Speaker 1: Little orphan Nanni comes to our house to stay, to wash the cups and saucers up, and brush the crumbs away to shoes and chickens off the porch, and clean the hearth, and make the beds in her board and keep and all of a suddenther children. When the supper dishes are done, we sit around the kitchen fire and had the most is fun listening to the ghost tails, and said Granny tell about and the gobbles a get you if you don't watch out. There was a little boy who never said his prayers, and he had to go to bed, and way upstairs his mama heard him holler, and his pappy heard him scream, and when they turned the covers down, he wasn't there at all. They seek to in the rafter room and cubby hole and press. They seeked him in the living room and everywhere, I guess, but all they ever found of him was his pants and a roundabout. And the goblins will get you if you don't watch out. There was a little girl who always laughed, in grinned, and made fun of everyone in all her blood and kin. And once when there was company and all folks was there, she mocked them, and she shocked them and said she didn't care at this. She kicked her heels to start to run and hide. There was two big old black things that standing by her side. They snatched her through the ceiling before she knowed what she was about. And the goblins will get you if you don't watch out, little arf, and Nannie says, when the blaze is blue and the lamp sputters and the wind goes woo, you better mind your parents and your teachers, fonded Deer and cherry him to love you and dry the orphan's tear and help the poor aniti then cuss her all about, or the goblins will get you if you don't watch out.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, Hey guys, and thanks for tuning into the sixth I think this is the sixth And I'm Mike and I'm Austin and we are your hosts for a Strange Thing podcast. Yeah, it's been a while, It has been a while. I had one hella. Last couple of weeks. A few weeks you had a what hellafa hellifa? Yeah hell last the last couple of weeks, Why what happened?
Speaker 3: I know what it was?
Speaker 2: Well, first we had a baby come into our lives. Baby be Baby Bennett, Baby Bennett, Bennette, Burrito, Burrito, Bendito, Benito, Burrito, Benito, Burrito, Bendito Bennett. Yeah, and uh, that was an ordeal in itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ended up having a se section Yep, not you, but your wife.
Speaker 2: That'd be one heck of an ordeal and staying in the hospital for a while, and I got sick and she's recovering from a very dramatic or traumatic.
Speaker 3: And that's why if people are listening, why it's been almost a full month since we did our last episode, are hard. Well for those of you who have had babies, they know what you're talking about. For those that haven't, just trust us. Having babies is a whole different dynamic in your life.
Speaker 2: Yep, it is. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't chain it or you wouldn't trade it for anything.
Speaker 2: No, maybe motorcycle A quiet baby, quiet baby. But anyway, it's been a while. It's going to be back in front of the microphones and we are going to continue today our topic of spooky things in a strange place. And in our last episode we talked about two locations, and we're going to forget about the second location. For today, we're going to talk about the first location, which is Millner's Gate. Millionaire's really focus our lenses on Milliner's Gate today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're going to like dive right down into it, and we're going to listen to a few audio excerpts from people who actually have experienced.
Speaker 2: Some phenomen interview stories. Yes, that'll be really cool.
Speaker 3: Yes, it'll be fun. They're gonna tell us their experiences where we also have a guest person who decided to go ahead and give us his story when he was a little kid of his experience with hat Man before hat Man even knew what hat Man was.
Speaker 2: Oh, that makes it a little more credible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And for those of you who don't know what we're talking about when we're talking about hat Man, it's basically a shadow person. But it's a type of shadow person.
Speaker 2: There's this phenomenon phenomena phenomena phenomena Okay, bad of people seeing similar things, and they're often they see it like in bed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: They've got like sleep paralysis, and this figure is in their room and they can't identify as somebody they know or even as a person. It's like it's darker than the surrounding area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's not like solid it it's like a shadow on a wall. Vapor vaporish. Yeah. But yeah, so people are seeing this thing all over the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah. People often see one that has a hat on. They call it hat man. They think there's one they called the Old Hag. It's like an old lady and been over that one's kind of been known to like sit on your chest and stuff like hold you down. There's some other ones.
Speaker 3: Too, although those haven't been seen at Milner's Gate.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, there just yeah types of these kind of ghoulish. It's the character figures that you see called shadow people, category category, shadowgory. Did I say shaategory?
Speaker 3: No, but I did.
Speaker 2: That was really cool. I like the word category category. We're gonna get a copyright on that category shaategories anyway, maybe game called shadogories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Milner's Gate, there have been at least four people that have seen a shadow person with a hat and they called him hat man. But his names as far as what they're talking about, his name is actually James and the name came and we touched on this briefly in our last episode. There were some people who saw the video from Milner's Gate of the chairs sliding out that became kind of a YouTube phenomena, and they came up. They asked if they could come up, and they came up, and they're a family and they're one. It's a medium and they have like ghost gear detectors. Yeah and yeah. So they brought up this and they had a box. It's called the ghost box and you can google that and see what that is. And we're going to talk about technology used for ghost hunting, but we're going to do that later. That's another episode. But anyway, this box, they asked what the name of this apparition was and it replied, James James.
Speaker 2: I'm imagining it sounded like this, James.
Speaker 3: I think it sounded more like James James, James James like that. It was like.
Speaker 4: James or James Jamos or Jamie Hamos.
Speaker 3: I've got it, Hamo.
Speaker 2: Okay, anyway, let's move on.
Speaker 3: So what happened was this named the entity or the experiences that people were having. So they went around and started calling this apparition James, and along with that Brian the manager there, that kind of brought this to everybody's attention. Started leaving a drink occasionally downstairs on the bar because downstairs in Milner's Gate they have like a whole nother bar and like a conference area. Cool, and he started leaving a little little shot of whiskey down there for James.
Speaker 2: It's pretty sweet. I actually saw Brian this last weekend, did you over Thanksgiving? And I asked him if we saw if he's had any more James run ins. He's like, not really lately. Yeah. He did tell me though. There was another lady who had experienced seeing hat man and she wanted to tell her story and he was going to record it for us, but he hasn't done it yet, so that's coming. We'll do that in another episode, but we've got a few of them lined up and ready to go today. Before we do that, I think we should go back to somebody's first perceptions of an entity that has a hat on. And I think that would be a great way to introduce my buddy Brian, who.
Speaker 3: Different Brian. Not Brian my brother in law. This is Brian, my coworker that I used to work with, ex coworker, ex coworker, And just a little background on this guy. He is a shooter, for the videography. Now, No, he did a lot of work with the military. In fact, he's been he worked with NASA, he worked with the army. He's done a lot of really cool stuff. He spent some time in the North Paul. I mean, this guy's he's been around, and he's a video shooter and he's shot a lot of video and he's also a producer and a director.
Speaker 2: He's a great guy. But when he was young, he had an encounter with hat Man and rather than me, described that I'm just gonna let him do it in his own words, let's get into it. Let's do it world on footage.
Speaker 5: I was probably about twelve years old, and I'd grown up in Colorado.
Speaker 2: Excuse me.
Speaker 5: My family had just moved to northern Virginia and we had rented a house for a year. And this house was just kind of a nondescript colonial, two stories in an older neighborhood, and it had four bedrooms, three bedrooms upstairs, one bedroom downstairs. And I have one sister, so as the boy, I got assigned the downstairs bedroom. Everybody else slept up and there was also a guest room. One of the three bedrooms upstairs was a guest bedroom, so I had my downstairs room, which I thought was great at first because I could hang out there with my friends and we had the whole basically the whole basement to play in. And after we had lived there for about probably three or four months, I started having these weird things happened to me in that downstairs bedroom, and the biggest one was I would wake up in the middle of the night and I would hear voices coming from the closet. And I know that sounds like typical, you know, kid nightmare kind of stuff, but I would wake up, be fully awake, and it would sound like multiple people inside the closet talking low voices, and it would just scare the crap out of me. So this happened a few times. I told my parents. They said, now you're dreaming, but I felt like it was real. And one night I was sleeping downstairs. I woke up and I heard those voices in the closet, and it scared me so much that I got up and I went upstairs to the guest bedroom, which was close to my parents room, and I thought this seemed safe, so I laid down in the bed in that guest bedroom and thought maybe I could go to sleep. I closed my eyes for a second. Maybe I had gone to sleep. But I woke up suddenly in the middle of the night, and in the darkness of the room, with the window facing me a little bit of light coming through, there was a shape at the end of the bed. It was a tall, completely dark figure, a silhouette, basically in front of the window, and I could make out the shoulders, I could make out the head, and it had a huge hat on its head, and of course that scared the literal crap out of me. I screamed. The figure didn't move, I could tell it was looking at me, even though I didn't see any eyes.
Speaker 3: I screamed.
Speaker 5: My father woke up, came into the room, turned on the light, and there was nothing there. The thing was gone. But that really shook me. And so this was way back in the maybe the early seventies. No one had heard of hat Man, no one had heard of the Internet at that point. I had nothing to compare it to what I had seen. But I had been studying South America in school, and one of the things we were studying were the South America and I think they were Argentinian cowboys called gauchos, and they wore these big, kind of floppy hats, and that's all I had to compare it to. So I told my friends, I told my family that this thing had been in the room and it was a gaucho. It was a South American cowboy, big floppy hat.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 5: You know, because that's all I had to compare it to. So it wasn't for many years and I told people this story, all my friends, my family, for years and years and years I told this story about how I had woken up one night and had seen this thing in my room wearing a hat. It wasn't until about probably, gosh, nineteen ninety eight, maybe ninety nine, that I happened to hear maybe it was a George Norri show or something like that. Were they this hat man who would appear in people's rooms at night, a tall, dark figure wearing a hat. And I just froze and the hair on my neck stood up, and I thought, that is really weird because that's what I had seen. And so I went online and I looked up hat man, the first time I'd ever heard that word, and sure enough, there were some artist renditions of this hat Man, and it just scared me to death. When I saw it, Like I said, the hair stood up on the back of my neck. I got all tingly That's what I had seen that night, all those years ago. I had no hat Man reference for it at the time, but I knew that's what it was. It looked exactly like what I had seen and so and I never saw anything after that. I never never again saw hat Man, never heard voices in my closet, and maybe you know it was it was a dream.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: But the weird thing about that hat like, how would I have come up with that on my own? So the takeaway for me is that now I know that what I saw was something real because other people have seen the exact same thing. And the other thing I've decided is that when I hear someone describe a hat Man encounter, I believe them because I saw it too. And I don't know what it is. I don't know what it was. I don't know what other people are seeing, but that hat there's.
Speaker 3: Something about that happening. Okay.
Speaker 2: I just got to do a thank you to Brian for sending us that story. He recorded that on his way to McCall Idaho in his car. So he was driving up there reflecting on the past. This is something that happened to him when he was a young kid, probably forty years in the past, and it stuck with him until this very day. Nice and he gave us a good layout of who hat Man is, and kind of he didn't really go into who shadow people are, what shadow people are, but yeah, and I find it really strange that here he is telling a story about this encounter with an apparition that is the same structure, yeah, as the apparitions that are being seen in Milner's Gate. And it's not just limited to Milner's Gate. I mean, this is a phenomena that's worldwide, right, And and what I did is I googled hat Man. Yeah, and I kind of took a mental image of who he is. He's just as shadow, he figured, with a hat, kind of a duster jacket, real black, real tall, real slim. And then I googled Gaucho.
Speaker 3: Which is what he called hat Man before even.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, they look like the hat shape is the same. If you were to silhouette a picture of a gaucho kicking his way through a saloon door, you would pretty much have this hat man shadow person, yeah, which which you said pretty regularly see kind of looked like Zoro. Yeah, I said, it looks like Zoro.
Speaker 3: Uh. The hat the kind of a flat brimmed hat that's really.
Speaker 2: Wide, really wide, keeps the sun off you.
Speaker 3: Not like a sombrero. Because my first you know, when people talked about, you know, hat man, and I was thinking, especially when Brian called him gaucho, I was thinking a big sombreromre. Yeah. But if you google it, you'll see all these images of these very wide, broad brimmed hats.
Speaker 2: Clint Eastwood wears one a movie. That's the other thing I.
Speaker 4: Told you kind of remember you.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm really bad at that. I can't wish that it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah like that bamp bamp. Yeah, that's that the good, the bad.
Speaker 3: And the ugly.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: He Yeah, when he's a gunfighter, he wears that kind of hat.
Speaker 2: Just kind of a flat looking kind of basic hat shape. Yeah. Anyway, it's pretty cool. Yeah, and to hear Brian's story, so here he was this little kid frozen in fear telling people about this. Let's just do a quick math. So let's say.
Speaker 3: Brian is in his mid fifties. I'm being generous, Brian, but anyway, mid fifties and he was thirteen. Let's say say forty years ago square root, So forty years ago would have been nineteen eighty, so in nineteen eighty. Yeah, we can do math portally, but we can do math in nineteen eighty. Somewhere on there, there's this little kid hiding in his downstairs bedroom alone, seeing a guy wearing a hat in his room, no eyes because he's just a shadow. That's a tall person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember being a little kid, and tall people are into imitating as it is, waking up in the middle of the night, Yeah, seeing one over your bed with a hat, with a kind of a disfigured hat, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And what you're saying that a lot of stories have like that, that figure like sitting on people's chest or something holding them down. They can move.
Speaker 2: A lot of it is like sleep paralysis and your minds maybe filling in blanks or something. I don't know, but yeah, they feel like they can't move. They're paralyzed with fear. But you hear that a lot with these kind of mystical paranormal stories where okay, so like, uh, what is that guy in Chicago?
Speaker 3: Mothman? What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: You see that a lot in these paranormal things like Mothman. People say they saw Mothman and they were just frozen and they couldn't move, or they they saw the old Hag shadow person, or they saw hat Man and they couldn't move there.
Speaker 3: Just paralyzed.
Speaker 2: So have you ever had an experience of not being able to move, whether it's like in real life war or maybe in a dream. I've had dreams where I couldn't move for sure, me too. I used to have this dream pretty regularly. But I would go to bed and in the middle of the night there would be this really long, thin snake what that would slither into our house and it would actually eat your stomach and it was like laying over your bed and eating you. And Mom was asleep and I knew it was in there, but I couldn't get out of bed. That is a really weird dream, you know, me maybe ever telling you I never.
Speaker 3: I don't remember it, but I never was eaten by a snake in my bed.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe you have a tape worm you don't know about it and aware, but yeah, that's a weird dream. But you know, I think that's the only time I can remember having like sleep paralysis or like where I want to get up and I feel like I have to get up, but I just am not capable of it. And then I've had like freezing moments where like you're.
Speaker 3: Around and you can't because your legs are too heavy or.
Speaker 2: No I've had like like I thought somebody was in our house one time when we just moved in. I got my new son in the house and I thought I heard a noise. I did hear a noise. She'll be heard it too. And I walked out there and I was kind of like leaning into the kitchen from our bedroom and heard a noise and I froze and it was like I had a I had a pocket knife, but I was like, I think I'm actually gonna get in a tangle with somebody right now in the garage because there was a noise in the garage.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it was. That's quite a story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like actually froze up and like had to had to like breathe myself on what was gonna happen?
Speaker 3: This topic, this, this gives me an idea we need to do a series on strange dreams.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be fun.
Speaker 3: Not just like a strange dream, but a recurring strange dream, something that happens that people experience. So let's just say, hey, guys, if you've had a weird dream that reoccurs.
Speaker 2: I got several of those. Yeah, and Amber's probably got some time.
Speaker 3: I'm sure my daughter, Yeah, I'm sure she. But I think we should get like our listeners, if you have a strange, reoccurring dream, record it, write it down, send it to us at my story at a Strange thing dot com.
Speaker 2: And we can call it strange Thing in Dreamland or something like that. Yeah. Okay, but mister Sandman's strange Thing, I just.
Speaker 3: Sort of rabbit hole on a rabbit hole. Okay, let's steer back to Okay, So we have this apparition that's appearing at Milner's Gate, not only at Milner's Gate, but apparently forty years ago with Brian and worldwide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is one of the weird things. We're going to talk about different apparitions later, but we're going to try to focus in on the weird things going on at Milner's Gate because I think that gives us a launch pad on the kind of apparitions that maybe we can discuss later, especially if we combine Milner's Gate with our next episode, which will be about the sanitarium and Goodie and Idaho the tuberculosis Hostile Fiddle. So because they're different kinds of they're different kinds of operations. Right.
Speaker 3: So anyway, now let's go on to our next story, which is another story about an experience. It's vocalized by one of the employees at Milner's Gate, and let's listen to what she has to say.
Speaker 2: So, one of the one of the employees at Milner's Gate is having this experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of the employees had Brian record this story.
Speaker 2: Okay, and this is something that happened to this employee, right, Oh yeah, cool. They're not just like telling a story they heard there.
Speaker 3: Nope, this is an experience she had at Milner's Gate. Oh cool, All right, let's roll into it.
Speaker 6: My name is osmrnld'pinya. I am one of the managers here at Milner's Gate, and since I started working here, I've actually had a lot of paranormal experiences here. I often close by myself when all the rest of the staff has gone home when I'm doing my reports or paperwork. And I started about a month or two after I after we opened. When I started working near I started hearing noises downstairs, like loud like it sounded like furniture being moved around, and it's super scary, especially when you're here by yourself. So it was kind of self I mean, it was kind of gratifying when the video came out with the barstools being moved around, because it confirmed for me that I wasn't actually hearing things that there's seriously was furniture being moved around downstairs. There was another irricasion when I went down the stairs to lock some of the doors and I walked past our boiler room area and as I was passing the doorway, I heard the loudest sound like a cage door being slammed shove. It was so loud and it scared the living daylights out of me. There is no cage doors in that room. I cannot figure out to this day what in the world that noise could have been. It was so close to my ear. There was no imagining that. I've also had some experiences up in the dining room area where we've seen we have candle holders that are actually stemless wine glasses and we put the candles inside of them twice. Now those things have it seems like they fly off the walls and go crashing down. It's it's kind of crazy. But yeah, those are some of the experiences that I've had.
Speaker 3: Obviously that was recorded in the restaurant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, parts like the hustle and bustle going on in the.
Speaker 3: Background, probably up on that little upper layer. Yeah, that was kind of cool. Thank you. It was Esma Pina Pin. Yeah, thank you for that. Multiple experiences there. Yeah, not shadow Man per se, but weird things happening, you know, And I know that, like when you go someplace and there's this expectation of weird things happening, you're.
Speaker 2: Like an high alert for that. But this was at the start before all the crazy stuff. This is before they level the first floor is crazy.
Speaker 3: This is before they caught the stools moving on the security cameras.
Speaker 2: She even says, are like some peace because it's crazy. Yeah, everybody's insane apparently. Yeah, yeah, everybody's going crazy there at Milner's Gate, but yeah, in a good way insane, which by the way Milner's Gate. They are now doing their own beers. They have their own beers on tap at Milner's Gate. So if you're in the Twin Falls area and you want to go try some craft beer, go to Milner's Gate, have a tunea tower, oh my gosh, and some beer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'd be great, it'd be awesome.
Speaker 2: She said. The one thing about those timeless wine glasses with candles in them, yeah, falling off, flying off, flying, she said, they kind of like projected her. I think she said flying off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they didn't just like go, oh yeah something.
Speaker 2: I had an experience like that once. I'm pretty sure it was just the way things were laid out where at our house. We had a condo in Salt Lake City.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Blue a long time ago.
Speaker 2: That was probably the first time I've been scared of like a ghosts.
Speaker 3: You're like ten or eleven. Okay, we'll keep going because I'm going to tell a story about that place.
Speaker 2: I know the story about the place, and it freaks me out even more because of that. We knew it at the time. I know, we didn't tell you guys because we knew.
Speaker 3: It freak you out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this condo we lived in in Salt Lake. It was kind of in a community, you know, condo community. It was three floors, a basement with a walkout kind of bout in the area that stepped down.
Speaker 3: It was cool.
Speaker 2: The middle floor with a kitchen. Basically it's just a kitchen and family room, and then you go upstairs and there's three bedrooms and maybe a closet in a bathroom. I'm upstairs by myself, everybody's downstairs, and one of the neighbor kids let me borrow a Snoop Dogg CD. And you guys were a little restrictive on this. The music that I would listen to rap being played a d or some weird Christian rapper, which yeah, I love it so much, but I kind of like snug upstairs and I put I had that big silver boom box. It was like three pieces that like kind of clicked together. It was a six disc changer in the top, I think, and I put Snoop Dogg in, and I'm kind of listening to it loud, but not guilty, probably kind of a little bit guilty. And I had a stack of CDs on top of one of the speakers and the top of the speakers are completely flat. And I had to actually like process this when it happened, because I'm sitting there listening to this music and I'm not really thrilled because it is Snoop Dogg.
Speaker 3: And all of a.
Speaker 2: Sudden, that stack of CDs, it didn't just fall off of the speaker, It like was projected off the speed like actually like they like separated in the air as they flew across my room and I was like, oh shit, I grabbed that CD, rode my bike over, gave it back to the guys.
Speaker 3: We were like, oh my gosh, I the.
Speaker 2: D O double G is the D E V I L That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So I know, I never heard about that.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't about it because I was listening to Snoop Dogg.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, we were a little conservative, but mainly we just didn't want you to hear a bunch of F bombs and about, Hey, I'm gonna go get all lit up doo b No.
Speaker 2: I understand that, but but it was funny and maybe as I'm older and even at the time, I thought, well, maybe the shaking of the speakers because they are like six inch speakers in there, and then like a tweeter up above it. Maybe that was moving the box enough to have it vibrate to where it fell off the edge in a kind of lighting pattern. But knowing what happened in that building, yes, you later, So we never told the kids about this because we didn't find out about it right away before we moved in and we were.
Speaker 3: Down there in Salt Lake. We moved into this townhouse and halfway in, my daughter, who was I think you were probably eleven thin she was maybe you were nine, and she was thirteen. Because she was just going into junior high, she wanted the downstairs basement to herself, and so she got it. And we found out later that there had been a suicide, that a young man had hung himself in that basements. So Amber, our thirteen year old precious daughter is sleeping downstairs, one floor separate from all of us on the top floor. So she's down there, and you know, we never I don't know. She had these crazy what did they call him? Night terrors? Was that at the that was at that place. Oh, So she would get up and like she would walk around in like a dream state, but she'd walk around and just be terrified.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought that was at the Bitter House. No, she did it there too, but it started at this place.
Speaker 3: Oh well yeah, and we wondered if you know.
Speaker 2: It lingers in the back of your mind. But we were stuck there. We had a year lease, so we didn't know what to do. And ambers she that's my daughter. She slept down there and then you were upstairs. But there were some weird things that happened there. But that's kind of I never made that connection before. Yeah, well, you didn't know why I had the CD thing you told me about the guy the suicide. Yeah, Like when we were moving out, we had to go through and take all of the nails and out of the world stuff, finishing nails out of the wall. And I remember going downstairs with a hammer, because that's a good job for a nine year old, is go pull nails out of.
Speaker 3: The wall where we hung pictures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just kind of a quick, easy thing that will make them feel important and it'll kind of help you. So I go around and it had like sighting or what's that called, like a veneerboard in the bandeling, yeah, paneling, and it had a finishing nail in there. So I put the hammer on the finishing nail and I was pulling on it and it actually wasn't coming out of the wall. And this is you just told me about what that there had been a suicide. You probably had to explain to me what a suicide was. Anyway, I start pulling on this nail. It's not coming out, So I actually am like kind of hanging on the wall with the nail. Does that make sense, Yeah, you can picture it. You're holding onto a hammer and you're actually like pulling yourself up on this nail. And it popped out and I fell back on the floor and I thought, I don't know, I just had this thought like there's a ghost. May they just threw me on the ground that I never ran out of there. That was a weird place. That was a weird time in our lives. But anyway, we survived. You survived the ghost in the townhouse. Back to Milner's Gate, back to Milner.
Speaker 3: Rewind rewinded. So, yeah, weird things happen all over the place, but Milner's Gate has had a lot of weird things happen since it opened up.
Speaker 2: And just her thing like, have you ever been in a place where you know the noises? She works there every day she's there, she's used to it, and then I can't imagine insert gate smashing chain, cellar door here, and that's what she heard, and that noise doesn't belong there because it's every day when you wake up in your house. You maybe hear the furnace, you maybe hear the clock ticking on the wall and the TV running. But if you heard.
Speaker 3: Weird footsteps when the house is empty, yeah, or.
Speaker 2: A car door slamm in your living room something, make the park right up, it really get your attention and then how be heard.
Speaker 3: There's other stories there. I'm hoping we can get this third story in, which is a hat Man story, so hopefully that will be included in this. But also I want to get back to Milner's Gate. So Milner's Gate historically, if you remember our last episode, we talked about how it was built in nineteen twenty two by the Elks. The what was it called.
Speaker 2: The Benevolent and Benevolent Manevolent Order of the Elks.
Speaker 3: Benevolent and Fraternal Order of the Elks. Yes, father, yeah right, I am your soternal. You are Bards.
Speaker 2: I don't know what what's fraternal means?
Speaker 3: What does fraternal mean it means of or like a brother or brother. So it's definitely a masculine kind.
Speaker 2: Of fraternity house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fraternity instead of sorority would be the girl version. Yeah. But anyway, I want to get back to I got it. I got a thing I wanted to tell.
Speaker 2: The Elks, the the.
Speaker 3: Building, the Elks building, and then it became the ballroom, and then it became some other things. But one thing I for got to really point out is that before it was sold to this development company to make and go through and totally revitalize this building, it was owned by the Freemasons.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that.
Speaker 3: I think I think we mentioned that it was like that.
Speaker 2: At some point. It came up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, so the Freemasons, which in some ways has a more diabolic possibility surrounding. Yes, there's a lot of weird stuff around Freemasonry.
Speaker 2: They may or may not be nefarious.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, we haven't used our nefarious word for a long time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Good, I'm glad you said it. Nefarious, nefarious, nefarious, want to say it a bunch of times? Yeah? Anyway, Okay, Yeah, so this organization, the Freemasons, has a long history. But along with that, The Elks also have a history, and I think we mentioned last time that there is a part of their procedure every time they meet is too at eleven PM, have a moment of silence for their fallen brothers or the brothers that have died before, and so they actually recite a poem, and we have that poem.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's cool, Yeah, it is pretty cool. Let's check it out right now, here's the baritone boss, the voice in the darkness, the one that soothes you to sleep, with his passionate and interesting voice that comes from the depths of his soul and is bared forth to you in story and perfection.
Speaker 7: You have heard the tolding of eleven strokes. This is to remind us that with elks, the hour of eleven has tender significance. Wherever Elks may roam, whatever their lot in life may be, When this hour falls upon the dial of night, the great heart of elkdoms swells and throbs. It is the golden hour of recollection, the homecoming of those who wander, the mystic roll call of those who will come no more living or dead. Elks are never forgotten, never forsaken. Morning and noon may pass them by, the light of day sink heedlessly in the west. But ere the shadows of midnight shell fall, the chimes of memory will be peeling forth the friendly message to our absent members.
Speaker 3: You know, I gotta say that is an awesome voice.
Speaker 2: His voice. We've got to come up with a name for you need a name for him?
Speaker 3: The bone I like it bartone.
Speaker 2: Boss, a voice in the darkness.
Speaker 3: Ooh, either want or baritone Boss aka the voice in the darkness. The voice, and his real name is Peter, Peter, and he is awesome. He has an awesome voice. Peter, thank you so much for doing these. I've got some stuff for you. I haven't given it to you yet, but I've got stuff for you, I promise, So please do this often for us.
Speaker 2: We should ask him if he has a name that it's like something he likes to go by, or.
Speaker 3: What's better than a voice in the darkness? Or would you call it first?
Speaker 2: The baritone Boss, the baritone boss. Barone Boss sounds like a jazz singer. He's trying to make a name for himself.
Speaker 3: Well, he's like right there on the edge of baritone and bass. So baritone Boss kind of splits the middle. I like it so I'm going to call him baritone Boss. Tell I know better. So, Baritone Boss, thank you, you rock. We want to use you a lot, and hopefully we can reciprocate in some meaningful way for you.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: And I should say that the opener, the voice at the very beginning of our episode, is your grandpa yep, doing a scary story that terrified me as a child. Yep. Oh my gosh. He would tell us that story. We'd be outside, we lived out in the country, would be outside. Sometimes he'd build a little fire out there and he'd stand around and tell you that story. And he was lit from the bottom and the flickery orange lights, and he would tell the story of little Orphan any and I.
Speaker 2: Think you probably heard it. Oh yeah, I heard it times and he told us. And so last time I was down there my dad. He's getting up there in age a little bit, but I said, Dad, can you tell that story? And it took him a few times, but we got it and recorded it for cool too, because now it's it's it's im mortalized.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, eternalized, immortalized.
Speaker 2: But it'll we have it now, I know, and we can that we can pass it on to kids and hopefully we'll be sitting in the same spooky basement.
Speaker 3: And going mad.
Speaker 2: That's creepy picturing the same things.
Speaker 3: And you hear things like, you know, and cubby hole impress. What in the heck is cubby hole impress? I don't know what that is. I don't know, but it sounds creepy. But anyway, that was my dad. His name's John, And so we have three generations on this podcast.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool. And my son you might hear, yeah, if you're a little kilos in the background, that's my generation. That's pretty cool, which kind of makes me think we should maybe mention that we're kind of having a family shin dig right now. We've got my sister, my beautiful.
Speaker 3: Wife, my mom, my beautiful.
Speaker 2: Wife, and my kiddos, your little nephew, my nephew.
Speaker 3: And they're all running around. We do a Christmas tradition where everybody comes over. We bake cookies. Well I say we they where we go hide away and do other things usually, but so they're out there running around usually they kind of are a little quieter, so you don't pick it up. But I know, I know for a fact that there is noise that is going to come through. Yeah, because I heard your son running around yelling. I heard the ladies working on with mixers and blenders and glean and cackling. You said, cackling, I said, I don't know if it's actually cackling. I don't know.
Speaker 2: But they're having fun. Yeah, they're having a good time. We're having a good time.
Speaker 3: Yes, So if you hear that, that's what that's all about. All right, we got another clip to play. It's Brian, my brother in law.
Speaker 2: My uncle, my wife's brother, my wife's uncle in law, something like that. We're gonna let him tell his story. He's gonna explain a.
Speaker 3: Couple of little things. Sweet, here we go. Hey, it's Brian ordered at the gate.
Speaker 2: This we'll start with.
Speaker 8: I'd heard stories about voices and sounds and shadows happening from destructions and workers who were here who'd come in at night and finished up some of their work for the day. But I first experienced it personally when myself another manager, we're finishing up.
Speaker 3: Everyone gone.
Speaker 8: Then she stopped and asked, did you hear that? We were both quiet for a few seconds. Then we heard a woman yell what sounded like hello, like a Hello. We both got goose bumps, and I turned and looked to the doors and out the windows. My initial thought was that someone needed in, like they had forgotten their credit or debit card, or their phone or maybe their keys. But no one was out any of the windows or any of the doors. I couldn't see anyone, and it was pretty freaky.
Speaker 3: After that is.
Speaker 8: When AS heard those chains downstairs that you put in the first part of this podcast series.
Speaker 3: And then I guess my first personal introduction.
Speaker 8: To who we called James was the stool video. When I was upstairs and mopping up the bar when I heard stools scraping on the concrete downstairs. I stopped and figured it was Chris, a general manager who was here with me moving tables around for maybe a banquet down there the next day. About a few seconds later, Chris walked out of the office and around into the kitchen, turned the dining room lights off. When he walked back in there, he noticed some stools in front of the basement bar had been pushed out when he looked up at the camera, so he wound it and did the playback to see who or when the stools downstairs were pushed back. And he saw those stools being pushed. We went down to investigate those stools, and it was kind of like a Scooby and Shaggy episode where I'm going down the stairs in the dark and he's behind me, and we're both kind of freaked out and kind of like halfway giggling because we're half scared, half laughing excited, I guess.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we went.
Speaker 8: Down there, and we turned on the lights and I even checked for wires to see if someone was pulling the brink on us.
Speaker 3: Nothing there.
Speaker 8: So it was weird because it's exactly what I heard. The scraping down there was what we caught on camera, and to this day, when I hear someone moving chairs around down there, I get that weird feeling like it's it apping again, but it hasn't happened since. And then I first, only, I've never seen the hat man. I've never seen James had some coworkers tell me, like when I was sitting next to one of them when night all closed up. It was just the two of us and enjoining the beer after our shift, and we were in the dark. The only lights where the bar lights, and she just stopped talking and just got really weirded out because she saw the hat Man standing behind us staring at us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm waiting to see.
Speaker 8: Him, waiting to talk to him. I guess I did talk to him through that little uh, I don't know what it's called, some machine with white noise and then the spirits speak through it. And so that's when we found out its name is James. And that's when I knew that he and I were buds, because he made a red light go out of the Age of the Red when we asked him if I was his favorite employee. So, yeah, I'm his favorite employee. I bring him whiskey shots every now and then.
Speaker 2: That was a great story from Brian. A couple of stories actually kind of gives his own perspective. He mentioned he'd never really actually had contact with him other than with the paranormal.
Speaker 3: And he'd never seen the shadow Man, but he'd heard that he'd experienced other things, but as far as as far as hat Man, he hadn't seen him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just had the experience doing the EVP, Yeah, with the people that came out from some normal investigators. And yeah, which he's his favorite.
Speaker 3: I just got to say, so, I'm kind of I don't know. I'm kind of a skeptic on this stuff. Brian, I think is a true believer. I don't know where you are, but for me, I'm more of skeptical. So I'm looking at that video footage and I'm saying, ah, this could have happened. Or I'm listening to Esmerelda.
Speaker 2: Was that her name?
Speaker 4: I think so, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was Aesmerelda. And and you know, hearing this crash like a metal gate or great crashing down, I'm thinking, well, there's a big grate right above your head if something were to hit that hard, because they have this great that's actually part of that first level above you know, it's the first floor level, the first level floor. It's hard to explain that you've been there, but they have a section of the floor that actually a big grate.
Speaker 2: I kind of remember that, I think. And then the steps go down on that from that great area. It depends on what you mean by great noise too, you know, I know, but that's just what I think. There's like I pictured like a chain link fence, like you know, it kind of a like a clang, but that floor would never go no, but if something fell on it or somebody stomped on the edge, but if she was the only one there, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I don't know, but I'm a skeptic, so my mind goes to those things like, oh, they could be this, or could I do I.
Speaker 2: Do think Brian at least he's he's real when he's telling us about it, because oh, absolutely, he's not doing like that polished like every freaking abduction or bigfoot story. It's like, I remember I was driving down a dark road and it was three past midnight and there was two beers in my passenger seat and one beer was facing to the left and the other one was still half open from the night before, and I had one flat tire. And they always have like too much deep polished.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I agree. It's like it's been rehearsed, it's been.
Speaker 2: Told a thousand times, and it feels like Brian is just like, yeah, I remember one guy said this thing.
Speaker 3: Well it's new to him. Yeah, it's all new. And that's one thing.
Speaker 2: So as skeptical as I am, I'm not poop pooing the idea of their experiences because they're experiencing something, but my mind tries to explain them away.
Speaker 3: I try to find reasonable things that maybe could have caused those things to happen. I mean should and you know, because I go out and I'm not a ghost hunter, but I'm I'm game for experiencing and I want to know the truth. Cool, you know, I'm going all Fox Smoulder on this thing. I want to know. I want to believe, you know, But it's not happening for me yet. It's a weird deal because it has so much emotion wrapped up in these stories, and people hear stuff, they're experiencing something, they're scared, and it is burned and etched into their memories. But like, you know, even like Brian, the other Brian, my friend Brian who told his story when he was like twelve years old. Even that you think, well, he was a twelve year old kid, he was impressionable. But Brian knowing Brian, that Brian, he is not what you would call somebody who is like quick to believe those kinds of.
Speaker 2: Things, A little more skeptical and logical.
Speaker 3: He is anyway, So to hear him say that because of that experience, that when people talk about hat man or shadow people, he is quick to believe them because he has experienced something right, that means a lot to me. So that helps me think, Okay, it's not a bunch of wackos out there having these mass delusions, but something's actually taking place. So anyway, this was this was a fun kind of dive into some of the experiences for.
Speaker 2: Some of these Bonnet Milliner's Gate. Yeah, other than delicious Tuna Towers. Yeah, and we have tun it. I'm hungry right now's just go to what's santuna Towers?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a couple hours. It runs my whole train of thought.
Speaker 2: My mouth is salivating, you know, I mean salmonating, associating, I don't know. Anyway, I just think this is a really fascinating kind of little dive into this whole topic of paranormal activity and spooky things in strange places. Yeah, and it's cool that we got a connection there so we can kind of you know, maybe you get a little get some pure turn the lights off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I don't know if it's going on our listeners. Google this kind of stuff. There is so much out there. You'll find videos of of hat Man, You'll find videos of goblins and all kinds of weird stuff. Thing you want, Yeah, to me, that just makes me less likely to believe, right.
Speaker 2: Because some of it is so hokey. Yeah, it's like saturated. So maybe the ones that are more believable have all these this cloud of just around it, you know, slender Man's and yeah, all this stuff around it. So when you finally get to something that's like dang, you're kind of like, oh, that's jaded. But I already saw that camera trick, you know, right.
Speaker 3: And and what's really fun is because we are talking about several different kinds of paranormal activities or manifestations. We've got hat Man, we've got shadow people, we've got voices, you know, Brian just talked about that voice. We've got like what do they call the little light orbs, and you've got things that are moving inexplicably. There's a at Milner's Gate that was the chairs, but also the friar vat Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the videos. There's a video for those of you that haven't seen her. We haven't talked about it. I don't think there's a video. There's like two cooks in the kitchen at Milner's Gate and they're all kind of doing their thing, crepping food when cutting something up and in the security video, you can see just one of the fryer baskets in like a tray kind of starts sliding out and it just falls, bounces off the fryer and lands on the floor and the guy just kind of looks at it like, oh, there it is again the heck, and then he turns around and take his glove off, and yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Well there's that's another thing, you know that we didn't really talk about either. Brian has talked to a lot of the people that worked on the building and the reconstruction builder's gate and they all had weird experiences. Not all, but a lot of weird experiences happened, and they were communicated to Brian's like, oh yeah, we heard this thing or we saw this thing, or this thing happened, and it's weird. And so it's not just like a couple of little things. You know, there's been enough going on there that it all ties together and perks everybody's attention span up. Yeah, it ratchets up there. Viewing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're a little more their spider senses are kind of oys tingling, tingling. Yeah, so they get any little whiff of something weird or like that shadow in the corner from the car driving by even makes them jump a little because there's already.
Speaker 3: This is it or is it?
Speaker 4: James?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So so it's weird.
Speaker 2: Not that we're saying there's no chance anything's happening there, but it kind of there's like a what do they call it?
Speaker 3: An expectation.
Speaker 2: It makes me think of like that Ghostbusters clip, and he's like, mass hysteria. Yeah, you kind of just everybody build living together mass hysteria. Everything just kind of like love that line, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together mass hysteria. Kind of like that. You end up kind of feeling that energy and.
Speaker 3: Feeding off of it, and then it's always in the back of your mind, so you're if you see something or experience something, that's where your mind goes immediately. Power of suggestion. So as we go on in our next episode, we're going to talk a little more about a different kind of place, the TV hospital, and we're going to talk about different kinds of manifestations, because what we want to do after we kind of give you these strange things that happen at these strange places, we're going to talk about what are the categories of paranormal experiences. What are these things because they actually have categories. And then we're going to talk a little bit about some weird stuff like maybe exorcisms, demonic activity, that kind of stuff. We're going to talk about what else these might be. We're going to talk about is this just like kind of a psychosis that people are trained to experience and believe. And it's gonna be fine. We're gonna get a little deep, but we're also gonna make it lighthearted. We're not about you know, it's almost Christmas, so we're not trying to like ruin Christmas by reprojecting Halloween. You know, I think we missed this. We were like a month and a half too late.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: But that's okay, that's good. Maybe we'll do a strange thing about Christmas, because there's a lot of strange things about Christmas. But anyway, that's another episode. We got so many episodes. We're good, We're set. I don't know, is there anything else we need to do? Austin maybe it.
Speaker 2: Cheers out yep, Yeah, so out with the little sip of dragon's milk, Little Dragon's milk.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys for listening. If you are so inclined. Please rate us yes, give us likes. Go to our Twitter feed, Go to our Instagram feed, go to all of our feeds. Facebook like us on Facebook. We've got some cool swag that's coming out. The store is starting to come online.
Speaker 2: Keep an eye out for that. I'm sure we'll warn you when that's going. Yeah, but it's just all of them are a strange thing at whatever, so at Facebook, it's at a strange thing. On all of the apps, it's something a strange thing. So if you can remember a strange thing, if you can remember your husband, who is a strange thing, you've got it. You're kind of implying everybody has a husband out there. Okay, if you've got a girlfriend and a boyfriend or a wife or and you say, hey, a cat, a dog and they are a strange thing. A mirror that is a strange thing. Who's in the mirror looking at you? A strange thing?
Speaker 3: Right? Okay? Anyway, you guys, have a great holiday season. Hopefully we'll get one or maybe two episodes in before fingers crossed the holiday season. Until then, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, whatever, Wanza, Quanta, all of the other ones that we're missing.
Speaker 2: Quansa, Honica.
Speaker 3: We really appreciate you, guys.
Speaker 2: Quansas alright, Taters alright, Taters
Speaker 1: Hm