Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Deep Blue Sea. In the podcast, I am Mark Palm Blood Ledding Halfmeyer.
Speaker 2: And I am Jay What clue to working overboard the podcast? On this show, we've been into the entire Deep C trilogy scene by seeing I'm doing it again with all new wonderful guests. This is DeepC one, chapter thirty. What happens in DEPC one, Chapter thirty Let's have a listen.
Speaker 3: The shark bashes against defense again. Carter makes his way to the end of the sinking walkway, training the cable behind him. He takes that position an aim. The shark submerges and he can't see the shot.
Speaker 4: Damn, I can't get her, She's too far away.
Speaker 3: Susan has a realization I know.
Speaker 4: How to get her. How bait what.
Speaker 3: Cart is distracted by the ramming into the fence again. Meanwhile, Susan takes a discussing rusted piece of metal and badly cuts the palm for right hand.
Speaker 4: She may be the smartest animal in the world, but she's still just an animal.
Speaker 5: Come to Mamma.
Speaker 3: Susan jumps from the tower into the water and swims away from the wall.
Speaker 1: No Susan, No, Susan.
Speaker 6: Don't.
Speaker 3: The recovering preacher opens an eye. Susan treads water out in the open. The shark senses her blood and heads for her, so Susan swims back to the wall.
Speaker 4: Get out of the water.
Speaker 3: Carter races along the walkway with the gun. As the sharks closer, Susan reaches for a ladder run, it comes away from the wall in her hat, stranding her in the water. She turns to face her creation. The shark stops in front of her, baring his teeth as Carter runs and dives into the water, but he is too late, as the shark swipes Susan from the side, chumps her in half, thrashes her around a bit, and eats her all up, thinking no crumbs. Cart looks on in horror.
Speaker 2: So that was deep See one chapter thirty. We've got a wonderful guest to help us talk about this chapter. This is actually our third chapter in a row of let's chools for a minute hosts and regular guests. So completing the trifactor started with with Sarah, and then we had Jack, and now we have m J Smith for what that's Gal from MJ. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks for having me, guys, I am very stoked to talk about this movie. Also, we when we recorded this weekend, I was like, is there an LJ fan sandwich that's happening over on the DeepC podcast?
Speaker 2: And I'm glad I was right unintentional, which is kind of how the schedule was landed to have orchestraight to day.
Speaker 1: I mean we're kind of kindred spirits. I mean, we dedicate vast quantities of time to Shark movie podcasts, so I feel like we'll naturally be drawn together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean it is feel a little inevitable, right. And also, how how great of a guest is Jack Cooper?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Wonderful best? Yeah, we asked him. We just gnarly questions of the guy.
Speaker 4: Anytime he's on, there is there is bs a bounds when it comes like every time he's on, I'm just like, I can't believe you have, like you've spent so much of your life dedicated to this and yet you're willing to talk to us about whatever dumb questions we have.
Speaker 2: We just ran through every shot. Question we had from the film, is that what this happened? Can chucks do this? That was fun for us? Pretty less fun for.
Speaker 1: Him and I pinball all over the place and he kept up with us, So that was great. Yeah, I learned something today, y'all. So there's a scene in this chapter where where Susan doctor Susan McAllister, slices her palm, and I just went, why did Why does this always happen in movies? So I kind of went down a quick rabbit hole and I learned about palm blood letting. And so do you guys know about I'm sure you guys. I don't know if you've researched this, but you all know where someone takes something and slices their palm in a movie.
Speaker 2: It just happened in Ready or Not too as.
Speaker 1: Opposed to like you know, their forearm or I don't know they're calf and or they're anywhere else. Yes, And so I found some reasons and I thought it was pretty interesting. So, like one, it's just easier for staging, because it's just easier to hide on your palm, like a like a small blood pack squib in their palm. And also to like if you cut your forearm, you gotta put a bandage on or you need to scar the entire movie. You cut your palm, you just hide it, which I love and that makes sense. Don't show the palm, don't show the polem.
Speaker 4: It's think a lot of times they'll just put a bandage around that and it's easier to just wrap a couple layers of fabric around that, and like it doesn't really screw with mobility all that much either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you've ever cut your finger, so like I have a cut on one of my fingers here and it's been it's been reopening for like six months. So if I have something on my palm, I don't really take care of the things, Like I'm not going to butterfly it, like a probably won't go get stitches. So a year from now, I'll probably still be like having something wrapped around my hand and it'll probably be like stuck to it. So it's it's just I don't know, but I love it. I kind of but I read about it and like, I don't know, it's like a handshake, you do that so you can do a handshake. Also, I guess it was from stage theater or actors would hide blood capsules and their pomps or break them, which I kind of like. And then also just easy clean up, Like it's easier to manage blood on hand than other body parts and actually can easily control the flow or hide the wound.
Speaker 4: But I like that.
Speaker 1: And also like if you if you see a movie where some cuts their forearm, you're like, yeah, like I've cut my forearm, but anything with the hand like that's that's pretty gnarly. So it's you feel that cut. So I just wanted to like understand why. And then I kind of like looked up a bunch of movies where that happens, and there's a lot of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna love Yeah, it happens a lot well. And so now that you're thinking or now that you're talking about actors hiding blood capsules in their palm, like for the stage I was thinking about in Kenneth Branw's Hamlet, there's the scene where I think.
Speaker 5: Robin Williams stabs himselves in there.
Speaker 4: He gets stabbed in the stomach and then when they pull the knife out, you watch him cover his stomach with one hand and then the other and then squeeze and then the blood seeps through his palm. So like they did that stage craft in the in the film, it looks very movie fake, but probably stage real if you were watching it on if you were watching a production of Hamlet. But that's interesting that it's a blending of both of those things. But he also gets the blood all over the costume as well, which is what you're trying to avoid when you do a cut on a palm.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, because you can just show the audience like, oh, they got me, and then you don't have to touch your outfit. Yeah, when you can just fall so you know, like the poor people don't have to wash it every night. Right, Oh but yeah, I don't know. And then they found the rustiest knife for her to cut it on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not even a knife, it's just a bit of scrap, as like, why is coming out of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Ah do you think? Do you I think there's bits of Brenda hanging off of that piece of scrap?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, sure, yeah, I mean that is pretty part of the helicopter actually that we think about it. So that's where that came from.
Speaker 1: Oh, there could be some of the pilots. There's some yeah, some gunk, there's some what's what do you call inerds? What's a great word for that? Vicera?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I love that word viscera. But I have a question you guys, so you know you're you're pirates, right and you have to make a deal with like an ancient seagoing deity. But you have to do like a blood packed You don't have to handshake it. It just needs some of your blood. This is a very more big question. But I want to know, like where would you guys get it from? Like you have to get your own would you like punch yourself in the nose, Like what would you do?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't I get nose bleeds easily?
Speaker 1: Say, just wait, guys, just wait, I've been.
Speaker 2: Hospitalized with the nose bleak before.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well I I we were talking before we started recording Slash, before my internet died that I'm in Colorado and I never had nosebleeds until I moved here, and it's super dry. So yeah, so that's that's a good shot. I was thinking maybe I was thinking maybe my stomach just because there's I I'm a bigger guy, so there's more surface area, so maybe it'll like it'll hurt less, right Yea, But yeah, yeah, I think that's where my mind first went to because like we were, like Mark said about like the palm. It's there's a lot of nerve endings in your hand man, Like, yeah, it's they're they're designed to feel stuff that can't like it can't feel great to do that.
Speaker 2: You got to go somewhere that's not going to flex a bunch like Mark was saying earlier with a cut on the finger, Like because I I've been doing some gardening works and yard work today. When it's when my hands get dry, they crack on the knuckles and then they just stay cracked until winter basically chill them. I stop doing yard work. So yeah, it's got to be the areas that stay big and flat. So that's that's the tour. So that's that's the tummy for me. Easy or like the side of the thigh or something. Some of it's not not near a joint.
Speaker 1: My cat sits on my lap a lot and then she's just a maniac fourteen year old calico and she jumps off and make sure to put her nails into my legs. Like when everyone wearing shorts, I always get a cut. So I would just be like, hey, guys, just wait, like get a cat like have it jump off. So yeah, that's it. It's a morbid question. But it's just such a crazy spot y'all. And it happens in so many movies.
Speaker 2: I mean, this whole Susan's whole plan is is nuts.
Speaker 4: The entire movie. Across the entire movie. She's got wacky ideas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just feel her idea seems bad because they just reach shot it. It's like originally she lives so like her plan was good, but in this one, yeah, she's Coe's eating. I guess she.
Speaker 2: Swims it down a little bit because I mean, she's going bay. She is still just an animal. The most English she sounds in the whole film, Well, is this scene shut your hand and then just dangle your hand over and drop some blood in. That would probably work. Or if you're going in the water, go in the water, don't swim out, well, don't don't like head away from the like, because she swims out really far, hangs out for ages, like if that ladder was functioning, the shark will still get to her in time, Like the shark is nearby when she starts swimming away.
Speaker 4: Right, well, because what is it a quarter mile away or whatever?
Speaker 5: They can smell wow, something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had I don't know nothing travel too, I guess yeah, and Mark has done the measurements of the pen that pens not a quarter from how long thing.
Speaker 1: And and also too, is it considered what is what she did considered self sacrifice or just.
Speaker 2: Tried to get out? She tried to get out failed sacrifice, not even sacrifice.
Speaker 1: It's distraction, right, because it did work in the first one, I think, But in this one it's just it's like in Kong School Island when Shae Wigham tries to blow up that creature, but the creature's exactly the same. One of the greatest moments. Every time that scene happens, I am filled with so much joy, even though the guy dies, it's just funny, like that's one of the funniest kills I've ever seen. But yeah, I mean, yeah, she jumps in the water, she's bait and then she just.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna go back. It's not exactly the same because that seeing Shay Wigham intended to die, he went out and failed.
Speaker 1: To take self sacrifice.
Speaker 2: So yes, so that was a successful sacrifice that just failed to impair the creature. Whereas what Susan's doing, she's not trying to sacrifice. She just dies anyway, So failed.
Speaker 1: Diversion gone awry?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't know if it's self sacrifice. It does read as the film itself punishing.
Speaker 5: Her right where it's like exactly what it is.
Speaker 4: It's the script is punishing her audience.
Speaker 1: Do you know about the oh sorry, Jay, you go for it?
Speaker 2: Do you know about the original ending and why Saffron Borrows died Susan dies in this scene?
Speaker 4: I do know.
Speaker 2: So the original ending, she survived and they did a test audience, and the test audience were not happy that she survived. That's really funny, and so they reshot it without Saffron Borrows killing her off. And then she found out that she died at the premier, which is mean.
Speaker 4: So how did not How did they get her mind in the sea?
Speaker 1: My best guess of how this originally went down is that she got Yeah, so like he jumps on, he jumps in the water and gets on the shark's back and takes a shark ride mm hmm. And while you know, while he's distracting her, she climbed out, got the gun and then shot it through his leg and then into the thin and then she blew it.
Speaker 2: Up because the little inset shot of Preacher opening like his eye is that's a reshoot? That wasn't That's not like in the original.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, the little Jaws reference.
Speaker 2: How is that a little Jewels reference? Please? Like, I'm sure everything when Sarah was on everything's Jewels reference if you try had enough.
Speaker 4: So, yes, that is true. You're talking about Preacher shooting the area, right.
Speaker 2: I mean in this in this scene, there's like little Preacher opening an eye because he hears like going on and that's like, I assume that's assume the next scene he's like heroic music coming to rescue kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that just kidding. That is not the jawsa reference that I was thinking of. I was, I was, I got ahead of myself. I was thinking towards the end of the film when it shows him like close one eye to shoot, actually shoot the harpoon through the fin that's that's a Jaws reference. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, because I also heard the THELLJ took this movie only if he didn't die right, because he didn't want to be like his first because it's his first movie and he didn't want to be the like the black guy who dies in a horror.
Speaker 2: Movie that would explain every horror movie he's done, because he's yet to be killed.
Speaker 1: Halloween halle h lived and you think he dies, and then this one you think he dies but he lives, and then Mine hunters. So he's three for three. J Yeah, he's three for three in these movies.
Speaker 4: He's also in Halloween H two.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's Ronnie, the security guard who's a and I'm an aspiring writer and he spends most of the time talking about his erotic fiction to his wife on a phone.
Speaker 4: Is that also the one with bus?
Speaker 1: I just say that in a sentence. I love Halloween H two more? Now, guys, the fact that I could actually describe a character doing that.
Speaker 4: Sorry, is Buster rhymes in that to you? Or is that resurrection?
Speaker 1: That's resurrection?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, I'll defend I'm not well versed in my in my Halloween.
Speaker 2: You're doing better than me. I've seen exactly two I have seen.
Speaker 5: I've seen three.
Speaker 2: I've seen three.
Speaker 4: I've seen four, but the three of the four are the new the David Gordon Green trilogy, so I've only seen the original and the Gordon Green ones.
Speaker 2: I've seen the original David Golgreen's first one, and then I watched Halloween two in preparation for Rennie Harden's The Strangest Chapter two. Because the films that take place in the hospital immediately after the first film, I'll watched this references. There were no references.
Speaker 1: That's a tough franchise because there's like seven timelines. There's the first one, then there's David Gordon Green movies, and then there's one in two and then Halloween h two zero in Resurrection and yeah and Rob Zombie, yeah, oh yeah. Then there's the Rob Zombie and then there's one two. I think, I don't know if three's ever mentioned. One, two, four, five six where Jamie Lee k where Laurie Strode is killed. So there's four or five different timelines. I don't like it. That's why I like Chucky. He's like, we're just doing one, no matter what happened, We're sticking with it. If I directed a horror movie, if I did Jaws five, I would tie in all of them. I would go for sure Brodie's grandkid would be hunted in this one totally, and it would be by like they tested, Yeah, they are a great white Chark. Was they get a tag of it, and they learned that it has the same DNA strand as the shark from the first four because they have that on order. So they're like, it's a blow feud. And I would call it Jaws blood feud, blood lines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was, Yeah, I was thinking blood lines. That's where I was going with it. That's what you know what I would do. I would call it Jaws old chums, old chums.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, old jump, So you're back for more, you know, just we've never met, you know, just yeah, like, does the shark just talk to me? Why not? I would keep everything you guys.
Speaker 4: You guys have the the the novelization of Jaws, the Revenge right Voodoo? Yes, yeah, voodoo shark.
Speaker 1: Stupid question, m J. How long did it take you watching Jaws to know that he was saying smile? Because I don't think I knew he was saying because I watched that movie young. I don't think I fully understood. I was just gonna smor like I never did you guys know that from the jump that it was smile because.
Speaker 2: It's always before I saw the film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 1: So I just watched it so young. I just he mumbles that does he not? Am I crazy?
Speaker 4: Is that a kind of a m There's a lot going on in the audio track, but I had the benefit of, like I saw it really young but didn't remember a lot of it. And then I had the twenty twelve Blu Ray that came out, which like just up the like the restoration on that is one of the best things I've ever seen. So the audio track is crispy in that one, so it's it's it's pretty clear in the Blu Ray release.
Speaker 1: I think, so smile you son of a Bitch, Yeah, kind of, and so from yeah, okay good. I just had to ask that because I didn't know that line for years and that was like my favorite movie. I just but I also I don't remember the words of most songs. I just kind of like with the vibe. So like whenever I try to sing with my daughter, she's like, Dad, that's it's not it. I kind of wreck her vibe when I sing you know, Golden with her from K Pop Demon Hunters, I kind of wreck it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, but you.
Speaker 2: Know, so, MJ, what's your history with deeply se We kind of went straight into it. When did you first see it.
Speaker 1: We went straight, We went deep quick.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I just related this story to my girlfriend when we were watching it the other night because she had never seen it before. She she loved it and the I mean, so my history with that movie is I was home for lunch from work and channel surfing and it was on FX, but I didn't.
Speaker 2: Know Yeah, wow, okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was. I was on my lunch break from work and I went home to eat and I was eating and I was just channel surfing and I was like, oh, what's this. I saw Samuel L. Jackson and it just happened to be his death and I was like, that's the best thing I've ever seen. What is this? And so I did like the channel guide and found out it was deep Lucy. And then this is back when video stories were still a thing. So I went to the block but stre near my office and rented it and went to and watched it with my friends that weekend for the first time. So that was the first time I saw it, and then I didn't see it again until we did our Let's Jaws for a minute episode on it and I watched it with some friends of mine who had never seen it, and what a blast. It's It's a great movie to show to people who haven't seen it before because it's so there's so much wild stuff, and also once that, once it takes off, it just takes off and there's it's really fun. And for this, I borrowed the Arrow four K from my buddy who bought it in the last Arrow sale that they had, and I was talking to them about it and I was like, I think this is the second best chark movie, Like it's Jaw. For me, it's Jaws and then and then this. Now. I know a lot of people will say not a high bar to clear after Jaws, but I think this movie is like really fun and funny, and the set pieces are great. I think Greney Harland does a great job directing this. And I'm actually really stooped for Is it deep water?
Speaker 1: Is that the deep water?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean every Shark list should just start at two to make it interesting, because that's the interesting one. And if you put Jaws at number two, you're just kind of you're you're, you're, you're mucking up the you know, I don't know, you're what is the word you're, I don't know. You're just messing with people when you do that. So I will say Deep Lucy is the most shark movie, features the most shark on screen that of any shark movie, because they're always on screen. Hnnie's like, I got sharks. I got three of them.
Speaker 4: They look great.
Speaker 1: I'm not in the ocean. I'm gonna tank in Mexico. I'm gonna show that the heck out of these things. So it is the most and it has like it has the least amount of time of between attacks of the sharks. They're on screen a lot some good kill. So I would I think if we did a movie where it's like, what's the most shark movie of all time and lay down some rules because people bagage to make because it's the biggest shark.
Speaker 4: But I would.
Speaker 1: I would definitely say it's Deep Blue c So that makes me happy. This is gorgeous. That made me so happy that you liked it. Have you watched any other runny films? Like, what are you a runny person?
Speaker 4: I've seen I've seen Diehard too, I am how let me pull up his filmography here, I've not seen any of the strangers.
Speaker 5: That's fine, fine, Yeah, that's that's what I've heard.
Speaker 1: From the second one.
Speaker 4: Oh I love long kiss good night.
Speaker 2: Yes, as you should.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm rocks. Yeah, have you seen Cliff I've not seen Cliffhanger straight full. I yes, this is I have seen that because I've seen all the Nightmare on M streets. I have no clear memory of that one though.
Speaker 1: Mine Hunters.
Speaker 2: It's got like a pizza kill and.
Speaker 1: A shark killed his claws like a sharks fin he does as.
Speaker 4: I've not seen mind Hunters. But this cover, Yeah, this cover was on the wall of the Hollywood video I worked at, which was my first job out of high school.
Speaker 1: I worked at AMC Theater. That's like my best job ever. I know it's a different place, but I love that job so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I loved my video store jobs, although I will say the theaters were the big leagues to us, Like we all wanted to work at the theaters.
Speaker 1: I was an usher. I could tire fourteen tickets with one hand. Yeah for rass people live in the dream. I loved it, so wait the big leagues. I always wanted to work at a Blockbuster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that that was. That was sort of It went kind of back and forth that way because all my friends that work at theaters wanted to work at the movie the movie store is because they got the free rentals.
Speaker 1: It'd be nice to talk to people at a rental place like what are you reading?
Speaker 4: Yeah, looking back, I do think it was the better for like a budding Young's and a file I think video store is the move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good point.
Speaker 1: That would have been nice to work at the I think I applied once and they wouldn't take me. Yep, I did a Hollywood video and Blockbuster I went. I went away every other every weekend in my dad's house, like you. And also the local movie theater near me was like that too, so they were like, yeah, you can't. You got to be here every weekend if you want to work here. And I had to work at a burger king just letting everyone know, free burgers.
Speaker 4: All right, Jay, back to deeply see.
Speaker 2: So I never worked in a video still I want to.
Speaker 4: I have also always been fascinated by Cutthroat Island. I have not seen it. I've not seen it.
Speaker 2: It's better than its reputation. It's a massive flow, but it's still pretty good.
Speaker 4: I believe, I fully, fully buy that it's actually probably not a bad movie.
Speaker 2: It's you know, create of the Caribbean pirate movies. NOTORISSI did terribly and that just happens to be won. So no one, no one wanted to see pirate films. But it's a good it's a good time. Franklin Jeda is an excellent bad guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jay, there's several shots that are just incredible, that just looked gorgeous and the thing's incredible, Like at the end they fight on the mast of a boat and they're actually up on the mast of a boat and it looks like two actors are up on the mast of a boat and it just looks gracely. I love it so much, Like that's why I missing you already went a little crazy. I read for his wedding they had grafts and a hot air balloon. So he's extra.
Speaker 4: So was the theme around the world in eighty days.
Speaker 1: I have and they weren't married long. He's like, yeah, we probably went a little too far on that. Yeah, it was like it was if it was. It was an article from ninety nine talking about how he kind of had to get rained in from this one because on this film that he had, they said they had him on tight leash for this one. Which was smart because it's a great movie and it didn't become Cuthlode Island. But yeah, he they was talking, I was wedding and there was like hot air balloons and wildlife and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it kind of seems like that's what The Stranger's Trilogy is is they kind of just let him off the leash. And oh no, not at all.
Speaker 1: They let him to east What where's Slovia Slovaka.
Speaker 2: Oh it's like Bolivia or yeah, they sent him to Olivia Estonia.
Speaker 1: I think something like that. And it gave him fifty two days to shoot three movies.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: And then he had like two three weeks of Rechi the first Yeah, but maybe like twenty days to reshoot. So all told, we had probably like seventy two days to show shoot three movies.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Slovakia, Slovakia. So yeah, the first go around was he shot. He legitimately shot three movies in fifty two days.
Speaker 4: That's nuts, man.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, most of his films post the two thousands have been made pretty quickly. He made the Legend of Legend of hees found out he was making it like three weeks before they started production and he just like real, rushed to it and made it a month and it's and that's a reasonable film. You know, it's incredible, but it's it's it's decent.
Speaker 4: I do have a funny Skip Trace story. I have not seen Skip Trace, but when when I was married and uh, maybe this led to my divorce, I would uh, I would We would be scrolling for things to watch on Netflite, Netflix, and I would say do you want to watch Skip Trace? Every single night because my ex wife could never remember what movie that was? And it became a little bit for me to see how it was close to a year before I finally had to break the news to her that, like, I've been doing this every day basically, that we've been trying to find something because they would go do you want to watch Skip Trace? And she would go, what's the heck? And I would say it's the movie with Jackie Chan and Johnny Knoxville and she would go, oh, no, not really. And it was that exact exchange at least every every other day for close to a year, and one of one of my favorite things I've maybe ever ever done. It was funny to me always that is.
Speaker 1: A very generic title.
Speaker 2: Skip trace.
Speaker 1: If you're not paying attention, it's like a it's like chill factor, or it's a it's like a ninety hard rain firestorm. Yeah, yes, but it's fun. Jay, we liked I like, I like. I like it more than you, right, skip trace.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's fine.
Speaker 1: If you just watched like the first big action set piece with the like the Russian nesting dolls, then I think you're good.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember it.
Speaker 1: And then the water scene water, Yeah, I remember the water I think is.
Speaker 4: The poster because they are Yeah, at least on Wikipedia, they're they're clearly soaking wet.
Speaker 1: On That one's good, and it's basically just a a travelogue for China. That was what it was meant to be. They went like they went, they were like all over the country and just filmed everywhere and made it look gorgeous. And then Renny Harlan stayed over there and made a couple of movies that are bonkers. But yeah, it's there's a good one. I think Knoxville gets stuck in a tube and then.
Speaker 2: Is upside down being held. I think like forced to get married, orn't they It's yeah, it's it's it's fun. It's fun enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, maybe I'm just a Johnny Knoxville guy.
Speaker 2: I think you're just I do like.
Speaker 4: Johnny Knoxville quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Could he have been in this movie?
Speaker 2: Could he be cause of Blake.
Speaker 4: Preacher?
Speaker 1: He would have to be Preacher right or Skogs? Oh, you'd be Scogs for sure. Yeah, like the tensile strength, like I don't know, man, like I thought.
Speaker 4: I thought it was good. Yeah, I mean, who is Michael Rappaport If not Johnny Knoxville.
Speaker 1: Trust me because I'm trustworthy and he's not problematic. Now he's still like crushing it, like a lot of brain damage, but he's still doing like good stuff.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: So it's yeah, he could be a good But I wouldn't want him to die though, when at the end when he puts up the little thumbs up and then his his leg gets separated from him, I'd feel bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I feel I thought that wouldn't kill Knoxville. He's been through worse than eating him.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 1: He'll be better well.
Speaker 4: Although one of the Jackass guys did get bit by a shark. But during Shark.
Speaker 1: Week, Oh yeah, was that Pontius.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: It was one of the new guys that they added for the fourth one. Go Poopies, I think is what he goes by. Yeah, that makes sense, but it Yeah, it bit him on the palm oddly enough and like severed a couple tendons and it took a couple of years of recovery and pet for him to get like full range of motion and stuff back. It was kind of intense worth it.
Speaker 1: M hmmm, where'd you get that from?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: I joined the Jackass here, Yeah.
Speaker 4: They did, and they it's it's in the show that they did too.
Speaker 1: Like, wait, your name is Poopies, right.
Speaker 2: At least out of the story.
Speaker 1: You know what's great about that, though, is he didn't give himself that name so ill and someone gave him that and he's just owned it because no one goes into like, like, hey, what's your name Poopies? Like no one, no one does that. So he had to. Someone had to give him that and then let it stick and he just went with it.
Speaker 4: So I does cage and hole you into you can only be part of Jackass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel bad if you're nicknames poopies. Like let's say you're like seventeen to twenty five, your nicknames poopies, and you go through like a huge jackass phase. But then you go to like business school and you start a business and you like open up a successful chain of like car washers, get married off kids. Everyone's still gonna just think your poopies. Like you have a nice house, no debt, and everybode's like all that poopies. He's crazy. Yeah, and he's just mowing his lawn, Like, I'll look at that idiot. You're always gonna be poopies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, It's like Curly from the Three Stooges.
Speaker 1: It's always gonna be Curly no matter what he does. You guys got me one to Wat's Jackass.
Speaker 2: Now I have still never seen it.
Speaker 1: Never would you want?
Speaker 4: Would you recommend jack Jackass to Jay? And I don't. I'm not sure. I will say that there is something about Jackass that bypasses all of my higher thinking and just activates this like primal lizard brain like laughter response in me. Like I love those movies a lot, but if someone doesn't, I also totally get it. There's just something about it that just is so silly and juvenile that like I can't help the smile at it. It just it's so it's so what it is right, Like, it does what it says on the tin so well that I feel like it's and then you have to reckon with it at some point in your life either way.
Speaker 1: And no one seems to really want to get hurt in it, which I like sometimes if they were really up for it. You can tell when these things like Bam starts crying, you know, like you know, Ryan don Ip, he starts crying. Like these guys are not They're not looking forward to a lot of it. I think that's what makes it kind of fun.
Speaker 4: Well, there's I will say, there's gross out stuff that happens that is not my favorite. I don't love that kind of like the really gross stuff that they do, but the the stunts and stuff really like it's it's this like America's Funniest home videos, uh, but the most extreme version of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 4: It just gets I mean it's it's basically the man gets hit in football. It gets hit in the crotch by a football group from The Simpsons. Yeah, it's it's that. It's it is it is.
Speaker 1: That like idiocracy, Ouch my my balls.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then I laugh when I say that, So I don't know. Maybe I am the target audience I enjoy. It would be better Sean william Scott, Johnny Knoxhell or Tom Green ass Goggins.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't feel bad when Tom Green gets killed.
Speaker 1: I think Tom Williams Scott.
Speaker 2: And Cook and written for the Shocks.
Speaker 5: Sure, I think.
Speaker 4: Tom william Scott is the most neutral feeling I have. Yeah, yeah, I like him, But if I watched him, if I were to watch him get eaten by sharks, I wouldn't feel too bad about it either.
Speaker 1: If it was this goon character, then I'd be mortified. Sure, or stiff Lark.
Speaker 4: Is like that?
Speaker 1: Does that just happen'd?
Speaker 4: That'd be a heck of a way for that. That franchise and Legacy sequel where they have to fight a shark.
Speaker 1: American Island. Oh yeah, stupid, sorry, not you, the American Island.
Speaker 4: American Pilon, American pilot, yep, oh, American Pilot.
Speaker 1: That's great, that's right though, American Piland.
Speaker 2: This, oh man, that's one of the straights TV sequels.
Speaker 1: Yes, are in like definitely yea. It was like it made an O three and everyone wears those.
Speaker 2: Things, Yeah, wring her T shirts, m is back, and nobody else.
Speaker 1: A lot of gel yeah mmhmm, well, okay, John Knox so I think would be my favorite still mm hmmm.
Speaker 4: I think he's the most charismatic out of the ones that you named. For sure, which.
Speaker 1: Character would be deep blue Sea character would do the best on Jackass? Like what if like doctor Susan McAllister was in a giant shopping card.
Speaker 2: I mean if cast is the most physically, he's the most physical, he's the most like active, but he also can't stay standing up. I don't know how He's always falling over, but that means it's like resilient. He doesn't to bruise easily.
Speaker 4: I mean that is kind of the plot of the Jackass movies. If if you were a pinpoint of guys are standing up and now they're not standing up.
Speaker 2: I think, uh, Brenda has like the lower is the most up for anything, the most kind of game for for a challenge.
Speaker 1: She's the party captain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a that's a good point.
Speaker 1: So Brenda.
Speaker 2: I think if I think Brenda and Castro, you go to of.
Speaker 1: All the character as well, getting hit by like a giant hand. I think it would be Brenda.
Speaker 2: M hmmm, I mean giant. How giant is this hand?
Speaker 4: It's pretty big?
Speaker 1: Like did you ever see that?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 4: Might be the funniest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll after this episode. I will send it to you and it's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just I guess.
Speaker 1: Carter could be a former skateboarder who joined the crew after prison.
Speaker 4: Carter has or surfer.
Speaker 1: Carter has surfer and oh yeah, he's a surfer that occasionally joins because you have them, like you have Tony Hawk and all the meeting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Tony Hawk, and like Matt Hoffman pop up every now and then, yeah, he's he's like, it's like Kelly Slater and Carter.
Speaker 1: Wait, oh yeah, Carter Blake. And then you could have Slater Trent from Deep Blue cy two and there as well have a bunch of Slaters.
Speaker 2: We're gonna guess m J. You haven't seen the Deep seque, the Deep Blue sequels, please do to his fun Three is good?
Speaker 4: Really? Which one is the found footage one?
Speaker 2: What? None of them?
Speaker 4: None of them? None of think.
Speaker 2: So there's a new found footage film coming out directed by Form I guess the show Maria Lewis, which is I think it's cooled untitled shark movie. It's coming out relatively soon. Uh well, that's that's found footage, so we're looking forward to that one. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love a found footage movie.
Speaker 1: Have there has there benefit footage shark film?
Speaker 4: Open Water technically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they're just sitting in the right they're not already filming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not filming.
Speaker 1: Them, since that'd be amazing if they were just doing like a young Are they okay?
Speaker 4: At least at the beginning. At least at the beginning. The beginning is found footage for sure.
Speaker 1: And then I guess that's kind of hard because it's underwater. So then you have a camera. I guess you could be on a boat and you're attacked by a large shark.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm. I swear one of these was found footage. Maybe it's listen, this is good.
Speaker 1: It's about it's about a billionaire trying to make bull sharks so he can take limitless juice to prevent an AI apocalypse.
Speaker 2: Apparently Open Water three.
Speaker 4: Open Water three, Cage dive.
Speaker 2: Apparently I found fish and we haven't covered that one yet on the show. I didn't like from if I kind of Nike ste franchise after the first one.
Speaker 1: But we'll get in terms of sacrifices. Is this like, this isn't up there with Alien three, It's not up there with exorcists like Quiet Place, No, like Bill. You know what, though, I would say this is the Billy of sacrifices because Billy stays behind to fight the youcher, but the yulcher probably just blew him up. And I think the most amount of time that the oucher needed was to skin him. So it's like, I'm gonna sacrifice myself by standing on this log, getting killed and then getting skinned afterwards.
Speaker 4: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: From yeah, I mean at.
Speaker 4: Least from the first Predator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the first one. And Vasquez is good. It even becomes a vampire. But I don't know, I don't know. I guess it's not even up there with great sacrifice because it wasn't meant to be. It was just a reason.
Speaker 4: Well, because it's not a sacrifice. It's like I said, it's it's punishment like it' it's it's it's a tonement. It is a sacrifice. It's a blood sacrifice more than it is a self sacrifice.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to blame Susan entirely for the sacrifice or the distraction not working, because I feel like she's trying to distract the shark to give Carter a chance to shoot her. Because Carter can't see the sharks. It's morectly made a hole in the fence underwater by ramming into it despite not having a scuttle, and so Susan distracts it. It turns around, it's swinging around the surface, and Carter doesn't shoot it. He can now see the shark. He is close enough to get a shot. I feel like if he shot it in a way that it would get it in the body, that would distract it again, and Susan might be able to get out if the wrong thing, Yeah, was intact. And then they blow the shop.
Speaker 4: I do like that fake out of like, oh, maybe she'll get out, and then the the rung of the ladder breaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like and then she goes this was a terrible plan.
Speaker 4: For Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, even if that wrong doesn't break, the next rung is pretty pretty far up from you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, I mean bait.
Speaker 1: Though she was bait. I guess she stopped the fence from being further destroyed, and then that gave time for Preacher.
Speaker 4: Good yeah, good, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That fence kind.
Speaker 1: Of that's like an all time OOP sacrifice where it's like, well that backfires. There aren't too many of those in cinema, is there?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: I mean Shae Wagham one is yea, that's a good shout. Yeah, that one so much. I wouldn't mind going down like that, Like I re like what happened? What happened to Mark Well, he opened up a bunch of grenades thinking that he would lure a monster to eat him and then blow up the monster's head and said the monster just spun around and hit him with his tail. Send him Karini about a quarter mile into the rock face and the face.
Speaker 2: I feel like what Susan's doing is more similar to Ellis and die Hard, where he goes into make a deal and the guys.
Speaker 4: Shark Booby, I'm your white Knight. Yeah, you nailed it.
Speaker 1: That's it. This is the Ellis sacrifice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that is Yeah. She she goes into bargain and then it just does not work. Spectacular does not work, as.
Speaker 1: She says, it's still a beast, but these things understand cameras and hurting people, so I don't think they're creatures anymore.
Speaker 4: Well, I also think that is a like I mean, I actually think it's kind of a good character beat in the sense of her not like wanting to have control over nature, because I think that's a severe underestimation of animals, Like whoa, animals are. Animals are pretty smart. Like there you're going into the animal's habitat still right where she's like, oh, it's still just an animal. It's like, ah, yeah, but it's an animal that's known to hurt people, like not often, but like in the grand scheme of people who get hurt by animals or animals that hurt people, it's it's in the top ten, right, Like it's people talk about at least in the conversation, the cultural the zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's not hungry, it's well fed. It's just eaten. I mean, this shark is the shark that ate Skokins and janis recent and part of eight Stellen's arm And I think this is the one that ate Sam Jackson as well, well like half of him. So this is like, it's not it's not being driven by hunger. Yeah, we talked to when we had Jack on. We talked to like how much can they can they eat? And they apply can eat a lot before going for like a big trip in the ocean, which this shark is about to do. So maybe it is is car bloading for that, Yeah, but that can't be what's driving it. I meant. I meant. One of the things I've forgot to ask him was when it sniffs the blood, the eyes go from white to black, which happens in movies. Does that happen in real life? Happens in this? Happens in Finding Me? I no, is that true?
Speaker 4: Yeah? There's videos you can see your shirks, like I don't know if it's like specifically them smelling stuff, but like there's a video of this, I think it's a tiger shark coming up to this diver and the diver just kind of puts its hand on the snout of the shark and redirects it. But you watch its eyes roll over happens. Yeah, Yeah, it's like that is I don't have a problem with sharks. I am not scared of sharks. I would go diving with sharks, but that video really scares me, Like it just seems really irresponsible on the part of the diver potentially to be doing that, but you know, they didn't get eaten, so what do I know?
Speaker 2: And then when when the shark gets close to Susan, the eyes go from black to white again, which I hadn't spired before. This is the first time of noticing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some movie roles you know what, a you know what, an extra snack falls out of the landing machine. That's kind of what this is.
Speaker 4: So this shark.
Speaker 2: Cop has jumped in as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's like, you don't expect double prizes, so it's already eaten everybody. And then Susan jumps in the water and it's like, oh cool. And then Carter jumps and he's like all right, great, like this is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everything's coming on, Malhouse.
Speaker 1: I would be car be carbo loaded for this. I'm gonna use that now, Jay, I'm gonna load up on.
Speaker 4: Some uh carbo loaded is really funny, carbo loaded on.
Speaker 2: Some Oh yeah, it just sucks like poor Susan.
Speaker 1: It's just I think the movie did better with her by letting LLL save the day, because you know, I worked in the theater and I listen to people cheer for them, so it's cynical, and they didn't tell her, and the notes to reshoot her were probably legitimately were not Probably they were legitimately like misogynists because they were like Kolo, they were really against that. And so but I still think, you know, if no one ever knew this, that was probably the right idea. If we're I'm talking cynically with money. I mean, I guess she could have, but I think people wanted to see preacher blow it up, not her, even though that's the thing she created.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just feel about that.
Speaker 2: That'd be a different meaning behind it if if she because she'd be blowing up her in creation. But in this sense, her own creation is killing her, which I think means more.
Speaker 5: Frankensign Frank exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: You mess with it, ate her?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah you yeah, you mess with the bullshark. You get the horns.
Speaker 2: I like it, Yeah, the.
Speaker 5: Horns.
Speaker 1: Man, I want to start. I wish I would want to a college because you could just like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, because the macOS in this right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they look the macOS. Jeeth mess with the maker, mess with the makos, you get.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's not a same.
Speaker 4: There's a there's a I don't know if this is just regional now that I think about it. There was a like a body shop in my hometown called Maco, but it was m A a c O. And there. Their catchphrase was, oh, better get Maco to like repaint your car or fix your own accident damage.
Speaker 2: Mess with the Maco. You get bodied.
Speaker 4: Oh there you go, there you go. Uh oh, better get Maco.
Speaker 1: Better get Maco. Uh oh, it's gonna eat meat. Wait, it's a genetically modified makeo.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: And I guess it didn't kill the two guys that well, I mean, Carter was a shark wrangler wanted him. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: Gota.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this movie is great.
Speaker 4: Well, it's also so it we only see two people successfully kill the sharks in this movie, right, It's just Preacher and and Susan. Yeah, so it it had to be one of them.
Speaker 1: I feel like, you're right, Carter wouldn't have It wouldn't have felt right if Carter did it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, that's why he even That's why he even is. He tells Susan, when I shoot the shark, you need to touch the the the the end of the thing to the battery, and then we watch Preacher just do it by himself. So why does he need the help of Susan to do it?
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 2: He was incapacitated. Yeah, we'll talk about that in a couple Preachers done this before. I don't this isn't his first time.
Speaker 4: Maybe, Yeah, blowing up the shark, that's that is true.
Speaker 1: I wish I could say that, like, Mark, do you know how to blow this up? Yeah? I'm blown up sharks? Like what, it's another life. Yeah you've blown up sharks before, yes, several times? Like why, it's a long story. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think this is the most efficient eating of a person we see in this film as well. Yes, efficient fish? Sorry, Yeah, yeah absolutely, because like the shark goes from attacking here, it's swallowing her in a matter of seconds and does not hang around.
Speaker 4: I really like the little move it does with its head to catch the top half of her. Yeah. I think that's great.
Speaker 1: I know it's nuts. This is the fastest VFX of the movie, but I think it looks good. It's probably some of the better VFX in the film. I don't think that her like when his eyes crank in and goes after that looks good compared compared to you know, Sam Jackson's death in a couple of the other shots.
Speaker 2: So look, you know when people complain about the VFX in this film, and this isn't what they're talking about. I mean, if this came out today in a big bob bust, he'd be like, that's a little that's a bit rugby. But for I think that's twenty seven years old. I think it's it's it's possible, and it's a lot better than some of the other films we covered on this show.
Speaker 1: If this is Quinn, that thing would just be swallowing him for like three minutes while he screamed yes, yeah, this is a horrifying death.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of the one of the one of Cinema's best, Cinema's best stats.
Speaker 1: This isn't one of those movies. For that, I think Janet gets it. Janice gets it the worst, and her character is pregnant in the movie. I'm glad they took that out. Like that's the most brutal, but that's still pretty quick.
Speaker 2: Stones is pretty brutal. Yeah, Selens is something else.
Speaker 1: I guess he's just not in the shark's mouth and he's used as a battering ram.
Speaker 2: Yeah, deathout fucking hours. He's dying for a while.
Speaker 1: That scene does not get enough credit, you know, justify. I think sam Jackson's death has kept this movie in the press, helped keep it in the press for for many years now. But I think Jim's is the highlight. Jim's is the most renny, because Renny killing people really hard.
Speaker 4: You know what. To that point, I will say when I saw this movie to people these days, I do say that a shark throws a man and who's on ajourney into a window rather than than it has the Samuel.
Speaker 1: Jackson death while his girlfriend looks on in agony as he looks around the eye. Yeah, would it have been better if they just kept him alive? And when they went in there later he was still floating around breathing.
Speaker 2: That would be funny. And then he's just back in the car.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then he's one arm. Yeah. He then becomes the ash of uh deep.
Speaker 2: Oh, he like straps the spa gunto his arms.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I would watch that, I would. I would. Yeah, it would be great.
Speaker 1: If he tried to like get He had that entire montage of gearing up, which Jay loves a gearing up montage and then he goes to fight the shark and the shark just Obliteratesblis. But it actually would because this shark would destroy you, no problem. So that'd be that'd be great. Just another fake out. So after Sam Jackson's death, really quick, we find him total gear up scene. He looks like just the ultimate badass, and then he goes down to fight him and then just gets killed. I mean to be a waste of time, but I would love it. I would would be a great scene.
Speaker 2: I would like that.
Speaker 4: I would also like that. Yeah, yeah, it'd be it'd be good. Are you guys doing the sequels in the same format or are you just doing do you want one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're already done. This is our second go round. One we've done. We've done two and three once already and we're gonna do them again.
Speaker 1: We're going down Okay, Yeah, you gotta watch them because yeah, just like these films. I hated to it first. I know, in the beginning episodes back in twenty twenty, I was like, I'm not doing Deep Bluesy too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we bring up two and market just gets sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then I watched it again and I just fell in love with it, like I genuinely love the movie.
Speaker 2: Now it's okay because there's only we do DVD chapters and there's ten for two and eleven for three. So by the time we got to like four or five chapters in Mark say, I love this film. So it it's you can listen to podcasting Stockholm Syndrome happen just episode of the episode. Mark slowly falling in love with this film because we're trapped with it for two and a half months.
Speaker 4: I what are unique? What a unique position to be in? And yet I fully relate where you're not. I mean not that I needed that with Jaws, and we only do single, single episodes, but I have noticed, and I don't know if you guys have noticed this too, You're a love and appreciation for other Shark films goes up by doing these podcasts where it's like I went, by the time we got to Santa Jaws.
Speaker 2: Like, what a film?
Speaker 4: What a film? What film?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: It's great, it is a it is a holiday staple in my household. Now you know, it's shameless shameless self promotion. We interviewed the director.
Speaker 2: Of that nice mm hmmm, yeah, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yep, there's there's so many that are uneven. So when you watch one that's fun and spirited and not Mega Python Verse Gatoroid that has some fool ideas, you you do love them, like you just fall for them, because like Sharks and is that for me where I've just I just adore that movie because it's Miss Shock, it's oh Shark in Venice whoops, it's yeah, and Ghost Shock, Oh.
Speaker 4: Go, Shark's great works.
Speaker 1: Like you just love like it's low budget, it's silly, but it just I, I don't know, it's fun. It's like watching a Hallmark Christmas movie. Most of them make you want to just crawl into a hole. But occasionally there's one where they don't go to Vermont and the lawyer doesn't move to Vermont to live with a divorce tree farmer, that you're like, I like that one. So I think with these Shark movies, when there's a fun one, you really do kind of bond with it. I love that about it. And there's some uneven, but so many of it like Jaws Revenge has personality, Jaws three has personality. Like I think, even if they're bad, they have a fun personality to them.
Speaker 4: Yep, I agree. Well, the the MJ ranking of the Jaw sequels is four three two because I think two doesn't have a personality.
Speaker 1: Oh I just you know, two sits back with me. Two is one of my favorites because of the kids in it. Like I watched it when I was a kid, and so I watched it more than Jaws. Like I know Jaws as kids, but this one, these kids were on boats and there in the catamaran.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I mean, it's a Friday of the thirteenth movie with a shark.
Speaker 1: Right right, And I guess I just felt and with the occlusion of the little guys, not just like the high schoolers, I felt more. I don't know, it felt more like that could be me. And I know Jaws has that moment too, but that's I guess that's why I kind of connected with that one. And then Jaws four. I always just went this is crazy, Yeah, this is this is nuts, And even as a kid, I was like, this is nuts, and so I kind of loved it. Yeah, I mean, Jaws is clearly the best and one of my It is my favorite film deeply see is my favorite movie. And depending on the day. It's like sharkton Venice is like my favorite flick, but yeah, yeah, I don't know, that's interesting. And then three is that that lady who's what she's skiing and she looks behind her and the shark is behind her. It's like one of my all time favorite movie shots. Yeah, it's great. And the other three favor Hay three three is yeah, three is bad. There's almost forty minutes spend on another dead shark, like a shark in a pool.
Speaker 2: Yep. Three is just sad. And then there's a shark in a in a lagoon where there's twenty five water skis or in the water and it eats none of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was that dude hole. I love that yep. And then it takes about forty five minutes to blow up the gap the glass.
Speaker 4: Yes, the slow, super slow shark.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's a guy who's like doing underwater welding but still smoking a cigarette. Like there's a guy who's just that kind of a character. It's not happening, but I could see it in my head. And then he gets eat It was like.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't question it. You could put anything in jows three and I would. I would not question.
Speaker 1: It is that guy smoking a cigarette in the water, Like, we got bigger problems than that, you know.
Speaker 2: Aless people get stuck in the underwater. Oh yeah, viewing area and they'll just get out. Yep, they would just they'll just get out. What was this for?
Speaker 1: Okay? Great?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't like them.
Speaker 4: You know, need a blind spot for boats, Sarah and I.
Speaker 2: Cruel Joe's Fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We have decided that the the final episode of Let's shows for a moment minute, whenever that will be, we don't have an end date set, but whenever that happens, the final episode will be Cruel Jaws. The the parting thoughts we have decided to leave with the audiences is going to be Cruel Jawsday.
Speaker 2: Well, you have a treat ahead of your eventually.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, we've never seen it, and it's the number one question we get asked is like, did you guys do Cruel Jaws when you did the sequels? And we always like to the point where it's become a little bit of a meme on the show. So we decided, like when the show, when we decide to sunset the show, Cruel Jaws will be the finale ever.
Speaker 2: Our final film B Mark Mania six seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it Deep Blue C seven Okay, great, So Cruel this till twenty thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've started doing the Friday the Thirteenth films, only talking about the aquatic scenes but only releasing them on Friday the thirteenth, which has put us up to twenty thirty two. I think as the.
Speaker 4: Sketch amazing, amazing. Are you guys also going to branch out and do the just the scene from Zombie?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, we haven't done that one yet.
Speaker 2: No, that will be. It's on the list at some point. Yeah, And I've well, so Friday the thirteenth two thousand and one remake we would cover in May of twenty thirty three and June of twenty thirty three would be our six hundred and sixty sixth episode. So I'm saving Shark Exocist for that one because that seems to fit nicely. That's as far as I'm planning your head so far. But Cruel Jeels won't be in your top four? What would be in your top four shark films? M Jay?
Speaker 4: Well, did did Sarah tell you guys about Shark Exorcist?
Speaker 2: No, that's been on our We've got a guy called Kevin Culp whose lockdown mission was to watch Everyark film and he's ranked them, and Shark exists bottom of his list.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, that is one n correct. That is one of the worst films I've ever seen. So yeah, so good luck in godspeed gents. I am. I look forward to that episode. But who boy, it'll be nice just to know someone else's another podcast has had to go through that.
Speaker 2: Well. This is episode two seventy eight, so we've got a long way to go before six x.
Speaker 4: X Top four Shark films. Jaws, I mean, okay, so are we leaving Jaws out of it?
Speaker 2: We've We've allowed most people to most people have included it. Okay, not everyone, but most people.
Speaker 4: I just I feel like my problem is like I've turned Jaws into a lifestyle at this point as well. But it feels like cheating putting it on this at this point. But yeah, Jaws deeply c I think Santa Jaws. And then have you guys done?
Speaker 5: Wi Shark not yet?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 1: Okay, Shark it is better than Satan Shark extorsist, Shark.
Speaker 4: Shark exocist, yes, by a by a lot.
Speaker 2: You are the first person to pick shark. Really, no one else put it on the.
Speaker 1: List one point.
Speaker 4: I think that is great.
Speaker 2: You're the third person to pick Santa Joe's, which feels low. Yeah, and Sarah was was the second person. Yeah, hell yeah, she also had but she had jos and DeepC as one and two, Saints Jiles numberfore and the Reef was her number three. She was the first person to pick the.
Speaker 4: Reef brilliant one.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't like it, it's too serious.
Speaker 4: Yes, oh that's the one. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember that. A lot of these run together for me, so we had a very like serious conversation about the ethics of portraying like true stories, and uh yeah, that wasn't my favorite because of that.
Speaker 1: That's why I like Blue Sea. No, like, no shark fanatic can blame this or anything, because it's just like the model, like they genetically modified these things and it's just silly and fun. So it's like the sharks aren't even the villains in this movie. So I think that's why it works well as opposed to, like you said, like the more realistic ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will say, uh, if if the meg movies could be more like the last twenty minutes of the second one for their entire runtimes, those would be in the conversation, but say, are mostly people mostly just people talking, And then the last twenty minutes of the second one is like, sit them up, your perfection as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not meg wan Ers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we prefer me two. Yeah, and jet skis and an octopus.
Speaker 1: And stam swimming.
Speaker 4: Yeah in the trench he just.
Speaker 5: Takes yeah oxygen y.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry, that's not even Yeah.
Speaker 4: If they could make a Meg three, that's just the entire fun island scene from the end of MEG two, that would be in my top four. But there's too much not fun island stuff happening in the Meg two for me to have really loved it.
Speaker 2: This is what no one has pick the Make to six people have picked.
Speaker 1: The mag I would be like, Statham, do you want an island? Jack, Yeah, I'll take an island, And I'll be like, okay, cool. So let's just film Meg three there where you and your family can hang out on this island and you're just trapped by sharks and you have to get chased by a jet ski by them all day and try to figure out how to survive. Yeah, and terrorist attack.
Speaker 4: Hm, I would watch. Yeah. Jack was our guest on our meg Extravaganza. We did one end two as well as a episode.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, he picked the mega's number three and then Shark Attack three Megala done as number before. He's a parody of himself. Yes, yeah, Oh, you gotta you gotta watch the Shark Attack films. MJ. You gotta you gotta kept up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I know the I know the line from Shark Tack three Megaladon, but.
Speaker 2: He has the same plot as Deep. It's like someone trying to breathing sharks to kill cancer.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 2: It's just not the main plot of the film. It's just in there a little bit.
Speaker 4: It's like, uh, it's like the Locusts and Jurassic World Dominion.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, do they ever come back?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: I don't mention them in in the Rebirth.
Speaker 3: Why would they No?
Speaker 5: No, I did not see Rebirth a little the look of something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we like Rebirth quite a bit. There's a bunch of stuff and lots of dinosaurs. Well, I mean Tressey Park is my favorite film. I love that franchise even I love it and hate it, but love it more. I can figure it a lot of flaws.
Speaker 1: In rebirths of dinosaurs are just dinosaurs.
Speaker 2: Mostly there's also mutant dinosaurs that are just dinosaurs but shouldn't.
Speaker 1: But in the third film or I mean, I love film.
Speaker 4: I I I'm a really big Gareth Edwards fan, So yeah, create a Rocks.
Speaker 2: It's it's visually the same as his Godzilla.
Speaker 5: Okay, so very similar.
Speaker 2: In some s.
Speaker 4: I like that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said no time to shoot this one, like for big budget like not Renny clear shots eight of them, but for a giant movie like this, I think they didn't have much time. So I mean based on what they have, it's you know, all the actors want to be there.
Speaker 4: Hey, there is a question if you okay, you guys are given the opportunity to give Rennie his big franchise come back, what what do you give him? Like, what blockbuster franchise do you give him?
Speaker 2: Lucy four? Yeah, just because I want the fourth one. Give him a franchise for any franchise, not The Strangers, No thank you.
Speaker 1: I would have him do a John Wick movie, but with like Mark Decostus's character, and with with with the two guys from who survived John Wick three because John Wick likes them, so.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, the guys from Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then yeah them, and then he would and then Mark Dekascus would be around, and then it would just be them being assassins killing people in the museum with sharks.
Speaker 2: I want to give him an alien film. Let's see there it is there, it is. He hasn't has he He hasn't been to space. I think we have not had ever any space film.
Speaker 1: Alien Cliffhanger, Alien Predator.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 2: I feel like I don't want to take that away from Dan trachtenbergs to share your stuff with with He seems to have found his little home there were Predator, whereas Alien is a free for all winters. Who wants who wants the next one? Who? Anyone?
Speaker 4: He takes us.
Speaker 1: So this is what we need, really good script? Right the director drops out and they're like, crap, we got we got this place in pine Wood in London. We have Stan Whiston, creature effects, we have actors, we need a director. And then they call Renny and it's like the wheels are in motion. Script is good, the monsters are good, and then he just knocks it out the Park.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: That's that's the way I see it going. Like, remember how Ron Howard filled in for solo. That's how we could do it.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. We want to use Is that an endorsement?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't hate son if I'd like but I would have liked it more if Lord and Miller had been kept talking me.
Speaker 1: I love Ron Howard, but you know, but he's I was like, just call Ron, he'll take care of it. Like so it's like.
Speaker 2: He'll bring his brother along, He'll be fine.
Speaker 1: And they're like, so they call Ron first for the Alien movies, like I'm busy, I'm on, I'm on the studio. And then they're like, we got Paul Opa Sanderson. He's busy, Like who's next? And then they go like ten down and then they get to Rennie.
Speaker 4: Okay, is the follow up question? Is Rennie before or after?
Speaker 1: Before?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Before? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Before?
Speaker 1: Before ouldn't be used if there was like a German tax loophole and they needed to write, direct, and produce a movie within a like a calendar year and get it released so that a bunch of rich German people can not get taxed on the movie, the money that they gave to the production, and then they get they get it right after after selling international rights, and then they cut the budget in half, moved to Canada and then rent out studio space owned by them. So just be a giant money wandering scheme.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's like asking you is pretty hot. On before after Brian's singers.
Speaker 1: Are about he can make a movie. He could just make it all the movies. All his commentaries is like, yeah, I had three weeks to shoot this and like what yeah, give it ready, Alien Pinewood.
Speaker 2: So, MJ, did you have any other thoughts on this chapter? The film was a whole.
Speaker 4: I think this film is great. I I mean I love the song so much.
Speaker 2: Yes, you want to talk about the song that was that was your dream chapter, but it's not how the scheduling worked out. When I do apologize for that, that's fine. But yeah it's an old.
Speaker 4: Tim Yeah yeah yeah. The biggest uh, the biggest lord drop for us on on our Deep bluecy episode was learning that that it's a reference to a different L cool J song?
Speaker 1: Does it because he mentioned shark fin right? The my hat is like a sharks in another song? Hm? Which one is that.
Speaker 4: It's called I'm bad my hat. So he says, uh mcs can't win. I make him rust like ten. They call me Jaws. My hat is like a sharks fin.
Speaker 1: Oh and they just read really like did that for this?
Speaker 5: I guess, mm hmm.
Speaker 1: But he's singing about becoming a shark and a man and then going in the water and killing people.
Speaker 4: He becomes, Yes.
Speaker 5: He becomes, he becomes, he.
Speaker 4: Becomes the kind of era that he's one of creations in the song.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she created.
Speaker 1: Monster killers, sworn to be swallowed them in flames. They switched my DNA trip me into cool ja. I can't fight the feeling I'm born to kill prey to survive an attack. There's only one way, battle to the death.
Speaker 4: That's sure.
Speaker 1: Sharks play. Were we dueling with the mind? Wait, he's Jaws four, his preacher of creation, struggling to flow with hemorrhages in your getting the lap dance.
Speaker 4: While that's why he's so good at killing sharks.
Speaker 2: He's one of them, well, none of them.
Speaker 4: He's like, have you guys done, Have you guys done Shark Side of the Moon.
Speaker 2: No yet, it's on the list.
Speaker 4: Okay, we just did Shark side of the moon. That was our Christmas special last year. And there is a there's a human shark hybrid in that nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't really want it. I et your ancestors. The ocean is haunted.
Speaker 4: It's my favorite line of that song.
Speaker 2: It's a great rhyme. It's a perfect rhyme.
Speaker 1: Wait, Jake, can wait? I eat your ancestors, The ocean is haunted. No, wait, my name's ll. You really don't want it? I eat your ancestors. The ocean is haunted.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, that works one to one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going, Oh shoot.
Speaker 4: So I am. I am reading about thello cool j song I'm Bad where that he first mentions his hat being like a sharksman, and it says the bulk of the sample is from Rhythm Heritage's theme from the television show Swat. Another movie.
Speaker 1: So he must have wanted it and that and Samuel Jackson's in it.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, huh wait, so he must have wanted to be in Swat then if he sampled that, right, he's just living his best life.
Speaker 2: Good for him, the ocean manifesting his career.
Speaker 1: If I ever got through one song, should my next tattoo be the oceans are haunted or wait, no, what's the line I hate your ancestors? The ocean is haunted? Should that be my next tattoo?
Speaker 2: Jay? Just I your just across your shoulder blades?
Speaker 4: That is okay. Now we're bumping up on Cape Fear.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna start doing pull ups and record every episode shirtless and grow my hair out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and develop a Southern act.
Speaker 1: That's Mark Hofmar.
Speaker 2: It's underneath your.
Speaker 1: Car right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, that was my biggest thing I wanted to talk about, is that my hat is like a Sharksan is not the originator of the uh. It did not originate in the Deep Blue Sea song.
Speaker 2: I think we never covered that before, so we will definitely dig further into that when we cover the.
Speaker 1: Song again, and we'll give you more time for Deep Blue Sea two, we'll go back into it. Three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm notorious. I'll crush you like a jelly bean. I'm bad is also a line in that same verse.
Speaker 1: Where wait, wait in the song I'm bad. Yes, yep, I'll crush you like a jelly bean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tune of rock you like a hurricane?
Speaker 4: I like that?
Speaker 1: Oh what size is this? Is it like a little jelly belly because those aren't.
Speaker 4: That's it's very it's very easy to crushing jelly pean. That's not the brag you think it is.
Speaker 1: Of course, you're like a star phone cup.
Speaker 4: Well right, well that would be if that would be if Matt Hooper.
Speaker 1: Was I have that print right up here.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at it right now.
Speaker 1: Crushing the cup.
Speaker 4: The best.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: I think that will do. I am to plug what can listen, let's find it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were on the socials at I think just jobs for a minute. We are currently doing a season on Spielberg films, so we're we're we just did. We just recorded an episode about AI, artificial intelligence, which is a was a blind spot for both Sarah and I. So that'll be stuff in there, yes, yeah, lots of water stuff at the particularly at the end. And uh yeah. Next up is Minority Report, but that'll be a few weeks since I'm going on vacation. Probably probably when you guys hear this, I think AI will be the most recent episode. We also have another podcast called Let's Party with Marty, which is about Martin Martin Scorsese films. I think when this comes out, most recent episode will be about the age of innocence.
Speaker 2: Nice less Walter stuff in that one, but.
Speaker 1: Not completely difficult if it was Silence.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of water, a lot of water in Silence for sure.
Speaker 1: Gangs in New York's got some good mud work.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Cape Fear is a lot of rain, yes.
Speaker 4: Tape, Yeah, I mean just there's Yeah. The entire climax takes place on the titular Cape Fear.
Speaker 8: Oh, good job, great, Well, any plugs move some of the flex.
Speaker 2: At lifefestersfilm dot com. It's my site and you can follow this podcast all over social media at deep Blue seapot or email us deep Spot at gmail dot com. Next week, Marcus exciting times. Next week is the new Netflix film Thrash. I think it's I think it's just come out where the time this comes out, So we shipp it talk about that next week and if you don't get it to it next week, or do the week after, and then next week will be Anaconda three Offspring, our favorite film. Every recording that episode we both did. But that will do it for Deegnity one chapter thirty dive to thank you once again to a wonderful guest m J. Smith.
Speaker 5: Thanks guys, Yeah, you're learning.
Speaker 2: And Markfmeyer and will Deep Blue see you next week.
Speaker 6: Oh, that's really good in the EPI