Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are.
Speaker 3: Getting off our show. Idiots.
Speaker 4: The kids are playing or turn at your countries are.
Speaker 1: Screwing it up.
Speaker 3: Gold Play inter murals, Brother, gold Play intermurals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but.
Speaker 5: They're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick coffee?
Speaker 5: All right, Good afternoon, Welcome in to a Monday edition of Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us, and I hope that you guys had yourselves a great weekend. I know I really did when it comes to you know, things that I have, you know that are that are very important to me in life, like my family and you know, my friends. I had a good weekend, and I guess it's a positive that I wasn't available to do the postgame show on Saturday. And as soon as you know that whole thing happened, still kind of can't believe that it did happen the way that it did, but I was able to just quickly put my phone back in my pocket because I was I was out of town and I had to watch on my phone because where I was did not have ACC network. Butun't a big deal, but you know, I was quickly able to just put my phone in my pocket and then head out to celebrate my wife's birthday with a lot of our friends. And it was, you know, I'm trying to find the positives here, trying to find silver lining because you know, I was able to put off talking about what happened on Saturday and just kind of, you know, try to forget about it. It's not something I can just forget about. And now here we are, we've got to discuss it.
Speaker 2: So we'll do that again.
Speaker 5: Coffee and Company Fueld. Beth Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Make sure that you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program at Thornton's if you haven't just yet. You'll save money at the gas pump and life will just be better for you. I can't guarantee you that that is the case. I mean, there's no way to prove that, but I just need you to trust me, because you know Thornton's is great and we certainly appreciate them. All right, if you want to join us on the show today, we will let you do it. Five oh two, five seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call, and again we'll open up phone lines here shortly if you've already gotten in and you're on hold, if you want to. If you if you can be patient, we'll get to you sooner rather than later. But no surprise without me doing a postgame show Saturday, and with what happened on Saturday, I'm sure there's plenty of people that want to want to react and share their thoughts and we will certainly let you do that. So again, five oh two, five seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give the call. Text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety. That is the ln N Federal Credit Union text line. So we've got radio Rick Ryder hanging out with us today producing this afternoon. So we are in good hands. And you know Austin, he's out today and he had to do the postgame show Saturday. What a what a tough break. I haven't listened to it, and you know, no offense to Austin, but like I probably won't because, like you know, I got to talk about it myself and it's a sad situation in general. So again, more opportunities for you guys to join us today and we'll do that throughout. So once you just let me get through and share my thoughts and the way I see it, then we'll we'll we'll get to you guys. So I mean, look, it sucked everything about it, and I thought about it since yesterday. On my drive home yesterday morning, I was thinking, Okay, am I overreacting? Is this recency biased? Is is this Is this really as bad as I want to say it is, because I want to say this is the worst Louisville football loss that I that I that I can remember that I've experienced. Now again, everybody's different, right, I mean, and I'm not even really talking about the emotion, because there's certain losses that you know, if you lose to your rival, if you you you know, you made it all the way. I mean, if Louisville was just imagine if Louisville like lost an opportunity to compete in the ACC championship with that loss on Saturday. So like those are ones where outside of you know, the whole conversation, is this one of the worst losses of all time? You know, the other layer is okay, you know it was it a punch to the gut. For example, last year when Louisville lost to Kentucky. I mean that didn't change anything about like the rest of the season for Louisville, but because again last game of the year. But obviously you know that wasn't about the record. I mean you still finished ten and two and you could have been eleven and one, so technically, you know, it did impact it in that way, but like that was just about getting bragging Rice back and overall it didn't change much of anything for Louisville at that time, but obviously it felt really bad because you know, that was the year to get them. So you know, take the emotional part of it out of it, because I think again certain losses may hit people differently, just depending upon everybody's individual way of looking at it. But for me, I think, you know, as far as a loss that let me let me let me rephrase, I think you could claim this is the you know, I actually you can claim what you want.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say this.
Speaker 5: I think this is the worst loss I've ever experienced as a Louisville football fan because of who you lost to and how it happened. Like Stanford didn't even do anything good, and we all know they're not good.
Speaker 2: They haven't.
Speaker 5: They hadn't won a game in two months, They hadn't had seemingly any momentum since they beat Syracuse, and I'm sure they had maybe a momentum type drive or something in the two months between their wins, but like they didn't do anything to like put you on your heels and give themselves a chance to win the game. They just took advantage of how undisciplined, how sloppy, and how Louisville wanted to give them the game. I mean, that's that's so, you know, it's terrible from from that aspect, as far as how bad Stanford is. You were twenty and a half point favorites. I mean, I think that just when it comes to point spreads, it's a top five loss of all time when it comes to just you being favored by that much and losing outright.
Speaker 2: But I also think it's.
Speaker 5: Even worse when you consider like what happened, like the way in which they lost. I mean, you you really can't make it up. You know, there are things that like and I haven't looked at it. Maybe I should because it would have been worthwhile to have these numbers as I start the show today, But like, I can't go looking up the percentage chances that they had to win up until they actually did it, because it would just make it you know, it wouldn't surprise me. It would be pretty you know, obvious, because there's certain things that Louisville had to do to give them a chance to win the game they did, and Louisville did it pretty consistently with a lot of you know, just a variety of errors from everybody involved, play calling from the coaching staff, just undisciplined, stupid penalties. I mean, just a just a just a bad game overall. So you know, it sucked.
Speaker 2: It really did.
Speaker 5: And as I mentioned a moment ago, like we're gonna we're gonna let you guys react and let you guys sound off. But I really don't know if anybody's gonna have a different opinion on what happens Saturday. I mean, like usually everybody knows if a team won, er they lost, and what the score was. But there's different different types of opinions that you get from that, right, I mean, that's what that's what this is, that's what sports radio is, that's what postgame shows are really for. But as far as just what happens Saturday, I'm not really sure if there's gonna be anybody providing like a different and unique perspective on what happened, because I don't. I mean, I think it was I mean, it's pretty clear what happened, like that was the ultimate terrible loss.
Speaker 2: So you know, for me, I'm not sad.
Speaker 5: I'm not even really angry because like, who would I be angry at, like team and I But you know, I guess if I was going to direct anger towards people, I would do it towards everybody involved. But like, you know, that's just not really how I'm you know, I've not been sitting around for the last two days thinking, oh these can believe that, you know, It's it's just what makes this weird, and this season, by the way, it's just been weird altogether. But what makes this weird is that like you deserve to lose that game one thousand percent, So like you know, yeah, you do that, and you you know, you play like that, you make those kind of mistakes, you know, things that you just ultimately can't do in a close game late you did, like you know that. That's That's what's different for me with this loss than a lot of others that I would chalk up as like, oh man, that sucked.
Speaker 2: How they lose that? You got to be kidding me?
Speaker 5: Is that like they made it quite clear really seemingly every play down the very down the stretch in the very end of the game, that they deserve to lose. So like, you know, you got what you deserved. I mean, that's that's that's that's what happened. And look, I says mentioned a moment ago, this season has just been weird, and I know I said that probably more times than I need to, and I hope that I'm able to describe what has just made it weird for me, but I'll try once more. You know, at this point, Clemson is the outlier, like that game was the outlier, because really throughout Louisville has been maybe not a team that was as bad when it comes to just making dumb mistakes and you know, being undisciplined and defense just reverting back to like not really being locked in and you know, committing a comedy of errors that kind of stuff. You know, like that that's kind of who you know Saturday. Saturday was next level, But like because we've seen it happen, even in games they've won, I don't know how many people could watch that thing and be in disbelief the way you probably expected to be in disbelief as far as how it all played out. So when I say it's weird, is that you know, they've they all year. They've been a pretty sloppy team. They've been undisciplined, They're towards the bottom of the acc when it comes to penalties. You know, they've they've made mistakes that I think seem to be pretty avoidable, you know, mental mistakes that make it hard for you to see yourself winning game after you make said mistake. And really that's they played ten games, and that's kind of who they've been all year. If I'm being honest with you, not to say that, like the season's been terrible, you've got a good chance to potentially well, I don't know if I believe that, right now, But I also can't say that I'd be stunned if they do win against Pittsburgh and then they beat Kentucky and they finish eight and four, and like that wouldn't be a year that we'd have to say that was, you know, the worst lowel of football season ever. So you know, it's just been weird, right, Eight and four is typically a good or sometimes really good year, depending upon you know, your schedule that kind of stuff, and obviously what expectations were before the season starts. But like, I've never felt like this team is in the position that they're in where they lose some of these games or they barely hold on against teams you feel like you should have blown out, like because they don't have good enough players, And I think that that's what ultimately makes it just, you know, different weird. Like I'll ask Louisville fans this, have you do you feel like you've watched Louisville lose more than two games this year where you felt like it was because the other team was just better. And I don't want to act like Louisville could go beat anybody if they play well, and like you just you know, I'm not saying this team should be sitting here ten and oh right now, trust me, because I think Miami was just better than you. You know, you could have won. But like, that's not one where I'm like, man, how do we lose to those guys? And in a weird way, I kind of say the same thing about SMU, like they just I mean, maybe if you don't give them two easy touchdown drives that were effortless for them on the first two plays of the game, then maybe it's a little bit different. But they came out there in your house and really just I mean, they set the tone and you had to play from behind, and you were there with a chance maybe to win a shootout and you know you fell. Sure, But I don't. I don't sit here now and feel like Louisville. You know again, I give SMU a lot of credit, but I don't know if I'd sit back and say, yeah, if they play that ten times, Louisvill's gonna have a really tough time beating them, you know, twice, because they're just so good when it comes to talent.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, are you.
Speaker 5: Guys with me Like Louisville, I don't feel like they've got the best roster of all time here at Louisville, but they're I don't think personnel is like a problem. Your star freshman running back gets hurt and then you put in another freshman running back who was sensational in Duke Watson.
Speaker 2: You know, Chuck.
Speaker 5: He you know, he's he's at times showed that he you know, he can make mistakes. He's not perfect. But I don't worry about Louisville having a good enough quarterback to go win games against these teams. I mean, the offensive line, Let's be real. They were criticized and I think it was deserved early on this year. But I mean, and again they played Stanford, but like they didn't give up a tackle for a loss. I mean they've they've really put it together as of late. Defensively. I mean, maybe guys regress and maybe some of it is on you know, maybe some of it is on the players individually. I mean it is like the players have to take accountability as well. But like I still think from a defensive perspective, like I don't think that like you are terrible when it comes to it's not even that I don't think you're terrible. Like I think you have good enough players to where if you were a little bit more sharp and you you know, you didn't make avoidable mistakes, and you were a little more disciplined, you again, you probably wouldn't be ten and zero, but maybe you'd be eight and two, nine and one. And they're not terribly far from that, right. We're not talking about a three you know, a three and five team or four and six team, but like they just should be better. And that's I mean, put it this way, Jeff Brams has said Jeff bromb has said this many times throughout the entire season, and it's really each time he said it, it stands out to me, and it's not some I mean, it's really what you would expect a coach to say, but for some reason, this specific quote from him, and I guess it's not really a quote, but it's just something that he has said many times. When discussing his team's shortfalls this year, he said that can't happen. He would tell you you could give you an honest answer as to why or as far as you know, what happened, where a play broke down or somebody made a mistake or you know, questionable decision by somebody, and then he always throws in at the end that can't happen, that can't happen, that can't happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, he said it a lot.
Speaker 5: Well, it's happening, and there's only one guy responsible for it continuing to happen, and that's Jeff Brom. So, you know, I think you guys are probably not going to be surprised to hear me say that. I still do not have any doubt in my mind that Jeff Brom is a good coach and he has the ability to, you know, he's a good enough coach in my opinion, for Louisville's program to win at a high level and maybe even accomplish some things we've never accomplished before, like last year when they made it to the a SEC Championship for the first time since they've been in the league. But right now, this team is six and four. They're underwhelming, it's disappointing, and there's ultimately one guy that's responsible.
Speaker 2: He's not the only one here.
Speaker 5: It's not like it's all his fault, but like he's the head coach here, he's making a lot of money. He knows and look, I don't think there's anything I said that he would disagree with. Maybe there is, I don't know, We'll never know, but my point is, like, you know, we got to call like it is. I don't think it means that the fan base wants him to be gone, but I do think they they want him to make some changes.
Speaker 2: To his staff.
Speaker 5: And there's one guy specifically that obviously comes to mind, and that's Ron English. And I don't know how you can do that for another season. I mean, I don't know what getting rid of him now would accomplish. In fact, there's you know, I'm not at all saying this has happened at Louisville or that I expected to. But in college football sometimes you get to this point of the season and coordinators know if they're coming back or not, and you know they're professional and you know they ride out the season. But and again, maybe Jeff will bring him back. I highly doubt it, but you know, usually with six with a six win team ten games in, still having a legitimate opportunity to go when your last two and go eight and four. I feel like this exact scenario in different eras, different seasons, we probably wouldn't feel the way that we feel right now and everybody. You know, maybe you guys feel totally different than me. That's something we'll find out when we get to the phone lines. But I will say, you know, like it's a reminder that with Bram here, we do have higher expectations because we expect to be better. That's why, that's why he's here. And also you know, I mean, I think when it comes to this, I mean this year and again I don't want to go back to what I've said probably way too many times when it comes to just the season has just been unusual when it comes to not really knowing like where you are. But after ten games, I kind of feel like, look, we know who this team is.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 5: There's nothing that would happen against pet or Kentucky that I can sit here and say would be like totally surprising, because you know, they've been rather consistent, and again Clemson is the outlier. But even when they are consistent and they make, you know, mistakes that you feel like are avoidable, they are undisciplined and make a boneheaded mistake and get a penalty that'll extend the drive for an opponent when you could have got off the field, or they'll make a penalty that'll kill your drive. Like those kinds of things have happened, right, Like, even in those games, even when you see that happen, you still watch them go out there at times and you can tell they've got like they've got good pieces, like they're a pretty good team. But the way everything about Saturday was just, you know, worst case scenario is a nightmare. And you know, I hope that they finished strong, but like I don't even at this point, and I'm sure by the time we get to you know, a little later in the week, it'll be different, but right now I really don't. I mean, again, what can I say about the pit game or the Kentucky game for that matter, as far as like, you know, like I feel like, if Louisville plays close to their potential, they should win these two games.
Speaker 2: But are they gonna do that?
Speaker 5: Are they gonna are they gonna give give us stretches of play where they look like they could you know that they're good, but then they'll you know, revert to doing just things you shouldn't be doing out there. I mean, just a bad weekend overall for Louisville fans. Jeff Walls and his team, They lose at Kentucky in the first game for Kenny Brooks as the Kentucky women's coach Lamar and the Ravens fall to the Steelers.
Speaker 2: The Chiefs finally lost. Do we care about that?
Speaker 5: I was happy to see the Chiefs lose, but that didn't do enough to where I you know, I feel like the weekend wasn't a disaster when it comes to the sports teams that I care about. Although Pat Kelsey and his team are back in action tomorrow against Bellerman and Coach Davenport's team does not have a win yet this year, so I feel good that we'll we'll see a victory for Louisville tomorrow, it won't mean much of anything. In fact, we didn't to have a conversation at some point about how, like, I know, playing this game is a good It's good for the city. That's what everybody says. It's what Pat Kelsey said earlier today, and I'm not gonna dispute that. But like you play certain teams within Division one, you only staying to suffer from it. I mean, I don't know if you can beat Bellerman buy enough points to where you're not going to go down in these formulas, and that's not I'm not taking a shot at Bellerman's program. Just stay in facts. So again, well we're not just going to be depressed about Leivell football today, but you know, obviously it's gonna be someth people want to talk about.
Speaker 2: So let's do this.
Speaker 5: We're gonna get to a quick break in just a moment, but I do want to go to get at least one phone call in before we get to break, because I know people have been waiting patiently, and I'm sure you've been wanting to discuss what happened on Saturday. So we will take a quick call here and then go to break and keep this thing rolling along. Let's go to Dave, who got in early today. Dave, how are we doing this afternoon, sir?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm still crying and recovering. You know, the last in the last second of the game, we get twenty yards and penalties to set up the game winning field goal, and Quincy Riley he continues to jump off side when the opponent sets up for field goal.
Speaker 7: How long is this going to go on?
Speaker 4: I mean, I just I can't believe how bad these guys playing. I mean, I'm just I'm a I'm a hard time adjusting that. Do you think have any idea about Isaac Brown?
Speaker 7: He finished for the season or so so.
Speaker 5: Jeff gave an answer earlier today when asked about him, and he didn't he just said, we'll see how he's gonna be, but we'll let you hear actually Jeff Brohm's comments after the after from earlier today at some point. But yeah, I mean, it didn't look great. He didn't return. But you know, I would say if he's able to go, he will go this late in the year, but you never know now day when it comes to just you know, the Quincy Riley jumping off sides, I mean, look, I would say that, you know, he's talented enough, but like you know, a veteran, a guy who's believed to be, you know, a guy that's going to be drafted, you just can't continue to make those kind of mistakes. And you know, it's one thing to just have a guy not make a play, or have somebody you know miss a field goal, or you know, just just just you know, when it comes to football, stuff that you know you just can't do when you expect to win a game, like the penalties at the end of that game. I mean, I mean you literally did the only thing you needed, the two things you needed to do in order for them to not even run a play but kick the kick a field goal and win.
Speaker 2: I mean that's what they did. You gave the game to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, you know, it's exactly what you about.
Speaker 3: Jeff Brohm.
Speaker 4: You mentioned this last week that after in his career coaching career, after every significant win, he always follows that up with an immediate loss to a team that he should have beaten.
Speaker 2: Yep, if it trends for him, Yep, no doubt about it.
Speaker 8: Dave.
Speaker 5: I appreciate the call, get to hear from you. Yeah, look, I mean we can't run from that. Jeff can't run from it. I mean it's it's a thing when he has a notable win, rather it be you know, a big win that he was favored in or a win that you know was a big upset. And I don't have the numbers. Maybe we go look into it, but I mean he said it last year after they beat Notre Dame, like he was well aware that he'd had other games where they pulled off an upset, a real notable win for the program at Purdue, and then they would turn around and lose to a team that you know, they weren't supposed to lose to, or maybe they would just you know, they'd have a because again, get to keep in mind, when he was at Purdue, they were underdogs in a lot of Big Ten games for the most part, so you know, beating Ohio State at their place, and I'm not even sure if that was when one of the instances where this happened, but they did beat Ohio State once and it was at home, and then they also beat Michigan State at one point, I think when they were top ten.
Speaker 2: Same thing with Iowa.
Speaker 5: You know, the next week they might not have went out and lost to a team as bad as Stanford is this year, but it but you know, it's like, if you can go beat them, how how do you follow it up with a loss to a team that is nowhere on the same planet as the team you just beat. So that let down performance following the big win bye week or no bye week, it's happening. And man like I don't, I mean, I would just be talking on my rear end if I tried to give you any kind of of a of Aju justive or an explanation as to how that happens, like I have no clue, Like that's just that's that's but.
Speaker 2: This was the year where and again, this is what makes it so crazy.
Speaker 5: If you wanted to just give a result to end the chatter about that trend, that was it because you almost won a game where you didn't even play well. Like even whenever they were about to give the ball back to Stanford, I just I still felt like they were gonna win an overtime, like I just assumed that that would be what's happened, and you get out of there, like it was never really a thought in my mind that they would end up losing. And then you know, was it three or four straight plays where you just can tell, like, all right, everything that that you know needs to happen to keep Stanford alive to win this thing in regulation is happening, and then you know, sure enough.
Speaker 2: It happened.
Speaker 5: All right, let's get too a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. Get to more of your phone calls. Five way two, five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to join us again. Five Oak two five to seven one seventy nine hundred text line Element Federal Credit Union text line five oway two six five three zero seven ninety. It is Coffee and Company, and we are Field Buth Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thorntons on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 5: We will let you hear Jeff Brahm's press conference from earlier today, probably in the four o'clock hour. Also, we've got some sound from Pat Kelsey, his team coming off a ten day break after that tough loss to Tennessee. So I wish there were some more challenges before you. And I shouldn't say that, you know, because I was, man, I was, I mean I never really thought about it until like right now at three point thirty one here on Monday. I mean, I think when I talked about the Stanford game on the pregame show, I know, last week on the show, I mean I never even entertained any scenario where Louisville wouldn't have won the game. And it wasn't because like I just think Louisville's so great. It was because like Stanford was that bad. So you know, maybe maybe I shouldn't be as confident. But man, if Louisville basketball has trouble with Ellerman and can't get by Winthrop before they take off the battle for Atlantis, that's no bueno. But I think they'll be in good shape tomorrow. But it is Coffee and Company. Thank you for joining us, Thank you for hanging out with us here on a Monday afternoon. We are fueled by Thornton's. Make sure you give their new breakfast sandwich a shot. I don't know if you guys have seen the new food items they have. One of them is a delicious and I mean a very delicious breakfast sandwich. It is a waffle, sausage, egg and cheese sandwich, so sausage, sausage and cheese, which is delicious. Of course you throw a waffle in there as the bun.
Speaker 8: I mean.
Speaker 2: It's delicious.
Speaker 5: So it's limited times, so check one out, grab one if you haven't yet. I think you'll really really like it. All right, we're gonna go to the phone lines here in just one second, but I do want to clarify just some numbers real quick here because I mentioned the loss. I know it was one of the bigger upsets Louisville has ever been on the wrong side of where they were favored by a lot and you know, couldn't get it done this one here. Let me pull up the actual numbers here courtesy of Kelly Dicky Real Card Game on Twitter if you're not following him, so louis will closed it minus twenty and a half the other games where they lost, there's only four games where they've lost as bigger favorites two thousand and seven when they were thirty seven and a half point favorites against Syracuse. The lost is Cincinnati in ninety one, which I have no memory of I was three years old, but they were twenty three point favorites, twenty seven and a half point favorites against Kentucky in twenty sixteen, and then South Florida in two thousand and five, they were twenty one point favorites and lost.
Speaker 2: I remember that game very vividly.
Speaker 5: That one actually just because of you being favored by twenty one and you lost forty five to fourteen. That one, that one's bad. But after that then it's this one. And I just think, you know, point spread is a part of it, but I think the other factors. I mean for me, I think it's worse, but everybody's got their own opinion on it.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 2: Right, let's go to the phone lines.
Speaker 5: Five OX two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number again, five O two five to seven to one seventy nine hundred. If you want to give us a call, We've got some open lines. But let's bring in Cody. Cody, how you doing this afternoon?
Speaker 7: Brother? Hey?
Speaker 8: Nick, what's happening?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 8: I got a question. I'm just what is going on with these close lines? Like, I mean, I would rather than get blown out than get these close losses, dude, Like stuff is so frustrating. I mean, I can't just fathom how they can keep blowing these.
Speaker 3: Leads like this.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm with you, I'm with you, Cody, and I'll i'll and I want to say this because that that kind of it speaks to my whole thing about like this has just been. It's not the record, it's not like one specific incident. It's just been like I would rather get blown out than than than lose games like we saw Saturday and again. But both results if you're losing are still terrible. But like when they would lose to Notre Dame playing so poorly where you feel like, man, if they just do like one little thing better, they probably win. You know, same thing against same thing against SMU. You know, Lay just making the mistakes she can't make.
Speaker 2: So I'm with you on that.
Speaker 5: That's why it's just been weird to me, because six and four with a chance to go eight and four usually is not something that's just so frustrating. But the way everything is played out, Man, I'm with you, it's just been it's been brutal. I don't ever want to sign up to get blown out and get beat down, but I think this season has been has been an experience for me where I'm like, yeah, I think of the two bad options, I think I would take that.
Speaker 8: One absolutely, Nick. And there's two more things, two more quick things, Harry, I'm gonna hang up and listen and look. I mean, and obviously getting the Clemson win is great. I mean, that's obviously the probably the second biggest game on the schedule as far as being a fan where we want to win, aside from beating Kentucky. Nick, But one more thing on that play where at the end of the game where bron decided to go for it on fourth ten, fourth and ten. I don't hate it, but you have got to tell Taler shuck while he's back there. But you cannot leave enough time on the clock for them to get into field goal range, especially with how they talked about how this kigger for Stanford has a big leg and obviously as we saw, and much less leaving time on the clock. How brain dead do you have to be to commit two penalties and not take any time off the clock and give them seventeen extra seconds. Granted, the out of bounce call where he was twisting his leg was a little I mean, I may or may not have had a little bit of money on Louisvill's team total, so I might be influenced a little bit, But that's about the point. That was a little bit egregious to me. I think you can let that one go. But even committing the five yards enalty which gives them five extra yards, it's just it's insane, Nick, Like this is year two. They have to be coached not to do these things.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, Cody. Good to hear from you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, I'll say this when it comes to and I'm not trying to be funny. Here, I'm being serious. When it comes to the end of the game when it was tied up. I think if you were to say, okay, what can be done here for Stanford to win this game in overtime with a with a kick? I mean, Louisville did things that like that's exactly how that scenario happens. Now again, I don't think that they were trying to lose trust me. I hope people can understand that, Like I would never think that or or say that. Even if I thought that, I would never say it because that would be really stupid of me to do without knowing that for certain. But I'm just saying, like you could have okay, yeah, let's let's let's let's just drop the ball and we'll pick it up and score. I mean, like if you were to trying to script a scenario to where they win it that way, Like if you're making a movie about this, this redemption story with the kicker that they talked about, like that that that's it, right, Chuck not taking up a whole lot of time when he's back in the pocket, dropped passes when you you know, stop the clock, not forcing them to call any timeouts they take over because you turned it over on fourth down where they took over, and then you know, you commit two penalties that moved them up and then they get it. I mean, like it's it's insane, but yes, that's I mean like it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like.
Speaker 5: I hate to be spending my spinning my wheels here and and just not being able to speak, but I don't know what to say like that, the way that played out at the end, Like it's quite literally what you would need to do for them to win the game that way to give it to him and that with that ending, I don't and there's no way that was the plan. But man, that's to just how poorly disciplined this team is and they're just out of sorts. And they've been like that really all year outside of Clemson. I'm not taking anything away from the Clemson game. That was great, and I felt all year that this team actually has the pieces to be good, but they're just not. And what makes it I think, I guess more frustrating for me as I'm talking through it here. I didn't get my therapy session on Saturday night because I was I didn't do the postgame show, to be honest, with you. No offense to you guys, I would have you know. I love doing the postgame show with everybody, but like I'm glad I wasn't because that was that was brutal. But I think why it's just such a sour situation to even if they go eight and four, I'll be happy, Like I'll still say, hell, that was a good year because again you would have eliminated the Street to Kentucky, you beat Clemson for the first time, like eight and four. I'm still not going to act like that's a huge disappointment to where somebody, you know, where it's terrible. But clearly, I think I've seen enough to where I know this team not only should not be doing the insanely stupid stuff that we saw against Stanford and that we've seen in other games.
Speaker 2: I think this team could be really good. I really do.
Speaker 5: And you know that doesn't matter if they don't win games, and when you lose to teams like Stanford, like good luck. I mean, to be honest with you, Louisville was in the playoff rankings because they had one good win and then they had three losses to good teams that they played competitively in games they could have won, but now like the benefit of the doubt of that is all gone when you lose to Stanford. I mean not saying that, like you know, I mean, clearly they're not going to be ranked at any point the rest of the way, and I get it. But what I'm saying is, like, you know, I still think like that they could lose to pit and do the same stupid stuff we've seen them do, and then if they go out and play well against Kentucky, I mean, that would be great, but like two things. One, I can't expect that, but like if they did it, it's not like, oh my god, where'd that come from? Because again, I think this team has the personnel to where they just shouldn't be doing this stuff. And look, when you're this undisciplined and it played out the way it did against Stanford, likes, that's that's responsibility to make sure that doesn't happen. That's why I tried to really hit home that he keeps saying, well, that can't happen, that can't happen, that can happen. Well, man, it's continuing to happen. And like it's not all his fault. There's collective blame to share here, but like he's responsible for the program, like you know, he's got to get that fixed, and how he does it, it's on him. Or back to the thone lines five two, five seventy nine hundred is the number.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Mike. Mike here on Sports Talk seven ninety. How are you.
Speaker 7: Hey? I won't say much. The only thing I'm saying one, uh, I don't mind going for the touchdown. Brooks was in the open, in the very corner or quarterback and throw the ball. That doesn't bother me. But I think two things. I think our defensive culture then this year needs to go. And the kid calls the fifty year piloty if he plays and either one of these next games or the rest of the year, then something's wrong. I mean that the kid pushed the guy for no reason and calls to us, really that was it?
Speaker 2: Fifteen Mike.
Speaker 5: It's one of those things where you would you would you would show that to other teams to show like a very undisciplined player, and like how you have to be held accountable for those kind of mistakes because though I mean it's not one mistake, I lost the game.
Speaker 7: But he plays the next two games, I lose respect for all the coaches and full lame playing. So those are my comments. Uh, let's see if we can win these last two.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thank you, Mike. I appreciate it. Look, I'm I'm hopeful that they will.
Speaker 5: But that's what's just going to make it so awkward for me is like I I try not to ever just fib and go out here and just you know, yap and say things I don't believe, because that wouldn't be any fun. And I think you guys be able to pick up on it, like I have no clue what we're gonna get in these next two weeks.
Speaker 2: Have you seen this team ten games in? You have no clue.
Speaker 5: I mean to be honest with you, If if we're just going to base it off of consistency, there's a better chance that we see them make mistakes where you think, like, how does this keep happening? Now, they've been able to do it at times and beat you know, not great teams, and I don't know how good Pit is. They're certainly better than Stanford. In fact, at this point, I think you'd probably say that they would be your best win outside of Clemson, and I guess Georgia Tech. So you know, I'll figure it out as we get closer to the game. But like right now, thinking about these two matchups, which I hope they win and I know that they have the ability to do it, but like trying to get into what we expect to see. I mean, the safe bet would be that they'll still be undisciplined and they'll still make some crucial mistakes. Now you'd hope that it wouldn't be costly enough and you know there won't be as much of them to where you can still hold on and win. But like after Saturday, I don't know, Man, that was that was insane. All right, Let's go back to the phone lines here. Let's get a couple of callers in before we hit our next break. Five O two five seven, one seventy nine hundreds the number if you're going to join us here again, it's coffee and company. Feel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety nit coffee. That's me taking you up till six o'clock, So hang out and make yourself at home. Let's go back to the phone lines and we will bring in Ben Ben. How are we doing today?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 9: Oh, it's up man, And yeah, I agree with every saying, dude, this is bad. It's embarrassing, and it's just disappointing this roster.
Speaker 5: It's not anger or sadness as much. I mean, I'm sure there's feelings of that, but disappointing is the best way to describe it.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 9: It is, and you know it, it's kind of like what you're saying, Like I can't remember one thing my time had a receiver as good as Brooks.
Speaker 6: I mean, look less, you know, are running back is awesome, All of them are good.
Speaker 9: Our all line is finally blocking like you've probably got a good quarterback. And and even the defense like yeah they suck.
Speaker 6: Well, there's still some big names on that defense and probably our highest paid.
Speaker 2: Players on the defense.
Speaker 5: And that's the one thing, Ben that I just don't really know how to like, I mean, I probably should just say what I think and not worry about, you know, looking like a fool, But like I want to say the defense is good, but really I can't, you know what I mean, Like they you know, you can have ability, but if you continue to just you know, and you're not well led by your by your coordinator, that's pretty obvious. But there's guys that we've watched make plays here before that just haven't been able to get comfortable this year. I don't know if it's because how they're being utilized or what it is, but yes, like when the defense has their issues, I still don't think like, well, hey, man, we really we really went out and brought in some duds in the portal, but we brought back some insanely talented players Ashon Jalatti and Quincy Riley. You brought in dudes that I think Tamarry McDonald's really good, Stan Kwan Clark, Like, I don't think the defense is a weakness when it comes to talent, and yet you know they're just a mess.
Speaker 6: I agree, man. And then like the DC issue, Man, I'm starting to worry, Like that's just a test to Jeff Brown period, Like he's been a coach for a long time, Nick, and all of his dcs have sucked.
Speaker 9: Sorry, he's never even had an average defense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And what's crazy, Ben, is like the reason the only reason Roun English came with Jeff wasn't because of his resumes, because well, hey, this guy actually did a decent job for you know, compared to the previous defenses that he's had it Purdue, and he was like, well, hey, this is better than it has been, so I'm gonna keep rolling with it. And now, you know, you kept him around after last year falling apart where he himself took the blame meeting ron English, and now this year, I mean, clearly he's he's a big factor. I'm not saying it's all his fault, but certainly like he would be a real surprise if Jeff doesn't make a change there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, Nick, And just as far as like the discipline and all that goes, I just want to get on this and I hang up. We we are to the point now, cousin, were just pay for players, like it's just straight up pros, Like, yeah, these aren't These aren't freshmen. We're grooming and disciplining, you know, until they're old enough to not make the mistakes like he just growing men. They're gonna go back to and get a check like and we're we're like the people with last and agency and recruiting. So I'm guessing this is gonna be our method and moving forward, which is fine, you know, but we're also gonna take that good with the bad, I guess, and the bad is we're just gonna be on disciplined to say, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, thank you, Thanks Ben. I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of what he said there as far as like the strategy with recruiting and uh, you know with with N I L and how now like we're paying players and whatnot. I don't have a lot of time now, and I want to sure you get to a break, but I do want to kind of reset on that because and I'll just save it. But let's get a break out of the way. We'll go back to the phone lines on the other side. Jerry, you're up next if you want to hold through the break. If not, we'll go to the next caller. But we'll take a quick time out come back into more of your calls right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 5: That's right, we are wrapping up hour number one here on a Monday afternoon Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So very little time left here. Actually, well, yeah, we got some flexibility, so I don't want to act like we got to just get out of here, like right now. But we will go back to the phone lines. Obviously been a very caller driven first hour, which that usually happens when you have situations, as you know, similar to what played out on Saturday on the West Coast. So let's go to Jerry, who now joins Is Jerry? What's happening?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 3: About about Jeff bron I was one hundred percent for the hire. Okay, his resume merited it. Unlike our past basketball coach. He wants to be here. That's important to U of L football fans that he's not meeting somebody at an airport in the middle of the night. I'm still in Jeff Brown's corner, okay. But but here's the thing. I think everybody's missing some things when it comes to his staff. I just don't think we need to look at Ron English, and I do think Ron English needs to be replaced. But I think Jeff needs to as I said for four to six weeks ago on this show, he needs to look at in the mirror and decide, you know, what kind of staff change you're gonna make. I think Brian needs to go. I think he needs not because he's terrible. I think he needs to go for Jeff to hear a new voice. They're brothers, They're they're gonna think alike. They're gonna they're not. They're not gonna challenge him the way somebody come from the outside would another thing. I would bet you that we're the only Division I program where the director of football operations stands beside our head coach with a headset on and has input at the end of the game on whether to punt the ball or go for it on fourth down. Okay, and Greg has no I'm not killing the guy, but he's a director of football operations. He doesn't belong on the sidelines in Jeff's ear, I'm sorry he doesn't have the resume. Look it up. It's factual. Okay. Going forward, I just don't see this team finishing two and oh. I think we're gonna go one and one at best. I think we're gonna lose in Lexington. Again. I hope I'm wrong. Okay, but again, four to six weeks ago, I talked about the John L. Smith level of incompetence and lack of discipline, and that's where we're at. And again I think it's a total shakeup. You look at his staff and all the familiar faces on that staff. He needs to get people and to think, get him to think outside the box on things. The one got one more comment. The one guy said he didn't have a problem with him going deep. I do, because we didn't even need a first down. All we needed was seven to eight yards and we're kicking a field goal for the win and we go for the end zone. I mean, what are we doing? You know, I would never understand when we went to when we broke cuddle, I told my wife, I said, they got to work the sideline and get out of bounds. Ten yards is all we needed. We didn't even need ten really, we had time out left. It's just frustrating. But I think I think he needs to look at his staff from A to Z. He can get by with these things in my book, in my mind if we're nine to one, but we're six and four, So I question everything, And I questioned Greg having his ear on the sideline. It's insanity that he has that much say over there, and he's a director of football operations, for God's sakes.
Speaker 5: Jerry, I appreciate the call man. I will say this, and we've got to get to a break, so we'll do that right now. But where I wanted to start the four o'clock hour, the last two calls really kind of are leading me in that direction. So we'll get to all that next. Well, we have to get to a break a little late here. Apologize, but stick with us. We got two more hours to go right here. On Sports Talk seven ninety