Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Pictures Media Radio. Welcome to Policy and Rights Show, Gosh welcomer Policy Human Joys.
Speaker 2: Good morning everyone, and thank you for being here. As chair of the Arab Group for the month of May, I'll make a few opening remarks and then hand over to the Representative of Palestine, Ambassador Magidbamia. Following Wednesday's Security Council briefing on the situation in the Middle East, the Arab Group stands united in our determination to mobilize and put an end to the catastrophic war on Gaza. The Arab Group calls on the Security Council to take immediate action to bring an end to this horrific war and Israel's inhumane blockade on the Gaza Strip. Most urgently, we demand the lifting of all restrictions on humanitarian aid and its distribution. Based on humanitarian principles, the Council cannot stand by starvation is used as a weapon of war. The Arab Group categorically rejects Israel's proposed aid mechanism, which violates basic humanitarian principles and international law. At the same time, we reiterate our long standing demand for an immediate, unconditional and permanent ceasefire and the immedia an unconditional release of all hostages and the release of detainees. The Council must shoulder its responsibility and take decisive action to this end, including by adopting the draft resolution on Gaza that is currently being advanced by the E ten. As we look toward the upcoming Conference on the Two State Solution co chaired by Saudi Arabia and France, it is critical that member states take concrete actions to advance sustainable peace. Those countries that have recognized the State of Palestine and strongly encourage others to follow their example. Recognition is not just a symbolic gesture, It is a concrete step towards a just and lasting piece. The time for half measures has passed. The Security Council must fulfill its responsibility to maintain international peace and security and to protect civilians. Palestinian lives are not less valuable than any other lives, and the Council must act accordingly. I now turn to Ambassador Margit Bamia of the State of Palestine.
Speaker 3: Thank you, mister Cheff, thank you for being here, and allow me at the outset to thank the Arab Group for the relentless efforts over the last twenty months. I think at this point the situation does not need more description. It's enough to say, Guz for everybody to understand the human tragedy unfolding before our eyes, the constant bombardments against the population who has nowhere to flee, the dispersion, the displacement, the killing, the starvation and the killing of children, and the starving of children. So we need to know what we are talking about. There is international outrage, but our outrage is not good enough. It's not good enough for the people of Gaza to know that the world condemns this action, condemns these crimes, stands against them.
Speaker 4: We need actions.
Speaker 3: This is the responsibility of the Security Council, and we call on the Security Council to act as an Arab group. But this is also the responsibility of the other bodies of the United Nations. It's the responsibility also of a General Assembly, and it's the responsibility of all states to take the requisite actions, decisive actions that deter is then from continuing on this course. Our demands are clear, they are simple, they are aligned with international law and honestly, with the bare minimum of human decency.
Speaker 4: We demand an immediate cease fire.
Speaker 3: And here allow me to command Egypt and Kata, who are standing beside us, for all the efforts they have done in coordination with the US administration in trying to secure such a ceasefire. And we want to see in that context the implementation, the full implementation of Resolution twenty seven thirty five of this very Council, which foreseas and end to the bloodshed, release of hostages and prisoners, the massive entry of humanitarian aid, and the full withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza. And that should be the foundational rock on which we can build further and end to the assault against the Palestinian people throughout the occupied Palestine territory. What we've seen, these scenes of displacement and killing in the West Bank, the breach of the sacredness of our holy sites, all these attacks have to cease, and Israel needs to understand it is not true massacres that they will achieve anything. We are confronted with an attempt to liquidate the Palestinian question by force, to end the Palestinian people and to end the Palestinian cause, and that attempt will.
Speaker 4: Not be successful.
Speaker 3: But we also while Israel tries to Israeli government tries to portray the Palestinians as monsters, as human animals, which Natania who repeated again we cannot also expect Palestinians to be superheroes. That they need to resist to all of this on their own, that they need to figure out a way to survive, that they need to figure out.
Speaker 4: To stay in their land.
Speaker 3: Israel wants to convince them that if they want life, they can only find it away from their land. Our responsibility, our collective responsibility, is to help our people find life and liberty in their own homeland. Second clear demand is the entry of humanitarian aid. It's impossible that twenty months later and two months after a total blockade, we.
Speaker 4: Are still talking about this.
Speaker 3: But Israel, after having used all the weapons of war, now weaponized starvation, now is weaponizing the distribution of aid to fulfill its objectives of displacing the Palestinian people, of stealing their land. We have a U N plan that we stand behind that provides all the requirements to provide aid to the people and deliver it throughout the Gaza Slip while providing all the safeguards that are required. There is no explanation to why we would need a different mechanism, except that we want to prevent people throughout the Gaza slip from the receiving the aid they desperately need. These are our asks and they are very clear. Is actually read and a whole tlmate to a halt and a calimtres the tech fee Lita nder the issue una and Mama mensis vitammel masuriette. We're not true, I don't men jamilam and Tata hammel mus Ulietti min care fretted duel and Tata Hammel masuliet her a sacked, will rub up well Edna will e stern cab rere cafe and the myt fall and the mate home and the Mayohaku nurse Letaba for cutsocked bell bill fail warm troup, min carefett, the duel and Tata Hammel mus uliet Rada will walk and ibad and Jamie. We have to shovel for the STRAINI well work for health. The al muftyla major Mula.
Speaker 4: Was called the nurse.
Speaker 5: What ub.
Speaker 3: Jam Huna your high shab Philostini were like in Mahuan matlup definite alad cool auld definite home, I mean and Mama he looked, but actually in crazy Hayati woman Toby been working for mam at the barbet in the enclass Hayat al Jaha jisanazin is alarm you as in my stamand you as the.
Speaker 4: Fie him and Jadid Mahuel matlun my fall shah.
Speaker 3: Had let have stime, let care till actually have him bi Mafi hunk Masulia what insan years we work films, We work with Unali what luck no fai who and I don't know how you would cut manna June but don't see m h work with luck now Talm, I work with luck now yes, mahbit and fifth at.
Speaker 4: La sabas Latin. Well the last career work at luck now them well it locks Insania where your.
Speaker 3: Idan alah in siha bill came in little cots form and ras mohawt is will have well, I do what jure and totally shabble philistinium and up there yeah if sa lei j wellll cattle well it tju wellll is I love the Philistinia well the islamire tech fan yeah that doing that one up, I don't because in with cab Insnia one a hotel behead, the ship one other fowt is i and the Stamin and Insna sharp Whill's still the athert Mama Mantecatin well to read and salm and Adian and phil had the hill Monteca and and and bill Ma soul alone with if you shall have the city and yaf mam mah the hilt and your and Hasima, you have to have a shabble fill of Stini lay some shabble Fillustini Jill and bade Jill and yet and you had to have a little however the.
Speaker 4: Mosill mosilevilla.
Speaker 3: What if Salem la be my mir will be my actually Salem little Jamier will be my Jamier was Shahbul Philustinia.
Speaker 6: Ambassadors call from US News and World Report. Can ambassador answer the question you mentioned the June conference? Is there what kind of concrete steps are you looking at? And to Ambassador al Tani, if you could talk about the ceasefire and what prospects there are for the current proposal.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you.
Speaker 2: I we are following the lead of Saudi Arabia and France who have set a an aim of having concrete steps that can bring us closer to a lasting piece. And you know, obviously there are expectations of recognitions for the state of Palestine, but there are other plans that I won't speak to. And there are of course eight working groups that are working on these concrete steps.
Speaker 8: An ambassador, Tony.
Speaker 9: Yes, thank you, thank you so much. I mean, the state of Guitar, of course, is engaged intensively together with the United States in Egypt to stop the humilitarian catastrophe in Gaza and and this war. Negotiations are ongoing on the current proposal, and we are very determined. We are very determined since Catar is very determined to finding an end to the to this horrific situation in Gaza.
Speaker 10: Thank you, ambassadors.
Speaker 11: You have been appealing to the security concert or should go it's responsibility in time and a gain and a game and a game and.
Speaker 4: The security process, in money for resolutions.
Speaker 11: And to in this the GA and Iccha opinion.
Speaker 3: Yet it is already continued with its massive What is the art of the group and what tools you.
Speaker 11: Have you make this enemy or this uh uh a genocide.
Speaker 10: And agieve pay a price.
Speaker 4: So they were they sing no art countries because of it it's a relationships.
Speaker 3: No impressy was a closed no ambassad there was a So why has there any has to UH care for what the Arabs?
Speaker 4: You say?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 5: UH.
Speaker 2: This is of course a responsibility of the international community, including the Security Council. The Arab Group will, as it has UH for the past uh more than six hundred days, been UH advancing and UH urging the Security Council to take action. Of course, the Security Council has adopted some resolutions, they haven't been implemented. But it does not mean that we, you know, stop and stand by and fold our hands. So we continue to do everything that we can to ensure that this catastrophic situation doesn't continue.
Speaker 11: I have two questions follow that. First, what kind of actions do you want you see the Security Council that you act. Is it would be sanctioned or army margos from the our group. Secondly, we know that there is a dropped resolution by Algury circulating. It's been quite a while. What stopped the Council from taking action of that dropped resolution?
Speaker 12: Thank you?
Speaker 3: What we cannot say, what we cannot accept is that somehow these institutions or states are powerless before these kind of actions and these kinds of crimes. There are tools to respond to these kind of situations. We are hearing leaders considering of taking a number of decisions in the right direction, and we salute these decisions, but we need to reach a decisive level. It is clear that Israel until now does not feel deterred. You would have seen it in their statements or in their actions had they been deterred. So what we need are the actions that would deter them, that would hold them accountable for the decisions they make, and that would make sure that if they continue on this course, they understand the consequences that they will have to face, and that will be the only way for them to finally stop what they are doing.
Speaker 4: We hear our role as an Arab group in New.
Speaker 3: York is to act with the Security Council, with the General Assembly, is convincing states, and there are other efforts in every capital going on and that will hopefully culminate in part in the June Conference and moving forward from them.
Speaker 4: But we asked about the June Conference.
Speaker 3: The issue of Gaza is a part of that discussion, including the Arab or Ice Plan that provides a real life alternative to the catastrophe that we see before our eyes. The issue of the legal obligations of third states is among the discussions. We are having the issue of a sovereign and unified state of Palestine. What kind of concrete commitments states are willing to take at this critical juncture. This is the life and future of the Palestinian people today and of our region tomorrow that is at play. So what we expect is we need to elevate our response since still now there is the international response has not.
Speaker 4: Allowed to stop Israel from the mad March.
Speaker 3: It is on and the jeopardizers that constitutes an existential threat for the Palestinian people, but it also jeopardizes the lives of hostages and prisoners. It jeopardizes the future of peace and security on our region. It jeopardizes everything that is fundamental in the rule of international law. So we will do our part here in New York in making sure that these bodies do not stay silent while a genocide is ongoing, while massacres are ongoing, while starvation is ongoing. So the draft resolution is being discussed as we currently speak. It is an ETN effort and you will see it once they complete the consultations they are doing and as we said, are Demand's eye formulated them very clearly, and they were mentioned by the chair of the other group regarding the ceasefire and ending the starvation policy that is at play, and we said also we will go further in the General Assembly.
Speaker 4: And states have tools that their disposal.
Speaker 3: They cannot also hide from their responsibilities in using these tools. And as I said, we see an important conversation going on that needs to yield concrete results and concrete decisions that are of a decise in nature.
Speaker 7: Arab groups reaction to the Israeli announcement that it plans to build twenty two settlements in the West Bank and what impact is this going to have on the conference on a two state solution and a two state solution itself.
Speaker 3: I think this is another decision that shows the rift between the Iseli government and the entire world. Settlements are illegal, they are condemned across the world, and again maybe the international response, certainly the international response needs to be much stronger to prevent such policies from moving forward. What we are in front of an Israeli government that has an extremist ideology, and I'll add to that the political ambitions of its prime ministers, very opportunistic ones that are yielding what we are seeing in Gaza, a full fledged assault against the Palestian people, but also what we are seeing in the West Bank in terms of settlements forcible displacement, and the will of Israel of this is Raidly government is very clearly.
Speaker 4: Expressed by its Prime minister.
Speaker 3: There is no Palestinian state, there is no Palestinian existence, and so the response needs to match the words and actions of this is Raeli government. And that's what we will be working on, whether immediately in the Security Council, the General Assembly and among states, or at the June conference where you will see the entire world come together. And I expect until now that given whether Israeli government is, it's not in agreement with any of the fundamental those of international law, all the fundamental premise.
Speaker 4: Of peace in our region.
Speaker 3: There are decisions of international legitimacy on which we all concur Arabs and non Arabs. The entire world has an international consensus on the two state solutions, on a Palestinian state, independent and viable, living side by side with Israeli. On the sixth June nineteen sixty seven borders on the fourth of June ninety sixty seven borders, with each Jousalem as its capital. The fundamental principles of peace, Israel is not willing even to come close to them. That doesn't mean the world needs to change and adapt to Israeli crimes and Israeli extremism ideology. It means the world needs to enact a change in Israel whereby such policies by such Israeli governments will come to an end.
Speaker 4: Humanitarian there was sorry.
Speaker 8: Andses she have in your national capacity. UI has a large footprint in Gaza and the humanitarian side and medical assistance. Where's the trickle of the couple of drops came through the aid that's been transferred. How is the situation for UA humanitarian mission operating in Gaza, both on medical supplies and on aid substances.
Speaker 2: Look, obviously I'm not here to speak about the UAE. We're here as representatives of the entire Arab group. But I will say I will say that of course the UAE uses all its channels in order to get as much humanitarian assistance into Gaza. We have been a huge provider of humanitarian assistance. We've been operating field hospitals, desalination plants, and you know, these efforts have never stopped and we will continue to work to scale up humanity and assistance in every way that we can and through every channel that we can.
Speaker 13: Oh.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, welcome back to policy and rights here in Depictions Media Radio. I'm your host, Michael Cloggs. Okay, you just heard from the United Nations stakeout press press from floor about the Arab Nations uniting over the ideals of Palestine, giving Palestine its sovereignty and humanitarian rights and humanitarian efforts. Because let's face it that after a time of destruction and everything it's, Palestine being rebuilt is a major issue. It's a major global issue. And ensuring that Palestine, the people of Palestine, get to return back to their home is also a major thing. And ensuring that Israel just doesn't have the right to expand itself into the into those areas of Gaza that were destroyed and as they rebuilt and limit the territory that the Palestinian people themselves have had over time is probably not the right way to go about things. All that will do is cause more tension and in lead to possibly more fighting. There has to be a better solution, a better way of getting at things so that both they it's rarely government and the Palestinian people feel that that they have gained some ground and and lost very little ground under the idea of peace. Okay, So moving forward, and since we're on the topic of which which is actually Palestinian rights, are also Indigenous rights. Uh, since we're on the topic of Indigenous rights, and uh, we're going to hear from today from the a f N, the Federation of of of First Nations as the National Chiefs speaks about the throne speech that happened here in Canada and some of the things that were said about reconciliation. But more importantly, there is out there which is called a Infrastructure Report, and an Infrastructure Report for First Nations talks about the shortfall of things that happen in First Nation territories on the reserves as they're called here in Canada, and how things like clean water, adequate housing, schools are not provided. But as it's going to be mentioned, in a first world country, why is there third world conditions held for the First Nations people? Why are the indigenous people kept in poverty, kept away from from schools that have all of the all of the the basic tools that other school other public schools are afforded. Why can't that be a standard and bring the First Nations and Indigenous schools to that standard, ensure first that they have met that those schools that meet that standard, make sure that Indigenous communities meet the standards of other neighborhoods across Canada, that there is adequate housing and housing that isn't that is more than just a falling down shack. I'm sorry. I don't mean to degrade the homes of people who were on this land before fourteen ninety two. I don't mean to degrade them, but they in you. When you listen to what the AFN chief has to say, you'll she's going to use a similar language.
Speaker 5: The why is it that.
Speaker 1: These homes, these people, these people who they say that they want to have reconciliation with, are left behind? Is there another agenda? And when we looked at look at what's happening in Palestine versus what's happening here, are there some similarities into what's going on? Is there a quieter war being raged against indigenous people around the world that we just necessarily can't or we're we're blind to be able to see. We're going to hear from Mark Kearney as he addresses the Federation of Municipalities and he talks about infrastructure. He talks about helping municipalities seriously, not just offering classes and talking big about giving help for infrastructure. He's talking about actually doing the work and helping municipalities build stronger and build better. Then that also should be afforded to the First Nations people. Everything he talks about for the for municipalities, for everyone who is not First Nations should be afforded to them. And then and then some under the idea of reconciliation. Marcarnie's gonna be talking about a couple of key issues here. He's talking about affordable housing. And I still say this that we need to define what affordable actually means. What is that price tag and how does that convert to the average income of the Canadian How does that actually work out? What is affordable because what's affordable in one area is not necessarily going to be affordable in other areas. A three hundred thousand dollars condo is not affordable to someone who lives out in the middle of Saskatchewan, and it's there's going to have to be some sliding scale kind of reality on that. How do we determine what is affordable and what isn't affordable? How do we determine that that we need to build a multi unit homes and given and give away along with those multi unit homes give away what amounts to be kind of a government subsidy to build multi union homes over building a single family home. How does that actually work out? What about the single family home? What about the Canadian dream of having your own home just for your family? What about that? Is that dream now going to change because they're because of this quote unquote housing crisis. Is that housing crisis truly trulli an issue or is it something that they have made up in order to give us smaller spaces to live in? Some interesting questions that maybe we should think about as we listen to what the AFN has to say, and as we listen to what Mark Karney has to say at as he speaks to the leadership of municipalities. Okay, there are some things that are unquestionably very much so true and very much so needed, And there are some infrastructure items. They ensure clean water, they ensure power, that ensure internet service, they ensure ensure that we can live our modern lives securely. And Mark Karney is actually going to get to those sort of things without rhetoric, without anything more than let's just get the job done. And hats off to Mark Karney for saying, let's just get the job done. Forget the rhetoric, forget the all the rest of it. Let's get the job done. And that is what Canada needs right now, is someone to actually stand up and say, let's get the job done. Hats off to the First Nations chiefs who want to get the job done, and let's untie their hands so that they can get the job done and get their people First Nations people on board with everything else. So that in the schools, instead of limiting education, that we open education doors. So that we understand the cultures of everyone who lives on this land right now, not just the European cultures that came across the ocean, but also the cultures of the people who were deep rooted in this community before first contact. That we all find a way to celebrate all of our cultures, celebrate all of the people and support everyone so that we can all have a prosperous country. So why don't we listen with that sort of understanding as we listen to the National Chief of the AFN as she speaks about First Nations issues and issues around getting our federal government to do just simply what they say they're going to do in helping people live better.
Speaker 14: I'm going to ask Joe and Rose Anderson to just open us up in a prayer as we start to stay and we start new government and our relationship of course with all of you, Thank you, Thank you help me.
Speaker 10: Which we just senamamazing the walk home and English k did I make them one.
Speaker 5: Can be with me?
Speaker 14: Which well, thank you. I want to recognize our elders and our knowledge keepers, our people that help us pray. Nice to see you all this morning. I want to recognize Joan Rose Anderson for the prayers this morning and for being available today. I also want to acknowledge that we are on the Anishnabi Algonquin territory here in Ottawa, beautiful Ottawa, and thank you to all of the media for attending. We are pleased to be here to release the af n's third report regarding Canada's First Nation's infrastructure gap. As you know, the Assembly of First Nations has released a series of reports over the past last year with the federal government and the Conference Board of Canada to highlight the First Nation's infrastructure gap as a nation building project. Our first report last April captured the scale of investments required to close the gap by twenty thirty. With the Government of Canada. We concluded that was three hundred and fifty billion dollars. In our November twenty twenty four report, the Conference Board estimate estimated the economic benefits to Canada of closing the infrastructure gap over seven years at six hundred and thirty five billion dollars and three hundred and thirty thousand jobs across this beautiful country. And that's for all Canadians, including First Nations. The third report, which we released today, concludes that massive economic benefits are the tipping of the iceberg when it comes to the socioeconomic benefits for First Nations, particularly related to housing, education, and water. Sadly, the First Nation's infrastructure gap has perpetuated and deep rooted inequality in our country. This disparity has led to poorer health outcomes, limited education, opportunities and much less prosperity compared with other Canadians. So the benefit of addressing this discriminatory infrastructure gap cannot be overstated. Beyond moral obligations and economic returns, these investments will provide safe and healthy living conditions, improve education outcomes, strengthen mental health, stabilize families, and empower First Nations to be all that we can be, among other things. The Conference Board report highlights housing as a top priority. Poor housing conditions post serious health risks to First Nations. According to the twenty twenty one Census, First Nations are four times more likely to live in crowded housing than other Canadians and six times more likely to live in a home that needs major repairs. Crowded and unsafe housing creates negative outcomes beyond poor physical health, family violence, substance abuse, barriers to education, and the loss of our culture. So we welcome the Prime Minister Prime Minister Carne's commitment to get Canada back into the business of building houses. But to be successful, they must reflect First Nations perspectives from the start. That includes the new the new initiatives that were referred to yesterday in the speech from the throne, the Build Canada Homes initiative, the twenty five billion dollars for prefabricated homes, and the ten billion dollars of low cost financing for home construction. First Nations need to be at the table as these are developed over the coming weeks, and the benefits related to job training and construction must flow to First Nations people and businesses. In addition to housing, education infrastructure is another key element of this report that we would like to see and that we would like to touch on briefly here today. The late Justice and former Senator Murray Sinclair often said education got us into this mess, and education will get us out. So if we know this in a beautiful, rich country like Canada, Canada, why are half of our First Nation schools either overcrowded or in need of major additions or in need of immediate replacement. The Conference Board makes it clear that the benefits of investing thirteen billion dollars to close this education gap go beyond the twenty two billion dollars of financial return for the economy with safe, modern schools fully connected to the Internet. As if we're having this talk in twenty twenty five, First Nations can leverage our own resources, create self sustaining economies and real hope for a more prosperous future. Thinking ahead of this upcoming parliamentary session, we will conclude by welcoming the conference boards focus on clean drinking water. As we did with Senator Prosper last week, we call on the new government to introduce a First Nation's Clean Water Act into the new session of Parliament as the four first order of business. Inadequate access to housing and sanitation systems have been long standing issues. Prolonged advisories eroad trust and often lead to First Nations seeking unsafe alternatives even after boil water advisories are lifted. It is a shameful situation for a country as rich as our beautiful country Canada. Alongside clean water legislation, we call on Canada and the Province is to make the investments required to close the First Nation's water infrastructure gap. In addition to a dollar seventy nine return on every dollar that's invested, Canada will benefit from increased productivity and reduce rates of illnesses and disease in First Nations communities. We lift up chiefs and tribal council leaders struggling with these unfair infrastructure gaps and for all that they are doing each and every day to help our people in these circumstances. During the recent election, on behalf of chiefs across the country, the Assembly of First Nations published a priorities document titled Prosperity for All. Like the report we are releasing today, Prosperity for All was intended to be a roadmap to reconciliation for the next government. It includes a strong focus on economic reconciliation and closing the First Nation's infrastructure gap to drive Canada's collective prosperity for generations to come. These investments were needed before Trump to two point zero, and they are even more important now. The truth is that over five hundred and sixty billion dollars of projects are forecast to be launched on First Nations lands over the next decade. The potential benefit is in the trillions of dollars. Together, they represent a cornerstone of Canada's future economic growth, but they won't advance without First Nations support. If the government's version for First Nation's infrastructure is focused exclusively on building access to natural resources on First Nations territories, they have another thing coming. We can't talk about natural resource development and expanding the Port of Churchill, but let's get the basics right first. We can talk about it, but we have to get those basics. So let's start with clean water, quality housing and modern schools for our kids. We welcome the new government's interest in identifying large scale infrastructure projects to move ahead. But that is why, with the new parliament and economic followed from the US tariffs, we propose that the Prime Minister and his cabinet start with closing the first nation's infrastructure gap in this country. With the commitments and yesterday's speech from the Throne related to reconciliation and nation building, the sixteen findings in this report are very, very timely. Combined, they provide a blueprint for the mother of all Canadian infrastructure projects looking ahead to the next federal budget. We will send copies of this report to the Prime Minister, the Minister of Finance, other new ministers and members of Parliament from all parties. We look forward to engaging with them in the days ahead to keep this country's journey to reconciliation moving forward in a good way. Later this year, we will commemorate the tenth anniversary of the historic Truth and Reconciliation Commissions calls to action. Yesterday the King said, we need it to honor the Truth and reconciliation in both words. Indeed, what better way for Canada to reafform support for reconciliation than making the First Nation's infrastructure gap the country's top national infrastructure priority. So let's honor the calls to action, Let's beat Trump and get on with building this beautiful nation. Let's get on with building the high quality homes that First Nations need, schools, water system, power supplies, all seasoned roads and internet connections for our kids that have been promised to First Nations for generation. So thank you so very much, Maywich. Hi Karen.
Speaker 13: Karent I say APTM, first question. I mean, one of the things that the new Prime Minister has talked about is speeding up resource approvals, speeding up environmental approvals, and this would definitely help First Nations economies for First Nations who want to develop the car on resource extraction. But looking at the website, there's on free prior and form consent. They're still using the core definition that I guess First Nations can withhold consent, but they still can go ahead withholding consent doesn't stop development, what's the point. So I'm wondering if you know there's been any indication from the Prime Minister that will be done on defining free prior to conform informed consent as was promised when they passed the even drip bill.
Speaker 14: First of all, I want to uplift the chiefs in Alberta and BC in Ontario and everybody else that's supporting them. Very united. You see First Nations united across the country when our treaty and inherent rights are being trampled on. But I also just want to say that that'll be a point of discussion with my with my meeting with the Prime Minister and the days ahead, and you know we'll be back. We'll come back to you with that. But certainly, absolutely there's a there's a big question on that that we do have to get through with this government and if they want to do things right, like I said, start with the basics. Make sure that our kids have access to internet, two schools, to homes, to access to food, and poverty shouldn't be administered. And so I know that we have a lot of work to do, but I look forward to meeting with the Prime Minister, and that will be one of the first orders of business.
Speaker 13: Cool you'd be asking about free prior and FORMUA. Yes.
Speaker 11: And then just a second question.
Speaker 13: With a delay in the federal budget coming out, I'm just wondering about the finances of the Assembly of First Nations itself. I don't know if you've been able to negotiate funding for this fiscal or if you're riding off of what are like, has that been delayed at all?
Speaker 10: Have you got money?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 14: The Assembly of First Nations is you know, we had a surplus again this year. I think that everything's well at the Assembly of First Nations. Things can always always be better, like every organization, but I think we've got a strong team. I want to commend our new CEO, Andrew Bison, who's doing a phenomenal job making sure that things are moving slowly. I mean, we always want to make sure that the regions. We've got regional chiefs across this country that we always seem to have problems with every year that they don't put enough investments into our regional offices. And you know, I'd like to see the federal government help our regional chiefs across the country to make sure that they're well, you know that they're they're doing okay and right now you know the AFN is holding them up. But of course we do need support for our regional chiefs and our regional offices.
Speaker 13: I'm just not sure. Did the delay and budget cause any delay in negotiating. No, you've been able to negotiate all your funding agreements to.
Speaker 1: Go to see.
Speaker 14: Yeah, we're okay. Yeah, thank you Hill.
Speaker 10: Let's see us bev with the Canadian press.
Speaker 12: The Premister Garney promised to work on child Weilba reforms last week, told the Canadian Human Rights Tribing all the lawyers for Canada that they shouldn't have to consult in death in a we are trying.
Speaker 10: To discharge their duty to consult. You had all asked for water legislation to be introduced within one hundred days. I asked Indigenous Services that that was the plan. Did not get a yes or no answer. Are you seeing a mark shift from the Trudeau era? And what are you doing to advocate for communities needs when this seems to be a different environment.
Speaker 14: Well, first of all, I want to thank the throne speech yesterday. I think it was it was a chapter changing when we had free, prior and informed consent for the first time in the history of this country have that mentioned in a throne speech, and there was a lot of reference to Indigenous people in there. I want to take that as a positive and give them the benefit of the doubt. I know sometimes I've been through transition. I know sometimes during transition periods things have been chaotic, and they have been I mean, I went to the you know, I've done a few things with them during right before the election that was really difficult without a government there. So I'm glad that they're there, and I hope that they come together quickly and there's always room for improvement, and we'll be there to tell them and remind them when they're shorting First nations in any way. Is there a change. I'm sure there's obviously going to be a change, I think from one government to the next. But I think, you know, I want to I've spent some time with Prime Minister Carney last weekend all weekend on on weekend, and you know, we had deep discussions on many of these issues, and we do want to make sure that water legislation is that those discussions on water that we begin to work on those very quickly. I also want to make sure you know if there's something as a mother and a woman every time that we have babies, and no other group in the world is legislated the way First Nations are. We're the only group around the entire world that is legislated. And every time I have a baby that the government wants to know if my child's eligible to be First Nation, and I think that that's something that we have. There are uncomfortable con versations that need to be had. But the second generation, the government keeps losing in court because they keep discriminating against us. We have a baby and they ask who's the father? Very intrusive, Right is your baby first Nation? Very intrusive? And I think that's another discussion that I want to have as a mom and a because you're seeing it right. They come at First Nation so hard, and I think that we have to have that uncomfortable conversation with Prime Minister Carney. Of course, there's always there's policing, and you're right, the unfinished business of child welfare, so lots of work to.
Speaker 1: Do on The.
Speaker 10: Chiefs are in town.
Speaker 13: This week.
Speaker 10: He disappointed that they weren't invited to the throne speech and didn't get an audience with the King. But beyond that, the Globe and Mail reported this morning that Ottawa gave the First Nation's Council seven days to meet with them or could or submit their thoughts on proposed legislation around projects identified to be in the national interest. Chiefs are bringing up I don't know more in Ontario. Does this concern you?
Speaker 14: Well, I'm proud of them. I mean, you have the provincial governments trampling all over treaty and inherent rights across this country, from Alberta to Ontario to b Se. Many other chiefs are standing up saying how can we help. I don't blame them. They're frustrated and they're being disrespected. And first, if this wouldn't happen, if the way that this country operates, you know, the provinces go and talk, they take the Prime Minister and they go and talk. It's happening again next week. They always leave out First Nations people, They always leave out Indigenous people and Indigenous voices, and so, like I said, if they you know, we want to move forward to in this country. First Nations want to move forward. But you can't do that without having those voices at the table and thinking we know what's best. That hasn't worked for one hundred and fifty years, it's not going to work for the next one hundred and fifty years. So let's let's get down to business. Let's asked this country, are you really ready and are you really ready to make space at your table to make sure that the rights holders are at that table.
Speaker 15: A gym, I mean, I'd never get a standing ovation. That's fantastic. Just soak it in, mister Sutcliffe. MESSI Mark. You know this. Mark Sutcliffe, a man for whom life is both a marathon and a sprint forty eight marathons as of last weekend, running the Ottawa Marathon again. I tell you the one time I ran the Ottawa Marathon, I was still on an IV drip on the friday.
Speaker 5: Mark's bouncing around building a better city.
Speaker 15: I would like to and I want to underscore something where Mark started. You know, I am the proud member of Parliament for an Nepean and open come on, let's come on everybody else. No, but and it's and it's one of our strengths of our system, of our parliamentary system, is that all three hundred and forty three Members of Parliament have the honor of serving their constituencies. In other words, they are grounded in their communities. And if you're grounded in your community, the issues that you are facing, the issues that you tackle every day, are front and center. And so it should be front and center in all of our minds, from the newly minted MPs to the Prime Minister to the senators. What can we do to build stronger cities, stronger communities, safer communities.
Speaker 5: And I want to say a few words on that today and then we'll have a Q and A.
Speaker 15: I do want to thank Rebecca and Carol for the kind invitation today, particularly Rebecca because she's.
Speaker 5: Going to ask me questions in a moment.
Speaker 15: And I would like to thank each and every one of the municipal leaders here today for the work that you are doing to build stronger communities across our great country. Our collaboration, collaboration between the federal government and municipalities, all municipalities, is more important than ever. As we are at a hinge moment in Canada's history. It is a more dangerous and divided world. Unfortunately, geopolitical risks are rising and they are threatening our sovereignty. The global trading system, which has helped power Canada's prosperity for decades, is undergoing the biggest transformation since the fall of the Berlin Wall, and closer to home, our long standing weak productivity is beginning to strain government finances. It's certainly making life less affordable for Canadian families, and it's threatening to undermine the vital social programs, including childcare, on which Canadians rely. It's very important, it's all They're welcome here at the FAAM is good.
Speaker 5: Canada's.
Speaker 15: Canada's new government will address these challenges head on, head on with focus, determination and innovation, and that innovation goes straight to our partnership because much of that response to those global challenges, the response to global challenges begins right here at home, in our municipalities, where together we can build a stronger, safer Canada.
Speaker 5: Ilo illmois ven.
Speaker 15: Impotence, capital, celt and Simidon.
Speaker 5: It comes a mages de la foi.
Speaker 15: Lu lapo stement is o opportunity exceptionelle an opportunity de junvo an opportunity, an opportunity.
Speaker 5: To lecon gel mon.
Speaker 15: John, your leadership and fundamentally, our partnership will be vital to turning those opportunities into realities in Canada's new government will be a reliable partner to Canada's municipalities on a wide.
Speaker 5: Range of issues, a wide range of issues. But I'm going to.
Speaker 15: Okay, I want to focus my brief remarks. I've been told to be brief. It's a bit late for that, but I want to focus on three specifics, starting with housing, and in response to the housing crisis that we all know has been eroding Canadian standards of living, the federal government is acting to improve affordability in the short, medium and long term. The new vague given amount in Canada she de fasson media on coupon l susel a in it's me million sasse o cult sjuabes dampol and quivape meto diconesca.
Speaker 5: With Saint can do la bani. But that's short term. What are we doing in the medium long term?
Speaker 15: We will create Build Canada Homes, a lean, mission driven organization that will accelerate the development of deeply affordable housing projects that will catalyze an entirely new housing industry based on Canadian technology.
Speaker 5: Canadian workers and Canadian Lumber.
Speaker 15: And will provide twenty five billion dollars in financing for affordable home builders. In parallel, we will work above and beyond that. We will work with you to slash development charges in half in half for all multi unit housing over the next five years, alongside the provinces and territories well making crucial point well making municipalities whole through federal investments in water, power lines, and wastewater.
Speaker 5: We're not no, these things cost money. We're not going to give lectures.
Speaker 15: We're going to give help and assistance so we can all move forward. And in parallel, we're going to take a pragmatic approach by doubling down on what's already working. I know from meeting with mayors across the country in recent months that many of you have already signed on. I know I didn't meet with all the mayors we've signed on, but many of you signed on to the Housing Accelerator Fund, which is unlocking tens of thousands of new homes across the countries. So because we listen, we will reinforce the Housing Accelerator Fund, and we're taking these measures and more at scale, at scale, because we recognize that business as usual just won't work. That young Canadians can't wait any longer to have the same opportunities to own a home that previous generations such as mine enjoyed. Now, those opportunities for young Canadians must include great careers in the strongest economy in the.
Speaker 5: And that's why that's the key. That's the key to affordability.
Speaker 15: We can do supply, but we also need the great careers and the incomes that come from that. So in face of foreign threats, no prize for guessing. You know, I'm saying, I'm trying to learn some diplomacy from the King. The face of foreign threats, a core priority of this government is to build projects of national significance. Projects that reinforce our country's resilience, Projects that connect Canada, project.
Speaker 5: Projects that partner.
Speaker 15: With Indigenous peoples, that diversify our trading partners and create.
Speaker 5: A more sustainable future for all. De Plage comes.
Speaker 15: Vites on windsor k Yeah, old infrastructure commercial.
Speaker 5: Or diverse.
Speaker 15: If no pattern area commercial or create the bond carrier a poll SAT FEB productivity te key to feel on pesh economy Canadian That then so plan.
Speaker 4: As a f.
Speaker 1: Show has been produced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at depictions dot media for more information.