Speaker 1: Treasury Secretary Scott Descent today announcing a quote economic d Day against Iran and any of the countries that provide financial support to that country. Lest you weren't paying attention, we've been in the midst of a many months long illegal and unconstitutional war with Iran, So check this out.
Speaker 2: The US will.
Speaker 1: Impose punishing sanctions on countries and entities that do business with Iran, and it's aimed to ratchet up pressure on the Iranium regime amid the current no war, no deal limbo. This is what stuck with me when I saw this reporting from Axios. The Trump administration will also have to aggressively confront countries like China, Russia, India, Pakistan, Cutter, Turkey and others that still trade with Iran, something it hasn't done so far. You really think convicted fellon Donald Trump is going to start lowering the boom on China?
Speaker 2: You think he's going to do it with Russia?
Speaker 1: I mean, Cutter, the people that gave him his four hundred million dollar bribe of a luxury jet. Do you think he's going to lower the boom on those countries?
Speaker 2: What acroc of shits.
Speaker 1: But what I do know is We have eighteen active service members who have died died while doing their duty in this illegal war. We also have more than one hundred billion dollars in counting that's been wasted in this illegal war. And we have a whole slew offfeckless, ballless Republicans that have done nothing about this illegal war.
Speaker 2: So, in light of everything that has.
Speaker 1: Been going on, including this recent spate of threats to have economic sanctions, which by the way, have already existed against Iran, I thought it was important for us to get caught up with Congressman Jason Crowe from Colorado.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: He's on Armed Services, he's on Intel, he's a Bronze Star recipient, he did three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. I mean, somebody who would know the region and would understand the issues that are at play here. We have a very detailed conversation about what's going on, but then we also talk about why it's so critically important to get rid of the Republicans. Get rid of the Republicans because they're not doing anything, they're a waste of space, and to get Democrats elected this coming November.
Speaker 2: Take a listen.
Speaker 1: Joining me now is Congressman Jason Crowe, representing Colorado's six Congressman, thank you so.
Speaker 2: Much for joining me.
Speaker 1: Especially first of all, one, thank you for your service. It goes without saying that you truly understand what it takes to be able to serve as a patriot for this country. Your role on armed services and intel is incredibly important for this next question I have for you, which is thank you. Always listen. You're always welcome to come here. There's always a lot going on. I just kind of wanted to start with the top line, which is, look, the USS Lincoln finally able to come home back to San Diego after one of the most outrageous deployments that we've seen. We've covered it extensively here at Katie Fang News, but listen, as somebody who understands this sacrifice, just wanted to just get your top line thoughts about what it took to be able to get these people home.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, you know, we're still trying to get information, Katie from the administration. It's been a huge stone walling the last year and a half from this administration. No information, no briefings. There very few briefings, I should say very few hearings in the amount of information and briefings and hearings and information responses that we normally get from an administration has fallen off a cliff. Right. This comes in tandem with them kicking out journalists from the Pentagon, like they clearly don't want people to know what they're doing, what they're not doing, and they have cut off information flow, which you know, as a policymaker, makes it very hard to understand what is happening and what is not. So that's the first piece. The second is, you know, the larger Iran conflict, which is something that Americans just don't want, right eighty plus percent of Americans think it's a bad idea, and that's actually a bipartisan thing. It's one of the most bipartisan things in America right now. That people want us to be out of conflict in the Middle.
Speaker 2: East or done with it.
Speaker 3: They're done spending trillions, literally trillions of dollars in thousands of American lives and endless conflict in the Middle East. And then with regard to Lincoln, two things going on here. One is the expenditure of money, the vast amounts of money it takes to have things like aircraft carrier battle groups, because it's not just the carrier. By the way, when you send an aircraft carrier, there are actually dozens of ships in support network resources that go into that. We're talking billions of dollars here, So there's the expense of resources in money and taking things out of the Indo Pacific, Like there is zero aircraft carriers right now in the Pacific to counteract China because they've shifted them all to this conflict. And then the strain on our soldiers. And the last thing I'll say here is there's a difference between what our military is asked to do and making sacrifices and doing tough things. You know, I was a ranger, I was a paratrooper. I went to Rackt in Afghanistan. We are trained to do tough things, and our service members will welcome the opportunity to do tough things because that's why we got into service to begin with.
Speaker 1: YEP.
Speaker 3: That's different from incompetence and corruption and lack of preparedness and a lack of a mission that leads to unnecessary suffering, which is what we're dealing with here right now. That's a huge difference because this administration is said, Oh, they need to stop complaining. This is what the military does. No, this is not what the military does unnecessarily suffer. We do tough things if we need to.
Speaker 1: Well, and let me be Claire, I don't need pete Hegseth offering his criticis and let alone bone spurs Trump sending there trying to criticize what our men and women and sons and daughters are doing.
Speaker 2: Look, fundamentally, we have at least eighteen.
Speaker 1: Act As service members' lives that have been lost as a result of this illegal war. You know, I have to ask you, Congressman, because oversights really important. Armed services Intel both have incredibly important roles and getting to the bottom of what the hell is going on here? I mean, you talk about us having exposed flanks, right, because now we have other conflicts or other potential issues that could arise, and we're rediverting all these resources and attention to be able to deal with this illegal war. What are your Republican counterparts telling you though about this? Because we're clocking more than what seven months now on this six months of this war, and I just feel like we now hear there's an economic d Day coming against Iran. But does that mean that we are Our might didn't work, so now we're trying to go to the dollar pain. I mean we're already feeling the pain already as Americans financially.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, this economic D Day. Let me started with the last thing and then we're bad. It is economic day. It's just insane, like we according to Donald Trump, we've won this war over eleven times. We've crushed her around six or seven times already. H you know the next thing is going to be the thing, right, We're going to crush them now this new strategy, we've taken over the straits of horror moves. We now own it. It's now US territory. It's an economic D Day. I mean, all of this is bs right. The administration has lost all credibility because they keep on talking about things being the biggest, the boldest, the most beautiful, the greatest ever seen. And we know better. America knows better. But we know that this is not a winning war. We see it, the world sees it. And what is stunning. I mean there's a lot of stunning things it's happening here, but one of them is I talk a lot with our allies with foreign leaders, with Warren military, they've actually stopped paying attention like they they've stopped caring, like they're just like, Okay, well, we're just going to go do our own thing, and we're going to move forward without America. And because nothing they say, they say or do holds any credibility, and if they say they're going to do something, they're going to change our mind in twenty four or forty eight hours later. So we're just going to go into a post American world. And that is not good for us. It doesn't serve our interests. They won't serve the American people. For the world to move on without us, it won't make us safer. It's actually make us a lot less safe. It's going to lead to less economic prosperity, and we're going to be marginalized in the eyes of the world. And that is the legacy that Donald Trump is building right now, and that is our work to try to stop that and to turn that around and to build something new. Look.
Speaker 1: France and Saudi Arabia needing today to be able to try to figure out their own way of trying to navigate this straight of her moves issue. Iran and Oman trying to deal with the straight of her moves clearly.
Speaker 2: And I'm including the United States and any of this.
Speaker 1: I want to actually say, this is a quote from Around's president just within the last few hours. He said Trump has thrust the United States into a full scale economic, military, and security war.
Speaker 2: I mean, not a fan, but of a rants president. But he speaks the truth, does he not.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're at this stage also where we not only can't we can't trust our own leadership in DC, not only from our Secretary of Defense, but from our commander in chief. We also don't have the right treatment of again the people that are doing one of the most incredible sacrifices they can do by serving in our armed forces. And then at the same time, you have Trump sitting there closing up to Kim Jong un in North Korea, who then launches ten ballistic missiles just a few days ago, and in curbing or limiting the joint military operations or practices and drills that we do with our South Korean You know, friends, is this is upside down world now?
Speaker 2: I think for the United.
Speaker 3: States, Yeah, absolutely, I mean, let's chalk up the list here of the things this administration has done just as a initial matter, right that we're not going to go into a comprehensive list because that would take us hours. But we are engaged now in a conflict in Iran, and we don't know how we're going to pull out of it. The Iranians now know how to control the strait of horror moves and how to use it as leverage geopolitically in a way that they didn't before. A more hard line leader than before, and more extreme leader is now in charge of Iran. Right, I was no fan of Iotola Komene, but a son by every measure, even by the admission of this administration, is a more hard line leader. The resistance, the opposition in Iran, which by the way, in January and February, this regime was up against the ropes, right, there were protests in the streets and they were pushing back on the Iranian regime. It was the closest this regime was coming to collapse in over fifteen years, and that's now all gone and dissipated. We have depleted our own munitions in stockpiles, spent one hundred billion dollars, pushed our allies away and that's just Iran, right. We've now marginalized ourselves and we're pushing South Korea away and emboldening North Korea. Our NATO allies can't trust us and are trying to figure out how to move forward without us. And Donald Trump is meanwhile sitting here trying to figure out how to rename ships after himself, how to create a battleship because he thinks they're big and cool, not to you know, let's not let's not even talk about the fact that nobody wants battleships because they're easy to destroy, an extremely expensive. It is. It is again incomprehensible, the damage that he is doing the national security and the silence, the silence and complicity of so many of my Republican colleagues. And I don't say that, I don't relish that, actually because I want bipartisanship. We need bipartisanship on this issue, not just to say we have it, but because it's the only way to build large and during policies that will serve the American people. And it is it is fading away.
Speaker 1: Okay, bit listen, I agree that my partisanship makes sense when you actually have where or not in the upside down world as I talked about, right because here, because here's the fundamental reality. You launched with some of your colleagues, Democratic colleagues, the End Corruption Caucus, because look, all of us deals with corruption.
Speaker 2: This is all corruption.
Speaker 1: This is you know, industrial military complex making more money off of us. This is Trump doing a stupid car race, Indy car race in the middle of DC.
Speaker 2: That's not making stuff cheaper for us.
Speaker 1: This is US spending one hundred billion dollars plus on this war, not to mention the fact to your point, you know, all of this, and then the beef drama that we're having.
Speaker 2: I mean, it just goes on and on.
Speaker 1: And yet what Republicans are trying to work with you on the End Corruption Caucus, What Republicans are trying to work with you on the end Dark.
Speaker 2: Money Act that you introduce.
Speaker 1: It's like, I don't really see them clamor to come work with you to be able to do any of this.
Speaker 3: No, they're not, they're not, you know, And I that's why right now, my main priority is just to beat them all at the ballot bucks. Yes, they have had a chance, they have had so many chances to do the right thing. And then there have been so many off ramps, you know, January sixth, the pandemic, so many off ramps in my time in Congress, and they have given up on it. So all right, where are we now? We need to beat them, We need to send them home. The only way to break the fever that has gripped this Republican Party, that has destroyed this Republican park, because it doesn't even exist anymore, even a party, right, it's just the it's just the mega movement and controlled by Donald Trump. It's not an ideological party. Is we have to we have to beat as many as possible, break the fever that's gripping them, and bring new people in. Right, And that's that's what I believe now, and I don't again relish saying that. But you know, let's harken back to February when actually November and then February when I filmed a video with several of my fellow veterans, including Mark Kelly, Yes, where we said that our military has an obligation to disobey unlawful orders. There's nothing sensational about that, right, that's military one oh one, that's the u CMJ. We're simply restating what military law states and what every service member knows. The President threatened to have us executed and then tried for treason in that order, by the way, he even messes up.
Speaker 2: That would be a little messy, yep, yep.
Speaker 3: And then in February he directs the DOJ to attempt to indict us, so several times it's the grand jury. So here you have us. They're trying to send me to prison for stating something basic about our military. Guess how many of my fellow veterans and Republicans reached out to me during that time?
Speaker 2: How many? How many? I mean, this is this is my bunny's.
Speaker 3: So what am I to do? Right? Where do I go with that? Right? If when when they're literally trying to put me in prison for standing up and speaking out and the people that I've legislated and worked with can't even pick up the film be like, hey, are you okay? Is your family all right? I know you're getting death threats, I know that they're cert What am I to do? And the answer is very simple, fight my ass off, Yeah, punch back as hard as I possibly can and try to win. And that is my priority. That's why I took the job as the co chair of the battle Ground. I'm managing the battleground for House Democrats right now to win as many seats as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is perfect segue.
Speaker 1: Congressman, I'm so glad that you said this, because I really this is kind of also some of the meat on the bone I wanted to talk to you about. So you come from a working class family and you're the first in your family to go to college three tours, ron Star.
Speaker 2: I mean, you understand what.
Speaker 1: It's like to to You really understand the word affordability. It's been used a lot lately, right, Affordability is used a lot, but you really have an understanding. And I spend a lot of time here at this channel talking to candidates and talking to people about how important is that your lived experience informs who you are and as a candidate, what you're going to be able to bring to DC. You also are helping on the flip red to blue right the D Triple C, and that's a really important thing. We had a great conversation with Congressman Underwood about this. You just announced or the D Triple C excuse me, just announced that they added five new candidates to this cycle. So the red to blue candidates now are thirty seven. And you know, Congressman, what I noted about these five new candidates is something I'm sure you noted, which is there's a retired Army brigadier general. There's a former officer in Navy JAG. There is a thirty five year veteran from the Navy helicopter pilot, three star, amiable chief of the Navy Reserve, Nancy LeCour I mean, you.
Speaker 3: Go, by the way, Nancy was uh was fired by Pete heigsays she she was one of the admirals who was purged by Pete hegsaf because he didn't meet the loyalty and ideological litmus tests of this administration.
Speaker 1: And she also happened to be a woman too, by the way, which is I think a big, big problem for Pete. Exactly. Yeah. So but listen, it doesn't escape my notice that these are there are a lot of veterans here right that are a part of this flip red to blue. So I guess my question for you is this, Congressman, you you there's there's you that stands for I think kind of this big wave lately of super kind of assault of the earth. People that don't have like a background in politics, right, that that go because they believe in being the change.
Speaker 2: You don't take corporate money.
Speaker 1: You're coming salt of the earth, like I said, someone who wants to come and really make a difference in DC.
Speaker 2: And fight for the people.
Speaker 1: And then how does how does it work the way that you're looking at some of these people that are the red to blues, because I feel like they're also fitting that mold. A lot of these people are not career politicians. They're not people that woke up and they're like, you know what, I want to run for office. I think a lot of what we're seeing from these Democratic candidates, and because they are so competitive is because they look like you and me, right, They look like just people that care enough that give a shit about what happens to their fellow Americans in all ways, and that's the reason why they want to come over and be in Congress.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, you're you're totally right. And so I have two I have two side hustles, as I joke and they say, but they're really not really sid hustles. An unbelievable amount of my time and energy right now. And that is one is building a new progressive vision for foreign policy and national security.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: Well, one thing that's really important is that we don't say we're going to go back and when everyone says we're going to rebuild post something, yeah, we're not. We're not rebuilding anything. Right. People don't want to go back. Right. Donald Trump is elected president because people were fed up with the system that wasn't serving them, that they viewed as hypocritical. And Donald Trump even camp pained on a lot of these things. See, he actually campaigned on like government refum, he campaigned on ending the endless wars in the Middle East. He's obviously turned us back on all of those, but he knew where the public sentiment was. So we're going to build something new. It's going to be a progressive vision for national security that is going to acknowledge that we have fallen short, that we have failed in a lot of ways. That's number one. Number two is helping the Democratic Party re enter vast swaths of our country. Right. And you mentioned I'm a working class guy. I was raised in a very conservative, you know, Irish Catholic construction family in the Midwest. And what I know is that it has taken us twenty years to dig ourselves into this hole in working class rural America. Right, in twenty twenty four and fall of twenty four, we lost ninety percent of US counties.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: That is not a major already, that is not a coalition, right, And that didn't happen in one cycle. That happened over twenty years. There's a lot of reasons for that, but we have to understand those reasons and we have to do the honest accounting as Democrats where we have fallen short. I don't blame Donald Trump forgetting elected president. Actually I blame the Democrats for allowing him to get elected president twice. Right, the second time. How did we lose to this guy? It's insane, It's crazy. Why we lost to this guy? That's on us, right, So we have to acknowledge that we have to take responsibility for it, and we have to actually go back to these communities that we haven't showed up in in years. Actually, there are communities in this country that were now that I've now recruited and mentoring candidates and some of its you just mentioned, and those communities haven't heard from Democrats in six eight years. Right, how do you expect people to know what we stand for if we don't even show up in our case? Right, It's crazy. So we're doing it. We're being aggressive, We're going into deep territory. We're not leaving any stone unturned. We're going to make our case to everybody everywhere. And I am wildly passionate about that. And we have amazing candidates who are going to do it.
Speaker 2: I mean it sounds like it to me.
Speaker 1: And listen, I spend a lot of time looking at these candidates, and I spend a lot of time figuring out who I want to amplify and help because I do believe that we can't go in reverse. There's really nothing to redo. We have to figure out what was wrong and just make it right. I mean, you can't really rejigger it some way, right, It's got to be done clean, and part of that is bringing in the right people and the right energy. Congressman Jason Crow, anytime you want to come back, you are welcome to come here to Katie fang News. I loved hanging out with you, and again I started this out and the thank you sir for your service. It is not easy, as you know, and we are watching carefully because we are you know, we're asking a lot of our am Maya Can people right now domestically and internationally, and I feel like we got to take care of them. And you're definitely making that top of mind for the party and for yourself.
Speaker 2: So I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you well. Thanks for being the voice that you are a very important one right now, and thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Katie Fang.
Speaker 1: Here, we launched the Katifang News Channel in partnership with the Midas Touch Network so we could bring you the latest and legal and political news straight no chaser. So if you're a fellow truthteller, hit that subscribe button and share the word about this channel so we can build a high information America together.
Speaker 2: Some breaking news.
Speaker 1: That we are waking up to this morning on Monday, August twenty fourth, concerning that mega merger between Paramount's Guidance and Warner Brothers Discovery Now. Today was supposed to be a meeting to discuss possible settlement as a result of the powerful lawsuit that was brought by California Attorney General Rob Bonta and other state attorneys general to block this merger. This lawsuit was filed in July. It put that merger on hold. As we know, a federal judge has actually sent a trial to take place in March of twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: This is a one hundred and eleven billion.
Speaker 1: Dollar merger, and the reason why people are so up in arms about it is understandable. As the Attorney's General assert in their lawsuit, the merger between Paramount and Warner Brothers would put two major movie studios, multiple streaming services, and CNN and CBS News under one roof, and it would be controlled by the Ellisons. Specifically, at this point, David Ellison, who is one of the billionaire buddies of convicted, fellon Donald Trump and look, I don't have to tell you. We've already seen what has happened at CBS News when Ellison installed Bari Weiss to be the head of that place. We've seen what happened to sixty minutes. We've seen what's happened to CBS Evening News. I mean, it's not pretty. And so there is a very understandable concern about this being anti competition, this huge mega merger that would happen. So because of this lawsuit, a couple of things. One, Attorney General Rob Bonta and other stakeholders were supposed to sit down today with Ellison and other stakeholders from Paramount to see if they could hammer out a deal now as of Friday. Now I'm going to read this to you because this is reporting as of Friday. As of Friday, Attorney General Bonta said this, this was Friday night. Generally, for all of my cases, I prefer to resolve disputes in the boardroom, not the courtroom. As I've also said, if the opposing party in litigation wants to meet in good faith to make a sincere effort to resolve the case, will meet. And as I have further said, any potential discussions about the Paramount Warner Brothers merger will be unproductive absent robust structural remedies on the table that address our concerns. The proposed Warner Brothers Paramount merger, according to Attorney General Rob Bonta, will mean higher costs, less competition, lower wages, job cuts, and fewer movies and TV shows. This merger violates long standing federal antitrust law, and we are committed to enforcing the law. Now it's twelve state attorneys general who have sued. There's an independent lawsuit that was brought by the WGA, the Writer's Guild of America. That lawsuit has been consolidated for purposes of being tried together in March of twenty twenty seven, and the federal judge in that case stating, I'm not going to have an earlier trial date at this point. That's when you guys are going to go to trial. Now, in the federal rules of civil procedure, you are required in the course of litigation to sit down and go to a mediation. Now, this was going to be a separate thing, the meeting that was supposed to happen today until Bonta canceled it as a result of bad faith conduct on the part of Paramount. That was going to be a kind of good faith or supposed to be good faith effort for them to see if they could work something out, or at least start to hammer out the beginning of a framework to be able to work something out. But the federal rules of civil procedure will require both sides to sit down and meet no matter what, for purposes of a court ordered mediation. And let's talk about that for a second, a magistrate judge would be sitting down at some point to be able to try to negotiate a sentiment on behalf of the parties. At a hearing last week, the presiding Federal Court Judge Adresselli Martinez Auguin said the parties had to identify two perspective people to serve for purposes of this now look, Paramount has been trying to fend off the continued blocking of this mega merger by making a promise that it would produce at least thirty films a year for the next three years and to keep them exclusively available for viewing in theaters for at least forty five days. But Rob Bonta has said historically that's very hard to enforce. So promises made, promises broken and never kept.
Speaker 2: It's hard to sue to enforce that.
Speaker 1: Number one and number two, we know that there have been threats by Paramount to actually pull its entire base of operations out of Hollywood, out of California and to move them to a quote friendlier state.
Speaker 2: But let's get into the specifics of.
Speaker 1: Why Rob Bonta canceled this settlement meeting that was supposed to happen today. According to his office late last night, Paramount was accused of acting in bad faith. Quote, not only did Paramount leak the alleged substance of settlement discussions, but they misrepresented these discussions, demonstrating a lack of good faith. As soon as Paramount stops playing games and engages, sincerely, my office is happy to meet again.
Speaker 2: So what was leaked?
Speaker 1: Well, you're not supposed to leak or disclose settlement communications. There is a presumption they are to remain confidential. Why because ay, that's the law and the rule. And b why would anybody want to have good faith settlement negotiations and conversations if they knew that they were going.
Speaker 2: To be exposed.
Speaker 1: Because you may make admissions during the course of your settlement conversations of potential weaknesses. A lot of it is posturing, yes, a lot of his grandstanding.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: But you may say, look, I admit that maybe this is an issue, but this is where you know blah blah blah. The bottom line is this, nobody would Gauge, would engage in good faith and trying to reach a settlement if they thought everything was going to be exposed. And again, the law protects it. The rules protect it. You're not supposed to disclose it. So what is rob Banta talking about?
Speaker 2: Will check this out.
Speaker 1: Apparently there were communications between the attorneys general that are the plaintiffs in this lawsuit. They're outside Council, Millbank and Paramount on August twenty first. Now that was just last week, right, that was just last week Friday. Those communications disclosed, and that is a problem because Paramount is leaking this. It wasn't the Attorney's General and it wasn't their council. According to Robonta, it was Paramount.
Speaker 2: Now what was leaked?
Speaker 1: Well, Paramount is sitting there stating that Robonta. Robonta is trying to ask for things like David Ellison not having day to day oversight or control of Warner Brothers, which Ellison would never agree to do. Quote, Ellison needs those cable channels. That's still where some of the money is. And it is no secret that Robanta's office apparently has asked that Paramount sell off several of Warner Brothers cable channels. So it's like all of this that is maybe going back and forth in terms of possible settlement negotiations, is all being leaked.
Speaker 2: According to Raw Banta. And here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Paramount was forced to be able to make some minor concessions in order to get regulatory approval outside of.
Speaker 2: The United States in the United Kingdom.
Speaker 1: We've covered that here, but this is the big one, right because for every time that they're not able to close, this is costing Paramount a whole lot of money. And that's important because this is costing Paramount a ship pot of money. While this case doesn't settle now. In the meantime, David Ellison, as I mentioned a few minutes ago, has been threatening to leave the state of California, to take the company of Paramount out of California by October first if there is no progress made to resolving this lawsuit that's been brought by Bonta and other ages.
Speaker 2: Jeez.
Speaker 1: Now this is according to the New York Times back on August eleven. So now this is even a couple of weeks ago. Ellison is sitting there thinking that he can intimidate and coerce Bonta into settling on unfavorable terms for the people. Because remember this lawson isn't for raw Bonta. He's not representing a private client. He represents the people. In the state of California, as do these other attorneys general. They're representing the people of those states, and ultimately we'll all benefit if there is a good deal made with structural remedies baked into the deal that will protect us from the not good side of this mega merger, so Bonta said back on August eleven, with this threat, these leaked threats, right to move the company out of California.
Speaker 2: Quote, it's an attempt.
Speaker 1: To blackmail regulators who are daring to enforce the law. Because here's the thing. Starting in October. Why October, you may ask, Katie, Because starting in October, Warner Brothers will owe their shareholders excuse me, Paramount will owe the Warner Brothers shareholders six hundred and fifty million dollars each quarter until the deal closes. Or remember this thing's not going to trial until March of twenty twenty seven, so you've got at least Q four twenty twenty six, Q one twenty twenty seven, and until this thing is done. That's a lot of money, right, So that's what one point three billion, and so because of that, that's part of the reason why there's been this idea that Allison's threatening to move Paramount out of California.
Speaker 2: And here's what somebody said. I thought this was really interesting.
Speaker 1: At least one emerging entertainment hub, Tennessee, has made direct overtures to Ellison. In a letter, Stuart mcwardur, the head of the state's Economic and Community Development Agency, wrote to Ellison encouraging him to consider Tennessee and join other bluestate companies implanting roots in a more business friendly conservative state. Oracle, for example, owned by Ellison's father, has been expanding its presence in Nashville.
Speaker 2: But I want to sit on this for just a second. This is nothing against Nashville and nothing against Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, maybe something against Tennessee, or more appropriately, it's Republican leaders. Think about what is happening here. You have overtures being made by red state Tennessee to come to a quote more conservative place, come and bring your entertainment and media company here. You don't think that we're already dealing with the threat of having Ellison in his outsized influence on content. Again, we've already seen what happened at CBS, right, you don't think actually relocating to a states that you want to be in that's more conservative. You don't think that's also going to have an influence on what happens to content. You'd have to be a fool to think that that's not the case. And it's not a surprise, right, because then you're going to say, well, thank you so much for letting us come to your state, and then you're trying to sit there and negotiate tax deals, benefits for the work that you're bringing to that state.
Speaker 2: But listen to this.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty one, Walt Disney announced plans to relocate roughly two thousand employees from LA to Orlando.
Speaker 2: Workers push back so much so and a.
Speaker 1: Significant number quit rather than move that Disney ultimately canceled their plans and missed that employee resistance. And of course, as you're recall that nasty, stupid Ron DeSantis war on Disney. I mean, the deadline is August twenty sixth, what is that two days from now for the parties to select a mat judge to do this mediation. So there will be a court ordered mediation happening here. But I think it's interesting that Rob Bonta said, uh, oh, we're not doing this if paramount doesn't come to the table in good faith. Bonta says, I will only accept structural remedies to resolve this lawsuit, which means you're gonna have to sell off parts of this combined business, and Allison says, ain't gonna do it. So, I mean, it kind of sounds like it's a, you know, a standoff. But look, it was Banta's choice to do this, and I'm glad because you can't bully people into submission. I think a lot of these billionaire oligarchs, these corporate oligarchs, think that you can just bully people and you can play this game of dropping things in the public, leaking settlement communications that are supposed to remain confidential, threatening to move your base of operations, even though it would really be a big middle finger fuck you to California, which I'm sorry. This is really what I wanted to also emphasize to you. Check this out, because I think this kind of summarizes it really astutely. Joseph Singer, a veteran film financier and former studio executive, said about this threat of Ellison to move Paramount out of California. Many of the top Paramount executives I've spoken with are extremely unhappy with the idea. Their lives, their families, and their kids' lives and schools are in LA. Either the merger is good for California, as its supporters have insisted, or those same jobs are a chip to be moved out of state when the state's law enforcer declines to fold. A threat to relocate doesn't make sense and just hurts the very people he says he wants to protect. He being Allison, and that's just so on point, right people, If you think about it, If Ellison is claiming that this mega merger is so great and it's such a benefit, and it's going to be such a boon to the people of California, you're now threatening to pull your company. You're now threatening to take it somewhere else. By the way, just if you do that, the lossing doesn't go away. The lawsuit is to block the merger in and of it self. There's a lot here, but it is breaking news. I wanted to make sure that we covered it here and like and subscribe, share this so people understand what's going on. There is a lot at stake here about the defense of democracy. You cannot consolidate this amount of power and expect that it's not going to be abused.
Speaker 2: You also want to be able to.
Speaker 1: Understand here that from the very top, from these you know A level actors, actresses, down all the way to the people that are providing craft services.
Speaker 2: I like to say, as an example.
Speaker 1: To the writers, to the people that are on the tech side of it, to the producers, to the hair makeup artists, to the I mean, you name it, they all will have their jobs on the chopping block because of this merger. Consolidation is not going to benefit consumers either. This is a one hundred and eleven billion dollar deal. The debt load on this is freaking huge. Putting aside my concerns about foreign equity being pushed into this to finance this deal, from places like Saudi Arabia, Cutter and others, I have a serious concern about the fact that where are you going to pass down the costs to have to carry this debt.
Speaker 2: You're going to fire people.
Speaker 1: You're going to limit production, especially kind of on the big blockbuster Hollywood side, and you're going to pass down the cost to me as a consumer. Your streaming services are going to get more expensive. Why because it's all been consolidated. All these streaming services are going to be coming together, and so that package is really not a package.
Speaker 2: It's going to be an access fee that's going to be exorb in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can exercise our right not to do it, but why be forced to do that if you have people like Attorney General Bonta, Letitia James and the others that are saying, look, this is anti competitive, it's going to hurt consumers. We don't do this. This is America. Be mad, be outrage, demand accountability like Rob Bonta does.
Speaker 2: I'm off to rellicages.
Speaker 1: Katie Fang here, we launched the Katifang News channel in partnership with the Midas Touch Network so we could bring you the latest and legal and political news straight no chaser. So if you're a fellow truthteller, hit that subscribe button and share the word about this channel so we can build a high information America together