Speaker 1: Welcome. Just handaway tagalog sermon podcast. Your Daily does am inspiring, heartfelt tagalog.
Speaker 2: Sermons from different pastors and speakers all over the Philippines.
Speaker 1: We hope that this podcast finds you in good shape.
Speaker 3: And now here's your message. You were listening to a message from Victory. We hope it inspires you to honor God and make disciples in your community.
Speaker 2: Our passage, our main texts will today will be on Psalm thirty four, verse eight.
Speaker 1: Can everybody uh say this verse with me? One two three, go old taste.
Speaker 2: Blessed is the man who trust in him.
Speaker 1: Blessed is the man who trust in him.
Speaker 2: In some version, like in ESV said, blessed is the man that takes refuge in him. So whether you're high or low, you're you're you're seeking comfort, you're seeking for clarity, have refuge in him, trust in him. Okay, don't taste and see yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're hearing it right. I know I'm doing this right before fasting. Okay, but this is not an allegory. When when when David wrote this, it's not pertaining anything. No, it's pertaining to food. Okay, he said, oh, taste and see what he is saving. What he's saying here.
Speaker 1: Is his is engage all your senses, taste and see. Okay, when you see food. When you see food, to fully engage it, you have to actually swallow it and taste it.
Speaker 2: At first, when you see food, you just see and then you when you come closer, there's gonna You're gonna smell the aroma.
Speaker 1: Right of the food.
Speaker 2: But but that's not complete. You can't tell if the food is good or not by just seeing and smelling. Engaging your food seenses mean you have to put it inside your mouth, taste it, feel the texture, and actually taste how good it is, and swallow it. Maybe some of us you've been.
Speaker 1: In church last year was your bandary year wide?
Speaker 2: Because in twenty sixteen, I've perfected church. How did you perfect church, perfect attendance, not only that perfect victory group. My victory group leader got laid twice and I did not, So I perfected church. That's that's good, But that's that's not really good. Engaging full census means you have you have, you have embraced, you have embodied the fullness and the goodness.
Speaker 1: Of not church, but of Jesus, of the one that we serve.
Speaker 2: When you come to church just for attendance, when you come to to to church just just for a checklist, check things.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe you've seen me after services.
Speaker 2: There are some kids who would ask me to sign their their Christian living for school, Christian living something for school, curriculum for school that I have to sign it.
Speaker 1: I hope it's not for mere attendance.
Speaker 2: You have to taste, you have to see, you have to engage the fullness in the goodness of what God offers in our church. Whenever tastes and see almost I'm always reminded of this picture.
Speaker 1: This is not this is a candid shot.
Speaker 2: It's Tammy did that post this Pastor Dennis, the one, the oblivious one on the other side, Mika when she was three years old and Tammy.
Speaker 1: It's a candid shot. That that's how she tastes and see food.
Speaker 2: She savors, the aroma, she savors, the time, she savors them, everything about eating. She's very passionate when it comes to food. I remember one time early on when when when we became friends and we went to a buffet. I saw Tammy in the line and then she approached me and asked me Larry Denis. I was kind of frantic because I see that tear is starting to roll from her from her eyes, and I was wondering, Okay, what's wrong.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 2: So I approached her and said, okay, what's going on. I don't wear Dennis's but what's wrong? And she was like, no, I just need somebody to share my happiness. I'm full of joy because I'm in this buffet. She's not overacting. That's really how she is. When you come to church, are you just merely tasting? Take a pic, I mean testing lung, take a bitem sat.
Speaker 1: I don't like it.
Speaker 2: I don't like the sound too loud, I don't like the video. Jared didn't do a good job. The lights, I mean destructs my trying to be spiritual. I can fear the Lord because of the all the lights.
Speaker 1: Are just merely trying to taste it? Or do you want to embrace the fullness of what this is?
Speaker 2: All of what church has to offer, what of the presence of God? We when we come to church, we have to realize that it's it's not just for for us to listen to take notesice good uh, to take a picture of the of the of the slides. But my prayer is there's always a response. Is your responsor really inching your way closer to the Lord or just testing trying smell? Is it feeling the cushion? You have to fully enjoy God's goodness. Indeed, you have to savor it. You have you have to take time, you have to grow into it. And uh and and and I've had I have hundreds of pictures of my wife just enjoying her time with God. This is this was taken when when we had our New Year celebration in Bagyo and conchant Hey and and she would deliberately wake up early year than any one of us.
Speaker 1: We have a six year old daughter.
Speaker 2: You know, once she's awake, it's all about Lara, Lara, Lara.
Speaker 1: But but my wife would wake.
Speaker 2: Up earlier than anyone just to enjoy her time, just to enjoy, just to savor her time time with God, time with the Lord. And we hear come taste and see it's all about God's goodness.
Speaker 1: And the Lord is good. He is good.
Speaker 2: He is good all the time and all the time, the Lord is good. But to be amable to fully appreciate this ur text, we have to go to its parallel verse in First Samuel twenty one, This is David talks about David. But David was actually David. Remember David, right, David, the one who killed Goliath. David, the future king of Israel.
Speaker 1: But he's in He's running away. He's scared for his life. Saw us after him, Saul and and and ten tens of thousands of his men was trying to kill him.
Speaker 2: He's being chased, the future king of Israel. And and out of desperation. Out of desperation, he went to God, the.
Speaker 1: City of God.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's what's so significant with the City of God, with King Akish there is that this is the city where Goliath comes from.
Speaker 1: Remember Goliath, Goliath, the giant that Joseph slain.
Speaker 2: Remember that we may not yes, David, I'm just testing you guys.
Speaker 1: The fast Mahagan.
Speaker 2: He went to the hometown of the giant that he's laying. What's going on in his mind? I don't know, I really don't know. But he was desperate. Maybe it's strategy. Maybe it's because I don't think Saul would would would ever go there and and and check me out or if I'm there, but out of desperation went.
Speaker 1: David heard these comments and was very.
Speaker 2: Afraid of what King Akish of God might do to him. So he pretended to be insane, scratching on doors and drooling down his beard. While he was there, somebody recognized him. Somebody recognized David and told on him out of desperation what he did. He acted insane, scratching his back on the door, drooling and drooling. Maybe you're in that desperate season now. Maybe you're not acting insane. You don't know if you're insane, but you're in that desperate moment, desperate moment that worries of life, debtors, consequences of sin that you've done before.
Speaker 1: Whether you're in that moment or that, what do you do? Who do you turn to?
Speaker 2: Do you just simply forget God, his goodness, what he has done to you, turn your back on him. So David left God and escape to the cave of Adam. Soon his brothers and all his other relatives joined him there. Then others began coming, men who were in trouble, or in debt, or who were just discontented, until David was a captain about four hundred men. The context of Psalm thirty four is He was writing it inside a cave. He got away from the City of God from King Akish, went to a cave in Adam and wrote this psalm.
Speaker 1: Wrote this psalm. It's a thanksgiving him.
Speaker 2: It's a thanksgiving song, he wrote inside a cave.
Speaker 1: Are you in that desperate moment?
Speaker 2: Are you right running, hiding or trying to veer away from anything?
Speaker 1: What do you do? Do you sing songs? Do you ready your arsenal? David just said, Praise God, Praise the Lord for you are good. Praise the Lord for your good.
Speaker 2: Verse one said, I will bless the Lord at all time. His praise shall continually be in my mouth. He had four hundred men in his troops. Instead of rallying them saying, come on, we can do this. We can go against Saul, we can go again against Akish, he said.
Speaker 1: No, no, stop the war. Worship God, Bless the Lord, Praise the Lord.
Speaker 2: Let's stop worship him, be thankful, praise his name, Praise the Lord. That's his answer. My soul makes its bows in the Lord. Let the humble hear and be glad. David said, I bows in the Lord.
Speaker 1: Why because of answered prayers?
Speaker 2: Okay, where's the answered prayers? He's inside the cave. He's running for ten thousand men, but saying.
Speaker 1: Lord, you are good always, you are still good. I am still alive.
Speaker 2: I was able to hide in the city of God when they recognize me, I was able to escape. Now in the I'm in the cave. Lord, You're still good. Praise be to God.
Speaker 1: When you're in that desperate moment, what do you do? Who do you run to? Who do you call? Who do you call for help? They call for God, they cry for God.
Speaker 2: Is it the only time that you go to your Bible and chich hang emergency, break the Bible?
Speaker 1: You open? You only open the case in case of emergency. You go to God.
Speaker 2: To know God more, to praise his name, to pray, to be able to praise the Lord.
Speaker 1: You need to know him more. You need to know his goodness.
Speaker 2: Talking about God's goodness today, talking about how how how our lives should should should should should be seen, that should be a testimony of his goodness. In Verse three said, oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together. Inside the cave, he's writing this magnify, He's calling out this troupe he's rallying his troop instead of telling them make arms.
Speaker 1: Magnify the Lord with me, and.
Speaker 2: Let us exalt his name together. How do you can you imagine this? I'm a kid church pastor, so I always have an object lession in mind.
Speaker 1: Okay, can you imagine you're inside the cave?
Speaker 2: If this is kid's church, I would ask everybody to close your eyes. But can you imagine you're inside a cave?
Speaker 1: Magnify? How do you magnify? It's dark? How do you magnify? You can even see anything? I mean, when you move to your level, to your right, it's another person's face.
Speaker 2: You don't even have to look there because you can smell them. You're inside the cave. Sometimes what we magnify in our situations is not God. Most of the time, what we magnify is our circumstances. Faster I thought break through years twenty sixteen. But still the Lord rejected. The Lord did not approve, the Lord with hell, the Lord. The Lord won't withhold. It's not for you yet, But the Lord wouldn't. The Lord is always good. He is always good. What we always magnifie in our situation focus is always on us, you know, when you look at the magnifying glass.
Speaker 1: There's two things to two sides here.
Speaker 2: When you hold the magnifying glass, when when when you hold it close enough, you'll make things bigger. But then when you close it's so close to you, you won't see anything in You only see your reflection. Maybe you're holding the magnifying glass and looking at circumstances. Is it it always reflects back on you.
Speaker 1: It's still you, it's still you, It's still us. Magnify the Lord, Praise the Lord.
Speaker 2: Magnify who he is, his goodness, his greatness, Magnify him. I always think about this, that there's a part of us because of how the fraility of us being human. It's our finite human wisdom can never fully comprehend God's infinite goodness, our finite human wisdom. My prayer is that you always seek wisdom for discernment to be upright, but it will always fall short of His goodness.
Speaker 1: Of how great a God he is.
Speaker 2: Remember, there's a study by Barner Group in the US. Barner Group is a think tank, and one of the main obstacles for people to become Christians.
Speaker 1: Is this.
Speaker 2: They always want to answer this, how can a good God allow all this evil in the world. This is always their question, How can a good.
Speaker 1: God allow all the evil in the world? The question is, how can you say that God is good when there's evil around you? Have you ever thought about, Yeah, why does he allow poverty? Why fast? Or why did he allow the breakup of my parents? Why did he Why did he allow wickedness or sickness? Why did he allow some people to have to live in lack? Why did he allow this? How? Why?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: This is my simplest answer to all of you.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't but I'm certain of one thing that when he said that when he gives us promises.
Speaker 1: It will come to pass, it will come to pass.
Speaker 2: I know that who that is the God that I serve, that he is faithful and he is true. In some one verse five, he said, for the Lord is good, his tad fast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.
Speaker 1: He's faithful to old you.
Speaker 2: I claim this now in the lives of my children and my children's children.
Speaker 1: Yes there will be poverty, Yes there will be there is sickness.
Speaker 2: But then I name, I know that God has a great plan, that his purpose will prevail.
Speaker 1: That is true to his word. When he promises me that he will never leave me, nor forsake me. He will never leave me, the forsake me. When he promised me, blessing to generations and generations, blessing all the words of our hand.
Speaker 2: He will come, he will pull through. It will come to pass. Because that's his promise. That is only me because I can say that I seek God and I want to know God, and I'm knowing I'm living this relationship with him.
Speaker 1: Can can you say that? Okay?
Speaker 2: Can you say that? Or you would go back again and magnify what you're going through your circumstances. I know that I trust him so that he can turn around situation.
Speaker 1: For our own good that he.
Speaker 2: Needs and he wants the best for you and I.
Speaker 1: I remember, I remember what C. S. Lewis wrote.
Speaker 2: We said, God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pain.
Speaker 1: The thing is, when we are so consumed with pain with.
Speaker 2: Me, me me, what what I'm feeling, What what I'm suffering?
Speaker 1: In? You hear your own Christ, You hear your own, your own misery, and it takes the place of God. Already whispering to you his comfort, his joy, his peace.
Speaker 2: My prayer is that in pain and suffering, we know that God is still in control, that we will not let go and just succumb to the pain. Not We're not just going to go back to our cave and hide there and have our own pity party. Romans eight, verse twenty eight says, and we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose. Again, it is about his purpose when you come to church and and what you try to seek God. You come to church and it's all about you because I need this, I want this.
Speaker 1: Church is not for you. It's not a relationship that you want with God.
Speaker 2: You're asking like a like God is an atm. I do this, I do this for you, So give me back.
Speaker 1: No. Remember, God has given us everything.
Speaker 2: Everything after salvation is already a bonus. He gave his one and only son for you and I.
Speaker 1: It's enough.
Speaker 2: It should be enough that He is for you, he's not against you, that he's sovereign over your situation.
Speaker 1: He knows what is best for you and I. You know Joseph, You know Joseph.
Speaker 2: The dreamer, with with with the with the Rainbow code Joseph. He simply just waited when when when?
Speaker 1: When?
Speaker 2: When his brother sold him and sold him to become slave in Egypt. And in Egypt, he thought that he would he would, he would be okay because he's in the household of Potiphar. But then Partiphar's wife tried to do something to him that he was accused of of of lasting over Partifar's wife. He was put in prison, in prison, he was he he remembered the dreams of the the fairy.
Speaker 1: He was called. He was promised this.
Speaker 2: He never even had the one bitter word for God. But he just simply waited. He knew his time. He knew his time would come. So with David, he knew all along that I will be the next king of Israel. Why am I going through this? Why am i inside the cave? I can have a I cannot have a kingdom inside the cave. He was not after the promise because he has a relationship with the promised giver. He has a relationship. He knows God who promise him that you will be the king of Israel.
Speaker 1: So I never never did his his his faith.
Speaker 2: Waiver I remember a story from this book Hiding Place about Corey and the Betsy tan Boom. There they're they're Christians from Denmark, but during the time of holocausts uh, they were imprisoned inside the Nazi camp, Nazi concentration camp, and.
Speaker 1: They were assigned to one of the worst German barracks.
Speaker 2: Nazi barracks, full of fleas, no electricity, rarely water, no no no uh, no windows, no air inside.
Speaker 1: It's it's horrific.
Speaker 2: Every day Betsy would would Betsy and Corey would read the Bible and pray, and they would sing songs. They would worship God and pray for each other, pray for pray for people there, and sharing the Gospel.
Speaker 1: In one of their morning devotional they came.
Speaker 2: They came to first the Salonian five eighteen, where it said give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ.
Speaker 1: Jesus for you. So Betsy told Cory, why don't we do this, Why don't we give God thanks for our circumstances, because this is the will of God for us.
Speaker 2: Corey couldn't do it. Corey told Betsy, I don't know, maybe you do it, but not me. I'm not gonna thank God.
Speaker 1: For this circumstances where we are.
Speaker 2: This situation, this this madness where we are. But after much prodding, Betsy actually prevailed and and and Corey started blessing the place.
Speaker 1: Said Lord, thank you Lord, that you've given.
Speaker 2: Us a roof over our heads, that we are in side this camp. Thank you Lord, that we are not inside, that we're inside and we're not outside freezing.
Speaker 1: Thank you Lord, even for the fleece.
Speaker 2: I know, Lord, there's a purpose why you've given us fleece, So thank you even for the fleece. Sounded crazy, But months later they found out why they are still they were still alive. Months later, they found out that the reason why the guards don't go to their barracks, it's because of the fleece. Their barracks was actually infested with fleece. That's why they can praise God freely. That's why the guards never knew that they had Bibles. That's why they can they can pray for each other.
Speaker 1: It's because of those fleas. Now, I hope when you look at fleas.
Speaker 2: You would thank God as well before you actually kill them.
Speaker 1: God is good, He's always good.
Speaker 2: It's not about your situation, But it's about him. We have to know who this God that we're having a relationship with. Verse four, I sought the Lord and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. David is saying, I sought him. I seek the Lord and he answered me.
Speaker 1: That's why I can praise God. That can even though I'm inside the crave, I'm running for my life. It's okay because God is always good.
Speaker 2: Because I sought him and he answered me. Have you sought after God? Do you seek the Lord? When do you seek the Lord? When do we seek the Lord? Do you in play and fastening pastor? Because I'm a fasting and I want the fast thing to be faster, so.
Speaker 1: I seek the Lord? When do you actually seek the Lord?
Speaker 2: Inside the cave counsands after him Future King of saying, I'm certain that God would fulfill his promise.
Speaker 1: I seek him. When God is present in your life, fear, worry, doubt exits. It's out the door. It's out the door.
Speaker 2: It's never there's not even a room for doubt, fear worry inside.
Speaker 1: If God is present, if you're full of faith, full of faith means you don't see it yet, But you're certain.
Speaker 2: That it would come to pass. You know why, because I have a big guard and he is good. Because I know him, I have a relationship with him. So now fear, get out, sickness, worry.
Speaker 1: Get out. God is present. Remember this is almost eleven years ago.
Speaker 2: When my wife and I were were praying for God to restore our marriage. You know what, we we actually didn't undergo any marriage counselors. Okay, we not not a single we got separated. Not a single marriage counseling happened.
Speaker 1: None.
Speaker 2: When when when when we talk to our cousins, the people who share the Gospel with us, they immediately plugged us into a victory group.
Speaker 1: It was a small group back then.
Speaker 2: They immediately established us in word and prayer. And inside the church there wasn't There wasn't marriage counseling, one, marriage counseling, two, family therapy one, uh psychiatric reward one psychiatric ward.
Speaker 1: None.
Speaker 2: We simply sought the Lord. We continue to seek the Lord now. That is the only thing that restored our marriage. When we sought God. When we fully intentionally see God, seek the Lord, know him, praise his things.
Speaker 1: Those who look.
Speaker 2: To him are ragant, and their faces shall never be ashamed.
Speaker 1: The thing, the thing with us, the thing with.
Speaker 2: The how our mind comprehends stuff, is that we we always get easily embarrassed when we do sin. We don't get embarrassed, we just do it. But when being confronted and coming coming in the presence of God asking for forgiveness, suddenly we're ashamed. We turn to a to a small dog cowering there. No God is saying, you don't have to hide anything. I've known you, I've seen you at your worst. What are you ashamed of? I know who you are, I know you by name, I know the count of your hair, and I know whatever he did. And there's nothing we can do can actually make us inch closer to him. He knows the very worst in us. And when we were there, he took us plainly. He didn't wait for us to be clean, but as dirty as messy as we are, he took us in. So why are we now ashamed? In two thousand and eight, I remember it was the first time that me and my wife were given a chance to share our testimony and how God restored our marriage.
Speaker 1: I wasn't the pastor yet.
Speaker 2: It was in music museum, and we got so many calls, so many text messages from friends, families, and then from people around us. They were actually apprehensive on us going on stage and sharing how God restored our marriage. They were actually as embarrassed for us, or they.
Speaker 1: Were they fear or they're worried that something.
Speaker 2: Might happen, or people might not take it. But we had peace. We prayed about it, and we knew that it was the right moment, it was the right time, it was the right venue, it was the right place.
Speaker 1: So we shared the testimony and then and when we did.
Speaker 2: So, because we know that it is for God's glory. We know that people would eventually and would see and would magnify on His goodness, not on our imperfection. We knew all the while that if it's God's calling for us to share that testimony, they would.
Speaker 1: Know that we are imperfect.
Speaker 2: But then there's a big God who made us righteous, who clothed us, who.
Speaker 1: Gave us that road of righteousness.
Speaker 2: Remember that robe that they put on us to cover us, the robe of majesty. It's not ours. We didn't even earn it. He just freely gave it to us as.
Speaker 1: Heirs, as sons.
Speaker 2: And daughters, now we are clothed in majesty because of His righteousness. That's reminded when to talk about Joseph a while ago in Genesis fifty, verse twenty, he said, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good.
Speaker 1: God can turn it around and put it.
Speaker 2: To good, for his purpose, according to his will, according to his purposes.
Speaker 1: Verse six.
Speaker 2: This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him.
Speaker 1: Out of all his troubles. Are you in trouble or in times of trouble? What do you do? In times of trouble? Who do you run to? Who do you run to?
Speaker 2: In times when I'm afraid? I seek the Lord and he delivers me. When I'm afraid, when I'm not certain, I just run to him.
Speaker 1: And that's small thing and big thing, like an assignment in church. How to raise up my children?
Speaker 2: We have issue in finances, I would go stay to him because I know that he will deliver me. In times of shame, yes, they're a shame if he did something wrong circumstances, What do you do?
Speaker 1: Who do you run to? How do you cover?
Speaker 2: Do you look for your own cave somewhere and hide there? What do you do I'm always reminded that when I'm a shame, he took my shame away. Jesus did that on that cross. Jesus did that on that cross. He took all the shame from all of us. In times of trouble, I just simply run to God. Why again?
Speaker 1: Because I know God, and I know that God is good. That is good.
Speaker 2: When we say fear and trust the Lord, it doesn't mean fear. Go hide in your cave and fear.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Fear is the absence of evil. If you fear the Lord, evil is not there, because now I can fully trust. Fear is if faith is not there. Fear and trust him. Fear, trust, O pay praise him always because he is good.
Speaker 1: As we end. I want to share this story.
Speaker 2: In twenty fifteen, a lot of our staff, around eight of them, either staff or spouses of our staff, were praying to conceive twenty fifteen, and one after another they conceived. One after another, eight were praying, and around seven of them conceived. Can you imagine twenty sixteen for us and noahula three months, three months, three months. But we know that God is good. Some of them those pregnancies were actually hard. Some who got pregnant.
Speaker 1: The doctors would tell them you won't get pregnant, but still they conceive it. Now they have babies.
Speaker 2: We have actually seven or in new babies in our in our staff now.
Speaker 1: But Gay and Mike kept on hoping, and they prayed and fasted.
Speaker 2: One baby after another got born, and still they were waiting until twenty sixteen when they got pregnant, but then.
Speaker 1: They lost the baby.
Speaker 2: It was it was really hard for them. This story could have been good, right if it ended me announcing now that they're pregnant, But they're not. They're still waiting, they're still hoping, but their faith never wavered.
Speaker 1: Actually, Gilla said that her faith.
Speaker 2: Even got stronger and stronger because she knew that God is good and God is sovereign.
Speaker 1: And then and that God is God, she.
Speaker 2: Writes, answered prayer or not, God is still God, and God is good. His steadfast love for us is there, no matter what, no matter what.
Speaker 3: Thank you for listening to this message. For more messages like these from other Victory Centers, please visit Victory dot org, dot pH, Slash resources, Slash Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. We hope that you enjoyed today's episode.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to share and subscribe to this podcast for more.
Speaker 1: God bless you all.