Speaker 1: In this episode, we talk about the Dharavi Redevelopment project and a major challenge that is keeping it from moving forward. We also talk about the Supreme Court reconsidering the University Grants Commission regulations aimed at preventing cast discrimination in higher education institutions, and why it has put the government in a politically difficult position. But first we talk about a report that has revealed some concerning findings about railway stations in India. Hi, I am Aherikananda and you are listening to three things in an Express News show. For those of you who have visited a railway station recently, you may have noticed that many stations still lack some very basic amenities, including adequate seating, toilets, fans and proper signage. And last week, confirming this, the Comptroller and Auditor General tabled a report in Parliament revealed that more than eighty nine percent of the railway stations it audited lagged such amenities. The audit, which covered four years from twenty to twenty twenty four, also highlighted complaints about poor cleanliness, inadequate water availability and a lack of medical assistance. Now, when we spoke to the Indian Express's Rich Mishra. He told us that this is particularly concerning because under a provision introduced in two thousand and three, railway stations are required to provide passengers with what are known as minimum essential amenities.
Speaker 2: That means a railway station should have some basic facilities I mean that is mandatory like drinking water, tabs, seating, urinus, latterans, waiting hall, water coolers, fanclock. These are almost fifteen and sixteen kinds of facilities that has to be at a railway station.
Speaker 3: And what the findings are. The findings are very concerning.
Speaker 2: It says that there are just eleven percent of this station who have complete minimum essential amenities, I mean only eleven percent has all kinds of basic facilities that are required to be there at a railway station.
Speaker 1: He says. India's railway stations are broadly divided into two categories, suburban and non suburban, and this audit focused on non suburban stations, which are generally larger and catered to a significant number of passengers. Out of nearly five nine hundred non suburban stations across the country, the CAG audited five hundred and twelve.
Speaker 2: Also, which is much more concerning is that there are some of the very top stations of the country who have very high revenue and much more passenger football, like they have revenue over seven hundred and ten corode and the footfall ranges between one point zero three corode two more than eleven corode. Even these stations who have so much revenue and so many passenger football they even lack to these phasic facilities. And some of these stations this is very famous, like New Delhi also have this problem. Howdah Nizamudin which is in Delhi, Sekondarabad Station, Chennai Central, Ahmadabad, Chatapavaji Mahaj Terminus which is one of the biggest stations of the country, and Bengaluru, Surat and anand Vihar. So even these biggest stations does not have complete basic facilities and despite having much more revenue, much more passenger coming onto this station, they do not have these facilities.
Speaker 1: And he says that if we look more closely at the report, we find that of the five and twelve stations audited one eight eight lad even basic facilities such as drinking water taps, wedding halls were not available at the twenty one stations.
Speaker 2: There were deficiencies in number of the urinals at one hundred and eleven stations. And also whenever we visit at the railway station, you would have seen that the railway boat have mandated that there is this certain area which has to be covered, the platform of the area which has to be covered. The CAG have found efficiency in that as well. Apart from this, a sixty stations did not have a clock. One twenty eighth station had deficiencies in number of water coolers and dust beans. So these are the very basic things that railway stations did not have.
Speaker 1: But besides this, the CAG also assessed hygiene and cleanliness at these stations and found several lapses, including in the maintenance of water coolers, waste collection, pest and rodent control, and the upkeep of toilets and bathrooms. And more concerning was the fact that water samples from coolers at several major stations tested positive for ecolie.
Speaker 2: In drinking water. The presence of equal lie is a warning that seaways or animal or human fecal contamination might have entered in the water. So that is a very clear, you know sign, and the presence of equo lie Bacteria in drinking water can lead to a number of diseases to the passengers, so that is a very concerning thing. And some of the stations that have named they is that a Comber two Palakar junction Hadrabamaras terminus Biani Road Kalinna. These are the stations where equoli was found in the drinking water. And also the auditor has said the CAG has said that chemical analysis of drinking water was not conducted by health inspector at one seventy nine stations in eleven jones and was not carried out as per prescribed periodicity twice a year at seventy seven stations in six zone. And not only this, I mean there is this a clear protocol, uniform drinking water protocol which prescribed a detailed number of parameters that has to be tasted related to the drinking water. And the CAG said that none of the stations, none of the five hundred and twelve stations that they had short listed, they followed all of these parameters. It's a very clear sign of the carelessness that passenger have to drink these contaminated water and.
Speaker 1: These conditions and lack of amenities were found despite the fact that over seven hundred Coro rupees was spent on maintaining sanitation at railway stations during the four year period. Now, another problem highlighted in the report is one that unfortunately remains common in public spaces. This is the lack of facilities required for passengers with disabilities.
Speaker 2: There is a law at the national level that you know, every institution, every government institution, even the private ones, their structure should be a disabled friendly that includes stations as well. So what the CAG have found that some of the very key facilities that is important for the disabled people is like standard ramp with railing. It is very difficult for them to you know, frequent the station without having these facilities. So what the CAG have found that forty four percent of the station that they inspected were lacking the facilities like standard rampi railing. Fifty five percent of these stations did not have a separate earmarked parking lot for the disabled people. Thirty two percent of these stations did not have non slippery walkway, which is very very important. And second, fifty eight percent of these stations did not have drinking water tap on alternate water booth at each platform. So I mean it is mandatory for the railways to have these facilities because without these facilities at the stations, it would be very very difficult for the differently able people to go the station and you know, to board the train.
Speaker 1: Now he sees the last time the car conducted an audit of passenger facilities at railway stations was back in twenty sixteen, but nearly a decade later, the National Auditor found that many of the same deficiencies still persisted, despite repeated assurances from the Ministry of Railways that these issues would be addressed.
Speaker 2: One of the main reasons for this problem of not having even basic ammenities at the railway station is less monitoring of these services. So I mean railways have system in place. There is zonal level committee which is called Zonal Railway User Consultative Council and another is Divisional Railway User Consultative Consoles. So these committees they have this power of monitoring all of these facilities and they are responsible to ensure that every station should have at least complete basic facilities and both committees zonal and divisional levels they are required to meet at least three times in a year. But CAG have found that none of the division, that none of the zone and none of the division met you know met as per the prescribed periodicity that means three times in a year. So since the committees are not meeting on time, all the works related to passenger amenities are not being reviewed or not being properly monitored. And you know that is why there are a number of places like CAC said that they're not just eleven percent of the station have complete facility. So this is one of the main reasons that you know, monitoring is not being done on time. And the CAG report also shows that the budget which was earmarked for the customer amenities were underutilized during these period of twenty nineteen twenty to twenty three, twenty four. So the underutilization ranged between thirty six percent to fourteen percent during the period. And also it requires answers from the railways that why are they not expanding the budget allocated for the customer amenities. One reason for this period could be for some years could be a COVID pandemic, because there were two years between this period which was there was a heavy tool because of COVID pandemic. But what happened during the other years. So these are the key things that railway have to answer.
Speaker 1: Indeed, it says that after the report was stabled in Parliament, the government swung into action and Union Railways Minister Ashwiniweshno directed the ministry to take corrective measures including installing a new tank to tap water filtration system at around twenty thousand locations.
Speaker 2: So now this filtration system tank to tap, meaning it will monitor the water cleanness from the tank and to the tap from where passengers fill water. And also now the railwayboat has decided to monitor the water level quality at the board level in Delhi. So they have said that you know, there will be a scheduled cleaning and maintenance of a storage tank now and the progress and water quality report will be published periodically so that people also can see it and the whole thing will be monitored at the railway board level. So now the railway is essentially saying that every station of the country, the water quality of it will be monitored at the central level in Delhi. But the timeline is not yet sure that when they will do it. But the water filtration system has been ordered for twenty thousand locations at different railway stations.
Speaker 1: And next we talk about the Dharavi Redevelopment Project, one of India's most ambitious urban renewal exercises involving not only rebuilding Dharave itself, but also finding alternative land to rehabilitate residents who will not receive freehousing at the original site. And so a section of Tarave residents who are not eligible for freehousing within Tharave are supposed to be relocated to theonar On land that is currently part of Mumbai's oldest and largest landfill. But before any homes can be built there, a portion of this landfill has to be cleared, treated and certified safe and that work has not even begun. So to understand why has the deunor cleanup been delayed and what does this mean for the larger Dharavi Redevelopment project, my colleague H speaks to the Indian Expresses Pratipachar, who covers the city for the paper.
Speaker 4: They understand that the original deadline for the cleanup of the landfill was January this year, so why are we more than six months past that deadline and yet the actual remediation work hasn't even begun.
Speaker 5: So last year we did an investigation saying that how the decision of you know, relocating the citizens to active landfill was against the stipulated norms of the Central Pollution Control Board of India and it also contradicts the set environment rules that are the established government environmental rules sed by the Government of India. In the investigation, we had also flagged that the administration, the state government and all the parties that were involved, they did not carry out any environment impact assessment before allocating this land for housing project. So after the investigation came out, the government put out at tender, the BMC put out at tender saying that the way that is being piled up on those lands will be cleaned up through a scientific process called bioremediation, and the BMC had set up a three year deadline for completing this cleanup task of bio remedation.
Speaker 3: After that this housing tenements were to be built over it.
Speaker 4: And your recent investigation highlights how five of the seven clearances are still pending and several crucial applications weren't even made until months later. So why this delay?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, basically, like I said that the BMC had set up a three year deadline for cleaning that land, and in the tender document they had also mandated that all the government permissions that are required for cleaning up that land should be acquired within a six month period from the date of issuance of war order. So technically that six month deadline was supposed to get over in January this year, they were supposed to acquire all the permissions.
Speaker 3: However, the MS records show that only like most of the.
Speaker 5: Applications were filed after the January deadline got like, only one application was applied before the initian deadlanded, which was the Consent to establish the Permission for City Consent to establish certificate that was supposed to be filed with the State Pollution Control.
Speaker 4: Board and to THEE. Interestingly, when you spoke to the contractor, they said that initially they believed environmental clearance wouldn't be necessary at all because landfill reclamation is itself environmentally friendly. So how do we read that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, while speaking with us, the incl which is the contract that they had told us that we didn't know these many permissions would be requiring.
Speaker 3: They were saying that only them, which.
Speaker 5: Is the Marashtra Coastal Zone and Management Authority, they had told them that you will need from the Mangrove Cell of the state government. You will need a Wildlife and Forest NOC since that places an eco sensitive zone, and as well as you need a clearance from the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Church which is THEFCC of the Union and Ministry. As well as you need a legal clearance of the Bombay HICO because so this whole process is located and the eastern fringe of Mumbai just adjoining a water body which is a thanic creek and that is a like buffer zone for flamingos. So for that, so this many environment permissions you have to have in your place before you start the work in general, so this is where the administration I wouldn't say it was a miscommunication.
Speaker 3: I would say like they were not aware about it.
Speaker 5: They did not know that the many rules were required, because I feel the process of floating the data was a little bit happherzart Riton.
Speaker 4: Given that Donar is an environmentally sensitive site, talk about how difficult is it to clean it up.
Speaker 5: So the area which needs to be cleaned up or bio remediated is sprayed across one hundred and twenty four acres and it is a huge land person in the instance above the Mumbai and this place accounts to around almost nearly two crore one point eight five four metric tons of legacy waste, which is ninety nine years of legacy west that has been lying there, and the BMC had set up a three year deadline to clean it up, which is very ambitious because this process of bioremediation can only be carried out on drcism, which means that when there is no rail now.
Speaker 4: Bioremediation is an eco friendly process that essentially uses living organisms mainly bacteria, fungi, plants to clean up polluted environments.
Speaker 5: But in Mumbai you have already four months of rainfall, so out of the thirty six months which is three years, you have twelve months are already gone in rainfall.
Speaker 3: Like for those twelve months you cannot do anything.
Speaker 5: So you have only twenty four months or which equals to two years in your hand. So in those two years you are supposed to, you know, take away that west and process it and again.
Speaker 3: Clean that landfill and give it back.
Speaker 5: So this was a very ambitious target and initially the BMC had set up a three year deadline.
Speaker 3: But however they had taken. It seems that it's been almost a year and they are year two.
Speaker 5: I mean start the construction, because I remember the tender was floated in June last year and we're in August right now, and till date they have received only two of the seven permissions that were required.
Speaker 3: Five are still painting.
Speaker 4: And so what have the authorities said, like, where do they place the responsibility in this delay?
Speaker 5: So the authorities have clearly said that they did not know about it, and the process of clearing through all this legal ramifications would take a lot of time.
Speaker 3: That's what they are maintaining. That is the standard they are maintaining.
Speaker 4: And to deep say, even if these clearances come through and the waste is successfully cleared, can this land serve as a habitable site for thousands of people to live on?
Speaker 3: So there are multiple aspects to it.
Speaker 5: So there are the CPCB rules, and the CPCB rules have certain things. Because the CPCP rules clearly states that you cannot build a house or a see construction of housing units or hospital schools, any place that involves human interaction or human involvement in that place could not be built in a closed landfill. And there is a time period that has been given, like you have to keep that place shut for at least five to fifteen years. After that you have to carry out environment impact assessment. And if you see that there are legged which is like a chemical that spews from you know, accumulated waste, these things are there, then you have to again shut it down for five years, and then again you have to open it and then have to again carry out a baseline study. You have to carry out your groundwater study, you will carry the study of the soil components. And only after all these studies and all these places pick their boxes, then only you can build housing tenements over there. So it's a very long process of you know, securing environment permissions, securing clearances.
Speaker 4: Right and as you mentioned that twenty twenty nine deadline seems highly unrealistic. So what about the families who will be displaced? What happens to them?
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, So the taharavid De government project has a seven year deadline from the day the master plan was released.
Speaker 3: The master plan was released last year, so which.
Speaker 5: Is the deadline for the derivative project for all the houses to come up is twenty thirty two.
Speaker 3: So they have set a twenty twenty nine deadline.
Speaker 5: So unless and until that place can be cleaned up, they can't start the.
Speaker 3: Construction of houses. And unless and until they start the construction of houses, the.
Speaker 5: People who are already living in the Hrave Islam they can't be evicted, but they can't be relocated. So which means that this whole clean up process is going to delay the entire Dharavi redevelopment project in our way.
Speaker 1: And in the end we talk about the Supreme Court reconsidering the controversial University Grants Commission or UGC regulations aimed at preventing cost discrimination in higher education institutions. These are rules that have put the government in a politically difficult position by drawing objections from both upper cost groups and sections of balet and OBC communities. The Internet Expresses Ananta Krishnaji and deep Taiwantivari report that the controversy centers on Regulation three one C, which defines cast based discrimination as discrimination on the basis of caste or tribe against members of scheduled casts, scheduled tribes or other backward classes. Petitioners have argued that this excludes students and faculty from the general category from specific protection against cast based discrimination. At the same time, the broader definition of discrimination covers unfair or differential treatment on the ground of caste against any stakeholder. The issue acquired a political dimension, particularly with the Uttar Pradesh elections next year. The rules initially triggered protests among sections of the upper castes, who argued that the explicit reference to SC's sds and obsses amounted to exclusion of general category students. But after the Supreme Court stayed the regulations and revived the twenty twelve framework, there was concern within the RSS and BGP ecosystem that the issue would also generate disquiet among Dalet communities, particularly in Uttar Pradesh. Its impact was recently also felt in bunky Per Assembly bipoles in Bihar, where the uppercast dissatisfaction over the UGC issue was seen. Among key reasons for bgp's laws. The BGP has been seeking to consolidate support among Dalits while retaining its traditional uppercast support base. The UGC controversy therefore, has created an unusual situation in which objections to the same set of regulations are emerging from opposite ends of the cast spectrum. Also, the Bench had orally observed that the government must constitute a committee of eminent jurists to look into the issue. The court said there might be instances of economically well of students within a cast harassing others within the same cast and sought to know how the regulations addressed such a scenario. The CGI had mentioned that this kind of situation can be exploited by the mischievous elements in the society. Another Krishna and Deepiman report that the regulations stem from a twenty nineteen petition filed in the Supreme Court by mothers of Pyle Karve and Rohitwamula, who died by suicide over alleged cast based discrimination. In twenty nineteen and twenty sixteen. They had sought the enforcement of robust anti discrimination mechanisms across higher education institutions. You were listening to Three Things by the Indian Express. Today's episode was edited and mixed by Surish Babar and produced by Ichas Sharma and me Niharikananda. If you like the show, then do subscribe to us wherever you get your podcasts. You can also recommend the show to someone you think we'll like it, share it with a friend or someone in your family. It's the best way for people to get to know about us. You can also tweet us at Express podcast and write to us at podcasts at Indianexpress dot com