Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday grind, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure, want to get away from it all. We offer you.
Speaker 2: Escape, Escape designed to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are one of four people trapped in an isolated trading post somewhere in the Yukon Territory, the blizzard outside making escape impossible, and you know that before the spring thaws release you, before you can leave this cabin behind you, one of your companions, by consent.
Speaker 3: Of the others, will be killed.
Speaker 2: Listen now, as escape brings you less Crutchfield Story Judgment Day at Crippled Deer.
Speaker 3: I think it most unlikely that you ever heard of Crippled Deer crossing. You would have great difficulty locating it on a map, even though that you can, for the most part, is vast and empty. Crippled Deer is a trading post, one sprawling pine log building, nothing more. But it's been my home and my business for twenty years now, and in the course of time I have grown fond of it, even grown fund of the bitter cruelty of the Great North. Yes, fan, two of the long winters, snow bound dark, when the trappers and miners have all gone outside, and we waved along for the coming of spring. But of one such winter I am not fund I still wake at times from dreaming of it, lie shuddering and fearful in the darkness that was the winter of the black snow, when the horror came moaning on the wind, and no man could look in another's eyes without shame and loathing and hate.
Speaker 4: Listen, Leclair, listen to it. I know that sound, and the gray skies and the black on the west. It's gonna hit it before tomorrow morning.
Speaker 3: Oh it's close, all right. What do you think, Joe, many will track in snow last night much, Honey, they're now asleep. I think maybe one day, maybe too then big.
Speaker 4: Blizzard come all right, two days then that's still cutting too close to be here by.
Speaker 3: Now, real anxious age. You just cared wed.
Speaker 5: Honey wants smart good God that we ain't got You wouldn't know you would, though, wouldn't, just sweetheart.
Speaker 4: At least he's got a civil tongue in his head, and he's also got a lot of things you'd give your right arm for, Higgins. He knows how to laugh and live and how to make other people laugh and live.
Speaker 3: Oh, that he does.
Speaker 4: And he knows how to trade a woman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any woman the way I hear it.
Speaker 4: You shut that mouth of yours right now. I'll make you wish I had.
Speaker 3: You will have Higgins in a day or two, not a blizzard comes close the trails and we hear. Then all of us together the rest of the winter here this one building. No way to get out. I'll tell you once and for all, I will not have this kind of feeling.
Speaker 4: Then let him shut up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tiggts Yoe, that's enough, Higgins. He's got a right to be worried. I worried myself. Marcom Blake, you don't have enough grub up there. It snowed into that mind that can possibly last out the winter, and that blizzard is close. Should have come down by now. It was just funny.
Speaker 4: Had a clad Sorry Belle, and watch what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Don't worry. They'll make it all right.
Speaker 5: Why mark O Moore knows more about this country in the weather than most people.
Speaker 3: No talk you sound, what is it? Joe? Don't keep sled coming?
Speaker 4: Marca must be mark On Blake were binoculars.
Speaker 3: Maybe we can side them when they come through the gap.
Speaker 4: Huh Higgins, help me open the window.
Speaker 3: Might not be them, Bell could be Robertson, not him.
Speaker 4: He's too smart of money to get snowed in. And this far from Dawson. Come on, push all right.
Speaker 3: Here, let me see now it's nearly too dark to Hey, there's a sled all right coming out of the gap.
Speaker 4: It's them. It is them, isn't it.
Speaker 3: You can't quite make No, no, it's only one man a money. No, no, not Robertson. It it's Blakey, but Marco is not with him. Blakey coming in alone, alone to partner goal one come back, very bad. No, no, no, shut up, Joe, don't pay an attention to him. Bell. Marco is all right.
Speaker 4: He better be, for Blakey's sake, he'd better be.
Speaker 3: I know they've been partners three seasons now. Bell, there's no reason to think anything is wrong. You look, dog, keep lead dog, Marco's dog.
Speaker 5: He's right, he's that big husky with a white star. Marco got him two years ago.
Speaker 3: Bring up the d.
Speaker 6: I just don't know political sun Chane started for a betted care and maybe a glass of two A rye whiskey, Blakey, well leclear uglier never Indy and Joe.
Speaker 7: What are you having the tribe? Huh oh, Higgins, look at that paunch and bell. H sweet eyed you make up for all gorgeous Blakey.
Speaker 4: Where's Marco?
Speaker 3: Marcall? Oh? Ain't he here yet? Should he be? Well?
Speaker 7: He pulled out a few days before I did. I stayed until yesterday working the claim of course he uh, he might have stopped off someplace.
Speaker 4: Where stopped off where?
Speaker 7: Well? Maybe maybe at Jackson River, the factory, the post. Say's got a pair of mighty pretty daughter's bell.
Speaker 3: You better get your dogs out of heart as blaking, get your stuff inside. That may stop snowing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it looks like it's building up a good one, say blake He that lead dog there, he's new? I need why I guess you could call it that. That's Marco's dog. Marco traded with me. He he figured I'd be running closer to the storm, so I need a better lead.
Speaker 3: Dog than he would.
Speaker 7: So he uh, he traded with me.
Speaker 3: I see you see what what's.
Speaker 7: This all about? You act like it's a matter of life and death.
Speaker 3: The four of us talk it over well, Blakey was unpacking his slip. He didn't add up. We agreed on that, at least it didn't add up the way Blakey was claiming. He was a born liar. We knew that, and Marco should have been at the trading post by now, even if he had stopped off at Jackson River. Oh, when blake came in, we ate, and then we waited some more. Still no sound of another dog, slip or Marco.
Speaker 7: Wind seems to be slacking off something, eh, Blauzard ain't far off. Wind always slacks off?
Speaker 3: First?
Speaker 7: Who's your game of pinnockle? What's the matter with all of you? You ain't spoke one decent word to me since I got here. Anybody think I was a wolf that sneaked in out of the woods or something? Well, why don't somebody say something?
Speaker 3: How did you get that bruise under your eye? Blaky? How'd you get that bruise?
Speaker 7: You sit around and stare at me for a couple of hours. Not the only thing you can think of to say is how'd you get that bruise?
Speaker 3: What happened? Did you get in a fight with somebody?
Speaker 7: I got the bruise from a rock, but how I was working in the tunnel. We drove some rock fell out of the roof and a piece of it hit me. That's how I got it.
Speaker 4: You're lion.
Speaker 7: What's the matter with you?
Speaker 4: Bell your lion? I said, you fought with Marco? That's how you got it.
Speaker 7: I ain't fought with no buddy. Why would I fight with him? We was partnering, was Blakey?
Speaker 3: I mean, are we still are? Why did you fight about Blakey? Nothing?
Speaker 7: We didn't fight about nothing.
Speaker 3: We've gotta have some reason, blake Your partners don't start fighting over nothing.
Speaker 7: I mean, we wasn't fighting. Look, I don't know why Marco in herein his mother. Maybe he changed his mind. He said he was gonna be here. That's all I know about.
Speaker 4: And why isn't he he left before you did? You said so yourself, Where is he?
Speaker 7: Blaky?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: What's the matter with all of you? You think I kill him or something?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What that right? Blakey? We think maybe you killed him?
Speaker 7: Oh, come off of it. You're out of your mind. You're kidding, that's what it is. A joke, huh me killing old Marco? That's a laugh for you.
Speaker 3: You're gonna tell us about it? Huh about what?
Speaker 7: There ain't nothing to tell now. Look, if I had done something, why would I come straight here where you're all frenzy, is where you're expecting him.
Speaker 3: Where else would you go? Well?
Speaker 7: The Jackson River, They don't have room to put a man up, all right. I could add for Dawson, or south to white.
Speaker 3: Horse Storm too close. No time here, only place, all right?
Speaker 7: Answer me one thing? Why why do you think I'd kill him?
Speaker 4: Show him Leclair?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this might be the reason, Blakey, you've.
Speaker 7: Been going through my stuff?
Speaker 3: You got no right we did it anyway? No, what about this?
Speaker 7: I was gonna tell you about that. I figured i'd wait and make it a kind of surprise surprise.
Speaker 3: It's rich quartz.
Speaker 5: Blakey must opened up quite a pocket.
Speaker 7: It's the richest load between here and Mackenzie Bank, not rich enough for two. Marcot didn't even know about it. I stumbled on to it after he'd already left. That's why I was keeping it.
Speaker 3: For a surprise.
Speaker 4: These two, Blakie, are you keeping these for a surprise? I gave him those gloves and that right in Tabot, and I knitted that pair of socks last winter.
Speaker 7: Well, he told me to pack up anything he'd missed bring it along.
Speaker 3: That proves he was figuring to come here.
Speaker 7: Why, well, look, I know you're worried about Marco and all. Oh, yes, but you think in the wrong way. All of you, you're whole, you're all wrong. You're mixed up.
Speaker 5: You're saying you didn't kill Marco, but you ain't saying it.
Speaker 3: Very good, Joe, show him what you'll follow the slip.
Speaker 7: You've got no right to boto my things.
Speaker 3: This that's your knife, Blakie.
Speaker 7: It was a fox. I shot it on the trail, skinned it for the dogs. That's how the blood got on it.
Speaker 3: You skinned fox? What you do with skin?
Speaker 7: I left it. I'm a miner, not a trapper. I don't know anything about skins. Now, look the whole bunch of you. I'm getting fed up with this questions accusing me. What do you think you are?
Speaker 3: A quart of some kind?
Speaker 7: I don't have to answer anything.
Speaker 3: I ain't on trial.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna turn it.
Speaker 3: Next morning, the barometer dropped again, and we knew that blizzard would hit any minute. All that day we sat huddled around at wood stove, not talking, just thinking about Marco and Blakey, and just after dog Blakey went outside to settle his dog team. By the time he came back in, we decided, what are you all staring at, Blaking. We're going to give you a trial, a trial for what jury of your peers. That's the only law we got. That's all we likely to have till spring. Robertson bypassed as he got on through the Dawson to be the Blizzard. It's just you and us, Blaking. You're crazy. You ain't a law. If you got anything to say in your own defense, any explanation, I ain't.
Speaker 7: Doing no more talking. You can't do nothing to.
Speaker 3: Me whatever you say, Blaking, let's vote.
Speaker 4: Get it over with.
Speaker 5: If they won't talk, there ain't no use asking them anything else. I say, he killed Marco?
Speaker 3: One vote guilty.
Speaker 4: Two, of course he did it.
Speaker 3: Joe, he killed that's three guilty and mine makes four. That's unanimous, Blaking, And just what are you aim to do about it? Well, we got to decide.
Speaker 7: Well, I'll decide for you. You ain't gonna do nothing.
Speaker 3: And you know why, because of this grab him should do none.
Speaker 7: Of you move. Looks a little different now, d it down Blake.
Speaker 3: That rifle won't get you out of this.
Speaker 7: It won't. Huh, Well, I'd say it's made some changes already.
Speaker 3: Four to one.
Speaker 7: You felt bity big, didn't you?
Speaker 3: Well? How do you feel now?
Speaker 5: Things is kind of even up a little lengthy. You can't hold us at gun point all winter.
Speaker 7: I ain't figuring too. I'm getting out of here, and none of you better try.
Speaker 3: To stop me. Where are you planning to go?
Speaker 7: That's my business? But I sure ain't gonna stay around here no longer.
Speaker 3: All of you stay right where you are. He's crazy. Where could he get to? No worse? Maybe, but he ain't thought that far. All he knows right now is you're gonna get away.
Speaker 4: Well, what are you gonna do about it?
Speaker 3: Get your rifles? We go after him.
Speaker 2: You are listening to Judgment Day at Crippled Deer Tonight's presentation of Escape Saturday night on CBS Radio's thrilling Western series called gun Smoke. Meet United States Marshal Matt Dillon. Marshall Dillon faces another problem this Saturday, a problem as real and vital as the Old West itself, and justice full of action as well. Don't miss the exciting unusual drama on CBS Radio's gun Smoke Saturday Night on most of these stations. And now Escape and the second act of Judgment Day at Triple Deer.
Speaker 3: Tracking down a fellow man is not a pleasant theme, even though he's crazed with fear. But there was no choice. The four over stood a moment longer, looking at the door that had slammed up behind Blakey, and then ready, yeah, yeah, let's get it over with.
Speaker 4: Come on, don't let him get away.
Speaker 3: Joel, you're sick. Can you pick up his trail? He couldn't have got far. He ain't had enough time. Here we tracked start here. Come. It's pitch dark to me. How can you see any tracks? B see? Come? He seemed to be heading back on the trail on foot without even snow shoes. He's hot of his mind, guilt and fear. They do funny things to him.
Speaker 5: Man, leave trail, now, turn this way into the woods.
Speaker 3: Come roun get away from them.
Speaker 5: That's all he could thing about there in the cabin, crazy, clean out of his senses.
Speaker 3: God, stay away from it. He's hold up in that storage shed up on the creek bank. I saw the flash. Why don't We leave him there, Let him get snowed in, let him stile. No, no, When a man begins to start, it gets dangerous. He has that rifle and there's a whole case ammunition in the shed. You could hang around the cabin and pick us off one of the time. Meg me bring him the thing you can slip up on him. Joe, you talk, shoot guns, make noise, I go blaky.
Speaker 8: Get out of here, go back to the pole.
Speaker 3: Maybe this will shake him up a little. You're wasting your time. I got covered away. Turny murderer. I'll blast him out of there, and that's the last thing you might hit the Indian.
Speaker 8: Why don't you tell us about it? Blakey, about Marco? Get it off chat? Why did you bury him? I didn't bury nobody kill me. You're left him for the walls.
Speaker 7: You don't stop saying that I'll get every last one.
Speaker 4: Have you ever part?
Speaker 3: Hey, Joe must have got inside.
Speaker 6: You'll come now, everything all like, oh trouble, you'll come.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go get him. We dragged him back to the post. We tied his hands together behind his back and locked him in one of the bunk rooms. Then we said the four of us. We didn't say much, not looking at one another, knowing what we had to decide, putting it off as long as we could. And then it was Bell, who had been in love with Marco and was ready enough to go to pieces any minute, finally brought it out in the open.
Speaker 4: We can't sit here and put it off all winter. We gotta decide what we're gonna do. Get it over with.
Speaker 3: I suppose you're right.
Speaker 4: I know I'm right. What's the matter with all of you? What are you afraid of?
Speaker 3: It's a big responsibility Bell, not from me.
Speaker 4: Maybe you can feel sympathy for him, but I don't. He don't even count A hundred of him would make up from Marco.
Speaker 5: Perhaps you're right, Bell, but what I was thinking starm ain't hit yet. And as long as there's a chance Robertson will still come, well, maybe we ought to wait and leave it to him. After all, he's a lord, his job.
Speaker 3: No come now, Blizzard too close. You go very fast to Dawson, Go on spend winter here. Joe is right. We can't figure on turning Blackie over to the police. Robertson's already probably in Dawson, and we can't try to keep him prison and clear through the winter. I guess we all agree on that.
Speaker 4: You know what I agree on?
Speaker 3: Oh, I guess we better make up. Oh mine's made up now you know that? Yes, I know that battle love. My people say man who killed friend must die always. I don't know Lea Claire.
Speaker 5: Telling a man in a fight or a battle when you're a crazy man, that's one thing. But doing it in cold blood like this, well, they ain't easy to face it.
Speaker 3: It ain't the same. I guess we all feel that way about it. None of us want to do it. Looks to me like we don't have much choice.
Speaker 4: We don't and the sooner the better.
Speaker 3: I don't know, the mount he might still come.
Speaker 4: Make up your mind, Higgins, if you're afraid say so, Well, I ain't that you agree with the rest of us, then, don't you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I agree. Well it's settled. Then we might as well get it over with him. How were we here thinking to do it? Leclaire? Wha hanging? That's the usual way. I guess that roofbole outside the front of the cabin. We could take him up on the roof and tie the under the rope to that pole, and then and then make him step off. How much of a fall does it take? I only seen it done once down in the States.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't do there, hadn't go wrong, no call from the suffer anymore.
Speaker 3: And that's no. We're do careful. We plan it all.
Speaker 4: Out, not talking about it, and do it, do it and get it over with.
Speaker 3: We're gone to get on with it. Joe, get a ladder up against the eaves out there on Higgins and me. We cut a piece of rope. Good, No, I guess we better tell him.
Speaker 4: M hm, hang me.
Speaker 9: You've decided to hang me, Ray, You don't even know what you're saying. People don't sit down and decide they're gonna hang somebody and expect to get away with it. You can't take the law into your own hands.
Speaker 5: You're just making it harder for us, blakely harder for you.
Speaker 7: I'll make it harder for you when Robertson shows up.
Speaker 3: Robertson ain't gonna show up.
Speaker 7: You're out of your mind.
Speaker 5: We're gonna have to drag you, Blakey, You'll drag nobody.
Speaker 3: I'll walk.
Speaker 7: See just how far you're planning to go with this?
Speaker 3: All right, we go out through the main room.
Speaker 7: Bell bell, you know what they're figuring to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll do something. Stop them.
Speaker 7: You're a woman, bal you're different.
Speaker 4: I wish there were ten of you, Blakie, so they can hang you ten times instead of once. Get him out of here, take him out and get it over with.
Speaker 7: Come on, she's crazier than the rest of you. It's all crazy. It's like an right.
Speaker 5: Man, watch your step Leclaire. I crust his freezing. It's slicky, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like it ain't real. It really happened, not to me anyway. You know that winder's got down. Some always does just before the blizzard hits. All right, Blakey, climb up on the roof, roof, Yeah, and you climb the ladder. You want us to help you?
Speaker 7: I can climb.
Speaker 3: You go up there by the ridgeport, Blakey, up there where Joe is standing.
Speaker 5: They better let me help you. A lot of snow on the roof. It easy with your hands tied that way.
Speaker 3: Already roof tied everything ready? Oh well, but as well we get on with it. Huh. Maybe you better tie it around his neck maclaire. Huh, you've seen it done one. It's like I can remember Blakey, come stand closer to the edge. Uh, careful, Claire Stark, don't slick. That's fine right there.
Speaker 7: Now, it's a joke, that's what you jen. Just trying to scare me so we can laugh about it. A real good joke, that's very funny.
Speaker 3: Looks like we're ready. Oh you got any last words, Blaki, I guess you better say them though. You jump now, Joe jump, stop pushing. We went inside. We left him swinging their figure to take him down, and they let him bury him. I opened up our love Brandy, and we drank some fast in Gobs. We needed it because it wasn't easy to do it, not in cold blood that way. It didn't change much either when we stopped to think about it. Didn't bring Marco back to life killing Blakey. Even Belle, who was crazy for revenge, was feeling sick. Then we got to thinking about Robertson too, how he never missed upping by before on his last trip out to Dawsum. And then Joe heard it. Here dogs slim, come Robertson. I told you, I told you. We want to wait. Now we're in free we.
Speaker 4: Gotta do something. We gotta think of something to tell him, make up a story.
Speaker 3: Well with bleak, he's tell hanging out there, what story something. All we can do is tell him the truth and hope he sees it the way we did. He's an old timer in the North. He'll understand.
Speaker 4: We'll make him understand. He'll be snowed in with us here, all us together for the rest of the winner will make him understand we did right.
Speaker 3: At least we know it. I think he will.
Speaker 10: Got a steak and drink from a hungry man. Well, Michael, Michael, Why all the surprise? I promised Jed be here, didn't I bell stopped over a couple of days in Jackson River, danger, got snowed in, excited Blakey make it all right. He was going to leave the mine a couple of days after I did.
Speaker 2: Under the direction of Norman McDonald, Escape has Brought You Judgment Day at Triple Deer by Les Crutchfield, starring Lawrence Dobkin with Harry Bartel. Featured in the cast were Lou Krugman, Georgia Ellis, James Nusser, and Clayton Post. You're announcer George Walsh. The special music for Escape is composed and conducted by Leith Stephens.
Speaker 1: Next week, you are standing alone in a mountain village somewhere in the puppet country of and Dora, the high crags of the Pyrenees, trapping the last of the daylight. And you know that in one of the stone houses facing you, behind one of the doors that is closed against you, is a beautiful woman whom you must find before she meets her death.
Speaker 2: So listen next week when Escape brings you Kathleen Hyde's story The Wall. Saturday Night on CBS Radio, Gangbusters reveal the true facts behind a fantastic hotel hold up in which three comical bad guys with a wicked sense of humor terrorize Manhattan hotel guests, rob them, and vanish into the night after commandeering the hotel for their own high profit without interference. Here Gangbusters through crime case history Saturday Night on most of these stations. Listen while you work. Enjoy Young Doctor Malone every Monday through Friday in the daytime on the CBS Radio Network.