Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. That's a story in the Business Insider this morning about money dysmorphia that millennials and Gen zers are more prone to experiencing this, that they they.
Speaker 2: Are caused significant.
Speaker 1: Stress by worries about money, to which I say, they're young people.
Speaker 2: That's not body dysmorphia.
Speaker 1: That's being twenty two and broke, just like every other twenty two year old in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not a condition.
Speaker 1: It goes back to us labeling every life experience as some sort of condition.
Speaker 3: It's not. It is not being completely normal.
Speaker 4: Just being A park fire up in northern California is up now three hundred and ninety two thousand acres eighteen percent contained of Nixon Fire burning out in near Temeculus just over five thousand acres is only about fourteen percent contained.
Speaker 1: A historic prisoner swamp today among six countries, twenty four different prisoners.
Speaker 3: It's where we kick off swamp watch.
Speaker 5: Swamp is horrible.
Speaker 3: The government doesn't work. Man make it like a reality TV show. Corn was a bad deus, always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington.
Speaker 5: D C.
Speaker 6: Hey Joe, a town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 3: I have to watch a Milwaukee.
Speaker 7: Nobody said drained the swamp.
Speaker 3: I said, oh, that's so keep yepp mansh.
Speaker 8: You know the thing families and I were able to speak to them on telephone from the Oval Office. They're out of Russia earlier today, they're flown to Turkey, and soon there'll be wheels up on their way home to see their families.
Speaker 4: That was the right At the beginning of the show. President Biden made made it official from the White House, standing with the families of some of the people who have been freed by Russia.
Speaker 1: So we got a journalist back, we got a couple journalists back print and radio, and we got a veteran back, and Russia got its way.
Speaker 2: Frankly, that's kind of the takeaway.
Speaker 1: Yes, it feels good, it's great, it's wonderful for these families, but Russia and Putin got their way. They get back their usual basket of criminals, including Adam Krasokov, a colonel in the Russian intelligence services. He was sentenced to life in Germany after carrying out a Kremlin ordered hit on a Russian dissident in Berlin. Moscow's shopping list also included Russian money launderer and two Russian spies.
Speaker 4: The president, this is an interesting thing, a fact that came out of the Wall Street Journal reporting on this. He obviously notified the world a week and a half ago that he was going to step out of the presidential race. About an hour before he made that announcement, he called the Prime Minister of Slovenia. They were contributing a couple of convicted Russian spies to part of this, to make sure that they could secure the pardon necessary for the deal to proceed. The CIA director went to Turkey last week to meet his counterpart and to finalize all of the logistics for all of this.
Speaker 1: And I love the victory lap and I love that we all feel good about this, and this was a successful, complicated situation. But the reality is that the Russians are just good at taking hostages. They arrest people on trumped up charges and then agree to free them for very very very bad.
Speaker 3: People, very asymmetrical.
Speaker 4: We tend to have, you know, a legal system in this country, and that even if you are not an American citizen, but that you are caught in this country, we put you through the legal system for the most part, right and Russia does not do that. Russia can pick up whoever they want, whenever they want, and you know, either completely blow things out of proportion, like Britney Grinder's drug conviction, or completely make them up, like saying that Evan Gershkevich was an was a CIA agent.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the ways that they tried to get that killer back is when they grabbed Britney Griner. That wasn't going to work because America couldn't go to Germany and say, hey, they've got one of ours or another one of ours, get rid of this guy or release this guy. The reason that they were able to do that, or that Germany was able to save face, I guess you could say and agree to this is because one of the hostages released was a German citizen who was arrested in Russia for gummies, gummies, cannabis gummies.
Speaker 4: So one of the issues that has come up foreign policy experts. We'll talk about this for a long time. Like you suggested earlier, there will be books written about the machinations that go into this.
Speaker 3: Movies will be made about this.
Speaker 4: Michael Allen is a foreign policy expert who worked for the Bush administration and talked that I said, I should say that the timing of this may have something to do with the fact that Joe Biden is the lamest of lame duck presidents that we've seen.
Speaker 6: You know, I think a lot of this has to do with the withdrawal of President Biden not running again next time.
Speaker 2: I think he's.
Speaker 6: Able to go to some NATO allies maybe with heavy heart, and say, listen, I understand that this Russian committed murder in a park in front of children inside of Munich, but we're trying to do a historic deal here. Let's win one for the Gipper, if you will, let us have a little bit of room in order to trade this particular Russian. So I think Biden is leaning hard on friends and especially NATO allies, so that he can try and get a grand deal.
Speaker 4: And again, Michael Allen said that a couple hours before the President talked about the negotiations.
Speaker 8: Made this possible was the feet of diplomacy and friendship. Friendship vulnerable countries help get this done. They joined a difficult complex negotiations at my request, and I personally thank them all again. I thank them personally.
Speaker 3: I'll thank them again. You'd have to be friends to make some of that deal. Hey, Gary and Shannon and this Mandy. I just thought it was so funny because as soon as you say, Shannon, as soon as you said.
Speaker 5: Show me your genitals, I started singing that song.
Speaker 3: And then he started sing that song. I was like, man, this show has really warped me in a good way. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I was hoping I was alone genital and that your genitals show me your genitals.
Speaker 3: In the middle of swamp watch.
Speaker 9: Jerry Shannon.
Speaker 3: Yes, dumb question. Yeah, if Kamala Harris becomes president, what's going to be the first man? It's going to be the first like the first gentleman, isn't that Doug?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Doug?
Speaker 3: M huff un huff huffy.
Speaker 2: Did he think she was not married?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's what it was.
Speaker 4: I did see a great tweet the other day that said, if she's elected president, he should forego the title of first gentlemen and just go by Doug so that when they do a big formal introduction, they say ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Madam Kamala Harris and Doug that would be great.
Speaker 9: Why do people defend Britney Griner. She wasn't set up. She brought drugs into a place where you're not allowed to have drugs. She knew what she was doing. She took the chance. That's ridiculous. Stop defending her. She should have served her sentence there and she should have been punished because she brought dope into a place where they don't like dope. Just amazing.
Speaker 4: Stop it, okay, please, we were saying that she held as a political prisoner for the amount of hash oil that she was caught with. The normal sentence is about two weeks in jail. If that and she got nine years as a sentence. That was the problem with it, not defending or she that was a stupid move on her part, but also they took advantage of her stupid move and tried to make it into a giant thing.
Speaker 1: Kids, don't take drugs on your travels, okay, don't take drugs, Just general and buy.
Speaker 2: Him when you get there.
Speaker 1: A man in Orange County, the one accused of running that betting operation whose customers included shohe Atani's former interpreter. He has agreed to plead guilty to a trio of federal charges. Matthew Boyer is his name. He's expected to flee guilty next week to charges of operating an unlawful gambling business, money laundering, and filing a false tax return.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You can't really run an illegal gambling without filing a false tax return, can you?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: So President, don't we all kind of file false tax returns?
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 4: How dare you?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: We all take liberties.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you speak of.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't do your own taxes.
Speaker 1: That's not true. That's true. Do you prepare your taxes?
Speaker 3: I do not? You do not?
Speaker 2: Case closed? You can you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 4: National Association Black Journalists, we played for you yesterday.
Speaker 3: This was President Trump.
Speaker 7: She was always of Indian heritage, and she was only promoting Indian heritage. I didn't know she was black until a number of years ago when she happened to turn black, and now she wants to be known as black. So I don't know is she Indian or is she black?
Speaker 1: She is always college.
Speaker 7: I respect either one.
Speaker 9: But she obviously doesn't.
Speaker 1: Could he have said something like she used to always when I knew her years ago, she was always leaning into Indian heritage. Could he have said something like that and gotten away with it. He's very nuanced in his speech. I'm just wondering or if it's just all off the table. People on both sides of the aisle condemned him for that. Texas Senator John Corny.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think we're all a combination of something right.
Speaker 11: And so, but I'm not going to get involved in the back and forth.
Speaker 3: South Carolina Senator Lindsay Graham. I'm known the Vice president for a while.
Speaker 6: She's always embraced her heritage proudly as she should. My problem with Vice President Harris's the policy choices she's made.
Speaker 3: And then Dick Durbin, Senator out Illinois, after what he put.
Speaker 11: Barack Obama through. It's no surprise, but it is a disappointment. We need to raise the rhetoric in this race to a level where the American people can be proud of both Canada.
Speaker 2: Please, what a Pollyanna? I love your optim Okay. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Trump first got involved in politics when he called for remember the long form birth certificate for Barack Obama, and there was a bunch of time where Barack O I almost like, screw this. I'm like, there's no reason for this, and then eventually had to release it and uh, speaking to a sorority. Uh, Kamala Harris said that his speech was the same old show, same old show, same old show. I almost thought she wanted to say a different word. There a different Oh.
Speaker 10: Donald Trump spoke at the annual meeting of the National Association of Black Journalists, and it was the same old show, the divisiveness and the disrespect.
Speaker 3: See, I thought she was going to say something else.
Speaker 1: See, there were some people who who sent us propaganda about her, just uh, you know, pictures of her dressed in Indian garb and things, family photos and things, and saying, you know, this is not a black family or what have you. And people true believers that believe that they're that maybe she isn't black or that she turned black, which is troubling, as opposed to at least one of our coworkers who's a super Trump guy and was just like, I love it. It's hilarious. I love that guy. I love everything he says. He doesn't take him seriously, but just loves him. The entertainment, the entertainment of it all.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 4: Where to the point where you either have to care a lot about her heritage and how she identifies, or you have to care.
Speaker 3: None at all.
Speaker 4: And I can't figure out which one we're supposed to be. Do I care? Do I care whether she identifies as Indian or Black or some combination thereof?
Speaker 2: Are you just German? Are you more things?
Speaker 4: I'm very mutty, very North European. Maybe a little Welsh, a lot of Welsh. Really, I just nailed that. Look at me, and there's there's some there's some you know, there's some other stuff that gets in there that would add to my flavor.
Speaker 1: Perhaps, Yeah, Pacific islander. I don't know there's any Pacific islander. But there are some other far fle, far fetched portions of the globe from whence my DNA came.
Speaker 4: Really, yeah, it's weird, Trust me, it's weird. Where far flung where there were some from Africa and some from South America? Interesting at least in whatever I spit into a cup and sent it.
Speaker 3: In the mail. What did they know? Ethnic? I know? That's exactly what people say to me all the time.
Speaker 1: Mark Saltzman is our tech guru and we like to talk to him at this time on Thursdays.
Speaker 3: The machines are getting smarter. This is tech Talk, brought to you by Skynet.
Speaker 1: Well, we are hitting the road this summer, and Google Maps is the lane we drive in most of the time. Mark Saltzman has some tips and tricks to try during your summer travel.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Hey, first of all, happy Thursday, or as they say, happy Little Friday. And yeah, it's that time of the year where you know, I don't know if this is the same in Socow where people hit the road in the summer because you have like steady, beautiful weather.
Speaker 3: All year round.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, I don't know about all year round, but oh yeah, please, Well we only have three hundred and sixty five days, about three hundred and sixty of them are really good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, fair, fair, So in many other parts of the country, this is the time where you load up the kids they may not be back in school yet, and you head out on the road.
Speaker 3: So I wrote a piece on how to leverage.
Speaker 5: Google Maps, which many of us use, or Ways which is owned by Google. Now, by the way and Ways to get pun intended to get more out of the mapping app that you know and love.
Speaker 3: So a couple little things that you may not know your Google Maps can do.
Speaker 5: One of them is, if you don't have a healthy data plan with your mobile phone, or you're traveling out of the country and you have to pay for data through a carrier, a mobile phone carrier provider, you can download maps to use offline.
Speaker 3: You just go into the options.
Speaker 5: You select the destination before you go, or when you're on free Wi Fi, like at the hotel, and then you go into the options and you can choose offline maps and you will be able to see the map an overhead view of the map, and make sure you just draw with your finger how big you want, like do you want all of New York for example, it will be it'll use up more data than just one little neighborhood within New York, but it'll be all offline, so will not tap into your data, which is especially good when you're overseas. Another one is if you're going to say Disneyland or a national park, where you find where you've parked, it's going to be very tough to find it later because it's like a massive parking lot. We've all been there, especially parents who are just exhausted and you're kind of on autopilot.
Speaker 3: You park and you don't remember where you put the minivan.
Speaker 5: Afterwards, you can many apps will now automatically pin where you've parked, not just Google Maps but others as.
Speaker 4: Well, or will it give you actual walking directions back to it. I mean that's the whole thing, right, Well, that's pretty great because the lower version of that is you take a snap a picture of Donald Ducks Section E or something. Yeah, exactly, you're in the you know, lot e seventeen, or you look for a landmark, you know. So that is something that's indy, is that Google Maps will remember where you parked, or if you if it's not set up to do so automatically, you just tap this little button at the bottom of the screen before you if you can remember that as you're multitasking with holding kids and strollers and car seats and all that, it will give you step by step directions back to your car with some degree of accuracy. It's using GPS, it down to a couple of feet, so it.
Speaker 3: Should be, you know, cool at that point.
Speaker 5: At that point you just use your fob to make it, you know, make your vehicle make a noise helpful.
Speaker 2: Going to a football game or after a football game.
Speaker 3: That's another good application.
Speaker 1: I see that or lost after a game. It's so file because people don't remember that. They just they're excited to go to the game. They just park somewhere and then they I'm out of the stadium in a different spot, and they're completely turned around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good one.
Speaker 5: If your listeners have tweens or teens and they are starting to venture out on their own, but you want a little bit of peace of mind, you can use location sharing. So it's you know, the deal is, okay, I'm going to let you go to your whatever friend's house, but I want to be able to see where you are. So that's an opt in feature to share with family members where you're meeting up and they can keep an eye on you digitally, you know, just as a safety production precaution. There's a bunch of other tips. If you're in this article. There's something new called immersive view that leverages AI. It's kind of like that, you know, the real photos that you can see, you know, or augmented reality view through your phone's lens. When you're traveling somewhere new, it'll give you information about like the Eiffel Tower, for example. But immersive view takes to the next level.
Speaker 3: Very cool.
Speaker 4: That's that's one I've seen where you could stand on a street corner, right, I assume the augmented reality version of that, where you you could look around and it will tell you which restaurants, for example, are nearby.
Speaker 3: Or Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: But just be careful if you are on a street corner that you aren't looking at your phone, even if you are looking through your phone's camera lens and you can still see the world around you, you know, just just exercise some extra caution around traffic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's lots more.
Speaker 5: There's the ability to locate ev charging stations through Google Maps, finding bike or scooter scooter rentals u doing so there's a lot. So if you just google Google Maps or tips and Tricks and my name Mark Saltsman, Mark with a C, Saltsman with a Z, you'll be able to find all these little hacks. The newest one I'll leave you with is called It's it's basically the ability to see when the most popular times are at a destination. So you know what to expect. Right, So there's a trendy cafe in Beverly Hills. You can scroll down to find at that says popular times, and you'll know how busy it should be, whether you're traveling or you're just in your own hometown. It could. It will vary in real time throughout the day and give you a sense. Similarly, if you haven't done this before, when you're looking to Google directions somewhere but you're not leaving just yet. Let's say you're leaving the next morning, it will take into account using data what the average time should be when you say you're going to leave, Like tomorrow morning at eight am is going to be different in la as we would know than you know on three o'clock, or maybe not, because you know, rush hour is kind of a thing of the past these days.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, Mark, the other article you wrote is about something I'm afraid that we need, which is a parcel guard, a personal parcel box to prevent people from stealing the stuff that you order online.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I've written about ports pirates a lot over the years, and you know your ring doorbell can only do so much. It's not going to really, Yeah, sure it can act as a bit of a deterrent, but if the thief doesn't care or they're covering face, it's.
Speaker 3: It's only going to be a to turn or maybe some.
Speaker 5: Video evidence after your package has been lifted. And so what's becoming more popular. So there's a few things you can do to lower the odds of your your packages getting stolen. And if we are traveling more this summer, just to tie it into our last topic, then you aren't at home to accept packages. So one is a parcel box or your own personal mailbox that can take boxes as well that you would put on your porch, and you can secure them to you know, a little fence if you have there. Some of them come with like a little chain lock or you know something like that padlock, or you can secure it to the wall if you're up for that, or just put some sandbags inside at the bottom. But the idea is that it's big enough to accept a few boxes there as low as you know, under a hundred box that if you do like to shop online and you're not as home that much these days, you can go with those. Now, those are the ones that are under one hundred bucks, are just a regular dumb box with a mechanical key. There are some quote unquote smart parcel boxes that have cameras and sensors that will push a notification to your phone when the door has been opened, and they'll snap a picture of the person dropping it in and all that kind of stuff. But if you don't need that, then they're pretty cheap.
Speaker 3: That's one option.
Speaker 5: Another is to rent a po box through you know ups sorry usps. Yeah, you have to make an extra trip on the way home from work to pick up that package, but it's better than that package not being there. So yeah, you can rent a box or send it to you know, to work if your boss is okay with it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: With Amazon, for example, you can pull down the options and choose another address. And then, finally, with Amazon, there is an option called in in Sorry, it's called key in Garage Delivery Amazon key in Garage Delivery. As the name suggests, you are letting a vetted driver punch in a one time unique code so you don't have to give out your real garage key code. If you have a little keypad and.
Speaker 1: We each got a piece of mail here, Uh, does yours have any white powder in it?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: But it's got It's quite a menagerie of fellow addresses.
Speaker 3: It's got you and I, it's got Petress and money.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's an interesting.
Speaker 3: Rodney and Fred.
Speaker 1: This is a This appears to be on manifesto, is it not. I write you all for a couple of reasons. First of all, I'd like to attend your remote broadcast whenever I can.
Speaker 3: It's a picture of Abraham's.
Speaker 2: Pets and money. You guys have a remote this Friday.
Speaker 4: So Terry Bradshaw.
Speaker 2: Terry Bradshaw's involved in this.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you Why wouldn't he be Woodlawn? There's a football field.
Speaker 2: This is a long letter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: There's a lot going on here.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 2: It's important that we have.
Speaker 3: Texas.
Speaker 2: It's important that we have connections with people, right yep. Is this where JFK was shot Dealey Plaza?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's a tire bill.
Speaker 12: Yeah okay, I mean once it started going off the rails, figured tire.
Speaker 2: Tire bill.
Speaker 4: A good news story, a toddler was rescued out of an underground PVC pipe in mound Ridge, Kansas. Congrats to the mound Ridge Police Department. They said that This fourteen month old boy was understandably shaken after having fallen into a sump pump drain pipe while playing outside.
Speaker 2: A PVC pipe.
Speaker 4: Ten to twelve inches across is what they said boy fell into the drain According to the Mound Ridge EMS director Brian Falco, kids are always a concern, especially small kids, because at that age they don't communicate. He's not going to follow instructions. It's not like an adult, but ten to twelve feet deep. Police specifically commended one of the officers. They identified him as Officer Ronnie Wagner. They said that he was able to construct a makeshift catch pole using a smaller PVC pipe and a rope.
Speaker 2: Hey, you've you've rescued a baby before.
Speaker 1: I mean it wasn't a PVC pipe in the ground, but it was a hot car. Do you think if you came across this baby in this hole that you would be able to fashion something to rescue said baby?
Speaker 10: Feel like?
Speaker 4: Chris Little asked me that question in my job interview here. If you ran across a baby now down at the bottom of a sump pump, would you be able to His.
Speaker 1: Question was like, what if somebody dropped you into like a tank or a blender. Yeah, and how would you get out? I mean, how did Chris Little ask us that question? In us not call somebody and just a rack away from the desk and say, you know what, on second thought, there's a red flag here, folks. This guy's criminally insane.
Speaker 4: The creative solution, they said from Officer Ronnie Wagner, was instrumental in lifting the child safely from the pipe. Police thank first responders for their work and rescuing the toddler. Police said, we extend our deepest gratitude to all the first responders for their swift and effective action and that transformed a dangerous situation into a successful rescue. But they don't get into specifically, is what do they refer What do they mean by a catch pull?
Speaker 3: I mean, I when they said that, it sounds.
Speaker 4: Like they kind of put a loop of the of the rope through the smaller PBC pipe, so it had a loop at the bottom of it. Yeah, but then they could tie it at the top so that it doesn't just fall back down the pipe when you grab the baby.
Speaker 2: I wonder what this baby's name is. They don't tell you. They don't tell us.
Speaker 1: I mean I feel like I'm pretty invested with this baby and the pipe.
Speaker 4: And does the baby? Will the baby remember this? Fourteen months? I don't know if a baby remembers that.
Speaker 3: No, the baby would not remember that. Babies remember weird stuff. Do they do you remember anything?
Speaker 1: I do have one memory that's pretty clear. But here's the thing, you know, you never know. Memories are so unreliable. But I have a memory of being in a stroller.
Speaker 3: You sound like a prosecutor.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: I covered enough trials to believe in that theory. I remember being in a stroller at Meewalk Park, at Mewalk Park, Yeah, and my mom getting something out of the car or whatever.
Speaker 2: I lost sight of her and was terror.
Speaker 1: It's the first feeling of terror that I can remember, feeling of where did she go?
Speaker 3: You know, well, fear of abandonment.
Speaker 1: It's probably goes back to, you know, being adopted, right right? I mean, I don't know if all babies the mom goes out of sight and they have a freaking conneption. My dog does that? Yeah, well he was adopted too, Yes he was.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio Lab