Speaker 1: What did you you know? Like, obviously we just heard that lovely bit of celebrity gossip. Does it surprise you at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It's weird hearing.
Speaker 1: Which which one the younger one or the older one?
Speaker 2: Uh? Which one the older one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I've heard this around the younger one that that doesn't surprise me. He seems like an like that guy is always just screaming and stuff like that. I can see how he's a weird Anyway, talking of weirdos, why don't we do what are you talking about? Willis podcast? Okay, so today was it everything you imagined? Playing and winning at the French Open? Is it cool there? What's the coolest thing? And half the stadiums are empty? Actually I want to talk to you about that sinner out of the French and it's blown the drawer wide open, although maybe not because of sparev Serena coming back. And of course today we do class ourselves as amateur scientists and we are going to stress test custard. All right, So we know that custard is very much the greatest liquid on earth, and today we are stress testing it. Marcus Willis atp. Sixty seven, How are you, sir.
Speaker 2: Sixty seven in the live Dave might be sixty eight. Yeah, I like to think let's go sixty seven six.
Speaker 1: I just like the six to seventh thing. You know, you know how youthful I am. I'm very much down with youth culture. So that whole six seventh thing. I like that you are now six seven?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am him? Do you?
Speaker 1: I mean I know that there's a there's a whole bigger thing here. Like imagine if five years ago I'd said we're going to be podcasting just after you played the French Open, you'll be sixty seven in the ATP.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't have believed it. You take that when you're five years ago, I wasn't playing tennis.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what were you doing five years ago June twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Wasn't it? Yeah? Coaching?
Speaker 1: Yeah, coaching, Yeah, I didn't do much lockdown.
Speaker 2: Probably drinking, eating, Yeah, those three things really yeah, no particular all a life. Well yeah, what.
Speaker 1: In your who were you coaching at the time? Like, are you coaching players who are now on the tour? Are you literally coaching club tennis?
Speaker 3: Combination of club players and you know, hitting with you know, better players, But nothing concrete, I'd say at that point, so I was doing bits and bobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the bits are always enjoyable, the bob's less.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 1: What about if someone had said to you, do you know in five years in June twenty twenty six, you'll be atp sixty seven in the live.
Speaker 3: I probably you've would have believed it more than there with the French before I started playing again, and then looking at the points and what it takes to get there, because when you're not in it and you don't know, and you go our top hundred doubles, yeah that's achievable or sixty seven or but the gap between one hundred and eighty is massive, and the gap between eighty and where I'm at now is massive. So you're saying it were you're coaching and looking around, and you know players used to play with being there going yeah, yeah, that could happen. But you know you say that to me when I'm playing my first futures. No, I wouldn't have wouldn't have made sense, to be honest.
Speaker 1: If I'd said to you, if we could get a time machine, I'll go back there, and I said, do you know in five years time a mate of a mate is going to give you an opportunity and you're being a state agent. Or five years time you're going to be off the back of playing in the third round of the French Open, having played all four Grand Slams and one matches at all of them, would you have said, yeah, I can see myself and a a state agent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I was looking at normal jobs as well, so yeah, I would have probably believed.
Speaker 2: The stage and thing more. Yeah, you know, because there was no way back to play.
Speaker 1: Really, you don't take time to step back and think about stuff like this. Do you know I feel it's me that's that's going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy, Yeah, mega, isn't it? Yeah that's cool.
Speaker 1: So look, you you have just you're back from Paris from Roland Garross. Was it everything you'd imagined playing, completing your Grand Slam set? But playing at the French.
Speaker 2: What's it? Everything? I message? I didn't really have time to imagine it. You know.
Speaker 3: I knew the facilities because I went there last year to sign in as an alternate for a day. Obviously we didn't get in, but so I knew what was around.
Speaker 2: I didn't really didn't really imagine it. One way or another. It was you.
Speaker 3: Have to react so much to what day you're playing, which court you're playing, who you're playing. It was so kind of quick that you're always doing to me. But it was amazing bloody hot for you that.
Speaker 1: M It's been a bit of a taiale of two weathers, isn't it, Because over there now it's actually becoming overcast and quite cool and wind and blustery. Yeah, very different conditions for the clay, right, the play completely different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's much heavier, even in our even in our third round. Yeah, there was a lot heavier. It was dropping a lot more, wasn't flying as much.
Speaker 1: I've never been to the French Open, but it always looks cool. I feel like French people are pretty cool people. There's quite a lot of straw boaters and cravats going on. Is it cool?
Speaker 2: I like it? Yeah. I think the atmosphere's phenomena. It's very very busy. It's it's it's.
Speaker 3: It's strange you watch on TV and there's empty seats. Right, we're going to discuss this. But walking around as a player, you can't move, you know, if you're walking to susan long long to practice or or or somewhere else. It's incredibly busy, probably less so now because there's less less.
Speaker 2: Players in the tournament, but it was very well attended.
Speaker 3: I think one of the reasons that people think it's empty is because a lot of the court prit seats are in camera shots and a lot of time something lunch, so that that's never a good look anyway. But I think every year you see a lot of empty seats at certain points.
Speaker 2: In the day. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't see that on the outside courts, you know, when I played my third round, it was pretty full. Court seven fourteen was always rammed because you have French players. Maybe it's just a big stadium courts. But it was busy, it was hot, it was fun. We were now in Paris when PSG were playing the final and I very very quickly retired to my room because people were running around top of letting flares off and.
Speaker 1: Stuff like that, really like out on the streets. So psc beat Arsenal on pair and what was what was Paris like that night?
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was like another like two or three levels more in England what we do, but like not in a good way.
Speaker 2: I would say, oh really, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously there's good atmosphere in places, but then a lot of people are just running around like headless chickens, like looting.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, there's police. There was police everywhere.
Speaker 3: We were going to go walk to our restaurant we went to every night, and then there were people running towards us, away from something in smoke everywhere. So let's just eat on the corner, like twenty yards from our hotel. There was a little restaurant and we were sat outside kind of outside between inside and outside, and PSD scored and we had to run to the furthest table inside the restaurant because, yeah, people were letting flares after there was stuff getting destroid.
Speaker 1: I feel the French are quite good at this. They're quite good at striking, and then they're quite good at all of a sudden turning into blame is our barricades? Bang?
Speaker 2: Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was mental one, but to the point where I was like not scared, scared, but like I want to get into my hotel room there, and there's.
Speaker 1: One way to celebrate a cup win, isn't it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was. It was.
Speaker 3: Obviously it's a minority, but I'd say there's more minority than in the UK. People get rowdy and stuff like that, but they're there to watch the football and enjoy the football, and there's always a palace.
Speaker 1: Won the f A Cup, Me and all the Palace fans should have looted and set Croydon on fire because it would have caused two or three million pounds worth of improvements.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it should have done. But and you won another one recently.
Speaker 1: All we do is wing cuts boring. What did you playing? Overall? Right, the whole experience of it. So the placers stayed, the changing of the place's stayed, the travel, the coaching, hitting, all of it. If you learn, what's your big takeaways? I mean, obviously I'm talking to you, so don't be a fay. I learned nothing.
Speaker 3: My big takeaway, I suppose now, is that we went into that third round against one of the best teams in the world on clay or on any surface, but especially right now. We went into that match, or certainly I did. I went into that match believing we had a chance to win, and not just to you know, I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to have to play out my skin and hit high risk shot.
Speaker 3: So there was a strategy and we went million miles off being at least a breakup in the first we have fifteen forty in the rally, chance to put the ball away, didn't and then they came back and won. And then second set again one or two break points in that game.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, I've got more belief that.
Speaker 3: I can slay with these guys, like the best players in the world, more than I had a year ago. I mean a year ago it was second wimbled and I just I hadn't played Australia yet. So a year ago I'd only played Wimbledon, and you know, we were pumped to get through our first round Hillio, Varra, Patt and we gost six and four, played all right, but it was for me, it was about getting in these events and you know, trying to sneak a win or two.
Speaker 2: Which it still is that. I mean, top players, top ten.
Speaker 3: Players lose first round the Slam sometimes that's that's the reality of it. But I suppose there's more belief now, there's more unclear on what I need to improve, and that's pretty cool. It's exciting for me now, whereas you know a year ago or so or even you know late last year, I was still really kind of by myself, churning out to tournaments, sort of thinking how high can I get? Like this, now I've got, you know, support, I've got ad Louis helping me out there. I've got Adam with me, I've got yeah, it's it's it's more real. Now I feel less alone. I feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more more belief in the whole thing, which is cool.
Speaker 1: When you're coming up against them, the pair that you played like, they've gone into that. They're in the quarter finals already.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, Sammy's now they won last night.
Speaker 1: Seven fourteen twelve, and yeah, I like final that.
Speaker 2: Would be a good match. Oberlight and news A are very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so it's Favasori and Bellelli. What do you realize in the warm up in the first game that you're playing against players of that quality? Or are their little kind of clutch moments that they can produce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nothing.
Speaker 3: They can play out of the ordinary stuff, but it's it's more like when you're hitting with them, you know, they hit a nice ball like every but everyone does. It's kind of yeah, every time you have a half chance, they're probably going to make a good first serve. They don't miss stupid balls in certain moments. They don't give you anything really. Yeah, they might miss a few returns here or there, but there's no they don't just gift you a break or gift your love thirty and if they are down, you know, you know, the fifteen forty we had had a second serve. I made the return, I say in the point, and then you know, three unreturnables in a row pretty much right, and then your four to three on seven you've got to you know, hold your game, which we did.
Speaker 2: But there's a you know, yeah, they're just incredibly solid at what they do. So there's no they don't.
Speaker 3: Drop the ball short, they don't go to stupid shots. They don't there's no randomness really, it's just incredibly locked in.
Speaker 1: And I mean it was four and three overall. But as you said, opportunities, especially in our first set, opportunities were there. Is that sometimes is being in that position better for you next time you're in that position? You know, like I do a little bit of you when you're fifteen forty, You're like, we're fifteen forty against really good players at the French Opening. Is there a bit of that or is it just another point?
Speaker 3: I have time Like it was fifteen forty. I was, I was planning on where I was going to hit the return, and.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just play and go after it and stay loose.
Speaker 3: And you know, the one second steve I had, I hit a good return. As I said, we're in the point. But then from thirty forty they've hit three first serves and then second set. Oh one, all I've left the ball that I thought was going long. It's caught the back edge of the line and very very back edge of the line. I still thought it might have been long, but it was in apparently, But yeah, it comes down to well an eighth of an inch sometimes, yeah, but yeah we did it wasn't you know the match before they played us, they played Bumbay and Venus they lost six points in their serving the whole match, six or seven points. So you know, you don't have the right to have opportunities just when you do, you ideally want to take them.
Speaker 2: But you say their opportunity to you know.
Speaker 3: And four of the break points too, were in the rally, and one of those I thought we probably.
Speaker 2: Should have taken. Yeah, you know, had I hit the volley. I'm still hitting a volley and approaching Mollie and the to their four hands. It's very good. So yeah, So a lot of times I've.
Speaker 3: Played, you know, good pairs and you lose four or five or six and four, but you have one break point randomly or zero, and it's more of a chopping than that much.
Speaker 2: We just played. I suppose I.
Speaker 1: Thought they were very good second serve returners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't miss. Yeah, especially on Yaka. They got round news foor handslot on mine.
Speaker 2: On mine.
Speaker 3: As a malefty, I could make it a bit more difficult for them, but they don't.
Speaker 2: They don't just give you random errors very rarely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's what I thought. It's but it's it's what they were doing on the second serve, like, from a coaching point of view, was effective and repeatable returns, isn't it all of every second serve return Like very rarely would they go for something outrageous. It was in. It was forcing you guys to play. It's relentless, isn't it. It's just relentless.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then sometimes you know, I'd hit a return second to last game, took it early, came in, but they just hits the angle winner off it straight away, but they've got.
Speaker 1: They've got a little bit of clutch, Yeah, a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of class, a little bit extra class.
Speaker 3: You know, I hit a return that nine of the time you're going to have a volley from at least and he's just when I passed you. So there is that, and then have a sorry on his second serve.
Speaker 2: Returney a justice position.
Speaker 3: So sometimes they'll you know, stand really wide and change your eyesight of it, and other times they'll take it early and hit the back end, so you never really know. I do it as a net player because I can see how he's moving, but as a survey you don't know if he's going to circle and you don't know if he's going to blast the inside in or you know he's going to take the back end earlier, he's going to larb and get in the point that way. So it's it's effective, and it keeps you thinking and it keeps your eyes pretty active.
Speaker 2: As an opponent.
Speaker 3: They haven't really lost many matches on play recently, so obviously they're very good saying.
Speaker 1: Saying all of that has almost made it sound for somebody who hasn't seen it and is maybe watching or listening to us now, it makes it seem like there was a bigger gap. I mean, the the match was tight. I was able to see it. It was tight, and there were just moments. So I'd say probably overall is about a ten point difference between the YouTube something like that. Yeah, you four, sorry, and it just comes down to where those ten points fall. But you saying that about having the confidence of being on the court with those guys, knowing that you can get in with those guys. You're playing the fifth seed in the third round on your least preferred surface. Yeah, on grass, on grass, I think you guys have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it depends depends on you. Other stories.
Speaker 1: I mean they're no mugs or grass the don't get me wrong, but.
Speaker 2: Very very well.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'd say for me, I'd have more of a chance and more comfortable on that surface.
Speaker 2: But there we go. It's not all hate with the Clare's some positives.
Speaker 1: We'll try and find them in the break because when we come back, we're going to talk about the draw that's blown wide open by Sinner. I want to get your view of what it's like to be in a drawer and see a couple of top seeds go and Serena Williams back at forty four. Will Marcus Willis still be playing at forty four, Let's find out after this Welcome back to the words You're talking about Willis Podcast with him eighty p. Six seven Marcus Willis and me Dave. So let's just go a little bit into the French open. Sinner out of the French blew it wide open. Lots of shocks following, you know, Djokovic out and so on, and basically the whole top ten, top fifteen capitulated, leaving as Verev a reasonably clear path for his maiden Grand Slam. Have you ever played in a tournament and you arrive thinking, you know, I'm going to work on this, I'm going to work on that, and all of a sudden the drawer opens up, a little bit of top seeds go, maybe someone's injured, and and you think, oh, hang on, my goalposts have shifted.
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 3: I've always been quite I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, but I've always known I can lose to anyone at any point, but.
Speaker 2: In the same way, I respect everyone.
Speaker 3: So you know, if I'm playing someone significantly lower ranked who hasn't had great results.
Speaker 2: I will still respect.
Speaker 3: Them and rate what they can do, because I found in times where I thought, oh, I'm going to win this. You get someone playing off their face and you don't, and it's you need to be prepared for them to play the best tennis. So, yeah, I've been in loads of tournaments where seeds are drops. In doubles, it means nothing, especially at challenges you like in slams. You know it's more rare, but it still happens. Yeah, in singles, I've been in a lot of tournaments where seeds strapping. You go, all right, well we'll cross that bridge if I'm in their section of the drawer quite often, actually quite a lot in my career, and I played the top seed or second seed first round, and I think I had a really good record against them, And I think almost as better a player seed first round than when they get later on in the tournament.
Speaker 1: So you've been the one knocking them out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quite a bit. I want to say, it would be interesting to do the stats on that. I suppose, but obviously some might lost.
Speaker 3: But I always said, you know, recently, in singles, if you're playing a tournament, especially a change of surface or a new tournament.
Speaker 2: If you play a.
Speaker 3: Seed, you want to play in first round because they you know, it's their first match, they've not had time to get hot yet.
Speaker 1: Does the atmosphere in the because I know that players they're very competitive on cour but quite often they're reasonably friendly off court, needing each other's for hits or whatever, tickets and stuff, does the atmosphere in the changing room go a little bit different as soon as they realize, Like when Sinner went out, do you think Zverev just grew a couple of inches that day? And then the other players all looked at it and went, hm, it's only Zverev to be even though is like colossal. They're looking at him in Grand slams, Grand Slam finals, they're looking a little bit of choking someone like a Berrettini all of a sudden goes hang on.
Speaker 3: I don't I think that's what we think from the outside. I don't think any one of those players has gone, I can win the tournament a sin it. I think they'll be thinking, right, okay, I've got to get through this next match, and I think forever will be the same. There might be a part of him that's excited, but it's all irrelevant. If he doesn't get to the final, he's got to play Mensik next, who's playing phenomenally.
Speaker 1: Well, like it's yeah, I'm real, it's not easy, So he'll.
Speaker 2: Be thinking all about that, and then you know, some on the other side of one.
Speaker 3: Six matches, So yeah, I think, yeah, for us, it's more exciting. It's more we start predicting who's favorite or.
Speaker 2: Who's going to win, and yeah, sometimes we're right, sometimes they're wrong.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think they'll see it as an opportunity. They're in the quarters of a slam, not playing a top layer on paper. But I don't think they'll think much more than that.
Speaker 2: They'll they'll be thinking, right, you know, how am I getting through this match? How do I win? How do I win today and then recover? And then who have I got next? And how do we for that?
Speaker 1: And do you think life's just got a lot harder for Zverev? Do you think Sinner going out It would be better for Verev if Sinner went out in a semi final, because then you just go one match. But as soon as Verev goes out. I was reading on a website yesterday. There's a seventy two percent chance a very f now wins the French Open, which is a highest statistical percentage. And he's ever had of any Grand Slam he's entered, even when he's in the final. So do you think that there's a his team are trying to keep him calm, keep him focused match by match, because actually there's more pressure on him.
Speaker 2: Now, different pressure, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's the scarier pressure pressure of I'm going to play center and I'm going to try and hold myself. See how I get on versus I'm playing someone who's twenty seven atp or lower. I've got a win, I'm expected to win. I've got a witness at the friend. I've got to win the Grand Slam. Now, there's not a better chance for me in my career. He's never played in a Grand Slam where no one else in the top ten is left by him.
Speaker 2: That must be harder, Ah, harder, But you probably take that before the thought of them.
Speaker 3: You'd probably take that harder than the other harder of trying to beat cinema acres. But yeah, and I'm looking forward to watching that semi final. Mentis playing really well, and you know the other half is still some good players. It's just like Bretine, he's not really one hundred and eight in the world is he's playing. He's a lot better than that. But yeah, i'd still think if he plays Bertine in the final, i'd expect to have to win. But it's it's one of those things. And having been around it all there so these teams and these guys are so on the next task, whatever that is with us physio or handing rackets in or they won't be thinking about the final before the semi final. And you know, so I went out ages ago and very still got on with it and played some good tennis. So I expect him to.
Speaker 2: Do the same.
Speaker 3: I expect him to play well in the semis, don't expect him to freak out. I think I'll love the belief that he can win, considering he's not really lost to anyone apart from as we've discussed before. But you know, if Mensik turns around and plays his best tennis and beats him, it's not like the biggest shock in the world, not to me, not to me, and it will be frustrating, But have you seen the way mensick.
Speaker 1: Plays these like. I can't believe the amount of new talent on show at the French this year. The French, you know, sometimes it's the Aussie, isn't it that has that little breakthrough start of the year's start. The French this year is just showcased that all of the chatre we've had about oh there's only top two players in the world and stuff like this. I think over the next year to eighteen months, we're going to be back in a big especially if our Karazis gets the odd injury or sinner, you know, can't find his factor fifty. I think we're going to start seeing that that's there are opportunities, especially in Masters like this and real talent now, massive hitters and stuff like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like Basher withdraw in the second round. You've got some really good players that then make it through or get injured or unlucky as well. There's a lot of good tennis players out there.
Speaker 1: Well. One future star of tennis, of course, is Serena Williams. I don't know if you've ever heard of the name Serena Williams, so rather unknown American player. She's got our whole future ahead of her she's coming back at Queens. So just a quick word because I want to relate this to you right as because you are the bustiest tennis player I know. So I want to relate this back to you. Okay, are you shocked? Are you shocked she's come back? Question one? Question two? What is she seeing that's made her think I can come back?
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised. I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not shock because you know, especially over the women's side, you haven't. You had Navrathelo overcome back for it, you had Hingis come back from it, you had all these they do.
Speaker 1: It Tapriati yeah, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do it and they're good. You know, don't expect her to come back and be rusty or rubbish. Sure she'll be winning matches, right Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I think if you still believe in yourself, like I've had this, I had to stop because I couldn't play anymore.
Speaker 2: But I think it's just loving the feeling of playing tennis.
Speaker 3: So she's she So yeah, when kids had their personal life and thought, yeah, probably watching and keeping an eye on the on the on the tours and stuff like that, and probably just thought, I want to go and do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just just like just like a childhood, if they see someone doing something they want to do, they'll want to go and join in. It's that same thing. That's how I imagine it anyway. I mean, I don't know. I don't think she'll be in any financial difficulties and needs to make you know.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, that's the reason that most people would be giving up around your level, isn't it is they failure to fund it when they're two fifty eightyp That's.
Speaker 2: Why people don't play longer. Yeah, that's what people are trying to fix.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: She is not going to have that problem. So do you think she has just got years and years ingrained of drilling, having coaching, being in a place doing a thing. She's retired, she's had a kid or kids, I don't know, and actually she just feels that there's something majorly missing from her routine, a bit like people who have a career break and need to go back to the office or whatever. Like I kind of think if I was to not be able to work, I don't think i'd retired. I feel I couldn't really imagine just watching Country five.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean someone like Serena as well, that the passion and belief she must have to get to where she has already, she will be trying to do the best she can, and she'll believes she can, you know, still win matches at the highest level, which I believe she.
Speaker 2: Can as well.
Speaker 1: When you love to know how the mechanics work for like a billionaire athlete like her, who's no doubt got a team of people who do everything the mechanics are. She's she lost a load of weight. I think she did an advert in Super Bowl, yeah, for weight loss, for weight loss medication. Right, so she's feeling trimmed, she's feeling good. She's sitting there watching Asimova in the Women and Final lose to Love. Right, this is what I'm imagining. Okay, She's sitting there in her with her two thousand inch screen, and she thinks I wouldn't lose to Love to sky check. I reckon I could have a go, And the person sitting next to her goes, yeah, he probably could, and she goes, yeah, I can still serve one fifteen wide. Yeah, you probably keep and blah blah blah. Do you know what I'm going to I'm going to go and play t and then she does, and then she alerts someone in the team in team serena, I want to do it. I'm going to have a go and they go, right, I need to speak to the managing director of Nike. We need to do this. You need to have that fly in a hitter. We're gonna yeah, like it's and then that's it. It's gone. It's out of her hands, it's gone.
Speaker 2: A lot of logistics behind it, high.
Speaker 1: Chart somewhere that I think there was a moment that she's watched women's tennis and she thought.
Speaker 3: She's probably got yeah, and meant self belief that she should do with chief. I don't know if it would have been an Asmo overmatch, it would have been something in the game where it would have been more herself like.
Speaker 2: I can do this, and I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know if she ever stopped because she doubted that she could. I don't know reasons for stopping to have, you know, exactly.
Speaker 1: The family and the marriage time.
Speaker 2: To do that. I don't ever think she's.
Speaker 3: Had self doubts until whether she can still be a very good tennis player and win win stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she certainly seems a confident person. What will you still be playing tennis at forty four?
Speaker 2: Definitely?
Speaker 3: And so I just don't know if I'll be playing the Coventry League at forty four or running Garrison forty four.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, I'm not going to stop playing out of love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah and when? So what's going to stop you playing?
Speaker 2: And finance?
Speaker 1: That's it?
Speaker 2: No one else.
Speaker 1: As long as you can, you're out there. Yeah, there you go, Tennis world, that's a threat. There's a threat, Tennis World.
Speaker 2: What shall in local parks near you?
Speaker 1: Right? Coming up after the break, this is exciting, Marks and I do like to think of us as very much amateur scientists, amateur doctors as well. We didn't complete medical school, but we know we know our way around the body. Coming up after the break, we're going to stress test custard, bloody love custard, one of them. I actually have to depack now because of a fear of the smell.
Speaker 2: You got the same thing?
Speaker 1: If I have, then that's fine. Should we just start here? So look, let's just do a quick welcome back while open up a few packets. We are actually live now, so I've just got to open up a couple of extra bits. Welcome. This is part three of the worlds you're talking about? Will this podcast not thrown together?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: This is professional? Now? This part is very exciting because I only know one person where I can leave a voice note that says tomorrow on a podcast, do you want to stress test custard? We both bloody love custard, And as I send it over to you, I know there's not a chance in hell you would say no ah ah, So exciting to know you. So basically what this is, lovely listener and viewer, is we have got five You've got five. Yeah, I've got five things as previously discussed, five things that we are going to put custard on or in or over, and then we are going to eat it because I I love custard to the point Marcus, I can have custard cold h Yeah, yeah, I can just do it. Have you got a custard of choice? Ambrosia of birds and so mind in a bowl? Yours good? Mine's an ambrosia out of a tin. So we don't know what each other's got. And I think what we're going to do as as true scientists here because we've we've obviously got the apparatus, the method underlining it, and write classwork in the corner. We've got all of the scientific experiment ready. We will show each other what we're about to dip cover in custard and then try it live on air and feedback to stress test custard. Just how far can custard still go and remain beautiful? Marcus? Would you like to take it away?
Speaker 2: Got the roast turkey? Slice?
Speaker 1: A roast turkey slice with custard. Finally someone's put it together.
Speaker 2: And what I'm going to do with this is enrollment.
Speaker 1: No, so you're putting the custard like a tltilla. Oh no, you're going to roll and a dip.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so you got the custard and then mhm, o me, do I just have to have one bite? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I mean you don't have to. Is turkey and custard night?
Speaker 2: Yes? Ah, a bit weird? Mm hmm, it's you know, it's fine.
Speaker 1: That's exactly how I describe you. Okay, can you rank turkey with custard out of four please? Four being brilliant, one being awful.
Speaker 2: So four would be like sponge pudding and custard. Oh yeah, yeah, okay, So this is a two.
Speaker 1: Okay, a pizza base. I'm going to have custard pizza. So I'm like the tomato sauce would be on a pizza. There we go. This is a visual thing. If you're not on our YouTube channel, you can hear this. So this is my first ever custard pizza. I mean it's a pizza base with custard on it.
Speaker 2: No, I gathered that.
Speaker 1: Do you know that's not the worst thing I've ever had?
Speaker 3: Yes, because pizza bases has a plandn't they. Yeah, So you've just got a bit of carb with custard. There's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 1: I actually went back in. A bit of card with custard is also the way I would describe you. So I'm gonna go I'm gonna say that's a three out of four. I like that custard pizza. Three out of four. I'm not gonna let they'll do with this research in years to come. I wonder if how no Bell find out about this.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not gonna dip this one because it's the it's a smoke salmon piece excellent.
Speaker 2: So what we're gonna do here is spoon it on. You can see here and that's kind a bit messy. Up, we're gonna have a rolls up better than the turkey slide h two and a half really surprisingly works with the saltiness and then you get the custom coming through at the end.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought that was gonna be grim. That's why I did it.
Speaker 1: Wow. So you're saying two point five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, better than the roast turkey. The roast turkey slice is a bit weird that.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: You know if someone had come out of a wedding with with them and I have one, I'll probably get another one.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like you'd eat it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, shall I? I go for my fish based Okay, so I've gone for ready to eat seafood sticks.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you're disgusting.
Speaker 1: What is disgusting about seafood stick? Are you ready? It's a dip? Ok? Grooves of closs as horrible? M hm hmm. That's actually a challenge, scrim Okay, I'm giving seafood sticks one. Someone came out at a wedding with that. Yeah, exit do you like the super six so I can manage them?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh all right, this is gonna be a dip. This is cucumber.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. Oh, you and I have gone slightly aligned. I think because of the you've gone back in. Wow, a double dip cucumber and custard.
Speaker 2: It's nice. It's nice until you get the cucumber juice mixing in there as well.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the initial crunch is good, but once a middle of the cucumber mixing with the custard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a that's a two.
Speaker 1: Wow up there with turkey and that's going in the bed. I actually just had to have a little bit of a custard palate cleanser there because I'm still suffering a little bit with the seafood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did. That was actually nearly made me gag when you got.
Speaker 1: It was close. Yeah, okay, this one a pork pie.
Speaker 2: That's a minute.
Speaker 1: Look at this. If this is only a visual gag, that's what it would look like if my head was a pork pie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on the camera, are you spreading and you're dipping?
Speaker 1: Hang on, I got got distracted at school. I was distracted, easily distracted and distract others. That's what I'd look like with eyes in the nose as a pork Can you notice a difference hello. Okay, right, I'm going to remove that from the pie and get a fresh one. Okay, a pork pie. I'm gonna spread. I'm gonna have a little little pork, but I'm gonna have a topping on my pork pie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like you need to get it open and get the custom right in there.
Speaker 1: However, Ah, okay, great cove ridge, isn't it worse? That's worse than a step boostick mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Because of the jelly.
Speaker 1: The jelly, Oh my god, I've got to get rid of it. That's unswallowable. That is unswallowable. Berber Okay, that's revolting.
Speaker 2: I've kept it quite healthy here. Have you noticed the turkey the summer and the cucumber mm hmm. And the carrot.
Speaker 1: The carrot's good. Well, you're an athlete. You need to think about what you're going to eat your custard with.
Speaker 2: Better carrot makes you say in the dark apparently, mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Imagine that's all right. Carrot's not like an offensive taste.
Speaker 2: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: It's got a good crunch. I can see a good good that's a three carrot and castard.
Speaker 2: That's actually really nice.
Speaker 1: Carrot and custard. If we ever did a cop show, That's what I'd like Cus to be called.
Speaker 2: People got honey on the carrots.
Speaker 1: Yes they do. Yeah, I've been known to do that. So yeah, a carrot is a versatile, very versatile. Okay, nice, nice, simple one for the cheese, is that a layer down my light?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Just the same color I feel I'm just gonna do that. Yeah, same color. Nutty cheese, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Nutty fifty percent fat.
Speaker 1: Absolutely fine, absolutely perfect. You go back into that.
Speaker 2: He's Custer, but we have teams pickled. It's quite sweet. Yeah, cheese is good.
Speaker 1: Do you know what? I'm going to give it? A four?
Speaker 2: Really as good as yeah, as good as.
Speaker 1: It's not up there with treat or I don't know what I'm talking about. It's a three?
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I say four.
Speaker 3: Can't beget throwing those around out of ten ranking system seven or eight?
Speaker 1: What kind of idiot invented first of four?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So your final Now, this this one needs no introduction. It is one of the.
Speaker 3: You know on and the crisp car that came last in my head, got a lot of controversy, but pretty very very very basic Christmas A bacon fry.
Speaker 1: Mh. Do love a bacon fry in a pub?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I thought they were wider than that. I haven't had one in a while, quite thin. Maybe you've grown maybe I've grown it.
Speaker 5: Oh I'm so tense, you've gone back.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a three point five geesus filth man. It's like salty, yeah, really good, really good.
Speaker 3: It just shows that with custard you can make you can polish a turdy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can make bake and fry taste nice, guys. What's that lettice?
Speaker 1: Lettice? Shredded lettice? I'm on a health kick this year. I've lost twenty four kilos, so I'm on a health kick. That's that. Oh no, like a topic that Gordon Ramsey, Now you you do it.
Speaker 2: I feel like most sauces but in sad are eighty perent sugar now anyway?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure, I've got to eat. I've only got a spoon.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, just tip your head in there.
Speaker 1: It's all over my clean look. The flavor, like the kind of dullness of the lettuce with the sweetness of the custard. Absolutely fine. I'm going I'm going to three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought that would be okay. Any surprise, isn't there?
Speaker 1: Okay, so well let's just summarize this because people really care.
Speaker 2: You know, people are listening, still listening, then must be raining outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something's gone wrong or they're just those people where they, you know, the nursing home, just put the things on the you know, the earphones in their ears, and now they just can't move. So turkey two, smoked salmon two point five, cucumber two, carrot three, bacon, fries three point five lettuce three, cheese three, pork pie no, couldn't even be swallowed, seafood one, and pizza three. Where was your surprise for your side?
Speaker 2: It was support pie.
Speaker 3: Really it makes sense because I don't like pop pies actually, ironically, I know, surprise looking at me. But yeah, like the gelatine bit, like the wabbly bit of the middle and the like how dry, how dry the top is and how fatty the.
Speaker 2: Sausage is in the middle.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So it doesn't not for you, yeah, but actually a lot of people do like it.
Speaker 3: I'm not putting bit of custody out I thought, but yeah, your reaction was very funny and the smoke salmon my side.
Speaker 1: Do you know what of all of the ones that you've got, Like the carrot, it's a bland flavor. I'm surprised at the smoked salmon.
Speaker 2: It was all right, yeah, yeah, fine, absolutely no pleasant.
Speaker 1: The bacon fry, I mean, that's that's colossal.
Speaker 2: That that really improved it and gave it that salty sweet kind of flavor.
Speaker 1: And I feel it moves bacon Fries the next time there's an atp end of season Masters. I feel like the versatility of a bacon fry now has gone up. I think any that's an any surface crisp now it is, that's going to be round there.
Speaker 2: It was really really nice. Yeah, that that.
Speaker 1: Crisp now has gone from aggressive baseliner to hand up the back of the grip.
Speaker 2: It's a bigger transition than serve a couple of off seasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's huge, And congratulations to bacon Fries and bacon FRI's team for making such a change.
Speaker 2: Some of our lesseners will be happy with that. Yeah, I now respect that bacon fry a bit more than I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, bacon Fry very much. Today is burst onto the scene. You know it wasn't luck it's now official. I can't believe that we do this. What a couple of no beds. So well done, Marcus. I'm going to let you get back to normal life.
Speaker 2: Enjoy the rest of your seafood sticks.
Speaker 1: Pervert. Yeah, fingers, was it the movement bit?
Speaker 2: It was just like they were wobbling everywhere and not the color of them, just discussing that. Yeah, I don't mind him. I can't even look at the screen. It's grim.
Speaker 6: Victor Baranco on trombone, Sergeant Major Craig Frederick on the trumpets, and the composition the Army Blues
Speaker 3: Walked up down