Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Shouldn't turned down those jukeakes?
Speaker 4: How does Sasa Jonnithan Diasberry jukes?
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Tom Chapin.
Speaker 5: Hello, this is preaching in Rock and Roll History Show.
Speaker 6: You're listening right now?
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, welcome back to the Rock and Roll History Show on Hudson River Radio. I'm Brian Horowitz. Tonight we're talking about old stuff thanks to Mercedes, and of course I took a different interpretation than everybody else did. But you're just gonna have to sit and wait and see how that turns out. But before we hop in as always, allow me to introduce all the crambones who are joining us here tonight. First and foremost from the Richter Observatory. He has a fear of really tall people. It's called fee fi phobia.
Speaker 4: E five four. How you doing, everybody?
Speaker 2: And from paranormally yours, she figured out that pirates never finish the alphabet because they keep getting lost at sea. Gil.
Speaker 3: I need to try to remember that one because I have a friend who's older.
Speaker 4: He go as a pirate.
Speaker 7: You need to center.
Speaker 2: Well, that just opens up more questions, doesn't it. Yes, let's come back to that, all right, welcome back, and from the silver screen she saw a Buddhist walk into a bar until the bartender make me one with everything.
Speaker 8: Mercedes here, Wow, that's a good one. Brian, Hey, everybody, very teep.
Speaker 2: Brian, though right, we try to make you think around here. And our officially retired teacher, he wanted to try planting an apple tree, but he was nervous. He wasn't sure about it, so his wife told him to grow a pair. John Kelly is here.
Speaker 9: Oh boy, ouch, how are you?
Speaker 2: Everybody? At last, but not least, the host of shaving cream. She recently asked the toy store clerk where the Arnold Schwarzenegger action figures were. He said, I'll be back barbarveal.
Speaker 3: Very good.
Speaker 2: Brian, Hey, everybody, all right. So Mercedes came up with tonight's topic. I don't know how. It's just old. That was the one word to go on, was old.
Speaker 4: Old.
Speaker 2: So did something happen that kind of prompted that or.
Speaker 8: There's no perspective none whatsoever. It just popped into my head and I was like, well, we haven't done that, so let's.
Speaker 2: It's true we haven't done that. And yeah, so knowing what's coming. I don't know the stories. I know the tracks that everybody picked. Mineus so far the outlier for everybody that, yeah, bless you exactly we are.
Speaker 8: We are all curious.
Speaker 2: Well why don't we hop in? And this week, Neil, you're going to lead us off?
Speaker 4: So it's age before beauty, right, Yes, indeed, And for this topic, no one here amongst the crambones is more qualified to speak on the subject of being old than I am myself. I am the septagenarian of the group that say that five times fast.
Speaker 2: And you're the only one who uses s A T words in the whole group too.
Speaker 4: Hey, it's the glorious results of a misspent youth. What can I say? Anyway? The song I picked is called The Old Man Down the Road by John Fogerty now John Cameron Fogerty born in nineteen forty five is an American musician, singer, and songwriter. Now Fogerty began his musical career way back in nineteen fifty nine. Now that's going that's old baby when he was a.
Speaker 8: Junior and I remember it well.
Speaker 4: Actually so do I. But anyway, his first band was in junior high school. It was a cover band that was inspired by the rock and roll pioneers, you know, Chuck Berry and all that. Elvis along with bassist Stu Cook, drummer Doug Clifford, and a little bit later on his brother Tom. So I think you can see where this might be going. They were originally called the Blue Velvets and they signed The band signed with Fantasy Records in nineteen sixty four. Now, unbeknownst the Blue Velvets, Fantasy Records changed their name to the Gollywogs against their better judgment or whatever. They recorded several singles that frankly were not all that successful, although they did have one called fight Fire that I've heard and I actually liked that. But that's neither here nor there. Because this, of course laid the groundwork, laid the foundation of what would become Creeden's Clearwater Revival, a band that lasted from nineteen sixty eight until nineteen seventy two. They would basically introduce what is known as swamp rock to the world. Would dominate the charts with ten top I'm sorry, nine Top ten singles and eight gold albums, and all of them with John Fogerty as lead singer, lead guitarist, and the primary songwriter. So moving along. After CCR parted ways in nineteen seventy two, John would release several albums and singles that had some moderate success, but he was pretty disillusioned with the whole music business. He was kind of beaten down by it. I think what I read. He wouldn't even perform CCR songs at concerts at that time.
Speaker 2: He got hosed by Fantasy.
Speaker 4: Well we'll get to that in a minute. But after his hiatus of several years, he re emerged in nineteen eighty five with an album called center Field, and it went right to the top of the charts. The title track is frequently played on classic rock radio stations and at baseball games right to this day. The LP also included the critically acclaimed top ten hit The Old Man on the Road, which we'll hear a little bit shortly, and it also led to some big legal problems for Fogerty, which we will also talk about a little later. But first, why don't we hear the song?
Speaker 10: You take um the problem the Mountains, You take a Langan problem scat, you bring a prong man to the bag, and you make the young mom crack.
Speaker 6: You got the had it had You got the jump bare round.
Speaker 7: You got the had.
Speaker 9: The old man.
Speaker 11: Down the road.
Speaker 6: You got the voices beating riddles.
Speaker 10: You got the hash black coat, you gotta foot tape coat, rasteak hat and staying right in the road.
Speaker 6: You got the had it hat.
Speaker 9: You got to jump up the way.
Speaker 6: You got the hid it hide it half.
Speaker 9: The old man.
Speaker 6: Down row.
Speaker 10: Stemaker rim call you love, you make the barget of the happen.
Speaker 9: Put a shed up.
Speaker 10: Across the window when the old man comes around.
Speaker 11: You got the half of half.
Speaker 6: You got the jump bare round you, you got the hid hide it half the old man. It's down a roup, the old man, it's down a rough.
Speaker 4: That's an awesome song. I think it's cool now. Lyrically Lyrically, the song depicts a mysterious kind of supernatural figure or wizard or sorcerer or something like that who commands the forces of nature and strikes fear into the hearts of men with an almost demonic presence, kind of like a voodoo hoodoo that they do do so well, that kind of thing. But the lyrics are also analogous to kind of the ugly side of the music industry that Fogerty had been experiencing firsthand when he was with to See Records and its owner of Saul's Ants. Now, how do we get into this story?
Speaker 2: Which story you got?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 4: No, no, well basically, well, let me go, let me go back a little ways. That back when CCR broke up, Fogerty had to give up his copyrights and publishing rights for all the credence songs that he wrote to Saul's Ants, the president of Fantasy Records and Fancay Records themselves, in order to be released from his contract, which sounds like a pretty hefty price to pay. I mean, but you gotta do what you gotta do. So anyway, he lets you know, releases Old Man down the road and finds himself getting sued for plagiarism by pall z Ants and Fantasy Records. Accused of plagiarism for sounding like himself. How does that? How does that happen? Well, as I say that, I mean it's it's a pretty underhanded thing if you ask me for you know, but this is the music business. People they are not they are not good people. They are not nice people, not musicians. That's another story. But I'm talking about the suits. So yeah, he gets sued for ripping off himself. Basically the song was run through the Jungle that Fogerty had written for CCR many years before, and they said, no, it's just like that. But ultimately, ultimately Fogerty did prevail in the Landmark case and proved the two songs were distinctly different compositions by actually playing them on his guitar in court on the witness stand, which.
Speaker 2: I think is I never get a jury duty for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, for that, that would be the best concert ever. But and well, by the way, Yeah, Fogerty also wrote a couple of other songs directed directed towards Zance, which I think he got, you know, sued for too, like for defamation or something he was going to be so yeah, it was it caused a little bit of a problem.
Speaker 2: But Zance Can't Dance was the track on there. Yeah, dance can't dance. But he'll steal your money watch them, or he'll rob you blind. And so I know he's threatened another lawsuit, so they chang instead of Zance it was Vance Can't Dance. But the video for that is a pig that's literally robbing the singer in the video. So yeah, there there was no ambiguity in that whatsoever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was another one called mister Greed. I think that was obviously maybe a little less uh, you know, it didn't mention him by name. But yeah, But anyway, aside from all that, in my opinion, the old Man down the Road is also a metaphor kind of for what's waiting for us all at the end of the line, at the end of the road. And I'm talking about you know, the grim Reaper missed the death that we all have to come down the end of the road and meet eventually. But on a lighter note CCR. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame back in nineteen ninety three. Fogerty was placed on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of the one hundred Greatest Songwriters, landing at number forty, and on its list of the one hundred greatest singers of all time, and that would be number seventy two for him. He was also inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in two thousand and five. Now, believe it or not, and I full transparency here, I never saw Creeden's Clearwater Revival perform live in concert. It was well, they broke up in seventy two. I was going to stuff, but I don't even remember them playing anywhere particularly that was accessible to a sixteen or fifteen year old at the time. But I am going to see John Fogerty this fall, possibly twice, so I can make up for that. And back in two thousand and eight at the south By Southwest Festival in Austin, Texas, I actually got to sit and eat dinner at a restaurant with Creden's Clearwater Revival's bass player Stu Cook, who we've gelled as those all sorts of tales of you know, how much how.
Speaker 2: Much dislike there is amongst Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that, And he was also with Doug Clifford. They had a group called I don't know, they may still be doing it Creden's clear Water Revisited, and they were doing that at the time, which apparently I didn't. I didn't see them, but apparently all I heard was good things that they almost sounded better than the originals. But I can't, I can't.
Speaker 2: I think there were issue legal issues with the name too. I think they tried to take Creeden's clear Water Revival, and then that turned into a mess, so they wound up renaming the group.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I remember I was somewhere and they were in the area, but I didn't get to see them. I know, it was just not feasible. Anyway, That's that's my story for today. And now go see a concert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you and I are going to be at the same show, at least one of them.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, that's right. Yet at the site of Woodstock itself, the original festival in dethel Yep will be there, which they played at, and we're kind of overshadowed or undershadowed by the Grateful Dead, who took more time tuning their guitars than they did actually playing. Yeah, and by the time Creden's came on, if I'm not mistaken, it was like way you know, everyone in the morning, Yeah yeah, everyone had fallen asleep.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well he puts on a great show. His two sons are in the band, you know, they each play guitar and all that, So definitely worth going to see him.
Speaker 4: I'm looking forward to it. Like I said, I never saw him, so this is this will be a first for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's eighty now, I believe right.
Speaker 4: Yep, yeah, if he was born forty five. Yeah, so he hated a birthday last year and all that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, definitely a good show.
Speaker 4: I'm catching up to him, but not not quite.
Speaker 2: And the video for the Old Man down the Road is definitely eighties but it's worth watching. It was simple but kind of creative. It follows a guitar cable everywhere through the woods, down the road, blah blah blah, and it just snakes all over the place. And of course at the end of the cable is John playing and singing.
Speaker 4: So he appears in it a few times as you travel through the you know, in different not disguises, but different different guys. Is I guess it's good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, fun, excellent. All right, you got a thumbs up for me so far one of my favorites, so works for me. Good lead off, all right, thanks Neil, Gail. We're up to you.
Speaker 4: You know me.
Speaker 3: I'm always looking for something a little different. I didn't want to just pick, you know, anything too well known, although some of the people in this group might know some of these people's work. The band I chose is Bowling for Soup. Yes, did you, Barbara, didn't you do a Bowling for Soup song once.
Speaker 6: On a while back?
Speaker 13: But I don't remember which one I picked because I love them all.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I did one on this show also yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, I knew somebody. Yeah yeah yeah. So apparently they are commonly abbreviated to BFS and they're an American rock band. Formed in Wichita Falls, Texas, in nineteen ninety four. They've had various member changes over the years, between people going to do solo projects and people having health issues, and it all ended up where following the lead guitarist, Chris Bernie's retirement in twenty twenty five, Jarrett Reddick is the only remaining original member now. Before they were Bowling for Soup, they were a band called Rubberneck, but they decided in nineteen ninety three to change the name of their group to Bowling for Soup, which was derived from the phrase bowling for and it's a word that begins with S but is poop from a comedy act by Steve Martin. And in nineteen ninety six, Bowling for Soup relocated to Denton, Texas. They have done some work with the Dolly Ruts. September eighth of ninety No September twenty fifth, twenty twelve, they released a split album with The Dolly Ruts and Patent Pending called One Big Happy, where the bands performed covers of each other's songs. Those three bands went on tour of the same name that year. In October twenty twenty. Bowling for Soup had planned and announced a Surf the UK tour in twenty twenty one with Litt and The Dolly Rots, but they were forced to cancel due to why what happened in twenty twenty COVID. It had to be rescheduled, and it got rescheduled to April of twenty twenty two. Now, the song I chose.
Speaker 2: Is from.
Speaker 3: Well, the song itself is getting old sucks, but everybody's doing it, which that's true in it.
Speaker 2: I don't know I'm getting older. I'm kind of liking it.
Speaker 4: You know, as the older you get, the more you like it too, because from what I'm told, it beats the alternative.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, when you're.
Speaker 4: Young, you say, oh, I don't want to get old. I don't want to get old, and suddenly it's like, wait a minute, this doesn't sound like actually a bad idea. I think I'll keep signing up for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's better than not getting old. So getting old sucks, but everybody's doing it. Is a catchy pop punk song I Didn't know that was a thing? Pop Punk released as a single on May seventh, twenty twenty one, and later featured on their twenty twenty two studio album Pop Drunk Snot Bread Now. The name of that album was a riff on uh, pop Punk's not dead.
Speaker 2: Gotcha? Okay, that was a long walk, but I got you there.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 14: You may think it's funny, but it's not.
Speaker 3: The song itself pokes fun at the physical and cultural realities of aging, such as going to bed early, guilty, hurting knees, got one, and not understanding TikTok. While I deal with is Facebook, I don't have the energy to deal with anything else. Also, the themes are complaining about loud cars, fading tattoos, early bedtimes, asking what's TikTok, and dealing with modern media and realizing that while aging hurts, everyone goes through it together. So let's have a listen.
Speaker 15: He grew up three blocks away the same old neighborhood to do much time on is one, then there's no football on.
Speaker 12: Where did the time go?
Speaker 6: What's that on his face?
Speaker 7: So we thought we live forever out of thing? We're up to that.
Speaker 6: By nine?
Speaker 7: Well, then the streets sound we come playing. When cons try, he said, saying the music is insanely love turn.
Speaker 6: To No Wady and looking back, it was all worth it.
Speaker 16: The truth is getting all suss, but everybody's doing it.
Speaker 6: We were t on the Saint John.
Speaker 15: We changed the same girls, we played in, all the same beads, each other's bestest.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 7: You had a heart attack.
Speaker 6: I've got too bunnies.
Speaker 7: We don't want to live forever? What the fuck is tip to child checkers.
Speaker 15: In the streets, how we complained when cons try to say, saying the music is insanely not crazed, and looking.
Speaker 9: Back it was all worthy.
Speaker 6: The truth is getting all subs good. Everybody's doing it.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 7: I don't think we.
Speaker 15: Can do bridges anymore.
Speaker 6: We need a break.
Speaker 16: Sounds like words original in here and old Milwaukee and Folgers.
Speaker 12: For those new ballads, we.
Speaker 7: Have to run with them the streets.
Speaker 15: Now we complain when const she says him the music and anything.
Speaker 7: Now the smoothies our car shots and remakes and ship down when we playing on music to our memories away and looking that she was all worth it, all worth the true is getting all sucks.
Speaker 14: But everybody's doing it.
Speaker 8: Everybody's doing it.
Speaker 3: Everything that almost sounds like it could be a theme song for like a sitcom.
Speaker 4: Totally definitely yeah, you know, yeah, growing old but doing it right reminds me of the phrase, you know, growing old disgracefully.
Speaker 2: Didn't they do a theme for a was it a Nickelodeon show?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 3: So, Ricking No, rick and Morning.
Speaker 2: No, Now it was a kids show. I know they did a theme for a kids show. I have to look it up. I don't remember which one.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I had never heard this song before I did the research for tonight's show. The album charted and this I don't know. I don't know if it didn't chart over here or what, but this is just the UK figures. UK album sales peak position was eighty. UK album downloads official charts peaked at twenty seven. UK independent albums official charts peaked at thirty seven, UK physical albums peaked at seventy three, and UK Rock and Metal Albums official charts peaked at number thirteen.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: Their musical style has been described as pop punk, pop rock, alternative rock, and power pop. Wow, that's kind of a variety. AllMusic describes Bowling for Soups style as a feverishly catchy and humorous blend of power pop, ska punk, and hardcore, further characterizing it as a cheeky take on pop punk and melodic alt pop. Bowling for Soups influences include Green Day, Bad, Religion, Ramones, NFX, I have no idea who that is, descendants Elvis Costello and Willie Nelson.
Speaker 2: Willie's the og.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think you might have something to do with habit ah, just one just guessing, you know.
Speaker 3: Ultimate Guitar Senior editor David Slavkovich named Bowling for Soup the fifteenth weirdest band name of all time, highlighting a quote from one of the site's users who asked, are they bowling to obtain soup? Or are they bowling in the name of soup?
Speaker 2: Too?
Speaker 4: Deep?
Speaker 3: Valid question, Yeah, very philosophical.
Speaker 13: So they actually the theme song that we're thinking of is Phineas and Ferb and It's cold today is going to be a great day.
Speaker 3: Yep ah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was Disney, not Nickelodeon, Disney Disney yep. Actually does Disney own them yet?
Speaker 4: I know? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, who knows?
Speaker 3: Well, considering since Disney owns the Star Wars, uh everything. Now, that makes Princess Leah a Disney princess.
Speaker 2: You may have heard they bought you know, a lot of the Fox Yeah TV shows and all that, including mash So Corporal, And I.
Speaker 14: Think that would make him very happy.
Speaker 9: I really do.
Speaker 2: Section eight all the way.
Speaker 14: Ye, pibity bobbity boo.
Speaker 17: Wasn't he the only one that actually served in the Korean War on that cast?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a veteran. Yeah. Interesting, All right, well done, I don't want to step on you if you're Yeah, that's a good one. That was cute. I like that one. I hadn't heard that one either. All right, we're gonna take a real quick break and then uh we'll be back with more.
Speaker 1: So stick around Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 2: This concludes the first part of this cassette. Please turn the cassette over and begin again on side to listen to Hudson River Radio dot Com. Don't make us come and find you and welcome back. We're talking about old stuff and mercedes, it's your turn, it is my turn.
Speaker 9: I am up.
Speaker 8: I was the one that picked this and when I picked the topic, I had no idea what I was going to pick for this song.
Speaker 2: It was just vague enough that it could go in so many directions and that's great.
Speaker 4: I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 8: So when I actually thought about this topic, my immediate thought was Aquilung. And I know it's a song that like everybody knows, so it's a little cliche, but it absolutely fits for me. It is a song that really personifies an aging, old homeless man for me. The lyrics are very vivid and detailed. I mean immediately when you hear the opening lines, sitting on a park bench eyeing little girls with bad intents, not running down his nose, creasy fingers, smearing shabby clothes, you get a very descriptively clear picture of where you are and who the person is that you're observing.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 8: It was written by Ian Anderson of the bandje Throtel and his then wife Jenny Franks. Anderson has said, and apparently she wrote those first two lines that I just recited. And Anderson has said Aqualung wasn't a concept album, although a lot of people thought so. The idea came from a photograph that my wife at the time took of a tramp in London. I had feelings of guilt about the homeless, as well as fear and insecurity with people like that who seem a little scary, and I suppose oh, that was combined with a slightly romanticized picture of the person who is a homeless but yet a free spirit, who either won't or can't join in society's prescribed formats. Although the album is not a concept album, it is interesting to me that the Aquelon character is mentioned again in another song on the album, Cross Eyed Mary, which gives you an insight on the kind of person that she is. Aqualung is on the album called Aqualung, released in nineteen seventy one and never released as a single because of its length six minutes and thirty four seconds. At the time, there was a very clear divide between AM and FM radio stations. AM played three minute pop hits while FM played deep cuts. The album was Jethro Tell's first American top ten album and reached number seven in June of nineteen seventy one. The members are Ian Anderson, David Goodear, John O'Hara, Scott Hammond, and Jack Clark, with many more past members the Watercolor album. The Watercolor Album cover art was created by the artist Burton Silverman. Jethro Tell's manager, Terry Ellis, commissioned him after seeing his work in Time magazine. Burton took some photos of Ian Anderson wearing his old overcoat before he painted the cover, and the resulting work looked a lot like a haggard version of Ian, who was not pleased with the painting. Despite his objections, the cover became, of course, an iconic image in rock. The effect that you this is fascinating to me. The fact that you hear when the song hits the line sun Streaking Cold is called telephone burbles. Has anybody heard of that hope where you remove all frequencies except for a narrow band around the one thousand hertz mark. This is to reproduce the sound of a telephone. Anderson is quoted as saying, it's also like when you're a dressing a crowd through a megaphone, or even perhaps the tiny sound of a voice trumpet, which is a non active megaphone. It's a form of address. It's a sound that woke up young pilots in nineteen forty one and sent them into the skies to battle the the hun This is the sound of the Tonoi, the calling to arms of young men going up in their hurricanes and spitfires. It's something that's very much part of the blood of an Englishman.
Speaker 3: Tony is what they call like a public good arrest system.
Speaker 8: Ah, thank you, I did not look that up. So let's hear it and know we are not playing the six minute version. You can thank me later.
Speaker 2: No, okay, really, we'll just fade it out at some point then.
Speaker 8: I guess I did send you the radio edit.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's see how it goes.
Speaker 5: Stung spunding down his nose, raising big.
Speaker 6: Spirit, shabby flood.
Speaker 12: Hailove, crying in the full sun, watching over greeny pad is love Love, feeling like a dead dock.
Speaker 9: Smith out lobby, the.
Speaker 7: Love Manlove.
Speaker 18: Sunstreak and cold, a hold man mon drink lovely taking time the only way.
Speaker 9: Mad.
Speaker 19: As it bends to pick Duggan, it goes down to the bark and warns his feet feeling alone. The army is up park road.
Speaker 12: Solihlam boat and a club teeth equal longer, friend, don't just start away, leasing.
Speaker 9: Your poor old sort.
Speaker 6: You see it's only me. Do you still remember when.
Speaker 12: Decembers fucking freeze, when the ice the krings.
Speaker 6: Onto your fill w a sqeak, make agony, making a sat rattle.
Speaker 20: The glass threats with deep sea diam sounds, and the flowers.
Speaker 7: Fill night lamps and the screaming.
Speaker 11: Sunscreaming cold.
Speaker 6: An old man wanderloaded, taking time the only way heloads.
Speaker 12: Leg turning bad events a pair to tucket. It goes down to the bark and walk his feeling at home. The army und salvation had bad covert.
Speaker 6: Aqualung.
Speaker 12: My friends, don't just got away unathing your brown son, you see it.
Speaker 21: Turn back along, my friend, don't just start away uneasy, your poor old summat your seats.
Speaker 9: Sitting on the monk bench.
Speaker 14: I met the girls with fading heads.
Speaker 20: And stop spuning down his nose, reasying a smearing, shabby.
Speaker 12: Headlong trying in the full.
Speaker 9: Sun what tring have a brady pan?
Speaker 6: Is long.
Speaker 12: Headlong feeling like a dead duck, spending out cases of his brow long.
Speaker 8: Hackld Brian, thank you for playing the whole time. It's so good, though it's so good. I really do get lost in that song. So I don't think I have to say much more about the band. They are John's favorite band and he's done many of the songs. But I do want to add that an aqualung is a portable breathing machine, which Anderson had seen on the TV show Sea Hunt, where there was a lot of heavy underwater breathing. Anderson thought that. Anderson thought that's how people might refer to this character in the song because of his heavy breathing from being unhealthy. He didn't know that it was a brand name, and the company Aqualunge sued after the album came out. The case was eventually dropped. I looked up a few of the terms that I had never understood. So a dog end is a cigarette butt, not what you always thought.
Speaker 2: Is that a British thing? A dog?
Speaker 8: Not that I know, but maybe it's an old British thing. I don't know.
Speaker 4: It isn't It isn't the bad end of a dog, you know?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 4: No, yeah, it's a cigarette yeah.
Speaker 8: And going down to the bog to warm his feet is probably about peeing on his shoes to warm his feet. That's from a comment on song facts, so that's not verified, but.
Speaker 2: That seems counterproductive in the long run.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, yeah, But you never know what you're going to do in a pinch either, so who knows. There's a lot of comments about Aqualunge being a pedophile, which some people say that it is actually the impression of the people walking by him, not necessarily what he is. So people are just assuming all kinds of things about him as they see him sitting on the park bench. Whether he is really all those things or maybe happy, we don't know. Also, there was a comment on song song what did I say? Song Facts from Jenny Franks from Colorado saying this is all wrong. I was married to Ian Anderson and I wrote the lyrics. Unfortunately, it seems I'm being edged out of my credit. I'm going to assume that that was his actual wife, but it's hard to tell what she was referring to exactly the way the comments landed. Oh and there is an official video of the song that was released in Anybody No. Twenty twenty one?
Speaker 2: Wow really twenty twenty one?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, free time during.
Speaker 8: COVID huh I guess yeah, I mean, who knew? I thought that was super interesting. I did watch it.
Speaker 14: It was it was good. It wasn't great, but.
Speaker 8: That's aquaalum.
Speaker 4: All right. Well, I think that that opening riff that dead. That that is like as iconic as like you as Beethoven.
Speaker 2: M it's you know what it is the moment you hear it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's so good. Yeah, Neil do knew anything about the story about when they were in the studio and they were recording it and they came to the riff and apparently in those days you had to get a riff sort of on first take. And oh my gosh, now I can't remember what the other band was that it was in the studio next to them, and they came out somebody like really huge and they came out out in there. They were like waving to the guitar player is he was trying to lay down these tracks and he was very stressed out. I didn't hear that one, but I'm going to have to look up who it was.
Speaker 14: But but it worked.
Speaker 8: The riff is great.
Speaker 4: I love that. Yeah. No, if I say that that, you know, one hundred years from now people are going to hear that and know what it is. Yeah, that's what I think exactly the same thing with maybe like the opening chords to uh Purple Haze by Yeah, yeah, you know you can name that song in one you know, one note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a good one. All right, thank you, Mercedes, John, You're up okay. Well, as Mercedes pointed out, jeth Rotell certainly is just about my favorite band, but I also have another favorite, and it's a decidedly different form of music, Harry Chapin and his folk rock, and I have been I've loved that man's story songs my entire life, you know, ever since I was a kid. I remember having vinyl with Harry Chapin on it, and you know, and it's I don't know, it's just.
Speaker 11: Take to it.
Speaker 17: And there's a lot of selections there. You know, this is a great topic. It's an interesting topic. What's interesting is you can go in so many different ways, the way Mercedes went, you know, the way Neil had gone and everybody. It's just so many different directions. My direction was Cat's in the Cradle. Now everybody knows Cat's in the Cradle. I know that, But a couple of little bit interesting points about it.
Speaker 2: It is from the.
Speaker 17: Album Verities and Bouldered ash from nineteen seventy four, when Harry Chapin was about thirty one years of age, So we're talking.
Speaker 2: About age and growing old.
Speaker 17: When he wrote this, he was thirty one, so I think in a lot of ways, I think he's a very old soul. You know, you could see a young child sometimes and you can say they have a very old soul. I really think Shapin had an old soul if you go back to some of those original cuts that he had done, and it just it just as a certain sophistication to the songs themselves. The song itself cats in the Cradle. It's narrated by a guy who becomes a father. He's constantly too busy with his work to spend time with his son, despite his son looking up to him and promising he will grow up to be just like him, and when the son graduates from college, he declines his father's offer to relax with him and instead ask for the car keys. In the final stanza, the now retired father calls his adult son and asks to spend some time together, but the son is now too busy with his own work and family time. Obviously, the son had grown up just like his old man. So the song itself, I think is about the full circle of life, you know. And I think no matter what kind of past somebody might have, whether it's with family, whether it's whatever it happens to be, life always seems to have these these circles, as I think Harry Chapman would say, So, why don't we play the song and we'll talk a little bit.
Speaker 9: After the child arrived.
Speaker 22: Just the other day he came to the world and LEU, you were way, but there were planes to catch and bills to pay. He learned to walk while I was away, and he was talking for and doing, and as.
Speaker 23: He grew he'd say, I'm gonna be like you. And you know, I'm gonna be like you and the cats and the man when you're coming.
Speaker 6: Home that or don't don't win?
Speaker 9: Who will get together there?
Speaker 6: You know, we'll have a good time.
Speaker 9: Man. My son turned in just the other day.
Speaker 6: He said, thanks for the ball that tomorrow let's play.
Speaker 9: Can you give me the throw?
Speaker 6: I said, or not today, I got a lot to do. He said, that's okay.
Speaker 14: Then you want a way boy smile never tim and.
Speaker 9: Said I'm gonna be like him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I'm gonna be like him and the cats in the brail and the.
Speaker 2: Seas little ball with the man on the ball when.
Speaker 6: You're coming home that or don't don't win.
Speaker 9: Will get together there? You know we'll have a good time.
Speaker 6: Then.
Speaker 4: Well it came from.
Speaker 12: Gollege just the other day, so much like a man I just can't to say his son, am brown of you?
Speaker 6: And you said for a while. He shook his.
Speaker 2: Head and he said, with a smile.
Speaker 12: What I feeling like, Dad, is the power of the car keys, see you laid again, have them breathe, and the cats in.
Speaker 14: The braider and the silverspoon, little boy, and the man of the bone.
Speaker 6: When you're coming home.
Speaker 12: Son, I don't know when we will get together there, and you know we'll have a good time.
Speaker 6: Then.
Speaker 9: I've long since your time.
Speaker 6: My son has moved away. Call him up just the other day. I said, I'd like to see you if you don't mind. He said, I'd love to.
Speaker 9: Dad, if I can find the day you've seen. My new jobs are hassled and the kids of the flood.
Speaker 23: But it's your nice talking to you that if mature nice talking to you.
Speaker 8: And as a hung up the phone, it occurred to me.
Speaker 9: He grown up just like me.
Speaker 6: My boy was just like me. And the Cats in the Cradle and soon the little.
Speaker 9: Warclue and a man on when you're coming home son. I don't know, man, but we'll get together there that we're gonna have a good time there, Okay.
Speaker 17: Cats in the Cradle from Veriteth and Balderdash teen seventy four Harry Chapin, as we said, it was thirty one when he wrote this particular song. A couple of interesting facts about the song. The chorus itself references a children's game called Cat's Cradle, silver Spoons and silver spoons Excuse me as traditional baby gifts, as well as the nursery rhymes little Boy Blue and the Man in the Moon, and part of the beginning of the song was influenced by Chapin's wife, Sandra, in a poem she wrote. Another interesting point, Chapin himself is quoted as saying the song was about his own relate. This song was actually about his own relationship with his son Josh, and frankly it scares him to death. So interesting points there. So it's that whole first full circle of life that comes with growing old. Sadly, Harry Chapin did not grow old, as we know, at the age of thirty eight, in nineteen eighty one, he was in a violent automobile accident on the Long Island Expressway in a New York state and where he was heading westbound on the highway, and he was in a rather bad accident with a truck and was flown to Nassau County Medical Center in East Meadow, New York, where he passed away. What I have always found chilling and eerie about this story and the fact that I've always loved his music, was in nineteen ninety five, when I was twenty six, fourteen years after Harry Chapin, I was also on the Long Island Expressway in the very same stretch of roadway, in the same direction as Harry Chapin. I was also in a violent accident. I was also flown to Nasau County Medical Center by a police helicopter, And I of course am here to talk about it, and Harry Chapin is not. And I always find that kind of eerie. So whenever I hear his music that it just comes to mind, it really comes to mind.
Speaker 2: But sorry to be a real buzz killed everybody, but it's just no more going along island. That's the end of this. So I will say this this song is about being old, or the topic of old and or to get a ride in a helicopter.
Speaker 17: Yeah, but it was all about the full circle of life in Cats in the Cradle. So that is my selection for this evening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, if it's If it is any consolation, there is a hard rock version of the song that came out in like ninety two by a band called Ugly Kid Joe. So I mean it's this same message, I suppose, but at least it's a little more you know, a little more upbeat musically, but lyrically same, don't.
Speaker 17: I'll make it up on the next show. I'll pick out something that's just I don't know, happy, fastly, happy, different whatever. I'm sorry, Mercedes, I stepped.
Speaker 2: On you there.
Speaker 14: That's okay.
Speaker 8: I was just going to say I actually met him at a convention, like a national music convention for.
Speaker 17: Like, what was he like?
Speaker 3: Oh, he was great, he was great.
Speaker 8: He was actually sitting on the dais behind me, so we sat through dinner together. But you know, I didn't really get my nerve up to turn around and like like I was younger then, Okay, today would be different.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, you've you've changed your way, I've changed.
Speaker 8: But I did turn around finally and start talking to him because I had to. I mean, he's behind me on the dais are you kidding me? So I actually I got his autograph, and which I was not going to do because how tacky is that? But I did it anyway, And yeah, he was really nice. He was very sweet. I mean, his brother is sorry. His brother is Tom Chapin, who lives in Piemont. And Tom is amazing. He's amazing. I just love him so much. And his wife is amazing.
Speaker 17: So my uncle actually met him trying to sneak out at the end of a show one night. My uncle was a police officer in New York City and he he was kind of in the back area, you know, kind of guarding the back of the stage area, I guess, and he actually caught shape and trying to climb a fence to get to his car.
Speaker 8: To leave Witch Chapin Harry, Oh, okay, yes.
Speaker 17: I'm sorry, not Tom but Harry, Yes, Harry Chapin. But yeah, And in case anyone was wondering, another little piece of Trivia. The car he was driving was a nineteen seventy five Volkswagen Rabbit, and his wife got twelve million dollars in a lawsuit against the company of the for the the company that owned the truck that hit him.
Speaker 8: Wow, yeah, Can I Can I just go back to my topic for a second, please do.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 8: It was Jimmy Page in the next studio from obviously from Led Zeppelin, and he was at the control room window, and he was waving to him to say hi, and he was waving madly at Barr.
Speaker 2: That would be a little intimidating, I would say, yeah.
Speaker 8: So Barr was in the middle of recording his icond of improvised guitar solo and simply turned his back to keep playing.
Speaker 4: Martin is no slouch young guitar either, let's you know. So I don't think I don't think he'd have anything to be embarrassed about.
Speaker 2: But no, it's just nerds to get you. You know, you're all balanced now something like that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, I well, And at that point Jimmy Page was actually established. He had been with the with the Yardbirds, and Martin had just pretty much joined a couple of years earlier. He was not the original Told guitarist, but he was the longest standing and you know most you know, he is the Jethro Tolds guitar player, let's put it that way. But yeah, I could see him being a little bit little rat.
Speaker 17: I saw a Tall at all enduring a thunder and lightning storm at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in upstate New York, and it was like one of the best shows I've ever been in my life because it was a pretty violent storm with wind and rain and thunder, and you know, that's an outdoor venue and they didn't stop the show and he just played right right through the lightning strike. It was just incredible, absolutely incredible.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I think there's a few groups I've seen, like more than I can count, and obviously it would be The Ramones, the Rolling Stones, the Who, and probably Jethro Tall. And the first time I saw Jethrow Tall, they didn't play acalone, no, because.
Speaker 9: I didn't see them.
Speaker 8: It's their most played song in concert after.
Speaker 4: Locomotive Breath, and they didn't play that either.
Speaker 2: You know why they They hadn't been written, written, It.
Speaker 4: Was nineteen seventy. They hadn't.
Speaker 2: Happen Okay, you got us there, Neil, So Marvin Barry wasn't backstage. Guess not guess not? All right, all right.
Speaker 4: The times after that they played them Yester, yeah.
Speaker 2: Nice, all right. I think I think we need a break after that one. That's yeah one, yeah, so, but we have two more to go, so don't go anywhere. We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Hudson River Radio dot com. Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 2: And welcome back, Barbara. We're up to you.
Speaker 14: Okay.
Speaker 13: Well, I chose something a little more obscure, but believe it or not, I played this on my show at least three times because I keep getting requests for it, and I happen to like this song a lot, and it's a song that many folks of my age can relate to. It's called I Look Good Naked Anymore and it's by the Snake Oil Willy.
Speaker 17: Band, Snake Oil Willie Band.
Speaker 14: I'll get to. I'll get to how they call themselves that in a bit.
Speaker 4: Is that on the same list as bowling for Soup being a weird top ten weird names? I think?
Speaker 13: Well, I think this band formed, like you know, after that, they actually formed a New Jersey in ninety Yes in nineteen ninety five, and although they went through various lineup changes, the core members consist of Tony Krusinski on drums and vocals, and he also handles all their bookings because they do perform live still Seth Fleischmann on lead guitar and vocals, and he does the songwriting. And after I wrote that line, I realized that they basically have two original songs and the rest of us all covers, So I don't I couldn't find anything else that was original, but and if anybody does, please let me know. Also band member Frank de Bonus on bass and vocals, and he handles the band's social media and their repertoire includes classic rock of the sixties through the nineties, and southern and country rock.
Speaker 14: As you'll hear.
Speaker 13: Some of their influences include Leonard Skinnyard, Johnny Cash, and the Doobie Brothers, among others. I Don't Look Good Naked Anymore was released digitally in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 14: So let's pause here and have a listen.
Speaker 6: Will my body could use a little swimming?
Speaker 4: I bet my shirt all when to go swim in? And I ain't seen my feature.
Speaker 6: It's nineteen eighty four. The old lady watch a roll in the haye.
Speaker 16: We turned the lights down all the way because I don't look good in a kid a anymore. No, I don't up could naked anymore. I'm a deep fried, double white version of the.
Speaker 6: Man I was before.
Speaker 16: If I keep on like I'm doing it, I won't fit through the door, and I don't look good naked anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, it used to be a hell of a man.
Speaker 6: I chump wood with just one hand. But I can't do the things I've done before.
Speaker 16: Well, it all happened kind of slow, but I guess I kind of let myself go. Now I don't You couldn't naked anymore, No, I don't luck couldn't naked anymore. I'm a deep fried, double white version of.
Speaker 6: A man I was before. If I keep on like I'm do it, I won't fit through the door or and I don't look good naked anymore.
Speaker 16: With each and every passion year came a lot of French fries and beer.
Speaker 6: And Mabelly hung a little closer to the floor. Now Mabella as big as a truck.
Speaker 4: And the old lad he don't want to.
Speaker 6: She don't want to because I don't look good naked annymore. No, I don't look goodn't naked anymore.
Speaker 16: I'm a deep fried, double white version of the man I was before.
Speaker 6: If you keep on like I'm doing, I won't fit through the door. And I don't look good naked anymore.
Speaker 9: No, I don't look.
Speaker 14: Goodn't naked anymore.
Speaker 16: I'm a deep fried, double white verson of the man I love before.
Speaker 6: If on noon a long fade through the door, and I don't look good naked anymore. No, I don't look good naked anymore.
Speaker 13: Then I cannot tell you how much I love that song. It's very catchy. It's a catchy tune.
Speaker 14: I confess. I walk around the house singing it.
Speaker 13: And if you have like an earworm, a song that got stuck in your head and you don't want it there, sing this one. It'll get rid of it, which is another reason why I like it. So The Snake Oil Willy Band got their name from a Halloween party that had a fake tombstone duration that had the inscription here lies snake Oil Willy. So besides, I don't look good naked anymore. They recorded another original song called Gift Card. It's a Christmas song about receiving gift cards. According to their official website, they describe themselves as seasoned professional musicians with many years of dedication.
Speaker 14: To their craft.
Speaker 13: They go on to note that they are firmly implanted in classic rock, but appeal to a variety of musical tastes. Their website also provides a schedule of their appearances in case anybody wants to go see live music, and links to live videos of them performing both of their original songs as well as their covers.
Speaker 14: And I just love them.
Speaker 13: It's crazy. People are always asking me to play this song. They're just they're such an obscure band. But a lot of people I know just know this song. And I think that's really cool.
Speaker 4: And I love them a lot, so and now a lot more people know them. So there you go.
Speaker 2: I see the appeal.
Speaker 14: Yes, all right, that's what I got.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. That's a good one, all right. So I'm gonna throw a monkey wrench in this whole thing because I went in such a completely different direction. Everybody went with, you know, songs about old people are getting old, you know, the logical choices. But I went with an old song. But crambones, I'm gonna I'm gonna be picking your knowledge on this, so jump in. All right, So we all know that the Star Spangled Banner is the national anthem of the United States of America. Right, So who wrote it? Scott Francis Scott Key. Do you know what he did for a living? In his story?
Speaker 4: Wrote songs about flags?
Speaker 2: You would think so, But no.
Speaker 14: Was he a journalist, no partian?
Speaker 2: No, No, he was actually an attorney and an all He was from Maryland. He wrote a poem called Defense of Fort Mahenry. Now the fort's name is Mick Henry. He took out the sea and put in the apostrophe because you clearly saved a whole lot of time. I'm sure that's why he did it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Well the copyright infringement thing, yeah.
Speaker 9: It could be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how copy was going on at the time.
Speaker 4: Oh, you would be surprised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be. Could be. So his poem Defense of Fort ma Henry, which would become the Star Spangled Banner? Now during which war was it written? Eighteen twelve? Bonus point to Gale. I'm gonna keep track of bonus points because they might be worth something someday. I don't know. Very briefly, the War of eighteen twelve took place between eighteen twelve and eighteen fifteen. England and France were at war over maritime rights in trade, and the US wound up joining because England was all so messing around with American trade as well while trying to interfere with French trade, so they were using blockades all that kind of stuff, So the United States wound up going back to war with England. A friend of Francis scott Key, doctor William Beans, was arrested and held by the British on the ship HMS Tunant, accused of detaining British soldiers who had been wounded. The President at the time, James Madison, sent Franciscott Key to meet Colonel John Skinner, an American colonel, and then proceed to negotiate with the British to try to gain Bean's release. They were invited aboard the British ship. They wound up having dinner with British Major General Robert Ross, who ultimately agreed to release Bean because the general had received letters that were written by injured British soldiers about the compassionate care that they actually received. From American doctors. So it was a compassionate kind of thing. So the American doctors treated British soldiers well. So the doctor was granted his release. But the three of them, Francis Scott, Keef Skinner and Bean, had overheard the British plans to attack Fort McHenry, so they were not allowed to return to land. They were transferred to an American ship that was actually lashed tied to a British ship, and they were held out on the water until after the attack was complete. So this is where the story comes from.
Speaker 4: Why didn't they just why didn't they text them?
Speaker 2: You would think everybody blow to cover all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 14: So so what I'm taking from this is the guy's name was Billy Bean.
Speaker 3: I know, I know he Does that mean he was mister Bean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was doctor Bean, So he didn't go through four years of medical school to be mister Bean.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 13: I know some people that that would fit the description fair enough.
Speaker 2: All right. So at dawn on September thirteenth, eighteen fourteen, the British bombardment of Fort McHenry off the coast of Baltimore started. It went for twenty five hours straight. This is where Franciscott Key observed the rockets red glare bombs bursting in air. The British fired around eighteen hundred bombshells and seven hundred rockets at the fort, but they had to do so from a maximum distance, so they would be out of range of the fort's cannon, which were superior weapons to what the British had, so the Americans could have knocked them out of the water if they got closer, so they had to stay far away, so they wound up sacrificing accuracy at the well. By the end of the battle, four American soldiers died and twenty four were wounded, which is a lot, but it could have been a whole lot worse, considering it was the whole fort under attack. At the start of the attack, the fort was flying what's known as their storm flag, the smaller version, which was twenty five feet by seventeen feet. That's the small flag that is roughly the size of two full sized pickup trucks park next to each other. That's how big the small flag was. At the end of the battle, when they realized that they had come out on top, they lowered the storm flag and raised the garrison flag, which was forty two feet by thirty feet, just to make the statement that is a giant flag. Now, this garrison flag is the actual star spangled banner that is on display at the Smithsonian in Washington, d C. Which is worth the trip. It's one of those displays that you walk in, you go around the corner and boom, it's laid out and very impressive, and you realize how big that flag really was. So all patriotic, it all sounds good, right all you know, Americans came out on top, yay, and we write a poem about it. But you know, I'm not leaving it there. It should be noted that Francis Scott Key was a slave owner. He owned eight when he died. He publicly would denounce slavery while owning them. He represented both enslaved people who were fighting for their freedom and slave owners in court cases. I'm guessing it was whoever wrote the check got represented. Maybe maybe not. His poem Defense of Fort ma Henry has four stanzas. We only sing the first one as the US anthem. The other stanzas have some pretty racist language in them. If you care to go ahead and read them yourself. I'm going to leave that to you. Make that your homework assignment, because we're not going to read them here. I will leave that to you.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 2: The words that he wrote happened to fit a popular tune called the Anacreontic Song, which was the official tune of the Anacreontic Society, which was an amateur musician gentlemen's club in London, England. Nowadays we would just call it like a garage band, but they didn't have garages back then. A horse barn, a carriage house, ben.
Speaker 4: A garage, a garage.
Speaker 2: I stay corrected, You are absolutely correct. You know we could call it a bro jam. How about that. There you go, so you get the idea. Things were a little bit more formal back then. The society was named after the ancient Greek poet Anacreon, who wrote drinking songs and erotic poems. Rock and roll. So at their yeah.
Speaker 4: Awesome.
Speaker 2: So at their meetings they would have a guest, either a composer or a performer, come in, often quite famous, like Hiding the composer Hyden, who was still famous to this day. He was famous in his day. He would come in, speak, perform, do his own songs and then and the members of the group would perform their own songs, have their little jam sessions themselves. Now the Society seems to have fallen apart because in seventeen ninety two they had a duchess attend as a guest, and their subject material was questionable, to say the least at the time, and would not have gone over well with a duchess being present. So I think everybody kind of side eyed it and everything fizzled out after that.
Speaker 8: Prior to that, were there women, there no.
Speaker 2: Gentlemen's club, Nope, nope, nope, nope. So yeah, that kind of burst the bubble just a little bit. But the Society's theme was composed by John Stafford Smith, who was a well known composer and music historian at the time.
Speaker 14: Why do these guys always have three names?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 2: Because they had a lot more time. The lyrics are attributed to Ralph Tomlinson two names, who was president of the Society at the time. The whole thing was ritten around seventeen seventy three. Nobody's entirely sure of exact timeframe, but the melody became so popular that people would write new lyrics over it and there were just countless versions over and over. Like folk songs. They knew the melody and they would just write lyrics to fit whatever occasion they want.
Speaker 3: Mike, that's like one of the most unsingable pieces on the planet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, why do.
Speaker 4: You hear it?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: So our national anthem is actually a spoof on a body British drinking song.
Speaker 14: Yea, I love it.
Speaker 2: So let's go over the first verse of the original song. The idea of the tune is the society is asking an Acreon to basically be their party bro, come join us, be the group leader, and he agrees to it. So the lyrics to an Acreon in heaven, where he sat in full glee, a few sons of harmony sent a petition that he there inspirer and patron would be all right. So the sons of harmonies are asking him to come join us. When his answer arrived from the jolly old Grecian voice, fiddle and flute no longer be mute. I'll lend you my name and inspire you to boot. And besides, I'll instruct you like me to entwine the myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's vine. Now the Myrtle of Venus is a plant dedicated to Venus, the goddess of love, and was thought to be an aphrodisiac at the time. Bacchus was the Roman god of wine and agriculture, so Bacchus's vine would be the wine that they're talking about. So this song is sex and alcohol.
Speaker 4: I thought Bacchus was.
Speaker 2: And mister Magoo, yeah he's a few generations later. Oh yeah, he's coming back. So all right, so that is the song that our national anthem is based on. We're going to hear the original song. And this recording was done by a group called the Star Spangled Music Foundation, which was a nonprofit back in twenty thirteen. I went digging. I wanted to find out more about them, but their website is down, so I don't know what their status is. I don't know if the group disbanded or what happened. But when they did this recording, they used the harpsichord, which would have been accurate for seventeen seventy three. Harpsichord has a very distinctive sound. You've heard it before, even if you didn't know what it was. If you've never seen one, they look like a little grand piano, but they're often embellished with a lot of artwork and brighter colors and figures.
Speaker 3: And it's what Lurch plays.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Lurch plays yep, yep, but you only see that in black and white. You don't actually see how fancy that they would make these harpsichords. They really they would deck these things out. You know Eddie van Hilen's Franken guitar kind of thing, same idea, that's nothing new. The difference is that in a piano, the strings are struck by a hammer, so the player presses a key, the key moves a hammer, the hammer hits the string, so you can play loudly, you can play softly, depending on how hard you hit the key. On a harpsichord, the keys are a little bit smaller. The scale of the keys is smaller. So it's funny if you see an experienced piano player sit down and try to play a harpsichord, because they invariably mess it up because their fingers are hitting the wrong keys because the scale is a little bit smaller. And when a key is pressed on a harpsichord, it lifts up a strip of void called a jack, and the jack is attached to a plectrum, which is usually the tip of a quill, and the string is actually plucked instead of hit with a hammer, so it's actually plucked upward with the tip of a quill. So no matter how hard you hit the keys on a harpsichord, the volume remains the same. It's always plucked with the same same amount, so it's the same volume. So if you wanted to make something louder on a harpsichord, they would play octaves, so you'd get the same note, but you'd hear, you know, two notes at the same time, so it would be a little bit louder. Yeah, gotcha, all right, So we went over the lyrics. It's a song in more of an operatic style with the harpsichord, but it's still sex and drugs and alcohol. So here you go the Anacreontic song from seventeen seventy three. Oh, I'm gonna say, we're only gonna do two verses. So there's a verse in the chorus, a verse and the chorus, and then you get the idea and that's enough, all right, so we don't have to do the whole thing, all right. Here we go on.
Speaker 10: Where he's hot.
Speaker 11: A few songs of.
Speaker 9: And talk about this.
Speaker 11: That's the inspirer on the page on when it's a answer.
Speaker 9: All arrived from.
Speaker 6: The jolly.
Speaker 9: Boy spit on.
Speaker 11: No longer be huge, Ill lane you my name and inspire you to boot. And besides, I'll instruct you like me too.
Speaker 19: In fine they in us when a bacasas line and SI shot you like me to in finetic.
Speaker 23: News to.
Speaker 11: Passing media.
Speaker 21: If when a fonder preturn to agave himself pays, These mortols are sofer the team to pursue the time.
Speaker 11: God, this will stay hardt. But already they cry, and transports of joy all way to the sons of anacron will fly under that. We've got a puddles weln to in wine. That's a lot as coss whine.
Speaker 2: I think we all had the urge to raise our drinks and sway back and forth right, absolutely a drinking song. Right, So there we go. That's our anthem right there.
Speaker 8: So what did they think of it when they changed it or was vastly different.
Speaker 2: It didn't become our national anthem till the nineteen thirties.
Speaker 8: Oh okay, so officially anybody around for that version had no clue.
Speaker 2: They've heard so many versions of it because it was such a popular melody that I don't think anybody cared.
Speaker 8: I would guess, yeah, I mean it's just funny because it's too completely different, uh.
Speaker 13: Huh and drinking and bombs, yeah, the whole concept of everything.
Speaker 8: So who decided to change it to the national anthem? Like knowing the history of.
Speaker 2: It, I don't know. I don't actually know, you know what, that would have been a good thing to look into.
Speaker 13: I guess you were so be funneled by what you did find out that it distracted you from further investigation.
Speaker 2: It's the kind of thing, you know, papers are written on. And how long can I make you sit there and listen to.
Speaker 17: Complicated and colorful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, you know, we have to find that right balance of entertainment and facts, so.
Speaker 12: We'll have.
Speaker 2: I think so well, now, you know, right next time you hear it, you're gonna start giggling and no one else is gonna know why.
Speaker 3: Absolutely every day, I'm just impressed, As I said off air, I'm just impressed. The one guy hit that high note, and that is not easy, trust me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was those tight pantaloons they will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hoist up your breeches.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 13: And also in those days, they didn't have a right or a left shoe. They just had one a shoe and yeah, those must have hurt. So that would really help you hit those high notes.
Speaker 14: Pantaloons and tight shoes.
Speaker 2: All right, that's all I've got for tonight.
Speaker 4: You know you're leaving you're leaving out a very important, very important fact here, but I don't think you even know that.
Speaker 2: All right, what's that?
Speaker 4: Okay? The topic for today was what Okay, now, the star Spangled banner is what the American flag? What is another nickname for the American flag?
Speaker 2: Oh, the grand old flag, Old Glory, Old Glory.
Speaker 4: You completely glossed over that, and I'm like waiting for it, and I'm like, I have to, I have to point this out to you, old Glory.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you totally nailed the topic.
Speaker 2: All right. Cool, So that means it's the perfect time to pull the plug.
Speaker 8: And you get all the points.
Speaker 14: Kick off those big buckled shoes.
Speaker 2: Sit back, loosen your breeches. All right, Yeah, it's time to go. Definitely time to everybody, holds your drink up and we're gonna we're gonna make our our classy exit. Here we go, all right. Thank you Mercedes for a good topic, excellent choice as always, Crambones, awesome selections across the board, and thank you all for joining us here for the Rock and Roll History Show. Please remember to subscribe in your favorite podcast app and check out all the other shows we do at Hudson River Radio. There is something for everybody. We'll see you next week with another brand new episode. Until then, start singing drinking songs and wave your drink in the air and have some fun and we'll see you next week. Peace out, everybody.
Speaker 4: Bottom Okay, bye bye.
Speaker 2: Pudson River Radio dot com a subsidiaria of Glacier Entertainment LLC. Potentially successful. It's a multi hundred dollars corporation.