Speaker 1: This is Peter Wood, the author of Bath America and Rage. You're listening to All the Wright Radio with Depay.
Speaker 2: And welcome back, ladies and gentlemen, to the radio show that you tell us you like so much, which has been around more than a decade, A Call to Rights with me, your host Steve Kadon Al the Wrights talks about many things about our constitution of Bill of Rights, American exceptionalism as we delve into so many of these topics, but the main theme of the radio show has and always will continue to be this always refuse to be a victim, because a victim is simply someone with no options. Always fight back legally and responsibly. And today, ladies and gentle I'm gonna we move down this particular archive of the cul to Rights Radio Show a brand new edition. Today in just one moment, be introducing our special guest today, Peter Wood, author of a brand new Encounter Books book entitled Wrath America and Rage. Peter Wood as President of the National Association of Scholars, an author of the new book Wrath America in Rage, as well as last year's acclaimed sixteen twenty a critical response to the sixteen nineteen project. A former professor of anthropology and college provost, he's the author of several books about American culture, including Diversity, The Invention of a Concept, and A be in the Mouth Anger in America Now. He joins us here on the Call the Rights radio show as we talk about the brand new book, and some of the backstory reads like this, Anger now dominates American politics, But it wasn't always so Happy. Days are here Again was FDR's campaign song in nineteen thirty two. By contrast, candidate Kamala Harris's twenty twenty campaign song work that Let them Get mad, they Gonna hate anyway. Both in left and the right now some in anger is the main way to motivate their supporters. After the election, both sides became even more indignant. The left accuses the right of insurrection and the right accuses the left of fraud. This is a book about how we got here, about how America changed from a nation that could be roused to anger but preferred self control, to a nation permanently dialed to eleven with that Peter Wood, good afternoon, and welcome to a call to write hard.
Speaker 1: Good afternoon, and thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: It's is thinct pleasure, sir, and reading your book. I find this most interesting, as we recommend many of the books that we get from these great authors to go to the top of the call the wright's bookshelf. But in simplicity, if you don't mind going back in the time tunnel here, describe to us a bit about a previous book called to be in the Mouth, and describe to the audience, and of course we encourage them to get a copy of it. What then, was the main theme of that particular book and how does it also translate and relate to today's topic about wrath.
Speaker 1: Well, that book came about as the result of a book before that titled Diversity, the Invention of the Concept. While I was working on Diversity, I began to run into a lot of people who seemed to be really angry that I was having trouble figuring out what they were angry over. They just seemed to be angry for anger's sake. So I pulled on that tread for a while and began to delve into the psychological literature and historical literature. And what I came up with, which is the substance of the book, was that there had been a kind of sea change in the American temperament. For centuries, Americans had urged on each other and attempted to maintain in their own lives a pretty strong ethic of self control. The angry person was often seen as foolish, or at least the person who got angry too often, or stayed angry too long, or became angry too frequently, and that individual then began to experience a lot of social friction. So there were genuine sanctions against being too angry that began to change after World War II. Two sort of benchmark things were the growing popularity of Freudian psychoanalysis, which informed people that boddling up their anger was going to come back at them in the form of neurosis. And another thing about the same time was the importation of European existentialism, which was teaching that the authentic life is one in which you were led by your passions, with anger in particular. Well, these things kind of came together in the nineteen fifties, not a time we usually think of as especially angry, but there was an angry fringe, mainly on the coasts. But it was the sort of thing that gave rise to who For example, the very popular book A Catcher in the Rye, which is about a pissed off young man who wanders around New York for a few days, calling everybody he meets. The phony turns out at the end of the book that he's actually talking to his shrink, and so you get both the existentialist anger and the psychoanalytic anger wrapped up in what was one of the most popular books of his time. This is also the era in which figures like Alan Ginsberg or writing poems in which they denounced in really vulgar language their hatred of America. Being angry was a style suited the beat generation, who is also catching on in other places. It turned out that anger was almost the perfect match to the emerging protest movements. Well, of course, you've been protest movements way before that. Only the anger that could be summoned to bring real energy to a protest movement had a kind of validation in the opinion of the cultural elite. So all this is brewing in the nineteen fifties. I'm not going to try to retell a whole story since, but broke out in big ways in the nineteen sixties and then just grew and grew and grew, and that's what the book is about. It was written in the middle of Bush's presidency when a new version of this new anger, as I call it, proud, self righteous anger, flamboyant anger, had gripped the imagination of the American political left. So we suddenly had this cultural phenomenon translated into politics.
Speaker 2: Very interesting. I want to let our remind our audience out there. Special guest today is always here on the Cull to Rights radio show, but today indeed Ladies and Amazon, and I think goes right to the core of some of the basic problems that I think are rampant across America and maybe all the places around the world. Our special guest is Peter Wood, the president of the National Association of Scholars, an author of the book I'm holding in my hands here, a brand new Encounter Books book entitled Wrath America in Rage. He joins us from his offices in New York City. Peter just described to us, in case people may not really have a firm grip on this, you're an anthropologist by training. What's interesting and looking at how social things happened between different people and cultures and where we all came from way back in the Cosmic soup. But I wonder if you could just give us a simple explanation in your opinion of what the difference is between anger and wrath, and from what I'm reading in your book, obviously anger can transmute to the concept of wrath. Talk a little bit about that if you will. Well.
Speaker 1: I say early on in the book that the difference between anger and wrath is anger says, ah, how dare you? And wrath says I'm going to obliterate you. The difference is partly one of intensity, but it's also partly one of whether you are entertaining a hope for reconciliation at the end of this. Anger, even when it's red hot, usually expects there's going to come a time when I'm no longer angry, that we will settle things one way or the other. Raff no longer expects that. It just says you have gone so far that I have no choice now but to do whatever I can to obliterate you, just to take you out. That sometimes results in literal obliteration. People shoot each other, that they do terrible things. I think in the political realm it means we can no longer compromise. There's no ground here for us to find a common ground at all. And to that end, it's a winner take all situation that I think describes where we are in America right now. The Left and I see no place at all in which they can reasonably meet. The people who call for a middle ground seem kind of weak and foolish that they don't truly understand what either side is saying. There is no real compromise between communism and the free market. There's no real middle ground between the fighting that we're going to be a nation with borders or a nation without borders. That's the place where we vended up. And it's clearly not just conceptual difference. These are passionately felt. The differences deep and powerful resentments on both sides, and out of those resentments them's a willingness to set aside the usual restrictions on how we behave towards people we disagree with.
Speaker 2: Well, Peter, I think this book again should be in every college curriculum and maybe even down into the high school level, because this is where I think all this education needs to or the whole story that needs to be told here, even maybe even in younger ages need to understand this. And even if this book was maybe written for a more mature audience age wise, wouldn't you agree. I mean, this should be taught. And I have to ask you this as a professor, have you taught this specific subject as a topic in a classroom situation? And forgive me if I'm not picking up on that, but from an anthropologist view, has that been one of your classes that you actually teach this very subject of wrath?
Speaker 1: You know it has not. By the time I got seriously interested in this topic, I was already on my way out of higher education. I spent twenty five years in the classroom, and I since moved over into the nonprofit world. I do to kind of work now, which prease me. I am no longer having to worry about being canceled by administrators or fellow back the members who dislike what I have to say. So, while you're talking to a free spirit here, I like, have not had too many opportunities to go back in front of students, simply because I'm now known to be outside the reservation.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, talk to us about this. I mean, in your book, the many questions that you provide us. But I like to go deeper than that, because when you read these books, you know, I pick up some main themes out of every author that I get, and that's what I think every author tries to do. Maybe not every single point, but some, you know, resonate better with me. But concept here, I want to talk about this new anger and if you could define that a little better for this audience, because I find that most fascinating that anger was anger. But let's say in World War Two, when they was anger, how do we describe now today in our you know, post Trumpian world here with Biden in charge and the Democratic Party here in this country. And I'm not trying to attack them, I mean, how would you then describe the definition of new anger and how does it differentiate from the old?
Speaker 1: Well, the simplest way to defind new anger is that it's show off anger. The anger of times past always had about a certain holding back, a degree of reservation or even slight shame that being angry men, I'm no longer in control. But with what I call new anger, that element of hesitation is completely gone. People are celebrating their anger. They see it as empowering, as authentic, as bringing them applause, So you can perform anger now with the expectation that at least some of the people around you will clap and cheer. That is something new in America. On That kind of anger in which you win the support of your friends and try to take the breath away from you or pose a competitive sport of anger is what America has come to now. That might not sound to listeners as something that is especially new. If not, then I'd suggest a spending a few hours and going back and looking at movies of the pre nineteen fifties era. Think of Gary Cooper at High Noon, or any number of movies in which the lead character suffers insults and assaults but pulls himself back, refooses to engage until he's just pushed the limit, and then he'll react, but in a controlled way. That's gone. That's no longer our image of the hero or the protagonist. Now we go for the person who comes out guns blazing from the very start. This is a change in American temperament. It doesn't come automatically or overnight. That is, people have to be raised to expect that expressive anger is a virtue, not advice, and we have spent a couple of generations now teaching children to express themselves rather than to hold back their feelings. We are reaping the reward of that kind of social valuation of our emotions. If you think anger is what you need to do in order to be a full grown up person, you're probably going to get a lot more anger in your social life. And that's where we are well anger.
Speaker 2: Obviously, from the physiological side, I mean you and I would both agree, and I'm sure every person listening to this particular show, anger is never good for your health anyway. I mean, there's never any doctor that I've ever met, and I don't think you would doubt this that having anger in your system and theoretically do what called a stroke, heart attack and all that. We know that. But again, ladies and gentlemen, Peter Wood is our very special guest here. Great to have him here talking about a subject that really needs, in my opinion, Peter, to be taught at the mid levels and highest levels. And I think maybe through this particular program and what we find in your book, a brand new book from Encounter Books, Ladies and gentlemen, you can get that book where the good books are sold in counterbooks dot com. He's where this is archive the book entitled Wrath American Raged. But I want to go on to something here. You can tend here that some wrath you believe is justified. And I'm reading this the popular will of Americans, this is what you're saying, has been thwarted by a combination of career as deletes, progressive ideologues, an unprincipled press, and a business class more tuned to global opportunities than to domestic flourishing. Flourishing, that's powerful stuff, my friend, and I would have to agree with you. I would find it hard for anybody unless they're living in a cave, to really disagree with many of the things that you just stated. Please please continue and describe in detail how you believe some wrath is also justified.
Speaker 1: Well, I have written this book in a more political mode than any of my other scholarly work. I'm engaged myself, and that I found mischief that was part of the twenty twenty election very upsetting, but even more upsetting that we couldn't talk about it without being accused of being complicit in the Big Lie or something like that. So whatever evidence there was that the balloting was not completely on the up and up. I couldn't even be talked about, and that shutting down of public discussion me was a critical factor, and thinking I was no longer going to be the loose observer, I was going to be some kind of participant in this. Then came the January sixth riot in the capital, promptly hired by the mainstream press to be an insurrection with the Democrats and one voice declaring that yes, this was an attempt to overthrow the government, which made no immediate sense or any long term sense either, that if someone's being to overthrow the government, that it would at least show up with weapons and a plan, rather than an unruly crowd that wandered around and snapped selfies and in a few cases got into shoving matches. There was no real violence to speak of, except violence perpetrated by the capital police. And yet for all of this, we saw people thrown into prison for nine, ten eleven months, oftentimes without serious charges against them, and then manhandled and brutally treated in prison. That didn't sound like America to me. And this, of course comes on top of a whole lot of other things that have been occurring in the country that are upset many millions of people. I'm not going to say they're just Trump voters who got upset by this. I think a lot of this felt deeply grieved about how to pull out from Afghanistan was handled, or deeply grieved about what's happened on our southern border, the unleashing of inflation, and a kind of heedless attempt to rejigger all our elections in the future by allowing the kinds of things that occurred in twenty twenty to be imposed across the whole country by the will of Congress. Well, that hasn't happened yet, but not for lack of trying. These things add up to a sense, I believe among kinds of people I'm talking to about it, that we no longer have a self governed country, as the consent of the people who have a government has been overridden by an elite that is much more interested in meaning and paining power for itself. And that these are matters that I think rightly induced a sense of almost despair among people. That's been modified somewhat by the results of the elections in Virginia and some other places in the last month. But we are Nonetheless, I'd say at a stage feeling that something terrible has happened to our ability to be a self governed country and that something must be done about that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: That's more or less the psychological position or the state that I'm in when I wrote the book, and she continues to be foremost, how I think we are based as a country now with the prospects of going forward, we have, in my view, a deeply incompetent president, one who probably is suffering from psychological prayalty and worse, along with this kind of shadow government behind him which is using his peril of state opportunity to impose all sorts of rules by a mere pot rather than by the actual couldn't agreement.
Speaker 2: Pat, Yeah, I couldn't agree more. And I think as we move forward in the interview here, we only have a few more minutes with you today, but this is fascinating to me, and I'd like to spend more time with you in the future around this in a different format, but that we can talk about that privately. But for the people listening today, I just want to remind everybody our producer here, Richard Dugan Station CAZy SBA in Plus ninety and Santa Barbara, California appreciate his time and helping making this all happen. But for all of you out there in the Call to Rights audience, these are the things that they would be asking if they were doing this in a live format on the air. This is pre recorded. Ladies and gentlemen. You know, you write a response to the sixteen nineteen project, and I just wanted to see, you know, shame on people that they don't know too much about this, but not so much shame that they can't learn. Give us the main tenant that you disagree with in the sixteen nineteen project, because I think this has you know, we could spend hours talking with you about this and your response. Of course, as the opposite side of the equation, what's the biggest offensive thing that you find in the sixteen nineteen project that the listeners would weally need to know about.
Speaker 1: Well, if I had to say just one thing, I would say the sixteen nineteen project paints a false picture of American history by treating slavery absolutely central to every development that has ever occurred, political, economic, religious, or otherwise. But if you want to take it down to basic facts, slavery didn't begin in Virginia in sixteen nineteen. It was a world wide institution before that. It happens that there was no slavery in Virginia, and slaves brought there by parrots in that year actually were set free. They served as indentured servants and then were given their own freedom and went on to integrate with the rest of the people in Jamestown. Because the sixteen nineteen Project claims that the American Revolution was fought by the Patriots in order to sustain these the institution of slavery, there's not a shred of historical evidence that supports that claim. That's preposterous. At the New York Times, Nicole Hannah Jones not only laid it out in her original one hundred page statement in the New York Times magazine, but has now produced a six hundred page book in which she repeats it. So there's no backing down on the part of these people. They also claim, for example, that Abraham Lincoln fought the Revolutionary War for racist reasons, he wanted to exile American blacks abroad, and that the More was fought really for the purpose of segregation and exclusion. He says, or she says that the Blacks have fought all their battles alone over the course of centuries. That too, is preposterous. Abolitionist movement was largely a white one, the civil rights movement was thoroughly integrated, and so on. In many cases, the sixteen nineteen project is a kind of long, long list of falsehood's errors, not accidental, but deliberate, because they're there to support a direct political line to the idea that Nicole Hannah Jones wants to see billions of dollars in reparations paid the Blacks, and she needs to soften up the American public of this strong sense of guilt to achieve this political goal. So it's a con it's the effort to trick people into believing something is true, which is the thought true.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad that people like yourself out there, Peter, and on this radio show, just to give you a little back background, for fifteen years, we've been talking with the audience, not at the audience, about American exceptionals or constitutional bull of rights, and always stressing to this audience that we are a constitutional republic and not just to continue to hear the blather of democracy, democracy, democracy and I'm sure with what I understand from what I've read in your book, and I think I can get the picture that you be obviously more right side conservative towards the Constitution and the rule of law. My big fear here, and I just wanted you to comment on this as we close out the show in just about a few minutes here, But you're always welcome back here, sir in the live version where we can get the callers involved too. Is that this I'm concerned and not worried about groups like Black Lives Matter. I have not a racist bone in my body, and I'm sure you do not either. What we're hearing here, and I look deep into this, the allegations of Maoist and you know, very very communist tendencies for violence and things of this nature. I mean, it's just going to be to the point where where people in America obviously are going to reach a tipping point. And I hope that their anger doesn't go to wrath, because it seems like in many people's estimation, God forbid, if we were to even get into a secondary thing called a civil war. I wondered what you might advise people out there, What can the average citizen do hearing all this bladder that comes from mainstream media about how everybody on this side of the equation, if you're more of a conservative constitutionalist, that were either racist, or if some foreign country their foreign planet. I mean, it's concerning to everybody. What can average people do to protect themselves from what seems to becoming Well, there are.
Speaker 1: A number of things that can be done. I would start by saying, be as politically engaged as you possibly can be. That is your parent, go and show up at school board meetings. If you're being ordered by state authorities to do things that you think are wrong or dangerous, refuse to do them civil disobedience. As part of this, I strongly urge you to exercise your Second Amendment right be armed and know how to use your arms. That I would ever want to incite any kind of violence, but I think having an armed citizenry is a powerful protection against usurpation by authorities that mean to disuse their power. We are a constitutional republic. Know the laws, obey the laws. At least bay of the laws that you know are rounded in do judicial process, and are not just usurpations by people who want to steel power for themselves. Those are the basic things to do. You've got to be smart, thing got to be able, and those two things go together.
Speaker 2: Sure, these words are very important. I want to thank you so much for being part of this culture, writes episode again, Ladies andentlemen, thank you the listeners for being with us for over fifteen years. As you've heard me say many times and proud to say it. We talk about our constitution, a bill of rights, that we are a constitutional republic. And what Peter Wood is talking about here, he's not looking to inflame us. He's looking to say, Hey, there's the story and the connectivity between anger and wrath. And I believe from what he's saying in the book, and you'll get the message loud and clear if you do get a copy of this book again entitled Raff American Rage Peter W. Wood, he's the author. Go to Encounter books dot com, or for that matter, right Peter, wherever good books are sold, and I'm sure all over Amazon this book is found at the speed of light. I want to thank you, sir for being part of this radio show, and I hope you'll come back in a time when we do many town hall forums. And I think your conversational topic today belongs equally up on a giant zoom screen with an audience of people that I'm sure would like to even ask questions. So if you'd mind, can that in the future, we'd love to have you as part of the team. I'd be happy to do that. Thank you, Thank you very much. That concludes this interesting edition is always at least not in my mind, but in your mind as you tell us who like the radio show so much. Again, I want to thank our producer, doctor d Richard Dugan, Radio Station KZSB. That's AM twelve ninety in that beautiful hamlet of Santa Barbara, California, doing the honors of producing this particular episode. And I always remind everybody out there, I always remember this, refuse to be a victim, because one a victim is amply someone with no options. Again, always think yourself, ladies and gentlemen, because what is what happens if you don't you become a victim. A victim is a please someone with no options. Always fight back legally and responsibly. We'll see you next week on a Call to rights as we wish each and every one of you the best of the holiday season. A happy Honka, i'm urry Christmas and happy Holidays, and again, thank you Peter Wood for being our special guest here on a Whole to Rights with me, Steve Kates, if you'd be so kind enough sort to stay on the line as we go to the heartbreak here on the radio show. Thank you, Peter. We hear
Speaker 1: Mm hmm