Speaker 1: Are Heaven and Hell real places?
Speaker 2: And what are they like? Today?
Speaker 1: On Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the Bible Teaching Ministry of Rick Warren, we continue his series called Eternal Realities, Heaven and Hell. In these lessons, Rick shares what the Bible says about heaven and Hell and how you can be absolutely certain you'll go to Heaven. Coming up right now, here's part one of a message called how to be Certain You're going to Heaven.
Speaker 3: You know, this week I was doing a little spring cleaning and I was going through the stack of old magazines that I found this Time magazine from nineteen ninety three, and the cover says Los Angeles is the city of Angels going to Hell.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I don't know if the city of Angels.
Speaker 3: Is going to Hell or not, but I'm more interested in knowing am I going to Heaven? If I were to go over to a mall this afternoon, ask people, you know, if you were to die tonight and and you were to stand before God and to say God says, why should I let you into Heaven?
Speaker 2: What would you say?
Speaker 3: Are you sure you're going to Heaven when you die? Are you absolutely certain that.
Speaker 2: You're going to heaven when you die.
Speaker 3: You know, most people would say, well, I think, so.
Speaker 2: I hope, so.
Speaker 3: I guess I am. Obviously I want to go, you know, I hope in.
Speaker 2: Wish that I am. Well.
Speaker 3: Friends, you know, hoping and wishing and guess it isn't good enough.
Speaker 2: I need to know this for sure. Only a fool.
Speaker 3: Would go all through life totally unprepared for something you know is inevitable. The mortality rate in the world is now one hundred percent. I didn't know if you'd heard that or not. Okay, we're all going to die at some point, and the question is what's going to happen after I die? Well, you know, today I want to help you settle this basic issue. God doesn't Here's the good news. God doesn't want you being in doubt. He doesn't want you worried. He didn't want you fearful. He doesn't want you wondering all of your life. Am I gonna make it or not? Am I going to be in or not?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: He says, you can settle it without a doubt in your mind. You could have it absolutely confidently for sure, know that you're going to heaven when you die. And so today we're going to get back to the basics and settle this issue so that nobody here when you leave, you don't have any doubt in your mind that you're going to heaven when you die. You know, all great coaches begin with the basics. They never assume that people know the basics. Coach John Wooden, the most famous basketball coach in history, the winningest coach in basketball history, wouldn't with such a success because he always began with the basics. In fact, every year as he began basketball season, on the first day of training, he would spend an entire day training as players how to put their socks on correctly, not another is an incorrect way to do it. Course, I don't wear socks, but I didn't know that you.
Speaker 2: Could put them on incorrectly. Now you know.
Speaker 3: He said, if you take care of your feet, your feet will take care of you. And he said, if you put a sock on incorrectly and you're out there screeching and scratching across the basketball court, he said, you're going to get blisters and bunions and you know, all kinds of bruises on your feet. He said, you need to know how to put it on correctly. So he never assumes that people know how to put on a sock correctly. Vince Lombardi, the famous NFL coach he won the first Super Bowls, was the same way every year. He would start training by holding up a football and saying, gentlemen, this is a football.
Speaker 2: You know, don't ever assume nothing.
Speaker 3: So today we're going to go back to the basics and we're going to look at the most famous verse in the Bible. It's one that everybody's probably heard of. If you only got one verse in the entire bye, well you got this one.
Speaker 2: This is the one to know. This is the one to kind of.
Speaker 3: Memorize, because this is like Christianity one oh one. It's basic summarized cliff notes on the Bible. It's John chapter three verse Yeah, John three sixteen.
Speaker 2: If you don't know that.
Speaker 3: Verse, it's the verse that the weirdo guys with the colored hair hold.
Speaker 2: Up in the end zone.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're seeing these guys with the sun on Monday night football John three point sixteen. It's like, who's John and what numbers he calling?
Speaker 2: You know, It's like.
Speaker 3: It is the most important or famous verse in the Bible. I put it there at the top of your outline. Let's read it aloud together. For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Speaker 2: Now, let me read it to you again.
Speaker 3: God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son. That's that's Jesus, that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life. Now, there's a couple things I want you to notice about this verse. First, there's six words. You got a pencil, you might circle these God only son, perish, eternal life. Circle those six words, god only son, perish eternal life. Now, when you take the first letters of each of those six words, what does that spell? Gospel? Yeah, and you've heard this word gospel. What does it mean Gospel? We talk about gospel music or he's sharing the gospel. Gospel is just an old English word and it means good news. That's all it means, good news. This verse is often called the gospel. In a single sentence, it's the best news you've ever heard, are ever gonna hear? The second thing I want you to notice about this is the middle word there's twenty five letters in this twenty five words in this verse, and the middle word, the thirteenth word is the word son. It's talking about Jesus Son. Now, the first twelve words are all about God. God so loved the world that he gave is only begotten. And then Sun is in the middle, and the last twelve words are all about you and me. That whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life, and that in itself is a picture. The Bible says that God is on one side and mankind's on the other, and Jesus Christ came to earth to bring them together. That's what he came to earth to do. He's the bridge over troubled waters. He's the mediator between God and man. Jesus came to bring God and us together. Now, what we're going to do today is take this verse apart, phrase by phrase, so that when we finish today, you don't have any doubt in your mind that you know you're going to heaven. And there are four keys. There are four phrases in this verse. Now, if you're taking notes, you might write this down. The first thing is you must recognize God's love. If you want to go to heaven, the first thing you got to do is recognize God's love, how much he loves you. The Bible says, God so loved the world. Now, God says, I don't want you to just recognize it intellectually. I want you to recognize it emotionally. I want you to feel it. The Bible tells us that God is love. Doesn't say he has love. It says he is love.
Speaker 2: God is love.
Speaker 3: It is his nature, it's its character, it's what he mads up of. And the Bible says that everything in the universe was created simply so God could love it.
Speaker 2: That's why it exists.
Speaker 3: The Bible says God created all the planets just so he can love it. God created all the animals just so he can love them. God created all of the trees and the plants and all of.
Speaker 2: The vegetation so he could love it. And God created you.
Speaker 3: So he could love you. That's why you're alive. The only reason you're alive is God wanted you alive and He made you to love you. You were created as an object of God's love. And the reason your heart's beating right now, and the reason you're taking your next breath is because.
Speaker 2: God wants to love you. It's the whole reason you're alive.
Speaker 3: In fact, if God hadn't wanted to love you, you wouldn't be alive right now now. God's love for you is an amazing kind of love. We talk about love all the time. You always say, you know, we throw the word around, hey, I love you man. You know, I love you man in that manly, macho kind of way. And we say I love you. We don't go around and say, oh, I so love you. If you did, you'd get that interaction. But the Bible says God so loved the world. That means his love is extravagant, it's lavish, it's beyond comprehension. God loves you on your good days, on your bad days. He loves you when it's rain, and he loves you when it's shining him. He loves you when you feel it. He loves you when you don't feel it. He loves you when you do the right thing. He loves you when you do the wrong thing. Why Because God's love isn't based on who you are, It's based on.
Speaker 2: Who he is. God is love.
Speaker 3: God's love in base on what you do your performance. It's based on what Jesus has already done for you. You can't make God stop loving you. You can try, but you can't because God's love is not based on your performance on what you do. It's based on the fact that he chooses to love you unconditionally. Well, you slowed on down long enough so I can say this to you, God says, I love you. I've loved you every moment of your life. I made you to love you. I saw you formed in your mother's womb, and I loved you. Then I saw you take your first breath, and I loved you. Then I saw you take your first step, and I loved you. Then I saw all the good and the bad in your life, the highs and lows, the right and the wrong. And I have loved you no matter what, because I made you to love you. God so loved the world. Now notice these verses out of the Bible. In the Book of First John, that's a book in the Bible. In chapter four it says this God showed how much he loved us by sending his only son into the world, that's Jesus, so that we might have eternal life through him.
Speaker 2: This is real love.
Speaker 3: He sent his son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. God didn't just say he loved you. He showed it. A lot of people say it, they don't do anything about it.
Speaker 2: He showed it.
Speaker 3: He showed it in the most expensive way. He sacrificed his son. He proved it. And when Jesus Christ stretched out his arms on the cross to die for us, he was saying to you, I love you this much. I love you so much it hurts. I love you so much. I'd rather die than live without you. That's what God says about you. He loves you that much. And even if you were the only person who had ever lived, Jesus Christ still would have come to earth and died on the cross for you so that he could show his love for you.
Speaker 2: Look at the next verse.
Speaker 3: The Bible says, this, what an incredible quality of love the Father has shown us that we should be permitted to be called and counted as the children of God. You see, the reason you're alive is God wanted a family. That's why he created the human race. God wanted children. Human beings are different from animals. The Bible says, we're created in God's image. That's why you have a conscience. You know the difference between right and wrong. You can pray, you can talk to God and never gonna see a doggy given thanks before it eats its food. You know, we're made differently the animals. We're made in God's image, so we can have a relationship with God. And the Bible says that God created the human race because he wanted children.
Speaker 2: God wanted a.
Speaker 3: Family and he wants you in it. Now, that is a mind blowing thing to me. The most amazing thing in the world to me is that the creator of the universe would want me, Rick Warren in his family. And what's even more amazing to me is that he would want you and his family.
Speaker 2: And me.
Speaker 3: I can understand you. I mean, nuds, I mean that is grace. I tell you, that really is grace. God says I created you to love you.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: God wants you to know his love. Look up the next verse out of the Bible. It says, may you be able to feel and understand how long and how wide, and how deep and how high God's love really is, and to experience this love for yourself. Did you know, God says I want you to don't not just know it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know. God loves me. Not an intellectual trip. Yeah, I know. God loves me.
Speaker 3: He wants you to feel it, to experience it, to understand it, to feel it in your soul. Most people have never felt the unconditional love of God because when you feel it, it transforms your life. You're never the same again the day that you act actually feel totally loved by God. After that day, you will never again have to deal with inferiority or insecurity, or low self esteem or the depression that comes from a feeling of worthlessness because you realize, whoa wait a minute, The creator of the universe made me simply to love me.
Speaker 2: God made me to love.
Speaker 3: Me, and that will change your life.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: God says, I want you to feel all four dimensions. It's not three dimensionals four dimensional first, it says, in fact, you might circle the four dimensions, long and wide and deep and high. He says, I want you to know that first. How long is God's love long enough to last forever? I don't know if you figured this out or not, but human love doesn't last. That's why you've had a lot of girlfriends or a lot of boyfriends. That's why there's divorce in the world because human love wears out. But God will never stop loving you. Let me say this, you will never meet a man who loves you.
Speaker 2: As much as Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: You will never meet another woman who will love you as much as Jesus Christ. Because God's love is long enough to last forever. It is eternal. How long is it long enough to last forever? How white is it? Wide enough to be everywhere? There is no place you can go where God's love is not now. You may not feel his love, but it's there. You're just not tuned in. There are times in your life when you feel lonely, but you shouldn't be lonely because God is never without you, or you're never without God. His love is everywhere, And when you feel lonely, you're just not tuned in spiritually, You're not plugged in. You're not realizing it that He is never away from you. He is always with you and always loving you. It's long enough to last.
Speaker 2: Forever, It's wide enough to be everywhere.
Speaker 3: How deep is God's love deep enough to handle any problem?
Speaker 2: You've got.
Speaker 3: Deep enough to handle it. You say I'm in the pits, I've hit bottom I'm in the pit of hell. God's love is deeper still. I don't care what problem you're going through. His love is deeper than that problem. A few years ago there was a great movie it came out called The Hiding Place, based on a true story you may have seen. It is about in Holland when people in Holland hid the Jews in order to keep them from going to the Holocaust, and told the story of this one family, the ten Boom family, a Christian family who hid Jews in their attic to keep them from being taken into the death camps by the Nazis. It's true story. And one day these twins, these sisters, Corey and Betsy, and their father and mother that they were discovered and they had a hiding place where they were hiding the Jews. And the stormtroopers discovered this and they sent not only the Jews, but these Christians together off to Auschwitz. And in that Auschwitz camp, in the death camp, Betsy Tinboom speaks to a bunch of women there who have lost everything they've ever owned and all their family and their friends, and she said, there is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still. How high is God's love? Well, it's high enough to overlook your mistakes. Aren't you glad for that one?
Speaker 2: Y'all.
Speaker 3: I don't care what you've done, or who you've done it with, or how long you've done it or where you did it. God says, I want you to come back to me. I love you, I want to forgive you. I want to give you a fresh start. A lot of people think, you know, because all the stuff I've done wrong, I've just got to blown it and gone my own way, that if I came to God, he's going to reject me.
Speaker 2: He's going to scold me, He's going.
Speaker 3: To tell me all the bad things I've ever done make me feel bad. Listen, God isn't mad at you.
Speaker 2: He's mad about you. He's not mad at you, He's mad about you.
Speaker 1: That was such an encouraging message from Pastor Rick, and now to encourage us more, here's Rick with a letter from one of our listeners.
Speaker 3: I want to say thanks to all of you who are supporting Daily Hope Ministry with your financial gifts and with your prayers. I know you appreciate these notes that I get from people around the world as much as I do. Let me just share one with you from a woman named Anna who is an elementary school principal, and she just wrote this, your Pastor Rick. I became a principal in an elementary school at the age of twenty five. I'm now forty two.
Speaker 2: Now. We've had Rick Warren.
Speaker 3: Bible series and studies at our church during the summers, and I always enjoyed them so much, and I've invited many friends and relatives to visit our church. A couple years ago, I began to share your devotion Daily Hope with all of my staff members each morning. See she's a principle, she's sharing this with her staff. She said, I've seen their growth in God. I've seen the transformation in their lives and characters over these past years, and I'm amazed at the Lord's love and mercy. That doesn't mean that we haven't struggled with issues such as death and depression and disappointments and illness things like that. However, we have had our eyes on God during all of the things that have come against us, and this has made a difference. I pray with them during our staff meetings to give thanks. So Pastor Rick, I just want to thank you for following God's calling. Even though you go through struggles and life problems just like we all do.
Speaker 2: God is with you.
Speaker 3: May the Lord continue to bless you and your beautiful family. May continue to bless you with wisdom and discernment so that you're able to share your gift with all of us. Blessings, Anna, Well, Anna, God bless you. Thanks for writing. I love getting these letters and you actually encouraged me. And I love the fact that as a principle, you're sharing the broadcast and you're sharing the devotionals with your staff. This makes you a partner in this ministry, and I thank you for doing that. I want to encourage everybody else's listening. Find somebody that you could share the good news with, tell them about Daily Hope. God bless you.
Speaker 1: Please join us next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.