Speaker 1: Broadcasting from Studio A here at Proven Winners, Color Choice Shrubs. It's the Gardening Simplified Radio, YouTube and podcast show with Stacy Hervella, Me, Rick Weist, and our engineer and producer Adrianna Robinson. Well today, Stacy, let's talk about peach. And I'm a little bit fuzzy as far as peaches are concerned.
Speaker 2: Is that what you want to do the show? We just had that pun waiting, it's not come up on the show.
Speaker 1: Would I do something like that?
Speaker 2: I mean, if you had a pun burning a hole in your pocket, so to speak, I wouldn't put it past You're just saying.
Speaker 1: Thank you, very mulch. Well, the poor peach suffers from a bit of an identity crisis. You will see people calling it apricot, salmon, terra cotta, even light coral, all words that describe the same range of colors. I know from experience, for example, with tulips, many of them that are or what I would call peach are called apricot. And then you throw nectarine into the mix, and now well you have chaos. Think of the color peach and what pops into your head. If you remember the eighties, like me, it's probably things like bridesmaid dresses and loose fitting suits and jackets worn on the television show Miami Vice. But the color peach can be a garden problem solver. Peach is one of the freshest, most flexible colors you can incorporate into a garden design. So here's how I want you to think about it. I want you to think of peach as the tactful friend that keeps oversized garden personalities from acting out.
Speaker 2: Ooh, that's interesting. I'd like my oversized garden personalities to act up personally. And I don't have a lot of peach in my garden, but this is an and interesting approach.
Speaker 1: Well, think about it. Peach is in my mind, yellow and red and white blended together, and so the yellow and red kind of stand out, and then you throw in the white and you soften it, not really pastel, but just kind of make it fuzzy, and you've got the color peach, and it's ideal for the garden.
Speaker 2: I guess that's true. I don't have a lot of it, but I always do admire peach. Flowering pornias like GM always a really good one for some beautiful kind of peachy orange colors.
Speaker 1: I like that. Well, we'll give you some peach suggestions.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Of course, the Pantone color for twenty twenty four is Peach fuzz. So I looked it up Stacy, and according to the executive director there at Pantone Color Institute, she says, peach captures our desire to nurture ourselves and others. It's a velvety peach tone who's all embracing spirit, enriches mind, body and soul. In seeking a hue that echoes are innate yearning for closeness and connection. We chose a color radiant with warmth and modern elegance, a shade that resonates with compassion, offers a tactile embrace and effortless. Effortlessly bridges the youthful with the timeless.
Speaker 2: WHOA wow, All that from a color?
Speaker 1: All that from a color? The color peach. Well, it's a mix of orange, yellow and white. I misspoke myself, really not red yellow and white, but orange yellow and white.
Speaker 2: Well, there's red and orange. So I was thinking you're just doing the color wheel thing.
Speaker 1: That yeah, yeah, but a softness to it. So I just think that it's one of those ideal colors to add sweetness and goodwill and joy to your garden.
Speaker 2: So what do you have that's peach in your garden? Well doing all this heavy lift.
Speaker 1: One of my very favorite peach colored plants is a proven Winner's Color choice shrub and that is double take peach quints.
Speaker 2: Ooh, that is a lovely one.
Speaker 1: That is a stunning, stunning color.
Speaker 2: That is like the epitome of peach. Really in the garden.
Speaker 1: It is rainbow rhythm orange smoothie day lilies. They call them orange smoothie, but it doesn't look orange to me. And I have a question for you, Stacy. We have walked through the trial garden before. A plant that I love is at Last rose. I think it's one of the most incredible roses that you can grow in your landscape. My question for you would be what color do you consider it to be? Is it apricot, is it peach? Is it orange? What is it?
Speaker 2: I would consider it? We usually refer to it as more apricot, So in my eye, apricot is more orange than peach, or peach is a little bit like kind of lighter, has more white in it, and apricot has like a little bit more you know, bright orange to it not bright still, but like you know, just it's more orange and less white.
Speaker 1: So at last you would view as.
Speaker 2: Being a Yeah. When we were playing around with the names for that plant, we were working with a lot of variations on apricot. They just didn't make the final cut.
Speaker 1: Well, as it relates to the color peach in your landscape, I wrote a little limb a rick for you. Don't want something busy to make a scene so distracting. You'll need some drama meme. Try a color that isn't demanding, that will provide a soft landing and always looks peachy keen. Life isn't all peaches and cream, but isn't it fun? Just dream? Use soft color and fuzz. You'll be all the buzz and make a great Instagram meme. Oh boy, this color. It's not overreach to say it's just a peach. You may disagree, but opinions are free. I'll exercise my free speech.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, I like that.
Speaker 1: I like this color.
Speaker 2: I mean I do like it, I just don't I don't actually have it in my garden. But you know what, I don't have a lot of soft colors in my garden. I like bold color. That's my preference. But you know, as you were reading that, I was thinking of a plant that I actually really do love in peach is yarrow. A lot of the new cultivars of yarrow have that really beautiful kind of peachy color.
Speaker 1: You're right, there is a firefly peach sky yarrow, light peachy orange flowers that age to yellow, which is very neat. And then Stacey, Oh, a few weeks ago in an episode, you brought up a rose called Flavorret flavorette honey apricot rose.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that is so that one is kind of apricot colored. But the reason that Flavrete honey apricot rose is called that is because it actually was developed to have a taste reminiscent of apricots. And actually, ironically enough, if I had to characterize the color, I would say that flavor at honey apricot, despite its apricot flavor, is more peach colored than at last, which is more apricot colored. But if you're confused, we'll link everything in the show notes. You can sort it out. And you know, all of this is very subjective whenever it comes to color, and particularly when we are talking about colors based on the color of something else, whether that's orange or peach or apricot, all of which are things that have actual colors in the real world. So check out our show notes and you can tell us what you think is apricot, what you think is peach, and you go orange.
Speaker 1: A new proven Winn's Annual variety in twenty twenty four, which I think is really beautiful. It's a Caliber CoA super Bell's double Vintage coral that looks very peach to me. And then we've talked before about agistachi or hsup and meant to be.
Speaker 2: Queen neck to It's a beautiful plant that and it's peachy, Yes it is.
Speaker 1: It's peachy. And bogonias are fantastic for peach color. As a matter of fact, I have found through the years that if you want some really great peach color in your landscape, look to the bulbs, so to speak. Maybe they're not bulbs, maybe they're rhizomes or tubers. But when you look at bogonias, you look at tulips, you look at cannas, you look at gahlias and daffodils. Yes, the peach color is just amazing. There is a Selenia Apricot Bogonia hybrid. That's a new variety for twenty twenty four. Even kalladiums get into the act Heart to heart chinook And of course you can't. You can't do a show on peach without talking about super beina, peachy keen. Wow, that is an amazing that.
Speaker 2: Is Yeah, the archetype of peach colored flowers, I think, And you know there are also plants with kind of peach colored foliage. Yes, sometimes especially new growth can have a kind of orange. Sometimes you see this in our Midnight Wine or Midnight Sun Why Gila. You also see it a bit in our double Play Blue because you spyriea just on the brand new growth and in a plant that was featured in past plants on Trial Kodiak Orange Dravilla. So it is very orange, but as when the foliage, the new new growth starts to emerge, it can be have kind of a peachy tone to it.
Speaker 1: I love that and I'm glad you brought up the foliage element because some of the colis you will see peach color, like in the Sedona Sunset.
Speaker 2: Oh. I love that variety.
Speaker 1: That is fantastic. And then you know, when you're talking about foliage. Even some houseplants I've noticed agglinima or Chinese evergreen, some shades of peach in there, and even points set he is are getting into the act Christmas time.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, for someone who wants a little twist on the classic red and they are very pretty.
Speaker 1: Yes. So it's all peachey, my friends. And that's the topic of today's show. We'll see how Stacey ties it in coming up next in Plants on Trial, you're listening and viewing the Gardening Simplified Show.
Speaker 2: Proven Winter's Color Choice Shrubs cares about your success in the garden. That's why we trial and test all of our shrubs for eight to ten years, making sure they outperform everything else on the market. Look for them and the distinctive white container at your local garden center. Greeting's gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show. The order of the day is peach. The color peach. And you know it is interesting is you're listing all the sort of permutations of peach that all of these colors over any other color I think are named after something else. So there's salmon, there's apricot, there's peach, there's orange. That doesn't happen with any other colors.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't. And before coming to the studio today, I looked in my closet thinking maybe I'll wear a peach shirt. I don't have one.
Speaker 2: You know, I had the same thoughts, and I also do not have a peach shirt. But I thought it was interesting that you brought up the eighties fashion because I was in my aunt's wedding as a junior bridesmaid in the nineteen eighties and my bridesmaid dress was indeed peach.
Speaker 1: Everyone at the bridesmaids were all wearing peach, and the guys were wearing mint green.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, peach and mint That was like the thing, that was the thing.
Speaker 1: I mean even appliances too.
Speaker 2: Now there's probably a lot of people out there who would love nothing more than some vintage eighties or mint green and peach appliances. It has truly come around. But this is about plants, not the nineteen eighties appliances. And you know, when it comes to plants on trial, of course, I had to pick a peach plant. And our absolute peachiest plant Rick has already mentioned, and that is double take peach flowering quints, which is a beautiful spring flowering shrub, But it just seemed, you know, unnatural to me to talk about a spring flowering shrub in the middle of August when there's so much else going on in the garden. You don't know, one wants to think about spring yet. They're getting ready for Halloween, and so I wanted to pick something that was a little bit more seasonal, and for me, the plant that I picked is Ringo All Star rose.
Speaker 1: It's a beauty.
Speaker 2: It is a beauty, and it's a very interesting rose. So I want to kind of talk about some of the things that make this rose so different, but first I want to kind of give you a picture of what it looks like. As the name Ringo may start to imply it is, it's characterized by this central ring in the flower and color changes. So there are actually four roses in the Ringo series. The original Ringo, which is yellow and red, Ringo All Star, which we're talking about today, Ringo Double Pink, which is a doubled version, and then there is Rise Up Ringo, which is a climbing version of the yellow Ringo, And all of these have a very distinctive red eye in the center and the petals actually change color as the flower matures and ages, so you're actually getting a number of different colors on any of these plants at any given time. And rinku all Star, as you might have guessed, is the closest to peach. So when the flower opens, the outer petals are kind of like a deep pinky orange shading to peach in the center and then that bright red ring. But then as that bloom ages, what happens is that orange pink goes to pink, the peach goes to what I would probably describe as a more accurate because you know, peaches themselves are kind of actually a little bit yellow, especially if you have like a yellow peach. You know, there's the white peaches those are more peach than the yellow peaches, which are yellow and peach. Wow, this is getting confusing, So true peach with a little bit of yellow there in the center as it ages, and then that red ring takes on some pink and then has this plant which does not need dead heading to flower. All summer goes on in blooms, You're getting all these flowers at all these different stages at once, and it really makes for a very interesting and dynamic show where you're going to get a lot of different colors at once, and that's a lot more interesting then, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really neat. And I'm reading my notes here because this is not something I know. But you talk about a parentage being Haltemia haultemia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so ulmia.
Speaker 1: That sounds like somebody who wrestles in the World Wrestling Federation, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, It would be a good name for a professional wrestler, and you are about to find out why. So so this plant the Ringo series and other series that you might see out there that look similar with this very distinctive central ring are from are developed from a rose known as Rosa persica, and that was originally known as Holtemia. So that's h U l T h E m i a Holtemia, and it is a true rose, but it used to be classified in its own genus of Holtemia, and Holtemia or Rosa persica is actually a desert rose, a native to Persia, native to Persia, as you might have guessed from the persica there in the name Prunas persica. Oh my gosh, synchronicity. Prunas persica is the scientific name for peach, so it's all coming together.
Speaker 1: How it comes together, even on the fly, operating by the seat of our plants. Don't try this.
Speaker 2: At home exactly. So this is a plant that is native to very dry desert areas of Iran and Iraq and other areas around the Middle East, and if you were to see Rosa persica or Holtemia in bloom in those areas, you probably would not think that it is a rose in any way, shape or form, even though the flower itself does resemble a rose, and it actually looks quite a bit like ringo, just a little bit more wild. The yellow is much more deep, and the red in the center is very very intense. The plant itself is actually kind of a sprawling, weedy subshrub, and the foliage is blue, so it's this beautiful, unique blue color spiny. The stems and leaves are quite spiny, with almost like a fish hook spine that kind of curves back in on itself, and then the buds are absolutely covered in spines, so like a little bit like a beech rose Rosa ragosa if you're familiar with that, but the spines are probably like an inch long. So this thing is saying to predators stay the heck away. It's growing in the desert with a long taproot. Now this is straight species, minds you. Not the ringo are the ones that we're going to be growing in our gardens. Like I said, it is typically a weed that grows on the edges of fields, and I was reading that after farmers harvest their fields of whatever crap they were growing, they will then harvest any Rosa persica or Holtemia growing on the outskirts and they use that for fuel because roses are actually very high in oil, and so they will actually use the fruits that are formed by the end of the season to make oil and use that for a fuel. So we'll put a picture of Holtemia or Rosa persica in the show notes as well as in the YouTube version if you are interested in that, and you'll see the similarities at least in the flower. But then you'll see that foliage you'll be like, whoa, these are not similar at all? What's going on? Well? Fortunately, Rosa persica is also very amenable to plant breeding, so it was able to cross very readily with other roses, and that's not always the case even closely related plants like this. In the same botanical genus might not cross well because of their chromosome counts. Well, Fortunately, Rosa persica is one of those that's just like you know me, with whatever, I will make a new plan and we will resolve each other's liabilities and make something even better. And that's what happened with Ringos. So the person who did the hybridizing of the Ringo series, he is a brilliant rose breeder named Chris Warner in the UK. He has probably been responsible for around eighty percent of the roses in the Proven Winner's brand, So if you have a Proven Winner's rose, there's a very likely chance that it was developed by Chris Warner. Chris developed all of the Ringos series and he is just a lifelong rose breeder who is just absolutely devoted to roses and to making roses more disease resistant and more beautiful so more people can enjoy them. He's really one of those kind of breeders who just wants to share his passion and he knows that to do that, not everyone is going to devote the time and energy that they need to have really great looking roses. So he's like, I love roses, I'm just going to make them easier to grow and then no one has an excuse not.
Speaker 1: To grow, and he did that with Rise Up Lilac days.
Speaker 2: Yes, so he is a breeder of Rise Up Lilac Dace, which is Adriana's favorite rose, and in fact, I would say it's probably pretty much anyone who sees its favorite rose. It is so beautiful and so fragrant. You can actually see it in our rose video which is available on our YouTube channel. But all of this talk about the parentage of this, of Ringo all Star rows being from the desert the one of the parents, it really says a lot about how heat tolerant roses can actually be. Now, this is hardy down to USDA Zone four, heat tolerant through about USDA Zone eight, and because it does have that desert parentage, it is not a huge fan of humidity. So if you are in like a Mediterranean zone eight or nine, southern California something like that, you'll probably actually have much better luck with us than someone who is in a human zone eight like in Georgia or Florida. It's really not going to appreciate being grown in humid conditions, So if you are trying to grow it, if you love this planet. It's easy to love it's so beautiful, and you live in a hot, humid climate. I would say this is one rose you are going to want to definitely pay attention to the spacing on. It's going to be about two to three feet tall and three feet wide, so make sure you respect that and give it a good one and a half to two feet on all sides. By giving it really really good air circulation, you can help to reduce some of that disease pressure that might occur since this is not a humidity loving rose, and of course fungal leaf spots do love humidity. So full sun, good air circulation and you should actually get a really great performance out of Ringo all Star or any of the roses whatever color. If you're looking for peach, of course that's Ringo all Star. I think we've also described it as cantalope colored. If we want to just keep bringing the fruits into this, but take your pick, look at all of them. We will link them all in the show notes and you can let us know which of the ringos you like best.
Speaker 1: Understanding the parentage. I appreciate that story and it helps you in growing the plant or placing the plant properly. Also, I mean that's great. I thought this rose was named after Ringo, Star of the Beetles.
Speaker 2: Oh it is?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 2: Yeah as well? Oh and it has a ring in it? Get it?
Speaker 1: Are you more than I thought? I?
Speaker 2: You sure do?
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Please take a look at Gardenings and Provide on air dot com to check out all the pictures and additional information about Ringo All Star and all the rest of the three hundred and twenty plus Proven Winter's Color Choice shrubs. Right now, we're going to take a break. When we come back, we've got the garden mailbag to open up, so please stay tuned at Proven Winner's Color Choice. We've got a shrub for every taste and every space. Whether you're looking for an easycare rose and unforgettable hydrangea, or something new and unique, you can be confident the shrubs and the white containers have been trialed and tested for your success. Look for them at your local garden center. Greetings, gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show, where it's time for us to help you with your garden quandaries and conundrums. If you have a garden question, you can always reach us at help HLP at Gardeningsimplified on air dot com, or just visit Gardening Simplified on air dot com and you can use the contact form to send us a message. If you're watching on YouTube, you can also just leave a comment and Adriana will let us know what that question is and we will get back to you. You know, it is August. It is the middle of August. But it's funny how it seems like after the first week, it just like fall. It just turns into fall, even though we're still technically six weeks hour, you know, a good month out from true autumn. We're close to meteorological autumn, which will start at the beginning of September, and it's just kind of like, even though it's still summer and we're vacationing and it's hot, it's just kind of like everybody's brain starts turning to fall. And I've noticed in opticking questions about things that are going to start becoming relevant in a fall.
Speaker 1: And I think it's because there's so much that happens in fall. School starts, football, all this stuff.
Speaker 2: I think that's why do Yeah, definitely, so if you have a question about what to do now what to do in coming up in the fall. Don't forget fault is a marvelous planting time, and nurseries very often have sales. It's a great time to plant here in Michigan. We can easily plant through mid October, if not later. And the warmer climate you live in, the longer you can plant. So start thinking about those changes that you might want to make to your garden as we move into fall. And actually the first question today is a very fall related question.
Speaker 1: Yes it is fall planted bulbs, Candy asks Hi, Rick and Stacy. I live in Wyoming Zone four B five. My area averages four to six feed of snow and it doesn't melt until springtime. I would love to plant tulips. Last year I tried to plant tulips in a metal container because I have deer that eat everything in my garden, but they rotted. What am I doing wrong? I thought you could plant them in containers or should I give up on them? Thanks for your advice, you know, I would say for Candy, remember that many of these bulbs, like tulips, come from Mediterranean regions, and so drainage is so important if you're putting them in pots, good drainage, whole lightweight soil in the pots. If you're planting them in the ground, good drainage, planting them at least six inches deep if they're tulips, and good drainage is one of the keys.
Speaker 2: It really is. And you also have to plant them up at the right time, so you don't really want to necessarily plant them too early. Most if you're buying bulbs from a store, they're very often in the store earlier than you would ideally want to plant them. If you're buying mail order, they will typically ship them at the right time for planting. And you know, for you Candy, since you are planting into containers, what I would recommend you ye is use containers with good drainage holes and use fresh potting mix. And typically you're not going to get a lot of rotting issues in potting mix because it does naturally drain well. That said, there are definitely some other things that can go wrong. The plants do need to be left outdoors all winter. They need a cold treatment. So if they're not getting a cold treatment and they're getting watered anyway, they very easily can rot because they're not in active growth. So you want them to be dormant and they can be out there. You don't even have to worry. I mean, obviously, if you've got four to sixty feet of snow, you won't be able to get them. But if you can have an unheated garage or someplace where you can put them where they're going to be easy to lift up and move indoors. When you're ready, they're going to need, you know, at least eight weeks of those cold temperatures, and during that time, as long as they're cold, they're not going to rot and.
Speaker 1: The roots are going to develop in the soil. So when we say cold, we're not talking about bone chilling, frozen like a brick cold. We're talking about chilled temperatures. So many times putting them into storage or in the ground, but seeing to it that they don't freeze solid is going to be one of the keys. And yes, drainage so super important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I would try it again. Just make sure again your containers are drained. Well, you're using fresh potting mix. I mean, you're putting them in a spot where you don't have to bring them in early. You can wait until all of that snow melts. But it is very one of the reasons the benefits really to forcing bulbs like this is being able to get those bulbs out of the outdoors, bring them in and get that little early preview of springtime to get you through until it actually comes, especially if you live in a climate like Wyoming.
Speaker 1: Surely writes to us, Hello again, wonderful hosts of a wonderful program. Well, thank you very mult Surely, I have a six year old, healthy and beautiful ground spread juniper that I would like to move. Just wondering if I should cut it back first, and if so, how far. Also was wondering if you thought it might do well along my lakefront. Thanks so much, and you know for surely, Stacey. Often I recommend to people to cut back plants to when you're going to move them, to take some of the stress off the plant when you move them. It doesn't necessarily mean.
Speaker 3: You have to.
Speaker 1: If it's an older established plant, yes, if it's a younger plant that's only been in the ground for a year or two, in many cases you can get by without it.
Speaker 2: Sure you know, a lot of people don't realize that a plant's roots are in direct proportion to its top. So if you reduce the root room or if you duice the amount of roots it has by digging it. When you are going to no matter how careful you are, you are going to sit loose some roots. It would be impossible not to. So it's a good idea then to compensate by removing some of that top because the plant isn't necessarily going to be able to support the same amount of top growth when it has less root growth to do so. But you know, you also don't want to do this at the expense of the overall aesthetics of your plant. And pruning your groundcover juniper could be a little bit tricky, you know. I don't know if you could feel like you can get in there and maybe just you know, snip out with some sloppers, maybe a third of the oldest branches, that might work if you're planning to maybe just shorten some of the branches, which might make it easier to dig. But I would definitely compensate, you know, by taking off perhaps a quarter, maybe even a little bit more. Do your best. It's not really going to harm the plant as long as you're pruning in a way that's not going to change the aesthetics. But fall is such a great time for transplanting, you know. And if you transplant at a time where you're still giving the plant a good six weeks of root growth, it's great. Because the plant systems are shutting down. It's saying like, hey, it's time for me to go dormant. But it's growing all of these roots still and it doesn't have to worry about supporting all this top growth. It can really devote all of its energies to root growth, which is not only going to help it get through winter, but make a better start in spring. Now, if you can't do it this fall, next spring is also perfectly okay, you just want to do it early. And as far as growing on your lake front, yeah, I mean, junipers are very very drought tolerant, very wind tolerant. It can easily handle growing in an exposed area. So just make sure that you're giving it plenty of water as it settles in it to compensate for all of that lost route.
Speaker 1: We see many junipers growing along the lake shore of Lake Michigan, right there on the dunes, so they can handle it. And yeah, well, said Stacey, the air temperature cools down, we get natural rain, so top growth slows or stops, but that root growth is going to continue because that soil can stay nice and warm well into November December. Shalanda writes to us, Greetings, I planted purple cone flower from seed last year. Some of them came up disformed on the cone flower part. Others were normal and planted in the same area and next to a deformed one. Have you ever seen this? Do you know what's going on here? Thank you for sharing your expertise and humor. I hope I got your name right. I think it's Slanda And you know I have seen this before on cone flowers.
Speaker 2: I have seen it before, and it is a disease called astor yellows. So there's a couple of different things that cone flowers in anything in the daisy family can get and that includes redbeccia. I mean really, any that you can think of are susceptible to this. So there are some mites, which is a tiny little insect relative that can feed on it, and that can look different. But Slanda from your photos, I would say this is a cut and drug case of astor yellows. Now what surprises me though, is that she grew these from seed. So astor yellows is a disease that is, it's called a phytoplasma, which there's your ten cent word.
Speaker 5: Whork.
Speaker 2: We'll have to make that a future word of the day.
Speaker 1: Did you ever see the Ghostbusters move?
Speaker 2: I think that's ectoplasm, but very similar, and it's spread. It's sort of like a bacteria, it's not quite a bacteria. It's spread by leaf hoppers. So basically what happens is the leaf hoppers hop around from plant a plant. If they feed on an infected plant, and it could be somewhere in your neighborhood. It doesn't even need to be in your yard specifically, it will transmit this phytoplasma into your plant. So what I think probably happened this was not an issue of the seed or anything that you did. Probably as the plants were starting to emerge this season, some of them got the leaf hopper and it fed on it and transmitted this disease. And you know, unfortunately, there is no cure for aster yellows, and it is recommended that any plant that is showing signs be removed and destroyed because if you don't, it's just creating more astor yellows because more leaf hoppers will feed on it and then spread it to more plants. So just because these couple of plants had it doesn't mean the others are going to get it. I have had astor yellows here and there in my garden, like on my sulpium, which look amazing right now, and I love them, and I've just dug them and discarded them and then it doesn't show up again. So it can be very very localized like that. So I would recommend destroy these specific plants at least you won't have lost your whole crop, and be vigilant. Look for it to possibly appear on other daisies. And if you see it, do you make sure you're throwing it away. And if you happen to prune or use a tool, just to be safe, I would recommend disinfecting that with a full strength lysol or a bleach or something like that.
Speaker 1: Use the search engine of your choosing type in aster yellows and you will learn a lot and see a lot. Yeah, thanks for listening and watching the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quite interesting and I will put some links of course in the show notes if you want to do more research, but there's tons and tons of information out there, and once you see the pictures, you will see it is again a textbook case. So we're going to take a little break. When we come back, we have a special guest from Proven Winner's Perennials and you won't want to miss it. The Gardening Simplified Show is brought to you by Proven Winner's Color Choice Shrubs. Our award winning flowering shrubs and evergreens have been trialed and tested for your success so you enjoy more beauty and less work. Look for Proven Winner's Color Choice Shrubs and the distinctive white container at your local garden center.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show. Today, I'm branching news and interview with Laura Roebel's regional product manager from Walter's Gardens, Proven Winner's Perennials and Wow. Big reason for talking to Laura is to talk about a plant that I know we love very much and that is summarific hibiscus. Talk about I mean, how can you not love summarific hibiscus? And what a great plant, an iconic landscape perennial during the month of August with its massive, wide flowers. Laura thanks for joining us on the Gardening Simplified Show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: This is a big time of the year for you, and summarific hibiscus has got to be I'm gonna guess near the top as far as your most popular perennials. And am I wrong about that?
Speaker 5: No, you're right.
Speaker 4: We definitely have a ton of interest in it. People love the fact that it looks so tropical but is actually hearty in this region and even down to his own four. So yeah, it's definitely one of our most popular perennials.
Speaker 2: That's one of the things I like most about them is you know, we have Rosa Sharon of course in shrubs and that's only hardy design five. So so a lot of people look at that and go, I would love to grow that. Well, you can totally make it up with the perennial hibiscus, get even bigger flowers, even more color, and it goes dormant in the winter.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, it's it's a pretty spectacular perennial.
Speaker 4: And it's great too for lots of different applications in those garden. I mean, if people have like a wet area, it's a perfect plant to put in a wet area. It just thrives in that condition. But it'll and it'll you know, thrive very well in clay worlds, but then it'll also grow well in sandy coils.
Speaker 5: So it's it's a pretty adaptable plant.
Speaker 2: And that's how I grow it.
Speaker 1: You know, I have.
Speaker 2: I haven't counted, but I probably have around twenty some total. I'm crazy about them and my garden. I live, you know, a very very sandy area, very full sun. I don't give supplemental irrigation, so they don't get as big. Like when I go down to your trial gardens, I'm like, whoa the potential in these things? But you know, I'm perfectly happy really with their performance even under less than ideal conditions, even if it means they only get to be you know, maybe three and a half four feet tall instead of you know, the big, lush, amazing specimens that I see, you know there and in your photos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sometimes that's not a bad thing if they don't get to their full size. And we've actually taken our breeding program more recently to intentionally selecting for hardy some of our psychhi biscuits that don't get quite as big just because you know, not everybody has a big yard where they have room for a plant that potentially could get up to you know, five feet or six feet across. So some of our newer introductions we specifically selected to only get to be about three feet wide and three feet tall. So yeah, there's you know, there's something for everybody, you know, big yard, small yards. Even if people have a big yard, these smaller selections can be put you know, more near the front or middle of the border that away.
Speaker 5: At the back.
Speaker 4: So some cool habits and colors and all of that stuff in our breeding work.
Speaker 1: So when we talk hibiscus, Laura and Stacy, I'm going to have you help me out here a moment so that we don't assume that our listeners or our viewers have a good handle on exactly what a hibiscus is. There is some confusion for folks. We have the tropical hibiscus or a hibiscus rosa sinensis, which is a plant typically brought up from Florida and May and you sell around Mother's Day, and Stacy mentioned the shrub or tree form highbiscus, which we refer to as rose of Sharon. Here, Laura and Stacey, we're talking about perennial or herbaceous perennial, hibiscus, And we're going to take a shot at the botanical name here a minute, hibiscus. And is it pronounced mosquitos as in the insect?
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 4: Laura, that would be that would be pretty cute, But it's actually Hibiscus most shootos.
Speaker 2: There you go, Okay, good, that's what I always say. But mosquitos, Yeah, that's a Spanish pronunciation.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, But for our benefit, this is an herbaceous perennial that dies back to the ground in winter. And Laura, one more time for our listeners, what's the.
Speaker 4: Pronunciation hibiscus most shootos?
Speaker 1: Okay, hibiscus most shootos.
Speaker 4: You can actually find the species growing, you know, out in the wild. I mean there's some around here in West Michigan that I see periodically, and I've seen them in other places too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a native perennial. And I think a lot of people, you know, when they see what it looks like, they just they assume it's from the tropics or from South America because it does look so tropical. And of course, plant breeding has brought out a lot of the characteristics you know, that make it much more ornament till then the wild form, but even the wild form is still very very showy and really really.
Speaker 5: What it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely dinner plate blooms now at Walter's Gardens, which is here in Michigan, Laura, when they are in flower over there, that must be quite a sight to see, it is.
Speaker 5: It's pretty spectacular.
Speaker 4: We actually have them and a few different spots in our gardens here, so we do have them kind of sprinkled throughout the garden, you know, like somebody might use in their own landscaping or gardening.
Speaker 5: But then we also have one bed.
Speaker 4: That's entirely dedicated to the hibiscus. We call it our high Biscus Hedge, and every single hibiscus in our program is lined out, and it's a great place for folks to see, you know, the differences in height and color and bloom time and have it. So it's pretty it's pretty neat to see that. And then what is really mind blowing is when they start to bloom out in our fields because then you know, you just have like acres of beautiful, gorgeous blooming head discuss so it definitely be looking at froy beans or corn.
Speaker 2: You're not going to get an argument from us on that one. So I love that you do a high biscus hedge because that's how I grow the majority of mine as well, and what works so well for me growing them, So I grow them as a hedge around my patio to provide some privacy. It's not like I'm sure if they were able to reach their full size they would give us a lot more privacy. But they provide some privacy, you know, when we're sitting on our patio. But that patio I need to shovel in the winter, and I don't want a bunch of plants that I need to worry about breaking or anything like that. So for me, the fact that they go completely dormant, the fact that they emerge very late in the season, which is something that I think surprises a lot of people. They probably are pretty much the last perennial to emerge every year. That works out perfectly because I don't have anything there. I can pile the snow, pile the ice, not worry about it, and then the snow melts and then you know, four months later, I'm in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then you can also use them, you know, if it's not a location where you're going to be shoveling snow and don't want to break things, you can leave them up for the winter. So where I have mine located in my yard is not in a place where I am worried about damaging them, so I actually leave the stems up. I don't cut them down in the fall. And when the flowers, when the petals drop off, they leave the sepals oftentimes attached to the stems, and as you get into fall, as the plant goes dormant and drops its leeves, a lot of those little peoples stay attached and eventually turn brown as to the stems. But it's it's kind of a nice winter interest plant. So I just leave mine up and when we do get snow, even though it's not as frequent here anymore in Michigan, but you know, these beautiful little stems come hoping up through the snow, and then I just cut mine down in the spring, you know, before they start to emerge again, and in a way they go.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you a crazy question about that, Laura, because I have been involved in conversations with people or in groups where this topic has come up and they have said, Okay, you can't cut them in fall and leave the stubble because the stem is kind of hollow and they're going to rot out on you, So always cut them in spring, not in fall. That's a myth, right, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: Definitely an argument that people took around. There is a little bit of validity to I'd say, more so than the fact that they're going to rot. I would say the validity is that they tend to take a while to go dormant in the fall, and the longer you leave the stems up, the more of that energy from the stems gets pulled down into the roots and crown of the plant, which helps to provide additional growth for subsequent years. So I think leaving them is not a bad thing because you can get a little bit more energy down into the crop.
Speaker 5: But it's not like it's going to you know, rot or die if you do trim in the fall.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've done it before. I know a lot of other people who do trim in the fall. Kafey said she does. And you know the plants are fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean I have again super sandy soil, so it's so well drained. I definitely do not have to worry about, you know, any rotting. And I do leave the ones that are actually in my perennial beds, you know, and in my native plant garden intact, I don't cut those back. I only cut these back just because of the shoveling. And yeah, I do wait probably until after Thanksgiving.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm a big believer too, and that you shouldn't really start messing with things until they go dormant. That you know, it gives a plant a huge opportunity to take in that let you know, that that bit of energy, and even if it's not a make or break thing, it's just kind of a like best practice, like you might as well if you can do it exactly.
Speaker 1: Yep, now, Laura, one of the benefits, there are many benefit fits to this plant. Obviously, the dinner plate blooms. But when you're planting a summarific hibiscus, would it be correct to say that here in North America you're planting a native plant? Is that correct?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: The species headschismuschudos, is definitely native. It in its native kind of environment here. It tends to grow in more swampy conditions and the blooms tend to be pink on a lot of the specimens out in the native areas here, and you know, some of them look a little bit different in the hybrids that we've created, but yes, it is a native, it is a native perennial.
Speaker 1: The available color in the hybrids is just amazing. Give us an idea as far as Summarific Hibiscus is concerned. How many different varieties do you have? What kind of colors are we talking about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so within the Summer Efic series, we have a couple of kind of subclasses. So the typical habit of the Summer effics that we select for is kind of a mounded gum drop shaped habit. But then we have a few varieties that are a little bit more narrow and upright, and we call those the crush. So within the Summer Effics series, if they have crush in their name, like Candy Crush or Valentine's Crush, those tend to be a little bit more narrow habit, more columner.
Speaker 5: In the crush.
Speaker 4: We have Candy Crush, Lilac Crush, and Valentine's Crush if I'm remembering correctly, So we have three and those are a pink with a really dark almost black eye, a nice kind of lilac color, and then Valentine's crushes of red, and then in the remaining gumdrop types summer effics. We have anything from one of our brand new introductions that we'll be able to be found at retail in spring of twenty twenty five. It's called cream and that one is a pure white, no red eye with dark almost black foliage. We have several different variations of pink, some of them have kind of a pink and white pin whale pattern to them. We have a nice dark red called Holy Grail that again has that dark almost black foliage. We have other reds that have green foliage. We have one called French Vanilla that is kind of a creamy yellow, and we're actually working on some future selections that hopefully will intensify the yellow coloration. So yeah, there's just all sorts of colors, and I think more to come in the future. We definitely have some other colors that we're going to be trying to bring into the series in the future years, so stay tuned for what we can do. I don't put you know, there's hardly anything that I would put past our breeder being able to do it. If the genetic background is there for him to do it, he will make it happen.
Speaker 2: Well, I do. If you have a quick second, I have to tell this story. So I've always been crazy about PERENNIALI biscus one of the first things I planned when I actually had my own garden. But you know, I working in the industry, I would always get free plants, and I would try to give him to people like my mother in law, and she would always just politely decline, no, no, I don't have space for that. I don't have anything in my you know, no, thank you, take it home. It's you should have it. That kind of always declined. But she loved playing candy crush, and so yeah, I was able to get a candy crush from you guys, and I, you know, I'm like, I'm gonna take it to her and I'm going to tell her, you know, if you don't want it, that's totally fine, but I couldn't resist giving this to you with his name, and her eyes just lit up. She was like it was the first plan she ever actually accepted from me as a plant gift, and they planted it and she fell head over heels in love with a high biscus like just at that after she saw candy Crush bloom in her yard, she called me up and she said, how many more can you get me? And one of the callers are there. I mean it was just like that one plant just completely made her an addict. And so I, you know, gave her I think three or four other colors and she planted all of them and they just love them. And unfortunately she did pass away. But for me, I love that I have that connection. And when candy Crush first blooms, which actually my first Candy Crush blooms just appeared this week, you know, it always brings a little tear to my eye and just like a really great memory, and you know, it's just it's it's just one of those things. I'm just so grateful that you guys gave it that name and that I was able to have that connection and just one of those things you never really know when you put something out into the world how it's going to actually impact people.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Absolutely, that's a great story. And sorry about the loss of my mother in law, but hopefully she was able to enjoy it. Oh my God before that happened.
Speaker 2: And now my father in law loves them and looks forward to them blooming every single year. But every single year he does this, calls me up in May. Those plants are dead. Those plants are dead. Are you sure? I said, no, they're gonna They're fine. They will start growing, and and then he'll call me up. Okay, they started growing, but they're really small. Are you sure they're going to be okay? Sure, they're going to be okay. And then of course, you know, August rolls around and it's just, you know, back to that incredible abundance. And honestly, watching that transition from this tiny little shoot at the end of May to just this, you know, boffo huge plant with a normal enormous flowers is like, I don't know, It's just one of the things that I like most about perennials in general, but especially the summarific hibiscus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they have such a quick growth rate. I mean, when you consider the fact that they are one of the last of a perennials to emerge, just how quickly they go from you know, nothing to five or six feet on some of the tallest varieties.
Speaker 5: They're they're so fast.
Speaker 2: It's so cool to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here in the North the epitome of a late bloomer, but when they bloom, it's magnificent, Laura. For folks who want to learn more about summarific hibiscus, where do you suggest they go?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so there's a lot of good information on the internet. There's a lot of great information on the Proven Winters website. And then we actually have a consumer facing portion of our website called Pernial Resource, and that's another great place where they can learn about the summer us. And what website is that, Laura, That is just Perennial Resource dot com.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll link to that in the show notes too for anybody who wants to hear, because that is a great website, not just for Summerrific but for all sorts of perennials. I rely on that website quite a bit myself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we Yeah, it is not just high discus on either that or the Proven Winters website. They don't we don't have a specific two hibiscus website, but yeah, either of those are great resources for my bescus and anything else that they want to research. Antonio, And I mean the.
Speaker 2: Other thing is there's you don't need a ton of knowledge to grow these, I mean, sun space water watch out.
Speaker 4: Yep, they're pretty easy once you get a planted that they just kind of take care of themselves. And yeah, they're not too bad.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. Thanks for what you do, Laura, and thank you for spending time with us.
Speaker 2: I need to know what Laura's favorite.
Speaker 5: To I was waiting for this question. I was feeling that this was going to come out.
Speaker 4: So I do have actually a quick answer, which isn't always the case, but my favorite summerfic Tybscus is actually Edge of Night. So that is a variety that we introduced probably two or three years ago now into the program, and it was kind of the first of our more compact types. So it will get up to about let's say three and a half feet, you're going a half to four feet in width and height, and it is a gorgeous kind of bubblegum pink flower on the darkest closest to black foliage of any of the varieties in the series so far. So just that color contrast between the pink and the black. It's just spectaculus, all right.
Speaker 2: I don't have that one in my collection. I'm going to have to add it.
Speaker 1: And it's a great point.
Speaker 5: Need to get that one.
Speaker 1: It's a great point that you know, all the attention is towards these dinner plate blooms, but the foliage can play a starring role too.
Speaker 5: Oh, it really does.
Speaker 4: I have three of that one planted in one of my beds on like the far back side of my yard. And I'm definitely a big folious person. Like in addition to flowers, I like to mix, you know, varying shades of purple and black and silver and chartreuse into my landscape. And those hibiscus look amazing from day one, and you know, as soon as they emerge because they have that dark pulage and it's just like a nice focal point in the landscape. And then when they start to bloom, it's even better.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's great, fantastic, Well, a pleasure to talk to you, Laura. Thanks for everything that you do, and thanks for sharing the enthusiasm that we share with you for summarific high biscus.
Speaker 4: Yep, absolutely, it was a joy being on your show.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Laura.
Speaker 2: All Right, Well, I don't know about you, but I am awfully glad I get to go home and spend the day with my summerrific high biscus here in the height of summer. So thanks so much to Laura for all that great information. Thank you Rick, and thanks Adriana, and thanks to all of you for listening. We really appreciate your support and hope you have a great week ahead.