Speaker 1: Oh, everybody, welcome Jumi Buckeye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaman here as always with Tom or Tom, how's it going, Tony?
Speaker 2: Time for another one of your patented overreaction shows where we talk about the offense and then Tony tells us whether Ohio State should just cancel the season because they're just gonna go oh to twelve, or whether the rest of the college football world should cancel the season because Ohio State is an unstoppable sixteen and oh juggernaut that can be stopped. Tony, which one is it? Or do we need to let people wait till the end of the show.
Speaker 1: We can go right now eighteen and zero. Good night, everybody.
Speaker 2: So take that Mercury Morris.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pop that champagne. Tom. We did a show where I over reacted to the first two days seeing the defense. Now this show is probably gonna air after day three, but it's still just based on the first two days. And one of the things that I'm going to overreact. The fun stuff is the stuff that I'm overreacting to. You're gonna downplay but then see it and have to apologize for downplaying it. So I like the timing of this one. The juxtaposition of timing and opinions and overreactions, under reactions and then the media culpa coming from you or the ua culpa. I guess it would be, and it's gonna be fascinating theater.
Speaker 2: I like the idea that this is theater because as you were saying that, I was thinking of like those, you know, the theater masks that they have where it's like the one is the laughing face and the one is the sad face, and it's like doing the YouTuber face with me with one side is looking ah, one side of his meeting hmmmm. And that's me overreacting or underreacting to your overreactions, whether I was correct or you were correct.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for giving me the image for the thumbnail. My first overreaction is Tom, I think Isaiah West is going for a thousand yards this year. Now. He was running with the ones on Friday practice too, who knows what he's gonna be doing practice three or whatever. But not just because he's running with the ones, he looks really really sharp, really really fast, big nimble. Now you're gonna say, but Tony, there's no tackling and there's no pads and I will say that's your opinion, but I will also remind people you had them at like seven hundred and fifty or eight hundred yards this season. So do you even think this is an overreaction? At this point?
Speaker 2: I simultaneously think that we don't have enough information to make any kind of real material change to our baseline expectations for this season, because, as you correctly mentioned and then try to disprove later, there is no tackling and there is no pads, and you know, the camp setting and the early you know, the June camp setting where you're not tackling guys to the ground, or the early fall camp setting where you're not tackling guys the ground is a notoriously difficult time to evaluate running backs. That being said, we've had people on our board for basically since we launched sort of saying like, Okay, what's the deal with Isaiah West? Why do you guys keep talking about Isaiah West? And it's like, because people keep talking to us about Isaiah. The people in the building keep talking to us about Isaiah West, and that, yeah, bo Jackson had a great freshman season. They're big expectations for Bo Jackson, but Isaiah West, and my general trend on all of these is I will probably I generally tend to be a little on the low side with some of the projections because it's like, this is the time of year that everyone goes, Yeah, everyone's gonna throw for five thousand yards and run for three thousand yards, and the receivers are all gonna have two thousand yards and they're all going to score fifty seven touchdowns and it's gonna be the best yearbook ever. And it's like, that's not typically how these seasons work. There are gonna be some people who exceed your expectations and some who don't. Isay it was to someone I am firmly prepared to have exceed my expectations this year, and he's someone who I already have expectations that are probably out of alignment with what we saw on the field last year. And that's just again based on what we keep hearing about him.
Speaker 1: We talked about it about it, I think a day or so ago on the buck Einsider's message board, which if you want to talk to Iowa State Football, we're doing it there all the time. Great community, a not a hostile community. I will also say, but The question was posed, like what percent chance do you give Isaiah West to lead the team in rushing? And I said, you know, this is after practice one. I'm like thirty leaving today. It's not thirty anymore. It's more than that. I'm not saying it's fifty to fifty. But the the idea of a Trevon Henderson quinch On Judkins thing. Now, don't talk to Carlos Loughlan about that saying hey, do you have another one two punch, because he will remind you I got this guy, I got that guy. I got this guy. I got that guy. There's no one two, there's one, two, three, four five. So don't even if you see him if you're at practice one of these days, don't even mention it to him. But the idea that you've got these two guys. Either one could lead the team into rushing any particular day. One could start any particular day. But the thing that I've been saying to Juck these last few days as well and to you as well, I think it's not necessarily who leads the team in rushing that is the thing to make the most note of. It's who leads and carries that's the guy that is, I think that's the real separator. If somebody has to do it, That was quin Shawn Judkins in twenty twenty four. They both went for a thousand yards. I don't think you could say what Travian Henderson did was taking a back seat.
Speaker 2: No, no, Travian Henderson. I mean you go back through the absolute highlights of that year, and Travian Henderson was a big part of a whole lot of them. You know, he had that long touchdown against Oregon, he had the long touchdown on the screen against Texas, and then Quenchewn Judkins he had his big day in the National Championship game. Like that is That is a year where you cannot tell the story of that year, even just that postseason run without those two guys. Those two guys were crucial, huge parts of both of those get you know, all three of those games during that run, you know, not even include the Tennessee game, And I think Trayveon had a touchdown in the Tennessee game too, if I remember correctly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like thirty yards or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you know, you can't tell the story of that run to the National Championship without either of those guys, and I think it's going to be probably something similar to this. This was I think there was a separate thread about this a couple of days ago on the UH on the board at Buckeye Insiders dot com and someone asked, you know, the percent chance that Isaiah West starts game one? And I said, I don't really care who starts game one, but the percent chance that he has more carries in game one, I think, or more yards in game one. I think I was at about thirty five maybe forty percent at that point, and I nothing has happened since then to dissuade me from you know, having that number sort of stay where it is, or you know, maybe tick up a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Tom My second overreaction here and brace yourself, buckle in. I think Ohire's State has a second first round pick to go along with Jeremiah Smith right now, and his name is Devin McEwen. And we did our Devin McEuen expectation shows, or we're talked about other receivers and we're like, you know, maybe just you've got like three or four guys that are gonna between like twenty five and thirty five receptions including him, and I'd have to go through my back in my notebook to find all of the projections. But what I have seen these first two days has been all of the spring practices that we've talked about with Jackson Smith and Jigbat and Jeremiah Smith and Garrett Wilson, just like lighting everybody up, catching everything, doing all kinds of insane stuff. That's what Devin McEwen has done the first days. The first day he looked good. Second day he looked incredible. And he's making contested catch over the middle. He's making contested catches in the end zone. He's getting open. He had one catch where he's going over the middle and goes way up high for it. He's six foot but he went up and got it, immediately evaded attacker with a spin move, and then kicked it into gear. And it was like, if that's Garrett Wilson or Chris O Lave or Jackson Smith and Jigbtes, I believe it because they've done those same things. And so I am way, way way in on Devin McEwan. Been you shoot a thousand yarder, Like, I'm not saying he's sixteen hundred or whatever. I'm just saying, based on what I've seen these first few days, if I'm going to be asked asked to overreact, Jeremiah Smith has a running mate.
Speaker 2: So if Devin McEwen gets a thousand yards receiving this season, and Devin McEwan is a first round or first round to Jason Wide receiver in the NFL Draft top forty five fifty picks, whatever somewhere in that ring, what does that mean for the Ohio State offense this year?
Speaker 1: Boy, that means feels like that was like one.
Speaker 2: Of our big questions is who else is there? And I'm not you know, without having seen it, I'm I'm pumping the brakes on this one a little bit. But what does that mean for the offense if he is playing at that.
Speaker 1: Level with because some of the stuff is coming out of the play action and there's no safety over the top to help, so it's like he's getting open one on one routinely. He's also finding the open zones and if that continues with an improved running game, I the schedule is still going to be very difficult, though, So you give them last year's schedule and you can start being talking all of these grandiose things. But if he can be that guy, then this offense really, what's the weakness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's kind of my question because going into even over the summer, that was kind of my big lingering question mark with the offense was I think the offensive line they're gonna figure it out. I think Julian Saying's gonna be better. I think the running backs are going to be better. I think the tight ends are gonna be perfectly fine. You know what Jeremiah Smith is, and it's just you gotta find one more guy who is you know, you're not looking for another Jeremiah Smith. You're looking for another guy who can at least make opponents have someone else they got to worry about in the passing game other than Jeremiah Smith. If you can check that box, then it's like you're really you're you're really getting down to, you know, complaints about the you know, the temperature of your wine fridge on your yacht, Like, I mean, yeah, that's a problem, but I mean that's not really as far as problems go, that's not really too bad. If you could if you have another wide receiver who is in that thousand yard top round two rounds of the NFL Draft. Kind of conversation. Boy, that that checks one of the big big boxes that I have kind of open right now for the offense. And again Tony's saying, this kind of want to see it. I want to see it on Saturday. But go back to the intro of the show when Tony's saying, you know this is gonna get released by the time you hear this, I may already be on board. I don't know. I'm just I'm just I'm being the voice of reason here once again saying I kind of want to see it. But but but I have heard, I have heard the tales, Tony from those who have been there, that that there may be there may be some some happenings afoot there. And the at the easy.
Speaker 1: Position, I did like how you tried to slip in the voice of reason once again the second time. Ever, once again, I mean, technically you're.
Speaker 2: Correct, but that's the best kind of correct to be. Go on, what's your third one?
Speaker 1: Well, let me just finish on the first round.
Speaker 2: Thing.
Speaker 1: People are saying, well, he's too small this and that he's listened to six foot one ninety five over the last five years, twenty six wide receivers have been drafted in the first round. The average height six foot and a half, the average weight one hundred ninety seven pounds.
Speaker 2: So if he can just throw a half an inch and two pounds.
Speaker 1: Right and if you grow the right pounds, you got the inch right there. I will also say eleven guys six foot and under of those twenty six have been first rounder. So definitely, Now this is way out with this is way overreacting, because I know if he ends up like sixteen catches this year, this show will be deleted from the internet. It'll be the only thing that will ever be able to remove from the Internet. But he's been he's been really really good these first two days. Last thing, I think the tight ends this year is going to be better than the tight ends last year. And that's true, Like we're not seeing anybody get mulled in the running game, but it just they've got they know, they played five different guys running with the ones on day two, and I know the old saying, if you've got five tight ends, you ain't got one. But they are they're deep. I asked Nate Roberts if he thinks they could be deeper this year, you think, He said, yeah, this year than last year. He said, he thinks they will be. I said, are you more versatile? He's like, oh yeah, this group is way more versatile than it was last year. So I think there's some different things that you can do with that. Arthur Smith and and Ryan Day and Keenan Bailey and all those guys can do. So I don't even know how much of an overreaction that says, although you did have two NFL draft picks at tight end last.
Speaker 2: Year, yeah, they had. That was and that's that's a really like an outlier tight end class to have two guys drafted off your team as tight ends one season. So that this is another one where I'm a believer in the tight ends this year. And I think, you know, Nate Roberts is the guy that I am expecting to take a big, big step this year. I saw that Hunter Wilson was named to the Mackie Award watch list, and I thought, do they know something or are they just sort of looking and going, Well, he did some stuff at Northwestern and now he's playing at a school that's on TV in bigger places, so maybe yeah, that's he's a guy who has not been able to stay healthy when he was on the field last year. We saw him against Michigan. He had four catches for eighty something yards against Michigan in that game they played at Wrigley Field last year. And you watch that, you're like, man, if he could do this every game, then yeah, the then he'd be a thousand yard receiver at tight end. Now has he done that every game?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: In fact, that was his career high so and this is his seventh season of college football, so you kind of want to see it on an assistant basis, And I he didn't do a ton this spring, but the passing game on the whole of the spring was a little wonky and a little just a little just kind of rickety at times, which that happens in the spring. That was one of the things that we were telling you don't overreact to the fact that the passing game looks a little wonky in the spring, because the passing game always looks a little wonky in the spring. This is one where I want to see it. Was there anything that you've seen in terms of Welsing or Mason Williams or Nate Roberts or any of the other guys that jumped out to you just from the on field portion of it.
Speaker 1: Well, and here's the thing. As I'm going through my notes, and I take all kinds of notes as I'm watching these practices, and I throw them on the Buckeyinsider's message board. So if you want to see them, become a member and you'll see all of this stuff. But as I'm going through there, it's just like eighty six with a nice catch, eighty four with a good grab in traffic, eighty three with the ones, and it's just like, oh, yeah, yeah, I remember that, and that's why you take notes, folks. But yeah, like they're making they're making catches now, no catch and run necessarily at this point, but they're catching the ball over the middle in traffic and getting tackled or tapped or whatever. And first down, move the chains. That's all you need really And then what the running backs are looking good, So I think it's okay to give the tight ends some credit there as well. And you know, they're running under center quite a bit at this point, and they're they're showing the physicality that is necessary. And maybe I'm the only person in this year of the tight end that thinks the tight ends are going to be okay, But yeah, just going through my notes, it's like, oh, yeah, he had that, and he did that, and he did that, so yeah, they're they've been making some plays all right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, okay, I will keep an eye on that on Saturday and see. I am expecting some good production out of the tight ends this year and some of the some of that is really some of the the tight end production may be dialed back a little bit if they do have two really good wide receivers and you do have two really good running backs, because then you get into a situation where, well, if you've got two thousand yard running backs as you just sort of more or less said they were going to have, and you have two thousand yard wide receivers as you more or less just said they would have, there's only so many snaps and so many passes and so many receptions to go around with the rest of the team. But that would be I am expecting whatever opportunities the tight ends have this year for them to be able to take advantage of them to whatever, you know, whatever, to red they're available.
Speaker 1: Even Brody Lennon had like a twenty five yard touchdown down the seam, running with the twos, threes and ones, and they're just rotating. So those are my overreactions. Look if all of these are crazy, like, I'm not doing this for me. Unless I get it right, then I'm like, yeah, look what I did. I'm mainly doing this for the people to have an idea of basically what players to get mad at when they don't live up to the to the to the the expectations. So I apologize for feeding into the fear. That was not my intent. I was just wanting to talk about some guys I had watched and thought, you know what, I think there's a possibility here. So forgive me for thinking players, the student athletes today have possibilities. Am I wrong for that? If I'm wrong for that, then I don't want to be right. What I would like for everybody else to do is hit that thumbs up, subscribe to the Channel five star rating interview on the audio side, and of course, as we've been saying, come and find us at Buckey Insiders dot com, would absolutely love to see you there. That will do it from here. Next time you'll see this will be a practice again. So subscribe to the channel. Subscribe to buck Eye Insiders and we will see you all at those places. Thank you all for tuning in and we will talk to you guys later.
Speaker 3: Happen this time? What about you rushing through a way? Don't no one tell me I wish it never then?
Speaker 2: Nothing where.
Speaker 3: Where my fa. If you can tell me that's a boy, it's all right. We could stee currently that