Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talking like Back, David Basse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodger Stadium after the Dodgers commit three errors in the eighth inning to open the door for a five run inning for the Cubs to come back and beat La tonight six to three. We are with you until the top of the hour, maybe a little bit after here on Dodger Talk. Phone lines are open at eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. We'll head downstairs to hear from Max Monsey and Austin Barnes. We do have a pair of tickets to give away to tomorrow night's Max Monthy bobble Head Night here at Dodgers Stadium. We'll check in with Jose Mota. Also, we had a chance to watch shoh Otani's fifth bullpen session today, we'll share that with you. And we also had a chance to catch up with Cody Bellinger and certainly always great to see Cody back at Dodgers Stadium. But tonight it was about two things. Tonight yoshiyamamotos encouraging outing his first start since June fifteenth, and he passed with flying colors, eight strikeouts in four innings. He struck out the first four batters he faced. He only gave up an urn run, and there's an argument to be made that it should not have been earned because there was a very generous scoring on a ground ball hit to Freddy Freeman that probably should have been scored in error. Instead it was scored a hit. And the Dodgers fall tonight to the cub six to three. And for the Dodgers, I've been trying to stress the fact that I know there's a lot of panic about their pitching situation for the postseason. Well, they have a lot of time between now and then to get it in order, and tonight was a great first step in that direction by not only getting Yamamoto back, but Wow, to be sitting there in three or four rows back tonight in the first inning to watch Yamamoto. He had a lot of life on his fastball. He came out throwing ninety seven ninety eight. His split fingered fastball was unbelievable tonight. The first three batters that he faced tonight couldn't touch a pitch. They did not touch the baseball. Hap, Swanson, Suzuki all struck out swinging in that first inning and did not even come close to touching the baseball, and that was the most impressive part. It was great to see Yamamoto have a lot of mound presence out there to start the game as well. It felt like at times before he got hurt, he was trying to pitch two major league hitters and maybe he felt like he was not on their level. Tonight, it looked like he leave Not only was he on their level, but certainly they had their hands full with him. So that was great to see, and unfortunately for the Dodgers he was capped at sixty pitches tonight, but at least he was efficient, being able to go four innings. The ugly tonight, obviously, was the eighth inning three errors, maybe the worst played inning by the Dodgers all season long. They had a three to one lead in that eighth inning. That started to unravel, in our opinion, in the bottom of the seventh inning when Andy pa Haz was picked off first base. That's inexcusable and that's not going to earn Paz more playing time. Also in the eighth inning, on the base hit by Suzuki, well, let's go back a little bit further. The throwing air by Austin Barnes inexcusable as well. That opened the door for that five run eighth inning. It was a ball hit in front of the plate by Dan's Swanson. He threw wide to Freddie Freeman. He was upset at himself. He was even more upset at himself after the tying runs came around to score after Tommy Edmond threw a ball into the camera as well. And the way Dave Roberts explained it was and it kind of appeared that way that Max Munsey was not in position to make a play. He was on the outfield side of the third base bag. He was in bad position to field that ball and it got by him. And Evan Phillips was caught in no man's land because he was backing up home plate and he can't be everywhere. So that was an unfortunate sequence of events. And then later in the inning, after the Dodgers intentionally walk Cody Bellinger, Michael Bush at a ground ball to key Y Hernandez. He was charging in and try to tag the speedy Bellinger, but he did not have the ball secured before he was trying to tag Bellinger. What he should have done was secure the baseball and get the easy out at first inning at first base. So that was unfortunate as well. But that's not something we have seen all season long from the Dodgers. You would not expect to see that type of inning again by the Dodgers, but it happened tonight in the eighth inning. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from Dodger catcher Austin Barnes. His air started that five run eighth inning.
Speaker 3: Good, I'm a motive.
Speaker 2: Look, yeah, it was really good. Stuff was good.
Speaker 4: That's probably one of the best stuff I've seen from.
Speaker 5: I think the reporter was this Canan tonight.
Speaker 2: How surprising is that? Just concidering how much layoff he's had.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean everything looking at his fastball is curveball, the split. Uh yeah, it was pretty surprising. I don't know how it was gonna look at coming back from this and uh day look better than ever.
Speaker 6: I think, not just where you guys are at in the season, just how important is it when you not only get an arm back like him. I know that tip class house working this way as well, but to see the stuff where it's at, especially just considering where we are in the season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a big boost. Yeah, he's just he's a really good pitcher, you know, giving us coming back obviously wasn't going to get built up or anything. And he went out there any through the ball really well, just the way you can and uh, just to have him out there.
Speaker 2: And is anybody going to ask about the.
Speaker 4: The team and looking forward to soon more.
Speaker 6: Obviously, how this game ended was incredibly frustrating. You can see it on everyone. Just can you describe, I guess kind of from your perspective, how things just kind of played out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's horrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one's on me.
Speaker 4: I gotta make that play and then you know it changes the whole inning. Yeah, you know runner our first and runner a second. It's a lot different pitching. Just the whole inning was get screwed up, all right.
Speaker 2: There's Austin Barnes on sports ne LA. Now see that's a perfect example of how any Dodger cannot complain about the LA media. If this was New York, Boston or even Chicago, they would have been all over Austin Barnes with the questioning they would not have just talked about yama Moto. Yamamoto after that eighth inning was to me a secondary story at that point in time. Yes, big picture, it's great that yama Moto came back and he pitched well. But for anybody in a Dodger uniform to ever complain about the LA media, I mean, that doesn't happen anywhere else. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I mean, come on, the eighth inning was the biggest story of tonight's game. Yama Moto, big picture, we could talk about it tomorrow, but tonight, that eighth inning, we're talking about tonight's game. With the Padres winning, the Diamondbacks winning, the Dodgers gave away a game and they really could have put a stranglehold on this division race. They're still very much in control of this race because there is only seventeen more games to go and their magic number is at thirteen. So by no means do I believe they're giving away this division the way they gave away this game in the eighth inning. But certainly they could have had the hammer down on the Padres and Diamondbacks, because the more wins the Dodgers get, the more pressure that you put on the Padres and Diamondbacks with the calendar their opponent and working against them. All right, let's go out to the phones. Edwin was at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, Edwin, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Ah?
Speaker 3: I did, yeah, great, bought him on. Heard to tonight. I guess from where I was standing, at least in the eighth inning, I was obviously I still think Yamamoto should have gone into this fifth if he was doing.
Speaker 2: He was not going to He had not pitched since June fifteenth, He had not thrown more than fifty pitches in the minor leagues. He was not going out there for the fifth inning, Edwin. Everybody was aware of that going into the game tonight.
Speaker 3: I totally get that, and that's I think. I think Brian brains Will looked pretty good. But I was in the eighth inning and I saw it just seemed like the players were pressing for Philip, Like when Kike had the ball in his glove and tried to get the tag out and just drop the ball. It just seemed like it was just I don't know. It just seemed like the players are pressing to at that.
Speaker 2: Point, pressing, Yeah, trying to do too much at that point in time. I agree with you at that point in time, But early in the inning, I would not say they were pressing. It was just a snowball effect of trying to do too much right there and being out of position. Thanks for the phone call, Edwin appreciated. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Not only did Austin Barnes make a poor throw on a ball that should have been an easy out Dansby Swanson the first batter that Phillips was facing, but then Saya Suzuki hits a base hit to center field. So Vessio walked Hap to start the inning, and then Dave Roberts went to Evan Phillips to come in and face those string of hitters. The air by Barnes, then the single by Suzuki led to the game being tied. Because this is not me talking, this is the manager saying that Max Munsey was out of position on the outfield side of the third base bag. Here was Max Mounsey after the game on Sports and at LA and hopefully. The first question is about the eighth inning and not about Yamamoto.
Speaker 8: It's good to see yoshiback. You know, we've been missing him, so it's nice to see him come back. And you know, his stuff looked really sharp because Fila was there, the execution was there, so it was good to see. Now, it was a frustrating way to lose that game. So the others said about that, brother, did you.
Speaker 5: Think Miguel was going to cut that off?
Speaker 3: Of what sort of happened on.
Speaker 8: That fliy, I mean it was thrown right at him, and yeah.
Speaker 9: I thought he was going to catch it, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks talking.
Speaker 10: About I didn't want to see you guys will playoff. We think it was a Niel like ninety.
Speaker 11: We're trying to step back there kind of you kind of clean that up here these last couple of weeks, since you guys get closer to October.
Speaker 9: I made a lot of mental mistakes.
Speaker 6: Now we got to eliminate that.
Speaker 8: I think it's the biggest thing where he's got a clear heads come back tomorrow.
Speaker 12: Plague again.
Speaker 13: Nice, what'd you thinking about you Ma Naga?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 8: No, he was good. You know, he maybe missed on a couple of pitches he was trying to execute. But you know I was I thought it.
Speaker 5: Was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the first question was about Yamamoto. Look, I'm all in on Yamamoto and it being a big deal that he came back tonight. But when you're talking to two key players, I make key mistakes in the eighth inning that cost the Dodgers the game to a certain extent. It's the eighth inning tonight. It really is. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Danny, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, Danny, you're on Dodge your talk.
Speaker 11: Hey Dave, thanks for get to be on the Do you want to talk about too? I do want to talk about yama motive, but we could talk about the aph D a little bit and kind of looks like the like the little league team, like the maybe like the Wildland Nills Dodgers or the West Comino Dodgers or something.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Playing there did the thought, Yeah, what was your thought?
Speaker 11: Well, my thought as far as both having to do with the saved ap with Austin Barnes, you know he's he's a pretty good defensive catcher. But my thought was on that play, it was very similar to the day that he broke his toe. He made a very similar play on a air and throw on a very similar play, and I'm just wondering maybe tonight the toe might have something to do with that, because I know he wasn't down that long and you know, don't don't yell that fast. So I just wanted to sound like him to make that type of play, and maybe the tostill bothering him today. Other than that, I mean, t K he's got to give one out there back and they gotta figure that just had a bad It's gonna happen. But yeah, Yamamoto, he was something else man. I was right to have a Dodger tech guy electric to night. He was kind of a weird game. It was like a big league rehab game where we knew it was on you go a few innings. But he looked amazing. When he struck out what seven or eight of the first face, I think and stuff like that is going to get it done. And I think that maybe people are sleeping on just how good this guy really is. But that was really impressive to see the way his today. They could not even touch him game, they couldn't touch him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big picture, that was really encouraging and hopefully that continues. And like I said, everybody was panicking over whether or not glass Now and yama Moto would be ready for the postseason. I'm a firm believer. If you only have one healthy, you have that version of yama Moto going into the playoffs with Jack Flaherty, You're in a pretty good spot as far as I'm concerned. So to me, all you need is either glass Now or Yamamoto healthy. And if it's Yamamoto and that version of it, I think the Dodgers are in a good spot with Jack Flaherty and Yamamoto as your first two starters.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's excited to be to look forward to they can keep it up.
Speaker 4: But I'll take.
Speaker 11: Glass Now too, man even a Stone or Kershaw as well. But yeah, you're definitely right to start, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Danny, Thanks for the phone call. I would say right now, glass Now is more of a sure thing than Kershaw or Gavin Stone. Gavin Stone still is not going to pick up a baseball for another seven to ten days. Kershaw is keeping his arm moving, but they're there. Doesn't seem much improvement in that left big toe, so we'll see whether or not that happens before the end of the season. There's a real chance that he may be limited in any capacity coming out of the bullpen, or if he starts a game, maybe being piggybacked with another starter. And speaking of that, Tony Gonsolin, remember him, Tony Ganza. He was out here at Dodgers Stadium on the last homestand throwing off the mound here in over a year, and it wasn't a coincidence. There was a lot of Dodgers medical staff and player personnel people watching him throw here, and with all the technology they have here in the stadium, they wanted to measure where Gonsolin was well. He must have passed the test because tonight Tony Gonsolin made his first rehab start since undergoing Tommy John surgery a year ago. He went two innings tonight for Oklahoma City. So he definitely is a possibility coming down the stretch here to be some part of this pitching staff. We'll see where it goes between here and by the time the Dodgers have to set their playoff roster. But there's a purpose to Tony Gonsolin's starting tonight in Oklahoma City. It's not just part of the process. It is part of the process, but it's not for necessarily next year. It could be meaning that the Dodgers have some urgency here eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Cubs six to three. We got to give a local kid some love tonight. Peter crow Armstrong made amazing plays in center field tonight in right center in center field. We all know about the catch he made to end the game tonight. Just an incredible player tonight for the Dodger for the Cubs out of Harvard Westlake. So tip of the cap to a local kid, Peter crow Armstrong, who certainly made a difference for the Cubs in the outfield with his defense because there were a few balls out there that could have gone for extra base hits, and certainly Munsey's two run home run. Nobody asked Munsey about that either the catch crow Armstrong made on him to end the game, it would have been a two run home run and the Dodgers would have been one run down against the relief pitcher that obviously wasn't feeling one hundred percent physically, so he certainly saved the day for the Cubs. The Dodger defense let them down and Peter Crow Armstrong's defense in center field picked them up to help beat the Dodgers tonight six to three. Let's go out to Pat in Oxnard. You're on Dodger Talk, Hi, Pat?
Speaker 10: Hey, how you doing. I'm a Cubs fan, and I'm sorry out here in California for out here in California for a while, I got to go to the game last night. I couldn't go tonight. I would have loved to have been there tonight.
Speaker 2: Man, a lot of Cubs coming Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Cup fans pretty much, you know, support every every town they travel around. Plus there's just a lot of Cup fans transplanted, you know, live in different areas. So every every time I go, I've been to like over half the Major League ballparks and I've been to Dodger Stadium before. I loved going to games here. But the reason I was calling, I was a little surprised last night to Dodger fans. I was talking to disappointed they are and listening on the radio last night and tonight I mean, you know, Dodgers have such a great organization, such a great team. You guys should try to being a Cub fan. Sometimes you want to talk about being disappointed.
Speaker 2: There we go pack give them some.
Speaker 10: Exactly. I mean, we're four games out of the wild Card and we're all excited about it. You know, you guys have the best records or second best record of Major League International League anyway, probably pretty close to all of baseball. And uh, you know, just an incredible team that your top of your lineup I call a murderers rope, you know. I mean, those guys are all all stars, probably all of famers for Geraldtani and Mooky Bets and everything. So and at the bottom of the lineup, the averages drop off a little, but the power is there. I mean, every one of those guys is a home run threat pretty much. So yeah, I just I just want to let you guys know, I'm really impressed with the Dodgers organization and the team. I know, you got a ton of injuries, and that's part of the game. It's just something you gotta gotta deal with.
Speaker 2: But see, there you go, a nice midwesterner calling in and complimenting the opposing team appreciate the phone call, Pat, and it's great to hear from a fan of the Cubs or any other fan base that can give Dodger fans who have been spoiled since twenty thirteen some perspective. And you know, I was I was tempted to bring up the failed dynasty, but you're such a nice guy. I won't do that.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 10: Well, Well, like I said, I've been Cub fan all my life, forty years.
Speaker 14: I'm used to it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you got to see them win in twenty sixteen. Pat, I'm glad you got to enjoy that. That's enough Cubs talk now. Okay, I gotta go. I can't do this anymore.
Speaker 10: You got a brother, Okay.
Speaker 2: Pat, thanks for the phone call. Such a nice guy. See there you go, Dodger fans. That's the perspective of a lifelong Cubs fan who obviously has had a lot of losing in his life and certainly puts everything in perspective. But the standard obviously in Los Angeles sport or is a little bit higher than Chicago sports. I know, outside of that six year run for the Bulls, they really haven't had that much success in that city. Of sports. Let's go out to Ed. Who is that Dodger stadium tonight? I hope you appreciated what that Cubs fan had.
Speaker 12: To say, Ed, Yeah I did. I'm a big Cubs fan from way back to But you're a Cubs fan too, well, who isn't right? They're a great organization. I'm a Dodger fan all the way, right, I'm born and raised in California.
Speaker 2: Though, I'm confused. Hold on, I'm confused. You said you're a Cubs fan. Who wouldn't be, and then you just said you're a Dodger fan. So you like the Dodgers and the Cubs?
Speaker 11: Correct?
Speaker 12: Yeah, both organizations. And you know, watching Ernie Banks play when I was a kid, you know who can play like that man did?
Speaker 2: Right? He was a great player play, but I heard he was great.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but congratulations on you given the guy props for center field. The guy just killed us today and he played well yesterday. He had that error, but he's gonna be a great player. Of that kid, and it was great tonight.
Speaker 2: He saved the day for the Cubs because not only Robbie Munsey of that two run home run, but there was some miscommunication and a lot of ground to cover out there and right center field between him and Bellinger.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and that's what I liked about it. And he got to jump on those balls that were hit well and he put a stop to him. So that guy's got a future too that he touched us up today.
Speaker 2: Yep, thanks for the phone call, ed appreciate it. By the way. On that home run robbing catch that ended the game by crow Armstrong, those home run seats, I love him. I strongly encourage you, if you have not sat there for a game, to sit there for a game because it gives you a perspective on the game that you don't have sitting anywhere else at Dodgers Stadium. So I always urge people that want to come to a game just try it out there and you will fall in love with it. But with those home run seats come some of these fans that are very eager to catch the home run balls, and that was the case tonight on the ball hit by Munsei that Crow Armstrong caught. He robbed Munsey's two run home run not only just trying to make the catch over the wall, but there were two fans who got their arms in the way and somehow, some way, the ball missed their arms and went into Crow Armstrong's gloves. So not only was he fighting the elements, he was fighting fans that were trying to catch the home run. And those two fans I saw the replay at first, they had their arms over the wall trying to catch the ball. They pulled it back I think just in time, but just in case you don't know the rules, and Rick Monday and Steven Nelson confirmed it for me. In a situation like that, if you're reaching over the wall and you touched the baseball, well, in fair play, the Dodger player will be called out. So if those fans had their arms over the wall and touch the ball when they had their arms reaching over, Munsey would have been called out and those fans would have been public Enemy number one on their way out of this game. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Robert, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi Robert, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: Hi Dave, good to talk to you. I think you've been spot on tonight with everything you talked about. Particularly, I want to draw attention back to a comment you made about the Andy pattera is not getting his uniform dirty in the seventh and how that kind of rolled in over into the eighth inning.
Speaker 3: I do think that.
Speaker 9: I never talked about effort with professional athletes. I would never ever accuse a professional athlete of not giving effort. But I think there was a difference in investment between the Cubs and the Dodgers tonight.
Speaker 3: When you look at crow.
Speaker 13: Armstrong, the place he was making, Yeah, they were amazing and they made what four of them, But the defense that he was a member of was just overall solid all night, which is more than can be said at the Dodgers and being at the stadium, I was hoping that at some point during the game the Dodgers would kind of treat that personally and show them that they can play defense too, and.
Speaker 9: Instead the opposite happened. So that was frustrating for me. I want to get in a positive before I stopped talking here, one that hasn't been talked about too much, And what a great game offensively for Edmund and the two home runs. I was surprised that Aim and I get threw him another fastball after he hit the first one out Edmund said thank you very much and hit it out again, and that was a very exciting moment to stand up and wave goodbye to that baseball in the stands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a great night for Tommy Edmund. Not only did he tie the game in the bottom of the second inning with his first home run as a Dodger, but then he hit his second home run as a Dodger off of Emanaga in the fourth inning to give them a lead. So yeah, that was nice. And Steven Nelson, who obviously follows the league out there in Japan, he had the great scanner report on Emanaga that he was prone to giving up the home run ball over there, and we saw that tonight. The three runs the Dodgers scored off at Emaaga were home runs, two by Edmund and the other by Max Munsey. But Ima Naga has had an incredible season, his first in Major League baseball. He's now thirteen and three with an ERA now that is under three or just over three now three oh three. So he's had a great year. And the Cubs would not be just four games out of the last wildcard spot without having a guy like Imanaga on their staff. Eight six six ninety seven two, five seventy is the phone number. When we continue here on Dodger Top, we will hear from Jose Mota. Also we'll let you hear from Dave Roberts again about why Anthony Banda had to be placed on the il before the game tonight with a fracture in his left pitching hand. We'll fill you in and also we have a pair of tickets to give away for tomorrow night's game against the Cubs. Dodgers fall to the Cubs tonight six to three on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 14: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Vasse.
Speaker 1: August first pitch, Edmund swings again, drives of all left center field, carrying back, carrying back.
Speaker 2: Bro I'm strong at the wall. It's out it air. Tommy Edman has done it again. Tommy Edmond with his first two Dodger home runs in the same game, tying the game up in the second inning and then giving the Dodgers a two to one lead in the fourth inning, both off a Shotta Imanaga. Unfortunately, three errors in the eighth inning costs the Dodgers tonight as the Cubs come from behind to beat the Dodgers six to three. And the Cubs have won the first two games of this series, so the Dodgers looking to salvage the final one before they head out on the road again to Atlanta and Miami. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. We are going Dodger Talk overtime. We are taking you to eleven thirty tonight. We still have a pair of tickets to give away to tomorrow night's game, Max Munsey Bobblehead Night. We will hear from Jose Mota as well. But if you were listening to the show the last couple of nights, I had relayed what Dave Roberts was saying as far as a plan for Bruce Star Gratterol to be activated. Dave Roberts had said yesterday that Grattarol was going to be activated tomorrow and be available for tomorrow's game. Well, about forty minutes before first pitch tonight, we got word from the Dodgers that they had activated Bruce star Gratterol, but surprisingly had put Anthony Bonda on the il with a fracture in his left pitching hand. And last night Bonda did not pitch particularly well. We all speculated that, you know, we've heard this before where pitchers let their emotions get the best of them. They're not thinking and sometimes punch a wall or something with their pitching hand, and that is not five beta Kappa. And apparently that's what Anthony Bonda did last night and unfortunately has a hairline fracture in his left pitching hand. And here's what Dave Roberts had to say after tonight's game about what took place with Bonda.
Speaker 15: It's a hairline fracture. Fortunately, unfortunately it's just throwing hand and I don't know, you know when he's going to return, but obviously it's an eyel situation and it's going to be a few days to I think it's a few days without throwing and then hopefully we can build him back and you know, the hope is to get him back at some point in time this year. It was a moment of weakness and frustration where he decided to take on a solid object that ultimately won the battle. So it was something that emotions kind of played into it, you know, with the outing that he had last night, and it's something I know he regrets, we all regret, and he'll learn from it.
Speaker 14: Happens it did it well.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Yeah, I guess. We don't know what the immovable force was. But Anthony Bonda unfortunately let his emotions get the best of him. And he has been a workhorse for the Dodgers, throwing forty seven and a third innings in forty six appearances. So he certainly has been valuable for the Dodgers and another one of those pictures that was a cast off by another organization, and Connor McGinnis, Mark Pryor and the rest of the Dodgers really gave him second life on his career. So it's unfortunate this happened last night, but it does show that Bonda cares. But you got to find a way to channel your frustration in a different way. So I like Anthony a lot. He's a great guy and certainly has overcome a lot in his life, and I really enjoy talking to him, and unfortunately this happens, so hopefully he gets back sooner rather than later. And when you hear about a left handed relief pitcher for the Dodgers have a unusual injury occur, I automatically think about the two thousand and six Playoffs when Joe Bimel cut his hand on a bar glass in New York before Game one of that series in six. So that's what I think about as the most unusual pitching injury to a Dodger left handed reliever. Certainly this is not the playoffs, and Banda was not doing anything outside of the field, but that's what I think about when you talk about left handed relievers for the Dodgers. Joe Bimel before Game one of the six nlds in New York. The public first story was that he cut his hand in the hotel bathroom because he dropped a glass in the sink, and then the story came out that he was somewhere else and that's how he cut his left hand and was not available. And that was one of his best seasons for the Dodgers. And they missed him. Anyway, that's some background on some wacky lefty reliever injuries. Let's head out to Jose Mota.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, I'm not going to make the same mistake I criticized the LA media making earlier today. So let's start with that eighth inning. Where did it all fall apart? Was it the Barnes err was Muncie at a place He said he thought Rojas was going to cut the ball off from Edmund. Take us through what you saw as far as the biggest faux pause of.
Speaker 5: That eighth inning anticipation, that's number one. And it started with a walk. That's where everything really started. Against a team that is playing for something. Evan Phillips continued to have a hard time getting out, you know, fighting it to get out. But Austin Barnes knows well that you know, on that top of situation, you got to take your time to know that you're going to be throwing inside the bag and you can take your time and actually allow yourself to miss on the inside if you need to. And the ball just got away from him. But you know, David. We can break it down all we want. They just didn't play good baseball. They didn't throw the ball well they needed to throw it on the third base play, and the throw what Meggie Rojas did was right because you want to go out and throw that decoy at the runner, I think you're going to cut it off, so keep it at first base. But you have to do The third basement is you got to follow the flight of the ball and understand that no matter what he does, your responsibility is to follow the flight of the ball because if he doesn't cut off, you have to be able to get to the baseball and then stop the guy from taking the extra base and the other guy from getting to seven base So bad combination. I'll say this very lightly, and when things like this do happen this close to the end of the season, is not necessarily a bad thing. Is bad that they lost, the game got away from them there. But these things need to be addressed, and some times they're ignored a not addressed unless you see something like this happen. I hope you understand what I'm saying, so they know what they need to do better. They need to clean it up and certainly as Earl starts with going out there and just not given the opposing team just opportunities to score, play, catch, follow the ball. Annoyd excuses, follow the follow the path of the baseball. Understand that throw to your right or left five or six feet off, you have to track it, no matter what.
Speaker 2: I agree with you as well to a certain extent, Evan Phillips having a hard time to get out three errors made behind him doesn't help things. I'm not saying that it wasn't on the defense, but part of the reason why the Dodgers love swinging miss relievers are for these type of innings where you take away the chance of a fielding error behind you, and the only strikeout that Phillips was able to get in that inning was getting Isaac Parides looking for the first out. Where is the swinging miss from Evan Phillips?
Speaker 5: These days, we've been wondering where that pitch is? I mean, where's that pitch? Where those pitches? You know, the fastball command is the one thing that gets him where he needs to be, and the pitch that he threw paraders there inside. I think it was almost a mistake where he did not want to be missing inside and a guy who's been pulling the ball is hard throughout the whole series, the first two games. David's a mystery to me. I know that it's still in there. Is not a lack of velocity, is not a lack of anything else. I think the finish has not been there. Maybe the extra life of ninety seven that is supposed to be feeled to, you know, perception of ninety nine. It's not there at all. But there's no doubt as as they played against him. We also need to see a better version of Phillips. And I'm not throwing this on him that this is the conversation as to why the Cubs were able to do the one thing teams are looking to do in that situation, which has put the ball in play and make them catch a baseball. It's great to have sing the miss guys, but what are you going to do when they don't have that? You got to go out there and play better baseball behind them.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us on Dodger Talk after the Cubs use a five run eighth inning to beat the Dodgers tonight six to three. The Dodgers' magic number remains at thirteen with seventeen more games to go, and before we go any further with Jose Mota right now, caller thirteen at eight, six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five, seventy will win a pair of tickets to tomorrow Night's Max Monsey Bobblehead Night. Caller thirteen, that's Monsey's jersey number. You will win a pair of tickets to tomorrow night's game, Monthsey Bobblehead Night. All right, Jose, The best part in the big picture of tonight's game was the start Yamamoto gave them and showed them four innings, eight strikeouts through fifty nine pitches. How does he build upon this? Because tonight was great, but they need more of this. If the Dodgers want to get through October.
Speaker 5: They beat need more of this. But for college Yamamota today he was actually doing what he has been doing he in his starry career, which is he believes in the long toss in his mechanics are as solid and as fluid and as consistent as he has been throughout the season. The last of the Fastball Live on the Fastball and the sequencing of pitching was pretty impressive considering that first battle goes down on the curveball. Then he's got a splinner. He throws fastballs located well when guys are looking for something else soft, and then the splitter too, which is something he learned a lot more from talking to Kodai Singa. The Mets that church in New York was about starting it in certain parts of the play that are not so predictable to the riot of batters, meaning in her third day or not swinging at that earlier in the year, he started going on the outer third and now was running to the middle of play. It looks more like a striker. Sometimes it looks like a slider. But he threw it pretty hard to do his heart as ninety three. Very encouraging a night with the dollars beat themselves. At least we know that there's no concerns about this guy building up and being able to carry this on to his next star, because certainly the days were coming to an end. But to have this foundation on the way he threw the ball today, it's very encouraging.
Speaker 2: It felt like he had the mound presence tonight that we have not seen from him consistently.
Speaker 5: You were right about that when I was coming in and listening to the show. There's a time in which you can sometimes since guys trying to get a feel for who they are and if they belong or not. And it doesn't matter what happened in Japan. He's won three equivalents with the sad young over there he's watching him, says, but yeah, that feel for I belong here. And Nmber two that he had pitched very well against the Cubs and today he was a little bit different. He was not as curveball heavy as he was back in April, but he certainly did. They have that presence of the matter and the great pace. And one thing I'm going to encourage fans and for you to look at watch him warm up between innings and you know and understand why he is so good and what he does in spoting the baseball. But there's a power pitcher who throws strikes and a lot of quality strikes and all stars by the way he does obviously between stars, but watching between innings, every single pitch he throws has a purpose behind it, and that's what he's able to repeat that during the game because in the same scenario, just with the hit him in the batter's box.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose. I was sitting about three rows behind the home plate tonight in that first inning to watch Yamamoto with our old friend Doug Crecoryan. Yes, Doug Grecoryan is still alive, Jose Mota.
Speaker 1: I gave him a.
Speaker 5: Big ol' huck when I saw him. I like, you gotta come by the booth, my friend, don't disappear on us. About the legend Bessey, the big old days with the big mac. Oh my god, those are great memories, are you?
Speaker 2: Are you surprised that Doug has made it this long in life?
Speaker 5: No, because he's always had you in the wing man so uck. He's got you to polk him every single time to say, hey, I'm still here. But he's not going anywhere. But it's great to see him part of pretty much LA history right there along with you.
Speaker 2: No doubt. Jose, thanks a lot for checking in. We'll talk to you tomorrow night as the Dodgers will have the Illinois Kid on the Mount, Bobby Miller going up against the Cubs.
Speaker 5: Hey, you know what, you got to clean it up and move on. As Mike Socialist say, fill the paint and get to the next one.
Speaker 16: Turn that page.
Speaker 2: I like that, Jose. Thanks there he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. And yes, the old Herald Examiner Long Beach Press Telegram columnist Doug Recorying was out here. One of my early mentors and still a great guy that I talked to often. He was hosted by the great Lon Rosen tonight. So I love seeing Doug Recrying out here and it's always great to share that eighty years young, he is still rolling. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number we have our winner caller thirteen Tony in LA. You win the pair of tickets to Monsey Bobblehead night tomorrow. Congratulations, Thank you David.
Speaker 16: That's very exciting winning these tickets.
Speaker 12: And what makes it even more exciting Max Moncy Bobblehead giveaway.
Speaker 11: Don't want to miss that.
Speaker 10: I can add it to my collection.
Speaker 2: Look forward to having you out here tomorrow night. Tony, thanks for listening, and it's all courtesy of Dodgers Radio and five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 12: All right, well, thanks again.
Speaker 2: Have fun. We'll talk to you tomorrow. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Cubs tonight six to three. I had a chance to catch op with Taoscar Hernandez as he was coming out for batting practice earlier today, the first time he's taken swings outside, and he told me, yes, he will be back in the lineup tomorrow. So ti Oscar Hernandez, who is hit by a pitch in the first game of this homestand will return to the Dodgers starting lineup tomorrow night. So that's great news for the Dodgers. Also, I had a chance to head out to the Dodger bullpen before the game. That's where show Hey Otani was headed. Otani was throwing another bullpen session today. Otani threw his fifth bullpen session in his recovery from his second elbow surgery. Today's bullpen session was twenty pitches, and that was the first time I made the effort to go down there to watch him throw. I was amongst the people out there watching Otani's bullpen session. He gets a bigger crowd for his bullpen sessions than most guys get for their starts across the country. It was really a sight to behold if you're ever here. Early enough and Otani is throwing a bullpen session. I strongly recommend you just taking it all in because he really is one of the top ten all time great players, and he's leading off tonight and he is still coming back from elbow surgery with the intention to pitch next year. So that was pretty cool to see. And I took some video that you can see on my Instagram page at officially vasse and on x at the Real Underscore dv at twenty pitch bullpen session for Otani. It was the fifth bullpen session he has thrown in his recovery. Let's go back out to the phones, Bob in Malibu. Thanks for being patient, Bob.
Speaker 5: You're on Dodger Talk, David vasse Man.
Speaker 16: Always great to be on here with you, and now I'm even a bigger fan here is knowing that your inspiration and mentor is a fellow Armenian.
Speaker 2: That's right, Doug Gregorian. Him and Joe McDonald were quite a combo back in the day on LA Sports Talk Radio.
Speaker 16: Love it always in favor of Team Armenia. Here, Michael tonight is nothing more than just look. It took a Chicago fan and Pat earlier to tell us Dodger fans, remain positive, stay in the light. We're getting to watch one of the greatest players in the history of the game playing in our home stadium maybe plus games a year. Let's not take this for granted. We've got a great team here. Always going to stay positive about this team in Blee Blue, knowing that going forward we're going to do things. I just want to put the challenge out there to every other Dodger fan that goes to these games. When we see players that are struggling in our lineup are on our mound, it's time to stand up and give these players an ovation. It's time to let these players know how much we appreciate them as Dodger fans. That's what I'm putting out there tonight, David Basse, Do you agree with me?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I've seen it before, especially in postseason games, where this crowd sellout crowd will pick up this team and give them the energy they need in big moments. So I'm looking forward to that in October. Thanks for the phone call, Bob, appreciate it. Let's take one more phone call before we wrap things up. Lewis or Louise in La You're on Dodger talk. How you doing, Luis?
Speaker 16: I mean, David, I'm good, just a little disappointed with what today's lost.
Speaker 2: I can tell you're bumped out over that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but why do they put Kik at second base?
Speaker 16: Like s?
Speaker 10: So don't you think they put Chris Taylor instead?
Speaker 2: Key K came in, he was in the game, They moved some guys around, and that's where he was at in the eighth inning. And key K, you know, he hasn't played a lot of second base, but he's a really good defensive player no matter where you put him. He was starting at second base tonight. So I had no issues with Kei k being there at the end of the game. He was trying to do too much. He was just trying to do too much, Luis, That's all it was. And it was unfortunate the way it went down. But I don't I don't foresee that type of inning happening again the rest of the year. How about that?
Speaker 10: Well, cross our fingers and I hope you have a good night.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks for the phone call. Look, the Dodger defense has been really good ever since they acquired Tommy Edmond and put him at center and shortstop and you got Mookie Bets in right field, Gavin Lux has been playing really good defense at second Keik has been great at third base or wherever you put him. So it was just one of those unfortunate nights. Honestly, at that point in time, that was just the icing on the cake. The inning turned with the walk to Hap to start the inning by Vesia and then the throwing error by Austin Barnes and Max Munsey not anticipating where that ball was going on the base hit by Saya Suzuki and the throw by Tommy Edmunds. So that's where it kind of turned. Speaking of defense, Peter crow Armstrong for the Cubs outstanding tonight and he's got a pretty good right fielder next to him. And Cody Bellinger who has won a Gold Glove with the Dodgers in center field. And earlier today on the pregame show, we had a chance to catch up with Cody Bellinger not only on the pregame show but also on our AM five to seventy LA Sports Instagram Live series presented by Navvy and High Efficiency Tankless water Heaters. And here's what Cody had to say about the bond he still has with a lot of his Swarmer Dodger teammates. Can you describe the brotherhood you have with those group of players because you went through so much together at such a young age.
Speaker 7: Yeah, man, absolutely, I think you know, we had such a really cool core group, unique core group. I mean we were, I mean still so close, and you know our wives are so close and you know, been blessed to kind of go on some trips with them.
Speaker 11: We all got.
Speaker 7: Kids now, and it's pretty pretty wild man, the ride we went on, and you know, we're all staying in touch.
Speaker 2: You know, I loved seeing Corey Seeger when he came out here, and he did admit to me. He doesn't admit too many things, but he did admit it was sweet beating the Astros last year. How much do you keep in touch with Corey Seeger because we all still have the back to back Rookies of the Year t shirt they gave away here.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, me and Sieger really close. You know what an unbelievable player and another great postseason. And you know, I think when the light shine the brightest, you know, he really brings out the best version of himself. And he's done it a few times. And you know, just was you know, a great teammate, and yeah, we still one of the guys. We still you know, keep in touch and was a part of that core group for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, there was Cody Bellinger who was a big part of the core group from twenty seventeen until twenty twenty two. He came up with so many big hits, twenty seventeen National League Rookie of the Year, twenty eighteen NLCS MVP, the twenty nineteen National League MVP, Silver Sluggers Gold Gloves, coming up big in that NLDS series Game five against the Giants. It goes on and on, and a lot of times sometimes you become a better player when you do get traded or you do sign with a different team. And I feel like Cody Bellinger and the Dodgers were at a crossroads when they made that decision, and I feel like Cody bell has been better for it. Sometimes you need a change of scenery, not only coming to the Dodgers, but a lot of times you kind of need a wake up call in your career in different ways as well. And I feel like just talking to Cody the few times that we have seen him this year about going back to Wrigley in April. There is really a greater sense of maturity about Cody, and he even admitted that in our conversation today that he just knows who he is as a hitter a lot better than he did even before last season started. And I think we all take for granted how young Cody was when he came up with the Dodgers and made a huge impact from his rookie season on. He's only twenty nine years old. Can you believe that Cody Bellinger, who made his major league debut in twenty seventeen, is only twenty nine years old and he can kN opt out of his contract at the end of the year, So he's a far ways from being done as a player. He's just entering his prime. And today or this season, he's had to deal with a couple of big injuries. He broke a rib running into the brick wall at Wrigley Field. He got hit by a pitch and broke his finger as well, So he's kept his head above water coming into the game tonight hitting two sixty five with sixteen home runs and sixty three RBIs playing right field, playing center field, playing first base, He's showing that versatility that we saw at a very early age when he got called up by the Dodgers in twenty seventeen. You can hear that full interview on the iHeartRadio app and if you want to see Cody and his hair, you can see it on the Am five to seventy LA Sports Instagram Live page. There on the Instagram feed presented by Navvy and Takeless water Heaters. That'll do it for us. Tonight on Dodger Talk. Coming up tomorrow, it will be Bobby Miller on the mound facing the Cubs for the second time this season. It did not go that well at Wrigley Field in April, so Bobby is looking to bounce back, not only from that matchup against the Cubs, but obviously trying to bounce back from his last start and get his season on track. There is still time for Bobby Miller, two and four with an ERA of seven seventy nine, going up against Jordan Wicks, who is two and three with an ERA of four zero three. Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock tomorrow with first pitch at seven ten. Thanks to Colin Ye back at our bird Bank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening once again. The final score from Dodgers Stadium. The Cubs come from behind and meet the Dodgers six to three. Fox Sports Radio is next. We'll talk to you tomorrow. Have a great night, see ya.