Speaker 1: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Geese, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupanski.
Speaker 2: Good Evening. Mike and Denise Williams had a tight knit, seemingly unbreakable bond with childhood friends Brian and Kathy Winchester. The two couples were devout, hard working Baptists who lived perfect, quintessentially Southern lives. Their friendship seem ironclad. That is until December sixteenth, two thousand, when Denise's husband, Mike, disappeared while duck hunting on Lake Seminole. After nobody was found, everyone assumed that Mike had drowned in a tragic accident, his body eaten by alligators. But things took an unexpected turn when within five years of Mike's disappearance, Brian Winchester divorced his wife and married Denise. Their surprising romance set tongues talking. People began wondering how long they had been a couple and whether they had anything to do with Mike's death. It took another twelve years for the truth to come out, and when it did, it was unimaginable. Now the full shocking story is revealed by Makita Brotman, acclaimed true crime writer of the enthralling and unax Blain Death. Through tenacious research and clear eyed prose, she probes the psychology of a couple who killed and explores how it feels to live for eighteen years with murder on the soul. The book they're featuring this evening is Guilty Creatures, Sex, God and Murder in Tallahassee, Florida, with my special guest writer, psychoanalyst, and professor of literature, Makita Brotman. Thank you very much for this interview and welcome back to the program. Makda Broughtman, Hi, thank you for having me. Thank you so much, and congratulations on this book, Guilty Creatures.
Speaker 3: Thanks very much. I'm very pleased with it.
Speaker 2: Yes, you take us to set the stage for when the story occurs. The locale is Tallahassee, Florida. You say, population about two hundred thousand, a city of great beauty. But where the trailer parks outnumber the gated communities. You take us to nineteen eighty eight North Florida Christian High School yearbook, and you introduce quarterback Jerry Michael Williams or Mike as he goes by. You also introduce his girlfriend at that time. Denise Merrill, tell us, as you do in this act one, as you call it, introduce the characters integral to this story.
Speaker 3: Well, the setting, as you said, is in Tallahassee, Florida, and that I begin the book by talking a little bit about Tallahassee, and the story is set in this sort of intensely religious Baptist community. But my interest in Florida and the story in particular isn't just necessarily just Tallahassee. I mean a lot of early writers who are writing about Florida testified that there's something about the heat and the lassitude that encourages moral laxity and sinful behavior in Florida. So I think that comes into the case a lot, because there's a lot of reference to swamps and lakes there, and a lot of strange cases take place in Florida for a lot of reasons. So the beginning of the story, I just introduced the location in Tallahassee, which also has an interesting history. Like you said, it's a very very beautiful place, but it also used to be the center of the slave trade and had a sort of a bad reputation for crime and so on. So the story begins with two couples, Mike and Denise Williams and Kathy and Brian Winchester. They were all born and raised in very strict Baptist families, and they'd known each other forever. They went to middle school together and high school together, and as they grow up and leave school, the two couples marry. They stay very close friends, and they settle down to raise families together. But then one day, Mike, Denise's husband disappears during a session where he's out duck hunting with Brian because they're both really big hunters, and his body never surfaces, and everyone assumes that he's drowned because his wade is filled up with water and it was a really terrible there was a terrible storm that night too. It's a Christmas the Christmas season, very in winter, very very bad weather, especially for Florida. So his body never surfaces and everyone assumes that he's been eaten by alligators, and his death really sort of tears the community apart. Eventually, Brian and Kathy divorced, and Mike's mother, Cheryl, who's a very devoted mother, is compelled to find out what happened to Mike because she simply doesn't believe that he's vanished. She believes that he's still alive. She's had messages from God. She believes that something nefarious or and a hand took place, and she believes that Brian and Denise, who eventually marry, are somehow responsible for Mike's disappearance, if not his death. And others in the community too don't believe that Mike drowned. And I should also add that Brian was from a wealthier family than the other the other three, and he worked in an insurance business. His father was an insurance salesman, and it happened that Brian sold Denise a couple of insurance policies on Mike's life, including a rather large policy, and eventually she received over a million dollars. So again that sort of encouraged suspicion in the community, and the suspicion one was directed particularly towards Brian and Denise, and eventually Cheryl went to the police, and the police got involved and eventually opened an investigation. So that's the first act of the of the story.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go back to how this all occurred. You'd take us back to early on when this couple was They married at the same time, these two couples in nineteen ninety four. They were raised in the strict Baptist church and they all attended church and took it very very seriously. But as you write, things changed over time. So tell us take us back to Mike his upbringing and how things changed for Mike and the rest of those people in the two couples.
Speaker 3: Well, again, as you mentioned there from a very strict, very intil a Baptist community had been together for a very long time, and we're very conservative spiritually and just emotionally speaking, that he just hadn't had very much experience. They didn't drink, they didn't smoke, they didn't have sex before marriage. They followed all the biblical injunction. But as after they married, things started to change and they radically sort of broke free from the church. They started to experiment sexually, They started to drink, they started to do drugs. Just like most people do in their teenage years, this forsome waited until they were in their twenties because they realized, particularly Brian and Denise, that they were kind of dissatisfied with the way things are. They'd been going to church, they've been praying, They've been brought up to believe that they would be rewarded, you know, sexual pleasure after they married, and they were kind of disappointed that things didn't turn out as they had expected them to be. And after these sexual experiments, Brian and Denise started to have an affair. Kathy, Brian's wife, was more conservative and more sort of home loving, and at first she The foursome, but particularly Brian and Denise were very interested in sexual experiments, going to the strippers, having threesomes, and at first Cathy joined in. Mike was less interested. Mike was very, very hard working, he was a real estate appraiser. He wasn't really interested in you know, drinking, smoking. He needed to guess up and get to work in the morning, so he was kind of out of this these hijinks. But eventually, like I said, Brian and Denise started to have an affair, and it was at this time that they started to consider how they could different ways in which they could be together. And I don't know if you want me to say more at.
Speaker 2: This point, let's go back to the idea of divorce. Like many people would say, why not divorce exactly?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that's what's so interesting to me about the story and so kind of confusing. Why so Brian and Denise start to consider the possibility of murdering Mike. And of course anyone would would say, why not just get divorced? I mean, murdering someone is absurd. And yet because of their strict upbringing, because of the Baptist community, because of the social pressure, and both Brian and Denise had children at this point. Denise didn't want to lose custody of her child. Neither of them wanted to go through the social stigma or the financial loss of the divorce, and so they gradually began to talk about ways that they might be together. And eventually they had this plan where Brian and Mike were be duck hunters. So Brian and Might would go duck hunting. Brian would push Mike out of the boat. But they didn't see it as a murder. They saw it as an accident and a test, a test of God's will, they believed, and they wanted to believe that God wanted them to be together, and so they decided to test this. If my survived, then it was a miracle from God, and God wanted Denise to stay with Mike. But if Mike died, that was God telling them that they wanted to be together. So this is a way that they kind of go through These go through this murder, and yet they're at the same time, they're committed Baptists. So what interested me so much is how they justify it, especially when so many people in the community didn't believe that Mike might drown. And I'm interested in how much the social pressures reinforced Brian and Denisa's lives, sort of bringing them together at one point and then driving them apart. And I explore their psychology and in particular the ways that they defended themselves against guilts through the years. They had this astonishing range of psychological manipulations and maneuverings and justifications and denials, and their relationship to each other sort of changed over time. First they were united and then they were driven apart. So so yeah, I mean, one might simply say it's easy to get divorced, how could you possibly contemplate murder? And said, but when you have unbearable pressure on you, your mind the strange and incomprehensible things. And that's what happened. And that's what I'm really kind of interested in getting at in the book.
Speaker 2: Let's get to the insurance policies, which are an important part of this story. Brian was an insurance salesman and saw two of the three policies. But tell us about this one policy that was about to collapse and regarding the new policy for a million dollars.
Speaker 3: Yes, So, like I said, Brian was an insurance salesman, and Denise and Mike had three insurance policies. Well, initially they had two. I can't remember the l where they were from, but one of them was about to lapse and it was paid quarterly, and Brian and sorry, Denise and Mike decided to let that one lapse and take out a new policy, which Brian sold them for a million dollars. So they had this one policy I think it was from I can't remember what they had, and they had a second policy that they were going to planning to that lapse. However, Denise was a CPA and she was the one in their household who was in charge of the accounts. And what happened was when they bought the third policy and were planning to let the second one lapse, Denise continued to pay the quarterly installments on the second policy, so unbeknownst to Mike, there were actually three policies on his life. And after he disappeared and was presumed dead, Denise Mike sorry, Brian's father was in insurance agent two and knew very much lost about finances, and he assisted Denise in getting Mike declared dead in it rub the swift way, I mean, things like that normally take a long time, apparently, and so Denise was able to claim all the insurance money, which was I think it was certainly a million dollars, and again that certainly led to wagging tongues in the community.
Speaker 2: Let's get back to this plan to heal Mike. Denise and Brian. They have this deadline because of this lapsed policy, but also that duck hunting season is going to end and it's getting laid in the season period, and so they have to do something. They have to put this plan into motion and their sixth anniversary, Mike and Denise's wedding anniversary is coming up. So tell us what happens in terms of the idea about the alligator. A fortunate accident happens for with Mike and Brian that gives Brian this idea, and before we talk about how they say we have to do something, it's now or never, right.
Speaker 3: So there's you know, they've been talking about this for a while. They've decided on that they're going to try and somehow get rid of mine, but they're not actually sure when to do it. So a number of things are sort of coming to a head. One is that the next insurance policy is due and that fall, oh that winter, and Denise isn't sure if she gets away with it by paying it again, that Mike's bound to see something wrong. He's going to look at the finances, the bank records and notice that she's paid it again. Secondly, duck hunting season's coming to an end and they'll be thinking about a duck hunting accident. And what happens to kind of solidify plan is that Mike and Brian go on a trip. Mike, Mike and Brian go hunting together, go dick hunting together, and what happens is Mike falls into what seems to be an alligator hole and he's about to drown, and the very last minute, he puts out his hand and drops his gun and Brian takes his hand and pulls him out and he Brian tells this to Denise when they get back, and they start to think to themselves, well, you know, if Brian hadn't been there to save him, Mike would simply have disappeared and nobody would ever know what happened to him. They would have simply assumed that he'd been drowned and eaten by alligators. And that's what puts the spur into their heads that this is this would be a great way to die if we can get him, if we can get it to appear as if he's drowned, everyone will simply assumed his body's been eaten by alligators, and that would be the perfect excuse for his absence in the community.
Speaker 2: And so there is a moment where they make the plan and then Mike is called by Brian to set up duck hunting at Lake Seminole. What happens so Mike.
Speaker 3: And Brian often go duck hunting very very early in the morning at Lake Seminole, So this particular morning, the morning of them that the murder has planned to take place, Brian calls Mike late at night and invites him to go duck hunting. Mike agrees. Mike gets up very early the next morning, meets Brian and they drive out to Lake Seminole. It's very early in the morning. They Brian switches off his cell phone and says that it's not working because he wants to create an alibi to cover his tracks. They get to Lake Seminole, they go out in the boat. They find a place that's rather deep where Brian believes that it will be possible to enact this grizzly deed. He pushes Mike out of the boat. However, instead of Mike drowning as he assumes what happened, Mike does not drown. His waders don't fill with water. He manages to take off his waders. He starts swimming. There are lots of cypress stumps growing out of the lake. There. He manages to get hold of a cypress stump and starts screaming. Absolutely nothing has gone the way that Brian has planned this. What he saw is a very simple act of pushing someone out of the boat has now become this terrible, horrifying situation. And he later tells the police that he had no other option, which is ridiculous. But he has his duck hunting rifle in his boat. He circles Mike a few times and then shoots him in their head. And this is absolutely nothing that the couple had considered at all. They thought it was a very simple accident. What Brian has to do next is to actually get rid of the body, and you know, he's not prepared for this at all. He'd actually arranged to meet his father in law later that morning to go duck hangingting, so it's set up an alibi. He has to somehow get around that. So he manages to get Mike's body out of the lake, drag it up onto the shoreline, bring his car around, all Mike's body into the trunk of his car, drive into town. He has to go to Walmart to get a spade and tarps and weights. He has to go home to wash the car, He has to find somewhere to bury the body, and he has to do all this without being seen by anybody, and then his in laws are having a party in Georgia and he has to drive all the way to Georgia arrive at the party as though nothing's happened. So I saved this experience to the end of the book. I tell this at the end of the book. But this is actually what happened on the lake. It was absolutely nothing like what Brian imagined it would be. It was this kind of horrendous, horrendous experience and absolutely horrifying wife of Mike to die.
Speaker 2: That Jesus has an opportunity to stop to hear these messages. Now, you do leave this for his testimony at trial, where he reveals everything that happened. But let's go back to what happens right after this. After he does manage to go to Cairo and catches up with his wife and daughter at his in laws, he also calls his in law back, his father in law back, and explains gives him an excuse why he said he overslept, and he said he lost the keys to the boat that he had borrowed, so he somehow manages it. No one seems to notice him out of character at all at this family gathering and what happens after in terms of the search for Mike Williams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bizarrely enough, Brian manages somehow to go through with this this family reunion. He returns home to Tallahassee with his wife and son the next Later that night, there are you know, Mike hasn't come home. And Mike and Denise were supposed to be going to it was their sixth wedding anniversary. They had booked a kind of romantic getaway in a hotel, and so when Mike hasn't come back from from duck hunting that morning, Denise starts to get kind of frantic, and she calls her sister and tells her that Mike hasn't come home. And there have been other occasions where Mike and Brian have gone out duck hunting and they've they've got stuck in an island, or they've just you know, lost track of time. So at first everyone thinks it's just something like that. But eventually, when the hurricane comes in and things get very stormy, Denise asks her father if she'll go out, he'll go out to the lake and look for Mike. The father goes out to the lake. He gets the help of some forestry staff to help search the waters, and eventually a full scale search takes place, involving many members of the community, including Brian and his father, including the police. There's satellite operations, there's all kinds of police dogs searching the premises, and that search goes on and on over the next actually until February. It continues going on. People are always going out to the lake looking for Mike's body, and there's a huge search and rescue operation. All kinds of equipment is used, eventually helicopters, and there's no sign of Mike's body, and people do comment that there are an awful lot of large alligators around. In fact, Lake Seminole is apparently known for its sizeable alligators. But eventuallyually Mike's cap is found, his hunting cap, and then much later on his waders and his torch and his gun belt are found, and so it's decided pretty clearly that Mike has drowned. It's surprising that his body isn't there, but everyone assumes that when when things warm up, his body will rise to the surface, and when that doesn't happen, people assume that he's been eaten by alligators, and so he's met this kind of grizzly fate. Although there are people in the community who's simply you know that it's known that alligators don't eat in the winter, and there's a lot of confusion, but do they eat in the winter? Is that just North florigator allegators of South Flora alligators and do they hibernate And everyone's you know, wondering about whether this is possible because it seems very unlikely for alligators to in the winter to have eaten someone without any evidence of their body surfacing. So it is kind of perplexing, but it goes you know, because the body never surfaces, things sort of are left to lie. And so Mike has declared dead, but there is this always this undercurrent of suspicion in the community, especially on the part of Mike's mother Cheryl.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Mike's mother and what her beliefs are about her son, who was very experienced in her mind died hunting, and also the uh she keeps a journal. She's very very serious about this, and also tell us about her campaign that she undertakes to be able to find her son.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mike's mother, Cheryl is absolutely the heroine of the story. I mean she she spends the rest of her life basically, she leaves no stone unturned in trying to find her son. So she knows that Mike is a trained hunter. She you know, she made sure that he had lessons. Family friends gave him lessons, He practiced with his waiters. He knew exactly how to remove his ways in the water, how to surface. He was very security conscious, and so Cheryl knew that she found it very unlikely to believe that Mike had died duck hunting. Cheryl was also a very religious person, even though her religion was less sort of traditional than others in the community. So Cheryl a few days after his son went missing, she went out to Lake Seminole and she had what she believed was a revelation from God, and God told her that Mike did not drown in the lake. And after that again she devoted herself completely to this campaign of finding out what happened to Mike. When everyone else in the community he'd accepted his death. Cheryl was constantly putting at missing posters, talking to people, trying to get the police involved, interviewing people in the community. She kept a journal like you said, She often had dreams and read tips in newspapers, and very seriously kept track of everything that she thought might give her a clue as to what happened to her son and how to find him. And like I said, at this stage, she still believed he was alive. She believed that he might have had a shock, lost his memory, be wandering somewhere not knowing who he was, and so she kept track of all clues and signs that she'd witnessed in her dreams and things that she'd heard people saying in the community. Event she did go to the police, and at first they were rather dismissive of her, but eventually they started to take her more and more seriously, especially after she showed them her diary. And although again she didn't believe Mike was dead, her suspicions were oriented themselves more and more frequently towards Brian and Denise. She didn't think that they'd killed Mike, but she certainly believed that they had something to do with his disappearance, and one of the reasons for this was that Denise and Mike had a daughter, Annesley, which was Cheryl's beloved granddaughter, who Cheryl spent as much time as possible with. They had a really close relationship. It was a really loving relationship. Denise, Cheryl and Annesley were devoted to each other. And Denise told Cheryl, her mother in law, to stop putting notes in the newspaper, to stop trying to search for Mike, to stop putting up missing posters. There'd been an article in the Tallahassee Democrat about missing people that includes Mike's photograph. Cheryl said, if you don't stop searching for Mike, you won't see your granddaughter again. And Cheryl just couldn't believe this, I mean, why would anyone wouldn't. Why didn't Denise want to find Mike. Her husband had gone missing, her child's father had gone missing. Why was she simply not just going to stop searching, but to put an end to anyone else's search. And it's at this point that Cheryl really started to believe that Denise was somehow responsible. And Denise did exactly what she threatened to do. She did not she stopped allowing Cheryl to see her granddaughter, and Cheryl hasn't seen her granddaughter since that day. So again, it was a terrible threat that she then made good on.
Speaker 2: You mentioned a integral person in this story, which was a journalist Jennifer Portman at the Tallahassee Democrat. Cheryl was in contact with her, but also that every year she would publish a story on the anniversary of Mike's disappearance. So tell us about Jennifer Portman and her reporting.
Speaker 3: Yes, Cheryl, as I said, Cheryl placed an ad every year on Mike's the anniversary of Mike's disappearance, with a picture of him and a description of what happened to him, and the advertising for anyone to get in touch with her if they had any information about his whereabouts. And Jennifer Portman, who was a journalist at the Tallyhousie Democrat, was very interested in these ads. Cheryl had also done other things, like she paid she didn't have very much money, She ran a daycare, She paid to take out a huge billboard on the highway with Mike's picture on it and a phone number asking people to get in touch if they'd seen him, as well as paying for these large ads in the Talent Hazey Democrats. So Jennifer Portman became very interested in Cheryl in her case and talked to her and gradually got involved in the case, and Jennifer Portman too began to believe that Brian and Denise were somehow responsible for Mike's death. She assumed that he died at this point, and she too started to talk to the police, interview people who are involved in the case, and she started to also to run annual and often more than annual articles in the newspaper about this case, about the suspicious circumstances around it, about the insurance money, about the fact that Mike was still missing, about the fact that Brian Denise, as they eventually did, got married, and her reporting again was really central to fueling the suspicions around this case, and with between Jennifer and Cheryl and then later on members of law enforcement, suspicions grew and grew and grew, and though again because this was a Baptist community and because there was a sense of you know, judged, not unless she be judged, people were reluctant to say anything out loud about the situation, but behind closed doors, thanks to Jennifer Portman's reporting and to Cheryl's pressure, people really starting to wonder if this you know, if Mike, if the facts behind Mike's murder would ever come to lie.
Speaker 2: You also talked about that an interesting development twenty eleven, a series on investigation Discovery channel called Disappeared was interested in the story, and you also talk about just to keep it in context, is in two thousand as opposed to twenty twenty four you talk about Facebook, Gmail, Google, social media in general and its lack of influence compared to later on.
Speaker 3: That's right. So when the prime took place or Mike went missing two thousand and one, there was not almost no social media in the way that we know today. I mean, people did have cell phones, but texting wasn't common. People couldn't simply look things up on the Internet, they couldn't post gossip on social media, they couldn't discuss things on online forums. But by twenty eleven, when this Investigating Discovery documentary was made, it was like a reconstruction of the case. And I haven't I seen any other episodes of the show, but apparently they kind of do reconstructions of cases in which people have missing under very suspicious circumstances, and I think most of the time there's a kind of implicit pointing the finger at those who might be responsible. So when this is twenty eleven, when this episode of Investigation Discovery aired, it was kind of bringing up everything in the community that people had been talking about among themselves but not perfectly, And so finally there was an opportunity for things to sort of go public, and people started texting and posting on Facebook, and there's a forum, an Internet forum called web Sleuths where people get together sort of amateur sleuths get together and share evidence and earth documents, and that community became very very active in the case. The people and people remembered Cheryl's billboard. People who knew nothing about the case then became involved and started to you know, to pick up clues and begin investigations. People were very critical of the police for not doing anything, because this documentary made it very very c that you know, wife, husband disappears, wife marries insurance agent who sold her the policy, and they refused to talk about husband's disappearance and refused to have anything to do with husbands and mother. You know, even if you don't know anything about the case, even if you didn't live in the community, it seemed very very suspicious. So yes, social media, the Internet all became very important and this started to I wouldn't say drive a wedge between brianon Denise, but it started to really exert pressure on them. Remember this was ten years since Mike's disappearance, So to all intents and purposes, they believed that they'd got away with it, and you know, no longer really talked about it. They just kind of went about their lives as usual, and they were very devout Baptists. They would go to church, they were involved in Denise was involved in a prison ministry, they were closely involved in all kinds of family and religious ventures. So to all intents and purposes, from the outset their stability and they were stable, good Christian church going family. And yet these rumors in this reconstruction on the television program really started to earn earth secrets in the community which then became public.
Speaker 2: Jesus is an opportunity to stop to hear these messages. Now, you talked about Cheryl going to law enforcement in Florida Department of Law Enforcement, and there was a person named Ronnie Austin, but he left the fdl E and Tully Sparkman took over. So tell us a little bit about Cheryl becoming a confidential informant and what that entailed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's actually Kathy who became the confidential conformance. So Kathy was Brian's wife who he had since divorced, and while Brian and Kathy were married, Brian was very suspicious of Cheryl, especially when she was talking about Mike hadn't been murdered and that he hadn't drowned and that he was he had vanished, and she was kind of trying to get things going regarding Mike's disappearance, and so Brian didn't want Kathy to talk to Cheryl. But eventually, after Brian married Denise, Kathy became closer and closer to Cheryl, and Cheryl actually informed Kathy that the police were involved and she was keeping track of events for the police. There was a police investigation that Denise and Brian were actually persons of interest in this investigation, and so then Kathy became involved with the police too, And because even though they were separated, because Kathy and Brian shared a child together, Kathy inevitably had to see Brian, had to spend time with Brian, had to contact him about custody and child pickups at school and so on. And so what the police police did is ask Kathy if she would work as a confidential informant at this stage, simply passing along anything that Brian said or did that seemed suspicious or you know, that that gave clues that something that he might be concealing something, or he might be anxious about something. Occasionally she would record telephone calls with Brian, and sometimes she would bring up Mike's disappearance and and find out if he had anything to say about it. So gradually sort of forces were mounting against Brian and Denise, although it took a really really long time before anything happened, because you know, there was no all the evidence was circumstantial and there was no there were no concrete details that Brian Deese had anything to do with Mike's death. It was just rumor and superstition. But as you know, as as Kathy began to sort of get evidence of Brian asking her to keep quiet and so saying that Cheryl was crazy, and you know, just the kinds of things he said did not seem to imply that he was desperate to find his best friend who'd gone missing, or even regretted Mike's absence or even ever thought about Mike at all. So so Cathy became involved with the police supporting. There were more and more police involvement at this point, and the police are putting together a case, but again nothing could be done because they didn't actually have any concrete evidence.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about how Denise and and Brian, despite this bond that Brian felt they had because of this murder, how they drifted apart, and how eventually they got to the point where they were separated. And then again the specter of the dirtiest word in their religion, divorce comes to be Yes.
Speaker 3: So over time, I mean, Brian and Denise had had committed this murder, that was, they had vowed to stay together at all costs, and the murders, you know, it seemed to be sort of justification for keeping them together. They couldn't divorce because they had this murder. But over time they started to fall apart, move move a part perhaps like most couples do, and it was almost as if they were like passing the burden of guilt on to one another. In turn, Denise would get more involved in the church and Brian would be more blase, and then Brian would become more guilty and Denise would see more blase, and so over time passed they they went through these different iterations of guilds, even to the extent that they wouldn't speak about the murder in the same room as anyone else. They had these gestures that they would make to each other to indicate that they wanted to go out to a quiet place to have a conversation about them murder. They even got to the stage of patting each other down before they had a conversation about the murder, because they were then that the other other one might be wearing a wire. Even then, when they went out to talk about the murder, they would take the batteries out of their cellphones. So it wasn't just that they were suspecting other people in the community. They were suspecting each other. And this is something that really began to wear them down. And it was almost as the Denise kind of got more and more involved in her Baptist community and with her daughter and Brian, and was moving far away from Brian. Brian had always had a problem with alcohol and with sex addiction, you know, pornography and prostitutes, and strippers. Brian started to get fall back into his old ways and fall away from the church, and the more he struggled, the more Denise moved away from him and made it started to make it very clear that she wanted to separate and also eventually that she wanted to divorce. I mean, this is now seventeen sixteen, seventeen years after the murder. Denise's religious views have changed. She's still devotely Baptist, she still prays and goes to church, but her feelings about divorce have now changed, especially since, for example, Kathleen managed to divorce Brian quite simply with that the approbrium of the community coming down on her. So Denise finally tells Brian that she she wants to divorce. And Brian, by the way, has started to believe that Denise maybe she doesn't want to talk about the murder at all, not even in private, and sometimes he thinks maybe she's recording him, because she seems to be, you know, when he brings up the murder, she seems to deflect the conversation in rather strange ways, and so he starts to think, what if she's what if she's going to you know, put this all on him. What if that's her plan maybe to go to the police and say that Brian killed Mike, or if Mike's murder does come out, then she might have, you know, evidence to say, well, it was I knew nothing about it, it was all Brian an act. Horrified to find out that Brian was responsible for her husband's death. Brian started to believe that Denise really actually was almost to the stage where she didn't even think she had nothing to do with it. She'd repressed the memory so deeply.
Speaker 2: So he is paranoid, to say the least. He's afraid of Denise and he needs someone to talk to At this time. You talk about this Ron Rickner. He's a Christian counselor, so he's going to counseling about his porn addiction. And then he has a sponsor for his Sex Addicts Anonymous and that's a person named Stephen Moonkin. So what happens with his paranoia and what does he do next in terms of trying to convince his wife not to divorce him.
Speaker 3: Well, Brian doesn't really believe in mental health and therapy. He goes to this Christian sex Addicts Anonymous group, but he doesn't believe in medication, but he's obviously extremely mentally ill at this point with anxiety and with depression. I mean, he's having a nervous break and he decides he actually becomes suicidal when he realizes that Denise is actually going through with a divorce. Brian's son even turns against him. He has nobody left. He starts to believe that suicide is the only option, but again he's extremely anxious. He's not thinking straight. It's not really clear whether he actually doesn't tend to commit suicide. He certainly writes suicide notes. He gets very very drunk, and then he says that he's going to commit suicide outside Denise's house. So he goes down to Denise's house in the middle of the night, very very drunk. He has a backpack that contains a topplin, a gun, and some water to spray the windows from the inside of the car so he's not seen. He gets in the inside of Denise's car and falls asleep. The next morning, Denise gets up to drive to work, Brian jumps over the back of the car holds a gun to her head. Basically, he's conducting an armed kidnapping, insists that she come up the side of the road, says that he's going to shoot her and tells her that he's going to kill himself and that she's responsible. However, Denise, although she's completely frantic, she does manage to talk him down eventually and tells him, look, let's do this together. We'll get back together. We just need to pray to God, we need to go to therapy, get help. We can restore our marriage, we can restore our relationship. Of Course, she doesn't believe any of this. She's just kind of talking down and as soon as she manages to do that and takes Brian leaves, she immediately calls her sister, who is married to a police officer, and immediately go to the police station and reports that Brian has tried to conduct this armed kidnapping and believes that he might even possibly have been ready to kill her. Of course, at the police station, most of the cops have believed for you know, ten years, that Brian and perhaps Denise have had something to do with the murder of Mike. So as Denise is talking about what happened, they try to get her to talk about the murder of Mike. They really pressure her. This cop called Mike Devaney, who's now taken over the case, who's been gathering all kinds of information for a long time. No has got all these facts about the case. He really tries to pressure her to say, look, we know what happened to Mike. We want to talk about Mike Brian. Tell us now that Brian did this and this, you know, this weight will be off your chest. But Denise won't talk. She desperately wants Brian to be arrested because she's afraid that he's got a gun and that he's going to, you know, come after her. But basically that's when that's when they turn on each other, and that's that brings about the their downfall. Basically because when Brian, you know, kidnapped Denise at gunpoint, he had no conception of the fact that she might get to the police. After all, she's a murderer, and why would a murderer go to the police. Getting the police involved in their relationship is just going to open up this whole pandora's box about their involvement in Mike's murder. So he has no conception of the idea that Denise is so repressed this conception of her involvement in the murder so deeply, and also that she has separated herself and her mental state from that of Brian so intensely that she basically believes that she can go to the police with a clear conscience. Brian will be punished for his you know, perhaps find or perhaps given short term in prison for his armed kidnapping. They'll get divorced and things will go back to the way they were before. But of course that doesn't happen. Brian is immediately arrested for armed kidnapping. He's put in prison, and he's told that he's going to get a life sentence unless there's anything else he can do to and give them any information that they need. And that's when the story comes out.
Speaker 2: Let's usus as an opportunity to stop to hear these messages. Now, let's get back to this assault. She says to police that she's deathly afraid of Brian, and so as a result, she pushes for the maximum sentence, which is life in prison. The minimum sentence for this, because it's armed kidnapping or armed burglary, is ten year minimum. So now he realizes, finally he realizes that she wants him to spend the rest of his life life in prison. So, as you say, this is when the story turns and Brian makes a decisive move, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Okay? Brian realizes that, I mean, the States attainly makes it clear that he's going to ask for the maximum sentence. That and by the way, Brian has done all kinds of absurd and ridiculous things. He's tried to suborn state witnesses. He's got a guy in prison to offered him money to try and get witnesses to recount their stories and kinds of things. We have been actually recorded on the telephone because from the prisoner are recorded. So the state have all this information against Brian. They say, look, we're going to go for the life. Brian's fifty at this time, we're going to ask for a life sentence. You're going to spend life in prison. If there's anything that you have to tell us about Mike's murder, now would be the time to do so. And so Brian realizes that he's you know, he's facing lefe in prison. This is his only opportunity to get out of that sentence. He says, okay, if I tell you what happened to Mike, you promise not to ask for a life sentence. And so he makes this deal with the state's attorney that they will hear anything to do with Mike's murder. He will he will have immunity, so whatever his involvement in the murder is, he won't be punished for it. He'll only be punished for the armed kidnapping. And so that's when Brian during this proffer to the to the state's attorney. That's what this is, when Brian tells the whole story of what he did to Mike. You know, it's basically eighteen years ago, where he hid the body, and that actually sets off a series of events in which involve the state investigators going to the lake where Mike buried. Well, sorry, got Brian barried Mike and an earthing remains.
Speaker 2: Yes, he led investigators to the remainder took it took six days of digging, but they did find the body. Tell us what they did find in those remains, Yeah.
Speaker 3: There was you know, this has been sixteen years, so there was almost nothing left. But eventually they found bones. They found part of Mike's skull with which had been embedded with shotgun palette. So it was it seemed to be clear that Brian was telling the truth about how he murdered Mike. They found, you know, a femur bone, They found sort of socks and shreds of clothing, and most ironically, they found Mike's hand and on one of his fingers his wedding ring perfectly intact. So it's a kind of horribly ironic coder to the investigation.
Speaker 2: Yes, now, so as a result, obviously, now Denise is being charged. She has three serious charges, first degree murder, conspiracy to commit first degree murder, then accessory after the fact in murder. Let's just go through Basically, the most dramatic part of this trial is when Brian takes the stand. The jury has to believe his testimony or Denise might not go to prison. Tell us about that testimony.
Speaker 3: All the all the what's at stake here is Denise's life, Denise's sentence. Because Brian has already done a deal with the state, Brian can't be prosecuted any further for his role in the crime, right, so all that's at stake now, this is, this is Denise's murder trial, and so very very Brian is the star witness, the state star witness, and very dramatically and with great emotion, he recounts this what he's did, the murder, the terrible murder. I mean, he breaks down a few times during his during the account. I mean, it's incredibly dramatic. Denise, however, if she's telling the truth, which is that she had nothing to do with the murder, this will be the very first time that she's hearing about that her ex husband killed her previous husband, the father of her daughter. And the jury found it very disturbing that she appeared to show no emotion whatsoever. She didn't take the stand herself, so nobody got to hear her speak in the same way that they got to hear Brian speak. And despite the terrible things Brian was saying, there was a clear kind of sense of at least some remorse. But with Denise, there was absolutely The jury heard and saw absolutely nothing, and so on the basis of Brian's confession, they found her guilty of murder. And it was really all on the basis of Brian's confession because there was, you know, this affair Mike. Mike was murder in two thousand and one. This even this affair had been going on for a long time, but there was almost no evidence of it. There were no you know, at the time, there were no texting with no cell phones, there were no Google searchers, there was no evidence of this affair at all. And so Denise's defense lawyers said that this is, you know, just Brian had been obsessed with Denise, she had rejected him, and so he'd killed Mike to be with her, and now he was just simply loading everything, throwing her under the bus by making up this concocting this story about them having an affair. But the jurya didn't buy it. I mean, they believed that they found Denise guilty on all counts. Actually, although the murder count, the first degree murderccount, was later overturned on appeal because there was there was certainly evidence that she was involved in the conspiracy to commit murder, but there was no evidence that she'd actually taken taken part in the murder itself. But her sentence was her sentence remained unchanged. I mean, they're both going to be in pros and for twenty twenty five years and they're birth in the fifties, so maybe not a life sentence. Maybe they'll they'll see the light of day, but they're certainly birth going to be in prison for a very long time.
Speaker 2: You said that she would be eligible for release in two thousand and forty seven, right, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so she may she may get out, actually may spend some time, spend her you know, basically her final years outside of prison. That's quite possible. The same with Brian. But and and people in the community are very shocked by the fact that Brian's certainly going to serve a long time in prison. I think he got twenty years. But none of it is for Mike's murder. It's all for the armed kidnappings. So and that was something interesting about the trial too, because Brian did this deal. Then there was nobody to be punished for the murder. Brian hadn't been punished for the murders, so but someone had to be there. So there was this kind of free flooting like sense of gil someone had to give Cheryl justice. There had to be some payment, and that seems to have all landed underneath, you know, someone had to be held responsible, and so she was completely held responsible, even though she and Brian were equally responsible. And Brian perhaps a lot more than she was, since he was the one who actually, you know, pulled the trigger.
Speaker 2: You're right that and we really didn't go into it. But without Cheryl and Jennifer Portman, there wouldn't have been any justice. Without those people's extraordinary efforts.
Speaker 3: That's right. And also the police. Mike Devaney was the policeman who was in charge of the case, and people were very Yeah, I mean between Cheryl, between Cheryl's kind of obsessive quest to get justice and between Jennifer Portman's an intensive reporting plus Mike Devane's investedation, the crime would never have come to justice. But people were very critical of the police because they said, look, everyone in the community noted this. These people married, she's spending the insurance money. It's obvious what happened. Why aren't the police doing anything about it? Why can't they just arrest her? But the police were doing all they could. I mean, you can't just the police can't just go and arrest someone without evidence. They had to wait until something happened, until that the couple turned on each other, which people were hoping that they would do and which they eventually did. So it's not that the police were useless or not involved in the case at all. They were monitoring this very closely from a distance, hoping, waiting for a moment when something might when something might be revealed. And in fact it was you know, when Brian and Denice turned on each other. I mean, that was the things. It's almost as though you know, Cheryl was right and that God had spoken to her and that she had been been given finally been given justice.
Speaker 2: You also right though, that Brian felt a lot of pressure that Denise didn't feel, because Denise didn't partake in social media and closed herself off and didn't listen to the rumors, whereas Brian was felt the pressure and heard the rumors and went on social media, so in his mind he worked up this paranoia that led to his downfall eventually.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like I said, they had different ways of reacting to the guilt and to the pressure and the relationship, and sometimes one of them would feel more guilty and the other one would. But eventually Denise seemed to retreat into her the life of her daughter and of her church and became very serious and very devout and very religious, whereas Brian seemed to be more like he couldn't help looking at social media, he couldn't help starting to crumble under the pressure of the search for Mike and his guilt and his responsibility. But he seemed to believe. And this is something that really interested me in the book, is that Denise actually got to the stage where she no longer believed that she had any part in the murder. And that's what she, you know, claimed a trial that she knew nothing about this, that she learned, she learned that her second husband had killed her first husband, and that But whether or not someone can go into denial to such an extent that they actually, you know, memories of some heinous do that they've committed, I'm not really sure if that's probably. And I think at some level you must have knowledge of what you've done, your own guilt, however, however deeply you've repressed it. However, however deeply your denial, I think there's, you know, some part of you that is always going to recognize your own.
Speaker 2: Guilt, wasn't a part of this is that they used their the interpretation of the Bible that they said was infallible to justify what they were doing. And Brian believing that they were forgiven for this and it was God's plan, that's right.
Speaker 3: They you know, when they back in two thousand and one, when they decided that they wanted to kill Mike, they justified their adolporous passion by claiming that God wanted them to be together, and they found all kinds of sort of biblical narratives like the story of David and Bashe to convince themselves that sometimes, you know, God wanted God wants people to be murdered. Sometimes God pushed these people through these tests. So they basically took their religious belief and stretched it in a way to cover the murder. So they could sort of square their Baptist doctrine with their adultery, which is a really bizarre thing to do if you think about it, to twist your biblical doctrine to cover your sin.
Speaker 2: You tah about in the last part of this book, you call it the factor, and you discuss what you mean by that. Can you discuss that for us?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That phrase was actually used by Denise's defense attorney Eathan Way, and he said that whenever you get a case where a husband and wife or a man and a woman inspire to kill either the husband's wife or the wife's husband pretty much always is pretty much always the man who actually commits the crime itself, but the woman always gets punished equally if not isn't sometimes even given a worse sentence, but it is also kind of sex shamed at the same time. So certainly Brian suffered all kinds of public hatred, but Denise perhaps even more so. And the way that the case was kind of regarded in the media was that Brian was this weakling who Denise had manipulated and subdued with her evil sexuality, rather like Adam and Eve, to commit this crime that she wanted committed to kill her husband, whereas Brian was trapped in her deadly force, almost mesmerized, and had no choice but to do what she wanted him to do. And she was described as, you know, a Jezebel or a Delilah or evil these biblical women who managed to seduce men into committing crimes on their behalf. So that's what Ethan, what I meant by the factor that it's usually the woman who is seen as responsible for corrupting the man and not the other way around. And Denise was described in the media during the trial as both like cold and unemotional and heartless, but at the same time as voracious and passionate and sex starve. And so there were these strange, kind of paradoxical and contradictory views of Denise. And I think it's all to do with this notion of the Eve factor, that women throughout the time immemorial have had this evil power to seduce men into performing their will.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. I've seen the phenomena, even when you talk about the stark Weather case and the fugate girl and that people were putting in ordinary amount of blame on this little, I don't know teen girl from a little nowhere out of nowhere place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's lots and lots and lots of cases. I mean I looked them. I can't remember the case now, but it was the very famous case with the school teacher who who's still in prison. Actually her first name is Pamela, I can't remember the last name, who kind of seduced her one of her students to murder her husband. And there's lots and lots of other examples where it's a couple that commit the murder, but the woman is, you know, given enormous amounts of sometimes blame that should not be attributed to them, and it is also seen as personally offensive in a way that the man often isn't. The man's often seen as a victim exactly.
Speaker 2: I want to thank you so much for coming on and talking about guilty creatures, sex, god and murder in Tallahassee, Florida. You're also the author of an Explained and Unexplained Death for those that might want to find out more about your other books and this book. Do you have a website and do you do any social media?
Speaker 3: No, just my website. It's just my name Makita dot Brockman dot com, so just my name.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for this interview, and you have a great evening. Thank you so much for this interview, and good night.