Speaker 1: Hell. Everybody to the facilities of the iHeartMedia Megaplexus is Dick Gabriel. It's a state wide edition of the Big Blue in Society. Heard Mark Pope's comments, some telling comments as well, or Darren Hedrick and a host of folks talking about UK women's basketball, what the year they got going as well. It's softball and baseball time as well. We'll talk about all of that with Billy Rutligion, Aaron gershon here on the state wide BBI from Pikeville to Paduica. It is the Big Blue Insider, Dick Gabriel, Billy Rutledge, Aaron Gershawan again on a Wednesday. As mister Leech pointed out, with the road game on Tuesday, everything slides over. That's why we have two games to talk about, neither one of them happy experiences. Aaron was at both. Billy produced both games on the radio. I was, of course at the home game, but not in Oxford, been there before. Aaron and I were talking before the game about the fact that that's just another arena where trying to become more relevant in basketball. They spent money on coaches, on facility on the arena, and I was amazed, Aaron, when you told me it wasn't No, it was not.
Speaker 2: I mean it was, yes, And there were a lot of Kentucky fans. We're talking about Pregame, a lot of the folks in western Kentucky. That's an easy road trip. But yeah, it wasn't like, it wasn't anything crazy. I was going back through some pictures to see like tip off crowds and through the my the last three years have been to almost every SEC road game outside of LSU. Last year that was probably the smallest and not I'm taking Vandy out of it, because Kentucky fans packed that place. So yeah, it was a little bit of a weaker crowd than I was expecting, and it was also a much weaker effort than I was expecting.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's where I was going. First, we heard Pope's comments, and you've written about it, and I've talked about it on the radio, and Billy has uh but tell me a little bit because you you got firsthand knowledge yep about body language.
Speaker 2: Oh not yours, not minors. Theirs wasn't good. Yeah, it was not good.
Speaker 1: It was look I mean from the beginning, they just looked disinterested.
Speaker 2: Last night it was just remember Mark Pope his big thing in like the locker room. And then after the game against Tennessee last Tuesday was we would there's nowhere we'd rather be than right here in Tennessee playing this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it was like and they played that way right last night.
Speaker 2: It was I'd rather be anywhere but Oxford, Mississippi playing this game.
Speaker 1: That's how it looked from the opening tip. They fell behind before you can even.
Speaker 2: Watch, like before the it felt like before the ball was even tipped, they were down five to nothing. It just snowballed so quickly and they're down eleven quickly. And end of the first half was when it all boiled over. Obviously sixteen three run and the sequence that there are a couple of things that stand out, but the sequence that kind of summed it up for me is Kobe Kentucky couldn't get anything going offensively in the first Obviously the defense the main issue, we'll talk about it, but the offense Ole missed had switches one through five, they give really good looks. Kentucky was confused they had nothing going. So Kobe Brea pulls up from past the logo like deeper than Trentonoah's three down in Knoxville last week. Expectedly, he misses, almost gets an easy rebound. Their little five to ten point guard from Saint Peter's, by the way, gets that point guard he was on that team. They it turns into a transition three where no one on Kentucky hustles back. On the other end, Kentucky comes back down the floor, they turn it over almost immediately and it turns into a transition layup where there was very little hustle coming down the floor. That just summed it up for me. It was just poor effort.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And when they started Billy baumbing away from three and again, as was the case for some guys in the Arkansas game, guys who ordinarily don't hit threes were thrown them in.
Speaker 3: But they're wide open, standing still wide open.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then even into the second half, when Kentucky's offense played better, they were hitting contested threes deep. And you know, that was a team that averaged seven threes again and they had over that in the first half. And it's like this Kentucky defense is not great, you know, back to back really bad halves. If you look at the second half of the Arkansas game in the first half, Ole miss and and it's discouraging because if Tennessee doesn't miss thirty four to three.
Speaker 1: Pointers, they lost five in a row.
Speaker 3: You've lost five in a row. It's four or five right now. It's just head scratching because this team beats Duke and you know they they beat Gonzaga with no point guards, and they even going into Knoxville and beat Tennessee Florida. But yet, like you know, a lack of urgency and effort being questioned. Now it's like these injuries have really taken a toll on not only the players Psyche, but maybe even the coaches. After we heard Mark Pope is bleeding from a hand and breaking furniture. So it's this play. This team is in a really weird spot.
Speaker 1: Though he's not taking a lion down. Yeah, you know, he's not all sweetness and light. But when you think about it, to your point about Tennessee foolishly jacking up forty five threes. If Florida hits free throws, yeah they lose that game, but they made enough place to win. You've got to give them credit for winning. They beat a really good Florida team and a pretty good Tennessee team and a good A and M team. That's right.
Speaker 2: So in Mississippi State, like they have really good wins, you've got to wonder.
Speaker 1: And some of these are older guys, somemmer kids. Are they kind of leaning into well, Lama's not here. We don't have our best defender and great defense. Team. Defense begins with on ball pressure. Everybody knows that, but you watch well. For instance, last night, in the first half, Ole miss slid seamlessly into its offense with very little Kentucky resistance. And now when they start attacking a bucket, they'd start, oh my goodness, we got to guard the room too late, and they either get to the rim or kick it at for a wide three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I asked after the game with the three, I mean, the most glaring thing right now is the three point defense the last five games. It's not even just the percentage. I did coucut the percentage just thirty seven percent and take away all those threes Tennessee hit or missed. I should say, yeah, I'd love to see it the four games without Tennessee included, but Kentucky's taking I think it's one hundred and twenty three three is their last five games, opponents have taken one sixty eight. Yeah, so they're getting beat at what they want to do because they're giving these looks. But point is, I asked Mark Pope, is it is it not closing out on guys or is it your scouting reports are guys are hitting above average? And he said it's a mix of both. But that's where you would think with this coaching staff that has at times done wonderful jobs just game planning, scheming things, would go into halftime and say, look, this guy's hot tonight. We have to close out on him, and we just haven't seen it. Like Big Z, for example, is a forty percent was a forty percent three shooter going into that game on Saturday against Arkansas. I think he hit a three very early. He hit another three, but before the half, there was no adjustment to bring guys out on him. They just kind of let him have it. It was I don't know if it's a lack of effort of bad scouting what it is, but it's ugly right now.
Speaker 3: Well, more on what Mark Pope said tonight. I mean he was asked if there's a vocal leader on the team, and he basically said no, and then the first person he talked about was Lamont Butler being the heart and soul of the team. And when you don't have your heart and soul break, I mean, you can look a little lost out there. And I feel like Kentucky's defense definitely does look lost at times. I mean, I'm optimistic they can improve, but how much can you improve midway through the year with.
Speaker 1: A bunch of old guys, A bunch old guys.
Speaker 3: Maybe the game being Saturday at noon will be good for these old guys.
Speaker 1: I kind of look at it a little differently. I know what you're saying, but I think the old guys are better equipped to process stuff because of that experience. You know, if this were a bunch of new kids, I would wonder, you know, yeah, I mean, they're more of a of a blank template. But on the other hand, it takes experience to figure things out. And you know, these guys have played a lot of basketball, but it's it's beyond x's and o's quite frankly, I do think it's you know, you wonder, why, why, why in the world were they sleepwalking? Oh? In the first part of that game.
Speaker 2: They looked again they just looked disinterested. They just did not want to be there. It was the first time all year were you know, they've had some games where they've stunk Georgia, they stunk Ohio State, they stunk. That was the first game. I was like, Wow, they just there. They're not in it today. They're not mentally there.
Speaker 1: You know. The weirdest stat from the entire game assist the turnovers, oh almost turned it on twenty four assists one to one turnover and the one who was a guy bounced it off his knees. That's right.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't like I've ever seen a stat line like that either. And then you add on top of that, Ansley Almanor and Trent Noah joined the trillion club and played what fifteen minutes and didn't record a single.
Speaker 1: Stat fifteen for aman Or in thirteen for.
Speaker 3: Noah, and Trent no is a guy that had two good games back to back. Then he doesn't play in the Arkansas. That didn't bother me, and then he plays fifteen minutes or thirteen minutes and doesn't do anything there. To a degree, it feels like Mark Pope, with the injuries, is just throwing lineups out there, he's just trying to admitted.
Speaker 1: Then he's admitted as much. Then you also get the fourth triple double in program history. By the way, about that, it's like, what happened about that? That's what a weird see. I'm watching the Arkansas game and I said to myself, huh, well, I haven't seen Noah yet. I wonderful see him. But first game, sure, but when you look at what he brings his skill set, that wasn't what they needed against Arkansas. They needed perimeter defense and I was kind of glad to see Chandler out there because he's quicker, you know. Uh, And I thought he did okay for you know, for a true freshman, and yeah he comes with uh. I think he came a trent against a miss because they needed a little of everything, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean anything could have been better than what we saw in the same after that Arkansas game, So maybe you know, I don't know, it's it's you know, that was really disappointing. I mean after the environment that we saw in rep Arena. And you know, col was very gracious, really was. He knew his postgame comments were, but I remember.
Speaker 1: The cal well, no he was gracious. I'm saying, I don't know if.
Speaker 3: Auburn we're here for something different.
Speaker 1: These people came to see me standing I'm going to indeed where we have one, two, three, four, five, six, seven All Stars and two left out? Oh my god. No, but I was expecting a little bit of that for being honest. But you're right.
Speaker 2: He was absolutely gracious. He was classy, he was complimentary, and look at the end of the day to his team's two and six, So there's not much gloating he can really do. But no, he handled it great, and so do the players.
Speaker 1: I think. I think Arkansas is a great example of addition by subtraction. And that's not a knock on Boogie Flann. He's a great player, yeah, and he's going to have a nice career. But yeah, what happens after they lose him? They're forced to play more of a balanced game, right, Yes, But unfortunately for Kentucky you can't say the same about when you lose Lamont Butler because he gets you in your offense and he starts your defense different, different thing entirely.
Speaker 2: The one thing I do wonder with this team is, and I think a talking point on the radio tonight was fatigue. Right, Yes, Arkansas, they are very shorthanded. They already cow made the mistake of only signing nine guys. Then you lose Boogie jonas Ad who's barely been able to play. So they're really down to seven and their guys are you like.
Speaker 1: And they don't get much from Knox or Richmond.
Speaker 2: Right, DJ played thirty eight in that game, didn't look tired at all. Do look thirty played thirty six, didn't look tired at all. And then I believe someone else played thirty two, thirty five, Janelle Davis, Kentucky's guys, they they can't get those minutes from anyone on this team. And I just wonder if that's I know, Pope, last year by you played eleven guys. Going into this year, the plane was to play ten or eleven guys. Maybe that's a philosophy thing, but I just feel like this team and we saw it even in the Alabama game when the Mott was still playing, and Andrew Carr he played, he was limited, but he played. Remember the big talking point. He got to eighty one, eighty one, and then Pope said, the team random of gas.
Speaker 1: Why is that?
Speaker 2: I'd love to that's a question I want to ask tomorrow. It was why the other teams? It doesn't seem last night Old Miss had three guys played thirty five plus. They didn't seem tired at all. Your guys look exhausted if they're playing all.
Speaker 1: I can't speak for that goes on or what does? Maybe teams got a bad batch. Je Davis is a fifth year though. Teams that are winning, teams that are playing well, Uh, they they tire out the other team. The other team's always chasing them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Arkansas's played like crap all year and you go look at the minute logs.
Speaker 1: It's like that every game.
Speaker 2: True, So it's just to me, Uh, I don't know, it's it's a mess right now. It's kind of an all systems failure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know Jackson Robinson isn't completely comfortable with the ball in his hands, I don't think. And you know you've got forty plus turnovers in three games now without LaMonte Butler.
Speaker 1: How many times you've ever heard of a guard who's not comfortable with a ball in his hands?
Speaker 3: How often do you hear that? You know that you don't hear that often. It's more like you want the ball, like or you've spent your whole high school career being the guy.
Speaker 1: With the ball. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Remember Pope told the story about Jackson after the Gonzagga game, how they ran him at point last year. I'll never play point guard again. So it's not exactly a guy who loves that position.
Speaker 1: I don't know him at all. I've you know, spoken to him like you have, But I just wonder, is he kind of a guy that just can't get out of his own head? You know it? Sure? Yeah, because he struggled here until Pope said Anna talked to him and said, look, you're carrying too much of a mental emotional low. Just relax and playing. That was his very next game.
Speaker 2: And look he shot the ball well last night. Had some turnovers. There's one play where it's like, be physical and reach out for a loose ball.
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 2: But the body language again, when we're talking about the body language. Going into halftime, Jackson had his hands in his head with the towel, just looking down, holding a towel into his head with his head down like he cares. He absolutely cares, and a way to strike that balance. There's a video out there when he walked out of the locker room after the Arkansas game just consolate, you know, Oh, put his arms around him and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: No, you want to see that. But on the matter hand, you need to see a little more fire on the floor. Yeah. Absolutely, And yet they played with earlier this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they did, they did, And yet there's still this the number two best offense in the country when it comes to efficiency.
Speaker 1: Best in school history.
Speaker 2: So there's so they're number one, number two, I'm sorry an offense efficiency, which I think they're only behind Bamar.
Speaker 1: What are they won ten and they're one fourteen in defense, which is the worst in school history. So they've the this is worse than last year. Yes, so since nineteen this is ninety six ninety seven season perk. So they're the best offensive efficiency in school history, but the worst defense of efficiency in school history. Didn't see that coming.
Speaker 3: Just get a little better on defense and this could be such a magical run. But you know, now I'm thinking about Wednesday of the SEC tournament and then yeah with the New brack first round of the NCAA tournament. Because Mark Pope doesn't have a single NCAA tournament win. Oh, it doesn't oounced by Ducane.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask you this though, prior to the season, what were your expectations just one nanc right, Yeah, let's get to the five hundred everyone, you know, maybe go five hundred in the league, get to the tournament and win a game, and then yeah, when the quad one wins start to come, Hey we're gonna get to the sweet sixteen. Hey, how we're gonna get to the final four of the SEC tournament. Hey you know, oh, okay, that's all will and good. And then you lose your best guy. That's true. No, it's and if I had told you right after they had beaten some of those quad one teams, oh, as you head into the teeth of the SEC schedule, you're going to be with al La mont Butler and for some of those games. No, Andrew Carr, who for quite a while was before Williams caught fire, was doing anything. So if I told you, by the way, you're not going to have them have fun that I agree with all that from a wins and losses standpoint. What I think is very concerning. It's how they're losing.
Speaker 2: They just the last two games, specifically the energies, especially the Arkansas game has well, the Old Miss game were.
Speaker 1: I thought they came out firing worse.
Speaker 2: No, No, I meant like, especially the Arkansas game where you know what's at stake and to not come out yeah pistols firing really the whole forty minutes of my pot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ole Miss was worse, no.
Speaker 3: Question, against the second worst team in the SEC.
Speaker 1: That's correct, that too.
Speaker 3: I know they were motivated, but you were at home against a one in sixteens with seven dudes. Now you play South Carolina on Saturday that don't have a single win in the SEC, and you know that is a must win. And I mean I'm looking at like three maybe four more wins the rest of the way, because you've still got Auburn at home, You've still got Missouri on the road, You've got home Alabama. I think Vandy LSU to South Carolina or your three mus get wins.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no question.
Speaker 3: And if you don't, then I think you're on bubble watch.
Speaker 1: I'm watching I'm watching Arkansas this year and it was just I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I'm like, it's it's Kentucky all over again. And the ball was sticking, you know, But so much of that was hey, Boogie, save us right. They look nothing of very little like they have all year because no Boogie playing. Everybody's touching that part of it.
Speaker 2: But the first two games without Boogie, because I went back and watch to prepare for this game, it was a lot of the same sticking was it?
Speaker 1: This game?
Speaker 2: Cal Cal pretty much said, let's play like those guys. That's how it felt. And you know what, they were running plays like DJ was.
Speaker 1: Pointing to us.
Speaker 2: That's something pointing with hand signals. That's something watching Arkansas here and there all year.
Speaker 1: I'ven't seen halla Perry, Remember he said in a post game he told Wagner And when he said it, I thought, you idiot, why aren't you doing that all year? He told us the media, he said, I told Wagner to run stuff so they weren't looking at me. I'm like, where was that last year? No Carol was at this season?
Speaker 2: I put it, this is the problem with him. I mean, early in his ten years, excellent, all that whatever. Lately it's kind of been when he's really motivated, he's going to coach his head off, like he's going to be unbelievably successful, like the Auburn game last year. He coached circles around burst Paul Pearl. Same thing just happened here when he came in, motivated his heck to win this game.
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 2: He was gracious, he didn't brag about it, you know how bad he wanted it, and he coached like it.
Speaker 3: And he's won a lot of regular season games. Like, don't get that twist. I mean he was a two seed the year they lost to Saint Peters. Yeah, the three seed last year. So but you know, what can you do in March? And what if you do, you get your players prepared on the biggest stage.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. And how a player isn't motive motivated to playing the NC tournament, I will never understand they, you know, or they just look scared in these tournaments lately.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm scared watching him.
Speaker 1: You're talking about your last two UK years. Three other pressure last three There was so much pressure built on them after that, even the Saint Peterstein they were so tight.
Speaker 3: I know they actually the three game premonition. I would be too all.
Speaker 1: Right, We'll take a break, come back and sift through more of this mess and talk a little football, baseball and basketball here on state wide BBI. Coming up on most of these stations is Kentucky South Carolina and and you talk about a team that's got nothing to lose, right Carolina guy SEC coach of the Year last year.
Speaker 2: He's doing against Kentucky, including when they remember it was two years ago when South Carolina came here as this is gonna be a quad three game. It was a Quad four game and they beat Kentucky here and then Kentucky the next game out quent to number five Tennessee.
Speaker 1: So what do you guys think we'll see? Do you think we'll see from Kentucky more of the focus, the fire, the desire. Let's assume the Lamont doesn't play. What do you think we see? Oh?
Speaker 3: I think this team plays up and down to their competition.
Speaker 1: So even with everything going against him right now, you think they'll come out slide in that? You do? Really? Yeah? Wow? I do?
Speaker 3: I mean unless they show me different. I don't see them dominating a weaker opponent in the SEC until they do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think they'll win this game, but yeah, I don't see it being so they haven't blown anyone else period. Even the games they played really.
Speaker 1: Well, right, I don't know if they're amazing. Yeah, and right now times they've been up over one hundred points.
Speaker 2: And they still have done it. So but look South Carolina. It's an interesting matchup in the sense CAROLINEA is terrible offensive, Yeah, terrible. I think they're one thirty fourth in kent pomp. But they're a really good defensive team and their whole goal is to muck things up and make it really physical. And they're kind of like the type of team Kentucky struggled with earlier this season. So you can see where I could see Kentucky having some trouble points and having some stretches in this game where it's ugly. But I think with everything that's on the line and knowing what this guy, I just I have a hard time. I'll give him some benefit of the doubt. I just have a hard time knowing Mark Pope how much this place means to them. Some of the comments on air tonight of Alley's punction tables and channeling his inner coach Patino. I think I'm not going to predict a blowout, but I think they're gonna be favored by like eight or nine.
Speaker 1: Probably, what do you think, Billy or the Vegas guy.
Speaker 3: Maybe a little less? Okay, I'd say maybe six or seven is at home?
Speaker 2: It is at home. Yeah, so let's say it's seven. I could see where take South Carolina on the points, but Kentucky wins again, I.
Speaker 1: Canna be more than seven, and then yeah I would. I would take the points as.
Speaker 3: Well, and they can start flat and still win the game.
Speaker 1: True. Yeah, South Carolina, though, will keep them from getting I think that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's no question they're very good. Look at and go look at Carolina scores. Now, they're almost all like two to three possession games. Florida they were up. Florida literally beat them and they led the game for ten seconds.
Speaker 1: Watch that game. So they're a little dangerous. They're a little dangerous South Carolina. Person more to come and the state wide bb I stay with us. Border to border is the state wide Big Blue and Cider. Dick gabriel Are and Sean Billy Rutledge. We've got the picture in a picture, in a picture and a picture going. I looked down, Tennessee was trailing by eight. I look up and now the balls are up by six with eight to play, leading Missouri, which is a really troublesome, gritty kind of team. Louisville has got a twelve point lead at Boston College, which is not a good team. But you're on the road in front of twelve people, but on the road, exactly what do you say about the acc It stinks. It's terrible. Yeah. Two good teams, maybe three, I'd say Louisville, Clemson and uh Duke. Yes, that's it.
Speaker 3: The coaches are dropping like flies over there. Yeah, and it's just been a steady.
Speaker 1: Halton, the former Kentucky assistant, and now it's just your retire.
Speaker 3: At least he's going to finish the year. Oh yeah, I mean Larynaga just dropped him.
Speaker 1: Miami. Well, he wanted to get an assistant to job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hate that too.
Speaker 1: Tennessee.
Speaker 2: I know they'd be Florida Saturday, but how do they four spots in a one in one week where they lost at home to Kentucky, who then lost to Arkansas and unranked.
Speaker 1: Florida game was part of that cycle, Yes, but Florida by thirty. Well, Florida's best player got hurt before halftime and didn't play the whole second half. Yeah, they beat him the whole they did. Kentucky still time was fifteen, right, Kentucky still top fifteen, but they lost to them at home, and then Kentucky in the same cycle lost to unranked Arkansas.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying Tennessee's not good. I just don't know how you've done. I get if they went from like eight to seven, eight to six.
Speaker 1: I think Tennessee was over ranked maybe earlier. Yeah, and they were winning. Yeah, they had our time scoring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'll give the voters. I mean, this year, it's kind of tough. You know, the three best teams in whatever order you want, is Auburn, Duke in Alabama. I don't think anyone's arguing with that. And then after that, it's like there are a lot of pretty good teams, but no one that is in that top three tier like those three teams.
Speaker 1: So those three teams are different.
Speaker 3: And Kentucky beat Duke. They shared Alabama to have five point game something like that. There were one hundred ninety nine or something like that.
Speaker 1: One Oh yeah, they lost by five, one ninety seven.
Speaker 3: And they'll play Auburn, so they'll get their shot against the three best teams in the country.
Speaker 1: We're about the midwe we'll play Alabama again too. Oh yeah, we're about the midway point of the season. So let me ask you this. If I said you can have Auburn or the field for the nca Championship, what do you think.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say the field because I'm very much on Duke.
Speaker 1: If I said Duke or the Duke, what did you really? Yeah? I think they have that.
Speaker 2: But we talked about how I forget if it was on narrow off air, but talk about how Kentucky's best teams with cal had the blend of the elite, elite freshman and the vets. That's what Duke is. And they have the number one pick in the draft, they have another two other lottery picks, and then they have some vets they brought in or retained that have really helped them. So I'll go with Duke.
Speaker 3: I would take Auburn versus the field. They just they're very, very talented. And that Broom kid wasn't he transfer, you know, was worried that what they would do without him, and he feels I feel like he's gotten back quicker than I initially expected, So you know, I think, you know, reluctantly, it'll be Bruce Pearl.
Speaker 1: Wow getting a second n C championship. Yep, yep, D two level D one joke. You got that there, the joke thing.
Speaker 3: Never mind, we'll keep it moving.
Speaker 1: They've had I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know, and you know, Duke is playing in a terrible conference, but also well you know, and they.
Speaker 1: Look true, but I watched and I'm like, what am I seeing? You know, because they're playing against that streaker ACC teams. But you're right, they've got all the It's.
Speaker 2: Also not like they had like maybe one or one scare. I think you will look at their school worse. Yeah, they're doing what you're supposed to do if you're playing in a league where you're better than everyone, including they killed Louisville too, so and can.
Speaker 1: I assume you take the field over Alabama?
Speaker 2: Yes, I like Alabama, but same thing. We're kind of like Kentucky, not to the extent, but I don't think they can getting enough stops to win Nancy a.
Speaker 1: Tournament anybody else.
Speaker 2: Those are the only three teams I'll throw this caveat. I don't think they're nearly as good this year, but it's hard to doubt you. Yukon completely given the effective one two in a row, and they still have a couple guys from those.
Speaker 1: Two and their coach keeps losing his mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't so honestly like that. That's the only other team i'd throw into that they'll turn your back. I mean, the best coach in the coach you know who.
Speaker 1: I am talking to somebody the other day about the possibility that the SEC duplicates what the Big East did in the nineteen eighty five Final four, which was where Aaron was it? M sir, No, I couldn't tell you. I did not know that. Yeah, three Big East teams. Wow, and that was the Villanova Georgetown final. Okay, Memphis State, you know St. John's were the other ones. Saint John's only Final four period. Hey that's a team. By the way, if you want to throw in the field, you don't want them in your bracket.
Speaker 3: No, they're good and they have the best coach in the country. Still, in my opinion, Iowa State lost recently. I think they've lost three in a row. They have, and they've all been by double digits. So yeah, I mean they're high three in a row.
Speaker 1: By double digits. They lost to Kansas State. They lost Angis State at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then last Monday I was watching the hotel they got boat raced by Kansas and the game before that they lost to I forgot, but they've lost their in row.
Speaker 3: Kansas is a team I've seen blow several games.
Speaker 1: I don't get them. Yeah, they're weird.
Speaker 3: You Baylor Houston, Yeah, they lost that Houston game three times, and then.
Speaker 1: Baylor got spanked the other night. Yeah, Iowa States lost their last three up. I lost it. Come back to me on that. I'll get you.
Speaker 3: I definitely think Florida could get hot and oh yeah another team though, I just don't.
Speaker 1: Think enough stops. Yeah, true, Auburn Florida. But you know, in so many instances it and it does. I mean, there are very few teams that can roll through any bracket anytime. Yeah, it'll come down to who's in your bracket. You know, Louisville which is up sixteen now on BC, that'll be an NS tournament team, yep. And it'll depend on matchups, matchups, that's right, But it will with Kentucky too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well so yeah, the last three of Iowa State, they lost an overtime by eleven to Arizona. They lost by nineteen at home to a sub five hundred Kansas State, and then they lost by seventeen on the road and Lawrence they play on they have College Game Day is going to Aim Saturday, five hundred.
Speaker 1: That's who they're playing. And I Aloway State's lost three in a row. Who watches good good select.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm giving it, And you know what, I guess they went to Auburn two weeks ago, but it's Florida Auburn this weekend.
Speaker 3: Who was making programming decisions over there?
Speaker 1: Seth Greenberg?
Speaker 3: I mean, what a joke. Let's go to Duke, North Carolina. They're only going to play three times this year?
Speaker 1: Did you see that? I know it ended up being a little closer, but at one point Duke was up like forty two to seventeen or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a blowout early and then they kind of clawed back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unbelievable. My brother I was just telling you guys. Worked a girls high school game the other night Sacred Heart Academy, which has defending champion and as the best player in the state, and she's being recruited by Lashue I think she's already committed. Yeah, Kentucky got in on her when when he they signed Kenny Brooks. She reopened a little bit. But Kim Maulky's at the game, big deal. I believe the final score and I do not know who they were playing eighty four to seven, eighty four to stop the count at least as when my brother texted me, I wondered if he was sitting. But yeah, this is sacred heart, you said, academy, you got your might have been eighty six to seven eight? Really, yeah, eighty seven never been known for uh powerhouse bas except when we Suncil was there. Oh my god, yeah awful, yeah, secret. That's where my sisters went to school. But they sure weren't playing basketball like that. Really, that's according to Maxims, who they've played. Wow, that's but yeah, Kim Moulky was there.
Speaker 3: Yeah did you did your son notice the cheetah print and then say, hey, that's Kim Moulkey.
Speaker 1: He knew she was coming. They all knew she was coming, and uh they come to Apparently he sent me a photo show we're off the air. She's hard to.
Speaker 2: Miss that game at Memorial later this month, already sold.
Speaker 1: Out I'll tell you what people want. Some people want to knock the UK women because of their schedule. Stop it. They're eighteen and two, thank you, Yes they have, but yeah, the last three games is murderers roll.
Speaker 2: They also they also just went on the road and with the rank an Oklahoma team that was I think ahead of them.
Speaker 1: Thirteen depend on the poll. You look, okay, it depends on twelve thirteen, thirteen, twelve, but still you're on the road, and you're on the road, and you have George Amos forty three, forty three, So yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, look, they haven't played South Carolina or Elsie. We get it, but just enjoy it. They never We're not talking about Kentucky men's basketball, talking about women's. They don't exactly have the same history or the same storied tradition. Let it have some fun with it.
Speaker 1: But they finish with Tennessee LSU and South Carolina's brutal and the last game is South Carolina at South CARO. Wouldn't that be say, yeah, wouldn't that be something if that decided whether or not they shared. Is Carolina's still undefeated, that would be something else that would be pretty amazing. But it it just speaks so well for the job Kenny Brooks did building the roster, and mind you were talking about injuries. Two of his best players are out all the year. They won't I know, you know there are a couple of five stars. Our kids are really going to help them either.
Speaker 2: Claire Stratto's phenomenal. It's not like she's a senior fifth year, she's a sophomore. Got two more years of her Yes, yea.
Speaker 3: And Kenny doing a little bit different than Mark. You know, he was hired maybe a month earlier than Mark was. Yes, he brought a lot of his players from his former team. I didn't see that much with Pope, even though Jackson Robinson came.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 3: So and now he's having immediate success by just implementing what he was doing at Virginia Tech over at Kentucky.
Speaker 1: I don't know how many upper classmen kid last year.
Speaker 2: Mark, who could have had the two kids who were at Louisville Khalifa and uh Waterman. Then they remember they had that Richie Sunders kids who's having a really nice year by U. They had them on campus and you decided to stay. They had another kid, their point guard started decided to stay. They had a lot look, and so you gotta remember, b Yu, it's a little different to pluck transfers because it's a religious school. So you had a lot, you had a lot of guys who stayed on board there, and then you had some gat I.
Speaker 1: Was pleasantly surprised at Chandler came here.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, he's obviously talking about a kid who just served the two your mission, so you know he's religious, and yeah, it's you know, it was a little bit different, But I agree. I think the time my head to did Kenny. I think Kenny only took stracking aymore, are there any others I know his daughter, but she's a walk On's.
Speaker 1: A walk on. So I think that's what I think is really fascinating too. As Kenny told the story, you might have been at the press conference where remember there was a weird kind of string and you you've got to schedule people in here, Billy, So you might remember kind of an odd stretch of games where they played, uh they just played it odd times on odd days, and then they went a week or eight days without a game. Kenny said it was tough to schedule, you know, because he came in so late. But part of it too, was he got your to Aymore and he said there were people who were like, oh sure, yeah, well Kentucky, Yeah we'll we'll play. Yeah sure, oh wait you got Aymore. You know we're busy that week. Oh really Yeah, said that I don't think we'll be able to make it to election. It for a game, Georgia Aymore, huh, good luck, you know that kind of stuff. So that just what does that tell you about her? And then you've seen her play superstar? Oh man worth the price of admission. I was talking to Christy Thomas on my show the other.
Speaker 2: Day and only got like four or five games her left at home enjoy Yeah, oh yeah, she's unfortunately a fifth year.
Speaker 1: Yeah get there. But every time Oklahoma needed, you know, did something great Aymore. I was telling it was I was in Louisville and we're coming home and my wife from a family gathering, and I listened to the game all the way home with Darren and I get out of the car and I think the late third, early fourth, and Oklahoma for like the third time had made up almost entirely a twelve to a fifteen point deficit. Kentucky had been up and then Oklahoma comes back knocking down three pointers. I get out of the car. Kentucky's up one. I go in the house. We you know, take care of the dogs. Turn the TV on, Kentucky's up fifteen. They go off in another run. You know. So she tied a program record, right, yes, yeah, with Ryan Howard and someone else. Yeah. So anyway back to the men's game. You got the Cats in South Carolina, and what were you saying you had heard about Butler.
Speaker 2: I've heard some rumblings. Just keep your eyes on next Tuesday. I don't think it's gonna be Saturday, but keep your eyes on the Tennessee game. Here ross Tuesday, Tuesday, Tennessee Kentucky Remax reupper.
Speaker 1: You know, just keep an eye on it. So's I'm not guaranteeing anything.
Speaker 3: So while we wait for Lamont to come back, who will play a more pivotal role in these upcoming games? Travis Perry or Colin Chandler.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I like them.
Speaker 3: Because Chandler plays good defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll say this game Saturday, I'll go with Chileng Chandler because I think South Carolina is not a good I know South Carolina is not a good offensive team. Uh, and he could help just continue to slow them down. Whereas South Carolina's guards defensively are very good, and I think they're a little bigger and a tougher challenge for for Travis. See, that's why I think that was a good matchup for him.
Speaker 1: At he played well. It depends on how you tell me, how you frame your question.
Speaker 3: Again, who has a greater impact on the team's success Saturday or the rest of the games until Lamont Butler?
Speaker 1: I thought you mentioned Saturday. Okay, but see, I'll still see I'll stay with Travis simply because from what you were saying about South Carolina's defense. Yeah, I don't think Chandler can help get Kentucky into his offense. No, that's not his job, you know.
Speaker 2: He Yeah, I mean it was nice to see him get to the rack and score against Arkansas, But otherwise he's been.
Speaker 1: But he's more of a two. He's not ready. He's the number three point guard. Uh, you know, yeah in theory. Actually, I thought he's getting better. I agree. I thought he played a good game yesterday. I just think he's not great. Oh no, I meant not defensively.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this team doesn't need offense.
Speaker 1: They need defense exactly. Oh I know, but it also I mean, but for a freshman take anything to get you go with Chandler against Darkansas because Janelle Davis suddenly decides to become Janelle Davis again, which might have been Aaron. The biggest surprise in that Arkansas game.
Speaker 2: Not to Aaron gersha On, it wasn't. I had a feeling. I've watched again, my brother goes to f AU. I've watched too much. Nellie Davis. I knew it was coming, and it was coming eventually, and it's like, you know what the eyes he had for him, think about it. Everyone's written him off. All the eyes are on a D and on DJ and on z on Cal. He could just kind of be like, crap, I'm Janelle Davis, Like let's go.
Speaker 1: That's what he did, and then they put Chandler them and he disappeared.
Speaker 3: The biggest surprise was Cal making halftime adjustments. Yeah, sure that if he would have coached like that, he should still would still be a Kentucky. I mean, the guy just pulled out all the stops for that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, like I said, if if made isn't hit that shot for North Carolina and Kentucky goes to the final four. Calla Perry is still here.
Speaker 3: Well, if he didn't keep the Harrison Twins in and played some other guys. You know, if we can choke an eight point lead against Saint Peter's and then they play Murray and then they played if.
Speaker 1: They don't blow a lead against Auburn, yeah, or if PJ.
Speaker 2: Washington hit some free throws against auburny Kansas State, or if they don't blow a six point lead against Kansas State two years ago.
Speaker 1: I mean, we can keep going.
Speaker 3: I've told you guys, if they beat Oakland, he's gonna shoot threes.
Speaker 1: There's chapter and verse about missed free throws at cal Perry, a chance at three more. No championship, no question, not just maybe they can advance, I mean championships. But yeah, that's life. We'll take a break, come back and chat a little more. UK Sports on a state wide Big Blue Insider final segment with Billy Relijaron Gershan and I want to say, since we met last, it's been more than a week. Didn't football pick up one more olignement?
Speaker 2: They did pick up the left tackle from New Mexico State. Forget if We talked about that on here or not, but they did. They had an experienced left tackle that they sorely needed. So yeah, Pete, don't ask me the first thing. Just Pete, He's uh, I forget what ethnicity.
Speaker 1: They will start at least four new alignments.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then probably Jalen Farmer will be the only returning starter.
Speaker 1: Is that going to be enough? That's better than they had? No.
Speaker 2: I think there's some depth for the first time in a while, at least on paper. But it's going to be up to Billy's favorite coach on the University of Kentucky campus to develop.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right. Now. Upcoming is the Super Bowl. None of us has a dog in this fight.
Speaker 2: Well, I just hate the Eagles, you know what. I've gotten to the point where I'm so past it, likeon, just good for you, man, I've got nothing anymore.
Speaker 1: I cool if the Eagles, sorry Aaron, If the Eagles won and Darien Kinnard collected his third Super Bowl ring? Was it Corey Price or somebody had? The guy has played in three games in his career.
Speaker 3: That's incredible.
Speaker 1: Three regular season appearances. He's either been practice squad or strictly a backup someone. I guess he hasn't even played on placement teams.
Speaker 2: The Giants played against the Eagles third teamers, uh, the last regular season game. I don't even remember him playing. That would have been like, oh he's playing. Yeah, I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: But he got two. He got two of the Chiefs, and then he signs free agent with the Eagles. And good for him, because I think one year with the Chiefs of his practice squad.
Speaker 2: Someone someone's getting a three peetz Saturday Sunday makes me think of Jared Lorenzen went in with the Giants. Yeah, you know, trying to tell us what color gatorades on the sideline, you know, which would.
Speaker 3: Probably be a pretty big no note nowadays.
Speaker 1: Did you ever read the comments or see the SoundBite where Eli Manning credited Lorenzo.
Speaker 3: I remember something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, after he completed that pass, after with with defenders draped on him, the iconic pass, Yes, iconic pass, because he said in practice it was Jared Lorenzo who had beat the crap out of him with those dummies in those drills. YEP.
Speaker 2: I thought that was such a great Hall of Famer. Tomorrow I'll be more pissed off about if you.
Speaker 1: Guys never got an MVP vote, made four Pro Bowls in sixteen years.
Speaker 2: Two time Super Bowl champion quarter But as I've said before, I've always I've always believed in that.
Speaker 1: As I said before, though, to me, it's the twenty something fourth quarter comebacks he engineered.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he won a lot of games, and also you got and yes, you're right, he didn't get any MVP votes. But look at the quarterbacks he had to go up, like, oh yeah, his brother Tom Brady, Brett Farr, Philip Rivers.
Speaker 1: For a mediocre franchise. Yeah, sorry, well we won two Super Bowls with a good defense, Drew Brees. Yes, hard to get m v P. No, I'd vote those, like I said, first vote. I don't know, but I'd vote him eventually again because two Super Bowls plus all those fourth quarter comebacks exactly, you cannot ignore that. Okay, you gotta put arch Manning in.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, yeah, Archie, Archie, and in Archie was running around back there with the Saints.
Speaker 1: That's true. I love go Chiefs. I remember that. I wouldn't mind seeing Eagles win. But yeah, I'm just there for the commercials. For billionaire and that sid good night from lexingon