Speaker 1: Welcome to dorky Out. My name is Sonya Mansfield and Strap God wants you on the floor. Joining me is my podcasting sister from another mister and the co host of Dorkying Out, Margot d Hello, my.
Speaker 2: Friend, make it a good one. Strap Oh, Strap oh Strap, Christian cutie pie.
Speaker 1: They is such a cutie pie. They all are, they all are. We are dorkying out about nineteen eighty six's Hoosiers. Of course. It stars Gene Hackman and Rip Rip we gotta pay our respects and Dennis Hopper so you know, also Rip all.
Speaker 2: Right pay and one of the cast members one of the boys I'll tell you about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll get into that.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I guess i'll just say the other cast too, Uh, Barbara Hershey, whom I love so happy day.
Speaker 2: I love her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's great and she's so good in this part. It's directed by David Anspaw and Ansbach Ansbach and written by Angelo Pizzo. Sure sure it's not pizza, It's Pizzo Pizza. Did you see Who'siers in the theater?
Speaker 2: No? My story is I saw it on a flight from SF to Hawaii and it's a great plane watch by the way like you could see that. But this is back when you know, they had the screens on at the end, like you watched that, you had nothing else.
Speaker 1: That's how I saw Hills, right, So we've so.
Speaker 2: I'm watching it and people by the end of it, like at the last shot, you know, people burst into applause on the plane, which I've never never happened before. And I've like loved this movie ever since. I was completely I feel like they screwed up the marketing with this movie, yeah, because they released it November of eighty six, but they opened it because I watched I don't know if you watched the Cisco At Ebert review.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I read Ebert's review, though.
Speaker 2: Ciskel thought it was just man because he was wrong about a lot of shit.
Speaker 1: He was wrong pretty often. I tend to be more more of an Ebert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm more aligned with Ebert, and that's.
Speaker 1: Not a wrong sometimes too, but oh yeah, he likes Speed too famously like Speed too.
Speaker 2: But anyway, what was I saying?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I forget marketing.
Speaker 2: Right, they released it, sorry, thank you? So Ebert said they released it in November of eighty five or eighty six. They released it only in Indiana, and then they were going to wait till after January to release it nationwide. Go to New York, LA, and then release the nationwide, which is stupid. This would be a perfect move to see at Christmas time, Like, yeah, it's for families.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a super crowd pleaser. I don't understand why they didn't know what they had.
Speaker 2: I don't get it either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Gene Hackman also apparently didn't know what he had on this movie, and he was like kind of rude to the director.
Speaker 2: Oh, he was a pain in the ass.
Speaker 1: Like a real grouch on the set, and I don't think he ever, like really really apologized for like a lot of the way he acted on the set. But like, I'm on, it's such a good movie and he is so good in it.
Speaker 2: There's a lot that's taken out, so I've I guess normally we don't go into the plot and everything will just kind of jump round, I guess. But yeah, the movie the original cut was three hours, and they were told it's got to be under two. So there was a lot of the relationship between Gene Hackman and Barbara Hershey and a couple of the other boys that the stuff that about their characters that didn't make it. And but apparently that Hackman was so unhappy filling this movie like only thirty nine days. And it's like, what are you bitching about, dude? But anyway, because he's from Indiana, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm like, just it's okay, dude, it's thirty nine days. You could do anything for thirty nine days.
Speaker 2: Try to live in my life, dude. It's but anyway, they needed him to come back to do some dubbing in La and he said, well, you have to send me a rough cut first. I need to see it because he's convinced it was garbage. And then he came the next day to record and he went wrent up to the director and said, how the fuck did you make that happen? Because he had no idea how good it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I mean maybe it wasn't on the page. I would love to see some of the scenes they cut out.
Speaker 2: It's on YouTube, so go, yeah, definitely check it out. Yeah, that's what I've been doing for like an hour now.
Speaker 1: Deleted scenes. And I would love documentaries the extra stuff with him and Barbara Hershey because I guess. The relationship is really really sweet and really well done in this movie, but I would have loved maybe like one more scene.
Speaker 2: I think they needed a couple more scenes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, But I still really really liked this movie and I saw it absolutely. I saw it in the theater when it first came out. I saw your mom, Yes, definitely with my mom. And then I saw it like one more time maybe on TV, you know, TBS or whatever, and it was definitely like a crowd pleaser, and I liked it watching it again. Now the movie hits me in a different way. And we talked about this off mic right before we hit record, was like, you know, the barber Hershey character is like our age now, so.
Speaker 2: Right, we were relate to the teenagers then.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, and now we relate to the adults. And I don't know, I've seen more, I've learned more. And the idea of these like armchair coaches, yes, that parents can be We saw it and we just did remember the Titans a couple of weeks ago. It's also that sort of thing. But you can, like I could go to a softball game right now and watch my niece play, and there are parents there that think they know better.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, Yeah, hockey dad is a thing.
Speaker 1: Hockey dad, soccer moms or you know, are a thing where people, especially soccer for so strange reason, like parents lose their shit. Yeah, like get into brawls with people over that. So some of the things that are going on in this movie, yeah, ring true to me in a way that at the time I was like, dude, whatever, it's like high school sports. People don't care that much, dude, they do they super gar?
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely. And I've been through Indiana. I had friends that got married in Chicago when you and I hung out in Chicago. Yes, I remember, And we drove through Indiana to go up there. And it is different in Indiana than it is in Illinois. It's got its own kind of flava. But I was saying to you off the air, just for really wait, I was like, I this time, I totally was paying attention to Barber. Her she's character because she's more my age, and I was like, get it, girl, He's cute, he's been places. He's been places too, like she traveled outside, so she has like a taste of what it's like not there.
Speaker 1: He's cute, he's from out of town. Come on, he's tall, tall, he looks like Gene Hackman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's funny, but he's not grouchy. He's fun Yeah.
Speaker 1: But these I think, you know, I live in San Francisco, You live in Brooklyn, Like it's easy to forget that a lot of other towns, cities, whole other states, y'all don't have their own Like they don't have national their own team, or their own.
Speaker 2: Right right, their own.
Speaker 1: Baseball team, right right, right, yeah right, And so they do soup that these are their opportunities to like see live sports, and of course they care. It's like, you know, gee, son, you look outside your bubble and you realize that, like that's why people super care. And for some people it's their ticket out of their town too. If they do that, well, they could get a scholarship and you know, go like actually leave this tiny little And when I.
Speaker 2: Was a kid, I couldn't understand that. Really, I'm like, oh, you go to college, what's the big deal. As an adult, I'm like, that's your opportunity, Like, yes, get the fuck out of here, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's there's just all these The sports aspect of the movie is very well done, and there's a reason why sports writers are always like. Hoosiers is one of the best basketball movies, and it's it's held in very high regard. But there's all these different smaller things in the movie that I just never picked up on before. One is the relationship between between Gene Hackman and Barbara Hershey. Like she is very like standoffish with him because and she says, I've seen people like you before, right, she you know, they exchange words, and she asks him a lot of questions and he gets you know.
Speaker 2: Much like Zarena and Anthony and Bellow Tick down Under when he showed up and she started interviewing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yes, yeah, Like she's like, you know, do you have any experience teaching? And he's like, bitch, I already have a job. But right, he doesn't say it like that, but you know, so they don't they don't really get off on the right foot. And but there's also how he interacts with the Dennis Hopper character is like really really sweet and the way it's done is very subtle and not how you would see this in another movie. Because Dennis Hopper is playing the father of one of the players and he's an alcoholic. He has a substance of his problem. And you know, back in the day, like he was this movie set in the fifties. He's the town drunk basically, right, Like, you know, he shows up and everyone's like, oh, here comes you know. His nickname is Shooter, Like here comes Shooter, and you know he's the town drunk. But like he does know a lot about basketball and how Gene Hackman like approaches him and and he's very gentle about like, I would love for you to like be my assistant coach, but you have to clean up and yeah, you know, and he starts with like you need to shave and you need to wear suit.
Speaker 2: He's okay with projects, yes.
Speaker 1: And he's like, and you need to not drink. And he's like, oh that party, you know, And he clearly thinks about it. And but he the way he approaches it is like not Judgie at all. It's like, hey, if you want to do this, here's what I need you to do. But if you can't do those things, peace be with you, basically, right, you know. And he he he's not shitty about.
Speaker 2: It, No, he's very understanding. Yeah, and uh and and Dennis Hopper has a son that's on the team. Yeah, and that adds another layer of like, okay, because dad's the fuck up. He's always he's always he's an alcoholic, he's always drunk, and he lives in the shack. He's so but that's his dad at the same time, and he wants him to figure it out and turn his life around. Here's how's so much an eighteen year old can understand too totally and like.
Speaker 1: Right, there's you know. The whole thing is like, so he does get sober, and so for a while, like he sees his old dad again and he's like, hey, you know, and like his dad is on the sidelines and he's coaching, and he's smart. He is really smart, and he's clearly got a good sense of humor and like he seems like a lovely human. And then you know, he falls off the wagon and again, and I'm like, that's so this poor kid. It's like he had his dad back and now he's gone again. Right now, as an adult, I can see this and be like, oh, that's absolutely heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: And you also know what happens. Yes, it is a part of it. Unfortunately, you do fall a few times before a lot of people do. They fall off the wagon before they figure it out again. Yeah, but yeah, alcohols grip on people, y'all. It's it's not easy.
Speaker 1: No, it is not no, but it's it's just such a good movie.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: I texted you when I was watching it, and I'm like, I love this movie, like I just love it, like I I we'll just we'll go through it, like he it's nineteen fifty one. It's you know, a little town in Indiana. It's Hickory is the name of the town. And like Gene Hackman has been through some shit. We don't know what happened for a little while because there is no Google machine to just like you know, people don't just like google.
Speaker 2: It or microfiche at the library.
Speaker 1: There's no microfiche.
Speaker 2: For people.
Speaker 1: So he just showed up, and like Barbara her, she figures him out pretty quickly, and that somebody like him is either like hiding from something.
Speaker 2: Or he's rebuilding his life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or he's rebuilding. And she's not quite sure which one it is, and it turns out it's both. And she's pretty defensive, and she's very protective of a specific kid named Jimmy, who is like a basketball whizz kid like a savant. He's like insanely good at kid. By the way, I was like, does Jimmy ever talk in this movie? And I looked it up. Kid has four lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's like a big presence in the field it is.
Speaker 1: He does a really really good job. The actor is marn Maris Valinous. I think, I don't know, and he does have he's really tall, he's very cute. They're all cute and really cute. But he has a very strong presence. He has like four lines in the movie. But yeah, he is very good at basketball. They show him shooting hoops all the time. He rarely talks, and she's very protective of him at he's like his both his parents are dead. I think, yeah, And she's like, hey, maybe basketball isn't your way out of town. You should try to get into a good college with academics. So she's kind of pushing him in a different nudging him. Let's say that in a different.
Speaker 2: Direction, because we should be fair to her. I mean, the odds are astronomical. Yes, you have to have some respect for professional ballplayers, whatever the sport is, because they are overcoming a lot of odds. Yeah, I mean it's not easy.
Speaker 1: And they're taking a chance like you're gambling, like really, because the chances of making getting a college scholarship or that's not great odds. The idea that you would play professionally is even.
Speaker 2: Worse, more remote, I mean, just and then.
Speaker 1: To be successful at it, like your unicorn, right, you know, so she is, she's smart. She's trying to push because she was able to leave town based on you know, her academics and was able to you know, get out and see other things. She came back because her father died and her mother was sick, and her mother is great. It's uh. I love the scene where the mom runs into Gene Hackman and invites him over for dinner, like and it turns out that she just super loves basketball because.
Speaker 2: Right, she's a basketball freak, yes, And I really like that.
Speaker 1: It's it's very cute.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: So he chats with the principal. The principle is like his old friend, and there is this vague like your slate is clean here, and again we don't know like what he's they did, right, And he goes to like a meet and greet that's at a like barber shop or something, and it's all men, of course, and it's all these dads and other men who just live in the town and they just have strong opinions about how basketball is played there, and very strong opinions about making Jimmy rejoin the team. And yeah, they just want an armchair coach. Basically, they're very obnoxious about it, to tell you the truth. And one of them is the guy from a major league. Oh god, right to me, he's always that like grouchy old picture that is so shitty to Charlie Sheen and major league.
Speaker 2: He's a character at a bunch of.
Speaker 1: Stuff, and he's very good at playing those kinds of parts.
Speaker 2: You know, like the douchebags.
Speaker 1: He's a total yeah, douchebag guy like who maybe redeems himself a little bit at the end, but yeah, he plays a douchebag. But Gene Hackman tells them all like, hey, why don't you mind your business? Then let me take care of this. He has his first practice and the kids are some of them are shitty, some of them are great. We meet one that's named Ali. Ali's so cute you could just put him in your pocket.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I think some of the people call him Big Ali. Poor Ali.
Speaker 2: He's like a spudweed sized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's probably he's probably like five six yeah, and everyone else is like six foot or taller.
Speaker 2: Hey, Prince played basketball, and apparently he was really fucking good at it.
Speaker 1: That's what that's what we learned from the Chappelle Show. Like, yeah, according to Charlie Murphy. Charlie Murphy, Prince could really ball, so go go Allie, and he just really he tries to break them down and build them back up. It's a tale is old at time for sports movies. Basically, Yeah, we meet Dennis Hopper at one point as the town drunk, also the father of one of the players they meet. There's a couple of scenes where like Gene Hackman meets with Jimmy and again Jimmy never talks. It's shooting baskets the whole time, and Gene Hackman does all the talking. What's the other thing that happens, Oh, this scene is so frustrating. There's like a rally, like a pep rally at school and he brings the team out and the team just or the school just starts chanting like we want Jimmy.
Speaker 2: You know. It's so rude, it's so dude, you're not good enough for us.
Speaker 1: We want Jimmy.
Speaker 2: We have almost four hundred students in this school. We're a big deal.
Speaker 1: Like poor that poor team. And he gives them like a real you know, he gives them the whole Yeah, like you support who we are, not who we aren't. These boys have made the choice to put in the work and you know this is your team. And there and then it's like crickets tumbleweeds blow through. They're like, eah, they play their first game, it doesn't go well. They you know, we get a lot of angry dads on the sideline going on, you know, barging in during halftime, thinking they know best. It's so shitty, And I don't know. He just keeps doing what he's doing and he's breaking again. He's like breaking them down and building them back up. It's the same thing we just we saw it and remember the Titans. You see it right sports movies. So I think this movie doesn't give all the players their individual little moments and personality traits the way some other sports movies do.
Speaker 2: Right, what some of them do. I I don't feel like it's missing anything. I feel like I know them well enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Strap is the one who like he really loves the Lord.
Speaker 2: He loves to pray, love he's good at it.
Speaker 1: I really like I did laugh out loud where like they're all praying and like they're done and he's still just there praying and he's like, well make sure you're done, but tip On, Like he just he really loves the Lord. And when he's playing really well, he's like I feel the power of the Lord flowing through me. It's like, okay, Strap, Okay. You know Ali's thing is that he's short.
Speaker 2: You know, he's actually a good ballplayer. Yeah, he played. He was he was a senior in high school. He was really young, but he played basketball, so he was pretty good at it. It was the guy who played Jimmy who hadn't played ball. He didn't know right, so it was a big deal, like for him because he never misses, like he's like there's a whole scene with him in gene Ackman. Yeah, and he doesn't talk. He's just shooting the ball. He just he dunks it. Every doesn't dug but he just shoots it just NonStop, like he never misses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's it's pretty impressive. And so yeah, their first game doesn't go well, and at one point, like so he has no assistant coach, he has the principal as his assistant coach. Things get too stressful, the assistant principle has like heart issues and he can't do it anymore. And that's when Gene Hackman goes to visit Dennis Hopper and asks him to like kind of clean up and join him on the bench. And again, like fifteen year old me wasn't into this, but now I'm like, it's so cool to see a scene with Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so they're so good together. Sure, there's such great chemistry, and and I got Dennis Hopper was such a great actor. He was absolutely you just your heartbroken dealing with this guy, because yeah, right, it's like it's a part. It's you know, he doesn't want to be a fuck up. He doesn't want to you know, it's it's just he's got a problem. Yeah, and he's throwing him a lifeline and helping him out. And they're such good actors, you totally buy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And again, I love how gently is about it. He's not a dick about it, And I love. I love, love love Dennis Hopper in this movie. Like I he could have played this person as like just a fucking dark cloud, like yeah, a real brooding asshole type or something, and he's not. He's actually really he's actually really sweet and like like you know, he has a lovely smile and like there seems like there's something amusing about him, but he just has this problem that's like more than he can handle. And I just thought he was so good and again, like fifteen year old me didn't appreciate it, and fifteen year old me was like, he should have been nominated for Blue Velvet, and I see why he's nominated for this movie now.
Speaker 2: He anchors the movie he does. Yeah, he's so good in it.
Speaker 1: And I think Gene Hackman should have been nominated too, but oh, absolutely, what are you gonna do? They had to make room for William Hurt and Children of a Lesser God.
Speaker 2: That movie. I never liked that movie of You. I did not.
Speaker 1: I thought Marley Mattlin was very good in it, by the way.
Speaker 2: I did too, but I just found it. I just it's not my it's it's a choice, a choice.
Speaker 1: I would rather have seen Gene Hagman in that category.
Speaker 2: But yes, yeah, I think this movie, I think more people should see it. I think it's uh yeah, you really do care about these kids. I mean, yeah, it's there. It's just a ballgame. And but they do get better and better as they go.
Speaker 1: And the thing is is that the rules changed.
Speaker 2: They were saying, like in the fifties, you could still be a really small school and wind up playing a big team. Now they changed the rules, like you had to stick to different districts depending on the size of your school. So this was much more democratic, and that like you really did egalitary. Maybe you want to say, it's like you did have to earn that spot. But when you get there, and then when they get to their they get to the finals, they got their their final match, and it's the championships, the state championships, and they're from like Muncie or East Bend, Indiana, South South Bend. Sorry, and uh yeah, those and those dudes are gigan to compare to these kids, and you're like, this is not gonna this is total you know, Davy and Goliath, k Yeah, and spoiler they make it.
Speaker 1: What what's funny is I know how the movie ends, and I was still like, go allie, make that best. Oh I still and I love Super Care. I care so much.
Speaker 2: And then the smart thing that Dennis Hopper did was that they in the original script he falls off the wagon, you know, once again he falls off the wagon. But then he comes back for the final game. And then he's there when they the f and Dennis Hopper, who had just quit drinking, said no, he would stay in the hospital because that's where he needs to be, because he's this is his last chance to really get sober and make it county. And so he's staying for his sobriety. And so then you have him in the hospital and it's much better having him reacting in the hospital with the radio that.
Speaker 1: It would have been him there with the world's most patient nurse.
Speaker 2: This nurse just working doing her paperwork in the room with the patients.
Speaker 1: I love this, and he's just like, you don't understand, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, and she's just like whatever.
Speaker 2: But still it really it's it's it just rang true to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love And there's a whole thing too where they of course, a movie like this needs to have a town hall meeting where they're like, we're gonna get rid of him because he's an outsider and he's not doing it the way we want to do it. And this is where Barbara Hershey could have She really could have put the nail in the coffin here and like sent him on his way. She at this point has found out like why he got why he lost his old job, which was he actually like punch, punch, punch player. But you can't do you no, no, no, no, we don't. We don't punch kid.
Speaker 2: It's not okay.
Speaker 1: You know, he's a college coach, so I guess this kid would have been eight. We don't punch. We don't no hitting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no hitting, allow, You're not allowed to no hitt.
Speaker 1: And you know they have a very you know, they talk about it and he's like, this is my second chance. And I don't know why, you know, I wish I could go back and take it back. I think about it all the time.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And the truth is she likes him. And they go to the town hall and she it looks like she's gonna do it. She's brought the story. She stands up there and then she just says, like it would be a huge mistake if you guys let him leave. Like it's because she likes him.
Speaker 2: Because she likes him and she sees the potential and she.
Speaker 1: Sees the potential and like the team is getting better, and that's like the big moment, of course, is Jimmy comes in and he's like, I will join the team and everyone's like, see you told you you were. Yeah, like you'll play and he's like, no, I only play if the coach stays and everyone's like what.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 1: So that's when everything starts to click into place and they start winning and Dennis Hopper shows up and he's sober and he's he's doing the assistant coach thing. And I do love the scene where Gene Hackman purposely gets himself thrown out of a game so that Dennis Hopper has a moment to shine. And I what I love about it is he he tells Dennis Hopper like, Dennis Hopper's like, don't get thrown out of any more games, and he's all, I totally won't, basically, and yeah, next game, he's like, look, I just want to discuss it with the ref and he walks up to the rep and he's like, do you have pigeon shit?
Speaker 2: And you're just throw me out, now, throw me out, just throw me out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he tells him to throw him out and he does, and then he lets shoot her take the lead and he he does. He comes up with like a great play that they are able to use to like win the game, and you know, he gets some respect from his and it's like it's such a good moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of it so much.
Speaker 1: And then there's like a semi final game, and this is the game that I always think in my head is the final and that's the one with like Ali doing the like what they call a granny style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the free yeah, the free throw. But it's yeah, yeah, they do it underhanded. I don't think they do that anymore.
Speaker 1: No, I looked it up. I don't think anyone's done that since like ninety, right, yeah, or maybe they said eighty or ninety. I forget. It's not really something that they do anymore.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: That's how I do it when I play with my son, because I'm because I am an old lady. That's that's why. But that's not even the final game. Like it's like this huge moment that like Ali makes these baskets and you know, everyone's like yay. But that's just the game that gets them. The championship game, which is in this like auditorium that's so huge to them. They've never been in a building that big before. And I love the scene where Gene Hackman measures.
Speaker 2: You're right, you know the distance?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's like same size, you know as what we have at home. And and then they play and you have those kids are way bigger and it's a way bigger town and a way bigger school district and they probably have more resources than all of those things too. So right, it's a it's a big thing, and you know, like all sports movies, it's got a very exciting final game. I'm curious how they even shoot these kinds of movies, to be honest, because there's so much cutting. Do they just let them play and film it.
Speaker 2: I hate wonder.
Speaker 1: And like, I guess I should watch making of or something so I could get it.
Speaker 2: I saw one of the making of there's a little featurette and it's Gene Hackman and he said he's in India. They filmed this in Indiana. And then this really small town and There's a woman that's in one of the crowd scenes. She goes up to Gene Hackman and says, I knew your mother, your mom, your mom. My mom and your mom were friends. And she brings a picture to Gene Hackman. It's her mother with his mother, and then he tells us, my mother died in a house fire and all of her photos were in there in that house. He goes, I only have this photo now of my mother.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, right, oh my god.
Speaker 2: I gave you the chills.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why would he be so shitty about this movie?
Speaker 2: I he just well, when you watch the extra clips, because the deleted scenes, they're not all jug up, they don't have the proper you know, they just looked kind of rough, and he's probably walking around like and it was rare, like there thirty nine days they said it rained like thirty one of them. Yeah, you know, in the middle of nowhere in Indiana. You know, he's like, you're with a bunch of you know, amateurs that weren't actors. He had to teach these kids stuff, and he's probably like, what's going on here, Like, what's going to make it into the final film? Right?
Speaker 1: You know, it's go ahead.
Speaker 2: Well, who knows what makes a movie good anyway, Like it's they're always taking a risk.
Speaker 1: They are absolutely and like he gene happened, he was a big star. But at this point he'd won afe. Yeah, you're all ready for the French connection, Like he's a big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And he was also filming Superman four, like write this, and he apparently was like super excited to do that one because it was an anti nuclear war. He did not have a big Dude, you didn't really you should really just go by script. Go by the script, dude, just go by the script. Okay. But he thought that would be the big movie. And he thought this, yes, which is a notoriously horrible Superman movie.
Speaker 1: He really directed his anger at the wrong movie. Right, that's a bad movie.
Speaker 2: Bad, It's an objectively terrible film.
Speaker 1: Like I get, I I there's things in Part three that I actually think are good. I don't know if I could say the same for Superman.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: And I wanted to like it because it had John Cryer in.
Speaker 2: It, exactly. And I was at the Alex Bennett show when John Cryer was there and he was promoting Hiding Out and Alex said, to which we did an episode of The One and Alex Wana was a radio show in San Francisco by the way back in the back in the eighties, and he was on the show and Alex said to him, you know what I really enjoyed Superman for and John Cryer looked because I know you're a liar. That's a terrible movie.
Speaker 1: He's also you're the one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. He was like, dude, it's okay, it's a terrible It's fine, it's not that's a horrible movie. He's like very much like right off the bat. And I was like, I like John Cryer, He's just very normal. He seems like good people, good people. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they play in their big game. You'll never believe this. It comes down to like the last second of what's going to happen, and there is this moment where like Gene Hagmany calls the time out and they're like, we're going to do this. This is the play, this is what we're going to do, and the team just kind of takes a step back and takes a moment and he's like, what's wrong with you? What is it? And Jimmy says, I'll make it and he's like, all right, let's do it. And it's like actually kind of a big moment.
Speaker 2: Like it's they're really well filmed. I mean, these guys are good ballplayers, so it is like watching a real game, and it is exciting. It's like really good players. Basketball is an exciting game to watch. I mean absolutely, their shit going on all the time. You have add it's perfect because just it's just boom boom boom. See.
Speaker 1: This is why I like, I love to go to basketball games, like we have we have a Warriors like Chase Stadium here now in San Francisco. I love to go to games. I don't watch basketball at home because I don't find that relaxing, like because it is like constant you have to pay attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like and hope the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I like baseball because it's it's because it's slow. It's yeah, I like that pace when I'm at home. But I love to go to baseball games too. But I love the he this movie, I'm like, I love, I love I love remember the same member.
Speaker 2: Remember You and the Beatles.
Speaker 1: That was awesome. He he's the one who's called the shots. You will do what I tell you you're in my army now, like all of this stuff. And then at the end there they very politely push back. They like take a pause, they take a breath, and Jimmy's like, I'll make it, and he changes his mind. He listens to them and he lets them do their thing, and I don't again, I don't think that at fifteen that hit me And now I'm like, oh, they made their own choice there and it worked, and he trusted them to make the call.
Speaker 2: And when he says I love you, guys.
Speaker 1: Go, that's where I cry.
Speaker 2: I bet you. I bet so many men cry at that moment because they don't like the guys that don't like to cry. I'm sure they watch this movie to cry so they can have that that and uh, what am I thinking of that? Of course, Dreams, Field of Dreams. It's got that kind of that kind of a sports movie. It's got that scene where you can kind of give yourself permission to cry, which I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, we we all have those movies that, yeah watch because we need to cry.
Speaker 2: When I have trouble accessing emotion. Yes, I've just put that on and that'll just make me cry and I'll get it out.
Speaker 1: A movie can do that for you, Yes, absolutely, and you know spoilers, but they totally win. They win, you know, they score just as the buzzer sounds. Of course they do. They're like the smallest school to ever win, like the Indiana State championship and we get the shot of them and they're like championship photo and the whole I love you guys, And I'm like, it's just.
Speaker 2: A perfect little movie. It really, there's nothing. I mean, I would add more to it. If anything else I would, I wouldn't be I would be totally fine if they were like twenty minutes longer.
Speaker 1: The love I would love like a couple more scenes with him and Barbara Hershey, Yes, when he shows up at her house and like she's doing some gardening or whatever, and they take a walk and like they're chatting forbid and they kiss and she says like it's been it's been a while or it's been a long time, and he's like for me too, and I'm like it's.
Speaker 2: Just so sweet.
Speaker 1: It's yes, like you know it again, Like it's not like they could just go on the apps and fucking swipe around and meet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you're in a town of like nineteen hundred, Like, you're going to meet everybody in no time you've dated everybody, or everyone's dated each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need someone to move to town in order to like, you know, get a little action. And you know, she finally has met someone that she likes. And I like there's a scene like right after it where people are he's answering questions for reporters and they're like, are you going to be staying in Hickory? And I love that she picks up the little bullhorn and she's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great question.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, of course he will, because he really likes her.
Speaker 2: I think he's finding his stride. He also likes the school, he likes the town, and yeah, he's ready to settle down there. He's good with it.
Speaker 1: I think so. And I just I read that originally Jack Nicholson was going to play the Gene Hackman part.
Speaker 2: Right, and he was polite enough to tell the director that I thought everyone was terrific. He says, but if it were me, it would have been a mega hit. And he's not wrong. I mean, Jack Nicholson was a huge star in the eighties, Like yeah, but he was in some lawsuit and couldn't work for the time that they were filming it, so that's when they had to get Gene Hackman after that, who just complained the whole time. But it turns out it's like one of his best movies.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: I think so easily.
Speaker 1: And Harry Dean Stanton was supposed to play the Dennis Hopper part where I was.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say he would have been good too, by the way he was. That was his role to play. But I think there's something about Dennis Hopper. And also Dennis Hopper was good friends with James Dean. They made the.
Speaker 1: End and Rebel without a Cause together.
Speaker 2: Right, And James Dean paid basketball in the early fifties in Indiana and he played against the team that was from Milan or Millan, Indiana. So he like, it's based on a real story ish that happened in like nineteen fifty four in Indiana and it was two different schools and James Dean played against the school that won and it was like the school school it was a big story blah blah blah. So there's all kinds of places, you know, yeah, that things kind of coalesce and are interesting but I think it's it's really well done. The script is good, the acting's great. It's very realistic. There's nothing anachronistic about it. Like I feel like I'm totally in nineteen fifty two in Indiana, and not in a crazy way. I just feel like, I just I understand. And how much do you want to eat that food? I bet all that food was so good. When I see movies like in the fifties and diners, I'm like, you know, that's some damn good food.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a good biscuit.
Speaker 2: Oh, I want good pie.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, they're eating pie in one of the scenes.
Speaker 2: Oh. And I'm like, you know, that's tasty.
Speaker 1: That's some damn fine pie. They would say in Twin Peaks. So Dennis Hopper was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for this movie, and.
Speaker 2: We're with Velvet, which he thought he would get aphoria.
Speaker 1: I get why he's not blue. Velvet is very very weird, and he's very very good in it. But this feels more like the kind of movie the Academy likes to get awards for.
Speaker 2: And also I just finkly like I find the character more relatable. I love David Lynch's movies. But there's nothing relatable about them. And that's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah for that, I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watch them because I want to look in a mirror at my life, like I I. But but the problem with it is it can be so strange that it's hard to re uh to connect with it on a human level. Whereas Dennis Hopper with Gen like you said, if that scene with Gene Hackman in his crappy house, you know, with barely electricity and anything, and this guy's like add his whitworst and Gene Hackman's like, I'm going to give you this lifeline. I'm gonna I want you to do this, and I bet you could do it. And he's like, I got a sue that's soon. I got married. In I you can see he's getting excited, like somebody believes in him. It's so warm, it's it's so good.
Speaker 1: He's he is at his lowest. He's living in like a house that's falling apart. It's yeah, no electricity probably, and he's still like trying to be a good host, like, yeah, here, sit at the fire. Do you want to do? You want to I think already you want to snort. I think and offers him the bottle and he's like, no, thank you, but like you can still see like his humanity. Yeah, I guess, And I feel like playing in blue velvet that's just a it's not real.
Speaker 2: It's not real. It's a performance of material, and so is what he's doing here. But one, I just it seems natural to me and more grounded in reality, and the other is more of a movie, it's an art project. Which is they're both fine. I mean, they both serve their purpose. But if you're telling, like which one do I connect with more, I'm good. It has to be Hoosiers every time, And every time I watch Hoosiers, I'm like, god, damn it. Dennis Hopper was good. He was such a good actor. He was. It's so much charisma. He had so much. He really did.
Speaker 4: If you connect to Frank in blue velvet, yes, like he's huffing a tank, yeah, I have questions for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love Lynch but yeah he was weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's super weird. So he's nominated for Hoosiers. I thought you might like to know.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, please.
Speaker 1: I also have a list of Gene Hackman movies for us, so other people nominated Denholm Elliott for A Room with a View Denham Denham, I've never seen a Room with a view? Should I It's fine, Okay? I mean I like those kinds of movies.
Speaker 2: I probably, yeah, yeah, it's fine. It's good.
Speaker 1: Two people from Platoon Willem Dafoe.
Speaker 2: I just saw a documentary about Platoon. It was a few years old. I didn't realize it, but those men fucking love each other, like they really went through the shit together.
Speaker 1: They went through like a boot camp together.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah in the Philippines.
Speaker 1: Damn yeah, no, thank you. And Tom Behringer was also nominated.
Speaker 2: And he's hot.
Speaker 1: Tots And normally the winner was Michael Caine for Hannah and her Sisters.
Speaker 2: He's really good in that movie. He is.
Speaker 1: And also I think it was like a it's his year kind of thing. Yeah, it was like it's his turn.
Speaker 2: Because he's always good. Like Gene Hackman, he's always good. Yep.
Speaker 1: And then some other Gene Hackman movies that we haven't talked about on the show because we've done a couple Gene Hackman movies. So if you're like, what about the Bird Cage, we already did The Bird Cage so uh not the French connection and the French connection and the Quicken the dead right, and maybe that's it. There might be one more in there that I'm not there.
Speaker 2: We should do the first Superman movie one of these days we have.
Speaker 1: I feel like we have done Superman. Really, I can look it up.
Speaker 2: You gotta look up in the files.
Speaker 1: Let's see Superman. I'm almost positive we did the door Key. Now, maybe we did it. Let's see. Oh my god, you and I have not done Superman.
Speaker 2: The seventy eight one. No, we gotta do that. Okay, all right, because I saw the Christopher Reeve documentary a few weeks ago. You did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did Superman back when the show first started with my previous host. I would love to redo it, so we will do.
Speaker 2: We deleted those episodes.
Speaker 1: Those episodes are missing in action. So other other Gene Hackman movies. The Conversation, great movie, really great. Mississippi Burning, such a hilarious, hilarious, so fun. That played at my movie theater, and it played for quite a while too. I think it was supposed to win a lot of awards. It didn't, but it had that Oscar run to two courtroom movies. He did the Firm, which I think we covered. We have not it's on our list though.
Speaker 2: We did that.
Speaker 1: We did The Client, and we did a Time to Kill. But we did the Fir and the Pelican Brief and the Pelican Brief. That's right, we did that one with Adamirski. Yeah, he was also in Runaway Jury.
Speaker 2: That's a good movie.
Speaker 1: That's an entertaining one too. And then of course Get Get Shorty.
Speaker 2: Get Shorty. I have not seen in so long and I'm dying to watch it again.
Speaker 1: Yep, we could put and we could bump any of these up to the top of the list if we want. Yeah, Crimson Tide.
Speaker 2: Never seen it.
Speaker 1: I love Crimson Tie.
Speaker 2: I know people love it. I don't.
Speaker 1: It's an acquired not A submarine movie is not for everybody.
Speaker 2: My brother was in submarines too. He was in the Navy for eight years, so he.
Speaker 1: Was also an unforgiven obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good movie.
Speaker 1: I really like He's in Postcards from the Edge.
Speaker 2: Great fucking movie based on a really great book.
Speaker 1: Love Postcards from.
Speaker 2: The Edge rip Carrie Fisher.
Speaker 1: I saw that genius so many times in the theater because it played at my theater, and I would just go and see it because I loved it so much. Two more, the Royal ten in Bombs.
Speaker 2: Great movie.
Speaker 1: He's so good in that movie.
Speaker 2: He's good in that. I mean, if you like Wes Anderson, by the way, that is the caveat Yes.
Speaker 1: And then his last movie is Welcome to Mooseport.
Speaker 2: God bless him for doing that.
Speaker 1: But wow, it's fine. It's fine. It's like, hm, like, that's not how he well whatever, he made his choices, but yeah, that's not he maybe after Royal ten in Bombs, like you could just cut the list, but whatever, Welcome to Mooseport is a thing that happened.
Speaker 2: No, and then he did all those commercials for years. He was the voice of what was the carrier, Oh my god, Sprint T Mobile. I think he's the T Mobile voice.
Speaker 1: Let's see, Gene Hackman, because he did it for years and that you make serious fucking money doing that over commercials.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: He did stuff for Lending Tree. Oh my god, he did Missed, he did like Doctor Clean, he did a whole bunch. Oh my gosh, who knew?
Speaker 2: Because I think he had a studio at his house. That the one that he unfortunately passed away in. But I think he had like a studio set up there.
Speaker 1: He did over for United Airlines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did a lot of that. Dude.
Speaker 1: That's good money.
Speaker 2: It's great fucking money. But I think it's yeah exactly, we're here. I told you, like my book. They sold the rights for the audio, and then I said to my my editor, I'm like, oh, well, will I be doing it? He goes, well, I don't know. I don't know if they're even gonna ask you. And I'm like, really like, oh, hello.
Speaker 1: I'm here. It's like, what I do?
Speaker 2: I have got hours and hours you could listen to.
Speaker 1: I can't even tell you how many work things I've been roped into just because of the fancy Mike. Yeah, she's not kidding. I I am not.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Let's hear some songs.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is the top ten. This movie came out November fourteenth, eighty six. Right, yep, alright, so number God. I love this list. Number ten it's Cidey Laupper, True Colors Love Cindy makes Me Cry. I love that song. This. I love this song the Rain Orange Juice Jones song You and Him and Him in the Rain. Number eight. This song The Next Time I Fall Peter Setara and Amy Grant.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we're not escape that song.
Speaker 2: It's a mall song. It everywhere. Number six I didn't mean to turn you on. Robert Palmer. I loved Robert Palmer and I love that album so good. Number five bon Jovi, You give have a Bad Name.
Speaker 1: I love that song You Get a Bad Name.
Speaker 2: I love when Triumph the Dog went to see Bunch of.
Speaker 1: Everything Triumph does.
Speaker 2: He gets high on the tour bus with everybody. Oh it's hilarious. Okay. Number five sorry, Number four take Me Home Tonight, Eddie Money. Great song. Number three True Blue by Madonna when she was married to Sean Penn. Oh yeah, Number two that was three. Sorry. Number two Human League Human that's a good song.
Speaker 1: That's a good song.
Speaker 2: And number one Amanda by Boston. That was like, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, totally forgot about that song.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have one of my I remember one of my longest friends is his name Amanda, and one of our coworkers at the theater used to have this song on a t and I was like, he has a crush on Amanda, and that's why this song is honest.
Speaker 2: I think about that song. Hey, Delilah, do you remember that song, Yeah, Hey Delai La blah, And it was because the singer had a crush on a girl named Delilah and she told him no like a thousand times, and then he made a song that she had to hear for like a year and she yeah, And she did some interviews and she was kind of like, yeah, we just you know, there's no chemistry for me. I'm sorry. You know. The answer is still no. The answer is still no.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on your novelty hit, but no, yeah, no, no, thank you.
Speaker 2: Good try though, good try if he can go into what we're doorky out about. Yes, I have I have a Boston thing I have to talk about.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Because my thing on people on people have different things on YouTube. So my co host for Book versus Movie, Margo likes people taking things out of their bag, like the purse, your sack.
Speaker 1: Oh, I want to see what's in your purse?
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, that's her thing. And you know some people like unboxing things is their thing. For me, it's people reacting to music and it's it's my favorite. And there's one that I found it it's from if you just to do and react to Boston for play long Time, So it's a there's an instrumental and then it leads to a song called long Time. I haven't heard it in twenty years, thirty years, I don't know. It's from their first album, and it is so fucking amazing to watch all these people reacting to this song because it actually is like a really good song. It's got way over production and you know, guitar solos and it's got a spaceship looks, young people, all kinds of people. Okay, that's what I love about it. It's like there's a mixture of different kinds of people, different races, different genders, different places in the world that they live in, and they just react. They pick songs and then the person like edits it to see everybody's reactions to it, and they did that. They do that a lot with Kendrick Lamar because of the Super Bowl thing, right, But during COVID there were a lot of people who were doing putting these kinds of videos out on YouTube because everyone was bored and they were home, and so there was there's like there was this group of of vloggers that would just like they come up with a playlist and they would react to songs and then one of them would put them all together. And I've just been watching that like and it's it was so fucking good.
Speaker 1: I for a while loved watching these twin boys.
Speaker 2: The twins are the new trend or something. They broke up. Oh, they had a fight. They had an argument and they broke up, and then it was just one of them doing it and then he had to let it go because it wasn't the same. They were so cute because they they they were durable boys. And they also they were young kids. They're like teenagers and they were twins and they remember they listened to Uh in the Air tonight, Yeah when it gets to the drum fill and they freaked out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they were like, what.
Speaker 2: What is it? Yeah, it's that. It's basically that, and it's just different people. And there's one that one there's an opera singer in Scotland and.
Speaker 5: She's really but she's, oh, this is quite good threefold, and then there's like you get a guy that's totally high and baked in Detroit and just laying on his bed reacting.
Speaker 2: But he I could just tell you, guys, just just do it. It's just really great anyway, So that's something you won't be sorry. We brought up Boston, so I had to bring it back to Boston. That's why. So I'm freaking out paying attention to let's talk about. Amazon has a documentary about the Tragically Hip that I've waited for months to watch because it's called No Dress Rehearsal Okay, and it's three or four parts, and it's a band I love. They They're like they were the kings of Canada, like they're huge there. And then the lead singer, Gordon died. Gordon Downey died from brain cancer and his fuck cancer and oh got it so heartbreaking, like they did a final tour and then he died a few months but it happened super quickly, like and it's just there. He went to Europe to get to try to get cures for it, like he had millions, like he had he had all this access and he's free health care in Canada and he and his wife were going through a divorce at the time and then they got back together, but he had these tumors in his head and they just couldn't figure it out. And the one thing they could do to help him, and it was basically with the pain because he had just these headaches that were just blinding. Is they did this treatment, but it caused him to have memory loss, so he couldn't drive because he get lost. He couldn't remember the lyrics, he couldn't make it was it's so heartbreaking. But so it took me months to watch this and then I finally got to do it, and then it's really beautiful. But it's sad, but it also it's really nice and I hope they have like this renaissance of people kind of discovering them because their music is great. And he's just it's you know, fuck cancer man, what can I say? Especially Yeah, So that's on Amazon YouTube. They're oh, there's a documentary about this movie called for the Small Schools. And it's the guy that says that in this movie, the player that says that let's do this. Oh that line kills me. Let's do this for all the small schools that can't make it here that I'll never know what it's right and he unfortunately he died by suicide. Oh I know, And so it's like the it's very sad. So it's the cast, but the just meeting these actors, like twenty years later, like talking about the movie and what it meant to them.
Speaker 1: It was really yeah, because they weren't professional actors.
Speaker 2: These no only a couple of them had any kind of training, So like Gene Hackman had to teach them like, this is your light, this is your spot, this is your you know, your mark, and this is what you do. And he was he had to give them like this mini you know, training camp for acting. And think about it, these kids are like eighteen nineteen years old and Gene Hackman is teaching them to be in this movie that they're doing.
Speaker 1: They're like, it's Lex Luthor, right.
Speaker 2: They were like this is so fucking cool. And they all just seemed like really they're a nice, nice Midwestern people. You know, I'm max they have white lotuses in their third season. Are they doing incest? Is that what's going on here?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but that it makes me very uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's Patrick Schwartzenager. We've seen his schwartznaga. Uh. He's been naked a couple of times in this and he has a younger brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they the way he looks at him, he's like, yeah, Cleary, oh yeah, it's it is making me uncomfortable. When they finally make the Donald Trump Junior movie, I think Patrick Schwarzenegger might be the natural.
Speaker 6: Choice, Like, my god, you're right, he's like this is practically. This is practically He's more handsome by like a thousand persons.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean that's what they do with movies. You get a handsome we're a better looking version of the person, because it just has to.
Speaker 1: Be just like Sebastian stan playing Donald Trump, like no.
Speaker 2: Exactly or.
Speaker 1: Yes, right never, but yeah, he would be good at.
Speaker 2: Parker Posey is in there, Jason Isaacs is in there. I miss Jennifer Coolidge. I'm just I'm curious where they're going to go with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that every season of the show.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm just true.
Speaker 1: I'm like, where are we going with this? But I'm always along for the ride because the casting chef's kiss always yes. And I loved the scene in the most recent episode where they realized that Leslie Bibb is a trumper. Like the three girlfriends who have known each other since like grade school or on the right and they're having dinner and it's just it's to slowly come out that, like because one of them is an actress who lives in la and the other one is a lawyer in New York. And Leslie Bibbs's character with this like short, little blonde bob and she lives in Austin with her husband, and it just slowly starts to come out that like that she goes to this mega church and everyone's like, wasn't that awkward because you're probably surrounded by all these trumpers and she's like, doesn't really answer the question.
Speaker 2: And we've all had these questions, yeah, conversations like you start to talk to somebody like, oh wait a second, I've also lived this.
Speaker 1: I've lived this with people.
Speaker 2: And how do people do see on TikTok that are like I voted for him three times. I was very proud, But does anybody care about Kansas now? Like now, fuck y'all? Yeah, you know, I feel bad for the people who voted differently in Kansas, but you no, I don't feel sorry for you.
Speaker 1: No, you fucked around and now you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna find out enjoy enjoy.
Speaker 1: I've said that, Yeah, I'm sad for people who didn't ask to fuck around. Right, But that scene is so well done about her, Right, they're obviously like they now it's starting to slowly come out the way. She tries to like like diffuse the situation with like are we really going to talk about Trump right now? Like it's fine like me, you know, because it doesn't affect her. She's like a rich white woman.
Speaker 2: Right and in Texas, and we have listeners in Texas and Florida, and they tell us, like a lot of them say like I want to leave or because yeah, but you just can't pick up and move.
Speaker 1: It's it's no defensive and hard.
Speaker 2: And it's also like you know somebody that you knew in your twenties and you're more idealistic of that. And then to talk to them twenty thirty years later her and I like to watch them give up basically those kinds of values. To trade them in for something more convenient is disappointing.
Speaker 1: Yep, exactly. But it's white. Lotus is always fascinating. I never know where it's gonna go. Yeah, and I and I do like super care about Oh gosh, what's her name? And I'm gonna have to look it up, the one from the first season.
Speaker 2: I know what you're talking about. And she had a great show on that you got me hooked.
Speaker 1: On How How Not to Die?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm gonna look up her name where's the cast because I want to give her her props? Oh my god, you don't show her right away? What is wrong with you people? Natasha Rothwell, yes, she's so good. I super care about her character. I don't want anything bad to happen to her. And I really I really like Emmy Leewood, Amy Lee, Sorry, Amy? Who would? Who's playing Walter Goggin's like girlfriend. I think she's doing such a great job. I love Walter Goggins always. He's one of those people that's always great. Yes, like they're they're doing such such good work. I'm just I'm really enjoying it. It's just do I understand what's happening?
Speaker 2: No? I do not. No same here, but I watch it every week, like I watch it real time, like I can't wait. Also, we need to talk about MATTLOCKOK. Look, I have to say I think this show is so good, and I think I like what they're doing with the Mattlock character. So Maddie who's played by Kathy Bates, I mean, of course it's good. I mean I'm I'm like, why is she doing a TV series. I'm like, oh, this is why, because they probably her character is amazing. She plays this older woman in her seventies, sixties or seventies, and she's joining a law firm and she's telling them, my name is Maddy Mattlock.
Speaker 1: And just like the old TV show.
Speaker 2: She does like the TV show, and she really plays up like, you know, being the older lady. And I'm starting to pick up those cues like people just don't think you're dangerous, like you can kind of get away with more.
Speaker 1: You start to be invisible, you can, yes, yeah, And people aren't looking at you, they're not paying attention to you.
Speaker 2: And there's this there's a power in that if you use it correctly, and that's what she's doing. But she's her I love this show. Her her daughter died, her daughter was a drug addict and died. And then there's this she works for this law firm that represents this pharm pharmatological company that released some kind of medication that they knew could cause harm. And so she's the whole thing is so somehow it's tied to her daughter dying and this, and so she's go to find out who at the law firm knew what was going on and hid it from the public because it caused all this, all these deaths, and so you're like, is it Jason Ritter, Is it Lloyd Bridge not Lloyd bow Bridges. Is it Olympia? Is it? Like? Who is it? And that that she's becoming friends with, and it's like you're getting to Maddie and at first she's playing kind of this daffy older lady to get in with good with everybody, but then you realize, then you get to see her previous to this, and she was really hard on her daughter, like for being an addict and really was doing the tough love thing, like I think a little too hard, and so does her husband, which is an interesting dynamic. But the daughter's gone. She's raising the sun her her grandson. But she's lying to these people at this firm. So anyway, it's really cool.
Speaker 1: But she's and she's starting to really care about a lot of people at the law firm. So she's developed like a really sweet friendship with a Lympia who's her boss played by sky P Marshall, and they are starting to like be really close and like she's at a certain point she's like it couldn't be her, she wouldn't do this, right, but but it keeps swinging back around where it's like maybe she did, maybe she was involved. So there is all of that that this most recent episode, they introduced Julie Haggarty as Kathy Bas's sister, who's so good.
Speaker 2: Julie Haggerty does also daffy really well, so good.
Speaker 1: She's so good, so good.
Speaker 2: So I'm honest, I'm sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was just gonna say, I love that Kathy Bates' Mattlock based some of her quote unquote Mattlock character on her sister, so like her husband's all, just think of it as more research for your character that you're playing, because she's the one that's like I just keep buying all these words originals and I don't know why, and like she is, she's so daffy, Like, I just love it. It's so good.
Speaker 2: So I was saying, I did a Reddit group about Mattlock, and I said, I think the last shot of this season, it's the first season, it's gonna be Olympia showing up at Maddie's reelhouse. Yeah, that's how I think it's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Could be, could be, Like the creators behind this show are the same people who did Jane the Virgin, which I never wanted, but I have a friend who, my friend John loves Jane the Virgin, and that show had like its original like hook, you know, and then it turned into something else. So the Mystery of Mattlock can't. It's not sustainable. They can't do it forever, right, At a certain point, it's going to have to turn into something else, and I'm very curious what that's going to be.
Speaker 2: It's really well done.
Speaker 1: It is super well done, and I love the support cast. I look, Jason Ritter's killing it. He's I just I have such a soft spot for him because because of his dad.
Speaker 2: His dad was John Ritter, yeah, who I got to meet once a Good Morning America.
Speaker 1: And I bet he was lovely.
Speaker 2: He was so lovely and really tall, very handsome, yeah, but nice to everybody. Like he showed up on the set and it was one of those things like everybody kind of just stopped to look at him for a second because it's.
Speaker 1: J Yeah, and he has he has it. He had it. He's like he had arithma man. Yeah. I saw some tiktoks going around where So Jason Ritter is married to Melanie Lynskey Lynsky and they went to the Critics' Choice Awards, I guess. And she looks beautiful, right, She's like in a gorgeous like red sequin dress, and like all the commenters are like, can Jason Ridder fight, like, because I want to take your woman? And then he's been making all these videos of him like trying to fight.
Speaker 2: He's, oh, that's what that is, Okay, we're wondering what that was about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's like he's got like a mustache and he's like, yo, like trying to like fight, Like he's like you, you know, trying to defend his wife, you know, and everyone's like lol. All the comments are from lesbians that want you like he's going to be fighting all these win but they've been married for quite a while. It's very sweet, wholesome stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he seems very sweet and wholesome. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I hope, I hope that is true. I yeah, I hate to be wrong about him, but he's doing a good job on that show. Anything else on your list?
Speaker 2: No, that's it.
Speaker 1: Shall we talk about below? Deck down Under? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Such a great show, so good.
Speaker 1: So they got rid of the Sioux chef, like he's like Anthony, yeah, I don't like washing dishes or taking orders, and Jason's like, bitch bye. So they kick him off, and then shall we talk about that fuck boy? What's his name? Wihan Wiehan who?
Speaker 2: Like is he south African? I don't know. They usually the fuck boys are South African on below deck just to say, well, Zarina, they tend to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, She's like, I've got a little crush and she she tries real hard. She did this in the other season that she was on, right, like she likes wrapping her legs around him. She's doing everything.
Speaker 2: I love you. Yeah, she was like I love Sorry, that's a clip for next week, Like hello, I love you. How are you? It's like play it more chill, Yeah, nobody wants I mean she yeah, she really is. They I loved. Laura said on the ship they were on before that that Serena had a crush and a guy. So she took candy one day and like led this candy to her room, like laid it on the floor like hansoling Gretel with breadcrumbs, and Lara was like rolling her eyes. Yeah, She's like, dude, come on.
Speaker 1: Play a little hard to get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have some Yeah, I have some self respect.
Speaker 1: So she's like throwing herself at him. They play Truth or Dare and they kiss and all of this stuff. Then it turns out that Marina, one of the one of the billion, yeah, one of the stews, also like has a crush on him, so she like makes her move and then Zorena's like, she broke girl code and I'm like, he's not.
Speaker 2: Yours, he's not yours.
Speaker 1: It's exactly, there's no code to break here, right, And they go on a date and they come back and they make out and she's.
Speaker 2: All like, yeah I did that, blah blah blah, and we Hunt's like, yeah, that was fun. But I think I like a Dare, and a Dare is somebody who works for him.
Speaker 1: She's just underlings. Yes, it's not appropriate, and she looks.
Speaker 2: I love her because she is so wants to get daffy, like she's Southern and like everyone saile, like she sniffs her armpits and makes a sound or she's she's just goofy. But she's also like this gorgeous face, like she's really beautiful but doesn't play that up at all. Yeah, and I'm sure that's part of but she's also somebody who works for him. But at the end of the episode, Johnny, who's the Greek guy who lost lost his temper but and he think he gets somebody gets kicked off pretty soon. But Johnny and Adare are looking at a jet ski and they're both like, oh, this has got water in it. It's it's it's got a leak or something, and we Hank goes, nah, that's fine. Yeah, And so Johnny takes one of the passengers out who's afraid, who doesn't know how to swim, and he takes her. In the end, it like they basically eat shit in the water. This jet ski clips, it flips over, and then they showed if they if you go on YouTube, they showed like a few minutes for the next episode, and he basically we Haun is like, so Johnny and a Dare like, yeah, this stupid thing like was leaking. We shouldn't have given it to somebody, And we Haunt is very snaky and trying to make it sound like he had this idea of like, oh, I know what to do to fix it. When it sucked up because of you, dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, well, and he took like Laurie's idea of the check list for the day, and he just took credit for it like it was his idea when it was her idea to come up with it. And Harry is the one who like told him what would actually go on the checklist, Like.
Speaker 2: He's a real he didn't know that. Yeah, he's a snake, so it'll be of.
Speaker 1: Course, And of course he wants the one girl who's like not interested, right, like but just just move by the way.
Speaker 2: It's yeah you can't and yeah, no it's not okay, but yeah, exactly, like that's his immediate reaction.
Speaker 1: What a fucking creep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a fun boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're not watching. You started the new season of Severance and you're like, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I just couldn't get into it, So I said to so, oh yeah, I'm going to give it a few more maybe a couple more episodes, and then do a binge. Yeah, because I know people are really into it. I liked it last year very much. But it is kind of weird and slow too, Like it's just a pace that the show has that you kind of have.
Speaker 1: To be in the mood for I loved the first season. Loved the first season, thought it was so good, couldn't wait for it to come back. And now it's back, and I am very much into I'm very interested in the part of the idea that somebody would choose to like put an implant in their brain so that they could go to work and not be really themselves for like eight hours, to be a totally different person for eight hours and then go home and not know what you did all day. I think the idea of like separating they you know, they talk about its like in Ease and outis you know. I think all of that stuff is super interesting. But this second season, and I'm not I'm not spoiling anything for you, is spending a lot of time on why that company exists and like the history of that company and all of the and I was like, I'm not as really into that hart as everyone else seems to be, and they're spending a lot of time on that stuff, and so I'm finding myself less engaged this season. But everyone I know, everyone around me is obsessed. And I love a show that it's like you can be as obsessed or not obsessed as you want to be right, Like, I don't excuse me. I don't want to do homework to watch a show, like I just want to watch it. But I know other people who love that, Like they love to like dig in and watch all the TikTok takes and you know, go in the reddit forums and did you know about this and that and all. I love that that's a thing that people can take from a show. I just want to watch it. But the like history of the company they work for is less interesting to me than the I guess am emotional component of the show. So I've been finding myself. Yeah I'm not as connected. Yeah, but I I think I might be a outlier, an outlier on this one, because everyone else I know is quite obsessed. So that's why I was asking you about it earlier, because I was like, maybe maybe maybe it's I'm not saying it's just me. I'm not that special. I'm sure there's other people who are like, fuck that show, it's up its own ass. But hmm, there are parts about that. I really I love John Taturo. And by the way, John Taturo is like my favorite part.
Speaker 2: He's so great he's so great.
Speaker 1: We just watched The Big Lebowski last weekend.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I'm thinking of, right.
Speaker 1: And he's just so fucking good.
Speaker 3: He's she's so good and playing like people and people who are just a little off like, he's just so he's so good.
Speaker 1: I love him. He was in a HBO limited series called The Night of Do you remember that one? He plays like a lawyer and Riz Ahmed is a guy who is like wrongly accused of something, and John Taturo is the lawyer that represents him. It's the first episode of it gave me anxiety. It was so fucking good. Highly recommend. The other thing I wanted to talk about was the movie Heart Eyes, which just it's called heart Eyes like Hearts, like Hearth Heart Heart, and it's like a romantic comedy slasher movie. It doesn't think it might include a few people, you know. Actually it's got in supporting roles. It's got Jorddane, a Brewster from I'm Sure.
Speaker 2: Dana, Sorry, sorry, now I go somebody his friends with her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's in there from the Fast and Furious movies. And then Beautiful She is beautiful. And then Devin Sawah was in he's in it too, both of them in supporting roles. Is like the cops investigating. But basically it's about like there's a there's a slasher running through towns and he wears a mask and the mask has like heart eyes, and he kills people on Valentine's Day, people who are out and like in love, and part of me is like, I fucking get it whatever, but he like mistakes this like these two co workers who actually don't really get along, he mistakes them for a couple and he targets them, and that's kind of the whole gist of the movie. And then there's like a big reveal at the end that's like really fucking stupid. And I just actively hated it in a way that I haven't hated a movie what wow like. And it was one where I was like, I can't believe I rented this, and I really wanted to like it because I think there's a really good idea here about like the fact, like there is a romantic comedy slasher that could be made here, but unfortunately the two leads. It's like the lead woman is like she plays an ad executive who works for like a jewelry company, and she designs this whole jewelry ad around like like infamous couples who die, and then her boss is like, how dare you because there's this murderer going around killing all these couples. And she's like and I'm like, girl, read the room, like did you do any Like she's stupid, She's so stupid, and we're supposed to feel sorry for her. And then they bring in some and I'm sorry. His name is Mace Gooding, that's the actor, and he's just like so like he could be in a Hallmark holiday movie. It's like, so there's like no chemistry between them. You don't believe them as a couple, you don't believe them as adversaries. Like I just never believe them at any point. If it was like a real if these were like movie stars that you wanted to get together, this movie might have worked. But instead I was like, she's an idiot and he's nothing. So I was like, I don't care. I don't care. Devin sa Yes, that's so. Yeah, he's playing one of the cops, so three cops. Yes, that's yes, it's just and I really wanted to like it, really really wanted to like it. Because I do think there's a really good idea here, and I think the casting let it down and it's got a real dumb ending, Like real dumb.
Speaker 2: Did you pay nineteen ninety nine for it?
Speaker 1: I did? And I hate myself?
Speaker 2: You hate? Do you hate yourself? Now? Sorry?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do hate myself now. I give myself no heart eyes. I did not rent it on Amazon, just in case anyone is wondering, because I'm trying not to do that. So I watched it on Apple, which is better or not? Do you decide? But yeah, that's where I rented it, and I was like, well, that was a fucking mistake, So lesson learned. I have a friend who tried to warn me I should take her advice in the future, so I cannot recommend. I'm sorry everybody. I usually like to give us stuff that it's good to watch, but there's always.
Speaker 3: Madlock and Elsbeth Yep and Hoosiers.
Speaker 2: Yes, there you go. It's a perfect night. Last night, I have to say I went to bed in a really good mood.
Speaker 1: I like, yeah, it's because it's it's so entertainment. It's so good. Did you start the Charles Manson documentary at all?
Speaker 2: Oh, what's that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. There's some new Charles Manson documentary. I don't know if I have the stomach for it, to be honest.
Speaker 2: So, but they're kind of over Manson. I've I've watched so much Manson in my life. It's like who else is left to talk to? Yeah, you know, once they found Gypsy, I was totally I was totally fine.
Speaker 1: They started. I started it and they were like opening it with like they were playing one of his songs, and I was like, oh, I don't want to music.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, if you're going to try to like, I don't know, I guess. I'm like if they're trying to like make him like interesting or like people are like I think his music is really great, like fuck off, Like I don't. I'm like, I guess, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, I don't give a shit of his music. It's good or not, that doesn't mean anything to me. He was a fucking murderer. He beat women, he he was a misogynist, He killed people, He had people kill other people on his behalf. Fuck him. He was a loser, a totally huge, fucking loser. And yeah, I'm over it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well. Also, they're like, why why do you think people followed him? Why do you think he you know, why would they do his bidding? And I was like, I don't know, man, why don't you interview some fucking Trump supporters right now and find out why exactly? I was like, I don't have time for you to go back and talk to fucking Charles Manson people. I'm like, do one on these weirdoh's right?
Speaker 2: The people who actually vote against their interests? Yes, so many people once again, like I was on TikTok, and it's people like I voted for him three times. I worked for the Defense Department. I worked from home, and this was my job, and then I got fired and I'm really upset about it because I didn't want that. Like who did you want to hurt with your vote? By the way, yeah, you wouldn't mind other people being bactly. So that's why if we're laughing and you're wondering why that's it. Yeah, you did it because you thought you liked him being a bully. You like the fact that he's a bully. Yep. You think he's smart, So you're not very smart, you know, you think he's a good businessman, you don't. You know, you lack that. I mean you lack empathy. That's a problem. You really lack.
Speaker 1: Empathought he was going to hurt other people.
Speaker 2: He was going to hurt the gays, the trans kids, not me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, fuck you seriously, fuck you. Did you see that? My governor has a new podcast and he had Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 2: On, and then he's also like, yeah, trans.
Speaker 1: It's not fair to have trans people playing and sport. And I was like, fuck you, No, not voting for you now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, Like, if your platform is hey, let's throw vulnerable, let's.
Speaker 2: Have a conversation with Charlie Kirk, the duest human being alive.
Speaker 1: Way, we don't need to convince that asshole of shit.
Speaker 2: Why do we have to bridge with him? Why? Why? Why? No, he's wrong, he's fucked up and wrong. No, I don't have to bridge with that.
Speaker 1: No, I don't have to either.
Speaker 2: No, no, no.
Speaker 1: And if your political strategy is like I'm gonna throw like vulnerable communities under the bus right so I can win elections, fuck no, no, yeah, I want to throw you into the ocean, like hell no, that is a no for meat dog. I'm not going to vote for you. And I've been a newsome defender. I have been a big like people talk a lot of shit and I'm like, no, no, there's a desire for public service there, like he's doing the best he can and the political no, no, no, not gonna do it. So anyway, and that is I'll just get off my soapbox now and put this aside. There we go.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: If you like the sound of our voices after our political rant, you might like our other podcast called what a Creep, where we talk about creeps in the past and the present. Right now, our episode that is out is about the Billionaire Boys Club with a Joe Hunt. Joe Hunt, Mike not Mike Hunt.
Speaker 2: It's Joe Hunt. It's the eighties, y'all. We got very chueven All with her jokes.
Speaker 1: Why not you have to you have to so And we had a really great non creep at the end of that episode. So feel free to join us there. And my friend, where can people find you on the Internet?
Speaker 2: You can find me at Brooklynfitchick dot com. I'm at Brooklyn Fitchick for Threads and Instagram, and I'm a Brooklyn Margo for TikTok and Blue Sky and my YouTube is at my name Margo Donahue.
Speaker 1: Y'all follow her on all the things. Her new book is coming out very soon and she is sharing all kinds of great clips. I can't. I've already pre ordered my book.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah, I've had a few people tell me and I'm thank you, thank you so much because it gets the publisher excited. Yeah. If people are getting excited, and I'm trying to get to do the audiobook, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone should be getting excited because it's going to be fucking dope.
Speaker 2: Let's hope.
Speaker 1: So it is it is, I know.
Speaker 2: So uh.
Speaker 1: You can find me at the Sonya Show dot com and the Sonya Show on Blue Sky and threads and Instagram sometimes and TikTok sometimes. And you can find dorking Out at dorkinoutshow dot com. Leave us a review wherever you get your podcasts. That would be great help helps us find our people. Somebody left us a review on Apple. Yes, it was don in Northern California. She said, I look forward to the show every week. These are these two are smart and funny and they love it when Adam joins the show and they said stay for the Rex at the end, there's always something fun or thoughtful to learn.
Speaker 2: Ah, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Don We appreciate you, Ross Do. We appreciate you. Reviews help us find our people, So thank you for doing that.
Speaker 2: If I could tell a friend about the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would go to Spotify, but Spotify won't let me see. So if you're leaving reviews there, I appreciate you. Thanks for doing that. Or you can also email us at Dorking Out Show at gmail dot com. If you give us your address, Margot will send you stickers because she's a good human who does that for people. And we take requests, so you could send us a request quest as well. We've done I think Double Jeopardy was a request.
Speaker 2: That we did that like right away too, Like they told us on a Tuesday, and like the next day, we're like, yeah, let's do that one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We love a request. It makes our dape so easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did it with what a creep Actually, Nathan, Hi Nathan, he listens to both shows and he gave me an idea and it was a week like I couldn't think of anything, so I just did his and he was super psyched about it.
Speaker 1: We love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love.
Speaker 1: It so fall and dorky and out. Show is also on threads and Blue Sky and Instagram and uh, well it's not on TikTok, but I am and Margo is, so you could find that there. Margo, thanks for talking about Hoosiers with me. This was super fun. I love it so much. Hickory Batt