Speaker 1: Hey everybody, it's Tuesday, August fifth, twenty twenty five. Welcome to the Giant BombCast, Episode nine hundred and two. I'm your host, Jan Atchoa, still confused and confounded by dates and the passage of time, but here to help guide me through that. Co Captain of the ship.
Speaker 2: Jeff Grubb, I can't help you with anything. I'm just I'm just here, Jan, That's all I got for you. That's fantastic. We have a man that is untethered by time, definitions, numbers, science, and the presence and sense of light. Jeff Backlar. Holy shit, that's my intro.
Speaker 3: I feel I feel like we established all the opposites of the things that you just laundry listed.
Speaker 2: That's fine, Thank you for the intro.
Speaker 1: J Well, I was thinking, you're like the opposite of a Crystal, right, So like Crystal's capture light and you like light.
Speaker 2: I'm the black hole. That is true. You're very diffuse zero light escaping.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful to be here, beautiful to see you all back and healthy.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Whenever I need to like healthy, that's a different story. Who is healthy. Whenever I need to sleep in, I will just put up a picture of Jeff Blackler instead of a pair of black curtains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, visible light. We call them vantage Yeah, vanta j that's good. It's the most black. Yes. Uh.
Speaker 1: And last, but not least, you have the games, meaty. Uh, lock up your doors, uh, charge your crystals, spray cinnamon water in your front door.
Speaker 2: Because it's the first. It's the fifth of the month, but it was the first of the month. It's my.
Speaker 4: I like cinnamon.
Speaker 2: That's surprising.
Speaker 4: Really, Oh, Simon's great. I think I said before I like cinnamon so much. I have certainly eaten more tree wood in my life than like tree fruit.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's why it's surprising, Michael, because come from well and also what you know, there is a certain thing that's the closest partner in taste.
Speaker 2: With cinnamon, you know, And it's sure as ship. Ain't pizza.
Speaker 4: No, okay, I know people put cinnamon and apples together, but they're no, you get that out of there.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. They're they've been dating forever. Yeah, dating.
Speaker 4: Famously doesn't taste very much like apples.
Speaker 2: All right, well, leave apple jacks out of it. Cinnamon apple, Yeah, like, buddy, come on, they are found, they are seen together all the time.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so it's peanut butter and jelly. Guess what's in my sandwiches?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What we know you? Yes, you absolutely, I guess you do the word association game and you say to somebody cinnamon. I think a majority says the next word is appeah, like the family feud. That's like got like forty three yea, what's that.
Speaker 4: Green green green apple color? Oh sure, okay, I thought cinnamon was the key way cinnamon was.
Speaker 2: But sorry, sorry, it's the next step ahead. Yeah wait, wait, I'm sorry. Go peanut butter and jelly. You make them different.
Speaker 4: Jelly at all? No, no marmalades, no jelly, petrolium jelly.
Speaker 2: Like, what's the what's the opposite? Then? What is it? Just a peanut butter sandwich? Butter sandwich?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's just peanut butter. That's okay.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I put my dry cereal in the peanut butter sandwich. I have a little crunch in there before we get to bands.
Speaker 2: Hunchy peen never mind.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, I started saying something and then what he said sunk in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just let him live his life, just like, oh boy, this is the not this beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: This is the rest of my life when I think about it.
Speaker 6: You know, uh huh okay, cool, Hey, guys, Gang the wonderful Chuck Towski are our resident hacker, our our own it, our own engineer, A man of many traits who I learned in in the pre show makes his own sour kraut.
Speaker 2: That's exciting. Yeah, that's a that's a good move.
Speaker 4: That's bad you.
Speaker 2: You know, what you can tell Chuck is a guy with good gut health. You can just look at and be like, yep, he's got his gut situation.
Speaker 4: Online health is terrible for something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we know.
Speaker 3: In June we learned all about each other's good Biotic has been pro in this man's body.
Speaker 4: Con San Francisco for like two minutes, and like, I already had to buy a probiotic root beer because there's no other option.
Speaker 1: We have regular soda here, Mike, Oh.
Speaker 4: I could not get a diet a normal diet root beer. You're also too good to just have a McDonald's or a Wendy's at your airport. It's bacon, bacon, that's where you have to go to get your burgers.
Speaker 2: God the way yo, Okay, God, I want to trying to make a short of the way you said that Bacon so offended at the concept of this place.
Speaker 3: Baby, I'm sorry to cut you off. Mikey, how do you feel about honey?
Speaker 4: Honey's good like Wendy the Pooh.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, So you could do a Simon And Chad was like, yo, what about a peanut butter and honey sandwich.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sounds a little decadent. He didn't think dead decadent.
Speaker 1: Dandy even using the earth boy, even using the word dandy too much, Mike, and it's starting to make me feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I'll guess something else, is it?
Speaker 3: Because honey is b jam that's much better, only more jams.
Speaker 2: And throws up. That doesn't bother me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't care, all right.
Speaker 1: According back to Chuck Toowski, Chuck is putting together a premium only site beta. Chuck has has tirelessly been working on the new website, and we're announcing here and now that there will be a public beta for premium members. So if you are an existing premium member, you can also go to john bomb dot com slash join to help support us that way, but you get to test drive for a week or you know. The actual time duration still tbd, but starting August twelve, we're going to have a public beta includes a full video catalog all the shows, all the articles, reviews, live streams, all had free continuing on. You'll also be able to use the current GB email that you used to register for Premium to get access. Uh. Chuck is going to have a suggestion box a bug reporting form as well. The wiki is not going to be included in this beta. That project is still ongoing. And speaking about the wiki, Chuck is still looking for volunteers to help out. Use the wiki street Team channel on the GB discord. You should also join the Giant Bum discord. It's a great community. And yeah, the premium site beta is coming next week, folks.
Speaker 2: August twelf is next week, Yeah, August twelfth, next week, Yes, yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: I don't want to under I don't want to over sell it. This thing's coming together in a I think the best way to put is, we're all very happy with it. Right when I look at it, I just feel happy.
Speaker 2: And and so yeah, like let's let's be clear. If you're not a premium member now and you go sign up and you try to get into this. You're gonna get in and you're gonna be able to see the new website and partake and and see all the goodies and then off of your feedback and help shape what it looks like. So, yes, get in there, make that happen. Feel free to help us figure out what the future of the website is. And we are like dedicated to the website because we're realizing a lot of people are looking for a home base that is not a major platform, a major social media corporation that tries to control you via algorithms. We're just gonna be a cool place to hang out and if you're looking for that, we're going to try to continue to be that for you. So help us like focus on the things we should be focused on. Chuck could really use the help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can I see some fwc's for I fuck with Chuck in in chat please? Because Chuck, oh my god, absolutely, Chuck has been able to fix so many things that I I and we have had to just duct tape mid air like Backlar you use the phrase like refueling mid air a lot, but then I feel like also a lot of the time we are like patching holes in a boat constantly sure with like water, which doesn't make sense, but Chuck has been able to keep this boat to float.
Speaker 2: If we freeze the water, you can plug the whole better. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh I didn't think about that. Okay, okay, hard Yeah, but we're gonna keep plugging this folks throughout the week and until the site beta opens.
Speaker 2: It looks good, it looks cool.
Speaker 3: It's exciting, like all kidding aside, Like it's super exciting, like check it out.
Speaker 2: I really like people. I genuinely think people are gonna be blown away.
Speaker 3: Like we're sort of too close to the explosion, right we kind of like I get it, yep, but I think people are really gonna be blown away. Tremendous work by Chuck.
Speaker 1: Yes, Also, yesterday we were in a meeting with Chuck and Chuck was explaining something and he basically made a picture with numbers and I don't understand that.
Speaker 2: Oh it's awesome, out of me. Yeah, fastest loading web website. You're just gonna it's gonna blow your pants off, that's right.
Speaker 1: And if you're not wearing pants, elliot.
Speaker 2: It'll glove you. Yeah, your feet, we'll come right off it'll be crazy.
Speaker 1: Holy smokes, Wow, please take your shoes off before he listened to the podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, gang, you know hey.
Speaker 1: Also also, well, we're shutting people out. Shouts out to these two Jeffs over here for holding the fort down. Yes, while I was away, while Mike and Dan were away on assignment. Dan is currently out on assignment, folks. If you're wondering he he pooped his pants?
Speaker 2: Oh I heard that.
Speaker 1: He really did, right, Yeah, he pupped his pants real bad and it's just going to take him a couple of days to recover from it.
Speaker 2: That's the right amount of time. I don't want to look at him like yeah, and I don't want to have that judgmental.
Speaker 1: Respect them a little.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was, it was, it was. It was a good time. We had a good time last week. It was it was like, Okay, me and Backler figured this out and we ended up doing exactly that, but also missed you guys. Glad you're back the website and I got it.
Speaker 3: I gotta say it's mostly grub holding down the Ford. I just still have to be a lawyer for the next ye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a big part of me. Like I was doing your website stuff. You were doing that, so yeah, we had to split that up even but uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no it was. It was all right, definitely definitely agree. Great to have you back, for sure, Dan, take your time.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, yeah, I was enjoying watching I start to catch up on the dump truck though, But yeah, I know you guys. Everything's great. Really enjoyed the light club and all sorts of other goosef was great. Yeah, yeah, we had fun with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, paddle boys, Oh my god, Paddy, we got got We did pretty good in that.
Speaker 3: I was pretty proud we hit we hit a groove. Definitely, groove is in the heart I've learned. I want to shout up someone as well, let's keep going. I was, yeah, I want to shout out Greg, who I met in Asbury Park on Friday, who was so nice to come up and say hello, as did myself. Stacy and our friend Laurie were going to a concert at the Stone Pony outdoor stage. We saw a band called Guster, and uh, i's just say Guster.
Speaker 2: Have you ever heard of the band? I have heard of?
Speaker 3: Yes, man, it is it is the most My wife is forty three years old and loves a band called.
Speaker 2: Gus Yeah exactly, Okay, yeah, so they are good. I enjoy them a great deal. Yeah they they they are.
Speaker 3: They're just like a lot of fun. Like they just seem like they would be at a great time to hang out with. And and did was you know, this is like the twelve concert by Now, yeah, he's a veteran, but I will say being recognized went to that dude's head at the speed of light. In a way, it was Boston all over again. And you know, we had a friend there who witnessed whole.
Speaker 2: Thing, and because we were like, yeah you know that happened, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And this and Greg was such a chill, awesome dude saying and then we get in and Dylan's like, it's like, how many other people do you.
Speaker 2: Think know me here? It's hey, he's stay humble, Stay humble, bro. That's all I say. I got a shout out the guy that that chose not to throw an apple at Mike Manatti when he was presented with the opportunity to do so, Thank you. That would have ruined everything for everybody. He would have been deeply upset. It would be all we would be talking about this entire week. But it's a joke, but it's not a joke. It's not a joke. Don't do that. I mean, yeah, banana, maybe I could live.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't like that either.
Speaker 3: I live, but banana, banana wouldn't hurt as much, right, like an apple you get.
Speaker 4: A I wasn't even thinking about that.
Speaker 2: I just don't know.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, God be disgusting.
Speaker 1: Uh, folks, before we get the video games, what's happening?
Speaker 2: What's popping?
Speaker 1: I mean, is now a celebrity and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he also found his first bit of graffiti and a porta potty if.
Speaker 2: We want to talk about I remember my moment finding that kind of graffiti and the public in Michigan.
Speaker 3: He's like that there's like writing on the wall in there, like what story about miscles? He's like, there's this guy who wants anyone who's in this thing to text him pictures of dumps.
Speaker 2: What do you mean? I'm like, what do you mean? So I get it in the proprietor of ratemyship dot com. You don't know, like look at my content, sure.
Speaker 3: Enough, like a whole backstory, Like I need this in my life.
Speaker 2: It would do.
Speaker 3: It was basically like reading it like Bernie Xanders, like I am now asking you once again to send me pictures of your duty really amazing stuff with the whole ass phone number attached.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you call fantastic.
Speaker 1: I uh was supposed to go to the East Coast to go see Lincoln Park, but we decided to to save some funds and go backpacking instead.
Speaker 2: Gang, this is this is gonna be my toxic.
Speaker 1: Mail coming out, and I'm sorry, oh shit, oh. I used to pooh pooh on anyone hiking or backpacking using trekking poles. I mean like, yeah, like the walking poles, the walking sticks. Yeah, uh, you know for older.
Speaker 2: Folks, one hundred percent get it.
Speaker 1: You know you need you need to maintain balance and everything, the hips, the knees and everything. But I thought, like, I'm a sprightly young man, uh, and I'm strong.
Speaker 2: I don't need these. What happened, Jane, But we.
Speaker 1: Were going we were going backpacking for like a longer a hike, and then my partner got me a set and let me tell y'all, I felt invincible.
Speaker 2: I felt amazing.
Speaker 3: It's two more legs, yeah, two more legs going uphill a blast.
Speaker 1: So easy, fucking chunking that ship up and then going downhill. Oh man, normally my knees would not today extend out my like little trucking polls and then they're like gently.
Speaker 2: Lower myself down. It was fantastic.
Speaker 1: That being said, though, you should always look forward when you're backpacking, uh, and watch where you're walking, because I did fall and then I guess backpack. It's okay right now, it's okay.
Speaker 2: Anybody compessed rice, right, you know, we're over rice. It's loving care now, like we know. Yeah. I think that's the acronym. Acronym. I can never remember what it stands for, but specifically we're not supposed to put ice on there anymore. It's crazy. What Yeah, I look, I'm no professional, but I remember like that, like, oh you put ice on there forever And they're like, no ice is bad now, my great cool?
Speaker 3: Well fucking Mike's dad, he's yeah, have a oyster from from the bottom of the sea.
Speaker 2: That's magical.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna put my hand over it and just say a little prayer and that'll yeah, and you're chanted.
Speaker 2: Mike, you're muted. I can't hear you. Love is the acronym, that's right, Thank you.
Speaker 3: I think so, so is it? But your ankle is getting better? Right, yeah, in the right direction. You put it in a brace and everything, but well, is it better? Though it's better. It's one of those. It was one of those incidents where like I sprained my ankle, like really really bad, like years ago. So like that ankle's kind of like fludged to begin with, and I.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 1: I took it's my bomb ankle, and I took a bad step and I heard the I'm like, oh, this is gonna be bad, and I thought like, okay, I'll be fine. I'll be fine, and then I I I like fully twisted it because I wasn't using my poles. Gang, you gotta get those poles.
Speaker 2: Get those poles.
Speaker 3: You could also do like a you shall not pass thing with Scout. Maybe that's what like.
Speaker 2: I would do. I would just get a walking stick, because I too have a bias against the poles. Jan although you're running me over, But it's like, did you, like, was there any consideration of going for a walking stick? Whoa mike is blasting us? What is this?
Speaker 3: What happens? Is this what happens at Disney? It might be okay for Disney. It's not okay for the Giant bomb cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're better than this. No one's hearing that.
Speaker 1: It's just I think it's the Google Meet and okay, uh my my audio listeners. Mike is holding his hands up and he's like sweating profusely because the audio is not working.
Speaker 2: He's doing the meme of like we got a badass here. Yeah, this is one of his least favorite things when stuff like this happens.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, yeah, he's calling himself right now. He's not uncomfortable at all, though he's cool or Apples's sorry, he's not.
Speaker 2: He'scided anyway.
Speaker 1: That being said, uh, every I suggest everyone go outside and have their own wilderness weekend because yeah, oh it's good.
Speaker 2: I love sound outside outside. It was a cool concept.
Speaker 3: I would go outside too, except that air quality index is about oh a buck forty to Canada is fucking you guys?
Speaker 2: Good up there? What's going on? They're just setting fires to fuck with baklaar put it out? Put it out? Why the considered that? Have they not considered the rain?
Speaker 3: Maybe all getting aside though, like, uh this is bad and it sucks, like no, last year wasn't as bad. Two years ago was the Apocalypse when the AIQ was in the three hundreds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh it's California bad.
Speaker 3: Huh yeah, like it's California bad. Like I'm sorry that this is a thing, you guys. And then we and then we're LARPing as California last week with another little mini earthquake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's up with that ground shaken in New Jersey? Have you not been worshiping the devil enough? Backlar? Is that is that the problem here?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, if I were a religious man, I think I backed the wrong horse.
Speaker 2: But uh, you know, all of that's the tom fool. But yeah, I'm like really.
Speaker 3: Upset with the with the air here, and I really wish we would fix the air. When I'm president, I will fix the air.
Speaker 2: Wow there, Oh, go ahead, Mike.
Speaker 4: I like the air that I just want to say it, like the air. You hear me? That's great?
Speaker 2: We can hear you. They can't hear you, right, why I set the man? Okay? Oh, I'm got a super chat and Chris Cash fifty six to seventy six. Good day, gentlemen. I'm a new Giant Bomb fan this year, loving the show. So I'm still laughing at the giant bomb. DevKit is a vape and some dice. That's right, Hey, sometimes that's all it takes. Now that's a big They can hear you all right, there we go hear me now.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Hey, there was an earthquake near Russia when I was in San Francisco and then all my, you know, it's like right when I get there, and all my everybody I noticed testing me like are you going to die from a tsunami? I was like, no one here seems to care. I think I'm gonna be.
Speaker 1: I actively when I got the tsunami warning, I went to the beach to watch.
Speaker 2: I was like, let me see it happen. Let it overtake me.
Speaker 4: To ask you all about syrup.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, Bud, you know the cousin of honey.
Speaker 4: You go ahead, Yeah, it's related because we Yeah, Dan and I went to a chicken and waffle place and.
Speaker 2: It was fine, Oh, Keith's Chicken and Waffles.
Speaker 4: Maybe because yeah, it's right by your house. Because all the Aunties were named after rappers.
Speaker 1: I love that you two were in my city also, like five minutes away from my house and I wasn't here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, and they had like this giant like cylinder full of the of hot syrup, right, and she's like, yeah, carraf pour your own hot syrup. We're doing that. And Dan's like, man, this is so weird, Like why it's like, oh this, like I never had warm syrup before, and like I was like, oh wow, another crazy moment. But they're like a surprising large amount of people back to them up or like oh yeah, I have cold syrup all the time, and I don't know if I ever keep.
Speaker 2: Their syrup in the fridge. Yeah. Yeah, that was the other thing.
Speaker 4: I was like, I'd never even keep in the fridge. It's self shelf stable. And then Breg Miller texts me a picture of his syrup and it says put in the fridge. Out there opening even said syrup, it's all sugar.
Speaker 2: Why is that to go in the fridge.
Speaker 3: No, No, I think, Okay, I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I do think the more real the syrup.
Speaker 2: Is, the more it needs to be in the fridge. I think that's the rule of if you're if.
Speaker 3: You're doing like the corn syrup syrup, that's just like whatever, because it's just fucking bullshit. But I think I do believe like mold can form in real organs.
Speaker 2: Sugar yeah, yeah, says yes, okay, right, because the sugar it is what attracts are Yeah, I guess, well sugar what sugar can because like dry sugar you don't put on the fridge.
Speaker 4: Just keep that yeah right, yeah, and isn't.
Speaker 2: And also while we're on this sticky subject.
Speaker 3: I I could have sworn I read that like honey can literally never expire.
Speaker 2: Honey is the one like food that really doesn't expire. It's the one like everything amazing. They're here too.
Speaker 4: Why does honey have to knock courage beeches?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But what that's just the process of how we got here. Okay, I guess syrup is tree es, right, Like, what's what's going on here?
Speaker 1: So many good titles for a podcast, first time listening to this podcast?
Speaker 3: Welcome, Yeah, I mean that's what Chris obviously, No, it's exciting, you know, plantes is exciting.
Speaker 4: And you know, yeah, okay, so keep fine, keep your syrup in the fridge. You get for a little bit.
Speaker 3: Come try it at least try it hot, like if you're having a stack of waffles. I know, I realized, but like I would I would not be against the syrup being a little warm, but I mean there's a whole like there's a brand of syrup that had like the microwave icon on it, and then you would put it in the microwave and then the icon would turn from my black to red when it was the perfect temperature or whatever.
Speaker 2: That's the whole idea of like microwave the ship, like, let's get it going.
Speaker 4: I was sitting by the amount of people are like, oh, yeah, I just put it on cold. That seems it's sad.
Speaker 3: I think it's sad, But I also think this is a bit of a non issue.
Speaker 2: Like this doesn't even.
Speaker 3: Times, but it doesn't even register on like the weird radar. This is not a thing at all.
Speaker 4: For for normal dance stuff that at all. That's why I was That's why I was taken aback because to me, I was like, here's another one of these. Oh no, here we go. My microphone is lowering itself constantly crazy. I am in an internal struggle over here. I am going to attack the first actual human I see. I'm so mad about that.
Speaker 2: Well, you're doing the news now, that's anything else happened gang other than Syrup. We went to a ticky bar that was fun.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Trader Sam's Fox with Trader Sam's Heavy.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, tips and Disney and went the smugglers coats not everything's Disney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stop bringing it up. Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah no, okay, So I thought y'all went to a different tiki bar. Smuggler's Cove is a ship.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I remember getting kicked out of there because I went inside.
Speaker 2: Well, I've gotten kicked out of there twice.
Speaker 1: Actually, first time was because I tried getting like commemorative tiki cups because I remember.
Speaker 2: You officially you were trying to steal them. No, no, no no.
Speaker 1: They were selling like Star Wars ones, and I thought like, oh, Mikey likes tiki cups. Maybe I could get into teki cups.
Speaker 2: I do uh?
Speaker 1: And then I went inside asking like, yo, y'all got any more of those? And they were like, no, it's all gone. Also, we're not actually open yet. How'd you get inside? I'm like, I don't know. I don't leave the fucking door unlocked.
Speaker 2: Ship. Yeah, that's not on you. That's absolutely not on you. I hate that. When when that was something like that, like you're trying to check something. You walk in. You ask them something like yeah, I hate that.
Speaker 1: All right, Uh what did you get? Did they do the cinema over the drink Mike?
Speaker 4: They do on some of them, not I don't know if they did that for any of the ones.
Speaker 2: I had got.
Speaker 4: The best one I had was a coffee flavored one. I thought of you while I had it. It was very very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I did get the novelty tiki mug, of course. So uh we said about that. We met the most New York couple ever. I think they might show up in a video. So uh yeah, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: There means a New York couple and they're going to show up in a video.
Speaker 4: They liked vibe. They invited him like they like the dance vibe more. I think this guy talked about metal for a good good while. And now I was like, I like I made him and he's like, oh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I bought that for you. I'm talking about your New York accent. Wrongle Wow, all right, hey, that was we got to make that a character. That was the return Ye that was that was a moment Manhattan Mike or something. I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, New York, New York, Mike minute, I love him, Manata, you're your microphones all types of weird today. But that's okay because we're a podcast, so audio doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: It's fine. No, that's what they say. We'll thinks in a post.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I already had to start another recording because I don't worry though I saved the other one. I'm doing great over here.
Speaker 2: What's funny is like, why would windows even want to do this? Why don't do this?
Speaker 4: And why is there not an easy way to make it stop? I don't want you to. I don't screaming the flower.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 3: What it's doing is that it's literally putting him like in a corner.
Speaker 2: Mike, dynamic range is a problem, all right. I've always said that he can't get too loud, he can get too quiet.
Speaker 3: It's a problem for whatever reason. It's prox chat like just right now for mikey. Oh well, he is.
Speaker 1: Too dynamic, is the problem. Uh. We've known this about him for a while now. He's too dynamic of a man anyway, video games.
Speaker 2: Oh he am yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: I want to get this out of the way because we've talked about this quite a lot. Y'all had a very good discussion about it last week on the podcast, but I have not had the chance to talk about Donkey Kong Bonanza smokes. I thought Expedition thirty three was an easy lock for Game of the Year, and then I started playing this, and then, holy smokes, I think it is just the mindless means of mashing through and this being a video game, ass video game, it was enough to assuay me that big said, I think I'm in sub layer twelve hundred now, oh yeah, I think that maybe near the end of the game, it feels like it filled out the skill tree with like the different options. Now, I really enjoy it. I've been The terraforming with my fists has not gotten old quite yet. But I think for me, I kind of the platforming was a little bit more challenging. I kind of wish, uh it was more of the like the Mario flavor there versus what we have here, because so far, you know, I could solve most of my issues just bashing through and kind of just jumping and spinning and punching out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the platform is always gonna kind of suffer a little bit for that design. By the way, Jan I'm not doing one with microphone issues. Chat says they want more jan Jes. So you think about that, scolded you. You know you have the challenge rooms to kind of make up for that. I think there's there's a lot of those. I think specifically because of that, because they realized in order to make challenging platform sections, you really have pretty bespoke levels where there's maybe not as much of the terraforming stuff and what not. I don't necessarily mind that. I think it's a relatively good mix and balance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they found they are they found an artistic balance I think where it's like they made the decision, like they didn't just find themselves here with this game where they're like, Okay, we're just gonna try some stuff and see what happens. It's like, no, they had an idea in mind for what this game should be and built toward that direction. And so they established something that is really fun and kind of accommodates a lot of different play styles the way I've been talking about the last couple of weeks, and that it like creates opportunities for slightly different possibilities where it's like, Okay, I can now take some of these materials and Breath of the wild, combine them thrown together and make a bridge to cross a chasm I was never supposed to cross this way, and that to me is like such a cool thing where that probably wouldn't and maybe shouldn't be in a Mario platformer. Mario platforms feel like they should be obstacle courses essentially, and here it's like, well, no, Donkey Kong can can destroy, but he can also build if you're clever, And I like that this is enables that different side of this kind of platforming game. Yeah. I do enjoy that a.
Speaker 1: Bunch of Nintendo games will have that flexibility to like, yeah, we know you're gonna break it, so just go ahead and break it. We're not gonna hide that you can do that, because I definitely grub I think you were talking last week about like sequence breaking a couple different instances of stuff. Yeah, And I was able to do that as well with a couple of things, and I'm like, oh, I love that I can do this, Like this is great. But overall, I think the game is fantastic. I love the colors. There's certain worlds I kind of got too tired of. I don't think I like ice levels. I don't think I like snow levels when you get blasted to I think it maybe layer eight hundred. It's kind of like a beach ish biome or level set that I was just having a blast with Mike. I'm sorry, but there was a lot of big fruit and I.
Speaker 2: Was yea giant.
Speaker 4: I was working certain I didn't see Funky Kong over there because Jeff threatens something and now I'm worried. Everyone watch out for god time.
Speaker 2: It's coming.
Speaker 1: Also, you know, the story, it's cute enough. It definitely feels like that Saturday Morning cartoon style of like their stakes, but they're not too heavy. And also some of the enemies they're not that mad at you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the relationships between the characters is like mostly done through fun facial animations, and like Donkey Kong's got so much personality in the way he animates that I'm just like, oh, this is maybe my favorite Donkey Kong. The way he looks and he behaves, it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I you know, I mentioned this when Dana and I went to the switch to event, But I am a convert. I didn't really have an affinity towards Donkey Kong in the original design or any of the old games, but this one totally on two things with a game though one I understand that this is targeted towards kids. I do wish the boss battles were a little bit more.
Speaker 2: METEA or something anything, yeah, anything.
Speaker 4: I just wish they had like two times three times as much health. I think mechanically there's sound enough. Sometimes it just feels like ten seconds they die and it's like there's all this build up to them and it's just it's over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so fat, Like ten seconds is not even an exaggeration. I know that someone in chat last week pointed out that they had the intro animation, the boss fight, and the defeat animation all in one thirty second clip on their switch too, And it's like, yeah, now you mentioned I think I had a couple like that, So yeah, and that's just a letdown. I don't know what the answer is, necessarily, because I know they want to keep these things light and breezy for a vast majority of different people, and they also don't seem to love the idea of difficulty settings at Nintendo. They find other ways to increase the difficulty, which is like, hey, if you want a one hundred percent this and find all these things, some of these bananas are going to be harder than the others. And that's where your difficulties at go. Do that you freak and I'm like, oh, you know what, I like that. But then when you get to the boss fights, they haven't really found an elegant solution along those lines. So yeah, I hope they right.
Speaker 4: But they saw that in the future and like in Odesty with the brutals, you could beat them very fast, but it was kind of a trick to it. Yeah, they felt like boss fights still here. The trick to being them is usually pretty easy is go up and you just kind of break through shit pretty quickly and just kind of if you stay on their ass pretty diligently, they go down very quick. Again, even just doubling your health. Just that the easy boss fight at least lasts longer, I think will be fine. The good news they're like, no spoil there, but the final boss fights great.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's it is. It is a good bat boss that's.
Speaker 4: Styled in very well. So that's just wish more of it was a little bit like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I couldn't help think of some of the boss fights from Astrobot and how those felt like giant sweeping up or like or.
Speaker 2: Like Splatoon, even like Splatoon's got some really good boss fights. February probably be like, oh, these would have been a good fit for a game like this.
Speaker 4: Even the old Donkey Kong Country games the way they handle it. And I also I love this, but in the this is a little bit what Astrobot does and does it well where the bosses are kind of just platforming challenges and you sort of wait for the moment where you can hit them, right, so you just kind of dodging stuff and then when the game says you can hit them, you do that. That is one way around it, and a lot of these kind of games do that. I do like the idea boss fights that like, no, if you can get in there, you can't attack them. It just isn't very well tuned for that. They don't have enough help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that. I think that is like maybe the solution is like make a boss fight the level. Yeah, I'm like or like a shadow of the Colossus Beast or something like that. I'm like climbing up it and you and like maybe it's made up some materials that sometimes you can punch through and you have to do stuff on your way up to the top of the head to deliver the final blow. I mean, we're game designing, we're what is a fantasy booking now. But still, like, clearly there are other things they could have done other than just make them so simple that they go buy in a blink of an eye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my other qualm is very, very minor. But if there is at all a slope in a video game, I think if you have the equivalent of a rolling ability or like a butt stomp, you should always be able to slide down that whole thing.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, the Apex legend style slide where it's just like as soon as you start it, if you're on a stove, you just keep going for forever. I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you know, there's a lot of hills in this video game, and Donkey Kong has like a forward summersault roll.
Speaker 2: I just wanted him to go down that whole thing. That's it.
Speaker 1: That being said, you can rip off the ground and use it as like a little skateboard or snowboard. That ability. I also wish it was more useful or or he had had more instances to be used. You got you can get creative with that.
Speaker 2: That's one of those things where that has helped me with some sequence breaking before for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, uh but yeah, otherwise this is another one of those games where I cannot stop smiling.
Speaker 2: Yep. Like then they also just maybe they like focus on the fun I do like the balloons. It's like, bring back the balloons from the other games and give it a different ability other than lives And here it's like, Okay, if you fall off an edge, it just brings you right back up, and it's like, you know what, Yeah that makes sense. Like the punishment for falling off a ledge should be pretty minor because you just want to get back and try the jump again. And that's exactly what this enables. I think. I thought that was a pretty good solution. Well, it makes the game easier, but in a way that just makes it a faster paced game in a very good way.
Speaker 1: I don't mind the Bonanza power up animals too, some of them though they look too freaky. Yeah, they're kind of freaky looking. They were it felt like they were sitting there at the design doc the Blueprint and they were thinking, all right, do we go for the horse from the movie Spirit? No, that's too sexy, you can't do that, Or do you have some weird fern gully land before time fucked up animal monstrosities and they kind of went like that way instead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, muscles on muscles.
Speaker 4: They're freaks and I like them, but they are not welcome in my home. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm glad they're out there doing what they do, but I do not wish to be friends.
Speaker 4: Right like like like no spoilers, but they gave they gave beefy arms to things that shouldn't have arms, and it's deeply upsetting.
Speaker 2: Everything has gorilla muscles and an ostrich just shouldn't it just shouldn't have gorilla muscles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like like, I will purposely after uh you know, some some bananas you need those abilities to get to I will detransform. So the screen that you get when you collect the banana, is it with one of those monstrosity kind of like their faces.
Speaker 2: When like, look, I do prefer to DK's face when he gets a banana. He's got that big kind of toothy grin that I think is great. But the the the pose they do, all those of Banana Madia things is very good. I usually still enjoy those. Yeah a mania, Yeah that's what I got. Yeah, Donkey Kong's Banana Ma.
Speaker 1: Speaking about one game that is a new entry into the franchise, Jeff Grubb, you have checked out Ninja Guiden rage Bound.
Speaker 4: But I'm sorry, not your best not your best segue, jan Most of these games are new entries that are franchise.
Speaker 2: Well, that's just where the industry is at right now. The show here, there's not a lot of those.
Speaker 4: It's a commentary of the date of the industry.
Speaker 2: Uh, Ninja Gotten rage Bound, Yeah, I was. I loved Ninja Guiden on the Nintendo Entertainment System.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: We played that all the time as a kid. I think I eventually got to the very end and then couldn't beat the boss rush at the end, So I never beat the original Ninja Guid him. Yeah. Like the Xbox games, for sure played a bunch of those. Don't know if I ever completed those, but they're very good. They're hard. They're hard, and that's the whole idea, and they're they're great because they were hard. This game is definitely a successor to the ne e s and arcade style games, a little informed by the Laiter games, but it's just a really good one of of what it's trying to be, and that is a two D action game that makes you feel cool and gives you a lot of opportunities to express yourself through through the various abilities of the characters. The kind of the hook here is you're a ninja and you get paired up with a ninja from a rival clan who becomes like sort of your ghost partner. She becomes your odd rock essentially, and she could throw the shirrik in or what it's it called the little pointy things she could Yeah, she could throw those, and you have you have the sword. You could do both at the same time. But when you use her powers that uses a little bit of meter. But then there's you know, a powerful move that she has like once per round or once per level. Uh, and and it's you know, it's very cool, but it gets better when you start getting into the challenge stages and you have to uh, sort of use all of these abilities and it's platform ability, platform and abilities. It is like very offensive combat abilities like this guillotine spin move where if you jump in the air and you hit hit the attack button or hit the jump button right as you're about to be hit, you'll bounce off them, very similar to like a cuphead something like that, and that figures into both the platforming and the combat. There's just a lot of opportunities to look and feel cool, and the game knows how to build levels around that, and so I've been really into it. And then you get to the boss fights, and the boss fights are you know, the pattern recognition thing you kind of want from a two D action game, and I've really enjoyed those. They've taken me about four or five tries in some cases, and I think it's the right level of difficulty. And once you dial it in, you just again you like look up at the screen and you're just doing the coolest stuff and feeling very ninja like. And I've been very happy with the game so far because of that. So, yeah, I'm maybe halfway through and I'm gonna keep playing it.
Speaker 4: I've only played a little bit of it, but I've been enjoying it quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Have you did you play The Messenger some of the Messenger? Yeah, I didn't super click for me. The Messenger. I know you love it.
Speaker 4: I love The Messenger, and like one of the things I liked about it was, you know, you kind of use all these things in the environment and like the enemy projectiles and enemies as like ways to get extra jumps, and that's that's you talked about, but that's in this game. I don't know, I love that stuff. I think it's super satisfying.
Speaker 2: They definitely build the entire levels around that, Like you can tell when there's an opportunity for you to do like an extra jump and there are so something hidden. They make it very clear there's an enemy that will respawn in a specific point even if you kill it, so that you can get up there and try to do it. So it's pretty friendly in terms of its design. It wants you to feel cool. It's not trying to like hide anything here, and so it feels very considerate. This is from the team that made Blasphemous and Blasphemous Too, uh, I know has some fans. Yeah, those those are solid games. Yeah, this this does feel like it's you know, they continue to get better at making these kinds of games, and I'm super into it. Is were you fighting the Catholic church. Here you actually play as KINGI, but Re shows up, but now he's not fighting the Catholic. Well, I guess, I don't know for sure. Some of them seem pretty Catholic. I get it.
Speaker 1: I got it all right, gang. My vision is getting blurry because I think I got a migraine coming on. But I took some medicine, so we're fine.
Speaker 2: We're okay.
Speaker 1: Time will heal all just like Time Flies. It's a very small game that I have been checking out. I kind of want to do a quick look of it, but it is a very it's like a two hour game, so I don't want to spoil too much. This is very much akin to kind of like an untitled Goose game where you are an animal and you have a various set of two dues to do. But the funny thing about this is you are a fly, and based on your location, it pulls up like World Health Organization data as to how long a fly lives for. So in the United States, apparently a fly will live for seventy seconds according to the data average on average.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I didn't read too much into it. It's got to be on average, right, yeah, on average? I believe.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 1: So your runs in this game, depending on where you live, are as long as a fly will live on average, So in the United States, it's about seventy six seconds. So every run that you have in this game is seventy six seconds to complete your to do list.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so funny.
Speaker 1: And if you perhaps you know, die at the end of those seventy six seconds, or you run into an obstacle, say you buzz yourself on accident on like a light bulb or drowned somewhere, you die and you restart the next run and you were supposed to complete it's about ten tasks, I believe, all in one run. But the great thing is you see all of your previous flies there.
Speaker 2: So oh fine, in.
Speaker 1: One run I accidentally burned myself on a light bulb and then my fly fell straight to the ground. The next run, I see that same fly that was burned by a light bulb there. And then the very mean they're like.
Speaker 2: Are you seeing them like go like flying around or do you just see their dead bodies dead bodies just their carcasses? Yeah, okay, I love that.
Speaker 1: So the game is very very simple. It's it's just black and white very simple art style, but there is a lot of character into it. It definitely feels like the type of game where they encourage you to poke around and yeah it's cute, time flies. Maybe we'll try and get a quick look up.
Speaker 2: Yeah this looks cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I remember playing this out an SGF like last year or something. It's kind of like that Stanley parable vibe is just going there and the fuck around, see what happens. Yeah, it's new stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, I dig it a lot, and gosh, you know, flying around is very fun, just like Mike Minatti has been flying around in the Galaxy the Outer Wilds.
Speaker 4: Yes, this was my punishment from Dan who trounced us Antonio's pro Skater three plus four, beloved kind of puzzle game from twenty nineteen. I found I failed twenty nineteen as a year really badly. Like at the time, I had not played this Resident Evil to remake, I didn't play through Control Secero. I've been doing a twenty nineteen aology tour basically lately. I think I'm just going to play Control after this to complete all of that.
Speaker 2: Mike.
Speaker 1: The cool kids are now calling it the Revenge Tour.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, gotcha. The Mike MANAUGHTI Revenge Tour where I kill everyone who's wrong me, I mean play video Games twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: It was like someone else's Rage Bound.
Speaker 4: It's funny because I know people love this game.
Speaker 2: You can't read your top ten list from twenty nineteen less I joined GB Max. So now, okay, I guess.
Speaker 4: I shouldn't behind a pay well, but I think it was My game of the oar of the year was Firebom Three Houses, and I like that game, but like it already would not be that anymore for sure. But it's funny because I still somehow didn't really know what this game was about.
Speaker 2: Kind of figured it was.
Speaker 4: I figured out something kind of like Missed. I knew that as some kind of first person puzzle thing I didn't and something about space was involved. I had no idea about some of the other aspects of it, like the time loop and all stuff. I'm still afraid of spoiling the game because I really liked that it wasn't spoiled for me somehow, and I did.
Speaker 2: Kind of know what the reality is is like for a game like this is unless you are intending to play it imminently. People talk about it, and nothing really sinks in So we talked about this game, probably said a bunch of the things that happened, and they just didn't register you because they weren't in context for you. Once they're in context, that game has so many secrets and cool things to it. It's incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's like, you know, the crux of it is that year you have a whole solar system to explore and try to figure out why basically the sun explodes and everybody dies at the end of the cycle. When that happens, you wake up and you start the cycle again. You carry nothing over button knowledge. And even at first in the game, I'm like, okay, am I going to get like some upgrades for me or my ship. I'm gonna get some like items. No, it's really just get upgrades. But to your brain, yeah, it's all just knowledge and like and it's so fun just going out there first establishing a base layer of knowledge, like learning, Okay, this is this planet, and sand is moving from one of the planets to the other one over here, and this planet has a moon that's just shooting volcanic rocks at it.
Speaker 2: Just kind of amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just trying to understand what's going on everywhere in this weird source system. While slowly piecing together elements of the backstories. You can then kind of understand what you even need to be doing, right because at first that's not even clear. But what's even happening?
Speaker 2: What do I need to do?
Speaker 4: What am I What am I trying to accomplish here? And kind of like ten hours in you sort of get to that point where I'm like fifteen hours in right now, so I'm feel like I'm starting to make some leeway into solving the mystery. It's like it's likely didn't like, do these runs have a lot of purpose now and it's not just kind of flying out and see what I can sort of learn. Because of the way my brain works, sometimes I get frustrated when I think I'm pulling on a thread and I think the threads about to end and I was doing something really hard and I get somewhere and it's like, oh, I'm still missing like one or two things actually here, and nothing important seems to be happening like I think it is. Now a lot of times, something important is happening and I am learning something that's going to help me out somewhere. So that's not really a problem with the game. That's just the way mighty brain works sort of thing.
Speaker 2: But I gotta say that game scared the shit out of me.
Speaker 1: Oh actually yeah, yeah, that's one of like the few games that left.
Speaker 2: It was just unnerving at some points.
Speaker 3: I agree, cool Jen, there's something that happens with the vastness of space. It's scrat it's it's bothered. It's poking, the same thing that bothers me about like the ocean at night.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And it is so good at creating that sense of like nothingness and these cosmic entities that are monstrous and just inherently scary due to their side It fucking terrified me. Like I legit got dizzy a few times and was just like I need to like play this maybe a couple more feet back.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: All that was like true for me backler. But like the way my brain works is like that feels like a warm blanket. It's like yeah, right, Gems, it's very very similar. Like my brain's overwhelmed by this and it's like, well, I want to keep pushing and explore and explore and explore. It fits very well with my brain that way. But yes, and I agree with your assessment of it for sure. And then there's parts of it that are legitimately like scary. It's yeah, yeah, it's great though. I mean, I've never played the DLC. I'm realizing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm streaming a lot of plays. Everyone keeps asking me if I if I'm playing the DLC, and I'm like, I don't. I have no idea what that would even be for a game like this. Yeah, there's a whole other kind of mystery there.
Speaker 2: You could go straight to that if you wanted to write those teams where it's like, if you know what you're doing, you can go right to it. Okay, cool? Oh yeah, to the end and to that stuff. Yes, you should be able to go right to the DLC. Oh is it like a MISS where I think I'll tell you what I'm playing Miss? This game is a lot more like Miss than I was even expecting. But is it like a MISS where if you know you can just beat it right away? Oh? Yeah, yep. I definitely like tried to do that run as fast as I possibly could. A couple of times. I told this to Mike back lard Jan. Do you guys know who was like the producer on this game. No masi Oka Oh why guys? Yes, hero from Heroes and he worked as a special events effects supervisor on ILM for years and years. He's like one of the main guys that developed the water technology at ILM, and then he was hero on Heroes and then he made this. He's still an actor on like I think he well maybe Hawaii five Oh was a couple of years ago. He was on that. He's I think the most interesting man in the world.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Really yes, like legitimately good at everything he does, like funny, entertaining, brilliant, like world class brilliant.
Speaker 1: And cuddainly want to drive a Nissan Versa.
Speaker 2: Now I didn't know that. That is unbelievable. Isn't that cool? Yeah, that's one of my favorite facts about that game. Is like a cool dude doing cool things.
Speaker 4: I just like flying around space.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's a good feeling. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I used to be a really big Star Trek guy, and we have some good Star Trek games, but there's never been like the Star Trek game that really encompasses everything about what Star Trek you know, is and what kind of makes it neat. This isn't exactly that, But there is something about the whole I'm you know, ticking off and landing on planets, and you know there's something kind of physicky and sciencey about this and the exploration and the learning and the discovery that is scratching that itch. I just love piloting my little spaceship and getting weird gravity, like having weird close calls, like that's that one planet. It kind of has like a hollow equator. At pretty early on in the run, Yeah, I thought it was autopiloting toube, but something messed up, so I was coming in way too hot, but I was in with some maneuvers. I went right through that hall like it was like right threading the needle. I was like, oh that was scary but felt good.
Speaker 2: And then you're right like your little spaceship. You can kind of tell it's like a miniature solar system, which is like you're in a wooden spaceship, And like then the physics like really clicked in a place. When you consider that, it's like they probably modeled this to have a certain level of gravity that works even though it's like a couple miles wide, this entire solar system, and yeah, I just enjoy thinking about the way that they kind of pieced all the map together here, that that stormy planet, my first time landing on there, and all the things that happened on that planet, like the first time when you don't know how to navigate. It is just like best moment in video games in a lot of ways where it's like, oh my god, this is such a cool thing.
Speaker 4: That's a good example of like you know, pretty early on I figured out something in the Bramble planet where I went through kind of this maze. I found a guy and at the end all I did was fine, this thing. I was like, wow, this, uh, this thing is immune's electricity. I was like, well, can I take some with me?
Speaker 5: Am?
Speaker 4: I going to make my ship like an insult? What's going on here?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: Why does this help me?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 4: Like yeah, way later I was like, oh that knowledge is useful here. Also Scouts in the game, what the Scout come again? Scout dance the dog Scout.
Speaker 2: But he's a camera now a camera camera And.
Speaker 4: Every time I said him, I'm like, go ahead, go Scout, but I'll say Scout please when he like misses or something.
Speaker 2: But okay, good job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even that though it is great because like, again, you have this thing. I'm like, I mean, this is a mildy youse, so I can send out a camera. Then as he played the game, you figure out all sorts of Basically, you're one tool, right.
Speaker 1: I forgot to bring this up during the band secon. But you know, when you go backpacking, you kind of just settle and find a site to place your tent and everything. Uh the place we're hiking to. Uh, we wound up setting up camp next to a group of boy scouts. And let me tell you, boy scouts that are twelve to fifteen tell are terrible at telling stories.
Speaker 2: Oh they're the worst. Yeah, they're terrible at everything.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, yeah, just like one of them was very polite and we're.
Speaker 2: Just like, hey, you guys, have a good hike.
Speaker 5: Cool you guys. You guys need your water purified. We have some some straws if you need them. Youknos you need a bunch of knots. But that's what that's all I could do.
Speaker 2: It's knots. What's your job? Knots?
Speaker 5: Just not.
Speaker 4: I'm glad that I just played video games when I was fifteen, because I was so deeply interesting. I'm glad I didn't bother too many people.
Speaker 2: That just avoided them. Mostly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just like I'll think I'll go in here and I'll watch Star Trek and play a lot of GameCube.
Speaker 2: So to bring the two together, I think I am going to do uh, maybe not hiking, but actually do a camp out night in my backyard set up, and I'm looking at outdoor TVs. Who knows I'll be able to afford one, but if I can, I'm going to set one up outdoors and I'll play the Outer wilds DLC that I've never played before, and I want to play that outside. Buy a quire and like just hav like completely vibe out for like a day. A banjo d D you want the want the forty experience. Yeah, I'll back are. You can come over and shake my chair when when the spaceship is going.
Speaker 1: Well, let's stick into the wide void of space. Because Mike Manati, you have been playing Gradius origins.
Speaker 4: I decided I was going to pronounce that. However, Jan says, because I say grotius a lot, I think it might be wrong. So all right, whatever, creat but if don't go with me for pronunciation now it's Gradius origins. Now this is another collection of classic Capcom games. This one's actually coming out on the seventh, so two days away from here. I was able to get a code and check you get out mostly on my switch too. I'm pretty sure it's just a switch code, right. They've been doing a lot of these, a lot of really good Castlevania ones. There was a decent Contra collection not too long ago. So you know, you have the first three Gradiuses and then also the Salamander games, which is just the Gradiut spinoff. The first one came out here as Life Force. Then there's also a Salamander two that like was it? You know, there are all arcade games, but there was also a Placation one version of that, so these are all, you know, very classic schmups. The whole thing was the gradiest games is the way the upgrades work and you get those options, which is just like the balls that follow you and shoot the same exact weapons you do. And I love that they're called options for some reason. You have incredible music because it's Kanami. The really neat thing here is that kind of like those Consovani collections we had where there was like oh, they remade Haunted Castle, so there's a whole new game in here. Blah blah blah. Here there was just a Salamander three, and it's an entirely brand new, schmupp a ttly new game, very much in the style of the other ones. It's kind of like, oh, what if they had made, you know, another Salmander like the late nineties, but it was still kind of pixel based. We're kind of like, remember those rebirth games we have from Konami that were made by M two, who again made Salamander three. Here was like Castlevania Rebirth. There's even a Gradiest Rebirth. It's kind of like one of those where it's like, oh, this is very familiar and similar but new. Yeah, playing through that is super neat and it's super fun. It looks great, it sounds great.
Speaker 2: Greatest always look cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Greatest does look cool, even like the nsports. Yeah, like Gray is one, I thought that's really neat. I played through that on Nisoa, so I'm going to still had a good time with it. And this is again pretty much the UK versions. There's also there are like multiple versions of most of these games, though, so you get played like the Japanese version or the American version, or like you know, revision two of the Japanese version.
Speaker 2: This is M two doing the ports, and they're known for making sure they always are very comprehensive and they do great ports as well. Like these games are probably running correct because it's M two.
Speaker 4: Right, And there's even like a lot of options, not the things of all your ship like things in a menu, like the games are meant to be Emula perfectly. You can like go into the options and like fix some bugs and things like that. That's bother and there's just a lot of room for customization there. And then when you're playing through the game too, you can just play through it like normal. Since there are arcade ports, you can just add a bunch of quarter seat have a ton of continues. But there's even things like you know, invincibility mode or you just can never die, or a practice mode where if you die, it kind of rewinds to a checkpoint for you, so you can keep trying a certain sequence over and over until you get that figured out. That's a lot of these games. You want to beat them, legit, you want to beat them one quarter right, It's a lot of memorization and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean it's funny.
Speaker 4: I never was a big schmup guy growing up, but I have more appreciation for them now. Gradis is about as iconic schmup series as there is. So you have all that old stuff here and then salam To three is this brand new game that's just there. That's that's super neat.
Speaker 2: I love that this is This is Origins, the one that's coming out next Toe.
Speaker 4: On the seventh.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's it's forty bucks on Steam, but you can get it for thirty six dollars when it launches, of course, ten percent off thing.
Speaker 1: I always I feel like Geometry War has kind of killed my interest in schmups.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think what would be good? I get what you mean because it's like a similar idea, but it has a very like it's very fast paced and you can see the ending, like you know, the rounds probably gonna last for like five minutes, and so that arcade loop maybe works a little bit better at home in something like that. But I've been getting better into schmups like Mike recently and the dotum Pachi. I was just playing it again the other night. That's the one that really did it for me. I'm like, this is really good. It feels modern. It also feels like the hip box is appropriate because it's a bullet hell shooter, which means there's bullets everywhere for you to hit and you kind of have to like weave your way through it. And it's on the generous side of bullet it feels like I just narrowly missed that and it kind of like maybe clipped the front of my ship, but it didn't blow up my ship because the hip box is small, and I think I really like that because I do feel like I'm able then to weave between all these bullets and just again feel cool like a ninja goid. And the Donumpachi makes me feel awesome, makes me feel like a god gamer when I'm like in the zone and dodging all that stuff, and that's not something you get from a ton of games right now. So I'm like, I'm glad they're still out there doing their thing. I'm gonna pick up this greatest one I looked on Steam. M two also did a Darius collection, which is like Tito's ripoff series honestly could be older the greatest. I really don't know, and I'm gonna check that out as well.
Speaker 4: Like some schmups, I hope, I hope we get a Parodius collection now, which was Konomy. It's just like parody Gradius made by them, Like it's it's the same exact gameplay, but the bosses set of a giant Robot is a Vegas showgirl stuff like that, right, a lot of ping wins everywhere and just really goofy stuff. I always thought it looked so fun, but never really had much of an opportunity to play them. I don't think we've had a good Parodius port in all onto.
Speaker 2: And then and then Jan's got to play Joe Aniki. Yes, the oily muscly dude, shoot him shooter. That's a classic. Got a bunch of those in the collection now.
Speaker 1: I feel like it'd only be right if Nicky and I were in the same room both covered in baby oil.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Yeah, we could do that next.
Speaker 1: We don't have hr exactly exactly they could.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't have stopped this anyway, That's right. They would be like, yeah, this makes sense, Darius.
Speaker 1: That's the guy from Hoody and the Blowfish, right, that's right, Darius, Yeah.
Speaker 4: He does that version of Wagen Wheel that I like more than the other, like the music stops get mad at me that I like the cover better than the original, and then I'd say, well, Bob Dylan actually came with that song in a jam session. And then they rolled their eyes so hard at me.
Speaker 1: Uh, folks, I've called occasionally the King of the Segue, but all it is is just a bunch of wordplay, just like Jeff has been playing wordplay.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow. So last week, uh, back along and I were, you know, staring wide out at each other, not knowing what to do with this website because you all abandoned us. Yeah, and he mentioned that Northern Lion had started playing this wordplay game and I was like, well, let's do this done paddle paddle game. And then I realized you're probably gonna get frustrated with that and need to kill some more time. And that was correct. If we did play that for an hour. Yeah, we played. We did way better than I was expecting this to do. I thought we would like probably fail in like the second thing and be like, this is stupid, let's give up. We got like six or seven segments and it was great. It was a good time. Yeah, and then and then I played that gorilla like a gorillaver just one hundred men game and men run the Men one. They've destroyed me on the moon as a one one. They needed the Moon though, well now they beat me on Earth too. And then we start up wordplay, which is Bilantro meets scrabble slash Boggle, and it's it's that simple, okay, and it's also that good it is. So we played it and I was having fun, like the back of our Chuck and I were just throwing words out there, trying to learn how to use essentially the jokers to maximize stuff. When we were playing on the normal difficulty and we got through a run and we did another run, and I was immediately like, as soon as we got done with UPF played it basically for the rest of the weekend when I had like ten minutes here or there, and it's it's really well done. Like I'm just sitting here on the keyboard just typing out words, trying to see if I can get as long and as long as of word as possible, because it the longer it is, it starts getting bonus points there at the end, you know, like the sixth and seventh slaughter worth five bonus points, the eighth bot is worth ten, and so on and and then it's like, okay, that works to a degree, But like Billatro, you really got to start getting all of the jokers to help you out and make sure that you are getting as big a multiple as possible and as many bonus points as possible, and ideally you're gonna need some synergy, especially if you start playing on the higher difficulty setting. So I was able to do that, got through like normal and then hard, and I think I'm on legendary difficulty now, which I think is the highest difficulty and I haven't been able to beat that yet. But coming like crafting, like uh, you know, theory crafting about best the best ways to use some of these bonuses has been really rewarding. There was one where it's like, okay, I have a joker that gives me a bonus if I have two vowels, and then it gives me a bonus if I have two of the same letter, or there's another one that gives me a bonus if I have two of the same letter next to each other. So if I have you know, two e's next to each other, that'll be good. And then I got another one that's like you get a multiple for every E you have in the word. I'm like, okay, now these are stacking and I can start like really trying to work my way in that direction. And you have the ability to refresh your tile set a certain number of times and you can earn more of those. So it's all about balancing these resources along with trying to synergize your jokers to survive as long as you can. And yeah, I'm at a point now where it's like I really feel like I'm on its wavelength and uh, it delivers in the way that the game that is trying to rip off b loattro should it has all the kind of the same satisfying math and so yeah, really really enjoying it.
Speaker 3: Word play and we're very cool, very smart. I think it's hard to It was hard for me to, like I wanted it was hard to like help like but that's not that's not a criticism. It's no, No, you're just watching.
Speaker 2: It's like right, yeah, because it's like, uh, you like the way I for me, I wouldn't have been able to help you if you were playing backlak cause I have to like kind of type the words out. Yeah, and that's how it was playing. And it's like if I can't do that, it's like maybe I could spot something like Chuck was having a good time because it's clearly fitting with his.
Speaker 3: Brain, right with his broken, broken brain, deeply broken. Yeah, just discuss only but only work we're playing. No, Yeah, that games and it's just the polish on is really nice. I think they did a really great presentational job.
Speaker 2: It's not as like bing pow whizz like blottro is you know, bro is like, hey, basically you're gonna feel like you're playing a slot machine.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: This is not doing exactly that, but it is still presented very slickly. Yeah, it's like Figma. It's like it was made in Figma. Yeah, right there we go. We got our quota. Yeah, they should start paying us. Yeah, they should think about sponsoring us, and they should give us some stock. That's what they should do. Guess the stock two weeks ago? Yeah, give some back dated there's nothing wrong with that, that right, I just didn't get around to it. But yeah, I like it's one of those games where I think if you like Billatro and you boggle, they have combined those two things in a very satisfying way, and I could see myself like, this is gonna be one of those games I'm playing through the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, fantastic. I have discovered one of those for me, Yang, I.
Speaker 2: Did you play this? Okay?
Speaker 1: Is does it count as an intervention if you just submit yourself to have the intervention amongst your friends?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That shows maturity, Okay.
Speaker 1: A couple of years ago, I had a very big problem with a game called Super Auto Pets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we remember. That was a game that involved that was basically like a.
Speaker 1: Gosh like a TFT so like a team fight tactics. It was like an auto chess of sorts. No no, no, no, no no no, Well there may be horses in this. I haven't gone that far yet. I saw one ben gp Ben ben Pack, friend of the website, my dear friend, my my work wife posting about this yesterday. I saw it this morning and I thought, what is this?
Speaker 5: This?
Speaker 2: This looks cool, Merge, Maestro don't recommended this to all of us. I saw that as well, popping off. Now I downloaded. I haven't touched it, Jance, So I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 1: Delete it, delete it now. Oh no, what do we have to lose time, my life, my livelihood because this is it feels like it is. Uh you take a match three, you throw in a super auto pets kind of and it's like a wave based match three game.
Speaker 2: But what but what is it like a wave based but it's like a mooji's is it like? Is it like sweak a game where you're combining fruits into bigger fruits?
Speaker 1: So you uh, it is a wave based, turn based and wave based match three game where you're using your tile sets. It's also a tile game, holy shit to do damage. So as you place down your tiles, those will do damage to enemies that pop up at the beginning of every wave. And initially you start with ten tiles and they all do about one damage each. But then as you complete a wave, you will acquire new tile sets or new emojis let's just call them emojis to replace your original just numbered sets. So one through eight or one through ten will get replaced with Oh, now you have a newspaper. Now you have a dagger. Now you have like a demon face. And these different emojis will have different abilities that synergize off of each other and you replace your original tile sets. So now after you combine a one and a one to add up to a two, instead of adding up to a two, it now becomes a dagger. So the dagger as that pops up on screen when you first summon it or put it onto your tile set, your match three set, that will do damage to the enemies.
Speaker 2: And gang. This it's bad, this is wild. It seems nefarious. I'm not gonna lie like it seems. Yeah, everything about it is like tickling my my your brain. It seems engineered in with the worst possible interests in mind.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, because this ticks off the like kind of super auto pets the part of my brain, but also these like slay the Spire esque part of my brain where it like becomes that type of card battler. Within each wave, you have like about four or five turns. So those turns include placing a tile onto your board or combining your different tiles onto on your board. And like you know, you can get pretty snappy with it. The game can move pretty quick, and then at the top of the screen you will get you'll see the different enemies that are you're in danger of getting attacked by but those go by super quick, game, very slick. I think emojis may not work in movies, but they may work too well in video games. Merge Maestro is that this is gonna be bad.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 3: When I see a game like this, I almost see like someone in a back alley being like, eh, you want to try this?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, first one's free, so sway, so okay. So when I'm I attack, when I combine, you.
Speaker 1: Attack when you combine two similar tiles, or when you place a tile down.
Speaker 2: Okay, And so am I trying to be precious about like, Okay, I have two swords right now, or two daggers? Do I want to like save those? Should I merge those when there's a bigger enemy on the screen or is it kind of like mo willy nilly. I just should just keep trying to combine things.
Speaker 1: I think at first you want to be a little bit precious because as you complete more waves, your original tile set of just numbers gets replaced very quickly with Okay, different emojis with different abilities, Like ben Pack had a little thread on Blue Sky where he he said like, oh man, at the end of this, my OCTOPI was doing a million damage. And then as soon as I read that sentence, I knew I would be in danger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a crazy thing that like I know exactly how you get there. So okay, all right, let's let's do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, this is going to be bad. I didn't realize. Jeff, are you playing this on your phone?
Speaker 2: Yes? Oh no, yeah, it's like with me everywhere now Oh no, but it's going to follow you home like it from and mentioned. God, it follows the market. Okay, should I buy a paddle clapperboard or a candle?
Speaker 4: What the getting a candle? That's more ghosty?
Speaker 1: Okay, god, it's yeah. I was able to shake super Auto Pets and then finally get over that. Recently though, I've thought about getting back into it, but then this, this came across my radar, and this is bad.
Speaker 2: This is just all bad.
Speaker 1: I'm going to assume w W two, K twenty five and Mari paint.
Speaker 2: Or from last week. Oh yeah, that's probably right. Yes, okay, well the market is still good.
Speaker 4: Get your shit together here leaving games on the board. Oh my god, we leave, we leave for one week, and all of a sudden, you have oh I have four times much work to do, so I'm going to get mildly sloppy, so it doesn't matter, yell.
Speaker 2: If you hel at me about this, you won't notice all the fire I started. So this is good.
Speaker 1: Last thing on the list here before we had to break and then get to the news. Jeff Grubb, you've been fuxing around with the eight bit DO sixty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the controller came in here. Check it out, everybody, sixty four. What it do? It's got the six buttons that you so it has one analog stick like the N sixty four button in sixty four controller, and then as the dpad right next to it, and then a bid do have the six buttons, so there's the A and B button and then the four sea buttons. And I've been testing on sixty four games with it mostly through emulation right now. It'll work with the analog three D when that finally arrives, although I'm I'm getting something from DHL. I hope it's that, but maybe that's been too early. I can't remember when that's supposed to come. It is DHL amazing, it's crazy. It's just amazing. The Germans they run it on time over there. I think it's a German company, so yeah, So what I like about this is I like playing in sixty four games a lot, but the button layout on an Xbox controller is a little strange so that sometimes you have to apply the S buttons to the right analog stick and I never love that. Now I'll get used to it, but I'll play games that way whatever I'm emulating and playing for free. I'm not going to complain, but this is better having it just dedicated to the sea buttons that are actually on this controller. And then also it's like six face buttons, so I'm like, could I like lace Street Fighter like on here as like a pad fighter and make that work? And yeah, it mostly works. There's a bit of a gap between the A and B and the sea buttons, right, and they're a different size. Again that's like the N sixty four controller. But it like I can hit the A button and the down Sea button at the same time with one finger press, so to me, it's like, okay, I can do some of these combos that would be common maybe in a fighting game occasionally. But the way it feels great and apit dose just got all this stuff down. Now where the dpad is fantastic. The analog stick has the concentric circles and the convex sort of dome like N sixty four controller, so it's like it's going for that and it feels great. The triggers are not they're not like analog triggers like the N sixty four triggers, but they also feel excellent. So it's just the build quality is fantastic, and it's been it's been working very well. Now there is like a time where a lot of like Xbox three sixty controllers or Xbox one controllers, I should say, just automatically map to a lot of these emulators, so you start using them, and the emulators are like, yeah, I recognize this, here's the setup you should probably be using, and go. This is not doing that, So I have to set it up manually. But that's probably for the best because I do want it to just be like, no, this is an N sixty four controller with the N sixty four buttons, so let's make sure it's good to go. I think it's probably gonna work out of the box with the analog three D though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks really neat. My thing is just if I'm going that far to get a custom and sixty four stock controller. I think I would just want it to like be an. I would want to have the penis you know, yes, you want the trigger of course, yes, your controller should have a penis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I like, I'm not noticing anything with this controller that like is oh U, finally I can do this because I don't have the penis in the anymore. No, It's like everything on the N sixty four was always built with that three prompt, with those three prongs in mind. So even games that like, there's the Case, I guess there's his Blues Brothers two thousand, Mike, did it require me to use both the deep ed and the analog stick at some point? That's made me messed up. This is my new Blues Brothers two thousand controller right here, So yeah, let's run it again? Oh fuck, oh god?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, the the the boss Swash mode of Blake Club where all three of you have to play through everything again.
Speaker 2: It's out. It's out now. It started shipping, so you can take to check it out. But yeah, I'm happy with it.
Speaker 1: Lovely, lovely, folks. That about does it for video game talk and what we've been playing We're gonna go take a quick pricky break, and on the other side of that, Jeff Grubb will be chatting to you about.
Speaker 2: The news right after this. This is Jeff Grub with a new It's right, I got news for you, everybody. Let's get into it. Nintendo is gonna hold an Indie World live stream this Thursday. Details it'll be focused on indie games. Obviously, it's gonna be fifteen minutes or around fifteen minutes. That is August seventh, at six am Pacific time, nine am Eastern. Or I'm sorry, wait, it's got six am and nine pm. I must have mistyped that. Yeah, I think it's gonna be six am Pacific time, nine am Eastern. I'll talk over we'll talk over it. Jen, you just sleep in. It's just an indie direct sleep in. You can sleep in two.
Speaker 4: Mike, Oh, I'll be theream.
Speaker 2: What are we doing, Bud's Oh, never mind, I forgot.
Speaker 4: I had such a hard time getting out of bed today. I have got enough sleep. I don't know I have a sleep up.
Speaker 3: I got enough sleep and it was still a problem. Why don't you see your fake doctor dad about it.
Speaker 4: Let's just tell me about the point at stars or open umbrellas, a doors.
Speaker 3: Dad, or your soul over your shoulder before you go, I'm looking at your chart here, has any black cuts crossed your path?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: This is of course separate from the partner direct that happened last week that had some you know, pretty decent announcements in it. Octopath Travelers zero, The Adventure of Elliott the Millennium Tales. Another HD two D game, The Adventure of Elliott the Millennium Tales. Jan did I stutter? This is the Philadelphia non Philadelphia game phil.
Speaker 4: Philip by Yeah, Phillipilitia.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think I posted something like what I wish I knew how games got names like this, and there's like multiple pr people were just like, oh, oh buddy, we don't know either.
Speaker 2: We don't know either.
Speaker 4: We would ask somebody tried to stop keingdom Heart's three hundred and fifty eight over two days are happening and no.
Speaker 2: One, no one would have it. Oh yeah, your audios. I brought it back.
Speaker 4: Don't worry. I saw and got mad a hand on that lever.
Speaker 2: Baby, it is look this.
Speaker 4: Thing I am.
Speaker 2: It's just on this lever.
Speaker 4: I see it and I just crank because it goes and I got to crank it back up all the time on my own, and it's just annoying. I'll just do it myself. I'll lower it for you, stupid, I'll never mind. I started screaming. I like screaming. Okay, I like screaming.
Speaker 2: Version. This is all going to be leveled, so he's gonna sound even crazier.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be great, Like someone out there, do do do the Master shake edit and like, let's actually get a proper one here with like the mouth moving and everything.
Speaker 4: I don't sound like Master shak.
Speaker 2: Ya Kwami was also there too, I should say, yeah it was. It was a decent direct, but we covered it in a bunch of places now the indie direct. Look, I'm not expecting Spoon Heaven to be there, not food Heaven. It's a hollow night. Silk Song is the real name of that video game. Uh, I know, I'm not expecting it at an indie direct. That game is too big for an indie direct now. And also it is probably going to show back up some Xbox thing. It'll be maybe be a games Com and they'll give us a date at that point.
Speaker 4: That's kind of the problems. I feel like the two games people want to hear about the most right now, well a second I got creak it up are Spoon Heaven and Haiti's too. If everybody wants that launch date? Is he too also too big for this? Or is it you know, like, well people are gonna watch this, we can make that. The one last thing is hey, here's the one point or release date for that thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think Hades two is also too big for this. That'll just kind of happen when it happens at this point. And Nintendo loves Hades and I think Nintendo loves Hollow Night as well. So if those games you know, wanted to be in the big direct, I bet they could have been. But I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, And maybe they'll like use both of those as a launch point for a bunch of other cool indie games and those will be like the Showstoppers here, It's possible, but you know, we'll see. I'm expecting like Nintendo remembering that first year of the Switch one and how a couple of indie games really took off Golf story a handful of others, and they're just looking to recreate that, which is admirable. I want that as well, that I definitely remember having a very good time with early indie games, and I'm looking for the next new one that I didn't know I was expecting, and the indie world's usually deliver that.
Speaker 3: And then you know, on the other hand, this whole Metroid Prime for thing not being in you know, obviously wasn't gonna happen last week. But yeah, now I kind of have made peace with the fact, like it's still too early. I really think they are going to like backload that thing to like October at this.
Speaker 2: Point, sometime in the holiday period, so from yeah, late October, anytime in October through December, even like it could be the December game. They've done that with their hardcore games before.
Speaker 3: Right, But I meant for like the direct, it's gonna get the direct, right, it's gonna get one.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it'll be directed. No, I mean no, I do think so. But there's you know, these days, it's Nintendo. They could announce stuff on in a YouTube video or on the Nintendo Today app. But if yeah, there could be there's usually a direct in September. There probably will be one this year because Nintato likes to get things set up for that holiday season, and September is a good time to do that. The like, here's the shit that you should be buying from us this holiday. So I expect us to get answers on a lot of these outstanding questions by then, and then there's a handful of other ones like Kirby Air Riders that one could pop off at any second. They just give us the release date. That's been rated in Saudi Arabia. So is Metroid Prime for Actually, so both of those have ratings now in at least one territory. What that means for us getting dates, it doesn't mean much. It could happen at any point, all right. This next one a little interesting just because of the tech inside of one of the inside this controller. Rare is celebrating its fortieth anniversary with a licensed Xbox controller that is up on Amazon now. It's from eight bit Do and it The one interesting feature about this other than it's you know, it's got pro buttons, is it has the two point four gigahertz wireless radio that enables it to connect directly to an Xbox without a dongle. Normally, when you get one of these controllers. They do it through Bluetooth and or they or they need a dongle for the Xbox. And so Microsoft has had that stuff as a proprietary like lockdown, and now they're letting third parties use it. Now. Maybe that would have been more exciting in a world where I was playing my Xbox more frequently. In fact, it definitely would have been. But it's like, okay, at least xboxes opening this stuff up at this point, I don't love having a bunch of dongles sticking out of anything.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: No, even though like the eight bit dude dongles kind of look cool because they look like bricks or whatever. Yeah, and then I'm like, I get this dongle out of here. I don't have an I don't even computers have like fifty of these USB slots, and I somehow still running out constantly.
Speaker 2: Yep. It's uh, I like a bit doo controllers. So this is pretty cool. I don't know if I need a Rare fortieth anniversary one, but cool. There's also some like artwork that they've posted up to celebrate Raresh like fortieth anniversary, that is, can act as your Xbox background. A bunch of original art of all their characters, not including including the Nintendo ones, and that's pretty cool, all right. Dark Siders four continues the original game story after fifteen years, so they're going back to Dark Siders. This is actually going to be the fifth game. There was also Genesis, which was a top down game since but since Dark Siders one ended with it was War, the main one where War is about to like go fight the forces of good and evil or whatever, and the other four or the other the rest of the horsemen of the pock ups show up. Well, we've gotten games starring the rest of those horsemen now, including Genesis and then two and three. So now it's like they're wrapping back to that moment and they're going to continue the story right from there, which is pretty wild for this B series game that like is great, it's really good, but it feels like, man, I can't believe they're going to complete this story. They're gonna they're gonna finish the fight.
Speaker 4: They're going to finish the fight to fight finish story. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's what's kind of nice about this, right, is because there are all these like beloved game franchises that just feel like, well, we love that it's never actually got to go anywhere like a Shen move right like Shen Moo's apart, and a lot of people like it, and the game is probably never going to see an end. So it is nice that Dark Siders it is something that a lot of people have cared about or you know, at one point, I like a lot of those games.
Speaker 2: Man, those games are fun. Yeah, that first one was especially good.
Speaker 4: Never played much of them. I should I should do some Dark Sider ring.
Speaker 2: Of the better zeld O clones. Yeah, sure, I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say, like, they definitely feel the void. It feels like for when when Zelda kind of wasn't as popping in the three. Yeah world, at least it's weird.
Speaker 4: I remember three was like one of the first Nordic slashion bracer games. At that time, we were like, wow, it's great this company is here and reviving this stuff and we're getting more b games and uh, all this all this time later, it's like the most exciting thing they can't do is a Dark Sider's Force. There's been no there's been no growth or a manchin of what they could possibly do well.
Speaker 2: THQ. Noordic had a bunch of other games that they did announce, and I will ask you, like, any of these do pop out to you now? The SpongeBob SquarePants Titans of the Tide looked pretty promising. That's coming out November eighteenth. It's following up the Cosmic Shake, which followed up a Battle of Bikini Bottom Flustrated, Yes, Rehydrated, and people like those games, and I'm glad. I'm glad they're continuing to make this. There was also the Spun or the Patrick Star game. Patrick Starr is going to be playable in this game. Yeah, that looks pretty cool. I think, you know, the Cosmic Shake was okay, no one hated that game, but it also wasn't as beloved as Bikini Bottoms. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just picked that up because it was on So because of this announcement, So I want to play through Cosmic Shape because when I played Bikini Bottom Rehydrated, I was really surprised how.
Speaker 2: Much I liked it.
Speaker 4: I liked that we can still get these kind of bet tier three D platforms just because SpongeBob SquarePants are still so popular. So right, yeah, I'm rooting for this one exactly.
Speaker 2: So I'm glad, Like there was a time where we'd get a lot of licensed platformers. This is the one survivor that we continue to get for the most part. Recreation is Reckfest, but open world kind of forts and motorsport, but Reckfest that sounds awesome to me. I'm really interested into seeming like where that game goes. Then there's games that, like I maybe recognize the names, but you know, they're continuing to make more of them, a Tides of Tomorrow, Sacred to Remaster, titan Quest to the Guild Europa fourteen ten. There's a gothic remake Reanimal Fate Keeper and The Eternal Life of Goldman, which actually that looked pretty good. That's a cinematic platformer kind of thing with a really good animation and style to it. Probably worth checking out. But it's also different than The Adventures of Elliott. The Millennium File. How that game was called I.
Speaker 4: Never played the gothic game, Should me neither?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Exactly. That was asking the same thing I'm like, are there gothic stand out there? Being like, we got to get more people playing Gothic. I haven't gotten into them, if they are, all right? Full list of all price increases for Nintendo Switch and everything else. All right, So Nintendo raised the price of the Switch one. They announced this last week and then over the weekend the prices went into effect in the United States. For the switch the original switch again switch O led was three fifty. It's now four hundred. The standard switch is three forty after being three hundred. Switch Light went up thirty bucks from two hundred to two thirty. The joy Con for the Switch one are ninety dollars now they were eighty dollars. Pro controllers eighty was seventy, the nes controller pack was sixty it's now seventy. In sixty four went from fifty to fifty five, and the Super Nintendo Controller went up five bucks to thirty five dollars. Switch to accessories some also went up in price. This is in addition to Yes, this is in addition to the price increase that happened right when they were announced, because that's when the tariffs first happened. They're doing more on the tariff phase. Mostly terraffased, you know. There's some other aspects to it, but it's mostly terraff based. Yes, the Joycon charging stand was thirty it is now thirty five. Pro controller was eighty five now it's ninety JOYCN two was ninety five now it's one hundred dollars, and the dock sets if you want an extra DOC was one twenty it's now one hundred and twenty five dollars. Ambo went up to twenty dollars from sixteen. The two pack of mebos, there's a handful of those. Those are either thirty five or forty dollars, depending on which ones you get. They were originally thirty dollars. Forty dollars for Ambo guys.
Speaker 4: That's insane, you know, Like the tears are definitely effect here, but there's a lot of this. It's just absolutely wild to.
Speaker 3: Me for the original switch, Like, yeah, the thing that must cost so much cheaper to make now.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, it's one thing to be like game console prices just never go down, Okay, increasing them like a past of them after the follow up comes out right, like a four hundred dollars switch ole. It actually kind of sounds like a crime, h Like it sounds like someone should go to jail for making that a thing. And it's if somebody. If I met somebody who's about to buy one of them, I would literally tackle them to the ground and try to stop them, stop them from doing that.
Speaker 5: That's what I.
Speaker 2: Don't get, Like, if you're trying to just liquidate inventory, I don't know if they are, what are you Are you trying to, like create a new above ground landfill? I like, so I think they're I mean one, I think that that the market conditions have made these companies think, well, we got to might really be mindful of our prices and we should try to raise them wherever we can, which sucks, and these companies will love raising prices, so they're doing that. But I think they think about it from the perspective of this will look like a story we're telling. When people go to look to make a decision about what console to get, and now the Switch to it is only fifty dollars more than a Switch one, and the switch to feels like a really good deal in that perspective of, Oh, I get the whole new generation, the console in its games can play all the original Switch one games, and I only have to spend fifty dollars more. It's the medium popcorn thing you're thinking about only fifty dollars more instead of oh, I'm spending five four fifty to five hundred dollars they won't get went you focusing on the fifty dollars? Now? Is that the entirety of this? Now? I think the reality is like sourcing parts for electronics these days is a shit, shit job. It just sucks and it is complicated, and it is causing these companies a lot of headaches. Could they still make a profit selling the switch one at the original price? Could they cut the price of it and still make a profit. I bet they could? Like how much could that cost to make? Now?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So they're selling all the switch shoes they're making right now already. I god to say that like might dry up a little bit and like maybe they're like, well, we're doing this, we don't have to increase the price of the switch too. Maybe it's like a tendo's hurting right.
Speaker 3: Come on, But it does seem like an expensive way to get to that end of like medium popcorning it.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, No, I think that's a buyper I think they're okay with doing that because they're gonna end up with this medium popcorn situation. The underlying motivating factors here are it's got to be mostly tariffs, and then the secondary thing, which is huge is we love raising prices, and we can get away with raising prices right now. So let's do it now while we while the getting is good, I think is the situation.
Speaker 4: And like if they're trying to create a scare of people going out and gates with you before the price of that goes up, kind of mission accomplished. Like you know, I'm talking to Mike my friends who I know probably wouldn't guess what's ntil in the new animal crossing comes out, and I'm being like, look, I know you want to wait till then, maybe just get one now you think you're ever going to get one?
Speaker 5: Like that?
Speaker 2: You said, like they're selling every switch through their making right now, but there is that next crop of people that they're focused on, and for that that group of people, the price urgency that you're talking about will be a factor. And then the medium pop thing is a very effective thing and that people take that into consideration and be like, well, I mean, look, it's only that much more so I think they're already kind of eyeing that segment and that's behind a lot of these decisions. I think they're all I mean, what this really says to me is these companies because Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo now have all raised prices in one way or another, and in some cases multiple times over the last year or two, and like in Sony's case, it's gone back like three or four years. I think what this says to the fact that they continue to do this is their belief is that things are not going to get easier for making electronics, Sourcing materials is not going to get easier. The tariff and market situation and the relationship between countries is not going to get better. Like if this is a bell weather about how corporations view our international cooperation levels, it's a bad sign. I think it also says that even Nintendo knows they got to make more money from the same people because they're not necessarily going to be growing the console market by leaps and bounds by bringing in new people, and so it's about nickel and diming the same ones that are sitting around that have been playing their games for forever. And that's also not a great thing. So it's it speaks to an underlying sort of ailment at the heart of selling video games to the console audience, and it's yeah, a sign that we're not in necessarily a great place, even though Nintendo is making a ton of money. All right, cool, yep, cool, This almost certainly doesn't stop, right, We're probably back here in within six months to a year, probably talking about that switch to price increase. Yeah, and the rest of the stuff doesn't go down in price at that time, So yeah, all right. BioShock fors leadership replaced as two K insists it's committed to delivering a great game. Take two as replaced the leadership. Kelly Gilmore, who was the studio head of Cloud Chamber has I think she's left the company. And then they moved Hogarth Dayly Plant, who did a bunch of stuff on the original BioShock games, to a publishing role, but also removed as creative director on the game. The reason given for this is, and this is from reporting from Jason Schreyer, that the game was up for an internal check with the publisher two K Games. Two K went and looked at it and said, we are not happy with this, and specifically because of the narrative. Right, the narrative is a problem. And I'm in the light not maybe not enough layhouses. You got to have at least one. They had zero. It's a big oversight. They also canceled a BioShock one remake earlier this year. I can't it's hard for me to imagine what could possibly be wrong with the story that the company is like, Yeah, let's delay this thing and remove the leadership and start reworking everything so we can really release this game later and spend even more money on it. The story must be either yes, they're saying narrative. The narrative must either be broken offensive or like unfollowable, or the executives are like, this is too woke and we don't want to draw the ire of Trump. Like I think there's a strong chance that this is like criticizing political figures the way a bioshot game might have done in the past, and I think in response to infinite criticism of that being to both sides, they're like, well, watch, we can we don't have to go both sides. We can really just do pointed criticism, and maybe the leadership doesn't like it. That's me speculating. I'm just baffled at, like, how you get to the point of we hate this narrative so much, we need to spend more money making this game. A video game executive does not strike me as the kind of person that would care about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seems really strange again, like I have criticism of Infinite Story the both sizing for sure, but also just that it started off as like a takedown of nationalism, right oh yeah, talk about that she was that was a disaster, But by the end of it, it's like, oh well, how about instead of that? Wouldn't it be crazy if there were two of you and one was from an alternate universe.
Speaker 5: And it just.
Speaker 2: Age is like a diaper in the hot sun?
Speaker 4: I think, Like yeah, but favorite video game quote ever I think is the whole there's always a lighthouse. People love that.
Speaker 2: No, there isn't.
Speaker 4: There's two times there was a lighthouse. Shut the hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look as someone who will really fucking Diana Hill for BioShock as a ip like, I love the first one is one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, so we could be friends.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't know. I mean, I kind of don't care. I just want I want to know, like, where are the fun judases. I realize it's a separate game from a separate developer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also at two K though it's a two K project, right, Yeah, I think I think that's supposed to come out next year or something, or maybe this was I don't know. People mentioned when we were talking about this on the other show in chat like there was some data attached to Judas or maybe there wasn't. They're both they both have been in development for a very long time. BioShock four has been in development apparently for ten years what ten years now, go ten Earth years, ten earth human years, and it's you could see like, okay, yeah, maybe part of the early part of that was like a lot of preproduction. That's possible whatever that is all costs because they all have to employ people at Cloud Chamber Games to make that. Now, that is maybe the frightening side of this is following up from this, Executives from two K went to Cloud Chambers, like, we are dedicated to making sure the game is good. Now we wouldn't mind some more efficiency and maybe streamlining, making you guys more wink agile, And everyone's like, oh, okay, they're gonna lay us off. They're gonna lay a bunch of us off, and so those those fears are now at the studio. But they like I remember the Infinite being, like, man, that game has taken a long time production, and they are they have to get that thing right, and then it has to sell a ton to justify as much time as they spent on it, and it didn't. It was kind of like a pretty good game that you know, I have my issues with it, but most people thought it was a pretty good game and it kind of did okay, did fine. The kind they're kind of it's even worse this time, where it's like it feels like the game is gonna miss even harder and then also is taking even more time, so it was probably more expensive than even Infinite was. It's wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I guess I just hadn't been paying attention to what was going on with BioShock for I can't believe the ten years then knocked me on my ass. I'm sitting down, but it's still knocked me on That's unbelievable. And and just to be clear, like Levie he has nothing, He's just on Judas.
Speaker 2: He has nothing.
Speaker 4: He's over on Judas, which is a video game that I like, going to come out to stop it.
Speaker 2: That's I'm sort of like a little excited for it.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, gosh, I don't. Part of me is like I'm trying to be careful because I'm trying remember I can't remember what the details were. But I thought I heard. I thought I heard that game was in trouble at one player another in my life, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean definitely Infinite was was weird because I think also it was the it was the mechanics too, like the.
Speaker 2: Right leg of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I remember everyone remembers that one E three demo. Yeah and yeah, and then what the game wounded up.
Speaker 4: Being the funniest thing in Infinite Too is like at BioShock, there was like you know, it kind of made sense. Yeah, there's like there's tonics or whatever, and they'll give you powers and it's kind of tied into this, and then in Infinitus it's like, here's the magic juice, so you have the magic abilities like in the last game, don't worry about it. You could still shoot bees from your hands or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yep. Like it just felt less considered on all those fronts, and Bio was like one of the more considered games of all time. So it just is a little.
Speaker 4: Baffling massive for the porn industry though.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sorry. Those character models from BioShock Infinite have been used in so much Steam Filmmaker porn it would blow your eyes into the back of your skyll.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: I think Advancement's an actual three D animation were made because people wanted to make porn based off that game so badly.
Speaker 2: Total easter egg there, I guess source filmmaker. Thank you guys, Okay, yeah, good for them. Yeah, wild story, Yeah, that's that's the I the woke stuff. Just I meanating, right, But like, tell me another reason that an executive would care about the story of a video game that that we are trying to make money from. Yeah, I don't know, like it would have to be so bad.
Speaker 3: I guess I don't want to believe that, right, because we also got a Superman that I feel like, yeah, but but flies in the face of that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that memo has gone out to the rest of the executives in that sort of community of creative industries. I think, yeah, James Gunn has the power to like say full fuck all y'all, I'm gonna make the movie I want to make. I don't think David Zaslov was like, here's my directive, get out there and get me a James Gun positivity. No, no, I know, I know, I know. Yeah, that's that's nuts. Maybe the yeah, maybe it's just a shitty story. I don't know. It could just be a very shitty story, bad.
Speaker 4: But I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't be surprised, right right, it wouldn't be And I just don't I like don't want to believe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right, so that's bosh. Apparently Lexi and Chat said Judas has been in development for thirteen years. What, Yeah, I don't know, I don't I don't know what what is the top?
Speaker 3: What has happened to time in the last fifteen years with BioShock inspired games?
Speaker 2: And that's like that's wild. But it's like that's also just like two games worth the development, like in normal time, for normal time right now, it's like, yeah, that that you could get maybe two games out in those years. All right, let's see here. There was a bunch of news out of EVO. We'll hit some of it. Mortal Kombat Legacy Collection is adding Mortal Kombat Trilogy. It's also getting a bunch of physical versions for Xbox, but that's like a limited run. And then PlayStation Switcher getting like full versions of the Switch version is even getting the full game on the card. And I think it's going to be ten dollars more expensive than the other platforms because they're going to put in one of those sixty four niggabyte cards. So that's the compromise there. It stinks, but also justification all lines up and it's like it's either this or it's gonna be on a game key card. What do you guys want to do? And I think most people who care about this and be like, we'll pay the extra ten dollars. But yeah, excited about that Virtual Fighter five as a new stage that they introduced. Let's see. They also showed off the some of the first in game like fighting footage and it was like almost looked like prototype footage, but looked very good for Virtual Fighter project from RGG, Like did you check this out? What do you think of it?
Speaker 4: So I did check that out. I thought it looked really good. It was good before it was like, oh, not actual gameplay, and this time I think it was more like this is no, this isn't running book. Put an engine. We got to see Sarah. It's some guy in a hat whose name. I didn't know. I think it looks great. I am so ready for Virtue Fighter to come back. That was like one of those I was there. I remember how important that it was. It was, so yeah, It's just I'm curious because Virtual Fighter is kind of two things where it is very pick up and play, especially those original ones, and then it became very technical, and I'm like, what do you which one of those do you lean into now? And I think you probably got to lean into it being sort of technical. Ideally you wanted to be both you can't pick up and play. But also there is all this deaf because at the court it's a two button fighting game. Even up to five, it basically was that, and I hope it kind of still stays like that. I hope they don't do things like ad super moves.
Speaker 2: So they specifically talked about that, Mike, and they said they are avoiding that. This is supposed to be a more grounded fighter, And yes, give me that. That always has been Virtual Fighter, but I think with the way this game looks, it lends itself even more to kind of being like, hey, this is going to be the Kuma te video game. Like here's just a tournament of fighters that don't have fireballs and stuff like that, and I want it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even compared to like a tech in which like is you know, martial arts, but it gets pretty wacky. Uh, and that's fun. That's good for tech and me. I want Virtual Fight to be a little bit more grounded and normal. The character were Akira or Ara, and that's just a Kira's new look.
Speaker 2: That's his new look. Yeah, and I know that all right. I should get excited for it. Also, quick correction, world Stage is apparently a single player mode for Virtue Fighter five revo. It just said world Stage and I'm like, I don't remember what that is. There was a bunch of other stuff, like news for a season pass per Hunter Hunter. There's a new character for Undernight in Birth two. I think, a bunch of stuff like that. They showed up Omnimn for that Invincible Versus game. It's pretty promising, Yes, very cool. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I played that at Yeah, it seemed fun. Pretty mortal Kombatti.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, and that's kind of you can see the lineage there. Marvel TOCN was definitely the big winner of the week in terms of getting people's attention and excitement. They showed off quite a bit of it in various forms, and then they announced that there is a closed beta coming up to September fifth through the seventh, So that's that's next month. I think the details about how to get into that are out there, so go check that out if you want to try to get him.
Speaker 4: I have a correction. It wasn't even Sarah Stella Sarah's daughter, Okay, okay, next generation shit happening, gotcha genera almost exactly like Sarah.
Speaker 2: Sarah just looked at him like my brain was like, yep, Sarah Sarah Bryant. Right is that her full name?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Because their brother was one of the other characters.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, U let's see hear and Ken is in Fatal Fury City the Wolves. We knew he was coming, but the Shadow dropped him, so he's available now in the game. I like KENA sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kensaney, I don't know. I played a little bit of that, and then pretty quickly I was like, this is a lot like stree Fire six. I think I'd never just be playing Street Fire six. In fact, I have been. I was because of some of the EVO hype. I was just like messing around, like I want to like learn zangeek better. I got pretty good the three sixty emotion. I was just doing some arcade runs while watching the tournament. There's some It was a lot of fun. I was enjoying Evo Mars's cap On two Grand Finals were great. I loved cap coversus Two Fighters six always a good time. Mean, watched some Grand Blue Fantasy versus Yeah Rising whatever. Yeah yeah Rising were all the pretty end. I mean, people fight each other with swords and stuff, and that was a fun one to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a yeah, I think that got new characters as well. Uh Teck and eight showed off Armor King. I was just coming to the game, and they also showed off I think the last new fighter, which is a legitimately new fighter.
Speaker 4: Lady.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bikini lady. That's yes, she is a bikini lady miari Zo from Madagascar. She's coming this winter to the game with a new stage. Armor King is coming October thirteenth. And then uh see Viper in Street Fighter six, which looked great. I thought she looked fantastic, very excited about that.
Speaker 4: Speak speaking speaking of the gooners, is she moved her tie over and now so we can see more of her cleavage. That was nice of her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she just points it right at the screen and fires them away. Yeah okay, And also it doesn't end there. Back Lar, a lot of the characters are getting their swimsuit costumes based on that old Street Fighter to art, and boy, the tan lines are just popping there than they've ever been they know.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, it is like it is because no one seems to mind. I was saying they shouldn't, but boy, they really.
Speaker 2: It's just.
Speaker 4: All gooners.
Speaker 1: Go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's just where we are.
Speaker 2: You'll look back on this era as it was their time of the gooner. All right, let's keep going here. Nintendo wants to know your thoughts on its divisive game key cards. They put out a survey. They did a survey in Japan a few weeks back. Now it's here and people are like sharing this around being like, go fill this out, go fill this out, to letting Nintendo, we are not happy with these things. Basically, they just want to know how you buy your games, what convinces you to buy physical versus digital, and a lot of people are using this to voice their opinion on game key cards and how unhappy they are with it. You know, Nintendo is probably like going to look at the number the sales numbers more than this. But I'm sure they will use this to help fill in, like come up with a decision about how to move forward with making their deals with the company that provides them with the ROM and the flash memory that they put into these game cards. And maybe this expedites their efforts to get smaller game cards sixteen and thirty two gigabyte that are more affordable so that they can help out third parties sell more more of their games unactual game cards as opposed to game key cards. But people are using this as a moment and we'll see if they're able to accomplish anything. I don't know what you got do either of you guys buy much physical on switch to do me.
Speaker 4: I mean, for one thing, I'm getting codes sometimes so right, so same, even even if I wasn't in that world. Even right now, with the few game like cards I have, I am like laying bat or them out. I'm like, I want to play this game. Oh, that's one of the few games I own visits and.
Speaker 2: It's all the way on the other side of the room.
Speaker 4: That's how bad I am no, I'm I'm fine with digital games.
Speaker 3: I know, I just am Yeah, I just you know, I I feel like we just got finished talking about them raising prices of ancient hardware.
Speaker 2: I like, I want to. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think you're ever going to get any win with them, right, Like, I'm I'm surprised there's a survey.
Speaker 2: What's gonna happen? What's like? What are they don't this would only like, right, this only helps us if it is combined with sales data that tells them, Okay, people aren't happy with this. We got to move some stuff and make some moves to get them more excited to spend more money. And it's like, then they use this information they get from the survey, and maybe that's why they're doing the survey. Maybe there's early indicators that they have that game key cards aren't selling the way that they expected them to. I dret that is the case, but that's the only reason that they would make any changes here. So yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Starfield is reportedly targeting PS five release in twenty twenty six, following week sales of its first expansion. The Yeah, that's mostly the story here. Not too surprising all the Microsoft games are coming to Xbox or coming to PlayStation five. Now, there was a time when when this game was about to come out where internally they said that game will never go to PlayStation, and boy, that has changed a lot, and now everything's going to PlayStation. This will probably coincide with the release of their next expansion for that game just got to be better than that first one that people seem to really hate, except for Greg Miller.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, this game was never going to be exclusive back when they thought this was going or there was never going to be multi platform, back when they thought it was going to be the big exclusive to save the Xbox series X Right.
Speaker 3: Do you have any indication that the performance and reception of Starfield was wildly a surprise by the makers and the public?
Speaker 2: Like, I mean, the surprise is tough because it's like as they're putting it out, like, are they getting mock reviews that like shape things?
Speaker 4: Real reviews were good ish?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, you're right, Yeah, they were mostly goodish. I think that like overall, like from the like when you look at the lifetime of the development of that game, from its conception through to the release, that I would settle it at it's probably a pretty big surprise because they built that thing to be what Skyrim turned into, the game that can last forever, and they didn't build Skyrim that way. They built this game that way to be able to like, hey, we have all these features that enable you know, play it over and over again for forever, and it's going to be different all the time, and it's really going to accommodate those players. And they did that part fine. They got everything else kind of a little bit off or you know, very substandard. And I think that they were so focused on that that they didn't realize that people weren't going to just be happy playing the game. And I bet that did catch them off guard for the most part. And you know, the performance of that game definitely was weak. There's no doubt there. Okay, let's see here Battlefield six. We got a lot of details of that game. You know, Vince sam Pella is in charge now, the guy from Titanfold, guy from Respawn. He says they want this to feel like a spiritual successor to three and four. People are feeling that way. As a reminder, people are very hot on the previews of twenty forty two as well, so I'm skeptical, although it does feel like this game maybe is even more well put together than twenty forty two was. At this point. They also promised to have they're going to sell skins. They promised to keep them grounded, they keep them feeling like they would fit with the rest of Battlefield. So what does that look like, you know, A bunch of different fatigues, I guess. But people are very precious about this and they're happy to hear that. We'll see how long that lasts. They don't plan to put it on Switch two, and they made a big deal about like, hey, we got a lot of veteran Dice developers, but we also brought in a lot of new blood to kind of reinvigorate this game. And now they have to sort of deliver on all of that. Now they are giving us some details games out later this year. There is going to be a Battle Royale mode, but like they still have to kind of sell this game, and it is going to be I think it's going to be seventy dollars here and eighty euro I think, I don't know if it's been confirmed in Europe. It's got a big uphill climb to sort of reach the place that they want it to be. But at this point it feels like it's in a pretty good position as long as everything else like delivers, like they have not stepped in it yet. Like, are you guys feeling any more confident about Battlefield at this point?
Speaker 4: I mean, the only sense is like, boy, the pressure is on, and you know, sometimes that can lead to good things. Sometimes it just doesn't really matter, or it can make things worse.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: They got me a little bit just from that trailer when they played the classic Battlefield song.
Speaker 2: In the middle of it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, Okay, oh, I did like Battlefield a lot once upon a time. So I'm rooting for them, I really am. I'd be down for it if it comes out and it is this great thing and I'm able to play some Battlefield for it. But I mean, I'm already more excited about this than another Call of Duty Black Ops again again again. Already.
Speaker 3: That's the benefit that Battlefield has. The thing it's got going for it is that it does whether or not the game is good, it does wait the right amount of time in between Battlefield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do let it. They let you miss it a little bit. Yes, especially if you're not like if you didn't get twenty forty two and you were like into one, it's been a hot minute, so that there's something there. Okay. So the other side of this is there is going to be a beta for the game. Close beta starts in two days on the seventh. I think it's gonna let you play around with quite a bit of the features, and then there's an open beta that's tacked on to the end of that that will start on the ninth. I believe that's correct. But the closed beta starts here very soon. I think to get into that you might have to pre order. I have not looked at the details of how you get in people. If you care about that, go check it out yourself. But it'll be on the open beta should be available on PS five, Xbox Series X and S and PC. You can play where you want, alright, last story here, The Power Rangers are headed to Fortnite Baby Fortnite chapter six season four details. Wow, Yeah, that's a deal. Hoping it would revive our boy. It's more fin time. It's more for best into the fetal position to the isolation chamber. Yeah, this is starting in two days as well. August seventh, you'll be able to start all those out. I thought I could resist, but the Power Rangers gig no, they got They're gonna get you back in Can I play as the White Ranger. I'm glad I didn't say white Power Ranger. That's got a different time.
Speaker 4: Wow. No, we liked him better when he was green. Anyways, Is this like one of those things where the whole season is based around them, or like they're gonna be Zords in Fort because that would be cool.
Speaker 2: Well, so, like, let's see here. I read the details because Jan kind of added this and I was excited for him. Confirmed collaborations for the season. Part of the upcoming Battle Pass includes Halo unsc Spartans, Power Rangers cosmetic content split between Battle Pass and Item Shop battle Pass. Yeah, it sounds like this the whole season because Tier one hundred unlocks Tommy Oliver's White Ranger skin. Good. You believe him there, he doesn't.
Speaker 4: You don't need him.
Speaker 2: They never needed a sixth Ranger. The five of them were fine, but.
Speaker 4: Green was my favorite color, and I got really excited when there was a Green Ranger.
Speaker 2: And then you're just I know what happened. Jane you love the Red Ranger because he was your Leonardo, he was your Cyclops. And then they kind of replaced his leadership position with Tommy and you've never forgiven.
Speaker 1: Him one hundred percent. We all know I like the boy Scout character. Yeah, and then the boy Scout character apparently wasn't cool enough, so they.
Speaker 2: That boy of games media, the Mike Manatti of the Power's.
Speaker 4: The Green Ranger.
Speaker 2: All right, yeah, so yeah, that's gonna be the focus of the season is just Power Rangers.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 2: Also to add, because you know I'm the guy, Yeah, you're a Fortnite guy.
Speaker 3: Reading all the Fortnite leaks, I got my spiders apparently, uh Soatoma from One punch Man sooner than later, which selfishly I'm very excited about.
Speaker 2: So that's gonna be awesome. Oh man, oh that this trailer for the Power Ranger. It's really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I really do hope, Like god, I think it like get zwords and if like five people can like meet what their zwords will becoming Vegas somehow they all pilot it together, like you mate, how sweet that would be.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 1: That being said, if they drop an EMO where it's Tommy playing the Dragon dagger and it goes yeah, I will lose my ship.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I mean there are zords in this trailer, so hell yeah, I hope that that's what they're promising.
Speaker 1: I love them.
Speaker 4: They're all dinosaurs ords those That was the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah one when it was a saber tooth tigers. So yeah, they got a little Yeah.
Speaker 4: Exactly, dinosaur, Jason dinosaur.
Speaker 2: I definitely put it in the dinosaur bucket.
Speaker 4: Both if they're both in the flintstones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. That does it for the headlines, does it for the news. I'm handing the show back over to Jan as long as he's okay, I can hand the show over to back Lark. Yeah, I want it, I want it, I want I want. I want to handed to Mike even Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what, Uh, I'm gonna highlight two emails and we'll do those and then we'll end the show after I take a quick Ricky break podcast jobm dot com is email address. Send your emails to write in about any and everything. You got a fun quiz, you want to avoid a social interaction or whatever, then hey, email us bombcaster John Bom dot com. We've been receiving a lot of lovely emails. I try and include all of them, but sometimes due to time more you know, someone's head exploding, can't get to all of them. But I still appreciate them. Mister MINAUGHTI can you read me this first email?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this email is titled where to donate, says, Hi Duders. It's from Jack Jake, excuse me, it's from Jake and Denver.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Jan makes it look so easy.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: Jen.
Speaker 2: Jen also did highlight this email in Dudie Brown.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, but the suglas sposed to be really uh dark because it is hard. I was gonna say anything. You don't have to fix it, Jan, I'll make it work. I recently pursaged Perch. I can do it.
Speaker 2: I can do it.
Speaker 4: Make sure my audio did it. All my audience going waked down because I screamed.
Speaker 2: Oh oh you're good.
Speaker 4: No, oh it's good, okay, oh oh, Sean fixed it. Shawn told me to do it, fix it fantastic. All right, here we go, everybody. I can scream all I want reading this EMO for the first time. Hi Dudors, this is from Jacob Denver. I recently purchased the switch to and am looking to donate my switch one. I would love to know if there are any organizations that you know of that would be worth donating this too. I've seen different ones online that donate these to children's hospitals and things like that, which seem awesome, But I really want to know if these are legit or if you have any organizations you would recommend. Thanks Jake and Denver. Gosh, I'm a bad person. I just hold to reading my old consoles forever and do nothing with them.
Speaker 3: I mean, I gotta say, while I'm not a bad person, I donate them quote unquote.
Speaker 2: To all the little kids in my family. So I don't I've never tried to do it. Yeah, I'm sure there are There definitely are legitim organizations do this, and if you give it directly to a hospital, they will, I'm sure, taken. I'm sure they're used to this sort of thing. Sure they probably want you to like bring a box of stuff and not just like here's a random switch with no power cable or something. But yeah, I think that there's probably people who work in these, you know, health institutions that will can point you in the direction of who you need to talk to to make sure that a kid is actually going to get their hands on one of these things. Yeah, I think that's a great idea.
Speaker 1: Additionally, I know that we automatically defaulted donating to a children's hospital, which you should do. I do encourage you to seek out a local hospital. Maybe their children's wing would accept the switch, but you know sometimes a convalescent home and a retirement home would also gladly take that.
Speaker 2: Just for you try to smuggle it into prison.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Mike Minatti. I highlighted another email. It's the very last one over there.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, this is a.
Speaker 4: Great highlight color. This one is from Simon from sweet In This says, this one is for you. Jan Laurele. I is Jeff Grubb, the older one but a bit chaotic. Rory is Jan, the young gun with the mind and heart in the right place. Luke is Bakalar, mister business himself, always hard working in the obvious hat wearing. Jack is MINAUGHTI the bad boy of the Gilmore girls. Oh and Kirk is Dan. He's just the weirdest. Much love, signing from Sweden. I know nothing about those girls except they're really Are they from a place called Gilmour or are they in the Gilmore family.
Speaker 2: I think they're the Gilmour family, but I could be wrong. Now Gilmore is their last name.
Speaker 1: Uh. Laurel I is like the mom, and then she's like a single mom, and then Rory's the daughter. Uh. If you've watched Marvelous Mims Maisel, the DNA is all over that show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I know about it is because of Amy Sherman Paladino.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I know that it exists, yes, uh, and I know it's influential. I know people as there was a gun on there, right, there was the one before James gun got really popular, the other gun yes, yes, and he played the Kirk Yeah, Jan is it true people don't like her new show? H what's the new show? Uh? It's like it toilet. Oh I haven't.
Speaker 1: I would have got the chance to check it out yet, mister Minatti. Do we have any super chats?
Speaker 4: We do have some super chats, Thank you so much. Our friends on YouTube Ali Miracle said had to make a super chat about it. I left so hard at don't point out a star around him in my kitchen making breakfast. My neighbors came by to make sure I was okay. That was technically in the priest show if you missed it, idea listeners, But I was talking about my my father, doctor Dad. He's superstitious and one of his big ones is you can't point out a star or it's bad luck. And the only way to break the bad luck is to bite your finger in front of him. I've never heard anyone else bring this one your finger to bite your finger.
Speaker 2: Graduate from med school.
Speaker 4: Uh, Chris Kish says, good day, gentlemen. I'm a new Giant Bomb fan this year, loving the shows. I'm still laughing at the Giant Bomb dev kit is a vape in some nice Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Chris, Chris, if you don't mind, we got to study your brain. Next lander did that recently when they're like, discovered a bunch of new listeners and they're like, we got to talk to you. We have to find out how you found us, and we need to do at bottomy. You'll get a sedative. Don't worry about It'll be fine at.
Speaker 4: Least for us. Right now, somebody's like, oh, I found you this year. I assume because you know we were in some headlines when we bought it, right, So I assume that's why.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're right with the headline. There was the header image with you as a Giant I want the jtuary it was.
Speaker 4: Alex w P says, I missed Mikey Well here, I am Alex right here for you. You'll miss me, agad my Dan's not here though, Yes. Martin Hollis says, what would the GB crew be if they were d K transforms? Hm Uh I would be a bear.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I would be yeah, just turn into a car back ar be.
Speaker 4: A hockey puck our yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh ja.
Speaker 4: Yeah with arms and big arms gross uh. And then Martin Hallis's back says, I love you all by want to let Grub and Minati know I'm reg McFly on their discord. Love them and I love everyone on Giant Bomb, especially Jan Thank you, Martin, appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Martin.
Speaker 4: Breezy Caesar says encountering the black Hole well high as a kite was a visceral experience. I can't find any games that make me feel the way outer wild to try Riven. There was a kind of a black hole and ribbon that had that had me freaking out, and then we get back and somebody contained it. I was like, what's going on here. So yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Excited a lot of ribbon ahead of us and looking forward to it.
Speaker 4: Excited for it. Zombie Pornce is Phoenix down moment by just realized Game of Morning is at eleven am Eastern because that's morning for grub and missus at three pm because that's the morning for my That's about right, That's about right. U No, no griy vt, says Hoy bomb boys. First time, long time. I started listening three years ago and been following all your other podcasts since. I had to finally say thanks for making my dull job more bearable.
Speaker 2: Ps.
Speaker 4: Jurf is the coolest co owner peans thanks Bud found its all fantastic un co No Nay Kosama doctor Dad, the dad doctor, the bad boy of Ohio Medical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, he's the bad boy of medicine, righting scripts left and right.
Speaker 2: He don't care nobody. There you go.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. Well, Jan, the show could be back, you could wrap things up. We can hang out some more if you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, chiller, no, I'm gonna play the music.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Okay, I guess everyone for another lovely episode. Apologies for my brain just melting.
Speaker 2: It was fine. You were fine showing just okay.
Speaker 1: We got grounded two popping off tomorrow. Blake Club Folks has moved a Thursday due to assignments and everything. Voicemail Dump Truck is also moving earlier up earlier.
Speaker 2: That day was so twelve thirty Eastern times, so about half an hour after gmm everybody.
Speaker 1: We got some quick looks on the way, some planning around all of debt upf as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're gonna do Sunderfolk everybody, which is a multiplayer tactics game where everyone plays that control something on their phone. So we'll get a crew together for that and we'll play through some of that and looking forward to it. Game. Miss Morning is popping off for the rest of the week, folks. There's the music. He's the Jeff. He's the Jeff, He's the mic.
Speaker 1: I've the jan I'm gonna go throw up in the toilet and go crawling to a dark bluish I'm just gonna transition now.
Speaker 4: Rest Our Hero