Speaker 1: Welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteen, episode thirty nine.
Speaker 2: This is class number thirty nine. I've been with you people for a long time. You probably know all my mannerisms and my expressions. It's amazing when you begin to listen to people, you get that sense. Someone emailed me thinks that we should take the first fifteen minutes and combine them and make special shows just for that. I don't know if that means he only listens to the first fifteen minutes, but apparently. But really, the truth is that every time you listen to a show, you have to listen to the next week because, as you guys know, ready, probably seven eighths of what I say, you're ninety percent. It's just off the top of my head, not reading anything. And afterwards I start wondering, was I exact? I I'll make a correction. I said something which was sort of correct, but I'm really the doc dake, so I have to make it one hundred percent. But so they everything follows following up that fifteen minutes that he liked so much. Ruven's from Paris. Some of you were very interested in the whole well b Michal Schabas for psychiatric reasons. He calls my attention. I mean, I read this, but I forgot about it. The masuris Mosha of Mosha Fleinstein instantly. Volume four just came out. Volume one is the best volume because there's no real no censorship of it if you see the other volumes. But on page ninety three he has that very question about going to a doctor, a psychiatrist on Shabis and how we're Mosha was mater if the psychiatrist thought that it was pikouachnefsh but not as a general rule, so you can check that out. He also, well, last week we spoke about how the Ashkenazim they were so opposed to Hascala that the all of a sudden you couldn't do. He called my attention to another thing, which I knew, but he reminds me of it. In Kakira thirteen, there's an a letter all article whereby Muskin whichcudes a letter from ra by Bluff of tells who attended the Yomatsmode celebration whole thing. But in there he speaks about the mistakes we've made that we that is, the Uguddhists the Yeshiva world was not able to find support among the people. He says, not because of our stance against their incorrect views. It's not that they opposed us because we oppose their wrong views. No, listen to this. It's because of our negative position against the correct views, such as learning Bible, speaking Hebrew and ritsistererral. The populace cannot understand our concerns right Bo says, the reason we have no influence is because we were in opposition to things that we were wrong to be in opposition too, namely Tanach speaking Hebrew and erisis terraul did and he explains how the attitude was. If if they religious are doing it, if the Misrakli are doing it at Dafka, we have to be opposed to it, which makes no sense, as he points out, So thank you for that rouving. We're gonna be devoting today. I'm gonna in a minute, I have to return to this issue of the lice eggs, because I got five emails about this, and I began to respond very strongly defending my position on the time I got to the fifth email. We have Benny, we have Rebbe Mordechai, we have a VI, we have rouving from Paris and one more. I'm not so sure. So we're gonna go through the Soggia and and I'll explain to you why it's it's problematic. But before we go to that, and that's gonna be the last thing we do in introduction, we're gonna be spending today's class in the very long letter of by Mazous and believe me, I'm gonna make you from nineteenth century Lithuania. Well wait, wait, do you see everything we cover? But I since we are going to focus on him, I just and we spoke last class about all the people attacking him, and look, there's lots of attacks, and I it's funny the attacks. They call him a moscule and everything. All these attacks, incidentally, are they're not really about the issues. The attacks are about who's going to lead the Spardic world. So, for instance, let me pull up my screen. Here is the Sparta and so therefore, if you can delegitimize someone for their views, uh, that's that's the best way to do it. Now, I want to pull up something on the screen here, where is it? Okay? So is the Sphardic world going to be led by these two Rabbi Mazous and Rabbi Amar or is it going to be led by the the other people? And if you attack Ruby Massous as a mosco, the whole thing it makes no sense. It's all stupid. What are you in, Moscule? I'll show you something in a minute. There was no Hoscala in this Fardic world. So to say that if you you have these like here, let me shall you something. I'm I have a book here, can you see it? Kazono safe And it's the says Hascalo, that's a duke, And it's an attack against Rabimazus. What since wend svardhim have anything to do with Hoscala? When they study Tanach? They study Tanach because that's what you're supposed to do and study Hebrew. But these Fardic rabbis, the extremist s, Fardic rabbis who've gone to the Ashkenazi kyeshivas, they've brought into this whole thing about Hoscala, which is not part of their culture at all. It's so it's uh And if anyone's interested in this, I can send you. I have many other, many other pieces attacks calling him a moscule and all this which is completely taking the Ashkenazic opposition from the nineteenth century and putting it into the s Fardic world. On another matter, in terms of criticism, I played you reviewed Psychio Safe's attack last week, and I have a lot of respect for Ezechio Safe. He included letters in my book. He's obviously one of the great post scheme but that's what he is. He's a post sake, he's not I don't think it's an insult to say he's not wide in terms of his range. And I also don't think it's an insult to say that you can't compare him to Rabbi Mazou's. It's just it's like when the people would attack Rabbi Selivachik. Sometimes the I mean, it doesn't, it's just we're dealing with different leagues. If I may say so myself, I don't think. And fundamentally, the question I think is in the Spardak world, is it going to be a Haadi's Fardak society or is it going to be a Startak society? For that for instance, can play the following they play you Rabbi Mazu's something that just play for thirty seconds, or is it will be a Spartak where you can have the rabbi say as follows and pay and listen carefully. There's no ebro I know.
Speaker 3: Hili three and the hammam shaloon yatom.
Speaker 2: In other words, are you going to have this isn't religious Zionism from him, but it's a it's a it's a recognition of the significance of the state, of the importance of the soldiers. And that really is the old Spardak way, that's the way of Akramavadios, vuzio, et cetera. Or are you gonna go the ashkenaze a radio world which because of its history he doesn't want to have any identification whatsoever with the the structure of Israeli government, the army, all these sorts of things in the Spardak world. Saying the prayer for the Hilim, what's the problem? Of course, you say the prayer. So why do I mention all this? Because in this week's uh weekly sur last week number two forty nine from Mamazus, he says something which they can again use to attack him as being a moscuo. So what is it? Okay? He talks about Parsha Zohar and I'm gonna have to tell you my form thing in a minute as well. Parsha Zahar, and he points out that none, none of the Spartak authorities in the Sparda world, women never went as I mentioned, women never went even in the ash world until recently. But he says, it's a big machocus the Spardak post scheme Rambam, et cetera. They all assume that Parsha Zahara is durabonent. The only people who hold it star reisata law are the medieval Ashkenazak authorities. And he says as follows. This is in Note fourteen. He says that Theshkas, because they lived such difficulties under the Gazeero, the Crusades, et cetera, they were very mahmir when it came to Parsha Zahar, and they applied their current enemies, namely the Christians. They put them under the category of amakak zahor. So basically they ve the Christians that they were living in became a stand in for a mulake. And because they wanted to stress because they were having such difficult times how bad this was. They therefore they turned it into a del Riisa and Asvardak Sargine, who are living under a much more tolerant regime. They didn't have that. So basically he's this is a play well, this is from the Jacob katz Ii Moreba Cimsoalavacic playbook interpreting haw A Hara based upon medieval Hallha, based upon societal circumstances. He's saying that the Ashkenazi who stressed that Parsha zuchler is toro law, it's because they were viewing the Christians as a mulach and they were so so present in their life that it had to be del reisa. That that's the swort of thing that I could see them saying. There you go again, all that huscala, Ellie, Ellie Turkle, thank you. He called my attention to uh to this. I didn't know about this that Israel Public Radio two years ago played Wagner and it had they had to apologize for it. This is on the BBC. You can read it the whole story here and at the end they quote someone whereas it who's this Jonathan Livney. He's head of the Israel Wagner Society, which I never could imagine this is an Israel Wagner society, but he thinks it's important to listen to Wagner. So thank you for that. I forgot. I've had the things on the foe, So I have two more things. Those who've listened to my since it's poor im, I'll show you. Those who've listened to me for years know that a couple of times I said, I love this ashkenazik, this litfisha yamaka they wear, and I don't know where to get it. Well, so I think two people sent it to me. One I forget who, the other Juchsco Moskowitz. So here it is everyone you can see it here. This is Dovid Lifshits wore. This is what Romotional Feinstein wore. But I also every year for the last few years, this has been my I hope I can still wear it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: This has been my keep on poor and that's the extent of my costume. Here you go, make Schull great again. And I picked this up at the few years ago. It's the sixth three community Synagogue, So uh, make schol great again? There you go. Well, Uh, by Shapiro in Washington Heights and Broyers. This is how you go to the omen and this is what the caption you laying in. Yeah, that's not exactly what I have one, oh, same one, Okay, very nice. I I I listened to the tape over and I just want to be clear. If you listen to the end, it was clear we spoke about the word roots. I I didn't mean to say, as I said, it's not a biblical word. We know it's a biblical word. It's roots manette. Not only I mean we see it all the time. In fact, here one of the famous verses, where is it in You're Miyahu? I wrote it down at ah yes and near me. I think I have it here here MEO seven. We all know this right in where's it pussic Zion, you're Zion re Huda. You're showing by the way huts there means streets. What I meant as and I can't find it at the end is levad. I looked. I looked in the concordance. I could not find anywhere where the word levad meaning huts meaning accept or, apart from which is what leavad means, appears except in that one pussok Uh that I showed you in cohellis so okay now and this will take five minutes, we'll go an extra four minutes. I see. I want to get back to that point because many people who know me about and here I have the gamar. Let's look at the gamar quickly. The gamar and this is in Shabis one oh seven B is discussing. It establishes that unless something reproduces, there's no there's no prohibition to kill the creature. And let me just read you the English. But now I'm gonna go back to the Hebrew. And they say that lice doesn't reproduce. So then here we go. Abaye. You see the mark Abaye says to revieo safe and lice do not procreate? Didn't the Master mar By This is quoted in voters are also and it's I believe it's Rov who says it. The Holy One, blessed be He sits and sustains everything from the horns of wild oxento the eggs of lice. The zancarne mean by say so based as it says, here there there's ice eggs. God Uh takes care of everything from the the the the the the wild oxen, and too the eggs of the lice that would show you that how could you say that the lice don't reproduce in a normal way as opposed to let's say, from sweat, and what is the answer here? And by incidentally, thises, hold on a second, Yeah, this was originally Abaye says, uh, why does he say it? Okay? Before earlier it's speaking about Ravio Safe.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Reberez says, if you kill lice on schabis, it's like if you kill a camon shabis and Ravio Safe objects to this, okay. So then it says, if you look in the Gamara in English, it says, Ravio Safe answered him, naming with real. Safe answered to Baye, there is a species of insect that is called lice eggs, But lice themselves do not lay eggs. So what it's saying is that even when it says that God watches over and takes care of the carna meme to bates Ki Nime, it doesn't mean lice eggs. It means a species kenim that's called life eggs. Strange. Yes, before I go further, I have to point out this is the Koran. Koran says, Ravyosef answered him. The Gamara doesn't say. R Yose answered him, and this is gonna be important. Uh Abayas says, is that true that keenim do not reproduce? Didn't Mar say that God takes care of the the rams horns and the bets keenim. Then it's the answer is minahu dimitri beats baits say kenyim. It's not rivosef here. It's the Gamara answering it, the stom whatever you want to call it. This is going to be important in a minute for the reason I'm going to tell you. Second of all, when the gamar then it goes further and it says the tanya to pull you in. Theyt se kmim. It says again it was asked, wasn't it taught in the brysa that they're life eggs? And then it's he answered him again, it's no, this is the gamarra speaking. Now why is it okay? And I'll explain to you why that's important in a couple of minutes. But now let me get to the question. So I said, I didn't mention this last week. I I I didn't get into this idea that life's eggs. The Gamuri here doesn't interpret him as being actual eggs. It's a separate species. What I said was that in it refers to isix. And Eli again told me that ravad Jose's grandson mentions this. Maybe I saw it. He's citing Ravvadya. Maybe I first saw that there and the Gamaris Perkes says that when Navi males took Sara, all the nakaevos in his house, all the females became barren until Bates kemim, so my understanding and revvad Jose, for releast has passed on by his grandson understood this to mean that, uh, this is referring to reproduction. What I was asked by those four or five people was why why not assume that perk even if it says, how you calling the cavo space so a carros when it says, I feel what baits say, Kenim it means the creatures, not the eggs. So at first I defended my reading, and now I'm saying, maybe you're right. Maybe Bickerdozer needs to be understood the exact same way, in which case take back what I said. The problem is, what kind of answer is this that there's a species that's called lice eggs. The gamara says lace eggs. And this gets us into in fact, the rouving from Paris said, recommended I look at Slifkin. So I searched, and Sliffkin amazingly says that, uh, this is this is extremely strange, and he offers a different explanation of the gamarrow. So let me explain what's going on here and why what I said before is so important at least if you're an academic, that it's not. It's the later Gamara. Let's say we had this gamarro also in the Irishalmi, and I buy a sighted a source and said that, well, what about the fact that we have this saying from the mar that God takes care even of the lice eggs. Let's say that you're shaw me then made it machocus. Okay, so it's macocus. One holds that there are lice eggs. The other holes it the species. We wouldn't anything of it. But all we have is the bovy. What Sliffkin is doing is basically he's doing what some academic scholars are saying. What he's doing is he's giving a different explanation. He's saying, yes, the Gamara says there's a species of insects that's called lice eggs, But that doesn't make sense, and he's giving another explanation. This is the way academics scholars off and not just academics ares. If you look at the toasis yomtovin Nuzzier parakee mishna, the Ramam does itk of Weinberg does it, Vilnagone does it. There's this whole approach that you can give an explanation of the Gamara different than what the gamara does. In other words, if you read the Gamara the way I said you should, ABAYI asked this question, and then the the editor explains, no, it's not really a stra because when mar says eggs of lice, it doesn't mean eggs of lice. It means a species, a separate species of insect. But who says that that's the absolute answer. This could be even a savarrock answer. And we have examples where we shown him I know today, if you do this, I'll throw you the base major school. We have examples of the rumbum, We have examples of other reshown name where sometimes they don't feel bound by the later explanations like this, and that's why Sliffkins says he offers a different explanation. He after saying it's strange, he says that when it's he says, it doesn't mean that there is a species of insect called the eggs of lice. Rather, it's referring to knits, actual lice eggs, but not from which lice hatch. So the point is that I really don't know what to make of this. The shot in the gamara is obviously bates a a key name referred to a separate species, and that's you could read a contrary to what I said last week. You could read picketeralizer that way, despite what ravad Yosiv's grandson says. But if you want to be a little academic, you can ask yourself, is the gomorrah is that really what it's saying, or is that they have a tradition that you can kill it and now you have a steira. Then Ittsief says that sometimes the gomorrow would contort uses that word came explanations in order to bring it in line with the halaka. Is this an example where they're offering an explanation, sort of a doka explanation just to bring it into line with the halaka. There's a hallaja. We have a tradition that for whatever reason, lice you can kill on shabis and then you have your They give a steerra because they say there's lice eggs and you come up with it. He comes up with an explanation in the Gamara. But this is and this is just trying to offer an explanation. Last week, I gave a different explanation that all this happens in a microscopic way. Sliffkin doesn't like that. Sliffkin says that there are no reshown him of earlier charonim who come up with this idea. So I don't know, but I I thank you for everyone who wrote. And it could be that the pucatz or should be understood the same exact way as everyone as the Gamarin shabas. Okay with us, let us pick up. If you recall we were speaking about Rabbi Mosha Kunitz. I mentioned Rabbi Mosha Kunitz. If you recall, I told you that he wrote, uh disappears in all the missionayas till they censored it. Told us rabinu Hakodosh. It's a couple pages and the see if you go to the next page, it continues. And then you go to the next page, and right at the bottom of the next page you get the mama al diktua Mishna that we spoke about. He mentions the point about kohelas this passage from Marmosha Kunitz. It comes out of a larger work. You can see it on Hebrews that or called which is a play. The the biography appears at the beginning. Hold on, you can see it here. Here's the biography is at the beginning here told us rebinocados. But following that, you have a play and it has all the characters. You have Rebbi and Avigayo, and come with you, et cetera, et cetera, and you have a whole play here. So very interesting. And I mentioned to you we'll get to I mentioned to you that he was he's buried right next to shim and Oppenheim. Here. Let me show you something I wasn't exactly correct. And with Shiman Oppenheim, how I described. I have a picture of her. I took pictures. I said that if you go to his grave, it says that he will interceede. It doesn't actually say that. What it says is u. It says as follows, everyone who comes to uh comes to my grave, you should sayona it's it's say our kail malay Racha Mime is an abridge version of this. This is found in the day from ma Var Yabok, which has to do with mourning. He says everyone should say and he says, uh vimia krasfashal. And but Sarah, if you're in difficulty, you should pray on my grave, and you should give something to Dacca in behalf of my soul, and yeshima and uh shavasama mank here its own, and God will hear your prayer. So it's not that I remembered it mistakenly that he would intervene. No, no God. So here you have an actual guarantee by the great schimen Appenheim, which is just too glory him away from Mosha Kunitz, where he says, if you pray here and you do this what I tell you to do, God will hear. Of course you could say gatto here. It doesn't mean no listen, but at least you're guaranteed O hear. And because of that this is then a stop for on all the cavoriantors, because as far as I know, we have no other kever where you're giving a guarantee that if you do this, God will hear it.
Speaker 1: So we were.
Speaker 2: What we're gonna do now is continue in my letter to Roly Mazous. It's a long letter and we're going to go back and forth. Would I say what he says? And we're on Simon kok Mamal left page two ninety seven, and I was just talking about I don't need to repeat it, about remotion Kunitz and how he was asked to uh, he was asked the questions in this book. Let me show you another book. I got this ready. The name of the book is where did I put it here? Here is the name of the book is. You can see on Google Books. That's where I found it. It's called no got Sdek, the first no god Stek, the first generation of the reformers. They wanted to get a lot of justification for using an organ, changing to a Spardic pronunciation, various things. And they have Italian rabbis and then they have Mosha Kunitz. They have Ara Haran, who at this time was not regarded as a reformer, just a liberal Orthodox. He then becomes the big reformer. We'll get back to him later today. But I point out that Ramosha Kunitz didn't know really what was going on. He was just asked the question. So he answered, he answers it. Okay, let's stop here. Oh, and I mentioned one thing, E was that a few years before that, the book Beno High that I showed you wi is Ramosha Kunitz's Defense against the Zoar, Defense of the Zoa against the Ravakovenden's at criticisms was reissued. And you know who reissued it, a Sotmar publisher.
Speaker 3: So even in.
Speaker 2: Satmar they read Ramosha Kunitz.
Speaker 1: Sir.
Speaker 2: On Maszou's replies to me, as follows, he says, this is on page three hundred. He says, regarding Ramosha Kunitz, meisa shahaya kahaya. This is what happened. He goes, until a few years ago, I was a subscriber to yetman Is the Karadi, the Litwa Shaharadi newspaper in Israel. They also have it in America. And uh, he says. Then agav aside, he says, very interestingly, there was an article there titled he let us Go assimilate and among the things it quoted from Bialyx work Ir Haariga, the city of Slaughder. We're I have to do with the kitchen of pg in nineteen oh three, and it says in the Taid article that two lines were removed from that when it was published because the Russian censor, who was an apostate, he refused to allow it to be printed, that he would not lose his share in the world to come. And when Biallak went on and Ali, yeah, he reprinted it, Sir and Mazus says man Jane, he's a shirodela, which it's interesting to know which can you imagine? Maybe I saw that you would say it, but a typical goddle uh Alredi type, Najaradi Aldi type, saying I like to know what two things there? Well? I pointed out in fact in the in the first version of my book, I say, I think it's these because I read the poem and it only it could only be those. But in the reprint which is now in Israel and in America, where I just corrected typos, but here I actually said not that it appears to me it is, And I cited two essays one memoir, actually in one essay that speak about this whole incident. Bencion Katz, he was involved in this whole thing. So let me show you what's going on here with Bolk and what he's referring to, because this is a safer that's found now in Butte Midrash. I did not want to cite the lines. If the lions are so heretical, I didn't want to cite them. I just said, it's the two lines that begin so holy, I live here they are. Let me read it to you in Hebrew and English. So holy or Biolic would have pronounced it so holy auve olam any Commoslim honny hu jechem the kvamer. But Mostlim we know he pronounced that way because he rhymes often with the Ashkenaza pronunciation. Here's the translation, and he's speaking here to the people who suffered a terrible bogram forgive ye shamed of the earth. Yours is a pauper Lord poor was he during your life and poor is still of late. So here you're you're saying about God, that God is a pauper, that God is not I mean, that's a heretical thing. Obviously, although you have like reve it'zuck and Briditch of he would like scream out to God and almost criticize God. But here you have a poem saying that God is so weak he couldn't protect you. Who is your God? So we understand why that was left out. But then Rebet Mazous continues. He says, in this tamn, he says, uh. Remember, he says, I used to be a subscriber. He says, the editors attacked this essay. Ben youo Bate Robbie of Ramosha Kunitz and they and one of the things they point out Ourmosha Kunitz discusses it speaks there that Rebby and Antoninus there was a tunnel that they would go between and between Cephisi Poti and Romy and Sir Amosha Kunit says, well, it must be a magic tunnel. And he's not the first one that they transferred. I even found online. Someone says that who knows, maybe he was a miracle.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It shows you he's even though he's open minded, he's really living in a pre modern sensibility. We actually know this Romi is. It's referring to there's an Arab village at to this day called ruma or something like that. That's must be what it's referring to. But what did they say in the you taking them on? They said that Ramosha Kunitz he interpreted as a magic tunnel. So everyone's seeing this would see how idiotic the Gamar is that they believe that you could have a magic tunnel. And they think that Mosha Kunitz is doing it to make fun of the Talmud. It's completely false. That's not why he's doing He's doing it because he has a simple view of that. Obviously there must be a miracle here. And then it says, and you're taking them on. They also mocked the picture of a certain rabbi who obviously didn't know who he was. Who's the rabbi? Let me show you the rabbi. Sometimes people are just so stupid. They don't know how, you know. It's it's bad to be It's one thing to be ignorant or to not know, but it's another thing to not know. How much you don't know. We all know it. You see, you don't know something that's bad, But to not know that you don't know it, that's even worse. And that we can say about this the Atata man saw up this guy starts writing about this person dvid Sin sign that he was on the French Son Hedron, and and they mocked him, like who is this phony rabbi appearing on the Son Hedern when you know, I guess son edroning quotes uh with Napoleon all that. They didn't realize that this is one of the godoliast thrower of David Sen sign that he's the yacht David. The hawsom Sofa has oh eulogy for him. He has like ten volumes of yaddvid and also commentary on Talmon and also Mirasonia. Tell me the encyclopedia. My best entry in Mirasoni is Ratoul. He has all entry on on cats and rabbinic writings, Cats and rabbinic writings. So then they were told who it is and then they had to apologize. But you see, they're looking to attack people. They don't realize they're attacking one of the Godolin. He was in a difficult situation because the French Son Hedron, which had secular risks and also Orthodox rabbis, where they were asked all sorts of questions. I think I made a copy of it here one of the questions they were asked. Oh yeah, so they were asked by Napoleon. This is the question I had to answer. Remember the circumstances. Can a Jewish marry a Christian? You can't say that Jews. The questions are you going to be French people or not? Or are you going to be separate? Which means that you have to be in the ghetto. So the difficult question. So they sort of hedge it. Then they say that although religiously it can't be done. It says here it says, according to the Talmud, you need to have a religious ceremony qedution. So since Jews and Christians are of a different religion, you can't have kidutions. So they can't be a religious ceremony. They can only be civilly married. You see what they're trying to do. They're trying to not stress too much that intermarriage is really a terrible thing. They're trying to make it to a technical thing. By the way, Joe Auberman did the exact same thing. Go back, he'll be on YouTube. I'm sure listen to him. On Imus when he was asked about intermarriage and Joe Lieberman punted it. He didn't answer honestly, he said, well, it's it's not it's a custom of longstanding. I mean, he won't acknowledge that it's actually forbidden. And my friend I remember said to me, he just should have said. It's because after the Holocaust, you know, no one's gonna touch you. You can't or you. But it's becomes a hard thing in today's day and age, and it was a hard thing two hundred years ago. But this is one of good Delicero. There were other good deli throw who were at the sun Hedron. This was the leaders of the Jewish community. He was the head of the sun Hedron of Josef syn Seims. So they attack him, they mocked him, knowing nothing about him. It's this reminds me. After my book on the Rehreak of Weinberg came out, someone in the algamyn Or Journal, who knew nothing about the Rehrek of Weinberg wrote an attack on him like this, treating Rebehreaka of Weinberg as if he's some left wing rabbi and that he knew a little. He wrote some responds and really degrading him. And I said to people, this guy doesn't know who reverbriac of Weinberg is. He doesn't know that he'd be put by moos Sternbach and Rai Shiner. He doesn't know that in Nyeshiva world, you're supposed you're supposed to respect the bhata Weinber. He's not the ruvslivchik. This guy didn't He doesn't even know that, on the contrary, you're supposed to grab or break of Weinberg and hold on to him and push away people like me. So the same thing with Rabbi Sinzheim. And then Rebey Mozu says, and then he says, listen to this, and they continue to attack Rebbe avad your safe and Robuccshi do ron or aden steinsos U add more Milo Bovich And of course I mean that was the big attack against the Labovich Rebbe. And he says, concerning these people, the sage to say, who is your anger? Not your your evilness not been upon And he says, has and I stopped this? Uh, I don't know dornia this piercing. I guess this. Uh, this bad newspaper and it is a bad newspaper, the American newspaper's terrible newspaper. Either I remember years ago they came out with treating or dove Schwartz like he was some left wing open Orthodox rabbi, not one of the great post scheme because he has a different view on conversion. It's par for the course. And then he says, and this is amazing from the Haskma of Ramosha Kunitz in the book No God Said, has really the letter? He says, I understand why the Hari diem Hashkenazim, Hay, why the Ashkenazim today are not prepared to accept habitoi tien verghette. They're not. You can teach them, but they refuse to pronounce the eye in hte properly. And he says, and he says the core emomissioner that tom a chorus apiciras. And they call people who actually will pronounce the red and ion properly and api chorus. And then he writes in parentheses kasher kuta and dot dot dot what's the dot dot dot? In his original letter to me, he cites this person a well known Hasidic figure or semi well known Hasidic figure in London who's also into TikTok. But I thought that maybe he'd get in trouble because he's saying he's making fun of all the people who lives with that. If you pronounce it properly, they call you not be chorus. So I actually got in touch with him, found his email and I asked him. I said, Rema Mazuza, mentions you by name that you said that any among the Ashganazia Karadim, if you actually pronounce the letters properly, they call you not be cis because you're a Muscile. Should I mention you? He says, no, no, no, don't mention me. Take me out, he says, he said, I have to live with these people. So that explains the three dots there. And uh, and he says, but I understand why they don't like Ramosha Kunitz because this is one of the things the reformers wanted to do. And uh, Ramosha Kunitz agreed. And if you look, I'll show you right now what he's referring to is his fellows. You think he's the only good who knows no God saidek who reads this stuff anymore? It's so, here's so, here's the letter of Mosha Kunitz. And he says he was one of the questions. He was asked with that the New Reform Synagogue they started dobbning with a Sphardak pronunciation. So he says as follows. First of all, he says that alta filos go to heaven. Then he says, he says that of the Jews, a seven kla chim used the Spardak pronunciation, and the the efreelek is the Ashkenazic pronunciation. I don't know where there's there's something about that in the ire, but he certainly it's not numerical. And then he says, there's no doubt of how how how many there are. The truth is that in nineteenth century they're more Ashconosic Jews than Sparta Jews. But whatever, he says, he didn't know that. He says they they dwell in Tunis Tripoli. Anyone know what this word is? Pay iron tech Sadi. It took me a while to figure out what he was talking about. Then he says, afterward, Morocco and in all of Africa and Asia by money? What is pets? What it's in Africa? What could it be? And then I realized, you know what it is. It's fez. This is one of your safe Missus's books mayam ray and we'll see if anyone got I can't see the chat at the moment, uh fez, So why does he call it? Because he saw it written f e z and in German z is written like site like z like if you want to say, for instance, the newspapers on the zetenge, it's setong. So he's pronouncing f e z as like the ashken sih and therefore he thinks that fez. He didn't he never saw a book I guess with spelled in Hebrew. It's not it's spelled with a samer. So he's says that you can, and then he goes on. He says that if you see over here that the great rabbi in Frankfurt Ravnusson Adwer, he actually prayed with the Spardak pronunciation. And that's true, Ramusson Adler. There was a rabbi Jaya Moodai. He's he wrote a volume of Soos and schuvos. He was a Machebach and he lived in russ and his house and nuss and I want learned how to pronounce in the Sardak way. So ram Mosha Kunit says, there's nothing wrong with pronouncing sfardik. This is the issue that came when the State of Israel, or in early years before in the State of Israeli and or Cooked dealt with it. All the cook all the Ashkenazak crabbis say you can't change it, you have to dive and watch Kenazak. And the Sarda crabbis all say, of course you can, because the Sarda pronunciation is better. Then we get these day schools, and because of the State of Israel, and because of the Hebrew being spoken there, we're all taught as children spardak. So our kids grow up speaking mostly Spardak, we said, not completely, but mostly Spardak, not with the pronunciation ain rhett but tough, no suff things like that, And that's now become pretty uh standard varro lets. He mentions in one of his essays that when he moved to Israel, he began to dove in that way because he figured going back to Israel, but he couldn't, having grown up Dolvin in one way, you can't. If you listen to Ashkenazi, you should rushi ashievo and they give a sher in Hebrew. It's all eve reads. But then when they start quoting Zooking. Then it's all ashkenazik. So it's a real uh shot and it's a real mixture. So that's the first thing in the letter. Now let's go back in his answer. Now, let's go back to my letter, because I continue with my questions that I'll skip one thing. Well, actually, let me just say quickly. He mentions in his book he has a book on Godoli, and he has a lot on the Godoli, Montunis and Gerba. And he says he discusses this Rabbi Kulflin moshak Cohing, which I don't think any of you have heard of him, because if you're an a Shanaza should say, because he's not an arcanon. But he was a great, great Torist scholar. And and I sent him something that appeared in a in nineteen fifteen and Israeli Tower Journal Hay which mentions things about him, including that he would read Mapu and also Shulman Colman Shulman. So and then I say, as follows in opposition to Mapu, Mapu is considered like the first of these East European mosquille in. So he was public enemy number one in the Yeshiva world. He wrote a book called Avasion, and in one of the memoirs memoir literature, he tells a story that because there was another book called Avascil, the notab be Huda's son has a book of Drussals called Avasion and the Masquilla, not the masquilla they didn't call a ma in Vlosion. But the guy whose jaba was to make sure everyone was on the straight and narrow. He sees the guy learning Avasion. He thought it was the Mapu's book. He was such so ignorant, this guy, he couldn't tell the difference. He took it away and confiscated. I don't know if he destroyed it. I can't remember. But Savascillon is classic. And when I decided I wanted to read a host of work, I actually got a copy of Mapu. You can still get it in Israel, although this is published I think in the thirties. But I say that in opposition to Mapu, Schulmann was a hurrishamaim and Scholmar teramitsus. So who is Schulmann, Colmen Schulmann. Here is Colmen Schulman. Let me show you a picture of him. There he is, and you can read all about him in Wikipedia. Hebrew English looks like a schomer Shabas. And of course he is Colmin Shulman. He's a he wrote all sorts of books on Jewish history and other things. Remember he's Vilna Lithuanian MUSKILLI. Many of them are what would they if you look who used to be? For example, u Adar crowd. Do you Bernard Revel graduate school. We're talking lit fish, Muskellium. These are telling me, but these are modern types. And I say that he was he lived in Vilna. And it's known that in Vilna there were many Muskili muskelm in quote who were telling me to come him. And we're close to Godoli stro And I don't need to mention it's a homar that they were strict on all matters of halaha. And I said, one of these Musculi was Matisistras, Matistras whose father was the Rashash. And he was it's it's he left all this money. Was wealthy. They built a great library, the Stration Library. I think I mentioned to you about Dan Ribinwitz's book. Let me pull it up for you here. Let me get to if if anyone wants to see a good book I reckon on this the I showed it to you once. So here the lost there it is the lost library, the legacy of the Nostrasian Library in the aftermath of the Holocaust, A whole book about the the stration library. So uh, I recommend uh. He was a u a great tourist scholar. Also his commentary is in the back of the Villaina Shas and uh Babasca. I can't remember where else. And then I say that there's no connection and no similarity between these Muskillium, that is the Villaina Moskuilline and the other Mousklium. Wou'd say, God, let's see, uh. You know in Germany the only difference is the only similarity is the name Muscule, which in Lithuania, all it means is that you knew dicto partial nuts Shira Jewish history, just like Goudoway Sharad, the great Spanish ages in the days of Hutah lady and the Rambam and regard and I say regarding Musquelium again in quotes like from Matisstrashun and many like him who are not known today, you can say about them, the Moskillium, Yes, Hebrew Kizoa Hirakia. This is a passuk, and this pusuksculling, this hero Acazoa Hurrakilla. Let me get us again. Here we go. It appears in the Book of Daniel, chapter twelve, verse three. There you go the mosquille Ma's hero Cazoa Hurrakia. And they then are wise shall shine as the brightness of the firm mint. So we see that the word muskuille is used in Tanach in a positive way. And I say that those muskuille it's a very positive thing. And then I say, and if these people are musculing in quotes, then the rumbam and all the great torus stages of Spain, and raff Shampshon not raf shimshon, raf shamp shown ralph al Hirsch and rivers, reel Holdes, Sigmer and cook and like a Weinberg and Robby Salivachik, and even the Rashash the father are also musculine. And even you, Rabi Masus, you're a muscuelle, because in addition to your greatness and shaws and post scheme, your bucky, you're knowledgeable in diktuk, in the songs of Spain, in piute and philosophy and partial note. And I say, therefore, there's no reason to use the term moscile without explaining who it refers to. What type of mosquel are we talking about? There are people called mysovechka moskiel. And then I say, and regarding Biolok, I just want to point out that they were Godolin who related to him very positive. I already mentioned this, and I say that Biolock was not a showmore tormentos. However, he was what we call mahabed Torah. He was a respector of Torah. When he came to Israel, he was more became more traditional. He was not like ahd Am or Betaschevsky and Schernikovsky. No, And then I point out, as I mentioned already, but I sent to him that Regresco Abramsky was a baki in Biollick's poetry. And it's it's very different. So that's point four of Actually it's funny here it's his zo point three of my letter. But there's no point four is missing. I don't know what happened to that, so okay, So let me tell you his response to this. Now, he says, the works of commen Shulman told us hachm Astro. He wrote a whole thing about Kachne aestrol. He says, we had in our home, that is in Tunis, and that's where I learned, you know, the dates of the different rabbis and parshoes of Shiris Farad. And in one of the early volumes he says that in his youth he learned in the colais in Villna he did, he learned in the Klois. The villain went back to the Villainagone, the little base madrish. And to his credit, Ramai Mazou says, when he came to write about Ramosha de Leone, he didn't attack him as as Gretz and the rest did. They all attacked him. Why because they said that he invented the zoar and all that. And he says that Shulman was much more sensitive to Orthodox sensibilities, and he even respected Kabalan the Rumba. And then he says, and we see in the h you sent me. Let me show you the picture. I didn't even notice, but he calls attention to this the thing he's gonna He says, you see in this picture that first of all, he has a beard, and pay us okay, let's shame. Villino was a common and then he says, and the right side of his jacket is over the left side, like the hasidium. So let me explain to you what it's talking about here. First of all, Colmin Shulman, instantly he comes from a rabbad background. His father was a talmudive of Iron of Starishella, who is a rabbad, not Lebovich, but rabbad in Hasidos. They have this concept b like for the not for the women. The women. I think your things are already different. Someone sent me something because women their shirts would go right over left because they'd have servants, the wealthy ones. And it's a lot easier for right handed. But just think of our jackets, all of us. We take our like our coat. The buttons are on the right side. I'll show you the buttons are over here, and then we would put the left side in and then we put it in and that's our shirts. Also. However, that's a problem because the left is over the right, and that's not supposed to be. On the contrary, right is supposed to be over left. What do we say here, it's Russad over Gavoura right, Russ said, is the right and Gavura is the left, or it's the other way around. I here, remember, but in the general right is always supposed to be I think Russ is right, and it's supposed to be on over gavour Rah, and right is always supposed to be over left. So sid him. Let me show you a picture, for instance, let me show a picture little cher rebbe. For instance, where's my picture a little Bocher rebbe?
Speaker 1: I got.
Speaker 2: And get rid of that. I have a picture here of the rebbe. Do I have a picture of the rebby?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Here he is. So look at the rebby. Let me enlarge it here for you. Can I enlarge it? Yeah? You see his jacket, and think about your jackets. Your jacket would be the other way. Your jacket the left side, the buttons would be on the right side. And here you see the buttons are on the left side, and the jacket that goes over that's buttoned in, is on the right side. So all the jackets we have it's the other way. I'm trying to think here now, Yeah, yeah, the buttons are on the right side, and you bring the left. This is such a big deal. And it's taken so seriously. I asked one of my silitic friends, so what do they do? It seems complicated about jackets. I get it, but what about shirts? He said, there's a whole market even for shirts. So here, for example, you buy you can't go into a regular store Nordstrom to get your shirts, so you can go and Burrow. This is a place in Borough Park, so you can get a regular white shirt. But here you have Hasidish. So what does Casseidish mean? Will you click on it? Let's see what it tells us. It says right here button Grasidish right to left. So if you're if you're in the hasidic world, you need your white shirt. You have to go specially and buy a shirt at special places. There's a whole industry that's built up. Some people are more mock pd on just the jackets. Everyone is mock pit on the capoto. Others are mock pit on jackets but not on shirts, and others are mock bid completely on shirts. And my friend who sent me this crassidic guy in New York comes from England, told me that when they were they didn't have stories like this. When he was in England. So what they would do is they would buy women's shirts without ruffles or anything, and they would wear that because the women's shirts go the other way. At least, he tells me, I never thought of that before, but any of the women here can tell me if I'm wrong here. But apparently women's shirts do go the other way. And he says, it's funny because you could say that this is a bagadisha in order to get for this superstition, or I shouldn't say superstition. It's my misnogdish approach for this Hasidic homera or whatever you want to call it. But so Roby Mazus points out, if you look at Commin Shulman, he's wearing his jacket in good Hasidic form right on top of left. And he says that his books were common in Gerba. And he says, my father told me that one of the big rabbis in Gerba when he got mister a Paris, he was so entranced by it. He learned it all night. What is mister a Paris Schulman? He was like, what these people had their mind? One half one half of them was in Paris or London, and the other half was in Villain that he wrote a translation. He thought it was worthwhile to spend his time, maybe between night and day. This is one of the most popular works that appeared in French in the nineteenth century, Mysteries of Paris. Very as it says, here founded the city. It spawned, I should say, the city's mystery genre. He wrote tom and Schulman wrote in Hebrew nothing like this that ever before appeared in Hebrew, a Hebrew translation of the Mysteries of Paris. And it's funny because in places like Jerba, anything in Hebrew is thought to be special. So they get that work, which today we'd say, this is just how scolar work, and what do you want to waste your time on that? But they read it, and then he says, but one thing did not find favor in my eyes, the common. Shulman writes that the Rashbah the rosa on the study of philosophy and science for anyone under twenty five years old, But he left out medicine. Medicine was always excluded the Herem in stantways for fifty years. And he says that Shulman says, the reason he didn't put a harem on ruful is because this is a people make money on being a doctor, and you can't tell them that they can't study medicine. Kessef h everything money supies everything, and Ramazous says, this is schecker and and you can also make money on other things kreshbon and Vanda sah et cetera. But no, the real reason is, he says, why medicine because they were worried in those days not to go to a non Jewish doctor. There was a fear that they would kill you. Even speaks about this, and therefore that's why medicine was important. Now as for the mosquille him, he says, as follows. For us, the must the word mosculle is not ghanai. It's not a negative thing. And he quotes Samsukim and then he says, and what you sent me the letters of ROBERTA. Jesco, Abromski and bi Alick. He says, the same thing we saw a couple of weeks ago. It bothers me. If a vad Josef had lived in that generation, he wouldn't have thrown him out of the yeshiva. He would have brought him back. And he says, just like Ravadi Josev did with the reporter from Marive. Apparently he's famous Adam Baruch. So he went to a tarboutra. He became irreligious and in the end of his life he returned. He was about Juva because of the influence of a You're safe. And then he says, I saw an article that says that bialk knew all the toastos and truck take a two boat balpe. And he says, it's too bad that this person ended up as a heretic. What can we do? Uh, yesh yesha. And he had a very strong urge to smoke. We know he used to smoke on shabas and a says Milvadimahiriem. In addition to other inclinations, I guess he's employing sexual inclinations. So and he has two more points. This I'm gonna have to wait, even though it's just like five lines, because I think it we can get into the issue of Gilgal and Juda, Aria Modna and some other things. So we're gonna finish up this. I'll just take us ten minutes or so, and then we have one more long long letter uh to Rebbi Mazou's which deals with everything uh from rush bomb and how to pronounce the sad and politics and Yeshiva University, Yeshiva University. What is that opening refrigerators on shabis? How to determine what a kosher bird is? Uh, Yashia micandia. That's the ravoce Rosen, the rubashov and juda Avi and et cetera, et cetera. All sorts of good stuff. And then we have more stuff. We have another We'll have probably of two more classes on Mazoo's all sorts of interesting stuff before we return to other figures, including the Obabachrebbi. The Obabachrebi is a lengthy letter in English, which we will get to. So you know, well, we we did like six pages, but we're still in the same simon. So let's stop here. Oh, one more thing I gotta tell you, okay before we start stop uh, because I see I made I made a note of it here. You know what, Let me start next class. What does the zoeaar have to do with being a moscile. We'll pick up on that next class. I'll show you. I think you'll find that of interest and the ba here and some other things. But we'll wait. We'll do that next class. Let me take the questions. The hour goes by very fast. I am telling you I could sit here for two three hours. I think I'd be looking at it. Of the fifty people here, a few of you will be still be looking at the rest of you will be falling asleep. But let's go back to the questions. Not because it's not interesting, but it's late. You've had a long day, David Eisen, says Ahadi Fellow once argue with me that this community will not say the prayer for the state of Israel or for the soldiers until the religious Zionist community will say it's field for the Aeshiva students. In response, I asked him if he understood the text of your comb pork on, which is for everyone, including them, the leaders, et cetera. Again, the thing makes no sense this guy, because they're not saying the high La the prayer for the soldiers. Leave this state out for a minute. They're not saying the prayer for the soldiers as a fan to the ruler of deusionists or anything like that. They should be saying the prayer for the soldiers because of what the soldiers are doing for them. Rebbemazou's on another tape which you can listen to I can send anyone, says that the whole thing is idiotic. He says, if someone lends you ten dollars, you say thank you, So some guy's gonna take three years out of his life to protect you, You're not gonna say thank you. It's all uh, but we understand it. It's all tied up with this hate, this anti Zionist extremism that has infected the Ashkenazic world. Unfortunately, that they'll give legitimacy. I don't know whose they is. But if if you if you say the prayer for the soldiers, it's as if you recognize the state Hospasholem, and therefore you can't do even though the two are totally separate. Ah, So we heard Lorch tells us that every canter wears it the same motto as the vermost of fine, same word of de regliptious Ravuntermann. So now I have it and I could wear it. David says, huts meaning aside from becomes a hootzi in Rabbinic Hebrew, which is indeed similar to outside of. And as we're almost thirty days from the Sator. It's worth noting that the opposite of Laotzi is lejave is in Benzema's teaching javigli Mosamachia, that is, including the days of the Machia, and not to bring Ah very nicelytus David, so very very very nice, as we saw, though, the point of Levinson is that it goes to bar Bar means both outside as rutz but also as in Levad apart from and he says that comes back into Hebrew, but only into very late Hebrew, as we he says cohlis, and then we see it in Mishnea Hebrew. I remember when I first studied Biblical Hebrew. That's the first time I learned. I had no idea that the word hazar it's not biblical Hebrew. You come until you learn biblical Hebrew, you don't realize that in terms of return in Biblical Hebrew at shuv, there's so many words that we use that we it's all mixed up. We don't realize that it's not really Biblical Hebrew. David says Apropos. The introduction of Sparta pronunciation bear from Judaism. I always wonder why the newspaper is called in English, yet nem on instead of on. I I don't know. I wondered that as well, but I'll I'll tell you something else that I was told by Nelson Kamenetsky that he says, you're wondering. You have to check this. I believe it's uh uh, it's true. Ranusson Komeneski said to me. He was, of course put. He said that, uh, they don't even know the grammar that ye tate is feminine in Tanach it should be emma. Nah, I believe some of which. I believe that of the few times it appears, most of the times it's feminine, but I think once it's masculine. But you're right it should be I I don't know why, because these people won't say the coattail, it will be the kaiso. So uh ah, David got it right, Fez very nice. Someone privately emails me, there have an article by Rev. Hamburgers in the Journal your shirt. You were just saying, nor of Nusson Adler and Spardak pronunciation. If anyone's interested, it's fascinating because they all cite of Nusson Adler and in my classes on the hustle sofur that you cannot see on YouTube, but you can see on you can listen to them on the torn Motion website which has all sorts of great stuff to listen to in the car and other times that we deal with from Nusson Adler, Barack said, the more conservative still, yeah, they're in the Haaradi world and more conservative. They teach Ashkenazik. I was taught Spardak, but when I turned from my bro midside, decided to learn the tow Ashkenazik, and because I figured that's that's what my father did, and that's the tradition in JC, where I didn't go for elementary school. I went for high school, they did teach Ashkenazick, as I recall. But my school and my kids they all learn Spardak and yes common Shulman wears the couple and Burrough cites some other psuchi masre mosco, mosque Aldal. That's actually that's the name of the safer over Phila Weetenstein, who's the most extreme of the extremists. So Mark says, that's how the buttons are in kittles. Yes, that is I remember that. Barro says, someone commented that buttoning right over left is a shilah for men coppying female buttoning matter. Well, I don't know how they could say how far back does that go? They What this person sent me was that this is because the servant girls they they would since they're right these most of them. That's why the women did it that way. They didn't addressed themselves. I don't know, but you're right. Maybe we should say it's if we do the Hasidic way, it's still busch. Gever David says apropos sexual urges and will probably apocryphal, and again as Pesacker's approaching biolic is quoted as referencing the GM equating eating mats on arab pesach with having relations with one's fiance and when's father in law's home. Biauk noted as one who has done both, I can attest that they are not the same. Okay, I've heard that. Actually, uh Bar says ray yatad versus yasaid. Pronunciation also depends on how you see the name. Okay, that's too complicated here, Oh okay, were yah ted is the stand for yadus tora das and the stiper said to add on namon. So if it's an acronym, then it's correct. I wish I wish that by Nisson Kamenetsky was alive, that I would tell him this. He had much anger against Yate d'amon because they're the ones who apparently, he says, I don't know if it's true, but the hrim on him was not supposed to be public. It was supposed to be sent to him, and uh yeah, Tad got a copy of it and a plastered on the front page, and then it became official before it was actually given approval from Alyoshev to be made public. I don't know if that's true, but being that Yat N'aman was the organ that destroyed him and attacked him on its front page every day for a few weeks and published all the rairems on him, you can see that from nothing Kamenetsky, as with a rabbi not Don Sliffkin, they would not be too happy about your tatnem on. So years ago, when my book on the Thirteen Principles came out, someone in Israel asked me, and I'm not sure if he was being serious or sarcastic or joking. He says, if you want to be put in reiram. I can arrange it because and that will increase sales and make it make it. I said, no, thank you. I don't need to be to be put a harem. And he says, it's actually quite easy. All you do is you you write up a letter saying that so and so was spreading bad ideas you can say about anyone, and you bring it to a few rabbis. Hey, they don't read English, and if you say that someone's spreading bad ideas, they'll sign on to it. And he says it's quite easy to get anyone to sign on to a rairam. And that says Rabbi Komenski pointed out, so with this, Rabbi Kelman, I thought we had more questions. I would have gone a couple more minutes, but I see not how someoney texts me there's a lecture on YouTube ness in the making of a rerem. Yes, he spoke. I think it was like university gave that talk. But I'll give it to you. Rabbi Kellman, and wish first, wish everyone a nice porum. It's been a year. Remember last year this time is when we first recognized and some people didn't go to show it was so Hopefully we're nearing the end.
Speaker 1: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the lecture on zoom, please visit toornmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your favorite podcast app, or even better, tell a friend to give a podcast to listen