Speaker 1: Now your host for playoff Dodger Toss.
Speaker 2: Sound off, Angelinos Tim kaits Well, the Dodgers had a chance to punch their ticket to their fourth World Series in the last eight years. Instead they're getting on the plane heading back to LA with a three to two series lead in the NLCS. Hi, everybody, and welcome to postgame Dodger Talk here on your home of the Dodgers and five to seventy LA Sports Star phone lines. Well, you know the number eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy as the Dodgers had a chance to win Game five, win three straight at City Field and get a berth to the World Series. Instead, they've got a fly back home workout tomorrow, and now they must win Game six unless they want to play Game seven on Monday night. And it's now a bullpen game on Sunday night at Dodger Stadium. Aziel fe Sean Manya who will go now for the New York Mets, who tonight pounded out twelve runs against the Dodgers, eight of which given up from by Jack Flarity, who will start right there? Jack Flarity tonight did not have it and did not have it from the get go, a leadoff single to Francisco Lindor of a walk to the next batter, Nemo, and the first two batters were on in the first inning, and two batters later, Pete Alonso a two to one pitch right over the middle of the plate, crushes it to right center field, a three to nothing Mets lead. He comes back out in the second inning a leadoff double. Somehow, some way, gets out of the second inning without giving up a run, despite Lindor crushing the ball almost fair for another home run for the Mets. Instead, it was foul down the right field line, and they get out of it with no runs scored in the second From the Mets, the third inning was a complete disaster. And at that point, if you're Dave Roberts, you have to go get Jack Flarity oh two count to Pete Alonzo to start off the third. It's a three to one game. The Dodgers had scored in the second. You put up a zero in the bottom of the second somehow, and it's still a three to one game. Bottom of the third inning, You're still in it. He walks Pete Alonzo after getting ahead o two in the count and a couple of pitches just not even competitive, Pete Alonzo not chasing him. Just one pitch fouled off and he walks. Pete Alonzo after getting ahead Zho and two. The next batter, Jesse Winker four straight pitches out of the strike zone for a four pitch walk. The first two batters of the third walked by Jack Flarity. Mark Pryor came out and talked to him. But nobody getting up in the bullpen. A three to one lead, shouldn't somebody be getting loose to start the third inning. I understand you need Jack Fleerry to give you some length you cannot cover with the high leverage relievers that you have down there for six or seven innings. I understand it. Dave Roberts said that I get it. But it's a three to one game in the third inning, and after the first inning, and then after the second inning, of which you dodged a bullet and you put up a zero, but barely in the second inning, the lineup turns over. It's the heart of the lineup with Lonzo starting off the third inning. Somebody needs to be getting loose. Somebody needs to start getting ready just in case things really go south in the third inning. You've got to keep it close. This Dodgers offense can score runs. We know that, we know what they can do. But you can't dig a hole so deep that you can't get out of it. But that's exactly what happened. Back to back walks to lead off the third inning, and still Jack Flarity stays in the game, facing Starlin Marte who doubles to left on a pitch that was eighty eight miles an hour over the heart of the plate. Two runs scored. It's a five to one game, all right. At this point, somebody go get Jack Flarity. It's a five to one game. It's still within reach. And I get there's nobody out in the second inning, and you still have to have a bullpen now cover at least seven innings. I understand that. But outside of one reliever, that being Blake Trining, it should be all hands on deck trying to pitch them back to back games. Game three in Game four, probably not up for this game, pitching it for the third day in three games. All right, everybody else should be good to go high leverage, low leverage, mid leverage. They should all be good to go to con tribute at some point in some way. A five to one game, at that point, you've got to cut the cord on Jack Flaherty. You have to. You have to. Then you piece it together, you find out some way to keep putting up zeros and let your offense chip away. In a five to one game, it's a game where you can clinch a World Series spot. Yet the Dodgers played it as if, well, we got game six, what about game six? We have to have pitching for Game six. We have to have a bullpen for Game six. You may not need a Game six if you can keep it close, chip away, keep the game within reach, and win Game five. I know it's could have, would have, should have, But at that point you have to think five to one game, all right, let's keep it there, Let's get somebody to get out of this inning, will work inning to inning, and we'll hope that our lineup would just put up a ten spot twenty hours ago, is gonna come and score some more runs than the one they'd already had on the board. You have to figure this Dodgers offense was one of the best so far in the postseason, scoring runs in punches is gonna score runs, and they eventually did score six total for you. But when you put yourself in a whole light they did, it's too big of a hole to get out of. But the hole should never have gotten that big three to one, I go get him after the Marte double five to one, Yeah, you're definitely gonna go get him. But after the Marte double three batters later, Alvarez single, it's six to one and he's still in the game. Lindor triple, it's a seven to one game and he's still in there with two outs. Nemo single to right, eight one game, and Jack Flaherty is still in pitching in an eight to one game. He gets Viento's to ground out to short inning, a five runs on four hit inning for the New York Mets and an eight to one lead. I get saving guys for a possible game six if you're late in the game and you want to save a couple of those arms. But in a closeout game, whether it's three to one and you can keep it right there, or you can keep it at five to one, and I'm gonna roll the dice with my offense, I'm gonna keep it at five to one and say, bullpen, do your stuff for seven innings. I need some of you guys to get an extra batter or two to piece together seven. So at that point I can give my offense to go out there and get me four runs. I can get my offense to get me back into this game. One swing of the bat, we're back in it. One big inning, a crooked number, and it's a tie game. We're right back in it. Three to one, all right, five to one, crooked inning, we're back in it. We chip away at it. I got confidence in my offense. They're gonna get more than one run. You have to roll the dice. You have a day off tomorrow and a game on Sunday night, plenty of time to get guys rest. And he's looking at the usage going in today's game. Michael Kopek has pitched once in this series, twelve pitches in Game three. Trina has pitched in the first two games in New York Games three and four, again probably off limits. Hasn't pitched three straight games all season long. Evan Phillips pitched thirty four pitches last night. Maybe he can get me an out, all right, All hands on deck, get me an out. Evan Phillips, Ryan Brazier. He didn't pitch in Game four. Daniel Hudson hasn't pitched since Game one. Anthony Bonda hasn't pitched since Game two. Yet you bring him in the eighth inning to get one batter. Brent Honeywell, you brought him in and pitched, and he soaked up innings and we applaud him. We'd tip our cap and our turtleneck to him, but he still gave up four runs. Ben kiss berryus through thirty one pitches last night. Maybe he can come out and give you something. Maybe not. That was actually on Wednesday, So he is available to pitch. Edgardo Henriquez. He pitched last night seven pitches. All right, maybe he's not available, but maybe he is. He's a young kid with an arm of a young kid that can go out there and help you out, and he hasn't pitched a lot this season. In general. Landon Nack, if you need somebody late in the game where you just don't feel like you're gonna catch the Mets and the game's out of reach, then you can bring in Landon Nack. He can soak up the rest of the innings and we get ready for Game six, but early on, in my opinion, to throw up the white flag and say we can't go to our high leverage guys quite yet. You know, we got a ride with Jack flairt he just a little bit longer, you're letting the game get out of reach, and it didn't necessarily need to get to that point. All right, play Devil's advocate with you, because some of the people are tweeting at me saying, well, what if the high leverage guys come in and they still get hit around? If Dwinker still triples in the fourth and McNeil still hits the sack fly and there's runners on base in traffic everywhere. All right, If we get to the fourth inning and it's ten to two, like it was, and let's say one or two of the higher le guys didn't have it tonight, that's when you pull the ripcord and say we don't have it. In Game five, we tried with Flarty, We tried with a couple of high leverage relievers to stop the bleeding and keep us in a game, and it didn't work. You know what we're gonna say, landing nac Britt honeywell, eat up the innings. If we can we can come back, great, but if not, we're getting ready for Game six and we still feel really good about how our bullpen is rested. But instead we never got that opportunity. It felt like Game two all over again, where landing that comes in has a five run inning puts them in a big hole. The Dodgers actually were one or two swings away from getting back into that Game two and winning it despite the early struggles. Tonight, down eight to one, it fell out of reach. It really felt out of reach when they went up eleven to five, then up eleven to six, and they go on and win it by a final of twelve to six. To me, it's frustrating. It's not second guessing in the moment. I imagine a lot of you Dodger fans are with me, because heck, my phone started to get hot from all the people calling and texting me wanting to know why Jack Flaherty was still in the game. I don't know, not my decision. I'm aren't there with you. Go to your high leverage guys. Stop the bleeding, at least for an inning, put up a zero. Stop the momentum of the New York Mets. Baseball is a game of momentum. They put up three runs, they threw five spot up in the third, it's eight to one. It should never got to that point five to one. Send somebody in there, get out of that inning a five to one deficit, and start piecing it together after that, because if you put up a zero in the fourth, a zero in the fifth, and next thing you know, the Dodgers are attacking on runs. Pa has is hitting a home run. It's all of a sudden, a five to three game, and who knows, maybe you tied it five and we got a whole new ball game in the sixth inning. But you can never get to that point because you don't go to your high end relievers to stop the bleeding early in the game. Why to win and you move on. This isn't a game in which you're down three to one and you need to win this game and you have to worry about game six and seven. I'm just as frustrated as you Dodger fans. Wholeheartedly don't understand why the Dodgers did not make an effort to stop it where it was at the third inning and continue to have Jack Flaherty out there, the thinking of, well, there's still a lot of baseball left in this series. Well, there doesn't need to be. If you win Game five and you keep it at a five to one game, or you keep it at a three to one game, you gotta have arms, the high ends, the high end guys ready for Game six or seven. The high leverage guys. Can't be responsible for that many innings in this game. Of course they can't. I get that. But somebody needs to come in and stop the bleeding in the third inning, needs to come in and stop that big inning from continuing to happen. When it's three to one and all of a sudden, Marte hits a two run double to make it five to one, it has to stop right there. It has to. You've got to stop it so you can keep your offense still within striking distance and not put your team in a hole yet again, not worry about Game six. In game seven, you still have a shot to win Game five, eight, six, six, nine, eighty seven two, five seventy. Let's head back out to Citey Field. Jack Flaherty got hit around tonight, eight runs, eight hits, a home run, two doubles a triple in three innings of work. Let's go back out and hear from tonight's starter.
Speaker 3: I feel like they made they made some adjustments, stead a good job, and I feel like the first time in a while I kind of let the game speed up on me a little bit and it didn't make the adjustments in game that maybe the only get made, especially after that first inning where they put a couple of good apouts together. Uh you tip your hat Topete there on. You put a good swing on a pitch, but it kind of showed and uh, yeah, I didn't make any I didn't make it. They didn't make adjustments after that, and uh I kept going uh back to the well and uh, you know, they did a good job making adjustments and I didn't.
Speaker 4: Is this one of those examples of when you do face a team twice in the seven game series and obviously you can kind of learn from them as you hopefully can prepare for the World Series and what a performance look like for in that series for.
Speaker 5: You' that's part of the the challenge of it.
Speaker 3: And you know what makes uh the postseason so interesting is facing a team two times in a span of of five days.
Speaker 5: And getting a chance to go right back at 'em.
Speaker 3: You know, they want to get get back for you know, what went on in game one, and I.
Speaker 5: Want to continue, you know, rolling through that. And that's how the way it went.
Speaker 3: They they were able to do a good job, and uh, the tip recap to them and h what they were able to do and the the swings that they took and the pitches they hit. So you know, we'll go back and figure some things out and uh, you know, make adjustments and you know, if I could take them all in the next game, I would, I would, but that's not the way the baseball works. So you know, Honey did a good job picking picking us up to giving us some innings, Like guys kept showing some fight, putting up six runs there. You know, just makes staining a little bit more because I do is be average and you know we're in this game, but you know, you gotta regroup, go back to LA and uh, you know, the next man up, and you don't exact.
Speaker 6: The game kind of speeding up, especially like that third ending is kind of what what wrong?
Speaker 7: Meditting to where you couldn't.
Speaker 3: That's coming into It's not it's not that you know, things keep going where its game speeds up and you gotta make adjustments and sometimes there that happens, and especially in the playoffs, things get getting magnified a little bit more. So, Uh yeah, I didn't didn't didn't make adjustments in terms of a bunch of different things that I'm not gonna get into what I think that those are. And but yeah, it just is, Uh did to think something hasn't happened in a while of letting the games speed up and letting it you know, things cycle that quickly. So that's it's baseball sometimes and you get a chance to learn from it.
Speaker 8: What was the biggest difference between Game one and tonight?
Speaker 5: Was it just that lack of adjustments? I think so.
Speaker 3: I think it's part of baseball's you gonna make adjustments game to game and and pitch to pitch ending the inning.
Speaker 5: And I did not, you know, I just didn't do that. They they did a really good job.
Speaker 3: You could see the swings they took and uh, you see their game plan.
Speaker 5: So you know, move on the next one.
Speaker 7: Jack.
Speaker 5: We all know your story, hometown guy. It's the team you cheered for.
Speaker 9: How frustrating is it for you that you weren't able to get it done for your team today.
Speaker 3: I don't think me being growing up here has any addition to being a frustrated I understand that this has been a whole story and everything, but like it, there's no added frustration because I grew up and I'd be pissed off no matter where I was playing.
Speaker 5: So kind of tired of that.
Speaker 3: But I I be frustrated no matter what, and I'd be static with that game one, no matter where I was pitching.
Speaker 5: So no matter what, it's frustrating.
Speaker 3: So it sucks, but you know, we got another one. We get to go back to La and uh, you don't get created by our fans.
Speaker 5: I was surprised for you to. Pete was able to go down and get that ball and kind of equity type man. He's a good player.
Speaker 3: I watched him take take a change up below earlier this year when I was with Detroit and do the same thing with it, So you know, there's there's there's a reason why he's he's He's good at what he does and sometimes you tip your cap and make a better pitch.
Speaker 7: The Bilo was a little down.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like the command was off.
Speaker 10: Is that situation, like you talked about, where it just your body made it wasn't moving in the right.
Speaker 5: Way or I felt good good going in.
Speaker 3: I didn't really look up too much to see how it was coming out.
Speaker 5: The hitters would tell you that. But the command was I mean, walked forward.
Speaker 3: I didn't been really good about not doing that all year and those just get it, you know, amplified in the playoffs. So again he's just just regroup, hope to get another one and hopefully that this guy's picked me up.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Jack Flerity handled it well there talking to the media, and yeah, I liked his answer about the fact that it's because he's a homegrown kid from LA doesn't mean more or less. You know that it hurts the start tonight against the Mets. Yeah, impressive from Jack flarerity to go and meet the media and talk about his outing. I'm a little surprised nobody asked him about his velocity and if he feels okay and maybe an explanation as far as why the v LO is down and the command wasn't there. He talked about adjustments and the game's speeding up on him. Mark Pryor went out there once to talk to him, and then Starling Marte hit the double after that, so there was a break in the action. But I understand what he means. The game's speeding up on you, and nexty you know, it's the next batter and the next batter, and you just can't get it out and you're struggling. You're looking around for somebody to help you or something to get you out of this inning. I get that. I understand what he's talking about there. But at the same time, nobody wanted to ask him why he's throwing eighty eight ninety ninety one miles an hour on his fastball and his sinker and not having any control of his offstbed pitches. His slider really had no bite on it at all. Tonight interesting more interested in asking about the storyline of being a kid from Burbank. Apparently, so eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy a disappointing nine for the Dodgers, a game in which they clinch a berth in the World Series. If they can beat the New York Mets. Riding the momentum of a ten to two win last night, they come out today had an opportunity by the way, in the first inning, you can't can't do this without saying that the first inning, second and third, nobody out. The Dodgers a golden opportunity to take the lead in this game six Taoscar Hernandez grounds out to short. Otani doesn't go home and score. The infield was deep up the middle and the corners were pinching in a ball hit to the middle of the infield, you're going on contact, you're scoring because they're going to throw it to first to get the out and give up the run, which they did. He didn't run, and the Dodgers left Otawanni at third and stranded Mookie Bets at second because Freddy Freeman lined out to Pee Alonzo and then Tommy Edmond struck out to end the inning. So instead of taking a one to nothing lead, grabbing the momentum and really putting your foot on the Mets to have to answer in the first inning, it's a zero zero game and Jack Flairity maybe goes out there with confidence instead single walk. Two batters later, Pete Alonzo good night, four hundred and thirty two foot home run and the Mets take a three to nothing lead. Again it's three to one. After the Dodgers scored in the second, it's three to one in the third until the Marte double, it's five to one. I'm gonna say it again. Nobody warming up, Nobody ready to go in a three to one game. You're Dave Roberts. In my mind, this is just me speaking. I can't let the game get away any more than that. It's already three to one. If he continues to get outs like he did and get out of a jam like he did in the second inning, great, okay, he's gonna go back out there, a lead off walk after having an two count on pin Alonso to go, then for to throw four straight balls, and then four straight balls not even close to Winker first and second. Nobody out a three to one game? And Marteu, where's the bullpen? Where's where's the reliever to come in and stop the bleeding? You leave Jack Flerty out there, gives up a two run double. It's five to one that point, it's lights out. I'm sorry. I go get him. I say, Jack, you didn't have it tonight. We're gonna have the bullpen covered tonight and try to keep this game within reach. At five to one, instead, they leave him out there. He scores three more, gives him a three more runs, and it said eight to one. Mets lead. Eight to one. Mets lead at that point, and the Dodgers could not come back. They made it close. Mookie Bets hit a home run in the sixth inning that made it a ten to six game. Dodgers were still right there, nobody out sixth inning, ten to six game, but they couldn't get any closer, and they couldn't score any more runs. In fact, they give up two more and the Mets win it at twelve to six. All right, I've said what I had to say. Let's go out to the phones. Thanks for being patient, Javier and all Hammer start things off here on postgame Dodger Talk. Go ahead, and Avier, thank you.
Speaker 8: For taking my call.
Speaker 11: What a disappointing, embarrassing game to watch. I guess Dave Roberts and the management staff didn't listen to what his players were saying last night, how they wanted to close out the series today. Right, you have a day off tomorrow if you throw your big guns and your big guns don't work, but you got to give the team a chance. I just lost for words this You got to give the gun a chance. We've all I gotta say. I just I can't say anymore. I think everything you said is like fought on and it's just so frustrating because what if you've just woken up a giant. You can't get complacent. That's complacent managing. And that's all I have to say. You can taking my call, all right?
Speaker 2: Have you here? I'm right there with you. I can't be at a lost words because this Dodger talk, and I got to say something. But I'm frustrated because we saw this in Game two, the Dodgers not going to their high leverage relievers. We knew it was gonna bullpen game. The plan didn't work out. Initially, you fall behind, but the hole kept getting dug deeper and deeper and deeper. And you've got an offense that's the best in baseball, and in a playoff game, you're down one, two, three, four nothing. I still feel like this Dodgers offense can come back, but you put yourself down eight to one like they did tonight in the third inning, that feels like a hole that's really hard to come out of, and it's gonna take a lot of work from the bullpen the rest of the way, and certainly a lot of work from your offense to get back into this game. While all that being said, the Mets have momentum and they got the crowd back into the game, so you're working against that as well. Eddie and North Hollywood is next up here on Dodger Talk, Mets take Game five twelve to six. Hi, EDDI, how you doing?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 8: Thanks for having me on. I have a lot to say.
Speaker 7: Tim.
Speaker 8: First of all, I gotta say I love your passion. I will expecting me to here, Dave, but I guess he's gotta go fly back with our loser team.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 8: But to say the truth this game, you know, it really falls on the shows that Dave Roberts. You know, going back on game two. I listened to the w talk after game two and you know you really went in on you know, he went to Mac. He didn't pull him early and today clearly didn't have it. Unfortunately, you know, Jack was a stud on game one. For game two, he didn't have it. And after he walked the first two guys, I was got. I was at Chili. He's over here. I'm way over here in North cal I made a delivery and it's like pull this guy, pull him, and know he didn't pull them join us. He struggled, he didn't have it. He sent him back out there third aning a lunch of walks, winker walks. When he walked Winker, I was like, oh, come on, I was on I was on Twitter like X like somebody's in a bullpen, but nope, nobody was in the bullpen. And then he hits out double down the line, and you know t K is our best third baseman. But we had Monthy at that base and for some reason he was playing up on the grass so he couldn't backhand it. It went by him, and after that it was all downhill.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 8: Unfortunately, you know Freddy, I love Freddy, but right now, Freddy, he's hurting the team. If we got mixed up for yeah, he got mexed up for his base. If we got mixed up for his base and we got a third, who knows, maybe he can mix that play. But you know what, We're gonna go back to LA and I'm very confident I'm gonna be there.
Speaker 7: I'm all right.
Speaker 2: I appreciate your phone call. I'll let you I'll let you go a lot of Dodger fans want away, and I guess I get your frustration, and uh yeah, it's it's a game at which the Dodgers win, and they move on a lot riding on it, and to treat it like, well, we got game six to fall back on, and uh yeah, we're down on early, so we're gonna stay away from our high, high leverage relievers. I just don't get it. I don't get it. I'm I'm a chips all in kind of guy, and that's just me personally. And I would have I would have kept fighting. I would have kept saying three to one, I'm gonna keep fighting, five to one, I'm gonna keep fighting again. I said it earlier. At that point, if it's the high leverage relievers come in a trying in a COPEC and they give up a couple runs and it's all of a sudden, a seven to one game or an eight to one game because those guys gave up the runs in the third and fourth inning or however it turned out, then fine, then I'm punting and then I'm going to land in neck and Brett honey Well and thinking, Okay, I'm not wasting ay more. High leverage, guys. I've used one or two of them here. We just don't have it. But to not even give them a chance to keep it at three to one, to keep it at five to one, to me, that's right. I'm different. Adam in the four h five, hopefully driving safe, two half the wheel, listen to Dodger talk. Hi doing, Adam?
Speaker 12: How about you?
Speaker 2: I'm okay, I'm okay. I'm a little frustrat right now. I think a lot of Dodger fans are.
Speaker 12: Yeah. Well, first off, thanks for taking my call. I just wanted to start off by saying, you know, I grew up in Northridge, din our Dodger fans for as long as I can remember, twenty twenty was the first championship I've ever seen or listened to at Dodger stadiums. But I'll be honest, I get as frustrated with a lot of Dave Roberts's decisions throughout the playoffs in most recent years. First time I want to shout out to go Bruins. You know, Eric Carrow, Dave Roberts Chase at league got to support my UCLA Ruins. But I honestly am not super upset with that decision. Being down five to one obviously is not an ideal place to play. We've been down that before and being able to come back. But you're in the driver's seat up three to one. I understand where you're coming from. But if you don't win this game, you have a day off brest those Bulkan's arms are gonna be okay regardless.
Speaker 2: Yep, you're right, Adam. I appreciate it. You're absolutely right. You have a day to get those arms rested. And I told you earlier what the status was of those relievers. Ben Kisparius pitched two innings or make that at Garl. Henriquez pitched two innings last night, thirty four pitches and an Indian and a third from Evan Phillips. Blake tried and pitched as well.
Speaker 8: Try it.
Speaker 2: I'm sure would take the ball asked. Evan Phillips would take the ball tonight in whatever capacity if asked. In a tight game, Henriquez is probably the only guy not available. Everybody else is available, and like I said, again, the high leverage relievers come in and they can't put a zero up and they'll have you in trouble, and all of a sudden they're tacking on more runs and it's turning into a blowout. Then you pull the ripcord and say we're gonna live to fight another day. We're not gonna use any more high leverage relievers, and we're gonna get ready for Sunday. But he didn't get to that point. You kept Jack Flaherty out there, runs kept coming in, and then you put the game out of reach at that point and didn't want to use the high leverage relievers. Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five, seven, will take a break, We'll come back. More of your phone calls. Yeah, a lot of frustration from Dodger fans. I understand. I understand your frustration. The Dodgers had a chance to close it out, finish this series and get ready for the Fall Classic, but instead they fly home now and have to get ready for Game six. We're gonna get into the Dodgers offense as well. Two guys in particular struggling Freddie Freeman. We may not see him in game six. Ta Oscar Hernandez, Where did you go? Where is ta Oscar Hernandez? Has anybody seen him here? In the NLCS? Oh for four tonite two strikeouts he is now hitless in the NLCS and struck out nine times. Your phone calls when we come back. It's postgame Dodger Talk. Mets win Game five of the NLCS tonight in New York, twelve to six. Right AI seventy e LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy LA Sport Be anywhere at any time and you can hear past episodes of Talk All Love those Things. Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app. We're streaming online. We stream every game too, Come find them. Back to Dodger Talk on AM five to seventy LA Sports stream.
Speaker 6: First base, out of the mound, Rookie Betts. It's a hard left field pushing Nemo back, and he turns around in Mookie Betts with a bomb all lead up home run for Bookie in the six and the Dodgers are within four.
Speaker 2: Mookie Betts goes deep. Andy Pajez goes deep twice. Not enough though, for the Dodgers, who fall to the Mets in Game five of the NLCS twelve to six to the final. Daniels Jeweler is the official sponsor of the Trip Around the Diamond stop by any Daniel Jeler's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and a fifty dollars gift card towards any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. There will be a game six on Sunday right here on a five to seventy LA Sports Marongo Casino. Dodgers on deck will start at four o'clock. First pitch at five eight. Shaman Naya, the left tender, will go for the Mets. Dodgers will go with a bullpen game. Alex and Montabello is next up here on postgame Dodger Talk. Hi, Alex, I've been better? How about you?
Speaker 9: Yeah, we could have been better.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 13: How is it this team, you know, could lose the opportunity of being the visiting team and could have scored first, left those two men on bay and could have finished it in New York.
Speaker 11: But no, they decide, you know, yeah, we could finish it at all.
Speaker 7: Why not?
Speaker 11: You know, it's it just brings back more PTSD.
Speaker 13: So the past season that you know they're all three to one, and you know the Mets is usually tie it up.
Speaker 11: Here at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 8: It's no doubt, man.
Speaker 2: I mean, you leave the door open. You leave the door open, Alex. I appreciate the phone call. That's the last thing you want to do is give this team any more life. And now they've got that. Coming back for a game six to Dodgers Stadium, they got a little bit of momentum. They're feeling good. They just put twelve runs up on your team, and now they've got their best picture of the postseason. Shaman and Nya, who just shut you down in Game two going in games, he's got all the confidence. The Mets got all the confidence coming back to Dodger Stadium. So yeah, you have to close the door when you have the opportunity. You have to step on their neck, so to speak, when you have the opportunity to take care of business and finish them off. And I know this team was ready, This team was focused. It's not an issue. This team was not ready for this game. That's not the case at all. But you have to take advantage of things. And I think at this game tonight, at the point where it got three to one then five to one, you had to get to the bullpen and you had to get to high end leverage guys for the Dodgers to keep it that way, you couldn't treat it as well. We just got to get innings. So we need somebody to get two or three for us. And who's that going to be? And we needed him, you know, to go out there and need some more innings because we didn't have the coverage. You worry about that as you go. You keep it as close as possible. I mean, hypothetically, if the Dodgers are down three to one or five to one, they come back, make it five to three, make it five to five, they take the lead, somehow they keep it a five to five game. It's a whole new ballgame. And maybe you go to a landed neck or Brent Honeywell to get two winnings and then you go back to highland leverage guys. Maybe you take the lead and you can afford then to go to a land in neck or Brent Honeywell with the lead and you win the game. You don't you have to worry about pitching game six in a bullpen Game eight six, six ninety seven two seventy. Adam and Phoenix is next up here on Dodger Talk. I, Adam.
Speaker 8: So I think we need some no panic here, We need optimism. You know we did Roberts said.
Speaker 12: What he did today.
Speaker 11: But you know what we need to go into game six and seven.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no panic, let's do this.
Speaker 11: Casey, I don't.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say it's panic, and I appreciate it, Adam. It's not panic. It is frustration because I think the Dodgers are still in control of this series. They still have the offense. I believe that's going to score runs and hopefully get to sham and Aya on Sunday. I have all the confidence in the bullpen, especially the high Land, the high leverage guys to get it done for the Dodgers. And you got Walker Bueller in case you need him in a Game seven. I'm confident the Dodgers need to win one of ten two games to go to the World Series. You've just now made it a little bit harder for yourself and now you're gonna have to actually get to Sean and I I'm not worried, I'm not panicking. I'm frustrated because this was a game you could have won, and I still feel you could have kept it close and given your offense a better chance to get back into the game eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five seventy. Daniel's next up here on Dodger Talk. Howre you doing, Daniel?
Speaker 13: Hello, Yeah, everybody else, I'm I'm frustrated because of the schematics within the game and you're only down two runs and then maybe four runs, you're within one swing of coming back. Maybe you bring in a high reliever for one or two and give your offense a fighting chance. But like you said, the risk is if if the game still is the Mets blowout, not only do you have to go back to Kelly for Game six, but you have two less high leverage guys doing it. That being said, though you don't give the Mets. These Mets, the way they've battled back all year long, they know what it takes to come back. I kind of feel like the position that it reminds me. They remind me where the Cubs were in twenty sixteen in the World Series. They were down three to one Game five at home, their final home game of the year. They won that one, and then all of a sudden Game six and seven happened. Everything about the misuperior Sean Manea, he has a chance to be you darbish again, and it's been proven he can do darvish things. Then all of a sudden, what happens if the bullpen game blows up again? Then you get a Game seven where it's fifty fifty and you're not guaranteed Walker Wheeler can get you a performance like right now, it's I jumped the frustration into more of pre determined anxiety because of what the Mets are still capable of, especially the arms race at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Daniel, appreciate it. It is an arms race, So I like the way you phrased that. But I still believe the Dodgers have the offense to get it done. Again. I'm not panicking. This is just frustration after a Game five in which the Dodgers I think, you know, could have fought, could have fought with more of an effort from the bullpen. And again it's it could have what it should have. It's a lot of what IFFs I mentioned it at the scenario if you do go to a highlight leverage reliever, a copek A trying in a Daniel Hudson in the situation in the second or third inning and they give up some runs, all right, then we deviate some more, and we go to a Landon Nack or a Brent Honeywell and ride them for as many innings as possible and hope the offense chips away. But to not even try to go to the high leverage relievers to stop the bleeding in that second and third inning, that's the problem I have with it. That's the problem I have with it. Willie in Alabama checking in on Dodger talking on this Friday night. How you doing, Willie?
Speaker 7: Great? Great? How you doing today?
Speaker 13: Missus team?
Speaker 2: I'm okay, I'm all right, I'm alright. I'm a little frustrated as you can hear about you, Willie.
Speaker 7: See one thing I don't like about Robert just that Robert give them up too quick and he had glag. Tomorrow is promos. Tomorrow is not proms. He should have stuffed that thing today ding to town, we find out flatterer did hand. But let's I get so aggravated with him like I did last year. Last year, I was I was saying that that that we need a coach that fight hard and never give up. That I don't like the thing Robert do I just do it because he would start starting pulling players in the late end when theyre behnd, you know, like they're like it's impossible, you know, for them to come back. I don't like it. Now. I've been a Darger fan every since nineteen part eight. O. Yes, uh, like my daddy was. Uh, my dad was a Darder fan. Uh uh, way before I was born and everything, and so I followed in his footsteps. But but I I I believe we need a coach that will fight and fight again.
Speaker 2: You've seen a lot of baseball, Willie.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: This Dodger team, they've got enough in the tank right game six, they can come back out. And this offense, who knows they can put up another big number. And we're talking about a Dodger blowout win this series, Willie, You've seen it. This Dodger team has scored runs. This this Mets team scored a lot of runs. It's been five games of blowouts on on either side. It's been crazy.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah, But but I feel like we could have won today, no doubt. I feel like we could have won today. You know, if he had to pulled him when it was three to one and he walked, that's quite better. I believe we should have pulled the right game.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, Willie, Willy. Great to hear from you. Don't be a stranger. Love hearing from you on Dodger talking. Do this more often? Please, thank you though absolutely Willy and Alabama been a Dodger fan since the forties. Yes, love hearing from Willy from Alabama. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Dodgers lose Game five of the NLCS tonight, twelve to six. Jack Flerry gives up eight runs in three innings. He got tagged for a three run home run from Pete Alonzo in the first, Dora scuored a run on a wild pitch in the second. It was a three to one game going to the third inning. That's when Sterling Marte hit a two run double with nobody out and runners on after back to back walks to lead off that third inning for the New York Mets. As will he agrees after that walk to Pete Alonzo, I mean he was ahead oh to two and then throws four straight balls to walk Pee Alonzo. At that point, somebody's got to be getting loose. Somebody's got to get up because it's a three to one game. We got to keep it right there. I know he just put up a zero in the second and Dave Roberts talked about that. He got out of trouble in the second inning. He gave up a leadoff double and then was able to get three straight fly ball outs, but not before Lindor almost hit one out by the way down the right field line. Gets out of the second inning, no runs, all right, got out of that one. Wasn't easy, though, And the third inning gets ahead, oh and two. Okay, maybe the first inning was a blip on the radar. Maybe the second inning got out of a jam. The thirty eight eating, he'll be lights out. Be back to Jack Flaherty. All right, he got that out of his system. Oh two to Pete Alonzo, four straight balls and then four straight balls to Winker. At that point, runners on first and second, nobody out. The leash is even shorter now if you're not gonna go get him, then all right, Starling Marte gets a two run double down the left field line, and it's a five to one game at that point. I can't afford to have it go any further me. I would have pulled him, high leverage reliever, get out of the inning if you can without any more runs coming across, and try to keep it a five to one game for as long as you can, knowing your offense at some point is gonna get going and at some point they're gonna score more than the one run that they did off a wild pitch. At some point, one of these guys is gonna hit it out. You're gonna string together hits. You're gonna have maybe one of those innings you put up a crooked number and you're right back into that game. Instead, runs get tacked on and you're out of the game. And the holest that's too big to get out of Tim and long Beach is next up here on Dodger Talk. How are you doing?
Speaker 8: Tim?
Speaker 10: Great name By the way, they had my namesake. I was going to skip formalities because I know you both had better evenings and everybody's touching on is you know I was one hundred percent with you on the high rade and not in a negative connotation with the not pulling clarity. I mean, this is a do or die game. Put them home and then get the rest. For the Yankees that have to fly more than likely the Yankees that have to fly cross country but I want to couple that with Dave Roberts, and I've been his biggest critic over the ten to twelve years, one of his biggest critics. And what bothers me or they start with a compliment. He came out of the gates for once, for five or six games straight, managing close to perfect as possible, right, making the right decisions with the pitchers, the batting order. I always say that these kids grow up hitting both sides of the plate all the you know, and then we have all these analytics that come into play. I know that's not only Roberts, but they come up hitting both sides of the plate, paying every position, and we got all his tinkering going on and it hasn't worked thus far. So not only with not pulling Clarity when you should pull Clarity. Everybody, every Dodger fannew.
Speaker 9: To pull him. But why is he shuffling the lineup now every night? I mean he was going with the same lineup in the Padre series in the first two games in this series without any tinkering, and now it's Freddy in the fort hole with an injury. It's pushing Will Smith to the I know he's struggling, but so with Showhy and Mookie. At one point you pay these guys. I mean maybe you have a different opinion, but you know, six runs should have been enough to win, that's the bottom line. But still coming back and getting eight, nine and ten runs. Why every night all of a sudden is he changing the batting order? This guy here, this guy there, this guy out, his lux injured? Why is he out for two games in a row. You know he got away with putting yea.
Speaker 2: Lux wasn't in there because you had a left hand, And I appreciate the phone call. We got to keep moving, Tim, but thank you for the call. Lux Was it in there to start because you had the left hander David Peterson out there, and most likely we're going to see Gavin Luck start on Sunday because you have Sean and I out there. And I'm guessing Freddie Freeman's not playing at least starting the game on Sunday one because of his ankle.
Speaker 1: In two.
Speaker 2: The left tender mania and the ankle is bothering Freddie Freeman so much right now. He was zero for five with two strikeouts, and he's got no extra base hits right now. For the Dodgers so far in this NLCS. So that is a struggle. Taoscar Hernandez to me and Will Smith are the two biggest mysteries. Where have they gone? Will Smith has struggled all year. You've dropped them in the lineup now to seventh and eighth respectively the last two games. And he's still late on fastballs. He's still not able to connect and square up the ball. Taoscar Hernandez, as great of a regular season as he had in the NLDS he had, he has absolutely disappeared. He is m Ia in this NLCS. Two punch outs tonight, oh for five. He's now hitless in this NLCS against the New York Mets. Let's get one final call in before we say goodbye. Let's go to If I don't get to you, I apologize.
Speaker 7: You know what is he?
Speaker 2: You've been waiting patiently and I appreciate.
Speaker 11: That is he?
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 14: I am so first lady thing this day? How it happened today, it's unacceptable.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 14: I agree with you with Dave Rob I'm really disappointed in him today. It was just totally ridiculous. It was I was really looking forward to reach every day, thank you to really my weekend and guy. Oh and one thing you can give day Rob with my phone in the bait Oh there, If you give him my phone in this, he can call me and I can live him because I'm just about ready to look it all right.
Speaker 2: I know you want to talk to him. I just don't feel comfortable giving his number to you. Is he But maybe if he hears this and he's listening podcasting on the long flight back from New York, maybe he'll reach out to you. If he does, that's great. Is I appreciate it? I hope it didn't ruin your weekend for good? I mean, it's only Friday night. The Dodgers are going to work out tomorrow, and there's still a Game six to be played, and heck, there's still a Game seven to be played. If necessary, they gotta win one game out of the next two. I like the Dodgers chances against the New York Mets team with Sham and Ya and who knows what's gonna be behind Manaya if they have to go to a game seven. But I think the Dodgers can get to Mania. Maybe his luck's gonna run out in Game six. He's had a good run. He's all of a sudden reinvented himself as the next Chris Sale. Maybe the wheels fall off for Shaman and Noya, as they did as the game went along. In Game two on Monday, they were able to get to him. Not before though they were in a hole big like they were tonight. Dodgers lose Game five of the NLCS. Thanks to Colin Ee. Thanks for all you Dodger fans for being a part of the show. Dodgers had a chance to clinch it and go onto the World Series, but the Mets lived to fight another day, and that will come on Sunday, Game six of the NLCS out of Dodgers Stadium. Well I'm wrong, Goo CAUSEEO Dodgers on deck beginning at four, first pitch in five Oh await bullpen game for the Dodgers. Leftender Shamanayah will go for the Mets. Until then, have a great, safe rest of your Friday night. Go out, decompress, enjoy yourself, be safe, and let's get ready to rock at Dodger Stadium on Sunday night. Let's get that place loud early and often, and let's celebrate on Sunday night. Sound like a plan until then, So long everybody