Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Backflips and Nerds, the Baseball podcast with the British Twist. I am your host this evening, Russell Lisam and I am delighted to be back in the UK and talking to my baseball friends about baseball. Firstly, we have the man who has some serious opinions about John Henry and others.
Speaker 2: So John, how are we doing?
Speaker 3: I'm all right, I think yeah, you're teasing. I think that's called the segment of the podcast. Let's see if it lives up to billing.
Speaker 1: And also with John today, as the viewers on YouTube, we'll see as we have the man who can give us all of the fields for the world of Rocky fandom, Ben Carter, how are you doing today, man?
Speaker 3: I'm good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But last time we recorded, I said the Rockies a hit rock bottom and the very next night they lost twenty one nil and then sacked two very important people on their team. So I'm not going to do anything like that this time because they can always get worse.
Speaker 3: Is that way You've come in Tiger's full kit?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 3: Hope you're hoping to divert the Whodo onto a different franchise.
Speaker 4: YouTube viewers are going to be confused. It's Royals last week, Tigers this week. Just a big AL Central.
Speaker 1: Fan me, now, yeah, and the one who supports the Al Central team is wearing a bunch of angels.
Speaker 2: Geary picked up on the West Coast.
Speaker 1: So yeah, before we get into the musings of my trip that I've just been on in California for three weeks, I think we have to talk through a couple of key topics, which I've hinted on two of them already, but I think we do have to start with the latest I think episode of the telenovela that is Raphael Devers and the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 2: Like this is just it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Like we we chatted at the start of the season, how like, how do you not have a conversation with your player before that player then says something out in public and be like, hey, don't say this, And we thought, well, maybe they will have learned from it. Well, I guess the answer is they haven't. We've had the wonders of Raffie Devers basically telling the whole entire public that he does not want to play for a space. I think there was a definite level of mistranslation. Again, as we've had with some of this before from him stayings in Spanish, just not saying he doesn't want to do it, but the fact that he doesn't know how to do it and it's a difficult thing to do. But John, who is most in the wrong here devers Breslo. John Henry like, how much should a player bend for a team?
Speaker 3: Well, I think first things first is I'm going to doff my cap for the culturally appropriate reference they're telling novella, very very very nice.
Speaker 2: It's a really good barbecue boys, So that's fine.
Speaker 3: I did you. Oh well, there you go, Jake and Jordan always splicing the trail for us. As Ever, it's a good question, Rouss. I don't really think I have a straight answer to it. Unfortunately, I have been I'll be honest, quite surprised how much blowback there's been on Devas in the Boston Red Sox fan base. I mean, look, this is a fan base that likes to beat people up unnecessarily, so you know that point. Notwithstanding, I feel genuinely quite sorry for him, like I think in the summer, in the off season, sorry, he was treated really poorly. I think the decision to prioritize Alex Bregman for the good of the team was probably the right one in baseball terms. But as you said in your intro, there's no way that he should have been hung out to dry as the leader of the team, the face of the franchise, and asked questions about how he felt about that possibility, he should have been guarded away from it, and he just wasn't. And obviously there are really difficult circumstances with Tristan Cossus. It's difficult. It's the worst possible injury that could happen to the Red Sox. You know, they have two of the best prospects in baseball ready to play, and they can play basically every single position apart from that one. Well, they could play that position, but why would you want them to be an entire, entire waste of their talent. It's the worst possible injury for the Red Sox, and there is an obvious solution. Like Raffield Evers is a decent third baseman, he's not fielding at all. He could fill in that position. But I think it's totally understandable on a purely human level that he is rightly, righteously angry and feels like he's been totally jerked about. I don't know Craig Breslo personally. He seems like he's a smart guy, a very good baseball person, a good baseball player, and a great baseball mind. But he doesn't seem to have a great deal of emotional IQ and I think to approach Devers given the circumstances and sort of expect him to toe the line in a way that fit for the team immediately off the bat was just a lacking an entire lack of emotion like you. Contrast that to how Alex Koorra approached it, and he basically said right away, I don't think he's going to play first base. He completely protected his player. I just feel really sorry for him now. I do understand why John Henry went to Kansas City and said, pull your finger out. I'm paying you thirty million dollars a year to do this. You will be doing this for the good of the team. I also find the reporting of that really stranger. That he's gone there to read the riot Act. I would imagine he's probably gone out there to put an arm around him and try and talk him around to it. I think he probably will do it eventually. I just think it's been managed really poorly, primarily by Craig Breslo. And what he said was right, he's never done it before. It's not the optimal solution. So yeah, it could have been handled a hell of a lot better. And I find myself not for the first time disappointed in the Boston fan base that they have not been able to recognize first and foremost that although these guys are athletes, although they're paid a hell of a lot of money and they should suck things up, I'm not saying that's not a tree point, they are human beings, and that human being has been treated pretty poorly for the last six months by the team he's contracted to. So yeah, I think I think he deserves a bit of a break.
Speaker 1: I think from my point of view, and I'll come to you next Ben quickly, is that we saw him then have the worst start to the season that is probably imaginable, and everybody was just like, oh, you see, look, he's not even going to give it anything to the team. Since what eight games into the season, he's probably been the second best player in baseball. He's been on an absolute tear, and that seems to have earned him nothing with with the fandom, which I can't understand. Like Ben, if this was your franchise player of this was Chris Bryant and he wasn't performing A wait, that is the truth, how would you feel all?
Speaker 4: I think it's a very strange way to treat your franchise player first and foremost, Like I get wanting to fill a gap at first base, and the results have been a very unique position. Where as John said, they aren't short of hitting talent, they are just short of hitting talent that can play first base right now, which is not a position made teams find themselves in. But usually the first person you are protecting our situation is your mega superstar on the big contract. He wouldn't be the one that you'd be like, right, you shove over and play that position now because we need you to. And I have a lot of sympathy for Devors for the reasons that John outlined, Like he was jerked around a bit in spring training where I don't think he gave a great account for himself. He sucked it up play DH as you say, has now been their best player and one of the best hitters in baseball for the last month and now is being sort of jerked around a little bit again. So yeah, look I'm inclined to take his side more than the Red Sox side. Do I think he should have handled it differently, Yes, of course, like airing us out in public in a pretty explosive press conference not the best way to go about it. But ultimately, it is difficult to play first base, and we've seen guys try and do it. I Meank Carle Shauber with the Red Sox right was an absolute disaster over there. And look, Devers is a better defender than Shauber ever has been. I'm sure he do a better job at first base. You can see why he'd want to protect himself a little bit from being lambasted by fans in the media when he turns out not to be a gold glove first base first time paying the position. So ultimately I think he will give it a go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's bloody.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly, and I think he will give it a go, and I think he'll probably end up perfectly serviceable there. But the whole thing, presumably is that's a pretty nasty taste in his mouth, and it feels like it has the potential to spiral in a bad way for the team. So yeah, we'll see. It's a strange drama.
Speaker 3: He's got ten years left on his contract, and after five games of the season, we were all laughing and saying, oh my goodness, that's a terrible contract. But now we're kind of laughing at it for a completely different reason because Russell rightly points out if it wasn't for our and judge, he'd be the best hitter in baseball nor injudges as you just go last week, arguably the best righthanded of all time. He's been ridiculous since like eight gomes into the season. His ops is like almost a thousand. It's absolutely stupid. His ops last week was about eighteen hundred in a week. And he's doing this whilst all this guff is going on. Just pissed that guy off. Yeah, put some love on that guy's name right now, please.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I think we've got I got two quick questions which.
Speaker 2: I want to answer, ask you both about this.
Speaker 1: When do we think the redfield devis first plays first base for the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 3: I think it's probably going to be in June. I think he's probably working out with them now quite quietly behind the scenes. They're on the road at the moment, so it's a little bit more difficult to do it with, you know, outside of the view of Pete Pete Abraham and his pals in the press box. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's he's already taking reps with that met Yeah. I mean, he shifted to dh immediately after that whole fury broke out, didn't he. I'd set the over under around June first, and honestly, I wouldn't surprise me if, like next week we start seeing him taking a few reps there.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think he does come around eventually, but what a weird way of getting there when they do.
Speaker 1: And the one that I think is funnier. Who will be a Boston Red Sox part or the Organization for Longer Raffiae Evers, Craig Breslo or John Henry.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a really good question. I think in this order it'll be John Henry, Raffie Devers, and Craig Breslow, to be honest. And we're also overlooking the real victim of this scenario, which is none of those three. But it's mass attacker. Yes, he's the real victim.
Speaker 2: He's taken a lot of black hathn't.
Speaker 3: He Because that guy, that guy really is the odd man out if we're talking about people being the odd man out, and he must have seen he must be the only person who was happy to see Tristan Cossis go down. It's my time. Wrong, you're staying on the phantom il Son say you whenever?
Speaker 1: Okay, So talking about something else that's probably quite phantom to some of us. The pope is a Chicago White Sox fan. This is something that we all seemingly found out over the weekend. A little bit towards the end of last week, there was some initial rumors that he was a Cubs fan, and then it came out that he was a Chicago White Sox fan, and then beyond that, there's evidence of him going to White Sox games, even going to the World Series like in two thousand and five. All of this to me is like, it's kind of hilarious that like we now live in an age that like anybody becomes pope and you can go back and be like, what do they do for the last twenty years, Like, oh my god, they're a White Sox fan. This is the most amazing thing in the world. Have you seen the tops Now card for the Pope? So they released the tops now card, which is what Tops seemingly have done to become even more ridiculous with cards than possible. Whoever created the tops Now I need to like tip the cap like you guys. The person is an absolute genius, just being like something happened to megacard about it. People will buy a ton of them because it's only available for three days. The Pope one has sold over one hundred and thirty thousand copies. It is basically the best selling tops Now card of this year, and it's the highest selling tops Now card for a non sport ever.
Speaker 3: Is it the Pope at the World Series or is it you know on on the Balcony St Peter's him on the balcony in the side by the side by side of him, him and the miter and him in the in the White.
Speaker 1: Sox probably come out sooner we might have been able to get that, But I think then being on the on like the on on on the kind of the money when it came out, they went straight away with that card and I'm just like to me, it's just everything that's American like thrown together like into one thing. It's like something that's overly religious. It's baseball. It's not only just baseball fandom, it's baseball cards. I just can't think of anything that is just more encapsulates America in like one thing than a Pope baseball card.
Speaker 3: It's also very Chicago as well, right, Yeah, there this Catholic guy who's from the South Side who's a White Sox fan because he's and also like if you read anything about him, he's like notoriously for the little guy, right, he was a bishop in Peru and stuff like, of course he's a white Sox fan. Although my favorite thing that I saw about this in that sort of twelve fourteen hour inter regnan where we thought he was a Cubs fan, someone had mocked up the white smoke with the blue w on it, which was I was genuinely laughed out loud at that. So when I found out it was a White Sox song, like, oh no, that was such a good joke. Yea fly the w from the chimney of the of the Sistine Chapel. But yeah, very very lovely slice of Americana. And yeah, well the White Sox needs something, don't they.
Speaker 4: We've got to get the Pope into that is the leaked City Connect jersey that looks just like a Bulls jersey, like that thing that tops card is going triple platinum when we can get the Pope mocked up in that jersey. But yeah, I mean it's It was a great day to be on well just you know, social media generally, but certainly baseball social media when we discovered that the Pope is not only from Chicago but an avid baseball fan, seemingly, although for which team. Yeah, I was unclear for a while. Yeah, delicious, And I think it was assessed with as barbecue boys who pointed out the clip of him out the World Series. Someone found it. It was two outs in the ninth inning. So some poor soul watched three and a half hours of a twenty year old World Series game hoping I'd be on hope to see the Pope at some point in it. And in the final up that of the game, his lid pops up on screen. That must have been a euphoric moment when you're like.
Speaker 3: There he is, I've got him. There he is total Leo the fourteenth as I live.
Speaker 1: I think the one thing that this hopefully cement is that I think that we'll go to have a more international baseball in Europe. Think we're going to definitely now have the White Sox versus the Cubs having an international series with the Pope throwing out the first ball somewhere in in Rome. I think that like MLB will be all on that if they can. Got to kind of work out that SEO as best.
Speaker 3: As you can, getting sent Peter Square set up for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Dingers into the basilica or whatever and just like damaging like one hundred thousand year or like a two thousand year old architecture.
Speaker 2: I think it's a.
Speaker 3: Some of fun. Robert Harris, I've got an idea for Conclave too. I'm city.
Speaker 4: I can't believe Vatcan City is getting a baseball team before roy Utah.
Speaker 3: This is outrageous, okaylight sightly different denomination that Ben. That's true big rivalry actually.
Speaker 1: So the other thing that I alluded to in our opening was the potentially expected, if not then still surprising firing of the Rockies manager.
Speaker 2: Ben.
Speaker 1: I think we have to go to you first. Was this unexpected? Was this expected. Did we think that, like, because there was only a season left, he was probably gonna survive the entire time period.
Speaker 4: This was pointless, is what it was. I get it because like they had to do something. You know, the Pirates went and fired Derek Shelton. As we discussed, they were the first to move. And I guess when you're on pace to be the worst team in history and you lose a game twenty one nil, you kind of have to do something. I don't think Bud Black is at fault here. I think he's a pretty good manager. I think he'll get a job somewhere else, maybe not as a manager, but certainly he's well respected within the league, and I think the team liked him. But you do have to do something right. I don't quite know how Bill Schmidt as GM has kept his job. I guess he's not been there that long. But this is clearly an issue of roster building, right. This is not you know, on field decision making. It's letting the Rockies down here. You know, I have many ballpen moves poor Buddy Black or line that moves he could make, and again he's made some questionable ones. Certainly, you are the lineup, but like, this is a roster building problem. So this is yeah, shoffing the deck chairs on the Titanic. This won't make any difference really in the outcome of this season for the Rockies. But I also get optically for fans who traveled to the game every every night and try to cheer for this team, you do have to do something and that is probably the easiest leaver to Paul right, is going to the manager bring someone else in. We're not happy with the level of baseball we've seen so far this season. This doesn't represent us as a franchise. We want to be better. It's not gonna change anything, but at least it shows you're trying to do something in a sort of superficial way.
Speaker 3: Has anyone read the piece that Jakement's right second mention for Jakements in this podcast about how the Rockies are it's well worth. There's a good one in the Athletics this week as well. Yeah, yeah, it's it's absolutely ludicrous. Like the paragraph that blew my mind the most is like the list of how long the tenure is of all of the senior executives. Yeah that I can't remember exactly which one of them. But there's one of them who's been there since the founding of the franchise, who's like a VP of baseball ops. Schmid has been there since nineteen ninety nine, so you know, you could say he's not been the GM for that long. He has been the gym for four years, right, and the team has got worse in every single one of those four years. But he's been there since nineteen ninety nine. Yeah. The fundamental point here is that, as a load of people have said before, other people have said it better than us. There's a brilliant David Roth tweet about this. It's about five years old, and it's still entirely relevant. They're not actually trying to build a baseball team. They're just having a nice time with their friends. That is literally what they're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, vibes, and isn't it a nice ballpark? And shall we watch a game? Oh? We lost so well?
Speaker 3: I mean beyond I mean yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: The tenure of some of the guys there, it's unbelievable, Like, why does the same thing keep happening to us? We should keep those guys in their jobs store for other twenty years and see if things change. Same with I mean Dick one for his son is currently the head of I think it's pro scouting, like unbelievable. And I read an article about how you know, it's not like you just got given the job, but come on, the owner's son having such an important baseball position.
Speaker 3: That's not how good franchises are run.
Speaker 4: And yeah, it's unbelievable that there hasn't been more wide scale change in the history of this franchise given a futility. But that is just the Rockies, right, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. And part of the thing, you know, I think, but Black was only the fifth or sick manager in history. They don't tend to make big changes, so this is quite a big change for them. But like, at some point just tear it all down right and restart. What you're doing isn't working. But I have no faith in ownership to actually do that at any point. So we'll see where this goes from here. I think it just peters out and goes nowhere.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the other amazing thing in Jake's piece is that they have like no proprietary pitch modeling at all, Like they have no model for what pitches are going to work in their park. Who's got good stif off that might work and they are probably the team that needed the most. There have it. Never mind firing Bud Black employee like Enosyrus or something, do that.
Speaker 1: I think the thing to me is like I wonder if someone basically tried to do it, decided basically that it's basically a possible, So why bother and let's just have fun like.
Speaker 3: Everyone everyone's everyone's still turning up having a lovely time, sucking down on a blue moon. Keep it going.
Speaker 4: There's got to be a mass nerd somewhere who sees it as a really cool challenge and wants to at least try something different rather than like, let's just give Carl Friedland a ten year extension and hope that works. I mean, like I realized it's not a great gig, But there's got to be someone out there who can try something that you know involves using data or analysis of some kind, rather than that man got a base hit, yes, Soday, let's give him a start again.
Speaker 2: It ain't broke, don't fix it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's broke.
Speaker 4: It's so like John said that having fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who are we to young? His young yeah, quite okay, So those are our hot topics.
Speaker 1: As I briefly mentioned at the start of this podcast, I have been in California for three weeks and I watched a few games of baseball, so I have some West Coast wisdom that I wanted to pass on to you and Ben and John to see what their thoughts on.
Speaker 2: From what I've seen.
Speaker 1: Part one is a fairly simple one, which is just if you get the chance, go watch college baseball.
Speaker 2: Like it was.
Speaker 1: This is not something I anticipated I was going to do. I bought tickets to go watch Major League baseball, but my partner was like, oh, well, while we're there, like can Parley, which is the team that the university that she went to, we're playing in UC Santa Barbara.
Speaker 2: When we were right next to Santa Barbara.
Speaker 1: So for a ticket that was less than ten dollars, we went to watch a college baseball game. There's like, I don't know, two hundred, maybe five hundred people in the stadium, all enjoying themselves on a sunny afternoon to just watch a game of baseball, which, if I'm on it, these are two reasonable D one teams. There's not much like the quality isn't how much lower than what do you want at a major league level? Like, it's actually like a really entertaining game to watch, and it's just so much fun, like to be part of that, to see have the casual conversations with people around, to be like, oh, what you're from, like the UK, like amazing, like what are you doing here?
Speaker 2: It was honestly, it was so much fun.
Speaker 1: And I think kind of I've wanted to get to like minor league games before, but like college has always just been a bit of baseball that I've never really kind of put my attention to, just because I'm one. There's just even more than there is of like baseball. It's like so much more to kind of like you dip your toe in. It's even scary than the concept of dipping your toe into like major league baseball.
Speaker 3: But it was such fun to watch like a college game. Great, I'd really love to do it. I mean, I think it's on my baseball book at list to go to Oberha. I mean that's obviously the big Daddy, But yeah, that's a really good tip. And it sounds like I have been to minor league games. I've been to a couple of minor league parks, and it sounds like a similar experience. Like when you're walking around with this accent, people are just like, the hell's this guy doing? Everyone wants to talk to you, don't like Yeah, so strange.
Speaker 1: I walked in and I was like, you've got like a just a ticket like and I was like, well, where can I sit? It's their areas that I can't sit or not sit. And I woke to the security guard to ask you where I could sit, and it goes, well, as long as you don't sit with the opposition fans over there, everything will be okay. So straight away off the security guard.
Speaker 3: That is where I want to sit.
Speaker 1: But yeah, because there's not many people there, you can hear everything. Like you can hear all of the players cheering, what's going on. You could clearly hear when some of the coaches went out and had discussions with the umpires what was going on. Hey, in college baseball, there is umpire reviews. So in D one college baseball, so there was a couple of reviews where like the the umpire has to come out and then basically shout to basically everybody who's watching what happened. He has a Mic, but it doesn't really work that well. So he's just shouting as loud as he possibly can to basically tell everybody what the result of the replay was. And there was a couple of plays overturned and it was like big cheers as like as he was kind of walking up to say what he was saying, some people started like stamping on the ground like it was like a freaking like seeing like Hawkeye in a tennis match. It was just like utterly ridiculous fun. So, yeah, I really do recommend it. There is so many college and there is a lot of D one college teams out there. You'll be surprised basically how easy during the summer it would be to kind of catch a game.
Speaker 4: I'd love to go go catch one. Yeah, similar to John. The only story I was going to add to this is about a month old now. But friend of the show, Michael Claire, I'm sure you guys read his amazing article about Yashida University Siva University, Big Apartment playing Laming college to two teams without the longest losing streaks in college baseball. Went head to ahead and obviously in a double head and ended up splitting, but It's an amazing story all these fans who were going along to see history knowing one of the teams had to win. I think one was a ninety nine game using Street the other was a bit shorter than that. But yeah, that was really fun. Obviously a much lower level than d one, but a really fun story about like like that they take this really seriously. They just happened to be the worst team to ever play, So that was that was a fun story. But it's just they made the atmosphere seemed fun there and it sounds like your experience was. It was also pretty fun cool.
Speaker 1: My second talking point was I was after watching two games live back to back between I watched The Angels versus the Pirates and then I watched the Dodgers versus the Pirates, and I was thinking about like how people viewed baseball. Like in the past, they would have basically only been able to kind of like see games, and their opinions on players would be based on basically what they saw. They might have read some articles and seen other things. But the two games that I watched, the players that the players who were outstanding in those games were not really players who are outstanding, and it really got me thinking, like, have you when you've gone and watched a game, who are the players that if you had no knowledge going into the game, you would have come out basically said this guy is a superstar because for Game one, for me, it was a Neil Cruz and he's a good player, but like, he's not a superstar. In Game two was Andy Parteres, Like I watched Schemes pitch against Yamamoto and nobody in that top one of that Dodger lineup got it hit par Has went three for three, and it was like you were just like, Yeah, this guy's obviously like much better than some of these other guys. They're just hitting pop ups all the time, Like why is he about nine? Like so I wondered, like for you guys, and I would love for if we can will push this out to listeners if they've got their own opinions of their own based on it. I think if I probably asked my sister, she'd probably say they Degorious is one of the best players of all time. From watching the from the London series, like the first time round, I've.
Speaker 4: Got one from the first game I ever saw live, which in San Francisco, it was Giants Mets with my family and I dragged them along to see it. And here's a good remember some guy's name Marlon Bird I think hit a home run and had like four RBI for the Mets, the only home run of the game.
Speaker 3: He was the standout player on that day.
Speaker 4: Obviously like a decent player, but very much a journeyman, especially at that stage of his career. So yeah, that was one where everyone was like, wow, oh by found it, Like wow, that guy's really good, and I was, uh, not really, but yeah, like you said that, that's a beauty of baseball. And it works the other way too, right where you can go Stidger Stadium, hear all about the show here Tani guy watching him go over four with three k's and think like, what were you talking about? Like he was rubbish. That's both, Yeah. That the great and the terrible aspect of it, I suppose is that on any given day, anyone can kind of do anything. So so yeah, I put forward Marlon byrd is my suggestion. But I do think that's, like you say, part of the beauty of watching the games live is you get a perspective on these guys are all really good and actually it takes a whole season to figure out the elite from the average.
Speaker 3: So I've actually got like two or three that sprung to mind right away, and I'll just touch on them all quite quickly. It's like Ian Happ at the London Series just then, he hit like three home runs in his face of two days. So like, yeah, I if you were at that series and that was the first live baseball that you ever saw, you probably still think that Ian Happ is the best player in baseball. He was brilliant that weekend. It was in the middle of a hot streak for him. Then I saw hundre and Reu pitch for the Dodgers against the Giants again in San Francisco in the very last game of a regular season about six years ago. It was that season when he was really good a right, So like he was very good at the time, but he was unhittable, like unhittable. It was just like that was before he got the contract with the Blue Jays. So yeah, if you were a novice baseball fan, you'd be like, yeah, hundred Reeu is the greatest pitch of all time. But my personal favorite one. I've talked about this on the podcast a couple of times. Is I went to the first game where Chris Sale pitched at one hundred miles an hour. So if you weren't coming away thinking Chris Sale is very, very good at baseball from that game, then then then you there was something quite wrong with you. But Chris Sale lost that game one zero, and the guy pitched on the other side who pitched eight shutout innings was Dylan Covey, who owns a MLB e r of over eight.
Speaker 2: So there you go, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: I think like the when I went to San Francisco with Meta, I took a load of people to watch a game for the first time in load load of Brits and watching an acty barn stormer of a game between the Mets and the Giants, and John Petterson hit three home runs and they were all coming out going like Jock, Jock, Jock, just load tomorrow.
Speaker 3: He's gonna go over four with four k's.
Speaker 2: Thaus.
Speaker 1: Also, he was the fielder like front of where we were seeing as well, so like the fans will loving him as he was coming back out, and then obviously like everybody's getting involved. It's just it's just the wonders of like actually watching games live. Really obviously it's a very simple to tell people. Please go go do it. It might make a massive difference. I'm looking forward to seeing, especially what happens to Jed when he goes to Detroit in I think it's only a couple of weeks time now, so to see what his thoughts when he finally comes back, whether it'll be as a verbally say, persuasive in person as he is, or Twitter he's.
Speaker 3: Going to get. It's going to be like, you know, have you buyers in person? Particularly in this little purple patch the grind man's having.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I can kind of understand watching baseball live, Like why for such a long time the sport probably overvalued power and speed, right, because when you're watching a game, those are the two immediately noticeable things. It's like that man just hit a ball a long way, Well, that man's fast, look at him run. Whereas like drawing a walk, having a great eye other things like that. It's kind of boring when you're sat in the ballpark, right, You're not going to go home being like did you see that eight pitch ut back? Or he draw a walk that was amazing whereas you are going to say that guy, you got to second and stole third and then came home on a shallow fly ball.
Speaker 3: That was really cool.
Speaker 4: So I feel like that does feed into our internal biases around baseball, just things that look cool versus like well actually provides value to the team, not to get too nerly with it.
Speaker 2: I think that's perfect.
Speaker 1: My next thing that I noticed, and I didn't know this going in before, and I thought I planned for it, Dodger's parking is an absolute fucking joke. Like I don't think I've come across something more utterly ridiculous in my life. We were like a twenty five minute drive away from the stadium. We planned to leave two hours before the game because we knew that the traffic was going to be bad because it's LA and I don't know if any of you have ever driven in LA, but they are absolute nutters, like some of the most ludicrous driving I've ever seen in my entire life. And we knew the journey was not twenty five minutes, it was going to be like an hour because the rush hour.
Speaker 2: Got there, got to.
Speaker 1: The field actually like forty minutes before the game. But when you get to Dodge a stadium. When you get into like the car park, you then have to kind of go up the hill. It's very very very slowly because there's like five lanes of cars like all trying to gop the hills the oame time, and then when you're in the car park, you get sent on this really long, securitous route before you finally actually park your car. So we literally left to do a twenty five minute journey two hours before the game, and we got into the stadium basically just after first pitch. It was so ridiculous that it's just like I thought it was bad, and I thought I planned for it. No, you need to give it like even more time. It is utterly ridiculous, Like and then finding out from talking to locals to be like, ah, what you should have done is you should have like parked over here and like walked or whatever, and like might being told that like, yeah, you would to just want to walk up the hill. It definitely would have been faster, And it's just like, yeah, you know what, walking up the hill in like twenty plus degree heat or whatever to go to a baseball game while there's cars blowing exhaust in your face, like no, I don't really fancy doing that. I was just like a far more organized place that has something l I know, like a mass transit system that allows you to get to places like easily and available. Hey, La, you might want to do something you have the Olympics. Oh wait, you're just going to put more buses on, aren't you.
Speaker 2: It's just a nightmare.
Speaker 3: Good quality urban planning, mass urban mass transit, good ideas, good innovations. Guys. Look at look at almost every other ever, almost every other bullpark in the country, which is in the middle of the city. They're doing it correctly. Even the Rockies got that right. Yeah, which isn't.
Speaker 4: Sorry, not entirely intentional. But I went to Dodger Sam last year and we did like park and ride, So got a bus in from about I don't know, thirty minutes space and went it by and that actually was really good. I was quite stunneder because we gave like like you did, two.
Speaker 3: And a half hours.
Speaker 4: Three hours before first pitch. We set off because I knew it was going to be a nightmare, and actually it was. It was a breeze in the end, and obviously we left the game a lot after the last pitch. I don't want to try and rush out, so that was probably helped as well. But actually that seemed to work okay, But like you say, just general traffic in LA is a nightmare. And I can imagine like like you say that that worked okay for us because probably because we left so early, But that's not a very efficient way of getting fifty thousand people into a stadium. Yeah, it blows my mind. They don't have a better transition than that, but good luck to them.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful stadium, like utterly, like you get there, you look back up the city.
Speaker 2: It's stunning you sit in the stadium.
Speaker 1: The fact that like when you get into the stadium that it's actually like below you, so you kind of generally come in at like the second tier, so kind of like your first view of the stadium is like you can kind of like see it all absolutely stunning, like beautiful design, all of that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: But like, hey, like.
Speaker 2: It's the modern time. Maybe like a train station nearby or all these sorts of things. But hey, ho, like who am I.
Speaker 1: To tell Americans how to deal with their public trying importation? They just want to make the roads wider and and that's their approach. The final thing I wanted to talk about that I the ballparks is stories I overheard at the ballpark. Like I know I'm a loud talker, and I know that like if I talk, people will hear what I'm saying. But gee, wish at like ball games do you hear some of the most bizarre stuff I've ever heard, just over hearing kind of like four very loud, slightly drunk Americans discussing kind of things in there, sometimes quite personal life going on around them and other ones. I heard some very interesting business propositions like that when we were at the Angels game, seemingly behind us, there was about twenty people who were there for corporate seating. Seemingly their company had some bought some sort of like sponsorship into the Angels, and so they had a bunch of seats that they could take whenever they wanted. And they've spent a very long time talking about the fact that we should get dispense series into MLB stadiums, and how much better it would be wanted if they could like just tooke up and watch a game at the same time, or take some gummies and watch the game at the same time, and I'm perfectly honest, I was very brought around to their idea. By the end of hearing the thirty minute discussion between basically ten like drunk white dudes.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, was it David Lties.
Speaker 1: And these guys seemingly were trying to become like the Amazon of weed. Seemingly that's like what their company was doing or something like that, and I'm just like, this is just this is time magnific, just like hearing this stuff is just like, this is why I love going to the like sporting events just out there, because you would just hear the most like insane stuff.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely incredible. I don't think I don't even get anywhere near that. Definitely not beat it. That's that's brilliant. I did once, when it was at a Red Sox game, sit next to a guy who probably means going about maybe six to seven years I'd say he must have been about maybe ten fifteen years my senior, and he was with two two young, youngish kids who probably didn't want to be there, and they definitely did not want a very long explanation of who Carton Fisk was. When he came on the field. They were already not into it. And after twenty minutes of this guy getting increasingly wrap right, quite, you've got to understand he did.
Speaker 4: He did.
Speaker 3: He was doing the arms and every staying in. I was like, mate, just give up. This girl is six. She doesn't care. She was not alive in nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, like, that's what I heard of it, gors No.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, that's what I heard of the Angels game, and I did not think it could be topped by what I heard at the Dodgers game. All Right, I'm not certain whether this beats it, but I thought it was pretty close. So they ended up being like a group of four guys that were sat next to us, like behind a couple of rows. To start off with, the game at the stadium was not fall even though it was like a sellout, because people had to take a lot of time to get in there, and seemingly their friends had tickets in different areas, but they basically chose to sit next to each other until people with the tickets actually came and then they would go piss off back to their own seats. And hearing some of the discussions between these guys. They were talking, not particularly fondly, of a certain woman that all of them seemed to know, and it was like I couldn't quite work out, like what was going on, whether this was like and I know, like one of their brothers or or like one of their sisters or something like that, because it was a very like familiar kind of like discussion, and towards the end, I pretty certain three of them are ex husbands of like the same woman and they all go to baseball games together now and have effectively bonded therapy that they are the ex husbands of a certain woman.
Speaker 4: I really can't compete with that. I was gonna say. I was sat last year at a Padres game behind a woman that I couldn't confidently described as the world's biggest Dreks and profile fan. And this was a little bit before he had really broken out last year, screaming at him in left field for basically the entire game and only him as the Padres won the game. And I'm now thinking she must be in a bad way given the news that he got last month, never mind the fact that he left the Padres, so that, yeah, maybe not the place to to be.
Speaker 3: She's not having a great time.
Speaker 1: Iss she no, not till so yeah, that is my my dismatch notes on on baseball in on the West Coast.
Speaker 2: Thoroughly worth it, obviously.
Speaker 1: I think most people would know that it is definitely worth to kind of like get out and see those sorts of games. But it's just it's so much fun, and to be honest, like the baseball games in themselves weren't even that entertaining. Schemes dominated, which is just like it was a three nail game. Dodgers didn't really look like doing anything. The Angels game has a bit more interesting. They went three nil down and came back and took the lead in the ninth, and that was like a fairly interesting game. But there was also like I don't know about a tenth of the people in that stadium as there was for the Dodger stadium.
Speaker 2: So it looks like, la, if you've.
Speaker 1: Got good baseball to watch, people choose to watch that instead of watching the bird baseball.
Speaker 3: Weird?
Speaker 2: Yeah, weird?
Speaker 3: Who knew?
Speaker 1: So to finish as we almost always do two good? Too bad? John, do you want to start us off with.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the bad so we can end on goods.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, so, I think it's quite bad that we now have basketball injuries in baseball, by which I'm referring to poor old Tristan Cosslas, who we've already discussed, but also as Waldo Cabrera, both of whom have really quite sickening and horrible injuries to their knees, legs, ankles when base running. I know that this is just a freak coincidence that both of those injuries have happened within a fortnight of one another, and it looks like it's a cluster, and it looks like it's a problem, like it's it's not elbows. But yeah, it's just really horrible. Two fun players doing well in good teams suffering quite seemingly quite similar and season ending injuries, both of which look like potentially been quite limiting on their career. You know. The cost us one to tell attender, and that's notoriously difficult to come back from. The and the Cabrera pictures, I mean, I have not seen the pictures of the actual injury, because rightly, those have not been shown everywhere, but those pictures that have been cradled by the Yankees medical staff were absolutely heartbreaking. So yeah, I don't like and yeah, I mean literally that we're recording this to day after something similar happened to Jason Tatum. Right, this happens in basketball, it doesn't happen in baseball. It probably won't happen again this season, but yeah, those two clustered with Tatum, just maybe be like, oh God, I hope this isn't the start of something that we see seeing the hoops with people's ankles and knees exploding on contacts. Don't want any more of it.
Speaker 4: Something worse about a non contact injury, isn't there where Like just immediately you're like, well, that is probably season ending. And then, like you say, the one last night seemed to be particularly graphic, which yeah, is awful to see at any time, but like you say, when players are rounding the bases, that would you would hope be a particularly safe time for them on the field. And yeah, it mnice to have a couple of those in pretty quick succession.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the cost is one just a total fluke right, just run through the base and his knee called.
Speaker 4: The bag Weirdly, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always see this and kind of obviously we didn't watch it when it happened, but it always takes me back to is it Dave Dravecki who like broke his arm pitching, and you're just like, it's like it just these these are horrible and you don't want to watch them, and you you you feel sympathy for all those players because there's almost literally nothing they could have done to to kind of do this.
Speaker 2: These are those those freaking accidents. Okay, so we're.
Speaker 1: Moving swimply onto Robbers. I managed to put in our call sheet today. I do apologize Ben, not that.
Speaker 3: One didn't change.
Speaker 2: It is one of Rob's bad brought up.
Speaker 3: Brought up. Utah.
Speaker 4: I'm not thinking I should do like a rob impression for my bad and talk about how I don't know my bad is not enough backflips on the bases or something. But my bad, unfortunately, is Jordan Walker of the Cardinals, who is just bad. And it's kind of sad to see because it feels like not very long ago, he was kind of universally a sort of top ten, top twenty prospect in the game, one of the Cardinal's most exciting young talents, and it's basically all gone horribly wrong.
Speaker 3: Since I think he's.
Speaker 4: Basically got worse consistently each year since he got to the Majors, and this year he has been particularly bad. His k rate is through the roof, his barrel rate is down, like he very much looks like someone who kind of has forgotten how to hit. He's been usurped obviously in the lineup by I think it's Victor something Scott who.
Speaker 3: The Cardinal's doing well.
Speaker 4: But I mean, he is no part of it right now, and I feel like it's got to the point where he probably he gets traded in the next couple of months because the value is just completely shot for the Cardinals. I presume he's out of options. Maybe he can be optioned and they can try and figure this out in the miners. But it's just weird to see a player who was so promising for a team that is usually very good at developing young talent just completely fizzle out in the way that he has. So I kind of hope he does get traded and finds a new start with a new team and can figure it out from there. But I remember being very excited about him making his debut and what he could potentially be in the majors, and it just has not worked out for him at all. So yeah, fingers crossed that he can figure out whatever it is is going on, whether it be physical or mental, and get back to sort of the player we thought he might be. He's not the first top prospect to struggle, but yeah, given how he was seemingly going to be sort of a key player for the Cardinals for years to come, this has all gone pretty hardly wrong for him.
Speaker 3: So I have two observations on that. Obviously, I'm sad because Jordan Walker was a lot of fun when he first came up. The first is that he is I think probably the biggest human being I've ever seen in the flash. He is just so big, ludicrous, like this is it when you see athletes up close, which we've had the privilege of doing at the London Series. You don't you take for granted that they are absolutely stacked and some of them that they're like make Tautman just couldn't believe how big he was, But Jordan Morker was something else. He was enormous. The second thing even more asine, and it's just because it like immediately popped into my head as soon as you mentioned it. Have you have either of you seen what Victor Scott's middle name is. You're You're not gonna You're not gonna get it. You're not gonna get it because because it's ridiculous. His middle name is is not Dwayne, like that's an almost normal name. His middle name is a kid, You're not nine d w A N y n E nine hey.
Speaker 1: Maybe like in one of his grandpa's is called Dwine and it's it's he's named after someone.
Speaker 3: But Victor Dwan nine Scott. The second they go want a name only in America Russell?
Speaker 1: Okay to me, I think might have a spicy one here one day. Ceremonial contracts, I absolutely hate them, Like, if you wanted to make this person like end on your team, you should have signed them to a proper contract. You should have forced them onto your twenty five man roster and actually be forced to kind of put somebody else back down if you want to kind of sign someone and claim that they ended their career on your team. This stuff with Eva Longoria being like, oh, he's ended his career as a Ray No, he didn't, bollocks, and so like there will be nobody at any point in the future who will remember that he had this ceremonial thing that allowed him to be a Ray in his career. His Baseball reference page, his Fangrafts page will see he ended his career with somebody else. This is just utter lunacy for the sake of something when you, if you really cared, you could have signed him to a contract.
Speaker 3: What I'm taking away from this is Russell hates the late right Oliday solom hearing. All right, PIERROI big tragic accident, but fuck it, you signed that one day contract with the Blue Jays and I don't care anymore.
Speaker 4: This is an amazing take. I hate it, but it's an amazing take. Ross I would have accepted if you said they've gone too far. I feel like some play to sign one day contracts. I'm like, eve An't even that much of a legend for that team. Do you really need to go back there just to sign a one day contract. I do feel like Evan Longoria reaches the threshold of one team legend to be able to do this for the Rais. But no, if you're going to go all in on the take, I'm glad you went all in on a take. You've got a bet of a player which says more about the rais than anything.
Speaker 2: But you've got to do a leacher roll.
Speaker 1: You've got to resign, you've got to go back out, you've got to be awful in front of your home crowd, and then when you actually were nowhere near good enough to be playing baseball at that time, you've got to go whole hog if you want to still basically be finish your career as another as a player on a certain team.
Speaker 3: Where's the line as well? Like why Evan Longoria? Why not like Carl Crawford, Why not Ben Zobrist or David Price? Why this guy? I agree all of that, all right, whatever, don't care, and I agree with you. I'm quite surprised, even though you hate Roy Halladay.
Speaker 2: Alright, all right, John takers to the good world of baseball.
Speaker 5: Absolute schemes, as darn our friend, the Mets fan from from up in the northeast of England would probably have it.
Speaker 3: Paul Skeans is pitching in the World Baseball Classic, injury and roster scheduling permitting, of course, just great in it, you know, Iron Judge and Paul Skeans. That's not going to be a bad roster, is it. I think it's I think we probably had the same conversation when Judge announced that he was playing the WBC just brilliant for the tournament. Absolutely what you want to see. You want to see a US team taking it as seriously as as the Dominican team in the Puerto Rican team and the Venezuelan team and the Japanese team in the Korean team. Brilliant. I'm so so stoked. Yeah, absolute schemes, Yes, thank you. I love it.
Speaker 1: So I think we need to get our guess is in as early as possible of which random British player is going to take Paul Skeins deep. And I know people have already joked Harry Ford in our in our in our chat group, but I think that's that's not niche enough. We need to be working out like who who else is? It's going to be like, is make Coperniac going to finally have his like WBC kind of like success or first w B s.
Speaker 3: A hit is going to be a dong off Paul Skins, Boye.
Speaker 1: Trase Thompson coming back, obviously Boston Red SOXS legend now, but ye, it's.
Speaker 3: Going to be someone we don't even know qualify Brad Marcelino is currently like got pinned in a corner of some double A clubhouse somewhere in the Midwest. Just do it, think about taking full schemes deep. You could be the next just In Wiley.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All we know is that like somehow Lian Carroll's worked out that Roman Anthony has some sort of like British connection as well or something like that.
Speaker 3: I mean that guy, Roman Anthony, he's playing for the Popes Tea. That fella, come on all time.
Speaker 2: Great, Ben, give us another, give us another. Good.
Speaker 4: I know we just discussed injuries in the bad section, but I'm gonna mention some players who are actually coming back from injury soon Touchwood, which I think is a good We've got some high profile guys who are getting there. I think today Ronald A Kunya Junior is starting his rehab assignment and we obviously haven't seen him play in over a calendar year now, so it's great that he's getting back towards the level where he can contribute for the Brads, and that'll be a big shot in the arm for them. I think Brandon Woodruff also has been out for over a season over a year now, possibly hasn't pitched its twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: He I think is coming back to the majors on.
Speaker 4: Friday for the Brewers, which is great. George Kirby a couple more weeks, but oh he did no brilliant while that ruins that George Kirby nearing his return unless he's also had a set back. He probably has, hasn't he Why did I make this so good? And Clayton Kershaw, he is also nearing a turn. He made a sick play in the miners and as rehab a sign and if you saw us. If not, I'm sure we can get out on the socials. But it was like a proper one of the best players you'll see a picture make from like thirty nine year old half broken Clayton Kershaw, which rules. So I'm excited to see him back on the mound if indeed he does make it back. So yeah, touch wood Woodruff does make a full recovery. But yeah, a few guys who at least are nearing their return after long absences.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: It's also it's always also good to see that I'll quickly jump onto a player which I think was slighted by the top ten last week.
Speaker 2: Pete Crew Armstrong.
Speaker 1: How can you not be telling me that this guy is not one of the top ten players in baseball. The boy can hit, the boy can steal. The boy is probably the best defensive center field that we've seen in years. This is like the second coming of Ken Griffy Junior. Okay, Like, how can you not like love pikro Armstrong, Like honestly, like I hate the on pay stats as a thing to say what it is, but he's on pace for fifty stale and bases thirty nine home runs and potentially have like a kind of like defensive and offensive runs where both of them are like thirty plus, which is things that kind of like only the likes of like Kenny Lofton and Ken Griffy Junr Have done.
Speaker 2: So he is playing like what the.
Speaker 1: Peak of Hall of famers, and it's just amazing to see. Like there's been I think in all of MLB, there's been nineteen catches which they class as like a five star catch. So far this year, Peter Armstrong has four of those nineteen. Like it's utterly unbelievable what he's doing and people should be dropping what they're watching to go watch pc A play because it is just unbelievable right now, and we don't know how long it will lasts, so let's just enjoy it while it's bloody amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Fun.
Speaker 3: He's also just like really weird well and I love that, Like I can't I can't find it now. But there was a video that MLB put out a couple of weeks ago about the type of stuff that he's into and here's a different cat, and I love that. I love when you have people who just are unapologetically themselves in sports. You know, it's not just the blue hair, and it's not just the sort of the albino look and the and the over the top histrionics on the field. He's a either a bit like jazz Chisholm Right, He's a real individual and I love that. Yeah, he's he's great. Got a lot of time for him. Yeaholm.
Speaker 2: He rules.
Speaker 1: After we've gone for some great stuff, John brings down again, what's awful off?
Speaker 3: Christ's like Rich Hill's back?
Speaker 2: The Dick Mountain has written why.
Speaker 3: I Mean, we've been doing this podcast for eight years and I feel like this has been a segment in every single one of them. Why is Rich hillback? He's forty five years old. Just give the man a rest for goodness sake, talking about one day contracts. His Sayonara absolutely should have been pitching in the premiere twelve. I loved that for a sort of a tale of adversity. Here is the chapeau at the end of a brilliant career in the face of adversity, where you reinvented yourself and you were a wonderful story. But he just risks becoming an absolute like the butt of a joke, Like all of that goodwill that there was for him when he came back for the Red Sox and he had that season with Oakland and that Dodge's contract and he cried at the press conference with his little boy there. Now he's just like bloody clown car Foddiff for which a team will take him in like June because they need a ninth picture. So it's the It's it's the Royals. This time. He's going to have two starts with the Royals. He's going to be absolutely awful.
Speaker 5: Rich I'm begging you, man, stop, but John, don't you do it anymore.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be the fourteenth team, John, Like this could be like we could get the Rich Hill like heel turn.
Speaker 2: Come on, think about it from the sena perspective.
Speaker 3: He's got to get the record, man, he's gonna get the look Edwin Jackson deserves that. That's Edwin Jackson's record. Rich Hill's got his own story. The Rich Hill story is he was absolutely hopeless until he was thirty six. He shouldn't be. He's the new Edwin Jackson. Don't do it, Rich.
Speaker 4: He's got five more good years in HM. I'm not worried about rich Hill. If Jamie moyleer could pitture fifty, why can't Rich Hill?
Speaker 3: So he just started. Jamie Moyer couldn't pitch at fifty.
Speaker 4: Ben Richell can't pitch a forty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mothers can't picture thirty.
Speaker 3: But okay, Chill was a little bit better than you, Russell. I will say that much outrageous.
Speaker 1: John My probably like eleven Era and single A British Baseball will have words with that.
Speaker 2: Ben give us another bad second bag.
Speaker 4: Whether I have, oh I had, I don't know if you guys saw this. There was a perfect game in the minor leagues. I don't know if you saw how this happened. But that's why it's in my bad the way it happened. First of all, it was in a doubleheader, a double A, and it was a seven inn game, So was it really a perfect game?
Speaker 3: Now? Probably not?
Speaker 4: Also the picture Jonah Toong, I think he's the Mets number six prospect.
Speaker 3: He pitched six and two.
Speaker 4: Thirds perfect innings and was then pulled for the final out.
Speaker 3: Are you winding me up? What are we doing here?
Speaker 4: If we're gonna call it a perfect game, which again I'll take the argument that maybe it isn't, then at least let him finish the seven innings. Why has he taken out of this six and two thirds but the final out throwing a perfecto. That's the kind of thing like, even if it's a double A, even if it's seven innings, that's the kind of thing you can tell your grandkids about. I pitched a perfect game. There it is, there's the box score.
Speaker 2: I did it.
Speaker 3: Now. He can't really say that.
Speaker 4: He can say I pitched six and two thirds innings and then my mate Josh came in and got the final out and we got a perfect game together. I think that sucks, and I get it. He's a prospect. There are bigger things than the double A game against the Binghampton Rumble Ponies. But a perfect game is the kind of thing where like, pitch can't be damn to let this man finish it. He was at ninety nine pitches. He wasn't like one hundred and forty. He's at ninety nine. Should have been given a chance to finish it off. That's a bad but you know he congrats Joonah. Great pitch and formance. I guess also he pitches a bit like lyns Kim, so you're looking forward to seeing him in the majors. Well, ninety nine of those that he definitely needed. Pull Ben, Now that.
Speaker 3: You've given me that tid, I'm not letting you get away with it. Think of a stress on that guy's tex.
Speaker 4: What, Yeah, it does not look healthy.
Speaker 1: Was it Michaels who got a seven inning no hitter? Somebody got a seven inning no hitter when we had the in the major leagues during the COVID season. I can't remember who it was now, and they said it didn't count, so assuming yeah.
Speaker 3: But on the on the other hand, friend of the podcast rich To easily got a nine inning perfect game for the lot for the cinrset Patriots against the Long Island Ducks in the Atlantic League, and his team got walked off in extras in the tenth and he claims he pitched a perfect game, so you know, come see he comes out, it's all mine. Inning's perfect game. Mate. Whatever happened after that.
Speaker 1: Don't get amazing. So I will go through my last bad. I got the chance of what a lot of baseball when I was in California on TV as well, just because surprisingly when you're in California there are games that like start at sometimes at like ten o'clock in the morning, so you can watch like two or three games in a day and still do other things with your life. So I saw a couple of Yankees games, and I then had to do some research afterwards. But Jason Domingez is an awful field. Like some of the balls that he's let drop in front of him, I thought was some of like the laziest plays that like I've seen in like in a long time, and then I went to look at them, and it's like he has like the exact opposite PCA has like zero star catches that he's not got ninety nine per plays where he's taken like there's the wrong route or not running hard on it, and it's just bounced in front of him. And I remember all of the Yankees fans being like, it doesn't matter that we've got rid of Soto, like his defense was bad, Well, you got exactly the same. On the other hand, now, obviously he's a twenty two year old player or whatever he is, like in his only second major league season and has the chance to improve. But it doesn't look good when this was supposedly like at some point the best prospect in baseball, the probably most talked about prospect in baseball, and he might not have a defensive position at the age of twenty two, Like how long can you actually do h in a career?
Speaker 4: He's also not that good a hitter, an hotel, a free home a game, but like he's on the Jordan Walker path of this might flame out quite quickly.
Speaker 3: I hope it doesn't.
Speaker 4: He's a very exciting player, but yeah, you're given the hype he had this this has the downside of going wrong very quickly.
Speaker 3: It's Yankees prospects, isn't it. This always happens with Yankees prospects like Cabrera, bless him, not having the best week, but Cabrera Volpi I means be better this season. The mingez they're never as good as everyone says they're going to be. I mean, this is a particularly egregious example, but Yankees prospects just always all right.
Speaker 1: So let's end on some goods. John, give us your last good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. See, this is straight off the bat. This might sound like I'm being a little bit edgy and actually that I'm trying to make a bad into a good, but I think this is, in my opinion, just unequivocally good. It's the Detroit Tigers fans booing Alex Bregman when he came up for his first at bat in ca America Park as a Boston Red Sox. You will all recall famous Detroit Tiger Alex Bregman for his shenanigans as a multiple World Series winner with the Houston Astros. Yeah, I mean, if you were, if you were asleeper the off season, Bregman did get very close to signing for the Tigers, and yeah, and the Red Sox piped them at the last minute because he was basically holding out to join the Red Sox all along and very very nearly joined the joined the Tigers and then literally I think it was in the space of about five minutes Jedge's mind and came to Boston. I love this level of pettiness. I absolutely love it. This is probably because I'm a big fan of professional wrestling, but this sort of heel heat for baseball players. If you go away and watch the clip, it's absolutely tonic. Like it's it's much much heavier than you know John Cena or gunther A getting or seth rollins in the WWE. Right now, there's a brilliant, brilliant message on Blue Sky and Twitter from Jason Beck, who covers the Tigers that you could stomp on a Detroit style pizza, downs a coney dog in ketchup, and spit a can of Werner's while wearing an Ohio State National championship t shirt and not get booed atk America Park like Alex Breckman just did. Amazing. Just more of this absolutely churlish pettiness.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 3: He's done basically nothing wrong to the Detroit Tigers. He's taken a better contract to a team that he thinks has got more chance to win. He's turned out at this point of the season to be entirely wrong, and they are absolutely right to harag him for it. Yes, please love it.
Speaker 2: We'll wait for the point.
Speaker 1: That's the point at the end of the season where it becomes whether like them booing him becomes a freezing cold takers, the Red Sox will win the World Series, but it's gonna go well.
Speaker 3: I should point out that that was in a in a game that the Red Sox absolutely got absolutely drum rolled because Tanner Hack was awful, so that made it even better.
Speaker 2: To be fair, was an early list for my bad.
Speaker 1: But I think enough's been discussed about Tannahu in other places that I don't think.
Speaker 3: He was rich. Rich Hill saved him rich. At least she did that.
Speaker 4: Ben Tiger's rundf Friendshi was jumping about ten runs every day. At the moment, they're having a great time of it, And yeah, I agree, I love this. It's a proper pantomime stuff doing him. Imagine trying to explain someone with no context why they're doing him. Oh well, he almost signed there but then didn't, and now they really hate him for it. Perfect. The best thing about baseball is these kind of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not seeing the Tani like that? Are we what have you got for us?
Speaker 4: My final good is Charmer Simpson of the Tampa Bay Rays. I'm sure you guys have seen. Made his debut a couple of weeks back. Now is immediately basically the fastest player in the sport and can basically do nothing else apart from run seemingly, which rules. Congratulations, Billy Hamilton, you're back. This is great. I mean I'm doing a bit of a disservice. He is making some contact with a ball. He's not hitting it very hard, but he's getting single, he's getting on base, and he's causing absolute havoc on once he gets there. He turned an extremely regulation single into a double the other day. He's already wracked up I think seven or eight steals. Like he is a genuine menace at any time. He's running, and he gets to run a lot, and that's awesome. So yeah, look, I don't think he's going to be a Pete row Armstrong level game changer, but I think he's fast enough and got enough contact skills where he will be a pretty good player for the Rais and maybe they can do some developmental magic and turn him into a better hitter. But there's no denying He is absolutely electric to watch. It's kind of a highlighted night with him right now. So excited to see how this plays out, if he can sort of find his feet against major league pitching and turn this into, you know, more than just a speedy guy who's a bit the gimmick and become a real sort of difference make at the major league level. But he's very, very fun to watch.
Speaker 1: That's that's awesome. I think I did see that his is his WRC plus and single figures though irrelevant.
Speaker 6: The man's fast, all right, and we'll end with me on our final good do either of you two know who Ayami Sato is?
Speaker 3: I do not.
Speaker 1: Aamisato is a Japanese female baseball player, and she became the first woman to play in Canadian professional baseball over the weekend. So she pitched two shutout innings for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Not the one that you actually could think of, but somebody who has exactly the same name in come on, yep. It was in the intercounty baseball leagues in Canada. Like the first picture she threw was was basically a soft grounder. Back to her, she wasn't the soft one, but she basically made a play and threw straight out to first to get the out immediately to rapture as applause of all the fans who were there watching. It's just a Yamisoto is has effectively been the best female pitcher in Japan for probably ten years.
Speaker 2: She's now in a mid thirties.
Speaker 1: She's responsible for Japanese the Japanese women's team winning like the equivalent of the World Baseball Classic multiple times in history in the last kind of like decade, and so seeing these sorts of things continue to break ground, we saw like it was seeing it like getting D one D two pictures kind of like happening with that. There is kind of like this growth of women in baseball and not just being like, hey, you know what, women play softball. Hey, there are some amazing women who do play softball, but it's awesome to see that, like we're continuing to break ground for women's baseball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that great story, hard degree.
Speaker 3: I know you did want to end on a really nice note, but I've just made the mistake of looking at a notification of my and I'm afraid we're going to have to have three bad because Pete I don't know if you've seen it. Pete Rose has been reinstated and it's now re eligible for the Hall of Fame, and it just sucks on every single level, on a on a on the level that he broke the cardinal rule of baseball that he is a miserable was a miserable, terrible human being who abused women and committed crimes at a federal level and at the political level, which you know, I won't go into in greater detail, but if you've been following, you know why this has happened and it sucks. Sorry, Ayami Sarte, I really want to cheer you, but I felt like I just had to mention that. So yeah, Russell's reaction is just looks disconsolately, it's trestfalling.
Speaker 1: It's just like we get why, we get that obviously where Baseball's position sadly is in the political spectrum.
Speaker 2: But it's just like it's the.
Speaker 1: Same of just posthumously trying to wipe over some of like the terrible things that somebody did, and it's just like, well to come out with I'm just prickly reading here that just regarding the phrase permanent and in eligibility to kind of even then just kind of come up with like a default way of changing what that means, not kind of like even like un like banning the person, just kind of saying, you know what, it just depends over like I'm just kind of like finagling the little rules around it to kind of be that, Like I'm not even gonna be go out there and with my pot my bad take and own it. I'm gonna come up with some kind of technicality to kind of get what we all know the President of the United States wants.
Speaker 3: So it sucks, and Pete Rose sucks. He is one of the all time historic worst people that will never not be the case, whether he's a Hall of Fame or not. He's a Hall of Fame asshole as we'd call it over here in the UK. And yeah, this doesn't change it, So what a sad way. Sorry, I had to say it because I'd literally just read it and it was in my head.
Speaker 1: Anything about it, John, If I had waffled a little bit less, we may have been able to get through this podcast where without doing that and had to given ourselves a whole week before it became around towards recording a podcast again and now we.
Speaker 3: Don't ever have to mention him for the rest of the season. It's done.
Speaker 2: Now, it's done.
Speaker 1: I always thank you to John and Ben for joining me today. Thank you all for listening or watching on YouTube. As always, we have great articles going out on the site. Please do go check that out at bout flipsandds dot com. Please do go to We are a YouTube channel. We are putting out original content.
Speaker 2: There is a The.
Speaker 1: First episode of The Baseball Beginner's Guide to Baseball Statistics is out there. There will be a second episode hopefully coming in the next week or two. And now I'm back from my holidays, so do get out there. We are trying to do more with baseball this year, and hopefully it'll all be in a much lighter position than how we ended this podcast. John, Ben, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Dear, sorry about that.