Speaker 1: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you a fist pumper, a woo, a handclapper, a high fiver?
Speaker 3: I kind of like the high five.
Speaker 1: But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino At chumbacasino dot com, choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 4: Noill prisinesses every void for HBLI losty terms, conditions eating plus.
Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we? Just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's you brighten your day, lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 4: Bill prisonesses every void forby by loss each conditions eighty plus.
Speaker 3: Okay, round two. Name something that's not boring, laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 5: Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for Chumbuck Casino.
Speaker 3: Chum.
Speaker 5: That's right, Chumbuckcasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes.
Speaker 3: Chum, Chumbucasino dot com. No process, We're releated by eighty plus trots. Conditions of plus.
Speaker 6: Website retails with the Lucky land Slots you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 7: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 6: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus terms and condition since applying. See website for details.
Speaker 8: Loop Tadian, you are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupanski, gid You Deen.
Speaker 9: On May fifth, Pardon Me On May fifth. Nineteen ninety three, second graders Christopher Byers, Stevie Branch, and Michael Moore disappeared from their West Memphis, Arkansas homes. The following afternoon, their nude, beaten, and bound bodies were discovered in a drainage ditch less than a mile away. After a troublesome confession, three local teenagers, later dubbed the West Memphis Three, where arrested, tried, and convicted in early nineteen ninety four. Jason Baldwin and Jesse miss Kelly received life sentences, while ringleader Damian Eccles went to death row. Three years later, the documentary film Paradise Lost premiered on HBO, and the effect on the viewers was dramatic. Many became skeptical of the verdicts and also felt one of the fathers of the victims was a better suspect. John Mark Byers. In Untying the Knot, author Greg Day tells the true story of John Mark Byers and the about face he made to free them men convicted of the crime, and Day exposes the propaganda campaign used to convince a gullible public that Byers was complicit in the death of his wife and son. Based on court transcripts and hours of personal interviews, Untying the Not explores all the case evidence while interview weaving dialogues and statements. It traces the life of Buyers from his roots in rural Arkansas to his son's murder and the death of his wife to his ultimate imprisonment in nineteen ninety nine. Reveals a man redeemed by prison and whose change of heart changed his life. The book that we're featuring this evening is Untying the Not John Mark Byers and the West Memphis Three, with my special guest journalist and author, Greg Day. Welcome to the program and thank you for agreeing this interview.
Speaker 10: Greg Day, thanks for having me, Dan.
Speaker 9: Thank you very much for joining us here. As I mentioned when we discussed this is a follow up from last week's show sort of a response to that program for the incredible interest that this case had at the time, still over this period of time, sustained by five movies and or documentary films, all the books, all the discussions, and all the still continued interest in Damien Echols, the West Memphis three and all information surrounding it, and still very very controversial and very very captivating for the audience worldwide. So let's get to this right away. Let's tell us what are the circumstances that you came to be involved in this case and especially involved with Mark Byers, John Mark Byers, and this book tell us those circumstances.
Speaker 10: Yeah, unlike a lot of other people who most came through to the case through the documentary films Paradise Lost, I had never heard of the films, and I actually had never heard of the crime. And I was just doing a basic interset Internet walk around to try and find in fact what I was interested in were capital cases, and I came across this case and found that it had a huge repository of evidence that was growing all the time, that was being put online for people's review, and of course their feeling was that the West Memphis three had been wrongly convicted, and I was interested in that as well, so I started picking through the documentations. I eventually saw the two films, and I actually saw the second Paradise Lost film first, and that was my first introduction to John Mark Bers. Anybody who's seen that as their first introduction to John Mark Bers, I mean he was terrified. I mean it was to me anyway. And I joined the message board and started conversing with the people who were running it, who were three of the people who were featured in the second film. They between the second film and these three people, if they don't happen, Damien Apples and his friends were rout in jail.
Speaker 2: They'll never see the light of day, but they.
Speaker 10: Were very were They were activists from southern California. But in any event, I had a friend on that message board who knew Mark Byers and thought that he needed somebody to talk to. So I run a few emails and he were a few back, and then I called them and I had written a lot in different posts on the message boards, and I guess he's thought that that I understood his story and he wanted me to tell it. So that's really and that was in two thousand and five.
Speaker 9: Now you mentioned those three activists, so mention their names because they're very pivotal and reoccurring characters in this story.
Speaker 10: Yeah, to say the least, we used to refer to them as the kgb Uh. It was Kathy Bachen Grove partially and Burke Saws Baccah Ends Sauls were in the film business down California and passially it was a photographer out there and they were all friends. And Kathy Bachhen was doing the artwork for the first Paradise Lost film Possible, it was the second Paradise of Boston, and when she's got to preview the films, she sent along to Burke Salls and knowing that he'd be interested in something like this, and the three of them decided at that point that the last number three were innocent, and they started a website and started putting all sorts of original source documentation that they were going to People were going to the West Memphis Police Department and actually photo copying things and uh copying, transcribing recordings and putting them up on the internet. So, yeah, those those people, uh, they didn't start the filming process because there was already one film out when they came together, but they gave it wings and between Paradise Bus two and the KGB that that's what attracted. They all had contacts, you know, Hollywood type contacts, media people and whatnot. So uh and that second film just, uh, it went off like a like a bomb, mainly in my opinion because of John Mark Byers. He gave them what they didn't have prior to that, and that was an alternate suspect. Because you and I both know that when uh, when when someone's on trial, especially for murder, and uh, they don't really have, you know, a good alibi and there's some evidence against them, their best hope for being exonerated is finding an alternate suspect. And John Mark Buyers set the boat perfectly. He was believable. He was a crazy redneck, uh and he he performed for the cameras better than they could have expected. He and as Maror Lebert also lasted onto him at that time, he became the fact though alternate suspect of choice.
Speaker 9: Well, to be fair though, I mean, of course they need somebody ultimately to be a suspect. If you're going to say that these three are innocent and certainly John Mark Byers cooperated. So please elaborate for audience what you mean by that, because you explain about even the cash incentive, and why would somebody do something like that? Well, and the offer of money is not exorbitan, So tell us the circumstances that they were in and then tell us how and why was he performing like that? What were some other factors in that performance besides being a grieving father, if we were to look at it.
Speaker 10: Well as the beginning in the end, when this this sum of cash not being exorbitant is a relative thing, uh to you and I is probably not exorbitant. But the way a lot of these people were living out there, if you had ever driven through the trailer parks where miss Kelly Baldwin and uh and Eckles came from. And by the way, the trailer park was a step up for Eccles, Uh, you know, it starts to relative to people who were on disability or you know, unemployment, they weren't working, They Mark puzzled drugs and all for relatively small amount of money. He was a jeweler by trade, and he did have a short period of time where he was profitable at that, but it it didn't last. So but you're right in saying that the money was not the big bush. Mark Mark pires is. He's an attention junkie. And when he to give you an example of this, one of the hearings out there, when the berlinger and the filmmakers were following them around, he was just going to person to person, just trying to find the last journalist who had a microphone or a camera on. He wouldn't go home until the last you know, and this was, you know, very shortly after his son's murder. I thought at the time maybe it was cathartic. I don't know, but he was. He was very much. And if you've seen the movies, particularly the second one, the scenes at the braveyard, the burying of the mock rays, there are just these scenes that you can't imagine somebody sitting there like if it was you and there always holding a camera in front of you, you know that you would that you would be able to perform like that. But but you know, but Mark could it. And I know that seems it seems like a little bit trite, but.
Speaker 8: It had.
Speaker 10: It had a lot to do with And then he got angry because once people started accusing him based on his h you know, his appearances. He started getting angry, he was he was drinking and the drugs, and he was, by his own admission, was heavily under the influence, particularly during the second the second film, and that that changes somebody. But I mean, I can't imagine anything, but at least at that point in time later on, when he when he thought he had an alternate suspect and he wanted to join the bandwagon or start the bandwagon, I can see it that at that point, all I see is that he was he for whatever reason, wanted.
Speaker 9: The attention, right, What was it in the film? Because I mean, millions, millions of people, far more people than they're going to read all the books written about this case. Far more people will get their impression of the cases from the films and the documentaries. And so what in the documentary in the second one, other than Mark Buyer's acting crazy because supposedly they're presenting factual information. And what the interesting way you put in the book is that your book is an examination of facts versus opinion. And when there is going to be an opinion rather than the fact, you're going to speculate that. So we're going to go through that for the people that that's what they're really really looking for, and that's what you really provide in this book as well. So let's talk about what the film, if anything, they did in that second film to say supported their claim and this very big claim that not only was the West Memphis Three innocent, but in fact John Mark Byers. What was the evidence that they presented in that film.
Speaker 10: Well, I didn't really think they presented very much evidence at all, and so much of it circled back to Mark Buyer's personality. There's Baldwin's defense team is together in one scene and a guy named James or Azakat is talking about how you know, Mark was the kind of guy who he was big enough to have carried the three bodies, He had the motive, he was a jeweler, he had the skill to do the the hammutation of the tea, yeah right, and which it was never really proven. But in any event, there were circumstantial things like that that they were already pointing towards him. I didn't see any real evidence in either one of those films. The first real evidence I saw came when Damian Echols had enough money to hire a very high powered defense team, forensic experts, FBI profilers and start finding and even then the evidence was thinned that they found something in the movie, I don't think they presented anything more than circumstantial. They have, of course, went to the things that everybody goes to, the Miss Kelly confession, and Joe and Bruce managed to. They would segue these scenes with these little tech screens that would help the viewer hear what he was about to see, and they would say things like Jesse ms Kelly was interrogated for twelve hours before confession. Now I went through that again before I got on the air to find out an exact timeline, because Miss Kelly actually gave four different confessions, one pre conviction to three post conviction, and he had only been at the police station about three and a half hours before he first filled the beans. They kept him there for twelve hours, but he went in around eleven o'clock in the morning and by twelve thirty or two thirty, I mean, after failing a polygraph and they said, well, he only had an IQ seventy, so that's why he cracked. I go, yeah, okay, but anytime miss Kenny tried to to remove himself from the situation. To me, it made him closer to the situation, like by saying that he chased after Michael Moore during the murders and brought him back and then he left. So what he was saying in his idiot's mind was that, you know, all I do was bring him back and then I left. And he said several times during the confession, and then I left, okay, and then it was then I left. His confession was was in my a strong piece of evidence against him, and they tried to prevent it as its sculptory evidence. So I honestly can't think of things they came that they came up. Well, let me let me correct that. They also found blood in what became known as the John Mark Byers knife, and it was a knife that Mark had given to a crew member of the filming team, and they had noticed there was some material and it looked like blood, and they had test and found out that it was consistent with Mark's blood and Christopher's blood, which was kind of curious because Christopher was an adoptive son. He was in a biological son. But they tried to question him on the stand to get him, you know, the defense, to get him to somehow a trip up, and he was very confused, and you could tell that he was drugged. Everybody at the trial was drugged all the at least on the victim's parents team. They were on valume. And this is from I'm getting this from them, not from anyone else, but Mark was If Mark appeared confused on his an end, he probably was. But they couldn't get a straight answer out of him about where that blood came from. And that was probably the strongest piece of evidence that they had, because when he got off the stand, I think a lot of people in the jury weren't quite sure of what to make of him. He didn't, he didn't, he didn't clear himself. But in the end, it just didn't. They couldn't match any of the eyes they had, they had two guys, and they couldn't match him with the wounds. So and in fact, those myphoones would be the subject of questions for another fifteen years to this day. The new defense team thinks they are turtle lights.
Speaker 9: Well let's get to that. And you do talk about this because last week's guests, William Ramsey, really I posed a question to him, and I really asked it, like, do you really believe that a guy like Johnny Depp really believes in every tenet of Alistair Crowley? In that he belie he's in human sacrifice? I said, I can't believe. Do you really believe he could believe in human sacrifice, let alone animal sacrifice? He's probably a vegan, I says, for God's sakes, you know. And he still said no. I think he's a fellow traveler of Alistair Crowley. And so that's where he is, you know, and that's what he firmly, he firmly believes. But in your book, you well, you have a more objective tone, we'll say the least, talk about who was really the instrumental people and the admirable job that they did do in once they believed in the cause. Tell us about that, because it's a fascinating true story of Hollywood, not just making some noise or some rock stars behind the car. I mean, they've been again admirable in other causes like live Aid and farm Aid and some admirable things. But again, this is something very very very big. If their convictions on these people's innocence is true, they did a very very impressive and profound thing. Really here, So tell us about the effort by and who those people were to get these people this new evidence.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you're right, this was practically unprecedented. I think the only thing that ever surprised me more was either O. J. Simpson being acquitted or Casey Anthony being quitted. But the way they did it was nothing compared to the West Memphis theory. This case was singular they because the first thing that came out was a book by a couple of Arkansas journalists. But a Blood of Innocents was made of the book, and it was just a pretty straightforward count of the case, and I didn't get a whole lot of attention. And it wasn't until Paradise Loss came along, and with the first film they were getting some lower level people like Michael Grade from the Misfits, Margaret cho I think even back then they might have gotten Eddie better involved. And as Echol's wife points out, they would not be where they are.
Speaker 2: If it wasn't for Eddiebody, Eddie Betterer.
Speaker 10: He did more than anybody, except to say that Johnny Depp, who was supposedly according to Joe I spoke with Joe. He said, well, you know that has been calling for years. Every year he calls me and asked me to stay to the case. You know, those bets still in prison. And so so allegedly Depp was was very was very disturbed by it. And when it got to the point where they raised a certain amount of money, and I'll say that at that point, the most important person, the key person, was Laurie Davis. He goes, they had money, you know, coming in before that, but they didn't have anybody direct in the effort. And Laurie Davis, without a whole lot of connections, started contacting these people. She knew about that E. So she got ahold of E personally. But you know, she had practically ran a publicity office for people to call in, and so she hooked up all these people and she started taking the money that they were giving her and doing what nobody else had done, and that was hiring friends, that's experts and legal people. That was the West Memphis Three's main problem is they had public defender grade lawyers and no money for to prepare their case. Usually, if you're an indigen you get the port will give you some money to collect evidence on it, but they didn't do that, and so she started spreading that money around. She hired Dennis Ardan who's he worked on the Nightstalker case and I think in the appeals he was part of the appeals and that was his thing, is that he was a federal appellatetan UH lawyer, and he started assembling the legal team. She got John Dogliz Uh to go out and start talking to people.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 10: She got the evidence reexamined. There's been d n DNA events that they had collected. You know, from the beginning, I was just sitting in an evidence room because the judge wouldn't give them any money to have it tested. So she got.
Speaker 3: The okay, Round two. Name something that's not boring, laundry, a book club, computer solitaire. Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for chumba casino chum. That's right.
Speaker 5: Chumbacasino dot com has over one hundred casino style games joined today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes.
Speaker 1: Chum.
Speaker 3: Chumbacasino dot com plusters conition of blue website retails.
Speaker 10: Fun need to have it tested, And out of all that came the most famous hair in history. And that would be the hair of Terry Hobbs that was found in the binding of Michael Moore. And when they had that, that was the first piece of physical evidence they had leaning somebody else to the case. John Mark Byers looks they're on camera, but there was no physical evidence Terry Hawks had a physical event. And of course, if you wanted to find somebody who was a character who was capable of violence, you know, obbosit the bill. So they had a violent guy, they had a hair, and away they go. And then they started doing the benefits to keep the money cranking in the last benefit they did was on the eve of the Supreme Court hearing which resulted in their ultimate release. Was Danny Harrison was there and Depp was there. Patty Smith so and Peter Jackson got involved and had been involved for some time, but really behind the scenes. He had been funding a woman named Amy Berg who produced a documentary called deliver Us from Evil about a Catholic priest who was a pedophile, and she had gone like undercover with Pam Hobbs for several years trying to get evidence implicating Hobbes. And she put out her own documentary at that time called West of Memphis, so they had. At the same time, Bruce and Joe were putting a third Paradise Loss together, So there were three Paradise Loss films.
Speaker 2: There was the.
Speaker 10: West of Memphis documentary. There was Devil's Not the theatrical release by Adam that was his name, the Canadian guy, yes with now it wasn't an American Adam, a boy in Adam Agoyan Colin Firth, and recently was Room and all that. So that's overwhelming amount of media. And it's the times. It's forget about the books because as you pointed out, people weren't reading those. Yeah, the big read h Mara Levitt's book and they use it as their bible. But that book was three quarters and I invited anybody to go through and tell me otherwise. That was three quarters of a hatchet job on John Mark Byers. It's all that book was. Yeah, and then their buddies these days.
Speaker 9: So the thing is, how on earth does the number one the movement on how does Because Marra Leverett's there at the end, you know, when the the DNA, at least in their minds, completely exonerates the West Memphis three and implicates in their minds completely that Hobbes is the guy and Mark Myers isn't. How does Hollywood and documentarians, because they're not, you know, filmmakers aren't supposed to be as responsible as documentary filmmakers. How do they go from blaming in two movies basically and like you say, three quarters of Mayor Leverett's book, Devil's not accusing Mark Byers in this almost the same kind of way that ironically that the West Memphis Three were accused through not complete police work. Let's say, how do they do that? How do they justify that? Do they say anything? Do they address that? And how does that work?
Speaker 10: Well, the one thing you said that's true is that they're held to a higher standard than a regular filmmaker. They refer Joe's verse, refer to themselves, and when I talk about through Snowsky, I should mention he passed away a couple of years back, so it's just young now. But they they refer to themselves as journalists. And in my mind, that kicks it up another notch as far as paying paying mine to the integrity of the of the film. And I just couldn't see it being there if there was enough, if you didn't if you didn't do anything else but watch movies, and I suppose you could believe what you saw. But uh, there was a website out there that I leaned on heavily. It contributed to pretty heavily as well. Where since the beginning of the case, they've been piling evidence. We were talking about this in the pre show. They had things transcribed, recordings transcribed. They had, you know, people transcribing court records and things like that, and evidence reports and photo copies of police reports. And I mean, they had just had so much stuff up there. It was very I wouldn't say it was easy. It would be tedious to walk yourself through what was up there, but it would also tell you the facts. And a lot of the people who came up with different facts, and includes someone like John Douglas. Again, it was a completely different scenario. It could not have possibly gone through the records, uh, and and looked at the facts the documentarians you can tell. One of the first things Joe said after after seeing Damien Eckles in court was that after talking to him for five minutes, he realized that he was totally innocent. And if somebody, if somebody can tell you that they can tell anybody is innocent after talking to them for five minutes. He obviously didn't read all the psychiatric reports. He didn't know Epples history. And this is a violent, disturbed, you know, an emotionally deserved guy. Uh. And even if you don't buy that that's enough of a motive for murder. Uh, it's it's still something that that that the filmmakers were unaware of when they when they when they interviewed Echols when they made that movie again, the first he was better factually in that it was less theatrical in nature. Then the second movie they got Kathy and Grove and Burke and Marill Everett and it was the whole in by Joe's own admission, the movie was them watching the Free the West Memphis three support. That's what the whole second movie is about. So it tells you right in the beginning what you're going to see. You're going to see. You're going to see a group of filmmakers. And it's really easy to do in on film, to just what you leave on a cutter room room floor. You can make your tastes. And still, now let me say that I think that I believe that that Joe believes in what he was doing. I don't know if he would say that he was held up to the highest standards of journalism, but he's an ends justify the means kind of guy. And he said that the problem with Joe's he likes to talk. And if you look through the commentary to the films, which I did, and you know, call the internet for all the hundreds of interviews that he's given, he just loves the glass because nobody disagrees with him. You never have to get put against any screwiny because you'll find in this in this case, most people believe that the West mamphis three are innocent. I find that mind boggling. But it's a lot, there's a lot of people.
Speaker 9: Well before we get to again that will be of course an opinion. Let's I want to go through some things that again are just highly contestable, and some things don't come up that that just boggle my mind that they don't come up. And one of the most important things, I mean, your book's called Untied to Not there's devils not William Ramsey talked about in his He claimed that there was proof the way the shoelaces were tied of a Satanic ritual. And and yet I read in your book about for the first time that there are three distinct styles of knots, which indicates three different killers. Can you talk about that?
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's uh, that was one thing that didn't get noticed. I don't think very early in a case either, but it did certainly during the appeals. And uh, even John Douglas admits that, Uh. One thing, one possibility for different knots is that it's not it's not unheard of for a killer to have his vignams tie each other up. Uh. And you had three boys arrowpub scouts and they theory, I think you had a time not so that's a possibility. Terry Hobbs.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 10: You know that they found one of his his uh, his hairs in the not binding Michael Moore. Uh. And and there's a lot of disagreement about that because they don't I don't have access to the actual piece of evidence, and they seem to be kind of vague as far as was it lying on the shoelace? Was that in the knots? But it was associated with that not that bound Michael Moore? And the question arises, why would he why would he tie three different style of knots, I wouldn't wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. John Douglass admits that too, while he would be all these different and he postulates and maybe one of the kids tied up the other kid, and that's possible, although if it was Jessic mis Kelly didn't say that, and he never said that, And there any one of his four confessions, he never said anything about anybody but Damien and Jason fine knots, which means that he probably tied on himself too. John Douglass also says that it was impossible for jess mus Kelly to who have run away and grabbed Michael Moore and bring him back because he was already he was already bound and he couldn't have run away. And I don't know where he gets that of information because it's not in the facts, So that's just something he made up. But yeah, I don't really. In fact, I sat here with a pile of leather bombs trying to find outce because I was not a boy scout and I don't want anything about nuts. And they gave a very good description of you know how these knots are tied, and they some of them seemed a little more complicated.
Speaker 2: Than an eight year old could tie.
Speaker 10: But Jesse made an interesting point when he was asked during one of the confessions, well, how comes that the kids? How do you get the kids to stay still while you tie them up? And Jesse said, well, the kids are just like puppies. He said, you can look them and they'll stay put. Well, I thought I was fascinate anything to say, because I also believe that that's true. It is easier to control children, and I don't think you needed any kind of giant intellect or a huge body size or but it certainly if you had help that would do it. So, I mean, that's the obvious explanation for different knots, is that there's there's gonna be three different kids involved, because before if one of the Dickens's time or not.
Speaker 9: Now everything about whether they had a fair trial. I mean, we won't dwell on this too much about the fair trial, but at least that has to be said that that's part of this. These people's argument is that did the West Memphis three you receive a fair trial, especially given the Satanic ritual theory that was put forth as motive. Let's just get that off the you know, did they receive a fair trial that they especially in light of the DNA evidence that they that they did and coover? Did they deserve another trial? So two questions.
Speaker 10: So I guess they totally deserved another trial. Their first triveal was completely unfair. And the fact that they deserved another trial, I only did they deserve it, that they were going to get it. And that's what forced the Alford deal to begin with, because they had the state had the choice of be there letting convicted killers go free and admitting they were wrong and opening themselves up to all the civil suits and you know whatever, all of that, and or getting to take the Alfred play. And they still would wind out this convicts, but they would be released out to seventeen or eighteen years behind bars. But the thing that made the trial, and it goes right back to the beginning, even forgetting the whole occult. I met with Vicky Hudgington at one point and I still never found out why. You know, it's a mystery how much Jessicas Kelly was into the calife. And I don't you know, I mean, they had a little little spooky groups going on around town. But I don't think anybody ever really approved the occult. But the question I think you're asked, did the jury by it? And it's a two pronged answer. And in the case of Jesse miss Kelly trial, because he was tried separately because he wouldn't testify against the others. In his case, the jury believed the confession. They heard the tapes confession played in open court. That's all they needed to hear. And what they did, though, was that information found its way into the trial of Damien Echols and Jason Baldwin, who were tried together. And it was later uncovered that, you know, the jury had included the miss Kelly confession in their deliberations, right, and they yeah, the who's the confession and their deliberations And also they had a juror who who talked his way onto the jury. He lied about, you know, some some questions you know they ask you and turn who idea all the different questions that might preclude you from providing a bias service. And he lied to that, and he also discussed it with his attorney and wanted to know because he was afraid that the prosecution was dropping the ball and they were going to they weren't going to convict these guys, and he wanted to make sure he decided they were guilty. He wanted and convicted. And uh so that's when he brought this kind of convention, the confession into into the jury deliberations. Uh, that's enough. That's Jerman's conduct. Uh. He had a tainted jury. And if Judge Burnett had given them a new trial right away, they may have come up with the same Uh, you're the same payment because those people were there were local people and the news sort of was still big. But he he didn't do that. He'd stone walled them for fifteen years, and by that time they were guaranteed a new trial and they were going to be acquitted and everybody knew it. So that's why they came up with the op place. So that's the deal of Yes, the short answer is they deserved new trials and they should have had them right away for that reason.
Speaker 9: Okay, we're gonna okay, what we're gonna do is, Greg we're gonna take this opportunity just for two minutes to talk about a sponsor of this program, which is Luke Crate and Luke create is a mystery create filled with exclusive items from the biggest and best pop culture franchises, delivered right to your door every month and exclusive items including apparel, collectibles, license gear, and unique one of a kind must haves. Luke Crate partners with top brands including Marvel, Nintendo, Call of Duty, and Star Wars to get you every month exclusive products. It's thirteen ninety five per month plus six dollars shipping and handling. Total price nineteen ninety five. That's a recurring monthly rate, but there are no commitments and so you're in control. Cool limited edition stuff like shirts, vinyl figures, other collectibles. Four to six items over forty five dollars of retail value in every crate for one hundred twenty bucks. And this month, pop culture is full of brave new worlds, societies and flux that don't always turn out for the best. June's theme will be exploring some of the ways things go wrong with dystopia, featuring classics RoboCop, Terminator two, Judgment Day and The Matrix and new faves BioShock, Infinite and Fallout four. And They've got the loot to lift your spirits and subscribe for this June's loot Crate Mystery Crate by the nineteenth of June at nine pm Pacific Standard time, and that's the deadline. So every month, a lutcrate member wins a megacrate valued at over two thousand dollars loaded with exclusive collectible gear, tech gadgets, game systems, apparel and accessories and other items so big an epic they can't fit in their monthly crates. And if you use the use the true Murder code that's at lukecrate dot com slash true Murder, you're going to get an additional three dollars off your monthly subscription. So that's go to lutcrate dot com l O O T c r at E loutcrate dot com slash true Murder and get yourself three dollars off that monthly subscription. Get yourself Dystopia June's Louke Create Mystery Box. So we last left off, we were talking about the effect of this Alfred plea, well not the effect of the Alfred Plea, but effective all of the the five movies, the films and the movement to get these people released from prison. What is the state of the case legally as a result of all those five movies and all this activism and the Alfred plea. In reality, what is the legal evidence against Terry Hobbes in reality and what is what's the if anything, any kind of movement by the police or any progress by police in that area.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the police aren't really involved now, but there are there are a group of some of the victims' families, Mark in one of them, Pam Hobbs, and some other people, because they they're looking to exonerate the west menhis three rather than just have them released from prison, and the only way that they can do They're all focused on Terry Hobbs. As far as the evidence that they have, there's the hair. The hair is and I'll go through the details in the book I go. I do go into detail about mitochondrial DNA and what the story is with that hair and how inculpatory it actually is. You know, there's no hair follicle, it's just a hair shaft, so you can't get anything but mitochondrial DNA, which can trace things through the mother's line, and they can say things like, you know, Terry Hobbs is oneerful group of you know, in West Memphis thirty five hundred people who could have done this, you know, that kind of thing. But it's you know it. I don't think if they're good evidence, but it's evidence. They also have some statements by Hobbs, then neighbors. H and I'm gonna geeze a little bit here because I think that I think one was Jennifer Baird. They were sisters and they lit three doors down from from Terry in West Memphis, and they they claim to have seen him with all three boys at his house, uh on a date where he said he had never he had not seen the boys. He had he hadn't even seen his own steps on uh Stevie, because Terry hadn't come home from work yet when Stevie went out riding bikes. Uh. So they're they're showing that he not only saw, but was with and talked to these three kids the very shortly before the murdered, within an hour or so. Uh So that's another piece of it. And they they those were just sworn Affi Davids and uh they uh they've got uh Terry's uh uh. She wasn't a wife, she was a fiance, I think. And she said that he used to talk about the murders in his sleep. Mind you, this stuff is coming out like within the last last six years. She wouldn't say anything out of them, she said she didn't she like she didn't hear about the case, so she didn't know to come forward with this information. The same way with the girls and seen the three boys, which they didn't. They didn't know that it was an issue, where else they would have brought it up years ago. There was also a woman named Mildred I can't remember her name. She was out in Hot Springs, Arkansas, and Terry nig her when he was younger before he married Pam. And she claimed that he it broke into her apartment while she was in the shower and it's actually assault her and that the landlord as a result kicked him out of the apart. So this is another sorg and appidated. Uh so this one is very old, well not very old now that she's she's probably my age, she's miion her sixties or something. But she came forward.
Speaker 1: It is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win? Like are you a fist pumper, a woo, a handclapp or a high fiver?
Speaker 3: I kind of like the High five.
Speaker 1: But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com. Choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 4: Noill we necessary dally void wherever if I lost the terms of conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 10: And uh that's really all they have, although they're using uh, you know, he Terry Hawks filed a defamation City ends Natalie mains Is, the Dicks and the Dixie Chicks individually and collectively for defamation because of the information they had put on their website. Right after this is right after the hair was found and all that, Natalie Mainz actually went up to Little Rock to the capitol. She claimed she's going to see the governor with the governor with the seer. So she's just saw some functionary and just presented him with petition and some postcards and whatnot. But she apparently had said something on the web side about Terry Hobbes and he felt that it was defamatory. So he brought suit.
Speaker 2: He got a.
Speaker 10: Lawyer in his Mech of the Woods to do it pro bono, and they went through depositions and Judge ended up dismissing the case was being without evidence. But a lot of things. In fact, I have sitting around on my shelf, like fifteen hours of positive depositions and they're using things that he says in there as part of the case that they would put together. Now, so that's all I know that they have against Terry Ahms. I mean there's probably more a little things, but those are the biggies.
Speaker 9: Well. One of the things that was raised in the film and I found compelling is the timeline inconsistencies, and I think that's very very important. And again we haven't mentioned that of all the people. I mean normally police would look at the members of a family first. And what you point out in this book is Terry Hobbs was never questioned until fourteen years later, and he would have never been questioned if it weren't for the films.
Speaker 10: Yep, that's true, correct.
Speaker 9: Now, the timeline he includes very interesting. Again, this is you have to you know, you put this together and that together to create your theory, not your theory, but other people's theory that this. David Jacoby is a very interesting character because he is, for at least with some people Terry Hobbes. Again, he isn't questioned by police, so he doesn't need an alibi per se. But he says different things to different people involving David Jacoby, and then David Jacob is interviewed and says different things contrary to what Terry Hobbs said. So tell us what you found and what was tell us about this.
Speaker 10: Yeah, David Jacoby was actually a friend of Pam Hobbs' family back from up in Blyville and he lived there in West Memphis, and him and Terry used to play guitar, and yeah he did. He did tell police because they interviewed. They didn't interview Jacoby until later on either. They had no reason to. He's going through the same set of fogy recollections. He is not one hundred percent sure, like you said on the timeline. He has a couple of different timelines, but they're close enough to around what might have been the time of up because I remember they never established time of death either, but they can they can, they can narrow it down circumstantially, you know about when it probably took place. And uh ads had come to Jacoby's house, uh somewhere prior to six o'clock on that night. Uh they played guitar for a while, and Uh Terry had actually come from from home for Stevie because Stevie and Jacoby's kids used to play and they were the friends. And uh Stevie had Pam had already gone to work, and when Terry got home, Stevie was gone, so he went looking at Jacoby's. But you were a lot of concerned, you know, they said, well, why did he play guitar? It was trend for half an hour when the sun was missing. But yeah, you know what West Memphix, everybody knew each other, and uh it was it was just not an unusual thing, you know, Steve to be out riding his bike. But at one point he allegedly got concerned and after six o'clock and he left, according to Jacoby, for around forty five minutes, and when he came back, he said he hadn't found him. Now, there are those who claim that that was enough time to commit the murders, and I suppose it probably was because everything you know, one of the things that strikes you when you drive around that area is how close everything is. You know, it makes it sound like people are miles and miles away, but all these sites of the trailer parks, the Bayou, Hobbs buyer's house, all that is like walking distance. You know, it's very close. And he he didn't tell Terry at the time, I mean Jacobe at the time that you know, wherever he'd been, but he did say that he hadn't found a Stemian. Then he left again, and it gets confusing after that. You actually have to go through the documentation at Terry don't statements, you know, to see where he went, because surely they're at her He hooked up with Mark Buyers, and according to Terry, that was the first time he'd got he laid eye on Mark Buyers.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 10: You know, they lived a quarter a mile away from each other in their kids place.
Speaker 2: He did, he didn't know them.
Speaker 10: And Todd Moore, Michael Moore's dad was away on a trucking trip, and Dana Moore's mom was there and Chris's mom, Melissa, uh, and so they were there together and that's when Regina Meek, the officer Regina Meet came up to take their statements because Mark had already called the police. He knew it that that Christopher was not this sumwhere he wasn't supposed to be, and so she came took those statements. And she never made any mention of seeing Terry Hobbs, as Harry said, he's in one accountany he was in his car the whole time in another county. Said he was there with them and he saw me. Uh. Nobody came and asked her, did you see Terry Hobbs. So I can't tell you whether he was there or not. She just was silent on the subject. In the statements, don't say anything about He says that Mark is there, Most was there, Dana was there. Didn't say anything about Terry. But Terry said he was there, and then he joined the search effort at that point where people were going in and out of robin Hood Hills, and he was with his father in law because Pam had called her dad from Flysville talk him about half hour forty five minutes to get down there, Jackieyick's senior and he and Terry had gone through around to the Blue value of the Blue beacontructor stuff and called in the woods and stuff, but they were never really clear about whether they went into the woods. Pam said she went into the woods. Jacobe said he went into the woods. Terry Hobbs, I think he went into the woods. But in any case, they didn't. They didn't find anything, and with a crime scene that was so trained because it was dozens it is just the night before the next day, they didn't discover the bodies till like one o'clock in the afternoon, and from dawn all the way through that time, the crime scene had just been trampled, so they only had a few things that they could rely on, like they fished their bikes advi. So somebody had definitely thrown them in there after committing the murders, well before, but probably after.
Speaker 9: Let's get to again, I think the the before we start talking and looking at Hobbes and eliminating Hobbes or including Hobbes or accusing Hobbes and creating a scenario where that happened, was there really well, what was there the corroborating evidence that Jesse ms Kelly gave in totality of the If you've sorted out all the five confessions under all the circumstances, one in front of or a couple in front of their attorneys where they pleaded them not to you know, pleaded with them not to confess, but they did, regardless of all though tutality. What was the what were the corresponding evidence that said, yes, what Jim jesse ms Kelly said corresponded. You know, we had we had to talk of again, very very confusing when you get somebody saying it was a surgical castration and then we're talking about sea turtles or or some kind of turtles, and we talked about a wound on the left side of the cheek that jesse ms Kelly had made. So tell us the things that corroborated what he said to prove that there was some crucial evidence in his confessions.
Speaker 10: I think it was the things that he said that could be proven false. The proteins lying were more because he didn't give a whole lot of corroborating evidence. You know, the things he they were all circumstantial. The closest thing he got the physical evidence was he said that there was a whiskey bottle that he had drank, and that after the after the murders. He left separate from miss Kelly and I mean from Echoes in Baldwin, and he went walking along the railroad tracks, finishing his bottle of Evans Walker whiskey, and he threw it off the bridge there and danced it and then then up going back down there and finding it. And it's very difficult to take a bunch of broken glass and say, well, this is this is evidence. Uh so, But I mean it was something that he told them and they could kind of corroborate it. I think the biggest problem with with miss Kelly's confession was that he named all these people that knew where he was, none of which were Damien and Jason, because he was supposedly said he had was wrestling that night up in Dias It's about forty miles away. And the guys that he named all came up to the standard initially lied about the dates, and then it was proven that they that they didn't see him on that particular day, that it was a different day that he was there. I think they convincingly convinced the jury that he wasn't He wasn't where he said he was. So that was a bad piece of you know, that's kind of counter evidence and really goes back to the alibi because I can't think of anything that Jesse mus Kelly gave them that they were able to corroborate, with the exception of his dealings with Victoria Hutchinson, but she was supposedly working with the police at that time too, so they didn't need miss Kelley to corroborate anything he So they can't think of anything. I don't know whether there was anything.
Speaker 9: Now in your mind is the DNA and experts minds and the court's minds in terms of historically, do they take DNA what they found, what they uncovered with their their experts in that is that an exoneration of the West Memphis three, that there was no DNA linking them at that crime scene or to DNA evidence at their residences.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's a good that's a good question. And none of the DNA evidence that they collected was really legally useful, and there the circumstances leading out to the Alford to play had absolutely nothing to do with evidence. Uh, you know, they convicted them on you know, on a panic. They would have acquitted them on public opinion. So I don't Yeah, I don't think that, because you're right, Yeah, there was a total absence of of d n A. You know where they would find it is, you know, it's beyond me as far as in their houses go. Uh. They came up with the fiber evidence, and I'll admit up front that I'm not a fiber guy. I read what they said about the fiber you know, I took their word for it, but uh, it didn't seem particularly convincing of anything, because all that stuff is, you know, might be to the exclusion of such and such, and uh, that's usually not enough to gain a condition for uh or an acquittal.
Speaker 9: So the thing is is, then, is in the the supporters minds they were They were sure in the first place because based on the movies and based on their just their ideas that that the West Memphis three were completely innocent and they were railroaded and that there was some other killer. And first they thought it was John Mark Byers, and so they destroyed his life almost completely, and then it was uh, Terry Hobbs, and that crusade continues. Yes, so I'll ask you, I'll ask you the question, then, why do you think what's your evidence that still maintains the guilt of the West Memphis three.
Speaker 10: I don't like to use the alternate suspect that I have a kind of alternate suspect in reverse, and uh, they really are none. There's nobody else who could have who could have done what they did. They they were they were good suspects, and I'll start with that they were good suspects. Uh, we can't go ahead and use all the medical records on Damian Epos was evidence of anything other than that he was a deserved kid. That they had said some things and Grant, listen, you gotta understand if you're involved in this case, you're not really hardcore either way. The supporters tend to be hardcore. But it falls apart pretty quick because because it's the nature of this case. I hear things like when Jess ms Kelly was giving one of his statements to the attorneys and they asked him, we're all three boys dead when they were thrown into the water, and Jesse said no, he said one of them was alive, and they go, how did you tell he was alive? Well, he was. They're wiggling like a worm. And that image just pomped me because to me, that said, there's somebody who saw it. He said, he whiggled like worm he saw that. And also the fact that one of the boys had water in their lungs, or two of the boys had water and their lungs, and one of them, sorry, one of them had water and his lungs, and the other tude didn't mean they were dead when they were put him in the water, and one of them was alive. Right, there's the absence of Damian Apples. Various trench coats. They searched his apartment.
Speaker 2: That night, du.
Speaker 10: I want to say ninth by the night they were all arrested, and they searched his his trailer, and they didn't find a similar trench coat. Now, this side wore a trench coat everywhere he went. And that's the one thing that everybody agreed on the West Memphis is that Damian Apples wore a trench coat twelve months out of the year everywhere he went. Good chance at seeing the prime he was wearing that trench coat. And now all of a sudden, there are no trench coats to be found. The West Memphis police don't ask, I mean, they asked later at trial, where's the trench coat? He said. David said, I don't know. My parents must have it, but of course I didn't have it because he had ditched it. So that always, uh you know, that always bothered me.
Speaker 9: Well, then I'll ask the question. I'll ask the questions. And why, I mean again not to say that I have to have all five tenants of the who what? Where? Why? You know, I can't nobody gets that, I don't think, or very rarely, but still you have to have an idea. You're very very involved with this for six seven, I'm in ten years almost. Why why would they do this? I mean, is there anything? Is there anything to this angle that the police and prosecutors had? Is there nothing to it? Is there anything to it?
Speaker 10: There's nothing to the Satanic ritual per se. The fact that Damien Echles probably believe pretty strongly in the occult. And if you read the document called that is in the five hundred, that was something they put together. It's kind of higher psychiatric history in it from all with different places that he'd been. And you look back on his life, uh, you know, his life was hell. And I encouraged somebody to get the book and read that particular part on Damien h and how that kid grew up and he was an accident waiting to happen. So I think that if you add some drugs to the midst and some alcoholic Josic said they were drunk, but I don't know. I don't know what that means. And and then you know the story that Miss Kelly told about him calling the kids over. And you know Damian Epans was a hated guy around town. You know, he's in a little podemic southern town.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 10: He he was despised, and that can do a lot with somebody. And like I said, you put together with his personal history, but that doesn't tell you why. And I don't really know why. But I'll tell you what. I also don't know why Terry Hobbs would have done it. I don't know why anybody would have done such a friend. So your face having to come up with an answer that's not going to be really satisfying.
Speaker 9: No, there is talk in your book, and there is talk, of course of the other alternative is that Hobbes did it and Jacob Jacoby or Jacoby was involved, and there was a couple other people's Michael Hobbs Junior, So tell us about that story. And why that's in your mind doesn't have too much credibility.
Speaker 10: Well, I you know, David Jakeby was a friend of the families, and like I said, he was a friend of Pan's family from back in Blives though, and you knew Steve, you well, And I mean I can't I can't conceive of any situation where he would team up with Harry Hobbes and kill a son and the other two boys. It makes so little sense that you'd have to have compelling physical evidence and then you don't have to worry about motives. And that's the problem in this case is you've got a lot of motives but no propelling evidence. And the nephews of Terry Hobbs or nephew Michael Hobbs, and his two friends, they came up with the story, and again this has done very recently post everything. They came to the story that they heard Terry and his brother downstairs in Terry's brother's house talking about the murders. Terry basically confessing, and Michael already knew this and said, hey, this is the Hobbes family secret. We don't tell anybody. And they took the two Michael Hobbs the nephew denied any He denied that he ever heard his father or uncle say that his two friends claiming they did they took, they they gave after Davids, it's a polygrass, uh and and past them. And an interesting thing about polygrass, especially in this case, is that when they when they point to the guilt of the West Memphis three, they're turned out there they're termed bad polygrass. But when they're turned out to be, you know, inculpatory with Terry Hobbs, they're good. They're good polygrass. I've met with several polargriphers who believe, they really believe in what they did. I mean, they really think that that their craft shows them something. But they're not admissible for a reason. And but so I don't give any credence to these boys at all because of the time they waste. If they're telling the truth, that's a that's a shame that they waited so long to tell somebout it, because if they had, Terry Hobbs is never gone. Terry Hobbs is never going to do any time for this crime ever, and those boys aren't gonna do anything else.
Speaker 9: Well, No, the thing is that there's many reasons why they would not go after I mean, even if more evidence came against Terry Hobbs, they'd likely not try to prosecute them. But here's the thing. I mean, again, for our audience, it's going to ask this question, and I guess I'm gonna have to ask this question from what you're saying, because there's again no core, corroborating evidence of miss Kelly basically or very very little. And you say there is no evidence of satanic ritual motivation and Terry Hobbs, you can't imagine a motivation, and it looks like that it's again, if I'm wrong, you can correct me. That it looks like more than one person had to either control these kids and tie them up and or tie them up, so which kind of rules out Hobbes doing it completely by himself. And then there is that presence of Pam's friend David his hair being there, and so people have talked about, well, Hobbs could have planted that. And then Hobbes immediately like almost like a guilty person's talking about secondary transfer like he's a lawyer. You say that you can't imagine a motivation or motive for Terry Hobbs and his friend David. And then but the motivation for Damian Eccles and Jason Baldwin is what is Damien's mentally ill? And Jason is his friend, he's sixteen looking like he's fourteen. If it's not in occult motivation, what do you think the motive? Again I asked you before, But again, if it's not, both people don't seem to have a really good motive.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's as they don't. This is what I said. This is a problem with this case. This is the whole problem with it is there's there's no motive. There's no motive. If you hadn't caught Richard's is red handed, you wouldn't have a motive for him either. Why did he do what he did? You know, tell me why he did what he did? To my satisfaction? So what I can understand that he was guilty beyond reasonable doubt and there isn't anything and so and Charlie Manson's crew Helter Skelter vince BOLEIOSI had to go into court and proves Helter Skelter to a very skeptical jury. But he did it. But that's you know, that's a pretty nebulous type of his motive to send four people to their death, three of them being teenage girls. The motives is just something we're gonna have to do without in this case. And I'm not gonna postulate one because I haven't the slightest idea. That doesn't mean that those boys are just as dead, whether there was a motive or not. And you're gonna take two hairs and say that fifteen years later, a guy and his best friend killed his son. Okay, I think that's a I think that's a worse motive than three wasted, psychotic teenagers getting carried away with. Yeah, because all they really did was time up and drown them each one. And they bashed him on the back of the head with a rock. That is pretty basic. Jess, Miss Kenny knew how to bash somebody with the rock. He was very capable, and he was very pliable. He would do anything he was told. Just about Baldwin was also very malleable. So those're just, you know, those are just things. They don't prove anything.
Speaker 9: What about this, What about the surgical precision or lack of surgical precision was in your mind because they're so diametrically opposed, those two theories and and the testimony from the original medical examiner. What did you find likely happened? Was it surgical or was it animal predation or was it what? What'd you find?
Speaker 10: Well, considering the size of the world we're talking about, animal vernation is an out of the question. But it didn't seem like a surgical thing to me. And but I don't I know, I'm not being an expert. I couldn't say. Uh, the Parretti the medicals in there was a hack, a well known hack, and he's been discredited so many times over the years, and a lot of them thinks that he did. You know that that set the case the way this set the stage for the case for the next fifteen years. He's the guy who he's the only guy who got to look at the bodies. Everybody else is going back pictures. I sat in quote and listened to Warner Smitz say that when he looked at all the marks from the bodies from the pictures, that it was no doubt in his mind that this was animal product. And I say, you know what, I think that's I think that's nonsense because I saw those pictures too, and I could find a bunch of things that looked like I don't care if I'm not a pathologist or not, how can you how can you look at those pictures that later on and why would anybody put the You know, they would have had to have been in that bitch for a long time for the turtles to go much in on all three of them, and the fact is they were in there, what twelve fifteen hours? Right, I don't see how you can put out all those And but I will say that there's a mark on Steve Branch's skull that looks exactly like a puncture from a knife. Seemed enough puncture wounds, I nobody, nobody would address that, and so I don't know. But but if you go up to the Callahan website that that picture is up there somewhere, and you know that that supports the use of a knife. But the wounds that they found and were so shallow, you know, and the knives that they would have had were you know, we're not talking about butter knives. You know, certainly, even if you had a pen knife, it will make a deep enough mark. I think the deepest puncture wound they found was an engine three quarters, But that's more than a turtle cogit, So you know, I don't know, I wasn't watching. I don't know. I know what killed them were the was the one object and the basil region and the spell and all three kids that lined up their heads smashed in and that's what killed them.
Speaker 9: Was there one more of this corroborating question? Was there? I know there was controversy over it, but what did you think about that? The one co corroborating statement he said about the wound on the left cheek of the boy that he couldn't have known otherwise.
Speaker 10: I didn't think a whole lot about that. Unfortunately, Justin as Kelly was he made so many contradictory, confused statements that, and these boys were so badly brutalized. It was really hard for me to link up a fist with a wound on the side of the face. But it's certainly possible.
Speaker 9: Right now. The big part of your book is, of course, the journey of John Mark Byers, and to me, he's a sympathetic character based on just the evidence that you put forth, some bad luck, some you know, foolish foolish behavior. However, again, I gotta have sympathize with a guy that loses his son and is genuinely distraught like this man, and then what Hollywood did to this guy, or specifically not Hollywood, but specifically these filmmakers. So tell us a little bit about what this effect, what the effect of being accused did to him at the time that he was still grieving. And for those people that might not understand the reaction that they saw on film, how did you How is it explained to you by understanding his character? How could you explain to somebody to say, listen, you just don't know what this this can all create, and that presentation is much different than the man that I know.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's not easy either. Obviously. You know the Mark Buyers that I knew for HM, HM seven eight nine years Well, I never saw that guy in the movies, so, you know, I except to see them in the movies. So he never really offered excuses or even explanations for some of the things that he did. You know, he went to some basic There's a scene in the movie where him and Todd Moore Blast of Parts and Pumpkins, pretending that they were the lost mental sperience. He told me that he went to the hotel bar waved to the filmmakers and got drunk, and someone there and shoots him. But did Mark Buyer start to get drunk to a blow a part of pumpkin and effigy, No burning the graves and effigy. He's a very very emotional guy. And I will say at this point, but I met his entire family, and I took his dad who the pass away, and mom his dead mom passed away, with his brother, sisters and nephews and everything. And he's the only one that's even remotely the way he is. I mean, they're this just average, you know, with old Arkansas, and they're nice, decent people. He had a good upbringing. In fact, in his mind he said that he might have even been a little spoiled. But when he boredom apparently started him getting into trouble as a teenager, was not about to do there. And Mark Tree, Arkansas population I think they're down to three hundred uh and so he but things. He didn't get into a drug dealing thing, just marijuana, but he was into it for a while and he's gotten caught a couple of times and a but he needs to go on to Parish Parish Junior College, South Perish a jeweler school and he got his degree in horology and he opened up He started working in the South and that this was in his early twenties. He was pretty straight, just going around collecting jewelry from people that needed to repair. He got married once and I did he produced two children, didn't last what's long after that, and then he shortly thereafter met Melissa the Fur and marry her and they opened up the jeweler store together in West Memphis. But you know, I guess he just had a little crooked bent to him. You know, you know, some people have to do things that aren't quite on the up and up, like the Roleck's watch incident, where he had as a jeweler, he was able to get some Rolets watches sent to him on on spec and he would tell them in the jewelry store well, and he planned it that he would said that he never received them, and he sold the two watches to somebody in Cherokee Village. He eventually got out of that, and that was right around the time of the murders because what he ended up using the money that they had raised for him, because he said, he said publicly he didn't have enough money to bury his sign. So there was there was a fund that churches had started and for all three victims families, and Mark had to use that money to pay off the jewelers so that he wouldn't press charges. Now, any other time they probably would just arrested them, but because of what was going on, they wouldn't pay it off. And so it was little things like that. Uh, then we asked the murders. I think I think things got worse for him. Uh. You know, his wife was, you know, an opioid addict, and you know, he drank it and smoked all the pot and when they went to their exile up in Cherokee Village, they just it was a perfect place for them to find trouble and they found lots of it. It was that really that led to, uh, you know, a succession of crimes and arrests that led to his being in prison and nineteen ninety nine. So you know, that's my take on it. You wouldn't You wouldn't know that the Mark before the murders and the Mark now are different than the guy in between. If you men, Mark buyers now you think he's my star around and he is.
Speaker 9: It seems decent. I mean from all the things I've seen too, it's it's you see the difference, and I mean to me, I just got to say, I don't have too many opinions about movies and documentaries, but I couldn't. I couldn't believe that the style, the documentary style, or I thought it was irresponsible those scenes that were staged. Obviously you can't say that's spontaneous. Besides, I wouldn't have never included them, I think the reason anyway.
Speaker 10: Why would you have included them? There's only one reason, and that was the whole thing. Yeah, about a lot of excus and the second movie really didn't have enough material for a movie. First, the first movie is a completely different animal. The second movie without Mark's and the Free the West Memphis Three Club, you didn't have any movie at all.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Yeah, Well, the other question I was going to ask was why did Mark buyers then after he knew that the horrendous treatment and the unfair treatment he was in prison, realizing he didn't even get to see the premiere of those movies or the second one Uni League it was released, why did he cooperate with the third one?
Speaker 10: Then? Yeah, I was wondering if you were going to ask that. Yeah, yeah, because I was. I was on a scene by that time that that third movie was made during during my time, and uh they had actually uh was a simple answer is money, you know. Uh. He said that he would be an opportunity friends to show people that he wasn't that crazy redneck that he was in the other two movies. And and he did. And also if you look the third one, he's not featured anywhere near as prominently because uh, he didn't have like a nut, but they wanted to and they and they had one. Joe at one point, I claimed and that he didn't pay people to be in movies, because in the documentary you're not supposed to pay people and maybe pay their expenses for interview maybe, but he paid lots of people, and Mark included, and he got him in front of a bunch of people at a benefit and said, yeah, we don't pay people. And I called him out on that. He walked it back. But yeah, I think it's more than more than the need to exonerate himself or rehabilitate himself. I think they didn't with money. That's my opinion.
Speaker 9: It's such a it's such a fascinating case. And and Mark is is just a fascinating character and his and his wife dies and I think the worst thing of all this has to be that somebody implicates him in his wife's death. So tell us about that, about the implication.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, the implication. And I think that really drove the rage that pushed him over the edge that actually ended up getting on in prison. Uh. He was, he was angry beyond you're beyond imagination. And you you can say that he opened himself to him. He did. If he hadn't been in the second film, he wouldn't have to deal with that, but he did. And uh, you know, he tried in the in the film and elsewhere to say like this. The KGB accused him on film of murdering his life, and yeah, you know it was a really a really amazing thing for someone to do. They didn't they didn't even know him. Uh, and they did it based on something Marion Leverett had written. But uh, there was a investigation. Mark consisted on an autopsy because he knew what people were going to think, uh, Budgiet Uh And I give In the book, there's a section on Melissa's death and what the many things could have been that caused her death. You know, she was ob she smoked, she was a drug user.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 10: She she's completely decimated and pretty stricten uh to the loss of her son because unlike Mark, you know, Chrispher's a biological child, and uh, she loved that boy, and she she acted like any any mother would and you know, you can give up your life. And so anyway, she had a million things that could have killed that Mark fires would have been the why would he roll over in his bed after an afternoon nap and kill her? Uh? But they didn't think of you know that. They just decided they were going to start shooting questions at him on screen to plant the seed in other people's minds. And that's why to this day, I don't forgive the kg B. I don't give a crowd, but they did to uh to the West Memphis three. But what they did, Smart Buyers, was cruel.
Speaker 9: Right now, this, like I said, this is such a fascinating tale. But and again you don't sum it up in sort of saying, hey, listen, this is an a cautionary tale, and this is what we need to because we already we're already passed the effect because now we have making of a murderer, which again so it's again the same sort of effect with people like and some of the same characters in Hollywood Alec Baldwin just demanding, you know, right up to Obama, the people they can think they can overturn things with the president. So the thing is is that, as a cautionary tale, what would you say, because you're the person that saw this, what and you went through this entire time with things changing and perceptions changing, facts being revealed, and still your assessment, what's the cautionary tale here?
Speaker 10: I think the cautionary tale is age old and very simple. It's don't believe everything you see and hear if you do your due diligence. And I was raised that way. I raised my kids that way. Do your due diligence, and don't take the first thing you get as as gospel, because you know it may not be. If people had done that in this case, who knows the word happened. And I'm talking about the journey too. You know, I don't know what was in their minds, but I would have to guess that they were predisposed against the defendants. But but you know, and also we have you have some things that you're not going to be able to avoid, like this crew in West Memphis at the police department. You know, there were some good guys there, there were some talented guys there. There was a lot of people who were not up to the task. They didn't know how to handle evidence, they didn't really know how to interview. So they talked to unreds of people. But how many of them did they disqualify by trying to implicate them?
Speaker 2: So if you.
Speaker 10: If this happens in West manshis augustas, it might be better if it happened in Los Angeles. And that's what a lot of people said. And yet what if they're do in Los Angeles? Ojin so.
Speaker 9: Was if the police would have done this one basic this is my question. If police would have followed up by interviewing Terry Hobbs, if they would have just scratched that surface a little bit. Would they have been so committed to the Damian Eccles and Jason Baldwin theory to the point that they would have Again, well, let's face it, they questioned miss Kelley with a lot of information brought to that interview.
Speaker 10: We'll say A lot of that came from Vicky Hutchinson, right, She don't he talked to them and told them what Damien had said to her. So so, yeah, Jesse was he was predisposed for sure, but the uh, you're right in that if they do. I'm not going to speculate what would have happened, but I believe it would have been a lot different if they had talked to Terry Hobbs like they were supposed to. Now he wasn't home. It wasn't an evil thing on their part. It was just really sloppy because they talked to Pam and they let Pam talk for the both of them. And you know, that might be okay if it's you and me and our neighbor, but these are you know, these are two victims, and more often than not, they have something to do with the prime, specially in the depth of a child. So for them to not interview him as an excuse and they have no excuse for it either. I mean, if you ask him today, no, we just missed it, and they did. They just missed it. And that's that's emblematic of how this whole investigation went. Very good. Some guys not so much.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's incredible. Well, I want to thank you for coming on and talking about this, and this is just just a fascinating book and a fascinating perspective you get from especially covering John Mark Byers, because you're in the middle of this mailstorm where he's in the eye of the storm here and things change completely. So it really is accompanies this the entire trial and all of the hysteria and then the post trial and like you say, a very profound and unprecedented movement in the way people were released from prison and the result despite the legal decision, it was really how you could transcend the legal courts in Arkansas with Hollywood and some rock musicians. So it's quite interesting. And also I wanted to ask if people are interested in contacting you, do you have a website? Do you do Facebook? And so they might see some of the other material.
Speaker 10: I no longer have a website or blog, but they can contact me through the same way you did through the Facebook page for on time than not.
Speaker 9: Great? Is there? There was talk just before I let you go that you are following this book up with another book about this case. Is that true or no?
Speaker 10: No, that's definitely not true.
Speaker 9: I did enough of this.
Speaker 10: Yeah. I actually did start a treatment back in the day. It's called guilty of sin. But I got out of it real fast, and I got it. I wanted to get back to my guitar. So no more books.
Speaker 9: Yes, well, thank you very much. Great for coming on and talking about your fine book on tying to not John Mark Byers in the West, Memphis. Three. Thank you very much. It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 10: You're quite welcome.
Speaker 9: Dan, thank you, thank you, good night.