Speaker 1: I'm for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started hour number two here on a Monday afternoon. Thanks for hanging with us, Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery Coffee and Company fuel by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. And we did mention this at the beginning of the show, but I did not get much into it, and I really I wish I had more that I could add, but I don't, but it is certainly something worth bringing up. Louisville basketball has added a new player for the upcoming season, and obviously when you lose James Scott and there hadn't been a replacement yet, and then you find out that Ali Khalifa was still trying to get his eligibility situation figured out. As if now he's not eligible, obviously they're going to appeal that decision from the NCAA, and I think from what we know, I really don't see area where they would be able to claim that he's not he's not entitled to another season to play because he's only played three. But anyways, this edition was out of nowhere, at least for me. It seems like it was for a lot of folks. But Mohammed Kamara is the new edition. He is from Senegal. He's a twenty year old prospect who has been playing at NBA Academy Africa, and he's viewed as a four star prospect by twenty four to seven Sports. I don't know if he's actually ranked in the twenty four to seven Sports rankings because I don't And it makes sense when it comes to ranking the top prospects in a class. When you're twenty years old and you've never played like prep school, AAU or even like high school basketball in the States, I think you can be like you can be evaluated, but it's tough to kind of know where you rank because again, yeah, you are starting your college career, but you're likely a little older than others, like, for example, I guess technically there is one service that ranks these players coming from overseas that are a lot older than eighteen but are technically going to be freshman like Sonny Frew is a top twenty five player in one of the rankings, but in another ranking, I think they just view him as a four star prospect because again, it's tough to know, you know, and if you did, if you chose not to rank these guys who come from who come from overseas, especially those that are already playing pro ball, I mean, I think it would be one hundred percent justified. But anyways, he's a six to a big average ten points, seven boards, three and a half assist, three steals, two and a half blocks a game, shot just about thirty eight percent from three to sixty percent overall. So I'm just reading and ripping these numbers because again, this is the first time I've heard of this guy. But here is a quote from Roland Houston, who is the high school coach and has as has been a part of NBA Africa, I believe, for quite some time. Here's how he describes the four star player. Quote, A competitive spirit, defensive intensity, He's a terrific teammate, he's a winner, and he has a good feel for the game. Obviously he's he comes from the same background as Gorgy Jang, which the Louisville fans are aware of. He's just unbelievable all around good person. But he's a tough kid. I mean, I'm not saying that this coach is comparing him to Gorgy, but just mentioning Gorgy and knowing that they do come from the same background. As far as Senegal, I'm all in Gorgy Jang one of the low key, Like I feel like he's one of the low key most beloved players we've ever had here, wouldn't you say, Austin Gorgi's up there, like, oh yeah, that twenty thirteen group and really that run. It's hard because all those guys are loved, but Gorgye. There was an innocence to Gorgy. Oh of course that just made him so lovable. And he really listened to.
Speaker 3: Rick Bettino and like he he's a very.
Speaker 2: Receptive Yeah, and he you know, like he got a lot better from start to finish, Like he just wanted to work and get better and obviously turned that into a decade long career in the NBA. And now he's working for the front office of the Spurs. So uh.
Speaker 3: And a lot of people from the NBA seemed to also had the same sentiment though.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Was everyone seemed to love Gorgy because he also does a lot of off the court as well.
Speaker 2: When he was in Minnesota, they did a really they put a lot into it as well. They sent a lot of resources from their organization and even hired I think a production crew to really document and highlight all that he had done from had used his NBA money to go back and help improve where he grew up in Senegal. So yeah, and you don't end up in that position he's in. And I don't even know the title of it, but I mean he went straight from playing to being a front office staffer. You don't do that unless you have high regard in the NBA, which you know that can go a long way. So again, I'm not comparing this young man to Gorgy, but anytime I get to talk about Gorgey, I'm gonna do it because he's he's an all time great. The two best stories of Gorgy Jang, at least that I know of that I can think of, is he did not know that offensive foules counted, and he refused to come out of a game after he filed out because he you know, he's a pretty smart guy. They people forget. They initially ruled him ineligible. He had I believe a par a fixed score on one of the one of the tests. Act or sat and he spoke I think, like seven languages. But the NCAA said, yeah, we can't determine if his curriculum that he that he had before he came to the United States to go to Huntington Prep. We can't determine if that curriculum was up to par with what we require. So he's ineligible. And I remember Rick went out of his way to really tell people, like they think this guy's not smart. He speaks, you know, he's like he's he didn't even know any English much when I first met him. Now he's he's clearly fluent enough to where he can have a conversation. He had a perfect score on one of these tests. So luckily the NCAA got it right. But you know, Gorgy, I think it might have been against might have been an exhibition game, but I mean I remember watching it on TV and he would not go out of the game, and he walked over to Patino like, hey, go to the scores table and tell him it's wrong. And Rick had to tell him like, no, those offensive files they count towards five. You filed out, my man.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that. But it's so Gorgy, we got about it. Yes, it's it's adorable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then maybe one of my favorite it was one that I had heard from one of his teammates, because the class that came in in twenty twelve, I think it was, no, not twenty twelve, it was twenty ten. That was the class of Russ Smith, Gorgy Shang, and Elijah Justice and then Justin oh Justin something who didn't he Actually they found out about Gorge at Huntington PREV because they were recruiting Justin Coleman, who was a really big athletic guard, really highly regarded. He was a four he was a five star recruit in one of the thing by rivals, and he committed Louisville. And I don't know this for certain, but I've always believed that Rick took his commitment because he needed to, Like and Rix's never I don't think Rick's ever really cared about like like how fans are viewing things, but maybe just the optics of Caliperri just got hired at Kentucky and he already brought in John wall To, Marcus Cousins, Eric Bledze, so Daniel Orton, and then he reloaded the very next year with guys like Terrence Jones and Brandon night those guys deron Lamb. So Rick took Justin Coleman's commitment, and he was a really talented guy, but he didn't have any like committable offers from any of the big schools at the time because they all knew that academically he wasn't going to qualify. I think Rick took it knowing like, all right, we'll see what shakes out here, but there'll at least be some pub for me to get a five star recruit. And when doing that recruiting, when recruiting Coleman, they discovered Gorgie who played with Justin Coleman and Huntington Prep, and they recruited him, and Gorgiy helped bring a national championship here, which is, you know, obviously something that we will never forget, but that class. You know, you've got Gorge and Elijah Justice, who couldn't come from more opposite ends of the world. I don't just mean like geographically where they were born and raised, but we're talking about Pikeville, Kentucky, far eastern Kentucky. Elijah Justice the bullet his Patino called him. And then Gorgy Jang, who was still learning English, who had grew up in Senegal and had just become he had just come to the United States, like a year or two prior to arriving at Louisville, and they became good buddies. In fact, I don't know of this to be true, but I think I think during one of the holiday breaks, like Elijah took Gorgy back home to Pikeville to like go to Thanksgiving, and like just imagine Gorgy walking around Pikeville hanging out with I mean, you know, he's seven foot tall. So anyways, I don't know if it was a practice or if it was more of like a an open run. I really don't know the the the specifics as far as where it was other than it was on the basketball court at the practice facility. But Patino had to stop play because Elijah Justice was just getting to the rim and scoring, which you know, hard to envision that against you know, a lot. I mean, he was actually a better player. I think that people realized. But obviously, you know, you wouldn't expect him to be getting his work done at the rim, right, but he did, and Rick kind of stopped, I mean he kind of stopped the stop whatever they were doing, and blew up on gorge about like, you know, you got to be a REMP protector or whatever you're doing. Probably made some comments about how how the hell is this kid scoring on you, and and he just said, well, coach Bullet is my friend. And I just I mean, like, how wholesome is that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like that's just like that's the sweetest thing ever. He was. He had such an innocence to him. Yeah, and we just kind of saw him kind of we saw him grow up in a big way, and then of course along the way he became a really good player and helped bring us a national title. So I'm not sure if that's what this young man who committed the Louisville today is going to be able to do, but we'll see. Again. This is this edition of six eight. Big Man Mohammed Kamara is needed because you lost James Scott, so you needed to add a guy regardless, just to give you some depth. But also now you you have to have a little bit of an insurance policy, so to speak, when it comes to the Khalifa situation. But I don't know, I'm none of us have a clue what to expect from the NCAA really in most instances, But the more I just look at the overall situation, I don't understand how that could review his appeal and say that he can't play like. I don't know what their basis could be. But what scares me is the NS double A at times has just said yeah, you know, because just because that's it. And I thought we were a way past that whole you know, n S double A just because it seems as if they'd been powerless lately and for good reason. But now they're telling us a guy who you know. Not only would it be a big hit for Louisville's front court if Khalifa can't play, but I think he could be really good in a way that maybe you wouldn't expect a typical big to be good, because I mean, this guy, the best asset he has, and it's not even close to his game, is passing. I mean, he can shoot it a little bit. He's not terrible around the rim. That didn't show much at BYU, but at Charlotte he was really good. I mean he was the Conference USA Freshman of the Year at Charlotte. Don't know people remember that or not or even knew that. I bet Austin didn't know that did you. So, I mean, he can play, but what makes him just different is passing. I mean Dark Pope, who of course coached ali at Byu. I mean, he's on record as saying that when they when they realized what they had as far as a big that could pass it, that they started to kind of change a lot of the things that they were doing in the half court to take advantage of this guy's vision and the way he could. You know, he just was a phenomenal passer. So I really hope they get it figured out. But what makes this to me an open and shut case is that they're claiming his eligibility clock counts in a year that did not count for anybody that actually played. How can you have a season that's a freebie for everyone, including you know, guys who played the full season, but then claim that the year he didn't play because of a red shirt that counts towards him. That makes fundamentally zero sense at all. I don't mean it gets so worked up, but I mean it's stupid. It's really really stupid. So anyways, we'll see again, Timeline, who knows as far as when the NUAA will review the review the appeal and make the decision. But I do think and somebody brought this up last week, and it's a good point that with nowadays, players always hiring lawyers, and that's what Ali has done. He's He's and I say s thing different every time I say Ali, I think it's Ali. I believe Ali is use that's how it's spelled. All right, Yeah it's Ali. So I'm sorry forgetting his name wrong as many times as I had, but Ali Khalifa. But he's he's hired an attorney. And I just think that when you have an attorney, and it's not just your school's compliance department that's working with the NC double A an attorney. There's a lot of reasons you should have an attorney for certain things. But the attorney can keep pestering the NC DOUBLEA like, hey, will you please review my client situation, and that may speed it up to where we don't have to wait a terrible amount of time. But again, well we'll certainly see something else we talked about earlier. If you guys missed it as the devastation in the state of Kentucky, not just the state of Kentucky, it's across multiple states, but we now have nineteen people that have died due to the storms that hit southern con southeastern Kentucky. I believe is probably the better way to describe it. But Laurel County, London, that area, I mean, for those who don't know, it's about seventy five miles south of Lexington. And I mean the ages of the folks who have died. This is according to our news partners over at Wolky. This was an update that we had about about noon today that there were a total of seventeen killed. And again I think that numbers jumped up two since then. But ten women, seven men. Their ages range from twenty five to seventy six. And I mean, if you just look at the complete devastation that is that is in that that you know the footage. I mean, again, there's a lot of different pictures and video clips that show I guess, different levels of devastation, but I'm not sure I've ever really and maybe it's because I'm paying closer attention to it because it did take place here in our state. But I mean, I look at the neighbor this stretch of this neighborhood that is completely demolished, and I just I mean, the first thing that came to my mind is that if you were right there, there's no way you survived. And I don't know that. I mean, I have no way of knowing that, but like that, it just looks that awful. It's not just to where all, well, they lost their roof, half their house collapsed, their vehicle flipped over and now it's two yards over. I mean, all that stuff is scary and can still be insanely dangerous, but this area is completely demolished in a way that something only a storm like this could do, and it's just it's it's tragic. So at least one of the folks who died is is from the neighboring Somerset area, which is I guess Pulaski County. So yeah, to the number of nineteen, it's seventeen that were that were in Laurel County, and then the other two one was a woman in Pulaski County and the other is a woman who died in Russell County, which I guess is in that area. So there are a that have been in the hospital at the UK Hospital being treated for those injuries. It says that three of those remaining critical condition, but four have been upgraded to fair and three are now in good condition despite you know, being treated for the injuries. Yeah, the storms knocked out power for about one hundred and seventy thousand people across the state, and as a Saturday, there are more than seven hundred personnel on the ground helping to restore power. So, I mean, the storms were bad enough in the area here to where there are still people in our area that lost power. You know, my sister, she lives in Mount Washington, and she had a tree from her neighbor's house across the street that fell over and she couldn't get in her driveway. She was out of power. So again that's that's nothing compared to what others have gone through. But again, I mean, this was a kind of storm that even though where it was the most devastating, is still very far away from us. I mean, that's how crazy it is. I mean, I'm sure everybody felt that to an extent on Friday, just how bad it was. We got from dinner, and I mean, I didn't, you know, in watching the coverage on TV, it didn't seem as if we were specifically in a spot that was super super you know, vulnerable for something catastrophic to happen. But I mean it was it was whipping. I mean, what were you doing Friday night? I mean do you were you out of that? Okay, I believe me. I heard it. You know many people that lost power? No, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Surprised we didn't. I'm shocked so far. I'm not even going to pollute the air with it.
Speaker 2: Well, oh, if you're backing up, you don't want to put it out there. Well I have, I have.
Speaker 3: I've been fortunate enough to at our location we have not lost power through any of.
Speaker 2: The storms so far. Well, can I tell you something, Yeah, my wife and I just had this exact conversation to where we have been so lucky for a variety of reasons in life. But I mean when weather has happened and it's been bad as far as damage or power, which again, like you know, that's that's a that's a result you'll be fine with compared to some people who you know, lose their homes and some lose lives. But losing power can be dangerous in certain situations. But like do you have do you have underground power lines? Do you know?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I don't know, And you may not know, Like, honestly, I don't think I would. I don't think I would know or pay attention if my wife didn't tell me this. But every place we've lived has always had underground power lines. But that doesn't always mean that you're guaranteed to keep power, because where the power comes from for your underground lines usually comes from a place where it's not underground. Right, But we've just been really, really lucky. Like we'll have people that are a street over that will be without power for a day or two because of terrible storms, and we've just been lucky. And I told her, eventually it's gonna our luck's gonna run out. But I know, I know now why you said, I'm not even gonna put it out there, Cause you know, there's a lot of things in life we've just become used to having so much so that like it's impossible to not take it for granted until you lose it. Electricity is certainly one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I feel like this last storm was probably worse than the one that we had probably like a month or so.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we had all the floods. Absolutely that was that was.
Speaker 3: Where like all the sirens were going off and going crazy. But I didn't I didn't hear any of this past Friday.
Speaker 2: I heard.
Speaker 3: The worst that we had happened to us was like the trash cans were everyone's trash cans were like blown in the street basically and kind of traveled like half a block down.
Speaker 2: We had the I guess again, we were lucky. The scariest thing that's happened to us was and this was last year, I believe, maybe last spring, maybe roughly around a year ago, and we weren't really paying attention to the local news that Sunday afternoon. It was like around noon, maybe one o'clock. We were just hanging out in the house doing laundry that kind of stuff. The kids were playing in the rooms, and we could feel wind like we could like it was something you noticed just by, you know, the noise. And we then turned on the local news and they did go into like telling you hate big time thunderstorms. Nobody said anything but a tornado, I don't believe. And it wasn't anything crazy as far as you know, like I don't, it probably isn't. Isn't a memorable storm compared to some others that have been devastating. But we just happened to look outside at the perfect time because we realized, man, this wind is getting crazy. And our trampoline at the time wasn't bolted down, and it the way it lifted up like it weighed less than a pound and just floated through and it got jammed between so our neighbor's house. They've got a fence that I guess, you know, cuts off halfway between where the property you know, their property line ends and our starts, and our trampoline just got completely lodged within the side of our house and their fence. And I mean it's one of those things where had had there been a little bit more space, it could have flown all throughout our neighborhood ended up damn it, it could have killed somebody. I mean. So now we learned to both are trampoline down to where that kind of stuff won't happen. So yeah, all right, let's get to it break, We'll keep this rolled along. It's coffee and Company, and we are fuel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right coffee and company rolling along here on a Monday afternoon. Make sure, fellas if you're looking to be happier, healthier, maybe you've noticed in recent years that you've lost your edge a little bit, not getting the same benefits from your workout. Maybe maybe you've lost sex drive, things like that. Maybe you've been kind of putting off addressing that you that you know you might be dealing with the rectiltis function. Those kind of things happen, and I'm telling you where you need to turn to if it does happen, and that's my friends over at the Louisville Men's Clinic. You can check them out online at Louisvillmen's Clinic dot com give them a call five vo two four four four four thousand. And there's a lot of services they provide. They can help you be happier and healthier. LOTSI ed, they've got weight loss therapy. So again they're they're well aware, they're professionals. They've been doing this for over ten years, over fifty thousand happy satisfied clients. I mean that speaks to the success. And they understand that these are certain some of these things are probably not the most comfortable for you to bring up an address, even internally with yourself. So talking about it to a stranger could be a little bit intimidating. It could be one of the reasons maybe you've put it off. But I'm telling you, they'll make it a very comfortable and smooth situation for you. You'll be happy, especially, you know, if you know, why not do something about it again. Louisllman's clinic dot com favo to four four thousand. So one of the things that has been a constant talking point, seemingly over the years is the amount of money that each league brings in further members in college sports. And it's one of those things that it doesn't really impact fans in any way. It's not your money. But I think we know that when it comes to the health of your program, having the resources needed to be as good as possible to be competitive at the top, you need money to do that, right to go pay coaches big salaries, to give them extensions. Now you need money from nil that's not necessarily money that comes from your TV rights deal. But at times I wonder why it's such a big talking point, and then I realize, well, because if you're a program that's not in the SEC, the Big Ten, the ACC or the Big twelve. You're not bringing in near the money that those programs are in those conferences, and the chances of you having long term sustainable success is just unlikely. So it's not our money then go in our pockets, but you're program having deep pockets and getting those big annual checks that come from these TV rights deals. It is important. So today has I guess pulled up the tax records that show the amount of money that came in for the Power conferences in twenty twenty four and I don't know if this is going to be a surprise, but the Big ten brought in more money and it really really wasn't close. So for total revenue at the final at the ending of the twenty twenty four year, the Big Ten, and again this is this is the total for the for the conference, not what each team got, but the conference as a whole, nine hundred and twenty eight point one million for the Big Ten, the SEC eight hundred and thirty nine point seven million. There's big gaps here, by the way, I mean, that's a substantial gap between the Big Ten and the SEC. I do think moving forward that will even out a little bit. And I think the SEC's current deal, as far as the terms and the amount of years on the deal, the SEC will probably end up having more money before too long than than anybody. But the ACC came in third with seven hundred and eleven point four million that they shared among their members, the PAC twelve five hundred and sixty six point six million, and then the Big twelve four hundred ninety three point eight million. So again despite the PAC twelve no longer existing, which I guess it kind of does, doesn't it. I mean, it's they're still running like the league. They added leftovers from the Mountain West. I suppose some schools decided to stay in the Mountain West. So what we really have here is a power for and the Mountain West is just now the leftovers Oregon State, Washington State, and then some of the schools that decided to leave the Mountain West. And I think they might have taken some schools from maybe a different league as well. But what we talked about last week, this was something that got brought up, I believe on on Friday show. I get the days mixed up, but the schools that are worried about being so far behind the SEC, and the big ten in the schools that you know filed lawsuits against the ACC because they want out of their granted brights deal because they just they know the way the deal is currently locked in, they're going to fall further behind. So what the ACC did here is the right thing, because one, this ends the lawsuits, which is just a bad look for everybody that you got two real valuable members of your league suing the conference, and the conference, by the way, having to use money to fight its own members, which we'll get to that in a moment. But nonetheless, the way in which they've set it up to where now if you are successful and you bring in a lot of viewership and you are one of the big factors in the strong viewership the ACC has, you will be compensated for that. So the new revenue sharing model, the ACC is going to distribute forty percent of its TV deal evenly among all the members of the league that are not expansion members, so think everybody outside of SMU CAL and Stanford. The other sixty percent is going to be distributed based on ratings from basketball and football games, with the football viewership carrying more weight in the overall calculations. So the ACC is locked in until twenty thirty six, but the annual amount of money that you've been getting will now be much more if you are a program that can bring viewership to the league. And that's this, I think is the best course of action to kind of, I guess, stop the infighting between the league members and really it's just it's two schools and then the ACC. But what I did not know that I think is is kind of, you know, a bad look is that the money that the ACC had to use to fight the lawsuits in court against Clemson and Florida State like that took money away from the league. And I don't really know what's the league supposed to do where they supposed to get that money from. But luckily those lawsuits are now over And by the way, the total share for twenty twenty four, this is according to David Teel, who covers the ACC has done it for a long time. Louisville was at forty six point four million, which I'm trying to find out where that ranks among other members. But just for reference, forty six point four you were ahead of wake Forest, who was at forty three forty three million, even Virginia was forty four point seven, forty three point nine for Virginia Tech. So again, with all the moving and shaken that's taken place, the musical chairs that has taken place in college sports with the conference ree alignment. As much as I complain about the ACC at times just simply not being as good as I thought it would be, and I don't think that's a strong take. I mean, the ACC in basketball has substantially dropped off in recent years. The league confirmed that with their decision to eliminate two games from the conference schedule, and then in football. I don't think the football gap is as big as as it's portrayed by some. But I can also say, yeah, the AC at best is the third best conference, and it'll probably be that for a while, because you know, the Big Ten was already a good league, got better, added Oregon and Washington and USC and Cal. The SEC was already really good. They added Texas in Oklahoma. So being third is not a bad place to be realistically, And you can still be third but also have maybe five teams that everybody views as a legitimately top tier college football programs, and I think you being able to bring in more money than you used to be able to bring in because you are one of the big dogs of the league. That makes it to where you can sustain that success. So not to nerd out on numbers too much, but that kind of stuff. You know, I get why some fans wouldn't care or really follow it or have much interest, but it is important to the overall health of your athletics program. And as much as the lawsuits from Clemson and Florida State were annoying, especially the Florida State side, where they just felt so entitled and they really didn't have near the accomplishments to speak of that they thought, and again it was annoying. However, the best case scenario for the ACC survival is to retain those two schools. I mean, it just is now. They got to get better, we all know that. But yeah, the ACC, I'll put it this way. The ACC right now, I think is in a better spot than it's been in the last couple of years as far as just the future. Because right now, even though some are probably lying about being happy and being content with this new change with the revenue sharing, at least, you know, I guess the best thing you could say right now is for better or worse, we're all locked in together. We can't go anywhere, so we might as well just try to make the best of the situation. And making the best of the situation is just competing and getting better. And I do think the league took a step in the right direction last year as far as being a better conference, but how much I don't really know. And maybe for the first time ever we can say that the ACC was innovative because I think making this adjustment to where the schools that now are gonna make more money are the ones who in fact bring the most value by bringing more eyeballs to the product that is ACC football and basketball, they're gonna be able to make more money. And I just think maybe I'll be wrong here, but if you look at the Big Ten, the SEC, even the Big twelve, everybody for the most part is locked in at the same share equal shares. Now, it's probably not like that. Initially I would imagine that Texas and Oklahoma maybe they had to wait a certain amount of time before they get full equal shares. Same thing for Oregon, Cal and Cow But Oregon, Washington, USC and UCLA. If those schools. Maybe there was a timeline of when they would get an equal share, but whatever it is, I think with money certainly still be I mean, look the ACC, the SEC, the Big Ten, all these power conferences. I mean, they're still bringing in a big amount of money. But the recent ruling that I guess still isn't final as far as the revenue share, where these schools are going to have to share twenty one or twenty two million dollars something like that with the student athletes. You know that money's come. That money. You now have a twenty plus million dollar bill annually that you didn't used to have. So I think there's going to constantly be ways that these schools are trying to figure out where they can save money, where they can bring in more money. I don't want to present it as if they're going broken. They got to really cut expenses, but again, I think a twenty million dollar bill that you have to pay every year is a big expense for anybody, regardless of your financial situation. So it would not shock me if those in the in the SEC and those in the Big Ten start to say, hey, why is Rutgers getting the same amount of money as us we're Ohio State. Why is Georgia cool with Vay in Kentucky getting the same exact share that they get? So I don't really know what what kind of legal fight they have as far as being able to claim that, because again, what happened. The ACC just decided to cave and and do this and just tell probably Boston College and and wake Forest and those that don't bring a lot of viewership like, hey, sorry, but this is the way it is. If you don't like it, you can leave. And I doubt it ever got to that point. But if those like if wake Forest or Boston College or who else? Who else is just like doormat ACC, I feel like I'm blanking on one of them. But either way, like if they had to leave, where would they go? Whatever we're attack, Yes, Georgia Tech's a good one, but also they're they're weird. But yes, I think they still fall in line and they fall in that same, that same tier. But if they were to, you know, they were upset that they're now getting an equal share to Clemson or Florida State or Loislle for that matter, and they wanted to take their and go home. Where would they go? That would put them in a better situation than being a less than in a Power four league. I mean, that's the better situation regardless of it. So it's really just about survival at this point. So anyways, let's get too a quick break. We'll come back on the other shide. Wrap up the four o'clock hour. It is Coffee and Company, and we are fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, we were wrapping up the four o'clock hour here on Sports Talk seven ninety. It is Coffee and Company, Nick Coffee and Austin Montgomery taking you up until six o'clock. So with this being the ninth show for me and then it's all she wrote for Coffee and Company. For those who know, I'm moving to has starting June second, I'll be taking over as the host of Kentucky and His Morning News with Tony Cruz retiring. And cannot express how grateful I am for the opportunity and for those that have said very very nice things and you know, wished me well and congratulated me. I appreciate that more than I'll ever be able to, uh to to let you know. And I'm also not surprised that there may be something that's like they're gonna put this guy over there on has I mean who you know? Like I can, I can just envision the who let who let this happen? And that's okay. You know, that's what excites me and motivates me about this opportunity, knowing that it will be different, it'll be a challenge, uh, but you know that's what's gotten me as excited as I've been in a long, long long time in uh, in my career. So just letting you know, if you weren't aware, let's make the most of these, uh these these final shows that we have left because next Friday it'll be it'll be a wrap. And again, as far as what happens after, not not something I have any involvement in. But I will certainly share my thoughts and I'll also be able to share whatever they allow me. Don't know what that's gonna be, but I'm not surprised that many have asked sort of what becomes of this? But I don't know, that's the honest answer. And will I be able to share anything. I also don't know, but when I I can, if I can, I will, I'll pass along anything that I'm allowed to share. But this is a really nice text that comes in from somebody on the text line. By the way, if you want to text in, you can BABO two four three eight ninety seventy three is of the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. This person said some nice things, and I don't need to read all that because you know, I'm sure you don't want to hear it'd be very, very self deprecating for me to just read only nice things that are said. In fact, it's better radio when I read insults that I get on the air, which that happens from time to time as well. But the question is essentially, what was my favorite like moment with with seven ninety And I don't know, and I hate to, you know, answer that so directly as if, but I've thought about that, you know a lot of There's been a lot on my mind in the last gosh, really a long time, not just the last few weeks. But this is this has been a long process and it's been on my radar as something that could potentially happen for well over a year. So I've done a lot of a lot of thinking about you know, a lot of things when it comes to just my career and whatnot. But there really is not one specific moment within this show. And again, all the shows have kind of been the same in a way. And I don't mean that each show in the midday spot of noon to three in the mornings and then now like clearly there's a different element to being morning Drive, midday and afternoon Drive. But as far as what you get from me, it maybe it hasn't always been the same. I'm sure you know it's changed over the years, but throughout the three different time slots and the non plush years, I really I've tried, I've tried my best to think of one specific moment that was like, Wow, that was that was special? Can you believe it? And I think one of the reasons that's helped me kind of you know, live in the moment and really be in disbelief that it's actually been a non plush year thing for me is a good thing because I never felt like totally not necessarily fulfilled, but I never felt like, Okay, well it doesn't get any better than that, So maybe now just become complacent that I mail it in. You know, I've just this is the longest thing I've done in my life outside of I guess a what a thirteen year stint in the public school system and a fourteen year marriage to my lovely wife, and then non plus years here. I mean, I've worked at this company longer than I work for any other company. As I talked about on Friday, there's really nothing in I mean there's I don't care how old you end up living. Hopefully we all live to a very old age and have a great life. But ten years doing anything is a long stretch of time for anybody, I would say, And that's what I've been able to do, but also not really being able to truly believe that it's been this long. Has has I think been a good thing to where I did live in the moment. I never took it for granted, and I think that's the way that it should be. But I would say what I what was the most enjoyable for me that I feel like was also a good thing for the show is that, without realizing it, it kind of played out for me that taking the show on road trips, right traveling for different reasons, and then doing a live show from a hotel in a different town, doing a live show. I did a live show in twenty seventeen at the cafeteria at the Barclay Center in Brooklyn because that was the only place I could get set up and that was like, that wasn't something that I'd planned on doing, but you know, it was kind of like a journey and I shared the experience and I learned that people really do kind of, you know, gravitate towards that, like it's almost like they're not with me on the road trip, but there's stories that come with it that, you know, at times my life has felt like a Sondfeld episode, and sometimes I'm able to share that those kind of stories and experiences with you and to hear that people remember that and they, you know, look at it as something that they enjoyed. Hearing about that makes me, you know makes me, i guess more than anything, feel like I'm going to feel like I'm a more interesting person than I'd realized. So yeah, I've got some planned for next week as far as just kind of not a timeline, but just to look back on some fonn thing and uh, next week will be different than this week just because I'm I mean, I hate to say it, but I'm gonna I'm gonna really make it, make it really feel like, you know, I'm going out with a bang. Not like I've got any crazy special guests or anything like that, but just I'm gonna soak it all in and we'll continue to talk about what needs to be talked about when it comes to sports around here, because this is what we do. We always will. But they'll also be a layer to it, that is, you'll know this is this is it. It's the last ride. We shouldn't call it that, right because these people are That's like, that's when I think of the last ride. I've always I just think of the Jordan Bulls documentary now like it used to be a saying you got one last ride, which I guess it still as a saying, but I just often, I just all all the time think of the Bulls whenever I think of that. All right, let's get to a top of the hour break. We've got the five o'clock cour coming your way. A lot more to get into, including Scotti Scheffler's win at the PGA Championship. The more success Scotty Scheffler has it's probably a bad thing for LMPD as far as the you know that story never dying, So we can get into that at Also, Drew Brees gassing up our boy Tyler Shuck as well as Jeff Brohm this weekend, and he can keep saying there's going to be a quarterback competition. I mean, Tyler Chef's gonna be the starting quarterback for the Saints this year. And also there's an updated list of the most wins in college basketball since twenty twenty. So in the twenty twenties, who's won the most games. I think some of these programs that are on here will surprise you, but there is a common component with all of them that I want to get to. So stick around. We got at the five o'clock hour coming up next right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety