Speaker 1: Dark Cast Network indie pods with a dark Side.
Speaker 2: Have you ever wondered how in the hell did I get here?
Speaker 3: You are not alone.
Speaker 2: My podcast is called True Crime Connections with an advocacy podcast where I talk with survivors of toxic relationships, abuse of marriages. We all have one thing in common. How in that hell did we get here? And how do we get out? How do we find our self worth again? Well, if you feel that way, come check out my podcast because not only do you get actionable steps to take to help you take your life back, but you can listen to how others have dealt with their own situations including addiction, suicidal aviation, and low self worth and respect. We can get you on the right track. Make sure to check out True Crime Connections.
Speaker 3: See you.
Speaker 1: There is on his way. Devil is on his way.
Speaker 2: Devil is on his way.
Speaker 1: Mother for the Devil gonna make you pay foul to your knees. Devil is on his way. Foul to your knees.
Speaker 2: DEVI gonna make you pay five to your knees.
Speaker 3: Devil.
Speaker 1: Hey, y'all, welcome back to Mountain Murders and I'm Dylan.
Speaker 3: Did you have a nice break?
Speaker 1: Dylan I'm disappointed right now.
Speaker 3: We have a little holiday break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a little holiday break and that was great with friends from R and R with good But we need to get back to the The problem at hand at the moment is you just asked for a drink of my drink, right, and then I think you took a sup. But then you said it ends up you took a swig and nobody cleared you for taking a swig. That's like a lot you took that. That was a big drink.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, are we really having this conversation doing the difference between a sip, a SUP, a.
Speaker 1: Drink or a swig wig? Yeah, yeah, it matters.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm glad that you're breaking it down for us. I did not know there were differences or distinctions between the various forms of imbibing a beverage.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they're all easily measurable by the fluid ounce.
Speaker 3: All right, Dylan, enough of you. We've all missed you, we've missed your antics.
Speaker 1: And here we are in the studio. We're so glad to be back because we have been out and about in the world, hanging with friends, given thanks to this great country of ioas we've.
Speaker 3: Been out and about in the world, and we're glad to be back home and away from the world.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I'm just kidding. We did have a great trip out of town with some friends, very nice, relaxing, beautiful mountain views. Really makes me miss our mountain home doing.
Speaker 1: Yes, it did.
Speaker 3: Headed out on the lake, got to got to go to an old swimming hole, getting a crik.
Speaker 1: Got to go floating a crick.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm like a little fish. I dry out, so you gotta throw me in the water. Ever so often, I just gotta go float.
Speaker 1: It was lovely.
Speaker 3: I miss the cold cricks, the cold mountain creek.
Speaker 1: Water, yes, and the nice cool evening breezes. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So hopefully you guys had a great Fourth of July holiday. I know I'm prouder to be in America now than ever before. Y'all to fifty.
Speaker 1: That's right, Okay, once in a lifetime celebrated.
Speaker 3: Are you ready to get into today's case, Dylan.
Speaker 1: Yes, as soon as I run some kittens off.
Speaker 3: Okay, Before we jump into today's case, we wanted to spend a few minutes discussing something that's a bigger part of everyday life than most people well most of us really ever imagined, and it's going to be a recurring subject throughout this case.
Speaker 1: Okay, free speech, Oh, free speech.
Speaker 3: I'm a big proponent of the First Amendment. I'm a journalist by nature, I have worked in that field for many years, and so of course I'm always about First Amendment rights, freedom of speech, freedom of the press. I think it's a very important cornerstone of our nation.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I agree with you completely, and because I think without free speech, our this nation of America would look very different, right, And I think the free speech each leads to so many kind of props up many more rights, right.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yeah, yeah, I mean I think it's definitely, like probably one of the most important rights we have as a people in this country. And it seems like everywhere you look social media, the news, workplaces, schools, even around the dinner table, people are arguing over what should or shouldn't be said, who's been canceled, and where the line is between expressing an opinion and causing harm. In the United States, the First Amendment is one of the cornerstones of our constitution, as I've said before, and it protects the right to speak to express opinions, to criticize those in power, to practice religion freely, to assemble peacefully, and to petition the government. Those protections have allowed difficult conversations, social movements, and challenges to its authority throughout our country's history. And at the same time, the First Amendment doesn't mean every opinion will be popular or free from criticism, and it doesn't prevent private businesses or platforms from setting their own rules. That's an important distinction that is often lost in today's conversations. So here at Mountain Murders, we believe people can disagree without becoming enemies. We don't expect everyone listening to share our opinions, and frankly, that's part of living in a free society. Healthy debate, respectful disagreement, and the ability to hear perspectives different from our own are all part of what makes that freedom meaningful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've said it before. I don't want everyone to be exactly like me, or think like me, or always agree with me, because, for one, that would be a boring world right with no like you said, lively debate or you know, a good conversation or you know, if you're in a position to kind of you know, explain your position and also defend it with you know, facts or you know, more than just your feelings. I enjoy all that stuff, and I think that's what really makes a good, colorful societ.
Speaker 3: Whether we're talking about true crime, history or current events. Our goal isn't to tell you what to think. It's to encourage curiosity, ask questions, and have honest conversations, even when they're uncomfortable. So with that being said, Dylan, let's get into our episode because today's figure very controversial. Much like us, Dylan, he's not everyone's cup of tea.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, yeah, yeah, one star. You know, I've been wanting to give us a one star review for a while.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm glad you should sit down and pen Yeah, you're very own.
Speaker 1: I'm going and I'm gonna get somebody to post it for me.
Speaker 3: Man, people get really upset when you have an opinion they don't like. Well, I'll never understand.
Speaker 1: I'll never understand it either. Honestly, I understand. You know, we've left a bad review of a place cause we felt like other people should know what they're walking into, you know, things like that, I understand, or just carrying on and on about something. It's like, just let it go. You know, you had a bad experience, just move on, don't go back there. But some people really get invested and get really fired up.
Speaker 3: Well, part of the problem, I think is these parasocial relationships. And not to discredit anyone out there or listeners or whatever, because you spend a lot of time listening to, for example, a podcast, you do develop sort of a relationship with these hosts, even though they don't know who you are. I mean, I do it myself. You know, they are podcasts I listen to where I feel like I know a lot about these people and in some way like almost like they're my friend, but they're not. I don't know them, but they seem cool and I'd hang out with them. And you develop these like parasocial relationships. So when they say something that you don't like, it really really really sends you over the top. How dare they?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And that's not exactly healthy to develop those kinds of relationships. And I just think we all need to take a step back, sometimes a little deep breath and just agreed to disagree. You don't always have to agree. And I think a lot of times people take one conversation and somehow it morphs into another conversation completely like off subject if that makes sense. Like if you're having a conversation about accountability and then the other person's having a conversation about race, well, those are two different conversations. I'm just gonna leave it at that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, yes, and I could see the confusion arising from a situation.
Speaker 3: Like that, right, But my conversation will always be steered toward accountability. I don't care if you're green, red, purple, checkerboarded.
Speaker 1: What about them?
Speaker 3: I always want you to be accountable for your actions. That is always my number one.
Speaker 1: What about the Paisley people? So let's say, well, we have no representation in the y.
Speaker 3: I don't know about those people. Now, Larry Flint, that is who we are discussing today. Dylan Larry Flint was born on November first of nineteen forty two in Lakeville, can It was a very rural community in Magoffin County, the Appleagend region of the state, with a coal mining history and also part of the Big Sandy area. At the time, it was isolated, with only about five hundred residents.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's very that is tiny, right, I mean, it's abouts small as it gets.
Speaker 3: We joke, those are towns with like a stop light, well, I call it a wide spot in the road. Wide spot in the road exactly.
Speaker 1: And certainly not making fun of a community like that, because.
Speaker 3: We've lived in those communities ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh, there's real there's pros and cons of everything, but there's some really good pros to living in a small community like that. And for one, it tends to be a high trust community.
Speaker 3: Here's that.
Speaker 1: And what's nice about a high trust community is everyone's for the most part. You always got the bad apples or the you know, the ship birds if you will. Every community has that. Even if it's fifty people or twenty people, one of them will be an asshole. But for the most part, everyone trusts everyone else. And in public, you know, they're just They say hi, they say bye, they greet each other, they hold doors. You can leave your car running in a store, you know, convenience store, parking lote and run in right quick.
Speaker 3: The kind of place if you leave your wallet at the counter, you come back, someone has turned it in, put it behind the counter to keep it safe for you.
Speaker 1: Wallet.
Speaker 3: We're just in a very small town much like this in the mountains, and it was so nice, that small town feel. There's not a lot of traffic. Everybody's super friendly, welcoming. You go to the small town dinner, you know, this is where all the locals eat, and everybody's just kind of hanging out. They don't have to lock their car doors.
Speaker 1: Right, and it's just nice, right, it is nice.
Speaker 3: Well, that's where Larry was living until he was about nine years old. There were no paved roads around, damn. In Larry's memoir, he describes a lack of adult supervision during his childhood. His upbringing was difficult. Larry was exposed to human sexuality at a young age. He claims that at the age of nine, he fornicated with a chicken.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 3: Larry was a chicken fucker, and he's very open about this.
Speaker 1: Damn. He's a self described chicken.
Speaker 3: Fucker, self proclaimed chicken fucker. Yes. So afterward he felt guilty and vowed he would never do that type of thing again.
Speaker 1: I just don't know how you even fuck a chicken, dude, I'm trying to.
Speaker 3: He described it as being part I'm sorry. He described it as part of being hillbilly and Look, I'm a hillbilly and never once have I been a chicken fucker. Just putting it out there.
Speaker 1: No, And I don't know any chicken fuckers either.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know anybody who's ever admitted to it.
Speaker 1: I don't even know how you would do it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I have seen it in Pink Flamingos, the John Waters film Look Classic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the nastiest people alive, filthiest people filthy. Sorry.
Speaker 3: Since the town was a quote dry town, alcohol was not sold in public, there was a lot of bootlegging going on. Larry claimed he grew up around a lot of alcoholics and that just about everyone was drinking. There wasn't much to do but drink. The town was so rural, only one extore, like one store existed, a general store, and if they didn't sell it, then you probably weren't going to get it.
Speaker 1: And so in a dry town and dry community, everyone drinks that, according to Larry, So that's are pretty ironic.
Speaker 3: Well that is how the bootlegging industry took off, right right. Larry was the first of three children. His father, Larry Senior, was a sharecropper and his mother, Edith, was a homemaker. Larry had two younger siblings, Judy and Jimmy. Larry Senior served in the US Army during World War Two. When Larry was born, his father was deployed overseas in the European theater. Larry spent the first few years of his life being raised by women, his mother, his grandmother, So he definitely develops I guess what you could consider like a special relationship with these women. Okay, And despite what you think about Larry and what he chooses to do in the future, he does seem to be fairly progressive when it comes to I guess thoughts about women being free and liberated. And also, you know, he's not afraid to put them in charge, right Like, once he's in business, if he finds someone who's business savvy and oh hey, they happen to be a woman, Larry puts his complete trust in this person.
Speaker 1: You know as well he should so. But I guess what you're you're saying that him being around females, so many women growing up during his formative years kind of left a mark on him.
Speaker 3: Well, that seems to be I think Larry acknowledges that as well.
Speaker 1: In a positive way.
Speaker 3: Right that he understands women and doesn't see like he doesn't have a problem with a strong woman. I guess that's where we're going with this, and you'll see that later in the story. Magoffin was the poorest county in the nation during the Great Depression. His family lived in poverty, as did most of their friends and neighbors. In nineteen fifty one, Larry's little sister, Judy, only four at the time, passed away after battling leukemia. The death put a great strain on the parent's marriage. They did divorce a year later, And I don't think that's uncommon anytime there is a devastating loss, the loss of a child. I think a lot of couples can't get over that, right, Like, I don't know, it's like they have a really hard time reconciling what's happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I could only imagine dealing with something like that. But it does seem to many times kind of tear the people apart for whatever reason, you know, is be it blame or just can't look at the other person without thinking about the child. I mean, I don't know. It's probably just a really hard thing to go through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're very blessed that we've never experienced that kind of loss. Larry relocated to Hamlet, Indiana, where he lived with his mother. Jimmy, the younger brother, stayed in Kentucky with their maternal grandmother. About two years later, Larry returned to Kentucky to live with his father because he did not like his mother's new boyfriend. So at this point, Larry is a preteen. He has no interest in school or education. Larry's main goal is to set out on his own and earn a living. He is all about the benjamins. He does not see any benefit learning reading, writing, and arithmetic. He's ready to start earning some cash.
Speaker 1: He wants to be real world.
Speaker 3: He wants the money to roll in now. At age fifteen, in nineteen fifty eight, Larry enlisted in the United States Army. Larry was able to convince his mother to sign a consent for him. Even though the Army wouldn't take persons under seventeen, they were able to lie on Larry's birth certificate in order to push forward with the enlistment.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 3: So Larry forges some papers, gets his mom on board to sign these because he's pretty persuasive guy and off he goes fifteen years old. Well, Larry had been running away at this point, so his mother was pleased that he wanted to join the army. She felt like it was a way to keep tabs on him and at least she would know he was safe. Watched over. Yeah, while serving, Larry, along with some of his platoon, visited a brothel. Now this will be Larry's first experience in a brothel. He described it as quote cedy a CD cheap motel where the bell hop would send a girl to your room. Okay, Now Larry was a virgin at this time. When the sex worker arrived in his room, to his room, young Larry was surprised because the woman was much older. She was in her forties. And of course Larry isn't honest about it being his first encounter. I mean, he did have sex with that chicken, but it was his first time being with a human, a female, a human female, we should say, damn.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you shouldn't have to make that distinction.
Speaker 3: Right, and you know it was awkward, but he said, you know, she she knew that he even though he was acting like I'm not a virgin, she knew he was. And so therefore, you know, I guess she was gentle with young Larry. He lost his virginity to this woman. And while in the army, Larry developed a passion for playing poker, So maybe not only visiting the brothels, he liked to play poker. About seven months after this rothel visit, Larry is discharged from the US Army. He rejoins his mother in Indiana and finds employment at the Inland Manufacturing Company, which is a GM affiliate. A union led shut down leaves him laid off after only a few months.
Speaker 1: Damn it.
Speaker 3: Larry returned to the hills of eastern Kentucky. He briefly worked as a bootlegger. Larry moved in with his alcoholic bootleg and daddy. He hooked up with an old high school buddy. That friend was tasked with getting alcohol from a neighboring county and bringing over to the Dry County where they lived, and then Larry would distribute, okay, this liquor, so you know he's turning a profit. He's doing all right. When Larry learned that the law was on his tail, like they knew what he was doing, and we're around was you know, they were gonna bust him. He decided, you know, being an outlaw wasn't the endgame. He was too pretty to go to prison like. He wasn't interested in all that. So you know, it's time to make it change.
Speaker 1: So as soon as that he got turned up just a little bit, he decided he didn't want the consequences of this criminal activity, right.
Speaker 3: He wants a different life. He joined the Navy in nineteen sixty one and became a radar operator. But by that time he was twenty two. Larry was twice divorced.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, you get everything fast.
Speaker 3: He was a twice divorced sailor. First, Larry married a woman named Mary. Larry was not cut out to be a husband at this time. He had a problem with monogamy, and we'll discuss that later on. While they're married but separated, Larry starts a relationship with a woman in Dayton, Ohio named Peggy while he's on leave. He's got sure leave and he sure leaves Peggy with a good time.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: So he returns to the Navy and comes back thirteen months later. Peggy is seven months pregnant, and Larry understands that the math doesn't add up. This child belongs to another man. But Larry decides, you know, he loves Peggy and he's going to marry her anyway, Okay, so he can deal with it. The second marriage was a flop. Like Larry, Peggy also had a taste for the strange.
Speaker 1: Well, obviously, the marriage.
Speaker 3: Is plagued by infidelity and Larry he talks about chasing away multiple sailors from his home.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's like, get out here. Quit screwing my wife, dude, Yeah, go offshore.
Speaker 3: Trying to sneak in windows coming up, Quit up on the porch.
Speaker 1: It's Peggy home. Quit deploying on my wife. Cut it out. Stop no more seamen in this house. Damn it.
Speaker 3: You're getting a counseling.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna write it up the chain.
Speaker 1: I want you to stop having sex with everybody but me.
Speaker 3: Peggy became pregnant again. Their daughter, Tanya, was born in nineteen sixty five. Tanya is Larry's first biological child. Larry's mother eat It opened a bar around this time called the Kiwi Bar.
Speaker 1: Oh being the I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: The being around the Kiwi kind of changed Larry's life forever. He'd been working these factory jobs since being discharged from the Navy, and you know, he kind of likes this bar life that his mom's got going on. So he saves eighteen hundred dollars and in early nineteen sixty five, he places a down payment on his mother's business and eventually Larry will pay six thousand dollars for this bar while keeping his other job kind of on payroll during the transition. So he's kind of doing other things, but he's also trying to.
Speaker 1: Work this bar. Okay, so we got a bar.
Speaker 3: Larry renovates the business and names it Larry's Hillbilly Haven.
Speaker 1: See, you know, people's like, well, you know, you should just do like your grandpa did and start a small business with six thousand dollars. You know, well you could.
Speaker 3: Start a couple of small businesses with six grand perhaps.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, you can't buy I'm just saying the relative even though I say six thousand dollars, that was a lot of money back then.
Speaker 3: Well it was a lot of money back then.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, But I mean nowadays, that same bar, you know, probably half a million dollars, you know, five hundred, seven hundred and fifty thousand, dollars.
Speaker 3: Well, can we just say I really would love to patronize Larry's hill Billy Haven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds awesome, sounds awesome.
Speaker 3: I feel like I could wear my milleral white hat there. Let's sit right in.
Speaker 1: Pood be like Nash and niche hat.
Speaker 3: He leanked into his Appalachian roots and created a place for the blue collar workers of Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia. Larry's Bar offered country music, horseshoes, and an unpretentious place to grab a cold beer.
Speaker 1: And that's what a good beer joint is. A beer joint, baby, right, that's where you you know, the beer's cold. You know, there may be some women, it's usually mostly men. You know, the shooting pool and such a little gambling on the side or whatever. Well, it's just a good place to go hang out with buds and have a few beers. You know. The bra Patch nothing special.
Speaker 3: When I was grown up, that place was the bra patch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every town, every small community town, even in cities, you have these in neighborhoods. You know that old spot where everybody's yeah always went their dad went there. You know that kind of thing, and it's nothing. It's not fancy, and it's just is what it is. You know, no frills, no frills, no beer joint. You're gonna get, you know, three or four beer choices, you know, not be on tap, probably gonna be in a bottle. But yeah, you gotta love it.
Speaker 3: Larry's dream became a reality. He'll Billy Haven was bringing in about one thousand dollars a week in the late nineteen sixties, which by all accounts is a success. Larry was a workaholic. He would spend sixty to eighty hours a week at his business. He began using amphetamines to stay awake and was working these like twenty hour days. And that's the thing about Larry Dylan is he's no slacker. Like Larry does not mind hard work and he will put in the effort to like make shit happen, which I admire in anybody.
Speaker 1: Well, you have that kind of drive. And you see people that have a drive like that and they just keep on and on and then they end up being very successful. And I think that really is a testament to what people call the American dream.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a real, like, I guess respect for people who have that fire in their belly. And work hard and make shit happen, and don't give up and aren't afraid to go out and try to be successful and make things happen. Sometimes I wish I was a bit more motivated.
Speaker 1: No, I agree. And this is what you'll see with immigrants will come, you know, come to a country like America, and they have this drive, this passion for a better life and you know, being able to take care of their families, and they just work their ass off. You know, they get a business and they're willing to work at themselves, and you know, they don't go out to eat. They cut out tramat, cut all the corners and just keep putting everything back into the business and then you know, eventually least very successful American dream baby. And I find that admirable when when people do like that, and I think it's a really great accomplishment.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so. Larry's Hillbilly Haven was a rough place that drew many macho men who wanted to fight. You know what I say, bring back toxic masculinity. Okay, I miss I miss it. I like I like a rough and tumble, big old men. I don't even care if they're a little sexist to me. Sometimes.
Speaker 1: Well, what they did is they start they just labeled anything masculine toxic, yes, right, which is not really, it's not really.
Speaker 3: There has to be a balance between femininity and masculinity, and I don't necessarily think masculinity is a negative.
Speaker 1: No, you need both of them and they both work off of each other. Right.
Speaker 3: Multiple times a week Larry would break up fights. At times, Larry pulled a gun on patrons to the few situations. And of course Larry ended up involved in some of these fights, getting punched a bunch of times, and that's got to get old. Larry felt like, you know, I don't know if this is for me. I don't want to get punched in my nose every couple of weeks breaking up a fight.
Speaker 1: No, And you never know how violent these types of situations can get.
Speaker 3: They can get out of hand. He purchased additional bars, including Larry's Hangover Tavern you gotta love these names, and the Factory, and he kind of gradually built a nightlife empire in Dayton, Ohio. Larry described a secret to his bar's success his quote, good drinks, loud music, and some nice girls to look at.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't think Larry came up with that formula.
Speaker 3: No, but I mean, you know that's what I'm looking for when I go out to the bar, right. You know, when I was younger, I would see older people at the bar and be like, oh, that's kind of sad, and I don't want to be that person. But you know what I like going out. I like going to the bar. And if I'm that old person sitting at the bar having to drink, oh well, I'm just I'm here for it because I enjoy I like the nightlife. I like to boogie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we go out, we have a good time, right, we have enjoy it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't feel like we're too old to be out and about having a good time.
Speaker 1: No, we just go hang around other old people. Yeah, everybody goes home at eleven thirty.
Speaker 3: Look, I want you to put some whaling on the jukebox and trat and bring me a fruity gurly drink at a dive bar, a.
Speaker 1: Very cheaply priced drink.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, and we'll have a sing along.
Speaker 1: I don't know, some of these places are out of control. You know, we've tried quite a few places in the last couple of years around and various states.
Speaker 3: And city life.
Speaker 1: Some of these places are just I get overhead and you know, you got to make turn a buck, you know, I get it. But some of these prices on drinks and stuff are just they're insane.
Speaker 3: Well, I think people can't afford to go out nowadays. I mean that's a lot of why you don't see young people out and about. I mean, we grew up in the nineties and early two thousands and we went out. You know, there was a night life. Young people like to go out. They we clubbed, we went out and hung out. But it's because we we could afford to do so. You know, you could take twenty bucks in two thousand and one and go out on the town for the evening and that was plenty and plenty of money to get you where you to get your right Dylan, as they say, right, Well yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Some of these places just seem very heavily staffed. To me, that's how they got freaking you know, fifty workers at You're so like, what do you what's going on? And then I guess I know why you're charging me eighteen dollars for this mixed drink? Yeah, I mean, what do we do anyway back to the story, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's not even like you're getting some mixologists who's you know, curated this this twig of rosemary for your ice from you know, well and that's the thing the Hungarian mountaintop or something.
Speaker 1: Oh, they didn't even know what goes into and it goes in the you know, tequila sunrise. It's not dumb care anyway back to it.
Speaker 3: When Larry opened the new club, he took out a bank note for renovations. He paid the loan off sooner than expected, which kind of annoyed the bank.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, they want that interest, right.
Speaker 3: And so I guess maybe they were being some type of way to Larry, because he's hilarious by the way, and he's very petty, and I love these qualities about him. Okay, so he trolls the bank. Larry bought twenty wheelbarrows with enough pennies to pay off the loan. He rolled the wheelbarrows into the bank scantily. Clyde dancers helped Larry bring this parade of coins into the bank, causing quite a spectacle.
Speaker 1: I've heard tell of people doing things like this.
Speaker 3: Right, So Larry wanted to offer more to patrons, and after hearing about go go clubs out west, Larry decided to open the first hustler club in Dayton, Ohio. That club featured topless dancers. It was also like a new kind of higher end type of bar. He was hoping to draw a different type of crowded then perhaps the hill billy haven. Right, so he's thinking businessmen traveling, pocket full of money, expense accounts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's yeah, it's a different, different class of clientele, and I guess his hope is to kind of get rid of some of the rough and tumble.
Speaker 3: Well, as you can imagine, this publicity stunt definitely garnered media attention, which was really good for this new club he opened. During the penny stunt, people gathered to watch and take photographs. It was a big deal and lots of people in town thought it was funny nice. They didn't mind seeing, you know, women in sexy neglar jes rolling in Wilbarrow's full of pennies to the bank.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Larry set his club apart by training the female employees to focus their attention on the guy who was quote a little older, fatter, balder, or maybe smelled. The guy who wasn't getting attention or would otherwise be ignored by beautiful women in public. Larry knew that these guys who would be, you know, patronizing the club had money. Again, they often have these expense accounts through work. So Larry instructed his female employees to always be pleasant and optimistic, never complain or like be negative in any way, and to try and give these guys a little extra attention that they otherwise would not receive.
Speaker 1: Okay, now did this work? Well?
Speaker 3: Of course it worked. Dylan. Let me escort you to the ATM.
Speaker 1: Sir, Wait, that's what you've been doing to me.
Speaker 3: You're the most special man in the world. I don't smell and me your patrick.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 3: It works out.
Speaker 1: It does work out.
Speaker 3: I'm more responsible with money most of the time.
Speaker 1: You are, and then I can just get money back from you.
Speaker 3: Give you an allowance. It's okay. Larry knew that many of his clients were married men who were looking for something different, just to escape, if you will, from married life. So he told the women his employees dress up, look beautiful, you know, just look your best and don't nagmen because they get plenty of that at home.
Speaker 1: So basically be fake.
Speaker 3: Let me escort you to the ATM. You are my new favorite person. Please come back and see me anytime.
Speaker 1: See I think this.
Speaker 3: You want a conversation that's gonna start at sixty five dollars and up, and it's just their job.
Speaker 1: I get it, and it works. You know, a lot of guys are into that. But like the fakeness at strip club because I know you're not into me, you know what I mean, I know it, and I think that's what would always kind of turn me off if I am of the whole thing is just yeah, I know it's all bullshit.
Speaker 3: I'm in love with stripper. Between nineteen sixty eight and nineteen seventy one, Larry open Hustler clubs throughout Ohio. In nineteen seventy one, Larry met Althea Lzure.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, Althea leisure Lazure.
Speaker 3: I like it, Lizure.
Speaker 1: She sounds fancy. Well.
Speaker 3: She was a woman who had become a very important part of his life. She was dancing at his bar, and Larry thought she looked a little too young. Turns out Althea had borrowed a play from Larry's book. Her mother had quote signed a form so she could work at the club. So she forged her own fake paperwork to get a job dancing at Larry's club.
Speaker 1: And she is indeed too young to be dancing in the club.
Speaker 3: Larry called her into his office with plans to fire Althea. She explained to Larry that she was nineteen and handed him an id. Larry could easily see it was a fake. He asked how old she really was. At first, Althea said eighteen, then she finally admitted she was only seventeen years old. Larry was unsure about keeping Althea on staff, but she told him her life story and the pair ended up getting to know he each other like really well and like Larry, Althea had a very troubled childhood, so it's like, I guess, Larry in some ways kind of well, he felt like she was a kindred spirit, right, but he also took pity on her because he knew what it's like to come from nothing, so he felt like, well, you know, maybe I.
Speaker 1: Should not fire her, right, he took pity on her.
Speaker 3: Let's talk a little bit about Althea because, like I say, she's a pretty important part of Larry's life, and she'll be an important part of this story.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: Althea was born in Marietta, Ohio, in nineteen fifty three. At nine years old, Althea's father killed her mother, her mother's friend, and her grandmother and then himself.
Speaker 1: Damn so murdered, you know, triple triple murderer suicide.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Althea lost every adult in her life. Her entire world is just taken out.
Speaker 1: Damn. That's terrible.
Speaker 3: It's very sad. So Althea was sent to a religious based orphanage run by nuns. She alleged that these various homes were rampant with sexual abuse, and that she was sexually abused and molested by the nuns.
Speaker 1: So she has this devastating thing happened in her life, just turns her whole world upside down. And all she needs is someone to you know, protect her, help her along. And she gets exposed to something like that. And there's so many people's stories is this very thing, and it's what's so terrible about uh, I mean, gosh, foster, the foster system, all that state homes. It's just I don't think there's ever been any of those places I've heard about where they said no, every kid was here, was taken care of and nobody was abused.
Speaker 3: Well, predators will always be attracted.
Speaker 1: To the vulnerable, right of course, and.
Speaker 3: Sadly that is just I guess, the way the world works. But we really do need to do a better job of protecting innocent children, the elderly. You know, we just you know, I feel like we don't. We don't take care of our most vulnerable in society.
Speaker 1: You know, you reckond They could figure out some kind of a test to like along the lines of a lie detector, but just to be able to tell if you're attracted to freaking young people or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or maybe just have some accountability in these positions instead of just like moving these religious leaders from church to church to hide them.
Speaker 1: Don't get me.
Speaker 3: I' always about accountability, and I think that's a lot of what's missing in these situations.
Speaker 1: Here's an idea death sentence the first time you blest a kid, Well, there's that, and like that happens in six months from then. That might slow people down anyway.
Speaker 3: Althea moved to Florida to stay with an aunt. She was finally free from the nuns, but after a while she was sent to another abusive group home. She ended up like running away and living with a boyfriend for a while. At sixteen, she was taken into juvenile hall for running away, but she just felt like she didn't have any other options and at least like shacking up with some guy made her feel a little safer than being in these homes where she's repeatedly abused. Right, Althea was dabbling in drugs and making poor choices. After being released from juvie, Althea lived with a sister for a bit. After a series of unstable and failled homes, Althea was able to become an emancipated miner. She got a place to live, but had to take care of herself, so she needs work. That's why she came to Larry's club in order to make ends meet. She knew she would not be able to make that kind of money that fast to sustain herself, like doing anything else. Right, and she's young and she doesn't have the education, she doesn't have any work skills. Larry allows her to stay and he grows to trust Althea. She was whip smart and savvy, and Mary put her in charge of the other girls at the Columbus club. So she eventually becomes kind of like the manager the din mother, if you will, at this club. Yeah, she's like managing the females and making sure all the women have what they need, the dressing rooms are clean, you know that kind of thing. Althea impressed him, and after seeing how excellent a manager she was, Larry promoted her to be like head din Mother, so she would oversee all the girls across all the clubs he owned. And I say girls women, you know, well, yeah, all the ladies. Althea, it turned out, had a knack for business and great instincts. She was also like just this really cool chick. She was fun to be around, clever as hell. I mean she's the type of woman that, like you just want to be friends with, Like men, women, everybody is just like attracted to her because she's got this magnetic personality and she's so like cool.
Speaker 1: She sounds awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, I mean he does sound awesome.
Speaker 1: So it didn't take long.
Speaker 3: For Larry to fall head over heels in love with her. So Althea's got Larry wrapped around her little finger. Larry had never met a woman like her before, and he was just enchanted. They had become best friends and business partners. Larry wanted more. He told Althea that she was the love of his life. But Larry also said, I cannot be sexually exclusive with you, like I have this monogamy problem. I'm absolutely in love with you, like you're my soulmate. I want to be with you for the rest of my life. But I want you to know I'm a cheater.
Speaker 1: What do you think he was a secthatic?
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe, I mean, I don't know, but you know, Althea was like, okay. She accepted this, and the pair went on to have a real relationship. And part of this was because Althea was openly bisexual. She made no bones about her desire to sleep with women. Larry wasn't into monogamy, and neither was Althea. They had really found their perfect match with each other. Althinka didn't sleep with other men, so she would only sleep with women, and Larry was allowed to sleep with women too, And they're both involved in this lifestyle and it works for them and they're really in love. So I mean, Larry's like, you know, this is a beautiful relationship we have and it may look strange from the outside and people don't understand it, but like, this works for us, we're in this together.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, in that relationship like that, everybody wants to judge, and well I'd never then that's fine. Well it's not for everybody, it's not for you, but and I think it only works if you're upfront and honest in the very beginning, and that everybody kind of sticks to whatever rules you put into place. But hey, if it works for them, who am I to judge? Right?
Speaker 3: Exactly, live your life. By nineteen seventy two, Larry's clubs were offering membership accounts. Larry created a newsletter that was mailed to members. Initially Dylan. It was like a black and white UH newsletters, about four pages. It featured short articles photos of the dancers. The Hustler newsletter became very popular. People who weren't members sought out the newsletter and people were starting to ask can I subscribe?
Speaker 1: So it just started as a newsletter as a newsletter.
Speaker 3: With the newsletter soaring in popularity and demand, Larry moved to make the publication twenty four pages with colored images. Larry shortened the name to just Hustler and honestly, I think it's a great name.
Speaker 1: You think it's a great name.
Speaker 3: I think it's a great name. Yeah, for a adult magazine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great better than Jugs, right, big Booties.
Speaker 3: After a while, Larry wanted to build Hustler into a national men's magazine like Playboy.
Speaker 1: I think Jugs is a great name too.
Speaker 3: My personal favorite is balls Balls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that really one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, some saggy balls. It's just I love when.
Speaker 3: They do the middle aged man edition.
Speaker 1: Is that real in their forties? That's not real. That's not a show, that's not a book. That's not a magazine either. You're making it up.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Balls, Balls, it's a beautiful.
Speaker 3: Thing, Dylan, it's not. Men's magazines have existed for well over a century, but the modern quote lifestyle magazine for men didn't really take shape until the nineteen fifties. These publications combined articles on like politics, literature, fashion, humor, interviews, and culture, featuring you know, photography of attractive women throughout, you know, pepper throughout the magazine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you know, it's funny because some of these magazines were renowned for their articles. I know, they really were it was a big deal.
Speaker 3: Well, I know we're going to talk about that. So Playboy was founded by Hugh Hefner in Chicago. It debuted in December of nineteen fifty three with an iconic cover featuring Marilyn Monroe. Playboy became just as famous for its articles, Dylan. They would get popular writers, journalists, celebrities to write pieces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be big, big time review.
Speaker 3: I mean Playboy. You know, they interviewed Jimmy Carter. You would get all kinds of information.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they would in these articles, drop these big articles that would have people talking, you know, on various topics.
Speaker 3: Another popular magazine competing with Playboy in the nineteen fifties was Cavalier. It attracted many well known writers who became popular in the night eighteen sixties. So a lot of these writers got their start Cavalier magazine.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of this one, or perhaps.
Speaker 3: Playboy, and then they, you know, would move on to becoming published authors fiction that type of thing. Flint's publishing prospects were not good. After being passed around among several media like businessmen, he was introduced to a guy named Ron Fenton. Fenton published a magazine called Gallery, which was known as the Quote working Man's Esquire. Oh Fenton offered Larry a ten percent stake in Gallery Magazine in exchange for a fifty thousand dollars loan. Larry became co publisher of Gallery, but unfortunately, Gallery Magazine's finances were not great. It was shut down just a few months later, and by then Larry was in debt. However, Ron Finton saw a lucrative opportunity with Larry. They decided to start a new magazine. Larry purchased Playboys to see what these other men's matter magazines were doing. While coming through the pages, Larry saw these beautiful, like airbrushed women. And of course Larry likes TNA right, we all do, don't we. But he was like, you know, he needed a little something more. He was like, where's the badge?
Speaker 1: Well, he needed what he was looking for as a way to make his magazine stand out, I think, and he noticed, along with everyone else, I'm sure that Playboy was very artful. And how would you describe it?
Speaker 4: Clean, tasteful moods, tasteful moods, very highly polished, like you said, curated y yes, and well.
Speaker 3: These women look very much like fashion models. They're dressed, you know, loosely using the term dressed, but you know they might be dressed in you know, like an expensive pearl necklace and some sexy garter belts or something. Lighting and yeah, and they you know, very soft lighting and they look like a model. And Larry was like, yeah, that's great and all, but I see your bush, but I want to see, like what's under the bush. He wants to see under the hood. Larry is a man who needs to see some labia. He also felt that Playboy in Penthouse catered to a certain demographic of men, kind of upper crust and pretentious, and Larry, a man of the people, wanted something geared toward the working man, a magazine that blue collar guys would find interesting. Larry's gonna stay true to his roots, and you know, I love that about him. The working man needs a little something too, Dylan, and Larry thinks the working man needs to see some spread eagle shots in.
Speaker 1: Big, full color, honestly, you know.
Speaker 3: In centerfold, taking up the whole page.
Speaker 1: I was very shocked, almost shocked by the differences, you know, as a as a very young man being exposed to these magazines. Playboy was great. But then you see something like Hustler and you're just like, oh my god. Like I mean, they're certainly different styles, for sure.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I've ever seen a Hustler magazine. Maybe I don't know if I've ever actually seen a Hustler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see the way I'm sitting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, you give me an eyeful every day.
Speaker 1: Take a picture of that. Imagine that with no shorts on.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I keep telling you to do an OnlyFans, but and do.
Speaker 1: A up close shot.
Speaker 3: Perfect for Balls magazine.
Speaker 1: It is. They're pushed forward right now.
Speaker 3: Just stop. No one cares. Doe.
Speaker 1: You're the one that keeps bringing up Balls magazine.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to get a little something for the ladies and the gentleman now. The first this s issue of Hustler magazine dropped in July nineteen seventy four. Hustler was intentionally more provocative and blue collar if you will, Flint wanted to shock readers. The magazine featured explicit nude photography, satire, cartoons, opinion pieces, and advertisements. Claim sorry, advertisements aimed at working classmen. I'm not sure what that means. What kind of advertisements would be aimed at them. Maybe not Brooks Brothers.
Speaker 1: Hey, you want some shocks that don't fall down?
Speaker 3: How about some Walt tools in this magazine.
Speaker 1: We'll come down to the stand up sock store and get you a pair today. These stocks will never fall down, all right, the stand up sock store.
Speaker 3: No Brooks Brothers. Wow, yeah, Brooks who Larry employed OUTTHEA as the executive editor. She oversaw the content and she would approve the work before it got to Larry, who had final say. ALTHEA knew what Larry liked, but she also brought a woman's perspective, which he liked. That right, So even though like he wants it to be very explicit, ALTHEA is helping steer him toward Yeah, you can have that, but still have the women be tasteful.
Speaker 1: Somebody be sexy.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have to be trashy. They can still be beautiful.
Speaker 1: And right without being grossed.
Speaker 3: Right. I guess that's what you could say. Larry is progressive, Like I said, at a time when women were still underestimated. I mean, he's got al THEA like running this magazine, which was unheard of, Like most of these men's magazines did not have a female on staff right right. The November nineteen seventy four issue featured a model spread eagle, revealing something more than other magazines were offering at the time. From then on, Larry wanted photos that were more explicit. The magazine sold one hundred and sixty thousand copies, which was respectable but no a spectacular debut. The early issues did not make Hustler and overnight success. The February nineteen seventy five issue was controversial and retailers refused to carry it because it was very explicit, and they were like, yeah, we can't sell this center our stores. Larry is struggling to hang on. He's failed to pay his taxes, trying to keep this magazine going. He's like putting all of his money into this magazine, and though he's making money from the clubs and whatnot, it's just going right out the door to keep the lights on and to keep this thing running.
Speaker 1: Well, it makes you wonder why he even went on this venture in the first place, you know what I mean. I mean, he's had this string of clubs, sounds very successful, making plenty of money, and now he's pouring everything he has into this magazine.
Speaker 3: He had a vision. Dylan, Okay, he knew what the working man wanted.
Speaker 1: I tried to throw something on the floor.
Speaker 3: A workingman won't beaver shots, dyling.
Speaker 1: Make or picture them up off floor. But what she don't knows? You got camera, take a picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get a picture of that, butthole.
Speaker 1: I won't see that butthole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, it's now.
Speaker 1: Maker pick it up, Larry making maker pick it up.
Speaker 3: You're gross, Larry, Now stop doing that voice to take a picture. You're making me sick. My camera stop, You're fired. The magazine's breakthrough came in August of nineteen seventy five, when Flint purchased and published unauthorized nude paparazzi photos of none other than Jackie Kennedy O Nassas Damn. The issue sold around one million copies and propelled the magazine into a major national publication. By now, Larry is a millionaire. He's managed to pay off those taxes, Dylan, It sold out. The Governor of Ohio was even seen buying a copy of the Jackie O edition, which you know is candalist.
Speaker 1: At the time, everybody's trying to see her.
Speaker 3: Everybody wants to see the first lady in the buff. You know, some other folks out there thought it was really tasteless, like how could you do that to our first lady. But Larry's like, you know, she wants to be naked on the French riviera. We're gonna publish it. We all want to see her naked.
Speaker 1: Oh that's where she was.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it was like vacation photos.
Speaker 1: It was like a nude beach or something. Okay, it wasn't like Taylor photo lends into her residence or anything.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: One thing about Hustler was that Larry wanted real women, not necessarily models, for the magazine. While Playboy offered a very glam version of the Girl next Door, Larry truly wanted the girl next door in his magazine. He said, quote, I wanted to offend everyone on an equal opportunity basis, but he really does kind of like the like the girl next door. Look, he does. You know, they don't necessarily have to have cosmetic surgery, they don't have to have breast implants, they don't have to be airbrushed. He likes real natural women, you know, if they've got a little bit of a stretch mark. He doesn't care well, and.
Speaker 1: Men don't care like that about things like that. Well, that's what I hear, and it is true. What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: I like a woman with a little bit of meat own her, maybe a stretch mark or two. Okay, we can our stretch marks together.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I like them.
Speaker 1: I lick stretch marks and scars. I don't care.
Speaker 3: You need to stop. This is a very explicit episode with Horny over there.
Speaker 1: I've turned myself in.
Speaker 3: Well that's not hard to do. I think the sound of your own voice turns you on. With the magazine selling in like high volume, Larry needs to find a press. The Dayton Press Incorporated agreed to print Hustler magazine. The Baptist Church in Dayton, Ohio was unhappy with this decision. Reverend Griffin of Dayton called the magazine quote pornographic in blewed the Great Dayton Association of Southern Baptists and an angry letter to the press. However, the Dayton Press was making a lot of money from Hustler. They wanted that money to keep rolling in. At the time, Hustler was the fastest growing magazine in the country, so they're like, well, you know, we get you're not happy, Preacher Griffin, but we're gonna we're gonna keep on making money.
Speaker 1: Well, And you see this a lot, especially when it comes to people's something they feel is morally wrong. Exactly, they just assume that everyone else should have those same morals that they do. And yeah, I mean, I guess you can't really blame the Dayton Press. It's a lucrative business relationship for them. And as long as it's you know, meeting the letter of the law, I guess of what can be published, then who are they to say anything about it?
Speaker 3: Larry and Althea moved into an affluent neighborhood in Columbus, Ohio. Larry's home featured six bedrooms, a library, a projection room, a wine cellar, two basement recreation rooms, a huge party room with a waterfall and a koy pond. Larry renovated the place, adding a sauna and a steam room. He also added my favorite, Dylan, a heart shaped tub for two in the master suite.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 3: I want a heart shaped tub and.
Speaker 1: A vibrating bed. Oh man, I.
Speaker 3: Wish we need to find one of those old hotels in the Poconos with the heart shaped bed or the heart shaped vibrating bed and the heart shaped tub. I've seen those heart shaped beds too, Yeah, some of those really romantic spots from the seventies.
Speaker 1: The themed rooms.
Speaker 3: Man, Why we've gotten away from this type of fun. We as a society, we're not fun anymore. We used to have a little bit of whimsy. Right, you would have a gas station shaped like a dinosaur.
Speaker 1: Right, everything's the same.
Speaker 3: Now you would go stay in like the you know, the Poseidon room where there's like, you know, a big mural and some clamshells painted on the.
Speaker 1: Walls or whatever. We've lost our way we have.
Speaker 3: We need to bring back fun again. We're all such stick in the MUDs nowadays. I just want to go stay in your white hotel room with the white sheets and the white comforter.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, that's so you can see, if you can see if something's on them.
Speaker 3: Not me. I want to stay in the like King Arthur suite where there might be a torture device in the corner.
Speaker 1: Oh, you want to be pulling on that sword all night, It's true, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Release excalib Larry added bulletproof glass to all the windows. He even built a replica of what he called a hillbilly cabin. In the basement of the home, he installed a three foot chicken statue.
Speaker 1: In honor of his first law.
Speaker 3: In honor of his first love, Yes stillan. Larry's house was located at thirty one South Columbia Avenue in the suburb of Bexley. It was eight thousand square feet, so big ass house. But the neighbors are not pleased. They looked down on Larry as a smut peddler. And you know, new money, the new voreche, and new money isn't as good as old money, right, that's what they say. Larry had wealth, but he did not have these social status or like pedigree that often comes with old money. Right. The residents were Ruetilary and Athum. The Columbus Monthly's cover featured Larry with the headline Hustler goes to Bexley. Local residents were panicked that he would turn the historic mansion into a playboy like, playboy style party house. One of the biggest points of friction was that the home set across from the Columbus School for Girls, A never complained to Time magazine saying Flint might start handing out lollipops to young girls. So Flint responded with, I'll probably be out there on the first day of school giving them out. That's how I get my kicks end quote.
Speaker 1: So they're this is often done. They're equating consenting adults sex work with pedophilia. Yes, when they're two. They're not mutually exclusive. They're two separate things.
Speaker 3: Well, and they're they're basically saying, like, because you do this for a living, this is what you do at.
Speaker 1: Home, right, Like, yeah, I know, And just.
Speaker 3: Because he and Althia have this publication, they actually when they're home live a very quiet life. Ultimately, the neighbors spheres of orgies and NonStop parties were unfounded because again, Larry and Althea are quiet neighbors. They don't have big parties. They like staying at home. They're quiet, respectful neighbors, just doing their own thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I gotta imagine neighborhood like this. These you know, seven eight ten thousand square foot homes are probably on a fairly sizable lot, So it's not like you're right on top of your neighbor, you know what I mean? They have to, and they oftentimes come with their own kind of building privacy the way they're designed, and for this very reason, you don't want to see your neighbors every time you walk out the door, so it would probably be hard to even bug somebody in a setting like that.
Speaker 3: In the summer of nineteen seventy six, Larry was charged with pandering, absent and organized crime in Cincinnati, Ohio. He was charged along with his brother Jimmy, and a guy named al Van shaik Now. At the time, Ohio treated corporations as people. Organized crime was defined as five or more people committing a crime together for profit. Cincinnati had developed a reputation during this period as one of the nation's most aggressive cities in prosecuting obscenity. Prosecutor Simon Lees made anti pornography enforcement a central part of his office's work in targeted magazines, bookstores, and adult movie theaters. Larry's trial lasted about five weeks. Prosecutors argued that multiple issues of Hustler published between July nineteen seventy five in May of nineteen seventy six met Ohio's definition of obscenity. The defense countered that the prosecution violated Larry's First Amendment rights and that the organized crime charge was an improper attempt to punish protected expression. In February of nineteen seventy seven, a jury convicted Flint. ALTHEA and Jimmy were acquitted, along with then Shake, the company executive. Larry was sentenced to seven to twenty five years in prison for the organized crime conviction. A concurrent six month prison sentence was imposed for obscenity. Flint served only six days in jail before being released on appeal. And in the end, the convictions did not stand well.
Speaker 1: No, because they were obviously just convicting him of being Larry Flint for the most part, and they don't like what he does, and that's never going to hold up. And I'm surprised it was resolved that quickly, though he could have been in jail a lot longer.
Speaker 3: The Cincinnati prosecution became a defining moment in Larry Flint's career. It transformed him from a controversial publisher into a national figure associated with First Amendment rights. And this is where we are going to end part one.
Speaker 1: Okay, for the day. Now, I've learned so much about Larry Flint.
Speaker 3: You have, Yeah, there were things you didn't know.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I didn't know very much about his humble beginnings and coming from that kind of poverty and stuff. So it's very interesting.
Speaker 3: It is very interesting. Did you ever watch the film The People Versus Larry Flint?
Speaker 1: I have not. Is that Woody Harrelson Larry Flint?
Speaker 3: You've never seen it? No, we have to screen this film, Dylan. It's a great movie. Okay, I think it's really well done.
Speaker 1: We can watch.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're gonna. I can't believe you've never seen The People Versus Larry Flint.
Speaker 1: No, but this is I did know that he was, you know, real big about First Amendment Amendment rights and stuff like that, and that every time someone tried to, you know, go after him or pornography, he always steered it back to it being a first First Amendment protected right of his to do what he's doing. And he seems to always be right.
Speaker 3: All right, Dylan, we're gonna wrap things up. We will be back with part two next week, and we promise we've got a midweek coming out as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do. We are on the other side of the holiday fourth of July week.
Speaker 3: Thanks for letting us take a little break yes, and we.
Speaker 1: Hope you have enjoyed your Fourth of July weekend.
Speaker 3: We hope you're having an amazing summer.
Speaker 1: We do.
Speaker 3: I want it to be the summer of fun for everyone.
Speaker 1: May your drinks always be cold and your headphones always charged yeah.
Speaker 3: May your sunscreen bottle always be full, yeah and flowing.
Speaker 1: May your latter never run out of peyutane.
Speaker 3: There you go, Yes, exactly all right, sir Grill. Always have charcoal.
Speaker 1: Until next time. We will catch you later, I guess. By Dylan by