Speaker 1: Taddy, y'all, and welcome to the Deep Blue Sea the Podcast. On this a here show, we've been through the whole Deep Blue Sea trilogy, scene bass scene. We're doing it again, but not today. Today we're targeting about a Western. We don't get to do that much on this here show, so I get to start the show like this.
Speaker 2: And no more of that. Talk about Rango today. I am Ja Clow. I'm your host, Jake Cluer. I like doing Western voices when I can sometimes. What about Rango? It's our year of reptiles, and hey, Rango stars a chameleon, and I love Rango, so I wanted to talk about it. That's what we're doing. What is Rango? It was a twenty eleven film directed by Coorovinski, starring Johnny Depp, Ida Fisher, Abbigil, President, Alfred Molina, Bill Nye, Haroydine Stanton Ray Winston, timoth Yonovant, Stephen Root In like five roles stacked cast of people doing funny Western voices in this film about a hampered theatrical chameleon who gets ejected from his cozy but lonely lifestyle and stumbles onto the town of Dirt, where there's some water crisis. The water is the currency. The bank holds the water, the bank's run dry. It's a metaphor. I don't know what it's. It's very vague. I just could be for anything. I don't know. We'll get into it. So no Mark today, but I have a wonderful guest. It's his third time on the show. He loves animated films, so he's the perfect guest for this one. From Blueprint Review. It's Andy Gording. Andy, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: Hi Jay, it's great to be back. During that on introduction, I was just weighing up my options as to whether I sho Western voice as well, but I'm I couldn't. I couldn't see myself getting away with it, so I decided to come on as knee.
Speaker 2: That's why early on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's always it was a pleasure to talk to you day. It's a shame Mark couldn't be here. But when you said the email saying that that Mark can't make it today, honestly I was there was a slight disappointment, and then there was an element of relief because you just have to be so on your toes with Mark when it comes to unpredictable tangents. I've said before, I think I think you and Mark are one of the great comedy double acts when it comes to podcasting. And obviously I've got you both as Facebook friends now, so I know what you look like. But back before that, when I used to listen to you, I used to picture you as a sort of abane and sort of endlessly patient British dog owner and Mark as a sort of anthropomorphic labrador puppy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's there's some episodes where I feel like I'm just hanging on for your life. See where is this going? When it's just like just me. Then we tend to talk about the film where Marks marks and Yeah.
Speaker 3: You're more likely to ask something like what did you think of Deep Blue cy two? Mark is likely to have something like so if if a shark ever he've dropped on you, what would that conversation be about? And how would that shark use that information against you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, which something we'll be talking about very soon because we are gearing up for our Deep Blue Seed to coverage. I am currently working on the script for it. It's going through line by line, listening to it and just just getting back into the deep Spirit of Things, but you watched it recently for the first time. I don't want to go into it too much because we will of course have you on as a guest for that season. But any initial thoughts, any regrets at this point that you'll be coming on to talk about, well.
Speaker 3: I looked onlikes. I've bought a copy of this from ourselves, as I did with the previous Deeply Uh. I looked online. I saw the strong feelings about this film online. It's got I think it's got like a one point eight on letterbox or something like that, and everyone talks about how what a disaster it is. And people kept saying that it's just dumb, and I thought that's the worst thing a film can be for me. It's just dulle So I went into it with very low expectations. But I comed through to try and find a positive review. First of all. One of that I found just said sharks are never done, and I agree. I actually had a fun time with Deep Blue C two. I think you've got it about right with your letterbox rating, which is two point five stars. It's not it's not a good film, but it's not boring at all.
Speaker 2: When when people ask us about the sequels, We say two is fun. Three is good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because because next time I come on here, I'll watch three and I see that that it's quite a lot of love.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I think the main issue people have with two is it feels like it's trying to do one again. Yeah, likes it follows a lot of the similar beats, but on a much smaller budget and kind of sillier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with the whole plot's kind of B movie thing that there's a charm to that that that small scale version of the the original.
Speaker 2: Whereas three is its own beast. It actually follows directly on from two, but the only continuing characters are the sharks. In the two, there are some sharks out there, they don't solve the problem, and so three is like, well there's some sharks out there, what happens next. It's a different thing, it's a different beast, and it's well done. It's very good. And because we have the director and star on the.
Speaker 3: Show, I can listen now I've seen it, because there's a lot I liked about it. I like Michael Beach, like Nathan Lynn's performance, but he's good. I like some of the effects are quite cool. The partially eaten face at the window.
Speaker 2: And a guy gets perforated in half my little baby, that's very cool.
Speaker 3: In the man tan the shark to kiss his ass and then immediately getting his head bitteren off, that's cool and of course too early, which I imagine is a big talking point which she'd probably gone over in detail before. Is the deves dropping sharks?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is that it's the Limitless Juices? Mark always calls it. Uh, the it's that whole plot of like he's trying to make shark smarter so he can defeat the robot apocalypse. Okay, great, sure h is the film? Okay, so yeah, we'll listeners look in your feed soon for our second go around covering deep chapter chapter. But now we're going to talk about Wrango.
Speaker 3: Okay, brilliant.
Speaker 2: So you jumped this when when I send you the email that the list actually I had sent you weren't the first personal emailed to be on the rept hole charge just going through my list, but when I got to you, I was like, wait a minute, Rango, and I put Rango.
Speaker 3: In the list and.
Speaker 2: Then you think about it worked and I jumped for it. What is it about Rango that I predicted you in love.
Speaker 3: It's the animation, isn't it. It's obviously it's a it's funny. I saw Rango there and it's it's a film that I'd see. I think I might have seen it twice before, even but I've kind of forgotten a lot about it, and I remember when it came out. It was a really good year for the animated feature Oscar category. Uh and this this broke. This won it and it broke a four year run by by Pixar. It's happened to be the year the Pixar submission was Cars two, so that wasn't going and Disney's submission was just there, so good but fairly modest. Winnie the Poo re Boots. So the big the big names were kind of out of the run. But the other the other nominees that years A Cat in Paris, which is a great little French animated film. There's Puss in Boots, which I really like, but I kind of had a grudge you get Trang because it beat two of my absolute favorites. There's a Spanish film called Cheeko and Rita, which is a film I love. And then there was also Kung Fu Panda Tu, which is my favorite dream.
Speaker 2: Works but oh wow, okay I did.
Speaker 3: I did a blueprint reviewer rundown of all the DreamWorks films and that that came out on top. And then also that that year, that's like I looked up the other submissions that yet, there's some good films. The Adventures of Tin Tins submitted for consideration ares a film called Wrinkles, a Spanish film setting old people saying, which I really like, and Arthur Christmas was also something. It's like, yeah, a lot of a lot of good possibilities that year, But I thought, so, why is it about Rango that won? So I rewatched it and it's terrific. I really loved it. I've watched it twice in the last week in preparation for this, but also just because I wanted to watch it twice because I I don't know if I forgot how good it was or just that I didn't realize the first time around how good it was. But yeah, I really loved it. I don't know a lot about gor Vibinski as a as a director. I've seen The Ring. I think that's the first of Binsky, and I've seen the first Pirates of the Caribbean and Rango, so they're the only ones that I've I've seen, but this stands out as his best film to me.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask because he's a director that I've seen all but his most recent too. I missed a Cure for Wellness, and I really I really tried to see Good Luck, How Fun Don't Die, but it's just it didn't line up. So I will track down someone this year. But he's a director who I do really enjoy, and we've covered all of his Pirates films. We've had all of the Pirates films on this show, really, and I can't believe you haven't seen mouse Hunt. It was like a very andy film.
Speaker 3: I did see that when I was looking to her, and I thought, oh, he directed that, And then I thought, yeah, I've never seen Mason. You think I've enjoying Mason.
Speaker 2: It's been a little while since I've seen it. I recently put it on my list of top five films with brothers in on Movie Rob's Band of Brothers podcast, because it's got Lee Evans and Nathan Layton as brothers who like Inherit this textile factory and it's got a mouse in it, and like hilarity ensues and I'm trying to catch it. So it's like if it I think it relies a lot on Lee Evans as a comedian, and he's like physical comedy. So if you're if you're into that, which quite so I would recommend and I need to. We're we're debating like doing a Mammal Year at some point, and I've already like mid the list, it's got mouse on on it for Mammal Year, and now I'm thinking, should we do the Kung Fry Pounder Trojan of Quartette because I love the first one. The first one is is maybe my favorite dream Works film.
Speaker 3: I think the first one. I think it came third on my list of DreamWorks films, just after The Wild roboton number two.
Speaker 2: That's fair. I think I've only seen I have not seen Company Pounder four, but two and three i've seen once a piece and just kind of thought that's fine, but I definitely need to go back and give them another shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, four is okay, it's a I think I think I put four above three actually, but two has always been has always been my favorite. I absolutely love to that with instead of raptiles.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a snake in the and Master I think it is. Johan van Dam plays Master Croc.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's the two is the one with Gary Alban as a peacock.
Speaker 3: Gary hung through hating peacock.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, So we could do that for bird year who knows? So yeah, yeah, interesting phomography. And I feel like Rango has always like stood out, was like, wait, he did animated film, because there's not many, you know, there's tend to be you'll know this more than me live action directors, animated directors. There's not a lot of directors who like straddle that. You get your Andrew Stanton, who did John Yeah? Did John Carter?
Speaker 3: I think you did? Yeah, Wes Anderson the uh what's he called? Did the Pinocchio?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, you get, you get Occasionally they try their hand. Brad Bird, yes, yes, but he's got he's got a new one coming out this year, hasn't it.
Speaker 2: I I don't know. I didn't really have to think.
Speaker 3: I think he has. I think he has. I think it's a Netflix it is it called Reggae Gun.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have heard that it's not about The Australian A breakdowncer It's just something else. It follows Raymond Gunn, a human detective in a world inhabited by aliens. Good sold by Sam Rockwell, Hell and Tom Waits. Isn't it fantastic?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Yeah, that's who's the.
Speaker 2: Rango has stood out on his TV. To me has been like he did Rango, okay, and then you watch it and you haven't seen the rest of the Pirates films, but.
Speaker 3: It's no, no, but I can. I can get that that kind of vibe a little bit from it. I should go back and watch those those parts because I remember quite enjoying the first one. But that Johnny Depp's pumps gets on my nerves? Why?
Speaker 2: How how so I get it? And like that in the first film, that's the one that's got the least amount of him in it. Yeah, because he's a supporting character in the first one, and then he is the lead in two and three, and then he's very much the lead in four at five. Uh, I love one, two and three, I'll be honest, I really I think Babinski the first three he did and you can really tell there's a lot of cebrities between the third one At World's End and Rango like the the dream sequence or you know, the stuff with the Spirit of the West where he's like in a bleach bleached landscape. There's a dream sequence kind of thing in at World's End where Jack Sparrow is like just in this other world and it looks the same, it's all bleached. And the bit where all the little pillbugs carry him along the exact exact same thing happens in that Pirates film with like there's a stone that turns into a crab and then there's a million crabs and they're all like carrying him on a boat, and it's my favorite bit of like what is this doing at a Pirates fill? What are we watching here? Not at Weld's End doesn't get a lot of love, so bear that in mind if you are gonna watch more of that franchise. Get Long Ago as well as A Little Bit Too Long two has my favorite action sequence in the franchise, which is its giant wheel rolling around with people like fighting on the giant wheel, and you get Davy Jones introduced Bill Nye, one of the best CGI characters of all time, just the full time just of all time, there's enough in there. And yeah, they are for kids, so I think your son would probably be all right with them. I forget how old he is, he's six in a few years, yeah, yeah, two, yeah, maybe give a give it four or five years.
Speaker 3: We've got about The Lone Ranger? Is that any good?
Speaker 2: No? The Lone Ranger is very much a This film is too long. This film is too long. It stars are cannibal And how long is it is? It's yeah, it's two and a half hours. It feels it. There's a good action sequence in it, but it's like quite near the end, I think, And it's been edited all to pieces, like when Helen Carter is in it as a character who I think in one draft was a were wolf and then she wasn't, and then what there's there's like some bits of the plot where she is a wolf when she's it's it's a mess. I've only seen it the once. I don't plan. I don't plan to go back and do it watch it again.
Speaker 3: And I'm intrigued by it because our mutual friend David Brooke has given it for Stars later Box amongst all the or the terrible reviews. So I'm interested to see what he sees in it.
Speaker 2: I wonder if he watched it on a weekend of trash. You just like a bit of track, doesn't he, David, We can't all be right all the time. Yeah, So that's gos an interesting career. I hope he keeps making films because they're always weird. I like that he makes choices, and the choice he made when he made Rango is to make all the characters look disgusting, and I love it.
Speaker 3: That was my first written down. Incredibly ugly characters.
Speaker 2: Some of the most off putting things you'll ever see in a film that's inherently for kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, straight away, the mole, the moral character called Boufa, that he might be the most distressing creation, enormous like phallic, drooping face stangler. It's I guess the nose would be the technical I'm sure. Yeah, creeping phallic face danglers. That it just you can picture it from that, that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: And there's like there's a character with an arrow through his eye.
Speaker 3: Yes, one of the.
Speaker 2: Background characters is like a turkey that looks just appalling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's some very disturbing frug breasts, and there absolutely yes. Sure, Even even the merry Archie band consisting of small owls, which should be an intrinsically cute notion, they're not pretty.
Speaker 2: And there's one bit where they've seen singing while was being hung or perhaps like from nooses, which feels I don't know, I didn't really appreciate that bit. But yeah, there's a spider.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I forgot about him. He does this big like tooth not toothless, but very strange tooth grin.
Speaker 2: The first character that Rango meets is called road kill yellow that's been run.
Speaker 3: Through, isn't he?
Speaker 2: Absolutely yeah?
Speaker 3: And even not even the big like Rango himself. He's probably the most attractive character in it, which isn't insane, like even like the big like beans is pretty hideous.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean you're forgetting that, Like the mayor's assistant Fox, I'm a fan.
Speaker 3: Also, the the one character could sort of edge in towards cute. What's he called? He's one of the one of the ones that I have forgotten His names? Well Stephen, step yeah, of course is this the bank I love Stephen who who voice? Yeah, the banker, And he's he's like a squirrel character and he's he's not horrior like Abysmal Bucket, but he gets murdered.
Speaker 2: He gets drowned in the desert. Well mostly we don't see it. Yeah, and you know, there is a child character, Abigail Bresident voices Priscilla, who I'm not sure what animals she's supposed to be some kind of but she's like obsessed with death and being killed and taking their boots and things. So like she's the child surrogate of this film. Like that.
Speaker 3: She's not gonna know. She's not very cute. She looks diseased, a strange kind of a strange kind of sickness in her eyes.
Speaker 2: She is apparently a cactus smell a cactus mouse. Wikipedia. Yeah, it's all there's a bunch of like I love this one. It picks animals that a lot of us have never seen before. I think, like when he there's that rock creature that he just cann of. Oh yeah, those camouflage of the rock that tries to help me out that what is that thing? What is it? I don't know, there's a rock thing.
Speaker 3: I think I was predisposed to like because all of my favorite animals are ugly and awkward. There's something I've been drawn to that. I love the moose. They're really awkward looking turkeys. I've always loved turkeys Selena Dunn's They're they're weird looking things, and I love that. I mean, I can't imagine it's easy to get such hideous creations past studio executives. They must have given go O Verbinski quite quite free reign to to create this, because normally they in animated films, they're trying to push cute, pushing the toys. Yeah, yeah, I mean there's famously in Moonlan there's the character called Kricky, a little cricket who was forced on the production by Michael Eisner, and the mats hated Criky so much because they had to keep putting him in there and they had nothing to do with it. Apparently, there was a meeting where they went through a big they fleshed out like a big action scene with Milan everyone. They had it all covered, and then at the end of at the end of the big speech where they've got it all worked out, someone put the hand up and said, what's the cricket doing during all this? And the guy said, to hell with the cricket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just googled like Rango toys and there's not a lot, so I don't think or there's like, oh, that's a three D printed thing. There's like a soft toy, like a plush thing, but it looks possibly homemade and it's like a three D printed figure.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if anyone's in like a knitted boucazar.
Speaker 2: Not yet, So Andy, you've got to fill that hole. Yeah, be the merchandise maker you want to see in the world.
Speaker 3: It would be like a sort of punishment you put it in your child's bed if they misbehave.
Speaker 2: And I've never heard of us of a Selena don so I've been googling. Ma like that that's new on me. Mole shrew venomous thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember it was. It was I first heard of it. It was in David Attenborough's Top ten Creatures of all Time. Okay, and it's its nose is on a born socket.
Speaker 2: Sure, prehensile nose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, incredible.
Speaker 2: I mean, I you know, we're a shark movie podcast. I love deep sea creatures, So if you want to see things that are ugly, head to the one other see. My favorite shark is the Goblin shark. Because it's it's the Sulena Don of sharks. It's weird, preposis thing, no one wants to see. It never been in a film, never will be in a film.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think when you say about live action directors and animation, I think Gilbovinski saw this is a chance to do a sort of smaller, easier film after like all the Pirates films and everything, And I think he said he didn't really quite understand the intricacy and expense of animation. It turned out to be a lot, a lot more difficult than he was expecting, but it turned out looking fantastics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the budget for this apparently is one hundred and thirty five million dollars, which is quite a lot of money for a film. You know, it made more than that back, so I'm almost surprised. Yeah, because as much as this is great, it's also quite weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not. It's not very yet. It's not very It didn't seem commercially viable really, It's got a lot of very adult tendencies. I mean, I hate it when people judge animated films artistics success on how well it appeals to kids. But I don't see this is is having a lot of appeal to kids. There's a lot of dirty jokes, a lot of groupesome ones, like you said, the hanging oils and everything, and there's a lot of it's very sort of sinny litter film. It's it's absolutely crammed with references, and there's a lot of death, as we were saying, and the story line is quite convoluted for young kids as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and like you know, Vivinsky Is said an interview that he considers El Topo to be an inspiration for the film. That's not that's not a kid's film.
Speaker 3: Just imagine going to see Rango with a five year old and the kid just sitting in the audience, go half, I.
Speaker 2: See he's Rowski in this one. I see. I like what he's doing.
Speaker 3: Did you did you get any of the other references? Because I started writing down the ones that I recognized. I looked it up afterwards and there's there's loads more that I didn't get.
Speaker 2: Better. Well, the fear and loathing in Las Vegas is an obvious one because he's on the windscreen of their car. Yeah, you've got Clint Eastwood yea in it. And even saying like don't aren't you like a guy with no name? Ye spelled out a little bit. But I'm sure there's there's many, many others.
Speaker 3: The ones that I tried down, the ones that I noticed. This once upon a time in the West, when there's the shootout, there's the creaky old windmill making the sound in the background. That's once upon a time that I was still one of the again David Brook's favorite films than the I haven't seen The Lame Ranger, but it's better than The Loame Ranger.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: Good Band and the Ugly. There's that that moment where there's a toad and he gets picked up by a bird and it carries him away and he says you son over and that's the end of The Bad and the Ugly. Uh, and the Lee van Cleef from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly as well. Rattlesnake Jake sort of looks like even with like.
Speaker 2: It's a snake with a mustache, kind of it's kind of in the scales.
Speaker 3: Draw it looks cat Balu is a film about a gun fact with a sober nose, and that's like the Hawk has the sober tip beak. Uh. I think Rango's Western costume at one point later and looked a bit like the costume from The Three Amigos as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, it's it's a very kind of three and goes plot of like this guy coming in pretending to be yeah, a sheriff. He is, he's an actor, he's like theatrically minded, he's so, yeah, it's very three of me.
Speaker 3: And then they were just the Western ones, I mean a couple of There's some chase scenes with like a sort of yodling soundtrack which are very like the Raising Arizona scenes sound track. There's a bit at the beginning where Rango is sort of put a tear in a headless mannequin to keep putting its hand on his leg, and that's what Donald Dake Carnor does in the make Him Last sequence and sing.
Speaker 2: The does indeed yes uh.
Speaker 3: And then just the whole plot about water, it just seems very like Chinatown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, ned Beaty. It feels like he could have been that role in Chinatown. Yeah, John Houston ll yeah, he's probably he's posibly playing JOHNN. Houston in this. I don't know, yeah, I mean so the clearest references is Timmy Golivant as the Spirit of the West. That's Clint east Wood. Yeah, yeah, I that might be my least favorite part of the film. Me too, Me too, because I I don't think it's a My main problem is I love Tim Olivant, I like Clint Eastwood, not his politics, and and but I feel like they've they've animated an old Clint Eastwood face and so he'll Olivant's doing a young Clint Eastwood voice. Yeah, and that disparity bothers me. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean honestly, if you if you took the clothes off it, I probably wouldn't recognize it as Clinice would. No, I'm not saying that I know what should have looked like naked. Don't think just the costume gives it why it's that it's it. But yeah, I did think that's not very well done. And the kind of that whole kind of spiritual side of it. I like some of it. I like some of the sort of Hallosiner Tory desert stuff, but but the whole Yeah, it was when it goes towards that Spirit of the West thing, it kind of lost me a bit. They have had something to make him go back didn't they have to have some sort of like turning point. But yeah, yeah, yeah it's and I think that would certainly lose. I mean, what I like about the references in this is that you don't have to get most of them, like the like the Good, the Bad, and the ugly one with the son of a squaw that just plays as like a joke.
Speaker 2: I've seen a good band. I didn't remember that as being the end of that film, So I just liked that as I wrote it down as a fun thing I liked about the film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, getting around when you remember when you see it's the good and the ugly, it makes it better. But you don't have to know. But if you don't really know anything about western or then this whole spirit of the West bit is a bit it will be completely lost on you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just don't enjoy that scene. It doesn't. It doesn't sit well with me. It doesn't. It's just like no man can walk out of his own story kind of thing, Okay, I don't like.
Speaker 3: I think maybe if he just if you're going to go down that kind of spiritual route thing again, like maybe he could have just then counted roadkill again and have that similar sort of conversation with him. Yeah, it's just a bit too out there at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's at that point, like, so what is real? What is a dream? Because now we're talking about the cacti can move as well, which said is like it's a myth earlier in the film, but it's not. And they not only can they move, but they can also like turn a wheel on a pipe. Sure. Great, there's a film where like a comedian in the West closed So whatever, who gets It's these these films where like you can't you can't dig into the logic. You just have to go with it because like you're just thinking, why can't the road runners talk? Why can't the hawked and like beans has a boar as a horse? What none of these things can talk? But everything else can talk? Like does does Rango? What's the world? What's Wrango's world? Like is he aware of like other animals and like does he talk to them? Is he should? He be surprised at the existence of this town in the desert. There's just just animals because he's he's a pet. He's in he's in a tank, in a car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of questions there definitely is.
Speaker 2: He's got a little glass of water in the tank. That's that's him sized where that come from. You can't dig into it, you just have to go with it. Fine.
Speaker 3: Surprised that we didn't see as much of the you wind up Fish, because.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's all over the marketing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in fact that the marketing seems to play down the Western angle just it's all just a pictures of rango most of the time. Uh, what's he called the fish, mister, mister.
Speaker 2: Tims, Mister Tims, mister Tims. Yeah, he's got he's got wind up fish, a female like Barbie Torso. It's just a torso in an arm and like a dead book and that's his companions.
Speaker 3: Yeah. One one thing person we haven't mentioned is involved in actually is the writer John Logan. He wrote Gladiator. There's a bit like there's a hint of that kind of like hallucinatory stuff at the end of Gladiator with all the floating that sure thing here. I didn't know the name John Logan really, but he's written a lot of films that I've seen. Written Gladiator, you wrote Sweeney Todd, Hugo, The Aviator, a couple of Bond films, that don't really care about. And and he wrote another of my favorite DreamWorks films which is one of the ones that hardly anyone likes, Simbad Legend of the Seven Seats, which was the last hand drawn dream dream Works, but it does have some some like badly incorporated CG as well. Isn't it that the monsters are like computer animated amidst the hand drawn stuff? And he also apparently wrote Michael, the current controversial Michael Jackson by Picnic is doing the runds.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have I haven't seen that, nor will I. How much for credit that is to his name?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I will avoid that.
Speaker 2: I mean he wait, okay he a film that comes up all the time on this show he wrote, which is Bats. He wrote, Bats, I haven't happen. Yeah me neither Mark loves it. And we're going to talk about it when we do Mammals. We've already got a guest lined up for us. I haven't even worked out what year it's going to be. We've got a guest. So in ninety nine he wrote Bats and any Given Sunday with el On cool j So that's two deep with the adjacent films. The year he came out, so, yeah, we'll talk about this this guy again and Sinbad Legends of the Seven Seats feels like a deep with the adjacent film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: And yeah you might not care about for the Bond films, that's fair enough, but sky Fall is my favorite Bond film. And he wrote so good, I'll allow it. That's got Kimodo dragons in it, so relevant for this conversation. Good, okay, So what do you think of the metaphor in rank like the real, the real hidden? What is? What is? What is it really about? Is it capitalism? Yes, it's capitalist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to be honest, yeah, I didn't really it didn't really even register with me. There's there's so much were not in it that I it didn't even occur to me to look for any kind of meaning.
Speaker 2: You don't, you don't need to look for it. I think it's just kind of it's very surface level of like the bad Guys all the Wall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I thought you meant there was there was something a bit more than just the flat out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's it, because like, yeah, they it's fine.
Speaker 3: It's I knew, I knew who was who was who and what was what I really liked the idea of Rango as a as a character. It's because you get like the obviously, like the evil man and all that, and a lot of characters are sort of what you expect. But Rango is a really interesting character and that he's he's so dramatically theatrical that keep himself in harm's way just because he's committed to the part. I think the average, the average sort of script would have adding be theatric and dramatic until his cowardice took precedence. But he will, he will stay in the part even when he's in the harms.
Speaker 2: That, yeah, I was as a danger that being a Johnny Depp performance, it can be he can be a bit much sometimes, as we've talked about in the Pirates films, I did feel like the character of Rango was very Captain Jacksborrow esque in that he's just getting by on more u luck than judgment in every situation.
Speaker 3: Is it worked okay for me in this I think it's it allows Johnny Depp to unleash his hammy attendancies in the appropriate come do it. I was thinking about Johnny Depp in general. Actually, there's an episode of the TV series Community where they talk about they have a course at a community college, which is asking Nicholas Cage good or bad? Yeah, and obviously like they go through our bad goes through very must care that's the god. Yeah, But the lists he lists the actors and so he says, Robert down Danny Jr. Is good, Jim Belushi is bad, Jean clud Van Dam is the good kind of bad, Johnny Depp is the bad kind of good.
Speaker 2: And yeah, but.
Speaker 3: I totally get it, totally get that description.
Speaker 2: Room. You've got to wonder how long they spent dedicted those names come like, okay, bad good? Uh, found out how many al turns did they have for them? Who else is on that list? But yeah, it makes sense because he he's undeniably a good actor. Yeah, yeah, very good in many things.
Speaker 3: Writing down sort of what what I like him in what I don't say I really liked him. It's mostly Tim Burns I've had Wood said with to Dan's sweety. I think he's good in Dead Man, I like him in the Jim Jarmuchfield, but then like he could like Sleepy Harlem, I think is a film where he really started to go towards that that about those bad tendencies. Alice in Wonderland, he's awful and charleing the Chucolate Factory's awful and and like Parates of the Caribbean, he's probably if I go back and watch, he's probably bearable enough for what it is. But I think it's just that loads of people absolutely love him. In Parates of the Caribbean. He was Oscar nominated, wasn't he for that? He was keeping across people. I watched the film Mystic River the other day and I was looking up about Sean Penn won that year Best Actor, and the Internet is full of people saying it should have been Johnny Depp.
Speaker 2: I mean, now were late in Himes. Champagne has three oscars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he does have three asks. Yeah, two leads and supporting thing, isn't that? Uh?
Speaker 2: I think it might be the way around. I don't could wrong. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think Mystic River and lead, yes, sorry, I.
Speaker 2: Thought he was supporting a Mystic River, but he's lead. It was Tim Robbins I think was nominating.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, he got the supporting for it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because yeah, and I would be fine with Sempayne having two Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I don't. I don't think Mystic river Is is an arcoring performance is a bit over the top and place as well. But but it's better than Johnny dept in Grabean. Yeah, because I like it when a performance like Jacks Barry gets nominated because they're the sort of performances that do often get overlooked. I like it when something a bit more unusual like that gets nominated. But I just don't think that's a very good performance.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, I'm happy to see that kind of thing be discussed. Like, you know, I don't. I didn't particularly enjoy Bridesmaids as a film. I thought, I think I'll take it back. It's fine. It was a little bit over hyped, but I enjoyed bits of it. But like, I'm happy that ms McCarthy was nominated yea for that because that's a different kind of performance. It wouldn't remally nominate. That's that's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a few of those unusual ones. Robert Downey Jr. In Tropic Thunder, which is a controversial well now, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't think it should be. I still stand by that being very phenomenal performance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a Rubbert Downey junior cast was the was the example of a good actor given in community.
Speaker 2: There we uh yeah, I'm just trying to I'm trying to find what year. I'm trying to find who else was nominated that year, just to see if it shouldn't have been. Okay, So we also had Ben Kingsley for House of Salemon, for Jude Law for Cold Mountain, and Bill Murray lost in translation. Okay, Sean, So yeah, but then you know, oh no, that was sorry, that was nomicely for a lead performance. I thought, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, supporting Okaya hich.
Speaker 3: But you see you said that that's the that's the actual that's the parents of the Cambean film where he is the supporting character, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I would say, so, yeah, he is like the comic relief. It's it's well, it's cleary nightly story more anyone else. But yeah, and bloom is he for he just takes over power?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess you get You get a lot about that that sort of people quite category for order that they were think people were nominated for. And it depends how you look at it. Like Marlon Brando in The Godfather is what people remember about the Godfather and he won for lead Actor, but he's in it far less than a Patino who was nominated for a supporting actor. And some of them are some of them are leaders, like Mahersha Relley in Green Book was supporting and that is clearly a lead lead performance.
Speaker 2: That's the film that has two lead acting perfore. Yes, yes, and he went back to back years, which fine. But I think if they had put Johnny Depp in supporting actor, I think he might have won.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, Tim Robins.
Speaker 2: He might have been nominated over I don't know. Alec Baldwin for the Cooler A film is fine, but no one has watched it in a decade. Yeah, and it's if you asked me what film was Normage for, I would not have been able to guess the bare film. Uh good. We have drifted far far away from It's like Mark is here with us. So did you enjoy that? You're you're a music guy, did you enjoy the music of this film? Is maybe the four hour Mary Archie band.
Speaker 3: I do think it's cool. I like I like music, and I like a Greek chorus. Yeah, I enjoy the owls. I like the way they sort of bookend it. I always like that when a Greek chorus gets the last word there is a so you get that great like ending bit where it's a that speech about perhaps he'll die.
Speaker 2: In a household, surely he will die one day.
Speaker 3: I like that that little cheap that they that they keep keep teasing that he's going to die and that he just doesn't. That's a bit in the middle of where one of the owls just is, when's he going to die?
Speaker 2: You keep a certain demise, Well, it's it's going to happen when. I enjoyed that too, But.
Speaker 3: You get that big frorish at the end where they say rango and it ends. But on on the DVD that I got, there's a there's a whole alternate ending which goes on and on and he is dreadful.
Speaker 2: I was going to say that there was an extended cut on my DVD version, but I didn't have a time to have a chance to watch the extended version. I just I just watched.
Speaker 3: I just watched that fight. The final deleted scene. I don't I've seen the extended version is just just bungs on the deleted scenes back in does it? And I do not know.
Speaker 2: I will check.
Speaker 3: I guess I watched it. Like I said, I watched it twice. In the second time, it did occur to me or maybe should watch the extended version, But one, I didn't want to get mixed up, and two I didn't think it needed to be any longer.
Speaker 2: According to Wikipedia, the extended version adds a final scene in which the flooded town is now a beach resort renamed Mud and Rango rides out to deal with news that bad Bill is causing trouble elsewhere and gave his final speech before he falls off his road runner steed. Of course, the Geela Monster voiced by Ray Winston, who not in the film enough as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a very short part, isn't he.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed that, like first meeting where he liked him on the fire a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, Tray Winston in a minute he comes in drug Because there's certain voices in there which you wouldn't like. I would never have guessed that it was Bill NAII Ah, yeah, I mean that seems like a very strange piece of casting for rats like Jake, but it works well.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's it's coming off of the Pirates films where he's David Jones, so they've worked together before, and he's excellent. The Pirates one was doing doing a voice, it sounds more Bill Nai, but there's a lilt, there's an accent to a kind I can't quite place it. But he's like a squid monster, like a humanoid octopus faced squid being who sounds like Bill Nye and so, and he's the bad guy. He's a bad guy in that. So I think just having him be a bad guy in this too. I love Bill night voice, so whenever he crops up and stuff, it's great, and just having him play just the whole character. The character of rattles Sneak Rattlesnake Jake is I think possibly my favorite character in the film. Just the design of him. He's a big snake, sure because everyone else is so small. When he's like attacking you, he's everywhere. There's just so much of him on the screen, and I just the time would have taken to animate just him, he would have been incredible. And the fact that his tail is gatling gun, he's got an adele and.
Speaker 3: I kind of like that's he's kind of a bad guy. He doesn't get a come upance. There's sort of a it's a teared bad guy thing, isn't it. So his role ends up being to meet out the come upance too, the worst bad guy.
Speaker 2: Who is the Yeah, and there's even like respect between him and Range at the end. You did it with one bullet. I tipped my hat to you.
Speaker 3: It's one thing that I made that is I've always been quite disturbed by endings or like endings of character arcs that involve people being dragged away screaming. It's then I just spend a lot of time imagining what happened off screen. So you see you see the I mean, obviously he's getting his come up and he dragged away screaming. But then it just we stay with the other characters and we get the sort of happy end and it's sort of lightings and the music gets bright and everything, and I think, I'm thinking, what's happening, like over there in the distance.
Speaker 2: How far is he going? And what's he going to do when he gets there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to think of other examples of people being dragged away screaming at the end of films, but I couldn't think of that many a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nothing is coming to mind, but I'm sure whenever I see anymore again, it's gonna I'll be like haunted.
Speaker 3: Drag me to hell. This is one I thought.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, yeah, clear what Yeah? When Beans tells to hell is where do you think I came from? It is just a great retort.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there's one scene in this where the whole town had done like a water dance to come for water. It's a very odd sequence, like how how do they determine this was the dance to do? How many times they dance? Does it often work? But that scene turns into Mad Max Fury Road. I'm not the first person to say it, but it's it's the same scene. It's the bad guy up like the mayor of the town, up on an elevated platform, dishing out the water to this town that have come to It's the same. It's the same scene.
Speaker 3: When was When was? When was Mad Max?
Speaker 2: Four years after this?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: That was twenty fifteen and this is twenty eleven. But I know that George Miller was making Fury Road for like twenty years, so I think it's it is just coincidence.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's actually judgement is another example of live action directory A happy yeah, yeah, but yeah, that's I quite like that that water dancing because it's it's set to the sun cool water, which I've always really liked. It's on the on an album called what's it called? Gunfighter Bounds and Trail Songs by Marty Robbins, which is one of my favorite kind of Western themed albums.
Speaker 2: I don't have a favorite Western theme album.
Speaker 3: No, it's not something that a lot of people I was.
Speaker 2: Our brother, We're not though, maybe the soundtrack on on On Facebook, you you have a project where you're doing your like top one hundred albums from every.
Speaker 3: Decade, going on endlessly every time, every.
Speaker 2: Time you post one. My initial reaction was like, there's not one hundred albums. What are you talking about? Not for many just in general? How going to be a hundred albums? Surely not. I don't think I've listened to one hundred albums. I think, let alone my best a one hundred from this particular ten year. No, not a chance. I should definitely go and listen to some of the ones that you've you've suggested.
Speaker 3: I am always bang up to date now, I mean in the twenty twenties and become a top seventy list because I haven't had time to listen to one hundred this decade yet, but we are only seven years into the decade, so I think it fits.
Speaker 2: This episode is going to come out just after we did our final chapter of DC one where we went into the local j song in which our musical taste came up a lot on the episode. And I basically don't listen to music, so this will be a surprise to no one. Nick Rehag was one of the guests on that episode, and he was like, so, why do you like listen to new music? What do you do? And I don't. I've got that. There's the twenty songs that I listened to, and I've got the twenty songs I listened to, and I'm I'm good with the twenty songs that I listened to. I don't why do they make new mus I don't understand why they make new music? And I think I broke him a little bit.
Speaker 3: Is that why why you'll be avoiding the film? Michael?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 3: Just your general version to music, no other controversial elements.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't. What else is there? I've heard those songs? Before, but I didn't hear them again. We're getting to the end of my notes. I just wanted to point it when they when they go underground. Yeah, and of my favorite romans. They're going there following this pipe on the ground and they walk past a giant eye. It's the giant I watching them never explained.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is that is odd.
Speaker 2: What is it? What is this creature? So if they're going underwater, then it's a big squid, but I don't know what will be a giant eyed creature that's under the desert.
Speaker 3: No, no, I even like, momentarily I thought it was a Lord of the Rings reference.
Speaker 2: Yep, it could be.
Speaker 3: I mean it's chucked for a reference and so it could could have just been stick that in there.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's preceded by one of my favorite jokes in the film was like what do you do now? It's like, now we ride and it cuts to the posse riding out, and then like what are we going? And then they just go back because I know where they're going.
Speaker 3: I think, I think my favorite, my favorite joke in the show and you the guy who killed the Jenkins brothers. Yep, with one bullet. Oh seven of them, and.
Speaker 2: Then he explains the whole how he killed seven people. He kills a from one bullet. He doesn't have everything with one bullet. The whole film. Yeah, like there's silly stuff. What's actual for it's it's yeah, it's very silly, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. And there's one of the townspeople is just like a bird of some kind of like a white scragger of the old bird. I loved his voice. I don't know what his character name is. I don't know who the actor is who did it. He sounds like Slim Pickens. It was not Slimpiggins, but I love Slim Pickens's voice. And anyone doing a Slim Pickens impression great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know I know the one you mean that. I can't I can picture him. I can't quite see him as a bird. I can see the scraggliness, the sort of whiteness, but he's just sort of vague nightmare image in my head. Now it's just.
Speaker 2: Film. It's just a collection of vague nightmri images.
Speaker 3: That a cracking coat for the poster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I think we've talked abou everything I wanted to talk about is there anything else that you wanted to talk about about Wrango, Not really.
Speaker 3: I mean I had I have a note which just doesn't go anywhere. It just says a human spinal column in fecal matter, which is sure. I think I just wrote it down because I thought that is well, it's part of a conversation they have about what are they even talking about? Just grim things that they've.
Speaker 2: They've in there, I think, yeah, And.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I think it comes. It comes immediately after a there's some sort of joke about a anal exam or something.
Speaker 2: Is probably sure.
Speaker 3: The doctor puts on a rubber glove and someone says awkward or something, and it was it was just a bit of a barrage of grim poo jokes at one point, which I got a bit weighed down by. There's a tendency for it to go a bit a bit grim and a bit too much in places. That's that's the only thing that I didn't really like about this wedding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because that's like one character says, they coughed up, and I coughed up an entire tribe of pygmies. They started looking at me weird. Yes, The character of Spoons says, like you found a human spoiler column.
Speaker 3: In that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I looked up and the the bird guy that I like is voiced by Lou Temple, So shout out to Lou Temple, who was Adam Banjo in The Devil's Rejects, like Unstoppable, and he's been he's one of those guys who's do a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Unstoppable, the Train, yes, which.
Speaker 2: They stopped the train. Yeah, it's a lie. The film was a lie. But great, So I think it's I can't even see why it's anymore because it is now dark, so that's talking so long. I can't see. It's so good. But I I if you've got this far and I haven't watched Ranger, then what are you doing? Go watch Rang? Ranger's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if if we will have convinced people to or not with our conversation.
Speaker 2: Really, it's like a nightmare. It's a nightmare of hideous screechers. Go watch it with your kids.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm surprised in retress fact that it won the Oscar. It's I think probably it was just it was the lack of a Pixar or Disney big hitter that year that opened up the opportunity for it.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised that Tintin didn't get the nomination. Yeah, I love that tint film.
Speaker 3: Tin Tintin is a great film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently they're making it. They're finally making another one. I heard recently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw that. Yeah, I'm surprised After Christmas didn't as well.
Speaker 2: Actually, I love After Christmas is in our house. It's it's our Christmas film. We watch it. It's Christmas tradition. Christmas a tradition is after Christmas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like if they were nominating now, after Christmas would be in that. I don't know what it is about the changing time, which makes me think maybe after Christmas would get nominated now.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe, who knows. Well, Listeners, if this is your first time listening to the show, welcome we when we talk about shark films, but because this is Deep Blue Sea the podcast, every film that we watch, I go through and work out how deep the action on screen is, how much of it takes how blue everything on screen is, and how much it takes place at sea. So, of course Deep Blue Sea or an average fourteen and a half meters of forty seven and a half feet deep, thirty one percent blue, and eighty nine per cent of it takes place at sea. And do you think Rango is deeper, bluer, and more at sea than deep blue Sea.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing no, no, of course not, of course not.
Speaker 2: The only part where they go deeper to was when they go under the ground to follow a pipe, and it's not very deep. Also, I factored in that this these are all animals, and like Rango, would be about ten to twenty centimeters high, So basically everything is at ground level. There's some stuff up in the air. There's like aerial battles with bats, which actually one thing I do really enjoy is when the bats go into a wall they explode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a good scene. That is a good I wonder if there's any any reference to the film Bats in that scene.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe have to I'll let you know once I watched Bats. Yes, ain't no, harg it's nothing but bats. So yeah, it's our depth Wise, this works out being eighteen and a half centimeters or point six feet up in the air, which means it's slightly higher than the reef stalked and slightly lower than Orca seventy first on our ranking list. Blue Nus This is fourteen percent blue because the sky is very blue throughout it is.
Speaker 3: That's true. Yeah, that's all the skies, though.
Speaker 2: Not a lot of clouds in this film. And I think beans Is clothes are blue as well, so it means it's slightly bluer than Sea Fever and slightly less blue than conn Air of course, and Fever.
Speaker 3: Sounds like it would be a very blue films it does.
Speaker 2: I think it was more green anythink is a green film, and yet never at sea for a single second. This film zero percent and five point seven percent of it is in or around water, So that's when they're in the water bottle and like the opening scene where he's like by the pool acting that kind of stuff, and then or at the end when the town's flooded, Yeah, that's water. So five point seven cent of water, which is slightly more than Boa versus Python, slightly less than Mega Python versus Gatroid. So good company on the list. A lot of reptile films all clubbing together near the bottom of the sea ranking as expected. Really good, So I think that's going to do it for a discussion of Rango Andy. Do you have anything that you would like to plug, No, you can.
Speaker 3: Just just my usual writing can be found over at a Blueprint review. I think my latest article was a full chronological watch of all the films by George Cukor and these ranked them and reviewed old. There's also I've just mentioned it briefly. Yeah, we're not giving away any details ready yet, but myself and Todd Lebanow have Forgotten Films are working on a new podcast, which is we're hoping to debut this July. I mean it's it's not much of a trailer for it because I can't really tell you anything about it at the stage. But if you like me, and if you like Todd Lebanou, or if you like one of us and think that we'll cancel run out, tune in for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Todd, friend of the show has been on seven times. We'll have them on again soon, I hope. Yeah. I will listen to any podcast that he or you do, so that you're doing one together. It's great, can't wait. Yeah, it's I'm looking forward to it. Excellent. So yeah, you can follow this show all over social media at Deep Blue, seapod or email us Deep SPoD at gmail dot com. Next week is the show that we recorded three years ago. It's finally coming out. It is our full Deeply Cy script reading a little palette cleanse before. It's the opposite of palate lens, which is diving straight back into it before we get into Deep C two. You can hear the full script, the full script reading of Deeply Cy with the Deeply C players that's been chapped by chapter all through this season. It's all pieced together in one long thing. So come back next week for that, plus all the little silliness that happened before, after and during that I cut out of the individual episodes. It's all going to be in there next week because that was a silly, fun time that we all had recording that show.
Speaker 3: And he's playing the role for Ronnie Cox in that reading.
Speaker 2: I think you played Ronny Cox if you listen carefully. He listened carefully before he was ever on the show for an episode Andy Gordon playing Ronnie cos I of course played the bird because why not. Because I was screeching into the microphone. A lot of it didn't get picked up, so that was good.
Speaker 3: But he tied it just as someone was calling someone as son of a bitch so it was.
Speaker 2: A screech great so yes, that will do it for Rango. Thank you once again to my wonderful guest, Andy Gordon, thank you for having me. I have been to Jay Kluer and will deep Blue. See you next week.