Speaker 1: They've had an awakening.
Speaker 2: And I don't care the sincerity of it. I don't care whether or not.
Speaker 3: But they've had a public awakening to the idea that Donald Trump is a singular threat to this country. And so I'll sit down and talk to anybody who's come to that conclusion. If you've had the courage to come out of the cult that you helped create, and I can sit down and talk to.
Speaker 2: You about.
Speaker 3: What we have that more that connects us and divides us and finds some common ground.
Speaker 1: God bless. So be it, man. Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well-trained, well-equipped, and battle-hardened.
Speaker 4: There is not a liberal America and a conservative America.
Speaker 1: There is the United States of America. Good night, and good luck. Hey folks, it's Rick Wilson. Welcome back to the Lincoln Project Podcast. We're delighted to have you with us today, and even more delighted to bring you a very special guest. It's Hunter Biden. Hunter Biden has become America's spirit animal. He has become a guy who is talking... to folks across the political spectrum in a way that is blunt and crisp and not political. And people are really responding to it at a really fundamental level. So, Hunter, you have been out there talking to folks and going around the country, talking to people on the left and the right and the center, in the professional political world and outside of it. And what is it you think has been the reason why You've become such a voice for so many people right now.
Speaker 3: I'm honored that you would even think that, Rick. I appreciate it very much, for real. Coming from you, that means.
Speaker 1: A great deal.
Speaker 3: I think that more than anything is that I think people will fundamentally understand, but the talking heads on cable news don't understand is that I really truly believe that we're not nearly as divided as we are being told we are.
Speaker 2: I think that.
Speaker 3: My experience that played out on the cover of the New York Post for a seven-year period of time and every tabloid and every mainstream media is something that once I decided that I was going to speak and speak frankly about it, speak frankly about my addictions, speak frankly about my recovery and my relationship with my family, who I adore and love, that they find much more connection in that than they, than any of the, um, uh, the things that they're told to believe, uh, uh, separates me from them. And, um, and so in that sense, I also think that, um, people are just sick of the bullshit.
Speaker 1: They just are.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know, people cut, you know, whether it's politicians or cable news talking heads or political analysts that come out and tell everybody what they're supposed to believe about each.
Speaker 2: Other without any real evidence or any way of showing us how we are more alike than not.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if that answers it because I'm not quite sure yet what it all means. All I know is that I get an opportunity to debate people with politics so that they can hear my message as it relates to recovery, which 50 million Americans face every day.
Speaker 1: A friend of mine who's on her 23rd year of recovery said to me one time, it's a process, not a thing. That's right. That's right. And so I love that you've made this. In some ways, they caricatured you for years. They ignored the recovery part and the hard work of that. And it was, oh, here's these pictures from whatever, laptop and all that, all the garbage, right? In some ways, you being honest about it for people, I think for people who are working through recovery and working through challenges like that, you've owned it all. And you've said, yeah, that was the world I was in. That was the world I've gotten through hard work out of. And you owned it and it stopped having a lot more power in the world than it would have if you'd been trying to deny it, trying to hide it. That seems like the reflex in American politics now is like, hide everything, cover everything up, don't talk about anything, be dishonest at every level. And you've walked out there with it and said, here I am, and you've owned it. I think it's a great story for people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of the things I've been saying, which I think is absolutely true, I'd love to get your take on it, is that I think Donald Trump has done something that a lot more than something. He has infected politics in so many different ways. But one of the ways in which he did is we've all in some way confused audacity with authenticity. We've confused the idea that someone can come out and stand in front of you and say that they're six foot three and they weigh 225 pounds.
Speaker 1: When we know that if he, if he's six feet.
Speaker 3: On a good day and he's much closer to 285, I think that more than anything is that, um, uh, in this moment in time, particularly with people that are kind of in.
Speaker 2: The draft age, 18 to 35.
Speaker 3: Year olds is that they can, they can sniff, um, uh, BS from a mile away. And, um, and I, and I, and I think that that is not, um, uh, confined to any particular political belief.
Speaker 2: I think that it's across the board.
Speaker 3: And he is so kind of infected at that and everything else that I think when someone comes out and is upfront about all of the things that are true about them that they can't deny, it's not like I came to this out of some courage on my part. It was It was I said that everybody is that I'm in a better place than I've ever been because of what I went through.
Speaker 2: But I wouldn't recommend what I went.
Speaker 1: Through to anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And so anyway, I just think that that people are.
Speaker 3: Willing to give you the space and and listen if you are sincere about your convictions. And just authentic about it. And, you know, and that's not something you can fake.
Speaker 1: No, I think that's exactly right. So, you know, I was thinking about this interview last night and I was thinking about your dad. And I realized in some fundamental way the difference between your dad and this administration now, the choice that we unfortunately made as a country to send Trump back to office, it's not just policy. It is about compassion and human connection. And your dad is famous, and you seem to have that same gift, I think. They're not just like placeholders for you, and they certainly weren't for your dad, who just loved people. When he was in office and when he was a candidate, when he was in the Senate, I always noticed that about him, even when I was a Republican. And I had a lot of Republican clients and friends and senators, and they would always tell me like, I love that fucking guy. I fucking love Joe Biden because he's just like, he cares about you. He's like, he's a no shit person. Is that part of what you're doing here is trying to get that message. Like we've got to connect better. We've got to, we've got to reach to other people better. Cause you're, you're talking to everybody. You're talking to, you know, from Candace Owen and Tucker to, you know, me to people on the left, right center, it's all over. Is that part of this mission is to get that sense of, of, of that, compassion and connection back? A hundred percent.
Speaker 3: We have been, uh, told that we are, uh, uh, not that, that, that we have this incredible divide in this country.
Speaker 1: I'd love to get your take on this. Um, because from, uh, I, I think that the, that you guys over at.
Speaker 3: Lincoln project are spot on almost everything. Um, like one of the things is that as a democratic party, this idea that we're trying to, uh, to categorize our candidates in ways that.
Speaker 2: Eliminates them from the mainstream.
Speaker 3: Or, you know, I hear some people saying they're going to when when they get to Congress, we're going to kick them out of the party and things like that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, well, what are you talking about? I think one thing that all Americans have come to understand is we're in the middle of a real privacy crisis. Search engines are on the web, and more especially on the dark web, can find the things about you that you don't need other people to know. There is more information out there, especially through these gigantic networks of data brokers than there ever has been before. You've got people that are running for years, running online frauds and scams and identity theft rings, and they were very effective. And now they've been supercharged with AI. Criminals have learned how to weaponize that data It fuels these AI-powered scams. It fuels the impersonation, the fraud, identity theft. One of the things that I experienced in my life is that people were able to go online and find out things, details about my life, about our family, our address. I'm just glad that was happening before the rise of AI. They got enough information to try to get access to my bank accounts, to my credit cards. At some point, somebody was trying to get the title on my house. All these things are powered by data brokers and cybercriminals online. So, Incogni is a vital role. They go after these data broker sites who have your home address, your phone number, all your email accounts. These data broker sites, what they really are is a catalog of victims. They're a catalog for scammers to go after victims. That's why we found Incogni so valuable, even before they were a sponsor of this show. Once we started using Incogni, it got a lot harder for people to understand where we were. a lot harder for them to target us, a lot harder for them to go after us at home. You know, we have the unlimited plan with Incogni and it has a lot of things in it. It gives you a risk assessment. So you know where you stand every month. The risk assessment lets you know how much is out there. It lets you know how exposed you are. They have an exposure scanner as well that Incogni has the ability to go out and find all your personal information and they sort of make you a dashboard. They consolidate it for you. And then they build a plan of action to remove it. The removal engine that they use, It automates requests to hundreds and hundreds of these data broker sites. The removals stick. If they don't, they come back at it again. Incogni is as tireless as the scammers are. And that's why we really value their service. They can't harm you if they can't find you. So use the code LINKEDPROJECT in the link below and get 60% off an annual plan. It's incogni.com slash linkedproject. Today's video is sponsored by Incogni.
Speaker 3: And everything that I do in terms of the politics is to say is that I will sit down with anyone who's come to the same conclusion that I have come to, that 75% of American people have come to about Donald Trump. I think that he is the singular existential threat that is facing our country right now. I know that people say that he's just a symptom of the disease, but I don't fully believe that.
Speaker 2: I think that he is the catalyst for so much of this. It is a pandemic.
Speaker 1: A hundred percent, Hunter. I mean, there is a lot about Trump that emerged from a, you know, a lot of shitty things that happened in our country from, from the addiction to Fox and Facebook and all that stuff to the Republican parties drift towards like authoritarianism and all that. But he has a unique set of, he is like a super villain in making people into their worst self where, and I, the first time I ever picked up on this, I was in a focus group in 2016 and I, Heard this guy who was pissed off about the world. He had been an Obama voter twice, and he was so pissed off about his auto plant closing. And he was like, you know, fuck this and fuck that. He goes, you know what? If Trump says I can say the N-word now, and he did not say the N-word, he used the full hard G word, then I'm going to do it. And he felt like he was given some sort of superpower to be a dick. And Trump makes people feel like they can steal. and abuse people and mock people who are sick or poor or immigrants. And it is a pandemic. It is an evil that I don't think our country was really ready for because social media made it a billion times stronger than it would have been. Because normally in life, if somebody said that, you know, they were your neighbor, you'd be like, shut the fuck up, Bob.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: But, but, but on social media, it's like, yeah, go ahead. Maga man, seven, two, four, nine, two. You tell them. I just, I feel like he really unleashed some shittiness in our culture and our, and our national spirit that, that, that I, I, I still even 10 years into this. Don't know how to fix it. Honest answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's my honest answer too, is I don't know how to fix it.
Speaker 3: Other than by this is that if we don't look, How long did I hear the mainstream press and everybody at the New York Times editorial board and, you know, or in hindsight, 20, 20, 20 hindsight talk about how Kamala Harris screwed up because she didn't talk to Joe Rogan or any of the people in the in the sphere, the bro sphere, whatever they call it.
Speaker 2: And, you know, and OK, so now I go out and I talk to these people.
Speaker 3: And the reason that I talk to them is the singular reason of the ones that I've talked to so far is this.
Speaker 1: Is that they have come, they've had an awakening.
Speaker 3: And I don't care the sincerity of it. I don't care whether or not, but they've had a public awakening to the idea that Donald Trump is a singular threat to this country. And so I'll sit down and talk to anybody who's come to that conclusion. If you've had the courage to come out of the cult that you helped create, and I can sit down and talk to.
Speaker 2: You about.
Speaker 3: What we have that more that connects us than divides us and find some common ground.
Speaker 2: God bless.
Speaker 1: So be it, man.
Speaker 3: And like everybody else out there that says, oh, you know, I mean, I was listening to the Pod Save America guys the other day and they were like, you know, oh, my God, I can't believe Hunter did this.
Speaker 1: Hunter Biden media tour on all of the various right wing hosts and all the different places he's going.
Speaker 2: What are you doing, man? And I'm like, what? You are so irrelevant.
Speaker 3: You're so incredibly relevant and out of touch with everyday Americans who do not give a shit about the things that you're telling us that we need to give a shit about. You're sitting here talking about whether or not the chairman of the Democratic Party is worthy of the job and he needs to get fired and he didn't do an after-action report that was good.
Speaker 2: People don't give a shit, man.
Speaker 1: Nobody cares. They don't care about party.
Speaker 3: Nobody sits around. I mean, I tell everybody, you want to talk about the Democratic Party? I believe what Will Rogers said. He's not a member of any organized party. He's a Democrat. And by the way, you know this better than anybody. That has never changed. And so we sit here and they pontificate and hand-ring over. For instance, let me give you one instance in which I think where we find that we just do ourselves.
Speaker 2: And who are ourselves?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But we do ourselves such an incredible disservice.
Speaker 1: Dr. Abdul Al-Sayed is literally..
Speaker 2: If you took out the racist.
Speaker 3: Component of his last name that people attached to it, okay?
Speaker 2: He is literally a model candidate. He is a Rhodes Scholar. He is an M.D. He is a epidemiologist.
Speaker 3: He is, by the way, he's like a bodybuilder and was captain of like every single sports team in Michigan.
Speaker 1: Born and bred Michigan. He rebuilt the health department after the politicians wore it down. Got rid of millions of dollars of medical debt.
Speaker 2: Got thousands of blessed kids, including me. Abdul has the guts to take all of them on and represent the working class.
Speaker 4: He's a doctor.
Speaker 1: He is exactly that.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, these guys like go around now and they like, Fred, like, oh my God.
Speaker 1: We, yeah, it's like, it's insane.
Speaker 3: And we feed into this inside the party, which is nothing new, but it's on steroids now.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just get so sick of it. That's one of the Republican Party's superpowers is they don't fucking care. It could be Max Miller in Ohio who beats his wife and they're like, nope, he's our guy. We're sticking with him. He's a Republican. And the Democrats do a lot more purity checking. And they also do a lot more, they also do a lot more like they overthink everything. It's like, what if this guy doesn't like this thing that Abdul said about this issue? And then they always like, they can look at one tiny sliver of data and go, this is the absolute fact. And it's rarely the absolute fact. He is, and look, I don't have to agree with the guy on everything he says. But you got to acknowledge he's got that gift in politics. You've seen this up close. Some people have the gift. Some people have a skill. It's like God love Hillary Clinton, but she never had that gift in 2016. She just didn't have it. That's exactly right. Barack Obama had it. Your dad had it. George Bush, W. Bush had that skill connected. You sat down with somebody, you walked out of the room with George W.
Speaker 3: Bush.
Speaker 1: You're like, I fucking love that guy. He's nice as could be. The purity checking will end up in a place where nobody's ever acceptable. Because if anybody gets a veto and anybody in the room gets a black ball, then nobody's ever going to run. You're always going to get the worst possible candidate, the mushiest, boringest, like, milquetoast candidates. And you've got to have good candidates in this world. You look at Tallarico. The guy's a good candidate. He's got the skill.
Speaker 5: We have an affordability crisis because we have a corruption crisis. We don't have a government of, by, and for the people. Things would be different if we did. We have a government of, by, and for the billionaires. The system is working exactly as it was intended to work.
Speaker 1: You look at Ossoff, he's got the skill.
Speaker 4: And while the sailors on the Lincoln fight his war, while he fruitlessly drains our munitions and oil reserves, the president sleeps through his meetings. He golfs and trades stocks. See, he doesn't want to do the job. He wants to build his ballroom and travel with Natalie on their apparently defenseless flying palace gifted by.
Speaker 1: The Emir of Qatar.
Speaker 3: That is exactly right, Rick, and that's what I say. I'm a Tallarico Democrat. I'm a, and I, you know who else I am? I'm a Zoran Mondani Democrat.
Speaker 1: I hate him. Listen, the guy's got 69% approval in New York City. You know, anybody else, anybody else would kill for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And you know why? It's because he made some promises and he's kept them.
Speaker 3: He's shown that there is competence to his conviction, to the practical politics of making.
Speaker 2: The crime rate in New York is an all-time low.
Speaker 3: They balanced the budget for the first time in, I don't know, since Mike Bloomberg in you know, 15, 16 years in a nine-month period of time. He said that he was going to open up co-op grocery stores. He's opening up five of them.
Speaker 1: He said he was.
Speaker 2: Going to do something about rent.
Speaker 1: He was going to do something about rent. And meanwhile, the Democratic.
Speaker 3: Party or whatever consists of the Democratic Party, which is a lot of people that is self-appointed talking heads for the Democratic Party, Go out there and they go, oh, my God, he's a socialist.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, we're never going to be able to run with that.
Speaker 3: And, you know, this is not going to work in rural America. You know what works in rural America, from my estimation, is tell people you're going to do something about the fact that they can't get health care and they're going bankrupt because mom just got cancer.
Speaker 1: That's what's going to work. And that's the thing that they're talking about. 100% right. When your dad said to Obama at the passage of the Obamacare, the Affordable Care Act, when he said this is a big fucking deal, he was correct.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States of America, Barack Obama.
Speaker 1: Even though I was a Republican at that point, we fought hard against it. But I will tell you, I went in to brief a pair of very wealthy brothers, whose names will be off the table because I have an NDA still. But you guys can figure out who it was. And they were like, how do we kill this? How do we kill this? And I was like, you can't kill this. We focus grouped it. We polled it. We tested it with Republicans. And you know what? The minute one of them runs into a preexisting condition or a child who can't get coverage at the age of 23 or any of the other things that it helped reduce health care costs on, you will lose this fight forever. And they did lose it forever until Trump this year, just out of spite, just out of shittiness, decided they were going to cut the ACA subsidies to make Elon Musk get a tax cut. And you're at a hundred percent that healthcare in the Midwest and in the South, there are more people on Obamacare per capita in Florida than anywhere else in the country, the red state of Florida. It's, it's, it's an issue that underneath the surface is killing the Republicans if they'd figure it out. And if the Democrats, I mean, look, Medicare for all, it is a great phrase. It is a simple phrase. People get it. And, and, You know, I just feel like that is a superpower if they figure out how to talk about it, you know, as a front and center issue going forward. I do too.
Speaker 3: When you say to people what they already know is that we are the only industrialized nation in the world that does not provide access to free health care for preventative and emergency medicine. And the idea that we are, people, it's not like you're telling them something new because everybody, look, I have independent private health insurance that I have to get.
Speaker 2: It is at least 30% of my monthly budget.
Speaker 1: Oh, sure. And I can't afford it. I mean, we had to drop it. I had to drop it for a period of time.
Speaker 3: And now I'm back to being insured.
Speaker 1: But..
Speaker 3: It is not an affordable thing, even under the circumstances that we have now.
Speaker 2: And what they are doing to it is.
Speaker 3: So egregious, so nonsensical, so punitive, that it is like, if we only talked about that, instead, what do we talk about? I turn on these shows, and literally, it drives me insane. I turn on these shows, and it's like a circular firing squad, because they end up talking about Hasan Piker for 45 minutes.
Speaker 2: You know what Hassan Piker did?
Speaker 3: Hassan Piker is a live stream guy that has been doing it for I don't know how many years. And he has thousands and thousands and thousands of hours of him just feeling shit into a microphone. By the way, but at the same time, you know what Hassan Piker's done? he has created a little bit of a movement of a group of people that are absolutely opposed.
Speaker 2: To the fascism of Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: And you know what? I want to tap into that. I don't want to opt out of it. I want to figure out with Assange Piker whether or not we can find common ground and fight against the same enemy. Instead, what these guys are doing is he's a virulent antisemite and everybody is this, that, and the other thing. And it's just like, and he said this about 9-11 and he said that it's like, my God, let's talk about this. These guys will sit down, particularly in the mainstream press. They'll sit down and do an interview with a 34 count convicted felon who was adjudicated to have raped a woman and has 30, I don't know, dozens of legitimate sexual assault claims, allegations of sexual assault against him and is in the Epstein files more than any other human being on the face of the earth. They'll sit down and talk with him, but it's not okay for me to sit down and talk with Tucker Carlson.
Speaker 2: They're out of their minds.
Speaker 1: The divisions in America inside the parties used to be a lot less Horrible. You could have Democratic friends if you were Republican. You could have Republican friends if you were a Democrat. You could have these, you know, partisan, cross-partisan friendships and relationships and all that. I don't know when it was, and maybe it's the Fox effect. I'm not sure. I'm not going to blame Fox for everything. They're blamed for a lot. But somehow in the last, I don't know, 15 years, 10 years in Washington, now it's like you're not allowed to talk to the other guys. You're not allowed to go have the beer, the proverbial beer with the other guy. You're not allowed to eat dinner with somebody across the aisle. It's gotten so fucked up and ugly, you know, and it's like once in a while I see something that makes me go like, huh? The other day it was like Elizabeth Warren and Josh Hawley were doing stuff about like not letting private equity buy up every house in neighborhoods, right? And it was what you don't see anything bipartisan anymore because the culture punishes it. Those talking heads on TV punish it. Like I'm sure there are plenty of liberals pissed off at Elizabeth Warren and plenty of conservatives pissed off at Josh Hawley for doing something bipartisan. And man, if we don't stop, if we don't, if we don't put the brakes on that shit at some point, you know, we're not going to, we're not going.
Speaker 3: To survive as a country, but Here's the other thing, though, is that I think is that I think that we're going to have a really great shot at the midterms. And I think that I with the caveat being who knows what shenanigans that they will pull, knowing that they're going to do some stuff that is the voter suppression is going to go through the roof is going to be through the roof. And so but even with that, I think that that we have a chance.
Speaker 2: Attack, attack, attack.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Attack, attack, attack.
Speaker 3: We have the most target-rich environment. We have the most target-rich environment in this Democratic Party in the history of this country. We have a singularly awful human being who has not done anything for the people that he promised that he was going to do something for. And he has been punitive in the way in which he's addressed the rest of the country to the degree that he's literally cancelling major infrastructure projects in blue states and blue cities because Joe Biden created them. And we have a guy that has literally made the world incredibly less safe for everyone. I mean, it is insane that we are not literally every day, no matter what, if you believe in democracy, not just saying, look at that idiot.
Speaker 2: Just look at that idiot. I mean, just think about this. The level of corruption is so insane.
Speaker 3: That it doesn't take much to get people to understand what is going on. He is doing things that are so just patently, totally corrupt. I mean, in a way that is like, I can't believe how crass they are about it.
Speaker 1: And you know what?
Speaker 2: That's the tip of the iceberg of what we're seeing.
Speaker 1: That's why they're trying to cover up all this executive privilege shit. The criminal enterprise in this White House, I mean, the bullshit they accused you of is rounding error of a fraction of one day of their bullshit. I mean, they are stealing tens of billions of dollars. They're taking bribes at a scale that is literally like, you have to go back to Teapot Dome, you know, 120 years ago. to get anything even close to what's happening in this White House. And Americans fucking hate it. And they're starting. It's slow. But Republicans and Democrats are coming together on one big thing. They're realizing the economic crisis they're in is because of the corruption. It's coming together in their heads and fusing because it's like if Trump wasn't running a racket, basically, and he wasn't doing these tariffs and getting people paid off from all that shit, your economy might not suck as hard. They might be in a better world. They might not be struggling and suffering in the same way. So I think that's exactly right, man. I think the corruption is just like, it is the killer app for Democrats. And that is one you can tie every Republican candidate to out there. Because they have never once said a word about Trump stealing billions in crypto and all this other shit that they're doing. Kushner and Witkoff going around the world getting investments while they're negotiating with Russia and Iran and all this. It's insane.
Speaker 2: Truly insane. And the story can be told over and over and over again with facts. I mean, I always like to point out is who appointed Jared Kushner? to anything?
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, he is the most important envoy to the United States representing supposedly the United States interest when he is literally being paid $ 150 million a year by the Saudis alone. He's gotten over $ 7 billion, I think close to $ 7 billion invested into a fund, all from Gulf states.
Speaker 2: So whose interest is.
Speaker 3: He representing when he's trying to open up the Straits of Hormuz that were open until.
Speaker 1: These morons bombed Iran? And what is happening?
Speaker 3: And this is the thing that I think that people just really, truly have to understand.
Speaker 2: Is that all of this is for them to enrich themselves.
Speaker 1: 100%.
Speaker 2: Billions and billions of dollars on trading.
Speaker 3: I made that joke that Donald Trump should receive the Nobel Prize for ending the war in Iran 38 times. No president has ended the same war more times than Donald Trump. And the fact of the matter is, is what you see in each one of those times is they've literally mapped it.
Speaker 1: There is a... 15 minutes.
Speaker 3: Before the announcement, there's a gigantic trade that is made on the market.
Speaker 2: And who do you think is making that trade? It's literally them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: To make billions.
Speaker 3: By the way, while soldiers and sailors, excuse me, sit on aircraft carriers, is literally that don't have food, that don't have a, that, I mean, they're living this existence while we sit around and these guys literally raking money like it's Idi Amin running the country.
Speaker 1: It's incredible. That story of the folks out on the aircraft carriers and the other ships in the blockade who are starving to death, folks. They are not getting food to them. Literally.
Speaker 2: Literally. And so here's one of the reasons.
Speaker 3: The answer is, you know, I saw this thing, or they do, and I like picking on the Pod Save America guys because I think they're weak and feminine.
Speaker 2: And so the reason why I want to pick on them is because.
Speaker 1: Of that, okay? Right.
Speaker 2: I also think that they are not very smart at what they do.
Speaker 3: And so they sit around and kind of go like, what's Hunter Biden doing this for?
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you something. Who better to.
Speaker 3: Highlight the corruption of the Trumps than the person that they accused of corruption for seven years straight? If you could believe every single thing you want to believe, the narrative that they spun about me, 98% of which is not true.
Speaker 2: You could believe all, even if you believed all of that.
Speaker 1: Who better to be the, to deliver this message.
Speaker 3: It doesn't even come close to what these MFers are doing.
Speaker 1: It doesn't even come close. Everything they accused you of is rounding error for one day of their theft. It is like, it is, it is. And, and what they accused you of was 99% bullshit.
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: So, I mean, this is, I think you're exactly right. I think I think having somebody who has, you know, who has survived the sins of this world going out there and saying, hey, guys, no, this this is way much. It's too far.
Speaker 2: OK, let me let me give you let me give you a great example.
Speaker 1: Cryptocurrency.
Speaker 2: Cryptocurrency is a tool.
Speaker 1: I believe in cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: When I was working at the World Food Program as chairman of the board of the U.S.
Speaker 4: U.N.
Speaker 1: World Food Program.
Speaker 3: We tried to institute a way in which we could have microtransactions through the blockchain so that we didn't completely warp economies that refugees were bringing into. And so I read this thing called the Internet of Money a long time ago and became a real believer in it. Now, I wish I had the money to invest in some of the stuff that I was a believer in. But for instance, I'm a believer in the meme tokens. I'm a believer in cryptocurrency. I'm a believer in those things.
Speaker 2: And what do they do? They completely, completely made it all out to be a grift. It was a complete extraction play.
Speaker 3: They drained the, I mean, they literally took money out of the pockets of their retail investors and literally put it into their, from.
Speaker 2: The people that cared about them the most. I believe what we have to do is we have to play their game, is that we have to attack them.
Speaker 3: Where they are the most vulnerable, the weakest. So let's go after them in cryptocurrency, not by telling everybody that cryptocurrency is a grift. Let's start our own things. Let's do our own things. Me, I'll go out and I'll talk about corruption. I'll talk about recovery.
Speaker 2: I'll talk about the humiliation that they put me through.
Speaker 3: And why I believe that it's the thing that connects us rather than divides us. But I just get so sick and tired sometimes. And I'm tired today just because I don't know why. And it's probably coming through. But I'm tired of listening to... To the people that I believe care, I think they care, but they just spend so much time sniping at the people that are on their team that I just don't understand it.
Speaker 1: I will tell you, you mentioned the pod save, guys. There's so much not invented here. If we didn't do it, it's not good. No one else can have a valid idea bullshit. With a lot of people in both the Democratic left and the media, that sometimes you do have to rattle the cage. You do something transgressive and loud. So I do want to ask you, because I was really thinking about this interview last night, and you know I worked for George H.W., the elder Bush, another one-term president. And I have a feeling, it took a long time for him to be appreciated. I have a feeling, I really truly believe this, that your dad is going to be, it's going to take a minute, but that America is going to appreciate the four years of unwinding the sickness and the bullshit and the damage Trump did that, that I don't, I don't think they necessarily get the scope of what he faced when he came into office. And, and I'm curious about like, where do you, where do you see your dad's legacy? And what do you see? Like your, your current, your current work is that wrapped up in it to some degree for you? I hope so.
Speaker 2: And, and, and I, and yes, a hundred percent. I'm not unbiased about my dad.
Speaker 3: I think that his legacy is, is, uh, will be, um, well, is, is secured by virtue of the, the, the man that he is in the singular person as a president. I, I always tell people, and I don't mean this as a criticism to any of the other presidents.
Speaker 2: Particularly the ones I know in, in, in no way in that I, many whom, whom I.
Speaker 3: Have deep, deep respect for is that it takes a level of narcissism to think that you can become president or to become president. And it's, and, and, I think that my dad entered the presidency with the lowest level of narcissism of any president.
Speaker 1: Dude, I am a historian of presidents. Yes, that is correct. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And that everything that he did, he did from the perspective of, and you've heard him say it a million times, from the perspective of.
Speaker 2: Sitting around that table in Scranton.
Speaker 3: With his grandfather and his uncle.
Speaker 2: And what would they think? Everything was about working people. Everything was about..
Speaker 3: And not in a way like it's, you know, like some demographic that he had to try to figure out to message to. I mean, he really understood what it meant to be in the shoes of someone trying to figure out how they're going to make rent and also, you know, send little.
Speaker 2: Joey to college.
Speaker 1: He never lost that. Never lost that threat. Never, ever, ever lost that.
Speaker 3: And that level of what they, you know, it's... Empathy seems to have gone out of fashion in the age of Trump, but I don't know of anyone that had more true empathy, authentic empathy for real people as a president than my dad. With that empathy came an enormous amount of competence also. What people are not focusing on right now because they're focusing on, and it's understandable, they're focusing on what came next in Trump, but You got to remember, Rick, you remember.
Speaker 1: I know this for certain you guys remember.
Speaker 3: They said when my dad won, the whole New York Times editorial kind of board storyline was is that, well, he may have won, but he's never going to be able to govern because he lives in an age of when compromise and bipartisanship existed. And Joe Biden's too old and he doesn't know that that is all gone.
Speaker 1: That was pretty much the Times position. Everybody. Everybody.
Speaker 3: And everybody in the talking head, whether, you know, it said, you know, and particularly inside the Democratic Party that said Joe Biden just doesn't understand.
Speaker 1: Well, what happened?
Speaker 3: My dad passed more bipartisan legislation than any president in a two year period of time since Lyndon Johnson.
Speaker 2: We had a better midterms of.
Speaker 3: Any sitting president, incumbent president than any president since FDR in 1932. We want more state houses, more governorships. We limited the losses in the House and the Senate. To single digits when everybody thought that was going to be a red wave. And at the same time, what we were able to do is cut childhood poverty in half. And what we were able to do is do a $ 1. 3 trillion infrastructure bill. And what we were able to do is the PACT Act. And what we were able to do, and on and on and on and on. I believe that Joe Biden, number one for his dignity and humanity, will stand out as a president. But I also believe that his competence at the time will stand out.
Speaker 2: And you know, the thing that people point to as being.
Speaker 3: The thing that most threatens his legacy is, you know, the debate and pulling out.
Speaker 2: I also believe if you look at it the way at least I do as his.
Speaker 3: Son, I think it was one of the most courageous things and most selfless things a president or a politician at that level has ever done is willingly, without force, give up power.
Speaker 2: Is to hand over in the way.
Speaker 1: That he did.
Speaker 3: And by the way, you know, to say that 107 days wasn't enough and $ 2 billion is that, you know what?
Speaker 2: If that's on Joe Biden, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: The hell they're talking about. You and I talked over that summer. when you know early in that part of that summer and I remember thinking you know the health stuff is a real thing but the thing that strikes me now is all the motherfuckers who tore their hair out about Joe and his health are now like well I guess something's wrong with Trump and then they move right on past it they just do not care it is astounding to me we're watching Donald Trump rot and die in front of our fucking faces right And the same people that were making it the biggest national security issue, everything else about your dad's health, just sort of shrug it off with this guy. And I'm not talking, folks, just about conservative outlets or Fox. I'm talking about The Times and The Washington Post. Well, they're a conservative outlet now. But all these other outlets that tore their hair out, is he fit to serve? They don't seem to fucking care that Trump can't stay awake five minutes.
Speaker 3: By the way, I believe that Trump had a serious life threatening incident. And this is just from Scuttlebutt that I've heard around. And that it has to do with congestive heart failure. And remember that period of time when he was like not seen for a six day period of time?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And everybody just let it go. And he came back. And when he came back, he seems to now not be able to be in public without giant bruises on both of his hands. And he also has been, not on one occasion, but on dozens of occasions, literally falling asleep in a chair behind the desk while his entire cabinet sits behind him and talks. And it's just, it's amazing to me. And I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: I still haven't been able to figure out. Every day.
Speaker 2: Every single day.
Speaker 3: I mean, let me get this story straight too, by the way. The president of the United States flies over to Turkey and he has a NATO summit and he goes with his entire contingency. And like the coward he is, he literally fits his fat ass into a food cart truck and then secretly goes and lets the rest of his staff.
Speaker 2: And meanwhile, Joe Biden... took a flight secretly to Ukraine in the.
Speaker 1: Middle of the war. Walked down the streets.
Speaker 2: Walked out on the street. And he is literally allowing.
Speaker 1: For his staff to become... He put them on the death plane and ran away.
Speaker 3: And how is it that the entire White House press corps isn't the question of the day?
Speaker 2: Mr.
Speaker 3: President, do you think That it was appropriate for you to leave us all as literally the target?
Speaker 2: Well, you knew that it was a legitimate target?
Speaker 1: His military aid stayed on the plane. The fucking football was on the plane without him. Oh my God, I didn't know that. I read that yesterday and I was like, get the fuck out. That is insanity of a level I can't even, in this world right now, not having continuity on that. blows my damn mind. Wait a second.
Speaker 2: How is that even possible, Rick? I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know that protocol as well as I do. I don't even know how that's even possible. I don't either, but they said the only people he took were Harp, Nauta, and Hegseth. And that means the military aid was not there. The only people that were... And if it was, I'll stand corrected, but that is what the reporting was. And I was like, how is this... Wait a second. If a guy worked for a Secretary of Defense, how was that even possible?
Speaker 2: Wait, Hegseth went on the plane with him too?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Oh my God. God knows. God knows. I don't want to have holding that, holding that, those codes. Cause.
Speaker 2: Oh my God almighty.
Speaker 3: And so, you know what, you know, I'll talk to you about that. I'll talk to anybody about that, who sees in that, what I see in it. And I don't care whether you're at, you're from the, the, the whole spectrum from Nick Flantins to, you know, to Hassan Piker.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying that they're, that they're equal. I, I, Whoever has.
Speaker 3: The energy to see what I see and be vocal about it and loud about it in their silos, in their audiences, is somebody I'm willing to talk to.
Speaker 1: And if you're willing to stop the... If you're a Trump person... And I've had a few of my old Republican friends, it's taken years and years and years, who have faded away from him in the last year or so, reach back out. It's like a really... They think I'm going to be mad at them, right? They think I'm going to yell at them or be Rick and be like my... sharp, ugly humor with them or whatever. And I'm always like, I feel, I feel, I feel great for you. You're doing the right thing. You've moved on from that shit. Good for you. I'm not, I don't, I don't want, I'm not trying to extract a price from people who leave evil. Once they've left evil, God bless them. They can move forward. So Hunter, what have you learned in these conversations you've been having with the right, like the, the, the, the Tuckers and the Candaces and the Nick Wintes types? What have you learned from those people as you've been opening these doors and having these conversations?
Speaker 2: Well, the thing that I think the most.
Speaker 3: Educational to me was that they're very, very embarrassed by having been so duped by Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: And the reasons for supporting Donald Trump– are not.
Speaker 3: As nefarious as we would hope them to be. You know, I had somebody that said, oh, why didn't you bring up the replacement theory with Tucker?
Speaker 2: And why don't you?
Speaker 3: Tucker spent a lot of time talking with me about how embarrassed he was by the things that he promoted and said while he was on the employ of Fox News.
Speaker 2: Things that he doesn't believe and that he's embarrassed.
Speaker 3: And he was very open in that interview about the regrets that he had, particularly during that time. And I guess my point is that if people are willing to provide me the grace and the space to be able to tell my story so that it can connect with other people that are still out there sick and suffering and struggling with addiction, which are millions and millions of us, is that I feel that it's incumbent upon me to have the grace to be able to at least hear their explanation of why they were there and how they got to where they are now.
Speaker 2: Because I'm much more interested in where they are now.
Speaker 3: I'm much more interested in the fact that we have a common enemy.
Speaker 2: And I mean that in the literal sense.
Speaker 3: If you are an American that believes in a constitutional republic, in this democracy, is that we all have a common enemy.
Speaker 1: In Donald Trump. 100%.
Speaker 3: Because he does not believe in the idea of a constitutional democracy.
Speaker 2: He does not believe in the idea of a rule of law.
Speaker 3: And so I am, uh, you know, I'm willing to ally with pretty much anybody in that effort.
Speaker 1: And man, I think you are just a brother. I think you are, like I said, America's spirit animal right now. And I love what you're doing. Keep it up. Let's be in touch anytime. Uh, we can help you push something out. Let me, let me know. And, uh, and, and keep up the fight and, and seriously, all of our love to your dad.
Speaker 3: Um, and, and, and, and I appreciate it. I, you know, I, I'll say one thing about that is that I, I, I went, um, when I went on that BBC interview and I said that he had, um, you know, the cancer is red and I want to make clear with everybody is that, you know, the original diagnosis is the diagnosis is that he had prostate cancer and it metastasized to his bones.
Speaker 2: And, He's okay. And the treatment's working.
Speaker 1: But it's awful. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like one of these things, Rick, that we've talked about before. It's like, why don't people talk about it? Because you know what?
Speaker 1: We're all going through it.
Speaker 2: There's not a single person that's listening to this right now that doesn't have a loved one.
Speaker 1: 100%.
Speaker 2: That either survived or is going through cancer.
Speaker 1: 100%.
Speaker 2: You know, it's awful to watch.
Speaker 3: And it's scarier for a son than it is for him.
Speaker 2: Because he's as tough.
Speaker 1: As he is.
Speaker 2: And he never complains.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Give him my love and pass on our good wishes. Excellent, man. Thank you so much for coming on. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you guys more. Thanks.
Speaker 1: All right. We'll talk to you soon. Good night and good luck.