Speaker 1: Bill Cunningham, the great American.
Speaker 2: Welcome.
Speaker 1: This floor is Wednesday afternoon. The triscaate. The sun is out, a little bit chilly, not too bad. Red's baseball to then I kicks off about five forty. First, bitch about six forty. The Reds are impregnable. They can't be beaten. They open up about two and six. Since then they have been seven and two with the best record in baseball. Do you believe that? And also, tomorrow's a business special. It won't be with you on Thursday. Back out it again on Friday, but once again. One of the foundations of the development of the city of Cincinnati for the past twenty years has been a group called three C d C, which stands for Cincinnati Center City Development Corporation IE three CDC dot org. You may recall about twenty years ago the powers that be in the city went to Pittsburgh, the home of the Steelers and the Pirates, to pick a young guy named Steve Leeper who had some idea about what to do with city development, and he was hired to come to Cincinnati. After many of the riots that we had, and you might recall that I related to time Charlie Luken and I took a walk up Vine Street and we were stepping over human bodies. There was a movie theaters that were caving in. It looked like Bangladesh And all of a sudden, after twenty years flies by when you have them fund. Steve Leaper has been here since April of twenty zero. Forces been here twenty years celebrating I guess his twentieth year in Cincinnati. And Steve Leeper, welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And Steve, first of all, can you describe to the people the kind of city you found in April of twenty.
Speaker 2: Four Bill, thanks for having me well. I think it was a city that saw a need to make some improvements and invest their capital. And I saw a city coming together because thanks to Mayor Charlie Lucan and ag Laughley, they got together and said we see a need for change, and we intend to take the steps to do so. Think, in particular, the over Line neighborhood was one where the disinvestment was pretty blatant, as you described. I think the settle this investment downtown due to the uncertainty of where Overline was going to go. I think that was his concern to the corporate leadership and that in the elected officials as there.
Speaker 1: The run was because we were going to become Toledo, and God blessed Toledo. I went to law school there, but there was no reasons had to happen. So the powers that be, the corporate leadership, the fifth third Banks to John Barrett's, the Procter and Gambles, and at that point Macy's and others said we can't have this because this is terrible. And so you were hired to do what twenty years ago? What was your mission? What was your mission statement?
Speaker 2: Well, you know they had already through the Cincinnati Business Committee, had done some a lot of work. They had hired HRNA consulting firm out of New York City who came in and assessed the situation and said, you need to focus on three areas. Obviously, you need to begin the redevelopment of over the Rhine, but first and foremost you ought to try to start with your strength and redo Fountain Square. And then they also said, you know, you need to get the banks moving up and out of the ground. And probably I don't I can't remember, but it was about six months into it. Maybe a year quite a year where the county decided to take the banks on its own, which you know, could have been communicated a little better. But you know, when you look back in history, that was as far as we were concerned, that's the best thing could have happened, because it was just too much for you know, a fledgling organization and where you know, we're three guys in a truck trying to get this thing done, and I think it would have taken ours office. Really what was the most important, which was you know, shoring up downtown through reinvestments, starting with Fountain Square and then beginning this sort of difficult task of turning over the Rhine from a blighted neighborhood to a thriving one.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable. Of course, my family goes deep into the roots of Washington Park. You might recall Old Conny William Cunningham was a mortician, he was a resurrectionist, and my family goes deep into Washington Park, which was a burial ground for those who had the diseases from nineteen nineteen but also from the Civil War era. So you looked at Fountain Square that needed serious help, you looked at Washington Park that was a place where police cars are rolled over the bodies of dead homeless women. That wasn't good. And then the banks was kind of a county deal that developed by itself. These things don't happen by themselves. How much total money twenty years. I read an article about you from twenty sixteen that had a billion dollars, and I'm gonna ask about what's going on now, especially now that pay Corps appears to be they've been bought out. What's going to happen with that? We're not sure, But give us the overview of twenty years, how many billions of dollars, how many apartments, how many condos, how many parking spaces? Because if Steve Leeper three CDC corporate leadership and government partnerships, give.
Speaker 2: Us the overview, Steve, it's not because of me. It's because of the corporate community in their commitment and staying with us for twenty years. I mean, this is I'm seeing this in other cities where they are facing a lot of the same challenges we were, even you know, twenty years ago, and they don't have the corporate strength, nor the commitment and the public leadership to form a partnership between the public and private sector. So really this is this is really the corporate community and staying together and the city because this city has been such a great partner. But we've now crossed our two billions dollar that we've invested and or oversaw the management of. And it's a series of buildings. Of course, the civic spaces you talked about, you know, Fountain Square, Washington Park, Siglar Park, Memorial Hall, redoing Music Hall, which was an effort that we took on on behalf of the city, and the Musical Revitization Corporation. We've done you know, three comprehensive residential and service facilities for the homeless, which was the former two of the buildings of the former Dropping Center, and then one is the City Gospel Mission. And we've been you know, we've have hundreds of thousands of square feet of commercial space, and we've been focusing mostly on street level and controlling the street level. And so what you see in over the Rhine is, you know, all those establishments up and down Seine Street are because we felt so strongly that street level and getting the right businesses at that street level is so important in the development of the neighborhood, and you now see that downtown around the old Macy's, the Foundry building and the new one be Sacks, and what we did at the old Masonet site. I mean, these are things that were very intentional and thought through. And fortunately we have the entrepreneurial partners, the restaurant tours, the entertainment facilities, the retailers. Those are the real heroes here because they've We're so unique that we don't have a lot of chain restaurants and so it's very few and now downtown one that I can think of is mccormicky Smith. But other than that, everything and everything and over line is genuine local Cincinnati ones that we should be proud of, and that is not the case in most cities.
Speaker 1: Why is in I guess I could ask why is this not duplicated enough cities? And it's because you don't have the corporate community that Cincinnati has along with the ability of government to get things done. And Steve Laper, you're kind of in the middle. You have a foot in both kingdoms, the public and the private. Looking ahead to the Duke Energy Center into the big hotel, what's the status of that of that as we speak this this Wednesday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the the new renovate, the newly renovated convention Center is on track. It's on budget. We will complete that by the end of the year and the first show will be in their first part of January will be Redcest So we're excited to work with the Reds on that. It will have a public plaza next to it. So what used to be the former Millennium site, we're closing Elm Street permanently north of between dist and six, so that will uh be one law large plaza. We're actually moving bringing a new skating rink to downtown and we're putting what was the skating rink that was on Fountain Square We're moving to the Elm Street plaza because we had used to have to jerry rig that thing into the into Mountain Square and I think this is going to be no more. And then we're going to do a really great winner holiday Christmas like installation is Fountain Square that will be attractive to leave the tree there and just have that what is that two block stroll that you're going to have with with Salazars and the new Flight club that's moving in the Salazan Flight Club. We're moving into the old tracks. We've got Meta's, we've got we've got vintage, we've got you know, the new Mary Gold, We've got the five Iron Golf, all of that along that strip on Fistreet leading to the Davidson and of course Ruby's. Then you get to the Square and then you go through the past messageway near at Soto and Boca and Nigbies, and so we think we got a lot to offer both the folks within Cincinnati, but certainly folks outside of Cincinnati. So the hotel is well on its way. That skating rink will be up in November of this year, and then the Convention Center hotel. Excuse me, we've been tightened through the the high interest rates and construction costs and all those kinds of things, but we're putting our head down. Our goal is to bring a financing package to the city and county by June thirtieth of this year. And we've already started some construction, some environmental work on the site which is right next right across the street from the Convention Center, and then we're going to start We bought that old garage that sits across from the Convention Center has that ramp that goes up and right, Oh, we're going to start. Well, no, that's the post we were at Fourth and The Pope's Garage used to be at Fourth and Race. This one it's called a Wex garage. It's sort of nondescript. It's ugly, but we're going to do a major renovation of it, and that starts in about a month. So things are moving along. Sacks is moving along as well. Pay Court is moving in. They're keeping the name. They are moving in. They're under construction and there we've finished the base building. They're doing their tenant improvements and build out and they should be in this fall. And then of course the two restaurants are under construction as well, so that that building, which was a little bit of a dysfunctional sort of building, is going to turn into a pretty spectacular building that will complement the foundry.
Speaker 1: You got to be glad you got out of Pittsburgh in of this for twenty years. But Steven, we thought about getting to the to the Middle East with your talents. You got the Gaza, you got Hesbala, you got Hamas, got the IDF. You have difficulties with the hostages. Have you thought about broaden your ability to get to the Middle East and solve those problems?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you talk about an international incident and if I went over there, it would.
Speaker 1: Not You do this, You do that. And suddenly, let me share with you an email that I received yesterday when I announced you were going to come on, and you know what you've done for the city. You ought to get the gold medal, You ought to be retired, whatever it is, three C d C, Steve Leeper. But this email says three C d C has overseen the transformation of OTR by evicting and displacing families lived there for generations from underserved working class neighborhood into a playground for the rich and famous. And so no matter what you do, I guess this person thinks you should have kept it the way it was was look like Bangladesh, And.
Speaker 2: So that is it was funny you should say that because we were I was in Saint Louis yesterday talking to corporate leaders. Asked to volunteer to come down and talk to the corporate leaders there. We were scoring over photos of of of the before of early on and they said, well, did you get pushed back and do people thinking. I said, the best way to describe this is is that does anybody think these photos and what that neighborhood look like was acceptable? Is this something as a community we should be proud of? Or is this is something we should change? That neighborhood is a diverse of a neighborhood, though I've seen restaurants there. You walk the people all walks of life. There are people living in affordable housing living right next to conomins. That Washington Park is the most diverse park in the city. That Ziggler Park. We did six hundred swim lessons for kids last year. We ran a summer camp for kids at free, free of charge. We have a swim team over there that we do. I mean to hear that sort of tired narrative is frustrating for me because of all the hard work that my colleagues do, our partners do, our corporate community gives, our city gives the change of a community to make it better. Yeah. Certainly, by the way, could we've done things differently over the last time.
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Sure. The things we stepped on absolutely absolutely, And we are not beyond people challenging us and even criticizing us. Look I got thick skin. I don't really you know, I don't take things personally. On the other hand, it needs to be backed up by facts.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you remind me of the comments of when Teddy Roosevelt about the critics. You always see how the do or deeds have done something wrong? Have you give mess We have about two minutes remaining. Give me the next five to ten years. I assume Steve Lieper, you're going to be there for a while. Don't go back to Pittsburgh. It's terrible. In the next five to ten years. What do you see happening in the city corps, OTR and Washington Park the banks. Give me the plan for the next five years.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the main thing that we're focused on, Bill and this is this is we have a great partnership with the city, the city manager show along the mayor, astab and the city council members. But we are moving aggressively north of Liberty. So if you go up Vine Street as you do, I mean you go from one sort of stage of life to another, and it is a challenge and it looks like we're start all over again. So we closed on the financing a new Crossroads Health center which is presently at the corner of Liberty and Vine, and we are moving it and rebuilding one at the old at the City Rec Center that's near a family market, and we are going to close at the end of this month on a fifty million dollars new community center that's going to be not only a recreational facility, but an educational and a health facility that is going to be serving children in that neighborhood and take some of the things that we do in Zigler Park and moving indoors during the non summer months, and we're going to program with the CRC and a daycare provider. We're going to have eight thousand square for daycare there. So these are the things that we think are serving the community. I think maybe that guy didn't know who wrote that email, didn't know we were getting involved in that care. Yeah, but this is again corporate leadership in this town, raising over ten million dollars in grant money from philanthropic to the Cincinnati stepping up with almost twenty four million dollars. So this again is a public private partnership. It's going to transform that It's right at that corner of Micken and Vine, and it's going to PLoP there and it's gonna I genuinely believe it's going to have major change. And then say two of that will be then housing, all from vying up affordable, affordable home ownership, market rate housing and what I think will be a great blended community.
Speaker 1: Well, it's beautiful. Keep going, don't stop. There are always going to be out there. I lived through the good days, the bad days. This is the best that's ever been that part of town. And before are you aware of my family's deep roots in Washington Park?
Speaker 2: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: I want you to google. I want you to google William Cunningham resurrectionist, and you talk about my family's roots or in Washington Park. This guy was unbelievable. He's my great great great grandfather and he was headquartered in Washington Park in the eighteen seventies. You're gonna love this story. Tell Rudim Miller, tell Joe to William Cunningham, a resurrectionist. This guy is unbelievable and my roots deep.
Speaker 2: Your listener should know that what you're saying is true. I mean that was a popper's grave. Yeah. And when we redid fund Washington Park, we had about eighty one hundred and ninety sets of remains that we reinterned at Spring Growth.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing I had to do, Steve, he was he was a resurrectionist, a body snatcher, and he did it for profit, and so he cooperated with the police. But just look up William Cunningham Washington Parking. The Inquired did a big story on him one hundred and forty years ago. But we got to run Steve Leeper. I'll see, I'll see on the sidewalk somewhere in Vine Street at some point. But please keep doing what you're doing. And once again three CDC dot org and Steve Leaper, the CEO, thanks for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show, the great great great grandson of the resurrectionist William Cunningham.
Speaker 2: Bill, thanks for having me check.
Speaker 1: Check it out. All right, let's continue with more Steve Leeper, And if you have time today, just google William Cunningham, resurrectionist or body snatcher and you'll see in my family's history deep into the soil of Washington Park on news Radio seven hundred WLW I Billie Cunningham, the Grant American. After one o'clock today will be Sheriff Chermaine McGuffey to address the concern she has that you're right to vote for county officeholders is being eroded by the Republicans and Columbus. But then later on two o'clock today, we scheduled Speaker of the House, Matt Hoffman to be here. And as far as getting rid of all these elections for county offices, that as I understand it, there wasn't hearings held, and someone started into a bill that passed the House, and that would mean that the county corner in this case, doctor Samarco, would serve out her term. Then when it was over, the county commissioners would appoint a corner or a medical examiner of their choosing instead of someone selected by you. And of course I've heard this for years that the idea is reforming county government and streamline government, all of which I'm in favor of. I think streamlining is good and reformation generally is good. If something's wrong, make it better, absolutely, But then it takes away the right of the people to vote for those who will, in a sense, govern them in many important aspects of your life. Now, the old system was, it was patronage. These five or six county offices existed so that the patronage system could fully be implemented. So if you were war chairman, you could get a job in county government. Now they're not so desirable because it doesn't pay a lot of money. And secondly, there's many counties are either all Republican or all Democrat. It is rare to have a county in Ohio or Kentucky or Indiana that goes back and forth. And eighty counties in Ohio are completely Republican and about eight counties there's eighty eight counties. Eight counties are completely Democrat. It's hard to get elected in this county if you're a Republican countywide, and it's very hard to be elected as a Democrat in Warren County. Would you agree? So there's been a split politically. So now's the time that conservative Republicans, who I generally support in Columbus want to strike and get rid of county offices in the sense the duties would be done by someone other than an elected person. So Sheriff Charmaine McGuffey will be here after one o'clock to address that, and at two o'clock we've scheduled Speaker of the House Matt Huffman, who's some say the most powerful man in Ohio politics, even bigger than Governor Mike DeWine, who is with you and I yesterday, because he's the one that has a veto proof house, and he was President of the Senate for a few years before that, so he knows where the bodies are buried, all over Allen County and all over Lima. That's where he's from when he went to school that you see, got a law degree from here. And now he's the powerful Speaker of the House who puts in the bill whatever he wants and generally gets it passed, and if the governor doesn't like it, he's got a veto proof majority to override the governor's veto line on in veto, et cetera. So we'll see what happens. But this thing is going to be resolved in the next few weeks because by June the thirtieth there must be a two year budget put forward. And what are we now in the middle of April, so it's about ten weeks away and away we go. Secondly, the news media has worked itself into a soft pretzel, complaining about the behavior accorded to Abrego Garcia, who's not a US citizen. I've heard some media accounts that is the US citizen.
Speaker 2: No, he's not.
Speaker 1: He's a citizen of Al Salvador. He's from Al Salvador, and he was smuggled into this country illegally when he was eleven years old. I'm sorry, when he was sixteen years old in the year twenty eleven, so he was born. That means he would have been born in Whateen nineteen ninety four, nineteen ninety five, something like that. So the guy's about thirty years old presently, came into the country illegally, and as far as we can determine, Abrego Garcia has been in the country roughly for fourteen years illegally, every day that he's been here, and he's worked a little bit of construction. He got married and raising three children, all with disabilities, according to court records, on public assistance including food stamps and housing allowances and Abrallo Garcia denied allegations he's a member of MS thirteen. You and I can't sit here and talk radio to determine if Garcia is a member of MS thirteen or not. Rely upon actually two judges who both determined that he is a member of MS thirteen. He is such an active member in MS thirteen he was ordered deported by a federal judge in twenty nineteen and he said, enough's enough. You've been here illegally now for the last eight years. Get out of the country. His lawyer came up with the idea that judge, if you do that, he'll be killed in El Salvador because he's in the wrong gang. He's not in TDA, he's in MS thirteen. So the lawyers argued to the judge, look, if you order him deported immediately and he must leave the country be flown back, he'll be killed because he's got a well founded fear of gang persecution. According according to his file, and when he made that allegation, he was released from custody. Garcia checked in with ICE yearly while the Department of Homeland Security under Joe Biden, by the way, under Joe Biden, issued him a work permit, but there's no evidence that he worked, although he claims he joined a union and was employed full time as a sheep metal apprentice. He got married to a woman named Vasquez Sura that together. They have a five year old son who is autism, is deaf in one ear and unable to communicate verbally. According to the complaint filed against the Trump administration, they're also raising a nine year old and a ten year old of a previous relationship the mother had with others. One has autism and the other one has epilepsy. All are on government help, getting checks checks in the mail, and at this point, about ten minutes ago, Judge Bosburg, the federal judge having jurisdiction of this case, has held the Trump administration in criminal contempt for not following his orders. Now, the orders dealt with the three planes that were traveling from Texas to El Salvador with several hundred gang one of whom was this Abrego Garcia guy and the other ones when told to turn the planes around over the Yucatan. There's some doubt about the facts on this thing, but the Trump administration said, we don't have the power to turn them around. They weren't US personnel, they were under a contract with US government, and by the time they got to the Yucatan, they were about an hour and a half away from landing. So they just went ahead and landed because the Trump administration says, you don't have the power to tell us what to do with foreign relations. We've worked out a deal with Venice a whale to take back their criminals. We've worked out a deal with El Salvador to take back their criminals. And the president of L Salvador was with the President two days ago who said this, Garcia is a well known member of MS thirteen and he's not going anywhere. He's in our custody. And Trump can ask that I release him, but I'm not releasing the guy. He's our citizen, not yours. He committed crimes in L Salvador, many crimes in America, one of which was coming into the country illegally. He was ordered out of the out of this country. Two judges have said leave the country. You're in MS thirteen. He refused to leave. Then under the Biden administration, as lawyers came up with a gymnastic argument that he fears he's suffering from persecution. Then he got in line with other ones demanding a hearing. And that's where we are today and for the last several days. Just like the Jeffrey Goldberg thing about two weeks ago, he was included on a chain email and listening to some of the plans to bomb parts of Yemen. That was a big media deal for like ten days, and looking to my left, every story on the left wing media. Judge finds probable cause to hold Trump administration and contempt for deporting Venezuela and migrant despite court order to stop planes. And I'm looking at this and I'm saying, how many of real Americans like you and I, actual working, functioning Americans care one twit about MS thirteen. And of course CNN is constantly calling this a constitutional crisis. It's terrible. So they have a chief legal correspondent named Paula Reid every now and then it makes some sense. So is the Trump administration in contempt of court? Is is Donald Trump disobeying a Supreme Court order? Here's the chief CNN legal correspondent, Paula Reid, in her own words, hit it. It's buffering, it's getting ready, it's still buffering.
Speaker 3: President Trump and President of Bukela made it clear that Abregogussia will not be returned to the United States. And despite this US Supreme Court ruling saying that Trump had to facilitate his return. So Are they just ignoring a US Supreme Court ruling, or is the fact that the ruling was so mushy in your words, yes, giving him an opener.
Speaker 4: It's a technical term I learned in Lost Skull Jake mushy look working within the ambiguity that the Supreme Court justices gave them. They did not order the administration to return him to the United States. They said that they need to facilitate this return. They could have said we order him return, but they didn't do that. So she heard the Attorney General. She was being very careful in the oval office, which she was asked, you know, would you help? She says, of course, we'd provide a plane right thereby facilitating whatever else Salvador is doing. The Supreme Court appeared to defer to the executive branch, given that this is an international matter. And you see, yes, it does look a little bit like a cement thic game, but they are playing within the bounds of what the Supreme Court ruled. So no, they are not defying this order.
Speaker 3: And take a listen to how White House Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller views it.
Speaker 5: And a District Court judge tried to tell the administration that they had to kidnap a citizen of L.
Speaker 1: Salvador and flying back here.
Speaker 5: That issue was raised with the Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court said the District court order was unlawful and its main opponents were verse nine zero unanimously stating clearly that neither Secretary of State nor the President could be compelled by anybody to forcibly retrieve a citizen of L.
Speaker 6: Salvador.
Speaker 4: Steven, you got the win.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know why he had to go so far because what he's saying is not completely accurate. I want to talk to the kind I'm all right. So the District Court said that the administration needed to facilitate and effectuate the return of this man Tee, and it states and gave a date. The Supreme Court says, yes, you need to facilitate this, but when it comes to effectuating making it happen, they said this needs to go back down to the lower court. They need to clarify what that meant. And they warned the lower court, you need to be deferential to the executive branch because we're talking about foreign affairs. And they gave no deadline. So again they're not running a foul. But Steven's summary of the case there the holding, it's not exactly accurate.
Speaker 1: All right, Paula Reed, thanks so much. Appreciate it. With so CNN, which is not exactly a Trump supporter. They're not ignoring a Supreme Court order. They are doing what the Supreme Court said they can do or should do. And this has much ado about nothing nothing, but if it's an issue that the mainstream media, of the liberal media can drive through the middle of the American people to divide us, do you want to get on the side of Garcia. He's a gang banger twice, he's been shall we say order to port it. He's here illegally. He's been here illegally for about the last of fourteen years, and he's on public assistance out the walls who ordered out of the country. He's not a US citizen. And where is he now. He's languishing in a jail where he belongs to l Salvador. Now that it is said that he got married, he got married in prison. By the way, it's said that he has children with disabilities. I'm sure the Czechs will keep on coming. But the guy is here illegally. He was ordered out of the country, and he's now in the country of his origin, and he's within the jurisdiction not of Donald Trump. Salvador, and the president of Al Salvador said a couple of days ago, he's not going back. How does Donald Trump comply with this order at this point? What does he do? Kidnap, break into a prison in El Salvador. Nothing he can do. It's amazing to me how all the issues and by the way, all the women that have been raped, the young men and women that are dead from fentanyl traffic by MS thirteen, all the burglaries, all their homes broken into the thousands of crimes committed every few days by MS thirteen and TDA members. That's not important to CNN. What's important is to politically cut the throat of Donald Trump, and they make him look as if he doesn't care about immigrant rights, doesn't care about the rule of law. So he has complied with what the Supreme Court has said he should do. That's not me saying it, it's Paula Reid of CNN. He has complied. He's not ignoring a Supreme Court order. He's waiting for the next order to be litigated. Then he said repeatedly, when the Supreme Court rules, I will comply. At this point point, one little irrelevant left wing federal District Court judge named Boseburg about an hour ago held the Trump administration in contempt. Okay, now what well, it's got to go back up to the US Supreme Court. And who conducts American foreign policy? Is it a relatively irrelevant federal district court judge or is it the duly elected president of the United States. And by the way, Harry Inton, the chronicle of events for CNN, said this morning that if the election were held today between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris, that Trump would win fifty two to thirty eight. And that is popularity is similar to what it was in November of last year. But you watch the media, if you only get your information from CNN, MSNBC, from newspapers, some liberal websites, do you think that the country is in complete turmoil over this Garcia character, this gang banger? Are you your life affected by this? I don't think so. When your ordered out of the country, get the hell out of the country and don't come here in the first place illegally. How many crimes did he commit for the last fourteen years that he's resided in this country. I have no idea, but I'm sure there are many. As an MS thirteen gang member, he did a lot of bad stuff, And of course the argument is, well, he's not been convicted of anything yet yet. But when courts rule, leave the country you're a member of MS thirteen, it's a terrorist organization. Leave the United States of America and go back home, which he could have done on his own. I don't know if he would have been apprehended in Nel Salvador, probably at some point. They're pretty rough on gang members down there now. But nonetheless, he had the option to leave, and he failed to leave. Now he's paying the price. Let's continue with more after one o'clock today, we'll be Sheriff Chermaine McGuffey about the efforts and Columbus to take away the people's right to vote for county offices, beginning with the coroner, and then later on we've scheduled at two of five the man who makes that decision more or less. Speaker mesed our speaker Matt Huffman, who spent many years as controlling the State Senate. He now controls the House of Representatives. When the governor does something he didn't like, he's got the votes to overrule the governor. And so he said he's going to join us at two of five today and anticipate having him here. By the way, his deep connections to the people of Cincinnati. He's from Allen County, the home of the A one A one tank and dearly departed Leonard Rush, the great coach of liem of Senior, where I buy qpie Burgers now and then for the football players. But he spent three or four years in Cincinnati UC Law School. So let's continue with more twelve fifty six, the home of your Reds and the station standing for the rule of law. Once again, Donald Trump is not ignoring a Supreme Court order. On news radio seven hundred, w oughto be. Let's continue now, Bill cunning in the Great America, of course, Reds Baseball kicks off for not about five forty. First pitch about six forty. The Reds open up two and six, and since then they are seven and two, almost unbeatable. And we'll see what happens down the road. But until then, there's been a proposal out of Columbus put into a bill of the House of Representatives that many knew little or nothing about, and that is to eliminate the corner's position in each county. And that means the elected corner here in Hamley County, as you may know, is doctor Lasmi Somarco, who's recognized around the world is perhaps the best medical examiner and the corner not just in Ohio or in the region, but rather in the entire nation, in the world, because she is a great staff, brand new building, great equipment. In fact, whether it's Northern Kentucky, Indiana, or Ohio. Whenever there's an issue about an autopsy or a present preservation of tissue, whatever it might be, to soft crime, doctor Smarker's on speed dial all around the region to assist her. And of course the lawmakers in Columbus may not feel that way. And about an hour we're going to have Speaker of the House, Matt Huffman is scheduled scheduled to be here to talk about his proposal to eliminate the county corners and many to follow. Talk to other Republicans in Columbus and they're telling me that the long term goal will be to get rid of the elections for the Sheriff, the corner, the auditor, the treasurer of the Clerk of Courts and more and have like county government in charge and appointing people joining you and I now as Sheriff. Charmaine McGuffey, the elected Sheriff of Hamley county's been there as sheriff about five about five years, and she's been working in the Sheriff's office about thirty five years in Charmaine McGuffey, Sheriff, Welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And before we talk about the Corner, I want to let the American people know that you started off in the old Workhouse, which was a Civil War facility, as a lowly coo correction officer that didn't have running water, didn't have toilets. And I can imagine a woman about thirty thirty five years ago in the workhouse being the elected if somebody had tapped you in the shoulder when you're working the graveyard shift and these guys are yelling and screaming at you at times throwing inappropriate object if someone said to you, you know, Charmaine, one day you're going to be the elected sheriff of ham in the county. Would you have believed it?
Speaker 7: Oh, I absolutely would have said they were crazy.
Speaker 1: Right, Honestly, tell me, tell me why you wanted to get into law enforcement at all. Go back in time a little bit and tell me why Charmaine McGuffey, female haw Many County sheriff elected. And by the way, you got more votes in the last election than any official in Hamona County, even more than Denise Treehouse. I think I want to bet on that. But nonetheless, tell me why you decide to get a law.
Speaker 7: Enforcement Well, first of all, thanks Bill for having me on. And you know, I grew up in at risk neighborhood, and I grew up right up here in Price Hill, and and you know, a lot of times the kids in the neighborhood we were left to our own devices because our parents worked or you know, or were absent quite frankly. And you know, I learned pretty quickly as a young girl that when you run around in a group of kids, there's always somebody in charge, right, and who that somebody is of that group that's in charge. You're either going to have a good day or you are going to have a bad day. And I decided I wanted to have good days and I don't want to have bad days. So I decided, you know what, I need to be the person in charge because then I'm in charge of my day and I have good days. So I know that, you know, simplifying it quite a bit, but that's exactly why I went into law enforcement, because I said, you know what, I want to help other people have good days. I want to help other people make good decisions and help other people with their lives because quite frankly, I grew up knowing a lot of people that struggled, a lot of kids that struggled, adults, etc. And we have made it better. Our criminal justice system is working. Wow, it's working so well. We're embracing reform and we're making it better.
Speaker 1: As far as the only women women did not get into law enforcement thirty thirty five years ago, well were you? You and Sean Donovan, chief deputy, were kind of working in the workhouse, and now you have a great relationship with him. Side least the sheriff Hamliny County endorse you for sheriff, said Sean Donovan. Did how many other women were in law enforcement when you got in?
Speaker 7: Oh, there was no one really, because the rule up until like early nineteen eighties was women couldn't even apply to be a police officer. I mean you couldn't. You were not allowed to be in a patrol car as a police officer doing those things. And you know, and I was told that. I was told that when I was fourteen by my uncle, who happened to be a Cincinnati police officer, told me, hey, forget that dream, because it ain't happening. I said, well, you know what, I'm going to make it happen. That's a pledge I made to myself. And so when I came on when that law changed, I came on in that first wave of women. Really, there were a lot of us across the United States who said and when I say a lot of us, I mean there was a handful here in this community, a handful in some other community. There weren't that many of us, but we all kind of we we took that first wave out and said, hey, guess what we're here.
Speaker 1: And the rest is history. Let's talk about a proposal out of Columbus. And I don't think I think I know your answer, But I haven't spoken to Jonesy, who's a Richard K. Jones, a friend of yours, and unfortunately he endorsed you, because that could do I could do real harm in Hamlin County. But nonetheless, there's a proposal in Columbus that passed the Ohio House to get rid of the coroner's office and call it a medical examiner appointed by the commissioners. How do you respond to that? As the elected sheriff of Hamley County.
Speaker 8: I'm absolutely alarmed by it.
Speaker 7: I absolutely very much disagree with it. I think that every Republican, Democrat, independent voter should be saying to themselves and others, wait a minute, let's put the brakes on this. What is this all about? Because this is not a good move for any elected official. If obviously we want, we strive to get elected. But the point is in electing us, you're appealing to the people who.
Speaker 2: Are your boss.
Speaker 7: Right, So the people are my boss, and I hear from them, and I respond and so forth. And it makes me a better sheriff. If I only have one person who's appointing me, Guess who I owe the favor to?
Speaker 2: All right, I owe.
Speaker 7: The favor to that person. And when I say favor, I mean favor because then when the person who appointed you says, hey, I want you to tip the scale this way or I want you to do this that way, you know, you really have very little choice and they have the higher fire ability over you. And particularly for these law enforcement in the corner is very very attached to law enforcement, as are all elected officials.
Speaker 8: Law enforcement in.
Speaker 7: Our region depends on independent people, you know, having a checks and balance with each other so that we're not putting our finger on the scale and the public does know the facts and the truth because they elected us and we report to them.
Speaker 1: In fact, there's a movement of foot like in the city of Cincinnati, for example, there's a police chief Fiji who's like in a sense like the sheriff. They also have a division and Cincinnati about roads and that kind of stuff. They want to have a metro government idea, and that is the corner would be or even the sheriff. After your term expires, that would kick in that the Hammon County Commission, I guess the county administrator well would decide who's who's the sheriff, call them the constable, the chief law or whatever, and the prosecutor and all this stuff and you make a great point that a coroner told me that she gets pressure now and then to come up with a certain result on an autopsy. And she says, I own allegiance to the law and to the people. But if you owe allegiance to the county administrator who's calling you to say, hey, I want you to do a certain thing, you kind of feel like you got to do it. So if the county administrator or someone in authority would call Sheriff Charmaine mcguffy and say, Sheriff, I you know, I'd like you to do something, and if you were appointed by that person, you might look at it differently than if you're elected. Correct.
Speaker 7: Oh, and let's factor in the fact that you know, as the person who is elected, I also bring people into the office, as does doctor Somarco. Right, she is going to hire the most qualified, you know, forensic scientists, trace evidence, you know, scientists, and people who really can move the mark for her and make her what she is today, which is nationally recognized. I mean I want people to evaluate how important that is. I mean, you know, I serve on different committees, task force and so forth, and I do so because the people have knocked on my door and said hey, we need you there. Right If they do that, and I'm an appointed person, I can say, nah, no, I don't want to be there for domestic violence. I don't want to be there for organized crime. I don't feel like doing that. And I got to tell you, I've spent forty years in this business, and I honestly have seen you know, people that are appointed to positions just say no, I don't want to do that. And we all know, wait a minute, that does not push public safety forward, and it certainly doesn't give the public, you know, a say. And as I said, it's very very alarming because once they do this with the corner, just as you said, Bill, it's going to go trickle right down to every elected official. And I don't care what side of the aisle you're on. Listen, you want a voice in your government, you do. And I get it that this is a democratic county for the most part. But let me tell you. When I campaigned, I had to campaign to Republicans, I had to go to Independence, I had to go across the aisle, and they had significant questions and they vetted me. I mean, the people that did vote for me from that weren't Democrats. I had to answer to them, and I'm happy to and I'm still answering to people. If I was appointed, I wouldn't have to do that.
Speaker 1: You know, not too many employees of city council or the city administrator is attending community meetings because they have things to do at night. And when you campaigned for office, you listen to what people have to say. And I thought of, you know, you know my conservative party. I'm conservative, not necessarily Republican, and we're the ones that I ought to care about the people's right to vote. Now, wait a minute, the right to vote is kind of important, and I heard that more from the left and the Democrats and the right and the Republicans. But to take away the people's right to vote on county offices that directly control aspects of your life, I think it's the wrong path to take. Secondly, has our corner because of her competency and her staff, the fact she's elected to meet the voters. Has she done things with the sheriff's office that you find remarkabill be good about what she's done?
Speaker 7: Oh, absolutely, beyond the fact that she has invited law enforcement into her facility, which is a fabulous facility that was beyond needed. Right, we go up there, all of us chiefs of police, everybody we meet in her facility, all of us have a direct line to her phone so that we can ask questions. And I'll tell you a quick little story. I had a young man who was a recruit who died and nobody could figure it out. He was running the mile and a half. The young man was in his early thirties, he was in excellent condition, excellent shape, and he died running the mile and a half. And you know, it was unbelievable, just the fact that it happened in the family and just tragic. And the corner's office here, doctor Somarco, because nobody the hospital, there were so many people that couldn't understand why did this man die? And doctor Somarco found it out. She put her finger on it.
Speaker 2: She said it's this.
Speaker 7: She got her scientists involved, and now we are pushing out initiatives to prevent this kind of death. And our police officer academies are around the state and the nation. So you talk about the importance of having a pro in that position, it can't be understated.
Speaker 1: And she told me and I'm going to get her on at some point in the future. That at times it doesn't happen a lot, but she gets pressure to have a ruling, whether it's suicide, homicide, accidental, whatever. And more than one she's gotten calls from important people to saying, you know, it would help us a little bit more if you could do this, Why don't you, Why don't you do that? And and she made the point, Look, I own allegiance to people that put me here to come the best independent objective finding that I can. And if she was unknown, except I can't name many of the medical people pointed by the city of Cincinnatia. I'm sure they're doing the best of what they got. But I know the name Smarco because she's the one elected by I voted for even if she run against the Republic, and I vote for her as I voted for you. And because it's not about politics, it's about a specific job. And if the allegiance is owed to the voter, that's different than the allegiance to the appointing authority. And this thing is the movement. I look across the nation. My Republican friends in Columbus tell me this is the movement of foot to have reform to stream you know, you kind of use these big words dreamline government. It's about reforming. Who's against dreamline guy? I want to I want to streamline government. I like reform here and there, but not this reform. And so if it gets to the day that you are appointed or someone like you's appointed, is that the day you say goodbye.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm going to fight.
Speaker 7: I'm going to fight and fight and fight so that that day does not happen. That I can tell you, and I will tell you this. When you're talking about reforms and cutting government, that exactly That's exactly what we've been doing. I've been on the forefront of these reforms, these criminal justice reforms. And you know who's been at my advisory table. Republicans, Conservatives, independents, people have been at that advisory table. And we have saved money. We are driving crime down, We're making the county safer. And I am doing that because I answer to the public. And when we come to the question of the corner and how important her rulings are, let's just all consider crime for just a moment here, right, Because the way that corner rules and the facts that she finds out because she does just the facts is going to affect criminal criminal trials, whether someone's found guilty or not guilty, or what charge they have that should be a higher charge versus a lower charge. I mean, these are things that the corner tips the scale on that because of her independent review. If you want true justice because somebody has assaulted you, somebody has killed a relative of yours, somebody has murdered someone who you dearly love and care about, you want an independent corner review. You don't want somebody who can call a phone number and say, hey, you owe me a favor. Let's make this look like this. And that is incredibly important. And I tell you there's hundreds hundreds of trials that involve just these kinds of issues.
Speaker 1: And lastly, when you took over, among other reasons, Simon, Lisa endorsed you a Sean Donovan and the first thing you did was have a balanced budget. In other words, you were told you can't balance the budget. We got problems here. What did you do your first year, year or two in office?
Speaker 7: The first thing I did is call the staff together and I said, we have to balance the budget. And my fiscal manager, by the way, said, I don't think we can do it. I said, work as hard as you can to get as close as you can. And we balanced that budget first year, second year, third and forth. And you know, nobody appointed me to do that. The citizens of Hamilton County said this is what we demand, and that is what I responded to.
Speaker 1: Well, let's see what happens in about an hour of Matt Huffman's here. I think he's going to say that you know that they passed it in the House. Now it's up to the Senate and then there's going to be get together with the Senator, with with the Governor. I had him on yesterday and by the way, the governor does not think the county corners offices or county offices should be obliterated the governor, but if he has a line on and veto, it could be overcome. But it's all going to be determined in the next four to six weeks. So let's see what happens. But once again, Sheriff Charmaine mcuffey, thanks for coming on the Bill Cunningham showing good luck and keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Bill, You're a great American.
Speaker 1: God bless America. Thank you, sir. Let's continue with more news coming up next plus Reds Baseball at five forty tonight, plus after two o'clock today, we've scheduled to Speaker of the House Matt Huffman, all in News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: At some point, the foolishness has got to stop.
Speaker 6: Oh hello, quiet, and I'm scos.
Speaker 1: I'm broadcasting.
Speaker 6: Segment.
Speaker 1: You laughed as snickered at me. Why when I said the Reds who were two and six are going to maybe not lose a.
Speaker 9: Game, you were all over what you wanted to get. Francona wanted to get.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't.
Speaker 9: Matt McClean, Austin has Who's who is that? Who is that guy? Who's that guy? Seven to two?
Speaker 1: Now defeated, untied, unscored on.
Speaker 9: Yeah, first time since May of last year. They're over five hundred. The challenge there a game and a half out of first place. Say that again, a game and a half out at first place. On Wednesday, April the sixteen.
Speaker 1: There's been one time in eleven seasons the Reds have had a winning record on May first once? Will this be twice? If it is.
Speaker 2: Put?
Speaker 1: The playoff tickets on sale playoffs, Tell the playoffs. Seg We have a special venditor, a visitor Frank Ziebel of a c R.
Speaker 9: Gunny Pools and spas well. You know what that means. You got to play a song. He's got the walk up here, you got the song.
Speaker 1: But I kind of love what you're doing with doggies because Schnorf Peanut had. Of course we did that, and you had little Rainy. You had things. And it's one when you kept what name your dog? Segment Emma and Zoobie, tell here we go, here we go. Tell me how the first time you got your president dog, you went through a living hell. Doctor Peter Hill took carry and then you went through it and then you found another dog.
Speaker 6: Explained that story.
Speaker 1: If a man loves dogs, he's a good man.
Speaker 5: Bill.
Speaker 6: Right now, we're running a new special.
Speaker 10: We've partnered up with Adopt a Pet, Adopt the Pit. Excuse me, Adopt the Pit Rescue. It's an all breed dog rescue comprised of all volunteers. All you gotta do is rescue a dog. They're in need. These dogs are overcrowded from overcrowded shelters and they need a new home. Rescue one of these dogs and get seventy five hundred dollars off a gunnight swimming pool and we'll buy the food for the first six months.
Speaker 1: And because of your love for dogs, especially adopted dogs.
Speaker 10: Save the dogs. These dogs are more important than most people I meet. Pardon the expression, well.
Speaker 1: A good dog. Dogs are better than human beings. I've always said that, would.
Speaker 6: I agree one hundred percent.
Speaker 10: I've got a dog by the name of Raine, and we saved her during the hurricane in South Carolina.
Speaker 6: She's a fan tastic dog.
Speaker 1: You've gone the story of how you found rain or Rainy found you, because I know in my case, magazine found me. Came into the garage.
Speaker 6: It's crazy.
Speaker 10: I was sitting at my desk at five thirty in the morning in Cincinnati and we have a ring camera on the front door at our home in Hilton Head, And next thing I know, I get a post anybody does this dog belong to anybody? And there's Rainy sitting at a front door. We got fifteen inches of rain in two days and forty fifty mile an hour winds. So I text back, I said, Hey, if nobody, if nobody claims that dog, I'll save the dog.
Speaker 1: Describe Rainy. What is Rainy?
Speaker 6: A mixed rain She's a mixed breed, but she's a little terrier.
Speaker 10: Weighs twenty twenty pounds, twenty two pounds.
Speaker 1: Male or female? Female, female. In trouble.
Speaker 10: She was in trouble. She had an intestinal infection. She was she had heartworm. She spent the first two days at an urgent care. She spent eight days at at a veterinary clinic chap.
Speaker 1: She was outside.
Speaker 6: Mainly she was outside. She was a mess.
Speaker 10: Every time the wind blows ten miles an hour, she scared the death of wind.
Speaker 1: Where'd your dogs come from? A shelter? Or where Emma came from?
Speaker 9: My step daughter Willie My they called one day from well, I mean they they found her, found her and said, we have a new addition to the family. I thought, uh, Emma male female, They go female, I go not transgender or something like that.
Speaker 1: It was Emma.
Speaker 9: And then uh, then Rachel got Zuomi found him in along the road in Florida.
Speaker 1: Nothing better tell me that Rainy nurse back to health.
Speaker 6: Nurse back to health.
Speaker 10: She's in South Carolina as we speak with my wife, Elizabeth, and.
Speaker 1: The lovely Elizabeth. It used to be a manager for Macho Man. Is that the same Elizabeth. That's the same Elizabeth years later. And so because of your love for dogs, we hooked up with what is the web is Adopted Adopted.
Speaker 6: Pets, Adopt the pitt. But it's for all breeds.
Speaker 10: Adopted Adopted Pitt Rescue UH Upper aided by a lovely lady. She's an attorney by the name of Channing. Her and her husband. Her husband's a dentist, lawyers and they they they do a great job saving dogs.
Speaker 6: And these dogs need help.
Speaker 10: You know, most people won't help themselves, but these dogs need help. And we we we partnered with them, and we're going to give seventy five hundred dollars off to anybody that will rescue a dog that wants a gun.
Speaker 6: I eat pool rescue.
Speaker 10: The dog will build the pool, the kids and the dog will now have a pool to swim in.
Speaker 1: Wonderful.
Speaker 6: It's a right there.
Speaker 1: Curse the darkness. You light a candle. Absolutely, yes, sir, my boy, and I am gonna go down to the dog pound. Forget who was the head of the dog pound long time, or forget his name, called him? I know who you're talking about. Yeah, go down there. We go through a bunch of cages. Evan said, there she had a little Snorfy named after the law firm of Schnorf, Schnorff and Snorf. I practiced law with David Snorf Senior and Junior and Brandon Schnorf, Snorff and Snorf. It's truth.
Speaker 6: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not. Why are you laughing? Snorf Snorf. I love it, And so I called the dog Snorf. And then all of a sudden, one two years later, here comes little Mazine is hiding in the garage, left the garage open all night. This dog is shaken behind the ladder and Camargo woods and I want to take her to the pound. Penny got her out better other than I got her going. By the time I got home, I couldn't let her go. And then peanut heead shows up. What do you do with the peanut head? The peanut head showed up on the back porch. Now I got peanut head. Then fur ball came. The cat shows up on the front porch. I called the cat the fur ball, and then Hunter, another cat came. I went through five and now I'm down to zero, which is the way I like it, because you can't. It's hard to hip. But I would never get a dog unless it was the rescue dog.
Speaker 10: Well, and we're going to bring one to you, Bill, and we're going to build a small pool in your backyard for you and the judge.
Speaker 1: What I want to do is get a flying pig back there. And also, mister big boy, Penny says, if mister big boy shows up in the front lawn eight foot high, mister big boy rotating, She's out of there. She says, she's gone.
Speaker 6: What about Piper, your son's dog, Piper? I love Piper's doing good.
Speaker 1: Piper's doing good thanks to dog. Urs back to health.
Speaker 6: That's goodness.
Speaker 1: Son of the family goes away, drops off the Piper. Within two days, Pipers down, I call you, who do you use? Go to doctor Peter Hill and Blue Ash Road. Within two days the dog he had a pancreat titus and something else. Within two days tails wagon. I did not want to happen on my watch, to have a little Piper have a bit on my watch. That would be a negative.
Speaker 6: Correct, that's correct. Piper's a good dog.
Speaker 1: Good dog segment. Give me some sports. If you don't mind, will leave the Stuote reporters of pro service.
Speaker 9: Every local Thamestar Heating air conditioning dealers tamestar well that you could feel in beautiful northern Kentucky called Johnson Heating Cooling eight five, nine, four, seven, two sixty fifty one spots. Bryce Miller up against Nick Martinez tonight, Willie is the Reds look to make it two in a row over those Seattle Mariners.
Speaker 1: You laughed at me, seg Man, You snicker.
Speaker 9: Five forty Sports Talk RNL Carriers, Insight Pitch, Kelsey, Chevrolet Extra Inning Show after the game at the Reds of one four in a row, as people know, six and the last seven, nine and eight on the season, first time since May one of last year. Good that they are over five hundred. Austin Hayes became just the third Red since nineteen twenty. Who Austin Hayes?
Speaker 1: Who was president of nineteen twenty?
Speaker 6: That's Hoover, You answer that, Hoover?
Speaker 1: No leive me a hint. Well, his wife was named Edith, right after the Archie Bunker. No One, Archie Bunker Woodrow Wilson, You fool Archie Bunker. I don't know well. His wife was Edith.
Speaker 9: He became just the third Red since in nineteen twenty, I have four plus RBIs in his team debut, he joins Ryan Lavarney, EH Lavarnway.
Speaker 6: Eh.
Speaker 9: Ryan Lavarnway was six and twenty nineteen. I don't remember him at all?
Speaker 6: Do you say it?
Speaker 1: In twenty nineteen, twenty ninety, nineteen, nineteen nineteen, right, twenty nineteen, Mike Mustakas remember him? He was a bust, he had four in twenty twenty he was complete. And you've been all over the Reds Bullpennant Right now, it's fifth best in the majors with a two point nine to six ERA. Are you done yet? You've been done for years.
Speaker 9: Bengals update brought to you by Good Spirits at Party Town thirteen convenient locations in northern Kentucky. The Bengals have brought back free agent quarterback Logan Woodside on a one year contract.
Speaker 1: What was nav of a guy in twenty nineteen that at six harby Ice Ryan Lavarnway. Ever hear him? Frank No, never heard of him.
Speaker 9: College football, Detroit, Michigan native Jeremiah Gray is committed to the play football for the Bearcats six foot seven defensive lineman six foots out of play basketball. I was going to say, speaking up basketball, Chris Mack. It's to Charleston Land, Cincinnati Bearcats transfer guard to Connor Hickman.
Speaker 1: Really is.
Speaker 9: He had a foot injury, limited time with the Bearcats, but another Cat is moving on and.
Speaker 1: Richard Patino of Xavier has the tenth most money to spend in nil Xavier is rich because of alumnus donating money segment? Are you donating money to NKU?
Speaker 9: Former Bearcats guard to Dan Skillings Junior? Are you giving money to Xavier?
Speaker 1: I can't say.
Speaker 9: Can't say either. Dan Skillings Junior is staying in the Big twelve. He's going to be playing the Bearcats. Dan Skillings Junior went to Baylor helm of the Bears. Let's see former Miami and Xavier guard Camkraft is going to play his college basketball at Georgia Tech. The Ramblin wreck is here related to John Craft? No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: How do you know? I'm just guessing and one of themok, like you do one little fact toys segment?
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Between now and May twentieth, the Reds will not play a team with a winning record correct, So at some point goofy.
Speaker 9: This next road trip is is are they going next Baltimore, Miami and then Colorado? So they could be there. There's the first trip was Milwaukee to San Francisco. This is Baltimore, Miami, Colorado, so it could be eighty five and ninety degrees in Miami. Then then they go to twenty degrees and snowing in Denver. And by the way, Colorado stinks. Are you where that? Yes, they do, so does the Avalanche. By the way, they stink too, Yeah they did there.
Speaker 6: I think they have a pool at the stadium though in Colorado.
Speaker 1: Did you put that in frank Zia Belta ice hockey rink, then you can put it in. Yeah, it's in the right center field, right center fore that in there. She said, do it maybe a belly flop like John Belushi. Yeah, put one of those at the GABP or something something ACR highpool outside of Great inside Great American ball Way swim this year. Yeah.
Speaker 10: I'm not sure Phil wants a pool in the Great American Ballpark, but we've talked about it.
Speaker 1: Phil Castelini may approved. What about Bengal, He might approved a pool. Wouldn't that be something in the summertime, would be something put what a TQL stadium? Every time they score, you jump in the pool.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: Let's talk to him, Talk to He's got plenty of room there. Next door they had that big hotel and convention center going like crazy. By the way, we have the Speaker of the House coming up in about fifteen minutes, so segment get ready for him. Mike Johnson, No, oh, Ohio, Speaker of the House. What's his name? I'm gonna tell you you don't know. I'm not gonna tell you. I don't know who. No idea, Mike Johnson ran the Olympics? Is that the same guy from Atlanta.
Speaker 9: That's the Speaker of the House for the United States?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did? I don't think so? His name is Mike Johnson, though, isn't it. I think so. You didn't think I knew that?
Speaker 2: Did you?
Speaker 1: You don't know very much. I'll try you one more time. Who didn't give me this president? Who was president in twenty nineteen? That was Donald Trump?
Speaker 2: What it?
Speaker 1: Yep? You're right. I hate to tell you that, Steve, You're right, real good job once again. Frank Zibel locator adopt a pit Rescue dot org. And it's any breed, any breed. Some people don't like pitbulls, save the dogs. Some people love them. But you know, whatever it is, it is. I mean, if Seg was in a dog pound and somebody go to take a pet home, would they take home Seg? Do you think I think they would Seg? What do you think if you're behind bars you got to adopt a Seg? Would that be you? I got a big enough rear end and I could, I could shake it, shake it, save a dog and get a gun et pool ac organ eight pools, adopt a pit rescue dot org and also you six months of food. That's you've done today, and adopt a pit rescue dot org and they'll connect you.
Speaker 10: All breeds, all kinds of dogs. Over two hundred dogs too, they have to how many dogs they have? Over two hundred dogs, two hundred dogs. They need your help. Got to get them out of there, got to get him out of there. I'm gonna keep this for a while with your permission, Yes, sir, I'll do it. Adopt a dog and six.
Speaker 1: Months of free food. Right kind of food too, that's right. The best Segon feeds. You know, the dog's off the table, and you can't do that. You gotta have the right kind of dog food, right segive pork chops and bones. He gives them hot fud Sundays. You can't do that.
Speaker 9: Sometimes Sometimes Frank's eyebels gone for better see it?
Speaker 1: And coming up next, we think we have the speaker of the House. I'm gonna call him. Name is Matt Huffman in Columbus. He's got more power than the governor. He thinks. We'll see what happens. Segment get me out of the Stude's Report, Please will he?
Speaker 9: In honor of Frank's eyebell and acr gun eyed pools call today swim this year, we leave you with the immortal words of the Stood Report.
Speaker 11: Our job every day is to try to kick somebody's ass. I mean, that's why we're here. That is segment.
Speaker 1: Tito Francona Tito also known as Terry, who was the manager of Michael Jordan and also a teammate and played under Rose hit kick. Think about that. Nineteen eighty seven Francona played for Pete Correct and then then he managed Michael Jordan in the minor league Barons. Yep, how about that?
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Let's continue with more segment. Thank you, yes, sir, Let's continue with more. Bill Cunningham News Radio seven hundred WULW.
Speaker 6: Fordham Point.
Speaker 1: By Billy Cunningham. The Great America, of course. Reds Baseball kicks off about five forty tonight. The Reds are unbeatable and right now they're game and a half out of first. They have been winning record for the first time in about a year. That's good stuff. But the last few days we've been dealing with what's going to happen to the Bengal funding, the Browns funding, and also more. The governor was with us yesterday. Mike Dwine have on Adam Byrd, We've had on a senator Blessing or Scott Sloan dead. Now we're going to go to the top. The guy in charge of the House of Representatives and Columbus is representative of Matt Huffman. He's got deep connections to Cincinnati, went to UC law school. He also was a good friend of Leonard Rush before Leonard passed away. I have deep connections to Lineman Senior. Spoke to the boys up there, bought theom some QBI burgers, and right now we're going to get the answers. Some say he's the most powerful man in state government because when the governor does something he didn't like, he can overrule the governor's veto and the Speaker of the House, Matt Huffman, Welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show and Speaker. First of all, let's talk. Time is always limited. Some in Cincinnati were concerned that you were giving significant money to the Cleveland Browns and not to the Cincinnati Bengals. The Governor yesterday and also Adam Burgh laid out the differences. Can you tell from the Speaker's office the differential between the Browns deal and the Bengals deal? Will one be funded and one not funded?
Speaker 8: Well, the Browns actually came to me two years ago with a request for cash for the stadium. I said, no, I didn't think that was appropriate. I said, come back with the plan where the tax payer will be held harmless. And the plan basically that they have laid out. This is a three point six billion dollar economic development plan. But the plan is they have it laid out with new taxes attracting what would have already been there, and the cost of the bond is actually over twenty five years about a one point three billion dollar money maker for the state. Now, everybody needs to go and look at the information and be convinced to that themself. So that's a lot different than putting up money, which is as I understand it. And I did meet with the Bengals and Commissioner Dridhouse a few months ago or weeks ago, and basically they're they're talking about a three hundred and fifty million dollar cage upfront money, which is similar to what the Browns were trying to do a couple of years ago. And I don't support that. I don't think the public supports it. I do support, you know, it's something similar that if the Bengals and the City of Cincinnati and the county and you know, can can come together with similar kind of plan, we ought to consider doing that where the taxpayers are held harmless or in the case of the Browns, they can actually make money.
Speaker 1: So, mister speaker, you're saying, as we sit here about two twelve pm on Wednesday afternoon, April the sixteenth, you don't have in your hands a written deal between the Bengals and the county where the state would fill in a piece unlike the Browns deal that Jimmy Haslim and his family. I understand it's putting up fifty million bucks off to the side anyway, just as a security deposit. Fifty million And right now there's no revenue coming out of that one to two hundred acres in southern Callihooa County. And but when this deal is done, the taxpayer will make one point three billion according to the plan. And that the plan. There's no plan for you to think about at this point. Am I correct in saying that from Cincinnati, right?
Speaker 8: I mean I met with them. I think it's all people smart, people of goodwill, and I think they're trying to come up with something. I think, you know, to the again extent that the state can help participate in that. I mean, it's a different kind of plan. This is the three point six billion. Two point four billion of it is private money. The state money is six hundred million through the sale of bonds and paid back over twenty five years. So it's a completely different thing. So, you know, I think if the folks in southwestern Ohio can get invented, but it doesn't just happen in a meeting. Everybody has to sort of say, here's what we're willing to do and piece it all over. And I think if they're willing to do that, I'm certainly willing to sit down and talk with them. I'm sure Governor of the Wine is too.
Speaker 1: The governor said yesterday that on air that well, in adition to those two, we have the Guardians, we have the Reds, we have minor league baseball, we have some horse racing track, we have Ohio State University. He made it look as if, well, if we raise taxes, will be able to do it. He said yesterday that he supported ray. He called them fees. Someone might call them taxes on gaming, on marijuana, and on cigarettes. Do you support an increase in fee slash taxes on any of those three items.
Speaker 2: I do not.
Speaker 8: We took those out of the Governor's proposed budget. Increase, especially on the sports gambling, would pretty much end the sports gambling and income to the state as far as I'm concerned. We lost actually a lot of folks participating that when we went from ten percent to twenty percent, some of the smaller book level B book making places did not happen. If we go to forty percent, the public finds its way around that, and our revenue would stop to drop. And don't forget El Door Speedway in Dark County. It's also a larger sports facility too.
Speaker 1: As far as marijuana, I was told by those in the business that the governor's plan to increase from ten percent to twenty percent would drive the marijuana consumer, of which I'm not one, into the dark market. And this year there's going to be about a billion dollars in total revenues in marijuana that's out of the pockets of drug dealers, which I like greatly. I don't think marijuana is a real healthy pursuit for someone, but nonetheless I'd rather have the state and legitimate thousands of employees work then kill the business. Is there a sense that, you know, pigs gets fed and hogs get slaughtered, and that if the governor has his way and he goes from ten to twenty percent, marijuana suddenly gets slaughtered, the drug dealers make more money and the state doesn't get its cut.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you know. Ronald Reagan said the more you tax something, the less you get of it, and the higher the rate, And that's what's happened. That's why we took the House took all of the taxes, all three that you mentioned out of the budget, and people will avoid paying the tax where they can. And you know, there are probably some people in Cincinnati, Ohio who go to Kentucky to buy there at tobacco, right yep. But other people will find other places to buy to buy marijuana or tobacco, and at some point the tax is so high that these other whether it's a black market, but it's even things more benign. I mean with sports gambling, you can have buddies all over the country and they throw their five thousand bucks in for the year and they all bet based on what whoever's got the best line in their state. So it's it's not something where you can control it. It's not a closed market.
Speaker 1: So if these stadiums moneies, the governor's plan is to have the stadium moneys come out of the out of the gaming and out of marijuana and cigarettes. To demand in charge of the legislature, that is not going to happen, not through raising taxes.
Speaker 8: Now, if somebody looked at us and said, let's dedicate a portion of the current gambling revenue, which is up to close to a billion dollars a year. We have some other suggestions about additional gambling in our budget that the Senate is going to review when it goes over.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: I don't think it can be just about sports stadiums. There's other cultural facilities you've got, you know, symphony orchestra Hall in Columbus River Bend. There may be a whole additional other things. But I do think that there has to be significant local buy in. I think if you can design a plan like the Browns have, where the state taxpayers are not only held harmless, but we make money off of the deal and bill. The reason we're making money is we're acting like the bank. We have great credit rating and we're making money from them using our credit rating. It's cheaper for them to going into the private market. This is an Ohio business, right Yeah. And so we're making money because we're the people who are issuing the bonds. And that's and of course the taxes that are created as a result of the.
Speaker 1: Effort, mister Speaker, is time of the essence. The Bengals want a deal by June thirtieth. Of course, the state budget it's a two year buy an him. It's two years June thirtieth we're ten weeks out. I have a the Bengals and the County aren't close. I have a sense that they're still going back and forth because each party doesn't trust the other. The Brown family doesn't trust the county, and the county doesn't trust the Browns, so they got a third party involved. They're going back and forth, back and forth. Is time of the essence must to be a deal by June thirtieth. Do you have the state participate?
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, I mean to have the state participate as part of this budget. But I guess if there's a plan, you know, as we'd like to say, I'd love to see the plan, right, but I don't know what that is. I'm it's you know, it took the Browns two or three years to get to the point where they are now, with people like me saying no, I'm not going to give you six hundred million dollars for a stadium. So if the Bengals are that far along, and and by the way, other folks have shown up and said I want you gave money to Browns and I told them the same thing. You know, you can develop a plan where the taxpayers are held harmless or make money you know, I would participate and I'd support that.
Speaker 1: The issue of the county corner. I speak to doctor Somarco, I think some fabulous person. And there was a part of your bill that eliminated the county corners offices in the various counties. Can you address yourself to that? And that just begins the process of not electing the sheriff, not electing the honor the treasurer, coming out of the old patronage system. Where do you stand on eliminating county corners.
Speaker 8: So in December there was a lot of press to push the increase in local elected pay, and those things, unfortunately sometimes happened in the dead of night, you know, the last session of the year. And when that came to us, a lot of folks are saying, how about some local government reform. There's actually the statute says some of our local officials only have to be in the office one out of ninety days, believe it or not. And so some would say, how about we have some local reform. And one of those was the concern that in many counties there is no doctor who's running for coroner, or sometimes a doctor runs for corner. They're paid as a coroner, but all the work is done by someone a pathologist who's hired from another county. So there were a number of things that we actually wanted in terms of local government reforms. Some got in, some didn't. And you know, I certainly think the other jobs that you mentioned does all need to be elected as well as judges. You might ask, really, why does a coroner need to be elected in the first place. Why isn't this someone that the county commissioners would hire. So I don't think it's that big of a deal from the standpoint of the House. It was just one of the few surviving local government reforms that were part of our tax pay or our local pay official package.
Speaker 1: I have a text here from a noted county official who says the following to me. County officials have the ability now to appoint corners in county that don't have a corner, and that's according to the High Revice Code. So if you're in a large county like Ohio maybe you know, or like Hamilton County Franklin, Kio, would you split off from those counties that don't have a corner and let the current law stand, which is you're going to elect the corner. But then each county still has the ability to appoint corners from other counties that can serve as more or less the acting corner. You know what I'm saying. Are you saying, how do you stand on that issue?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm aware of what the law is. The point is that someone gets appointed because they don't run. In one county, we actually have a chiropractor who is the county corner because they ran, they're qualified to do that. I think under the new rule they wouldn't be qualified. But the point is whether they're elected or appointed because no one will run, you now have a county corner who's getting paid to be the county corner who may or may not be actually doing the job of the county corner. Right, So do we want someone where nobody runs? Somebody gets appointed, they get paid. But we got to go to Cincinnati every time we got to do an autopsy because that's where the pathologist is. So there should be at some point we look at some of these local elected offices and say, really, you only have to show up one out of ninety days, couldn't be one out of thirty or something like that. So that's really all this is and you know, obviously in many counties there's a long time elected, serving coroner who does a wonderful job who probably would get hired by the commissioners under the current law. So could you yeah, that's really what it is.
Speaker 1: Are you saying this is going to stay in in that what's going to happen? Like doctor Lasmi Somarco as a world class facility built and she runs unopposed, and she wants to keep the elected system. And as a voter every now and then, I like to say, you know what, I like to vote for this. There might be an issue in the future where you throw the bombs out or keep the bombs in. What do you say to those counties that are happy with the president system and don't want.
Speaker 8: To change, Well, I think I think they should call Senator Bill Blessing is a really smart guy and asking what he thinks about it. But the point is that, you know, under that thinking, we could have a lot of war elected officials at the county level, not just the ones that we have now. And but yeah, I mean I think in some counties where you know, obviously they have somebody's elected that is important to them, it's one of these things that's probably and what I think is an extraordinarily ambitious budget bill that we just passed, not a big issue that I'm willing to die on the hill for. And we'll see what the Senate says.
Speaker 1: Is it going to change? Because the way it works, you and the House put your deal, The governor sends you a thick proposal, you go through it, you pass something. Then you give it to the Senate, they go through it, they pass something. Then you have a committee together, get together, and you talk to the governor. All that's going to be done next seven or eight. And one thing about electing the corners, that the corners beholding the people, not the appointing commissioner. And when I have on doctor some markers, you'll say he now. And then I get pressure to do certain things. And I can tell individuals I'm not appointed by some person. I work for the state of Ohio. And that's the way it ought to be, and that sometimes sometimes the system works. Is this a problem looking for a solution or is this a solution looking for a problem.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I think it's a fair argument. I don't know that. And there are some odd things in the code about the coroner's the only person in the county who can arrest the sheriff. It kind of reminds me of old Star Trek episode. You know, I'm a doctor on a guy who can remove the Captain Kirk, right, But I just I think what it is is, again, in many counties they don't have a doctor who's even doing this. So why are we appointing someone who's not doing any work because we can.
Speaker 2: And of course that.
Speaker 8: Doesn't mean because they're appointed they're not doing a lot.
Speaker 1: Right, But it is an issue. And lastly, i'd encourage you to talk to doctor Somarco and others before you change the law to see how it applies on the ground. And lastly, you have about a minute remaining. There's an our article in the inquire about one hundred million dollar cut on public education. CPS is concerned, Love when schools are concerned. Deer Park schools are concerned. You're the guy in charge of the budget. Is there going to be a cut to public education?
Speaker 8: Number one, Every school district in the state of Ohio received an increase in funding from the state. That's first. Secondly, there are many school districts that have in access of twenty five percent operating fund that they are carrying over from year to year. Some of them are forty, some of them are fifty, some of them are one hundred percent. And what we actually said is, look, you can carry over thirty percent of your operating funds. The rest will be applied to tax, real estate property tax cut to the folks who are in your district, those real estate tax payers. And to me, it's the number one issue that people have talked to us about is skyrocketing real estate taxes. Right now, those those are and the simple issue is that money, if it's not being used, should be in the hands of the taxpayers and they're checking account, not the school district's checking account. Now, lots of folks say, well, gee, we're going to build a build, Okay, well, then put all that out of your operating fund, which by the way, the employees won't like because they like to collectively bargain for that money. But put it all the way, make a plan so the public understands. But you know, the City of Columbus School District, for example, they're carrying over four hundred million dollars forty six percent of their I mean and We had somebody come down testify from one of the districts and she said, look, you know, we've taken this extra money and we've invested it and we've made eight million dollars for the school district. Well, don't you thinks the people who gave you the money, they'd like to make the eight million dollars instead of you making the eight million dollars. So that's all it is. Now, if collectively people can add up numbers and say one hundred million dollars, look at every school district. My death is the City of Cincinnati school district isn't carrying over more than thirty percent? Maybe they are, and look and see, and most of the high tax districts like this are the ones that are growing. We're property valued. So the school districts in Butler County valuations have shot up, lots more money coming in. The state has made record increases under the cup Patterson Plan the last two budgets and five hundred and fifty million dollars the school districts this year. So it's not going down. These these operating carryovers are going to continue to go up. All we're saying is let's let the people who are paying the taxes of some of their money back, at least temporarily while we try to figure out the property taxes.
Speaker 1: Are you willing to meet with doctor Somarco to get her perspective on why this idea might not be a good one By getting rid of the.
Speaker 8: Corner, I'd be delighted.
Speaker 1: I'll send you. I'll send you her number to your staff, and let's see if you can work it out. You'll be impressed with her, well, Speaker, Matt Huffman, thank you, and made Leonard Russia rest in peace. I bought many a Qpie Burger when they beat Elder in the state football game. And I'm glad you're more or less a Cincinnati and but keep us in mind whatever you do, just think of Cincinnati the most important city in the state of ohiouldn't you agree?
Speaker 8: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Speaker, thank you very much. We'll do it again. God bless you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. We'll see you. Ay bye.
Speaker 1: All right, let's continue with more. Bill Cunningham News Radio seven hundred WULW. Our job every day is to try to kick somebody's ass. I mean, that's why we're here.
Speaker 2: Hello, quiet, I'm broadcasting.
Speaker 1: God segment. Your reaction. We're here to kick ass and take names. Like to dis like this program like Rowdy Rodney.
Speaker 11: Every day is to try to kick somebody's ass. I mean that's why we're here.
Speaker 1: He's there to kick ass and take names. The Seattle know what's coming tonight.
Speaker 9: Uh, let's see, will Ye they got the Freedel McLean, DLC, Hayes, Lucks Steer Ces the Snake Trevino, which snake, Jake the snake Freeley.
Speaker 1: Okay, well once again talking about their record segment two and six now seven and two over five hundred after tax day? What do you think about that segment?
Speaker 6: Willie?
Speaker 9: The stood reporters of Proud Service, every local time Star heating and air conditioning dealer, thame Star quality. You could feel on the east side called Clement's Heating there at nine three seven four four four forty four zero one spots and those reds are going at it again tonight, Willy is, Let's see who is it?
Speaker 1: Uh, Bryce Miller.
Speaker 9: We'll go up against Nick Martinez five forty Sports Talk, Arnell Carriers Inside Pitch and then Kelsey Chevrolet ext rating show after the game.
Speaker 1: Is Bryce Miller related to Bryce Harper I don't think so. I go ahead.
Speaker 9: Cincinnati's won four straight, six of seven, nine and eight on the season.
Speaker 1: What about that segment there?
Speaker 9: You'll go above the five hundred mark for the first time since May one of last year, may Day, may Day, there is second place in the NL Central a game and a half back of front running Chicago segment?
Speaker 1: Do you since nineteen ninety as I predicted it my great speech at the Holy Grail again and again, and they.
Speaker 9: Not go wire to wire. But it's looking good right now. Austin Hayes became the third read since nineteen twenty to have four plus RBIs in his team.
Speaker 1: DEVUW What about that?
Speaker 9: Joining Ryan Lavarnway with six and twenty nineteen and Mike Mustakas the Moose with four and twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Is he still out by the way a baseball er?
Speaker 2: Is he in?
Speaker 1: I think it? No, he retired. I think Musakas is out. How much money did you make from the red something like thirty million twenty and didn't do too much do anything?
Speaker 9: Red's bullpen been ostracized around here for the past twenty years? Does it as Tony Pike is the one after the Reds bullpen and mo fifth best in the majors now at two point nine six e r a two point nine six e or you know what? I like Ashcraft in that role? Do you like that he looks impregnable? And then well, of course Alexis DZ walked two guys, but he got out of it. But and then Pegan is doing a good job. Sant Santion is doing good. So what do you think?
Speaker 1: And the starting pitchers may not be able to get get in the starting rotation anymore.
Speaker 9: They're kicking you know what and take names.
Speaker 1: Maybe I should go back down segment and through some batting practice.
Speaker 9: Let's just wait for a couple of months until they get about twenty over and then you can kind of go back down there. We don't want to jinx anything with your pregame speeches. You know what happened, didn't what happened the last time you had a pregame speech, didn't Maderra lose by forty, didn't go well?
Speaker 1: Bengals up Deer Park football at Madeira. The locker room is right there. I went and told those boys where they came from, where they are and where they hoped to be. I told them the manifest destiny lies ahead. This Carlett and the Gray will never fail us. And they're looking at you like, who's this kook? Please continue.
Speaker 9: Bengal's update brought to you by Good Spirits been Party Town, thirteen convenient locations in northern Kentucky. Bengals have brought back free agent quarterback Logan Woodside gets a one year deal with for the twenty twenty five season.
Speaker 1: Is he your land? To Logan Wilson No.
Speaker 9: Originally a seventh round pick at the Bengals in twenty eighteen, he was on the practice squad all of last season.
Speaker 1: I had on the speaker, missed a speaker, Matt Huffman. Yeah, what's he saying?
Speaker 9: Well, he's still out the dough, the ray and the mee coming to town from the state of Hio.
Speaker 1: Not coming from the general fund. But he said, if the county and the Bengals put together an extensive package, a deal, deal that doesn't cost the taxpayers any money, underlining that one, yeah, and he we'll look at it. Let's break that. Let's break down that sentence with uh. He said, the idea of us issuing a check to the to the Bengals for three hundred million dollars plus out of his mind. Na babanah nah nah, not babanah nah nah, noah babanah. Let's see college football.
Speaker 9: Scott Sanderfield's got a new new recruit, Detroit, Michigan native Jeremiah Gray's gonna play defensive line. He's six foot seven, eh and he's probably gonna go play basketball for West.
Speaker 1: He might need someone.
Speaker 9: Chris Mack and Charleston has landed Cincinnati transfer Connor Hickman.
Speaker 1: Did he play it all for the Bearcats.
Speaker 9: He had a foot injury and limited his time big time for the Bearcats. But another Cat has left the building.
Speaker 1: Chris Mack wanted the job at Savior and Xavier would not give it to him.
Speaker 9: Former Bearcats guard Dan Skillings junior staying in the Big twelve. He's going to go play at Baylor. Former Miami and Xavier guard Cam Craft averaged like he was at Xavier a couple of years, average fifteen points a game for Miami.
Speaker 1: Is he related to John Craft? He's going to play at Georgia Tech. The rambling wreck at Georgia Tech, right, pretty good stuff. And last night, of course, the Reds looked impregnable. They looked unbeatable, losing four to two, right, And what's the guy's name, Hayes, Austin Hayes. Is he related to Rutherford B. Hayes.
Speaker 9: He might be a distant Rutherford B. Hayes might be his great great great great great great great great grandfather.
Speaker 1: And when I had on Steve Leaper of three C D S.
Speaker 9: I think he's related to Isaac Hayes Shaft Shaft.
Speaker 1: I spoke to him about diggett old Cunny in Washington Park to who to the guy in charge of Washington Park is guy named Steve Leaper three C D C. Yeah? He said he never heard of old Cunny. I said, look, when you get off the get off there with me. Google William Cunningham.
Speaker 2: Up.
Speaker 1: Yes, a resurrectionist. He dug up a lot of bodies in Washington Park for a profit, which is kind of a hard way to make a living.
Speaker 9: Would you agree, I would say so, yeah, But yeah, it doesn't get too that wouldn't go over too big in this part of the world.
Speaker 1: Eighteen Yeah, it used to be a place for the police cars to run over the top of dadalusts homeless women, and now it's a little bit better in Washington Park. Would you agree? I would say so an old Cunny. They took the bodies out to Springtle It used to be a graveyard. Yes, it was a graveyard for decades. And then Old Coney, my distant, distant grandpa, he moved him to Spring Grove. He would do be the mortician, do the ceremony, and then his good luck. Normally you would put a few coins or watches or rings or on the corpse, right. And he developed a system after he buried him at Washington Park. It was a pulley system. At night, he'd pull him up by the shoulders, rifle through the pockets and put them back in the ground. Old Cunny, that's a great, great way to make a living. No, we came out of somewhere, That's all I can tell you. And then he also would sometimes dig up the bodies to pull him up completely, put him in the buggy, Go up down Vine Street, say hey, say a few words, say a few words. Hit a guy in his shoulder and his arm fell off. That's Old Coney, good friend of Jeff Beckham's on my way. You know, we all have deep roots, but my roots go deep into Washington Park, which but no doubt about that. Three c DC is studying Old Cunney today. That wouldn't be so popular. I don't think.
Speaker 9: Probably put a statue up of him, like everybody else around here. I need a statue, not you, Old Conny.
Speaker 1: Well, he donated his body to science, and so for years they I bet they acid washed his body and he was he was a skeleton in the back of the Medical College of Ohio. Old Cunny was there. We're still trying to locate his bones. They think they just scattered him somewhere in Spring Grove Cemetery. Go find him. I don't know. It's got to be someplace run, of course by my good friend Gary Frytech, right, and Dave fried Tech they both worked there. But now we have more respect for the dead. Is that fair to say? I would say so, yeah. You don't want to pull him out and rifle through their pockets and then put them back. Old Conny had a good business though. He'd bury him, dig him back up, steal from him, put him back down, did it for five or six years, bribed the police not to arrest him. Everybody into Old Cunny. William Cunningham, the resurrectionist of Washington Park.
Speaker 9: That was before you know who took over as prosecutor Joe Dieters and brought greatness to that office.
Speaker 1: Connie Pillage says, restored integrity to the prosecution.
Speaker 9: There's your phone ringing again, There's there is your phone. Just let him there we go. There was going to be a big power. Just said the magic words and bingo, there he is.
Speaker 10: But I wanted to I wanted to make sure I did everything I could to keep us safe while repairing some of the damaged reputation of this office.
Speaker 1: Oh how does Joe receive those words? Uh? I wasn't gonna do it. We're not We're not in safe harbor yet. I want to do a pow wow with Joe Deeters, Melissa powers, Connie Pillag a little power, Rob Sanders and Mike Moser. Get them all together.
Speaker 9: The King of Butler County next to Sheriff jos.
Speaker 1: Jones would provide security. But oh, present time. Pow wow is so you want to get you want to get there? You want to get Connie Pillage justice, Joe, Yes, Melissa, Melissa powers, Mike Moser, Mike Moser, Rob Sanders in the same room. Pow wow.
Speaker 9: Uh, wrestle Mania is this weekend? You got to set about the Vegas and see what happens. Face it's kind of in a cage. The pow wow has been delayed. Rick Uchino's out there. He had the Hamilton County Prosecutor Ladder match. The pow wow is delayed, I would say, so, Wow, I have to go through a metal detectile in.
Speaker 1: You'd have to have them in separate rooms. See what happens. You know, time cures all difficulties.
Speaker 9: Well, we could put we could put one in EBN one in fifteen thirty one in karc and then Justice Joe and here.
Speaker 1: Well, all I hear about Joe is he killed Harambe. And that's his claim to fame. That's all I got to the Supreme Court. He killed Arambe. There's your phone going off again here. I'm not answering it. Napter three, by give me out of suage report, please, But the pow wow is delayed. Willie and and are of the Red Red Hot Red.
Speaker 9: Legs win again against the Seattle Mariners, and tomorrow and the head to the road trip of Baltimore, Miami.
Speaker 1: And Colorado unbeatable. We leave you with the immortal words of the Stewod Report.
Speaker 12: Yeah, the whole town's baddie about sending Sinnati water team, WAA team, WATA team each man and a lady from one to eighty. How they scream, how they scream, how they scream? Keep bonn routing every and they'll do that best to keep bon winning. You can tell you all, I had a hattie this year at Cincinnati WAA Team lot A Team, lot A Team, And.
Speaker 9: Don't forget Willie now, Frank Ziebell see our gun e spas set that deal. Get seventy five hundred dollars is off a gun eye.
Speaker 1: Pool you gotta call. Get a dog, adopt a pit Rescue dot org All dogs, adopt a pit Rescue dot org a Sarah guny pools and spas. Frank's gonna pay for your food the first six months seventy seventy seven half thousand dollars off segment. Thank you very much. Sure, look who's calling me now? Just as Joe gonna summon me along with Connie Pillage got his restore integrity on seven hundred WW