Speaker 1: Wait, the Lucky land Slots. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, so I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, it is Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too.
Speaker 4: It's a thing.
Speaker 3: And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free, anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at Chumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 5: No, we're just necessary daoidhever Everyboy Loss Tis Conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 4: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker VTK Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupanski.
Speaker 6: Good evening in the tight knit community of Lorain, Ohio. A whirlwind of horror swept through as unsettling allegation surface. A trusted bus driver and her alleged companion accused of shattering the innocence of preschoolers in the recent expected head Start program. The verdict lifelong prison sentences that would cast a shadow over a community and initiate an untiring quest for truth. The Edge of Doubt is a meticulously researched true crime narrative that delves into the reverberations of a sensational trial. This gripping tale is anchored in three decades of unwavering claims of innocence. As the pages turn, you'll find yourself torn between the scales of justice and the resilience of the human spirit. In a world that is quick to judge. The Edge of Doubt compels you to lend an ear to the whispers of truth. This is your invitation to dive into a powerful account that will challenge your assumptions and unveil the complexities of human nature. Read it and prepare to see the world with new eyes. The book that we're featuring this evening is The Edge of Doubt, The Trial of Nancy Smith and Joseph Allen, with my special guest, retired attorney and author David Morldy. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for this interview. David Marldy.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Dan. It's my pleasure to be here.
Speaker 6: It's my pleasure to have you and such a fascinating story. Congratulations on this book.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: As you do in this book, you get right down to business and you talk about August fourth, nineteen ninety four, Judge Lynette McGuff and it involves preschooled children participating in the Lorraine head Start program. Tell us about the allegations and just a description of the people involved, as you do right away.
Speaker 5: The case actually began May seventh of nineteen ninety three, when Nina Zorich came home from the head Start school. She was in the afternoon class and she told her mother that she hadn't gone to school that day, that the bus driver in Nancy Smith It said school was closed and she went to Nancy's house where she and three other head Start children ages four and five years old. I met Nancy's so called boyfriend now, who they described as an African American. Nancy is white, and at Nancy's home, they claim that various sex acts were done to them by Nancy and Joseph. They also claimed that they were urinated upon and had to drink urine, which is sort of a satanic element to it. The police then got involved, and I don't know how much you want me to go into what followed up until Nancy's arrest and that of Joseph Allen, but I'm happy to get into that.
Speaker 6: Well, let's get into the investigation of these allegations. You right away introduce Detective Tom Cantu from the Lorraine Police Department. So tell us about these allegations, some more about them, and then how the Lorraine Police Department how they proceeded.
Speaker 5: Well. Tom Cantu was the initial detective on a case. He interviewed obviously Anina Zorich. He also contacted Nancy Smith. Nancy Smith was a single mother with four children at home, who lived with her parents, had no criminal record, not even a speeding ticket. He tried to ferret out if anything had happened at Nancy's house, Canvass the neighborhood, talked to Nancy, talked to her parents, and he had some doubts about it. And at the same time, Nina's mother, Marge Bronson, was talking to other parents in the head Start program, and two in particular and said, oh, my daughter said that your son was with her, your daughter was with her at this house, and then explained what had happened to her. And then of course Cantu had to investigate all of those elements. He eventually talked to all eleven children that were on the school bus. Wally denied that anything had happened, that they liked Nancy, and eventually she was vehement that she had not done these things, that she did not have a black boyfriend named Joseph, she had a white boyfriend named Charles, and she voluntarily agreed to a polygraph which says she was telling the truth. In the meantime, Nina's parents went to a local television station, they went to the newspaper and lo and behold, you have fifteen other parents coming forward with their children, ten of whom were not on Nancy's bus. One. It didn't it wasn't even the head Start program. But there was tremendous pressure in a hysteria in the Lorain community. And Cantu was told he was being promoted to a desk job and the investigation was being turned over to another detective. So at that point we have another detective involved who is basically stymied as well. He reinterviews the children. There's all kinds of conflicts in their testimony. They provide different locations as to where this happened. One boy identifies someone who the police later clear the descriptions of this Joseph, this elusive Joseph. He's a black man. He's a white man. He's a white man with black makeup on his face. He's a young man, he's an old man with receding hairline. He has blue eyes, he has dark eyes. They're all over the place. But they identify Nancy as the person who took them to Joseph. And with all of this pressure, The police continue their investigation the last about six months until they are working on another case and man by the name of Joseph Allen, a black man, a painter, a handyman, comes to their attention. He is an African American. He does have some white splotches on his skin, some burns. He has a prior conviction for sex abuse of a minor. He'd spent three years in prison. And they go to search his home and they find children's toys, clothing, books, and they think they've got their man now. They fail to really consider that he sometimes had woman and her two children living with him, and nieces and nephews. But now they finally feel that they have the elusive Joseph Allen and they can proceed. And even though they had a photo lineup where the children could not identify him or only maybe one did they and probably get to this s latter, they also had a live lineup that is just an absolute disgrace in terms of went on there and identifying Joseph Allen.
Speaker 6: You talk about the prosecutor in this case, Rosenbaum, and how he conducted himself at this trial as well. He was known as by the book, and what does buy the book mean as a prosecutor in terms of an advantage for the prosecutor and the disadvantage for the defense.
Speaker 5: In nineteen ninety three nineteen ninety four, there's a term that we use in both civil and criminal case called discovery. It means what the other side is entitled to receive from the prosecution in preparation for the trial. And in Ohio at that time, the obligation was to turn over what is known as exalatory evidence, that that those types of things that tend to show that the defendants were innocent. But there's also an aspect the police take a number of statements, both recorded and written statements, but under the law at that time, of the discovery law, those statements did not have to be turned over to the defense attorneys until that witness testified at trial. And then after that the witness testified on direct examination, they go into the judges chambers, they pull out the statement, the judge listens to it, see if there's inconsistencies, and then it's turned over to the defendant attorneys to cross examine that that witness. And you know, it's a it's a it's a it's a huge disadvantage today and that and by when you ask the question by the book prosecutor, he follows that rule. Some prosecutors are a little more open than that would provide those statements earlier. But you know he was he was within his rights not to turn those statements over, at least under the discovery rules about inconsistency. However, if there's anything exculpatory in those statements, then he did have a duty to turn that over. And that's one of the big issues in the case.
Speaker 6: Joseph Allen has a previous record. How was it that the attorneys were not able to separate those trials given the risks of the association with a convicted felon.
Speaker 5: It's within the discretion of the judge to whether to consolidate two matters, and in this case, you know that the judge considers the economy of having one trial. She considered the trauma of having the children testify in two trials, and that's weighed against the prejudice, particularly here of Nancy Smith, of being in the courtroom with a convicted sex offender, and was within the judges discretion to do that, and that was upheld on appeal, but it obviously had very, very dire consequences for Nancy Smith.
Speaker 6: Give us some of the highlights or low lights of this trial where Nancy testifies at this trial, but give us some of the issues that were raised at this trial that will become again issues that they fight for later on.
Speaker 5: Well the trial. My description of the trial ASTs for chapters and chapters. I think what comes through, and it's not evident at the time of the trial, is that several key witnesses have verdured themselves. We're talking about two parents of the child quote unquote victims. Well, another bus striver who claims that she saw Joseph Allen and Nancy Smith together, which is a very I don't think there's any question that it was an exaggerated, fabricated type thing, So that's certainly critical. The other is, whenever you have witnesses who are four and five years old, the judge is the gatekeeper yes on whether they are competent to testify and judgment. Can they tell the difference between right and wrong, between a lie and the truth? Will they be punished if they tell a lie? And the judge makes that determination in her courtroom, it was a very low bar for these kids for her to say that they were competent to testify, and that's extremely important in any child sex abuse case. If the child testifies that these things happen, that is extremely powerful testimony. It's very hard for a jury to ignore that. And we can go into why the children's testimony was so powerful and how they can be so effective if in fact, what they were telling had happened, and that has to do with the interview process and how they had been conditioned and programmed to tell their stories. But I'll wait for a question from you on that one.
Speaker 6: Well, that's what you get to. In part two, you introduce a journalist named Paul Fassinelli and who had joined the Chronicle in nineteen eighty six, and he had a popular column and he was intrigued by one of the people that wrote in letters to the editor, a Raymond Kant, and so he had read a few of these letters and he was intrigued. Tell us about what interested him about those letters and as a result, what did he do well, Paul.
Speaker 5: It was somewhat of an outspoken journalist. He had his detractors and he had his fans, but one of the letters to the editor directed him towards a child psychologist who had written a book about how you question young children about sex abuse, and he got copies of the statements, the interviews of the children, you know, the original interviews, which were disclosed you know, at trial, and were available, and he did some research and sent them to two child psychologists who were known for their expertise in partying out whether the interviews were tainted or contaminated right. And when he sent them to the two psychologists, they both agreed to review them, but no charge, and both were appalled by the way the children had been questioned. They didn't believe that the police and the social workers had broken the rules of interrogation on purpose, but they had. Nonetheless, they were some of the worst interviews that they had ever seen. And there's a proper way to interview children about sex abuse four and five year olds. The first is you don't ask eating questions, because the children are smart enough they want to please the person who's questioning them, and they will usually agree with a leading question. You don't repeat questions, you know, until I mean, the child will eventually change the answer. And you don't want a questioner who has bias a confirmation bias. There's these things happen and he or she is trying to confirm that, and so all of these things happened. You don't reward the child. Oh yeah, you can have a can of pop if you answer this question. You know, if you don't answer this, your sister is going to be attacked by it. By Joseph. The proper way to do it is to ask open ended questions. You should develop a rapport with the child and say, hey, I understand things have been happening at the school. Tell me what's happened, and don't leave out any details, and then you let the child talk. That's called spontaneous recall. And that is the most reliable information that anyone can get. You only you try to limit your number of interviews. One is great, two is probably adequate. But in this case, we have four statements of Nina Zorich that are that were recorded. They're probably more, and as they continue, they become more and more unreliable. And that's exactly what happened in this case.
Speaker 6: Now you're talking is called part three, and you talk about the civil case, the incredible civil case in July twenty third, nineteen ninety six, and with and you introduce the character William Thomas Locke, executive director of Lorraine County Community Action Agency, that the organization that oversaw the Lorraine County head Start program.
Speaker 5: Right in the bus drivers.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, So tell us what he believes about this Nancy Smith and Joseph Allen and what he does.
Speaker 5: Well, he was when the verdicts came out. He was outraged. Shevy, He could not believe this had happened. First of all, there were certain safeguards that were involved in the head Start program. Nancy was you know, the allegations were that Nancy would leave three or four children on the bus, not let them get off at the school, and then take them to Joseph's house. Well, they had besides Nancy and the bus, there was an AID. So they had to argue that it had happened on a day when there wasn't an AID, and sometimes if there wasn't an AID, there was, you know, a parent that was on board. So and the teachers came out from the school and met each bus they were unloaded one at a time. He just couldn't believe that this had happened, and he was roundly criticized in the newspapers for not agreeing with the jury verdict, you know, and one newspaper actually called for his resignation because he the jury heard all the evidence and obviously he had not. He enters the story when no surprise for the parents. After there have been these convictions and the appeals have been exhausted for Nancy Smith, they filed civil lawsuits against the head Start program, Loraine County Community Action Agency, which you said was the umbrella organization, claiming that they're responsible, they were negligent, that they were negligent in hiring, supervising and retaining Nancy Smith, that they failed then to protect the children from these awful things that happened. And this then became a very long drawn out lawsuit which had an unfortunate ending for those of us, at least from my perspective. The insurance company eventually capitulated and offered settlements of one point five million to each of the four families. Now, you've got to understand, the issue in this case was not whether Nancy Smith and Joseph Allen had done these things that had been established in the criminal case, and so you know, it was an open question whether that can be re litigated. The question was whether the head start of the agency was put on notice of some things that had happened regarding Nancy that have larded them that she was going to do these things. And the insurance company, after I can't recall it was eight or nine years of litigation, finally wanted to get the book, get the case off their books, and they paid on it.
Speaker 6: You talk in part four. You introduced the Ohio Innocence Project July two thousand and six, the two thousand and seven, and it's based in Cincinnati, and you introduce two important characters, Mark Gotsey who's the founder, and Jenny Carroll, former public defender, and a couple of students, students in their second year, Chef and Madonna. So tell us a little bit about what happens with the Ohio Innocence Project being involved, getting involved and Amber Brnish.
Speaker 5: There are a number of chapters there, but the Innocence Project got involved when all of the peals had been exhausted for Nancy Smith. Several years thereafter. It had come to their attention through another investigator, someone that had been hired by the family, who worked for them trying to find exculpatory evidence. Right after the trial, and he continued to work for the family for free. He had a lot of reliability for the Ohio Innocence Project and when he brought this case to them, Mark Godsei reviewed it and was convinced that, you know, a miscarriage of justice had occurred. He read those statements of the children's statements that showed contamination and also, we haven't talked about it. The children at trial had no difficulty pointing out who Joseph Allen was in the corporate However, it came to light through Fatchinelli's article that there was a videotape of that lineup to show the children and how they reacted. There were seven children went in for absolutely could not identify him. One looked as if the father had whispered in his ear as to it's number two. And then we have Nina Zorich and her mother eight nine agonizing minutes where she had entifi' is the wrong person. He's given second and third chances. The mother points at point says, oh, it's this person. It's just an incredible videotape. It's available online if people want to watch that. But anyway, Gatzi had seen that, and he obviously met with Nancy and became very much an advocate for her. Because there were no appeals left, her best chance of getting out of prison was through paroles. She was going to have a parole hearing. One of the difficulties with the parole hearing was that they want to know that The parole board wants to know that you've been rehabilitated, which means that you have admitted that you've done these things, You've taken a sex offender course, and you're ready to be reintegrated into society. Nancy will not do that. And you know, they put together a great document for the parle board. It shows the likelihood that the jury had gotten it wrong. It also showed, you know, what an exemplary person she had been in prison, the things that she had done. But she would not admit to these crimes and she knew that that would probably end her opportunity for parole, and in fact, her parole was initially what was denied. And then you asked me about Amber Brownish, and I'll go in to that. You know, after her parole was denied, Amber, who had been fifteen I think at the time her mom had been convicted, was now an adult, was her champion. She was always uppering the attorneys and prodding them to do things, and she decided she had to do something on her own. So she contacted the Lorraine police, not expecting anything to happen. But the police chief who had been involved and been in charge of the detectives when her mom was convicted, that's the person that I know. He since passed away Sea rivera very warm, a good individual, and he said, come on in. He gave her, you know, let's talk about it. And he suggested to her that she go to the alleged victims who were now adults, and see if they would admit that these things hadn't happened. And he even gave her a tape recorder and so she could secretly tape record Christmas. Allowed in Ohio only one person has to consent to that. That didn't work out, and then he said he would help her with filing some paperwork for a clemency. Then, when the place chief was contacted by Mark Gotsey from the Ohio Innocence Project, he was not as cooperative, and Amber went in and tape recorded some of their conversations in hopes that that would speed her mother's release.
Speaker 6: Let's use this as an opportunity to stop to hear from our sponsor. My wife Lisa and I were talking recently about a favorite restaurant of ours and one of our favorite meals there, seafood risotto, and we've both talked about how great it would be to be able to have delicious meals like that at home. Well Cooked Unity is the first Chef to you service, delivering locally sourced meals from award winning chefs right to your door every week and cheaper than other delivery options. We ordered meals with a Mediterranean dietary preference. All of the meals arrive fresh, never frozen, in packaging that keeps meals fresh in the fridge or up to seven days. All of the meals we ordered were absolutely delicious. Some of our favorites were the Chopolte lime salmon with Brussels sprouts by Chef Reuben Garcia, a spicy, perfect paleo dish. It's amazing what Reuben does with salmon. We also really enjoyed the rainbow chicken and pasta salad with coalamada, olives and feta by Chef Nelson Brusella, and also we loved chef John de Lucy's Mum's Sunday Rigatoni with penyl sausage and meatballs, a tangy marinara sauce, and yes, a spicy Italian sausage. Cook Unity is a step ahead and a step above any other meal delivery service we've tried, and it's great supporting local chefs and suppliers. There is no cooking required to have chef quality dining at home, with hundreds of dishes to choose from, with a constantly updated menu and seven different dietary options, including Paleo, Mediterranean, Keto and Vegan, and filters for soy, nut and dairy options. Pick as few as four or as many as sixteen meals per week. Experience chef quality meals every week, delivered right to your door. Go to cookunity dot com slash murder or enter code murder before checkout for fifty percent off your first week. That's fifty percent off your first week using code murder, or by going to cook unity dot com slash murder. Introduce Judge James Burge December twenty of two thousand and eight, and you write that he's considered a maverick. Tell us about what the Maverick judge does all right.
Speaker 5: Jim Burge, at age fifty nine, decides to run for Judge mcguff's seat. Judge McGuff was retiring. Jim Burge had been a criminal defense attorney in his entire life and won that election. He brought a new perspective to that judge ship early in his in his judge ship, he contested Ohio's lethal injection and found that it was unconstitutional as cruel unusual punishment. He was completely different personality than Judge McGuff, who relished her reputation as a tough on crime judge. Judge Jack Bradley, who we haven't talked about, who was Nancy's original attorney and was still working on her case even though the Innocence Project is involved, filed emotion based on a technicality in the sentencing order. There had been a recent High Supreme Court case that said, when somebody has found guilty, the journal entry has to say how they were found guilty. Was it by the judge, was it by a jury? Had they pled? And in Judge mcguff's journal entry, she just simply said that she'd been found guilty, and most people thought, well, this is no big deal. You know, you just have to amend that entry and say that she's found guilty by a jury and the original sentencing would be in effect. But Judge Burge looked at it that, hey, this was never finalized. This case is still open to me. I can re sentence her if I want. And it was a novel idea. So he decided to read the entire transcript, read the children's statements to see what would be a proper sentence, and in so doing he had no confidence in the verdict. And to the surprise of everyone, a gathered everyone together and said, I am issuing an acquittal for Nancy Smith and Joseph Allen. And he had said, and in doing so he had said, well, you know, there have been some changes in the loss since nineteen ninety four. Number one, the parents could testify as to what their children said about the sex acts which happened in this case, and that that rule was later found to be unconstitutional. Right because they said that, you haven't, defendant has a right to confront the actual person who said that. Not this this hearsay. The other thing is he looked at the statements and he said, these are all exculpatory why weren't these turned over to the defense attorneys? And when he excluded, when he exclude those things, are provide for those things, there was no basis for a conviction. And then this said in progress appeals that went all the way to the Ohouse Supreme Court as to whether he had the right to do what he did, and the ultimate answer was they said no.
Speaker 6: But for the interim, Nancy Smith and Joseph Allen are free.
Speaker 5: Yes incredible, Yes, yes they're They're free for several years. But there's a tremendous pressure on Judge Burge to set a hearing to correct the journal jury and send them back to prison, which he basically refuses to do. And so other than the Ohio Innocence Project says what can we do for Nancy? And they really do a two prong attack. They talk to the prosecutor's office about perhaps arranging a sentencing agreement that could override the sentences. And two, they have a petition for clemency that they file with down in Columbus to try to prove that this was a wrongful conviction and they should grant her clemency, grant her freedom, and the Ohio Innocence project in Cincinnati enlisted a top notch New York City law firm, Davis Polk that does pro bono work, who put together an incredible brief, you know, with three hundred pages of exhibits, And then they had a full hearing with the eleven member Parole board, with the New York attorney putting on the testimony of a psychologist showing the unreliability of the interviews. Tom Canto testified. They had two of the daughters testify and it was a very impressive performance, but only two of the eleven members seemed to be in favor. They would make a recommendations to the judge as to whether the grant clemency, and that can take months and time was running out. The other surprising witness at the clemency hearing was Judge James Burge, who said he was convinced that she was innocent. Now what that meant he no longer could preside over her case. He had to re accuse himself, and so once he had testified, then the Supreme Court brought in someone else, a visiting judge from another county, and the Innocence Project Mark Gotsey knew that time was of the essence and Sharon Katz, who was the attorney from New York, worked out a sentencing agreement where Nancy was there were certain findings that you know, the jury, the jury had found her guilty. They changed the gross sexual imposition sentenced to twelve years. He'd already served fifteen years, so she was free. Not so lucky for Joseph Allen, the judge that had been appointed. They had been apparently worked out a similar deal for him, but he would be free on time served. But because he had a prior record, the prosecutor had had him examined by a psychologists and they thought that he should be supervised once he was free. And the judge said no, and so he insisted that although he reduced it to one kind of rape and a sentence of twenty five years, Joseph Allen had not served that, and he was going back to prison, and did go back to prison until we get to part five, yes, yes.
Speaker 6: And before that you introduced another character, of course, Rocko Bronson, junior, brother of Nina Zor.
Speaker 5: Right, that's in part five, that's correct. Yeah, you know, we've got we've got Nancy free in Lorraine. We have we have Joseph Allen in prison. And I'll tell you that's what intrigued me about the case. Initially, I mean to start writing about it because I thought, here, we have Joseph Allen in prison, a black man. We have Nancy Smith free, a white woman. You know, that was one of the things that one of the reasons I got the transcripts and got into this case. And when I write my book, I write the first chapter and my last chapter. And when I had and I was writing it, my last chapter had been Joseph Allen going back to prison. Yeah, well, little did I know that. About a couple months after I wrote that, Rocco Bronson content it was contacted. Mark gotsee late at night and said, hey, my mom coached my sister to say those things. She promised her a trip to Disney World, she said she was going to get and she's trying to do that with me and trying to gain custody of my daughter, her granddaughter. She's accused my wife of abusing our daughter. She accused that this happened during a supervised visit with Children's Services, with the potential that there would be a claim against Children's Services. And so Mark Gotsey got a Virginia Brayden, who was an investigator AHD to look at those allegations and others and father the motion for a new trial based on newly discovered evidence.
Speaker 6: You talk about Rocco Bronson. Police ask him because he says he was only six years old when this occurred back in ninety four, in that who else would support some of the things? He said, who does he say the supports?
Speaker 5: He said, my father will, My father will. And at the time his father was divorced from Marge Bronson. He had the rock O Bronson Senior had two children with Marge, and he would come for visitation to pick them up, and he you know, he overheard, I mean his ex wife told him, yeah, I'm gonna get paid for this. One of the amazing things about Rocco Bronson's affidavit in his testimony is that he said that his mom had set up almost like a school in the basement, you know, with desks, whether the kids would recite what they were supposed to say, and they had a picture Joseph Allen, and they would advance from desk to desk, you know, the better that they performed. And he also claimed that some of the things that were allegations of sex abuse were things that had he claimed had happened to him. Now, the other side of the coin is Roco Bronson Junior had drug issues. The prosecutor was investigating whether he had planted drugs in his mother's home. I mean, was he was not a he was he was not your perfect witness. However, the Lorraine County Sheriff's Department had investigated the claim about whether the granddaughter was sexually abused by her mother, and they found that Marge Bronson had been coaching her. They had left the videotape on one point where the little girl was practicing how to cry. So as it would later turn out, you know, Mark Gazzi was able to argue, hey, we're not you don't have to rely on Rocko. Look at you know, she's doing the same thing. You've got the Lorraine County Sheriff's Department saying that she coached these children. And you know, this is bombshell evidence. We couldn't possibly have had that in nineteen ninety four. And that's a test for newly discovered evidence. You know, it has to be something that would really shift the needle and was not discoverable in nineteen ninety four, and that was their argument.
Speaker 6: You introduced j D. Tomlinson. When you talk about this new evidence claim, tell us about j D. Tomlinson.
Speaker 5: Well, again, when you talk about Jim Burge taking over for Judge McGuff, you also talk about j. D. Tomlinson, a criminal defense attorney, defeating the current, the past prosecutor, Dennis Will. And so it was. You know, Dennis Will had always been a prosecutor, been a police officer, and one of his one of j. D. Tomlinson's campaign promises was he was going to look into the head startcase again. And indeed, once he was elected, he had two investigators too, both were retired detectives, one from the Lorraine Police department, went from the Illyria who went through the transcript, went through all of the statements, the police reports, talked with the number of people and they came back to Tomlin and said these people are innocent. So you know that's happening at the same time that Mark Gatzi is receiving this information from Rock Bronson.
Speaker 6: So tell us about what happens next in this fight for again for justice.
Speaker 5: The judge, Judge Burgess is no longer in that courtroom that had been Judge mcguff's. Judge Burge had left and Judge Cook had been elected, so this case came to him. And Judge Cook had a pretty extensive background. He'd been a prosecutor. He'd also been in a law firm that included Jack Bradley, Nancy Smith's attorney. But he understands that he wants, he wants to hold a hearing and make sure he gets this right as to whether he should grant a new trial. And most thought that this was going to be you know, the prosecutor was you know, this was going to be an easy thing because the prosecutor was not contesting, you know. And in fact, the prosecutors sent a letter said we believe she's innocent. But the former prosecutor, Jonathan Rosenbaum, who was no longer a prosecutor but in private practice, was hired by two of the alleged victims to contest this motion for a new trial. And in Ohio we have something called Marci's Law, which was actually a constitutional amendment that gave victims certain rights and it allowed them to be heard at any hearing. And John Rosenbaum of strenuously objected to this motion for a new trial. He thought that there should be a special prosecutor. Pointed that Tomlinson could not be fair, and that was partly because Tomlinson had hired Jim Burge to be his chief of staff. And he said, well, you know he's already he should there's a conflict of interest here. Fortunately for Nancy Smith and Joseph Allen, Judge Cook had like twenty five years of experience dealing with ethical claims and was on a state board that investigated claims against judges and lawyers. And he said, no, this doesn't apply. Prosecutor's office is different than a law office, and Jim Burge is excluded from participating, but no one else's. But he became quite heated battle and wrote. Judge John Rosenbaum claimed, hey, they can't you know, I, you know, I don't have a conflict of interest in this case. In the judgeable, I think you do. You represented the state of Ohio. How can you be here arguing a position contrary to your former client? And Rosenbaum said, well, I'm just saying that, you know, putting forth an argument that is consistent with what we argued back in ninety four. Judge said, well, can't a client change is there her mind? You know, does a former attorney. You have the right to tell a client what it can or cannot do. And ultimately John Rosenbaum withdrew that he had a conflict of interest, and the last chapter of the book is Judge Cook rules that they have they're entitled to a new trial, and the prosecutor gets up and tells the judge, we are not going to be pressing charges. We want this case dismiss, dismissed with prejudice. We apologize to Nancy Smith and Joseph Allen for this ill conceived prosecution. And then Nancy Smith gets up and she says that she it is a statement against you know, Marge Bronson. So you don't know what you did to me. I'm not the only victim. My whole family were victims. You took me away from my children in their most crucial period and wanted to be known that what you did was it was a horrible, horrible thing. With that, the judge granted the motion to dismiss and the case was over. Twenty eight years later.
Speaker 6: Let's use this as an opportunity to hear these messages.
Speaker 1: With Lucky Landslots. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 5: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and broom?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 5: Sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 3: No Lucky land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than he gets registered.
Speaker 5: In that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus terms and conditions applaing see website for details.
Speaker 6: You say that it took that twenty seven years to get this the high of exoneration that Nancy Smith had wanted all the time. We spoke earlier, and you talk about the plea agreement that Nancy was given early on and the what she would have done in the parole hearing if she was if she were smarter, tell us a little bit more about Nancy and when we talked about that. It isn't exactly an exoneration that she was looking for that she received.
Speaker 5: Well, it's really a question of, you know, what is an exoneration. The University of Michigan keeps the role of all the people who have been exonerated, and she and Joseph Allen are on that list. Some say that you're not completely exonerated until there's been a case for wrongful imprisonment filed and that that has concluded. And in a wrongful imprisonment lawsuit, the first step is you file something in the county court to hear is Lorraine County, and it's tried to the judge and he determines whether you were innocent of those charges. And once there's that finding, and there's the second part to the case, and it is transferred to the Ohio Court of Claims in Columbus, who then makes a decision as to what award of damages that person is entitled. To this point, that case is still pending. I think. I think for all intents and purposes, both she and Joseph Allen have been exonerated, but compensation for their wrongful imprisonment is still in the offing.
Speaker 6: In this book, throughout you provide for the reader the reasons why you believe that this conviction occurred in the first place. She was given thirty years minimum ninety years maximum. He was given the life sentence, and so all throughout this book, Nancy you mentioned just her statement at the very end, but the terrible time she had in prison, the way she was looked attorneys when they came to visit her, the despair that she had over this conviction and that she would never get out and see her children again. You put the reasoning for this, and we talk about those detectives, the initial detectives that conducted those interviews, and the over zealous, to say the least, prosecutor Rosenbaum. Tell us how you believe that this really was perpetrated and Nancy Smith and Joseph Allen were wrongfully convicted.
Speaker 5: Well, one of the things that I always try to do when I was a trial lawyer and talking to the jury, I didn't like to preach to them and tell them this is why they should find One way, I think both a trial lawyer and an author leads the reader with presenting to them the facts and allowing that reader to draw their own conclusions. That being said, I'm not aware of anybody who's read my book who doesn't believe that this was a grave miscarriage of justice, although I'm careful not to express my opinion. But what did happen here. First of all, we are told that we have, you know, the best criminal system of justice in the world, which we do. We have all of these protections, right against self incrimination, presumption of innocence, all these things, so we believe that innocent people aren't convicted. In law school, we're told, given to the mantra, it's better that ten guilty persons go free than one innocent person be convicted. But what we're discovering, particularly with DNA evidence, that these people who have been convicted and exhausted all their appeals, there's DNA evidence that shows that they didn't do it. So we're suddenly aware that our system does make mistakes and why does it make mistakes? And I can't talk to you on a macro level. I can only talk to you about this case. And I think what I'm trying to show through this case is it can happen to anyone. If it can happen to Nancy Smith, it can happen to you. And I think that that's an important message. You know, it's just not the story, it's just it's a cautionary tale that you know, we just have to be vigilant, but you know, to try to answer your question, you know a little more with a little more specificity. This was a perfect storm. I mean, when the system fails, it's not just one thing that goes wrong. It's usually four or five or six things that go wrong. You have to look at the police investigation, you know, was it shoddy, was it biased? You have to look at the prosecutor. Did the prosecutor follow the guidelines in the law in terms of turning over evidence? Was the judge fair? Was you know, was the judge biased? You know, did he or she favor one side or over the other? Where the defense attorneys prepared, you know, was there perjured testimony or is there a witness who later recants? And then you add this final element in this case, which is these horrible, horrible allegations of child sex abuse, and there's a hysteria, a pressure on the jury. I've had prosecutors tell me that if they can get a child to testify that sex abuse happened, the case is over. You know, it's extremely powerful testimony, and that's why in this case it was extremely important for the defense to have an expert to come in and explain how the children's memories can be molded and programmed, and once the story has been cemented, it's as real to that child as any other memory. So it's a perfect storm. And I really have highlighted, you know, six different things that that probably led to it, and each case is different, but certainly there were failures in a lot of sectors.
Speaker 6: It's very interesting too that you're able to in the end of the book sort of wrap up this ultimate motivation for this Marge Bronson coming forth, which was just money, and so it explains so many things that aren't wrapped up to the very end with this Marge Bronson.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, she's an interesting character. I think, you know, I've never met her, never talked with her, and she's a very attractive woman. I think she was a very persuasive woman, and she could really excite others and convince them that certain things had happened. I think one of the tragedies in this case is that at the trial it was never disclosed that she was a convicted fella herself, that it sold cocaine out of her house. That was information that the defense should have had, and then they used that as a basis for a new trial. However, the prosecutor said I asked her whether she had any convictions. It was a federal conviction, and she said that she hadn't. And there were some other things, you know, dealing with Jack Bradley's involvement in that case that you know, they're able to say, well, you should have known that she was a convicted fella, But I think that would have tremendously discredited her, discredited her if it had been known at trial.
Speaker 6: It's also an interesting case in that it demonstrates how when she went to other parents and reformed their child's memories to line up with her own daughter's memories. It's very interesting that it seems very comparable to some of the other cases where this hysteria doesn't start off right away, but bouncing it grows as a result.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no question. From nineteen eighties to the early nineteen nineties, there was a proliferation of these bacare cases. And you know, in fact, the McMartin case in California it was, you know, nineteen eighty four, seven years no one was convicted. There were convictions on almost more than half of them. They were eventually overturned, but it usually started with one parent and in the McMartin case she was a paranoid schizophrenic, you know, that made these allegations, and then the way that the children were questioned. I mean, at one point there were eight people that had been were arrested, you know, and with satanic rites. I mean, it was something that was not just happened in Lorraine. It happened all over the country. And I mean the surprising thing is there was plenty of literature on it at the time that these things happened in Lorraine. You would think that the police, the judge, the prosecutor, and the defense attorneys, you know, should have been aware of what had happened in these other cases and learned from the fact. You know, one of the books that Fatchinelli referred to in his articles was by It was in nineteen ninety. It was you know, sex Abuse Hysteria the Salem Witch Trials Revisited. That's a nineteen ninety book, you know, showing it is how unreliable these cases were. But it was as if Lorraine was in a vacuum year, but they weren't looking at what had happened and had been debunked throughout the country.
Speaker 6: It's an extraordinary story. You Chronicle too, because of all the really extraordinary efforts from so many people, you know, law firms conducting the case pro bono and some really unlikely allies and surprising allies as well.
Speaker 5: In this I like like any book, it has its good guys and bad guys, and not going to go into the bad guys. I'll let the make that decision themselves. But you can go right down the list. Paul Fatchinellie, the journalist, Judge Burge, innocent project of people involved there, Tom Can't, the original detective Jack Bradley who didn't give up on his client, and Judge Chris Cook for finally putting an end to it. So and they are lesser good characters as well, but a lot a lot of people were involved. But it's it's a tragedy that it took so long to write this injustice.
Speaker 6: It's interesting too, the rule of the media immediately not inflaming the public and inflaming the case as a result. But the Fascinelli and the Chronicle and their series really helped the counter and were well really countered the disturbance that the earlier media accounts created.
Speaker 5: Well. Unfortunately, by the time the articles came out and Joseph Allen and Nancy Smith were in prison and the appeals and then exhausted, so that all that they could do was try to change public opinion and perhaps place in pressure for the prosecutor's office to look at the case again. But you know, once someone's been convicted and it's gone through the system, our criminal justice system is loath to correct a mistake. And the earlier media attention that you mentioned was extremely damaging. I mean it pushed the police to continue on with a case that they should have dropped, and it caused all of these other children to come forward, two of whom hadn't been contacted by Marge Grondin but became part of the case. But that was all because of that earlier media frenzy.
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely, it's an incredible case and an incredible book. Thank you so much for coming on and talking about the edge of doubt the trial, Nancy Smith and Joseph Allen. For those people that might want to take a look at further at this case and your other work, do you have a website that they might take a look at, and do you do any social media?
Speaker 5: They can go to my website. Davidmuraldy dot com. I also have a Facebook page. It's David Marldy author. I will say my first book, if I can give a little plug for that, I did a personal connection. It was my dad murder trive that my dad handled you back in the sixties. Man was accused of drowning his wife and scalding water. I found his file decades after he died, and it cast a spell on me. That that first book won an International Book Award and right now a Lionsgate is looking at it in terms of a mini series, So if they're interested in that book, and then I'll put a plug in if I can for my second book, Edge of Malice. Here, my wife's best friend was shot at a Burger King while she was going through the drive through. She was an attorney, and it's her struggle for the the Cramo and civil justice system. I was involved in a civil case against the burger king where this happened. But it's her journey and how she eventually deals with the anger and the hate and the fear towards her assailant. And that's a fascinating story. Even if you don't read my book, if you read another account of it, she's another courageous, courageous.
Speaker 6: Woman and a very very interesting Thank you so much, Thank you so much, David MORELDI for coming on and talking about the Edge of Doubt, the trial of Nancy Smith and Joseph Allen. Thank you so much for this interview, and you have a great evening and good night.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you,