Speaker 1: And we continue on. Jonas Knox is in today for Rodney at five seventy LA Sports. He's on the line, so let's not keep him waiting. What a treat to welcome on the basketball coach at UCLA, Mick Kronin and Mick, it is good to talk to you.
Speaker 2: How you guys doing. What's up? Fred?
Speaker 1: It's all good, Mick, it's all good, all right. I am just amazed at what has happened in college basketball. And you've basically put together a roster of players that really weren't even around last year. You needed better players, you got better players. You're probably going to be a better team, much better team than you were last year. What has that process been like for you? Just basically turning college basketball into an AAU league.
Speaker 2: Actually we've turned into professional sports. Now. I don't claim to know what's going on in AAU, but you know, our players are all getting paid, so you know, it's really become professional, my friends. So that's uh. And they put in two rules at the same time. That in the NIO rule. At the same time, you can transfer every year, so you know you got free agency. Your whole team, you're literally your whole team can transfer without penalty every year, meaning you can also get a bunch obviously you're going to be able to get a bunch of new transfers every year. So it's just it's really crazy right now. They got to fix it, obviously, but uh, you know, I got to ride the wave, and you got to play the game that's being played, right. You know, you go to poker night at Fred Rogan's if he if he's playing, if he's playing a seven cards stud and the queenes Bay down gets half the pot. That's what you got to play, right.
Speaker 3: The coach we've seen, uh, you know, specifically Chip Kelly, who was there who decided I want to go be an offensive coordinator elsewhere, felt some pressure. We've seen it in football to where it was the stuff out side of coaching that was just too much for a lot of guys to want to deal with and they wanted to just go be a coach again. Like, is this the most difficult part of your job? The having to resell players every year on why they should stay with you and play for you.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I'd say no, absolutely no on that. I think the most difficult part of the job is raising millions of dollars to play pay your players because nobody's doing it for you. I think you got to understand that. You know, one day when they changed all these rules, you wake up and somebody says, hey, by the way, you've got a pretty hard job, but you're getting well paid. But it's year round. Guys can visit unlimited visits. You know, really get about two dead periods. You know, people say what are you doing in the off season, whether you know, practice recruit every day, practice recruit, raise money every day. We wake up one day and they say you got to raise you know, you got to go raise million, you know, four or five, six million so you can have a team. And by the way, you're competing with your athletic department because they're raising money too, because they got to pay their scholarship bill, all the bills for twenty five sports. But you know, so you're you're going to ask the same people for money. It's just ludicrous. I mean, it's just you know, I don't know what else to tell you, guys. So that's the hardest part of it. You know, as far as players, you know, you're at UCLA, you got a track record as a coaching staff. You got a track record as a program. Uh, you know, if you got money, you're gonna be able to get at least a solid team. As far as convincing guys to stay, I don't really believe in that. I would go to the opposite on that if I have to convince you to stay, you should probably leave.
Speaker 3: It is funny you bring that up, because that was one something that Rick Patino brought up last year when you know, they were in the midst of a losing streak, and one of the points heam made was, you know, I'm not making excuses. Love the job, but I've had to spend a lot of time trying to raise money for this program, which was never something that I had to do before. So it is kind of wild just to see in such a short amount of time how the extra responsibility has been kind of added to the plate of things that you guys already had to do as coaches.
Speaker 2: You get no choice, You're not gonna have any money, you get no players, So it is what it is. You got to embrace it. So to your point, you know, I'm not complaining, I'm just answering your questions. So I think I think the you know, the the job is what it is. I mean, you know it's gotten harder for sure, but it's going to change now. It's going to shift it, you know, with what they call the the House Settlement, uh and by it could be as early as this summer to where the ruling on the Yeah, I'm not trying to confuse your listeners, but there's a there's a huge settlement, a couple of billion dollars right that they're going to pay back pay for basically shutting people out of NIL for the last twenty years in the revenue sports for the ninety percent of it. And then they're going to pay the players from the schools. You know, the question is are you still going to pay them through NIL? And that's that's a fifty to fifty depend you know, who knows what's going to happen there, but she's still so now the guys probably going to get double what they're getting right now. So if a basketball team's got a budget four or five six million in NIL, and they'll tackle on what the school's going to pay them as well through their revenue share. So it's it's it's it's wild times, guys. You're trying to like so Basically, what I'm telling you is I don't know in nor does anybody else with my job. Because we all talk, none of us know for sure what the rules are for next year? How about that? Jeez? Yeah?
Speaker 4: How about it?
Speaker 1: Nick Cronin is whether so you talked about you had to go out, Rick Patino had to go out, and everybody's got to go out and raise their own money. So, all right, make how much money does it cost to run a college basketball program and get players?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's it's it's put it down to say this, it's more than four million. How's that? All right?
Speaker 1: So you had to go out number for it. You had to go out and get more than four million. The basketball program had to raise more than four million. Correct, It's just do you have people it working in the basketball program helping you with that?
Speaker 2: Nick? Here's the thing, Fred, if you were a rich a rich donor rich supporter, would you really want to talk to my assistant?
Speaker 4: Fair? That's fair?
Speaker 2: Who you want to talk to? You know, who you want to play golfers, who you want to go who you want to go to dinner with? You know, who you want to meet for a happy hour? You know, you know, let's be honestly, you know, and hey, look it's just the way it is, man, I mean, you know, and it ain't gonna change either, so you got to embrace it. It's uh you know. Now, some places they may just have that all set up and the coach don't have to do much. But you know, I'd say eighty percent of us got to are out there on a NonStop basis trying to come up with ideas. Now, obviously we have our collective, the mental Westwood and the and the you know, there's a board and those guys, uh, they're they're they're donating their time. Our collective is donating. I mean, they're not getting Those guys aren't getting paid, they're not taking a dime. They just love the program, you know. So, uh so the guys on our board, whether it's Ken Gray, were you know, Tyler Rutkin, Jeff Stuttleson, I think Michael Price, you know, those guys, they're trying. But again, if they get if they get a prospect, they Hey, Fred Rogan loves usha basketball. He wants to donate some money. Guess who he wants to go to dinner with? Yeah, you know what I mean, you know, so I mean that's that we're right back to this. It just is what it is. I mean, that was giving you guys a lay of it. I mean, you've got to embrace it, you know. I think the harder part, guys, is what is the free agency every spring? I think you know Justin alluded to it earlier. You know, right now as we sit, I don't know the rules for next year. Are we going to pay players through the school? We're going to pay them to nil? Are we going to do both? And none of us know the definitive answer there. That's number one. Number two is your whole team can transfer in the spring, and it's you know, that's a crazy rule every spring. But yet if I leave in the spring, I think I owe u c l A ten million, right, But you know they if my players leave and some of them are making five hundred thousand or whatever, they're making two hundred thousand, there's no penalty. So at some point, guys, and this is what some of your you know, I don't know how well you follow it. You know your listeners follow it. It needs to just become pro sports where they're they're employees and there's contracts. Right, there's got to be employees, and there's got to be it's got to got to be contracts because what's happened is we're trying to hold on to an old model and we're trying to piece together the new model with the old model where there's NCAA rules on transferring and they keep changing them. You know, it's just you need to just throw the whole thing out the window. There are there's only one rule right now. You can transfer every year. Every other rules out the window. Out the window. Kids, every kid's got an agent. By December fifteenth, kids that aren't happy or aren't getting at what playing time that they want, their agents are going to start calling coaches all over the country talking about the portal for the spring. By December fifth after you play about six or seven games, that'll start happening because the agent's going to take ten percent of what they get that kid into portal, so they want them to transfer. So it's the whole thing that's really crazy.
Speaker 3: Right now, How does it impact your coaching from a coaching standpoint because of the turnover and all the changes, do you have to adjust your expectations for your team as to your chemistry early in the season and how you guys perform.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that would be the hardest part. When you talk turnover that do you have some guys that how many guys do you have returning? Isn't very important. I think if you look okay. If you were to say to me, hey, Mick, what's the most shocking result early season college basketball? You guys may have an opinion on this, but I will tell you without question, if you ask a basketball coach, the answer would be Auburn winning at Houston. Now, I believe the game wasn't on campus, it was at wherever the Rockets played at Toyota Center, but still in the city of Houston. Auburn winning at Houston and shooting fifty four percent from the field would be the most shocking basketball result. Houston's number one in the country and defense. They have I think seven of their first eight players back, but Auburn has eight. They played nine guys in the game, eight seniors. Seven of them had been at Auburn multiple years. Four of the eight seniors are playing their fifth year. So they played nine guys, eight seniors, four of them fifth year seniors. So they're a rare team. Now they better enjoy it because they're all gone, and you know, and they're going to have freshmen transfers and be like the rest of us next year. So it's just, you know, it's a huge advantage. Justin to your question. Sure, you know, if you've got guys that you've coached, that's the problem. It's not and it's going to take everybody time. It's not that. You know, I've got some really good transfers. They haven't played for me yet. They still got bad habits. So even though you're a junior, but if nobody's coached the turnovers and the careless passing and the gambling on defense, if nobody's coached that out of you, it's kind of irrelevant that you're a junior, right you know, Now, if you were a junior here, I've coached that out of you by that time, that you take care of the ball, you're solid on defense and those things, because you've been here, you know, for two and a half years worth of games and practices. So that's definitely the biggest challenge and what I've learned because I you know, this is all new for coaches. Guys come in. They don't necessarily you would think I would. I kind of expected guys that have a little bit better habits. And when I say that, I mean coachable habits, take care of the ball, being solid on defense, knowing how to talk and communicate, basic things that I think that I've had to coach more than I thought I would have to with the with our transfers. But they're working at it, and you know they're older, so I think they'll pick it up quicker than a freshman. MT.
Speaker 4: Cronin is where there's two questions.
Speaker 1: First about that you talk about, you know, you got to coach it out of them to get them to where you need to be. But maybe by time you coach it out of them, they're gone. They're going to another school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, Fred see see exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, so you know you're working. You finally get them to a point where okay, I can play them. But the December day has come, their agent has put them into the portal for next year, and the guy's gone and you.
Speaker 2: Don't even Yeah, very possible with a lot of places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you have a general manager at UCLA that oversees all of this, because there's no way you can be looking at the portal and figuring out what's going on every day.
Speaker 2: Well, so just so you're clear, you got listeners. Two things. One, the portal doesn't open until sometime in March, okay, and they shortened it. It's this year, so sometime in March. My point to you earlier though, was when you get to mid December, behind the scenes, people are recruiting each other's players. Agents, agents are calling around saying, you know, so and so is unhappy, he's going to leave. He's you know, for whatever reason. So that goes, That goes on all season, and it's unhealthy for our game. But nothing's going to stop it. Absolutely nothing's going to stop it. But to your point, if your players keep leaving every year, it's going to be hard to be, hard to build a winning team, really hard to be, you know. And that's for anybody.
Speaker 4: H Do you take a personal when you players leave?
Speaker 2: No, not at all, Not at all. I would say that here we have a saying in recruiting, Okay, this isn't for everybody and your you know, your choices, and this is anybody in life. Your choices are a reflection of you, not me, and who you are. You know, we get the best campus in the world. We got one of the best schools in the world. We get, we get the most championships ever in men's basketball, we get the most drafted players ever in men's basketball. I've only been here five years. I think we've got six guys in the NBA right now. We've already been to the final four or nine and three in the NCAA Tournament. Since my staff's been here. Okay, we've proven We've had one and done guys Maury Peyton Watson, We've had two and done guys. We've developed im Hakez over four years. Like so, if you don't choose us, I think you know it's more of a reflection on you than it is us.
Speaker 5: Coach, How are you better?
Speaker 3: How are you better now as a coach as opposed to when you first started.
Speaker 2: I think you're more analytical as you get older, you make you see the big picture much more, definitely, the big picture, much much more than than than day to day. You know where you're trying to get to. I think I've gotten better where my teams are playing better in the NCAA Tournament. We're getting better later in the year. And that's a definite for me here. Knowing that that's what it's all about at U C l A. And I think, you know, I try to tell younger coaches is and this I guess in general, don't complain. Don't complain because whoever you're complaining to, they might act like they care, but they really don't. I mean they don't. Let's just be honest. I mean they don't. I mean, you know, if your wife comes home complaining, I mean, I know, you have to act like you care for it for the sake of you know, the marriage, but you really don't. You just wanted to stop complaining. I mean, just be honest about it, you know, I mean, come on, I mean, you know, it's just this, don't complain. Nobody cares. Everybody's got problems. And I think I tell in the coaching world, people complain they're not getting enough support, Like people hit me, you know, you don't sell enough tickets or get enough support. Well, you know what, Yeah, I'm at UCLA and four miles from the beach. It's seventy five every day. You know, when the games get big, our people are here. We got you know, it's just this. Well, certain schools, you know, they're you know, they're they're packed early. Well, you know. Yeah, but they got to live there, you know, they gotta. You know, I'm not going to name the names, but I mean something you want to live in some of those places, you know. So you can't have everything right, you can't. You can't. You cannot have everything in every job. So every job has their strengths, every job has their challenges, and you you know, you got to embrace it and know it for what it is. Obviously you can try to work on things and improve things, but coming to work worried about things that don't matter. As you get older, you become a head coach, you better focus on winning. Everything else is ancillary everything you know, which is you know, for me, coaching and fundraising for Aniele.
Speaker 1: Make one final one. Let you go, okay, how are you going to do in the Big ten this year?
Speaker 2: Isn't it's crazy? Fred? Think about you? Just do you ever think you were going to say that? No?
Speaker 4: I never thought. Even when it was happening, I didn't think.
Speaker 2: So it still sounds crazy. They brought me that they I don't know why they gave me something they had like this big ten bag backpacker bag that they gave me. It was sitting on my desk, and I'm just looking at it like because it's still and when I look at it and I read the logo, it's still unusual. So, you know what, I don't really think about the conference the way I used to, you know, I think, because really it's like, you have twenty games. Yeah, so you have three teams in our conference kind of the way I look at it, because you only played three teams twice, USC, Oregon, Washington, everybody else should play once. So what's the difference between them and our Gonzagar, Arizona and North Carolina games. You're gonna play them once, you know, So how you're going to judge? You really want a league with an unbalanced schedule tred. You should see the tie breaker sheet they sent out to try to see the pack the bissy. I can't even say the Big Ten Tournament the tie breaker literally okay, literally, I would say it might have been easier to crack the German codes in World War Two then to figure out this tie breaker, because that's how many ties they're anticipating. And because you know, everybody doesn't, doesn't who played who on the road at home? Who played who? Twice? So I guess I'm My answer is I really don't look at it that way as much as I look at you know, your team's got to just continue to improved, get better so you can win games, get yourself into the tournament where you got a chance to in that tournament in March. So just different times, right, the conferences. It's just it's just different times, and football may have different rules. I don't know what that playoff like, do you get an automatic bid if you win the Big Ten championship? So if you get into that title game and you win it, do you get an automatic berth into the college football playoffs? I don't know. Do you guys know?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: You gotta wait and see that shakes out. I mean the.
Speaker 2: Radio show you things like it's the that's.
Speaker 3: Going on the Big Power for whoever wins the Big Ten is going to get in and then it's just high automatic.
Speaker 2: I'm going to if you win the SEC, you get to that championship game and you win it, do you get an automatic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're in and you're probably and you get.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm just want to see, like we you know, so for us, you know, you only get that automatic bit if you win the you know, you play bad all year when the conference tournament can get in, you know, but in their deal, you got to be one two so you can get to the finals. You know, you can't get into that game. So I don't know fred the long answer, I guess, but it'll be interesting, you know. I think the better answer for the question would be, you know, like playing into big ten the venues. I think it'll be much more challenging playing in front of sold out crowds and all the big ten venues versus you know, the PAC twelve. It was definitely not like that. We probably played only in front of one or two every year in the PAC twelve. As far as tough road environments, we're going to face a lot more tough road environments when when we've been facing in the PAC twelve, I'd say that's the biggest difference. That is going to be tougher than to travel to.
Speaker 4: Me, Maig, thanks for taking time today. It is so good to catch up with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we covered that. I mean you were you were diving deep on the rules, know the rules and basketball so hopfull we get your listeners totally confused.
Speaker 1: That was our goal, That's all we wanted to do so mission accomplish.
Speaker 2: All right, man, you have a have a good one. All the best if I don't talk to your happy holidays as it come up?
Speaker 4: Got it?
Speaker 5: Thanks Mitt, Thanks coach.
Speaker 1: All right, there he goes mc cronin, the basketball coach at UCLA. I love having him on, Justin. I love having it.
Speaker 3: That's just it is just like at some point, like somebody's got to fill me in on the joke here, Like, you know, was it Mark Medinho called me Jonah?
Speaker 6: Vinny called you something at one point?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, somebody called me.
Speaker 4: Jacob called you something.
Speaker 3: Jacob called you Jonas, Yeah, Jonas, which hey listen, which let me tell you something.
Speaker 5: I'm okay with that because that's.
Speaker 3: You know, every day with the in laws, so like yeah, like so I mean Christmas Eve when Tamali's are flying, Like listen, I hear Jonas fifty times like so.
Speaker 5: So like I'm okay with that.
Speaker 3: But like you know how I think we're running out of names, like who's going Jose next?
Speaker 5: Like can we figure out like.
Speaker 3: Like can we start a pool, like what's going to be the next name used? Because now it's justin Jonas and Jonah.
Speaker 5: I'm going with Jason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think somebody did use Jason like Jason was used before, which is you know, it's the same, you know, the same, you know letters, it's just mixed around a little bit. But I'm thinking Jose's the next step in the whole evolution of this.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, Jonas, you do have a brother named Tyrone, so maybe Jalen is in your future. That's true. Jamaal could be, uh could be on the books as well too.
Speaker 3: So it's very you know, it's a little disappointing, but also very entertaining at the same.
Speaker 1: I look at it like this, and and perhaps when you're you're here, I'm going to start letting people know. If we just let whoever came on know that you're actually Amish, then Jonas would work. Agreed, And you know that's my bad. I you and I have disgusted agreed your ancestry. But if we just said he's Amish, it's Jonas, then there would be no questions.
Speaker 5: Agreed. Look, and I'm okay with that.
Speaker 3: Whatever can clear this whole thing up and to where we can get a little bit of respect back on this show.
Speaker 5: I appreciate.
Speaker 1: Do us all a favor, just do us one. No one's asking for the world. We're asking for one thing. Please put on goggles.
Speaker 4: That's next.
Speaker 1: Got thanks to make Cronin love him, one of my favorite people. Broke it all down if you missed it, and he tried to explain what it's like the coach in college basketball today. Check out the podcast. Kevin will put it up the minute we get off the air. It's on education for any fan.
Speaker 3: What a pain in the ass man, Like you can't like your main focus is not are these guys ready to play?
Speaker 5: It's do we have enough money? And you have to go raise that money?
Speaker 3: Like what like to it's the whole And I don't think because you know, people look at it. And he had a you know, the right approach, which was, hey, is what it is. You've got to adapt, like this is the way it goes now. But like that's why I don't fault guys like Chip Kelly for being like f this man, Like I've made a good amount of money. I've had my stint in the NFL. I've had a couple of stints in the NFL. Like this is no longer about the money. I'm still gonna get paid great, but I just want to go do what I what I wanted to do when I got into this in the first place, which was just go coach football or go coach sports, not have to like recruit and be a salesman on the side. Like it's just the whole thing is so strange. But I don't know that coaches get enough credit for having to go through all that and still try and put a product on the court that that people can be happy with.
Speaker 1: Well, you heard what he said. People say, you get paid. You're getting paid, so do the job. But it's it's very different than it used to be. All Right, we're only handle two. So a couple of other things we want to touch on, and we'll talk about AD and the goggles coming up in a bit. But Kevin just got this Paul of Paul Paul George on the podcast p I was talking about how LA fans reacted to him, and he was here in Los Angeles playing for the Sixers, and if you remember, it had been reported that he himself had said that the Clippers are the B team. So he responded on the podcast PE podcast.
Speaker 7: I did not call Clippers the B team. I said it felt like the B team just because of everywhere you go, people in LA say you should be a Laker, you should be a Laker. That wasn't minimized minimizing that wasn't you know, I was a Clipper, Like that's who I chose to play for. Like I wasn't comparing them and saying that they were underneath the Lakers. It was just how LA interprets that or how LA treats players that are in LA, like they think you should be a Laker. They think there's not another team there. So that that was where that comment was from. But they proved me right. They didn't pack out and they and they aren't packing out into it. Don't like that's y'all home, that's youall team. Go and support them, like, go be there every night, Go show that this is who our players are, This is who our team is. Again, I was a free agent. It's not like I asked to get out of a contract or ask to leave. If y'all knew the whole transcript of how it played out, you know they would understand where it came from.
Speaker 4: All right, there you go, Oh what do you think I think?
Speaker 3: Well, first off, you know the idea that anything changed from when he grew up in southern California to now to where the Lakers were the team and the Clippers were sort of secondary. It's always been that way. Everybody's known that. You know, it's not a reflection of success, because the Clippers have pretty much dominated that match up the past several years. But all like, there's also this like when he points to you know, you're still not showing up at games. Okay, well, you were there once and we talked about this yesterday, Fred, when we were there and they were launching into a doma. They were going to have the first regular season game. We were across the street at Hollywood Park Casino, Yes, and we were giving away tickets to that game at a place that we were at because people wanted tickets to the Dodgers in the World Series. Like I don't, like, let's not judge what the fan base is showing up to and the numbers just yet. Like if we want to talk about patients, let's talk about patients, bro Like every like, the same people who are going to Clipper games probably paid a pretty penny to get it into Dodger games. And you can't go to everything all at once. The holidays are around the like there's a lot going on.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Nick Croner just talked about it. The beach is four miles away, Like, there's a lot going on. This idea that we're going to sit here and judge the fan, Well, you're still the B team because you're not showing up to your ven. It's okay, hold on, it's kind of a crowded house right now. People are still reeling off what the Dodgers did. I don't know that we can make a statement on the venue and the fan base this early in the season based on what Paul George had to say.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, and we talked about that yesterday and I thought every point you made was valid.
Speaker 4: But let me toss this in. Let me just lost this in.
Speaker 1: If in fact the Clippers were must watch basketball, must watch, I think that place would be packed.
Speaker 5: Is there a team that's must watch in the NBA?
Speaker 1: Back in the day, the Lakers we must watch. Okay, they were absolutely must watch, And I would say that even in the Lob City era of the Clippers, which was really exciting, it looked like every seat was full of it. Probably wasn't, but I think that's about the close they came to must watch, you had to see them, and Lakers for years we must watch, you had to see them. Now the Lakers have become what the Lakers. The Lakers have become what you never wanted them to be. You don't go to the game as much to see the game as you do to be seen because the Lakers are an event. I'm going to see the Lakers. The Clippers, You're going to see a basketball game. So it's a different field to both of them. And I'm not so sure the Clippers were really ever sold out. And I don't know if into it Dome would be sold out, because I don't think the Clippers really were even if they said they were, they kind of weren't. But I do think if there was, I got to be there and see it, people would be there.
Speaker 4: Then I think.
Speaker 3: Not in the middle of a Dodgers World Series run. Look, I don't think anybody's going to anything at that point. Look when they the game one of the World Series? What was going on in town? Yet you see it usc playing, the Lakers were playing.
Speaker 5: What else was it? Were the Clippers also playing that night?
Speaker 6: There was a few concerts. Yeah, like there was Roosevelt Football game going on, all of it.
Speaker 3: You also had a modern day Saint John Bosco, like all of that was happening in southern California, and all of it took a backseat to the Dodgers. Like, so I just I don't know, and let's just say that all right, year one and the Clippers aren't drawing capacity every game at the end to a dumb like, let's just say that's the case, and it probably will be the case.
Speaker 5: Paul George knew all of this before he signed.
Speaker 3: He said it himself, So why why even make the comment that you know, you know, felt like it was the B team, but you knew that, and it's not like the checks did in cash, like like you were still getting paid. So like this idea that like it's this big revelation that the Clippers are the B team, but everybody's known that, like like we know what the situation is when you go to Sofi State, Like I think people all recognize if you ask him, hey, whose house is that, Oh, that's the Rams place, and the Chargers are along for the It doesn't mean the Chargers aren't a better team. It doesn't mean the Chargers won't go to the playoffs, and the rams won't. It's just sort of a reality where it stands right now. Paul George shouldn't have been surprised by that when he signed. If he grew up here, he knows that.
Speaker 4: Look at it like this.
Speaker 1: So the aborted moment where the Lakers thought they had Chris Paul all right, and then of course the NBA stepped in and said, no, Chris Paul is not coming to the Lakers, and he ended up going to the Clippers. If you remember that. Yeah, So Chris Paul, who was a Laker for let's say twenty minutes then no longer was one, ends up on the Clippers. So Chris Paul goes to Dodger Stadium and the Dodgers acknowledge Chris Paul is there, and they show him in the crowd. Forty thousand people boo boo. Now, if he'd wore the other uniform, forty thousand people would have stood and cheered. It's the same guy, he would just wearing a different uniform and it wasn't even his fault. Forty thousand people booed because he played for the Clippers. If he played for the Lakers, forty thousand people would have cheer and it was just because of the uniforming war. So Paul George knew that when he came here.
Speaker 3: Of course, I mean, like, who doesn't, like you've been here long enough. I grew up in southern California. Who doesn't know that? Like who?
Speaker 2: Like man?
Speaker 3: I can remember when I would go do reports from Staple Center and they would say and most of the games, you know, the great Jeff bigs kind enough to say, Hey, I know you want to get into the business. Here, I'm on later tonight if you could do a couple live call ins for me, and he would send me out the Staples Center. But it was always to a Clippers game. And why do you think that was? Because it was so much easier to get a credential to go to a Clippers game that it was to a Lakers game. In fact, when I went to a Clippers game, I sat what was it, section one oh eighth. The media is just that at Staples Center. I would sit there. Dave mcmanimon was there. That guy would eat popcorn like there was one thousand dollars at the bottom of the bag from the media room.
Speaker 5: I've never seen anything like it.
Speaker 3: He looked like lard ass off stand by me at the pie eating contest. Dave mcmanimon, you do a tremendous job. You could house a bag of popcorn. It was wonderful. But the point is the Clippers were always easier to get into because it was never Team A in town, so to speak.
Speaker 1: Well, if that's how we equate it, let's talk about Team A and the man who won't wear goggles next.
Speaker 4: Jonas Knutsen.
Speaker 1: Today for Rodney, we're almost out of here, but Lakers are back at it. They got a crack at Memphis again. Anthony Davis is going to play, but he said, I'm not wearing goggles unless you make me, unless somebody makes me, I will not wear goggles. Now here's the point. This guy is poked in the eye all the time, Kareem war goggles that were just fine for him. Why would you risk this happening again because it's happened in the past and not just put the goggles on. I understand it's different, but I think you would probably get adjusted to them pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Jonas Well, I mean with eyebrows like that, I mean you got to commend the accuracy from the people that are still able to get to the eye, you know, like I mean, because I mean those are basically rolled up towels on his face.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that was necessary.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just saying, like, if he's got that ability to grow that, why not just use it to your advantage and like, you know, grow them out a little bit more, like you know, create some almost like like those beads when you would go into the dirty video section at the video store. You'd walk through that room, that would be a bead separating you at them, like grow your hair out almost like hair beads in front of your eyes. That way you don't have to use the goggles and you can take advantage of it.
Speaker 1: How about this, If you're thinking about growing them out, why don't you grow them out like those electric awnings that people use.
Speaker 5: Yeah, take the sun out and.
Speaker 1: They can you know, hit the button and they go back, or you roll them out and maybe for games he hits a button and his eyebrows extend.
Speaker 3: That's a great call, Like how long could you grow? Like who's got the longest eyebrows in the world, do you think? I mean, like the type that you could dread you know to where like you know, you could really really, really like, come up with something creative, because I just don't feel like they could grow that long.
Speaker 4: I mean, maybe check Guinness Book of World Records.
Speaker 6: Long Guinnis says there was an eighty one year old man in China whose eyebrows were seven and a half inches long.
Speaker 1: Jesus okay, so that would oh no, that would easily be enough.
Speaker 5: Hold on a second.
Speaker 1: But what you'd have to do is put mustache wax on them, right, to keep them extended.
Speaker 3: To keep them hard. Seven and a half inch long eyebrows?
Speaker 5: Yes, Like, what is he like?
Speaker 3: That's like Chewbacca hanging off your face.
Speaker 5: It was a Shaolin kung fu masters names I don't even like.
Speaker 3: I don't that's like rawley fingers and his mustache. Like that doesn't even make sense. How is it possible? That doesn't make sense? Seven and a half inch long eyebrows?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: Speaking of that, the Guinness Book of World Records, did you guys hear the story about the woman that pumped four hundred gallion, four hundred gallons of breast milk?
Speaker 2: Ye? What?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Did you hear that story? I have not No.
Speaker 1: Four hundred gallons of breast milk and one sitting. No, I'm sure.
Speaker 5: Now that would be something you imagine that. Hey, how do you we've been here since breakfast? Can we go?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But she is the Guinness Book of World Record titleist in volume of breast milk pumped four hundred gallons?
Speaker 5: Did the pump burn out halfway through?
Speaker 3: I like, that's there's no way all of that's getting used though, if I I mean, if I had to guess, like I mean, look, unless you know Tyreek kills a customer like.
Speaker 5: That, that could be I'm just I'm just saying.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying Antonio, Okramarty.
Speaker 3: Listen, he's got a lot of kids. Fred, That's all I'm saying. I'm trying to find a customer in this whole chaos.
Speaker 1: All right, Ronnie, thank you, good job, great job, you know, Fred Jonas, back at it tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Fred. I love your eyebrows.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 4: Justin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're five inches Justin.
Speaker 2: Oh No,