Speaker 1: Welcome aboard Bus one. We're taking a shortcut through New York City and we've got some time to kill. Let's play some trivia gamers. Introduce yourselves. Hello, what's up everyone? It's a.
Speaker 2: Hey, how's it going. I'm Steven.
Speaker 3: Howdy?
Speaker 1: Sorry they made you do that. Well, I've got another musical artist shortcut for you today. Our topic is a Bobby Darren. I love Bobby Darren. We were talking about Bobby Darren in the last musical shortcut and so it inspired me to make a Bobby Darren shortcut.
Speaker 2: Can I say how glad I am that it's as three can test it's here today? And the comments I've seen this, they've been calling us the Dark Triad.
Speaker 1: Really, Sharon, can you confirm that, Sharon.
Speaker 2: I've been reading this.
Speaker 4: Sharon's actually been calling us the Dark try it.
Speaker 2: They've been calling us the Trees in this trio.
Speaker 4: Is this the first appearance of the Dark Triad?
Speaker 2: Well, we were on the Riddles episode together, but you were the well no, it wasn't you as the host.
Speaker 4: It was the Quiddler.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Whizzler. I hate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all Miamis hate the Quizzler.
Speaker 4: But he reminded me if you aiden, thanks.
Speaker 1: Let's let's go over the rules. So there are two rounds, each with four questions, not as long as a typical episode. Questions in round one are worth one point. Questions in round two are with two points. Each question will be multiple choice, and I'll give everyone the opportunity to answer before revealing the correct answer. So in theory, all three of you can get a question right, or all three of you can get a question wrong.
Speaker 4: Super is going to do a full sweep.
Speaker 1: I'm calling it streame.
Speaker 3: Amounts of Bobby Darren.
Speaker 1: I've heard you've just been put on though, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, a friend recently showed me Bobby Darren. I'm super excited to delve much deeper into.
Speaker 5: The world of Bobby Darren recently. I can count on my fingers how many minutes ago.
Speaker 1: The only thing I beg is try not to base your answer off to someone else's. Try to come up with the answer in your mind and then and then say it please. I'm begging. I'm begging. However, if you know the answer to a question right away, you can yell snipe. If you get it dead on, you get the points and everyone else loses the opportunity to answer, and if you get wrong, you can't answer the question again. There's no challenge question. There's never challenge question in these shortcuts. Most points wins as always were not as always as most of the time. And of course no googling. That sounds sound good. Everyone sounds good.
Speaker 4: Snipe only runs Stephen.
Speaker 2: We'll see, we'll see. I think some of these questions, well, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Well let's start round one. Four questions each worth one point. All right. Question one. Walden Robert Casado was born in East Harlem, New York City, in nineteen thirty six. He was the second born child of Vivian Polly Fernwalden. At least, that's what Bobin thought for most of his life until he turned thirty two, when Polly told him a life shattering truth about his true origin. What was that truth? Snipe, Oh, snipe.
Speaker 4: I did know this about Bobby Darrek.
Speaker 6: The woman he thought of as his mom is actually his grandmother, and then like his sister, his actual mom.
Speaker 4: It was one of those things.
Speaker 1: That is correct.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's like one of those weird things like you see those on like TV or something like that, and that's an actual Bobby.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. So whom Darren thought was his older sister, Nina was actually his mother. Anita had Bobby when she was just eighteen years old old. She and Polly took the secret of Bobby's father's identity to the grave. Actually, so Bobby Darren never learned the identity of his father, whoa until or even up to his death, but years later he was identified as a gangster.
Speaker 2: That's probably why.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's interesting. I didn't know that A little tit bit.
Speaker 1: Nice job, Aiden, You get the point, man, what a snipe? That's Could you imagine Could you imagine, man, your your your mom sits you down and says, hey, actually i'm your grandma and your sister is your mother. That would be crazy.
Speaker 3: That would agree, like I have a sister.
Speaker 6: But also like at the point where how much age difference is there between eighteen years or did you say that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was eighteen years when she had him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so if you have a sister that's like eighteen years older than you, that's true.
Speaker 1: How probably moved away?
Speaker 2: Like something here is fishy?
Speaker 1: Well, I guess the one thing I couldn't find was how involved Nina was in the raising of Bobby in that did she stay at home or did she like do other things while her mother I don't know that for sure, but.
Speaker 2: Interesting, probably like one of those like classic teenage pregnancy things where it's like the grandmother is like really the parent?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: Classic?
Speaker 4: Would you say his name was?
Speaker 1: His full name is Walden Robert Cassato. Before we move on to the next question, let me give you the wrong choices that I was about to give you because some of them were a little funny. Hey, Bobby had been secretly adopted by Polly because he was the result of a priest in a nun's illicit affair. B Polly was actually Bobby's aunt, and his mother had been killed by his father, who was a gangster. And then the other wrong answer was Polly found Bobby as a baby left on her doorstep, and she decided to take Bobby in as her own.
Speaker 4: Interesting. Those are all very good.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go to question two. Now. I want to talk a little bit about the elephant in the room. So we're going to go way, We're going to go way Forwarday, So before we go over his life and career, let's take a step back and let's look at it as a whole. So we of course know that Bobby Darren's life was not long, as he would die at the age of thirty seven. Unfortunately, what you might not know is he was actually aware of that possibility. Darren was born rather frail and with serious health effects, mainly rheumatic fever, so he grew up knowing actually that he might not live long. He heard from his doctor. I think he overheard that he was to die, most likely at the age of sixteen. Wow, So he knew as a small child that he wasn't going to live very long. But obviously he lived older than sixteen, and so many people, including myself, kind of subscribed to the theory that the reason why throughout the course of his career he did a wide variety of different genres and styles of music is because he kind of knew that his life wasn't going to be super long, and so he wanted to try and do a bunch of different things and have mastery over a bunch of different kinds of music.
Speaker 3: HM.
Speaker 1: Anyways, along those lines, here's the question too of the following musical styles, which is one that Bobby did not make an album of interesting So he did a bunch of different genres. Which of the following did he not make an album of A an operatic album, be a folk album, see a jazz or big band album, D A gospel album, or E a country album.
Speaker 6: Now that you say that Bobby Darren's voice for opera, if that exists, I would love to hear that.
Speaker 4: Is that. I feel like it would work very well.
Speaker 1: Opera, folk, jazz, slash, big band, gospel, and country.
Speaker 4: He never did.
Speaker 1: He never did. Jazz never happened.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say folk music.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't know a lot of older artists did like gospel stuff. But you know, I think maybe the gospel one, you know, that would be easy to throw in if you didn't do that. Okay, So I'm gonna say maybe hiding in plain sight?
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I think?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 3: Gospel? To me felt like, you know, there's no way.
Speaker 5: But then maybe that's the reason why, Like that's a little like misdirect over there.
Speaker 3: So just a game series wise, I was thinking.
Speaker 5: Either opera or folk, and I'm a big fan of that. I don't want to choose the same one as you, So I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: Opera and is correct, he should do he should get on that.
Speaker 6: Actually, yeah, they could do opera.
Speaker 1: No he so he did gospel pretty soon after he So the last thing that he did actually was gospel was after I think the order effectively was rock and roll, jazz, country folk, and then.
Speaker 4: Gospel, rock and roll like Aerosmith.
Speaker 1: No, not like Aerosmith. Don't get me started. Don't get me start. Oh, I'm getting rage bated before I get rage bated. Let's move on to question three. Early on, Bobby showed a talent for music. By the time he was a teenager, he could play several instruments. He graduated from the prestigious Bronx High School of Science and then enrolled at Hunter College and soon gravitated to the drama department. After only two semesters, he dropped out to pursue a career in Broadway and recording music. He started out writing uncredited jingles and songs actually, then negotiated a short contract with Decca Records. When he started working with Decca, he took on the name Bobby Darren. But what inspired the name Darren? So Bobby comes from his middle name, Robert. But where did Darren come from?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Where did he get his Where did he get his stage name? That's my question for where did Darren come from? Is it a Bobby borrowed the surname of his high school music teacher, who encouraged his love for music. B a local DJ, recommended the name because he thought his real name was too ethnic sounding. See he was inspired by a Chinese restaurant sign that said Mandarin, but the man was out or d. It was a variation of daring to make his sound his name sound more exciting.
Speaker 4: He's Bobby exciting.
Speaker 3: That was my guess.
Speaker 5: Actually, if I were to say that, I would have guessed something closer to d something that Bobby Daring.
Speaker 4: The restaurant sign is so funny. But I'm going to say it's the ethnic sounding radio.
Speaker 1: DJ, right, the racist DJ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I know that. For example, Leonardo DiCaprio, like before his career started, like his Hollywood like guy who was like trying to get him apart, was like, you need to have a stage name that sounds more English because Leonardo DiCaprio is like too ethnic. Frank, Yeah, yeah, a lot of like Allian people early on, and like the thing, we're like, you have to change your name.
Speaker 1: Right, we're talking about Italian people in New York City right now, just a just a nick.
Speaker 2: I mean, if no one's choosing the Mandarin one, I got to choose one of you is correct, and it is Stephen.
Speaker 1: It was so there was a there was a Chinese restaurant sign like that he always passed by and the man was out, so just said Darren and he's like, oh, that would be a good last name.
Speaker 6: Did you know that? That's actually how Stephen got his name. His name is actually just Steve. And then he walked by a Chinese restaurant and said Mandarin.
Speaker 4: But only the end was.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm taking that genius, genius, Stephen. You get a point like right now we're even Stephen even.
Speaker 2: A lot like Bobby Darren that I'm also gonna die in a blaze of glory.
Speaker 4: Steven's doing a mastery of many different trivia job.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, let's let's potentially break the break the tie here with question four. All right. Darren eventually ended up at Atlantic Records at CO subsidiary, where he wrote and arranged music for himself and others. He created his first album, simply entitled Bobby Darren One song from the album that Darren co wrote was so popular and successful that it launched his career. Reportedly, he was actually dared by a friend to write a song with this particular premise. This song reached number three on the US Pop Singles Chart and number two on the R and B best Seller's Chart. What was the song that launched Bobby Darren's career?
Speaker 4: Can I sty it can split splash babe?
Speaker 1: That is correct split splash? So yeah. Reportedly, his friend he had a friend who dared him. He said, I bet you can't write a song that has splitch splash that was taking a bath in it, And he did it and it became his biggest hit at the fact.
Speaker 4: That's the title.
Speaker 2: The novelty song launched him.
Speaker 1: To write his career. Yeah, launched his career, gave him kind of more freedom to record what he wanted to.
Speaker 4: That's pretty awesome. Yeah, that's a good song too.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, nice jot, Aiden, You get the point and that is the end of round one.
Speaker 2: So let's call aid in the sniper the sniper.
Speaker 1: What what's let's do a point check? How many points do you chef?
Speaker 4: Two?
Speaker 6: And they were both gained to be a snipe might I okay, it's it's Anybody's very very good.
Speaker 4: That's my nickname in the in the Terrible trio.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the dark tryad, dear Lord, stop trying to make fetch happen.
Speaker 2: Stephen, they call me the toy Maker's.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 6: If one bird it called Steven the toy baker. In the comments the podcast is over.
Speaker 1: No no, no no, don't let our haters win. Aiden, all right, I'm sorry, secret, but this is kind of a tradition that we have in between the two rounds. I always like to ask, what is your favorite Bobby Darren's song? And it's just no Aiden, when you start us up.
Speaker 4: I like a lot of Bobby Darren's music.
Speaker 6: I think my favorite song, I mean just from a sheerl longevity standpoint Somewhere Beyond the Sea, which I know is not his song, but it's a very good song.
Speaker 4: And then the other one that I like a lot is More.
Speaker 1: But I think I'm still see what's on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I discussed beforehand. I think mine is probably more. It's just like a perfect karaoke song. You know, there's not like a lot of dead time in it. You can go all over the range you can kind of change it up how you want. It's just a great song.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Somewhere Beyond the Sea does have that instrumental break where if you're doing it at karaoke, you just kind of gotta be like.
Speaker 1: Can you stand there?
Speaker 4: G it just start scatting? Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think during his rock and roll era, fan of dream.
Speaker 4: On Toasy, did someone someone.
Speaker 1: That's one of the songs, not dream I think you mean dream Lover, not Dreamy.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, No, he got confused because they're both rock and roll match.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're both very I had to change mine. I I forgot about this. It's not he did not write the song, but it's his rendition of this song I think really moves me every time I listen to it. It's Softly as I Leave You. His rendition of Softly as I Leave You is just gorgeous and it's made me cry like a couple of times.
Speaker 4: Listen to Wow.
Speaker 1: But I love Mac the Knife, I love Artificial Flowers. We'll get into those two songs later. And what is your favorite Bobby Darren song? Tell sharing in the comments on whatever platform you're listening on.
Speaker 2: Or call me the toy Maker.
Speaker 6: Don't call me, don't do it. My favorite Bobby dared sug is the toy Maker.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: Call me the Toymaker.
Speaker 4: That's your challenge.
Speaker 6: I challenge you to write a number one hit with the words I'm the toy Baker, the.
Speaker 3: Toker, and I make all the toys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there go. Who knows, you might might launch your career. You might launch your career.
Speaker 6: If that launches dude's career, I think that's more of a curse anything.
Speaker 1: Maybe his comedy career.
Speaker 3: The toy Maker, seed.
Speaker 1: Capital and a kind of goes hard. I'm not gonna kind of club.
Speaker 2: That's my evil persona member of the Dark Trian.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go into round two. This is four questions, each worth two points.
Speaker 4: Now you got your game is on.
Speaker 1: Here's question five. Splitsh Splash's success launched Darren's career. Dream Lover's success gave Bobby Darren the freedom to show off more of his skills and expand into new genres. From that freedom came his next album, That's All. From this album, we got one of Bobby Darren's most iconic songs, Mack the Knife. It had previously been sung by Louis Armstrong, but the song is actually quite older, being written in nineteen twenty eight. The original version of the song was not, however, the big band jazz piece that we know of it today.
Speaker 4: What was the.
Speaker 1: Song's original genre of music before Louis Armstrong then Bobby Darren recorded it?
Speaker 2: Okay, snipe, snipe? Oh, I do want to snipe.
Speaker 1: I did hear Aiden actually say it before you.
Speaker 4: But well that was just lag Okay.
Speaker 1: I will say.
Speaker 6: I think Stephen was going I was trying to get ahead of him, so I can just say something random, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, Well, no, I want to hear what you want to say.
Speaker 1: Okay, go ahead, Aiden, give it a guest, Mack the Knife.
Speaker 4: Original genre yeah, hip pop.
Speaker 1: Opera, No good, guess, Steven Well.
Speaker 2: I believe it was created for the Threepenny Opera, and more specifically, it was like the ballad of the Mac character, who is like the main character and also anti hero. And I do know the story behind it.
Speaker 1: Insane Okay, yes, yes, but what what's so it was a threepenny opera? You're correct? But what John? They didn't singing operatic music?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it wasn't. It was kind of like a ballad.
Speaker 1: There's a name, there's a word I'm really looking for here, Steve, you should have let me read out the options. Man, I'm not going to give it to you. You've got the secret, okay. One of options A was operatic, which I already said was wrong, said it. So you have three options. Now you've got this. Is it the rack time, cabaret or d folk?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 8: I don't think it's folk because even ballad, and you didn't.
Speaker 1: Know that is true? You're right folk? Is that it's a fifty to fifty rag time or cabaret. How much do you know about your history.
Speaker 5: Of Oh now I know, I don't know much about history of anything ever.
Speaker 3: That okay, I to extrapolate extreme, So I have.
Speaker 5: Mortal cabaret or rag time. If I did have to say cabaret, you are correct.
Speaker 1: Secret. I'm glad it is cabaret.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 1: So here's something that's really cool about it. It is a murder ballad from the Three Penny Opera, which was a Weimer era German cabaret show. A fun fact, but the song was actually a last minute addition to the show. That's what I was going to say, Yeah, which is pretty cool and that so it might not have ever happened. Another fun fact, but it is the kind of music and era that the Broadway Cabaret, The broad Show Cabaret is based off of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I wanted to say, for extrapolating on the last minute edition, it's because like the main actor who is going to play Mac, who is like the main character slash anti hero. He's like a serial killer in the play, but he's also like kind of a Robin Hood kind of like, oh, we're gonna redistribute, We're only.
Speaker 4: Going to serial kill the bad guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There, he was like kind of a diva, the actor, and he's like, I'm not going to play unless you make a ballad for my main.
Speaker 1: Character, right introduction. I think.
Speaker 2: So they threw it together in like five minutes and then that was the most popular song.
Speaker 6: How that song goes actually because it just kind of is like telling the story.
Speaker 2: And that's why he's Mac the Knife, that's why originally.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, interesting, we'll see if our editor can put a little snippet of the because I think you can find like the original song from the Cabaret.
Speaker 4: You should. You should send your editor a link to the Okay, I.
Speaker 1: Can do that. I can do that. Are you the editor? Okay, I can send you that link. But it's very interesting because like you think of Mac and the Knife, you think these huge you know, you think of horns, you think of but the cabaret music obviously sounds very different to that. So it's it's interesting hearing the song in a different context.
Speaker 6: Now that you say that, like the intro to the musical cabaret also sounds very Mac the Knife. There we go, there go, all right, Well, super at the nice job you get to.
Speaker 4: That's why they call him the equalizer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, damn it. Oh gosh, all right, let's go to question six. So something that I noticed is I think that Bobby Darren has a bit of a dark, slash ironic sense of humor or taste of humor maybe, but more so like lyrics in his music. So Mack the Knife is a really good example, although that had already become like a big jazz standard because of Louis Armstrong. But he also made a rendition of Clementine that is similarly very dark and ironic, if you want to give that a listen. But I think nothing demonstrates this point better than Bobby Darren's rendition of a song entitled Artificial Flowers, which is one of my favorite Bobby Darren songs. It's out there, probably top three for me.
Speaker 4: Could you introduce me to that lot?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's kind of kept across this banger, right, Yeah, I came across the banger of Bobby Darren song. The original song was written by Jerry Bach and Sheldon Harnick for the nineteen sixty musical tender Loin. If those names sound familiar. A few years later they would write the music and lyrics of which iconic and famous musical is.
Speaker 6: Y I'm going to get this way, but yeah, if you read the is it a burgadoon, B Cabaret, see Fiddler on the Roof or D Camelot.
Speaker 4: I feel like it has to be Brigadoon.
Speaker 1: You say brigadoon?
Speaker 3: Bling it in?
Speaker 1: What do you think, Stephen, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Go Fiddler on the Roof because I like that one.
Speaker 3: It's okay, fair enough ballad, I'm gonna go Cabaret.
Speaker 5: I think it's just very topical and I don't really know these that well.
Speaker 1: Fair enough one of you is correct, and it is Stephen. Yes, yes, fidd on the roof.
Speaker 6: Nice because Cabaret is like way later right, yeah, oh I didn't know, and the whole Camelot's the Monty Python guys right, like, it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love I love Camelot. Camelot is Oh no, that's that's spam a lot, not Camelot. But it's a it's a comedy. It's really really funny. The lusty Month of May. It's one of my favorite songs from that song from them.
Speaker 4: It's one of the favorite songs.
Speaker 2: I thought you or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good thing. We're in July right now, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Bitch around me? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What else?
Speaker 4: What other musicals did those guys do there?
Speaker 1: I'll have to look at any big ones I think those are I'm allowed to google. I mean you may please.
Speaker 2: Wow breaking his own rules and that's why he's the ring leader of the trees.
Speaker 1: In that's all right, I can I'm the rule.
Speaker 6: Breaker, secretly making it the real, the real treeson thing about the trees and trios, the fact that there's four it's a quarter, yeah, secretly.
Speaker 1: Frella Filler on the roof. Filler on the Roof is probably the most famous.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Steve. When you do get those two points, don't forget question seven. Starting in nineteen sixty two, Darren started releasing country and folk music, though kind of in his own style. They I feel like they were he like incorporated some big band influences, so he kind of made them his own. Possibly the most iconic song from this era is Bobby Darren's song eighteen yellow roses. Eighteen yellow roses to today, Giving someone roses. Depending on the number and color means different things. Red roses are obviously associated with romance, pink roses admiration. Yellow roses have their own connotation. But what is the connotation of specifically eighteen yellow roses? Is it A wishing someone a happy eighteenth birthday, b expressing gratitude to a friend with eighteen symbolizing forever, see wishing someone congratulations for a college graduation, or d wishing a couple a long and faithful marriage with eighteen symbolizing forever. You've said that twice now, Midge, eighteen is a very long time, like but not forever, or.
Speaker 2: E symbolizing the twelve late.
Speaker 4: Eighteen symbolizing forever.
Speaker 6: Twelve eighteen birthdays just right on the nose there.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say now, I almost sniped.
Speaker 2: Sorry, college, I almost sniped with eighteen years old. But maybe that's just what wrong. My instincts are so wrong.
Speaker 4: But it symbolizes forever, Steven.
Speaker 2: Eighteen does symbolize forever. We all know this.
Speaker 4: This is a known fact across the board.
Speaker 2: I don't know eighteen. You know it's when you become an adult. Maybe there's some additional symbolism in the song. I haven't listened to this song. I'll be honest. Yeah, maybe I'll say eighteen years old because that just makes sense. That's all I almost sniped with. I'll go with my first.
Speaker 8: I'm going to go with the with the friendship one because I think, you know, that would be something I could see somebody write a song about. And it seems like a nice way to say I'll be your friend forever, because the other ones are.
Speaker 3: Like love, admiration. Friendship seems to, you know, be in that realm.
Speaker 4: Of poss low kind of vibe.
Speaker 1: So I made up the bit about eighteen symbolizing forever does not answer. The answer is the obviously answer. It's a which is wishing some Steven might have running away with this.
Speaker 2: This is my eighteenth birthday.
Speaker 6: He gets two points in eighteen yellow roses because forever double digits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, double digits. Yeah, so you're going to go out and drink now that I'm eighteen, and yellow.
Speaker 1: Is about like friendship and or like relationships that are not romantic. But eighteen specifically is given as a sign of, like you maturing into adulthood, which is typically into eighteen years old. So you could give eighteen yellow roses to someone graduating college because it's them moving in what you could you could, I guess, but you would probably just give them yellow roses, not eighteen yellow roses, because.
Speaker 4: Give them twelve yellow roses for the twelve labors a.
Speaker 1: Right for the twelve labors.
Speaker 2: Symbolizing the twelve labors.
Speaker 1: Yea, because I'm telling you it's the most most mentioned anyways. A little fun fact in conjunction with the switch to folk music, Darren went political. I mean, that's folk music for you, because explicitly political. He got woke, Darren, he went woke. He traveled with Robert F. Kennedy and worked on the Politicians nineteen sixty eight presidential campaign. He was actually with Kennedy and also at the Ambassador Hotel later that night when Kennedy was assassinated. That event, plus learning about his true parentage that happened actually at the same time, which is crazy, what like really affected him so like around the same time he found out that he his true parentage, and that was when.
Speaker 4: He drove him to assassity.
Speaker 6: No no, no, So he.
Speaker 1: Took like a pretty He took a break basically from music for a while after that because he was so affected. But when he returned, he released the album Bobby Darren born Walden Robert Casado, which consisted of compositions entirely of him. Give it a listen if you haven't already. Each song actually tackles a different political issue of the time, and in particular, there's a song called in Memoriam At the very end, I believe that is his kind of retelling of his perspective of the assassination and the funeral. It's a very chilling song. It's just him with a guitar and singing the song. It's very emotional and powerful. So give it a listen if you haven't already. All right, well, nice job, Steven, you hit those two points man, and Stephen is running away with it.
Speaker 2: Call me the toy maker.
Speaker 4: We have to stop calling Steven the toy bit.
Speaker 2: It's too powerful. We can't do this.
Speaker 1: And we only have one question less Oh no, this is question eight. I mentioned earlier that Bobby knew that he wouldn't live a long life. I wish this was a story of him living much longer than expected, but Darren would die in nineteen seventy three at the age of thirty seven. In nineteen ninety, Darren was inducted into the Rock and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I would argue Darren actually did write rock and roll music, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he made some.
Speaker 1: In nineteen ninety nine, he was voted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame too, because he wrote plenty of songs as well, and his death obviously rocked the world. But my question is how did he die? What led to his death?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: Ultimately, Oh shit, I know this seems snipable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll snipe Okay, I want specifics.
Speaker 4: I think it was. I think his heart gave out.
Speaker 2: That's not going to cut it.
Speaker 6: Does zachar got to cut it? Did he have like surgery or something and his heart caave out?
Speaker 1: No? Sorry, no, sorry, you're out of there. A broken heart than Steven option A. He had a heart attack while he was flying in a plane and he crashed the plane and died. B He suffered a major heart attack on stage and died in surgery. See he forgot to take his antibiotics before a dental surgery and got sepsis or d He had lung cancer caused by years of smoking.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's lung cancer.
Speaker 3: I don't know either. I don't live super long.
Speaker 6: And how Yeah, it's almost like smoking is good for you, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know. The dentistry thing sounds real, but I'm not sure if what Aiden's attempted snipe is like steering me towards the heart attack direction, because beforehand I wouldn't have known.
Speaker 4: Well, they don't call him Bobby dentists, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. He would by daring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I like I like the the dentist one the most. I think if you came up with that, good job, that was clever. So I'm going to go with that. And he gave me a thumbs up as I said that, So I hope that wasn't confirmation you made it up. I've already committed, so.
Speaker 1: I'm a little tricky in this instant. In this instance, I am not being a little tricky because indeed, unfortunately, he forgot to take his antibiotics. And so my understanding is that because of his heart conditions and because of his frailty, Like typically if you have a history of real bad Yeah, so you were like basically, if you were doing any kind of surgery, you have to take antibiotics before it. So he did not take his antibiotics. He got the dental procedure, and he got sepsist and then ultimately that led to an open heart surgery that ultimately.
Speaker 4: Causes very sad So you you didn't even have a heart attack.
Speaker 6: They just opened up his chest and then yeah, it's because of the sepsist they had to to to work on him, and ultimately he just didn't survive.
Speaker 2: Dang, that's unfortunate.
Speaker 1: And I actually looked it up because I wanted to make sure that it wasn't like the doctor's mistake. No, they like prescribed him, he just didn't He either didn't pick it up or he didn't take it. Unfortunately. Moral of the story, friends, if your doctor tells you to take antibiotics before a surgery, do what they say, listen to the experts, listen to your doctors.
Speaker 2: Yeah fair enough, Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 4: Have you try alternative medicine.
Speaker 2: If you liked your doctor, you can keep your doctor.
Speaker 4: That's how they called Stephen the doctor that's taken.
Speaker 2: Never mind, I'm stuck with what I am.
Speaker 1: Which is what stupid?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: What did you ask him?
Speaker 2: I'm glad you asked the toynaker?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Is that I got Final Jeopardy?
Speaker 1: That is the final score.
Speaker 4: I didn't get any of that last right, and I only.
Speaker 3: Have two, got three.
Speaker 6: I got seven our winners.
Speaker 1: Nice job.
Speaker 2: Does that mean I get to choose the next artist?
Speaker 4: No Aerosmith Arrowsmith's.
Speaker 1: Would I could do one on Ricky Nelson, but I don't know who knows about Ricky Neilson, so probably it's gonna be. I could do one on Michael Buble if we really want Michael as actually no death, he's still still living.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he's he has so much going now, mister Bubble. That sounds like you.
Speaker 2: What do you know, mister Bubble?
Speaker 6: I can't can Let's just say the value of his signature is gonna go up.
Speaker 3: And I'm doing January third.
Speaker 4: I could do John John.
Speaker 1: Okay, who do you all want to hear about? Tell us in the comments. Think I should do next? I think I would like to do John Denver? Who would you prefer? John Denver or Michael Booble? Tell us for Ricky or Ricky Nelson or.
Speaker 2: Tell us the comments right. If you agree that it should be West no.
Speaker 1: Anything but that, please write in the comments. If you think that Aerosmith is a rock and roll band.
Speaker 3: Let us know in the comments. Write in the comments to your favorite member of the Dark Triad.
Speaker 6: Is yeah, And write in the comments your favorite Bobby dren SNG.
Speaker 4: Remember to do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember that too? Yeah, do all that in the comments.
Speaker 6: Okay, expect you each a three paragraph essay, one introduction, three body paragraphs for each of the each of the questions that we asked, and then.
Speaker 3: The biotics doctor prescribe you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to our show. If you enjoyed your ride on Bus one today, we'd really appreciate if you told your friends about us. Also, subscribing or dropping a five star rating on your podcast player would be super helpful. We're on all social medias as at Bus one Trivia. Make sure to share with your friends. Write to us at high at buswetrivia dot com or join our discord server super fun. We play trivia, send memes. You'll probably like it, and the link to join could be found on buswetrivia dot com. We have a Patreon now, so go and check that out. On buswetrivia dot com you can find our official merch as well. And before we go, we'd like to thank Vert for the use of our theme song five nine seven eight, which was not written by Bobby Darren, but still it is a certified babe.
Speaker 4: Thanks for bus one.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next year.
Speaker 3: We had a hand