Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's time for swamp Watch. I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops.
Speaker 1: Here we got.
Speaker 3: The real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 2: The other side never quits.
Speaker 1: So what I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 4: So now now you train the squat.
Speaker 2: I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been. You know, Murvans have always been going at President. They're not stupid.
Speaker 5: A political plunder is what a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 2: Have the people voting for you were not swamp watch? They're all counterned.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 5: President Trump was on Capitol Hill today to try to deliver a message to House Republicans ahead of the vote on this massive bill for his domestic agenda. He wants them to stop fighting. He wants them to get this thing passed as soon as possible. In a closed door meeting that took place, the President spoke afterwards. Hear from him in a second The President took aim at a block of Republicans who have been pushing for a higher cap on the deduction that their constituents can take for state and local taxes. It's known as salt. He's also warning conservative hardliners against the deep cuts to Medicaid. This comes as at a I guess you would argue a critical time for the Speaker of the House, Mike Johnson, who is trying to steer the party line. He's trying to trying to make everybody happy here. This multi trillion dollar bill would be one of the largest bills ever passed by Congress, just in sheer size, in terms of the money that it that it's that it deals with. After the meeting, President Trump came out and said, everyone's happy.
Speaker 2: No shouting.
Speaker 1: There was no shouting that I think it was a meeting of love. There were a couple of things that we talked about.
Speaker 3: Specifically where some people felt a little bit one way or the other not a big deal, and I covered them.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't so much a speech.
Speaker 3: I covered certain points.
Speaker 5: Car Samenez out of New York, Florida, Sorry, Florida Congressman UH Republican had said that this issue of the state and local taxes, which has been one of the main sticking points, is going to be workout. He says, they they will find some some common ground on it.
Speaker 3: Well, we will find the middle ground, uh for that will satisfy those in the blue states, uh that you know are asking for the an additional you know, state and local tax deduction, uh, and those that want the more spending cuts. Again, these are these are issues around the edges.
Speaker 7: UH.
Speaker 3: They're not the main part of this bill.
Speaker 6: And UH.
Speaker 3: And so I am confident that we will find uh that that sweet spot. You know, Speaker Speaker Johnson has a great ability of getting people together, is well respected by everybody, and you know in our conference.
Speaker 5: So that issue of these state and local tax deductions that right now, it would boost the salt cap up to thirty thousand dollars that you can deduct from your federal taxes based on the state and local taxes that you pay as much up to thirty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Currently it's at ten thousand.
Speaker 5: Pro salt Republicans say that that is way too low, and Trump says, hey, you gotta let it go. He specifically went after Mike Lawler, a Republican out of New York, who could potentially be running for governor by the way, and he said, end it, Mike, just end it. According to at least a couple of the lawmakers who saw this, Nick Laloda, also in New York, said we need a little more salt on the table to get to yes.
Speaker 2: Specifically.
Speaker 5: He also Trump apparently said to Lawler, if you, he said, I know your district better than you do, and if you lose because of salt, you were going to lose anyway. One of the others that he's going after is Thomas Massey, Republican congressman out of Kentucky, who can't be told to do anything. This is a guy, I guess you would say in the in the vein of the senator from his state in Kentucky, of Rand Paul, who is not going to toe the party line. If he doesn't, he doesn't, He doesn't tow the party line just to tow the party line. Thomas Massey is a giant no on this more because of the deficit spending than any other issue. He thinks that we can't continue to spend our way into oblivion. That's what Thomas Massey has said and he's been a no on other bills before that have spent a lot of money. Trump told reporters that Massey should be voted out of office and that other reconciliation opponents should be should possibly face primary challenges. Of course, Thomas Massey doesn't care what the President says and is still a no. He's not going to be threatened and has stood up to Trump before, so that's not a giant surprise.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 5: Coming up at noon, President Trump is also expected to unveil plans for an iron dome system here in the United States.
Speaker 2: He would call it.
Speaker 5: The Golden Dome in order to protect the United States from any threat of missiles coming in from North Korea or elsewhere. It's very similar to if you're old enough to remember, the Star Wars program. Experts say it could cost The Golden Dome program could cost anywhere from tens of billions to hundreds of billions, depending on how it is set up, how thorough it is. Trump's going to be joined by the Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and General Michael Goutline, the vice chair a vice chief of Space Operations for the Pentagon. He is the one that's being asked to lead the Golden Dome project, so that's coming up at noon today. Up next, we'll be talking about what your brain does in those AHA moments. But a quick question. There's a study that came out. We're going to talk about it more tomorrow when we get into parenting issues with Justin Warsham when he comes along. But children and teenagers of any age who sip or taste alcohol with their parents' permission, that's a key, are more likely to engage in risky drinking in young adulthood. Did you did you drink with your parents' permission when you were underage? Or do you allow your kids to drink if they're not twenty one? And what impact do you think that made on your kids? Leave us a talkback message. Hit that little button as you're listening on the app and send us a quick message. Do you drink underage? Did you drink underage? Do you allow your kids to drink underage? And what's you're thinking behind that? So we'll talk about that a little bit later and then rejoin it revisit it tomorrow as well. The AHA moments look different in your brain. We'll talk about those aha moments we come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: You ever have one of those moments when you are trying to solve a puzzle, or maybe something as simple as watching a TV show a murder mystery, and you figure out who did it before they tell you who did it. There was a study that came out of Duke University in the University of Berlin that talked about these light bulb moments, these Aha moments when a solution suddenly clicks in your head and it shows it's not just it's just not just satisfying that you solved this puzzle, whatever it was, that there's an actual physical change that goes on in your brain and how it processes that information and then stores that information and makes that kind of an Aha moment that solution so much more memorable than something that you just learn over time that's repeated, they said. They the researchers referred to these as Eureka moments and why we tend to remember the solutions that we came to through sudden insight as opposed to stuff that we learned through routine methods. New study Nature communications. If you get your local checkout after you're done looking at the classifieds. It came out this week's Nature Just Communications. During this experiment, they participants tried to identify objects in abstract black and white images they're called mooney images while they were inside and MRI scanner. And after they identified each job object, they rated how suddenly the solution came to them, how certain they felt about their answer, and about how positive they felt about solving it. And then about five days later they would ask participants to remember those solutions, and they said that those solutions discovered with the high level of insight AHA, that kind of insight were remembered about twice as well as those that found through gradual recognition. Something in there triggers your brain to store it in a specific area that gives it more importance than something you would learn over a routine, certain routine in your life. The brain scans revealed that during those moments, visual processing areas showed mark changes in how they represented information. And at the same time you get emotional about it, your emotional center in the amygdala and the hippocampus become more active and better synchronized with that visual area that you're in and that when we experience the high levels of insight again the aha, the Eureka moments, there are stronger shifts in the activation patterns within the brain regions that process solution relevant information, particularly the visual cortext for visual problems. These areas work very closely in the brain's emotional and memory systems and that form that interconnected network. I know it's not Thursday, it's not strange science, but this is an important thing, and they said it is very important for low earning as well, because outside of just the you know, the rote practice. Think I don't know, multiplication tables when you're in elementary school. If you can find a way to teach a kid an elementary school a way to work out the mathematical problems to an AHA moment as opposed to just practicing them, then sometimes those will stick better than the regular routine practice of here you go, this is what your times tables are going to be, and this is how you memorize them. So that's that's good. You can always leave us a talk back message. Just sit that little microphone button while you're listening on the iHeart app. I mean, my wife did it, so I guess everybody gets.
Speaker 2: Jim, I'm just trying to follow your instructions.
Speaker 6: Did you want beef or salmon tonight?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Jim, I said beef.
Speaker 3: Actually, hey, Gary, you know the Boles man of secrets.
Speaker 4: I thought maybe you were coming over to my house.
Speaker 5: Tonight forploy.
Speaker 2: And a hot dog?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: Okay, don't play that.
Speaker 3: That was horrible.
Speaker 4: That was really a joke just for me.
Speaker 2: Well now you shared it with everybody, Gary bro Yeah, that message from your wife wasn't hey, you know what do you want for dinners?
Speaker 4: More like?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: And I am the show? And Shannon's out there? Because their two days when you guys are by yourself, you're a kind of hard to listen. You guys are too newsy, you know what I mean? So just an idea, have a good day? Are you my wife's agent?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 2: Is that? That's what I don't quite understand?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: The Shannon's out today. She will be back on Friday for our news and Bruise. We're going to be live at Bravery Brewing in Lancaster and we would love it if you would come on out there. Great way to kick off Memorial Day weekend. We have some surprises that we've got going on. We have some stuff that we're going to be giving away. Bart from Bravery is going to be giving some swag away. They've got Bravery's kf Ips, the beer that they've rooted for us. Again, slightly different recipe this time, but he already tasted it and said it's already fantastic. The Bravery Pizza Kitchen will be open and they'll be serving lunch, et cetera, so you can go on out there and get the Gary and Shannon Show pizza. We'll tell you on Friday what's going to be on that pizza. And then the best part about it, I think is not only you get to hang out watch the show on the patio at a great place in great Weather. After the show, after the live show, we're going to be recording the Gas Weekend Fix, which is the podcast that shows up on Saturday mornings. We'll be recording it live in front of everybody that's there. So it'd be a great time for you to go on out and meet us, hang out, have a great time, and take part in that podcast that we record.
Speaker 2: Right after that.
Speaker 5: All right, a whole series of Tearing the Sky stories to get to.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about it when we come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand KFI.
Speaker 5: The FAA confirmed that yet another system outage occurred at the facility that handles flights in and out of Newark Liberty International Airport. And why not that's where we begin our Terror in the Skies.
Speaker 4: Flights to zero niner orlayer for day off, Roger, get off my plane, Roderick Rodgers.
Speaker 2: What's our Victor?
Speaker 4: Victor?
Speaker 2: En is enough?
Speaker 1: I have a hand to put these munkey fight and snakes on this money. It's Gary and Shannon's Terror in the Skies on KFI.
Speaker 5: So the FAA is investigating a brief radio system outage at the Philly Air Traffic Control Center that is responsible for handling flights at Newark International Newark Liberty International Airport.
Speaker 2: There in New Jersey.
Speaker 5: This is not good. It doesn't get much better when I play the sound for you.
Speaker 2: Sorry about that.
Speaker 3: I thought United had cleared well before that. Stare for a moment and I'm got to get together United and in the way we'll get you up for the owent man.
Speaker 2: Why does he have to get the other United out of the way? Oh, I don't know. Because the radio went out.
Speaker 5: Lost the radar frequency again.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: The FAA said the control tower lost radio frequencies for two seconds yesterday morning at about eleven thirty New Jersey time. Despite that, everything remained safely separated.
Speaker 2: There were no big deals.
Speaker 5: But this is the fourth time since April twenty eighth, the fourth time that there has been a system outage of some duration at the Philly Air Traffic Control Center that's responding for these responsible for these flights to come into Newark. After the April incident, there was a second outage on May ninth that interrupted communications for about ninety seconds. There were more flight disruptions. There was a third outage two days after that which halted flights. Staffing shortages linked to the April incident led to white spread delays. They've been having construction issues with that Newark airport that we've told you about many times. In the first couple of incidents, both April twenty eighth and in May ninth, they had really bad weather. It was very overcast and foggy in that area, so they had other natural delays that were going to occur. Sean Duffy is the Secretary of Transportation. He said earlier this month that we are in the midst of upgrading our air traffic control system, but it is going to take some time. They include updating the system with new software, with new equipment, and he says that this revamp is going to cost tens of billions of dollars. Right now, we know that the FAA system relies on technology that was outdated before I graduated from high school, and that in some cases the FAA has had to resort to buying equipment on eBay, replacement parts on eBay, or even making them on their own using three D printers because some new components are unavailable for that same outdated equipment. Obviously, there are problems with the shortage of air traffic controllers in the US. More than ninety percent of the nation's airport towers are considered to be inadequately staffed. They fall short of standards that were set by the working group from the FAA and the Controllers Union that put them together. So no word today on an outage near Newark, but not good because yet another one has prompted problems and delays and they will continue at Newark for some time. Nearby up in that same area, there was a close call at LaGuardia Airport between two commercial jets currently under investigation by the FAA and NTSP. This is one of many of the close calls, the go arounds, and the accidents that has prompted calls for changes to that aviation system, not just air traffic control, but the way the FAA operates on a very general basis. So this happened right about twelve thirty in the morning on May sixth, and air traffic controller canceled the takeoff clearance for American Eagle flight forty seven thirty six because a United flight was taxing on that same runway, so he had to yell. The controller had to yell brickyard forty seven thirty six stop Brickyard is the call sign they use for Republic airways, and then rejected takeoff runway thirteen. Said the pilot, sorry about that. I thought United had cleared well before that, according to the controller. So the United flight that was coming in that evening from Houston carrying one hundred and seven passenger six crew members, the planes were about a quarter mile apart when the flight that was taking off hit the brakes, and the FAA said it's also investigating another like I said, radio outage at Newark. These close calls like this, yeah, they happen. One way I heard it to describe today is they need to stop calling them near misses, because that makes it sound like they were separated. But if you called it, if you just changed the nomenclature, if all you did was say we had a near hit at LaGuardia, that it would have changed pretty significantly and in fact, would make people think differently about how dire.
Speaker 2: The situation is.
Speaker 5: When it comes to the tens of thousands of flights that operate throughout the United just the United States, the tens of thousands of flights that operate in the United States each and every day, how many of these close calls are there? I'm surprised there are not more. But again, some instances like this one, today's the ninth, today's the twentieth, and we're only finding out about it two weeks later. Unless you were the pilot or the air traffic controller, this stuff isn't advertised very often. So that's just a couple of the of the stories. There are a couple more, a couple more terror in the Sky stories. One of them is actually a love story, Love in the skies, and one is a door dash story, which doesn't make sense because you would think, what does a door dash driver have to do with the terror in the skies. But we'll tell you more about that coming up. Also, taking your talkbacks, did you drink as a kid?
Speaker 2: I don't mean.
Speaker 5: That to be flippant, but there's a study out that talks about how it is people respond when they're allowed to drink alcohol with their parents as a teenager or a kid, what that does to them in terms of predictions about their future behavior.
Speaker 4: Hi, guys, I've got six kids and I've always let them taste alcoholic beverages. We've never been big alcohol drinkers in my household, although you know, I ran the when I was a kid. But all of my kids have found that they disliked the taste of alcohol, and that's the reason I let them try it, so that they don't like it, so then as they grew older they don't care for it. At least that's been my experience.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's experienced for a lot of people. Some people had said that their parents were teetotalers and they never drank. Others said that they grew up in an alcoholic family, so that was always available to them and they just fell out of love with it because they saw what was what it was doing to their adults in the house, to their relatives, to mom, to dad, to whatever. So leave us your talk back. If you're listening on the app, hit that little microphone button. And if you were allowed to drink when you were a teenager, did it effect the way that you handled alcohol in the future or do you allow your kids to do it? You allow your kids to drink alcohol with permission. We'll talk about all of that later on in the show. We'll also revisit it tomorrow with Justin Warsham. We do our parenting segment more in the skies though. Right around the corner you're.
Speaker 1: Listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: We were asking for talkbacks of your experience. Did you allow your kids to drink when they were teenagers or did you drink as a teenager and how it affected how you looked at alcohol for the rest of your life.
Speaker 7: I have to assume Child Protective Services is listening to these phone calls. No, that's what I'm going to refrain from talking about my alcoholic tendencies in my childhood.
Speaker 5: Okay, have a good one, Gary, Well, if it was your childhood, there's not much they're going to be doing about it now.
Speaker 2: So the other thing is, no, they're not, No, they are not.
Speaker 5: We're in the midst of an extended terror in the skies segment today, we talked about so those near misses that had happened, one of them at LaGuardia just a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 6: What's up, Gary, justin here from Riverside, a former flight instructor and was just listening to terror in the skies or talking about that near miss on the runway, And we call those runway incursions and they do, indeed have different categories by the FA, so A through D for severity A which is like a near myst that was actually narrowly avoided, to D, which was just there was an aircraft or vehicle where they shouldn't have been, which, like you said, would be helpful to categorize those customer severe and some are not, but they all have been publicized quite a bit lately.
Speaker 2: Justin thank you for that. Appreciated.
Speaker 5: But speaking of here's an incursion a car where it shouldn't have been On Saturday, a door Dash driver made his way onto Chicago O'Hare International Airport grounds. Now I'm not talking about driving through the terminal. I mean through a restricted area, and they said may have accidentally driven over taxiways while trying to find his way back out of the airport. Thirty six year old driver making a delivery, he accessed the airside areas, how they referred to it.
Speaker 2: And you know who caught him or you know who noticed him.
Speaker 5: The air traffic controllers in the tower saw this unauthorized vehicle making its way through secured parts of the airport. They may have crossed multiple internal roads and potentially even taxiways before they were noticed by the air traffic controllers. Airport authorities were able to intercept this guy. They questioned him. He said he was completely there by mistake, no big deal, accidentally drove to within that secured area, no malicious intent, no charges, no citations anything. Door Dash also had to come out. They acknowledged the event. They're actively reviewing the details around exactly what happened. This is not the first time that this has happened. Amazingly, you drive around Lax, you drive around Burbank, It's hard to find a place to get in that even looks like you could get in if you're unless you're going through the normal concourse in front of the airport. A former air traffic controller said that this was pretty frightening. This guy also flew business jets. Emphasized how dangerous it could have been because he says, imagine if this had been at night. Imagine if this was harder for air traffic controllers to identify that as an unauthorized vehicle. Yeah, you got headlines rolling around, but you got headlights for other vehicles that are traveling within that airside portion of the airport that are fine. Headlights all look the same in the dark, he said, And it could have been really, really bad. Chicago's major airports experienced several similar breaches. In April of last year, a city owned vehicle went on an active taxiway at O'Hare without prior clearance that prompted a near miss, if you want to call it that an incursion with a regional aircraft. That was one of at least three runway or taxiway access violations involving ground vehicles at O'Hare during that year. Chicago Midway there was just in February Chicago midway, there was a flex Jet Challenger three point fifty business jet that crossed an active runway without authorization and if you remember that, that forced a Southwest flight to abort its landing just a few seconds before a touchdown. But okay, let's send the terrans in the skies with a positive story. Shally, there's a woman from Ohio who's.
Speaker 2: Had a chance encounter with a handsome pilot.
Speaker 5: If you will, Tanya is her name, not even going to try her last name because it doesn't make sense. It's just a bunch of letters, she says. Every time I tell the story, people think I'm making it up. She's flying home with her family to Cleveland. She catches this guy checking her out while she's at the airport in Charlotte, North Carolina. Sees that this guy has a pilot's uniform on Hello, and that he's a head taller than everybody else.
Speaker 6: Hello.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 5: She didn't think anything of it until she gets onto her flight Frontier and sees that this guy, Wesley, was on the same plane as he was in uniform. She initially thought, oh, that's our pilot, realized he was actually off duty. He's just deadheading to a different flight headed to Ohio. He gave Tanya's nephew a wave as she was carrying the kid down the aisle to her seat toward the back of the plane. She then didn't interact with him for the rest of the flight until they land, when he approaches her with a note, She said, I'm sitting in a row towards the back. About twenty minutes before landing. I got a tap on my shoulder and it's that guy handing me a napkin.
Speaker 2: I made my mom and my sister read. At first, I was freaking out.
Speaker 5: This message read again, written on a napkin of a Frontier airline's flight. Hi, I'm sure you get notes like this all the time, but I would love to take you out to dinner and get to know you.
Speaker 2: If that's something you'd be up for, let me know, and then he dropped his digits.
Speaker 5: She later learned the pilot had never asked out anyone before, let alone somebody on a plane, and had to be hyped up by one of the flight attendants who helped him right on the napkin.
Speaker 2: She said.
Speaker 5: She texted the guy the next day and they have been together ever.
Speaker 2: Since so.
Speaker 5: You can find love in the air twelve o'clock hour when we come back, not only have we got more information about the trending stories, we have a couple of true crime stories to get to, including how the crypto bros Are going after each other. Nothing like a little physical assault to make you feel better about your crypto farming.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 5: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.