Speaker 1: Live from the heart of the nation's capital, this is a Jim Acosta Show special report.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome to the Jim Acosta Show. It's another day that ends in Y in Donald Trump's assault on American democracy. Here we are, roughly 68 days before the midterms. And as I've been saying on this show, Trump has started this deal when it comes to rigging and intervening in the upcoming midterm election cycle. Big guest this hour. Mike Fanone, former police officer, of course, legend, the man, the myth, the legend. Mike, good to see you, man.
Speaker 1: It's good to see you, man.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for doing this. And, you know, I think we should, there's a lot of stuff I want to get to. I want to talk about ICE and their tactics and what we've been seeing. They're ramping back up again, obviously, but we've got to jump into, you know, some of this very much in your wheelhouse. Obviously, everybody knows you were there to defend the Capitol on January 6th. And here we are coming up on, on, the biggest national elections we've had in this country since Trump, you know, one reelection got put back in the white house and he's trying to do everything possible to avoid any accountability from the voters. He's already trying to rig the mail-in voting system in this country. That is well underway. And I, you know, just curious what your thoughts are as we're getting into this midterm cycle. Cause it seems to me it's on like he's, it's the mainstream media is reporting it as sort of like, well, he might do this. And, He's, he's warning. He will do it to me. It's happening. He's already meddling with the midterms. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's one of the shortcomings of, uh, of legacy media is their inability to believe Donald Trump when he says that he's going to do something, despite, you know, at this point, a proven track record of his willingness to, um, bend, if not break the, uh, the constitution in this country. Um, You and I and many others in this space have been talking about the midterm elections and the fact that Donald Trump and this administration are gonna throw every obstacle that they can. We saw them gut through the Supreme Court ruling, the Voting Rights Act, and now they're targeting mail-in ballot. Again, these are obstacles. Americans still have the ability to cast their votes Mail-in balloting, at least at this point, is still available. But what I would suggest to everybody, we're 70 days out roughly from the midterm elections, is to plan on voting in person and to do so at the first available opportunity that you have in your jurisdiction. These are all obstacles that can be overcome. Americans just need to be cognizant of it. Civil engagement should be forefront in everybody's mind if you want to get rid of this white supremacist, Christian nationalist regime that currently occupies the White House and the federal government.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the Postal Service, they're saying as of Thursday, new requirements for mail-in voting are now in effect. This is according to The Guardian. As Donald Trump seeks to crack down on the practice, the move is expected to trigger a new round of legal challenges. And, you know, what they're trying to do is require state election leaders to submit their voter rolls for inspection, which is nutty because the Postal Service has no role in this. And the federal government is not supposed to have any role in this. States are supposed to run their elections. And obviously, all of this is because of Trump's, you know, so-called executive order on this earlier this year. But, you know, Mike, I mean, to me, the issue is, is that he's trying to grab power where it doesn't exist. He's trying to take over the elections in this country. What, like 70, like you said, 70 some odd days or less before the election. And I don't understand why the courts just don't step in. I mean, the Supreme Court's already allowing this thing to go down the legal process. And we know how he plays the court system like a fiddle. And he, you know, my concern is he's just going to try to turn this entire midterm into like a 52 car pileup. And it's not going to, it's something that we can't sort out. And they'll just say, well, we can't see the new Congress next year. I mean, these are the kinds of scenarios we have to start thinking about, seems to me.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with you. And I mean, ever since Donald Trump took office, I've been thinking about the next election cycle and what goes beyond that, because, you know, there's a lot of people who are willing to say that we've, you know, we've, we are currently in a constitutional crisis, because we still have an election to be held. And we still have an opportunity as American citizens to hold this administration accountable with our vote. And I believe that and I believe that Americans should avail themselves of that. But I agree with you, people need to be thinking about what will happen on November, what happens on November 6. What happens after they cast their vote, And the way that this administration, how are they going to address this election, which clearly is not, you know, the trajectory of the American public is not in their favor. It doesn't look good for Republicans and it shouldn't look good for Republicans in the way that they've handled governing since Donald Trump took office.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And somebody who I guess is at his side day and night is Natalie Harp. She's been in the news quite a bit. She's the staffer that prints out, I guess, glowing articles about him to keep him puffed up and happy. And she's been called the human binky and so on. And there's been a lot of discussion online that, oh, you shouldn't pick on Natalie Harp. She's just this woman who works for him and that's so misogynistic and so on. People need to understand. And we've been covering this on the show. Natalie Harp used to be an anchor on OAN, the far-right TV station OAN, doing propaganda for Donald Trump. This was around the time of the 2020 election, and she was an election denier. She just was. And she even mentioned you one time on one of her shows, and I just think maybe we should get your response to it. It's kind of a weird thing.
Speaker 4: Don Lemon brought on air Michael Fanone, a Metropolitan Police officer who testified before the January 6th Committee on to play on air a profanity-laced voicemail left allegedly by a Trump supporter, with Don Lemon asking for his reaction. Can you imagine if we just had a show and we had you come on and you could play all your voicemails, read all your tweets, all your hate mail? This is what happens in a society. And for them to do this and say, this is Trump's America.
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 4: When I look at these guys, the thought that comes into my mind is defund the police.
Speaker 1: I mean, defund the Capitol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, there's that joker talking to Natalie Hart. And we should thank Decoding Fox News. She does a great job finding these clips. And she's done a terrific job unearthing all of this Natalie Hart material. She's been an election denier for a long time. But your thoughts on the fact that she brought you up on one of her kooky shows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, listen, first of all, I think you take into consideration like who she was speaking to there. She was talking to Dinesh D'Souza. This is the guy who, you know, in 2022 put out a movie or a documentary in his mind, 2000 Mules, which was completely debunked. And he actually had to issue numerous retractions. I think he ended up getting sued over that, but I'm not exactly sure. And he also was found guilty in federal court for donating $ 20, 000 to a U.S. Senate campaign, which, you know, was deemed to be an illegal campaign contribution. So he's a convicted felon to boot. I mean, listen, I've seen that she has been involved in pushing a lot of propaganda surrounding the 2020 election and saying that the election had been stolen. OAN is not a credible news outlet. It is a propaganda network designed to push MAGA extremism at every turn. And so it doesn't surprise me that she has found her way into the inner circle of MAGA and of Trump. In preparation for this, I read the letters that she wrote to Donald Trump. I got to be honest with you, Jim, my reaction was that this is not a person who should be uh, occupying a, um, an important role within a white house administration, uh, reading those letters. Um, I mean, if, if those were written to me, uh, by a woman, uh, I'd be applying for a restraining order, not, uh, not hiring her. And so, but you know, those are the type of people that Donald Trump surrounds himself with. Um, he loves the people that, uh, that love him unconditionally. Uh, he just, you know, can't get it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: She's yeah. She's sort of like a cult follower on, on the staff, on the payroll, uh, paid for with our tax dollars. Uh, yeah, I mean, but I, you know, this is what they do and, and, and he loves this stuff. And it, when I, as soon as I saw that she had been doing all this election denialism, I thought to myself, well, that's why she has the job. I mean, people have speculated about all these other kinds of reasons. I don't know. I have no idea if that's the case or not. But if somebody talks about how he won the 2020 election over and over again, Donald Trump's going to like that person. Because because most normal people, rational people don't think that way. No.
Speaker 1: And I, I mean, I, I always question, you know, and I guess I should probably stop at this point. Um, you know, it's like, what, what do you think is going to happen after, you know, your daddy Trump is gone? What are you going to, what do you think is going to happen? I mean, you know, the Republican party, um, is eventually going to rebuild, I think, because we live in a two-party system and they are eventually going to purge themselves, maybe not of all the extremist ideology, but they're certainly going to get rid of problematic people that think that the 2020 election was stolen because it's just not good for the branding because everybody has accepted the fact, at least rational people in this country, have accepted the fact that the 2020 election was not stolen Donald Trump lost. You know, where where are people like her going to end up? Because he doesn't have very many years left.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And, you know, one of the other defining issues heading into the midterms, I think, is going to be ice. You know, Trump thinks that's that's been one of his bread and butter issues. I think it's probably one of his most toxic issues. He let Stephen Miller go apeshit with ICE and immigration in this country. And it's burned him politically. And they've been ramping up their operations. I mean, it's not covered as much in the news. It should be covered a lot more in the news. I mean, there's this one story that my team flagged for me that, and this was in the Connecticut, let's see, it's in one of the Connecticut newspapers. And it says that ICE officers have been following school busses It says for more than a year, activists in Danbury have mobilized to support the local immigrant community as ICE activity is ramped up. And it says members of immigrant rights groups and their families have helped people compile custodial paperwork to prepare for the possibility that parents could be separated from their children. This week, activists say they're facing the nightmare scenario they hoped they would never see. Massive raids have resulted in parents detained in front of their children at school bus stops. And apparently Senator Blumenthal of Connecticut has said he wants to see an investigation into this. But I mean, this is this is the kind of sick stuff that we've seen on display by ICE. I mean, they will even go to school bus stops to pick up people that they think are in the country illegally, which, you know, they're just taking their kids to school. It's pretty sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I've said all along, ever since this, you know, immigration enforcement effort began. that ICE is unaccountable to the American people, that they carry out this enforcement inhumanely and in many cases in direct violation of the courts and of the American constitution. This agency needs to be disbanded and there needs to be a full scale investigation as to the conduct of the individual agents involved in the immigration enforcement and also the supervisors and the individuals that sent them to these places to carry out that type of enforcement. It literally goes against everything that American law enforcement officers are taught to protect and to serve their communities This is not protecting their community. You know, we've seen so many times in American streets, violent confrontation between American citizens who are appalled at the behavior of these agents who are there filming them, protesting them, trying to hold them accountable. And the reaction from these agents, I mean, to say it's aggressive is the understatement of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think you and I have talked about this before, and it's still an issue. They still haven't cleaned up their act. They're still hiring these jackasses to be ICE agents, people with virtually no training. They seem like they have anger management issues, and they can't even do their jobs without flying off the handle. There was a case just in the last couple of weeks, I think it was in northern Virginia, where you and I are from, Mike, where the ICE agents were putting their gun, they're pointing their gun in the face of this lady in her car, and she's in a parking lot, and they're saying that she was trying to run them over with her car. She says, I got dash cam, bro. I got dash cam. And they had to totally back off. I'm sure you saw that case. I did.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's insane to me that, you know, and again, like no accountability, you know, no discipline, but pointing a gun at a citizen your firearm as a law enforcement officer is not a de-escalation tool. This is something that is used only in the rarest of occasions in which deadly force is authorized. And obviously, because some woman pissed you off does not necessitate using, but apparently this guy thought it was, um, you know, and I, you know, we were talking offline. I think it's worth noting, um, you know, back in January of this past of this year in Minneapolis, there was an incident involving, uh, an ice agent, um, Christian Castro.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was going to ask you about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Who pursued a Venezuelan national, uh, this Mr. Sosa Solis. Uh, and during, uh, that pursuit, The agent shot Sosa Solis through a closed door and then later lied about the encounter in official documents and in court in which he said that Sosa Solis charged him with a shovel. That was completely debunked with with camera footage, I think, from a surveillance camera or ring camera that captured the entire encounter. Now, he was indicted. And again, like right. Go back to No Kings 1, No Kings 2, all of these protests that came about because of the conduct of these ICE and CBP agents, American citizens demanding accountability. And we finally see that. This was the first ICE agent to be indicted for their conduct involved in this immigration sweep in Minneapolis. And he's arrested in Texas. He had been transferred to Texas after this incident. And Greg Abbott intervened and refused to allow him to be extradited.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, you know, that fugitive warrant expired in Texas after 90 days. And today is my understanding he was released without any other pending charges. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this is according to PBS. Christian Castro was released at the break of dawn from a detention center in Brownsville. He motioned his hand toward a few camera operators and a reporter crowding around him. quickly got a new SUV and drove off a few days earlier, a.
Speaker 3: U.S.
Speaker 2: District judge wrote in an order that said he couldn't prevent a county sheriff from releasing Castro or order Texas Governor Greg Abbott to sign the extradition warrant. And he's been charged with assault, falsely reporting a crime in the January 14th shooting of Julio Cesar Sosa Celis. And he's accused of firing a gun through the door of a home. And Mike, I mean, what makes this such an important story, it's sort of like the killings of Rene Good and Alex Preddy. There's a sense that there's no accountability with these ICE officers and what they do, that they can violate people's constitutional rights. They can kill people. And there's no accountability. There's no investigation. I mean, just the other day, Alex Preddy's family was speaking to, I think, ABC and talking about this. And I think this has a lot of people around this country really pissed off. That ICE is getting away with this. I guess Stephen Miller is saying these guys aren't to be touched. It's crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, they are immune from criminal prosecution under this administration. You know, you talk about the party of law and order and you have a political party that is intervening in criminal matters because they support the conduct of of those particular individuals because they're acting, you know, it, it, to me, it really harkens back to the pardoning of the January 6th insurrectionists.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you commit crimes on our behalf, on the administration's behalf, we will absolve you of all criminal culpability. And so now there's, you know, there is a, there's a plan that if, ICE agents commit a crime in a jurisdiction where they're willing to hold that agent accountable. They'll simply transfer them to another jurisdiction that's not willing to hold them accountable, wait till the warrant expires, and then they're free to go. And ICE can you know, transfer them around and keep them out of, you know, the long arm of the law as long as they want. And now the agents know. And so, you know, to the American people, you have a, and I use this term loosely, a law enforcement agency that's acting under the authority of the federal government in which its agents can behave however they want and they are immune from any type of accountability or criminal prosecution. And there's nothing that you can do about it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I will say, and I think this is a challenge to the media in this country. We've got to start covering ICE a whole lot more than we are right now. People seem to have backed off in their coverage. And I think it's going to ramp up again. If somehow Trump you know, gets a straight flush, gets four aces here in the midterms, and they somehow retain the House and the Senate. And there's no accountability again. There's no oversight from the Republicans once again. I think ICE is going to go wild in this country. And even if the Democrats control the House and maybe not the Senate, with Todd Blanch as the Attorney General, I think ICE will run wild in this country. And people need to understand, when Donald Trump says he wants to be on the ballot, he's been saying this lately, you know, make sure I People think of me as on the ballot. People should think of him as on the ballot. And Stephen Miller and Tom Homan and people like Greg Bovino who got the boot. But I mean, basically, it's still the same operation. ICE is on the ballot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, 100 percent. I mean, you know, listen, law enforcement, the credibility of law enforcement in this country is on the ballot. We've seen we have literally seen I mean, you talk about like every accusation is is an admission with this administration. And the fact that they have they accused the Biden administration of weaponizing law enforcement to go after American citizens. And what have they done? They have literally weaponized federal law enforcement to go after American citizens, the enemies of this administration. And they are doing it in real time and right before our very eyes. you know, that the credibility of law and order, you know, the rule of law is on the ballot, whether we are going to have, you know, real laws that everyone is accountable to, or we are just simply going to have this two tiered system of justice where people who commit crimes on behalf of this administration or who are deemed to be, you know, potentially beneficial to this administration, like we've seen with, crypto guys and all these white collar criminals that Donald Trump has pardoned and who have now found themselves in business dealings with the Trump family or whether we're going to allow law enforcement agencies to act with impunity outside of any level of accountability. The rule of law, which is the founding, that is the foundation of this country. is what's on the ballot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question. And Mike, just to kind of start wrapping things up, I've known you for a long time. I know that after January 6th, you and I got to know each other a bit more. You were deeply disappointed, obviously, when Trump got reelected, put back in the White House. I know for a while there, you kind of lost faith in democracy. And feel free to attack anything I'm saying. I'm screwing it up. But we're heading towards the midterms. We're heading towards another presidential election cycle. Your thoughts on can this country pull itself out of the ditch that it's in right now, pull itself out of the mess that it's in right now, or is it kind of uncertain in your mind? And I don't know. Is that something that you've been kicking around thinking about?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a complicated question to ask me when we're trying to wrap it up here.
Speaker 2: Well, take as much time as you need.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, like, do I believe that the American people have the ability at this particular moment? Yeah, I mean, I think that elections will take place. I feel relatively confident that they will actually take place. Do I think that there's the possibility that Donald Trump froze some 11th hour Hail Mary and tries to declare, I don't know, martial law or some insanity? Yeah, I don't think anything is off the table when it comes to him. I think my concern is that if he does meddle in the election, what are the American people willing to do to push back against that? I mean, we've seen protests that have played out and they have been, you know, we've seen massive participation, um, but we haven't seen anything sustained. You know, we, we haven't seen, um, you know, we've seen Americans, you know, react like in the, the firing of, uh, of Jimmy Kimmel, uh, and, and the reaction that we saw to, to that, but, um, we didn't see the same reaction. I mean, I know you, you had, um, her on the other day, the Washington Post reporter that was fired. To me, that, you know, listen, I love Jimmy Kimmel. He makes me laugh. You know, he plays an important role in society, but he's a satirist and she's an actual journalist. I wish it would have been in reverse. I wish that, you know, millions and millions of people would have dropped their subscription to Washington Post. I know a lot did, but it should have been everybody. And there should have been massive protests protecting free speech in this country and journalists. So it's just, I mean, listen, the American people still have the ability. It's just whether or not they're going to, you know, stand up and fight for democracy.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. I think that's where we're at right now. I really think that if he does try to screw with the election, And, you know, says he won't honor it, tries to talk to Republicans and not swearing a new Congress, any of those kinds of scenarios. I think people will take to the streets. And I think there will be I think you have thousands of people gathered outside the White House. And I think they'll demonstrate peacefully and maybe they just won't go home. I don't know. There are lots of things that can happen. But I think that I think people are getting to the point now where they they're now awake to what has happened in this country. And they've seen the way he has been totally corrupt. And the way he and his family have made all of this money while just screwing over everybody else. And ICE and everything else, I think it's all gotten people really fired up and they're ready to go and vote. The big question here is whether or not they're going to allow the results to take effect and be implemented. And we have a new Congress and that there is some kind of check on him. But I guess it all remains to be seen. But Mike, man, great to see you. Good stuff. Good talking to you. Good catching up.
Speaker 1: Likewise. Let's do it again.
Speaker 2: Let's do it again. All right. Sounds good. Thanks, Mike. Really appreciate it. And Mike is so right. It is kind of like a jump ball. We don't know what we don't know, right? We're on the dark side of the moon right now. The question is, can we get back? And a lot of that just depends on you and me. And there's lots of examples abound as to why Donald Trump should have some checks put on him as commander in chief, that there should be some oversight here in Washington that there needs to be, I mean, some kind of guardrails, some, some sort of rules of the road, somebody minding the store. He is, he is sounding more and more like an absentee landlord every day. I mean, the way that they are trying to, you know, rename Lake Ontario, this whole thing is just this, it's just the dumbest thing, but I feel like I should talk about it before we go. Because it, to me, it's, Yeah, it's bullying and it's being a pig and thumbing your nose at our friends, the Canadians and so on. All that is obnoxious and gross. But also, it's just dumb. And it's almost like he's running out of ammunition. He's running out of brain cells. He's running out of that which sort of put him and catapulted him onto the political stage, his ability to go after and make insults. And it's almost as though when he makes the insult, the response... is better than what he could have ever come up with. So for example, the Canadians are already starting, they've had enough with this. He wants to rename Lake Ontario, Lake America. And I just thought before we go, we have a little bit of fun. I guess there's some snarky Canadians who have come up with Lake Epstein. Can we show this? They're claiming, they're saying like, listen, if you want to rename Lake Ontario, we'll call it Lake Epstein. And there it is right there. There's Donald Trump. He thought he was having a good time by, you know, holding up a map with Lake Ontario crossed out and he put in Lake America, but the Canadians have crossed that out and they put Lake Epstein. And there's talk, you know, now he's saying, well, maybe we'll rename an ocean, one of the oceans, the American ocean. I mean, this stuff, it just goes to how dumb he is. And, you know, I will say that despite that, the sycophancy, The fanboy atmosphere around Donald Trump these days is totally, totally ridiculous. ridiculous. We'd like to do this thing called the Dear Leader Files every once in a while on the show. And, you know, I think it's a hoot. You know, every day there's a cabinet member beclowning himself or herself, making a fool out of himself, sucking up Donald Trump in ways that are just like they would make Kim Jong-un blush. Well, apparently, you know, Donald Trump is dead serious about putting his name back on the Kennedy Center. They're going to court, trying to get his name back on the Kennedy Center. And they're saying that if Donald Trump's name is not put back on the Kennedy Center, that they're going to demolish the building, which is totally stupid and outrageous. And and yet, I guess they had the cabinet, the commerce secretary go down to the courthouse and. and make the case about why Donald Trump's plan for renovating the Kennedy Center, and it's going to be this amazing Kennedy Center because Donald Trump's involved in it, and that justifies putting his name on the Kennedy Center right now. We should put his name up now and then renovate the Kennedy Center. There was a reporter down there saying, well, shouldn't we renovate the Kennedy Center and then maybe think about putting his name up? He's like, no, no, no, no. We will put his name on the Kennedy Center first, and then we'll renovate it. It'll be totally great. But anyway, we just listened to Howard Lutnick. Before we go, just listen to him sucking up to Donald Trump. This is unbelievable shit. It is as goofy as you could possibly imagine.
Speaker 1: And help Donald J.
Speaker 3: Trump make this the greatest building in the world because only he has the power and the expertise to renovate this building in a spectacular fashion during the next two-year period and then have a grand, grand opening and really make this building rock.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: So that's the objective.
Speaker 1: We all agree it needs to be done.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I don't understand why we're here.
Speaker 3: So I figured I'd come and explain my baffled thing of really this is what we're using the courtroom board to say it.
Speaker 2: But that's yes. Yes. We don't understand why you're at the courthouse. You're the commerce secretary. I think he's a billionaire or something like that. He's a really successful rich guy. And he has reduced himself to being one of these lapdogs. And I think the Canadians have, I think I saw the other day, instead of Lutnick, they're calling him Nutlick. I'm just quoting what other people are saying. Anyway, yes, they're calling Howard Lutnick, Howard Nutlick. I'm just pointing out that. I think that's what Doug Ford, the Ontario premier, has been saying. Just pointing out that Donald Trump used to think of himself, fashioned himself as the king of the put down, king of the insult, and rode that wave of bullshit into the White House, that obnoxiousness into the White House. Kind of getting outdone these days by our friends up north. Bravo, Canada. I hope all of our Canadian friends and our American friends have a terrific weekend. But in the meantime, still reporting from Washington, I'm Jim Acosta. I'll see you next time.