Speaker 1: Welcome to spacing Out with BB and Jason this week covering Foundation season two, episode seven, a Necessary Death.
Speaker 2: Welcome to spacing Out.
Speaker 3: I'm BB and I'm Jason, and we are discussing the Apple TV sci fi series Foundation, one episode at a time and spoiler free. This is our first watch of the series, and we're not watching ahead, so we don't have any spoilers to give other than maybe occasionally a reference of books, but that's it. In this episode, Salvor begins to question the metallics motives, ober Mallow's proposal to the Spacers meets Resistance, and brothers Constant and poly stand trial started going with the These shorter descriptions kind of leaves a lot out. But you guys watched the episode, right.
Speaker 1: Vibe check? Did we like the episode overall?
Speaker 2: I liked it. It was fun. We got to learn more about those Spacers and the people who run those jumping ships, and the scheme got exposed and the new Queen was up to her own shenanigans.
Speaker 3: It was good.
Speaker 2: I liked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It maybe didn't leave me as excited as the last one did, but I mean I definitely get touched on all the storylines. And the tensions growing and all of them. I feel like, so.
Speaker 1: Trivia time, what facts or news could we uncover for a Necessary Death?
Speaker 3: All right? So Foundation Season two, Episode seven, Necessary Death originally aired on August twenty fifth, twenty twenty three. Written by Eric Carrasco and David Cobb, directed by Mark Conderai. Both of these writers are kind of known for doing a lot of DC Comics stuff, and Eric Carrasco is known for the animated series of Twilight of the Gods, which created alongside Zack Snyder. And then there's a when the Clerics are on trial, so Polyverisov offers brother Day and atomic astray as a gift. Like I said astray, I mean ash tray. So in the books, in the books they talk a lot about nuclear power, I think because it was the nineteen fifties and that was like a big talking point. And that's the reason that the Foundation is so technologically ahead of the Empire is they have the secrets of nuclear power and they have all these little nuclear trinkets that they used when they're out spreading the word of the Foundation. So I think that was just kind of a little little easter egg to that because the Empire has not seen that interested in.
Speaker 1: It Deep space dive. Let's break down some of our thoughts on the episode. You can share your thoughts with us through email or social media. We may use your comments on an upcoming episode.
Speaker 3: You ready to go into deep space.
Speaker 2: To dive into the wondrous, cavernous vaginal opening of the future Queen to be, because that's what happens in this episode, Adence, Yeah, what the hell?
Speaker 3: That's how those exams take place. I imagine.
Speaker 2: I bet that is a lot of it, Like it is back in like the time of kings and queens and women's honors and all that bullshit. They had a check to make sure that the hymen was intact, and I'm sure there was an audience. They even had like a gallery for people to witness them consummating the marriage. So it's not far fetched.
Speaker 3: Maybe the Empire was just like, this is actually a teaching hospital, so there's going to be students here.
Speaker 2: What a privilege to learn about the the royal uterus. And she like she's like celebrating this the first part. She's like drinking and saying, ha ha, look at me. He's so pissed that vein is popping out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so she's losing kind of this edge of control that she seemed to have had through this season, like emotionally, yeah, I'm definitely the stuff with her family. When she kind of shows her hand with Demersal that she knows who she is, I don't think she really gained anything from that.
Speaker 2: No, well kind of now Demersal is like aware of what she's aware of. She's like, oh, you do know a lot, like you are well.
Speaker 3: Informed, and she's clocked the threat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then she clocked she like flapped back or like countered with, well, you know, I know that your family was taken care of the same way that I would take care of them, and that was like eluding that there's definitely Empire involvement. So she showed her hand in a way that made her really upset. She was upset, like to find that out for sure now and less worse words, and she kind of let Empire know like, hey, I had a family this, they were real people, and I know that you indirectly had a hand in it. And he's like oh shit. And then she's like I need a speak to brother Don because I ain't gonna have this motherfucker's old ass baby. She wants that young sperm.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And she called it a bloodless coup and I love that.
Speaker 3: But Don was not that on board either.
Speaker 2: So but he did it. He smiled, he was like into it. He's like, ooh, this is suicide.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He doesn't had much else going on. He's not going to be empire. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just I feel like I'm hopeful for her endeavor of the stabilizing empire and getting her revenge. I don't think anybody likes empire ring now.
Speaker 3: No, no one that I could see.
Speaker 2: No, Like they're loyal by default, Like even his soldier that's like on his mission to go to the outer reach is like we should like what like like overthrowing the government is one thing. What he's like, there's consequences. That's the only reason I don't do it. Like it's entered his mind and he's thought about it. He's like, I can do it. I totally can. However, like what about this? What about that he's thought of it? Yeah, so it's very interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not that loyal. Yes's the best option? Yeah, Like, well he could go hang out with the foundation instead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and wow, Hobo mellow. I don't know his name.
Speaker 3: Because he's traveler.
Speaker 2: I don't know who is. What's his name hober Ober with an r okay, marshmallow, marshmallow. Anyway, he goes to these random coordinates and all of a sudden he's with the spacers and he has something to offer them, and he's like, freedom, girl, But the reality of it is, no, you're just asking for another, like another person to be dependent on. Real freedom would be we will give you the recipe. We will give you access to the mines or the the resource that you so desperately need, not give you little ales here and there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It reminded me of Deep Space nine with the those warriors that need the white stuff to live. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the dominion and their and their milk. Yeah. It's like, real freedom would be to be able to source it and distribute it, and to use it in a way that you see fit and learn how to live without it if possible, to slowly wean yourself off of this like substance, whatever it is, so you're not dependent on it.
Speaker 3: They didn't really pitch it that way. It's like, instead of being dependent on the empire for it can be dependent on us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how they pitched it. And that's something like.
Speaker 3: No way to guarantee that we won't do the same thing, exercise control with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we will try to lord it over you or control your your way of life in the same way. So I think that was really silly, Like, we can tell you how to do it, we can show you, we can give you the land or the whatever it is, however it is that it is, like created, that's not what you offered. So why would they take that offer? You stay with the evil, you know, not the unknown you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did the math and she's like, no, it's a bad deal.
Speaker 2: This is a bad deal. And if I back out of the deal and I deliver you to my captors, I get to see my daughter. So I'm going to go see my daughter and I'll let them deal with you. Thankfully, Becky saved his bacon.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, a little pet. This a little pet.
Speaker 2: And then he showed off what that with that ship can do in a way that they've never seen. That technology just blew their minds. I think that's got Empire a little nervous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I like, did Harry Selden did this go terribly wrong. Was it a bad calculation on him? Or is this working out how he thought it would? Like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think he so. The Harry Sulden that's orchestrating all of this is the mirage, the illusion, the computer, and I don't think that computer.
Speaker 3: Is as adaptable.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think it's as compassionate to the consequence of horbor Mallow being captured. He's not compassionate about Homegirl getting zapped out of a fucking existence. He's not compassionate about anything that the consequences of, like me sending you out to Empire and me sending you out on the secret space mission that you have no idea what it is, but you imporalize it or maybe he did.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Did we ever find out if Hobomelo knew what was going on or because we never saw him getting the instructions, that was all whispered right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it was a cool reveal, But I mean it would have sucked if he got captured.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Like, and then Homegirl getting tased to death? Is she dead? What's going on?
Speaker 3: I hope not, because she and Tober need to like bang it out if not, like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: Right? That's the only interesting love triangle anymore, because that one guy with the scary blue eyes ended up being another guy who was actually blocking his brain from Salvar. Yeah yeah, and poor Salvar. She's like, uh, just like Suss Mountain. She's like, I don't trust anybody. I can't feel anything. I don't like. They claim to be open, but I don't, like, there's nothing I can read from these people. And then the shrimps dying and screaming, fucking horrifying, fucking horrifying to boil them alive, that could like you. That shows you how little compassion they have for living things that aren't like them, Because if you had any humanity in you for living things, you would like flash freeze them or something so that they wouldn't like, so they would die quickly at least, and not boiled to death. Could you imagine being boiled to death?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like anything like lobster, some sort of device that just like you know, punctures their brain real quick, yeah, before you throw them in the boiling water.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, they're little. You can chop off their heads, you can do something. But she was eating the head first, to fucking eel. I like that they cut so you didn't actually see them eating them. You didn't see salve War partaking in that food or not. So it's kind of up in the air whether or not she actually took that bite or not.
Speaker 3: Sal War's vegetarian now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I kind of do understand the the argument that what about what about plants? Plants feel things, And I feel like that's kind of a valid point. You shouldn't need anything, you should just die of starvation, minerals whatever. Let's like the human existence. I don't know, Like I don't know, is like a philosophical question that I wouldn't want to have right before dinner when I'm fucking hungry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that kid brought them over there because they were hungry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't know, I don't know. I think there has to be a balance with things like if this species is so rare and hard to find, maybe you shouldn't be fishing for it because that's like killing it. They said that it's a it was almost fished out of existence because of it's like color properties from one of the emperors before them, Right, that's why they're so hard to find.
Speaker 3: You don't remember that.
Speaker 2: She was like the tides, that's that's what they were talking about at the boats. Then we switched themes and they're at their little area and she's like, this place was built by Emperor so and so and he was fascinated by the pigment and he overfished them and they almost that's why they're so hard to find. And maybe it's something else that they were talking about, because it's so fucking hard to follow sometimes what the fuck they're talking about because it's all aliens speak and animals and bloody blah blah. But I don't know what makes you better? Like and like I would have been, like, what are we celebrating. We're they're obviously celebrating that they fucking killed Homeboy and that they got Homegirl drinking their fucking kool aid.
Speaker 3: And she didn't have that ship they have. They're supposedly searching it. Yeah, somewhere else. I was hoping that's what sal War is gonna find.
Speaker 2: No. I knew she was gonna find Harry. I just didn't think he was gonna really be dead. He looked so pale, Holy shit. I never thought he could look whiter but he did, and then Homegirls right there and she's like silence, and she's like fucking Saramon and like straight up murders her. And that's where it ends. And I'm like, is this the death they're talking about? Or was it the other Homegirl that got taste to death? Who died? Who's dying in this episode? A necessary death? Is the name of the fucking episode? What? Or is it Harry Selden?
Speaker 3: I hope it's Harry, and I hope the others are not dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I'm thinking that, like the psychic link between salv War and Gail is so strong that Gail's gonna know something's amiss. I hope, you know. I'm hoping that that's something that can like save Selve War because she's one of my favorite characters in this in the seat in this universe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she's part of that vision with the mules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, Gail, what kind of visions are you having? Why didn't you visualize her drowning in a pool next to a dead body? But I think this Island is like putting their powers out of whack, So I don't know, we'll see very interestine episode A lot's happening. I didn't, And I like that the women are driving the story in a lot of ways because I hate seeing the men do it. They just suck.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I feel like this was a lot more women led than any other episodes, especially Becky Becky girl Power. So most of this series pulls from the original Foundation trilogy from the late fifties, but I've been reading some of the sequel books and a big so the spacers have been mentioned in there. They haven't shown up in the book, but they've been referenced. So I didn't know that that's where those people came from. And then also the idea that the Foundation has a ship technology that other people want has also come up in the later books as well as well as robots. Right, And we even mentioned the Three Laws of Robotics in this, which is from Yeah, Isaac Gotzimov's other series that he eventually tied in the Foundation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of scary that she doesn't go by those rules anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she definitely said she used to be governed by them m meaning she can now kill your family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she will do it with the precition precision, precision precision that she is known for that is what she said, the precision, I am known for crazy crazy. It was a good episode. I like this one. I'm like wanting to watch the next one now, just.
Speaker 3: Three more to go in this season. Let's talk about an Astral queen.
Speaker 1: Astral queen, who was the standout character in the episode.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give it to sal War. She smelled something fishy and it wasn't the shrimp. Sorry, what are you going for? The cloud queen? It was loos moves. I think she had some boss moves while she was on a table with her vagow.
Speaker 3: Yeah. She definitely didn't allow herself to seem humiliated.
Speaker 2: No, which is hard because you're just sitting there with your fagile. At least they didn't make her wear a paper dress.
Speaker 3: I think I want to pick the spacer.
Speaker 2: Woman, the negotiator. Yeah, yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, trying to remember what they called her.
Speaker 2: But she's like big mama spacer.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It was like homeship one something of something home. Yeah. I like the way she handled that.
Speaker 2: I thought it was cool that she could communicate telepathically somehow with her daughter. Yeah, that's crazy and I like that. The guys that have been working with her for all this time. Were like, I didn't know you could do that.
Speaker 3: Well, they should take more of an interest in her then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Like what's your home life like? Do you miss out where you live, where your parents? You have a boyfriend, her a girlfriend, her a partner. Very interesting?
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I think that wraps up our coverage of this episode. The next one will be called The Last Impress. I don't like the sound of that, and thank you for spacing out with us. Remember, sometimes a little death is necessary. It's tell them right at the very end.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she's still worse.
Speaker 1: She's so scary.
Speaker 2: I wonder the link are so bad. Okay, we're all done. Bill, does Gil really like?
Speaker 3: Sir?
Speaker 1: Thank you for spacing out with BB and Jason. You can help us out by subscribing and leaving a positive rating or review. Remember you can contact us through email or social media. Next time we will cover Foundation season two, episode eight, The Last Empress.