Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rovera on Fox Sports fourteenth fifth Day, powered by Nova Insurance Services.
Speaker 2: Sure, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Riverta and today is Dave Silver. We have Henry and that with us. We're on the board. Welcome everybody to Wednesday's show. We've had three different people? Was my co host this week?
Speaker 3: Dave?
Speaker 2: You were at the game on on Saturday Saturday. Yes, it was like last year Saturday already. What did you think. I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 4: We kind of went in with some high hopes, some expectations, and it didn't really pan out too well. I managed to last through the first half, and I know many fans got up and left maybe in the third quarter, miss the probably the most exciting part of the game of the fourth And I'm one of those, so mean, I hate to say it, but I did get up. It just wasn't really a lot of fun to watch and went went back home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I missed the last part of it, like you. I got to the car was halfway home and they had already kind of caught.
Speaker 4: Up, and I think there was a World Series game onto. It's one of those one of those situations too where it's like, what would I rather do watch watch this in person that's going to take you know, four hours to get through, or maybe you know, get home and check out baseball and flip around and watch watch games all night.
Speaker 2: Uh did from that that experience or the one you missed, does that give you hope moving forward?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 4: It was good to see some of the things happening, especially you know tem Mac that that great play he made in the first half, and he you know, he racked up the yardage again, which was great to see.
Speaker 7: I'm sure he had.
Speaker 4: More yards in that one game than he had in the last like four probably, so it was good to you know, kind of get back statistically for him. And you know, Noah was was much more efficient, and they just you know, they were just having trouble you know, on defense again, especially in the first half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no question. What if I told you probably came up against the second or third.
Speaker 4: Team, Well yeah, I mean a lot of those guys are just getting their first taste of college football, I'm sure, and they've had all the injuries, so you know what do you do, and you got to put him in and that's kind of the way football goes. It's you know, I remember Dick Tomy always was talking about, you know, next man up, doesn't matter who it is, he's gonna have to come in and do the job. That's kind of the attitude most football coaches take. And Arizona unfortunately, just doesn't have the depth or the experience depth just yet.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, no question. So we'll see what happens or what comes of it. Now in their trip to Florida, this was before the year started. I think that this was considered a loss before they started, because when you look at the team, well that's a loss, and I don't know, I'm not sure why. But we'll see. This is another winnable game, I think, well, you know, they're stuck in a five game losing straight too. UCF is.
Speaker 4: They've got a coach who's been around the block, that sure, Gus Malzan.
Speaker 7: People have heard about him. He's taken over this program.
Speaker 4: So let's see how they can do their you know, this is unfortunately, it's a battle of two teams who are pretty much at the bottom of the Big twelve. One of the new places you know, obviously for the for the U of A to go and try to play, and it's gonna be one of those West Coast to East coast game time situations. I know it's at twelve thirty our time in Tucson, so it's not gonna be that drastic for them to play a game, you know, early in the day there.
Speaker 7: But let's see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see what happens against all odds.
Speaker 8: Do you know what to spreader is, guys, you can check right now. Okay, it's gonna be yeah, I mean both teams three and five, both teams one and four, the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: Minus six. Oh wow, well well it was all of those favored by six. I think against against I think the SAS game.
Speaker 9: The betting guys are taking the time zone too much into effect because u CF was favored against b YU last week.
Speaker 2: Oh my, that was in really yeah? Yeah, yeah, I took by. That was an easy game. Yeah, exactly, did you see? I thought they Yeah, they played them last week and was favored.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: And they've got a good running back. They've got a guy who leads the leads the Big twelve in rushing yards, r J. Harvey over a thousand yards rushing.
Speaker 7: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: The Wildcat defense has just not been good in too many, too many areas.
Speaker 2: In recent times. I mean, that was the that was the saving grace to this point because it's kept them kind of relatively low. But the offense was the one that's giving them trouble.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the consistency on the off one on the Wildcat offense has been not there. No, not at all better this last week, So maybe there's some hope. With what four more games to go.
Speaker 2: All they're doing is they're teasing you, and they're teasing you, and yeah, teasing.
Speaker 4: Well, they want to try to get to that December forotball game, which would mean they'd have to win you know, a few more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's get back to to we'll get back to that. We're gonna have Jay Gonzalez here in about ten fifteen and ten minutes probably to talk about stuff like this. Uh, you know, he's my co host every now and again. He was for two three years, so he'll be back. And then at the other side, we're gonna have coach what did I tell you about what's his name? Yeah, he's from Walden Grove. They have a big game against Mikey Mountain and we'll talk to him at the four seventeen hour a big high school game. Let me ask you you guys, you met you and I knew Dave because you're the one that's kind of alerted me of this, Henry, what the what the hell kind of student are they growing up at you of a what kind of students they molding out and then moving to New York and acting like crazy people? Oh you got to ask the hockey program?
Speaker 7: Yeah, what have you talked about this on the air about?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, this is just the first of this was all kind of revealed, I guess, well obviously in the last twenty four hours, where you know, Mookie Betts is interfered with on that fly ball down the right field line.
Speaker 7: At Yankee Stadium last night, and some.
Speaker 4: Fans down there, you know, you know, they're they're there and they're gonna they'll get in the way occasionally. But this guy was like pulling off Mooky's glove or trying to put his hand inside Mooki's glove.
Speaker 7: Lo and behold, he's a u of a guy.
Speaker 2: You would know this, who's the who's the kid? Twenty years ago? Now I guess Jeffrey Mayor, Jeffrey Mayor does that name south But that's.
Speaker 4: A long time agin that light in the mid nineties of a Bultimore kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, this guy the CEO sub company.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this guy Austin Coba Coba Bianco something like that, a former U, a student U, a student U, a hockey player.
Speaker 2: And good friend of Gronkowski infend.
Speaker 4: Of Rob Gronkowski, and Gronkowski goes on this show this morning and describes him and you know, talks about the hockey hockey team and the.
Speaker 7: Group of players that he knew when he was here.
Speaker 4: And the guy's been banned from going back into Yankee Stadium at least for the World Series, well at least for tonight, since it's the last game that'll be there. But yeah, you know, we've got all these you know, kind of local connections with Austin Wells playing at the U of A and Alex Verdugo growing up in Tucson, and then we have this to talk about now, So how fun is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Austin Wells had a big home run. Yes you you uh, I want to talk to you, you New Yorkers. What's up with you New Yorkers Henry. I don't know if was that guy from New York. I think so. I think so I was wearing a Yankee yet. Yeah, well he's a fan for sure. Yeah, why else would be going to that game? He's you might have got that in Tucson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I went to Yankee Stadium this year too, and we were really we felt like we were in a different world because well, we had five we had five of six of us and you're not in any Yankee stadium and it was a Friday night and weather, it was no game. Yeah, you know, we were all wearing different uniforms from our favorite teams around the country, and we were just as a group going in there, and we got we got heckled, taunted, and you know, we would turn around because these guys are just just screaming, you know, profanities and whatever, not at us, but just in general. And you know, it got to the point where a few of us just kind of just like turn around and gave them like somewhat of a dirty look. And that's about as far as it went, because they shut us down.
Speaker 7: I was I was not going to get into it.
Speaker 4: With them, just let them go, And eventually they left before we did, so maybe we scared them off. But yeah, the Yankee fans can be interesting. And have you been to a game there?
Speaker 2: I have not. I've never been to Yankee Stadium. Yeah, it's older. Was just the Medicines Squre Garden a few times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's there's something special about that crowd. And every one says that even the old Yankee Stadium was much worse. But this, this group, even that on that you know, non non consequential night in May was was was ready to go.
Speaker 2: So, Henry, you're from New York in the heart of Manhattan and you're you're quiet, mellow dude. I'll set it up lately. Uh, what's the difference between people in New York and the people you've come across in Tucson? Be honest, be honest. People in New York. I don't know.
Speaker 9: There's both communities are really passionate about certain things. I think people in Tucson can kind of give up easier. I will say that I think it's maybe New York people definitely more feisty.
Speaker 2: That's a wordy and and uh that no from LA to Tucson.
Speaker 10: Yeah, man, I might sound like a Tucson hater, but I promise I love this place. But I mean people from LA just you know, cooler, just more soag I don't know, you know, bigger city, yeah, I love stuff to do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Tucson, Oh yeah, for sure, Nouson Tuson.
Speaker 10: You know you got passionate people, you know, uh, hard working, dedicated people. I guess you know that love their community. So with that being said, that's a plus for them. But I don't know. I've just LA's faster the spot, yeah, true, everything everything's good about La and the people, the food, everything.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I hope you get a job over a lot of people here. All right.
Speaker 4: So Austin is from Connecticut. It's thirty eight, so I will he's got to be. He's kind of the same generation s Fronkowski. I'm just reading a story here from the International Business Times where you know, he says, we quote, we always joke about what we do if a ball came our way, if it's in our area, we're going to go for it. Someone defend, someone knocks the ball, We talk about it. We're willing to do this. So this was like dream come true for him. Probably it was coming right am down the right field line there and there they were, right, So he's with his buddy and they knew.
Speaker 7: They were in trouble. He says, boys, I'm out of here.
Speaker 2: Oh and then oh his brother was there too, apparently but not involved.
Speaker 4: Uh no, but yeah, there were like three of them there. And then Mooky, you know, Mooky afterwards just said it doesn't matter. We lost the game.
Speaker 7: I'm fine with it.
Speaker 2: He's got it wasn't out right, it was out not a home run.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but then they got pummeled, of course.
Speaker 2: So they're gonna win it? Who's gonna win it?
Speaker 5: Who?
Speaker 4: The Dodgers and Yankees still still think the Dodgers. They've got a three to one lead, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no team has ever come back from a three zeroly in the World Series, right, and only four have come back and won in the second game. Yeah, no team's ever forced a game six, right?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: And who do they face? Cole's right, Cole versus Flairty.
Speaker 4: You know that's later today, And yeah, obviously then they'll get a day off if they have to go back to Dodger Stadium and play on Friday and then wrap it up Saturday if there's a game seven. So I think I'm sure TV is hoping for at least one more game after this, right, and because it really hasn't been great. I mean, I'm sure the ratings are good, but you know, the competition and the results haven't been what Fox wants it's wanted to be sure.
Speaker 2: Sure, so you guys were there on who did you guys go to watch basketball game on Monday? You didn't, Henry right now, I don't think Matt did.
Speaker 4: No, Dave watched it on TV because there's probably baseball. There's been some really difficult nights lately of you know, multiple multiple games of baseball and basketball and football all the same time.
Speaker 7: Literally, So that was a I did not I did not go.
Speaker 2: What was your viewing pleasure on that game?
Speaker 4: I think what everybody else has said. You know, they look they look pretty strong. They obviously have the depth, and they've got this, you know, a couple of good young players that are getting a chance to kind of shine right off the bat, like Carter and Uh. I think it's gonna be fun. I think, you know, there's a lot of potential. You know, as we've talked about the times I've been here, we just don't really know what to expect when when they get into the conference. But they've got some you know, good tune up games obviously the Duke game and the Bahamas trip where they're going to be going going up against some better competition. But they definitely have depth, they've got experience. There's it's like one of those there's no excuse type of years. There's nobody. No, we don't have a guard. Well, yeah, they got like six they could play right our center's way. We got like three now, yes, if when Crevius comes back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's a question of they have a Martinez, right who who's pretty good. Whether he gets some time or not. He might get five or six minutes given the situation, but they're that deep. He's the fourth guard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean every it seems like everybody can kind of shuffle into the you know, the shooting guard spot or point guard position. Even Caleb, you know, seems willing to do whatever it takes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, outside of the obvious with Caleb and kJ and Bradley, who who would you think be a star now?
Speaker 4: Well, I guess Bryan's I mean I hope to see him play a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Obviously has the talents. What do you think, uh, Brian. I was very impressed with him, no question. The guy that I wonder how he's gonna do well. Henry. I've always been a Henry guy two years ago before he got the injury last year through fluke injury, injury. I really like how he plays a stretch four, stretch five. We'll see how he plays. But there's a kid tomorrow that's going to be on the press conference with Tommy Delorso. De Yeah, he can shoot it. I mean did you see the shot he had. It was just a simple catch and catch and shoot. Very nice, nice presence, kind of like how Philip would have been last year or was you know, he just didn't play well enough, but just a smooth dude who can and they haven't had that dude in a while.
Speaker 4: But the best part of his game was when he stared down the opponent. Remember that, did you could you say, you know when you were listing, so you know he uh, there was some tussle apparently beforehand and the guy took a shot and Delorso got in his you know, got in his way a little bit and the guy went down and also standing over him looking on looking at him. It's right in front of you of a bench and Tommy's like, oh, don't do that. He took met him up and pulled him out. But it was it was you know, I guess maybe it was a sign of some toughness and uh, you know, just some attitude that maybe we didn't know about him, and you know, he's trying to prove himself too.
Speaker 2: Right, right, we got to go. Is that what you're doing? Henry waving me down. Let's go. We'll talk to Jay and to say.
Speaker 1: Now, your chance to win one thousand dollars just entered this nation wide keyword on our website. Check that's check. Enter it right now, Fox Sports. It's fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 11: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wildside, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 11: Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 6: Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Enterprise so Fasco? YUCKI try.
Speaker 12: The window depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorattle Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Tim we'll call at five to two zero four zero zero for two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 13: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 14: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 7: Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 2: Edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 15: School in a fallse four season are in full stride. Time to get that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps.
Speaker 2: Shorts are long sleeve pollos.
Speaker 15: And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season. For over one thousand fun items to choose froom, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street at.
Speaker 2: Nova Home Loans.
Speaker 16: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven arizon A b k Ninez two nine POT two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lyndrix, syn credit rates and available loan programs of subject to change.
Speaker 5: Don't notice?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 15: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your election, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 2: As one of the leading.
Speaker 15: Card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years of the best in sports cards.
Speaker 2: And trading card games.
Speaker 15: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust showtime cards for their passion.
Speaker 13: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter your credit score.
Speaker 7: You can borrow better with preamde.
Speaker 13: For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 6: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complaining desert pest management special that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth through the twelfth at Casino del Sol. Meet thirty five premier speakers, including NEWA All American Ricky Huntley, Hall of Fame coach, Mike Hendrea, CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference. Once again. That's at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference.
Speaker 1: This is IE on the Ball with Steve Raver on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio WIP just search II on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports Fortune fifty. I'm Steve, You're Dave Silver, Do, Henry, will Us, Matt. Now we have Jay Are you what beach? Are you on today?
Speaker 3: What am I on?
Speaker 7: What beach?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, you know, what's same. We used to always say that, you know, doing the radio show, and he probably still they said, it's not really work. I mean it is, but it isn't. I'm working now and this kind of sucks, but it is what it is. It doesn't suck.
Speaker 7: I'm happy.
Speaker 3: I'm having a great time, but it's work and I'm working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure you're not saying that from the office right now, because they'd hear you.
Speaker 3: No, I'm in my car and I'm hoping they're not listening.
Speaker 2: Dave knows, Dave's been retired. Really what easy, easy stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 4: To not have to necessarily go in every day and do that. So it's it's fun to be here. It's fun to be here.
Speaker 2: So you you were enjoying. We we haven't taught you since the Dodgers did what they did on Game one another three and one, so just let's get some let's get some Dodger talk out here, to get out of the way.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, certainly, you know, going to Game one and witnessing, you know, what happened there and seeing it with my you know, with my son, who's as big a Dodger fan, if not more than I am, you know, experience of a lifetime, right. We both agreed, you know, we had a long, long drive home the next day and talked about it a bunch and both agreed that, you know, we don't think we'll ever have another sports moment as great as that. And I'm talking about even you know, going to a rose bull or whatever. I mean, partly because this was historic from a Major League Baseball standpoint, not just a fan standpoint.
Speaker 5: For us, it was I mean, it's huge, and so being.
Speaker 3: Able to see that just, I don't know, there's other way to describe it. Just an incredible experience to to to be there when that thing happened, and then, you know, and then following up with a couple of wins when the Dodgers on the verge of winning the world carry right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So so you went from this great high, you get in the car, you have to drive maybe six seven hours back and immediately go to see the UA play. No no tailgate, no fun, and then you see that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was awesome. It was so on fun. Actually ended up.
Speaker 3: Getting there a little late.
Speaker 5: It was the middle of the.
Speaker 3: First quarter, but they were already down. They were down three to nothing and it was just before they scored the touchdown to go up ten to nothing. You know, and frankly, Steve and I hate to admit this, we left early.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, we left, yeah, you and everybody.
Speaker 3: I had my well, part of it is we had our grandson with us, and it was his first game, first time in the game, he was starting to get a little restless.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 3: I was not happy it and we didn't leave because they am, though I'm telling you I probably would have left anyway. At thirty one to thirteen, I said, this is awful. I don't want to see this anymore. Yeah, I'm tired, you know, because we drove back and you know, went to the game and I just didn't want to see anymore of what I was seeing anymore. It was very, really frustrating. And I don't leave games. I don't and but.
Speaker 5: This one.
Speaker 3: It was such a listless effort. The crowd was dead, the team was dead, and it was unfun. Well, you're you're guilty of that. I'm guilty of that too, Dave.
Speaker 4: I was there too, and I think I think you know, we were all brought up to stay to the end. We had to stay to the end, no matter what we were recovering and how the game was going.
Speaker 7: That was kind of our thing to do.
Speaker 4: But yeah, now that we're a little bit removed from the business, we have other priorities in our in our lives, and sometimes it doesn't include sticking around all night long to watch that.
Speaker 3: But well, here, here's how I thought of it on that day, at that time, that team was no longer worthy of my attention of.
Speaker 5: Me being there.
Speaker 3: And look, I'm saying this not because I think Brent Brandon should be fired.
Speaker 5: Or a guy you know that that that.
Speaker 3: I don't think the team has got putting everything into it or whatever. It's just that what I was seeing, I felt like they haven't earned my commitment to stay through the whole game because that's how bad they were playing. And it was this is the third game in a row that they were playing like that, and so it's like, Okay, that's all I can get.
Speaker 5: From you, This is all you get from me.
Speaker 2: So that's what you can give to them, your attention, your ticket price, blah blah blah. Imagine imagine how you spent I don't know, five ten thousand dollars for a collective back in whatever and said, what the hell did I do?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, now, let me tell you this.
Speaker 5: I'm still in full support of this football team.
Speaker 3: I really am. I'm in full support of Brent Brandon, I'm full full support of the players. I don't think they quit. I don't think they're not trying none of that. It's just at that time they didn't deserve my attention anymore. And part of it because I was so being tired and was on such a high from the baseball game that I just didn't want.
Speaker 5: To watch that anymore.
Speaker 3: I came home and I said, well, I did come home, and I did watch the rest of the game on TV, But it was just that, you know, I didn't want to be there anymore, and that's why I left. And you know, I was believing it was crowded leaving. The ramps were full of people. You know, we weren't the only ones leaving. And you know what that you know, I hope the team looked at it in a way of you know what, the they deserved, They had the right to do that, and I hope that that's something that.
Speaker 5: Maybe motivates them down the road.
Speaker 3: You got to play better for you to get the fans support that you need.
Speaker 5: They were playing terrible.
Speaker 3: Now they nearly came back. They gave themselves a chance, and that kind of restored some of my beliefs in the team. But this is you know, as we all said, this is highly unexpected that this, Wow, I shouldn't even to have an effected team here and there as on a fan you need this, I'm.
Speaker 7: Gonna right, No, it's true.
Speaker 4: I mean you know it's it's it's entertainment dollars and we're spending money and time to go out. It's like going to a movie. If the movie is not good, to get up and leave me. That's just the way it is. There's no reason there, and we're not obligated to stay.
Speaker 2: Here's the problem Jay talked about that they've lost this way for three three games. They've looked listless, lifeless.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 2: In my view of Jay is that there's some there's gotta be some disconnect between the players and the coaches because they're just not on the same page. Uh. And here's here's my issue.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: I don't see it being fixed anytime soon.
Speaker 5: No, I don't need it. I was reading some stuff this week too, Go ahead.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say I was reading some stuff about yeah with tam Mac and his body language was that? Was that a story that came up at one of the news conferences this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they asked him about that. I guess his family and those friends it's been saying that he looked like it was he was being different, so he made it a point not to be that way anymore.
Speaker 7: Okay, I just I didn't know where that he is.
Speaker 2: I didn't question even came you had seen that too, maybe the first few weeks.
Speaker 3: Sin't you well to me, though, Steve, it's that that's team act.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's good or bad.
Speaker 3: I think his personality is he he comes back to the huddle, he's kind of low key and needy. Then he gets up to the line and he does something, and a lot of times it's something special. So I just think that I don't think it's uh uh necessarily a bad thing. I just think that that's who he is. There's guys like that. I mean, remember, they's just say who was he was an NFL player who was kind of the same that who would go back to the huddle and look like he was hurt and looked like he didn't want to play anymore, and then he'd tear off an eighty yard run, you know. So I just think that he's kind of that guy. I don't have a problem with it as long as he's performing when the time comes to perform, and I don't think he's not performing. I think he's I think the team as a whole is not performing.
Speaker 2: They used to say the same thing about DeAndre Agent. Hey you know DeAndre Aden, but look how that turned out. He was just kind of like he was just playing whatever. You were going to say something before Dave said something though, Yeah, I know you forgot already, You're forgot already. Yeah, No, he was talking about that. I was talking about the listeners and and this how it can because then I don't think it's going to be corrected in the next four weeks. You know, how how can it be when it could have been done three weeks ago?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, well that's well, that's what Oh, that's what I'm gonna say. Was I think I still think this is a thing that can can click right, It can turn on a dime. They can all of a sudden get it. You know other teams have done that. You know that team, that team last year did it right. They you know, we heard going to Kiena said all of a sudden after.
Speaker 5: The us USC game.
Speaker 3: There was this belief now that the thing about that was it happened early enough in the season for them to make it a special season.
Speaker 5: They're beyond that point right now. Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: You know, they're beyond that point right now. And so look, they can still I mean they can still win seven games. Now, a seven and five season based off what's happened so far isn't going to make the fans, you know, particularly happy. But I think that if they can, you know, relop some wins, let's say they let's say they close.
Speaker 5: Out with four wins. Do you feel good about the.
Speaker 3: Season or not. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel yeah, No, I feel better that something happened that clicked and they turned around. And it's quite it's possible. I won't say quite possible because we know what they're Well maybe maybe we all had it wrong at the beginning of the year and we said, Okay, this team on papers can look good and they have all the tools, and do we're just a bunch of fools.
Speaker 3: Well, okid, we just didn't know.
Speaker 2: We just didn't hold that they had to fill Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of guys left, the coaches obviously, the coaching chef is coaching staff has turned over completely.
Speaker 2: So I still believe that's a big issue. For However, it rolls out with the coaching staff and they have to the kids have to buy in. And if they don't buy in, there's that. Okay, we're here. But you know what, I would make a prediction that there's going to be a lot of dudes leaving.
Speaker 7: Dudes doav maybe some coaches getting.
Speaker 18: Well.
Speaker 5: I think if dudes leave, it's.
Speaker 3: A good thing because if dudes are leaving because they don't want to be a part of this, then I'd rather they be gone.
Speaker 2: And I've always said, yeah, you've always said that, Yeah, what, Well, depends who those dudes are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean if if if t Mac doesn't go to the NFL and and Fafita leaves and Monaly and yeah they're not, that's a bigger problem.
Speaker 5: But I think those guys are.
Speaker 3: You know, I would expect that those guys are committed to this, and maybe they're not. I you know, look, has Temac done enough to go to the NFL and be drafted you know where he wants to be drafted and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it's funny because Jay and I said this with you a number of times. I thought, if he had the season that he could have, he'd go down as the best player to ever play here. I'm gonna addit that and change that because that's not the case this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just.
Speaker 3: To me, it's like, you know, get your stuff together this year. Let's see, let's see what you guys are gonna do this year. Finish off this season, do something good.
Speaker 5: And then start talking about what you're going to do next year.
Speaker 4: Because most of the people are ranking him obviously a first round pick. And you know, it's one of those situations too, where the big difference between say, you know, the seventh pick and the twenty fifth pick, right, but I'm sure he's you know, I'm sure he's thinking of leaving. Why why wouldn't you? Yeah, but guaranteed. But you know, this is like this is like the NBA.
Speaker 2: These guys come out of know where, they can jump out of the gym, and the games didn't really count you're ability or your future ability. They buy on the ability of the future, right on the potential. And he's got all that. Yeah, the guy is unbelievable. He's got all that, so he'll he'll be fine. You know, it's hard to feel sorry for the guy. Before we leave, Jake, what are your thoughts on the basketball team? You were there for the last couple of exhibitions, whether you have a chance it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I said, we're sitting up in the corner with you guys, and so it's a it's certainly different different view front there. But you know there's some guys on the press by right, But you always have to hold your thoughts because of who they're playing. I like Trey Townsend. He looks like, you know, he can do something. You know, he can shoot, he rebounds, he looks like a physical dude.
Speaker 5: I like him a lot.
Speaker 3: Carter Bryant, I don't know that we've seen enough of him, but he looks like a guy who can play. You know, I think there's a lot of pieces there. I think there's a lot of pieces there that are.
Speaker 2: They fit. I think they fit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's shit, right.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of options. You don't feel like, Okay, if Caleb Love has a bad shooting day, they're gonna lose. You know.
Speaker 5: I think Jayden.
Speaker 3: Bradley runs the team very well. I like his aggressive this. I know you you kind of harp on him a little bit about his always playing downhill and stuff like that, but I do feel like he's running the team pretty well.
Speaker 19: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's hard to tell.
Speaker 5: But I like what I see so far. I'm wondering about Mo Crevius. What's the deal with them?
Speaker 2: Right, they're probably being cautious. Let me ask you what both guys. Uh, there's the kid that the del Orso kid who you know, he had one shot. He was a catch and shoot guy. I think maybe I don't. I don't know what kind of role or how many minutes he's gonna play. But you've been searching for that shooter for a long time, you know, you know, a long time. I mean Salim Steve Ker. Of course, they haven't really had that guy. I'm not gonna say he's in that category, but he's he's a catch and shoot dude. Just I like him so far.
Speaker 3: I like him so far. That's what And that's what I'm saying. They've got some options that maybe they haven't had so much in the past. Uh, with guys like that. Like I said, Tray Townsend is the guy that we haven't seen in a while. Right, I'm not gonna put him in the category of of a of a Shawn Elliott, but I'm gonna say that he's a He's a tall, physical guy who can shoot from outside.
Speaker 5: Uh, you know that in that So maybe that was a bad.
Speaker 3: Bad you think maybe maybe more of a you know, a Ben Indict Mather and or something like that. But just somebody who's got side who's hard to guard outside and who can and who can you.
Speaker 5: Could do some things out there that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be more like a Ray Ohs or a Judd Buchler. Yeah you know what I'm say.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, mind those are better comparisons.
Speaker 6: Good nigh.
Speaker 4: It looks like he's good defensive players who possibly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, well again an aggressive guy who who went on, we got ten rebounds the other night, so you know he's going to be able to do that as well.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, and get back to whatever you're doing, because I don't want to say. I don't want to say work. You're not working. No, I'm home now, but oh I was winning. Maybe had a baby at the.
Speaker 3: Well, No, he's right here at my grandson. He's hanging out with us.
Speaker 2: They take your grandson to work today. Okay, thanks Jay, All.
Speaker 3: Right, guys, good to talk to you too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, let's take a quick break, come back and talk more about all this stuff. If you're an Arizona man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for newly forty years now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com. Hi, this is formal.
Speaker 20: Whilecat Leman hunting with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 2: Space in your life.
Speaker 20: We off a complete line of caudio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shureroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 21: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career explorations so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 2: Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday. Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender vender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance With the Edmond Markets All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three Selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten tho five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling at home, call Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson. Listen up.
Speaker 22: El Tourty two Son is rolling in on November twenty third, and you won't want to miss it. Dnahair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating the vibrant spirit of our community. Huge thanks to our title sponsor Banner University Medicine and are presenting sponsors Rio Nuevo and TMC Health for making this possible. So are you ready to ride, Grab your bikes and your buddies. Join DNHAC for an unforgettable day at the el Toourty two son. For more info, check out el toour Day two son dot org.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the I says and ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Ying the Ball here on fox Spot fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Dave Silver. We got Henry and met with us today winning the show behind the scenes. Good to talk to Jack, don't it's easier to not disagree with him here he's in the room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, he's such a a good fan too, and smart about it, like you know, he's been around the u of A for years, and it's kind of offended. I guess it sounds like by having to go to the games and and sit.
Speaker 2: Through some of the well you're kind of that guy now, yeah, I mean yeah.
Speaker 7: And then we you know, we we had to stick around.
Speaker 4: We no matter what happened in our you know, with whatever job we were doing at the time, we had to be there till the end.
Speaker 7: And so now it's kind of like, eh, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, right, Well, I stopped writing my callum about it because well, and I probably will return, But I said, how many times can I say this team's horrible?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, hopefully the good thing about football it can switch from week to week drastically and they turn things around. You know, in the next couple of weeks, we won't be talking. We've got to he's got a subject. Hello, you're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 2: Who is this?
Speaker 18: Guys are doing?
Speaker 2: Hey, we're doing. If I hate Gabe, we apologize. I know you try to get in a couple of days ago, but you were calling it the weirdest times because we couldn't get you in. But the thanks for calling back.
Speaker 17: It's far don't worry about Thus what the small.
Speaker 7: Stuff one of my favorite books of all time.
Speaker 17: Yeah, bbs, I suggest to you, if you want to read a good novel or audio novels, reading Moby Dick or The Lost World by Austin Conan Doyle is pretty good. So let's not talk about Wischbrook that you want to read. Let's talk about Arizona. I still believe that during the off season Arizona's athletic Directinese needs to pressure Brent Brennan to change the offensive death coming going into the off season.
Speaker 2: I think that's that hasn't a game, I think, I think, I think you're you're, you're spot on. I don't know if that she needs to do it because maybe he's already determined to do it because what's happened to this point is not working as we all know.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I agree with you. I'm not I'm not a party in regards to firing by Brennan because it's really too soon. But his offensive is inconsistent right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the coaches they know what's going on, and you know, whether it comes from you know, Desiree or his own other people on the staff who can.
Speaker 7: Say, hey, you know, maybe we should do something different.
Speaker 4: I think it's pretty common. It happens a lot, happens even during the season in some cases. We've seen that this year already in some different programs. So whether or not jobs are on the line over the last month or so, who knows. I mean, that could be something that they're they're looking at from you know, managerial standpoint with the athletic director and then maybe sure, you know, everybody gets to talk to the boss at the end of the season, so they'll probably have that sit down as well and discuss, well, what can we do to make things better?
Speaker 3: Ja Jay thought, well, we just yeah, we just had them on.
Speaker 2: We just had him on. He's disappointed like everybody else. You know, he went to the game last week. I didn't stay for the whole thing, you know, which is a surprise because he always does. Uh. But he's like everybody else who spends money and goes to the games and they want better, better game for their money.
Speaker 17: Let me ask you this question. Is this the quickest Yes, it's the quickest.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 17: The point that Arizona basically turn on a coach.
Speaker 2: Yes, I knew you were going to go there. I think it's him, maybe Macvic and then someone because I think they were going to try to be fishing with someone and they said, what the hell, ain't work and we gotta go.
Speaker 17: Someone basically spend all his time at the I mean getting drunk.
Speaker 2: As with that. With that, we gotta go, gab. Thanks, we got another call. I always call. Don't forget the call taking someone online one. Yes, he's attorney. Hey, you're on the air line. The ball who's this this, Brian?
Speaker 19: How's it going?
Speaker 2: Brian? Good to hear from you. What's the word?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: How? How hopeful or pessimistic are you today?
Speaker 19: I'm not I'm not optimistic at all. I mean, it was a fun fourth quarter, you know, but I don't know it was. I stayed for the whole game, and I stayed only for one reason. I didn't want to fight the traffic in the third quarter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, smart man, smart one. Hey, right by the way, you got you got one good quarter and you mentioned it. I didn't even think you this. So over the last sixteen quarters, how many good quarters have you gotten?
Speaker 5: A couple?
Speaker 19: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Yeah?
Speaker 19: I know that for it, I mean, yeah, it was. It was just so. I mean the defense in the second half played great. But one problem too, I think the defense was having they're on the field so darn much, you know. And I know it wasn't hot or anything, but still you get worn out, and you know, the first half it was like three and out, three and out, three and out, you know, or they would make some dumbass mistakes.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what to tell you. I can't even I can't even you know, you know, I mean, I'm kind of realistic about all this stuff and I can't even give you give me if you can give me a positive.
Speaker 19: We only have five more games.
Speaker 2: I don't think you've been serious too. I think you've been serious, Oh I am.
Speaker 19: I mean it's we're not going to a ball game. I mean there's nothing that I've seen where we have shown any type of improvement in what we're doing. I mean, like last year, we started off slow. We got better and better and better, and unfortunately, but unfortunately for one of the players, Uh, that injury turned everything around for the UV under Laura. You know that's right, And we never would have known about Feta. If De Laura is healthy the whole season and we have an average you know, six and six season, we would never know about it. But it just happened that the injury happened, and everything changed from there. And I mean we lost a lot of players. I mean losing losing Coleman as a running back, and losing the defensive line and half of our offensive line. And I think what twenty kids graduated in fifteen went transferred out after Fish left. I mean it's not easy to build a program from that. I mean everybody, of course, had high expectations of what was coming back. But you know, a couple injuries here and there, and we're done in which we are we have no depth. Unfortunately. I hope for next year that Brennan has more time to recruit. We are going to lose, you know, like you said earlier in the show, We're going to lose people and it could be a scary exodus of what we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing. You don't know. It could be and maybe not, but it could very well be.
Speaker 19: Well, it's just the nature of football now, whether it would be Brennan or Fish. People are leaving all these programs all the time. It's not just Arizona, It's going to be everywhere. It's always going to be the grass is greener, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's so much turnover in college football. There's so many programs kind of in the same boat as the U of A. When you look at like Washington and even USC and some of the Florida State, Florida State, some of these teams that were you know, you kind of expect they're going to have winning, winning records and bowl games in their future.
Speaker 7: But I think it's the nature.
Speaker 4: I think we're seeing the transfer portal at play here in the nil situation and players leaving early and going elsewhere, so there's.
Speaker 19: No I also, I think the fans. The fans are fed up with the whole thing. Yeah, okay, if we have a bad team, we have a bad team. But what's bad about it? You know, we don't have the same bad players two three years in a row like before because people didn't transfer out, and now we have to go out and we have to find somebody else's bad players, you know, to get them to come here, and you know, and in this transfer portal, you don't know what you getting. Yeah, And that's the hardest part about all this. And it's hard for the Yuba fans because you turn around, it's it's like, okay, we got a brand new roster every year in all the sports, and it's it's hard to you can't identify with anything that goes on. And that's everywhere, not just this.
Speaker 2: You got into the call. Thanks, Brian continued to thank you guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, program after program, I mean USC and some of these teams that you know, East Carolina, Southern miss they were all supposed to be really good this year and they're right, not who.
Speaker 2: Got a call? You're on the air and I on the ball. Who is this?
Speaker 3: U A fan but not a football fan.
Speaker 18: I was sitting in the fourth row on that on Monday, behind Polomo, right behind the bench, And when I saw in the first half, I noticed they went Steve because you told.
Speaker 3: Me nine scholarships that they give one of the walk ons.
Speaker 18: One because Henry not being there. That meant only eight scholarship player players are playing in two walk on that that emmanual guy who's not very good. He must be a walk on.
Speaker 2: No, No, he's got he's a scholarship guy.
Speaker 18: He's got to be a so the big guy Martinez and both don't have him, Delloso or Martinez, one of them, I probably doesn't doesn't. One of them for sure doesn't have a scholarship.
Speaker 2: No, I think one. I'm not too sure. I thought you're counting. There's nine, maybe ten.
Speaker 18: Waka Walker's better than Emmanuel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Waka has as a transfer from Tennessee. Yeah he's good, he's starting.
Speaker 18: Yeah, he's better than a manual. That number thirty four, who's only six ten, but they list him in seven foot he played.
Speaker 3: He sucks. That's why I think he's a walk on.
Speaker 2: No, he's also going to be a red shirt. He's okay whatever.
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying I sat behind the bench. Five guys had.
Speaker 18: Their jerseys off. That meant two people were walk on because Henry Courses in the street clothes.
Speaker 2: No, you still have with Cress street closs, I mean Crevius.
Speaker 3: I like, I'm a Henry guy too, But you know, and so that two of those guys have to be either a manual or Martinez and Deloso.
Speaker 18: Both both be because they had two red shirts playing. I mean that two walk ons.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know who those walk ons were. I don't I can't remember now between.
Speaker 3: Martinez, No, they're both sitting behind the pad. Five guys with.
Speaker 18: Their jerseys showing, and five guys playing.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't.
Speaker 3: No, there's only eight scholarships playing.
Speaker 2: What's your point that there's only w What are you trying to say?
Speaker 18: Yeah, what I'm trying to say is they were we were good in the first half, because then I left to watch the real game of suns and we played pretty good except for that Emmanual guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's played pretty good.
Speaker 2: He's going to be a red shirt freshman so don't worry about Emmanuel for another year or two.
Speaker 18: I'm not. It's funny because I was watching Brian. He had two they had three fouls on him, but then they took one off for two. But then he made two great offensive plays of steel going down that are dunk. What I noticed about him he is quick.
Speaker 2: Do you do you, Henry? I mean, Howard? Do you have the tickets or what?
Speaker 3: No? My wife works at the Foundation. Oh yeah, you know where Glenn Parker does. And we were sitting in the President's seats, six of them. So we had a couple of friends. Yeah, who wouldn't want to go to that game. So we were right behind five seats behind the bench and I could see everything.
Speaker 18: But I left to go to see the Suns. Oh and I'll make a comment about the World Series, you know, I'm for I'm a West Coast guy, you know, even though it was Bunch Concker. But I definitely want to see the Yankees extended, and I think they will after their performance last night.
Speaker 2: Well thanks thanks for going to the casino Thursday to see us.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we'll see you guys later.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I've sat in those Foundations seats before. What I've sat in the president's seats once. Somehow you have a.
Speaker 2: Good day recruiting people to give money.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we were right across from the visiting bench. It's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wonder if the new president going to have those same seats that Robins had. I want to over the middle one on the one, like right across from the bench.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bench, he's sit in the middle now. Oh yeah, he moved, but for many years he was right he had like those are the Terry frankcnas Those are great seats. I had basketballs in my lap and stuff.
Speaker 7: It was great. Yeah, brunting players jumping right over you.
Speaker 2: You're yeah, you're you're beyond the fan, You're this beyond all that. Sweat on me, Please sweat on hello.
Speaker 4: One of my greatest memories, if we're going to talk memories, is Brian Williams. I think it was against Duke. It was one of those great games. And you know when he was here and then.
Speaker 2: He dove into you, jumped over me.
Speaker 4: I was on press row back in the day when we had to sit on the press show. Was right across the Arizona bench and I'm looking and he's coming right at me. He took like one step and literally jumped over me into the second or third and Luke.
Speaker 2: Says, he's we got about a minute right now, like okay, he Ben Williams is probably the best athlete he'd ever coached here. Of course there was Kenny Loft and there were others, but he was selmost seven foot who could run like a gazelle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was great. I mean he literally jumped like hurdled over all of us. Whoever was a strange dude, but the tech of a player. Yeah, yeah, okay, let's go