Speaker 1: Welcome friends, Jacky, Welcome to movie Film.
Speaker 2: It's episode three forty eight. My name is Zaki has Son. I'm here with Brian Hall.
Speaker 3: Hey, how's it going, Zachi, it's going. I'm ready to get my spidery own. Oh man absolutely, speaking of so we were talking off Mike, I don't have to get into it. It was a little complicated for me getting tickets so I could see it on time for the show. Because it's selling out everywhere. So let that be maybe a warning to people who are interested, get your tickets now. But as I was in the theater, I had to buy them at the theater the day that I was going to see it.
Speaker 2: Like a goddamn savage, I know.
Speaker 3: Actually it reminded me.
Speaker 2: We win Wars to up that from happening.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, that's what we used to do when we wanted to see like Phantom Menace or something right like back in the day, or concert tickets you had to go walk.
Speaker 2: Up, you had to interfact with the human being.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you wanted to buy tickets to a concert back in the day, you had to go to like a Macy's or something, or a Sears where they had a ticket master window and get in line and buy your ticket for you know, Metallica or something like two months later. Oh man, we didn't even know how good we would have it.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 3: This is good. This humbled me having to do this. It reminded me of the way it used to be and how far things have come. But as I was in there, I saw that they had all the Spider Man popcorn buckets out. Now, I know you saw it a little bit early. Did you see all this merchant stuff? I didn't, okay so well, And I only bring it up because on a bonus episode, I think we talked about just popcorn buckets and what a phenomenon question mark they had become. Because what was interesting to me is that it used to be sort of maybe for like a major movie, they would have a popcorn bucket for a Super Mario Brothers or something like that. But then I was noticing them for limited engagement stuff like Andrea Bicicelli one night at the opera, sort of events, they had a popcorn bucket for it. The Milania movie had a popcorn bucket, right, so.
Speaker 2: I was just what was the Malania popcorn bucket?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it was just a tin popcorn bucket with like the movie poster on it or something. Sometimes they're just very simple. Sometimes they're incredibly elaborate, like I remember for Superman, the James gunn one, they had something that looked like a building that was falling apart. The bucket was a building, and then or no, no, no, no, I'm sorry. It was a popcorn machine and Superman there's a little Superman figurine on the outside using his laser vision to heat the popcorn, you know whatever thing that held the seeds like. It was really elaborate and clever and interesting. But these things cost seventy dollars, right, So it's just it was fascinating to me. And then shortly after we talked about it, the New York Times did an article about popcorn buckets, and so I just thought i'd share a couple stats, because when we were talking about it, it was just us musing on it, and I didn't really have numbers. I didn't know how well they were actually doing, and I was curious. And it turns out so they were specifically talking at first about the Imax camera. Popcorn buckets that came out to coincide with the Odyssey have you seen these.
Speaker 2: I have not, I've seen the pictures, but but they're okay.
Speaker 3: So they made these popcorn buckets that look like Imax cameras, which is hilarious. I mean, talk about a brand like successfully getting into the brains of of like movie goers everywhere, right, Pretty brilliant, Pretty brilliant. So anyway, they were talking about how, at first, you know, Imax is like, ah, we don't really get it, but sure we'll approve, you know, twenty five hundred units. They immediately sold out. They're like, oh, okay, let's do like twenty five hundred more. Those sold out, So then they basically had to go to Imax China and be like, okay, Odyssey's coming out a little bit later over there, we need all the popcorn buckets you have already to sell over here in anticipation of the Imax release. And they sold apparently about thirty thousand Imax camera buckets, which is crazy, and apparently with AMC theaters alone, they estimate that this year they're selling these specialty buckets will generate about a one hundred million in revenue, which is bonkers.
Speaker 2: Well, it is bonkers, and I feel like we're in the lead up to just a major crash that coming. This is like beanie babies slash, POGs slash like you name it, you know, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and I mean and and and so it goes right. I mean that's just kind of the way fads happen, right, and like la booboos, right, I mean those were like such a thing not long ago, and now it's like okay, what what now? What next? So it's just kind of fascinating to me though, Like in this moment, I mean, yes, there's gonna be a movie and they're going to go all in and make all these units and none of them are going to sell and everyone's going to wonder why.
Speaker 2: But for right now, it's gonna be it's gonna be the e t Atari game all over again.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, yes, but yeah, I mean one hundred million dollars in revenue just with popcorn buckets at AMC theaters alone. I mean, in this moment, that's certainly worth the noting. And you know what, that's great if that's uh. After COVID, the story was will theaters ever been ounce back? While they survive? Is theater going going to die in our lifetime? And so something like this bring it on. I love it, I suppose.
Speaker 2: Well, so first of all, yeah, I'm imagining the piles of unsold you know, novelty buckets. Yeah, basically shipped overseas and just given to poor children, and be like here you go with no popcorn, right, just the bucket right right right, because that sounds like something we would do, you know.
Speaker 3: And the I have seen these cases, right, I think tron ares they had, and they looked kind of cool. They looked like arcade cabinets, and but you know, they were there for a very long time. Then suddenly it was you know, one for fifteen dollars, then it was two for fifteen dollars, and there's still I think tucked away in a corner somewhere over there, but you know, I don't know. And the Supergirl ones also, did you see those?
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 3: That was a very whoever. I think either whoever designed it missed something or they were going for the dune bucket sort of cheekiness because it looked like a Superman or Supergirl outfit, like the cup I did see this, okay, yes, yes, and so on the poster she's wearing this trench coat. So they tried to put the trench coat over the cup, so it looked like her wearing the trench coat, but it accidentally and there's just no other way to say. It looks sort of like a foreskin. So it was like everyone was like, what the heck is this? Like why would I ever want to buy this or hold this or drink out of this? So I don't know if again, maybe they're trying to go viral. I don't know, but.
Speaker 2: You know, speaking of Supergirl, I did find it interesting. You know, it was up for digital pre order for several weeks and it just became available this past week.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And I look at the tile on you know, Voodoo Slash Fandango and again, for a longest time, it was just a movie poster which you've seen, and then you look at it now and it's like Supergirl very noticeably sharing the frame with Lobo. Oh interesting, And I'm like, well, I guess we know which way they're trying to market this now. Yeah, yeah, Lobo featuring Supergirl.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So that's such a bummer to me. I mean, we've we've already covered this, but there was so much potential there. The source material was so great and and we you know you and I we didn't hate it. We just said it was very mid.
Speaker 2: It was very mid. Yeah, and it didn't as young people say, yeah, as the youngster say it was mid.
Speaker 3: It was mid. It wasn't cringe, that's exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean at moments it had some riz. All right, I appreciate Lobo as our farming and I'm done. That's all I got.
Speaker 3: I didn't say that review might have gotten us like more listens.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah. But all of this is to say that the popcorn bucket phenomenon, I feel like we're gonna be watching this, you know, unfold over the next I would guess you're end change. But it is riding for a fall because I think at some point people will have a sudden realization of like, I don't need even one elaborate popcorn bucket, much less fifty right.
Speaker 3: I mean that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: It taps into the excitement of I'm about to experience something special. So it's a movie you like. Spider Man is the perfect example, right, Like you've been waiting a long time for this, You're excited, and you want to have like a little souvenir from the experience. But as they begin to collect in your cabinet. I have a couple that I've gotten just from events. You know, they've handed them out and stuff, which is kind of neat, but they're kind of stacked inside one another. Frank, it's a little bit easier to clean a plastic bowl. Yeah, when I'm excusing popcorn. So I think, now I look at I see the Spider Man one, which looks awesome. It has this incredible texture to it that feels sort of like the suit. It looks like his mask. There's part of me is like, oh, that's pretty neat. But then I think back to my kitchen cabinet that has all those buckets like stacked and that I don't tend to use, and I think when I clean that, yeah, you know, so you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, what have you seen lately, Brian.
Speaker 3: Well, I saw a couple of things. Uh. We talked about Sam Neil sadly passing recently, and yeah, that's right. I had never seen this movie he was in, called Hunt for the Wilder People.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, I've been I've been recommending that to you.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and it's a it's from Taikawa Titi, and I can totally see why Marvel watched this movie and when we got to get that guy, because he's a good filmmaker. He handles you know, set pieces really well, and he's got this really unique particular sense of humor. And this this movie, I know we've talked about how Taika can sometimes really dial it up, almost a little too much, right, and it becomes kind of overwhelming his sense of humor, and it can overwhelm the story and the characters. But this is he is at his perfect settings. He's perfectly dialed in here, right. This is a really really sweet story. It's you know, it's offbeat and quirky, of course, but it's about this foster kid who basically goes on the run with a foster parent who was never really interested in fostering him in the first place. Right, So, I, you know, without spoiling stuff, because there were things that happened even in the first act that shocked me and like, you know, maybe tear up, and I don't want to spoil those things. But basically it's, yeah, it's Sam Neil and this boy on the run from you know, child service, and they form this unlikely bond and Sam Neil plays this very gruff character who's a survivalist who's really good in the woods, and Julian Dennison plays the boy he is. I was thinking, man, you just that kid walks in in auditions for you and you just like look at the heavens and go thank you, Like you just don't find people like this every day. He is one of the kind so sweet, so funny, perfect he handles this material perfectly, and yeah, when they're at odds, him and Neil, it's funny and you also are like, no, I want you guys to get along, and then as they slowly do, your heart just melts, and you know there's there's a woman who's pursuing them from child services. That adds, you know, like tension, and it's just a really lovely, funny, charming film. So I definitely recommend Hunt for the Wilder People for people who are interested in that and some more Neil and people who enjoy the taiki, you know, humor. This is for me, This is the perfect amount of what tit it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's I think he manages to include his quirkiness but also heart. Well. It's funny because because I feel like Jojo Rabbit has gotten like sort of retrospectively, people dunk on it.
Speaker 3: Oh really right?
Speaker 2: And I feel like this a little bit of like, oh no, we hate Taikowa t now kind of thing, you know. But I like Jojo Rabbit. I still do same.
Speaker 3: I thought that was a really you know, talk about a movie that's a really unique story. Yeah, you know that could have totally not worked in someone else's hands, perfectly handled by him, but but also perfectly calibrated heart humor.
Speaker 2: Two very similar films in that way. I think Comfortable People and Jojo Rabbit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I would say also, I don't personally, I don't feel like I've turned on him or anything. I just feel like I want to keep seeing things from him, and hopefully he's seeing how later stuff has been received, and he's like, Okay, maybe a little less of this, maybe a little more of this. I still think he's a really interesting and funny filmmaker.
Speaker 2: So I agree.
Speaker 3: I watched two TV shows. I'll mention real quick. I had mentioned a couple episodes ago that I watched a movie called Nirvana, the band, the show, the movie, right, And this was a you know, real low budget indie movie that had come out, and it's it's difficult to describe, but basically it's about these two guys and they desperately want to play at this small music venue in Toronto, and the whole movie is it's almost like a Looney Tunes cartoon where they come up with these plans and schemes that they think will get them a show booked there. Instead of just going there and asking can we play, they're like, well, hi, hang a giant banner across the street, or maybe we'll put on a parade and they'll notice us in the parade, and then you know, everything, of course, spins out of control, and a funny component is, or two funny components. There's sort of a Borat like thing happening where they come up with the plan, but then they go out into the real world and interact with real people as they're doing their schemes, and sometimes these people they'll have their faces blurred. They'll say something as a suggestion, and then our heroes will run with that like it will affect the plot in kind of a funny and clever way. And then on top of that, it's very pop culture heavy, So the movie is basically a long riff on back to the future. And anyway, this came originally as a web series and then it was a TV show through Vice TV or something that it was not easily available until now. It's available on Hulu along with the movie, So if people are interested in the movie and then checking out the series, you can find it on Hulu. So I started the series, dude, this is like some of the hardest I've laughed since. I think you should leave right. Oh my gosh. The first episode. I won't get into it because I don't want to spoil the jokes, but it's a Jurassic Park kind of. It's not a riff on Jurassic Park, but it references it a lot. And it's not like they just reference the big moments that you know. They referenced these really small moments like at the end when Hammond and everything is wrapped up in Hammond is on the helicopter Paddock and he's sort of staring at his island. He's got to leave it now and he's lost in thought, and then sam Neil grabs his arm and Hammond's like what and kind of turns around, and then he leads them to the helicopter. Like they reference that moment but without putting, you know, a spotlight on it. You just have to know it, Okay, And so it's just and then I sent you a clip this morning actually where they were referencing a Fresh Prince of bel Air episode. Yeah, and it was so subtle that I thought, wait a minute, this is fresh Prince, right, like the way he's talking and the thing. And then they'll like kind of like, yeah, right, get it fresh Prince.
Speaker 2: You know it.
Speaker 3: Just it's made me laugh out loud. There's only sixteen episodes, and I'm actually sort of cherishing them. I'm not watching multiple in a row because I just want to spread it out as long as I can. So it's it's very very particular. It's a very particular flavor. It's hard to broadly recommend. But I do think most people who enjoy our show and enjoy the things we will will find this funny. So I would I would say, real quick, I would recommend watching the movie first, actually okay, and then go to the show. Okay, but anyway, yeah, what were you going to say?
Speaker 2: Sorry, Well, no, you mentioned I think you should leave, and I wanted to say, you know, I after obsession, I ended up checking out the various web shorts that that Curry Barker and Cooper Tomlinson. You you've been doing right, and their channels called that's a bad idea. It's good, it's good title and and man you can see the I think you should leave influence just all over it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you sent me one. Yeah, and it was very funny. I mean it was like a very simple idea, but the execution was so good. Yeah, you know, and so it made me want to watch more of his stuff for sure.
Speaker 2: Very funny. And it's interesting because what I find fascinating is like you've got you know, Key and Peel, which started as a comedy duo and then you know, Jordan Peele makes a jump to horror films and it's kind of the same DNA here m, you know, And I think it's just one of those things where the line between horror and humor is very thin.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it all comes down to when you call cut you know, yeah, exactly, Yeah, you know, like obsession. You can see the comedy sketch version of that totally. You know, in fact, there are there are lots of comedy sketch versions inspired by Obsession. Now, but right that initial premise, you know, the fact that you just turn the dial a little bit and becomes horror. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and sort of like what I said about the short you sent me. It is a simple idea on paper. You can imagine if someone sent you that idea and was like, we should shoot this, I'd be like, are you sure? Yeah, but the execution was so funny and particular that it was funny and worth it. And I'd say the same thing about obsession. It's like you say it on paper, it's like, oh, you know, a guy which is the girl would become, you know, fall madly in love with him, and then it goes a little crazy. You're like, oh, okay, yeah, I guess I can see that. But then you see the execu cutionin and you go, oh, this is really really good, either the particulars of it or what makes it so special.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, actually, while we're talking about comedy duos putting stuff out on YouTube, this is one of my favorite channels, and I introduced you to these guys recently too, Chris and Jack. Yes, just that's the YouTube channel, Chris and Jack. These guys make some of the funniest shorts. They're so well made and they have great premises.
Speaker 3: Yes, the premises are so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great premises executed really well. I mean that's I'm not even gonna say anything. Just check out that YouTube channel. You guys will enjoy it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah. When I was visiting you recently, we watched like a Couple in a Row and it was so funny.
Speaker 2: I force fed a few of them.
Speaker 3: That's the way to do it sometimes. Actually I force fed our friend Seawn came over the other day and we were going to do something. I'm like, yeah, but first I'm going to show you Nirvana the band the show. Okay, like, sit here, sit close all the curtains, make sure there's no glare in the tea to distract just I was like, you will love.
Speaker 2: This mission accomplished.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, he was laughing, so I was happy, which and the reason he came over was because on this show a few episodes ago, I mentioned that I had never seen the show. Cheers exactly, that's what That's what you did. That's what Sean did.
Speaker 2: Wherever he was listening to our episode, both of our audience did the same thing.
Speaker 3: That's exactly. Yeah, like that gift from Nikki Gunn through, I was gonna say that absolutely gonna everybody's slapping their forehead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know it's funny.
Speaker 3: I was talking about this with someone yesterday, and you know, people may not they're not going to agree and they may not understand, but there was something when you were younger. A lot of people talk about the show Mash and when they were younger, there was something kind of sleepy feeling about it. Maybe a theme song or it's got this real earthy green palette to it, and it was something their dad's watch, but they didn't want to watch. I get that, Yeah, And I mentioned that I had started Cheers and it was I'll just doubt her. It was my brother's wife, and she was like, she's like, you know, I had the same feeling about Cheers because it was older people. It was very brown looking, and it just wasn't something I wanted to stop on. And I actually I had a similar sort of feeling. It just looked yeah, kind of old, kind of I don't know, honestly, the color palette sort of was like.
Speaker 2: Okay, Cheers was present tense for us though, come on now.
Speaker 3: Well it started in nineteen eighty two, I was two years old.
Speaker 2: Sure, but it ended when you were in junior high.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I just in junior high. I was watching and some things that referenced stuff that I understood a little bit more. Look, I don't know about you, but when I was in junior high, I was I related so much to Sam Malone, you know, just hitting on all the women. Yes, you know, no, But my point is, like, I remember when Cheers ended, which was again it was well, you were one year under me, right, so I was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was in eighth grade, and it was like it was the first like pop culture phenomenon that I felt like I was a part of, you know, after moving back to the States, because everybody was talking about the Cheers finality in eighth grade.
Speaker 3: I remember, I do remember this. I remember this.
Speaker 2: That's fair Like that itself is kind of fascinating, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And by the way, it wasn't one of those things where I was like Cheers like, so I get it. It just did not capture my attention, and then before you know it, decades went by.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true. Well, and it's funny because then, yeah, as I got a little bit older around that time, I guess Seinfeld, Yeah, it was starting and I watched Seinfeld as it was going and you know all that.
Speaker 2: Stuff, so that was your thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But anyway, so Sean, he was like, I'm coming over, We're sitting down, We're like going to order a pizza and we're gonna watch like five episodes of Cheers. Wow. And I mean, I don't think it's any surprise. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Now, did you date he curate five episodes for you to watch?
Speaker 3: No, we started with the pilot. Really yeah. Interesting, And I got to say, you know, as a screenwriter, I was just marveling at like, pilots are hard because you're trying to establish a show and convince people that they're going to want to watch this every week, you know, spend their time coming back to this premise. These characters, you know, this humor. It's really tricky because in a pilot, you also have to introduce these people. So you have to use this shorthand where like I'm the I'm the scrappy one, I'm the lifario, I'm the drunk, I'm you know, and you've got to do it really quickly and in a way that feels authentic to these characters with jokes that are actually funny, and I was just marveling at the pilot how well they executed that. It immediately introduces the world, introduces the characters, and this, you know, it's from nineteen eighty two. It's a style of sitcom we don't see as often anymore. Actually, Sean and I talked to that because we watched Nirvana, the Band of the Show and this, and we're like, how funny to watch something sort of more modern where it feels a little scrappier and the editing's crazy and you know, the camera zooming in and out kind of office style, and then to watch something a little more classical. And I felt so at home in that classical style. And you could watch another SCCUM from nineteen eighty two and it wouldn't be the same. What makes this show so good is you realize you're in the hands of masters, Like the writing is so it is that sitcom style. You know, they set up a thing and then there's a joke, but it's not like a bump bump joke, bump bump joke. It really does feel like it's coming from the characters. You know, it's coming from the circumstances, and some jokes I saw coming, and I marveled at the execution and some jokes I didn't see coming, and I laughed out loud. And the atmosphere is just so it's funny. The brown now and I wouldn't even call it brown, like the wood bar and all of that. It's very warm, it's very cozy. It's very cozy. And Shelley Long Yeah, I just frankly really haven't seen her in much. I'm aware of who she is, but I was like, wow, she's very funny, right, She's her and Ted Danson had this immediate chemistry, right, and yeah. It was one of those things where I'm like, this is perfect. Now, this is my It's ten PM. I know I'm only gonna be wakeing for like another hour. I can watch two or three of these.
Speaker 2: Well, this is good. I feel I feel like Sean and I kind of tag teamg on this, you know.
Speaker 3: Like, was this you guys working behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: No, but I feel like I got the ball rolling by virtue of talking with you about this on the show. Yeah, and then that planted the seat and Sean to just dragoon you into you know, so inadvertently we double team.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent Actually I thought you were going to say, like you figured out, you know, you let all the air out of my tires. And I was like, oh, well, I'm stuck at home today, I can't go anywhere. And Shohn's like, well, I'm in your neighborhood and I have a pizza already, So what that clever?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like to think I manifested it, you know.
Speaker 3: Right, right? Right?
Speaker 2: No? Absolutely, Well, So first of all, you're you're you're in for eleven seasons of a solid show, and you know how many shows can you say that about? Right. It's not one of those things where it's like, oh yeah, by season eight it starts to dip or whatever. No, it stays consistently good for more than a decade. It stays consistently good even after Shelley Long leaves, which is itself. I mean, she's such a center of gravity on that show. And it's I mean, you know, you had these like kind of major cast changes because coach, you know, Nicholas Colesanto he passed away, and oh how to you replace it? Well you get Woody.
Speaker 3: Harrelson, which Sean mentioned that and I was like, oh, yeah, I forget Yeah, just the day because they have on Pluto, they have just a cheers channel, right, So usually that's my like just on in the background while I'm doing stuff. Oh funny for me, it's family Ties on Pluto.
Speaker 2: Oh there you go. Yeah with Pluto, man, I'm telling you this is good, great streaming gold right there. But they had there's a two part episode. It's It's when Woody gets married. Sorry spoiler, Holy crap. Sean brought up this episode too, did he really?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How funny. So it's a two parter and I was I've seen it before, but I was watching it then I'm gonna ended up sitting down watching it and I am. My daughter, she's nine. She ended up watching it, and I'm just like, you know, this is it's it's a two parter, and it's it's about our group trying to make sure Woody's wedding goes off without a hitch. But it's all contained in the kitchen of his fiance's parents' house. Yeah, they live in this big mansion, so we never see anything that's going on outside of this kitchen, right, So people are entering in and out and it's just it's just mad. It's like watching a play, right, I.
Speaker 3: Really hope Sean is hearing this, because this is he was talking exactly about this.
Speaker 2: Really. Yes, yes, it's so funny, and I mean it's a masterpiece. I was just mastering at you know, it's great writing and just you know, the performance is just everything works, and you know this is this was season gosh, I want to say season ten, so very near the end, but you're like, man, they were just I mean it's so near the end and they were just firing on all cylinders. You know. It's it's just good show. That's why I'm excited. I'm like, oh, man, you got you got a great show waiting for you.
Speaker 3: You know, well, I thank you both. I'm happy that I finally got started. And sometimes that's what it takes, right, someone literally holding you down and being like watch and then you go, oh this is great, and then then you get started.
Speaker 2: Next stop, Star Trek, the next Generation.
Speaker 3: All right, bring it up. Well you've done that. You've shown me. See, like you were saying earlier, you curated a little bit, and you showed me a couple episodes that you knew I would have a reaction to, and it made me think, oh, okay, so yeah, it started a next generation cool, not so bad.
Speaker 2: We got some headlines Brian extra.
Speaker 3: Well some sad news to kick things off. Screenwriter William Wisher Junior has passed away, and people would know him best for uh he's not credited but for helping to write The Terminator and he co wrote Terminator to Judgment Day.
Speaker 2: So he co wrote both films, but he's only credited on the second one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think he contributed a lot to the Terminator, and so James Cameron brought him on then as a co writer for Terminator too. They are were friends since they were teenage friends, right, yeah, exactly. They've known each other a long time and and people are probably very familiar with Wisher's face because he is seen, well, he's seen in both movies. He plays a cop yep in The Terminator and in Terminator two, in that mall sequence when Arnold is thrown through that glass window, Wisher plays the man with the camera who's taking the picture as the Terminator stands back.
Speaker 2: Up, who we have no reason to think is not the same person from the first film. Yeah, right, well, and he has that like look of almost recognition on his face.
Speaker 3: Yeah he does, doesn't he?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's funny. As a kid, he always reminded me of Bill Campbell from The Rocketeer totally. Oh yeah, he kind of resembles him, same ear, same summer. Oh yeah, yeah yeah, but yeah, I was sad to see this. Obviously, The Terminator and especially Terminator two, is you know, foundational for us.
Speaker 2: Not only is it, you know, certainly for you and I and people of our vintage. It has a very special place, I would think. But I mean that screenplay for the second film is a Swiss watch of a thing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Is legitimately, like you can teach classes about that screenplay and guess what Bill Wisher gets to stake his claim on that, you know.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely. I mean it's brought up often as one of the greatest action movies of all time, but I think it goes beyond just the action. Why everybody loves it so much and continues to revisit it, and why it's being celebrated this year it's thirty fifth anniversary being re released in theaters. I think in August. It's because the characters are amazing, the story is incredible, the heart, you know, beats through the whole thing. I mean, it is a not just a great action film, it's a great film. So other credits of wishers, he did Judge Dread, The Thirteenth Warrior, Exorcist, The Beginning, Live Free, or die Hard, And he also punched up a bunch of scripts. He punched up die Hard with a Vengeance, Broken Arrow eraser.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, well, and and he had a commentary track that he recorded with Jim Cameron m for T two and I highly recommend that commentary for anybody who's who's interested in how that movie is put together. Cameron, I mean, he's not as reticent about doing commentaries as some of his his you know, your Spielberg's or whatnot. But I mean, you know, I think it is. It does feel relatively rare.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's that's a good point. It's interesting. I mean it feels like for a while we were getting so many directors commentaries, right, and we almost didn't know how good we had it. That's true because we're not getting those much anymore. And some directors we would love to hear from, like you said, just don't feel like doing them. Maybe they don't want to do let us into their heads or some thing. But someone like James Cameron, of all people and one of the greatest filmmakers of his generation. The fact that he brings people in and shares the thinking and the decision making and everything behind the scenes, that's that's pretty special.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that. I mean, we've spent quite a bit of time talking about the Terminator films on this show, and I think one thing we've learned with our commentary tracks for the various sequels, the non James Cameron sequels, is that William Wisher clearly brought something essential because whatever ineffable thing is in those first two films is not present in the sequels.
Speaker 3: That's a great point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, you know, I think it's a it's a shame. I know that there was a there's a character on the television show named after him. He's like a future resistance leader, Bill Wisher.
Speaker 3: Oh that's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they definitely honored him. Uh. I'm assuming there will be more Terminators. But unfortunately, you know, it was always kind of like in the back of my mind, like, well, you know, maybe maybe rope him in a little bit and get his take, you know, absolutely, Yeah, well we're not gonna have that, but hopefully whatever next thing happens with the Terminator. I hope they learned some some of whatever he bought to it. You know, Chet check out that commentary if you haven't heard it. It's very good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know I I did. I think back in the day when I first got the DVDs, I just devoured yeah, all of the special features. But that's something that would be fun to revisit, definitely.
Speaker 2: Especially now. Yeah, he will be missed so real quick. I wanted to mention this. This just broke earlier today. And I know you're a big clueless fan, Brian. Yeah, you're gonna be happy to know that share is coming back. As if we're gonna get more wits of horror Witz. This is a Now. This was developed as a streaming series for Peacock, okay, and Peacock said as if they said no thanks, and Paramount was more than happy to pick it up, considering it as a Paramount property.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know why Peacock passed, but it's going to be a special limited run series streaming on Peacock and.
Speaker 3: It is U wait on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 2: Sorry did I say Peacock, Yeah, Paramount Plus. It will not be streaming on Peacock. Sorry, Peacock, your loss, Peacock has molted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Peacock off, that's right. Whatever.
Speaker 2: You know. What's funny is I just read that Peacock, for the first time, has had a profitable year.
Speaker 3: I was actually gonna mention that because I remember, notably they were losing like billions or something for a while, and it felt like as we were looking at all these new streamers pop up and we were like, what are you doing? You know, yeah, putting you know, these not so great streaming shows on there losing money. It was like, I don't know what's what's the thinking here, but they must have had some sort of graph that said, oh just wait. Twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: One thing I want to say about Peacock before we get back to the clueless show. You know we have Do you have Peacock?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I have the free like because I have Comcast. Okay, so it has ads, okay, oh okay, okay, and that's fine.
Speaker 3: I don't mind.
Speaker 2: But you know, my daughter, she loves Punky Brewster. Yes, Punky Brewster's on Peacock. She loves watching she watches it, she watches it again. I'm like, Hey, is Sherry stuck in the fridge again? And she said, Yep, She's been stuck in the fridge many a time. Based on how many times my daughter's ought to be between the Challenger exploding and Cherry being stuck in the fridge, I feel like my daughter has got multiple generations worth of trauma based on manytimes she's seen those episodes.
Speaker 3: I was surprised to be able to talk about the Challenger tragedy with your daughter because she's learned all about it from Punky Brewster.
Speaker 2: From she's like and then buzz Aldron showed up. However, here's the thing, maybe Peacock should be a little aware of what ads they put on, what shows going to put out there, that maybe Love Island is not the thing to be advertising during Punky Brewster episodes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Right, so you know you've got oh, what's Henry gonna do? And then just people humping humping each other, humpin' objects, just humps away seems seems not well thought out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, isn't that a thing on YouTube where there's a certain version of YouTube for kids where the ads are more controlled.
Speaker 2: I actually don't know because I have YouTube Premium.
Speaker 3: Okay, someone was telling me about Oh well yeah, so that would affect you. But that makes a lot of sense to me, right, I mean yeah, during children's programming, yeah, it feels like but I'm sure they just have these little pins or something in there for the ad breaks and then they just fill them with whatever ad package they have for that month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's a little much, you know, unskippable ads of Love Island, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But anyway, but all of that is to say, so that's my uh, you know, that's how I use Peacock. But when it comes to the profitability aspect of it, uh, they signed a deal with YouTube so that anyone who has YouTube Premium will be able to access Peacock shows through YouTube.
Speaker 3: Hey good deal.
Speaker 2: So kind of kind of smart.
Speaker 3: And will that be without ads?
Speaker 2: Well, if you have YouTube Premium, it would, oh but would.
Speaker 3: It for Peacock. I we'll find out.
Speaker 2: I guess we'll find out. We'll find out together. Okay, okay, but the the Clueless sequel series, this is something with that. When you and I talked about the film when we did our commentary track, I can't remember, I feel like you were sort of circumspect on the idea of revisiting this world.
Speaker 3: I think so because they've tried doing things like this before. I mean with Clueless, there was a series for a while and I don't know, it just sometimes it feels like there's a certain thing that hits just right where trying to do it again is just you can't help but miss yeah, you know, and you just can't capture that magic again. And I'm Clueless is so unique, right, I mean, it was so of its time somehow manages to feel weirdly timeless in a way because it's not just nineties. It's sort of this heightened version of the nineties. Yeah, right, So it is in a universe all by itself, and that makes the movie special and makes me think it might be difficult to try to recreate that whatever that is that sheniks a quah, you know of the film in series four. But well, actually is Amy Heckerling involved?
Speaker 2: Uh that is a good question. I do not see her name, I.
Speaker 3: Mean shares her creation.
Speaker 2: Uh, well, I hope she's getting paid if nothing else. Yeah, yeah, I don't see her name listed. Okay, here's the let me let me see if this synopsis tickles your fancy.
Speaker 3: I'm very curious. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Picking up thirty years after the original film they loved, Beverly Hill's icon cher, horror Witz has figured out a lot. She's successful in business and has mastered motherhood, that is, until her daughter's high school years, and Share finds that parenting a teenager makes her feel a clueless all over again.
Speaker 3: This good? It's good. Uh, you just I can't believe. This didn't even cross my mind, but it made me realize that, yes, this is going to be about her kid.
Speaker 2: This girl meets world all over again, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's going to be about a generation I don't understand. Yeah, And will they try to, yeah, make it feel like twenty twenty six or will they try to do a heightened version of twenty twenty six? I don't know.
Speaker 2: So you're gonna watch this thing and you're gonna feel like Wallace Sean Yes, or what's the Dan hideya? You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I mean, has their daughter going to be like an influencer? And I don't know, I mean, you know what hey like? Again. I wish Heckerling was involved because she is the author of Clueless.
Speaker 2: That is true. I wish Paul Redd was involved.
Speaker 3: I wonder if you will well whoa, hey, that's yeah. Did they stay together?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying, right, I don't want them to not be together.
Speaker 3: See that's the problem when you do these legacyquels. Right, it's like, yeah, Han Solo and Lea broke up. It's like, well I don't like that.
Speaker 2: I don't like it either, you know, not one bit.
Speaker 3: But you know what, I will check it out.
Speaker 2: You know, what I realize is something like this new clueless. It's like when we were kids and those the New leave it to Beaver. Yes, right, that's like what it is. Right, that is a great point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is strange seeing uh, what's his name, Jerry Mathers like as a dad. Well, we'll see.
Speaker 2: He's like a single dad on the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wait, what do you think? What's your take on this?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll watch it and know it's it's a limited series, so that makes me. That makes me feel like they can maybe pony up, like maybe they can get Paul rud in there since it is just a limited series type of thing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, I I I'm all about revisiting share but I don't think you can replicate what happened. And and to your point, I'm interested in Share and what she's up to and not what her what her daughter, you know, I don't. I don't care about SHARE's daughter. I don't know who her daughter is? Not interested?
Speaker 3: Did you see there's a Legally Blonde prequel happening right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The prequel? I did say it. Yeah, I'm I'm definitely not the audience for that. But are you are you gonna check that out?
Speaker 3: No? I mean I like, I like the movie, but I'm not like big a fan of it, and so I I don't know. But it's just interesting, like taking these sort of classic movies that have these very specific tones, which is why I think they're beloved, and it's interesting seeing them try to milk more out of them.
Speaker 2: I guess do we need a Do we need a Legally Blonde prequel? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean it makes me wonder what it could be about, because it can't be about the premise of the movie that we love, you know, because she hasn't done it yet.
Speaker 2: Then again, Uh, do we need a Christmas Carol prequel?
Speaker 3: Well? Is it a prequel?
Speaker 2: It is? Yeah, they have a new movie coming out. It got a lot of hype at Comic Con this past weekend, starring Johnny Depp as Ebeneezer.
Speaker 3: Well, you know him as Scrooge, but what is the tagline? Something like you he was screwged before he Scrooge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was Ebeneezer, which, as many a person has pointed out online, he was Scrooge even when he was Ebenezer. That's how names work.
Speaker 3: Before he was Hasan, he was zacky, right, very so.
Speaker 2: Uh Now, I I'm I question the wisdom of making that film, but I have to admit it has offered a bumper crop of of hilarious responses on social media like what well, I like, one person said this, this looks like the most thirty rock cutaway ass movie I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: I yes, yeah, I did see that. With the poster it definitely yeah looks.
Speaker 2: Wait like it just sounds like something where you know Alec Baldwin be like Lemon. We've got Johnny Depp developing Christmas Girl prequel and then.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good. Well, I I will say when I was working at Paramount a little bit ago, this movie was being edited directly down the hall. Wow, I was hearing Silent Night over and over and over all day.
Speaker 2: Now it's directed by ty West. M hm. That is the only thing that has me interested that ty West did the X trilogy.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and I know we especially liked Pearl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like that, I'm kind of like, Okay, so maybe they're they're lulling us into thinking it's some kind of family holiday thing.
Speaker 3: See, I'm curious because it did look I mean, we do see ghosts, right, so I have to assume they eventually get to the story that we know. But it looked and I don't mean this in a bad way, but it just looked very tim burtony and not because of Johnny Depp, but like the tone of the trailer felt scary but accessible or something. Sure, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean I do wonder like haven't we done this enough? Like hasn't hasn't this story been plumbed? Like pretty well at this point? Okay, here's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 3: A yes, and B if you were to show your kids a Christmas Carol, what would you show them?
Speaker 2: Oh, mupp at Christmas carolot?
Speaker 3: Well there you go. Okay, see I've seen that one once, but that's not part of my I don't know, cannon or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just somehow missed it when it came out. So I was just thinking, I don't know. I know, there's a classic black and white one. I know, there's that Jim Carrey one.
Speaker 2: It's either Mickey's Christmas Carol or mupp at Christmas Carol. Those are the only ones.
Speaker 3: Mickey is like the only other one I really know. So as well known as that story is, I guess I wasn't sure which one I would put in front of somebody, so I can sort of see, like, Okay, let's make a modern one.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I mean, didn't they do that? Yeah, I mean you mentioned that Jim Carrey one. Isn't that quote unquote the modern one?
Speaker 3: I suppose, but it that whole motion capture, Oh yeah, kind of creeping instead.
Speaker 2: Of Zamechas's bugaboo that he just won't let go. I will say, when it comes to mump at Christmas Caroll, you got Michael Caine as Screwge and my man showed up. He doesn't care that he's acting opposite a felt frog. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I need to rewatch that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's bringing it, you know. Yeah, Well, it's not the only bit of news that came out. Actually, before we even leave it completely in the past, when is Clueless coming out sometime in twenty twenty seven, it's as filming is slated to begin in twenty twenty seven. Okay, so probably I would suspect like a year from now, Yeah, it feels summary. Yeah, or sometime in the spring, in the fall, excuse me. There's also a lot of Marvel news that came out of San Diego.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, con is this past weekend. Did you attend, by the way, No, I haven't been. Speaking of the Dark Knight Rises, I haven't been since the summer the Dark Knight Rises came out, because I remember they had the tumbler and they had these stickers they were giving everybody that were the chalk bat symbols that were left all over the city.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I have a.
Speaker 3: Handful of those in my desk somewhere.
Speaker 2: Not you.
Speaker 3: When was the last time you've been.
Speaker 2: To San Diego? Never? Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, because we did Wonder Con together.
Speaker 2: We did wonder Con and then he all stole it from us up here in the Bay Area and San Diego. Too many people not interested.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean those days maybe behind you and I yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean we find out all the news instantly, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that is kind of nice. Usually the trailers drop online pretty.
Speaker 2: Much immediately, almost immediately. Yeah. Yeah. So when it comes to Marvel business, they had a whole Avengers, Dog and Pony show.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: All the peeps were out there that that seemed kind of fun. But more interestingly, the casting that has been rumored for years at this point was finally confirmed with Ryan Gosling playing ghostwriter. Right, So this has been like in the mix since at least the early twenties.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, like fans have been clamoring for this, or has Gosling talked about.
Speaker 2: Gosling himself has said he would like to play ghostwriter, and so I would imagine that's one of those things where if that's something that he's out there actively saying, right, because we've said this before, right, Gosling is not like mister franchise guy. So the fact that he's got like back to back franchise movies and back to back years is itself pretty interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's cashing in all that Hail Mary Goodwill.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and now this is kind of a family affair, right. I mean Ava Mendez was in the Nicholas Cage Ghostwriter, right, That's right.
Speaker 2: She was. She was their love interest in the first one. Yeah, which, by the way, I'm looking forward to any minute now all the folks being like, you know, the original Ghostwriter, that's the underrated way, y'all, y'all slept on it or whatever freaking bullshit people are gonna say.
Speaker 3: Is it not good? I haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: It's I'm gonna say, it's you know, it's not not my rhythm?
Speaker 3: Yes, nice, nice, but hey, you know.
Speaker 2: That that might be an excuse for you and I to revisit it right in a couple of years.
Speaker 3: Actually, I yeah, I kind of want to.
Speaker 2: Que it up right now. Now. What's interesting? I have two thoughts. Number one, does the fact that Mahershala Ali's Blade never got made and doesn't look like it's in danger of getting made, does that mean that this movie is more likely to get made or we should be wary until we're actual watching it.
Speaker 3: That's a good point. I mean, do we know officially why Blade fillipart?
Speaker 2: My sense? Well, what I read was an interview with Fige. I don't know when, but he was like, we didn't want to just put Marshalla in a leather jacket and have him start killing vampires. And I was like, excuse me, mister Figg, Well, why don't we want to do that? Isn't that that's what we want to see? Right? Like? So they went through multiple drafts, multiple directors, and I think they've thrown in the towel. I don't. I'm hearing it's either canceled officially or all butt canceled, you know which I don't. I don't get it because I'm like, you've got a two time Academy wardbinner who wants to play the role.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, it sounds like they had a take also, right, something set in the past, and I guess Sinners Coogler's movie inherited some of the costumes from Blade. Yeah you mentioned that, So I in my head, I'm like, oh, okay, so it was a period piece.
Speaker 2: My man got one line off camera in all of this business, so I think he deserves it. But all of this is to say, I think it makes it more likely that Ghostwriter does happen, right, Yeah, I think so. Right, But apparently it was one of those things where it wasn't just let's, you know, figure it out together. It was it was Ryan Gosling, while making Star Wars Starfighter with Sean Levy, came up with an idea with Sean Levy, and the two of them pitched it to Marvel and that's what they've gone with. So what I see a lot of online is people happy about Gosling but nonplussed about Sean Levy.
Speaker 3: These are two different conversations. But something I want to say before I forget it's interesting Ryan Gosling. He's such a big star, of course, but most of the time you want to see Ghostwriter. You want to see a animated flaming skull, right, So I mean I wonder how much he'll actually be seen in the movie, like, or how they'll divvy that up in a way that's satisfying and capitalizing on having this big star.
Speaker 2: That is definitely a thought that I have having seen the Nicholas Cage versions. You know, basically Cage is out of the picture once the Ghostwriter shows up, you know. Yeah, so it's like, how interesting can you make the biker side?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Hopefully Gozzling at some point eats jelly beans out of a wine glass. Because if you don't do that, what are you even doing?
Speaker 3: It's funny. I haven't even seen the movie and I know that I know what that is.
Speaker 2: Now now that old film from seven was directed by Mark Stephen Johnson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, he of.
Speaker 2: Daredevil and that you know in the movie with the Little Boy was you you're talking about?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: So I'm like furiously going through IMDb right now. Simon Birch, Simon Burch, that's it. I was like Stuart Little No, that's sense.
Speaker 3: It's definitely not.
Speaker 2: Uh, Simon Burch, because I remember the director of Simon Burch gets Daredevil and people are like, what in the what? Uh? And then the director of Simon Birch and Daredevil gets ghost Rider, right, and people like what in the what? And then he hasn't done anything since then.
Speaker 3: So I haven't seen Daredevil since two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is it good?
Speaker 3: Like I mean now with all this distance and it existing in the moment that it did, it's of that style the early Oughts. Is it like fun?
Speaker 2: I think that I don't think it's good, okay, but I think in the right state of mind you can pop it in and you will get a you will get a time machine of a movie, you know, yeah, right that that is the most two thousand and three movie that ever a movie two thousand and three, right, I mean it doesn't have like evan essence just up the yuna. It is like needle drop Palooza and it is like two thousand and two slash two thousand and three needle drops you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, nothing wrong with evan essence. But like just very of that moment, I have this memory of electra training inside.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, plus he's doing that. Yeah, It's it's funny because I mean you have just like a rogues gallery of amazing actors in that movie, and I would say almost none of them are served.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, Colin Ferrell, I remember.
Speaker 2: Colin Ferrell, Michael Clark, Duncan, Joey Pants obviously, Ben Affleck, Jennifer, I mean, David Keith, I mean a lot of people. John Favreau, right, John Favreau, Yeah, exactly. So that's weird, you know, yeah. I so, so, just to circle all the way back, there is a director's cut, which is better.
Speaker 3: I remember this, yeah, but not so better.
Speaker 2: That it becomes good.
Speaker 3: Okay, gotcha.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't mean the movie's not worth watching.
Speaker 3: I can see that because, as you know, sometimes I enjoy the time machine aspect of revisiting.
Speaker 2: Still, you'll get that for sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, this I mean Daredevil was the first Marvel superhero picture after Spider Man. Wow. Oh yeah, I guess so, huh like it has.
Speaker 2: This weird place in the in the chronology because he had Spider Man. Uh, Spring of two, and then Daredevil was was February of three.
Speaker 3: Man, I remember that so well. That was the first movie I ever saw at the Chinese theater, is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow, that's that's one of In fact, that is the last movie I saw in the theater in Chicago before I moved here.
Speaker 3: Oh really, wow, that's something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that year was you had Daredevil, you had X Men two, and you had Hulk, the Angley Hulk.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, what a what a time?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if you want to watch Daredevil, watch the television show the right, the Netflix Slash Disney plus you're gonna get awesome Daredevil. If you want just a weird uh, you know, just dip your head into two thousand and three Americana, then pop in either cut of Daredevil. How did we get here. Oh yes, Sean Levy. Okay, yes, So Sean Levy I think is a good director.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, I I don't understand why he gets picked on so much.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he gets picked on because people look at like Night at the Museum.
Speaker 3: Completely above competent level execution of a kid's movie.
Speaker 2: But but kid's movie, right, because here's the thing. He made Real Steal, a movie that you and I both like very much, right, and yet before that movie came out, that got pegged as kid movie. So I think he's just got like that kid movie label.
Speaker 3: I gotcha, I got you.
Speaker 2: Even though he directed Deadpool and Wolverine, which has more profanity than about eight R rated movies put together, right right, right, right, So right away I was like, why would you have Sean Levy directing it? And I'm like, well, the point is that him and Gosling obviously like vibed on something.
Speaker 3: And he and Ryan Reynolds vibe too. I mean, obviously people like this guy, right, It's not like he has some signature style. I'll give him that.
Speaker 2: He has the Ryan's seal of approval. He does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I just I feel like he I guess it depends on the material, right, But you know, I mean I think.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like, Look, if you're expecting like some kind of R rated horror thing out of the MCU movies, then probably that's a U problem.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is, it's gonna be like a PG thirteenish thing. I mean, you know, maybe it's R rated. We'll see. But but I'm willing to wait and see. The other thing is I really honestly like I think Dared. I mean, I think ghost Writer's fine. I think he's you know, interesting visual. It's not like I have a huge, you know, emotional attachment to the character, so that like my point is, suddenly it's like the Odyssey. Suddenly we have these ghost writer scholars coming out of the woodwork, right right. I find this all just disgraceful and disrespectful to the source material. Shut up, shut up.
Speaker 3: By the way, Levy, he has produced a lot of interesting things. He produced back rooms, stranger things. I think most people know. Uh never let go Arrival.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize he produced Arrival. That's interesting. So we got Levy and Gosling with Starfighter next summer, and then we got ghost Writer. The year after that sounds fun. Yeah, it's crazy. And then and then also in twenty twenty eight, we also have Black Panther three. Oh yeah, that's right, and Ryan Coogler announced that the actor playing the Black Panther in this film will be David Johnson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who we like.
Speaker 2: We both like. Yeah, So I took note of him in Alien Romulus. You saw him in The Long Walk also.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, yeah, I liked him in both. He stood out in both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely solid, Like he got on my radar there. I wasn't thinking about him for this. But the role is not To'chala as in Chadwick Boseman's T'Challa, but the son of T'Challa, who he saw as a child in the second Black Panther film. He's grown up somehow and he's the new.
Speaker 3: Guy somehow to Ch'alla's son has aged.
Speaker 2: Well. I mean, this is arriving after Avengers Secret Wars, which is some kind of a reset, so I guess you can have a time jump after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 2: But what was gratifying was there was just a lot of really goodwill about this announcement. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's a great idea. I mean you know, they were between a rock and a hard place when Chadwick Boseman died, and a lot of people had different opinions about what they should do, and at the end of the day, I think, wait a little bit turned out to be the right answer.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting. I my thought had been that they should they should take a knee weight and then come back just recast to Challa the first the original I remember, Yeah, and I still feel like if they had done that, I think that would have been fine. I don't think people would have been that upset. But I think ultimately what you realize is that they needed to make the second movie the way they did because they, meaning the people making it, needed to grieve Chadwick Boseman.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what you realize is that's what that movie is. It's a bridge, right, you know. And so I think now, as you said, they've waited a little bit, and you know, the nerve is less raw, and so we have an opportunity to continue to pay homage to to Bozeman's version of the character and pay that forward while while allowing David Johnson not to be indebted to that characterization to be able to make it his own. So I think there's definitely value in that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you may have mentioned this, but Ryan Kugler's back, that's right, Yeah, what we would all want.
Speaker 2: So that's yeah. I mean, if if Coogler didn't want to do it, then I would say don't do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't think that was even an option him not coming back. I think I think he knows how important this franchise is to so many people.
Speaker 3: And I think that's cool because he's in a position where he can do anything he wants, that's right, And so that he's making Black Panther three makes me feel excited. That's yeah, you know. And I mean by the time it comes out, it will have been what five five years, I think twenty twenty two, right, the second one came out. Oh wow, so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's a pretty sizable gap. And what I'm realizing is, you know, not all gaps are equal, obviously, because I think I think they probably waited too long for Jumanji three. But like for some of these franchises, that scarcity is useful.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you brought that up. I was thinking this and I wasn't sure how to contextualize it. But that's perfect with Jumanji because this is a movie where it's connected to a universe that we're all still paying attention to. Yeah, so it has this interesting sort of cushion where we can wait a little bit longer for it to come out and we're still good because we're still paying attention to this universe. But if it had been, like, yeah, any other sort of franchise that was on its own, maybe we would have forgotten about it right in the same amount of time. So, and I still.
Speaker 2: Feel that Marvel has really done themselves a disservice by not jumping on a Shang Chi sequel. I mentioned this in our in our bonus show. It just baffles me, yeah, because I mean that's like a great asset that they're just letting with her on the mine. You know.
Speaker 3: Well, it will be really interesting to see where they go after these Avengers films, as you said, them being I guess a bit of a reset right now.
Speaker 2: That said, when it comes to Marvel, the Lord give it, the Lord take it away, HERCELOLEI already knows that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But in addition, it looks like Wonder Man season two, which was announced a few months ago is not in fact happening. There will be no more Wonder Man, Wonder no more.
Speaker 3: I know, we just learned this. This is a bummer, and I don't really understand what's going on here, because the show itself was probably the most well received Marvel thing in a while, right, I mean almost universally. Yeah, And I felt like most of the people I recommended it to, who are like, yeah, I guess so okay, like I haven't been paying attention to all the Disney Plus stuff, and almost everybody came back to me and told me how much they loved it.
Speaker 2: That's exactly it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now apparently they just never it never even got to the point where you had a writer's room or anything. It's just it just got decided not to continue. So I suspect that's performance based, yeah.
Speaker 3: Which I guess in a way I can see, I can understand that. I mean, it's it's not uh, that's kind of why we loved it. I mean, it felt like that thing we were saying about Disney Plus Marvel shows is do something you couldn't do in a movie.
Speaker 2: That's right, and.
Speaker 3: So make your WandaVision, which is really you know, several episodes, very weird, but resonant and does connect to the universe. And and then wonder Man, which didn't have a lot of superhero action in it, but was connected to that world and offered us great characters a really lovely story. But I can see some people tuning in and being like, well, where's the where's the fighting? You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think, well, here, here, I have a couple of times. It's funny because we just mentioned Shang Chi attrected by Daniel Creton, and of course testin Daniel Cretton has Spider Man brand New Day, which we're going to talk about in just a second. He was the guy who developed wonder Man, and so you think that Marvel would kind of keep him happy because I think they got a really great talent in house right now, right, So it's weird. You know. This is from Variety. It says, according to an individual with knowledge of the situation, while wonder Man is not proceeding with season two, the characters featured in the series could still appear in other Marvel products in the future. I'm sure, said the guy like making like a jerk off motion. Yeah, It's like, okay, sure, you know, yeah. I mean, honestly, what I was when they said season two, I'm like more of Yahia Ablomotine and Ben Kingsley doing their Buddy road show. You know, I was like more of that whatever they decided to do. So it does bum me out, but I guess just looking to the other side of it, if you didn't have a good idea and you know, maybe it's fine to just let it be. This this thing, I had.
Speaker 3: A similar feeling. I mean, I would love more of it, of course, But on the other hand, this thing was so unexpected for me and it was so different, and it does exist as this perfect season of television. Yeah, and so I'm glad it exists and I got to watch it, and you know better not to sully it.
Speaker 2: So here you go. Hey, look I I like that Brian on the subject of Blade, look at this. It's just the heavens opened and gave us the information we were looking for.
Speaker 3: Oh what happened?
Speaker 2: So Maharshawa Ali has done an interview with GQ. This is about a movie is coming up called Your Mother, Your Mother, Your Mother. Have you heard of this?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's directed by Bassam Tarik, who was going to direct the Blade movie. He was one of the like eight people who were lined up to direct before quote unquote creative differences.
Speaker 3: Interesting okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: See the title of the movie is interesting your mother, your mother, your mother, because that's Islamically that there's a story of you know, somebody approached a prophet Muhammad and said, who do I have to honor the most in life? Hmmm, and he's told your mother, and he says, and after that your mother, And after that your mother. Oh I love that, and after that your father. Huh right, your mother, your mother, your mother than your father. Yeah, you know, so it is you know, I mean, certainly for me, I understand that right away. Yeah, but I like that. For many people that title is like, well what does that mean? You know? Yeah? Like it.
Speaker 3: It makes you have to It's a good title on its own, and it's you have to lean in a little bit and understand you know, the concept and everything. And yeah, didn't mean something more.
Speaker 2: I love that, yeah, exactly. You know. So they ended up doing this movie together after not working together on Blade. So the entire interview with both of them is much more expansive in GQ, But here's the relevant bit we've mentioned the connection to Blade throughout our chat and Marvel boss Kevin Feigi recently made headlines by declaring that he feels like a quote failure for not getting your film off the ground. Mahershall, are we any closer to Blade finally becoming a reality? Drum roll please, Brian from the man himself. Okay, let's hear this is Maharshall Ali. Now bear in mind a year ago at the Jurassic World premiere he was asked. He says, I'm waiting for the call. Yeah, that was a year ago. As of now, he says, not with me?
Speaker 3: WHOA, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The best way I can answer this question is when I look at what is for me, is it was either this or that. And I'll take this no offense to them. I've been doing this professionally for pushing thirty years now, and one thing I've learned is that what is for you is for you, and what is not is not. For whatever reason, that project is not for me. If they wanted to do it, we would have done it. So I have to move on, and I have moved on. He then says, again, you had me under contract. They have billions of dollars. If they wanted to do the movie. We would have done the movie, so we're not doing the movie. When I look at this and Blade, I couldn't have done both. And the reason this even exists is because that project fell apart, and but Sam had the time, space, energy and focus to go and write this and then reapproach me elsewhere in the piece. I feel ready to move on from the Blade questions. Those questions are for them. They didn't want to do it, so they should answer that question.
Speaker 3: I freaking ouch, yeah, speak, I felt that Blade. Yeah, it sounds like something went south. I mean I wonder if if you think about it, Blade would have been an enormous production, and maybe they had him like on hold for a really long time, and I wonder if he missed out on things he would have liked to have done for this project that never went anywhere.
Speaker 2: I mean he trained for a year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so there's got to be some bitterness and maybe even he was like, look, I like this, this is what I signed on to do. Let's go. But it seems like with Marvel, and I don't want to just single out Marvel, but with these big franchise movies, these things are you know, constantly evolving even while they're filming, and maybe whatever he signed on to do, the version he signed on to play was shifting and they couldn't agree and it just never got off the ground. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, that irks me.
Speaker 3: I mean, a total lost opportunity, definitely.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean he is such a good actor, Like just the just sort of imagining what he would do in that role had me very excited.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and I again, I think I don't know what Marvel, what the calculus was about, Like, oh, we don't want to just put him in a trench coat and I kill vampires. It's like, well that is the assignment. You know, that's written on the business card. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's the thing, right, It's the the handcuffs. In a way with with having this universe where it's like, Okay, well it'd be cool just to make a Blade movie, but we have to think about how this fits in with seven other things. Yeah, it's like must we always? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I also I feel like this would effectively render the character radioactive for anybody not who is not Marshall Ali, you know what I mean? Like like like obviously Wesley Snipes that was like a one off and dead one Wolvern, he's not coming back, but like who else is gonna you know, nobody else is gonna want to step in and do it right, because it'll be like disrespectful to.
Speaker 3: Him to some extent, at least for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. You know, you sort of got to let the let the fallout, Yeah, dissipate you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's interesting. It sounds like like a double date that seemingly went wrong, but the two other dates realized that there was some chemistry and they went off and did their own thing. Like I mean, good for them, Good for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that this one, this one sounds really interesting. So I am looking forward to seeing that. What is it?
Speaker 3: I mean, what's it about.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a cultural story, but it's it has elements of a thriller drama. It's he plays like a hit man.
Speaker 3: Basically, this is a devoutly religious hit man. When his wife dies, he must protect his children on a frantic journey across Houston.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Interesting so, but but like when you when you watch the trailer, it doesn't seem like an indie picture. It seems like an action picture m hm. But you know, with a little more depth to it.
Speaker 3: You wonder if maybe they brought over some ideas that they had, uh, you know, from Blake.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't doubt it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know that.
Speaker 2: Elsewhere in the interview he talks about Basamtarik. He talks about how when he started writing the script, he didn't have a character name, so he just wrote Marshela like it was written with him in mind. You know. That's great, all right, and and and at least for him when it comes to these franchise things, he's he's he's part of the new Jurassic Crew.
Speaker 3: That's true. That's true. That'll pay the bills.
Speaker 2: That'll exactly. Yeah, Marvel's loss. Yeah, definitely, yeah. I mean, Fike he did to his credit, he said, I feel like a failure for for the way that all went down. But I'm more just like, how does something like that go down? Like how do you how do you not feel a responsibility to right because because he came to the Marshall Ali came to them and he's like, I want to play Blade and they're like, oh man, great, yeah, you know, how do you how do you disrespect somebody's time like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, now I'm looking forward to MCU The Reign of Marvel Studios Volume two, Volume two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cause that the first one. What does it go up to?
Speaker 3: I don't recall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does it stop at endgame?
Speaker 3: It came out in twenty twenty three, so it must have covered something that would make sense and maybe like yeah, point to where they were heading. But right, yeah, it was a good book.
Speaker 2: It was a good book anyway. Hey, you think we're done talking Marvel, No way, man, No got We got lots to marvel at, including the big new MCU release in theaters right now. Why don't we talk about it on the other side of this? And now we're pleased to bring our feature of presentation and we are back. And you know who else is back? Brian?
Speaker 3: Who's Thatsachi?
Speaker 2: Why it's Tom Holland as Spider Man. Yay. And not only are you saying yea, but audiences across the globear because it has already made seventy two million dollars just since yesterday.
Speaker 3: And that's would that be called previews because opening day is Friday. That that was Thursday alone. It made seventy two million.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I do feel like we need to put a little asterisk here, like not in any way saying it's not an impressive opening, and it puts to the lie all this stuff about superhero fatigue, and in fact, what it says is if you know, people will show up for the things they want to see. But showings started yesterday at noon, and there were paid screenings Wednesday night, So I think it's some at some point. No, No, that's not where I was going. I think that's exceptionally impressive. Well, all of that, notwithstanding when you're starting at noon, that's an additional day. That's not previews. Fair fair, right, that you just have to say starting Thursday.
Speaker 3: Sure, but you put them there, and people showed up and people will continue to show up over the weekend. The demand was there.
Speaker 2: The demand, no doubt. So yeah, I got to the theater yesterday at noon. I had already watched it. I watched the press screening, but my kids wanted to see it, and the entire parking lot was full. Yeah at noon on a Thursday. Yeah, yeah, right, So between Odyssey and Spider Man, Tom Hollands Anddiya and John Burnhall are having a pretty good July.
Speaker 3: I thought about that during the movie. I was like, wait a minute, like, not just Holland and Zinndia, but Burnhal and.
Speaker 2: Menilaeis. But yeah, so clearly, you know, if if, if you if, whether it's your your obsession or your odyssey, it's not about budget. It's about audience interest, right. I mean, that's really what it comes down to, you know. I think I think this summer movie season has been fascinating in that way because we just see we just see the spectrum. Uh but I've seen Spider Man Brand New day twice, I should say, so I'm one up on you.
Speaker 3: And I'll be seeing it again tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is one of those. I mean, I know you pretty well and so I didn't feel bad texting you of being like come on, come on. You know they they took their time with this one, right They They waited all almost Toy Story years, and.
Speaker 3: I would say the weight was worth it one hundred percent. You know, I'm realizing I do something now during movies that I did not know I did when we saw Toy Story five together. Apparently I go oh a lot. Sean after the movie was like, yeah, I heard you a couple of times be like, oh, and I never thought about it, And during this movie multiple times they went oh. And honestly, that's one of the biggest compliments I can give this movie. This movie had my heart, Like I really really cared about what was going on in here. I cared about the characters, all the emotional moments, the character moments, like when I talk about this movie, when I'm going to recommend this movie to everybody, how's the action, Oh, it's great, it's great, But dude, the characters And I mean, how often do you say that about a superhero movie? Like these characters have been well established over their series so far, and in this one they get even more, they get even more out of them, and it's so resonant and it made me feel so much And I walked out with like misty eyes. I wiped a tear away at the end of the movie. I mean that what a success. And so and I had heard stories about Tom Holland on set being like, this isn't there yet, we can do better, And now he's in a position where he can do that on a big budget movie like this, and I would say whatever, they stopped what they were doing and rethought and made even stronger.
Speaker 2: Whatever that was. It worked, Yeah, yeah my thought first. And when it ended, I'm like, Marvel and Sony need to pay Tom Holland whatever he asks for to keep him in the family. Oh yeah, as long as he wants to be.
Speaker 3: And I was also getting upset with all the people who are criticizing him recently this month. I was like, are you kidding me? Yeah, what's up with that? I don't know. He's so good in this.
Speaker 2: He's he's fantastic in this. I actually, I would say, by and large, I have at least liked every Spider Man movie. Yeah, I think probably Spider Man three is the weakest.
Speaker 4: Oh, you're talking the holes out of all of them, like all of I I for the most part, I like watching Spider Man Spider Man, right, But you know what's funny, Actually, only on a tangent, I was thinking.
Speaker 2: I found myself this week randomly thinking a lot about the sequence in Spider Man three when the Sandman forms. Okay, you're talking about the first time.
Speaker 3: Like when he's being he constructed in that.
Speaker 2: He has been deconstructed, and we cut we start in close on just like little they look like boulders, okay, and then we pull out and we see that they're grains of sand, and it's like a four minute no dialogue sequence of the Sandman forming.
Speaker 3: Okay, I vaguely remember this.
Speaker 2: I I was just thinking about that, and then I popped it on and I'm like, this is one of the most beautiful sequences I've ever seen in any superhero movie, and it's in this movie that's not very good, right, And so my only thought is, like, even even a quote unquote bad movie like Spider Man three, still offers something I would say a value, which is you can just watch that thing and find yourself getting emotional watching it, you know. So I think by and large there's like a baseline, right, But but the the top tier Spider Man movies are really top tier. So for me personally, I go Spider Man two, I go Spider Man No Way Home, and I go a spider Man brand New Day.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I think for me, and especially the Tom Holland ones, I've liked them all, I think I think this one really levels up in a lot of key ways, you know. I think part of it is just Tom Holland being more familiar in the role. Now he's very established. He's also grown, right, he's an adult, and I think for me, an adult spider Man is kind of I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, you know, I saw this Vulture article where it was saying that Spider Man won't let Tom Holland grow up or something, which I think it's more about Tom Holland, like why is he always having to play these boys? And I'm like, go leave Spider Man out of this, Like he was just recently a high schooler. Now he is like a young man out on his own. He happens to have a youthful face. I appreciate that the movie is having him grow up. He's a young twenty he's a twenty something now, and I do think that is part of this story. So I think it's there.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely there. And I think that they finally kind of found the right, like the right way of having Spidey exist in the Marvel universe without having that overwhelmed the story because I really like how and we'll talk about it more in spoilers, I presume, but like, you know, the way they incorporate Marvel characters in ways that feel substantial, right, but never it doesn't become just like the Spidy Team up show.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know, yeah, I well, just because you brought that up. I think. If there's one thing that was a thought in my mind is that, you know, this is just a symptom of being a superhero movie in twenty twenty six, Like you do have to connect to all these other stories in some sort of way.
Speaker 2: That's a good point, and.
Speaker 3: Occasionally I found myself thinking, like, ah, this feels like a little bit of a detour. I would have loved this to be just like a compact Spider Man in his neighborhood story. Yeah, it crossed my mind. However, again, this is twenty twenty six. That's just the way it is. And I think this movie did a really good job of incorporating the characters that he goes and visits from other films, because they felt incorporated into this film. It didn't feel right. It didn't feel like he left his movie to go see this person or that person. He still behaved like himself, They still behave like themselves. They offered useful information, So it was sort of like the best version of that.
Speaker 2: If you've got to know, I think, yeah, the way you're putting it is like to me, it's like, I think this is something we talked about, right, Like in the first ant Man there's the scene where he meets the falcon and that feels kind of wedged in, right, yes, yes, and I don't I never got that sense with this, right yeah. So you know, and again we'll save some of this for spoilers, but you know, by and large, it to me it felt like texture. Mm hm. The other thing I wanted to say is destined Daniel Kret, who directed this, I mean, he really brought something unique to the action sequences. I thought there's just something about the way New York looks in this movie that it just felt very grounded, even though a lot of it was shot overseas and stuff and it's all digital whatnot, but it's still felt more grounded then we've come to expect from Marvel lately.
Speaker 3: I agree. I agree, yeah, less like City Capital c Like it did feel like like, yeah, it's funny. I actually don't even know what was New York and what wasn't. I mean sometimes actually there's a couple of shots where you felt like a backlad or whatever. But like, right, even when it ended the credits, it shows just these random shots of New York and just people existing in New York, and it made me miss New York. So yeah, they really did a good job of making that feel like a real, a real sense of place.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Okay, So what's our non spoiler? I think I think people know it's the thumbs up.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, there's just everything's a spoiler in this movie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm like, I don't want to say anything, you know.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I'll just say, well, I just want to add to what you said about the action. Yeah, I really enjoyed the way the action was handled. It has a different look, I think than his original trilogy. It's a more saturated sort of look, which I thought was kind of interesting and also a little more stylized. Yeah, which is funny because sometimes I weirdly subconsciously reject that I like the things that feel slightly more. I like fanciful things in a grounded setting. But there are moments where the movie does kind of do that ramped down thing to show a fantastical pose of him in the air doing something amazing. I really liked it. I thought it fit. Yeah, he just struck a balance of like you said, I mean we're saying two different things in a weird way. Like it felt grounded and it did have some fun, fanciful moments, and somehow they all meshed together in a way that just felt just right for Spider Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also one more thing I'll say is, as I was watching, you get a lot of POV stuff of him swinging through the air.
Speaker 2: I love that stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it reminded me of the video game.
Speaker 2: I was thinking that exact thing. I was like, Oh, I'm sure that was the thought behind it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I loved it because I really love that game. It's a really fun game. But there's something so satisfying and soothing and pleasurable about getting to swing through New York in that game. I just loved doing it, and I felt like it.
Speaker 2: As soothing as Powerwashing the video.
Speaker 3: So I haven't gotten it yet, so I don't know, but I probably will. We had a lot of people right in by the way about I had a lot of people reach out and tell me about that game, that they have it and that they like it so but but I did.
Speaker 2: He also liked the people reached out there, like there is nothing soothing about actually powerwashing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yes, yes, But but I did hear Tom Holland and maybe someone else say, I don't remember who, but that they did take direct inspiration from the video game. And I love that. I love why not? These are all things in the family that everybody loves, so why not have them all work, you know, in collaboration with one another. So I thought that was all really well executed.
Speaker 2: Just to pick up on that last point you were making, I think I think that's what's really important to recognize is that at this point, Spider Man has existed for you know, more than sixty years, right, Spider Man is many things to many different people, and so that's really that's that is obviously a challenge because it's like who are you trying to please? It's such a wide casting, a wide net, and I think that the filmmakers are clearly conscious of how how people cherish this character, right, But I also like that they have they've really navigated all of that, all of the potential potholes in trying to trying to please so many different audiences by saying, no, this is our version, and we're gonna, we're gonna, we're gonna drill down on what makes this version effective, you know, and I think that when it comes to both No Way Home and this one, what it comes down to is there our driving emotional interest. I think we care you know, the action sequence, all of that has to be well stage and everything, but we care about about Peter Parker's inner life and sort of the the both joy and sadness that have to coexist when one is Spider Man. Right, that's a trick, you.
Speaker 3: Know, absolutely, And I mean it was amazing to me. I mentioned this earlier, but Thursday, the day before it officially opens, every screening was almost sold out. It was really difficult for me to get a ticket. And when I was there, the place was packed, and I mean it was just, you know, you talk about four quadrants, just literally young old men, women, and so many people wearing Spider Man shirts and merch and so many like every third person had like one of those popcorn buckets or cups or something like that. Like there's just people really connect with this character. Yeah, and a movie can still drop the ball with that character, but it just goes to show how well they've done that. Here we are with the fourth iteration with this guy, and everybody's showing up at twelve noon on a Thursday wearing their Spider Man shirts packing out theaters. You know, obviously they've they've hit something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, perfectly, that's amazing, right, you know. All right, so big thumbs up from both of us for Spider Man Brand New Day. Do we want to get into spoilers.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Spoiler so right up top. This is something I noticed on my second viewing is that the Marvel Studios logo itself becomes part of the storytelling MM which I don't know if you caught.
Speaker 3: This, yes, I did, well, thanks to you.
Speaker 2: Actually yeah, and again I did not pick up on it the first time I saw it, but I went. You know, Normally, the way the Marvel Studios logo works is you see there's like script pages and then concept paintings, and then clips from the movies that are shown in the logo. And what what they do here is the script pages are actually from Spider Man No Way Home, as Spider Man is telling Doctor Strange to cast a spell that's gonna make everyone forget him. So those are the script pages, and then we see the clips from the previous films within the Marvel logo, and you see Peter with MJ and Net and he disappears from these clips.
Speaker 3: And oh, I don't even know if I clock that. I was just doing some of the script stuff and.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's literally you see like Peter, MJ, and Ned are walking together and then he just disappears.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I'll have to look for that Saturday.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, golf clapair.
Speaker 3: Oh that's amazing. Yeah, you know, yeah, I mean that ending No Way Home. I've seen that movie maybe two or three times, gets me every time. It is one of the saddest or bittersweet, I don't know what you'd call it, but wistful sort of endings.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It just makes me emotional every time someone having there's always that superhero you know, conundrum, right, like do I choose my life or do I choose my mission? Right? And that was just one of the most impactful versions of that I feel like I've ever seen. It just breaks my heart every time him having to see his friends and they don't know who he is, and he's going to have to continue he knows they're going to continue their lives without him and he's going to have to be alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because in the context of doctor Strange, just spell everyone's gonna forget and and MJ says to him, you come and you find me and you explain everything to me. And so that's what he's gonna do, that's his plan. And then you know, he finds them. She was she's working in a donut shop, and he's got it all figured out. And then he sees she's got like a bandage, I got like an injury on her head. And he's like, that happened because of me, right, And so even though he had promised himself and he promised her he was going to find her, he says, no, right, he's he he makes the sacrifice. Right, it's it's the uh you know, it's it's the dark night. It's all that you know. Uh, And and that that's I think that's the reason these stories resonate. So so this this movie, I think it had a challenge where like, how do you preserve the emotional authenticity of that ending while while moving the story forward? And and I man, I I, well, well we'll talk about the ending just a bit. But I really love how we navigated the journey, you know, from the end of the previous one to the end of this one, and in many I mentioned Spider Man too. It reminded me so much of Spider Man too, because I think that's the reason that movie always sticks out to me, because it really puts us in Peter's mindset of just just the isolation and loneliness that comes from doing what he does. I also think so I'm a big Punisher fan, okay, yeah, yeah, huge Punisher fan, and I've been a fan of him since i was a little kid. I've got I've got, you know, gosh, you know, fifteen volumes of Punishure comics bound on my shelf. So I've always loved John burnhal as Frank and my when I heard he was in this, and then you know, I saw him in the trailer. They have the opening scene and raised in the chase, I was like, Oh, that's like the extent of what he'll be in this movie.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: I was like, it'll just be a cute walk on, like, hey, you know this if you know, you know, wink wink, you know. So I was delighted that this is like almost like a two hander with Spider Man and the.
Speaker 3: Punisher, and they're such a fun pair.
Speaker 2: So they are great together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I have to imagine this sprang from the fact that Tom Holland and John Berthall are just like buds. H Yeah, and so once Tom Holland was in a place where he had a little bit of juice, He's like, I want my buddy in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd like to think that, you know, I think it's.
Speaker 2: If you notice they never call him the Punisher in this.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, just Frank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just Frank. And and they never mentioned like what he does, which is brutally murder criminals.
Speaker 3: I was actually thinking, because I know my parents are going to see this, that i'd have to explain him a little bit. I mean, they give you enough context clues about his life, you know, where we see the pictures of his family and stuff. But right I thought I might help him out a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm picturing because you know, just like a month or so ago, they dropped on Disney plus The Punisher one last kill, this marvel one shot that John Burenthal wrote, which is just I mean it's like the most violent thing you can imagine. I mean, they packed plenty of geysers of blood into like a forty five minute thing, you know. Yeah, so I'm just picturing the families that go to see brand new and then little juniors like, hey, there's a Punisher from the movie, and then after about fifteen minutes, I don't, I don't want, I don't, just rocking back and forth. There's so much blood. Yeah, I love the calculus of dropping that right right before this movie comes out. But I personally, you know, I I that's just like, you can't have R rated Punisher next to Spider Man. You gotta do PG thirteen Punisher. And that's fine. Now now we mentioned so I I I'm assuming you were talking about Bruce Banner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Lena, Uh yeah, Elena, Okay, yeah, I mean, but that's what I mean. Like, I do love Spider Man in the movies, the older movies that I was gonna say grew up, but I guess I was already grown up with.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, they're very much like personal stories and the people in his world and this kid and an extraordinary circumstance that you know, invades his world or whatever, or someone in his life turns into a villain and he has to grapple with that. And here he has these interesting different resources and it's like he's got to, you know, go visit this character from that movie. And I was like, I'll probably have to explain Eolna to my parents, you know, and oh.
Speaker 2: They haven't seen like Thunderbolts and stuff.
Speaker 3: Doubtful they went all the way through.
Speaker 2: They would like Thunderbolts.
Speaker 3: No, I think so they went all the way through endgame.
Speaker 2: And then they and then they noped out after that.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, this stuff didn't I don't know. Actually I'd be curious to ask get it.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I mean that's indicative of the broader problem Marvel has had, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well but but when when she showed up, there's a little part of me there's like, oh, all right, like we gotta go, we gotta go stop and visit this person, and then she's gonna have to explain her world a little bit and like a little drab for another movie.
Speaker 2: But I don't think they really did that, not not with Yolena.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, I thought actually it was pretty good. Well, and even with with Banner, I would say, because what he is experiencing and the conversation they have is relevant to this plot. I mean, Hulk getting involved in the action later to take her leave frankly, but I think as long as you're going to do that, and like I was saying, that's just something you have to do now, see.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I I definitely agree with part A of what you're saying because the conversation that that Peter has with Bruce, like that's obviously directly relevant to this. But even the second half it actually is is entirely applicable with this story, right, because remember the villain we'll talk about in a second is using the Scorpion to try to get in, right, they're trying to get into damage control. So initially it's let me crash this tank in here, Spider Man stops it. Okay, let me use scorpion. Spider Man stops it. Well, who won't Spider Man be able to stop?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That's true, right, that's true.
Speaker 2: That was the whole thing. Now, what's interesting is that they seed the future developments for the Hulk by virtue of his appearance here, because you know, initially it's it's it's banner in his Hulk form is being mind controlled. But then Savage Hulk re emerges and Savage Hulk has been kept pressed down for since you know whatever, since since endgame, and now he's not He's not stank Put anymore, right, right, So in other words, we've we've established a new status quo for Hulk that presumably is going to play out later. But that's not the important bit when it comes to this. There is a story reason why the Hulk gets involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And by the way, I mean that, I hopefully I was clear earlier, Like I do feel like for doing that and bringing all these other people in, I thought it was really well done. I mean they did feel well and going to the Yolena scene, I mean he needed this information. He goes to this bathhouse, which he calls her office. And what I liked about it was it wasn't just like, Okay, I need some information and then they have some sort of I thank god they didn't have a fight, you know, and then for four minutes and then and they're like, wait a minute, we're both good guys. Oh yeah, I got the information you need. That would have driven me nuts. Instead, he goes in. She acts like herself. He acts like himself in a funny way right where he gets into the hot tub or whatever, but he keeps the mask on in his boxer shorts, and everything, and I was like, yeah, this flows, this fits, you know. So I thought this was like a really you can imagine the clunkier, awkward version of shoving these people in. But I thought this movie for doing that, for including these extra people from other movies, I thought they made it feel pretty organic.
Speaker 2: I would agree with that. Yeah. Well, I mean we're in spoilers so we can talk about Jean Gray.
Speaker 3: Right yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so halfway through, so you know, I'm trying to figure out. I guess this is just a testament to me, like mostly staying off social media where I was I was like maybe like two minutes ahead of the movie where I was like, oh that's Gene Gray.
Speaker 3: Oh really, oh you yeah, I don't know how, but I've been hearing this for months.
Speaker 2: See this is weird because yeah, I leaned over to my son, I was like, I think it's Jeene. Great, and then you know, they show her name, and then afterwards I was like quite proud of myself for having figured out. And then it was like, so they what everybody has already known for several months. Well, god damn it.
Speaker 3: Well I'm still impressed. So so I have two thoughts.
Speaker 2: I'm like I'm kind of bummed that we don't get like a Spider Man villain in this. There's like no real villain really I get, other than well Trammel Tillman, I guess right, but there's like the only Spider Man villain we get in this is like the Scorpion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who seems to be under mind control.
Speaker 2: Yeah, having and and Michael Mando Scorpion is a great choice. I just I wanted to see more of him, to be honest.
Speaker 3: Oh so many, by the way, so many of my favorite TV stars, Michael Mando, Tamil Tillman, of course, Lisa colon Zias from The Bear. I love seeing her. She's like the his commissioner Gordon in a way.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was great anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that that character. By the way, So Jeane de Wolf is the you know, the Spidey's contact. So you know in the comic books in the eighties, there's a storyline called the death of Gene de Wolf.
Speaker 3: Oh no, and yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, and it's a great story, right, And I'm like, oh, man, I'll bet you that's what they're setting up, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Well they did a great job. I mean, she's not in it a ton necessarily, but it matters, it makes impact. Yes, and we got her kids. The whole thing about knowing her kids' names and the way that her kids light up that she's talking to Spider Man on the phone. It just it's Yeah, it really landed for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean as soon as I heard him say to Wolf, I was like, uh oh no, because I'm like, you don't put that character in there unless he planned to kill her off.
Speaker 3: The cast perfectly because I love her so much. She's one of my favorite characters.
Speaker 2: From the bat Sorry Inadverton. Maybe spoiler for the next Spider Man movie. Yeah, yeah, well let's talk about that. I mean the important stuff, all the super super business that we'll get back to that, but the important stuff is the character stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well real quick, you were I'm sorry. I feel like I derailed a little bit. You were talking about there not being a real main battie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So on the one end, you can say, well that sucks because it's like, oh, well, spider Man two, that's the Doc Hack one, and you know, Spider Man three, that's the Sandman whatever. This is the Jean Gray one question mark. You know, uh. But I feel having seen it twice, I feel like that's almost a wrong approach, right, because it's like the you know, Spider Man's enemy is himself to some extent in this Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, it's a great story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think I think they found a way to connect all of the let me put it this away. You know, this is something Sam Raimi talked about all the time with his Spider Man movies. You would always say, what does the villain tell us about Peter Parker?
Speaker 3: Hmmm?
Speaker 2: And he would approach it that way and and in other words, you approach it inside out. What what what's our character's journey and who are the characters? Were gonna facilitate that. I think they approached this the same way. And so as far as Gene Gray being in it, you can point to it and be like, oh, x men, you know East Eggs and this and that, and I don't think that's invalid. But I think her role in this story was specifically applicable and important to Peter totally, and that's why I had no problem with it.
Speaker 3: And for me, I don't need to oversimplify it. But it reminded me of Thunderbolts. A little bit where basically everything was solved with a hug, and I was like, I love it. That means more to me, that moves me, leaves more of an impact on me than any fight sequence. I mean, you want the action, you want the spectacle, and we do get it. But the way that things are resolved and figured out and come to a conclusion, I just found so much more powerful the way that they were in this where it was like, we need to understand one another. And I was so moved by that. Her moment with Aunt May Oh.
Speaker 2: That was so great, so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I you know, having you know, we just watched Homecoming recently, and going from that to this, you really see the progression of Peter's relationship with MJ. Right, because I mean she she exists on the fringes of that film, really yeah, And and yet by the time we're here, we're so invested in their relationship. I mean, one of my favorite parts of the movie is where we think that Peter's gotten through to MJ. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, my heart broke. I know, I mean my heart literally went from soaring yep, and I couldn't believe how much I was feeling them, and then when that turn I didn't see it coming. And then when she turned, my heart broke where she's like touch her Peter, Yes, oh so good.
Speaker 2: But what I love is Tom Holland. I mean you just see you see the kind of he goes through that whole gamut of emotions and he's just like, you're a monster, right, like to do something so cruel to him?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: You know, probably one of my favorite moments in the in the movie.
Speaker 3: That Yeah, and I thought they did a really nice the way that they handled MJ. Like, of course, we just want to see them connect again, but they you know this, how could she possibly right, you know, do that, Like she has no idea who this person is. And so I thought the way that they showed her journey, you know, like I don't know you. I'm sorry, but I don't know you. But then when he comes over to her and Ned's apartment, yep, and like there's just some sense where it's like, yeah, we do connect, there's something here. And when she oh my gosh, when she's drawing, okay, wait, wait, when they're when they're when he and Ned are playing with the legos, that was one of the moments where I went, oh, yeah, yeah, like that, just especially maybe having revisited the earlier one because that was the way they bonded in the first movie. Ye, so Ned has this some sort of connection he's feeling with Spider Man, and then Spider Man in his costume getting to build legos again with his best friend and they.
Speaker 2: Start quoting Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 3: Oh it was so adorable. And then MJ is drawing them, but she draws Peter without the mask on, right.
Speaker 2: Well, that's so that's the beauty of it, right because because she's like, I don't know you, Like, yes, maybe you're nice or whatever, but I just I don't love you. I don't you know. And so in by virtue of seeing him just just being with his buddy, she realizes who he is because this is who he is, unguarded. You know. Ah, what great, great moment. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just thought, yeah, that that progression over the film, they're getting reacquainted, I thought was handled really well.
Speaker 2: But what I love also is that the the the emotional hinge turns out not to be you know, rekindling his relationship with MJ. It's MJ being like, tell Ned, you should tell him? Yeah, And so to me, the fact that it ends with I'm Peter and then they just do that magic handshake, which is like you think, oh that you know remember earlier, Oh we kiss and then oh you know like sleeping beauty and and and Gene is like how like MJ would hate that?
Speaker 3: Right, yeah right, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Ever, it wasn't the magic kiss. It was the magic can't shake.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Literally at the end they do the thing and and Ned is like Peter and I'm like credit credit, yes, yeah, just stop stop right there. Yep.
Speaker 3: You know sometimes I actually visualize the script page when I'm watching a film and and that it doesn't take me out, it makes me love it more.
Speaker 2: And I did.
Speaker 3: I in that moment, I pictured like Ned Peter exclamation point and then like cut to black, and I was like, oh, like if I had the script in my hand and read that, I'd throw it down and go wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah that that that I we really earned that ending. The other thing, actually, the speaking of endings, the whole the whole bit with with the hospital. Yes, first of all, the punisher, like just all of that everything where the fact that the punisher brought him to the hospital he's waiting for him.
Speaker 3: He cries, yes, yes, well, and seeing him carry you know, Peter's limp body, that's that's really emotional. And then yes, seeing him cry in there, and then you know, now he's just a boy. It's sort of like in is that Spider Man two where he's got the mask off in the subway and everyone's like, he's just a boy, and so Frank is like, huh, like you're you're kind of what I pictured.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're good kid.
Speaker 3: You're just a good kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But the the you know, the whole the whole fake out that that Frank does or he puts on Spider Man's pretty funny.
Speaker 3: I got a plan for that.
Speaker 2: That was his plan.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious.
Speaker 2: But when Peter goes outside and he's within the crowd of all these people who love him, what a great cathartic moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that little boy does a little flip.
Speaker 2: That's great, you know, and literally he's just looking at all these people cheering for Spider Man and it's you know, it's not one of these things where where it's like going to his head or something. It's just like all of every all of the sacrifice that he had, you know, made for the last several years. It was worth it because people valued him, you know, right, yeah, man.
Speaker 3: It's good, good stuff, good stuff. I mean, that's just it. I was texting with a friend as I was walking out of the movie. Turns out her good friend is uh Creton's sister get out of me. So I was like, we'll be damned. I don't know if you talk to him, but please shake his hand. But yeah, it just this is what is possible. I think this is sometimes when I do watch these movies and I get a little hard on them. I get frustrated when they're just they're just fine. It's like, yeah, but it could be this. You know, you could make me walk out misty eyed, you know, with a skipping you know, a little pep in my step, just because you just put me on this ride and made me care and feel giddy and the world feels a little more exciting afterwards. Like that's that's what this movie does. And I, I don't know, it's great.
Speaker 2: I think that this this proves a couple of things, right. I Mean, the movie itself turned out very well, and that's always an achievement, but the fact that that people have turned up right away and I have a feeling word of mouth is gonna be very good on this. It shows like you've got a you know, a bit a unicorn of a franchise these days, where where Spider Man movies tend to do well. And because of that, I hope they learned the right lesson, which is go deeper, not bigger.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Because that's what people will respond to one. You know, I have a feeling they won't take that lesson if Sony they've crapped out twice already, you know with Spider Man franchises, by keeping on trying to go bigger. Yeah, but I'm hoping that that by virtue of Tom Holland having a like a creative role in these films now that and he seems to view it as something of responsibility. I hope, I hope they learn the right stuff from this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And I do want to say, I mean, that is the thing when I walk out of this, the thing I'm really thinking about remembering and talking about is the characters, the emotions though whatever exactly. But I do want to say I thought the action was great. I brought this up during the Homecoming commentary, but I just it never ceases to amaze me, all the creative ways they find to have, you know, Spider Man use his webs and trap people, and like, Okay, he's gonna be halfway upside down over here, and then pull this thing over there, and then this thing's gonna come around and trap this guy against the wall. Like it's so inventive and fun and delightful to watch. And in the trailers. Actually, I love the ground, ground levelness of the previous films right for the most part. And so when I saw this trailer and I saw the hand, I was a little like, uh, okay, wait, so there's gonna be like Ninja's now and is this going to feel a little removed from what I love, you know, the ground levelness of Spider Man from the previous films. But I didn't feel that at all. I thought it all fit nicely into the feeling of this universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I should say, by the way, regarding the hand. Fun fact, I'm sure you already know this. They served as the inspiration for Ninja Turtles and the Foot, Yes, yeah, which I love all the the you know, I didn't know this until later that, like the when they created Ninja Turtles, the ooze that that that mutated the Turtles was supposed to be the same ooze that blinded Daredevil.
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like all these weird connections, and and of course, uh Stick who trained Daredevil, he becomes Splinter and the Turtle.
Speaker 3: Which is funny because that's one of those things where these two you know, creators Eastman and Laird, they're just trying to make each other laugh. I know, like, would it be funny like Stick becomes Splinter, But they had no idea that it was going to become, you know, this thing that lasts for decades after.
Speaker 2: They were their own version of Curry Barker and Cooper Tomlinson. Yeah, yeah, basically. But with with this film, I we kind of talked past Sadie Sink Yes, who again, who apparently everybody knew was playing TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would think if you go in knowing it's Jean Gray, I would be kind of a bummer, Like I can see why Marvel was trying to keep it a secret.
Speaker 3: Mm hm.
Speaker 2: Apparently they failed.
Speaker 3: Well, but sure they're good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean again, it became a whole thing about who said he sync playing? And there was she she did a video like a promo video about trying to keep her character secret.
Speaker 3: Oh that's funny.
Speaker 2: But watching this movie, I'm like, well, I love how Stranger Things was like a five season audition to be part of the X Men, right, yeah, right, No, But she's really good in this That's all I wanted to say.
Speaker 3: I thought so too. She is able to convey both like a you know, a power, a toughness, but also you know, she looked very young and like a vulnerability and a sadness.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I thought the stuff between her and her sister was really sweet and tragic. V Max. That was a great reveal, very clever, and and I thought it was very effective and creepy in the best way. The way that you know, she was able to hop from person into person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the way they staged that was fantastic.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, that's a lot of actors that you are depending on to sell this thing. You know, as.
Speaker 2: The camera is sort of scanning through the crowd, so like there's like all these logistics involved, right, because the camera is following you know, quote unquote gene as she is moving through these people, and you know, I'm like, man, I'm imagining how many takes it took to get it exactly right, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Oh, totally that. And I also thought, you know a lot of times in movies you'll see like a background person, like a waiter or something, and someone will say to them like, oh, can I have the soup of the day, And instead of being sure, I'll be right back, they just go mm hmm with their mouth close awkwardly because the movie doesn't want to pay them to speak.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes that'll stand out if you look for it. But in this one, a lot of random people speak. You know, it's Jeene speaking through them. So I thought like, oh, that's a lot of actors that they had to not only pay but also find people who could act well.
Speaker 2: A lot of people earning their SAG cards on this movie. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, selling the whole being possessed thing like it was effective and cool and fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The bit where we go from Peter's apartment to like the helicopter, Yes, that whole sequence was very well done. Again, just going hopping from one person to the next.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And the wedding, I thought that at first I felt bad for that couple that he destroyed their wedding cake, but then she possesses the bride and seeing her get all creepy as like, oh that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, never mind, you deserve to have your wedding destroyed after that. Yeah, I mean this is our third go round with Jean Gray. Yeah and right. So it's kind of like, are there new angles to this character? I don't know, but I at least I think Sadie sinc is a talented enough actor that I'm excited to see where she presumable. At the end of the movie, she's heading upstate to Westchester and you know, at a certain mansion. Yep, I guess we'll find out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I did love all that stuff at the end. I mean, she's got Tillman's character, you know, shards of glass pointed at him, ready to kill him, and you know, all all angry about her sister. And then she goes finally into Peter's mind and get that surreal moment, you know, or she takes Peter's place listening to Aunt May. Oh, it's just beautiful. That's an ending you're gonna remember more than New York City being turned upside down.
Speaker 2: See. The only thing that would have made that scene better is if in the memory Aunt May is like, Peter, I would love you no matter who you are, whether you're whether you're this handsome young man in front of me, or whether you were a redheaded girl with mental issues. You are special no matter who you are.
Speaker 3: And Peter was like, you know, I didn't understand what she was saying at the time, but it turns out, thank god, she did say that. It's like mill Gibson's wife in Signs, where she's saying all the random stuff ends up saving people from an alien invasion. Swing away, Peter, that's what it should have been, the last line of her speech. That'll come in handy two movies from now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good stuff, good stuff, and I can't wait to watch it again. So did you stay all the way through to the post credit? I did? Yes, my whole theater did. Oh okay, even when there wasn't something in the middle, my theater was like, nope, we're staying and stay to the end.
Speaker 2: It become even more determined to stay because now you're like, a, yeah, well, there's definitely gonna be something at the end.
Speaker 3: Definitely, and you you let me know that it wasn't crucial necessarily. Yeah, So what would you say about it? I mean it's I mean, it's clearly setting up presumably Secret Wars of Intersecret Wars. So my interpretation is that, well, I guess this is potential spoilers for Doomsday, and only because of the comic book.
Speaker 2: So I can't say what's gonna happen in the movie. But do you want to hear my thought?
Speaker 3: I do, so, I mean I was gonna say, this is the thing where I can't wait to sit down while you pull up a stool and explain some comic lore to me. So just but yeah, fair warning. If people aren't interested, to skip ahead a little bit.
Speaker 2: In So, there's two Secret Wars storylines. There was one in nineteen eighty four, and then there was another one in twenty fifteen, I think. So the films that are coming up are based on the twenty fifteen version. And basically, the very very very short version is that Doctor Doom instigates a multiverse what do they call it? When they all converge with each other, there's a term incursion, okay, okay, And basically the multiverse ends up getting destroyed, and Doctor Doom pulls together pieces from the multiverse into one planet called Latviianka or battle World and he rules over battle World for eight years. In this is in the comic So what we see and then on the other side of that storyline we have the multiverse is reformed, and so essentially you have a soft reset of Marvel where certain things are changed and certain things are not changed and you're able to continue on. So that's what I suspect is going to happen on the other side of Secret Wars.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that tracker showing Spider Man in space would be on that planet, that's my guess, okay.
Speaker 2: Right, So in the comic books, right, that was how they ended up putting Miles Morales on the main Marvel Earth, because initially he was in a different universe, okay, after Secret Wars. It was it was just it allowed them to kind of tweak a few things without just starting over from scratch, Okay. And so when we look at like, oh, how is Ta'chala Junior a grown up? Well, I think you know, well, in the comic books, doctor Doom rules Latvian for eight years, so that would that would allow for that, right, got it?
Speaker 3: Got it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's what they're going to do, but certainly when we see the little Spider Tracker go from Queen's to somewhere in deep space. That to me, yeah, okay, so that means that Spider Man is going to be in Secret Wars for sure. You know.
Speaker 3: It's funny. See this doesn't ruin it for me. This makes me more excited. Like I just wasn't seeing what I needed to see to feel excited from the trailer. But this stuff, I'm like, well I got to see that. Yeah, And I understand them not wanting to. They know you're going to show up, so they don't want to give anything away. But that's the stuff that makes me like, well, I want to see how that plays out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I'm curious, Like I feel certain he's in Secret Wars. I don't know if he's going to be in Doomsday though that I'm curious about that. Yeah. But yeah, so there we go, Spider Man, Brand New Day, very very good. So the previous three films they are called the Home Trilogy. Okay, so I'm kind of like, is this are we starting a new trilogy? And is it?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it the Day Trilogy? So like the next one is same old Day, you know, the third one is I don't know Independence day day, oh day, Oh there you go, right? Or is it the brand new trilogy? So the next one is Spider Man brand new bag right right right, right, right right, and then I don't know, brand new something. You know, there's options either way. I hope Destin Daniel Krettin stays in the mix, and of course I hope Tom Holland is not going anywhere. Tom Holland has said that his goal is to before he leaves, to bring Miles Morales into the MCU.
Speaker 3: Which I know will be great. But I also don't want to see Holland leave too early.
Speaker 2: That's the thing, right because like Holland, what is he thirty? I think he just turned thirty? Yeah, so is he gonna want to play this character till he's forty? Probably not right, So you figure, let's say he's got about about five six years left.
Speaker 3: Well, and I hope they do it. And you wonder if then, you know, fifteen years from now or whatever, if he comes back as older, grizzled mentor Spider Man. Yeah, I wonder if that's on the Marvel's roadmap to twenty forty two.
Speaker 2: That's that's a tough one, right, because I think that Spider Man, Peter Parker, you can't retire the character. So if Tom Holland moves on, you gotta recast, right, Like.
Speaker 3: That's the tricky thing when you have this unending timeline. Yeah, it's been coin since two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Eight, man, crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One thing I will say also, I went yesterday with with my with my second one. He's going to be eighteen in a few months. And my daughter, she's nine, and she's been waiting all week to see She's like, Thursday, We're going to see Spider Man, right, yeah, And I was like, man, you know, she was born almost ten years after the MCU started. Wow, And she's just as invested as you know what I mean. So it's like all of this stuff about MCU fatigue and stuff, I believe it is real. Yeah, But I also believe that the emotional connection people have to these stories cannot be undervalued.
Speaker 3: Oh totally. I think the juice in their best films, you know, still works.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And as we're getting set up for Doomsday in a few months, I mean I'm certainly now like, okay, I want to do a rewatch of like all the all the post endgame stuff. Many of which I haven't seen at all since they first came on, right, So I'm actually curious if all how that'll you know, change change my viewing of them or not. I don't know anyway, that's me any last thoughts from you?
Speaker 3: No, just man, it's fun seeing how beloved Spider Man is. Like I was saying, I mean, everybody there was so excited wearing Spider Man shirts and everything, and it's amazing that they continue to handle him so well. You know, another great movie. So yeah, makes me happy.
Speaker 2: I agree. Let us know your thoughts on Spider Man Brand New Day and and your thoughts on our thoughts. You can email us at Moviefilm podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Film Podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts, leave a review, leave a star rating. Every little bit helps, And if you're listening to the show on YouTube, please hit like, hit subscribe and leave a comment there because we do read those on the show as well. Hey, we also have a pittrey on page.
Speaker 3: Ran Yes, if you head over to Patreon dot com slash Moviefilm Podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month. You'll find every commentary we've ever done, every episode moving forward, absolutely ad free. We also have bonus conversations which we referenced I think a couple times during this episode, where we talk about trailers and movie news and all sorts of things that don't fit into the already stuffed episodes we're doing right now. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show, no ads or interruptions randomly butting into the conversation. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in aable please head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and subscribe. We'd be very grateful.
Speaker 2: There we go, and if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zachi's Corner. That's the Akis Cornery. You can also read my reviews at the San Francisco Chronicle and also at the Wrap What About You Ryan.
Speaker 3: You can find episodes I've written of puppy dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming on Disney Plus and with that on.
Speaker 2: Behalf of my partner Brian Hall. My name is Zachie a Son. This has been Movie Film three forty eight. We'll catch next time. Thanks everybody, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Friends the movie podcast podcast.
Speaker 2: Show jacky Rye.
Speaker 3: They're talking about the mos