Speaker 1: Hi, I'm your host, doctor Lori, and welcome to Universally Unique, Exploring the neurodiverse world of the extraordinary. This podcast foster's curiosity and understanding about neurodiversity while empowering individuals with tools for acceptance and inclusion in classrooms, the workplace, and communities. Featuring shared stories of neurodiverse life experiences, it sheds light on navigating a world not designed for diversity. Universally Unique starts now. Hi, this is doctor Lori. Welcome to Universally Unique. My guest today is doctor Ethan Margolis, and he is going to take us through his journey as an individual who is neurodiverse and probably a little mixed in with some of his professional experiences, and I think kind of bounce off of that. But before we get started, we're going to take three box breaths. I'll count us through those, and then we'll hear Ethan's story. So we'll start. We'll breathe in for four, hold for four, breathe out for four, hold for four, and start again. So breathe inn two three four, hold two three four. Breathe out two three four, hold two three four. Breathe in two three four hold two three four, breathe out two three four, Hold two three four, breathe in two three four, hold two three four, breathe out two three four, hold two three four, and a nice side at the end. All right, So, doctor Marcolis, is it okay?
Speaker 2: If I call you Ethan, I'd prefer that, Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: So if you would maybe give us a little overview of your journey as an individual who is neurodiverse. I think pieces of it are probably shorter and longer than others. But if you would take us through kind of when you got a diagnosis, how that worked out, and where that's kind of brought you to.
Speaker 2: Sure. First things first, I began my career in a small private elementary school KA eight. It was called Buckingham Friends' School, so it was the whole school had Mike graduating class from eighth grade, had fifteen students in it. It was one of those places where we learned Latin, we learned Greek, we learned French. We had a whole day. Thursdays were spent cleaning the property. It was when we did science classes. We went down to the creek when we wanted geography. There was always somebody in the community who had lived in a particular place or knew somebody in a particular place, and they would come in and we would learn through them. So it was a lot of hands on exploration. Every single morning started out with a journaling exercise, and it was what we had done the previous day, what we'd learned from it, and what our goals were for today. I was a unique experience because I didn't realize that I had any anything that was different than anybody else, because the whole place was geared around the idea that everybody was a unique thinker and learner and a lot of there was no rote memory involved in the whole process. It was all a lot of questions, and so everything always started out with a question and everything usually went from there. So that was I spent my first eight years in school there, and I knew everybody in the school, and everybody knew me because it was a small school. When I reached high school age, my parents were starting to save for my sister gone off the cop was going off to college. I was going to be next in a few years, and then my brother. So they decided it was time for me to go to public school. So I went from a school where there were fifteen kids in my graduating class to my to a regional high school where there are three hundred kids in my freshman class.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of a shock.
Speaker 2: It was. To say it was a culture shock was the understatement of the week. It was. I mean people were moving from We didn't move from. We moved when I was in elementary school. We moved to different buildings where things were going on, but we didn't really change classes in the formal sense of changing classes. Suddenly I was changing classes. I was using a locker, I was doing stuff that I had never done before, and I didn't get it. I didn't understand the culture. I didn't understand the process. I suddenly went from a place where everything started out with every morning started out with journaling, every day ended up with journaling, to a place where it was all wrote memory. So every single teacher would ask you'd have to memorize all these things. I had never done that because in the past, but didn't make connections. We didn't learn it. So everything was designed to make connections, and so I would ask questions like why are we learning this, and they would say, you've got a problem.
Speaker 1: It generally cheapers don't like students like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was so very and why why did you just fail this test? Don't you? Aren't you studying? I didn't know how to study because I had never had to study it, just learned. So it was a unique experience in the sense that so my freshman year, my mother was absolutely beside herself. She didn't know what to do. So she took me and I had They evaluated me, and they decided I had ADHD, which I knew I had a d D, you know, DHD most of my life because it was one of those people who just never sat anywhere, always was moving and finding things and fought in a different way than most people did. And I didn't realize that until I got to high school and I would see connections that other people didn't see, and they would question and why I'd made that connection, and it wasn't in the books, so therefore it wasn't right. So it took a while for me to realize that. I mean, four years of high school were probably the most stressful time in my life. I mean, it's stressful for any kid to go through puberty and go through all that. For me, it was doubly stressful because I just didn't figure it all out. I finally started getting it, like my senior year, you know, I would get things like, well, he did well in the test, but he didn't do it. He hasn't turned into any homework well, because I didn't see any sense in doing the homework because I already understood what was going on, So why should I be doing something that I didn't need to do. So I would have arguments with the teacher and they would explain to me that that's the way it worked here, that you do your homework and then and homework is part of your grade. And I would ask, why is it part of my grade? If I if you're going to evaluate me on a test, just let me learn this stuff and I'll come back and tell you. So I was probably going to spend another year as a senior, except I went in and my mother came in and she had a conversation with the with the with my physics teacher who was going to fail me, and she said, what happens if let's he learns differently than other people do? What happens if you if I if you give me him the book, let him go home? And not turn in your homework and take the test. If he takes the test and he fails it, then you can fail him. If he takes a test and he passes it, then you then you'll agree to give him a passing grade. And he said, in no way and whatever that he's going to pass it. Sure, why not? What I got to lose? So I went home, I took the book, I read it. I came back. I got the second highest grade on the test. This was the final, so he had to give me. He said, well, I'm going to give you a D. And I said, wait a minute. Everybody else who got this grade got and a Oh come, I'm getting a D. Well, you never turned into any homework, I said, you already, So I said you He said, you are You can't possibly get an I said, but I passed the test. And that's how you said you determined it because it was you know, I was in New Jersey, so they weren't region's tests. They were, but it was a state test. So I said, I did really well on it, and he said, so we we negotiated to a BEE. So I got. I graduated high school anyway.
Speaker 1: But your mother was so smart though.
Speaker 2: That was not It was was how do I inscribe her. She was not a nurturing individual, but she was tiger mother for her kids. So she went to bat for all of our kids. But don't expect. Always expected you're going to get a kind word out of her, but you're going to get support where you need it. Both of my parents were that way. I mean they were they were care They loved their children, but they didn't know they It wasn't a huggy relationship. It was you know, you can do it. And my father was a farmer, so I mean it was just like, you do the stuff you need to do. When you get it done, you get the job done. So if somebody's showing up at ten o'clock, you're there at nine forty two, so there's no question. So there were skills that he gave me that really helped me because normally what I would do is wait till the last minute and score around with it and then get it done. That only works a little bit of the time. It didn't work, and I didn't realize until I went to college. So I went off to college and went to the Regity of Pittsburgh for my freshman year, and I just abot failed out. And why I did was because they said you don't have to go to class, so I didn't go to class. They said you can read this stuff and you can come and take the test. I did that, and it didn't work for me because I did need to be a class and I didn't realize it. So while I was there, I realized the first thing I was going in to be an engineer, and there's no way in God's green earth I was going to be an engineer. But I liked the stuff and I thought, Okay, this is interesting. I can do this. And I came away realizing that wasn't me. So I transferred to schools. I went to Fairley Dickinson, which is in New Jersey, and I became a triple major. I had Latin American studies, history, and hotel and restaurant management.
Speaker 1: It's quite a combo.
Speaker 2: Well you didn't quite know what to do with it because it was so diverse, but I figured I sat down they were College was a lot different. I mean, I went out of high school thinking I was a total idiot. I'll be honest, I did because I didn't. I didn't get it. I didn't get the grades. I didn't know the answers in the class because they were wanting me to stand up and say, you know, fourteen ninety two thirty thirty. You know, it didn't make any sense to be so I didn't bother learning it. I go to college and I'm sitting in classes in there. It's really interesting. These guys know a lot about this stuff, and their show say, well, you know what, if you read the footnotes on the bottom, then you could even get more information. And I went, oh, and that's so. I It's like I would go off on these aroundous tangents and I'd go to class and somebody would say, you know something about Galileo and I'd say, well, it's not quite there. If if you read the footnotes he did you have. So I would take books that it was like, oh my god, somebody opened up the whole world to me that I didn't know existed. So I loved college. I absolutely loved it. I loved it because I picked my classes. I had one of those screwy majors. I go off to the work world and I realized as I'm graduating that firstly, I don't want to most of the people who were like, you know history Latin American were going to law school or become in the farm service. That wasn't of interest to me. So and I had this program in you know, hotel and restaurant management. I'd worked in restaurants through college, so I said, I think I want to go do that. So I got a job working for AR Food Services, which is a large food service corporation and they ran hotels and programs throughout the whole world. So I went to work for them, and I worked in Venezuela in Macuto, and they sent us there because the the hotel had been owned by Hilton originally and the company the country had nationalized it and suddenly bus boys became managers and they ran it right into the ground. So they went so they went out and looked for bids. So Aar said, sure, we'll come and run the hotel. We want all the money up front, and we'll send our team. Well, our team was eight young guys and ladies who this was our first job. So we went there and we were there to suppose to help to train them so that they could become run the thing themselves. Well, they weren't really interested in training. They were interested in other stuff, so we ended up having to run the hotel. So I spent a year there living in the hotel, not seeing a heck of a lot of Venezuela or Columbia. So a little bit on some breaks, but basically I just worked there and put the money aside because I was not spending any money because I wasn't going anywhere and I was living in an hotel for free and eating for free. So after a year that the contract was ready to end, it had not worked out well. The company was ready to just the contract ran out. They were having trouble collecting the rest of their money from the government, and they said, come on home, we're going to well reassign you all. And I came home. I had to set down. I had a conversation with my father and I said, I effing hate this job. I have no life. A lot of the people I'm working with our total jerks. It's not something I want to do for the rest of my life. He said, well, you've got a lot of money because you've been banking it. You haven't done anything with it. Take some time off and figure out what you want to do. At the time, I had a girlfriend who was this who who is a special ed teacher teaching At the time, they called them rehearted individuals. No, we don't use that term. Yeah, we don't use Yeah. Well I went into work with her because I had plenty of time I was hanging out, and I really loved it. I loved working with the kids. I loved explaining to the kids how things work. I said, this is something I ever think I want to do, So I got a job. I did that for a couple about two or three months, and I got a job working teaching special education and running a program. They called it resource room, but it was not a resource room. It was basically a self contained program for high school students in Wildwood, New Jersey. Now wild Wood in the winter is not We used to call it dead Wood. It's not a place you really want to spend time. But it was a great learning experience for me because number one, I hadn't gotten through any I hadn't taken any coursework. Yet they hired me because I was big and the kids were emotionally disturbed, and I said, I really want to do this and I want to do it right. So I was I went back to school and went nights and the state of New Jersey at the time where they were paying for the for you to go and get certified because they really need a special ed teachers. So I went and got certified. At the end of the year, I realized that there's something I really wanted to do, and I moved to a different job. That led to a whole bunch of may b I think I was in that was in middle school job, and I was working with kids who had learning issues. In those days, it was they weren't as well defined as they are now, but so it was a conglamoration of everybody under the sun. It was kids who had social emotional problems. It was kids who had severe learning issues, it was kids who had led a capability to learn specific task. So it was all that stuff thrown into one place. But it was really fun and it was exciting. So that led to me saying, you know what, I want to go and do more and I so I went on and went to graduate school and I went to the University of Florida in Gainesville. While I was in Florida, and it was there were so many different opportunities to learn and grow, So it led to a lot of other I got it. I was in a program for training special administrators and and also learning disabilities at the time, so it was a it was a good program. I went from there my first when I completed my first internship, which was at the Latchua County because in Florida all of the school systems are county based, Wachua County school System and I was worked with the director of Special Heed at the time, and that was cool, but it wasn't It didn't require a lot of my thought process. That required a lot of just make sure you cross all the t's and dot all the eyes.
Speaker 1: That's the part that I mean, you can do.
Speaker 2: That, but it was something I learned how to do that, but I never liked it, so I said, this is not something I want to do. So I went back and met with Chuck Forgnan, who was my advisor at the time, and he had worked for the federal government for a lot of years and came to Florida and he got me a job in the in the Department of Education. So I went to Washington to work on it with a in a program called Aid to the States. And what aids to the States was. It was a program to help school states, not school districts, but states implement PL ninety four, which was prior to IDA and prior to the special head laws. So I learned a lot there for just.
Speaker 1: A second, and for folks who are not coming from the same background that Ethan and I do, those are the original laws that got students with disabilities a guaranteed public school education right.
Speaker 2: And my job really when I first began, my job was basically I was on the phone, calling and talking to parents and people who were trying to figure out how to manipulate the system. More work through the system, but more negotiate the system. And I heard horrendous stories. I heard stories about kids literally being locked handcuffed to a radiators and locked in rooms, and I mean the schools didn't know what to do with the kids, so they were doing everything they could and rubber rooms, the whole routine. But it was a real eye of when I realized how much that particular program was needed, and it gave me an opportunity. I watched Tom Irban, who was the director and had been the original author, along with with Noel who was who was a state center from Connecticut, and so I had a chance to talk to all those people who were involved in that and watch it, and it was just amazing. It was amazing to watch them. It was amazing to watch people get involved in things that they always knew were wrong. We didn't know how to fix. This provided them the opportunity. And Jimmy Carter was I mean, I've heard lots of nasty things about him as a president, but I have to say he was probably one of the smartest, nicest people I ever met. And while I was there, I mean he would come through ever regularly and just talk to us and say, you know, ask us how it was going and what we needed to do differently. So it was a real life when it for me. So I was there for two years a half a year as an intern, and then I spent a year and a half providing services for students who were in US protectorates and helping and working with the Department Defense in their schools helping them implement it. So it was a great job, but there was a lot of traveling and it was real I was not making any connections I was making. It was an amazing job, but it wasn't something I knew I wanted to do. For the rest of my life. And most people who went to there didn't stay forever years.
Speaker 1: It's a person that's a job for a single person, a person who doesn't really want to settle down, doesn't want to get to know people, doesn't want to have I.
Speaker 2: Know, I think there were there were family people there, but their families were all in DC and they made it work. And plus I met my wife at the time too, which sort of added to the excitement.
Speaker 1: But it reminds us though, how immensely disenfranchised individuals and disabilities were. You know, people didn't know what to do. Sometimes people were afraid of these folks, but the reality was is they were treated horrifically and in ways that were so massively incredibly inhumane. And you know, one of my one of my current worries, quite honestly at this point, is that we may be going backwards instead of forwards in the services that that we have the potential to provide. Hopefully there are enough people who have been on the front lines doing the work who understand how this needs to happen that we're not going to We're not going to reverse ourselves back to something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you, and I think it's it's hard, but there's some things I learned along the process. And for that, I mean I watched the institutionalization, which never worked out correctly, but which basically, just for people who don't know it was really removing. For many years, people with severe disabilities were housed in large institutional settings and they thought that, I mean, they had workshops and they had things going on, but they thought that was the best method. And we realized it was not the best method. But it took a lot of work to figure that all out. But so I left there and I went to work as a director of special education, and I did that in four different districts. I was an assistant to the superintendent, I was an assistant superintendent, I was a director. I did that for many years and worked in Stanford for the end of my career. Prior to that had been Edgemont, which to Scarsdale and New York and a lot of other places, but East Brunswick, New Jersey, you know, a whole bunch of places. But and that was cool. I mean it was because I was a problem solver and I love problem solving and I don't work real well for other people. That's no secret. So I always had bosses in the fact, when I would do an interview, I would interview because they were looking for people with specific skill sets and I had that skill set. I would interview them as well and say, you know, this is not going to work. What day he wants me to do? I want? I can't do. And it took some hard learning to do. I had a boss, a superintendent who I absolutely loved. It was the smartest, kindest person you ever met when I worked in Edgemont, and he retired for a lot of different reasons. And the new person who came in was not none of those things, and I, you know, and he and I had a major discussion because he was He didn't He saw his role as bypassing a system that had a specific purpose. Kids were identified for a reason. They weren't identified so they could get an extra time on it taking a college board test. The kids who needed services shouldn't be denied those services. And we need to not always be looking at the bottom line. We need to always look at the bottom line, but we need to look at the bottom line and how do we best service people and not how do we save a few bucks here, a few bucks there so we can turn it into put it towards the football program.
Speaker 1: We're getting a little closer to the end of our time together. But I think one of the things that I find that people don't understand is that the money you spend educating students that have a variety of different disabilities when they're in K to twelve situations is money well spent because when they become adults, whether they are people who continue to need assistants or whether they don't need assistants, they will always need less than what they would need. If we don't give them what they need.
Speaker 2: K to twelve totally will go on.
Speaker 1: And I think that's a piece that people sometimes are forgetting. I mean, I spent a good portion of my career except for the time that I was teaching at the university, which I was still doing some of the stuff. Anyways, with adults that have disabilities, people will be adults with disabilities potentially significantly longer then they will be school age folks. But if we don't do the right thing by them school age as adults, they will be very expensive.
Speaker 2: It's no question about that. Plus, they have a better quality of life than the people around them have a better quality of life.
Speaker 1: So the oh yeah, yeah, family, yeah, everybody, everybody benefits from it.
Speaker 2: You know how many other questions you want to ask me?
Speaker 1: Well, I do have one question, and this is partially biased because you and I know each other, but you kind of you have a little bit of a superpower, you know, a sort of contextual strength. I used to get emails at I don't know what godly hour of the day it was. Here's five articles I read, and I thought you might be interested in them, But in five minutes, I think you read those five articles. You have an incredible capacity for absorbing a large amount of information in a really short period of time and synthesizing it to something that's useful. Do you think that's part of your ADHD?
Speaker 2: Totally. I think it's two things. I think it was my training when I was little, meeting in elementary school. And secondly, is it's stuff interested me? So then I read it, and then I say, oh, my gosh, Laurie's interested in this and she was talking to me about this, And then here's another article I just see here that so yet to answer your question, it's my It's definitely part of my I wouldn't say it's a disability, I'd say part of my makeup. Yeah, No, I think I'm not sure it's a superpower. Sometimes it's pain in the buttets people around me, sometimes because I'm moving in places that they aren't there yet. And that was one thing I really had to learn when I went into doing administration in public schools was to slow down and take a deep breath and realize that not everybody was going to be where I was going to be, and how do I help to bring them along? Because a lot of times once you bring them along, they add stuff to it. You know. People used to joke about the fact that I was a big idea person and not great on details. I mean, I knew how to do details than to my father, because you don't grow up on a farm and learn not to do details. But I always hired people or have brought people along with me who were detail oriented people because they're very important. They're the people that make it happen, and that's not something I do as well. And I bless my wife. I always say my children were raised by a single powerent Karen, because I would say let's go on a trip, and she'd say, okay, well, did we do Blake blog, Blake Boygan? What are we gonna do with the dog d? You know?
Speaker 1: And that's Karen, you know.
Speaker 2: So the answer is yeah, so yeah, just sort of summarize it. There's probably if I say there's what's the superpower, I'd say learning the word no. Through my my earlier part of my life, meaning high school, I was always trying to fit in, trying to figure out a way to fit in, trying to work around, trying to fit in, trying to do stuff that I couldn't do because I wanted to please people. And I realized after a while when people ask me to do things that I knew weren't right, or I didn't fit into who I was, or I couldn't see a purpose for them, I learned to say no, you know. And I had bosses who would come to and say to me, you are the biggest Pia in my but you get the job done and you care about kids, and that's really what it. Know who you are, know where you're working, where you're going to and always. I mean that journaling stuff was wonderful because what it taught me to do was think about what I did today and think about what I need to do tomorrow. And that's a lot of what it would It is when you're whether you're diverging in one way or you're divergent in another way, as long as you have a play, you have some kind of roadmap, and you don't and you don't move off of that roadmap, meaning not I'm not talking about being inflexible. I'm talking about understanding that you might have to go to go to Pittsburgh, you might have to go to Miami, and somebody else will go directly to Pittsburgh. But while you're going to Miami, you're also stopping and learning about Cajun food, you know, or whatever. So it's all a matter of how do you get there and where do you go? And a lot of kids, unfortunately walk away feeling that they're failures or that there's something wrong with them, when actually there's something wrong with the system that's there and they so they need to learn those skills of saying no, realizing who I am, and also realizing that they have something to add to the picture. If they don't feel like they have something to add to the picture, they do all the stuff. I worked at a crisis intervention line for a number of years, and a lot of those people when you would talk to them on the phone or we'd go out and go out as a team to meet with them, they didn't see any solutions they saw because nobody had ever helped them to figure out that there are solutions. All they heard was learn from your failures. Well, guess what if you're an average I have four kids, and some of them they would quickly they would figure out. I always describe my daughter, my oldest daughter, Andrea, she'd take a test and if she didn't get one hundred on it and she got a ninety eight, the first thing she would say is what what what's going on with this? With the two points I didn't get? And what do I need to learn? My youngest daughter has a has a learning disability. She would say I failed again because she when you fail a lot, you don't learn from your failures. You can't if you failed one or two times, then you say, okay, this is how I change it. So the biggest trick, like we spend a lot of time teaching Erica that guess what there are other solutions, and guess and you are not a failure. You are you're a success. In your own right. She is right, and she's an adult and she's done quite well. But so that's the other thing we need to walk away with kids who are divergent learners or or thinkers. Is it's okay to be different. It's okay to say no. It's okay as long as you know where you're going. Don't say no just for the sake of saying no. Say no if it doesn't fit into where you need to go and where you yourself think you need to be. And if that doesn't happen, it's it hurts them, it hurts people around them, and they don't walk away from them winning and they walk away and losing.
Speaker 1: I think you know, a role that parents and professionals really have for these folks is to help them find find their spot, find their find their find what it is that works for them, and have them really capitalize on them. So I really appreciate you spending this time with me. I think I say this every single time that I do a podcast. The time always goes incredibly fast. But I really appreciate you taking taking the time to share, to share your journey with us. Think it's a it's a good example of the fact that things don't always quite go in the line that folks thought that they should have. I think that we need to reproduce that elementary school program that you went to because it sounds pretty effective. And you know, I'm very grateful for you for you taking the time to spend with us.
Speaker 2: So thank you for It's always enjoyed talking to you, Laura. Yeah, we do a lot of talking, so.
Speaker 1: So all right, well, thank you and thank you, and thank your daughters for the fact that you've now dropped their names into the into the podcast. Hopefully down.
Speaker 2: They're used to it.
Speaker 1: Okay, take care, Thank you, are we good? Thank you for listening to universally unique exploring the neurodiverse world of the extraordinary. Join me doctor Lourie on trans Information Talk Radio every second and fourth Monday at eleven thirty Pacific time as we continue to explore navigating the world not designed for diversity, for advocacy and support for individuals with disabilities. Let's connect. Learn more about consulting and life coaching at Notopallisticconsulting dot com.