Speaker 1: All right, So this stack of security management stuff you sent, it's uh, we're going through excerpts from the official is C two Guide to the eec IS smp CBK, which I mean, this thing's huge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a dense, a lot, it's a lot, It's packed with information.
Speaker 1: It's the ultimate guide for security pros it really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Our mission today is to kind of go through this and extract the gold. Okay, you know, like the actionable insights.
Speaker 1: Okay, so like, how do we you can actually use how do we make this? Yeah, how do we make this applicable to what people are doing out there?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: So we're aiming to give everyone a framework for not just understanding security, but really living it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. By the end of this, we're going to be covering how to build a really robust security framework, how to proactively spot those weaknesses okay before they become like big problems, and then also navigate the complex world of compliance and incident response.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's unback this starting with the foundation security leadership and management. I mean, why is this even important?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Does it really matter if like the CEO understands firewalls?
Speaker 2: It matters more than you think Okay, because you see senior management, they set the tone for the entire organization, so their understanding of risk it directly influences like budget decisions, resource allocation, and even like the overall culture of security awareness.
Speaker 1: So it's like a company can have all the latest security tech, but if the leaders don't get the why behind it, it's all.
Speaker 2: For show exactly. It's just checking a box at that point.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: A really great example is the Department of Homeland Security. If you look at their mission statement, it actually explicitly includes safeguarding cyberspace. Wow, so it's not just an IT thing for them. It's like, yeah, it's part breaked into their Yeah, it's like baked into their purpose.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense for a government agency. But why should a regular business, Like, why should they care about this high level buy in?
Speaker 2: Because a security breach can have a really devastating impact on any business. Okay, imagine the financial costs of downtime, the hit to your reputation, the legal ramifications.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a total nightmare that you want to avoid. Right.
Speaker 1: Prevention is key, But you know, I think a lot of people think of security as mostly an it department issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and while it is definitely at the forefront of a lot of these things, effective security leadership involves way more than just technical expertise. Okay, the soft skills they're actually just as critical.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that, So let's unpack that. Sure, what kind of soft skills are we talking about?
Speaker 2: So think about things like really understanding business processes, assigning roles and responsibilities appropriately.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And then also this is a big one, communicating risk in a way that people who aren't technical can grasp.
Speaker 1: Okay, So like communication, collaboration, big picture thinking.
Speaker 2: Big time.
Speaker 1: It's almost like it's almost like being a security leader is a management role.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is a management role. You know, you can have the most advanced technology in the world, but if your employees don't understand the why behind security protocols, it's all for nothing.
Speaker 1: Right, Because a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, exactly, and sometimes that weakest link is human.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, that's very often the case. So you need to build like a culture of security awareness that really does permeate the entire organization.
Speaker 1: Okay, So strong leadership sets the stage. Now, how do we actually translate that into a rock solid security structure, right, what are the building blocks?
Speaker 2: Okay? So that's where security life cycle managed comes in and staler alert. It's not just for software development anymore. Wait really yeah? Oh okay, So think of it like building a house. You wouldn't start construction without a blueprint, right. Well, you shouldn't launch any project without considering security at every single stage, from the initial planning phase all the way to deployment okay and beyond.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about like checking off boxes on a checklist, it's about baking security into like the DNA of every project from the get go.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent okay. And this is especially important when you're dealing with prototypes.
Speaker 1: Ah. Prototypes, Yes, fun, always exciting, yeah.
Speaker 2: Buggy, a little buggy, right, and often insecure because prototypes they're typically built for speed and functionality, not necessarily security. Okay. So that can create a lot of risks if you're not careful.
Speaker 1: So how do you balance that need to move quickly with need to protect sensitive data?
Speaker 2: You need to be acutely aware of the risks that are involved in prototype, and then you need to from the very beginning implement safeguards. Okay, So like strong access controls, data encryption, regular security assessments, like you need to treat that prototype with the same level of security that you would a live system.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense because I mean a data breach during the prototype phase could be just as damaging as a breach and a finished product.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, But you know, how do we future proof security?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean technology changes so quickly it does.
Speaker 2: It changes so fast it does, and that's where it becomes really critical to understand how those emerging technologies impact security. Okay, So like cloud computing, virtualization, these things, they bring a lot of great opportunities I do, but they also bring new vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Right, because with new technology comes new ways to exploit it exactly. So we need to be proactive, not reactive, one.
Speaker 2: Hundred percent before you jump on the bandwagon of the latest tech trend. Yeah, you need to really thoroughly assess the security implications. And it's a continuous learning curve in this field.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm already seeing that security management is way more than just an IT issue. This is a company wide it is endeavor. Okay. And speaking of company wide endeavors, let's talk about compliance.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Compliance the word that strikes fear into the hearts.
Speaker 2: Of many A lot of people don't like that word.
Speaker 1: But honestly, where do we even begin with that?
Speaker 2: Okay? Let let's kind of demystify compliance a little bit.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You mentioned nissed SP eight hundred and fifty three, which is a fantastic framework. Okay, especially if you're operating in the US. Okay, but remember it's not the only game in town.
Speaker 1: So there are other options out there. Oh absolutely, Yeah, what are some examples?
Speaker 2: So, for instance, there's ISO twenty seven zero two point two zero one team okay, which offers more more of a global perspective, and it provides guidelines for implementing and maintaining information security management systems.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. Okay, So we've got these frameworks, but honestly, I'm looking at them. They feel pretty dense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can be a bit overwhelming. Yeah, and overwhelming for sure.
Speaker 1: So how do we actually use them in like a practical way.
Speaker 2: Think of them as blueprints, not like rigid rule books. You can leverage these external frameworks to actually create your own internal standard guidelines, procedures, ones that actually align with your organization's specific needs and risk profile.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of like taking inspiration from a recipe but adapting it exactly to your own taste.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. Yeah, the key is to understand the underlying principles of these frameworks and then tailor them to fit your unique operational context.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. Nobody wants to surprise audit.
Speaker 2: He likes the surprise audit.
Speaker 1: No, how can we proactively prepare for those?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So audits can definitely be nerve wracking, but if you understand what auditors are looking for, it becomes way less daunting. Okay, So they're primarily looking for evidence that you're following establish best practices and meeting those compliance requirements. So having things like really clearly documented policies, conducting regular security assessments, implementing a solid vulnerability management program, those are all like key pieces of the puzzle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and don't forget about like those annual contingency plan exercises.
Speaker 2: Those are always oh yeah, fun, those are crucial demonstrated to make.
Speaker 1: Sure that your plans are more than just words on paper exactly. Yeah, oh yeah, those exercises not exactly my favorite part of the job, but I get why they're important.
Speaker 2: They're not the most exciting thing in the world. But yeah, you know, the type of exercise you conduct should really align with the impact level of the systems that you're trying to protect, right, Okay, So for low impact systems, ye, like a tabletop exercise might be enough, but for high impact like mission critical systems, you need to be doing more comprehensive, like full scale deployment exercise.
Speaker 1: So it's all about aligning, like the intensity of your testing, yes, with the potential consequences of a failure exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, And here's a pro tip, use those test results, Yeah, to continuously improve your preparedness. Every single exercise is a chance to learn and refine your processes.
Speaker 1: So it's a cycle of like plan, test, adjust, repeat, Never let those.
Speaker 2: Plans, never let them get stale.
Speaker 1: It's at stale. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Security is a very dynamic process. It requires constant vigilance and adit patient. And remember it's not just about your internal team. You also need to consider.
Speaker 1: It third party vendors, yes, and con your extended network all that they need to be part of the equation too. Yeah, right, because a weak link in your supply chain can undermine your whole security posture. For sure, Yeah, so you need to ensure that any third party you work with meets your security standards absolutely, and that's where those service level agreements, the slas, becomes so critical.
Speaker 2: They are critical. Yeah, the slas, they're your way of defining expectations and holding vendors accountable. So don't just blindly sign on the dotted line. Make sure that that contract clearly spells out the services that are being provided, the performance metrics, and importantly the penalties for non compliance.
Speaker 1: Right, so no surprises down the line exactly. But with contracts, I always feel like the devil's in the details.
Speaker 2: Oh, it always is.
Speaker 1: So what specific things should we be paying really close attention to?
Speaker 2: I would say, always pay close attention to the resolution processes that are outlined in the contract. Okay, so what happens if there's a dispute? What are those escalation procedures? You need a clear path to resolution in case things go.
Speaker 1: Wrong, and we need to make sure those service levels actually meet our needs, especially when dealing with mission critical systems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a delayed response from a vendor in a crisis that could have disastrous consequences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could be really bad.
Speaker 2: So it all comes back to due diligence, don't just take their word for it, like, really scrutinize those contracts. Yeah, and make sure they're actually aligning with your security requirements.
Speaker 1: Okay. I think we've covered a lot of ground on compliance we have. Is it time to finally tackle risk management?
Speaker 2: I think it is. Yeah, all right, let's do it. And we're talking risk management. It's really crucial to first understand your organization's risk appetite.
Speaker 1: Risk appetite, So like, how much risk are we comfortable with?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly how much risk are we okay with access in pursuit of our business objectives?
Speaker 1: Right, So it's like we don't want to be too reckless, but we also don't want to stifle innovation exactly.
Speaker 2: You don't want to be so cautious that you're not actually getting.
Speaker 1: Anything done, right exactly.
Speaker 2: So it's about striking that balance, that delicate balance.
Speaker 1: That's a tightrope block. That's tough.
Speaker 2: It is. It is a tightrope block.
Speaker 1: And that's where a formal risk management program comes in.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, a well defined program. It provides you with a really structured approach to identifying, assessing, and prioritizing risks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so break it down. How do we actually do that?
Speaker 2: So it's a multi step process. The first thing you have to do is identify the assets that you're trying to protect. Okay, so think data, systems, intellectual property, even your people.
Speaker 1: Okay, so those are like the crown jewels, right exactly.
Speaker 2: You need to keep those the things you absolutely need to protect safe. Yes, Next, you need to identify the potential threats.
Speaker 1: To those assets natural disasters.
Speaker 2: Natural disasters, yes, cyber attacks. Cyber attacks big one these days, big time, human error, even like a disgruntled employee.
Speaker 1: Okay, so think broadly, think.
Speaker 2: Broadly, and consider all angles.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we've got our assets and our threats. Right now, you need to assess the vulnerabilities that could allow those threats to exploit your assets.
Speaker 1: So these are the weaknesses in our defenses exactly. Okay, give me some examples.
Speaker 2: So like weak passwords, unpatched software, lack of physical security.
Speaker 1: Those are the cracks in the fortress wall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tho are the cracks that we need to seal up.
Speaker 1: We need to seal up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So once you've identified those vulnerabilities, you need to kind of evaluate two things. The likelihood of each threat actually occurring, and then the potential impact if it does.
Speaker 1: So that's where we assign a risk rating.
Speaker 2: To each one, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but how do we do that in like a systematic way?
Speaker 2: The risk matrix comes in. It's a visual tool actually, like a grid, and it helps you assess both the likelihood and impact of each risk and then helps you categorize them based on their severity.
Speaker 1: So you can visually see like which risks are low level annoyances and which ones are like potential company killers exactly.
Speaker 2: Exactly. So by plotting your risks on the matrix, you get a really clear picture of which ones pose the biggest threat right and require immediate attention.
Speaker 1: Okay, So those are the ones that we prioritize when it comes to mitigation strategies.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what does risk mitigation actually look like?
Speaker 2: So, risk mitigation is all about reducing the likelihood and or impact of those high priority risks.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about like implementing safeguards controls to protect those vulnerable assets exactly. So things like strong passwords, multi factor authentication, encryption, regular security awareness training for our employees.
Speaker 2: You nailed it, okay, So it's all about layering those defenses to create a really robust security posture.
Speaker 1: I like that. This is like building a medieval castle.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to think about it.
Speaker 1: Multiple layers of protection, I get that much harder to breach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good analogy.
Speaker 1: But even the best built castle needs constant upkeep right it does. So, how do we make sure our risk management efforts, yes, stay relevant in this ever changing threat landscape.
Speaker 2: That's where the ongoing part of risk management comes in. Okay, so you need to regularly reassess your risks, you know, taking into account new technologies, yeah, emerging threats, right, and changes within your own organization.
Speaker 1: So it's not like set it and forget it.
Speaker 2: No, it's definitely not a set it and forget it. You need to be constantly evaluating in evolving your.
Speaker 1: Approach, right, because new threats emerge all the time, all the time, and old threats can resurface in new and creative ways.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: So this brings us back to the importance of security awareness training absolutely for our employees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because even with the best technology in place, human error can still be a major vulnerability.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean people click on phishing links, they do, they fall for social engineering scams, they inadvertently expose sensitive data.
Speaker 2: It happens all the time.
Speaker 1: And those mistakes can have huge.
Speaker 2: Consequences, huge consequences. That's why regular engaging relevant security awareness training is so crucial.
Speaker 1: It's about making security everyone's responsibility. Yes, not just the IT department's burden exactly. But how do we make sure the training actually sticks.
Speaker 2: That's a great question and one that will dive into more in part three. Okay, but for now, let's maybe take a pause.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a good place to stop.
Speaker 2: Give our listener a chance to absorb all this information.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is dense stuff, it is, but it's fascinating how all these pieces fit together to create a holistic security strategy.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: I'm starting to feel like I could actually pass a security audit.
Speaker 2: Now, don't get ahead of yourself. There's still more to learn. Okay, but you're definitely on the right track.
Speaker 1: Okay, So to our listener, if you're feeling a bit overwhelmed, take a deep breath.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We'll be back soon with the final part of our deep dive, where we'll tackle contingency planning and incident response.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, those what if scenarios. Yeah, nobody wants to think about them.
Speaker 1: No, but you have to be prepared.
Speaker 2: But you have to be prepared exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're back back for more part two of our deep dive into security management. We left off talking about compliance, right, and honestly, I'm still a little fuzzy on what that actually means like in practice.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, so let's try to break it down a little bit. Okay. So you know, we were talking about those frameworks like NISSED SP eight hundred fifty three, which is, like I said, a great framework, particularly if you're operating in the US, but it's not the only one out there.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what are some other options?
Speaker 2: So there's you know, like ISO twoty seven thousand and two point two zero one team, which offers more of a global perspective, okay, and it basically provides guidelines for implementing and maintaining information security management systems.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. Okay, So we've got these frameworks. Yeah, they can feel really dense and overwhelming. They can, So how do we actually use them in a practical way?
Speaker 2: Right? So, I think the best way to think about it is like they're blueprints okay, not rigid rule.
Speaker 1: Books, right, So it's not just about checking boxes exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you can leverage these like external frameworks to create your own internal standards, guidelines, and procedures. Okay, and you want these to really align with your organization's needs and its risk profile.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it's like taking inspiration from a recipe, yes, adapting it to your own taste exactly.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy. The key is to understand the underlying principles and then tailor them to fit your unique operational context.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Okay, So nobody wants to surprise.
Speaker 2: Audit, No, nobody does.
Speaker 1: How can we proactively prepare for those and avoid any major headaches?
Speaker 2: Audits can definitely be nerve wracking, yeah for sure, but if you understand what the auditors are actually looking for, it becomes much less daunting. So they're primarily looking for evidence that you are following establish best practices and meeting those compliance requirements. So things like you know, having really clearly documented policies, conducting regular security assessments, implementing a solid vulnerability management program. Yeah, those are all key.
Speaker 1: And don't forget about those annual contingency plan exercises.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, those are crucial too. They're really important for demonstrating that your plans are more than just work it's.
Speaker 1: On paper, right, Yeah, those exercises not exactly my favorite part of the job.
Speaker 2: Not always the most exciting though, but I get why they're important. Yeah. And you know, the type of exercise you conduct should really align with the impact level of the systems that you're protecting, right right, So for low impact systems, a tabletop exercise might be enough, but for high impact, like mission critical systems, you really need to be doing those more comprehensive, full scale deployment exercises.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it's about aligning, like the intensity of your testing, yes, with the potential consequences of a failure exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: And here's a pro tip, use those test results, yeah, to continuously improve your preparedness. Okay, So every exercise is an opportunity to learn and refine your processes.
Speaker 1: So it's that cycle, plan, test A, just repeat. Never let those plans.
Speaker 2: Get stale, you ever let them get stale?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, this is good.
Speaker 2: Security is a very dynamic process. You got to remember it requires constant visual adaptation and it's not just about your internal team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we touched on this. You also need to consider third party vendors and contractors, yes.
Speaker 2: Your extended network, all of that. They need to be part of the.
Speaker 1: Equation as well, right, because a weak link in your supply chain totally can really undermine your whole security posture.
Speaker 2: It can bring down the whole house of cards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so you need to ensure that any third party you work with meets your security standards absolutely, and that's where those service level agreements, the slas, Yes, those are key, becomes so critical.
Speaker 2: They are critical. Yeah, So the slas are basically your way of defining those expectations and holding vendors accountable. Okay, so don't just blindly sign on the dotted line. Make sure that that contract clearly spells out the services that are being provided, the performance metrics, and importantly the penalties for non compliance.
Speaker 1: So no surprises down the line. But with contracts, I always feel like the devil is in the details.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure, what.
Speaker 1: Specific things should we be paying really close attention to?
Speaker 2: I would say, always pay close attention to the resolution processes that are outlined in the contract. So, like what happens if there's a dispute. What are the escalation procedures? You need a clear path to resolution in case things go wrong.
Speaker 1: And we need to make sure those service levels actually.
Speaker 2: Meet our needs absolutely.
Speaker 1: Especially when dealing with mission critical systems.
Speaker 2: Right, because a delayed response from a vendor in a crisis that could have disastrous consequences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: So it really all comes back to due diligence. Okay, you know, don't just take their word for it. Really scrutinize those contracts, make sure they're actually aligning with your security requirements.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think we've covered a lot of ground on compliance, I think so, yeah, is it time to finally tackle risk management?
Speaker 2: I think it is. Yeah. All right, So when we're talking about risk management, it's really crucial to first understand your organization's risk appetite.
Speaker 1: Risk appetite, so like, how much risk are we comfortable accepting?
Speaker 2: Exactly how much risk are we willing to accept? Yeah, in pursuit of you know, achieving our business objectives.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's like we don't want to be too reckless, but we also don't want to be so cautious exactly that we like stifle innovation.
Speaker 2: You don't want to stifle innovation. You don't want to be so scared to do anything that you just like stay stagnant exactly. So it's about striking that balance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a tightrope walk, for sure, it is.
Speaker 2: It is a tightrope walk.
Speaker 1: And that's where a formal risk management program comes in.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, so a well defined program. Okay, it gives you that structured approach to identifying, assessing, and prioritizing risks.
Speaker 1: So break it down. How do we actually do that?
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's a multi step process.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The first thing you have to do is identify the assets that you're trying to protect. So think you know, data, systems, intellectual property, yeah, even your people.
Speaker 1: Okay, so these are like the crown jewels that we need to protect.
Speaker 2: Exactly, the things that you absolutely cannot afford to lose. Next, you need to identify the potential threats to those assets.
Speaker 1: So like natural disasters, natural disasters, yep, cyber attacks.
Speaker 2: Cyber attack is a big one these days, huge human error, even things like disgruntled employees.
Speaker 1: Right, so think broadly.
Speaker 2: Broadly, consider all angles. Okay, Right, so you've got your assets, you've got your threats, right, now you need to assess the vulnerabilities okay that could allow those threats to exploit your assets.
Speaker 1: So these are like the weaknesses in our defenses.
Speaker 2: Exactly, the weaknesses in your defenses.
Speaker 1: Okay, give me some examples.
Speaker 2: So things like you know, weak passwords, patch software, yeah, lack of physical security yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay. So these are the cracks and the fortress walls that we need to seal up.
Speaker 2: Exactly the cracks we need to seal up. Okay. So once you've identified those vulnerabilities, you need to evaluate two things, the likelihood of each threat actually happening, and then the potential impact if it does.
Speaker 1: So that's where we assign that risk rating each one exactly. Okay, But how do we do that in a systematic way?
Speaker 2: Right? So that's where the risk matrix comes in. So this is a visual tool. Usually it's like a grid, and it helps you assess both the likelihood and impact of each risk, and then helps you categorize them based on their severity. So you can visually see like which risks are low level annoyances and which ones are potential company killers, right exactly. So by plotting your risks on the matrix, you can get a really clear picture of which ones pose the biggest threat and require your immediate attention.
Speaker 1: So those are the ones that we prioritize when it comes to mitigation.
Speaker 2: Strategy use exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what does risk mitigation actually look like?
Speaker 2: Okay, So risk mitigation it's all about reducing the likelihood and parador impact of those high priority risks. Okay.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about like implementing safeguards controls to protect those vulnerable assets exactly. So things like you know, strong passwords, John passwords, Yeah, multi factor authentication, encryption, regular security awareness training for employees, you nailed it. Okay.
Speaker 2: So it's all about layering those defenses to create that really robust security posture.
Speaker 1: I like this, This is like building a medieval castle.
Speaker 2: It's great analogy.
Speaker 1: Multiple layers of protection make it that much harder to.
Speaker 2: Breath exactly, It's much harder to get through.
Speaker 1: But even the best built castle needs constant upkeeper, it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So how do we make sure our risk management efforts stay relevant in this ever changing threat landscape?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where the ongoing part of risk management comes in. You need to regularly reassess your risks, you know, taking into account new technologies, emerging threats, changes within your own organization.
Speaker 1: So it's not set it and forget it.
Speaker 2: No, it's definitely not a set it and forget it. You've got to be constantly evaluating and evolving.
Speaker 1: Your approach because new threats emerge all the time, all the time, and old threats can resurface in new and creative ways.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the bad guys are always coming up with new stuff.
Speaker 1: So it brings us back to the importance of that security awareness training for employees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because even with the best technology in place, human error can still be a major vulnerability.
Speaker 1: I mean, people click on phishing links, they do, they fall for social engineering scams.
Speaker 2: Happens all the time.
Speaker 1: They inadvertently expose sensitive data, and those mistakes can have huge.
Speaker 2: Consequences, huge consequences. Yeaheah. That's why you know, regular engaging relevant security awareness training is so important.
Speaker 1: It's about making security everyone's responsibility, not just the IT departments burden exactly. Yeah, but how do we make sure the training actually sticks.
Speaker 2: That's a great question, and it's one that we're actually going to dive into in Part three.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, good, but.
Speaker 2: Maybe for now, let's take a little pause.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is a good place to stop for now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give our listeners a chance to absorb all of this information.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is dense.
Speaker 2: Stuff is dense. There's a lot to unpack here.
Speaker 1: But it's really fascinating how all these pieces fit together to create like a holistic security strategy.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: I'm starting to feel like I could actually pass the security audit.
Speaker 2: Now. Oh, don't get ahead of yourself. There's still more to come. Okay, okay, but you're definitely on the right track.
Speaker 1: Okay, So to our listener, if you're feeling a bit overwhelmed, take a deep breath.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take a break.
Speaker 1: We'll be back soon with the final part of our deep dive, where we'll tackle contingency planning and incident.
Speaker 2: Response if scenarios, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, those what if scenarios.
Speaker 2: That nobody wants to think about, but we have to be prepared for But we have to be prepared for it exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're back for the final act of our security management deep dive, which covered a lot from leadership to compliance to risk management. Now it's time to kind of face the music, like what happens when despite our best efforts, things go wrong.
Speaker 2: That's where contingency planning and incident response come in. Okay, So it's all about preparing for those what if scenarios, the moments when a breach occurs, system goes down, or disaster strikes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's dive into contingency planning first. Okay, what are the essential elements of a truly effective plan?
Speaker 2: All right? So the foundation of any good contingency plan is really identifying your critical business functions. So those are the processes that are absolutely essential to keeping your operations running and the revenue flowing.
Speaker 1: So if those critical functions go offline, the entire business grinds to a halt.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: That's what we need to protect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are the things you have to protect at all costs, at all costs. So once you've pinpointed those critical functions, you need to figure out, like, what's the acceptable downtime for each one?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So this is known as the recovery time objective or RTO and RTO Okay, Yeah, So the RTO is basically how long you can afford to have that particular function offline before it really starts to hurt the business. Okay, and it's going to vary depending on how critical that function is. Some things need to be back online within minutes to avoid major disruptions. Others might have a little bit more of a flexible timeframe.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've identified what needs to be protected and how quickly it needs to be restored. What comes next in building out this plan?
Speaker 2: So now you need to actually develop like detailed procedures for recovering each of those critical functions.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is like, step by step how do we get this thing back online?
Speaker 2: Exactly? This includes things like, you know, identifying alternate processing sites, establishing like clear communication channels, having a solid process for restoring data from backups.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's like having a playbook for getting the business back on its feet exactly. Yeah after a disaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's your roadmap for recovery.
Speaker 1: Okay, and don't forget about the human element.
Speaker 2: Well, the human element's huge, it is, right, So your plan needs to address things like employee safety okay, communication protocols during an actual crisis, and then of course you need to be doing ongoing training to be cure that everybody knows their roles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because in a crisis, clear communication and a well trained team can make all the difference.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it can be the difference between a minor hiccup, yeah and a complete catastrophe.
Speaker 1: Okay, but how do we know if the plan actually works.
Speaker 2: That's where testing comes in.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You've got to put your plan through its paces.
Speaker 1: Regularly, So like simulations, fire drills, tabletop exercises, whatever it takes, whatever it takes to make.
Speaker 2: Sure everyone knows what to do exactly when the pressure's on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because testing it helps you identify gaps in the plan. You can refine your procedures, you can build confidence within your team.
Speaker 2: Right because it's a lot less stressful to work out those kinks. Oh yes, in a simulation than in a real crisis.
Speaker 1: Way less stressful.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay. So let's say the unthinkable happens. Ok and despite our best efforts, a security incident does occur. What are those immediate steps we need to take?
Speaker 1: Okay? So that's when your incident response plan kicks in.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So this plan should outline like a really clear set of actions to take in the event of a security breach okay, or any other type of incident.
Speaker 2: So it's like a crisis management playbook.
Speaker 1: Yes, specifically for security incidents.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So the first priority is containment. Okay, you got to stop the bleeding.
Speaker 2: So so isolate the affected systems. Yeah, shut down those compromised network connections, prevent the incident from spreading further.
Speaker 1: Damage control.
Speaker 2: Damage control is key, yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, but then what okay, So.
Speaker 2: Then you move into the investination phase. Okay, so you need to start gathering evidence, okay, to figure out the scope and the nature of the incident. Okay. This is where those digital forensic skills that we talked about earlier becomes super important.
Speaker 1: So we're like digital detectives.
Speaker 2: Carefully document Yeah, documenting the scene of.
Speaker 1: The crime, preserving evidence for analysis.
Speaker 2: Exactly, because proper evidence collection it's crucial for understanding what happened, why it happened, who might be.
Speaker 1: Responsible, and for any potential legal action.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Yeah, you need that solid evidence.
Speaker 1: Right, and we've got to make sure we're following those chain of custody procedures.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, super important.
Speaker 1: To keep that evidence untainted, untainted, yes, yeah, Compromised evidence is just as bad as having no.
Speaker 2: Evidence, right exactly. So once you've contained the damage, you've gathered your evidence, it's time to move into eradication and recovery.
Speaker 1: All right, so this is where we clean up the mess and get things back to normal.
Speaker 2: Exactly, get everything back to normal as quickly and as securely as possible.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what does that actually look like?
Speaker 2: So this phase involves removing any malware, restoring data from backups, rebuilding any compromise systems, basically taking all the steps to get your operations back online and functioning securely.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a really complex process. Can be potentially time consuming.
Speaker 2: It can be time consuming, it can be very resource intensive, which is why having that really detailed incident response plan is so important. The more you can anticipate and plan for, the smoother the recovery process is going to be.
Speaker 1: Okay, and once we've recovered, the work isn't done.
Speaker 2: Right, No, the work's not done. You've got to learn from what happened.
Speaker 1: We need to learn from our mistakes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, every security incident, no matter how small, is a learning opportunity.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: So it's crucial to conduct like a really thorough post incident review.
Speaker 1: All right, So we dig deep, dig deep, figure out what went wrong, why it went wrong, and who can we prevent it from happening again exactly.
Speaker 2: The goal is to continuously improve, strengthen your defenses, make it harder for the attackers to succeed in the future.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've covered contingency planning, incident response, the hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you g gotta be ready for anything.
Speaker 1: Any final words of wisdom before we wrap up this epic deep.
Speaker 2: Dive, I would say remember that security is not a destination. It's a journey. The threat landscape's constantly evolving it is, so you got stay vigilant, hm adaptable, proactive, never let your guard down exactly, and don't be afraid to invest in the right resources like PE people, technology, training, training. You need all of that to build a really robust program.
Speaker 1: In the end, a strong security posture is an investment, not an expense.
Speaker 2: Well said. It's about protecting your most valuable assets, right, your reputation and your future.
Speaker 1: Well, I have to say, I feel like I've earned an honorary CISSP certification after this deep dive.
Speaker 2: You're well on your way. You're a security champion.
Speaker 1: And to our listener, we encourage you to take what you've learned here. Yeah, put it into practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't just let this information sit Start.
Speaker 1: Those conversations, assess those risks, build those defenses. Absolutely, never stop learning.
Speaker 2: Never stop learning. That's key in this field.
Speaker 1: The world of security is constantly changing, but with the right knowledge and a proactive mindset, you can stay ahead of the curve.
Speaker 2: You can stay safe out there.
Speaker 1: Until next time. Stay safe and secure.