Speaker 1: It's nice size. Dan Ray und Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, my theory tonight, which I'd like to hear your reaction to, is that today there was a sea change in American foreign policy and that the sea change that we have felt today is that basically between the Defense Secretary Pete heg Seth speaking to NATO allies in Europe and President Trump's comments during a couple of events in the last day at the White House has made it pretty clear that he wants to end the hostilities in Ukraine and end them pretty quickly. He made it point. He made the point today that Vladimir Putin has been very cooperative in the release of Mark Fogel, the teacher who was received. I think it's been in prison there seven years long time for nothing. He was caught with medical marijuana for his own use. Not he wasn't. He was, I guess, accused and convicted in a Russian kangaroo court of trafficking and was sentenced at believed to fourteen years. So comments that the President today made about Vladimir Putin that they're going to meet. He intends to go to Moscow Putin unspecified dates. They'll meet at a conference in the Middle East first sort of neutral territory, and then Putin will come to Washington. It's going to be quite a spectacle, that is for sure. But at this point Donald Trump has stepped both feet onto the international stage, not only talking about ending the war at least the hostilities some sort of a ceasefire initially in Ukraine and in short order, but he also has the threat out towards Amas that if they don't release all the Israeli hostages, all hell is going to break loose. Now, you can't make threats like that without following through on those threats. So my argument is that Donald Trump today, after having spent the first three weeks of his second term focusing on domestic issues, is now out on the international stage, is back on the international stage. That's my theory. I'd like to have you joined the conversation. I have a couple of open lines, one at six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty and one at six one, seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. Let me go to Tim and Wilber and Tim. Hey, welcome back, Tim. How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, Dan, how are you doing great?
Speaker 2: I think this is a pretty significant day, at least that's my sense. I wonder if you feel the same way.
Speaker 3: Well, I think, right, the whole thing's a big mess. It's a mess. You're talking about what Japan will do, what China will do, Korea. There's so much going on. I'd love to see peace writer than do something, But I don't know. There's been so much bloodshed and more people are up to more things. Anyhow, I'm very pessimistic about the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, it's funny if you're looking for the end of hostilities in Ukraine. I think that Donald Trump, who does not have the same relationship with Zelinsky that I think Joe Biden had. Joe Biden pretty much gave Zelinsky everything he asked for, not necessarily when he asked for it, but he gave Zolensky enough to keep Ukraine alive. Many people felt that that whole invasion by Russia back in February of twenty twenty two was going to maybe take three or four days. Well it's now I'm about to enter the fourth year. But I don't think it's going to be much of a fourth year. I think that President Trump has decided that the piece that this war has to end uh and it's probably going to end on terms that are more satisfactory to Putin than they are to Zolensky. Matter of fact, today Trump made the comment that Zelensky's poll numbers weren't very good. And I have seen that poll as well that the public in Ukraine was growing weary of the war.
Speaker 3: So yeah, well, people, it's people are funny the whole thing right to me, Right, I'm very pessimistic about the whole thing. I hope, right, and I pray that they can do something to straighten this thing out. This isn't going on for so long. The bloodshed has been horrendous, and I don't know, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Tim, I appreciate it. I think a lot of people see it the way you see it. I really do, particularly people here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tomorrow will be careful to our and it's going to be bad.
Speaker 2: I won't be driving. I'm sleeping in in the morning next him. Good talking you soon, all right, Great talking to you as well. Sixty eight nine nine ten thirty. If you're a Trump fan, the last few weeks, the first three weeks of his administration have been very good, I think for him. Despite the number of judges that have have acceded to the request for temporary injunctions. Apparently the judge in Boston today now is allowing this resignation, this solicitation for REGI resignations to go forward. And I think I read somewhere that there's about seventy five thousand federal employees who have who are willing to submit their resignations. And again that's uh that was held up for a while, but apparently late today the judges has looked at it more closely. And the judge is a good judge, by the way, his name is George O'Toole, a very thoughtful judge. Let's keep rolling. Here're going to go next to Rick and Bill. Rick, Rick, how are you tonight? Welcome?
Speaker 4: Good, how are you doing. I appreciate what Tim just said a moment ago in Wuburn. You know, it has to end, and it shouldn't end. But I think it's a little unfear that's it seems to be very very much on the side of Putin getting everything he wants. You know. It seems to me that it would only be fair if anything taken from Ukraine is given back to Russia and vice versa, except for Crimeia. For Crimea, because I was onto Obama and Crimea was taken what ten years ago or something like that or.
Speaker 2: More twenty fourteen, eleven years ago.
Speaker 4: Fourteen, okay, eleven years ago. Sorry, that was taken, but everything else should be given back. Putin's a bully, but I will agree that it should be that they can't join NATO because, let's face it, they're at the they're at the tail end or the front, or however you want to put it, of a massive piece of land called Russia. They're not separated. They're together. And so you know, it's it's it's like it's like conjoined twins. One of them is trying to get straying or the other.
Speaker 2: You know, let's let's use a different word. That they're not together. They're contiguous. And uh, it's it's like the different.
Speaker 4: Countries, but they're they're together on the same piece of land. It's not like, you know, some of the other Ukraine NATO nations are far away from Russia and separated by that.
Speaker 2: And and and the point you're making is a good one. But Putin is afraid. Uh you know, it's it's he wants a buffer around Russia. Uh. He looks at mother Russia and I mentioned last hour. Then he sees the collapse of the Soviet Union as the worst disaster of the twentieth century. Now that's his I think he's dead wrong, but that's his perspective. And you got to understand when you're negotiating with someone where they're coming from. And I think President Trump does understand that.
Speaker 4: Sure, but it's still it's still a little unfair. I mean, it's the whole NATO thing. Is okay, if they don't join NATO, at least give them their land back and work with them and stop taking them over.
Speaker 2: Well, I agree with you, but but how Okay, Look, so what you're saying is okay, because I think what you're saying is because Russia the next crimea right after the Socio Olympics during President Obama's administration. Uh, that land is now Russia, is what I heard you say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I did. I did. Okay, they take that. But anything that happened from day one February or early March three years ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what about if you're okay, I'm gonna put you in the spot. Now you're negotiating right with Putin, and Putin says, no, we took the Dombas region, which is part of eastern Ukraine, and it is a Russian popular it's a it's an overwhelming, you know, Russian ethnic population that is part of Russia, historically part of Russia, and we want it. And if we don't get it, the war continues. What are you gonna say to him?
Speaker 5: I just.
Speaker 4: All right, let the work. And I don't know how big is how big is Tombas, It's.
Speaker 2: It's it's a pretty it's probably ten percent of Ukraine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I just think Ukraine should get everything. Yeah, I got here.
Speaker 2: You know, if if if Putin said, okay, we'll get out of Dombas and and we've lost a million soldiers and it was all for not I don't think he's gonna say that.
Speaker 4: I really don't know he's not gonna but I'd say the war goes on if we don't get all our territory back except Crimea, and we'll give you.
Speaker 2: When you say, if we don't get.
Speaker 4: All terry now you know from I'm from the standpoint of Ukraine from so now, what.
Speaker 2: About okay, President Zelinsky? What about if President Trump calls you up, President Zelinsky and says you better give back the Donbass region back. If you don't, the war's going to continue, and we are pulling out our support. We're pulling the rug out from underneath your President Zelensky.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the problem.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's just what we're doing. Is we're sort of doing a war game here. That's all you and me, okay.
Speaker 4: I mean, because it's a good war game. Because I can't I have to factor in President Trump and what what the United States is willing to give in terms of supporting the war. It's just an unfortunate thing. It's like, I understand NATO, but just give the land back and stop bullying, and and don't go to NA, don't try to join NATO. Make that off the table.
Speaker 5: That's what I said.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Well that's gonna be a tough one for Zelensky to swallow either, because Lensky always thought that we you know, do you remember when, uh, when when Joe Biden went over there and and got on the train and and and and brought rode into Kiev under the cover of darkness. I mean, that was that had to pump up Zelinsky at that point. I mean literally, President Biden takes his I mean at that point, that train could have been hit by a missile in a New York second, so.
Speaker 4: Of course, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's a change of administrations, and it's a change of foreign policy, simple as that.
Speaker 4: That is, that is true, and I I appreciate how you put it. You're true. That's that's your lawyer and you you have you have, you have a nice understanding of the greater picture. And I'm just focusing on one side.
Speaker 2: You did a great job, you kidd me. You you're you're negotiating in a difficultst of circumstances. That's where Zolenski finds himself right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, enjoyed.
Speaker 3: The call is always rich to me.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, you keep calling this program. I enjoy our conversations.
Speaker 4: Thank you much, thank you, bye bye, a great night.
Speaker 2: But take a quick break coming back on nights side. The only line six one seven, two five four ten thirty. The others are full six one seven up, six one seven two thirty, just filled up. My audience is getting into the topic. I love it. That's what this is all about. We just we try to stay ahead of the curve here on Nightside. Okay, and I think we're gonna what we're talking about tonight is what's likely going to happen in the next few weeks. This is not something that's that that's happening two years from now. It's more likely that this whole situation either is going to wrap up in two months or it's going to get out of control. And my betting is it's going to wrap up. We'll be back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to dan Way Window World.
Speaker 5: Nightside Studios on w BZ Blues Radio's good role.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go to bo in holding Bo Welcome you in Extra Nightside.
Speaker 6: Hello then, and thank you for letting me speak. I'm gonna keep it very simple because I heard all the other listeners and again I'm listening to your program. I love it. There is a thing which nobody is talking about. So two days ago, if not yesterday, the president of Romania, Klaus Johanni, is resigned. Now this this tells me, and I'm pretty familiar with what's happening in there. I just came back from Romania in October. I was like four and a half months. I'm not gonna say what why, So what's happening? This was the last Easter Ropeia leader which was backing up the Leasky unconditioned. So Clausiohanni is the president of Romania was the last I mean Victor Urban. We all know the Hungarian guys hand in hand with put In the Polish guys like you know, these are countries which are bordering Ukraine. Romania is bordered in Ukraine, and Romania has an anti missile shield. And American Romanyia is the biggest or the second Eastern European allied of the United States in Eastern Europe. And now the president resigned, so the last Lensky hist European allies. So this this is gonna happen very fast. So I think the war is gonna stop in a matter less than a month. Let's put it this way.
Speaker 2: That's interesting, Thank you, Bo. Have you ever called before this your first time?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: I called probably two years ago, okay, and about about immigrants coming here. I'm an immigrant here. I came in nineteen ninety five, me and my family. I'm an American citizen now nationalized for you. Yeah, two years ago I called you. And again this is a thing which everybody has to look at. The Romanian presidents which actually lost the elections in favor of a pro American guy.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: Now they have to, you know, go back to the election. It's gonna leave mayasandu Republic of Moldavia, which is another country border in Ukraine. That's the only pro Zelinski country left border in Ukraine. So he's gonna.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you're agreeing with me that these sars are aligning. Let's talk about very quickly because you know this area probably part of the world better than I do. Yes, Foot will keep Crimea, no question about that.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, he's gonna keep Krima. That was the reason. That's a big Russian population populations. Historically, we have to understand Ukraina. It's a country which was kind of artificially. Uh. I don't know how to explain this because people probably the gonna go crazy over this, but it's a it's a it's an artificial country which has territory is taken from Romania, from Republic of Moldavia, from Russia. So it's really a Soviet invention that ukrain gotcha.
Speaker 2: Okay. And and so food will keep the area where he initially invaded Dambas, which is.
Speaker 6: And I'm so sure that they're going to reach a deal and this was all business. There weapons sold in that area by I don't know who, I'm not gonna say it, and it was all business, you know, and bad business for United States in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Well, well, first of all, thank you so much for your call. Please call more often. You obviously have a perspective. The capital is.
Speaker 6: Not the war's accent. I hope people understood that.
Speaker 2: You you you speak very You're English. I don't know any Romanian capital of Romanian buk arrested. I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 6: You got it right. As usually people think it's good up.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, no, no, I've been to boot I've been to Buddha Pesche.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I learned when I was in Buddha Pese that Buddha pest is really two cities, Buddha and Pesche on each side of the Danielle. I did not know that.
Speaker 6: You know more than a lot of people about that part of Europe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but fascinating. We did a tour there back it was in two thy nineteen, in the fall of twenty nineteen. It was the Daniel River. Was a fascinating there you go, fascinating tour and we did get we got to Slovakia but never got never got to Romania. Both pleasure, pleasure to take you so much. Hope we talk again soon. Thanks pleasure, Thank you so much. Thanks, good night. All right, let me get one more in here before the break and it will be joe Inne Waltham. Joeanne, you were next on night side. Let's hear what you gotta say, Joeanne, get you in before the news, go right ahead.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that's fascinating what he was just saying.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was unaware of that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I agree with you. I think it's going to be over soon now that we have a real president. Can you does this man ever sleep? Amazing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely?
Speaker 7: And I just have a little fun thing for you. I was watching the documentary about Thomas Jefferson when he got elected after John Adams. The first thing he did, John Adams had put people in jail for disputing what he was doing. He had them put in jail. As soon as Jefferson got in, he pardoned all of them. He stopped all immigration, he fired all unnecessary government workers, and he bought the Louisiana purchase against Congress's wishes. What does that sound like.
Speaker 2: Well, it sounds like maybe history would like to repeat itself. I'm not sure that we're going to have the Greenland purchase, that's for sure, but I will know. But we're going to reclaim some significant interest in the Panama Canal. And by the way, that is in the national interest of the United States. Would it be nice to have Greenland as a US protectorate, Yeah, sure, but it's not nearly as important to our interests, our region, national interests.
Speaker 7: Well, he's worried about China taking over Greenland. China is everywhere.
Speaker 2: I don't think China has a footprint in Greenland. China has a big footprint all over South America.
Speaker 7: That is oh yeah, but I.
Speaker 2: Think that for China to have a footprint in Greenland, they would have to traverse this country. And I just don't see that that happened. But China does have it does have a big interest in South America and in the Panama Canal. Yeah, which is the problem.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, and they're overcharging us.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the least of the problems. That's the least of the problem. The problem is that if China controls the Panama Canal and they say to our ships, you're not welcome we don't want your money.
Speaker 7: Now, we got a real problem, right right. What do you think of the new press secretary Caroline? I think she's got to be a good job.
Speaker 2: She's very young, she's done a very she's been done a pretty good job. She comes prepared, she does her homework. She were in for Congress, you know, up in Newton, she's in New Hampshire Native uh and she lost. She won, she won the Republican nomination and she lost. A Congressman Pampus was a Democrat up there. But she handles herself very well, and she seems to be very fast and very quick on her feet.
Speaker 7: And she tells it like it is. She doesn't hem and haw and you know, well, you know, we're not sure, you know, she comes right out and tells them what She much.
Speaker 2: Much better than the early press secretaries of the Trump Trump's first administration. And she also controls the one thing that's interesting was she controls the press room there. She she calls on people. No one's jumping and screaming and yelling. There was a lot of that during the first year of the first term of the Trump administration, which did not work in the interest of Donald Trump. I mean, it became almost like watching a WWE wrestling match, and that's not what a press conference is supposed to be. Joey and I got you in before the break, but I'm up against it. Very good, Thanks so much for calling. Call morelfing.
Speaker 7: Okay, thanks goodness, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's the news. We're going to take a break at the bottom of the er. My name is Dan Ray. This is night Side. The only lines that are open. I'm going to save you some problems. Dial six one seven two five four ten thirty six one seven, two five four ten thirty. Is peace about to break out in the Ukraine? I think we're talking a time frame here of a couple of months at the outside. I don't see it going any other way, but we will see your point of view. Very welcome, joined the conversation.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, back to the call as we go. Let me go to Jim in Kansas City. Jim U next one, night Side. Welcome Dan.
Speaker 8: I I got to take you off speakerphone, hold on sections.
Speaker 2: Yeah, never keep us on speakerphone. Go ahead, Jim. If not, I'm gonna I'm gonna move. If you're not ready now.
Speaker 8: It's usually a lot easier than that, but my phone locked me out because Watkins was yelling too loud. Hey, look, if Trump hasn't done it already, he's probably going to tell Zelensky, Look, you've been playing with house money for the last two years, and we're cutting you off. So either you let me negotiate a reasonable deal for you, or Russia is going to take your whole country away from you in about six weeks. So make a decision right now. That's well, he may it may be that blunt.
Speaker 2: I think what he will say is that that we are going to cut back or eliminate military aid. And without the military aid from the US, I think at that point Ukraine is defenseless. I mean, Ukraine could probably hold on if they wanted to, you know dye, you know, a slow destruction, but without our military aid. And I don't know if we have the ability to either pull back military aid that we have sent and given them or to basically deactivate, say if we've provided them some planes, if we're able to basically make those planes so they can't fly. I have no idea what the capacity is, but I think he will use whatever Tulle has in the toolbox to get this thing over with.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, because I mean, here's you gotta hope that Russia doesn't get the idea that we're going to pull the rugoff from unders ALASKI because if Russia gets the feeling that we're going to pull the rugoff from unders Alaska unconditionally, then Russia won't give a reasonable deal.
Speaker 2: Well I know that, but I think at the end of the day, it's going to be up to us to say to Zelenski and when people have to member is the impeachment. One of the impeachments of Donald Trump came out of a phone call that he had made to then President Zelensky shortly after Zelinsky had been elected. So I don't think there's much love lost between Donald Trump and UH and Voldemir Zelensky.
Speaker 8: No, he's been saying all along, every time the guy comes here, he leaves a sixty million dollars. So I think he's gonna you know, I I think that they gotta be careful that Russia doesn't. But I mean, Russia is not stupid. They got to know that the United States is getting sick of of of running, you know, paying for that war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and I think I think again. Then it's pretty clear that the release of this hostage, I'm sure it was not a quid pro quo, but I'm sure it's sort of uh created or seated the atmosphere somewhat, is what I'm trying to say. That it's helped the relationship here between Putin and Trumps, simple as that, Jim, thank you much. All right, don't you soon? Okay, I just gonna keep roll here. I got Theodore in Baltimore. Theodore, thanks for calling in. You're next a night side.
Speaker 5: I'm listening to the conversation, and I'm disgusted by the whole thing. The reason I'm disgusted, first of all, in part I listen to your callers. It's like they worship Donald Trump number one numbers.
Speaker 2: Well, that's not true. That there are callers tonight, Rick from Bill Ricker was very different. There are other other callers. We yeah, and you're and you're you're not a Trump guy, which is which I'm glad you're calling to h to balance it off a little bit. But everyone has their point of view. Theodore, you know that, come on, that's true.
Speaker 5: But saying I'm not a Trump guy. It goes beyond that.
Speaker 2: Uh one, I'm trying to be kind, Theodore, Theodore, give me a break, Give me a break. I'm trying to be kind. I I could say, Look, I know that you detest Ronald I'm not trying Donald Trump here, I'm trying. I'm trying to be nice to every caller. Give you simply a chance to say what your point is. I don't want you to spend part of your time going after my other calls.
Speaker 5: Because the point of view, that's just a small outivation. But I don't detest I'm sure Trump is less than fair in anything. To me, He's a liar, and yet people choose to listen to him. And I detest. I detest lies and untruth and that's his whole program. Now he just turned his back on Zerenski. How are you going to have a negotiation if there's three parties, If two of the parties are one of the parties, is not a negotiation. And Trump got his calling, got his instructions from Putin the first time. Trump's not a really smart guy. He has people work for him. Trump got all his instructions from Putin. As I told you before, when in twenty seventeen, he talked to Putin without an American interpren speaks Russian, and it's going to be a Domino's thing. Dan, put does not going to stop at Ukraine. The Chinese are going to invade Taiwan. And on one basis, with you, uh making a comment about the government, it's a sad thing when people laugh at people getting the jobs destroyed, losing their homes because of the mortgage. And I'm not a profit.
Speaker 2: We've gone from We've gone from your analysis internationally here, which may or may not be right, by the way, Okay, I mean I remember when do you remember when President Obama had a conversation, a private conversation with Medvedev when uh, the mike mike was hot and President Obama said to Medvedev, look, you know, tell Putin, there's not much I can do before the election here, but once the election is over, everything will be okay.
Speaker 5: Remember that, we remember that exactly. But I will say this. I will say this. I will say this on two points number one. And you might think it's hyperbole. The United States as we know it, Dan is basically over the United States. Is I know it as I know what these are unqualified people.
Speaker 2: He's look, let's have look. I don't know. Look, normally we can have kind of a conversation here. The point I'm trying to make is I think that when President Obama was talking to Medvedev in that you know, low voice and microphone picked it up. I don't think there was anything evil afoot there. I think that President Obama was basically expressing to Medvedev a reality that you know, he's standing for re election. He wanted to make sure that that the reelection was was taken care of, that he got re elected. So I didn't I didn't imply to him, Oh he's in the bag for Putin's he's whispering things here. Bottom line is this how long? How long do you think that this slaughter between Russia and Ukraine can go on? It's easy for us because we're not impacted by it directly.
Speaker 5: I understand that it's a war.
Speaker 2: It's a war that has been going on for three years, and it's a proxy war. Would you not agree with me it's a proxy war?
Speaker 5: That I understand that. But one of the signal things I hear on radio stations across the country that they never leave the armed forces. They never leave a man behind. Dan, do you value value loyalty? Do you value loyalty?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 5: And well, if you value loyalty, if you're going to stand with the man, if you're gonna stand with the man, you stand with the man. You don't betray him. And look at look at you're talking about international issues. Look at Taiwan, and now he's about to disengage from Nay two. Who was with us in every war that this country fought, even when the turret did nine one one, they supported us, they opened it on to us. But he's turning against this guys.
Speaker 2: We saved all of those NATO countries, you know as well as I do theatre, because you're a good historian. We saved all of those NATO countries would World War two, all of those countries who rolled over and who were rolled over by Hitler. Eventually, the only guy that stood between Hitler and the world was Churchill. Churchill saved Western civilization.
Speaker 5: You know that.
Speaker 2: And then finally, with reluctance and isolationists, the United States decided to get into the war and only won World War Two. So you know, anyway, you know what, I don't want you to have a heart attack on my show. I want. I love your passion, I really do. But hey, let me ask you this. If let's assume I was a professional boxer and you were my manager, all right, and some night I'm in the ring with some guy who is just nailing me. At some point, even though you're my manager, you might throw the towel in. You're not. You're not. You're basically saying, okay, no, Moss and I think we've I think arguably, how long do we allow Russia to pound Ukraine? I mean we may have reached a point in time where it's time to to settle that down. I mean, you can make that argument. You don't. Maybe Joe Biden should have made that argument a year ago and it would have been more palatable, palatable to you.
Speaker 5: Well, well, I just that's a very good analogy. At the same time, I say this, if you're going to help someone, don't turn your back on them. Do your best. Now they're throwing a towel. There's a good analogy. But on an ending note of a dan without getting into religion, I want to suggest, in reference to this, on the long term rings, get Some Get a book by David Jerramah. He's a pastor that you know, and maybe another source about the end times because when I speak, when people speak about the United States, they got Gog and Magog. That's Russia and China. Other nations are listed in there. People ask where does the United States? The United States is not in that last end time? Profitsy in the book of relations. Maybe I don't think there'll be nothing because looking at how this situation is going, and you can take this from their mouth, play no good non working for former federal employees who's retired, as the Republicans look at people like me, it's going to be a lot of people who are going to rule the day that Donald Trump got elected and they're supporting him, and so the other thing is.
Speaker 2: It's the other thing to Theodore and I got to end the conversation as always, you've gone you very long because you're a good caller. Basically, the Trump administration believes, whether they're right or wrong, that we have too many federal employees. That's their opinion, whether it's right or wrong, and they're giving people an option to resign. Okay, there is that point in time in many people's careers, including yours. In mind, where if an employer said to you, look, things aren't working out. I'm going to keep you if you want to stay, but I'll also be willing to offer you a buyout. Companies do that all the time theater, so it's not unprecedented. And to the best of my knowledge, of these so called seventy five thousand people who have said they're willing to take the buyout, none of them had a gun to their head. It's better to do that than just lay people off of fire people.
Speaker 5: Then you're always talking about retails or Richard, do some research. You'll find that the buyout and the money he's promising them, it's not settled. There's some congressional accent has to be done. So I hope they do get their buyouts.
Speaker 2: Yep. Okay to Theodore, I hate to do this year. I'm way past my break and I'm gonna I'm gonna end up getting hired here.
Speaker 5: First commercials, well, well, this is a point at which I am breathing a little bit better, and I'm gonna go to sleep about knowing that I upset you to the point where you didn't really want to hear me.
Speaker 2: But thank you, you didn't upset me. You didn't upset me. You gave me a good battle. That's all. Thanks Theodo talking all right, good you too, good night. Well take a break, coming right back on nights that I will get Paul and Tom in. I guarantee it. And if you want to call, I'll try to get you in as well.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Night Side Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: They we're gonna get both Tom and Paul in. Tom. We start with you, Tom, go and Tom and Dorchester.
Speaker 3: Hi, Jan, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great.
Speaker 3: Free. In the eighteen forties eighteen Party two, Turkey was a belligerent, so Russia went down and sank all their ships, their warships. France and England joined with Turkey and they fought on Crimea, called the Crimean War of the eighteenth Parties. Finally, after three and a half years, France, England and Turkey left because of the bloodshed. It was like a civil war when you if you got wounded in the leg, they cut your leg off. It was a bloodbath. So the Russia had Crimea and Ukraine was part of Russia. Part of Russia. Now in the nineteen fifties. Nikita Khrushchev made Ukraine an autonomous region, and that's what and they're not gonna Russia is not going to give up by Crimea because no, I.
Speaker 2: Agree with you. I appreciate the history. I appreciate the history. And I don't know why kruse Chef would have given that a. Krushchev was a dictator. What prompted Khrushchef to give up Crimea because that was that was a way in which Russia had access to a warm water port. I'm surprised Khruschef would have given that up voluntarily.
Speaker 3: Nikita Khrushchev was born there. That's why he was born. He is from the Ukraine area. He was born there. That's why he gave them autonomy. That was, yes, good place, right, Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously it's been from from the point of view of Mother Russia or the point of view of the Soviet Union at the time that they they decided in twenty fourteen they wanted it back, and they took it back while President Obama was in office. Yeah, yeah, all right, appreciate the appreciate the history. Thanks Tom, great night, good night. Okay, that was quick. Interesting. Let me go to Paul in Plymouth. Paul, you may wrap the show for us tonight. I co right, hit Paul.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dan, I'll tell you what I think the president is. Uh, he's trying to fulfill his foreign policy agenda of the first administration where he said, wouldn't it be nice if Putin, if we could be friends. So I think that's his long term goal. I don't think he had a chance to do that, you know, with COVID and them, Uh, yeah, you know, kicking him around the whole time. And so I think what he realizes that you don't want to go back to someone like Brezhnev for you know, the hardline communists that are in there. He could probably work with Putin, And I don't think he's he's giving in to him at all. I think, you know, Ben Putin probably realizes Trumps back here, he's the big dog on the block, and we're gonna have to work with this guy and uh, come to an end of this war.
Speaker 2: So that's what well, you know, the thing that's that's funny about this, Paul, historically is that historically it was always the Republicans who really were suspicious of the Russians and the Soviets. So whether it was Richard Nixon who had made you know, his bones as an anti communist, Ronald Reagan who was tried and true anti communist, George Bush form ahead of the CIA. Now Trump comes along, and Trump's a Republican, not always was a Republican, once was a Democrat many and it's been an independent. And he's basically looking forward to, as you say, have better relations with Putin. And Biden was the guy the Democrats back in the day, you know, Ted Kennedy and a lot of the Democrats, they were willing to reach out to Russian to Soviet dictators. Like the world has switched.
Speaker 3: Interesting, right, Well, I'll tell you what I think. You know, as far as as far as Trump goes, he's you know, he comes from a different, different line I suppose of a republic.
Speaker 2: Here's a different breed. He's a different breed of cat. He's a businessman. Let's make a deal. If I can build a building and you know I can make money on it, he's yeah, he's, he's he's he's a businessman. For better or worse. He's Joe Biden never had a job in private sector. You know, a lot of the other presidents have have been people who were just politicians. These the he's the and uh anti politician, I guess would be the way to describe it.
Speaker 1: Oh, no problem.
Speaker 3: He goes and talks to the head man.
Speaker 2: Which yeah, there's no doubt about Hey. Thanks, thanks for the final call, Paul. You played us out. Thanks man, talk to you soon. Good night. Back to our night. Mark Misselbeck will join us as CPA answering all your tax questions beginning at nine oh five, Rob Brooks, great job tonight, Marita, Thank you very much. Back tomorrow night at eight oh five. I'll land as always, all dogs, all cats, pets go to heaven. That's what my pale Charlie Rays, who passed fifteen years ago this very month. That's where all your pets are who had passed. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again, hope see again tomorrow night or nights. I will be on Facebook nice side with Dan Ray in a couple of minutes. I'll see you there. Thanks very much. I have a great Thursday everyone,