Speaker 1: NFL Draft coverage on the radio program begins right at six o'clock when we say good night here on the show, so stay tuned for that. Not a lot of intrigue at the top, even Vegas has overwhelming odds in the direction of cam Ward being the selection from Tennessee.
Speaker 2: And then we'll see what happens after that.
Speaker 1: But our next guest knows what this day is like for these young men waiting to hear their name called. One of the best players that we've ever had in state from the University of Utah entering a sixth season in the NFL with Cincinnati. Friend of the show Zach Moss, on a draft day Thursday, Zach, Happy Thursday, man.
Speaker 2: How you doing good?
Speaker 3: Good man, how are you well?
Speaker 2: I appreciate your time.
Speaker 1: I want you to take us back to your draft day and tell us what that was like. What did you do, who were you with, and how did you handle the emotions of a day that change your life.
Speaker 2: Zach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a great day, man. Honestly, you know, my year was different doing COVID, so didn't get it opportunity to do a bigger thing and stuff like that, but still was surrounded by loved ones and things of that nature. But you know, in the day, no matter what, you know, just hearing your name called flash across TV and things of that nature something you definitely never forget for sure.
Speaker 1: When did you know that it was going to be Buffalo? When were you told that the bills were taking you in the third round.
Speaker 3: Of Literally probably two three minutes before you know, came up on a TV and things like that. They called me and let me know that they were going to select me there in the third round with their pick and stuff like that. It was crazy because I didn't know where I was going to go. I didn't even really have Buffalo on my radar. Like I said, it was COVID, so you know, all the top thirty visits and all these different things that you have to go do as draftees. I didn't get atence to do any of that. So it was literally just up in the air and seeing who was going to select me. Whenever they did, Wow.
Speaker 1: Just a couple of minutes before. So now I've got to know what the emotions were like when you heard your name, Like we you know, all of us at some point if you're in the business or if you're listening to sports talk radio. There's a chance that most everybody dreamed of doing what you still do to this day and having a moment like hearing your name called during the NFL Draft.
Speaker 2: What was that moment like for you, zach.
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know it was it was definitely surreal to some degree. You know, I think I've always worked, you know, pretty hard to put myself in it to give myself an opportunity to be able to hear my name called, So you know when I did hear it called, it was it was definitely surreal, But you know, it felt like a good moment of validation of all the work I've done and you know, the things I had to overcome and all those different type of things. So just hearing my name was like a validation in that moment, Like I didn't get really emotional and things like that because I moved, still a lot of work to do. Six years later, I'm still trying to do that work to you know, do the things I really want to do in life.
Speaker 2: And you continue to do it.
Speaker 1: And there was some news that broke a couple of days ago that you and the Bengals agreed to terms where you've restructured your deal a little bit, So tell us what that process has been like. And also, most importantly, Zach, I probably buried the lead. You're not supposed to do that in this business. How are you doing. How is your health?
Speaker 4: I'm doing good, man, Just you know, taking the day by day and you know, just doing the best I can do to be ready for the end of the year in the league and things like that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, restructure the deal to come back to Cincinnati. You know, got a lot of good people there and we got a really good team. So decided to be a part of that process again with those type of people.
Speaker 2: What do you guys?
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the Bengals for a moment, because last year it was just strange. You know, you ended the season on a wild run because there and you know this, there is so much talent in your locker room and so ultimately, when you start out the season, you're not winning football games.
Speaker 2: And you know, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of this it is another defensive side of the ball because you obviously have Burrow, you get those two wide receivers back, and you've got a great running back room. You know, obviously you among the three backs that will be running and blocking for the Bengals coming up this year. But how would you articulate how last year went and what are you guys hoping to accomplish this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, last year it was tough, man. I think us being so young on the deeper side of the ball, it was just one of those years where it felt like no matter what you kind of did right, something always kind of went wrong. And playing in that division AFC north Man, you've got to be ready to go each and every week. It's a it's a real tough physical division. I mean you factor in the weather in those cities and stuff like that as well, and you know, it was it was just a hard year. We got a lot of good quarterbacks in that division as well. But I think it's a good learning curve. I mean, you saw a lot of guys have you know, great individual years, which was nice and crazy to see. I mean you got to see I got to see Borough play at the high level, chase at the high level, and things of that nature. So I think, you know, everyone coming back, uh, you know, and getting another year on our belt with those guys, you know, it's gonna be a lot of interesting things. That's gonna be able to happen for us this season. That just didn't go out way last year. You know, sometimes you don't get the ball to spin your way, and you know we we dealt with that a lot last year. But I think the way we competed throughout that year, you know, there was never gains where we just laid it down, always competitive as a team. So that's that's huge, right when you're thinking about it, you look back at that year and finish it out, finished it out strong. So definitely looking forward to getting that UH cohesion this together this season and you know, give him our best shot again.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask you kind of a little bit of a fanboy question, which I never do, but I you know, you hear a lot of people talk about the best wide receivers in the NFL, and there's a lot of Justin Jefferson. There's a lot of Tyreek when he's healthy. There's a lot of aj Brown.
Speaker 2: I I I think it's.
Speaker 1: I think it's jamar I think it's jamar Ja. I've got to know what it's like. And look, you're a top man athlete yourself, so I'm sure you never in awe of any of your peers but he seems to be a unicorns unicorn. He seems to be one of one. What's it what's it like to watch him day to day do what he does?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's different, man. Honestly, I think you know I was. I was tell people like, he didn't even play during the preseason, and he didn't do anything in training camp. He didn't do anything in the offseason program. Right.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Usually, you know when you see guys go out there and perform at the love what they do, they've done a training camp which gets them in tune and with the playbook, you know, his quarterback and all those different type of things. I mean, the guy didn't even have to do any of that to go out there and have the type of season he did. When he thought about the triple crown was it was crazy to see I played with a lot of really good receivers and you know, a guy like Diggs our first year in Buffalo, him having a career year and stuff like that, and to see what Jamar does, you know, and the way he does it is so nonchalant, it's not like it's not even really trying. And to see him shred up so many defenses and like I said, playing in that division, you kind of almost respect it even more just because you're going against top defenses weekend and week out. And we had a really good schedule this season when it comes to the terms of who we played and the guys that he had to line up in front of and things like that. So I mean, like you said, he's a unicorns in the corn when you think about just the fact that Demand didn't even do training camp and just went out there and just ball, which is crazy to see.
Speaker 1: Additionally, a lot of debates about who the best quarterback is in pro football, and of course fifteen in Kansas City probably continues to hold that moniker, But I don't know where you put Joe, But there aren't a lot of quarterbacks i'd want ahead of Joe Burrow. And look, Zach, as you know, in this game at any level, but especially in pro football, if you don't have one of the laite dudes under center, you might as well not even kick off. But having Joe Burrow under center, that's got to give you the belief in that organization that you have a shot to do anything possible as special as any other team in this year this year with him under center, is that Is that accurate to say?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely. I mean you're talking about one of the best receivers in the league. I mean quarterbacks in the league could be stepped in and this season come up of a risk injury and leading the league in yards and touchdowns is crazy. You know, it's throwing risks at that and to be able to come back from that and look as seemless as he did. That was really special to see that from him. But uh, you know, I think you have a guy like that, Like you said, if you don't have one of those top guys in this league, which he is, it's gonna be really really hard to win a lot of games. And fortunate I've been able to play with, you know, two guys that are really really good at what they do. So that's that's been just a blessing, just being able to play with guys who play the game at a high lovel future Hall of famers.
Speaker 2: So you were at the Forever twenty two game.
Speaker 1: It was fun to see you hanging out with Devin and Mackay and a bunch and Britain Covey in town as well. How connected do you stay to the program, Zach And what was it like to be up there for the spring game last Saturday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm always around, man. I think I try to, you know, be in tune with those guys as much as I can be. And you know, finally being back because I was only able to be back last year one time for all home game, which I hadn't been too long since I left, you know, so that was really cool than being out there this past weekend. That was also cool just to see, you know, the football and being in the stadium the game and stuff like that, and seeing the coaches do what they do best. But I, I say, interlock with the school as much as I can. And I live here now, so you know, I think anytime I'm able just to be around the game for one and then be around you know, people with familiar faces that I know in the program that has helped me tremendously. I think it's always a good thing for sure.
Speaker 1: Last year was a year that nobody was expecting, certainly nobody in the media and I know nobody in the locker room. I know the standards up there are very, very high and have been for quite some time.
Speaker 2: What would you say to youth fans tuning in today?
Speaker 1: Your belief that a bounce back year two in the Big Twelve as possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they've They've done it right within the sense of you know, I think the quarterbacks are going to be really really good. You add a dual threat quarterback like that, it's gonna make it real hard and it helps to the running game tremendously, which is gonna beautiful for the new running back also that they have, so that's nice. And the solid defense that that we play over there at Utah, you know, with coach Scalley and Coach Wayde leading the way over that side. When you add a dual threat quarterback, a really good running back as well, that's come in as well, you're gonna be able to control the ball and play the style that they want to. And I think, you know, like I said, I think the quarterbacks gonna be really just I've seen what he was able to do. I think it's at New Mexico State, so excited to see what he can do with these guys and the coaching staff. And I think obviously bringing on his officer coordinator from his last school as well, keeps that familiarity there. It should be a pretty seamless uh transition for him. Hopefully you know, these guys can uh put it together and you know, injured a part of the game. Just hopefully that you know, they don't get hit with that buzz again for sure.
Speaker 1: So you've gone on to have a really good pro football career, and of course we'll all cheer for you to play as long as you possibly can. And so somebody like you, when you look, when you look at nil and transfer portal, it probably doesn't sting as much because you've achieved success. I mean, I'm sure you would have liked to make money when you're in college, as all of us would have liked.
Speaker 2: I'm not alluding to anything other than that.
Speaker 1: But as somebody who was an athlete, very good athlete, good football player prior to NIL and the transfer portal and follows the sport and follows the program, how do you think those two those two things have changed the sport the most?
Speaker 3: Okay, man, I think that's the biggest thing is like, you know, he used to not saying that it's not there, but it's definitely fading away a bit in the sense of, you know, he used to want to care about you know, the logo on the side of your helmet, you know, and putting on for your school and things of that nature, and wanting to be a all the you know, being alumni at school and things like that when you graduate. I think now, which you can't fault the kids to some degree, uh, you know when you talk about the money and setting yourself up for the future, you know, because there's only so many guys that can go to the NFL for one coming out of college. You know, if I broke down the numbers on that, it's just obviously a lot of people, know it's crazy on how many people play college football, college sports period and aren't able to make it to that pro level. Even if you are able to make it to that pro level, the chances of you, you know, having a full career and things of that nature, it's already hard when you think about that type of stuff. So you know, obviously them taking advantage of NIL is a good thing. I think hopefully, you know, we can they can just get a cap on it and you know, really control it the best that they can so that they get you know that the schools don't lose as much and you know, the people would the biggest pocketbooks don't just throw money at these kids, and you know, they just jump school to school and don't really build that brotherhood that they are going to you know, really love and depend on at some point. So I think that's the biggest thing.
Speaker 1: Do you pay attention at all to any of the back and forth between Utah and bu Yu fans complaining about the other teams poaching their players?
Speaker 2: Do you pay attention at.
Speaker 3: At all that? I don't pay attention to it. It does pop up on my social media here and there, just like because I'm just so into them, you know, with the school and different accounts and things like that. But it's crazy, for sure, but it is, you know, a big part of it, which you can't really, like I said, be upset at these kids for wanting to take advantage of that. But it does destroy the loyalty part of it, where you can just jump schools and go different places and do different things and it's not much a thing about behind it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like you said, you can't blame the players, and look, Zach, the bottom line here, love it or hated, college football has become very transactional, right, and so the only way to handle these ebbs and flows is to remove your emotion, but as you know, it's hard to ask fans to remove their emotions, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's the human element to all of it. So yeah, it's gonna be hard, absolutely, but like I said, hopefully, you know it's they can figure out a way to make it more, you know, even around all the schools that way, you know, it doesn't love you don't love the integrity of the college support game, which I think is you know, has been so great for so long for a reason, and it's definitely time for the athletes to get paid. But there's always better ways to do a lot of different things in life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said one more thing in this space, and then ironically enough, I get to ask you about a former teammate of yours at Utah who's going through the process. So we'll get there in the moment. Like I said, you've gone onto the NFL. You know, you've had a really good career and you'll continue to. But I wonder through conversations that you have with with ex teammates at Utah who didn't have an opportunity to go make money playing pro football, do you feel like there's resentment?
Speaker 2: Do you feel like there's bitterness.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like there's anger that they were not able to play and benefit off of their name, image and likeness while they were playing at college college football?
Speaker 2: Utah.
Speaker 3: Uh. You know, I think you definitely are going to have those emotions to some degree. And I think that's fair when you think about putting your body on the line the way you do, and you know, and all that type of stuff. So I think that's fair to have those emotions. And I'm sure some guys do. I know I've had them even though I've been able to go in the NFL and uh do some things in that in that realm and things like that as well. Uh, But you know, I think long lasting wise, I don't think so. But you know, it's like I said, it's fair to have that because it is something that would have been great to a lot of guys. Because it's just like I said, it sets you up at a certain age twenty one, twenty two years old with an X amount of dollars right you do it correctly and things like that. It's a big blessing financially to take care of yourself and even people you love depending on you know, however much you made or whatever, but it is what it is. You know, it just wasn't the timing didn't didn't work out, and that's you know, obviously that's fair in the sense of, you know, you just were born a little too early and that's when they decided to do it. But but yeah.
Speaker 2: Now it's a good perspective, all right.
Speaker 1: The twenty nineteen Utah football team, in my estimation, is as talented, was as talented, is as talented as any team that we've ever.
Speaker 2: Had in the state.
Speaker 1: I believe that that includes two thousand and four, in two thousand and eight, the undefeated teams, and you played with Brant Keithy and Brand Keithy. Of course, prior to Dalton King, Kid was thought to be the better NFL tight end prospect because back before Brand had his injury issues, he was really dynamic. Uh, he's going through the process and I don't know that he'll be drafted and hopefully he can just get healthy and somebody gives him a look.
Speaker 2: But what sort of NFL player do you think Bran Keithy could make.
Speaker 3: You know, like you said, he's very dynamic when he was healthy. I think that's the main thing is getting into the NFL for one, and being able to stay healthy. He's a guy who can do a lot of different things, and you know, in NFL is about you know, sticking around. You know, it's really hard to stick around that lead. So you know, him being an athlete that he is at especially at that position, I think, you know, you don't always just have to catch passes. Is the more you can do in NFL, it's what allows you to have a really good career. They have the longevity you might want, so you know, I think going in with an open mind, maybe it's not fifty catches you know, a year anymore or something like that. Maybe it's special teams and different things of that nature, especially when you've been able to be a player who's had the type of career he's had in a sense of production in college. So I think that's the biggest thing for him. It's just you know, hey, it's you know, not drafted or or drafted. You know, it doesn't matter when you get in. It's just getting in and staying. And that's the biggest thing because it's a lot of guys that go early rounds that don't play for a long time, and there's guys that do play for a long time that didn't go draft, that went undrafted, So I think once you get past that, and then just being healthy and you know, being available, and then you know, having that flexibility which he have athletic wise for sure, and then just going out there and taking advantage of each and every day.
Speaker 1: Before I said you lose, Bengals are at seventeen and throughout the course of the draft, what are you hoping that your current team adds so you guys can take another step?
Speaker 3: Man, I think you know you need that to those guys for sure. I always do. Everybody think about it, but you know they know best in the sense of what the team needs in that moment in time, like for us to go out and compete at a high level. So you know, whatever whoever they choose, man, it was going to open our doors and you know, invite them in and make sure he's comfortable and you know, ready to work and get this thing back on track and put Bengals back on top where we were just a few years ago.
Speaker 1: All right, Man, besides working out, besides rehabbing and getting healthy, what's the Zach Moss off season? You're gonna get some trips in do you swing a golf club? What do you like to do in your downtown?
Speaker 3: Well, I got another little kid on the way, bretty girl. Yeah, So I'm chilling man getting raised for that and you know, get excited for that, and that's the main thing right now.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm up to, all right, man, Well that's the good stuff. Congratulations on that. You know that you always have a home here, So stay healthy and be well.
Speaker 3: Okay, absolutely, my man, appreciate you having me on, all right.
Speaker 1: Zach Moss truly one of the best football players we've ever ever had in State. I talk about that twenty nineteen team all the time. Unfortunately it didn't end the way that we all thought it could. But when you look at that roster top to bottom, and I think Zach was the best player on the team. I know he's running back and a bunch of other good players on both sides of the ball. Pack twelve Offensive Player of the Year that year, First Team All Pack twelve, third round draft pick from Buffalo entering his sixth season in the NFL.
Speaker 2: That's wild to think about that, our guy.
Speaker 1: Zach has been doing this five years and he's entering his sixth year. It seems like he was just here like yesterday.
Speaker 5: It is crazy time certainly flies. As he mentioned, he was part of the COVID year draft class. Everything since then, timing wise, feels a little blurry, so maybe.
Speaker 2: That's part of it.
Speaker 5: But yeah, man, one of the best players in the programs history. You mentioned it, the state's history as far as what they did at at the college level, and to go in and now keep doing it at the NFL level. Proud of Zach. Can love seeing it as it continues to grow. Got to get healthy, for sure, Cincinnati. That's that's the story this year. Yeah, Zach had a neck injury. It limited him to I think eight games. Yeah, eight games last year. But he's in that running back room with Chase Brown. They brought in Samiji Pierne, right, I think it's those three at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the running back room. So only wishing good things for our guys. Zach appreciate his time today. We'll get back to some draft stuff. He'll forget after we say good night. Right about six o'clock, we'll launch into our NFL Draft coverage. We are your home for the NFL Draft here in this market, so no reason for you to go anywhere. Zach stops spot today courtesy of our friends at IFA Country Stores. Any drive to the basket begins with the first step on the court. That's the ultimate power move Ifa. Step one crabgrass Preventer and their lawn food that's the first choice to give your yard the healthy green look you admire.
Speaker 2: The neighbors will be green with envy.
Speaker 1: Shop IFA online, at IFA dot co op er stop by one of their neighborhood stores today