Speaker 1: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium until ten thirty tonight right here on AM five seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers embarrassed at home tonight by the Cubs, sixteen to nothing.
Speaker 3: The final score.
Speaker 2: It is the largest shutout loss for the Dodgers since August eighth of nineteen sixty five in Cincinnati, when the Red shut the Dodgers out in sixty five eighteen to nothing. This loss right here, sixteen to nothing, it's the worst home shitout loss in.
Speaker 3: Franchise history for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: And that's why I thought there was a fine line in the eighth and ninth inning when Miguel Rojas was doing the imitations of Landon Nack and Kershaw and you know, I just you're losing eleven twelve runs at home. You're the world champs. To me, that was that was a little bit over the top for my liking. And look, I know it's only one game, and you know tomorrow night the Dodgers will probably come out here and beat the Cubs and win the series two out of three. But still for the people that came here, I mean this might have been the one in only two games that a family of four come out to Dodger Stadium. That's not what they want to see. I didn't hear laughs throughout the entire stadium, you know. I think the only four or five people laughing were a few of the guys in the dugout, in rojas on the mound. I don't believe Austin Barnes was laughing behind the plate, you know. I just I just think, like of Michael Jordan, you know, he always said he had to give his best effort every single night because one kid, one family, that might be the only time they see him, or that might be the first time they saw him. So I'm not going to overreact to that, you know. I'm Miguel rojas Is is a pro, and I mean you got to give him credit for going out there for two innings. He's a he's an infielder, he's not a pitcher. But I just think there's a fine line there and when it comes out and we realized that this was the worst shutout loss in franchise history, that's not something anybody should be smiling about or laughing about. In the dugout, that's just my take eight six, six, nine, eight, seven two five seventy is the phone number outside of the Cubs scoring fourteen runs in the final three innings of the game. It was a close game, and Sazaki was a big reason why. It was a huge step forward for Roki Sazaki tonight, going five innings, allowing just a solo home run to Michael Bush. And you have to give a lot of credit to Andy Pajz for that happening and allowing Sazaki to stay in the game for as long as he did because he was in a bases loaded jam with two outs, and Andy Pie has made a great catch, maybe the best catch he has made in center field. He's played a lot of corner outfield, not a lot of center field in the big leagues, and that was a great catch and that probably saved at least extra bases.
Speaker 3: I know there's some debate.
Speaker 2: Whether or not it would have gone over the wall for a Grand Slam, but nonetheless, that was a huge catch and you have to give Andy Pai has kudos because he's been putting in a lot of work early in the day with Dino Ebol to try to get better in center field, and I know there's been some growing pains, but that's not his natural position, and he's done a better job in the last handful of games, So you have to give Andy Paie has credit for that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I know there's gonna be a lot of talk about the last three innings or just this loss in totality, but for me, the bigger issue here is the Dodger offense, and specifically they're five through nine hitters. Tonight, they were combined one for sixteen on the season and it's only fifteen games. It's only fifteen games, but the Dodgers five through nine hitters through the first fifteen games of the season are hitting one seventy two and they're on base percentage is below three hundred. The reason why I bring that up and why it's so important for this Dodger offense to have at least their seven eight nine hitters getting on base and turning that lineup over for Otani, for Bets, for Freeman, for ta Oscar. If you look back at last year, Miguel Rojas and Gavin Lux did a great job of getting on base somehow, some way and turning that lineup over and having guys on base for Otani and Betts and that led to a fifty to fifty season for Otani. It led to a big year for Mookie and Freddy and ta Oscar. But right now the offense is stalling out. After ta Oscar Hernandez. This blowout loss is gonna come and go. But that's a big problem and we have seen it for fifteen games now. It's got to change if the Dodgers are going to reach the full potential of this offense. Eight six, nine, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones for the first time tonight. Let's go out to San Diego. Gerbilto, I'll say that again, Gilberto, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: How you doing.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I've seen better games, Gilberto. It's a mui malo.
Speaker 5: But tonight, don't be so hard on yourself. Even Stephen Nelson, brig Manday, we're having fun with it at the end. But I know it's a loss, and you mentioned it. It's a long season. But I want to look at the bright side. I love what Barnes is doing with Sasaki. He I mean, he's coming around and it's I mean, I love it. I can see this kids being very good throughout this year and taking and helping us in the post season. I mean, it's incredible. I hope he keeps growing the way we've seen him in the last two games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there might be something there because Sazaki only pitches once a week, and right now it's every Saturday, and you got to give Will Smith some days off. And it seems like Sazaki and Barnes have a good rapport. It felt like tonight, Barnes, and thank you for the phone call. Goodberto, appreciate it. It felt like tonight there was a concerted effort to just pump those fastballs by the Cubs and establish fastball command. Because Sazaki threw a career high eighty one pitches tonight. Over half of them were fastballs, and then he mixed in the liter and also the slider.
Speaker 3: But it's all about the fastball.
Speaker 2: We keep hearing about fastball command, fastball command, and Austin Barnes did not go away from it. He kept on going to that fastball, and that seemed to be a big reason for success for Roki Sazaki. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Ken in Newport Beach. Who is making his Dodger Talk debut, not shockingly after the worst home shutout loss in franchise history.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Ken?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 7: How are you man?
Speaker 3: Oh? Just dandy?
Speaker 7: Yeah, me too. I got some illnesses that are stuck. Put this way, I won't be going golfing and putting. My hands will be shaking. So you made the good points, and the good points is that there's some missing hitting. The Dodgers are now hitting to twenty seven, which is I believe twentieth in.
Speaker 6: The major leagues.
Speaker 7: And the team that's first, which is hitting sixty points higher at two sixty eight or too to eighty eight, is the San Diego Padres. Now, not hitting is one thing, but you've got Mounsie and you've got Pages as among top five leaders in strikeouts. That's a concern. Yes, you got five guys below, but two of them are starting, and that's a big hole. And you pointed it out. And it's a difference between hitting line drivesing and ground balls and striking out all the time. I'm not sure what you can do about that. I don't think it's going to change with Pages, but I would have to think that money is not going to yeah, I can't say his name right ever, Piz Piz. Okay, there you go. I learned something today.
Speaker 3: Again, you'll get better.
Speaker 2: And you know, Joe Davis actually pointed this out on the broadcast last night, and Ryan Brazier of the Cubs actually pointed it out to me that Paz has seen more pitches per played appearance than any other player in baseball. So there's something to that. He has to get on base. It's fine to see a lot of pitches, but if you don't do anything, it really doesn't matter. But at least he's trying to work the count. He's making it a concerted effort. And like I said, it's fifteen games in, but it does have to change because it's not sustainable to have your five through nine hitters hitting a combined one seventy two and getting on base at you know, a two seventy five clip. With all that being said, the Dodgers are still eleven and five, one of the best records in baseball, but there are flaws right now, They're not a perfect team. Let's go out to Phoenix, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hey, Phoenix, were you laughing during the eighth and ninth inning tonight.
Speaker 6: Left it was so bad.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that would have been a good opportunity to check out the new renovations around Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: That's what I told my cousin Tomi.
Speaker 6: Would have been a good idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next time there's a blowout, just have your parents walking around the stadium.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I got a question about Casparius.
Speaker 9: What was going on there?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Ben Casparius has been really good right Phoenix so far this season.
Speaker 3: This is his first bad outing, So.
Speaker 2: I I tend to believe the Cubs had his pitches because we haven't seen swings like that off of Casparius all year. You heard about tipping pitches sometimes that happens, m So, So what'd you do at the game tonight? Have some Dodger dogs some nachos?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I got two Dodger dogs.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Nice way to go, Phoenix, Thanks for the phone call. You know who else was here at the game tonight? And you know it's embarrassing the Dodgers loss sixteen to nothing. When the DT himself, Petros Papadekas was here. I mean, god knows what he might say on Monday. I mean the first game he comes to brings his wife kids. He's got great seats. I don't know what's.
Speaker 3: Gonna happen on Monday.
Speaker 2: Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers get blown out tonight sixteen to nothing to the Cubs. Sunday Night Baseball Tomorrow, Tyler glass Now is going to be on the mound. The sun will be shining, the mound will be very dry and comfortable. So I would imagine glass Now, who obviously would like to forget that start in Philadelphia, is gonna come out here tomorrow night, do his job, set the tone, and probably pitch six scoreless innings or I should say, six strong innings against the Cubs, and hopefully the Dodgers offense gives him an early lead and everybody will be happy with a series win over the Cubs. Also, keep in mind, this is the first time the Dodgers have lost at home since Game two of the NLCS. Remember that day game Sean Menia having the magic right there against the Dodgers against the Mets NLCS Game two. Yeah, that was the last time the Dodgers lost a home game. That was a ten game winning streak that came to a screeching halt. Tonight, let's go out to Pasadena. Fred, You're on Dodger Talk Live from the Stadium. Hi, Fred, what's up?
Speaker 5: Dave?
Speaker 9: Longtime listener, first time caller. I go back to the days of Imcdonald Douglas with you.
Speaker 6: I remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they drinks for you today, Fred, No.
Speaker 9: I stayed dry today, Dave. But I did have a couple of points. I had two points one with Sasaki. I have a very different takeaway than Gid from San Diego. If I were to give Ozaki at great tonight, I'd give him a firm hard see. To me, his pitches didn't exactly zoot conviction tonight. He continually fell behind in count early. He let the number nine hitter Carson Kelly reach base twice with the bases empty and one out on both occasions. I mean, he was a great pie catch away from being pushed again, right, and you know, I feel like we would have seen Layrona come out of the bullpen in relief for Sasaki. How that happened, I think you see is.
Speaker 3: A fair grade. I agree with you.
Speaker 2: Let's have a conversation here, Fred, Yeah, I agree with you. As Sea is a fair grade. But the reason why I was impressed is because a he had a ten pitch first inning and he retired the side in order, first time he had ever done that. And if you remember, his Dodger Stadium debut was disastrous, a forty one pitch first inning, he couldn't even finish the second inning. Tonight he had career highs five innings, eighty one pitches. As the great victim break Jacobs would say, he bent but did not break. You know a lot of nights it's not going to be perfect, Fred, but your defense is there for a reason. Yes, great catch, but also he didn't give in and that showed me growth.
Speaker 6: That's fair.
Speaker 9: That's a fair point. And then my number two point, Dave, my my larger point. It's a point.
Speaker 2: Is that just a way to push me aside and move on to the next thing you want to say?
Speaker 9: No, no, no, that say I have.
Speaker 11: I have way too much respect for you to to do that.
Speaker 3: Yea, No, that's fair.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, I agree with you.
Speaker 8: That's fair.
Speaker 9: My larger point, though, is with the other Dave tonight, Dave Roberts, and I let me preface this by saying, I've been a hard champion for Dave Roberts ever since he test bumped Andy Green, the Foremer Potter's Skipper back in twenty seventeen. And I promise I'm eurotic, mom. But yeah, but but with tonight, I I just you know, in that sixth inning, Casparious didn't look Chris and I just to me, I would firmly brandislass on on Dave Roberts. I'm a little puzzle. That's why he kept Casparius in for the seventh. I had a few observations from that sixth inning alone and made my eyes deceive me. But Casparius's villa looked a bit down to me. Number two. You know, he kept desperately chasing that third out by throwing over the first base to try to get Nico Warner out. It was to me as it's a signal, you know, Dave, like.
Speaker 2: Skip, do you let me just stop you you're kind of going on and on here, Let me just stop. You know, my biggest issue with Benk Casparius was in the sixth inning. You know it It wasn't him throwing the ball well.
Speaker 3: You know what it was.
Speaker 2: It was the pitching made to Justin Turner that drove in that run in the sixth inning, he's talling gas right, and he throws ninety six miles in hour. I just saw it on MLB Network a couple of days ago, and take it for what it's worth. Justin Turner this season has one of the slowest bat speeds in baseball.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's forty years old. It's understandable.
Speaker 2: Why is he throwing him a slider up in the zone at eighty six when he probably if you get it over Justin's hands at ninety six, he's not touching it. So to me, that was the biggest issue I had with Ben Casparius in the sixth inning.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and that's kind of where I you know, to me, bad pitch selection.
Speaker 2: It didn't mean it was a typical example of a pitcher getting bored. Why would he do that just because he's bored he's tired of Justin fouling off fastballs?
Speaker 3: It makes no sense.
Speaker 2: Fred, I got a run right, fair, okay, fair, fair enough?
Speaker 3: Thanks Fred?
Speaker 2: Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Hey, it happens. The seventh inning, happens. But in that sixth I didn't like that pitch to that hitter. It wasn't a good pitch eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Let's take one more phone call before we take a break. Bob in Malibu. You were on hold last night, Bob, so let's get to you.
Speaker 3: What's up.
Speaker 6: Thanks DEVI.
Speaker 10: I appreciate it's always great to talk to you. Man. Obviously, we've seen some better nights out there from the boys. But I'm not gonna throw the towel just yet.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 10: I mean, like you said, some great stuff from Sasaki, great stuff from Paz. Let's stay strong. I mean, it was a rough night, but we'll get back on the horse. Question for you, Dave, is when an opposing team comes in with a former Dodger, like the Cubs have Justin Turner, how much does that information that Justin knows about his former team come into play when facing you know, his old squad.
Speaker 2: Hey, Justin Turner learned from the best Chase Uttley on how to pick up pitchers tipping. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Justin Turner that let the rest of the Cubs and picked up on some thing from Casparius.
Speaker 10: So we're on the same page on that. Then, because I felt the same thing. I felt like Turner's experience obviously as a former Dodger comes into play here when you've got such a blast, you know, sixteen ohero score tonight.
Speaker 3: Oh, without a doubt, Bob.
Speaker 2: You know, he may have only driven in one run in the box score, but there's a very good chance he had six RBIs tonight because of what he may have passed along to his teammates in that dugout.
Speaker 10: Well, that makes sense either way. It was just good to see our old boy JT out there on Dodger field again. So kudos to him. Man. You know, again, a rough knight will put it behind us. But thanks for taking my call tonight, Dave.
Speaker 3: All right, Bob, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Ben Casparius was probably tipping his pitches in some form or fashion that is beyond what I see. But players, I mean, that is a huge part of the game now where they're looking at video, they're looking at certain glove gestures, and you know how they hold the glove, how they hold the ball on sliders, on fastballs, and that's the reality, right. Chase Hutley was one of the best, and justin Turner was with Chase Utley with the Dodgers, and I'm sure Justin is just as good as Chase Utley was for the Dodgers in that department.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the way it goes.
Speaker 2: Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number speaking to Justin Turner. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll share with you what Justin Turner told me yesterday about whether or not this is his last dance. He was our pregame guest. Ryan Brasier, part of the Dog bullpen last year that won the World Series, joined us today. But you'll hear from JT coming up, and also we'll check in with Jose Mota plus more of your phone calls. We have two lines open at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. After the Cubs hand the Dodgers their worst home shut out loss in franchise history tonight, sixteen to nothing, the Lovable Losers beat the Dodgers on a five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five to seventy, LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app This is Dodger Tom with David Bassa the two two.
Speaker 12: Bush takes it in the air left field, drifting back toward the wall. Conford Oh is at the wall. He leaps and this ball is gone. A two strike opposite field home run from Michael Bush that just scraped the wall in left field. The former Dodger has his second home run of the season and the Cubs heaven early won nothing, leave.
Speaker 3: Michael Bush with a big night.
Speaker 2: It could have been bigger if not for Andy pie Has robbing him of what might have been a grand slam in the third inning. Michael Bush, getting the start at first Space tonight for the Cubs, finishes four for six with three RBIs and four runs scored in the Cubs sixteen to nothing route of the Dodgers Tonight. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. Go to AM five seventy lasports dot com use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the very next game.
Speaker 3: Daniels Jewelers owned the Dream eight.
Speaker 2: Six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We'll check in with Jose Moda in ten minutes. We'll get back to your phone calls in a moment. But I want to share with you part of our conversation with Justin Turner yesterday on the pregame show, as he has now accomplished his goal that he had told me about many times over the years that he intended to play until he was forty years old and possibly beyond. So here we are, and here he is with the Cubs, and he believes in this team and that they have a chance to win the NL Central. That's why he signed with them, even though he may not play as much as he would on a team that would have more playing time but maybe not as many wins. So we're all wondering when is JT coming home and whether or not this may be his last dance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: You twisted your neck when I asked you that I'm not pushing you out of the game.
Speaker 4: No, No, I don't think you are. And I want to play as long as I can.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: If oh, here comes JMO and you're in the seats, I'll get up.
Speaker 3: I'll can stand up.
Speaker 6: Don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I want or I've never been one to want like a spotlight shined on me or the accolades. I don't love talking about myself or hearing it. So I'm gonna play this game as long as I can.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 4: If I want to announce a retirement tour and go through all that.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I deserve that.
Speaker 4: I've seen guys, you know, like Miguel Cabert and Albert Poolhols and you know, just absolute icons of the game. They're the ones that deserve that. I don't necessarily know if that's something for me, but it's definitely something I don't want even if it were the case. So I'm just gonna keep going day by day and playing as long as I can, and whenever the time comes, you know, then I'll make that announcement.
Speaker 2: Hey, the Dodger mantra with you and Rich Hill used to be be where your feet are, Stay in the moment. It sounds like you're living the words of the great Rich Hill.
Speaker 3: That is so true.
Speaker 4: And I love Dick Mountain. He's the man, and I think he'd be a great co host for you on Dodger Talk if you're looking for somebody. I don't know how much Dre's doing.
Speaker 3: It anymore, but maybe a rounder you, me and Rich Hill, Oh.
Speaker 4: Man, that would be you would get some great content on that one oh hello.
Speaker 3: Hello. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If we had Justin Turner, Rich Hill, Andre Ethier, me, that would be the new version of the Four Horsemen hosting Dodger Talk. They would be here with me at ten oh a going on ten oh nine at an empty Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: How about that? You think they would go for that?
Speaker 2: I mean Rich would have to move back to h to Luca Lake, Andre Ethier would have to leave it all behind in the desert, and Justin Turner, well, he's a Fullerton guy. He would hang out here. So yeah, that would be an ideal Dodger Talk rounder one night eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, what I took away from that is Justin's not going to make any announcement now. He doesn't want that type of attention. But yeah, this may be his last season and he's hoping to go out on a winning note with the Cubs. Tonight, the Cubs uh went out on a winning note. Beating the Dodgers sixteen to nothing. Justin Turner got the started third base and drove in a run against benk Asparius in the sixth inning. Tonight, let's go out to the phones again, Sassan. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Chavez Ravine.
Speaker 13: How you doing, Sassan, Hey, Dave, I just wanted to call into event about today's game. I was at the game today and it was just a brutal being in the stands and watching everything that transpired.
Speaker 3: How long am I start?
Speaker 13: When I stayed until the sixth inning and then they just did unraveled there and I just.
Speaker 3: That was even before things really got bad.
Speaker 13: Yeah, And I just I don't know, it was hard to Yeah, but it was it was nice to see when Justin Turner came up, you know, the crowd still, you know, remembers.
Speaker 11: All that he did in Dodger Blue and he got a lot of a lot of cheers.
Speaker 13: That was nice getting to see that response from the crowd today.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 13: And I ended up watching the rest of the game on Sports LA and it was just, you know, it was just tough. It was tough seeing seeing them struggle out there, and you know, I think it's I'm glad it's just one game and hopefully it'smorrow. They can regroup and play better.
Speaker 11: But you know, I just I you know they will, you know they will.
Speaker 3: They will regret.
Speaker 2: It's a really good team. It was just one of those states. It's a really good team. I want to get too down about game fifteen, Sosana. It could be worse. You could be a Braves fan right now, and a team that everybody thought was going to be a playoff team has started the season three and ten.
Speaker 3: I mean, it could be a lot worse.
Speaker 2: And with everything we've talked about and some of the flaws the Dodgers have, they have one of the best records in baseball at eleven and five.
Speaker 3: Let's not lose sight of that.
Speaker 7: That's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they're all cylinders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on, so on, cheer up. Yeah, thank you for the phone call. Appreciate it. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. All we're talking about is some of the imperfections of the team so far to begin the year. But it's only fifteen games. Let's not lose sight of the fact that both these teams, the Dodgers and Cubs started the year in Tokyo and have continued to play the season, so you have to take that into account as well. But it comes down to starting pitching. If you get a good start, you're in the game. Tonight, the Dodger offense was non existent, and you have to get Ben Brown some credit for that. Ben Brown was really good with his curveball. He threw ninety five ninety six and he had great spin, a lot of a lot of language on that ball, spinning towards Freddie Freeman and the rest of the crew tonight. So I know, we get caught up and what the Dodgers did or didn't do, but at times you have to give the other teams some as well. And Ben Brown for the Cubs tonight was really good. Eight six, six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. Let's go out to Jose and Bakersfield. You're on Dodger Talk, Hi, Jose.
Speaker 8: Hey, what's up? David A. I'm the different Bakership that listens to you off and on, so but you're back on tonight, Yes I am. I'm more consistent, more consistent. But anyways, David bir for my I got two points two big points to point out. First of all, whether or not Ben Conspiras was tipping his pitches or not, my frustration really was all about why he was left out there for such a long time. It was almost like his as if he was left out there to drive, would you will we did?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: I mean, he was close to getting out of the inning, but he wasn't able to get that third out, so uh. And Dave Roberts is kind of handcuffed because of how much he's had had to use his bullpen, so it's not like Luis Garcia did much better after him.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's true, David, that's true. And my second point is that, hey, I'm glad you brought that up all about you know, the the uh all the goofing around that well not goofing around, but.
Speaker 7: We go roll.
Speaker 3: They were goofing around, yeah around.
Speaker 8: I'm so glad that you brought that up because to me, David, it was almost like like if at that moment they didn't really care about what the fans were feeling and whether they like it or not. Those Dodger fans were very loyal, but there is a funny line, like you mentioned, I'm so glad you brought this brought it up, is that there's a fine line as far as how far you can go when it turns down to you know, you're losing a game, you're down big, and and like you said, you also brought out that, you know, a fat like my family or family of eight. So whenever we go out to watch the Dodgers only twice a year and we spend close, I mean, there's hundreds of dollars that we spend and my family would sure be disappointed if we went out there and they got blown out the way they got They got blown out tonight, and I just that's just something they gotta I don't know think about. You know, that's my point of view, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nick Coletti used to talk about presentation. That wasn't great presentation. This is the Dodgers. It's not the Marlins, you know. You know, so I feel you, Jose and man, you got a family of eight. You guys can't sit together at a Dodger game.
Speaker 8: Well you really quickly. Four of them have moved out recently, but they'll still tag along sometimes.
Speaker 3: But you gotta make two trips.
Speaker 2: You gotta make two trips to get everybody in Jose, I gotta run, but I love it.
Speaker 3: I hope to see the whole family here soon. Okay, let me.
Speaker 5: Know, thank you.
Speaker 8: I sure will, David, thank you to take away call.
Speaker 2: And I'll guarantee the Dodgers don't lose sixteen to nothing that night.
Speaker 3: That you come.
Speaker 2: Eight six, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers shut out by the Cubs tonight, sixteen to nothing, the worst home shutout loss in franchise history for the Dodgers. But it wasn't a landslide from start to finish. The Cubs scored fourteen runs in the last three innings, so it was a close game up until the seventh. All right, let's head out to Jose Moda.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Moda, let's start with the good Roki Sazaki. I know there was some tenuous moments there. He was saved by Andy Pajz, But all in all, what do you make of the start tonight?
Speaker 11: I will say that another step for him in the right direction. He got through five innings. He was saved by the belt and on the pies, But that's all part of being a big league pitcher. You make mistakes and you got defense at a big league level, they can go out there and help you the pitches. He got to eighty one pitches, the pitch, sequencing, the location, the life and everything else, not looking for the strakeout and necessarily, you know, over easing the splitter. To me, all positive things. And I really do feel they like he is even not letting go yet. I think he's still pull on the ball a little bit tentatively at times, a little bit cautious, some three ball counts that were unnecessary. But overall, you've got to give a lot of credit to himself and also to Austin Barnes in the way he conducted him.
Speaker 2: What do you make of the fact that Sazaki and Barnes went heavy and often with the fastball. Is that a trend we're going to see continue.
Speaker 11: That's the only way Sasaki is going to get better as a big league pitcher. We found out with Yamamoto last year, We found out with a Tani when he came with the Angels. You got to use a fastball. You got to be able to put it in good spots and in command is not necessarily controlled. Command is sometimes saying I'm gonna miss inside by four or five inches because I need to sit up.
Speaker 6: The next pitch.
Speaker 11: That's command and not command is when you say I'm gonna miss four and five inches insiding, leave it right over the middle. So he's working on that. The only way to do it is through repetition and everything else. Because he's helt the legs. He drove through very nicely again in his direction towards home plate velocity is going to improve with the season progresses, and also the strikecoals will also improve because it's a matter of him understanding that the extension that he has, the finish that he has with the festivals is gun lent to consistency in the mechanics, consistency in the finish, and obviously because he has such good extension, it'll happen a good step for him.
Speaker 2: Tonight, Jose Mota is joining us after the cub shut out the Dodgers tonight sixteen to nothing. What do you make of the Dodgers five through nine hitters? I mentioned it earlier tonight one for sixteen on the season of Bucks seventy two. Do they shuffle the chairs a little bit or do they just have to be patient.
Speaker 11: I think you got to shuffle a couple of things because if you're looking for ways in which that part of the lineup matches up against bullpens, then there's flexibility. And also in setting up old Tani bets Freeman in taskar, there's no doubt about it. You got to be able to see guys like Oltani has three at bats coming into today with men's scoring position three. That's it all season long.
Speaker 3: And you figures from last year.
Speaker 11: Absolutely right now. He drove one hundred and thirty runs last year because the guys in the bottom, as you had mentioned with Lux and Rojas and company, did a very good job getting a base and setting things up. Then he set things up for the guys following him. But I think you've got to do a little shuffling, a little reexamining us to how the league is approaching you, because it all comes down to me, Dave to maybe you're taking an approach where you're thinking that the leaf's going to stay one way with you. If you have success, they're going to change. You've got to be able to be flexible and adjust and go deeper into the at bats. You know, to go deeper sometimes when it's needed, but also be aggressive on your pitch early in counts and just lit the guy in the mount get into trouble. Certainly there's flexibility there, and I think if you leave with this way it is right now, is not the right way to go about it as of today.
Speaker 2: Well, what are you talking about as far as changes, What can you really change?
Speaker 11: Well, I mean little shuffle here and there. I mean pa is to me, even though he's seen a lot of pitches, what matters to me is that last pitch. Is he being selected with that last pitch if he better off batting eighth and third, batting ninth? And you know, we can talk about taking a lot of pitches, but if your decision making comes down to the very last pitch not making a good one, then so what if you're seeing six pitches per plate appearance, it doesn't matter. But I think you've got to consider more too on who batches will against right is and go back to back lefties. It doesn't matter at this point if that is an issue right now, just find the way in which you can prolong innings and have more guys on base leading off inning, which is one asflet of the values that not done very well with this season so far.
Speaker 2: How about last night, Jose, we saw Miguel Rojason the starting lineup at third base against the lefty. He was on base twice. He was so good him and lux able to turn that lineup over. Would you be opposed to going to a platoon or finding a way to get Rojas in there more often, because you know he's not gonna hit two eighty again this year, but he's gonna find a way to get on base.
Speaker 11: At this point. Whatever provides you a little boost, a change, and even a little challenge to the guy that's supposed to be playing a lot in different positions, then why not. And it's a case of, you know, big leagues about competition. We heard mountagers talk about that all the time. Big league players when they're challenge with competition have actually elevate their game a little bit more. Unless you're a superstar that you know you know what to do. But it's not a bad thing to at least make a couple of changes, little tweaks here and there, just to vary things up and then get back to where you know where you have a very good team that's going to produce regardless of who's playing. But right now I think things in the bottom need to be a little altered, no doubt.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 2: We'll see what Dave Roberts decides to cook up moving forward. We'll see what he has for Colin Ray tomorrow night. Jose, thanks a lot for checking in after such an ugly game here at Dodger Stadium tonight.
Speaker 11: Dave as Mike so she used to say, it only counts for one loss. That's the good thing.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: There's a game tomorrow, Jose, Yes, see you tomorrow. There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with the best tressed man pet Bee and Ingez and the second best dressed man, Luis Cochito Cruz. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to our guy, Ira Craig in Long Beach. It's fitting that you're calling in today, Craig, because Eric Harros has been on the call and we all know about Fabio and his history in the jungle.
Speaker 6: E K is a good friend of mine. Man. I love that guy. He has set me up with tickets for decades, man, and I always appreciate it, okay, but listen, one thing I don't appreciate days is the Dodgers' effort tonight. Man. I mean, you know what, It's one game. But I'll tell you what. Dave Roberts probably isn't real happy with that performance tonight, with guys in the dugout, laughing and all that junk. You know what, how come this guy didn't make somebody wear a pitch in the back.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I would have gone that. What did the Cubs do wrong? I mean, if somebody's gonna wear it in the back, you can get a.
Speaker 6: Little bit of attitude, a little bit of pride and put one in someone's back.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 2: Well, like Barry Bond said on all the Smoke podcasts recently, it's batting practice all day long, from two o'clock all the way to ten o'clock. That's not the game anymore, Craig.
Speaker 6: Hey, you know what, that's That's how I learned the game. I used to pitch, and that's what I would have done. I wouldn't have let those guys be teeing off on you like that.
Speaker 3: You gotta get guys off the mound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if your conspiracy gotta guys off the mound with your ninety six ninety seven. If you feel like you're tipping pitches and they got your pitches, there's other ways to combat here, right.
Speaker 6: Easy to do it, all right? Rolling over in his.
Speaker 2: Grave, Yeah, he would not like a game like tonight, that's for sure. Craig, you're the man, all right, Thanks, Craig, appreciated. Ira Craig legendary sports talk caller goes all the way back to Jim Rome in the Jungle and when Eric Carros used to go in studio with Jim Rome, and Rome gave him the nickname Fabio because of that great hair, and he still got it.
Speaker 3: What can I say?
Speaker 2: By the way, I gave Eric Carros the thrill of his life since nineteen ninety seven going to dinner with me and the crew in Philadelphia, So there you go. Caros has not lived life that way since nineteen ninety seven when him and Piazza were hanging out at Paisanos down there in the South Bay.
Speaker 3: All right, that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, Tyler Glass now will be on the mound looking to bounce back from that.
Speaker 3: Not so great start.
Speaker 2: In Philadelphia, going up against Colin Ray Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at three o'clock with first pitch at four oh five on Sunday Night Baseball. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald, Dwayne still here, Dwayne somewhere.
Speaker 3: Around here, maybe warming up the car.
Speaker 2: Thanks to calling ye back at our Burbank studios, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Once again.
Speaker 2: The final score tonight, flush it down. The Cubs shut out the Dodgers sixteen to nothing. We'll talk to you tomorrow, see you, and then.
Speaker 3: Thank you so ras
Speaker 2: Send it away.