Speaker 1: Oh geez bote, it's showtime.
Speaker 2: People say good money to see this movie.
Speaker 3: When they go out to a theater.
Speaker 4: They want cold sodas from a pot, popcorn, and no monsters in the protection booth.
Speaker 5: Everyone pretend podcasting isn't boring.
Speaker 3: Cut it off, la. Lots of ways a girl can get into trouble.
Speaker 1: Gimme kiss? What gimmy kiss?
Speaker 3: And the surest way is to be a lady.
Speaker 6: Captain, you have the right to remain side, but no lady.
Speaker 7: And have to take the ris like to ask a couple of questions.
Speaker 2: That's a taint it.
Speaker 3: This is whoopy?
Speaker 8: What kept you stopped to pick up a sailor?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I almost had one too, but your mother beat me to him.
Speaker 7: You're no way of party talked hard meat it.
Speaker 3: She's got the moves, she's got the mouth. This place a real mess. You know where we can find a good maid.
Speaker 8: You know, people like you are the reason abortion is legal.
Speaker 3: She's got the badge.
Speaker 5: We talk the free, nice smooth honnie.
Speaker 3: But she's got to have his help.
Speaker 2: Let me follow you around for a little while.
Speaker 3: To stop a killer.
Speaker 1: What I'm sure they want, fatal beauty, What.
Speaker 8: The hell are you doing?
Speaker 9: Here.
Speaker 3: I've missed you too, but he go. Everything got a whip here. Perfume shot.
Speaker 6: Yes, honey, I know I shot you one word and I'm going to clear your signs.
Speaker 5: My cats, so you gotta shoot him.
Speaker 3: Well we go, Sam Elliott, I can't let you go anywhere that make anna Fatal Beauty. You're probably undercover, your lousy teste.
Speaker 8: Welcome to the projection booth. I'm your host. Mike White joined me once again. It's mister Rob say Mary.
Speaker 5: Everywhere I go people are dying to meet me.
Speaker 8: Also dragging me for this month long extravaganza is mister Kevin Layne.
Speaker 1: And don't call me bitch, Hi, Mike.
Speaker 8: We continue Whoop Brewery what they look in nineteen eighty seven's Fatal Beauty, Directed by Tom Holland and written by Hillary Henken and Dean Reiser and based on a story by Bill Spenno. The film stars Whoopy Goldberg, of course, as Rita Rizzoli. Of course. She's a smart, talking, street wise police detective who runs across the designer drug Fatal Beauty, and she has to take it off the streets to avoid unnecessary deaths. We will be spoiling this film as we go along. So if you haven't seen Fatal Beauty and don't want anything ruined, please turn off the podcast and come on back after you've seen it. We will still be here.
Speaker 3: Rob.
Speaker 8: When was the first time you saw Fatal Beauty and what did you think?
Speaker 5: Well, the first time seeing it all the way through, I think was for this episode. I think these Whoopy Goldberg comedies were often in rotation on TV in the nineties and that so I think I may have caught snippets of this one or Burglar or Jump a Jack. Flash is hard to remember, but to actually sit down and really watch it in her was this episode. I thought it was really good. It reminded me of its era, given that it was made eighty seven. As I was watching it, I got a lot of feeling that this is a female version of Beverly Hills Cop. Maybe that just has to do with certain sort of casting scenario. Obviously she's a comedian and Eddie Murphy as well, but just it's a good, little least procedural. And this was in that era when Sam Elliott was quite handsome and I remember as a.
Speaker 8: But it's okay, those those insurance commercials I'm seeing he's looking a little long in the tooth, but yeah, oh my god, what a cool drink of water this guy is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I remember it was around this time that I don't even think my mother had a photo of me on her desk, but she had a photo of Sam Elliott on her desk at around this time. So this just brought back my flashbacks to my mother and her loyalty to Sam Elliott. And I'm sure that if she hasn't seen this, I'll be buying her a copy on DVD.
Speaker 8: Most urgently, was Sam Elliott a rival for your mother's affections?
Speaker 5: I don't really want to get into that here because I'm afraid that my insurance won't cover those kind of.
Speaker 8: Discussions here mind, Yeah, it might be good to save that for your therapist. And Kevin, when was the first time you saw Fatal Beauty and what did you think?
Speaker 1: I saw this for the first time about a year ago or maybe two years ago, and the thing that jumped out at me on that first watch was it was a lot more straight and a lot more violent than I expected. It was a proper action adventure film, and it wasn't as comedic as I was expecting. From a Whoopi Goldburg film, and I had the last three of these films all scrambled together. They were all quite similar to me, and there were a lot of overlap with scenes with her taking on these different personas and Stufe it could be her character from Bergner, it could be her character from Jump with Jack Flash. But that was my main takeaway was that this was a really violent cop movie and not at all what I expected, and I enjoyed it then and on this rewatch I enjoyed it even more.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Again, I don't know when I saw this one. Rob was saying, it was ever present, and like you, Kevin, I definitely scrambled up these things. But yeah, Fatal Beauty just stands apart for me like this is. And it's unfair because we've talked about two other movies before this, which were good. I really enjoyed both of those, but Fatal Beauty for me is like up on that pedestal. I really like this movie, and yeah, it is so freaking violent. I forget about how violent some of these movies were. It just works.
Speaker 5: It works.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's so good, and it's so strange because Bill Spanno, as I said, wrote the original version of it, and we'll hear from him later and hear what that was like. It was called extreme Measures, and he really describes the character as being like a dirty Harriet type of character. But Hillary Henken, it feels like she is the one once she got assigned this that she took it across the finish line, because there's a draft out there from Milius which is even more violent and is pretty shocking when it comes to some of the violence in there.
Speaker 5: Millis Millius, I know it's crazy, right, I thought he you turn into a kids movie.
Speaker 1: It's not as good of a script.
Speaker 8: Though, no it's not.
Speaker 1: They made the better vversion.
Speaker 8: They definitely did, And but his version is weird because it says based on a screenplay by Hillary Hankin, and I'm like, oh, okay, not this is my draft. And there's even like a little note down there about who gets credit and these kind of things. And then the next draft I read it's pretty much the shooting script, and that's Hanken. That's a riser who he used, not the one that worked with her on Roadhouse. I'm trying to remember what else he wore. But then also I am pretty sure that Tom Holland, the director, not the actor who Rob and I were talking about how negative aged he must have been at this point, a young spider man. No, the director, Tom Holland. It seems like his mark is on there as well, because it feels like it's what ninety nine percent of what we see on screen. It's very close.
Speaker 1: Although where it differs, I think there are important differences between the script and the film that I'm hoping to talk about. But yeah, this is one of these films where almost every problem is solved with a gun. It's just shoot a door to open it, shoot a chart tire to stop someonech chasing you, shoot anyone that's walking away from if they turned their back and you shoot them. And I love it.
Speaker 5: It's funny that you said dirty Harriet and then Milius got involved, because of course he had some hand in that, and as Kevin, you were saying, this is just part of that era. That whole thing started in the seventies. Obviously Dirty Harry picture. But it seemed like as we got into the eighties and got into this sort of yeah, just violence solves everything, it just became light entertainment.
Speaker 1: Or putting on a persona acting out a fictional character version of yourself. You tend to do not a lot as well, walk in somewhere and just pretend to be somebody else and black out your way through. It's a staple of the genre.
Speaker 8: Oh, which is perfect for Whipopy Goldberg because that's what we've been talking about for these last two weeks, was just the way that she puts on these different personas and can do it at the drop of a hat. It's very similar to the whole asking Axel something and he turns around and suddenly is a completely different persona, like walking into the club where Victor Maitland is and suddenly he adopts that kind of fay homosexual persona that he's doing. And this movie starts with Whoopi Goldberg. This is so unusual for a female cop to play a prostitute. That never happens in the movie. So she is completely dulled up. And the way that she's fragmented during these opening credits where you see the shoes and then you get the ass, and then you get the glasses and then finally you get Whoopy And here she is putting on a complete character of this prostitute. But yet she's really torn because she's a prostitute, but she's really a cop. So when she sees violence happening in this bar where she's supposed to be making this drug deal, she has to step in and that really blows her cover. And it took me a long probably until the last time I watched this the other night to realize that one of the guys that sees her on the street makes her as a cop. When she says it freeze police, I know that that's when fred Asparagus realizes the gang member. I was like, oh, I didn't realize that this kid was here. And also at the end of the movie, I don't know what the hell was going on, but yeah, and then I just real quick, I have to call out fred Asteragus as dig Ado. I guess his name is. I just talked about him last month when we were talking about the Three Amigos, and he plays the bartender at the little sleepy town and he looks completely different. It's amazing the transformation of him from the skeezy bartender.
Speaker 5: Excuse us, we're not Mexicans, we're from out of town. We were wondering if you could tell us where the best hotel in town.
Speaker 3: Is there's no hotel in this town.
Speaker 8: Great, no hotel.
Speaker 5: I could kill somebody.
Speaker 2: We have heard of you, No kidding, I have a message for you.
Speaker 8: Germans says to wait here to this massive gay drug dealer with the wonderful like. I don't know what kind of hairstyle that is, but it's great in the little pinky ring and everything. I mean, hats off to him and every single character, every actor in here, even the guy that is doing the violence against the woman at the beginning, that's familiar face as well. That's the guy who was Michael Ironside's man at arms in total recall. I absolutely love that dude.
Speaker 5: One of the things that I really like about her character and here, and this becomes prominent a little bit more later, is that, like you said, part of what blows her cover is she sees this violence against someone one of the street people, and you learn her connection to those people in a way that they're her best informants, they're her best people. She has a humanity for them that I think might have been underwritten in if it was maybe a male character. I don't know. This is maybe some way in which there's some sort of community that's built with her character in that way, and I really like that. At the same time, I had a note here about in that opening because of some of the stereotypical pieces, and I was talking about the queer code character and things like that. As I wrote here, I go, is mega, I'm like anti Mexican talk heard the cheech as the bartender. So there are some kind of cringey racist jokes in here that but you have to remember it's nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 6: I want to cut that blanchet please, and don't speak those fans because I don't understand what the fuck you're saying.
Speaker 1: Do you want a glass?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 5: What do you want a glass?
Speaker 11: Do?
Speaker 4: I want to know? Wrap it in the tap of dumb motherfucker?
Speaker 5: Yes, I want to go what is this Sto't be doing this shit to me, honey, because I know you people. You people come up here under the bushes and shit and then you want people like me, hard working people.
Speaker 8: Like me, to get down or you to get to you and got no teeth brushed.
Speaker 1: There's two things I noticed from the opening. One is that it appeared to me that she's wearing like the Dorothy Ruby red slippers and she's walking on the streets because they're like the same look, they're bejeweled, and that's a choice. You could pick anything, but you chose those. And the other thing is that her introduction to the script is the same scene, but in the film when she walks into the bar, she starts monologue again, she starts putting on a persona and that's all ad libbed based on the differences between the script and the film, and that immediately just puts me at ease. It's, Oh, she's having fun, she's here, And I just say it is a bit of a safe the cap moment where she sees somebody in danger or indeed, and she blows a cover to protect them. But yeah, I was instantly on board. I was like, I like this. I like the vibe, I like the look of it, I like the tone, and I like the character that she's putting on.
Speaker 8: This done and she doesn't do a ton of character work, but she does it at times. She'll get back in that outfit later on in the film, which was surprising me because I thought it was a one and done type of thing, But she actually dons those glasses, that wig, all that stuff later on, and I like that at her desk in the police headquarters, that she's got all of these cyrofom heads there with wigs on it. So you're like, oh, she's the undercover person. She likes to do this kind of stuff, and it's just fitting for her and for the whoopee persona that we've seen built over these last few films.
Speaker 5: In the shootout opening here and Kevin used it as his opening line on the show is she really has a problem with the B word, But here I wrote, she doesn't have a problem with the N word. No, that really kind of threw me. I was like, Wow, okay, which then, and this is before obviously we'll get a bit into the backstory. But I was thinking about this and when I realized that she has this Italian last name, I thought, okay, this is Gean Carlos Fasito. Maybe kind of scenario. Or then I sorted to think to myself, I'm like, maybe Dennis Hopper was right in True Romance.
Speaker 1: So I, okay, I'll see what you're doing here.
Speaker 5: No, wow, wow, anyway, that's a deep cut for the kid.
Speaker 1: Problematic, but I'm not.
Speaker 5: Going to I'm not going to say the word. But anyway, wow.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I wasn't quoting the film though, I was just that was just something I wanted to say up front.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we've had incidents in the past.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I know you too.
Speaker 1: I did love her little what would you call it? What's that move? That that Texas switch type move that she does where they're in the alley and he's looking for she's basically just disappeared behind him to some sort of magic of the movies and has a nice move asshole. I was like, Oh, I'm into this film. It's good crack. It's working for me. It's the smoothest of the three so far.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and the script is the one that makes the most sense to me, even though it had gone through a bunch of writers. And you can see in that Millius draft, and I don't know the draft before that, but you can see echoes of what this film becomes in that Millius draft where oh, this is the scene where the drug deal happens. This is a scene where this happens, and but you get it in a much different way. Like with Millius, he sets it up so that she's more of a hot shot and she ends up buying the bad drugs. I believe now please correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to say she ends up getting the bad drugs and then is going to take them to headquarters, and this land mover or dump truck or one of these type of industrial machines crashes into her car and they steal the drugs. They end up kidnapping her, tying her up arms of kimbo. The first time I read it, I thought they actually raped her, but it's just the Brad Dwarf character, yeah, who comes over with like I was going to rape you or whatever, and I was like, oh shit, this is like a rape prevenge film, but it's not quite that. But it is her fucking up and allowing these drugs to go on the street. That does not happen in the final movie, which I'm glad for because she's already got a lot of emotional baggage in this and I appreciate it that she is such a well rounded character in this film. Even though this is a cartoon shoot them up ultraviolet movie from the late seven sorry late eighties, when this was de rigueur. I'm sure this kind of got lost in the shovel of all of the action films that were happening at this time.
Speaker 5: I love how that reveal of her background is later. I'm glad that they didn't put it in the first act, and that was the driver of everything. I like that it sits in the background and you're like, Okay, why is this? Why does this person have no life? Because at one point it's there's the cliche scene with the captain where it's like the Starsky and Hutch scene where they get pulled in in the procedural and it's like, God, damn it, what.
Speaker 9: Are you doing to me?
Speaker 3: Huh no money, no dope, no, don cadillo.
Speaker 11: I have a perfectly reasonable explanation.
Speaker 5: I don't need explanations, I need results. Do you know what Captain McKay is going to do to me?
Speaker 9: And all over some two bid hooker?
Speaker 2: Not a two bit hooker, Not a two bit hooker.
Speaker 4: Charlie far As a friend of mine.
Speaker 6: She has to be the best ear I have on the streets, and she gave me them a to have a bus last month.
Speaker 5: I don't care that says, I mean, you have no life, You have nothing besides this job. All you do is your job. So the question is why are you driven to do the jobs? So that plants the question in our head as the audience, going, Okay, why is this person so maniacal on their job. Is it just I don't know, bride and self satisfaction or is there something else going on here?
Speaker 8: Well, it just through luck that she ends up being assigned to the murder of Digadillo or gets called to that scene, and that ends up kicking off the whole mystery. But she had that connection to him before goes back figures out that he's dead, and then once we get tied into drugs, then it becomes a real Now it's personal thing for her, especially when she sees the van and it has Kroll's name on it and she's, Okay, this respectable businessman is completely dirty and I'm going to basically take him down. It becomes a real vengeance type of story for her, And I like to your point that we don't know why she's that driven until towards the end, and then that scene. That scene just can got you. She is such a great actress and just shows it in that one particular scene. Especially.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's one of those pieces that kind of sneaks up on you on an eighties movie that you're not expecting. And I talked about this before on the First Blood episode where I'm like, I didn't expect to start crying when Stallone starts giving that monologue at the end of First Rambo film. It's the same thing with this, where you're like, Wow, that's deep. I wasn't expecting that for kind of an actioner, and.
Speaker 1: It's not in the script. That was one of the big key changes between the draft that I read, the shooting script draft, and the film itself. Should we tell people what it is? It basically is that she's lost a child through her own neglect of allowing. She's taken the job Homebrew and her young toddler, I believe, got into the drugs, took them odd and died. So she's basically lost her child. And in the script there's a couple of things, a couple of changes. There's three major changes that they make that I think one of them is good, which is that change that they make with their personalize her reason for wanting to take down this whole empire. But the other two I think are solely missed and I'll talk about them later. But in the script, she talks about her sister and it's something that happened to her sister that made her want to be a cop, which is confiding all this into Marshak, the Sam Elliott character. But in the film, it seems they must have written that on the day, or they must have rehearsed or something, because that's not there at all in the draft. There's nothing about her having lost a kid. And the thing that I noticed is that she feels a little skitzo in the film because of that, because she's so glib, she's so enjoying her job, bantering with all the guys. She seems to be a carefree character. And then that reveal where she's no, she's somebody who's having a deep wound that she's masquerading, and that this is very personal for it's a big change. And I noticed as well that in the Cisco A Needbit review that I saw that's the scene that Ciskel highlights as the saving grace of the whole film. That it really reminds people that, regardless of what you think of these films, what po go Bog is a great actress.
Speaker 8: You said, she takes the job home with her, that is she a cop at that point, because it sounds like she got mixed up in drugs when she was younger, and she had the kid when she was fourteen.
Speaker 5: You're right, Actually, yeah, My memory of it is that she had a rough youth, she was an addict, she had this kid, the kid dies, and that kind of appears to have set her straight and to go, Okay, I got to get my shit together, because you know this is serious, this isn't It's not just me anymore.
Speaker 8: I can see where you're coming from, Kevin, because it goes from her being a drug addict to her becoming a police detective. And you're curious about how that transition happened. So it would have made just as much sense had she brought the evidence home or something.
Speaker 1: What I tend to do is I tend to read the shooting script while I'm watching the film for the second time, so I'm like going straight through it. And it started to deviate quite drastically at that period where the marsh that character. He had a whole other scene where he was going back to Kroll and he was laying the plan and he knew quite clearly that he was setting her up and he was trapping her, and it was playing against these scenes where he was falling for her, and I do love the relationship that they have. It's nice to see her falling for somebody. And they've got some great pattern as well that isn't in the script. These these funny little back and forth where he's inelegantly flirting with her and she's trying to bat them away. I loved all that stuff, which again feels like it was ad libbed on the day, But those changes, I was like, what's going on here? This is a huge change to the character that they seem to have made while in production.
Speaker 8: And as far as I remember, there is no Mike Mark Shack in that Millius draft. It feels like he's very much a later invention.
Speaker 1: I couldn't track any of the characters from the Millius drafted this because it seems like they only kept to read a name. So some of the set pieces with similar reports. Who are all these guys?
Speaker 5: Granted I only watched this once, but I had moments at times, and I think it becomes more It evens out as the film goes, But in the beginning, I'm trying to figure out beyond kind of the meet cute and they start to develop. There's part of me That's what I'm not understanding. If this is your job and you're trying to be a serious person doing your job, this guy is dirty. I don't understand why you're getting involved. There's almost a feeling that maybe in my first viewing, i'd say early on, there's this little thing where it's and it could just be a little scene, it could be a line. I don't know that could have sured that up just a little bit. For me, it just felt like, I don't understand why you would allow yourself to drop the professionalism here with this person that obviously you're I don't know. I don't know what your take on that was. Later it's fine, Like when you get towards the third act and all that, I'm like, I can buy it there, But in the early go I'm like, I'm not getting it.
Speaker 8: I like that she basically humiliates him the first time that they meet, Like the way that he comes out from behind the gate. She's going to go see Kroll played by Harris Eulin in here and she's up at the gate. It's very actual trying to see Victor Maitland type of thing. To your point, Rob and he walks out and he starts flirting with her big time, especially when he finds out that her last name is Rosoli.
Speaker 2: That's Italian, isn't it. M I always had a weakness for Italian ladies school. There was this one that rose I'm off Fatano got those eyes. She had one problem shut out those big beautiful brown as or as a get or anything she wanted. Maybe all pretty Italian ladies feel that way.
Speaker 9: Figure, is here a point to this start point?
Speaker 3: Is this is private property.
Speaker 2: If you want to come call in and show me a piece of paper that says warn on it otherwise, or even dare chain.
Speaker 8: And for all this we had to go through Rosa Malfatana's.
Speaker 2: Trying to be friendly.
Speaker 3: Officer.
Speaker 8: Oh, he's just flirting big time, and I'm like melting there looking at nineteen eighty seven Sam Elliot just oh gosh, whatever man and that more black scent and everything, and she ends up Okay, we'll see you later, and it takes herself out of there. But then she ends up breaking into Kroll's place anyway, and he gets pissed off at Marshack and it's just like, yeah, the thing of follow her and make sure nothing happens to her is weird flecks to have there, but it just you have to go with it for the movie to work. I think.
Speaker 1: I think that's what he tells her. What he's really doing is he's making sure that she's not getting too close. True, so he's informing them. But the dialogue that they have that I wanted to mention because I was like jotting down all these lines and I'm like, I'm loving this. This is the stuff that I would be aiming to work myself. He apologizes to her a moment later on in the film in the car and he's I'm sorry for being such an asshole, and she's like, it's all right, I'll get used to it. I just love that kind of like back and forth for it's just an acknowledging. Yeah, I still think you're an asshole, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Speaker 5: In the back and forth and the banter are there. This is where I was like, you're not gonna mention the mismatch, Like you were saying, I have a thing for Italian ladies.
Speaker 1: Wasn't meant to be share.
Speaker 8: It was meant to be share. Yeah, she was as reader Resoli. And so it's funny because Kevin. We've gone through gender swaps, racial swaps, ages, all of these different things. This is the first time we're talking about a movie that was written for a female character but written for an Italian female character. So we're so close. We are so close to actually having a movie written for Whoopy Goldberg, but we're still far away from that. And apparently at one point it was supposed to be Sharer and then they changed it to Whoopy Goldberg, and then the Marshak character was supposed to be Billy d Williams, and so it was like, okay, good, no misagenation. We can't have that because people think, oh, of course, interracial kisses have been fine since Kirk and Aura all that time back. Yeah, Beverly Hills cop perfect example. We're taking this romance. Write the fuck out of here. It's amazing that there is romance in this at all, that there is a kiss at the end, and there was supposed to be apparently a sex scene at one point. It's note, we can't have that. They were going to give this movie an X rating if there's going to be a sex scene between Sam Elliott and Whoopee Goldberg. How do you like that? Nineteen eighty.
Speaker 5: I read some coverage on this before I watched it, and I can pick up on where that scene was.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: It's my understanding that they actually shot it and then.
Speaker 1: After the big hot to hot moment where she tells him, she basically reveals who what's driving her.
Speaker 5: It came there, and it's my understanding that it was in the preview version and the audience didn't like.
Speaker 8: It, so they cut it didn't test well.
Speaker 5: I'm actually amazed by this, and I don't want to get too deep into this, but culturally, I think that maybe white Americans could accept Sam Elliott and a black woman, but if it was a black man and a white woman, I think that really would have been problem. I think it's still a problem.
Speaker 1: Didn't they have the issue with Hitch where Rosario Dawson was cast opposite Will Smith. They could go with a Latin X person on a black guy, but it couldn't be a white woman opposite Will Smith in not film anyway, So it was still going on like into the early two thousands.
Speaker 5: That's wowd It makes me a little sad to see that. It's not that I needed it per se, but now that I know that it was cut for that reason. It's just damn really.
Speaker 8: The relationship between Rita and Mike that really drives the second half of the film. When she confronts him and says, you work for this guy who sells all of these drugs. She knows that Kroll is bad. How can you justify that? And ask him flat out, how can you live with yourself? And sometimes I let it slide? And that becomes the big thing, and she just picks up on that let it slide thing and just hammers him with it. And when you see that scene of her talking about her backstory, it's basically like, how can you let this slide? Marshack? Look at what drugs have done to this woman who you are falling in love with, who we are about to have sex with in one version of it, how can you let this happen? And I love that. It's just she hits him a few times and she's really angry and mean about it, and I'm glad because he deserves that. He's the dynamic character in the second half of the film, changing his ways from working for a drug dealer to helping out Risoli and taking a bullet for literally taking a bullet for her.
Speaker 1: The other thing where the film is strengthened by rewatching it and knowing what's motivating her truth is the scene that she has with Zach's murdor, where she's confronting another murderer who doesn't care what happens to her son, who's washed her hands with him, And when you realize that she's someone who doesn't have that anymore, she's not a motor anymore, it makes more sense why they would get into an actual fistfight altercation where in the film it's played kind of fun and it's it's almost like a class thing. But when you realize that she's coming from a place of I cannot understand you. Why would you be that way? You want son, you're more concerned about playing tennis? The rage is justifoied Oh.
Speaker 8: And Jennifer Warren as this mother character, as what's her name, Cecily Jaeger, She's in here for two scenes and it's just amazing. She is so good. Well, of course I mostly know her from Night Moves and Slapshot, and there's a lot of slap Shot crossover between Fatal Beauty and Slapshot, but yes, she is amazing, just in those two scenes and to go from that hoity toity if what you can do with him? And I have to get back to tennis, and I have to how dare you come into my house? And especially when Rizzoli touches her, and you just get the feeling that there is a massive racist thing going on. Not only is it how dare this cop touch me? How do this other woman touch me? But how dare this black person touch me? Is how that moment feels to me, and that she has to overcome all of that in order to see what's right. And it takes her own son, the James Lgrow character off screen committing suicide or attempting suicide. Sorry that it takes that to wake her the fuck up and finally allow that the last little bit of connection from the drugs to this what's his name? Denny Mifflin. I kept thinking of dunder Mifflin to Denny and then to Kroll. She's that lynchpin for it. But it takes so much to get that information out of her.
Speaker 1: She thinks she's to help the first time that she sees her, oh.
Speaker 8: Man, yeah, my skin crawled at that moment. And yeah, there's a lot of racial stuff that goes on in this movie. And yeah, though to your point, Rob, it's pretty funny that the N word doesn't get her nearly as upset as bitch. But then towards the end of the movie, brad Dorf's just calling her bitch all over the place. What's your last line going to be? The last line needs to be don't call me bitch. But no, you said Smith and Wesson asshole, And I'm like, that's the wrong line to me.
Speaker 5: It was just the logic of it, where it's if you're going to change the character, if you're obviously going to make them, it's going to be a black woman's whoopy. Those things now need to be in there, either a subtext or text so that way, like if someone does say the N words, he has to react to that, if you have to react to the fact that someone's calling you out. I actually think it would be a good thing for it to be more prominent because you have these double like you were talking about, there's double or triple layers there in which this character has to move within the world and how they do their job and how they live their life. And I think that's more accurate of how someone would be a navigating world.
Speaker 1: She did it in burglar I remember where the police detective guy calls were picking and then she goes into a sarcastic portrayal of a slave. The brad Dorf character, he pretty much takes over in terms of the villains in the story and he becomes the main bad guy that she's got to take down, which surprised me when I was watching the film, because I thought it's not usual that you have the henchman be the big bad boss. But that was another change from the script. And I don't know if you guys noticed that as well, but I found that quite notable. Where it feels like that was probably change because of test screenings as well, where it felt like it's much more impactful to end on that, even though it's a weaker line, but that sort of kiss off line of Smith and Weston asshole than what was in the script. But I loved that scene in the script.
Speaker 5: Yeah, anytime brad Dorffe shows up, I'm there. I love him in here, I think as a bad guy. Sure it's a little over the top, but it's fun a little.
Speaker 1: It got him chucky.
Speaker 5: I was thinking that right before this was what Blue Velvet. Probably, Yeah, I.
Speaker 8: Think you're right eighty six that would have been.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Him and that crazy hair that he's got. I just I love it. And he's got the he's got two henchmen at the beginning, and there's a whole thing in the script I want to say where it's oh, we know this guy isn't going to make it. Basically, they end up killing the third guy, so it's just him and this other dude and the other dude who can chew on glass and.
Speaker 1: A bond villain, oh.
Speaker 8: Yeah, in order to impress that real preppy asshole, plus a very young Mark Pellegrino with that wild blonde hair and they call him Frankenstein and he just, oh my god, he looks like a freaking teenager in this movie. I've always followed Pellegrino and just always love when he shows up and stuff. Speaking of David Lynch, that was he was in mahalland Drive the last time I really remember seeing him. But he's great as Thug number two in The Big You know, he plays dumb really well. So it's really nice that he's in here as this henchman character and that they get the other guy taller than him. Pellegrina already looks tall, and then the other dude, the glass chewer guy, is even taller than him, and I'd like that. It's Dorf just basically, oh, he's the muscle. I'm the one in control. It's almost like a master blaster situation. I'm surprised he doesn't right on top of this guy's shoulders and just like, oh yeah, kill that guy, open that door, twist this person's neck off, like those kind of things, because Dorf is just fricking wild. And yeah, to your point, mark the change in the script of because Dorof does not kill the Harris Ulen character. He ends up. Ulen or Kroll just shows up out of nowhere in this movie. It's just like, oh yeah, I happen to be here too. It's oh okay. And then Brad Dorpe kills him. Because there's a whole extra scene at the end of the script where.
Speaker 1: You which is a great scene.
Speaker 8: Yeah, oh yeah, it's a great scene.
Speaker 1: At the very end of the film where the freeze frame. It's quite an awkward ending the freeze frame on her saying you're going to be all right. The movie continued where she walked back into the crowd and the cal character, the guy who was always fiddled with his tie. He's like, where are you going? She goes up to Kroll's office and she basically gets him through a back and forth. She gets him to take the drugs, the laced drugs, and he dies through his own supply. But there was another thing that I want to mention as well, which was shocking to me. That the drugs are laced with fentanyl. And I didn't know that fentanyl was such a big thing until the last four or five years. And it's going back to the eighties where it's whoa. This is as timely as ever thanks to that one edition. But that's the big dangerous element that adding to the drugs is cut fifty to fifty with fentanyl and some PCP.
Speaker 8: Which feels really bizarre because fifty percent fentanyl. True confession time, I have yet to do fentanyl. I probably have. It's great, Oh is it okay?
Speaker 1: I had a decoration and they give it to you, and it's all I've never felt more warm, cozy, like chill. And they only gave it to me twice. They wouldn't give me any more than that. It's a painkiller, like would they administered in the hospital, and I loved it and it was like, no, no, that's enough. Now I totally get white people would be trying to sneak some of that stuff. It's lovely, but don't do drugs.
Speaker 8: No, don't do drug But they always show like this much can kill a person, and it's like a grain. Oh two grains and you're dead. So I'm like, they're cutting this with fifty percent. And now they don't say fentanyl in the Wikipedia. They just say it's fifty percent purity and cut with fin cyclodine, which is basically PCP. So I'm like, okay, well that makes sense when a PCP plus cocaine. I'm like, all right, that that's a great designer drug. And you see the one the black guy walking out of the apartment building and they're just bubba, Yeah, they're just shooting all of shooting them so much. And then even actually I take it back because I thought Dwarff had taken it and that's why he was indestructible at the end, but then he's kevlar bitch.
Speaker 5: That scene that you brought up about the guy that they just unload on and all of that. I remember those stories from when we were young when we were kids, that there was this fear that there were these street drugs and originally it was crack or it was PCP or whatever that would turn these people into like superhuman strength, and therefore you had to be really rough with them. And one thing I also noticed about the cops in here is that the cops actually look like cops. We haven't gotten into the swat team era of cops in America. Like I was looking at footage of the white riots in San Francisco. Harvey Milk was killed just for fun, just happened to be part of a documentary. I think I was watching Lifetime to Harvey Milk, and I was like, look at those cops. They look like regular cops, just blue shirts. Sure like they're gonna wear like a motorcycle helmet to deal with the rioting. But they don't look like they just got off the plane from Iraq or Afghanistan. And I was just like, wow, I'm like, now cops in America look like super soldiers. They don't look like normal people.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's true, but don't they say that New York has the sixth largest standing army in the world.
Speaker 5: It's probably true.
Speaker 1: Mike, you were gonna say something where you had a personal experience with Fenton and like cut you off.
Speaker 8: Oh no, I haven't. I just was talking about the grains and just how oh we always talking about how like this much and they'll show like a close up electron microscope almost of them. This much can kill you.
Speaker 5: And I remember there was a fear story kind of like wild in the Streets where they were worried of Oh, terrorists are gonna dump and it's only gonna take a pound. Only takes a pound of fentanyl and they can put it in the local water supply and it'll fucking kill thousands of people. So yeah, actually you know what you were saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it.
Speaker 1: Makes this film very timely, just that it's.
Speaker 8: This bad batch that's going around anything that's stamped incorrectly thanks to that one Asian kid who O deed like on the own supply. And it's just what a great scene to have him laughing through the whole thing while this We talked about the violence before, but like Dwarf and his boys coming in with machine guns and just shooting every fucking thing. They talk about how they unloaded a clip and a Digadio's face and stuff. And I think that's even in the script, is them shooting this guy in the fucking face, but just massive violence. Meanwhile, this kid is laughing his head off through the entire scene. I thought that was a great touch that it almost felt almost like a Tony Scott kind of thing. Had there been feathers flying or something, I guess that would have been more of a Tony Scott thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you need those chefs of light.
Speaker 8: But yeah, talking about the cops, John p. Ryan as the lieutenant who's always great and always such a good yeller. You get Charles Hallahan, who most people know for having his chest split open and a fucking thing coming out of it from the thing. Mc gainey in here as one of the cops. Ruben Blades in here and I'm trying to remember who plays Shahida Steve aka Hoshi. So you get this great mix of all these people and Ruben Blades and I had to look it up. I wanted to make sure he's fine. He says, Blades is his last name, not necessarily blot As. He'll accept Blatas, but Blades. I love when he gives that little thing where he tells someone to freeze and if they run and he goes man they never stop. And then later on in the movie he says freeze and these two kids stop and he gets that little quick smile on his face.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck it.
Speaker 8: Actually, that's like such a great moment in this movie for me, those.
Speaker 1: Are the moments which punctuated and just keep it bubbling along. There's another moment which I noticed as well, wasn't in the script, and it's an ad lib where they turn up at the house at read his house, and the cat is on the roof and he goes to her, Your cat's on the roof, so what are you gonna do? Shoot him because she's got a gun in her hand. Nice little additions to the dialogue, but it have been so functional and expository I enjoy it. But yeah, I like that a moment at the end he got his little arc as well. Someone took him seriously for once.
Speaker 8: Or the lady who's talking Chinese and I think it's Hallahan says. What she's saying is I don't know, I'm Japanese.
Speaker 5: Talking about the cops in the way cop process is done in the film. There's a lot of things like I talked about the being hauled before the captain scene, which we've seen in ten thousand police procedurals before.
Speaker 1: They're off the case mcgarnagal.
Speaker 5: But I wrote here and you can pick out who he is. But I wrote, like Richard Gear lookalike guy talking to her. This is where she's under cover. They go to that like restaurant Jimmy Silver, and there's this whole thing where she hangs them up in the freezer and tortures him, to which I wrote here. Of course, if you torture people, they'll give you the information you want. That always works to see reservoir dugs.
Speaker 8: This is America.
Speaker 5: This is where you can play with gender. There's this whole thing where she starts grabbing at his genitals and all of that stuff. And then there's a later scene with reminded me of the RoboCop rights. You have the right to remain silently like blast bottiker through the window and all that stuff, where she's beating up the one guy and she's reading him his rights at the same time. So there's scenes like this where yeah, we're gonna do the dirty hairy thing.
Speaker 1: We're gonna Sennamentoza is one of the most respected citizens in the statement, Bang and you ran his little off a cliff, broke the necks of three of his bodyguards and drove a bus to his front door.
Speaker 9: A Cup and Nile have proof that he's head of an international door. You don't want to hear it, McBain.
Speaker 1: The shootout in the boy House with all those scribs and explosions and shit going off, that was an excellent action sequence. Or I felt proper Jeopardy and I thought Sam Maniot was gonna get killed at that point. He's here to get fridged. But yeah, the action is a lot more narrowly than I expected, like blood packs going off all over the place and people getting blasted in all types of like weaponry getting unloaded. It doesn't pull its punches. I can see why it almost got an X rating.
Speaker 8: No, and I love when they're going down the hallway. They're almost back to back at one point and I'm just like, oh, this is very Butcher and sun Dance and to see.
Speaker 1: I would love to have had a sequel with the tour of them.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, gosh, yeah. The chemistry that they have is fantastic and it's just on paper. It doesn't seem like it's going to make sense when you go, WHOOPI Goldberg and Sam Elliott are going to be lovers, partners kicking ass and taking names. And I'm just like, yeah, okay, that doesn't sound like it's gonna work. But then you see it on screen, You're like, oh, fuck, yeah, this seems like the most natural thing in the world. And yeah, them trading clips back and forth, very clever stuff.
Speaker 1: I was surprised that he felt that he was miscastle. I'm not he really is a mistake to do the film. Yeah, he felt that he wasn't right for the part, that he didn't do a good job and that was a mistake in his career. And I was like, no, this is no. It looks like you're having fun and you have a great report together. So I don't know what he was feeling in a moment to feel like that was a mistake from but I thought he was good in there.
Speaker 8: The next script that Hanken wrote or co wrote that comes up is Roadhouse, which to me is one of Sam Elliott's best characters ever. And he does eat shit, doesn't it. The sense gets killed in that film.
Speaker 1: All I remember from that film is I used to fuck guys like you in prison.
Speaker 5: Talking about the room to rooms shootout and then she gets wounded because the ceiling falls in on her. Happens twice and then ends up in the hospital. Now this is part of me that and I understand it's we need it for the script. Stop with trying to handle the film logic is that there's a newspaper story, and that's how Durris's character finds out she's in the hospital and goes after unlike she was undercovered. There wouldn't be a story in paper wounded.
Speaker 1: Oh, he didn't think it has.
Speaker 5: From there, it's really where you start to build the tenderness with the Mic character, where it's like he visitors in the hospital, he gets through the dress. She was looking at things like that, can't accept it. It's a bribe, so that she's still trying to keep this professional distance while at the same time getting pulled in.
Speaker 1: They really played it open the script as well as shooting draft with the dress where he gets sort of actually put it on and she doesn't want to wear it because he'll see her scars, and he convinces her, and it felt a little bit more like a pretty woman type back and forth where I could imagine this playing where it's more romantic writer or like the weapon would rende Russo and Gibs and showed each other our scars.
Speaker 11: You want to drink, drink your leg and drink to your leg.
Speaker 6: Okay, so we drink her legs.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a better change in the film because the relationship is based on empathy rather than sensuality, which is what the script was going for. That was one of the changes where I was like, I'm glad you made those changes because it would felt like too much of a tonal change.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I love the scene where she sees the dress the first time and you would think, again, it's here's a five thousand dollars dress. But I love that when she because this is all done, no dialogue, it's just her mouthing words and signaling, and she's signaling to a shop girl inside who's like fixing up the window display. And I love when she's five thousand dollars, five thousand dollars for that dress and the woman gives her a little sympathetic I know, it's crazy, right, And I was so afraid that the one was going to be like if you can't afford it, get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 1: Kind of thing.
Speaker 8: But I love that she's just like, I know this is nuts, so but yeah, when he comes to her with the dress, and I'm glad that they he didn't have the put on the dress for resolely type of thing, because that would have felt very controlling, and that doesn't seem like the way that Marshak is And it doesn't feel like she would take orders or suggestions from fucking anybody. She is so in control. I love how cool she plays it when Zach the James LaGrow character acosts her at the deli, and that scene is they're in the Millia's version and it's so different. There's there isn't a deli. But I love the whole thing of her interacting with the guy behind the deli kuind of Max I think his name is, and just there back and forth and you can tell she's been there a thousand times. And how cool she plays it with pickpocketing the grow taking his knife, and I want to say, when she shows a little bag of drugs, I'm like, oh, I think she just had that and just did a real quick press the digitation. I don't think that was inside of La Girl's pocket at all, and she just was like, oh look what I found. I'm like, yeah, she's in complete control of the situation. She's laughing at this kid who thinks he's such a badass, even though he's coming at her with a knife, just bursts out laughing. I'm like, this is She's a cool cucumber.
Speaker 1: She's also being maternal. She's seeing a teenager who is probably reminds her a little bit of the people that she probably would have ruan around with. And she's not gonna book him. She's not going to bring him, bring him in, and she's not gonna handcuff him. She's gonna humiliate him and just tell him fuck off, don't bother me. And I like that. I like that her humanity and the humanity between her and sam Eliot comes through in those scenes. They don't play it for the little hanging fruit. They go for a little bit more of a Groun did softer approach. That really balances out the more grubby and gnarly aspects of the shoot outes and the violence.
Speaker 8: It makes you feel for Lagroux too, and especially that scene later on where he tells that story about how he went out for swim. He had drugs with him, and he'said, oh, let's do these drugs. But at first I'm going to go off for a swim. He comes back in all of his friends are dead, and you get to see all of these dead teenagers there, and I'm like, wow, I was tempted to laugh when I first they had that hard cut to the teenagers, just because it is a funny situation for me seeing all of these dead teenagers all in like their party and everything. But he sells it. When Lagro starts to tell that story, he really sells it and makes me care for this kid who could have just been a complete punk, Like you don't want you don't give a shit about this guy because he's just a little privileged white boy. But no, I actually cared about him and I care for him when they said that he tried to commit suicide, because can you imagine the survivor's guilt that this kid's going to have for the rest of his fucking life.
Speaker 1: I'm just on a how prescient the film is that those see things that are still going on with people taking dodgy cork and just dropping dead is part of a plotline for a mid eighties movie. It feels eerie in some respects, but maybe it was always going on and maybe it's only just caught fire in the last few years.
Speaker 5: But yeah, sadly, it's much worse now than I think it was then. If you were to go back and look at the OD statistics for the late eighties, by comparison, I think, what is it in the last ten years, It's been about roughly the amount of Americans dying in Vietnam, about fifty thousand or more a year dying from od's in the US. So it's and it has been that way for the past ten years.
Speaker 1: Still, I enjoyed my fentanel.
Speaker 5: You did it in the way it was supposed to be done, under supervision and for a particular reason, not because you got a hot dose on the street. Sadly.
Speaker 8: Yeah, speaking of cops, I forgot that. Larry Hankin also plays a cop in here, very muller ish to his role from Running Scared, where he just shows up for a few minutes, comes in, talks about the bad batch of Fatal Beauty, and then he goes on his way, like how he showed up and worked on their undercover police car, made that crazy taxi for Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines and then goes on his way with that. We talked about how she plays characters and how she doesn't play a ton of characters in here, but the other one I forgot. You mentioned the Richard Gear drug dealer.
Speaker 1: And she's want to be actress.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, actress, what did you know? Of course, it's almost that same wig where she was the entertainment from Jump to Jack Flash.
Speaker 5: Like I said, when I saw him, I'm just like, I don't know who this guy is, but he looks like a Richard Gear lookalike, which would have worked in this period.
Speaker 1: She comes in love on screen as well, when she's caught loose like that, where you can tell it's not scripted. It's just convinced this guy that you are want to be actors. And I always love her when she does that, So I can see why it keeps coming up in the films where she keeps adopting these other personas, but I always enjoy it. She's such a charismatic character. The thing that I noticed as well from reading a book that I think maybe is worth mentioning, is that she was dealing with substance abuse herself at this time, and that's why she was so skinny. She was doing coke and she knew that if she gave up the coke, she was going to gain weight, and she thought at some stage the trade off was, Okay, if I gained twenty pounds, it's worth it, rather than my daughter finding out that her mother was an addict find out that her daughter was an addict. But when you see how I think she is in this film, how spry she is, and she's playing this character where she's talking about having lost her child to coke and it's not in the script, I'm wondering how much that was weighing on her that she felt the need to put it through this character's point of view before she processed it herself. But she talks about in the book where she's very forecoming. It's a brilliant book, actually her book, bits and pieces, but she talks about how she was always the second choice in all these films, that it was never anyone wanted her that she would come in, and she was constantly trying to convince people that she was good enough, and she just felt that she could never get the same respect that others would get as a lead, like they didn't have the right makeup people, they didn't have the right hair people, and did come in and they spray her hair with water and she'd be like, oh my god, you do not know what you're doing. And meanwhile she was like doing lines and lines of coke in order to stay thin. It adds to the performance.
Speaker 5: I think in this period. All I can think of is in the mid and late eighties is how she was so connected to Robin Williams and understanding his own substance use and if they were paling around. It doesn't surprise me in the least that she was up to her elbows and cocaine when that guy was no the same.
Speaker 1: She said they all were. She said that bell Air of Beverly Hills, you go into a party, people would hand to your choice of coeludes, and there was just rails of coke on every table, and it felt so normalized that she didn't see it as dangerous because everybody was doing it and they were all successful and they were all protected, and so she thought, oh, I'm going to fit in. And then she made the choice to cut with all those friends and move in different spaces and make that departure from that life soole that she was living. But yeah, it's interesting. It's a very good book. I enjoyed her.
Speaker 5: We were talking about with the racial politics then, not to say things are absolutely better some I don't know, almost forty years later on from this film, it was much harder in that era. There was not a lot of black leading actors in that period. The only like constant blackface on TV in America at least was and now we know how he turned out. Sadly is was Bill Cosby because I I don't know what he got a bad case of pudding pups. I just remember being I don't know, six seven years old and talking to a neighbor kid. And I grew up in a working class, working poor neighborhood, but it was still like I didn't realize that the time is rather segregated. And I remember talking to as kids do you're six, seven, eight years old, and it's what is it? Do you watch? It's oh, we like the show and that, and I would talk about, oh, we watched Cosby show. And I remember the kid just said, as playing as day, like you were telling the time or the weather. It's Oh, we don't watch that show because there's blanks on it.
Speaker 8: Oh wow.
Speaker 5: And I remember going to my dad and talking about that. He's like, yeah, we don't use that word in this house, like we don't act like that here. And I am and my dad explaining to me, like I said, I was only like six or seven years.
Speaker 1: Old and learned behavior.
Speaker 5: But the way I think about it is that kid is probably more mainstream of what most people thought at the time where I was growing up, as opposed to my parents. So for someone to try to have an acting career, to try and be to get lead roles in this period, who is black, it had to be such a struggle. Today, Yeah, you got Will Smith and things like that, and things are much more normalized in that way along racial lines.
Speaker 8: Ish ish because you still get all of this stuff where it's, oh, how dare you recast Johnny Storm to be a black guy? It's like how you Oh, it's so woke you have to have this DEI thing and bring all these black characters in it. Have you looked at America? Do you see the racial makeup of our country? And also there is a thing about representation where it's just like, yeah, to your point. If I was a little black girl at this point, like in the early to mid eighties, I got nothing, like I'm not gonna i have no other than maybe one person or two people on Sesame Street. I had nobody who I'm looking at. Like, until The Cosby Show came along, it was really tough to see black people on television other than the very menior roles or the one of a group of people like Ron Harrison, Barney Miller. Yeah, there wasn't that, and that's a black man. I'm trying to think of the last time i saw black woman on Barney Miller. It's very rare.
Speaker 5: Or if they were the lead roles were poor people, so you had like in the ghetto with like Good Times or the Jeffersons. Yeah, but they also it was like evolved out of that or Sanford's Son, So you had this thing with it's like poor people, non professionals. It wasn't until The Cosby Show came along that you had black professionals where it was like, no, black people can be doctors and lawyers, and because that's what the two of them were, and they can be everything in that way. And so I always posited that for US gen xers that it was the Cosby Show that changed the culture a bit, that allowed something like Obama to be elected president because people could visualize and go, oh, black guy could be president too. Even my grandfather, who was in his eighties and was casually racist, said yeah, I got to vote for the colored fella instead of voting for John McCain. So it showed this evolution. I don't think people understood how representation changed the way in which people engaged in media. That became a cultural crossover. And like he we was saying, if you can't see it, then you can't be it. And there was part of that. And even for me growing up working poor, where it was like, I want to be a writer. I want to have a creative life. And wasn't that my parents and had books in the house. They did, but I may as well have told him I wanted to be a fucking astronaut. Because they didn't know anyone who was a writer, and they didn't know anyone who was an astronaut, so they had no vision for how you could live a creative life. They were like, just don't work in the factory. Just go do something else. It's interesting to see the dynamics through that lens. I don't think that if a younger person was watching this movie today that they would even maybe pick up on those kind of things.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you're right, And I don't think they would realize just what a rarety a black female action star was, and that all of those dark.
Speaker 1: Skins female actress as well, because even today, the majority of the black actresses who are leading ladies, they're lighter skinned. It's notable. See. The thing that I find fascinating is that the race issue is it's very specific to America. While everywhere has got its racial issues, America still seems to be grappling with it in a way that the rest of us just don't understand why it's such an issue for you guys. And maybe it just has to do with your history and it has to do with segregation and all that stuff. But we grew up just loving black culture and loving the black exports we're watching like Fresh Prince of bel Air and not batting an eyelid about it, or kidd and Play or whatever music was. It always just felt normalized. And that was in a country which was predominantly white Catholic. It's an interesting difference.
Speaker 5: For me growing up. I grew up around a lot of kids who were like Pino and do the right thing. And there's that scene where Spike's character pulls them aside and says, you keep saying this word all the time. You keep talking about how awful black people are. But your favorite sports heroes and your favorite musicians and your favorite you're so in our culture, but you don't respect us. And I grew up around so many kids like that who had no respect for black people and on the whole, but they would just eat their culture with a spoon daily anyway. So yes, welcome to three white guys talking about racism a racial politics.
Speaker 1: You're white. I had my camera off.
Speaker 5: Sadly, I don't like to equate myself to that of my cultural ethnic background, much like you, a bit of the Irish and the Celts who were not considered white for a long time.
Speaker 8: PARTI O'Malley table morning tea. You know, it just doesn't look like any party I've ever seen before.
Speaker 9: Man, you never heard no black Irish Irish?
Speaker 8: That's right?
Speaker 3: Who do you think of it? In the mac Rea? Look it's on huh so Rocky, that's.
Speaker 1: Ow We're trying to not use that too much anymore because now we legitimately have a lot of amazing black Irish people, so it doesn't really dilutes it and confuses it. But yeah, we consider ourselves as Irish people to be very liberal, very progressive. We're all about equality and all that. But we don't claim the Irish Americans.
Speaker 9: What.
Speaker 1: No, this has got to get so many downvotes, people are going to seek seek me out. I'm not going to find our podcast and are just going to review bombus.
Speaker 5: Uh, well, we're all getting duxed. We're all getting duxed.
Speaker 1: I love Trump Piece, I love the Went Home Alone too, I love The Apprentice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, wrapping it up here, the ending and such, is there anything that we're missing?
Speaker 8: I also wonder where that car is going at the very end we talked about the freeze frame, but the credits take place over a car and I'm guessing it's her Resolute and Mike in the car. I think it's her piece of shit car that's going, and then we're following that for a while as the end credits are going. Then we pull out and it carries on its way. I don't know if it is her piece of shit car though, because it's not her what Axle drives a crappy blue Chevy Nova, but she's got hers where you can hear the yeah, just whineing like crazy.
Speaker 5: It's a beat up old sixties Mustang.
Speaker 1: Of the fact as well that it's a shabby car, that it's not gleaming, it does set her apart from Axel, where she's not flash. She's actually just a working cop. But it's a dirty pink and I like it. It gives a character, and it's a great poster as well, like the artwork for the film is great for reclining in the car with the gun and the Hollywood sign behind her. It's cool. But I do think they should have stuck to the ending in the script. That the ending in the script was just it tied up a lot of loose ends, and I liked it rather than that freeze frame, where I guess they just thought, look, cut your losses, now we don't get out.
Speaker 5: They're like it worked for truefo four hundred blows. Get them that freeze frame, let him think about it, and then send them off into the night.
Speaker 8: I mean, it was such a cop, such a TV trope, but especially like for Cop shows where you get that last freeze. Of course, we all remember how they would parody that in Police Squad the Zaz Show where they would freeze but the criminal didn't know that they were supposed to freeze.
Speaker 5: Don't they freeze at the end of Beverly Hills Cop Because if I remember, isn't it like this? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, okay, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Can't remember what Van Dam is a double impact, is it or no? It's the Van Dam one where he gives the thumbs up at the end.
Speaker 8: Years ago, I saw a super cut of all the ends of Chips and every single freeze frame. It would be like the last joke and then the freeze. Oh my god, it was wonderful. Sot yes, and then they would freeze and credits. It's like if somebody did that for the opening of CSI Miami, that would be great too. And I'm sure they have.
Speaker 1: One with David Cruso taking off his glasses constantly detective.
Speaker 8: The victim has seamen in her ears. I guess she got to hear her killer coming.
Speaker 5: I don't know. That just reminds me of and I think you still do this on Facebook where you have the through the legs posters, just the cliche use of image.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we're going to take a break and play a pair of interviews. First up, you'll hear from the original author of Fatal Beauty, Bill Speno, and we'll follow that up with an interview with director Tom Holland. And we'll be back with both of those right after these brief messages.
Speaker 5: I don't know how he does it. I mean, the guy does books, he writes reviews, he's on the show every week with me. I'm talking about my Humble podcast partner, Mike White from the Projection Booth. Hey, it's Rob Saint Mary. I just wanted to let you know Cinema Detours. Mike's new book is out. It collects a bunch of reviews that he's done over the past decade or so for various places here and there, and you basically want to pick it up. And I'll tell you why, because some of those older reviews the movies that you have seen, it's kind of like chatting with an old friend. And then the movies that you haven't seen yet. Well, Mike will add about another one hundred to one hundred and fifty movies that you're going to have to see before you die, you can give him a wedgie or something. Next time you see them, thank them for that one. It's Cinema Detours. You can get it over at our website, projection dashbooth dot com. You can get it at Amazon dot com, and you can get it in either payper form if you're old school, or you can get it for your kindle, your e reader. So there's no reason to detour. Cinema Detours from Mike White. And of course you can always learn more about what we do about the books and everything else at projection dashbooth dot com.
Speaker 8: Before we even talk about your career in screenwriting, I'm so curious. Can you tell me a little bit more about you and how you got into entertainment overall.
Speaker 7: You know, I did a lot of theater when I was in college, and what got me into this charter was that my friend and I had a singing group that had a number one hip record Walk right in and we toured around the world and I like the performing. And then we were doing a tour to introduce the Mustang to the world College Tour and this is nineteen sixty four, obviously, and we traveled by bus for only out of time we ever traveled by bus. We traveled by plane or drove by car, and I needed some time. I hated just sitting in the bus hour on end. So I started writing a play and don't ask me why, I just did. And I found I liked writing. So I wrote some plays, had a couple things done off off Broadway. And then a friend of mine an ancent in California, I knew who was originally started in the theater. He says, why don't you write a screenplay? So I checked out what screenplays were and wrote one. Find out found out I really liked it, and so I went from there. And then my wife and I went to California to seek fame and fortune and spent about a year there, couldn't get anything to happen, went back to our home in Cape Cod and then my wife got a television series, so he went back to California. And oh, meanwhile, also I worked. I worked as an assistant on a movie for American International, and I was just a kind of general go for a shot in New Mexico. And at that time I got to know a lot of people on the film, and so I still didn't know I wanted to break into the screenwriting business, but I had no idea how to do it. But then one day I was going to go play tennis at a public art but there was too long a wait, so I said, I'm just going to go over and talk to my friend Norman at AIP and we sat down and we were talking, and he said, Bill, listen, you know they were known for low budget pictures, and you know, under people like Roger Corman, they started you know, you know, the story Scorsese and Nicholson and a lot of other He said, Bill. You know, he knew I was a writer, and he said, have you gotten the ideas? And so out of the top of my head, I said sure, and I gave him a one liner, which was Hatfields and the McCoy's as a rival stock car racing families, and he said, I can sell that. So that was my first job, was out of the blue. They offered me minimum and I took it and I had a lot of fun writing it, and looking back, it was not, I don't think a very good script. There wasn't enough action and enough wasn't exploitative enough. But the reason it didn't get made, as a matter of fact, when I had the script and Jim Nicholson, he and Sam Arkoff owned the company and Lee had a disagreement about whether to do this picture or not, and Jim Nicholson was the champion of my script. But I remember meeting in their office and saying, listen, I've got a good friend who was looking for his first directing job, and I know he's going to be big in this town, and you ought to consider him. His name is Steven Spielberg, and he had one credit, which was a two TV movies, one called Duel, which was they got great ratings, and Stephen and my wife Joan and I were good friends, and he said, oh, yeah, no, I'd like to do that. So I told him the basic story and we went out to Riverside and watched the races, and I had a whole bunch of it. Used to Super eight films, They used to put them in a little little boxes like this, and so I run along about four of these Super eight boxes and gave them to Steven and he shot the race and I wish I had those. I wish I talked with him to say, you know, I wish I'd saved those. He said, probably they really would have been bad, he said, because we didn't have a very good angle on the race. But anyway, needless to say, because of a dispute with Nicholson, the movie never got made, but it got me publicity, got me an agent, and then I went on from there and again I had a script that I'd written about. It's called Siege originally, and I sold it to CBS with the help of a good friend who was an agent. An interesting story and it's not a complaining one, because it all turned out great for me. Was that they offered me. The studio offered me less than minimum for the script, and then they finally agreed to it. And then the producer on the script and there was that go project at this point said well we can't afford to do. And this was the guy who was very, very wealthy, one of the heirs of the Max Sycture fortune. He said, well then, Gus, you know I was being paid fifteen thousand dollars. He said, unless you take ten thousand dollars, we can't do the show. I knew it was much more important to get a credit, and he said, but don't worry, he said, you know, when the profits the movie come in, you'll get your extra five thousand, so I knew it was born. I got a credit. The movie came on the air, not only had great ratings, but I got specifically mentioned as the writer. And after that my career took off. You know, I wrote a lot of television movies, and I wrote a bunch of spec scripts and then without going through the years, because this was nineteen seventy three, I think, and literally just after the my movie aired and everybody was looking for me to be a writer, and I had an agent call me up the right six months writer strike happened, so couldn't do anything, and I thought, well, you know, this is a business. It's ups and downs. So you know, my wife and I had just agreed to buy a house on Mulholland, so we spent the six months. She taught her acting class and I worked on renovating the house, and the strike was over. It seemed to just take forever, and you know, like what happens in a strike, a lot of my other fellow writer friends couldn't write, so we would do things like go bowling or talk about the business. But once the strike was over, I got all kinds of offers to write TV shows, TV long form, and so you know, I did that for a few years and had a lot of fun doing it. I got to be known as a writer because I also turned down a lot of things because ethical reasons, Like they wanted me to write the script about Charles Manson and I read his self aggrandizing biography and realized, there's no way making a movie about this isn't going to make him important in some way because he's the protagonist. So I said, no, forget it, I'm not going to do it. Movie never got made. But anyway, I was in the screenwriting loop and I was the go to writer for long form, and I turned a lot of things down, either because I didn't feel I could do a good job, but it was nice to be in a position. And it was also nice to be where I would, you know, sit at my desk writing and the checks would come in the mail because this is way before a direct deposit, and I stick them in the drawer. I didn't even have time to put them in the bank. You know, it was fun and I really enjoyed the writing. But after a while I realized that writing for television, either if you were writing a prestige show, it wasn't really what I wanted to do. I wanted to write screenplays. So that's kind of the height of my being offered things. I said to my agents, Listen, I always want to write scripts and then spec scripts, and they said, okay, we'll support you, which meant a big cut in commission for them, but they supported me. I guess. The second or third script I wrote was optioned by twentieth Century Fox, but again that they signed me a producer, and it got caught in the mill that the East Coast wanted to do it, the West Coast didn't, and so it didn't get made. But I'm you know, it was still a good script. And so that's pretty much what I kept doing. And then two years later, Steven Spielberg we were good friends. We hung out together, and we saw him through the staggering success of Jaws and also him going into and into fame, and he used to have a we had a boat in the marina which we spent weekends on and Steven would come down and we'd hang out, and I remember him telling us that they wanted him to do the sequel to Jaws, and he knew instinctively it was the wrong thing.
Speaker 2: To do.
Speaker 7: And then he said to me one day because I'd showed him a couple of my spec scripts, and he said, Bill, he said, you said, you're really a classy writer, he said, but you're not going to get to be known. He said, you should just figure out what's the most commercial script you can think of and write it just to get noticed, which was great advice. So I thought and thought about what's the most commercial thing I can write. I was a big fan of the Clint Eastwood movies, the Dirty Harry movies, so I thought, huh, dirty Harriet, and I'll write I accept on making I'll make her a woman, a liberal, and I said it in the Houston Police Force. And I went in and tried to sell it to Fox and a couple of others and they were interested. You know, I pitched it, so I said, well, okay, So I wrote the script and then I knew I needed a better agent for selling a script. So this is way before the big spec script craze happened. And I found an Asian named Melinda Jason, who was really just what you want. I mean, she was classic, you know, pushy, over the top, but I knew she could sell the script. So she did the classic thing, which has sent the script out on a Friday and saying, you know, you've got a chance here. We want to see bids on Monday morning. And I was back and we were back in our place in Vail, Colorado, which is where I was mostly living, and I remember sitting there and Melinda called me up and said, well, Bill, we got some bites. And the one who came up with the most money, which was really life changing money at that point, was twentieth Century Fox, and they said, we'll give you a certain amount of money, you know, several hundred thousand dollars for an option on the script, but if we buy it outright, will give you more money. I said, I wrote this script to sell it, and so I sold it outright, and that was really thrilling moment because it bruty did change our life. And I forever thanked Spielberg for saying you ought to do that, Bill. And of course, then the story because that script, which my title was Extreme Measures, we eventually became Fatal Beauty after the long But if we you know, talking about the whole process of Fatal Beauty, my main thing is is that script accomplished exactly what I did wanted. It raised my profile enormously and I got offers to, you know, to write all kinds of movies do rewrites, were lots of money, but that wasn't what I wanted to do. I didn't want to write Beverly Hills Cop too. And when the business was changing, and when writers like Shane Black and Steve Desosa came in, I knew they could write this stuff much better than I could. That wasn't my metier writing you know, an action action comedy script. And of course when Lethal Weapon came out and Beverly Hills Cop, you know, action comedy scripts with a lot of real action but also comedy, especially the kind of ironic approach of Shane Black's. I said, well, I'm glad I turned it down because those guys are better than I would be. It's not my thing, and I'm they're writing I really admire. But it got me to where I got a lot of rewrite jobs and writing jobs. But the experience of working on Fatal Beauty, as I said, I don't know what information you want, but my overwhelming feeling about it, no matter the fact that script that was made into Fatal Beauty was nothing like my original script. I remember sitting in the screening room with my wife at Fox, and they were they expecting this, you know, because it was supposed to start somebody like Christine Lottie, not somebody like Whoopi Goldberg, who I would admire a lot as an actor and as a person, but totally wrong casting. But they said, you know, they shot the movie and they said, well, by contract, we have to write high are you to write the sequel? And we know this is going to be a big movie. So I watched the movie Fatal Beauty in a screening room at Fox, and I turned to Joe and said, I don't know. They think it's going to be a hit. I think this is a terrible movie. And but I don't pretend to know. There are movies that were hits that I didn't understand, and movies that bomb that I thought were wonderful. It's like all of us. So but I said, sure, I'll write the sequel. And then of course the movie came out and the movie to John Goldwin was the producer working for Fox, and she said, well, the movie didn't open, and it didn't, I mean, it had a terrible opening, and he said, well, you know, we're just going to pay you off because there's not going to be any sequel. And I said, Marie, I'm so surprised.
Speaker 9: So that was that.
Speaker 7: And originally when they hired, they hired the writers they wanted to. Wanted me to work with some more seasoned writer writing this genre. I'm doing a rewrite for the movie. And I said, who did you have in mind? And they said John Mealyus and I said, no, I don't like him, but more importantly, I don't like his writing, and I know and working with him would be a nightmare because I knew a lot of people who'd worked with him. And they said, well, okay, and you know, they hired some other writers to do it. But when I saw the movie, I realized one, you know, a completely different plot, essentially different characters. And the movie bombed. And I regretted the fact that my name was going to be all over it. But the fact was it, really I did accomplish what I wanted. One they had They paid me a really good sum because before the movie opened they had to buy contract or great a price for the for the sequel, and so between the original price and the sequel and the reruns. I you know, I shared credit with with other people, but of course I did, because they really wrote the script that shows up on the screen, you know. I know years later people would say to me, oh, I really liked that line in Fatal Beauty and I saw your name was on it, and I said, no, that goes to the rewrite rye. That wasn't one of my lines. It was frustrating, but it's also not an unusual tale for a professional screenwriter, and it reaccomplished exactly what I wanted, so I have mostly I would have loved if the original script had been shot. And as matter of fact, a couple of people hired me, some readly at the same studio that eventually made it. They said, Bill, and they'd hired me to do a rewrite on a movie or something, and theson Bill, I read the original script one of the extreme measures, and he said, why didn't I make it? That's a great script, And I said, I agree, but I'm not an executive. I don't know why. But the fact is, my original script got me a lot of other work, so to me, it accomplished exactly what I wanted. And even though the work that I was mostly offered. At that point, writing scripts or rewriting was not stuff I wanted to do. I know I'd done a good job, and because the script sold and a lot of people read the script, and a lot of fellow writers looked at it and said they couldn't understand they paid you all this money for that, And I said, well, but I analyzed what the business was. They needed humor, it needed to be frank and just skirting the edge of what was possible at the time. But also especially the women executives loved it because Harriet, I believed, which was her name, was a very strong, independent woman. I didn't take shit from anybody and was excellent at her job. But as I said, it's exactly the opposite of Clint Eastwoods dirty Harry, and I like that character. I you know, it was just an old fashioned Western kind of thing, you know. So that that was pretty much the story of it. I don't know how much detail I can give you, because once I didn't agree with to work with Melius, they hired They hired actually a couple of good writers to work on the script, but they wanted to go a completely different direction, and having subsequently and previously been hired to rewrite other people's scripts. I was aware sometimes the scripts were really terrible scripts but a writer had a good idea, But other times they were the prescribed scripts I was rewriting were really pretty good.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: The thing is the if a producer has a heavy hand in the project and is pushing it forward, he wants to see his ideas, and so that's just the nature of professional script writing. But the whole experience is great for me because they got my name out. And also I became known as a really good writer and a very fast writer. So if somebody needed a rewrite, and I wasn't getting the kind of payment that some of my friends got. A few years later, after the big Spece script craziness, where the money? I mean, my friend Tom Shulman got a package for his agency CAA where he got a million dollars for a script that it was a package for CIA. The movie didn't go anywhere, wound up being called This was Sean Connery, and I can't remember who the woman wind up starring in it, but of course I can't remember the name of it.
Speaker 8: I believe that's medicine man.
Speaker 7: Anyway, there was the whole vogue, and I'm sure you know the history the preedy, big money respects scripts. And also when people like Shane Black and Steve Desoza and came along, and then there was the whole Diehard craze. At one point they asked me to write to work on a Diehard and I said, no, that's I don't want to do that. I did that, and I said, also, there are guys and women who can do it much better than I can, because that's not my I was known for character driven stories and good characters and good dialogue, and that's not really needed or even though I feel that Shane Black and Desusa and some others I've done a really good job and write terrific dialogue, and it's then it's been proven by you know, things they've written later on. But it was it was a great time for me. But I also I didn't like having my scripts just not done the way I wanted them. So I had some lucky breaks. But you know, I had people who wanted to buy scripts, but I said, but I said, well, I don't want to hear to turn this into this, and they said, well, that's pretty much what we want to do. Just independently based on a spicscript I'd written that never got done. But Dustin Hoffman hired me to write a script, and I worked with the Richard Gear on a script, and I ultimately those movies didn't get made. But also then when you work with a big star, there's a lot of other things going on, you know there. And when I got to know Robert Redford pretty well, you know there, some of them are incredibly talented, like Dusty Hoffman or Richard Gear. I really like Richard Gear as a terrific person. But things that happened, you know, he and also he said, you know, my profile isn't high enough. I just can't get this movie going on my own. It was before just before Officer and a Gentleman and between Officer and Gentleman and Pretty Woman. So once Pretty Woman came out, you know, he was he was back on the a list that I have absolutely no complaints, And I don't want to be in a process of gossiping negatively about anybody who works on a script. Has so many factors come into play, so many people have different agendas. You know, sure I would have liked it if my script that turned out to be Fatal Beauty was the original script. I'm convinced it would have been a very successful movie and maybe even a franchise. But you never know. I mean, the movie business is very strange business, and the kind of magic you know. I mean, I know guys like Alan Ball who come into town with a script and the you know, Steven Spielberg's ambulance buys it, shoots it American Beauty almost like he wrote it, and he goes on to have a terrific career. That's not usually what happens. And you know, I got to know people like he said. I was at a writing meeting at Columbia and the secretary says, you know, my copy machine maker just sold a script for two million dollars. And I said, really, And I knew what the script was. It was under siege by one it was you know, it was it was die Hard on the boat, of course, but he'd come up with a clever And I said, no, you don't understand. This guy is a screenwriter who's working as a copy machine repairer. He's been working for years trying to get things going. But to them, what they saw was it was like when I went to the secretary to pick up the check for selling Extreme Measures, which became Fatal Beauty, and the secretary looked at him, says, you got How long did it take you to write this? I said three and a half weeks and they said, you got that many thousand dollars a day. I said, no, I've been doing this now for fifteen years. You know, that's the nature of this business. And I know a lot of writers, really good writers, who never catch a break. It was like when when we had the number one hit record in the world. People said, Wow, you guys are lucky, they said, and you already know what to do. You really understand the business. I said, no, lucky is what we were. We were in the right place at the right time, with the right song. It's a fairly simple song. You could dance to it, you could sing it, and it was an incredibly lucky break. That's why there's a sign over my wife and I's bedroom door that's says gratitude, because I feel incredibly fortunate, especially because I wasn't willing to take every job that came along, and I feel fortunate I had the luxury I didn't because I vowed when we came to California. I was not going to get involved in a lifestyle that I had to work to support. So we never got a huge, fancy house. We never wound up, although we did go to Chasen's a lot just because we liked it. Well, we never wound up, you know, spend lots of money and things. We didn't give huge, large parties. And I'm so glad because maybe because I had a degree in economics, I realized that this may go on for a while, it may not. Both with the with the hit record and both of the screenwriting success and I've both were incredibly lucky breaks at the right place at the right time, And I'm forever grateful for that. And that's why I only have good things to say about the whole experience, which turned out to be fatal beauty, because you know, I would grouse to my wife sometimes though I wish they'd made the original movie, and anytime somebody unearthed the original script, they would say things like, well, why wasn't this made? And of course, you know, you have to really be deep into the screenwriting game to understand what can happen to scripts. And you don't have to talk to too many writers. Most of them successful ones. It's like still Owne said once that anybody who's trying to make it in this business is covered with scar tissue, because when I used to teach, I would say, you know, if you're not getting a lot of no's in this business, you're not working hard enough, because it's not with rare exceptions.
Speaker 9: I mean.
Speaker 7: And you know, the actor Lee Majors was on a series with my wife Joan, And this was a guy, a football player in Tennessee, came to town. Now his second cousin was Rock Hudson, but Rock Hudson didn't have anything to do with him. He just said, you know, why don't you come to town. And he got a job first working for the parts the LA Parks Department, and then he started hanging out with a bunch of stump men who playing touch football. And then one day a friend of Rock Hudson said to him, listen, they're looking for a guy who looks like you to fill out the cast of a new tub television seria of Barbara Stanley called Big Valley. So he went up and read for it. No acting experience at all, never acted in high school, but he was a good looking guy. Engaging, and he got the part, and he was never out of work for the next twenty plus years. You know, had three or four series. You know, you know how unusual a story that is compared to all these talented actors. The same thing I think of all the incredibly talented musicians and songwriters who never make it. You know, they can run rings around me in terms of music, certainly in terms of guitar playing, but they weren't in the right place at the right time. So that's why. And the whole Fatal Beauty experience provided exactly what I wanted to which it gave us my wife and I financial freedom and to do the things that I want, did not have to do things I didn't want.
Speaker 8: I mean, this might be a little bit unfair since you were writing Extreme Measures back in almost forty years ago, but can you tell me a little bit more about the story itself, and even if you have to tell it in terms of differences between what we eventually saw, but I'd love to know what that original script was like.
Speaker 7: The original script was as I said it was. The character was named Harriet Casey, and she was in the police department. And I knew how these scripts went. So the opening shot of the original script was, you see, Harriet. There's an attractive policewoman and she's standing with a bunch of obvious police recruits in a you know, kind of pretty much standard building and she's lecturing them on how to deal with the perpetrators. And we don't know who she is, we just see her. And she says to one of the recruits, you know, the hall, tall, handsome guy. So first she says, listen, you know, hold the gun on me and threaten me. And so the guy holds the gun and she said, act real mean, like you're going to shoot me. She just talks to him a little bit, and suddenly she know, she closes the distance and grabs the gun with her finger on the trigger, him firing it. But he manages to pull a trigger, but the gun is pointing at the ceiling. When the cameras up to the ceiling, it shows a whole bunch of holes in the ceiling. Obviously she's done this many times. And now, of course it's well known you don't get too close, but in those days, something that if every policeman knows, but it wasn't something that was in the film language at the time, and so you know, Harry, we follow Harriet. She goes from there and somebody calls her on her pager. This is before cell phones working, and said, listen, Harriet, we got a situation. And she said, okay, I'll be right there. So she said. He said somebody is holding people hostage in an elevator. She said, okay, I'll be there, so she comes. He walks in, that says, a tall high rise building in a shopping mall. And she walks into the building, looks around and somebody says, oh, here comes Derry. Harriet. Get out the body bags. And that's another fellow policeman. And they don't know what to do, and she says, okay, give me a minute. She walks into the sundry store and says to the guy, I want a really large, ugly purse and a real silly floppy hat. So she puts it on, walks back and says, so where's the where's the elevator? And they said he's holding people there. So she goes to the elevator, presses the button, and the elevator down and there's this guy holding the people with a gun on them, and she gets in pretending to be this so fluttery, really confused woman. She says, oh, I'm so sorry, and I'll wait for another elevator, and the gunman says, no, you get on, lady. So she gets on with her purse and her silly floppy hat, and the elevator rises up, and it's one of those things with the glass elevator. It's open and you can see the whole of the shopping mall, kind of like the Century City mall. And as the elevator's rising, the guy gets more and more frightened and more and more menacing. And we'd seen Harriet put the gun in the purse, her gun in the purse, this horrible floppy purse, and the guy more and more menacing, and he looks like he's going to go for somebody. So she shoots through the purse and blows the guy right out the window, which wouldn't happen, but and he fallsid to the floor, and so she turns around, gets rid of the hat and then leaves. You know, later she had met a guy in the sundry store who really came on to her, and you know, she really liked the looks of the guy. Without going through too much detail. She winds up in a hotel in a hotel room with him a little later in the day, and of course he hasn't seen the news or anything, and you know, they're about they're in bed in in the hotel room, about to get it on when the on the television comes Harriet. They're saying, well, you know, he really saved the day, and she says they bleep it out. She says, I just trying to keep the ship ship rising below chin level. And she just goes, oh my god. And of course the guy she's about to get into bed with, you know, nothing's going to happen. So she picks up her clothes and leaves and the guy I sort of stares open mouth. But that's how they introduce into the character. And the next day it turns out she's kind of has a you know, a dirty Harry approach to She doesn't like to work with inexperienced partners and she likes to go along alone. But the Houston police chief said, listen, Harry, I we didn't need you to take care of this guy. He's kind of a special hire, so I want you to partner with him. And so she says, okay, so she meets the guy and is a young black guy, nervous, and so they're walking, you know, to the shape up and she says, listen, let's get this straight right away. You don't call me gash hunt pussy, he said, And I won't call you nigger, dinger, darkie. All right, and he goes all right, But that sets the tone. In other words, she very frank, I'm not concerned about what we now call political correctness. But she gets the job done. And so the story of the movie is about very clever murder that's going on serial because it turns out it's two twins and what's called a foaliadeu or working together, and they're inseparable, and so, you know, she and her partner track it down, and there's a whole lot of things that go on. But what's so the script is the combination of the action and the humor. They're sent out of town to check on a lead, and she goes to this small town in Texas where there's the typical you know Virgil Timbs Virgil, I forget that, I mean not a Virgil's the Rod Steiger character and Chable Knight and anyway, you know, Harriet comes in and he doesn't want to give much and he said, listen, he said, you know, around these parts of the country, we feel about women in our police force like we feel like shit in our apple pie. And Harriet says, well, I won't ask if you're any recipes and leaves. But the people who are reading that spec script, they like that kind of language because it was pushing the boundaries of what you could do. And they like the character because she has a great sense of humor. But also the position se'es in is realistic. You know, she has a lot of admirers, but a lot of envious policemen on the on the force, but because she gets the job done, and you know, there's a lot of excitement, a lot of them. There's a big shootout at the end and very dramatic and where Harriet gets the part and her partner get the the purpse car. They're in are in a classic location. They're in a big warehouse and she manages to hook the purpse car on a on a huge chain and it winds up being hoisted above the air with the with the purp playing. You know, it was a very visual I knew what it was. I didn't pretend that it was some kind of amazing piece of writing. It was meant to be an action comedy with a female protagonist. And you know, a lot of the actresses of the day heard about it and wanted to play it. But once they they put John Mealyus on his rewriting, and then another writer, and then and then they started changing the script and they changed it into a very ordinary drug story. And of course then none of the actresses who wanted to play the original character wanted to play it, but Whoopy Goldbert was looking to do something different. And I remember this was before I saw what they'd done with the script. I remember seeing on the Tonight Show talking about how much fun she was having playing a cop and you know, using a big gun. And they had some pretty good They had Reuben Blades, and they had Sam Elliott. They had a pretty good supporting cast. I thought the movie was was nonsense. It still could have been nonsense in to beg a big hit. You know, nobody knows anything to code Bill Goldman, which is really true. But Tamir, it was just a miracle that I accomplished what I wanted to do, and I learned very quickly the movie did good for me. I didn't want no point in trashing writers who were hired to work on it, no point in, you know, when people would see the movie and see my name and say, oh, you know, I enjoyed that was fun, I would say thank you. I wouldn't say, oh, you should have seen my script, you know, because that then they deflates the people who are complimenting you, because actually, if it's a civilian, a regular person, they're really excited, Oh, your name's on a movie. And Opie Goldberg was in it. And of course, once the movie came out on TV and you know, ran, of course nobody remembered that it was a flop, except, of course, twentieth Century Fox. But over the years, I'm sure they've made their money back because it plays an awful lot, and you know, they sold it with a basket of movies, and I still get, you know, an occasional twenty thirty forty dollars residual. But I realized it's you know, that was nineteen eighty four or five. It was made, you know, forty years later. You know, I just dealt with the fact that it did what I wanted and that I would never show it to anybody as an example of my work. Oh, you ought to see this movie. I mean, a lot of my contemporaries, their scripts were made into really good movies. It'd be proud to show it. Some of my television movies turned out pretty good, some not so much. But I said, I basically feel about my career very fortunate. And there's a lot of very talented writers who never really wound up getting a break, And especially now and now when everybody has two businesses, theres and show business and everybody, you know, there's endless you know. I had a lot of students I sometimes taught at festivals or or movies that I taught for seven years the University of North Carolina, teaching screenwriting and playwriting. And you know, the kids have in most cases delightfully unrealistic views of, you know, how they're going to make it in Hollywood. And a couple of times I got some of my students' intern jobs. But then they found out how much work it is if you start at the bottom. And they thought they were going to go out there and they'd have a script and you know, people would fall all over them, and they said, well, I'm you know, I'm being a gopher for. And I said, who are you being a gopher for? And I said, well, I'm working for Scott Free And I said, these guys are a major production company. Just look around and get to know people. There's lots of opportunities. They didn't want to do that. I was really surprised, and I was aware of it when I was trying to sell anything my first couple of years, you know, went on endless interviews to try and sell, you know, show for them originally and shows like Benicheck or The Original Mission Impossible. And I did write a couple of things for television, but I really didn't like it because the formula was so rigid, there was limited what you could do. And the TV movies, some of them which came out really well, I just got tired of the restrictions in the in the act format because in those days, this is way before you could write a series or a movie for you know, HBO or Apple or any of the others. I would be fun to written in those times. And also I dispect scripts that I had that everybody said were absolutely great never get made. But there are a lot of writers, some of them extraordinarily successful could never get their pet script made. But again I just had no complaints, And I don't really have a lot of gossip because I wasn't around the production of Fatal Beauty, and I just know from you know, people at Fox who hired me to do other projects were around the project and saw it going what they thought was in the wrong direction.
Speaker 8: But who knows.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's you know, if especially you're a student of the film industry, many movies people thought were going to be absolute bombs weren't. We're surprise hit, never mind real oddball things like the Blair Witch Project or things that just came over the transom, and nobody can figure out why was that his success? And then why do movies like Porky's or you know, American Pie, why do they become huge hits and other either outrageous comedies. I remember I was they wanted to hire me if somebody had written a script that eventually became something about Mary and they said, you know this is this is not a good script.
Speaker 3: What can you do with it?
Speaker 7: So I read it and said there were a lot of things I came up with, and they didn't like any of them. They would have made a good movie. But then I saw the Fairly Brothers movie. I thought, good thing they didn't harre me because the Fairly Brothers got that kind of outrageous, ridiculous in maywey Case's childish approach. I never would have thought of that, and never would have wouldn't have been a giant hit, you know, and especially some of these site gags. But they were the right people. And that's the coda line from one of the Dirty Harry movies. The man's got to know his limitations. And I knew what my strengths were and what my weaknesses were, because what I never wanted to do was take a thing just for the money, knowing I couldn't really do a good job with it. You know, the things that I took, either rewrites or originals that they bought, I knew by my standards I could do a good job. Sometimes they came out well, sometimes they didn't like I was hired to do a major rewrite on a ge movie Theater, which was a prestigious CBS to our movie, and the woman who read the original script way missed the mark and they were right about it. So I did a you know, major rewrite on it. And interestingly enough, the movie won a Peabody Award. I didn't get any credit at all. When the arbitration or the thing came through, I didn't bother putting in. I said, well, you know, it wasn't my idea. And I don't know how much I did or I don't know what the criteria was. But what happened was when the my name didn't show up on the script, and a woman named Judith somebody or other, you know, she got the credit, she got all the residuals and and but the New York Times was really i'd have to say, outraged, because they ferreted out the real story of what I did with the script. I think they talked to the producer and they wrote an article which was unheard of, saying Bill Swano, you know, should have had credit on this. And then when it won an award, the producers of the movie insisted that I get on an award also because I'd done they thought i'd done, which I thought was an incredibly decent thing and really surprised me because but I never you know, I remember sometimes writers called me up if I worked on their script or they worked on mine, and they'd say listen, I need to get mostly close to the credit for this, because I did an awful lot of work, and I said, it's not my decision to make. If he wanted, I'll just let it go to arbitration. Sometimes I lost, sometimes I didn't, but I I didn't know. You know, there were writers I knew who would handle the arbitrations, but I did. This wasn't something I wanted to do, and I didn't want to get knowledgeable enough to do it, so I would just let it go, and sometimes it went my way, like it certainly went my way in the ge theater was called Miles to Go, starting Marty Balsen and interestingly enough, McKenzie Phillips, a John Phillips's daughter. You know, I knew John Phillips really well because he and Scott mackenzie, both of them went on for considerable fame, had a folk trio and used to hang around us in the village trying to figure out how we played what we played, so I knew him. And of course when I knew him, John Phillips was this absolutely straight laced guy wearing a suit and singing preppy songs. So when I saw him and the mom was in the Poppas, which I thought was great. I loved their music. I thought they were a fabulous group, but unfortunately they were you know, at the dysfunctional hell hole in terms of lifestyle. But it was kind of you know, like I the way the paths crossing the business. This is off the topic, but you know, I was in graduate school studying economics, and I used to go to a little cafe in the place they called Dinky Town in Minneapolis, which is where a university students hung out. Then there was this kid wearing a red beanie, singing and playing songs, and he and I would trade sets, and he was a surly young kid. He didn't particularly like me. I was doing a lot of American blues and blassic and he was doing traditional songs but also some songs he'd written. And of course that guy was Bobby Zimmerman, soon to be known as Bob Dylan. So when we both showed up in the village a few years later trying to be singers, and he was suddenly Bob Dylan, not from Hibbing, Minnesota, but from calub New Mexico. And you know, having claimed gone to visit Woody Guthrie and I was pretty contemptuous, and I really didn't like his first year songs. But then all of a sudden, he wrote a couple of songs and I went, wait a minute. I mean, I like this guy, but he's a fucking genius. This guy really is great. So I've been in a huge appreciation of his music, not of him. And he tried to pretend he didn't know me when we first showed up in New York. Right, I was gonna bust his chops because I knew who he was, but I never said anything.
Speaker 8: You know, I was, and then he was. I mean, he went on to be you know, well.
Speaker 7: I guess when you win the prizes. He's won. You know, I still don't know that. I disagree over his winning the Nobel Prize.
Speaker 8: So how about you? Are you still teaching, are you retired, or what are you up to these days?
Speaker 7: I'm pretty much retired. I found, you know, I had a lot of scripts, play scripts and movie scripts, but I just what I'm interested. I'm just I just don't have an interest anymore of writing them. I still love movies, and occasionally I do some teaching on zoom or from consulting, just pro bono for friends. But also I'm aware that the business has changed incredibly amount and the things that I like to teach about the fundamentals of storytelling and the fundamental bricks of constructing a good story are still valid, and they're valid for a lot of other things. I remember when I was teaching in North Carolina, I had the students who came to my class, but they wanted to be lawyers. But they're learning how to organize a story, which if you're going to be a trial lawyer. And I thought, well, that's the terrific idea. And you know, I also taught playwriting and I had some really talented people who I'm really pleased with because a lot of the teachers who are teaching these talented people wanted to mold them into what they thought what a good writer should be. And I would just say, you know, this is your and they want to do projects that their other teachers would say, that's wild.
Speaker 3: Nobody likes that.
Speaker 7: And one of them was Becker Brunsteadter, who went to New York, had a few small plays down in a couple published, but then she was part of the writing staff of This Is Us and has now gone on to a well deserved really good career as a writer. I'm very, very talented, but she had her own unique approach to things, and I encouraged her, you know, no, go with that weird godball approach. You've got the things, because that's you know, somebody who's not trying to imitate but is trying to be themselves is really rare. And her teachers had told her. I encouraged her to write a play which was very scattered and a lot of different stories, and they said, well, don't write that play, you know, And it turns out, out of thousands of entries, it won the college wide play contest and she got a full production. And you know, she was just she was just different.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: She was a big woman, a lesbian but not out as one, but everybody knew, and a real oddball tattoos and but just incredibly smart. People used to say, well, you know you taught Becker right, and did you help her? I said no, I just let her go the way she wanted to go, which is which I think is in a way it's helped. But I wouldn't claim somebody with that kind of talent. I feel hopefully they'll.
Speaker 3: Find their way anyway.
Speaker 7: But I really enjoyed the teaching, and I have a lot of you know, I taught for seven years and then I did a lot of festivals and teaching and both my wife and I and my wife is Joan. Joan Darling is a world renowned teacher. And we still do, you know, some zoom classes our case occasionally go to a festival or a place, you know, and I don't do as much because either of us want to travel. Like we used to go to film festivals and it was fun. They treat you well and you don't have to work too hard and you get to see a lot of interesting movies. But now ever since the pandemic, traveling is really onerous. That's pretty much my story. Do you have any other questions or did I answer what you.
Speaker 8: I think you gave me everything that I was hoping for. So thank you so much for.
Speaker 7: This my pleasure and nice to meet you and talk with you.
Speaker 8: Tell me a little bit more as far as like where were you in your career when this project crapped up? And where was the project? Because like you said, share was cast in it. I know it went through many writers, Like where was that when you got to it?
Speaker 9: I got to it after Dean Reichter had done the most recent draft and one good thing is out of it. I became very I became very good friends with Dean Rocher, who was a wonderful man, a terrific writer.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 9: I mean he did the polishes on Dirty Harry, you know, I mean it just was everything and he had just done it was a very coherent script. But it was a coherence script for you know, you know, for share, you know. And it was not funny, that was the thing. It wasn't funny. Then I started to work with with with woofe of Sam. I think I think I got three four five days of rehearsals. It wasn't funny. It wasn't like, you know, it wasn't Eddie Murphy and you know, and Beverly Hills cop her personality came through, but it wasn't formed yet. I mean not as the movie personality wasn't formed yet. That if she played the script, that would have been a rich for so that she so she made the script come to her, if that makes sense. If it came in. There were there were moments when it was then when it was funny, but it also you know, got it got edgy too, you know, there's a little bit of race baiting in there. I had a terrific experience with her forty five years forty years ago, forty years ago on Fatal Beauty. It's just that it's just the whoopee has become such a public personality. I don't want to say the wrong thing. But then she was she was an actress. She was coming off Color Purple and the and the series two or three Burglar what have two or three comedies that she'd done, you know what I mean. I thought she was extremely talented. I think she was miscast in Fatal Beauty. I made the mistake of being convinced by Laddie Ellen ladd Junior to use her to replace Believe it or not, Share Fatal Beauty had started out to be of the genre that they then called guns and garter belts, and it was meant to have a serious to have share player, a serious badass, you know, along with being very sexy, and then you know, and then having some kind of a relationship with Sam Elliott and Shaer bailed a lot smarter than me. The arguably and Cher went and did moonlighting. So I started to back out and I had a house to deal with. MGM. Lottie just really twisted my arm and kept insisting that she would make it funny Whoopy and you know, and I kept saying, but it's not a funny script. It's it's a shoot him up with a female lead and a little bit of sex throw And then I mean, but there's no there's no funny lines in here. The conception is not funny. Anyway, Lottie said she'd do it, and I don't know why, but I agreed. I thought I Whoopy was a terrific talent. And you know, there there were there were a few bumps along the way. Once she bailed because she she went to a prize fight in Vegas during the night shoot and left me hanging. She wasn't a professional yet in the sense of, you know, being a trained actor. She was a personality, and she wasn't funny on her on her own. She wasn't funny in the sense that she was verbally going to come up with her own funny lines. You know, I think that if I'd had other actors with her, maybe I could have tried for some improvisation.
Speaker 3: But it was hard.
Speaker 9: What she was great at was mimicking people, especially you know people you knew, politicians and stars. I mean, it was, it was, it was she could grab a piece of it and you didn't catch a little bit of them. So she was terrific with that. But you know, we never got into politics. I never thought about politics, you know. And then you know, in some ways she's smarter than all of us because she took you know, she jumped off She was brilliant a ghost, and she jumped off of that into into being a public personality and a talk show and it has become something totally different and Fatal Beauty because it doesn't fit the political stream of the how do you say the temper of the day. Back then, they didn't they didn't want to hard a hardcore black killer cop female. They wanted you know, they wanted the color purple. But anyway, so it got, it got. It got bad reviews, and it didn't do well. But it played like crazy when we when we previewed it, it blew out, it blew out the numbers on all black audiences, and it did very well with white audiences. Male. Because who she is, I think in Fatal Beauty doesn't it was what the atmosphere of the time throughout the country. Political media, major media. They didn't want to see Whoopee the way she was in Fatal Beauty. They wanted to see her in a way which I guess promoted a racial healing. I don't know, so it it sort of became forgotten Fatal Beauty, and I happened to think it's an extremely well made movie, and I think she did a terrific job, and Sam did a great job, and you know, I have only good things to say about people. Except the schedule was deadly because oh it went for day to night and there was damn there was damn little day. So I mean it was you know, It's just it was, you know, a week after week of long nighters. God damn near killed me. I ended up walking away from him with walking pneumonia. The film basically has disappear from my over where I was. I was very hot off of Fright Night, so you know, and you know, and I was already established as a writer in Hollywood, and I went from that into a little film called Child's Play. I was firing on all four cylinders, but I needed I needed the material there, you know, and I got it because I wrote Child's Play.
Speaker 8: Was this your first time working with Brad Dwarf?
Speaker 9: Yes, that's why I hired Brad as Charles Lee Ray and why I've created a legacy with Brad, who make more want than all the rest of us doing voiceovers as Chucky. Yeah right? God who knew? Now Brad's an Academy Award would he have?
Speaker 3: Actor?
Speaker 9: And I saw that in uh in Fatal Beauty, And I had him in my mind when I wrote Charles Lee Ray, which is who's only in the opening scene, Brad, But it also informed what I did with the character of Chucky because I knew I had Brad Brad's voice, but that l came off of Fatal Beauty. So there's an argument for you. If I hadn't, if I hadn't done Fatal Beauty, I wouldn't have worked with Brad Durffe, And I wouldn't. I wouldn't have I wouldn't have used him in Child's Play. So there you go.
Speaker 8: Did I ever tell you the story about going to Las Vegas and going to Planet Hollywood and staying there and we got put each room has a theme to it, and we got put into the Chucky room.
Speaker 5: Uh, huh.
Speaker 8: Tell me they have a table with a good guy doll inside of it. They've got the outfit, like the overalls and stuff in a hanging on the wall like behind glass. They're huge pictures. There was a huge picture of Brad Dworf above the tub. And I'll tell you, my wife does not like horror films. She was so tempted to go down and just complain and get us mood too.
Speaker 5: And I.
Speaker 3: That's so funny.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, it's amazing. The Chucky has to be one of the most successful merchandising campaigns of all time. And that's a tip of that. The David Kirshner or was the producer. He made the film because he saw that potential. And of course I was totally didn't understand that at all. I was doing a throw I was. I was doing the prototypical killer doll film. I don't know if I've ever been a killer doll film before, before Child's Play. I mean I knew. I took it off the one of the episodes that Dan Curtis did for Trilogy of Terror, which the TV movie in nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the Zuni fetished all that little bit that knife.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but it was the way he shot it. He shot that on a skateboard, put a sixty milk camera on it to shoot the dolls point of view, and that's what made it work. And I had seen a lot of things came together. I had seen The Shining and Kubrick's use of setikam in that, and they invented what they call a low boy off the steady cam which got you down on the floor. And I'll think that I hadn't seen it before until until Shining, which I got nineteen seventy nine. But so I wrote that script and designed all of that with the doll because of what I'd seen with Dan Curtis and the Prey and the zuomidaland then what I saw on the Shining, And if I got it worked visually, it worked, you know. I mean that Dolphon turned into something terrifying. That's what I was doing. David Kirschner was looking for ways to merchandise everything Chuck ate, and you know, I mean in the combination of a movie the scared living hell out of you with a merchandising campaign that reached into every imaginable place you know, age And I mean, so Chuck is going to bury us all. Chuck is gonna be going long after we're both gone. You know. It's just so just amazing. And no I did not see it. I did beyond what I did, beyond the first movie to stand alone, you know.
Speaker 8: Going back to the fatal beauty in the cast, I mean, the cast is just amazing to have, like you know, John p. Ryan or Harris Eulen or Jennifer Warren. I mean, these are all just people that knock it out of the park every single time.
Speaker 9: Terrific cast. I think it's an excellent movie in Dean Reisner thought it was thought it was terrific, you know, and you know, and he surely did all the touch up. And the gal I don't know, the gal who rode over the original draft that it didn't Hillary Henkin, I think, yes, oh yeah, I don't know. But Dean I got to know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I've read one of her and Dean Reisner's drafts, and then one that Millius was taking a swag at as well.
Speaker 9: Well. Millius was on it before I was, and I took over his office there it was MGM then now Sony and in his office police piece supply wood screwed to the to the back of the door, and it was marked up with all these with all these knife marks. And what he'd done is he said it is that I was told. He said it his death and take it a knife, throw her right head of the door. Ain't bety been able to get it? So this so it's sinking in the back of the door to the plywood thinging for the put up. So I don't think he was thinking about a romantic comedy when he was doing Fatal Beauty, but he was on it before I was. Yeah, And then they toned it down. They toned it down for me, but then they took Whoopy and put her into that, and I don't I don't think I was as sophisticated then as I like to think I am now. Maybe if it had Norman Tanamar or comedy director. But I don't see how it. I never saw any way to turn that. There was there was no funny bone at its core was with Fatal Beauty. And so what you have is yet you should you should have a bit of Millius's vision, and you know, and the polishing by Dean rised her and then the personality the Whoopy paid put into it. But she played it, you know she did, and I thought she sold the violence pretty well. And I hope more people discover the film. But of all my films, it's it's it's probably the along with the TEMP, is the least mentioned. So there you go. The ending got screwed up. I don't want to get into it. But that was Bob who was that? That was Stanley Jaffey. They'd had he'd had success changing the ending on Fatal Attraction, was it? And then so we went crazy changing changed the end, not not the films, but the ending, and then changed the ending on John millis Is World War two film Navy, I think. And then then that I got I got hit on the TEMP. And then he also went after Sliver, so he got four or five films in a row. The endings got mauled by by Stanley Jeffy. I don't know if anything were successful beyond Fatal Attraction, but I don't know in terms of changing the ending adding that much more. But what he did is he softened it in uh in the TEMP. Well, thank you so much, this is great talking with you, we too, thank you very much.
Speaker 8: All Right, we are back and we were talking about Fatal Beauty and it is next week, which will play the preview in a little bit. Next week is going to be interesting because we've talked about these films three in a row with Jump and Jack, Flash, Burglar and Fatal Beauty, and these for me have always been and you were talking to earlier, Kevin Hike mash all of these things up in your head. There's a real flow to these films. But after this we get the Telephone, which is I want to say, based on a play, and it feels completely different. This is the last time we really get Whoop as a action hero for I think forever. You could make an argument that her character from Sister Act is a little bit of an action hero. There's a little bit of crossover with some of the stuff as far as her with her early character and then her nun character.
Speaker 3: But this is it.
Speaker 8: This was quite a little run for her with these three films, and I wish that she had stuck with being an action hero. I think she does a great job of it.
Speaker 1: Although she runs very funny. Whenever I see a running she waggles.
Speaker 8: I never noticed that before. Who runs funnier? Her Tom Cruise, Oh, Tom Cruise is a boss.
Speaker 1: He runs like a cheetah. Keep running, Tom Cruise. I just watched him yesterday in a few Good Men because we're doing courtroom dramas. I like stunned that he went through the eighties, which was an incredible run for him, winning an Oscar. He is a fucking phenomenal actor, like way better than his persona would have you believe, or his recent a decade a plus of outpush. But yeah, he was a great actor in the eighties, like back to back, like such charismatic, brilliant performances. But WHOOPI ones like, it's funny.
Speaker 5: When you talk about what Obviously there's this stand up era, there's her TV work, the Star Trek stuff that she did that endeared her to so many, and then you've got things like the Color Purple and Ghosts, which are her high the high level Academy stuff, the Sister Act movies, people like those are good crowd pleasers. So she has this range. That's the thing. I really like, I have a lot more respect. When I sat down I thought about it, I was like, here's someone who's been around. I don't know how much it crossed over into Ireland and the UK with her, but beyond the film piece, but just been in the culture for like over forty years when you think about it, and there always just seem to be something on with her. And then still she's got the view like the talk show panel stuff. So I've got a lot of respect for her and her opinions on things, and her willingness to be out there and to take chances too. I think that's a great thing.
Speaker 1: I also want to just sing the prices of her book again, because I was very surprised at how touching it was. She's a great storyteller as well. She has this book that's about her mother and her brother when she both lost them and how much it destabilized her and that the people that knew her most intimately and could confirm all of her recollections were gone, and her trying to basically navigate life without them. And she talks about growing up in the projects with a single mother, and it's a really fantastic book. It's so touching. But she's just a great storyteller as well. Do you forget that she wrote all of her plays and her one woman shows and stuff, So she's a great writer as well.
Speaker 8: I wish that she had an even better run. She's great in some of the things that she did after this, like Clara's hard or there's a couple of weird missteps with Homer and Eddie. I know people love soap dish. I actually want to go back and rewatch that.
Speaker 1: I loved Made in America. I thought that was funny.
Speaker 8: I have not seen that yet.
Speaker 1: I was a kid in that. I remember Jennifer Tilly as well, and where she was a hyperactive like bimbo and she can't whel naked across the bedroom in front of Ted Danson where he couldn't keep up with her.
Speaker 8: That's a selling point right there.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a funny film, and will Smith that as well. It was good crack. But yet to your point, Rob, she wasn't as well known for all of her ancillary stuff. It was the movies, and only some of the movies, like these last three didn't really cross over. They weren't theatrically released over here. So there were like films that you might catch if they were on TV or in the video shop, but they didn't have any big public the push behind them. There was nobody marketing them. They just appeared one day and you eat a sort of but you didn't.
Speaker 5: The only thing I can really think of when it comes to this, and we brought it up already, is that it does live within this continuum, and someone would I'm sure there's a book some film researchers looked at it of cup procedurals and certain cliche elements or blending of elements that they just kept recycling these from the early seventies through. You still have them today to a certain extent. It seems like they've moved more onto TV though as you get into the nineties. But there just seemed to be a whole maybe like twenty years where these kind of films you get several of them a year, kind of standard fair. You know, usually every action star had at least one of them. There was, you know, like we talked about with her Eddie Murphy, it was like it was a way to try and get comedians up to the next echelon or something. I just find them an interesting document of an era, you know, really beyond they're just pure entertainment value, but meaning what do they represent in terms of the time. And one of the things that I wrote in my notes for this movie was shoot Out at the Mall totally Eighties.
Speaker 8: Yeah, immediately I was thinking of Commando or gosh, even Police Story three. There's so much broken glass in this, or not Police Story three, Police Story the original, there's so much broken glass in this film. I was like, Wow, this is They're really going for it. They really are going to blow the shit out of this mall. And yeah, that is such an eighties thing.
Speaker 1: Blues borders with the cop cat chase, true to mail, it was.
Speaker 5: The era of the malls, at least in America.
Speaker 8: Whenever I hear Rossoli, of course, I think of Rossoli and Iles, the TV show that was from the twenty tens where Andrew Harmon was Jane Rossoli. I was hoping it might have been a sequel where Rita comes back, but no, she's Jane Rizzoli. And then there's Sasha Alexander is Mora Isles. And that's the the id and the super ego type of thing, which I guess plays also into the whole thing of the Kroll versus the Brad Duraff character, where it's like Kroll is so super cool and super calm and just very matter of fact with Whoopee as Resoli, and then Dorf is just completely whacked out through the whole thing that Milius draft. Again going back to that, the three guys in that one they wear what was it like, a Hitler mask, a wolf mask, and a porky pig mask. Through the opening heist that happens, and it's fucking crazy, blood, blood, wolf and step.
Speaker 1: It begins with her beating up a couple of nuns.
Speaker 8: Because she noticed their shoes and they're like, She's like, oh, those are way too good a shoes for nuns to be wearing.
Speaker 1: They're wearing Adie, which apparently were the shoes of drug dealers. I could not imagine Share in this film though, even though she's a great actress and I was imagining her in the Ear of Suspect and things like that, but it just it wouldn't work for me. It wouldn't have the same bounce to.
Speaker 8: It Share was doing. Okay, I think she took Moonstruck instead, So good for her. Yeah, I don't know if you guys speaking of would be Goldberg vehicles, but the one that she made in ninety five called Boys in the Side, Did you guys ever see that?
Speaker 1: I have seen it. I thought that was cute. She sings in that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I really like that. I thought it was a great movie. I haven't seen it since it's probably ninety six, but I remember really liking that.
Speaker 1: And it's rare for a road trip movie that isn't film and Louise. That's more of a chase movie, but a road trip movie that has three female leads. It's riding the line between something like Beaches and something like the majority of other Yeah, but it's that kind of thing where one of the characters ends up dying. And but yes, sweet story. We watched a load of world movies recently and that was one of the rare outliers because I had women in it.
Speaker 8: I almost for this series. I almost said that we should do the Associate from ninety six.
Speaker 3: How do you succeed in business?
Speaker 8: Try showing some cleavage.
Speaker 5: Joined the Boys Club?
Speaker 11: Men like doing business with men.
Speaker 5: By becoming a man.
Speaker 8: I need a new look, Old White and Man.
Speaker 5: On October nineteen, my name is Robert County, don't miss a sleek.
Speaker 9: Review of The Boy.
Speaker 4: Critics are calling an outrageously funny comedy man as Whoopy Goldberg makes a killing.
Speaker 1: In the market.
Speaker 3: I can't afford to have a term The Associated.
Speaker 5: Britty PG thir D special sneak review this Saturday.
Speaker 8: I really like that movie. I especially like the Diane Waste character in there. But Whoopee is really good in that and we keep talking about how she put on these characters to go in drag and turn white in that movie. Normall, Oh, it's a great one. But for the reason why I didn't choose it was because it's a remake. And it's actually like the fifth remake or fifth adaptation of a story from I want to say, like the nineteen thirties, written by I want to say, an Italian author, and they made so many different versions. It's basically somebody anybody who sets up a fake person. It's very Captain Tuttle, right. It's like I set up this fake person and they're the one who's really in charge, and I'm just following orders. And but I'm the smart person, and I'm just giving the fake person all the good ideas, and the good ideas come from them, and they're somebody of much higher status, or in Whoopee's case, it's an old white guy. So she's, oh, mister so and so is an available right now. But she's giving all of this stuff and basically creating an empire with this fake person. And of course at the end it's we have to see this person that this is necessary that we do this. And she's great. But like I said, Day and West, throughout that movie you find out, oh, she's actually the power behind the throne at this other company and she comes over with and works with Whoope, and you're just like, oh, she's These two women could take on the entire fucking world.
Speaker 3: And I really like that.
Speaker 5: I'm actually amazed that you didn't do this because, as Kevin said, he loves Donald Trump, and I guess he's in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, I just love his character. I just think he's he speaks to me such a decent person and he has such great ideas. I really think him and Musk are going to save the world.
Speaker 9: Really, be careful.
Speaker 8: People are gonna think you're.
Speaker 5: You're gonna go.
Speaker 1: Slash my wrists. But what do you say that, Mike? I was thinking of American fiction where Jeffrey Wright creates this fictional lower class ghetto author in order to appeal appeal to like these medical lost white readers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I have yet to find an English translation of that original book, but I really want to and that I have found a couple versions of this movie, the different adaptations of it. But there was a seventies one I want to say that.
Speaker 1: Was just a bit like A Star Is Born.
Speaker 8: Yeah, exactly, And I want to say that it was your friend Rob. Jean Claud Carrier was one of the authors of that seventies one.
Speaker 5: I pulled it up and it says here it was Renee Gainville The Associate seventy nine French film. Yeah, Jean Claud Carrier did the adaptation on that.
Speaker 8: But yeah, if you look at the author it goes back even further, which is crazy. It's the Gennaro Prieto book that goes back to the early part of the centuries. Yeah, twenties. Okay, I thought it was thirties, but apparently I spoke with somebody recently. Oh, I spoke with Nick Thiel, who wrote the screenplay for the at the adaptation for the American stuff, And apparently Donald Petrie, the director of the Associate, really did not get along with Whoopee at all. So I'm like, I probably won't be able to talk with him. But THEO was very open and you'll hear that interview when we talk about v I Warshowski much later in the year in November. Is that noir is neo noir. We're doing a lot of neo noirs this year.
Speaker 5: We don't make distinctions metals metal. You want to get into black metal or doom or sludge or speed metal. It's all metal.
Speaker 8: So it's not Cookie Monster singing. I really can't stand that cookie monster voice. All right, We're going to take another break and play a preview for next week's show right after these brief messages.
Speaker 4: Coming from New Line Home Video Academy Award winner Whoopi Goldberg stars home video exclusive for the entire family. I'm back Theodore Rex from the People that Brought You Monkey Trouble and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Movies. Whoopee is Katie Coltrane, a futuristic, wise cracking cop who's a heartbeat away from losing her job until she's forced to team up with a new wave in law enforcement.
Speaker 5: It's a dinosaur, you too solve this case again.
Speaker 7: It's a dinosaur new partner, Coltrane.
Speaker 5: To solve a crazy crime, you gotta make them look like a real cop.
Speaker 4: And together they're hitting the streets to have a good time, You Cannot eat our only suspect, and save the world from a colossal crime caper. My Powers from the creative team of Honey, I Shrunk, The Kids Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and Televisions Hit Showed Dinosaurs, he.
Speaker 6: Booking, Your Mind shut Down, and your glands have taken over.
Speaker 4: Whoopy's films deliver big time. These films alone have sold over six million in video units.
Speaker 6: Oh Hey, God, is hey y'all doing?
Speaker 5: And you think You're gonna get somebody?
Speaker 4: Nando Marketing support includes a three sided standee with Rumble in the Bronx and Bed of Roses, and a Dino sized four pack with a Rumble in the Bronx sweatshirt and twenty Theodore Rex key chains. The Theodore Rex trailer will be seen on the Bed of Roses and Rumble in the Bronx releases, generating over fifty million consumer impressions. Ah, It's a thirty five million dollar star studded tail. You'll never forgetting at the table.
Speaker 11: Just clacked the day out leaf with woo Can you just slide your button?
Speaker 5: In?
Speaker 4: Nineteen ninety six is best family comedy.
Speaker 9: Theodore Rex love when he does that.
Speaker 8: That is right. We are wrapping up Wooperary next week with a look at Theodore Rex. Until then, I want to thank my co host Robin Kevin. So, Rob, what's been going on with you, sir.
Speaker 5: I'm just enjoying my time up in the high desert and getting out into nature doing some hikes. Hope to do some traveling in the coming months. And I'm probably within i don't know, a couple of thousand words, a couple of more pages on first draft of a novel I've been working on for the last couple of months. So I'm pretty happy about that. So not much beyond that.
Speaker 8: Oh, not much. Just writing a book, that's all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, with no plans to ever release it. I'm just writing for the sake of writing. I have no contract. I'm just doing it for myself.
Speaker 8: Kevin, When you're not writing your pro Trump blog, what else are you up to?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm in the middle of a script right now and I'm stuck overout fifty pages into it. So I'm looking forward to watching Theodore Rex. No, I'm still I'm over with my co host Will on the Best Bits podcast where we just talk about different topics each episode, and we have the Crack and so you're welcome to come and check us out over there. It's a very different kind of podcast where we're much more about having the crack and poking fun at the business that we unfortunately working.
Speaker 8: So you're smoking crack over there, is that what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can't get our hands off Fentinel at the moment because there's a shortage. Yeah, Crack is freely available and thanks.
Speaker 8: Again guys for being on the show. Thanks everybody for listening. If you want to hear more of me shooting off my mouth, check out some of the other shows that I work on. They are all available at weirdingwaymedia dot com. Thanks especially to our Patreon community. If you want to join the community, visit patreon dot com slash Projection Booth. Every donation we get helps the Projection Booth take over the world.
Speaker 9: You can't.
Speaker 5: I think he's sprainingen say spinning. You doesn't lay it one.
Speaker 6: Time you never got a seven for us a.
Speaker 1: Time where.
Speaker 5: You brought up in the world.
Speaker 8: But when the loose us up the sun.
Speaker 5: Spinning in the world, seen.
Speaker 6: Don'ts you know you can't stand the fall.
Speaker 1: I think he's spending move.
Speaker 6: Don't spread enough.
Speaker 11: So you wort twice to me, tell me fyce because they got me a dance.
Speaker 6: The wall, the aim, no got no to fat baby. It's my there to gun, next job at the time, you say, and my mom.
Speaker 5: But maybe.
Speaker 6: I think explaining, yeah, say, displaying no smock give a sun.
Speaker 1: Maybe some friends shine, so.
Speaker 6: Snif say.
Speaker 11: Student snipe bon, students sign.
Speaker 6: And snipe sh