Speaker 1: Good Thursday morning, Kentucky, and it is six o four here a Kentucky. This Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty Whas don't forget. Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. And I want to remind folks of a feature that is relatively new, but not brand new. It's the talkback feature. So if you listen to us and you were listening via the iHeart Radio app, you will see that microphone that is there on your device, and if you click that microphone, you will be prompted to allow the app to utilize your microphone on your phone, which I'm assuming people have had to do that before with other apps and whatnot. However, that will give you the ability to interact with us and share your thoughts, your you know, your opinion on whatever it is we're talking about. You know, I always say questions, complaints, compliments, insults, whatever you've got, feel free to send them our way. I said this at the beginning of the show today. I come from a nine plus year run where interaction was was a big part of it, and now now people interact with radio shows in a variety of ways. And this is not at all what I used to do on sports talk, but I do like the thought of people feeling as if they can express and share their thoughts. And that's not to say that everybody who does share some feedback on the talkback feature is going to have it played on the air, but you never know, you do have a good chance of getting your your voice heard if you're going to if you're going to compliment us.
Speaker 2: Hey, Nick love the show, Glad Scott's back. I think the crew's really done a good job.
Speaker 3: Keep up the good work.
Speaker 1: So hopefully you guys can since sarcasm and thank you for that message. Bet We're not just going to play compliments, but I do want to give you just an example of what it was because this, again, it's relatively new, and I want to really I'm gonna probably do it today and tomorrow just really stress that, Hey, it's there if you want to, you want to share your thoughts. I mean, I'm sure when we talk about a lot of things going on here locally, you would have an opinion, you'd have a thought, and we encourage your your you know, your you sharing your opinion and it didn't have to necessarily be about the show specifically, but just about sort of what we're talking about. So again, it's talkback feature if you're listening on the iHeart Radio app on your device. I suppose if you're using iHeart Radio within like your computer, like on a web browser, I would imagine that that feature does not exist there. But man, everybody's on a device nowadays, so again, just know that that is there if you want to, uh, you want to interact with us.
Speaker 4: Very nice and stuff. Appreciate the listener checking in as well. I know Calin Ribeck over Bellaman. She's always great. She always corrects me when I get names. I'm terrible with names sometimes and she sends me a friendly email to say, hey listen, no it wasn't that.
Speaker 2: This is how you see.
Speaker 3: So she's a member of the Correction Police.
Speaker 4: Force exactly, and I appreciate And Joe Jacobino is a proud member in standing.
Speaker 2: When we were together on Saturdays and she still doesn't appreciate your service.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean appreciate this so well.
Speaker 2: I welcome that, dude.
Speaker 3: I love.
Speaker 4: I have zero problems with getting corrected. I mean that that does not because I want to make sure we have it right.
Speaker 1: Well, I used to, I think I used to. I used to yell at John, not yell because I can never yell at me, He's too nice. But whenever I would, I would not realize that I would slip up and say something incorrectly, or just get a specific detail wrong, or just more often.
Speaker 3: Than not, it's it's it's a name.
Speaker 1: It's just not you know, it's saying a name incorrectly or having a name wrong is one of the many things that I that I say that is incorrect, and I want my produc I've always one of my producer to let me know so I can correct myself as quickly as possible, to prevent you know, all all available members of the correction police force from you know, sirens on heading my way let me know, hey, you got this wrong, right, because you know I want to avoid that. And again, I like, I'm gonna make this won't be the This will not be the next mistake I make, the next goof I have. As far as saying something incorrectly, it will not be the last. Sure, it happens often, and it's not as if I'm too sensitive to be told, hey, you got this wrong. I just I try to correct myself as quick as possible to avoid those that just want to let you know, hey, you mean this one specific detail, you got it wrong. Well, thanks for paying attention, and again we appreciate you correcting us. But we make mistakes at times. It happens.
Speaker 4: I've developed some great relationships through folks that started initially by them either calling the station or shooting me an email and saying, Scott, this, this is really, this is what happened here. He kind of got this wrong and I was totally okay. And it goes back to my days of working in retail back in high school and even post high school. And you know, if someone would ask me a question, I had zero problems telling that person I don't know the right answer for you. And I found out that folks are more receptive to that when you admit to them, hey, look, I just don't know and or I screwed that up, or I got that wrong, And that carries me well in my relationship even with my wife. I have zero problems with telling my wife you were right, I was absolutely wrong there. I mean the humility and because I see sometimes not just in radio, but I see it in media, in our business and other avenues and other people where there are some people that just absolutely refuse to admit that they got something wrong, and they will go out of their way to kind of spin it in a way that they weren't wrong. And I find out that that's even that's harder than name.
Speaker 3: It's called being stubborn.
Speaker 4: It is being stubborn, right, and so so when a listener uses something like this and they'll reach out to me, like Kaylen ryback over at Bellerman and it's kind of a running joke now.
Speaker 2: And we talk with each other when we see each other.
Speaker 4: And you know, I just because one it makes me smarter because usually if Kaylen will email me and tell me, hey, so and so's name is pronounced this way, that's awesome because then I make a note of it. In fact, I have a here on my computer with the program I use for sports, I have a running directory of pronunciations and a lot of them.
Speaker 2: A lot of them come from people who.
Speaker 4: Sent me an emailers reached out to me and said, Scott, no, you say it this way or this way.
Speaker 2: So yeah, listeners, I love you. I love that feature.
Speaker 1: I used to be good at names I used to consider myself and look, I don't consider myself great at many things.
Speaker 3: So it's not like I'm just, oh, I'm great at this.
Speaker 1: I used to be really good at remembering names, and now I'm terrible. I don't know what's happened, but I got so it's one of the things. I've lost my fastball as far as my memory, and now I get in my head to where I'm thinking, I know this person's name. Why can't I think of it? What's this blockage going on? So yeah, maybe I need to start taking notes like you can only help. All Right, We've got another sports up day coming up at about fifteen minutes, but I want to get to on the other side. Here is a report coming out from John Rostein, and it is who the Louisville Cardinals are going to be playing this year in the acc SEC Challenge. A couple of familiar faces that Pat Kelsey, well, I don't know how familiar he is with them, but Louisville fans certainly familiar with these two. We'll talk about that next right here at Kentucky and it's morning News on News Radio eight forty whas it is six sixteen here at NewsRadio eight forty whas John jamming.
Speaker 3: He is jamming, That's what he does.
Speaker 2: Hey, he's a rocker, rocking John all right.
Speaker 1: So yesterday it was reported by John Rostein of CBS Sports, who covers college basketball, and I feel like he breaks this every year. He's the one who has the pairings in the annual acc SEC Challenge. So this is not official, but I would say that it is likely going to be official at some point, as this has been the rumored opponent for Louisville and Pat Kelcey in their I guess the third year in this acc SEC Challenge, and it's gonna be Arkansas and the Razorback. So according to Rostein, Louisvill will travel to Fayetteville to take on John Caliperi and Kenny Payne. So that clearly is a big storyline. I could be I could be wrong, but I well, I don't know. I was gonna say, when it comes to the Arkansas side, do you think they they wanted this, this matchup, this pairing, Because I would say, if I had to guess, I would say no. But one I'm just guessing, and two it's not because I'm saying they're scared of Louisville and Pat Kelcey. But the storyline is going to be that Kenny Payne is going to be He's not the head coach, he's an assistant, but.
Speaker 3: He will be.
Speaker 1: You know that Louisville's going to play a program that one is now coached by a coach that was at the rival of Louisville for a long time. And clearly Cali Perry is a big name brand in college basketball and one of the one of the rare remaining sort of figures within college basketball. He's a no name. He's done in a long time, had a lot of success, has been involved in obviously some controversy, but that's been many, many years. So nonetheless, cal Perry's a no name, and he had a lot of success against Louisville and the rivalry. He did a lot of things well at Kentucky, and really he did it throughout until the very end. It just kind of that whole thing had run its course. And obviously when you have upsets against teams like Saint Peter's and Oakland and the NSAA Tournament, that will that will obviously, you know, lead to your fan base realizing this is this is slipping this is not what it once was. So Cal will get a chance to play Louisville once again. And I would just assume, given that the Cal Kenny Payne relationship is as strong as it is no surprise that as soon as Louisville moved on from Kenny Payne, he went right back to being on John Caliperry's bench. But this is going to just bring up the fact that Kenny Payne quite literally had probably the worst tenure that you will ever see at a high major college basketball program. Certainly one of those programs that is in the top tier of the sport. Louisville's not a top five program of all time, but there's somewhere between six and ten, depending on how you want to look at it.
Speaker 2: So, uh, you have you ever seen and you've seen your fair share.
Speaker 4: We went through the Steve Cragthorpe ear with Louisville, Nick, and I was going to ask you this question the other day. Have you ever seen a darker time? I mean, I'm not the Patino thing aside. I'm talking about on the field stuff. A darker time for Louisville sports than during the Kenny Payne era.
Speaker 3: No, as far as the impact.
Speaker 4: No, I mean that's like Steve Kragthorpe And.
Speaker 3: No, there's no comparison, Cooper, there's no comparison. Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: I mean it's crazy to think. And when you and I talked off, I remember my son coming home from Zay. He would drive home from Xavier to watch the Cardinals, despite the fact he had a basketball right outside his front door. But he loves the Cardinals. And we were sitting watching the game one day and he was, this just doesn't feel right. This, I don't know where I'm at. It's like some sort of twilight zone for him. It was weird.
Speaker 1: Still doesn't seem like it really happened, But it did. And that's it's not that people are in disbelief, like they're thinking, no way that really happened.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows it was real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because something you don't forget, especially if you're a fan that has made that emotional investment and you're considered a diehard, as they say. But Pat Kelsey brought us back to life. And I say us because I'm a Louisville fan, but he brought the program back to life. And you're one with a good season that had a lot of a lot of success and a lot of big moments for fans, and when you have that happened that early. Thankfully, not many people are thinking about Kenny Payne.
Speaker 3: Right If there was.
Speaker 1: Truly this big mess and you were still suffering from the lingering effects of having two disastrous years where you won four games and then you won eight, then you'd be thinking Kenny. But he's out of sight, out of mind because we just got lost in the new era and a what a great start it has been for Pat Kelson. So we'll talk a little more about that later on as far as Louisville's non conference schedule, how it's shaping up. But we got another update of traffic and weather coming your way right now on news radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 3: Thank you, John.
Speaker 1: It is Kentucky and his morning news with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas six thirty six.
Speaker 3: Here on a Thursday morning.
Speaker 1: This was in one of John's newscasts yesterday, so I'm a little late on it, but I was reading this morning and I'm so fascinated by this story. I think this is something that you could easily see a movie made out of.
Speaker 3: There is in this story again.
Speaker 1: It got a lot of attention when it initially happened, but the update is is why it's back in the news. But there was a Kentucky man named James Farthing who won one hundred and sixty seven point three million dollars in the power ball jackpot that happened in I believe late April. He ended up deciding to split the prize with his mother, and not long after winning one hundred and sixty seven point three million dollars, he found himself in trouble with the loss. So this guy, he has a criminal record and he was on parole from prior convictions in Kentucky at the time. He's from Georgetown, Kentucky. He's a Kentucky native. But shortly after winning the lottery. I don't know if the trip that he took had something to do with coming into a bunch of money or maybe it was already planned, but regardless, just days after winning the lottery, he was arrested at a Florida resort and he was accused of punching another guest in the face. He kicked a SHARE's deputy in the face during the altercation, leading to a battery charge. So this is someone who had just won one hundred and sixty seven point three million dollars.
Speaker 3: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: I don't know his whole story, his life story by any means, but he had obviously been in trouble with the law again, he was on parole, and then he has you know, so clearly it's a life changing situation for somebody to win one hundred and sixty seven point three million dollars, but within days of becoming a millionaire, he probably hadn't actually become a millionaire just yet. I'm not sure how quickly you get your money, but nonetheless money on the way, and then he gets himself in legal trouble, facing a battery charge that could have put him right back in prison because he violated parole. I mean talk about I mean, bad luck is what a lot of people would say. But think about just the crazy and luck is certainly involved, I would say when it comes to the lottery. But if you, you know, you assault somebody and get arrested, that's not bad luck, that's being a criminal, so you know it. But to have such a day where you can't believe it's real, followed by a few days later the exact same situation, but for the entire an entire, entirely different reason and it being you know, wow, I got myself in trouble and now I could be going away for a long time. So what he's decided to do, he chose to remain in jail where he currently is in Florida, to serve out his sentence rather than pursue a hearing. So what he's done is he's waived his right to a hearing and he requested to complete that sentence with his release expected in August of this year. So he'll he'll serve out and then I don't really know what what what will happen as far as the charge and a potential parole violation. Again, he was on parole in Kentucky and the arrest took place in Florida at a resort.
Speaker 2: But so why would you why would you have liked to stay?
Speaker 4: I don't know, unless he just wants to just get done with the legal drama, because you could hire a decent lawyer at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would. Yeah, I don't know that. That's what I don't understand. My guess would be, and it's just a guess. I have no experience in the criminal justice system. I've never I've never been charged with a crime, and hopefully that never that never changes. But it's to me there's got to be some strategic move on his part to where by serving out and not fighting it may give him a better chance of getting mercy when it comes to some type of parole violation.
Speaker 4: Well, my question is, too, can the Lottery Commission award winnings if you're a convicted criminal service.
Speaker 1: I would say so, Yeah, I still do it, I would say so. I mean maybe I don't know that for certain, but I would say that they probably can. I'm fascinated by the aftermath of those who win the lottery, and it's really sad. I mean, they made an entire show. I think it might have been on I was.
Speaker 2: Just gonna.
Speaker 3: Lottery. What happened to Lottery Winners?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, I don't know what they called it, but yes, that's basically what it was. And I'm pretty sure it's specifically focused on those where they won the lottery and it kind of ruined their life, it did, or they ended up losing their life because of being associated with somebody that tried to take advantage. I mean, I don't play the lottery, therefore I will never win. My wife she plays often, and she's she chooses to play when it becomes impossible to win, because you know, that number gets bigger and bigger and bigger. But yeah, there would be some real I mean, look, if you tell me, is it better to or to not win the lottery, it's better to win it. I would love to win the lottery, but I'm sure there's things that come with it that you really never know or even think about until you're in that position.
Speaker 4: This guy was an auto mechanic, and to your point, one of these specials, he said people would show up at his door in all hours of the night wanting to fix their car, and he heard SOB story after SOB story. And I'm glad you mentioned that show because I watched that too, and I'm like, I don't need to buy a lottery.
Speaker 3: Ticket this week.
Speaker 1: It fascinated me because it just made it seem and again, there's so many people that win the lottery. Therefore, it's not like every situation ends up like that, but there's enough of the bad situations to where I believe they made multiple seasons of a show that just documented how winning the lottery doesn't always work out in the long run for a lot of people. So anyways, you could make a movie out of this story. I really think you could. All right, we've got another update of trafficking weather coming your way right here, right now on news radio eight forty whas six forty six here a Kentucky had his morning news with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas. Something we justus earlier that you're going to continue to hear more about is a potential change to the start time for JCPS school's next school year. And I have two children. My youngest will start in the Bully County Public School system this upcoming school year. He'll be in kindergarten. And my daughter, she's been in the Bully County Public School system for a while now, she'll be in third grade next year, which makes me sad to say, but she's growing up. So I wasn't aware of the current schedule as far as when they start school because I just assume that in Jefferson County, which again shows what I know that middle school all started at this time, elementary all started at this time, high school started at this time, and that's not the case at all, So you have three different start times. Seven thirty am to two ten pm is the early window, and there are many elementary schools that start at that time. There are a handful of middle schools that starts at that time, and a handful of high schools. So that is the biggest window. So the majority is starting its the three tiers. That's the earliest start time seven thirty am to two ten pm.
Speaker 4: Well, then apparently the average school start time in the US is around eight h three am.
Speaker 2: That's what it works out to.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that middle school and high school start no earlier than eight thirty.
Speaker 1: So the second window is the is another mixture of elementary, middle and high school as well as a couple of specialty schools, and that is eight forty to three twenty pm. And then there are a bunch of elementary schools and one specialty school that start at nine to forty and let out at four twenty.
Speaker 3: So if you have had your.
Speaker 1: Kid in one of the schools that is in the early window, or the mid window, or the later window four years now, a potential change could really you know, could really change or routine you know, you may have to find different you know, how you got them to school previously may now be different because you may have you may not be able to because maybe, you know, maybe the start time changes is going to make that much of an impact. So right now they haven't made any definitive decision on this, but certainly something they're looking at. And I know, I'm sure when parents see any any any decision that a JCPS board is considering, uh than than, they're gonna instantly think about, Okay, how does this impact me? What do I need to know? What kind of arrangements do I need to make? Do I need to change anything? Because you know, that's why when it comes to snow days or NTI days or just days where you don't have school at all, I mean, it's nobody's fault. And I see a lot of parents just venting their frustration at the j CPS school system and other school systems on Facebook and just ranting about how it's ridiculous they didn't have school. You know, why did they cancel school? And I don't think it's because they're jealous that kids get a day off school, but it probably impacts.
Speaker 3: Their mourning, their routine. Maybe they've got to burn.
Speaker 1: Pto hours because of school being out, and then they see, wells the school should have been in because my roads were fine, and what I don't think needs to be said, but it actually, well it shouldn't need to be said, but it does. Whatever decision they make on certain days, they're well aware they can't win. There's gonna be people that are upset this school wasn't canceled, or there's gonna be people that are upset that it is. It's a really thankless position to be in that spot making said decisions. So they really can't win, and they are making the decision that is that is best in the best interest of keeping kids safe. So even if it does impact your day, that could be a real pain in the rear end. Trust me, I've been there to whear last minute cancelation to school because of whether you got to you gotta maybe call off work or something like that, and that sucks.
Speaker 3: But like who you blame it.
Speaker 1: They're trying to mean, their job is to make a decision that is best for keeping kids safe, and you know, sometimes they're going to make a decision that the majority think is the wrong decision. And I'm sure they know that going in, but just I don't have anybody that I know. Actually, I do have a couple of friends that work in JCPS, and I feel for them because I feel like a lot of times, anytime I see anybody talking about JCPS, it's just nothing but people bashing. I mean, look, they've left opportunity open for legitimate reasons to be critical, but you know, I just like to believe they're trying their best and there's no perfect way.
Speaker 3: To do it.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got another update of sports coming your way, but first let's get an update on traffic and weather right here on news Radio A forty whas