Speaker 1: Something you should go.
Speaker 2: Something you should know is brought to you by Genesis gooldira dot com. That's also something you should know. You can put your retirement plan. I'm the gold Standard. Learn more and get a free gold and silver guide at Genesis goold ir dot com. Excited a visit right now with Rob Koritz with Dark Star Orchestra. He's one of three Robs in the band. They're going to be in town tomorrow. Rob, How in the world did that happen? Is that a prerequisite to be in the band? You got to be a Rob?
Speaker 1: No? But actually at one point our road manager was Rob too, So we have four of us on. It gets a little confusing, but you know, we handle it.
Speaker 2: There you go. Now, you're going to be in Soue Falls tomorrow, September second, at the District in Sioux Falls, And I've got a lot of folks that are super excited to see you, and I've not had a chance to see you guys yet, so this will be a first for me. But I've been told that it kind of reminds people of like a Grateful Dead experience. Is that by design or it just kind of happened?
Speaker 1: No? I mean that's what we do, you know, putting out the trying to recreate the experience the best you can, you know, playing the music just true to the phone as we can give people a little taste of what it was like. Excited to come to Sioux Falls. Actually, this will be our first time in South Dakota and this will be the final state we need to play. This is number fifty, so we're pretty excited about that.
Speaker 2: Well, that's awesome. So tomorrow night is the night. That's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looking forward, it's going to be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: So how long have you been performing with Darkstar Orchestra? When did all this come together?
Speaker 1: The band started in nineteen ninety seven, really, I guess only well, technically none of those original members are left. I started in nineteen ninety nine, a couple of us did, so I've been there twenty six years.
Speaker 2: That is awesome. And is this something that you always kind of thought you'd do, Like when you're a little kid, did you go, this is what I'm going to do with a bunch of other robs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, No, I mean I knew. I knew from very early on that I wanted to be a musician for a living and playing music. I happen to love the Grateful Dead. I did a lot of other stuff, as all of us and the band did a lot of other stuff. But along the way, we were all playing Dead tubes at the same time as we were doing our original bands and jazz gigs and whatnot, and you know, this came. This was kind of a happy synchronistic thing that we all found each other and were able to perform this music as well as we do together and you know, keep it together for going on, coming up on thirty years. So it's we've been very lucky.
Speaker 2: And The Grateful Dead was an amazing band. And the thing that's interesting is they did things kind of their own way. They marched the beat of their own drum, didn't they.
Speaker 1: Oh, they certainly did, and in every aspect of it musically, business wise, the way they toured, the way they treated their crew, the way they treated their fans. They let people tape their shows, which is like a huge no no in the rest of the industry. Yeah. So yeah, they were definitely a unique animal, for sure.
Speaker 2: I had the opportunity to read a book. It was called Marketing Lessons from the Grateful Dead, and I mean just the title alone. The title alone made me go, Okay, I got to read this and it was like a tied I'd cover. It was just a fascinat ever heard of the book before, but it was a fascinating.
Speaker 1: I read it and I've read it.
Speaker 2: Isn't it great?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean there's so much, especially now with Debt in company, which is the surviving members and John Mayer and all that keeping it alive as well. But the Grateful Debt is so it's its own cottage industry, you know, there's just yeah, the marketing aspect, the business aspect, the musical aspect, the merchandising aspect, it's the communal aspect, which is the most important part. It's it's it's really its own little cottage industry for sure.
Speaker 2: And you had mentioned the taper section that they had and they would let people come and record, but they had like a special area to do it because they said, hey, if you set up over here, it's going to sound the best. Like a lot of shows you go to. If you're recording, you get kicked out. I mean, how crazy is that. It's so different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they wanted, you know, the Garcia Jerry Garcia said it best. You know, I played the music and once I'm done with it. Once I play that song, I'm done with it, So leave it out there for everybody else. They were always like that, you know, and they knew people tape and they liked it that this was happening because it's spread the music even sure, you know, to have more people. So they said, well, if they're going to do it, let's help them out. And they set up the taper section right in front of the soundboard, and you know, respected the people that we're going to do that and help them. People music widespread across the world for everybody to.
Speaker 2: Hear, and a lot of the recordings that are out there today are taper recordings that you know, some person somewhere set up a recorder. And how how grateful are the grateful dead fans that that music lives on because of that?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yeah, I mean it's a it's a phenomenal resource, you know. I mean, that's how out of high school, that's how I got turned on. There is people trading tapes and going, hey, you got to listen to this. You know, these famous live recordings that got circulated. Well, I you Julie Well got me into it.
Speaker 2: Rob Koritz one of the three Robs with Dark Star Orchestra. They'll be in town tomorrow night, and I encourage you if you don't already have a ticket, get a ticket, come out and join us. It'll be a fun time. It's at a place called the District in Sioux Falls, and Rob, You're going to love this place. It's a great venue and there's like an upper deck and a lower deck and people no matter where you are, you got a good seat, if you're upstairs or downstairs, all all very good seating. And I'm excited to see the show. I think it's going to be really fun. Thank you very much for chatting with me, and thanks for coming to Sue Falls tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: Our pleasure. We'll see you tomorrow, Thanks so much again.
Speaker 2: Darkstar Orchestra in Sioux Falls at the District tomorrow night. All of the details at Facebook dot com. Slash Sunny Radio is Something you Should Know. Something you Should Know is brought to you by Genesisgoldira dot com. Put your retirement plan on the Gold Standard. Get a free Gold and Silver guide now at genesisgoldra dot com.