Speaker 1: Coming up later in the show. I'm very interested in Kat has the ABCS of Rock. It's trust me, it's going to be a lot of fun stick around for that. It's an interactive game that you can play at home with us as well. Now, there's a lot of different celebrities out there that deliver amazing audio. They always have something fun and interesting to say, and we can listen to it and then kind of spin it off into a million different topics, and Kat, you have that right now. With one of the greatest actor musicians, Jack Black.
Speaker 2: He was on the podcast with Amy Poehler and I was telling Christina about this Sunday at BFD and then I was like, she was like, WHOA, that's interesting if someone else jumped into the conversation too, And then I was like, Okay, we'll bring this to the show later in the week.
Speaker 3: She's kind of asking him how he spends his free time.
Speaker 4: Well, when you're not working and when you want to just like peace out and chill.
Speaker 3: Out, where do you go?
Speaker 4: One thing I realized I stopped listening to music. I was only listening to podcasts and audio books. And I was like, but I get music back in my Life's stat and so I did this thing called chrono marathons, where you pick a band that you love and you go chronologically through their whole catalog. It's a great way to get the nooks and crannies, and there's probably some bonus tracks that you never listened to listen to all of it, even songs, because then you find these. It's just an interesting way to hear music. I had never done it before, and I swear, I swear by it.
Speaker 1: Who have you done well?
Speaker 4: It's gonna sound boring, Pink Floyd. I did the Rolling Stones, I did the Beatles, I did led Zeppelin, all these great musicians and people that you're like, I bet you there's some songs that I've never even heard that they wrote me you go in complete order. I've heard all of them now and I like to do a little star on the ones that are my extra specials. And the most fun part is going, oh this album is when they hit their stride and you go, they got this window here. There's usually like a four or five year window where their bet went down.
Speaker 3: Why why then?
Speaker 4: And it's also like, oh, yeah, I love this band in this window. Nineteen seventy eight, Steely Dan you know. But anyway, Oh, I love that.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. I can never think about him is awome. I totally agree.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I was sitting there listening to that thinking about a lot of different things at once. One is just the way that he presents himself, I agree, you know. Uh, And part of it is I love when someone's passion for something comes through and how they're talking about it, Like you can tell he genuinely cares about what he's talking about. And you know, that's why he kind of goes off in these weird little funny things, you know, because he's kind of caught up in the thing. So he's on, right, and he's on a podcast. Yeah, yeah, and he's supposed to be on, But I just think he's a dude that's on and he really cares about things. And uh, that concept, the what he called it, a marathon chrono marathons. For a nerd like me, that concept is super badass because I very much care what I would deem spheres of influence, and like when things happen in time and what happens after it. It may not matter as much now because of the way technology is, but you know, really genres of music which we're on a rock station, right, We're on a specific kind of rock station. But even genres of music happen because of a combination of technology that talented people suddenly have their hands on, and then the sphere of influence and how it influences other people. Like there's a real famous line about the first Velvet Underground album. Velvet Underground probably are given credit for having created quote unquote alternative rock, whatever that term would mean to somebody, But the line is, only one hundred people bought the first Velvet Underground album, but every single one of them went on to start a band. Right now, That's what we're talking about with spheres of influence, Like you create this thing and then think about you kt and like your interest in writing comedy and stuff, like there was something that happened in your timeline that sparked you, and then you you're the guy that goes and does all the research and reads about it and stuff that you weren't even alive for when it happened, but it matters because of that chrono marathon idea of what led to something else. Well, it's like I showed that to my wife and she goes, oh my god, you already do that, Yes, I do.
Speaker 2: Like we like the Rolling Stone thing that you did. Yeah, but like even like we had a concert come up. I did it with the Black Keys a little bit. It didn't go all the way through, but I started at the beginning. It was kind of just kind of bugging through their songs.
Speaker 3: The evolution.
Speaker 2: When we went and saw LCD sound System, you know, a month ago, Yeah, I went and listened to all five of the records, Yeah, in order to do it in order.
Speaker 3: Yes. Cool.
Speaker 2: And I kind of like to do that when I'm going to see a band I haven't seen in a long time. Yeah, But it's something that's fun to do. And sometimes the seasons there's just like certain bands like in the Fall that just kind of remind me of that, and I'm like, Okay, I'm listening to that record right now.
Speaker 5: So I used to do that when I as a kid, like in your high school years, when you discover a band, you're like, I like this song, what else do they have?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And I remember that's why I loved Blinwire so much, because I would get all kinds of things. But I do feel bad. It's like Jack Black said, I'm like, man, before we before I listened to that Black Keys album on our way up to Chalk Dogs, Like when was the last time I actually listened to a full album all the way through? I haven't done that in a long time. And you forget how happy it makes you, And like he said, you forget all of these smaller songs that weren't hits by these huge bands, Like when was the last time I listened to Zeppelin's Hot Dog?
Speaker 3: It exists?
Speaker 5: I just never listened to it.
Speaker 1: There's just so much to consume. But then there's those things that really matter to you that you go back. Yeah, I've got in my living room, I've got this old refurbished turntable, and I got a badass rocking chair.
Speaker 3: And so when I do want to do that like unwind, I will.
Speaker 1: Put on records and I'll sit my Scotch or whatever and just sit there and listen to records.
Speaker 3: And it just evens me out. I mean, you guys know me.
Speaker 1: I can't turn my brain off, but it at least puts my brain in a place where it's not rapid fire just banging off the wall.
Speaker 3: Right, It can just even me out.
Speaker 1: But I do sit there and think about Is there a band that you guys got into late? In other words, you know they they already. The one I can think of for me is Radiohead, because I didn't get into Radiohead until Okay Computer, and I was actually I think Okay Computer probably been out for about a year or so when I discovered it, or nine months, and then I was like, I can't believe how much I like this. I've always known this band, uh, but I never paid attention to them, so then, you know, I kind of got to pick up halfway through their thing. But I did go back and I listened to their first record. I was like, oh, yeah, it's terrible. They have literally, depending on how you feel about Creep, two songs on that album that are worth it.
Speaker 3: Pablo Honey to the Bends is great. Fun of me for this a lot.
Speaker 2: My favorite band, though, I got into ten years after they'd been gun and their window was very much ninety four to ninety nine, that window he was talking about, Uh huh.
Speaker 3: I got into them in two thousand and four. Who do they Matthew's man, Oh oh oh right, I have to say, but that's your age. You were fourteen or fifteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean would have missed it. But like they were, their prime was over. Yeah, you know, that's when I discovered it. Yeah, but that's because how.
Speaker 1: Old were you when crash happened? Because that was when they became like a thing that people like me would know.
Speaker 3: Eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's rare that you're going to be super into a band, tod eight. It's tough.
Speaker 2: It's tough, especially when the only stations in town just played country.
Speaker 3: Music too, right, right, you know, all right?
Speaker 1: Uh man, Yeah, Jack Black, he's awesome. All right, It's been in Skin Show ninety seven point one. The Eagle coming up next playoff time. We'll do a little sports with you.