Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Don't look now.
Speaker 3: Burning Man didn't sell out less than two weeks before the festival kicks off.
Speaker 2: Tickets still available. Well, it's ridiculous how much they charge.
Speaker 3: Five seventy five I think is the lowest one. And then you got to get your You gotta get your what do you call it. You gotta get your RV out there by yourself. You gotta buy your own drugs. They don't even they don't even offer drugs anymore. You gotta bring your own.
Speaker 1: Oh that's awful. I'm sure you can get drugs at burning Man.
Speaker 2: Would you gotta pay for them?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: I'm sure they're not free anymore.
Speaker 1: It's like the guy with the with the uh the blue bracelet on his right hand is the guy you get your MDMA from. And the guy with the yellow ball cat. I don't know what it's called, my mom. Yes, drugs are awful.
Speaker 2: Girl. One time, who tried that that Mali a Milanie molly something? She was crazy?
Speaker 1: Gary Shatnon when in Chicago, remember to stay away from Leroy Brown.
Speaker 2: I think they lived on the outside, bad bad le.
Speaker 3: Roy Brown lives on the South side of Chicago, right.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much time we'll be spending on the South Side. I don't think we're gonna get tired. No little Southside.
Speaker 1: Oh, Chicago did a great song nineteen seventy that was a year you were born.
Speaker 2: Is not the year I was born, Okay. I like to move it up a little bit.
Speaker 3: Every time you're like, oh, you must remember that sixty eight convention.
Speaker 2: You were five.
Speaker 1: The four point four magnitude earthquake that shook us earlier in the week hit in an area of a fault system that could pose an even greater threat to parts of the city than the San Andreas, Yes.
Speaker 2: Earthquake earthquake earthquake.
Speaker 3: This was the Pwente Hills Thrust fault system.
Speaker 1: It's a broad underground fault that runs through LA and Orange Counties, including right under downtown LA, and scientists say this is the one that could produce the seven point five or bigger.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean we grew up knowing about the San Andreas fault because that was the biggest concern. It was the one that runs basically you know almost the entire length of the state of California. A lot of our geography that we enjoy is a result of the San Andreas Fault and the movement over the course of thousands and thousands of years.
Speaker 1: Here's the problem with the Puente Hills thrust fault. There are a lot of vulnerable buildings right on top of this fault. Of serious concern is the concrete structures built in the fifties and sixties that are common in commercial real estate in La. Two thirds of those still need to be retrofitted to make them safer for earthquakes.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, two thirds.
Speaker 3: And when you compare the two faults, the San Andreas and the Puente Hills fault zone thrust fault system, they run scenarios, right, They try to do computer models and I guess table games if you want to call it in something different, where they determine how deadly a certain size or earthquake would be. If a magnitude seven point eight hit on the San Andreas fault, they said you would probably see a death toll of about eighteen hundred people. But a seven point five, a little bit smaller earthquake on the Puente Hills thrust fault system would be catastrophic. It would kill at least twice as many and maybe as much as ten times as many people. Because of the location, could be a two hundred and fifty billion dollar property and economic loss if an earthquake hit that size in that area, would be the costliest disaster in US history, far exceeding that of Hurricane Katrina from nineteen years ago.
Speaker 1: Scientists believe the Puente Hills fault has a major quake roughly every few thousand years. And Deborah, they don't know when the last one was. She did say that she is listening. That is so meaning, I know it's horrible. They said violent shaking would be capable. Violent shaking of such an intensity that it would push buildings off its foundations, caused buildings like apartments with those flimsy first floors propping up their car ports to collapse. We've seen it before and we'll probably see it again at some point. And they said that this region that is sitting on the Puente Hills thrust fault system, the mid City area to Arcadia and from Burbank down to Watts, we haven't seen that kind of intense shaking in modern times. USC Earth sciences professor James Dolan says people really really need to be very very ready for a large earthquake or earthquakes. It's going to happen, he said. We don't know when, Deborah, we don't know exactly which fault is going to generate those earthquakes, but they're going to happen.
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 1: I was just thinking about that, and I think, you know, my husband's very smart and prepares for things. I'm not a big preparer obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: But he's got like the water and the ready to eat meals and the you know, the the axe in the garage. Should we be buried, things like that we buried. Yeah, he's thought all of this through good thing.
Speaker 2: Chop that dirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, if the house crumbles and we're in the garage or something and we can act our way out of that, out of that garage, I guess I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't really if it comes to that.
Speaker 3: If it comes to that, that's a good point. Yeah, you might as well just roll over and let it take you.
Speaker 1: I do know I have wine in the garage next to the axe, next to the axe, just.
Speaker 3: Because we bought this would have been ten twelve, fifteen years ago. We bought backpacks. Yeah, one backpack for each of us.
Speaker 2: We have those two.
Speaker 3: There's four backpacks in the garage right now next to the act.
Speaker 2: Move your daughter's backpack with her to Texas well. Because of all the earthquakes in Texas. You don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: Probably some fracking quakes, but more of a tornado issue there.
Speaker 2: You have fire extinguishers.
Speaker 1: We have fire extinguishers in the house and in the garage, and flashlights kind of everywhere.
Speaker 2: Really preparing for the end of days. At my home.
Speaker 3: You have a door that he just keeps saying, do not open that. That's not for you coming up. Of course, we'll get into swamp watch. There's some new poles that have come out. Some are surprising, some are For example, Kamala Harris leads Donald Trump fifty nine percent to thirty four percent in the Golden State, that is our state. That's actually about a seven point larger margin than Biden held earlier this year, but not a giant surprise.
Speaker 1: Trump has weighed in on the lisp slash dental work gone wrong, saying technology is to blame for his voice sounding different and strange during that conversation with Elon Musk, a two hour discussion on X on Monday, some listeners notice that the voice sounded off. He said it was distorted because of the complexity of modern day equipment and cell phone technology. He added that they put out a clearer version with better quality that was posted on Musk's page. Conversation, of course, delayed by about forty minutes. Musk called that a cyber attack.
Speaker 3: Voters in more than a half dozen states are going to decide ballot measures on abortion rights this year, maybe more to come. Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Missouri, Nevada, and South Dakota all are going to have referendums on protections for abortion rights coming up in November. Voters have sided with abortion rights supporters every time it's been directly on the ballot since the Supreme Court put Roe v.
Speaker 2: Wade Back to the states.
Speaker 1: Well, remember Christopher Dorner. Over nine days in twenty thirteen, Christopher Dorner killed four people, two police officers, the daughter of a former LAPD captain and her fiance, and injured three others. He died in that massive fire and a cabin in Big Bear after a shootout with authorities, and then we found his manifesto, and in the manifesto, Christopher Dorner told John and Ken keep doing what you're doing, and they did, and they did to their credit.
Speaker 3: Well, a weird echo of that case came when a couple of international robbers burglar accused of stealing a million dollar watch at gunpoint last week, were found in possession of a gun registered to Christopher Dorner. Kfi's Blake Trolley's been on this story to help us explain what's going on, Blake, what's up?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I just want to start by saying, just yesterday, Chris Little was telling me to look out for bizarre details in stories, and I'm reading through the press release on this arrest over this one million dollar watch, and I'm like, well, there's a bizarre detail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll say so. I just let's just backtrack a little bit here.
Speaker 5: All of this begins last week and when a man from the UK, his wife, and two five year old daughters are dining on the patio of the Beverly Willshirt motel or hotel. Two guys walk up to the man, point a gun at him and steal his one million dollar pa tect Felipe. Watch this all happens in about two seconds. They then get into a stolen Corolla and take off. Police track their license plate, heading to an Airbnb in La Well over the weekend. Police search that Airbnb and inside a pillowcase they find a handgun. The only gun they find, by the way, registered that to none other than Christopher Dorner, who, again, as you guys mentioned, is a former LAPD officer. After being fired for allegedly lying about a use of force incident, went on a killing spree a few years later in twenty thirteen. As you said, their Shannon killing four people again, two of which or two of whom are officers. He then dies in that standoff with law enforcement in Big Bear. Now later that's just kind of the background there. But later the same day they searched that airbnb. The getaway car these guys were using was spotted in blythe which is on the ten right near the Arizona border. The two guys are arrested and during the interrogation we learn a lot about these two guys.
Speaker 2: Both of these.
Speaker 5: Guys are once from Venezuela, once from Colombia. They're both thought to be part of a crime tourism ring. They're young guys. One is twenty one and one is nineteen, and federal prosecutors say that one of the guys arrested was the getaway driver and the other guy was actually not involved in this million dollar watch robbery, but was present for another robbery. He was just kind of part of the group. The guy who was the getaway driver told police that the crew was staking out the area where they stole this watch for two weeks, he says he was then he says when he was arrested in blythe he was actually transporting that million dollar watch to Miami. He admitted to living in the airbnb where Dorner's gun was found and seeing several guns, and police searched his phone. They found photos of the man holding guns, photos of him holding the watch after the robbery. They searched the other guy's phone in on his phone. This is a guy who was not present for that or according to his account so far, was not present for that robbery of that one million dollar watch. But they searched his phone and that's where they found photos of him holding Dorner's gun.
Speaker 3: There's no okay, so we don't know if this gun or it's not unlikely. I would assume that this gun was used in that final shootout that we know happened, because that gun would have been taken into evidence would probably if it was burned in the fire, would have been non functioning at that point. I mean, do we know anything about what kind of gun or at all. So it was a handgun, it was loaded, we were told it was a glock. Now, one thing I want to say here is I did reach out to the Samarino County Sheriff's Department this morning just to ask them if they're part of this investigation, just given the fact that the last place Chris Dorner was alive was in the sam Ernardino Mountains, and they said that they are not part of this investigation as of right now. If you look at a map of where Christopher Dorner was in his final days, he was really all over southern California, So it's really hard to say where he let go of this gun or if it even took place during that timeline. I mean, he was in Riverside, he was down in San Diego, in La Irvine, and then finally in the Samernardino Mountains. So federal prosecutors right now are saying that they're investigating how these guys got their hands on this gun. They're being very transparent and saying, look, we don't know, but as soon as we do, you know, we'll be.
Speaker 2: Sure to let the media know.
Speaker 5: But as far as Gary like retracing it back to that cabin and Big Bear, it doesn't appear they're tracing it back to that location.
Speaker 2: Okay, awesome, Blake, good stuff, Thank you. Thanks guys. Would you know a Protect Philipe watch if it hits you in the face?
Speaker 1: I have no idea what that means. That's the name of a person I have this watch? Oh it doesn't have a name on it.
Speaker 2: That is also not a Protect Really? How much of a watch? This is a million dollar watch? Yeah? Million dollars. Do people do this regularly? Apparently? And apparently people know it enough that you could see it from far enough away that you go, oh, hey, look there's a guy with a Protect Filip. We should rob him. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: You would not be able to know, Like if we go to the convention and you saw a gentleman with a watch, you wouldn't know enough to know if it was a petite falant.
Speaker 2: What was it? Petit filonia? Right checked all as.
Speaker 1: NASA says it's still deciding whether to keep two astronauts at the International Space Station until early next year. Send they're troubled boeing capsule back empty sounds nice, NASA? It doesn't that sound wonderful? I would love to be one of those astronauts just stuck up there. NASA says they're analyzing more data before making a decision by the end of next week or the beginning of next The astronauts were supposed to stay in space for about eight days, and they've been there since June I. Thruster failures and helium leaks marred the capsule's trip there, raising doubts about its ability to return safely.
Speaker 3: I mean, the I guess there is some saving grace in that. It's not It wasn't one guy who is supposed to be at the ISS by himself for a couple of days and then come home.
Speaker 2: You know. It was two people that went.
Speaker 3: Sure, so they got company, and there were people already there on the ISS. So it's not like, I mean, it's different game of uno, right, I mean, there's something that there's conversations to be had as opposed to you just you know, watching your fingernails grow and.
Speaker 1: Get along with these people. Well, what if you were stuck up there with say, I don't I don't know, I don't know what happened. How would you handle that? I would how would that be handled?
Speaker 2: Three words? Breach the air lock? All right, Scott Peterson. For the first time nothing you went like this with, well, you knew what I was gonna think.
Speaker 1: Okay, For the first time in more than twenty years, the convicted murderer of Lazy Peterson, Scott Peterson, is speaking out. It's in a new Peacock documentary. It's called Face to Face with Scott Peterson. So there he is in this noisy day room of Mule Creek State Prison in Ione, California. The speaks over a grainy video call. They say in this rite up in People magazine, he looks more like a laid back surfer than a man convicted of the heinous murder of his wife Lacy and their unborn son Connor. In his hair and sometimes he has it in a ponytail. It's long, it's touseled, a ponytail. Who say his demeanor is calm and friendly, he turns serious as he discusses the terrible mistake he made when, a month before the murders, he began an affair with Amber Fry, a massage therapist in Fresno. It's just as sad as it sounds from what I remember, he said.
Speaker 2: It's horrible.
Speaker 1: I was a total a hole to be having sex outside our marriage. He wants the public to listen to his side of the story on what he calls the so called investigation carried out by police and prosecutors, who he claims ignored significant leads relied solely on circumstantial evidence in their quest to convict him.
Speaker 3: The three part docuseries premieres on Peacock on let's say a week from yesterday. It's called Face to Face with Scott Peterson. It says in this new documentary, the fertilizer salesperson continues spreading the BS.
Speaker 2: Now I wrote that line.
Speaker 1: Prosecutors at trial, Let's just go back, revealed a mountain of evidence against him. He was arrested near the Mexico border. His hair was bleached. She was carrying thousands of dollars in cash, OH in his brother's passport. He floated the possibility that the men responsible for a burglary across the street from their home in Modesto were responsible for her death, but prosecutors laid out the fact that that burglary happened two days after she was missing. He claimed to have gone fishing in Berkeley on Christmas Eve, where a police canitean unit picked up Lacey sent at a boat ramp. They found her hair in the teeth of a pair of pliers they found on his boat. This is not circumstantial evidence. This is well, it is circumstantial evidence. It's just a metric s tony Okay. An officer asked him what he was fishing for and with what bait. He allegedly mumbled an answer, walked outside, slammed a flashlight on the ground, and said.
Speaker 2: Fu Yeah.
Speaker 3: Scott Peterson says, this is so offensive and so disgusting. I certainly regret cheating on Lacy. Absolutely. It was about a childish lack of self esteem, selfish me traveling somewhere lonely that night because I wasn't at home. Someone makes you feel good because they want to have sex with you. Sounds like he's really iq. I'm gonna say it's really picking up there in le Mule Creek State Prison. One of his staunches suppor orders in the documentary as his sister in law, Janie Peterson, who became a lawyer in part because she was motivated by the attacks of September eleventh.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: No, in part because she was motivated because she thought her brother in law was a stand up fella and wanted to fight for his freedom. She telled People magazine that his affair and his dishonesty was devastating and upsetting to her. In Scott's family, Scott lied about cheating and that was upsetting, but he wasn't charged with infidelity.
Speaker 2: He was charged with murder. Yeah, okay, Garragus.
Speaker 3: Speaking, Oh oh, can I break some news? Well, I don't know if this is breaking news or not. Okay, do you know who just hired Mark Arrogus for his tax case? Hunter Biden just hired Mark Arragus for his tax case?
Speaker 2: He does Joe Biden pardon his son? Well, I don't know. He has said he wouldn't h but I mean listening.
Speaker 3: But now that he's out of it, does he remember he said he didn't I wouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know so Scott Peterson.
Speaker 1: By the way, a judge decided this summer most of the evidence he wanted retested should not be. The court has allowed his requests for new testing on some evidence, including a fifteen and a half inch strip of duct tape that was recovered from whatever remained of Lacey in the San Francisco Bay. So his only real chance, they say, of any sort of retrial is if the DNA on the duct tape on her body shows someone else and still does not exonerate him, but it does make things a little more cloudy in that regard.
Speaker 3: Well, I just pretty amazed that that guy still get in the publicity that he is considering.
Speaker 1: How well two documentaries, one on Peacock and one on Netflix that airs today. I mean, yes, the story is, it's a true crime classic.
Speaker 2: I guess you could say, sure, but it checks all the boxes.
Speaker 1: But the interview with him and letting him have a say is just leaves a bad feeling.
Speaker 2: In my gut.
Speaker 3: Internationally, from the World War three, desk Hamas says it is not going to take part in a new round of Gaza ceasefire talks that are supposed to begin tomorrow. In Kotter, the US had said that it expects some indirect talks to go ahead as planned. Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln actually had postponed head trip to the Middle East that was supposed to begin yesterday. The other World War three front, Ukraine, has captured more Russian land in a week than the Kremlins forces have managed more than eight months.
Speaker 2: Of warfare there.
Speaker 3: Keith said that it had taken control of seventy four settlements in the Kersk region along the border there in southern Russia.
Speaker 1: A reporter at a small newspaper in Wyoming has resigned after a competitor discovered he was using AI to write stories and fabric okay quotes, including some by the governor. The Cody Enterprises publisher and editor apologized after they investigated and found AI fabricated quotes in seven of the reporter's stories. They're still reviewing others. Newspaper also plans to create an AI policy to ensure it never happens again. Incident illustrates the potential pitfalls and dangers that generative AI composed to industries like journalism. Didn't somebody give us a story at some point that was written by Ai.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and you can tell. I mean we could tell, right, it appeared that something was off with it, and in fact that guy was found out because there was a journalist working somewhere else I don't know if it was another newspaper, TV, some other outlet who'd been on the job for fifteen or twenty years read the story and thought that seems a little pedantic, it seems a little robotic in the way that it was written, and then typed in a prompt into chat GPT and came up with an almost identical paragraph that this guy did, so that that's originally how he was found.
Speaker 2: Out, Deborah. Some news you can use.
Speaker 1: Japan has issued its first ever mega quake advisory oh oh no, after a powerful earthquake struck off the southeastern coast of the country southern main island of Kishu Tayushu.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was a seven point one quake, caused no deaths or severe damage, and they say the subsequent advisory has caused public unease about when the next big one will hit. We'll see.
Speaker 6: So I'm not the crazy person that everybody thinks.
Speaker 2: I am the no no, a worrior.
Speaker 6: Everybody thinks, I am, you're a preparer, right, Yes, well I'm not really preparing, but you're not prepared at home? Well no, I am, But how prepared can you really be for a seven point five earthquake?
Speaker 2: Right? I mean? Do you have an axe in case you're buried under the rubbel? I don't. I need to go buy one of those. A fire extinguisher as well, I have that? Okay, yeah? What else? Flashlights? Yes? Food? And wine? I do. I actually have wine. I don't have a lot of food. I need to go get. You need to get some cans and garbanzopen I.
Speaker 6: Do, and some more vegan protein bars.
Speaker 1: Some like yumes, and a lot of toilet paper. It sounds like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: So I was driving listening to your story about Scott Peterson and I was recalling all of the evidence why he was so profoundly guilty, and then you said he had a ponytail, and I just screamed guilty profoundly.
Speaker 2: That is good.
Speaker 3: Antonio Moreno is a guy who said he was stung more than two hundred times last Friday when a swarm of bees attacked him and his twelve year old son.
Speaker 2: They were out feeding four horses at.
Speaker 3: Their ranch out in the Ie in the europe of Valley when this attack happened.
Speaker 1: Was tied up and my son said to me, Dad, a bee is stinging the horse. I went, I untied him, told my son to move away. But soon after that the bees descended on this guy Antonio and the horses, covering them in a blanket of swarming bees.
Speaker 2: Ouch. They fled to the street. They took the horses with us.
Speaker 3: The bees followed us onto the street, and they kept stinging and went back to get a couple other horses that were still tied up, but he was never able to actually get up to them. He said, because everything began to close up. My heart, sorry, my throat closed up. My heart felt like it was going to explode. My chest hurt so much. Everything hurt.
Speaker 2: It's one thing to be stung by a bee, but two hundred two hundred stings, I mean, that's gonna Even if you're not allergic to a beasting, that many beast things will blow you up.
Speaker 1: Bees, especially honey bees, generally only attack to defend themselves or their colony. They may sting if they feel threat provoked or accidentally stepped on. Bees can also be disturbed by vibrations, carbon dioxide, hair, and dark colors.
Speaker 2: Great, we all were black today.
Speaker 1: Which are common characteristics of their predators mammals Now.
Speaker 3: Amazingly, Antonio was rescued by the property owner there and her boyfriend, who saw the whole thing. They dragged him into their home. They also got several beest things. I guess everybody involved with this. As he began to lose consciousness, Antonio calls his buddy and says, bring the trailer. The horses are in danger, so he goes out. The buddy shows up with the trailer to get the horses out of there. I guess a couple of the horses were saved by dousing them in foam to subdue the bees.
Speaker 2: One had died.
Speaker 3: The other horse still alive, but soon fell to the ground and died as they tried to put her onto the trailer.
Speaker 2: Did you know that.
Speaker 1: Bees release a pheromone that attracts other bees if they're threatened. It's like you put out the call to all the bees. Hey, I feel a threat, and all the bees respond because of the pheromone.
Speaker 2: I did not know that. That's what you learned this week on the Gary and Shannon Show, isn't it? Did you know the bees can smell fear? Wow? JJ McCarthy's out for the season. What happened?
Speaker 1: Surgery on a torn meniscus in his knee reveals repair is needed.
Speaker 2: Oh so he's Mike Trout. Now he's Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 7: I guess, Hey, Gary and Shannon. So last night I'm listening to the Gary Shannon Show on the iHeartRadio app After Hours. It's about nine thirty at night, and I'm listening to you guys talk about butter on potatoes, butter on popcorn, butter on bread, buttered everywhere, and I don't need after six thirty.
Speaker 2: So that was really difficult.
Speaker 1: Sorry, at least you, uh sorry, your will power shined through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we don't know how.
Speaker 1: If I listened to that segment last night at nine thirty, I would have butter in my mouth.
Speaker 2: You'd still have butter on it, I'd have it everywhere. You look very shiny today. It's the butter. It's the extra butter. Hey, Dad, the extra butter. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm. Every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.