Speaker 1: Hi. This is Jake Kerr, the writer and producer of The Thieves Guild. Before this episode starts, I wanted to express my thanks to you as a listener.
Speaker 2: This is The.
Speaker 1: Thieves Guilds one hundred and fiftieth episode, and I never expected to reach that milestone. You know, it's only possible due to you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you so very very much. You are what has made this journey so amazing for me. My only humble request as I personally celebrate this milestone, is that if you enjoy the podcast, that you please leave a review or a comment. Those things truly do help. And now let's find out what Rafe has discovered by stumbling upon that outpost in the Distant Hills.
Speaker 3: The Thieves Guild written by Jake Kerr, Season four, episode nine, The Dragon's Watch.
Speaker 4: They weren't men, and yet they weren't children. Rafe struggled to understand the two men or were they children that walked over to him. They walked with the assured gait of warriors facing an easily dispatched foe. Rafe dropped his hand to his side, and, with no idea what else to do, waved to the fire.
Speaker 5: There is enough warmth for all of us.
Speaker 4: The first of the two men, who was nigh four feet tall, walked directly over to Rafe and slapped him on.
Speaker 5: The back, a wise choice.
Speaker 4: He then sat down next to Rafe, while the other man or was it child, looked more wary and sat across from him. Both of them were small and stout of stature, with dark brown hair seemingly wild and dunkempt. The second man was even shorter than the first, yet they were both clearly men. Even in the firelight, it was clear they wore leather armor that protected nought but their torso. Their legs and arms were bare, but for rough tunics that did little to hide their rippling muscles, they appeared enormously strong.
Speaker 6: It has been a long time since we have been visited by a human. The Goutlanders fear us, while those from Ness still suffer under their curse and don't even know of our existence. So which are you, someone who is fearless or one who has regained his memory?
Speaker 4: Rafe didn't even begin to know how to answer. Clearly, he was referring to the outlanders, But who were the cursed memory people with no real idea? As to who these people were or what they were asking. Rafe went with the safe route.
Speaker 5: My name is Raith, I'm from Who are you?
Speaker 4: The two men looked at each other. Some unspoken agreement must have been reached, as the first man turned back to Rafe. I'm Gallic and that is falcon. We are in charge of patrolling the eastern foothills, and you, my friend, are camped in the eastern foothills. Rafe was thinking of a reply when the man named Falcion finally.
Speaker 2: Spoke, what is your business here?
Speaker 4: Not seeing any reason to lie, Rafe hoped his explanation would be non confrontational enough that they let him pass.
Speaker 7: I'm traveling to Gatland and wanted to avoid the Great Road. I knew of this path from the Barrow's Treaty.
Speaker 4: Rafe mentioned the treaty in passing, not thinking it would mean anything to the two men, but they once again looked.
Speaker 2: At each other. What do you know of Barrows?
Speaker 4: There was a tone to the man's voice, not quite threaten, but clearly approaching it. Rafe decided to tread much more carefully in his responses, moving forward nothing.
Speaker 7: I researched documents in ness, it is one of them. I don't know of barrows or anything else. You don't know of the great forgetting, I must have forgotten.
Speaker 4: Rafe's hoped that his joke would lighten the mood failed horribly.
Speaker 2: Tell us of your research.
Speaker 4: Things were going from bad to worse, and Rafe weighed his words.
Speaker 2: What do you know?
Speaker 4: The sudden questions surprised Rafe. The two men were intensely interested in how much Ness knew about what Rafe didn't know. He decided to plead ignorance, which was easy as there was sadly little he did know.
Speaker 7: I'm researching history, as it seems, as you have said, to have been forgotten. I have not been very successful. This is why I'm traveling to Goutland. There are documents there.
Speaker 4: Rafe kicked himself, saying the last sentence he was giving away too much, but Galick's response immediately changed his mind.
Speaker 6: You will find no documents there. The city's library was burned to the ground ages ago. We have heard of no other source of knowledge.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 5: Then I guess I'm just visiting for enjoyment.
Speaker 2: There is no joy in Goutland.
Speaker 4: Again, Raefe didn't know how to reply, but he didn't need to.
Speaker 6: Your time is better spent enjoying a visit to Dragon's Watch.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: You'll find out soon enough. Gallic stood up.
Speaker 6: Pack up your things, I'll watch ends soon and we'll take you there.
Speaker 4: Raife was at least smart enough not to object. The two clearly were not open to negotiation, and despite their size, Raefe was certain they could easily overwhelm him. Okay, as he stood, he once again noticed the disparity of their sizes. His curiosity was just too great. Without even debating on the wisdom of the question, he blurted it out.
Speaker 2: What are you?
Speaker 5: I mean? You called me a human, so that implies you're not.
Speaker 4: The more he talked, the more nervous Rafe became.
Speaker 5: I don't mean to offend you. I've just never seen anyone like you.
Speaker 4: Rafe finally shut up, as Gallic looked at Falcon the Great forgetting. Gallic nodded in reply. Enough of Rafe's questions were answered during the journey to the Southern outpost to make him desperate to know more. Dragon's Watch was the Dwarven name for the outpost, and that's who the two explained who they were dwarves, a race of creatures that lived in the mountains. They didn't explain more than the name and where they lived, so Rafe filed his many questions away for further research. The Watch was a heavily armed garrison, but god in what they wouldn't say For every answer, Rafe had four more questions which didn't go answered. One question, however, made the two visibly nervous.
Speaker 5: So why is it called Dragon's Watch?
Speaker 4: There was no answer, and Rafe glanced to the mounted men, one to his left and one to his right.
Speaker 5: There is a dragon or a history of a dragon?
Speaker 2: Isn't there no answer?
Speaker 7: The mountains of the dragon's teeth It is called dragon road. The river is the dragon's tear. Now we have Dragon's Watch.
Speaker 6: You are a descendant of the Great Forgetting. It is not a memory you are allowed to keep once again with the Great forgetting?
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 7: Had all of nests simply had their memory removed at some point? How could everyone forget a dragon?
Speaker 4: Rafe tried not to let his frustration show. You'll need to ask Cray. Who is Cray? It was another question that went unanswered. There was no entrance to Dragon's Watch that could see. In fact, there was no dragon's watch that Rafe could see, just a sheer mountainside with pock marks and natural ledges of stone. It was as well camouflaged as the thieves Tower, and that made Rafe wonder if they were both enchanted. Is this hidden by magic? Gallic laughed, It's hidden by dwarf and skill. That comment only made Rafe wonder if the dwarfs had created the thieves Tower, although he considered that an impossibility. They rode up a frighteningly steep path that Gallic and Falcon's horses trod easily, but Rafe's horse took a bit more seriously, although he too had little trouble. Behind an outcropping was a wide stone entrance. It was an arch door about ten feet high and five feet wide. The horses entered one at a time. As Rafe got used to the dim light of torches, he heard the murmur of voices. Three shadows approached a human. I cannot believe it by the gods, and other exclamations reached his ears. Another voice, what word falcion?
Speaker 2: A human? Sir? I can see that.
Speaker 4: A dwarf with golden hair, the color of the Wheat of the Inner Fields approached. He wore a dark brown robe. He paused in front of their horses as Gallic and Falcion dismounted, not receiving any guidance. Raife dismounted as well.
Speaker 2: He was camped in the eastern foothills. He is from Ness for.
Speaker 4: The first time, the dwarf, who was clearly some kind of leader, watched as Rafe approached him.
Speaker 2: You are far afield, human.
Speaker 5: I was just enjoying the beauty of the foothills.
Speaker 4: His jovial reply again fell on deaf ears.
Speaker 5: I was taking the southern road to Goutland.
Speaker 2: You know of the southern road. He mentioned the Barrows Treaty.
Speaker 4: At that the Dwarf's casual curiosity became much more serious. You know of Barrows, I know of the treaty. The dwarf in the robe nodded his head. A document, then, do you know of the man Barrows?
Speaker 5: No, just the treaty.
Speaker 2: Ah, the great forgetting has found another gap.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry? What is the great forgetting? Did something destroy the memory of everyone in Ness? How could that happen? Why did it happen? Who are you? What is this place? How have you remained hidden. You aren't that far. Did not the rangers know of your existence?
Speaker 4: The questions poured out of Rafe received by an amused smile by the robed man. Only such great curiosity can defeat the great forgetting, he laughed. Come, my name is Token. I need to take you to someone Cray. The answer led to an angry look from Token to Falcion and Gallic.
Speaker 2: And it appears great curiosity can also be dangerous when unleashed on the wrong people. A podcast Alchemy production