Speaker 1: RSL has clinched a playoff spot that has clinched the top three seed.
Speaker 2: They moved up on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Game one against Minnesota will be Tuesday, October the twenty ninth, at seven o'clock. Our next guest has been on fire as of late, scored a goal over the weekend. It's Diego Luna back on the drive. Diego Happy Monday, man. How you doing good?
Speaker 3: How are you? Thank you for having me?
Speaker 1: I'm good, buddy, I appreciate the time. So congrats on yet another goal. What what would you most attribute your good form to as of now? You've been playing really well as of late.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's just finding the right stride at the right time, right being in the right mindset mentally, and then yeah, making sure your body's on the same the same tracks.
Speaker 1: So you guys are headed into the postseason now, and ultimately it does feel like some of the defensive issues you've run into have more or less been eliminated. You had a couple of clean sheets prior to the one goal Vancouver was able to get. We had Pablo on the show last week and he told he told us that he's asked you as a group to put in a little bit more work as the collective to make sure that those defensive issues are are behind you. Do you, guys feel like you have buying from everybody to make sure that even if you're an attacking player, you got to track back and play good defense.
Speaker 3: Of course, right, that's soccer, playing both sides of the of the game, and that's that's what's going to lead us to a championship. And that's what you know kept us five games unbeating right now going into playoffs. Is that mentality for both the attackers and defenders to play both sides of the game.
Speaker 1: Tell me what it's been like to welcome in all these new additions. You've had five new players added to the roster during the transfer window, and you had to say goodbye to some really good players name Leandres Gomez. What's that acclamation period been like for you guys, diego.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a big change, right. I think we had a momentum and we had a stride. But that's soccer, right, That's that's the transfer windows where you lose players, you get players, and then you have to kind of rebuild that chemistry and get everybody back on the same page and I think it took a little bit of time, but I think, like I said, we're finding it at the right time and and you know, heading into the postseason.
Speaker 1: So of course, you know, we all know how uh proficient and effective Chiechho is when he's right. And I thought he was going to smash the club record. I thought he was going to maybe win the Golden Bood. But diego, we haven't seen a chia Cho goal since July. Why what do you attribute that to most.
Speaker 3: I couldn't really tell you. I think he's been doing what he's been what he's needed to do to be in those positions. I think the ball just hasn't you know, found his found his foot and been able to you know, be there for him. I think, you know, that's the game of soccer. When things are not working out for for one player or one one you know, teammate, then it might work out for the other. And that's well, that's why you need a lot of threats on a team, right And then also I think it could be just uh like he's been better on the defensive side of the ball and and everything else. So I think once once he finds that next goal, I think it's gonna it's gonna be a you know, takeoff from there because he's he's put in more work on the defensive side and being as a leader, and I think that's that's adding on to what we already know he can do. So I think once he gets that first goal, he's going to be flying.
Speaker 1: So I was a little bit surprised, Diego to see you on the right side of the lineup card on Saturday, and it feels like, uh, you know, Pablo has tried out some new formulas and some different things to make sure the group is as connected as possible. Do you like playing out there on the right? Do you prefer to be a little bit more centralized or on the left? What What are your thoughts on the position you're asked to play and where's the spot you would like to play most?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think yeah. I would consider myself a natural ten. So I like to play in the pockets. I like to play in between the lines, and you know, centrally, I like to drift. I like to to go wherever the wherever the game calls for me. I like to get on the ball and create things, right, That's that's that's what I do. But in information you have to adapt. And yeah, playing on the right, it gave me opportunities to to go one v one and hopefully we look for that more. And then on the left, you know, I get to pinch in more and also float around. So I guess, I guess the answer to your question. I prefer to play the left as it gives me more freedom to tuck in and to roam. But the position I like to play most and where I find myself the most dangerous is essentially and being a ten and rolling around and finding the space.
Speaker 1: So tell me about the partnership that you have formulated with Diogo since he landed, you know, obviously a designated player. He comes to the club with a tremendous pedigree internationally and it is still early, but tell us some of the things that you've noticed in training and how do you think it's coming along to kind of ingratiate him into what Pablo wants to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he he came in strong. I think he had you know, it's difficult. I can't imagine right coming to a new country and a new team and such a weird you know, timing where where everybody's you know, in form and stuff like that. So you got to give, you know, a little bit of credit to him for coming in at that time. And then but he's adapted.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: He's a great guy, uh personally, so that that made it easy for everybody to to get comfortable with him and really connect with him into the into the team. But yeah, I think he still has another level that he's going to reach and that's just going to be another thing that that brings ourselves to another level of having everybody reaching their peak form, you know, at the right time.
Speaker 1: Ask about Ask you about a couple of the other new guys, Dominic, Dominic, Mark Zuke, who looks like Pablo likes to use him, you know, kind of out wide a little bit where we saw Andres Gomez play and he's been called to some international duty, so he hasn't been around, I'm sure as much as Pablo would prefer. But how's that process going and what type of player is he?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dominique another great guy that made it very easy to connect with and and you know, become a friend with, So that part was taken care of. And then on the other side of the ball, he's a great player and I think for him to go one b one a lot his his strength and you know, just one v one and get assists, sand crosses in and I think that's his strength and that's where we need to find him more on the wing.
Speaker 1: Same question about Lochlin Brook, another international young Australian kid brought over here as well. He came on for you in the eighty sixth on Saturday. Tell us about him? What have you learned and what type of player is he?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Lachlan, he's gifted with his left foot right, so he's got a very nice left foot, and I would say he's similar. He likes to go one on one, he likes to drive inwards with the ball essentially, and yeah, he's very skillful with his left foot. He's very technical. So I think he's another, you know, great addition, especially you know when when we need someone like that to have. And I think that's uh yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm gonna ask you anyway. We had a point guard here for a number of years named John Stockton, who set an NBA record for assists, and John always talked about how he liked setting his players up as opposed to simply scoring all the time.
Speaker 2: You do both really well. You have e goals, but you also have twelve assists.
Speaker 1: Do you like scoring goals more or do you like setting your teammates up more?
Speaker 2: And why I like.
Speaker 3: Scoring goals more buys far? I like. I like scoring goals. I like, you know, putting the ball in the net. And yeah, whether it's a top end, whether it's a shot from thirty yards out, whether it's a header, I don't care. I like scoring goals, and you know, I wish I ended with more goals. I don't think eight was enough. My goal was to reach double digits in the season. But yeah, and then assists, you know, it's they're great, right, Like that's something that you know what we need goals and assists, but not nothing beats scoring goals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I figured as much, And you know, I can totally understand why, certainly in soccer, when one goal changes games.
Speaker 2: When when when you.
Speaker 1: Have the ball at your feet, like on Saturday, even against San Jose, and you're still a little ways out from goal and you've got players making runs, what goes through your mind and how do you decide when it's time to have a go or time to maybe lay it?
Speaker 2: Off and set up a teammate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think moments like that. My mind's always thinking goal right, and that's that's a hard mindset to to transition into as as where you know, I grew up and you know, you find find the paths that's open, right, find the player that has the best chance of scoring. All these things are taught to you. But you know, in this level and stuff like that, you gotta you gotta score goals, man, You gotta if things are not going well for the team or you got to find a way, you know, to score goals even on bad games, on on good games, whether that's inside the box, outside the box, getting in the right position for a cross, it's, uh, it's all about that. And then that feeling that you get you can't really explain it, you know, when when you're gonna shoot, when you're gonna pass. It's that feeling you get when you're when you find that little gap in between you know, the players, and you get you know, you get six to twelve inches of space. You got to take that shot.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Baseball players often talk about as soon as they make contact with the ball pros, no if they hit a homer, how quickly. How quickly do you know, uh, diego after you have struck the ball that it's got a shot to on the back of the net.
Speaker 2: Is it instantaneous? Do you look up like how quickly do you know you hit a good one?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think that's a great question. I think a lot of it, you know, from from shots I'd say outside the box. It's it's the feeling like as soon as you hit it, you know. But I think like the goal on Saturday, or when you're dribbling or these little things, it's as soon as you look up and the ball, either the first bounce or the first like half second, as soon as you look up then you know. And yeah, but I think it's a lot of it's the feeling like making good contact, like you know, like other sports.
Speaker 2: So here's a follow up.
Speaker 1: Which strike because the one you put off the crossbar, like we were all standing and screaming, man.
Speaker 2: Because of the couple of step over.
Speaker 1: So which strike was actually a better strike when you actually took the shot, the one that went in or the one that hit the crossbar, one that.
Speaker 3: Hit the cross bar? Yeah, yeah, I made better contact with that one. And and you know with the follow through like the speed and and how hard I hit it. It was definitely with that one. But I leaned back a little too much on that one, which you know, which led the ball to go a little higher than than I wanted. But the contact was good and and yeah, it would have been uh would have been an amazing you know, cherry on top.
Speaker 2: Did you think it was going in when you struck it?
Speaker 3: No, I knew, I knew I hit it. I knew I was leaning back, so I thought it was gonna go over, but you know, I hit the crossbar.
Speaker 2: It looked good.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: What do you have a favorite goal that you've scored this year?
Speaker 3: Oh? This year? Probably San Jose?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, what about what about all time?
Speaker 2: Like, what about in your career? Do you have one?
Speaker 3: Okay, I would probably you know, San Jose is still up there, you know, just because it's it's in my hometown, right. I was in front of you know, one hundred and fifty people friending family, and yeah, I think that that was pretty cool. And then I'd also say maybe one of the goals I scored in Opaso. There's maybe two or three that were very special, so that.
Speaker 2: Could have been awesome that San Jose goal Man.
Speaker 1: That was something special that definitely has to be right after on the list. I wonder, you know, because obviously it's unfortunate that Brian Vera has been suspended and he's going to miss uh, he's gonna miss the first playoff game. Did you guys talk to Brian afterwards? Because I would imagine Diego he is so bummed out to miss a home playoff game.
Speaker 2: Have you guys talked to him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I personally haven't talked to him about the situation or thing he do. He did, but I think the team has and and you know, the coaching staff has and yeah, it's unfortunate, but you know things, you get consequences for things, you know, for action, So I think, yeah, he'll learn from it. He'll come back, you know, stronger better. He's been training good, training hard.
Speaker 1: So yeah, all right, who is on the roster right now? Who's the best free kick taker? When that balls lined up and you guys are debating about who's going to take because Brian takes a lot of him because he has that cannon left leg. Who's the Who's who's the best free kick taker right now?
Speaker 3: I would say, uh, probably Diogo? He has a really good technique and and yeah or Pablo, uh.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, that's right. Unfortunately he's been her.
Speaker 1: What's because you're you have to be really good at that too, right, I mean is that an area that you'd like to improve a little bit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit. But I think I think I am good at free kicks, but I think we have a lot of guys on the team that are also good. So I think it's like a kind of who's on the field, who committed the foul, who's at the right time going to take it?
Speaker 2: You know, how do you guys decide that?
Speaker 1: And how does Pablo completely leave it up to you or is it predetermined depending on where the kick is taken from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's where the foul is, who's on the field at that time, and who who's feeling the confident at that moment.
Speaker 1: All right, buddy, before I set you loose, you know, it was an own goal that allowed you guys to get to win on Saturday, and you're you are in great form, which is good news, But I think there's a feeling that the team still needs to find its form in order to make a deep run. So what do you have to do and hopefully getting to win against Minnesota because I think you guys are a better side.
Speaker 2: I think you're going to win that series.
Speaker 1: But what do you have to do to make sure your form is where it needs to be leading into the rest of the postseason to maybe do something special this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think we need everybody to put in the work on both sides of the ball. I think that's the biggest thing for us. Because we have quality, we know we're going to create chances, and we know we're gonna you know, we're going to have opportunities. But making sure that everybody's put in the work on the defensive side is what's going to make the difference. And I think that's that's what ours is, right, the work workhorse mentality that's in our DNA, and that's what we need to remember that what got us there, and I think that that's going to be the deciding factor of us, whether making a long run or ending it short, is going to be the defensive work from from everyone all eleven plus guys.
Speaker 1: Well, Buddy, as you often say, when the ball's at your feet, you'd like to make magic happen. So keep making that magic happen. Best of luck and we'll chat soon.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you very much, appreciate it. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Diego Luna on fire, wonder goal against San Jose, another goal against Vancouver, but the best strike he had may have not been the one that went in and went off the crossbar after like three stepovers soccer term.
Speaker 2: It was very cool. All right.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you about my friends at Fika Infusion and Wellness. So here's what I use Fiica Infusion and Wellness for. They have hydration shots, they have ivs. It's a matter of minutes and you feel completely hydrated and energetic. Oftentimes I'll get up a little bit earlier on a Saturday if I have a tea time and I need to be hydrated, I'll stop by there on my way up to the golf course. So Fika Infusion and Wellness, there's a lot going on right now, football, hockey, tail gating, traveling, and if you're wanting to lose weight or get hydrated, you need a boost and you can get it at Fika Infusion and Wellness. Gave yourself a head start and a little push with FAK Infusion and Wellness. Now here's the bottom line, they've got a great deal right now. It's an ESPN seven hundred deal. Just tell them you heard it on my radio show. Say Spence told me to go try this. You get one hundred dollars off your first IV. That's essentially close to a free IV. And that's again what I use it for. If you need to lose weight. They've got the semi glue tide or the ozempic or whatever the new fad is, they've got that as well.
Speaker 2: So again, mention ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 1: You get one hundred dollars off your first IV and it's valid at any FIKA Infusion and Wellness location. You can go in once a week, once a month, or once a day, whatever you want, so check it out. The products are FDA approved, including their supplements semiglue, tide, it amidst natural hormones has been proven to help patients lose weight. You've got access to medical experts on site, which is helpful. They walk you through your journey and your schedule, so you should book a consultation today online or visit one of their locations.
Speaker 2: Mill Creek is the one I use. There's a location in woods Cross.
Speaker 1: There's one in Park City as well, and coming soon now to American Fork. More information can be found at www dot fica infusion dot com