Speaker 1: What's up, everybody. Mike is fixing a TV right now. This is the problem with live streaming. You figure it out. We're watching the stream on another TV to make sure it works. And he hit the volume all the way up so we would just repeat in the background. Christina says she called it and sent a text here and there. But we're here. Oh, I gotta turn your mic on. There we go, we're here. Andy's not cominguntil later. I'm gonna actually remove that video, maybe hide it off in the corner until he comes. There we go, all right, it's weird. This is weird.
Speaker 2: Starting at seven, the hosts of the National Park after Dark will be joining us, and then from eight to eight.
Speaker 1: Thirty, we've got the host some Crime off the Grid. So they were.
Speaker 2: Two law enforcement park rangers for thirty years in the National Park system, so I'm really excited to talk to them about their stories.
Speaker 1: If you put nice comments up, I'm just gonna throw them up on the book. So if you want to be seen, just say really cool, nice things and I'll throw it up there.
Speaker 2: And then from eight thirty to nine, we've got our members only call that everyone can watch, and you could still sign up for Patreon in the next hour and join that call if you'd like.
Speaker 1: Oh, so this isn't like a marathon call in now, yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, we do have a number that people can call in. We'll have to figure out on the fly how to get that to work. And then from nine to ten. Andy should hopefully be here by then, and we're going to go through a bunch of voicemails we have and just react to some comments and just.
Speaker 1: Andy just that they had a new baby. Yeah, so he's on daddy duty. He had to come a little bit later. Yeah, and our pizza is.
Speaker 2: Going to get delivered, like, yeah, we have food coming. It's gonna be a long night. And then we've got Evan to wrap it up. And he could talk for five hours probably yeah.
Speaker 1: We yeah, we'll talk for the five hours. So yeah, awesome, Here we go, Here we go. Add to stream. Hey Danielle, what's up.
Speaker 3: It's good to see you guys.
Speaker 1: Good to see you too. How are you doing?
Speaker 4: Crazy busy? Cassie said, she's backstage. Oh you can see all of us, so she's here.
Speaker 1: Okay, how you doing? Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: I was like blurred out in the back and then could see you guys, and it's like I feel like I'm eavesdropping on a conversation.
Speaker 1: That is awesome, though, no worries.
Speaker 2: We we've been the first half hour we were just getting our sea legs with the stream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're still figuring it out, but it's all right. That's how we do things here. Just not coordinated at all. All right, I think we're there. Mike, you're just really dark. I know, I don't know what's going on. That's that's right.
Speaker 6: You like it's just your shadow with your back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, smoking man from like one of those documentaries where I don't my face scene and I just talk.
Speaker 6: So it looks like that. You just need one of those voiceovers where your voice is no. Yeah, absolutely, it would be perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it's this time of day. We never record this early. It's always dark. As it gets darker, I'll up here.
Speaker 1: All right. There's people who like your show more the says I love NP eight. That's good. I was encourage it. So hey, thanks for doing this. This is awesome. You guys have been killing it recently. You got a new show coming out. You want to just give us all an update of what you've been up to and about your new show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well since the last time we talked, because we talked last summer, right, yes, yeah, yeah, so a lot has happened.
Speaker 3: We've been all over the place. I moved again, which is nothing new.
Speaker 4: But yeah, we started a new show because we felt like, hey, we're busy six out of seven days a week, we should bump that up.
Speaker 6: Right now we have a free day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, Cassie was really the driving force behind our sister podcast.
Speaker 3: It's called Watch Her Cook.
Speaker 4: And for the last few years, we've just been finding these stories of incredible women in our research for National Park After Dark that maybe didn't fit the exact like parameters of the existing show, but we kept coming across them and putting them on the you know, on the back burner, saying we'll come back to you, and that's why we began Watch Her Cook.
Speaker 1: No, that's fantastic. So how's the show going? I mean, you've just was it? Did you start a couple of weeks ago? You were launched it? How many episodes do you have now?
Speaker 6: We just really start fourth episode today. Yeah, we've been I guess technically this is our third week.
Speaker 5: We launched on April ninth, I believe but we launched two episodes on the first day and then we had two more come out since and we come out every Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Well, and yeah, it helps that you guys have the really successful National p After Dark to kind of give it that initial boost, because I remember when we started out and we would have months where we'd get fifty downloads, like ten of them are.
Speaker 3: Me Yeah just a loop?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, well that's exciting.
Speaker 2: How does the preparation because I go through this with our show, But how is it different doing a show on disappearances versus your new show?
Speaker 5: I will say that this one, it's so different because and I kind of felt like we had to start a new podcast because none of these stories fit the narrative of National Parks. But they were all very warranted of store of telling the stories themselves, but very different because they're not all outdoor based. Yeah, and it's all surrounding women, which obviously National Park after Dark is not. We tell stories of everything and anything that is outdoor related. And also, I will say in National Park after Dark, we really lean into the darker things, and with Watch Her Cook, we do lean into the darker things, and that's definitely going to be more apparent as episodes come out, but we're also leaning into more of the more of the inspiring stories and the people who kind of beat the odds and maybe not so much devastating like disaster stories, where there's actually some good outcomes that happen in Watch Her Cook, which isn't as popular of a theme in National Park after Dark.
Speaker 1: I'm sure good for your mental health though, So it's just not always doom and gloom all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very characteristic of like, it's very telling of our personalities too. I'm the black Cat to Cassie's Golden Retrievers, So Watch Your Cook is very Cassie coded with like, look at all this amazing stuff, and I'm like, yeah, but death, no one died.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 4: It's nice to have that balance because it, you know, it does as you very well know, these stories are heavy that you're researching and just like dedicating weeks of your life to researching and when it's doom and gloom a lot, it takes an actual toll on your life and.
Speaker 3: Your mental health.
Speaker 4: So this is a nice additive to lighten the load a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fantastic. We have a front of ours that worked on crime Junkies, and she said it literally is like a mental health issue when you're looking at crime scene photos all the time and you have like these workers who are researching, they would take like mental health breaks because you're just looking at death and crime scenes constantly, and like that's not good for people to see all the time.
Speaker 5: That is part of like when we went into Watch Her Cook, too, I think a big part of it is just as women, when you're looking at all these true crime stories, unfortunately a majority of them are involving women who are victims. And with Watch Her Cook, it was this moment where were we like true crime just like the rest of us, we all consume it because there is an interest there, but at the same time, we were kind of tired of this narrative that women are victims, and we wanted to change that narrative and be like, wait a minute, there are all of these stories of women that are in such a different role that are powerful. Maybe they're not the victims at all, maybe they're the perpetrators.
Speaker 6: You know, Like it's just.
Speaker 5: We wanted to paint women in their full like multifaceted selves versus just these victim narratives. That are often portrayed and even in our own show. So we found Watch Her Cook as a way to really bring these stories forward.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic. That's awesome. So I'm glad you got it. Go on. I'm glad we can direct everyone who doesn't already know, which I'm sure they do. But if you don't, go subscribe to Watch Your Cook right now.
Speaker 2: I've actually had a few comments on various episodes of people after our last talk last summer where they actually discover your show for the first time from us, which I was kind of shocked.
Speaker 1: So you got like three or four people.
Speaker 3: You're welcome, so thank you so much.
Speaker 2: So before our call, I was kind of looking through your instagram, your show's instagram, just to see what you were up to, and I was scrolling down and I saw a picture of you guys in Antarctica, So yeah, could I could you fill us in on what you were doing down there, like how that came about and what your experience was like, because I would love to go there at some point, but it's seems like a tough place to get to.
Speaker 4: Well, we can, I can take I'll take the topic of how it came about and speak to the experience part because GEUS like Antarctica's number one fan. As far as how it came about, I think we talked a little bit the last time about our group trips that we do with National Park After Dark listeners, and that was one of them. So we took a group of fourteen listeners down to the bottom of the world through our group trip. We launched it two years ago, so it went on sale two years ago and finally came to fruition. Obviously, it was a really involved and big trip, not just because it's Antarctica, but just logistically getting there and organizing it and all of that. But yeah, so we flew we all flew down to Ushuaia, which is the southernmost point of South America, and then we took a ship from across Drake's Passage to the Antarctic Peninsula, where we spent most of our time while we were down there, and then came off.
Speaker 1: So did it take two years to fill the trip?
Speaker 3: No, it took one minute.
Speaker 1: Oh really, that's awesome. That was all just logistics and planning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just giving time for people to prep and of course it's a huge trip, not just like taking the time off and upping, but also like it's a big monetary expense like for everybody involved, So just giving people time to make payments and do that.
Speaker 3: We would never just be like, Okay, well you need to pay us.
Speaker 4: Right now or you can't come take some time, like we all need time to figure this out.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's why there was such a big lead time.
Speaker 1: So did you see that? Did you see the ice walls that? Because you know it's flat earth and did you Guys?
Speaker 4: A few people said that to me when I came back and like, I don't get it.
Speaker 1: You've never heard of this. It's apparently Inca was just a big ice wall keeping everything from falling off into space or whatever.
Speaker 3: Now I know, yeah, beforehand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and there's there's allegedly like an alien.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys could have done a whole episode on that and got a whole new genre of listener, the conspiracy. Yes, So what was Each of you can answer this? What was your favorite thing about Antarctica?
Speaker 6: Go for it, Cassie me Y, Yeah, or do I start everything about it?
Speaker 5: I think that one of my favorite parts about Antarctica was I knew when we booked the trip that when I got there that it was going to be breathtaking and it was going to be beautiful, and it was going to be like it was going to be unlike anywhere else that I had ever been. But I didn't really realize the magnitude of that until I was looking at it. And it is a trip that I will always It's the best place I've ever been in my life. But I think one of the things that makes it so special is that it's truly untouched, minus a couple like science stations that are around. It's truly untouched, and you are immersed in the wildlife that's there. You know, we were Danielle and I did part of the trip. We went paddle boarding, and I was paddle boarding.
Speaker 6: And well, we were all were We were.
Speaker 5: In a group and there were just penguins just swimming around us. And then at another point there's a furst seal that's just spinning and having a nice time swimming alongside us, and then you just look and there's just there's.
Speaker 6: A whale over in the other corner.
Speaker 5: It's just it was so beautiful and it was really quiet, but there was nothing, There were no big structures, there was no just it wasn't spoiled by people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could be mindful for once. Yeah, that's fantastic. That sounds amazing. You sold me. I want to go paddle boarding in Antarctica. You should, Danielle. Danielle was your favorite?
Speaker 4: Oh god, I have a I definitely have a couple favorite moments, but overall, I think my favorite part of the entire trip, aside from what Cassie is being somewhere and traveling somewhere where we were.
Speaker 3: So how do I say this?
Speaker 4: Everything about that trip was how we need to be good stewards of this area and this landscape or you're not going.
Speaker 3: It's like there is no this is a suggestion.
Speaker 4: Like hey, you should probably pick up your trash, and you know, don't approach a wildlife but like people still do, Like they are so dead serious about that stuff, and it is so refreshing to see. And there are so many laws and regulations and parameters put in place for visitors down there that are just so nice to see taken so seriously by everybody, visitors and expedition leaders and everybody. Everything from going through biosecurity, like anything in your outer layer from your hats, your scarves, your gloves to everything you're wearing needs to be vacuumed, depart for any lint or anything that could blow off and potentially impact the environment.
Speaker 3: Like before you step off the shift the ship, you need to do that.
Speaker 4: You need to sanitize your feet before you leave and when you come back, like it is just so it's just so thorough and on our way down they took a lot of time because it took two and a half days to get down there by boat.
Speaker 3: They took that opportunity.
Speaker 4: To really educate the entire ship about the importance of that stuff and why that those parameters are put in place, And it was just really nice because you don't see that anywhere else. It's always about people's experience and there it's like we are privileged to be there and we are just visitors and we need to be super respectful of such a fragile ecosystem.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that was really cool to see place that's fantastic.
Speaker 1: And that just means when you get there, how you describe your experience untouched. That's time they maintain that don't show up and there's just like a TwixT wrapper just floating around in the middle of Antarctica.
Speaker 2: And it's a really unique place to go because there's really not anywhere else I can think of that you can really claim is still pristine and untouched anymore, which is sad to say. Even Joe and I talked about this all the time. How mad I get when I'm I've been out hiking and I see garbage, yes, in the parks, and like I'll pick it up and throw it at my bag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we always come back with more stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always come back with more garbage than I even brought with. And yeah, it's just that kind of takes away some of the being out there is you see in all this garbage everywhere, and so that's got to be really amazing to be somewhere where it literally is pristine and clean and people actually are trying to protect it.
Speaker 1: So that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And we when we went down like at the in Ushweia, obviously it's a big port town, Like there's a bunch there's a bunch of ships that were all gearing up to head down there at some point. But after we left that harbor, we didn't see anybody else.
Speaker 3: I we never saw anybody else.
Speaker 4: So the people that were on the ship there was what one hundred and ninety nine passengers aside from them, not another human, not another ship, a boat building.
Speaker 3: That had people in it. Like, there's a.
Speaker 4: Couple of stations that we saw that were literally overtaken by penguins, like a million of penguins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's awesome, crushing it was so cool.
Speaker 1: How big are the penguins? Were they like Emperor penguins, the ones to get like four feet tall.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we didn't see those.
Speaker 4: We saw like Gentoo's and Adeli's Like, I don't know, I like this big.
Speaker 1: That's still cool like that those are pretty that's pretty big now, bigger than ones I see at the zoo, that's for sure. Yeah. Yeah, How was the weather while you were there? Was it cold? Yeah, well, obviously cold, but there's degrees of cold.
Speaker 6: To be honest, it wasn't that bad. There were days.
Speaker 5: I think one of the days were there was like thirty four degrees, so it really it was it's definitely winter weather down there, but it really wasn't like we wore jackets and sometimes we had something over our mouth or something, but for the most part, I think it was between like fifteen and.
Speaker 6: Thirty four degrees. The whole time we were there.
Speaker 4: It was like winter weather for us, but it was their summer.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, it was warmer in Antarctica than it was in Vermont.
Speaker 1: That's that's actually really funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it happens here too, where it'll be warmer in Anchorage, Alaska.
Speaker 1: Did you guys have a trip coming up in the beginning of May. We do, Yeah, you have. One of your fans says, we'll see on May third.
Speaker 4: So actually, well Friday going a little early, but we're going to Joshua Tree and we're doing an event there with some listeners.
Speaker 1: Oh that's awesome. That's cool. So what's that event about.
Speaker 6: We're doing a live show and so we're going to Excellent Podcast and.
Speaker 5: Then we're doing a camp weekend that has a believe of sixty or sixty six people. We're all going to camp for the weekend and we have hikes and some little fun things to do, some campfire stuff for the weekend in Joshua Tree.
Speaker 1: That's really awesome. That's so cool. So you guys are just doing this full time now, right. I think when we first started talking you were kind of in between, but you're just all in now on this and it's going real Well, yeah, that's fantastic.
Speaker 3: We don't have time for, not enough hours in the day.
Speaker 1: Do you still love it for sure? Then there you go. That's all that matters, that's what you need to do. That's awesome. You do have a question from a fan from Holly Eckland. I'm new to hiking getting my feet wet? Which was each of your scariest hiking experiences? And you've encountered animals, elements, et cetera. So Daniel, you.
Speaker 6: Do you want to know our scariest moments.
Speaker 3: Our scariest moments hiking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or experiences, whether it's encountered animals, yeah, anything outdoor? What was your scariest experiences?
Speaker 4: The one that comes to mind right off the bat. It wasn't exactly like I wasn't scared to death, but it definitely shook me up a little bit. I was living in Washington State at the time with my partner Ian, and we there's a hike out there that everybody in Washington is very familiar with.
Speaker 3: It's called Mailbox Peak.
Speaker 4: And it's brutal and you usually have to get up pretty early to get going on it. And because we lived about three hours away, we decided to drive to the around the trailhead and camp the night before so we could get up before sunrise and hit it, and so we had to have a little pole behind camper. It's like a little off road camper and it's about the size of a queen size bed. You can lay down in it and that's about it. So it's pretty tiny, but it's pretty rugged and solid. And we were in the back of it with my two dogs sleep and all of a sudden, I like, I'm a pretty light sleeper, and all of a sudden, I was like I went like that and I woke up and I was like, what the heck was that?
Speaker 3: But the dogs weren't reacting. Ian was asleep, so I didn't really think anything of it. And then all of a.
Speaker 4: Sudden, it was like I was like, okay, this hole shaking.
Speaker 3: So I woke Ian up.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure there's a bear. There's a bear trying to get because there the back has a little galley area where you know, for storage and stuff, and I was like, where did you put the trash because we had cooked and he was like he just looked at me in silence. I'm like, oh shit, So yeah, the shaking continued, and this is a three thousand pound camper.
Speaker 1: So something if something's moving and it's either a vehicle or something big.
Speaker 4: Right, and we're in the middle of the one, I'm like, you know, like off a logging road.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, okay, I know what this is.
Speaker 4: So I just banged on the side of the door and said the classic hey bear, you know whatever.
Speaker 3: And then I was like, all.
Speaker 4: Right, get out there and go check it. So yeah, we both go outside and and with my headlamp, I could see there was very clear claw marks and bear prints on the back of the camper, and so yeah, it wasn't like super scary, but it was definitely startling and definitely woke us up a little bit as too, Like he's like, well, there's no trash cans around here.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I have a bear, Like I have like a bear.
Speaker 6: You know, sealed.
Speaker 3: But anyway, whatever that.
Speaker 1: Was, that that would terrify me.
Speaker 4: It was a black bear because of where we were, so that really eased my anxiety. If we were in Montana or Idaho or why, like, I would have been a little bit more right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, black bears are like scared little dogs. If you have.
Speaker 2: It's still not fun to be woken up in the middle of the night one trying to like claw through your camper though, Yeah, awesome, all right, Cassie.
Speaker 1: What's your extreme scary experience?
Speaker 6: Extreme scary? This one?
Speaker 5: Also, I wouldn't call it extreme scary, but I do think if you get into the outdoors like pretty, if you're pretty new, this is I guess a good one to not do what I did. So this was years ago now, but I was in the White Mountains and my partner and I we decided that we were going to go hiking, and we were going to go to what's called the Bond Cliffs, and it's a really long hike.
Speaker 6: It's like twenty one miles if you do it in one day.
Speaker 5: And we decided that we were going to hike out and camp overnight, and then we were going to do the hike partially, camp overnight, and then hike back the next day, so just to split it up a little bit. But we knew there was some dicey weather that was coming in. So we get out there and we start hiking and the first I want to say, the first three miles of this trail is flat. It's actually comical because it leads to these natural waterfalls. So when you're hiking back, there's a bunch of people in flip carrying like beer cans to go swimming.
Speaker 6: And we've been hiking a mile, but on the.
Speaker 5: Way out there, we hardly get in and it starts pouring on us, and it's the wind comes.
Speaker 6: In as howling. There's actually a.
Speaker 5: Tropical storm that we knew was coming in. And we went out anyway, and we got a mile and a half in and we said we should take shelter, and so we set up a tent underneath like there was a tree that was kind of falling onto another tree, so we were underneath and we set up camp and we slept that night, and I was awake all night because this storm was so bad. There were like sixty mile per hour winds. There were trees falling down all around us. It's pouring rain. We don't have a waterproof tent really, so it's also getting wet inside.
Speaker 6: And I'm just sitting there. He's fast asleep over there, laying.
Speaker 5: There listening to all of these trees just falling.
Speaker 6: Down around us, and I'm like, I'm going to die. I'm gonna die.
Speaker 5: Tonight, like I'm going to get crushed by a tree. There's no why are we out here. We're a mile and a half.
Speaker 6: Into the woods. We could have stayed in a hotel.
Speaker 5: But we survived and the next morning my shoes were wet, but we hiked out. Oh, like we did the whole hike. It was really far. But as we were walking along the trail, we saw all of the trees that were down and there were just branches like littering the whole trail.
Speaker 6: There's full trees down, and I was just like we were so close.
Speaker 5: Even around where our tent was, there were trees down that were like pretty close to us. But we had a covered spot because we were under the tree a little bit.
Speaker 6: But don't recommend camping in a tropical storm. If you can, if you can't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is why that's actually one of my most terrifying things to think of out as a tree falling on you. They call him wittle makers, because yeah, that's just what a terrible way to go.
Speaker 2: I always look whenever I'm backcountry hiking and camping. The first thing I do but like to find a campsite is I look up to make sure there's no tree branches over me.
Speaker 6: So yeah, we're like a kind of dead tree over you. It's like here, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: You guys are incredibly This.
Speaker 5: Isn't my story, but I remember when I was working in outdoor education. There was a guy that I worked with, and he was with a group of kids because we worked with twelve year olds, and it was a little windy that day, nothing big, but he had stopped to talk about I don't know, it was like some type of plant life he had stopped to talk about.
Speaker 6: And while he was talking to the.
Speaker 5: Group, right behind him, a huge tree fell and hit the ground like a foot away from him.
Speaker 6: Imagine if.
Speaker 5: He had stepped a foot forward, he would have been crushed in the middle of his present sit.
Speaker 1: In front of kids. Yeah, like generations of trauma and damage, just like I went on a hike once and the guy got crushed by a tree in front of me. I went on a.
Speaker 6: School trip and it was supposed to be great, and now I'm in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I would be in therapy as an adult. I would never go out in the woods. If you just saw a tree randomly fall and crush somebody, I would be terrified to go outside. That's wild. So you do the trail That actually is a good segue because you do the trail tales where it's your use of the listeners submit stories. What's your favorite trail tales that have been told from people? And I also wanted to ask, do you how do you verify that they're true? We don't.
Speaker 5: Okay, you just trust you think it's interesting and I'll show up on the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We were laughing because I think we have the same answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the same answer.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So we get so many good stories, whether they're true or not, we're going to say they're true from everything. But started off pretty like solidly outdoor National Park based and then now obviously it's evolved, but there's one story. It's got to be what two years ago now two three years ago. It was an early on story and the way it was written was so immediately comedically, perfectly timed, and just like it read so well, because sometimes the meat of the story is great, but sometimes like the wording around it, it's like you have to dig to get there. But this was just like Chef's Kiss, so good. But essentially this woman was kind of newish to hiking. But essentially she went out with you know, all the great all this great gear and whatever, and it started to drizzle and rain, and she looks down and like her crotch was foaming, and she's like, what the.
Speaker 1: Hell, hold on, what did you just say?
Speaker 3: Her crotch was foaming.
Speaker 1: Her crotch was like foam? Was it? Angry?
Speaker 3: So now she was like.
Speaker 4: Going through all the stages of grief, like what it's going on down here?
Speaker 3: Like confusion, disappointment, like anger.
Speaker 4: You're like denial, you know, just bargaining with it.
Speaker 3: What's happening.
Speaker 4: And she's going through all these things, and she's like wiping it away, trying it because she's clearly like embarrassed, and so she's trying to wipe it away, but it keeps getting it keeps coming back, and it starts writing harder, so it gets worse and worse.
Speaker 3: She's like, it's like a washing machine. Now.
Speaker 4: It was so funny, but anyways, long story short, it was like the detergent that she had used in her pants and the friction of like that one.
Speaker 3: Spot which she what was it called the foaming pants or something.
Speaker 1: She's hard to do.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's so good.
Speaker 6: The best part about that.
Speaker 5: The best part about that story too, is that she came in and part of her story she was like, can someone else tell me?
Speaker 6: Has this happened to you?
Speaker 5: And we got a flot of messages of other women with foaming pants?
Speaker 1: Is this like a thing?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've never heard that, Like fabric will hold the like detergent, or if you haven't washed them yet and then they get wet and they haven't cleaned some of the fibers or something out of it, like when the.
Speaker 6: Friction causes like a weird We don't.
Speaker 5: Know the exact science behind it, but we do know it's a common So I come.
Speaker 1: From the world of pharmaceutical clinical trials. I feel like you have enough data sets where you could figure out if it's a specific type of washing machine, specific type of fabric, or specific type of detergent. It could be a.
Speaker 6: Very interesting study.
Speaker 1: What hiking pants women should not wear in the rain? And why?
Speaker 3: What reading? I think it's my eyes, my monitors kind of far.
Speaker 4: From me, But I think Gabrielle said she hadn't washed her pants before washing them, it was because of that.
Speaker 6: I think that's what it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, material that I don't know whatever, it was so funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that was a that was the most memorable one for sure.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. I've never heard of that.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming that's never happened in any of your hiking trips with your listeners, so.
Speaker 6: Not that we've noticed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's funny. Yeah, I've never seen that before. That's hilarious. Crotch foaming yep. I've never had that issue on a hiking trail, have you.
Speaker 2: No, I would freak out that. I mean, that's not something you expect to happen.
Speaker 6: So having a medical emergence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or seriously, one of my buddies playing a prank on me?
Speaker 1: Did they put something in my I should do I should do that to you. Actually, that's crazy. Get some dawn Dish soap on there be while you're not paying attention, so for a yeah. Yeah. So with all of the new success and continued growth, what's the biggest thing you guys are looking forward to this year and going forward with your show, your new show, your live shows, anything you can reveal that's coming up.
Speaker 4: I was I'm like, I don't think we can say.
Speaker 1: You can't say that, all right? Is there any type of teaser, like when people should be paying attention and waiting.
Speaker 6: No, it's very early stages.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 5: So I guess in terms of things that we can.
Speaker 6: Speak about that we are excited for.
Speaker 5: Is we have a few trips coming up.
Speaker 6: This year which are exciting. We're doing a Colorado trip.
Speaker 5: And we're doing like Alma, We're not hitting Mesa Verde, but we're doing pretty much every other national park, which is really exciting. And then we're also doing a Hawaii's Volcanoes National Park trip with listeners as well, which is really something that we're looking forward to.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. Besides, so in the States, what's your favorite national park that you've been to or like the most excited trip you're looking forward to.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Cassie, Oh yeah god.
Speaker 5: Okay, so this isn't a this isn't a National park after dark trip.
Speaker 6: It's a personal trip.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So we Cassie, especially like whenever everybody asked us our favorite parks, we have our standard answers, but Cassie always has a disclaimer of like for now, because I'm pretty sure my favorite park that I will eventually go to will be Glacier and this summer, we have the opportunity to go to the Granite Park Chalat and stay for a couple of nights. So we're going to be doing that this summer and that's something that we're both stoked for.
Speaker 1: You haven't either of you have not been to Glacier yet. No. Oh, that is my favorite park of all the national parts, and the Chalet. The Chalet is beautiful. Hiking to the Chalet is amazing. Just even driving along, going into the sun Road is absolutely beautiful. If you do have the time. They do the tours, like the open ended buses you can go through there and they talk about the history of the park. That's amazing. We did. That was the one story that me and Mike had. Those probably the scariest hike we were on. Yeah, we did a backcountry for three or four days something like that. Yeah, we hiked in the fifty Mountain campsite where you normally have to go hiking into Canada then back out of Canada just to get to this campground that's really far back in the middle of nowhere. We forgot our passport. We forgot our passport, so we had to take the long way going up the wrong way. Essentially to get there, and we ended up camping and nobody was there, which is uncommon because all of the permits get taken up all the time, Like we applied for the permits a year and a half in advance, and nobody was there. And then two rangers show up on horseback and like, what the hell are you boys doing here? Twelve gage shotguns? Yeah, they had guns, and they came to like we're like, here's our permits, Like we're not We're supposed to be here. And they had shut down every campsite in the five mile radius because there was a grizzly attacking people and they were there to put it down. So they had us camp together with them overnight because it was too late for us to hike out. And the one guy, one of our hiking mates, like we had bear spray. I usually in grizzly country, I keep a firearm as like the absolute last resort. And one of our guys hikings, was complaining about that we had a gun. For some reason. I was like, I'm not gonna be shooting anything. It's like if I'm being attacked and gonna die, like I'm gonna do it. That's what the bear spray's for. But then the ranger literally goes to us. He goes, do any of you boys have a gun on you? I'm like, I do, like you might need it. I have a good night. Yeah, I was like, oh man, So I didn't sleep a wink that night. He kept making fun of our buddy who was in a hammock. He kept calling him a bear burrito. So yeah, oh wow. Glacier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gonna love Glacier on one of my favorite parts too.
Speaker 1: I think we've done it twice. Yeah, we've done twice, so backcountry is the best one, and then just even out on the other trip. Yeah, even the day hikes are just great. It's beautiful, the glacial lakes. You can just see lots of waterfalls going down to him and just everything looks very pristine. So yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really cool because like we've always wanted to go and stuff. But I was talking to someone who is from there and he was like, oh, yeah, when are you going, And I told him it's during the summer months. He's like, oh, yeah, that's not gonna help your case of wanting to move there, because I like, I was like, my next move is probably gonna be to Montana, and he's like, yeah, for sure, you're definitely gonna Like after that visit, you ago you're moving there.
Speaker 1: Well, Bozeman's such a cool town to hang out, and then you're like, write access to it. There's a couple other cities that are great there. And I went there with my family and we hit a cow. You gotta be careful when you're driving. We totalled our car in the middle of the night and ended up staying overnight in like a fire station, and it was a whole thing. We were going up to vamp and just completely total their car in the way up there. But it's so common people die all the time hitting cows in the road.
Speaker 3: Well that's good to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like pitch black so at night, Oh yeah, you just see it until you're ten feet away from it.
Speaker 1: The only reason we didn't have major injuries is because the speed limits like a hundred out there. I was still only doing about forty miles an hour. Because every time I drove out there with Mike there's just deer and there's animals everywhere. You just can't you have to assume you're gonna hit an animal when you're driving out there. It's that bad. Yeah, but it's cool.
Speaker 2: If I had to pick western state to live in, Montana is on the short list.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, So you're going to be moving again soon.
Speaker 3: I don't know. We'll see. I mean Colorado, I've been.
Speaker 4: I've lived in Colorado two separate times, for several years each. I lived in Washington State. I'm from New Hampshire. I live in Maine right now, and I think that Montana.
Speaker 7: Is the natural next step. But we'll see naturally. Yeah, but then we also have it's going to be a shorter trip.
Speaker 4: But based on actually a connection we made with somebody that we interviewed for National Park after Dark about a year ago. Her name's Mave and she works with the Wolf project up in Voyagers and she invited us up for a weekend where a project that she's doing with the Wolf program. So we are excited to be able to do that this year as well.
Speaker 3: That's going to be So what was the.
Speaker 1: Wolf program introducing them back into the area or how does that work?
Speaker 4: No, it's just she was at the time that we talked to her, she worked as I'm pretty sure she was just a technician and like wolf depredation specialist and went around the park and did a lot of studies on the wolf dends and different farming operations around the perimeter of the park and talk to them about non lethal coexistence measures and things like that. And she's been promoted to a different position where she gets to develop some sorts of programming to help support the program as a whole. And they're starting to talk about doing some weekends where they invite guests and a lot of them are supporters of the program, like contributors already, to get a hands on look into what they do and what the work is and just get an inside look, boots on the ground type of look into their operations and the studies they conduct on the populations there that are already existing there.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it'll be really cool.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, that's really cool. So you guys have just been getting really neat opportunities outside of the podcast just as a result of success. What's been your favorite thing that you didn't expect that the podcast kind of laid in your lap or brought to you from your work there.
Speaker 6: I think that.
Speaker 5: My favorite part, and it might sound a little cheesy, but I think my favorite part is actually when we are able to do these trips and we're able to bring a lot of like minded people together. When we get on these trips, we watch these friendships unfold. That has nothing to do with that, like we facilitated the trip, but the friendships that are being made are just because there's people from different sides of the country that are meeting in these one spots and it turns out that they all have.
Speaker 6: Something in common.
Speaker 5: And watching these friendships form and then watching them take it. I mean, there have been so many peopeople from our trips that have become friends on our trips, and then we see them on social media hanging out like in another part of the world, in another part of the country, whatever, just going out on their own and they've become such good friends. And I think that my favorite part about National Park after Dark is the community that has come from it and we have. I think one of the things about podcasting is like when you go into it, and you guys know too, is it can be nerve wracking. You're putting yourself out there, you're putting your voice out there, you're putting your face out there, and the internet can be scary it can be scary and it can be means sometimes, but with our community, everyone has been so kind and everyone's been so lovely and overwhelmingly, of course there's a couple outliers.
Speaker 1: And that we have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but overwhelmingly, I think that my favorite part has been the community that's been brought together because of National Park after dark.
Speaker 1: That's cool. You're like inadvertently doing matchmaking for friends, and that's yeah, that's really cool because if they become lifelong friends, like you're the impetus for that, that's actually really beautiful. That's not cheesy at all. I love that, Danielle. What's your favorite besides like the morbid death things you get to hear about that just feed your dark soul?
Speaker 3: Yeah, truly, I think that.
Speaker 4: I have an answer that's like also kind of cheesy, But my follow up answer.
Speaker 3: Is we get to learn about so.
Speaker 4: Many amazing things, and we're just continuously evolving and growing our minds and getting glimpses into different cultures and people and places and things that we would have never come across otherwise. You know, like you have your education in your early years, and for most people that's it like, that's where that ends. And we have this amazing opportunity to make a livelihood stuff of our true interests and things that we want to expand our perspectives on and learn about.
Speaker 3: And some of it's fun.
Speaker 4: I want to learn about the cryptid that lives in the swamps of North Carolina whatever, and that's like fun, But by and large, it's like, what can we learn about this historic event and what can we take from that and how can we integrate it into our lives and move forward with that? Like it's things like that that are just week after week. Is not lost on us that we get to just immerse ourselves and then share it, share that love and passion with other people who may have never may never have come across their desk.
Speaker 3: So that's just.
Speaker 4: Something that we're really happy to be able to do and we're very fortunate that we get to choose, like we're the captains of our own ship.
Speaker 3: And how many people can say that.
Speaker 1: That's really fantastic like that? And then we just had Tara from Crime Off the Grid. She wanted to say before you guys leave that she was the ranger that was responsible for losing Jade the dog in Yellowstone, So you did a story about that, and she felt so bad after that happened.
Speaker 3: So now Jade, so, yes, that's okay.
Speaker 6: I also feel like that was an impossible situation.
Speaker 1: Jay.
Speaker 5: Are you guys familiar with Jade's story?
Speaker 1: No, I've never heard. No, you should tell us because Tara's coming on next in a little bit and then I'll hear her side of the story too.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 4: So I did this story like a couple of years ago, so the details might be a little fuzzy, but essentially, there was a couple who were newly dating, like they were pretty early on, and they had a couple of dogs with them in crates and they were in the back of their car in Yellowstone. They were driving around and they got into an accident and because of that accident, one of the dogs, Jade, got loose and was terrified and ran off into Yellowstone and the owner, the woman was like clearly in like shamble. She was so upset. Her boyfriend at the time, like was injured. There was a lot of other things going on. It was a pretty bad accident, and yeah, Jade got lost for a few months in Yellowstone and they had to There was like ex sightings about from people here and there about maybe I think she was a Australian shepherd or a border.
Speaker 5: I thought she was a collie and she's like a collie. I remember she was black and white and she had like long hair.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But anyway, so yeah, there was this whole saga about finding her, and they did and she survived, This dog from Denver survived in Yellowstone for like against the odds.
Speaker 3: And it was a very sweet, heartwarming story.
Speaker 4: Although it was very stressful to read because I read the book Finding Jade. Yeah, and as somebody who lives for her dogs, like the emotional strife of that and knowing everything that could go wrong for that animal there what it.
Speaker 1: Faced out that. Yeah, Yeah, now I might be dating myself. Do you guys, Are you guys aware of the movie Homeward Bound?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Yeah, I love that movie.
Speaker 5: My first trauma when I was little.
Speaker 1: I think that's the first movie I cried about when I was a kid. I haven't seen that. That's all I think about is Homeward Bound. Whenever it's like an animal loss trying to find its way home, and it's just so sad. You just imagine it has a voice.
Speaker 3: It's just's voice too.
Speaker 4: That's like, you know, oh my god, a chance. It's just like the comedic relief and Sassy is like me. But anyway, Yeah, it's a good one.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to watch that one, though, I still need to watch The Guy who Went to the Bus in Alaska.
Speaker 1: The Wild.
Speaker 4: That is our most requested episode, I would say, and we keep ignoring it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we finally, Yeah, we caved and did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we finally covered it a few months ago. And I just because a lot of people, Yeah, a lot of people want to know about it, like they've written books, there's movies. It's just like, I think people just like the story.
Speaker 4: Story, like it's a very yeah, gripping story for sure.
Speaker 6: You have people before.
Speaker 1: That's my wife and my son they're delivering right back. That's my Cassie. Yeah, that's you know why there's two camps on that story. There's the mean people who make fun of him, like, oh, he was wilfully unprepared, and then there's the people like I prefer myself. It's like very poetic the way he lived his life. Obviously, it's tragic and there's a lot of mistakes made, but he just went for it, and I really admire I admire people who do hard things because they're like soul led them that way, And that's why I've always loved the story. It's like, yeah, he made a bunch of mistakes. We all make mistakes all the time. That's how we learn. Unfortunately he made a really big one, but.
Speaker 3: That everyone learned about exactly.
Speaker 4: Everyone learns about your mistakes right there on this global scale and stage.
Speaker 3: Like his was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. I always loved that story. It's really touching. I like, I like the way they played the movie and played the whole thing out. I haven't read the book. Have you read the book at all? Into the World? Yeah no, no, so I've only seen the movie.
Speaker 2: I didn't read the book, So I feel like I know the case now after doing the research on it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, so probably don't need to read the book.
Speaker 6: But yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, in closing, anything else you guys want to say about your show, anything coming up that you can talk about direct all the listeners in a direction of your show, your new show. We'll post links to it. Yeah, we'll post.
Speaker 4: When we have coming I don't even know we have our live show that's coming up.
Speaker 5: Next week, which it seems like there's a few people who are here that will be comings who are excited to see you there. And then I guess we just have all of the other troops.
Speaker 4: So many things people say like I can't tell you, but it's happening, So I hate to be that person, but we like legitimately can't.
Speaker 1: All right, let us know when we can't say it will help promote whatever it is, not that you need it. We'll send our five people that we sent to your show to learn about that. And the last, the last official question from John Woods. Do you guys play Dungeons and Dragons or similar t t r p s's Secretly, what are t t r p s? I have no clue. Oh t t t r p G, which doesn't clarify it for me. The answer for me is no, yeah, no, I.
Speaker 3: Okay, I know what the answer is.
Speaker 5: No for me, I don't Dungeons and Dragons. I do play I have we have this game at home where we play, like the old Mario game with like Mario and Luigi and Yoshi, like the old one from the nineties they played.
Speaker 1: On Super Nintendo. Yeah, like Mario Party. No before that, before Mario Party.
Speaker 6: Like the original the og Mario where you're like.
Speaker 5: Where you're hitting the little question mark boxes and you get a mushroom or the oh.
Speaker 1: Like regular Nintendo Original Mario. Oh yeah, okay, yeah, that's not like Dungeons and Dragons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're going in a completely different direction.
Speaker 4: I thought you were gonna say, I don't play Dungeons and Dragons, but I read about dragons.
Speaker 5: I do read about dragons sometimes, and I don't think this is Dungeon and Dragons either.
Speaker 6: But I have been LARPing.
Speaker 1: You you've been LARPing. I think you're very close to Dungeons and Dragons. Then, yeah, like that's like the LARPI and fill me in on what that.
Speaker 3: Means again, No, I know what it means. And we're having a moment. What do you talk about?
Speaker 4: Would you like to come when you say you have been, like you've been one time in the past, or you are actively going.
Speaker 5: My brother goes LARPing and he invites me sometimes, which I will say though, I thought it was like my brother invited me and I was so excited.
Speaker 6: I was like a time to bond and it's gonna be great.
Speaker 4: And it's live role playing for whoa, okay, yeah, it's have you ever seen what's the movie with?
Speaker 1: And I can't even think of it. They get court ordered to like watch kids and they have to go, oh yeah, yep, I forget that model Yeah, role models.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, sorry.
Speaker 6: Similar to that, very similar to that.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm glad I could help you, guys reveal something new about your friendship that you didn't know previously.
Speaker 3: I really didn't know. Yeah, it was experience.
Speaker 6: It's experience.
Speaker 5: And so I went to my I went and hung out with my brother and his friends who they have. They've made weapons and there are serious weapons, like there are metal poles and stuff. They cover them in foam so they don't hurt you, but they're serious weapons. And I went there thinking I was going to be like this bonding moment with my brother. And I even brought one of my really close friends that I went to school with, and I was like, Okay, at least she'll be on my side.
Speaker 6: We were the only girls.
Speaker 5: Everyone ganged up on me and chased me and did me with swords.
Speaker 1: And it was the easy target.
Speaker 6: Apparently I looked like an easy target. But yeah, it was ten.
Speaker 1: Times recommend awesome I'm glad we could have had this major reveal on the way out. So you guys are gonna have to go talk about this now because Danielle, you seemed very upset that you didn't know this ahead of time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like or someone.
Speaker 4: I talked to Cassie more than I talked to him anybody on this planet, and that somehow slipped.
Speaker 3: Through the cracks.
Speaker 8: So awesome, she's a secret keeper. I have a question for you guys before we go. We have sure less, So what's the farewell thing about? What are you guys doing so this.
Speaker 1: Studio, unfortunately, because it's awesome because we're in the city, they're renovating this whole building, so we're moving somewhere else and we don't even know where.
Speaker 2: We don't have a new studio yet, so it's kind of yeah, we it's going to figure it out. We've had such a great time, and it's really the people outside of the window. Especially in the summer. We have a big music festival downtown in June and July called Summerfest, and people just get really drunk and wider around the city and people are so funny.
Speaker 1: Oh, we get twerkers. People come and twerk in the middle so you can watch them like the old and we have a camera that will switch on that just shows the windows when people are doing ridiculous stuff, but things they say and the stuff they do in the windows is just absolutely gold. It's fantastic.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, we're not the show's not ending, but our location we're in right now is going away, and we at the moment don't know where we're going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so location is.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, early our locations and so yeah, so we want to brand and we've talked about doing a big live stream like this one is probably gonna go to midnight our time, and we've talked about it for two or three years and we've never done it because it is a kind of paying the ass to sit and talk for six hours.
Speaker 2: But we're doing it now because our studio is going away, so for the temporary hopefully.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well that's on your next step wherever it is, and it'll nice place. It'll be meant for you whenever it comes.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you guys have fun on your trips. Thanks for making the time and joining and yeah, good luck on your live show at Joshua Tree. That sounds great. Thank you. Some day we'll have to. We'll have to go to one of.
Speaker 4: Those yes, where we can connect in another way. Just let us know are up to and absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yes. All right, well you guys.
Speaker 3: Later joining all right, see you guys.
Speaker 6: Thanks us.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I think we're going to close it out. We've done four and a half hours. I'm exhausted, no, but thank you all for hanging in here with us through thick and thin. Yeah, and well, I.
Speaker 2: Think what we're gonna do is edit this down and release like I'm not going to release on four and a half hours onto the podcast like audio. Yeah, I might break it down to a couple episodes, like the National Park interview.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good idea, I have an interview. Yeah, yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: That's a good idea.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of filler stuff.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of filler, but.
Speaker 1: No, some of you who hung on through to the end, thank you very much. This is a lot of fun. I actually enjoyed it. But I am exhausted. Me too. We've been dying for four and a half hours. But anyway, thank you all for tuning into our show and listening to locations unknown. Please tell your friends and family they're not all four and a half hours long, but just remember when taking a walk in the woods, always remember to leave no trace. Thanks and we will see you all next time.